Speaker 1: You're listening to Wake Up Call on demand from KFI AM six forty KFI and KOST HD two Los Angeles, Orange County.
Speaker 2: It's time for your morning wake up call. Hey, good morning. This is your wake up Call Monday, May fifth. I'm Heather Brooker in for Amy King, who is on a much deserved vacation. We hope she is having a wonderful time enjoying herself in Paris. Actually a little bit jealous over here. I want to say good morning to the wake Up Call crew. We've got Cono. Good morning, Cono, Good morning Other. Good to you you too. I'm so happy to be here with you guys. And good morning to producer Ann. Hello. Oh is she ready? She's not ready.
Speaker 3: Hi.
Speaker 2: You just saying good morning to you. Oh it's okay, Hi, it's startled she is. And speaking of startling, good morning, Will.
Speaker 4: Sorry.
Speaker 2: Will came in this morning and he made some insane noise when he walked in, and I nearly fell out of my chair. I screamed so loud that Cono jumped.
Speaker 5: It's usually me in the other room, comes around the corner and scares the Bejesus Saturday.
Speaker 2: But well, I'm awake sure, turn thank you for that. Will I am awake now. I also want to say a special good morning to my husband, the love of my life for twenty four years, Chris Brooker. Today is our anniversary, the anniversary. Ew, thank you. So he's fast asleep. I'm sure he'll listen when he wakes up. But either way, I am so happy to be here with you all. I am just here keeping Amy seat warm for a few days, and she will be back next week. All right, let's get started. Here's what's ahead on wake Up Call. Should the La City Council take a pay cut, Well, one local group says yes, and they want leaders to follow. What Mayor Bass is doing is the city faces a big budget crisis. President Trump says he wants a one hundred percent tariff on movies made outside the US foreign film incentives a national security threat. The move targets countries like Australia and New Zealand that offer tax breaks to Hollywood productions. Critics warn it could hurt global filmmaking and strain international ties. The last official day of mourning for Pope Francis wrapped up at the Vatican on Sunday, and a papal conclave will begin on Wednesday, May seventh to choose his successor. Ahead on wake Up Call at five oh five, President Trump made some comments during an interview with Meet the Press that have some questioning his loyalty to the Constitution. We're going to tell you what he said and what his team says he really meant. Five twenty May is Mental Health Awareness Month, and we're going to talk to the top mental health leader in La County to find out how they're addressing mental health and substance issues for low income and the unhoused population in the county. At five point thirty five, we're going to have your financial report from Bloomberg and we're diving into Cinco de Mayo with some fun suggestions of places you can celebrate. At five fifty afar Bucks just opened its first ever three D printed store in Brownsville, Texas. We're going to talk with ABC's Jim Ryan to find out how they did it and if we will see one here in California anytime soon. Then at six oh five, it's Handle on the News. Police arrested two people in Brazil after they allegedly targeted a Lady Gaga concert. We're going to tell you what the investigation revealed so far. Let's start with some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. A pilot and a passenger on board a small plane, and a dog have been killed in a crash in Seami Valley. The plane hit two homes Saturday. When it went down ended up between the homes. This man told KTLA he saw the plane before crashed.
Speaker 6: Something was off because he was just hitting the gas on and off and then just going on circles very very low.
Speaker 2: The NTSB says it's too soon to know what caused the crash. No one on the ground was hurt. A new bill in California could prevent a tragedy.
Speaker 7: Senate Bill eight hundred has passed unanimously in the Senate Transportation Committee. If successfully passed through Sacramento, the bill would came off a pilot program requiring caltrans to install suicide deterrens like barriers and signs on ten freeway overpasses in San Bernadino County. The bill is prompted by recent tragedies, including the deaths of two high school students just weeks apart in September twenty twenty four. In Rancho Cucamonga. The city's mayor says that the bill provides much needed attention to a crisis that has shaken numerous communities. The bill now moves to the Senate Appropriations Committee. Andrew Caravella KFI News.
Speaker 2: Trial of hip hop mogul Shan Combs is starting in New York today. Prosecutors are expected to paint him as a criminal sexual devian who exploited is fame to abuse women, as lawyers say prosecutors are trying to police consensual sex and that their allegations against Combs are false. President Trump is raising some eyebrows after telling NBC's Meet the Press he's not sure if he's required to uphold the Constitution. In that same interview, he ruled out a third term and says he won't fire Federal Chair Reserve Jerome Powell. Let's say good morning to ABC's Karen Travers with the latest.
Speaker 8: Good morning, Hey, good morning to you all.
Speaker 2: Right, let's start with that big headline everybody is talking about when President Trump said I don't know when he was asked if he had to uphold the constitution. Did the White House walk that back at all or offer any clarifications.
Speaker 8: Yeah, no, they haven't. And you know that kind of tends to be the process for this White House. When the President speaks, they let those words stand. The President yesterday said, as you know, that he didn't know if he needed to uphold the constitutions due process protections. He was asked if he believed every person on American soil, citizens and non citizens, is entitled to do process guaranteed by the Fifth Amendment, and he deflected. When he was answering this, he said, I don't know. I'm not a lawyer. I don't know. He was later pushed on this, don't you need to uphold the Constitution of the United States, and he said, I don't know. I have to respond again by saying I have brilliant lawyers that work for me, and he said they're going to follow what the Supreme Court said. But he also tested that giving people due process could slow down his promise plans for mass deprecations, and that was notable to hear him say that, but he's kind of hinted that before, but now sort of spelling it out, like saying, you know, we have a million or two million or three million trials that that would be too complicated for what he's planning to do.
Speaker 2: Are there any political leaders that are responding so far as well? I mean legal experts coming forward saying we need to clarify this.
Speaker 8: Yeah. I think there are a lot of questions with the White House this week about it. But you know, when this has come up before, when the President has asked been asked these questions. You know, I asked him similar questions last week, Karen Moran, my colleague. Did we've we've kind of pushed the president on this. The White House tends to say, you know, the President's word stands on this, and that they are following what the Supreme Court order was at this point. They also say they don't engage in hypotheticals, and so that's always a tricky way to kind of get them to engage on these types of scenarios. But on the specific case where the Supreme Court has said they must facilitate the order of the man who had been wrongfully deported to El Salvador, the White House continues to say that it's not up to them, it's up to El Salvador at this point to make that happen.
Speaker 2: Now we've heard Trump kind of float the idea of a third term before, but in this interview he kind of rolled it out. And so, do you think that's a firm line or another headline grab?
Speaker 8: I mean, it certainly was more firm than we've seen.
Speaker 4: He said.
Speaker 8: So many people want me to do it, but it's something that, to the best of my knowledge, you're not allowed to do. He said, it's not something I'm looking to do. I'm looking to have four great years and turn it over to somebody. And he was asked an interesting question about whether he believes the Mega Movement his movement, could survive without him, and he said, I do. I think it's so strong and we have tremendous people, and he specifically cited Secretary of State Marco Rudio, his vice president Jadie Vance, who he said is fantastic. He also said he could name ten, fifteen, thirty other people right now, but I think it was notable to hear him specifically mention those two individuals as potential successors.
Speaker 2: All right. And finally, he also says he's not going to fire Federal Reserve Chairman Jerome Powell before his term ends. What significance does that have?
Speaker 8: You know, it's not even clear he could do that because of the independence of the Federal Reserve. But Powell is up in May of twenty twenty six. That was when his term ends, and the President said he gets to replace him in a short period of time, so he's not looking to make any moves before then.
Speaker 2: Okay, ABC's Karen Travers, thank you so much, have a wonderful morning.
Speaker 8: Have a great day. Thanks you. Thanks.
Speaker 2: Let's get back to some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. LA Mayor Bass says she'll take a pay cut as the city tries to close a nearly one billion dollar budget hole. Is tammy Truehio said. The mayor also says she'll hold off on the scheduled raises for her staff.
Speaker 9: Her office didn't specify how much of a pay cut Bass is taking or when it would go into effect. The mayor's annual salary is about three hundred thousand basses. Proposed budget of thirteen million dollars for the twenty twenty five twenty six fiscal year includes getting rid of over twenty seven hundred city positions with over sixteen hundred layoffs, and cutting over one thousand vacant jobs. Tammy Triheo KFI News.
Speaker 2: Two Democratic senators from New York say the White House has broken a promise to its own Republican leaders to restore funding for HHS programs that provide healthcare for nine to eleven first responders. Senator Kirsten Gillibrand says more people who work on nine to eleven programs were fired on Friday.
Speaker 10: President Trump and Elon Musk and the Doge Boys are slowly but surely dismantling the nine to eleven health program.
Speaker 2: Senator Chuck Schumer says he and Senator Gillibrand will not let up on the pressure. Conflict of interest questions are being asked about the Trump family's involvement in the crypto world. Former SEC official John reed Stark says the entire crypto enforcement program at the Securities and Exchange Commission has been demolished.
Speaker 3: President Trump did say he was going to do this, so he's keeping his promises.
Speaker 1: But I hope the SEC can be independent enough to say we're not going to do that.
Speaker 2: He says. All SEC investigations regarding crypto have been closed, and SEC litigations involving crypto have been dismissed or paused. At least thirty three people have been heard when a shuttle bus carrying forty one passengers crashed in Missouri. The State Highway Patrol says the driver overcorrected and hit a ditch that led to the crash on Saturday. Four people were seriously hurt, including the driver. They were taken to the hospital. The Dodgers are taking on the Marlins in Miami today with the first pitch at three forty. You can listen to all games on AM five to seventy LA Sports live from the Galpin Motors Broadcast Booth, and stream all Dodgers games in HD on the iHeartRadio app Hey Word AM five seventy LA Sports. A part of Orange County's coast is closed after four thousand gallons of sewage spilled in coast to Mesa. The closure stretches from Huntington State Beach to Newport Beach with no swimming or surfing allowed. Officials say a grease and roots blockage caused the spill. A Pasentia woman was honored. She honored fifty eight victims of the Route ninety one Harvest Festival shooting by completing her fifty eighth marathon on Sunday in Orange County. Christine Mayfield set the goal after surviving the twenty seventeen tragedy. She finished the race on Sunday in just under five hours, with over thirty six hundred runners taking part. And Marvel's Thunderbolts stormed the box office with a seventy six million dollars debut, taking the top spot from Sinners, which still pulled in a solid thirty three million dollars in its third week. Superhero Flix stars Florence Pugh, Sebastian stan and Julia Louis Dreyfus, and I highly recommend, by the way, that was a great, great movie, a lot of fun, and at six zh five it's handle on the news. President Trump told NBC's Meet the Press he's not sure if he's required to uphold the Constitution. And I know that Bill will have a lot to say about that, so you don't want to miss it. May is mental health Awareness Month, and the goal of most initiatives is to raise awareness about mental health, reduce stigma, and promote support for individuals and families affected by mental illness. Joining me now is doctor Lisa Wong, the director of the La County Department of mental Health.
Speaker 10: Hi, doctor Wang, Hello, thank you for having me today.
Speaker 2: Heather, Sure, thank you for joining me. So this is a really important topic and I'm so glad we have the opportunity to talk about it. Let's just start with what initiatives is the county working on for Mental Health Awareness Month?
Speaker 10: Well, the La County Department of Mental Health. Our Take Actions for Mental Health La County campaign encourages people to really take action on their mental health for themselves and for others throughout May, and we hope that this is just the start. This is like a launching point in May, and you know, of course, we hope this goes well beyond throughout the rest of the year. We've partnered with sixty eight different organizations and we're hosting almost one hundred and ninety different events with free activities like yoga, meditation, music, and resources. And our campaign really is about raising awareness, fostering community, and ensuring that mental health and wellbeing are priorities and accessible for everyone, especially beyond May.
Speaker 2: Now, I want to talk about something that I know is sort of a hot button issue for a lot of people, and that is the prevalence of mental illness in unhoused people. In La County, and LASA had a report that came out that said about twenty four percent of unhoused adults in La County reported having a serious mental illness. That's about fifteen thousand or more people. I would love to talk about what programs or initiatives the county is doing to support mental health or unhoused individuals.
Speaker 10: Yeah, the challenges in trauma of living unhoused can take a serious toll on a person's mental state, and homelessness often worsens existing mental health conditions or it can give rise to new mental health issues as a result of living in the house. And that's why we follow a very client centered approach for people who are both unhoused and living with a serious mental illness. This means that homeless services and mental health treatment can't really be separated out. I think having access to both whenever needed insures continuity of care and stable transitions between levels of care. Our goal at the Department of Mental Health is to make client care as seamless as possible, always striving to meet clients where they are, and we also value partner with housing authorities, the city, and other county departments to ensure mental health care is part of every housing solution. And you know, as you mentioned, a lot of people experiencing homelessness also have what we call co occurring disorders, meaning they have both a mental illness and or some kind of mental health condition and a substance use need. So in La County, probably up to forty forty five percent of unsheltered homeless individuals are estimated to have co occurring disorders. And this really underscores the importance of integrated care models and support of housing and outreach. So we've done everything we can to meet people where they are, including standing up street teams that actually go out with nurses, doctors, social workers, community health workers and peers to start, you know, forming those relationships and winning over the trust. When we're talking about people who are unhoused, especially who've had substance use issues mental health issues, they have experienced a number of system failures and a lot of times it's hard for them to then trust those same systems to come through for them.
Speaker 2: The almost issue in Lan County is very complex. It's not as black and white as a lot of people believe it is, and so is dealing with someone who has a mental illness. Can you tell us how we can identify mental health issues in ourselves and others.
Speaker 10: Well, I think you bring up some really important issues, Heather, And it's true. It's not a black and white kind of deal, right, It's very complex, very layered. People who are unhoused or in housed for many different reasons, and the way out of that has involved a lot of different kinds of solutions. So I think some things to look for in ourselves as well as others is have there been changes, you know, have you noticed a difference in sleeping patterns and eating patterns? Have you noticed a change in like what you find interesting or if you have, you know, it's kind of inertia that's developing. We often find that the earliest signs of having a mental health issue don't really involve something that you requires a hospitalization or a crisis work or anything. A lot of mental health issues develop over time. Most importantly, not be afraid to have a conversation about it.
Speaker 2: Those are all absolutely wonderful points and great advice and insights. So doctor Wang, I appreciate your time and thank you so much for talking with us.
Speaker 10: Thank you, Heather.
Speaker 2: All right, let's get back to some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. Three people have been hurt in a shooting at a park in Orange County. One of those hurt yesterday at Featherly Regional Park in Yorba Linda is the alleged shooter. Fully say a man trying to run over someone with his car before shooting two people and then himself. All three apparently knew each other. Two popular beaches in Orange County have been closed because of a sewage spill.
Speaker 11: Health officials say about four thousand gallons of sewage leaked into the water at Huntington Beach and Newport Beach, caused by a blocked we're line clogged with roots in Greece. The beaches will remain closed until the water tests safe again. County Supervisor Katrina Foley is asking everyone to follow the signs and stay out of the ocean for now. Brigida Agustino k if I is President.
Speaker 2: Trump says he's looking to reopen Alcatraz.
Speaker 3: Trump said in a post on truth Social that America has been plagued by vicious, violent, and repeat criminal offenders and that the country in the past did not hesitate to lock up the most dangerous criminals and keep them far away from anyone they could harm. He went on to say Alcatraz will house America's most ruthless and violent offenders, adding that it'll serve as a symbol of law, order and justice.
Speaker 2: Chris Carragio reports Alcatraz is on a small island about a mile from San Francisco and has stopped operating as a prison. In nineteen sixty three, a man and a teenager have been arrested in connection with an alleged plot to set off a bomb at a Lady Gaga concert in Brazil. The weekend concert drew about two million fans to the Copacamana Beach. Former FBI agent Brad Gearhart says local authorities will probably get intelligence from the FBI and other agencies because they actively monitor events like that.
Speaker 10: A high profile person like Lady Gaga are an attractive target, obviously by a number of groups or individuals.
Speaker 2: Police in Rio say the attack was allegedly planned by a group spreading hate speech against LGBTQ people. New numbers show thirty thousand people left New York City and moved to Florida between twenty eighteen and twenty twenty two. Most of them went to Palm Beach and Miami Dade counties. They took more than nine billion dollars in income with them COVID nineteen. The cost of living and the quality of life issues were the main reasons for the moves. Some New Yorkers also came to California during that time span. Vatican insiders say the decision on the next pope is now in the hands of the Holy Spirit. ABC's Inez de la Kutera says the papal conclave gets under way later this week.
Speaker 11: There are now thousands across Italy playing a fantasy football type of game to try and predict the next pope.
Speaker 12: At the top of the list right now are the Italian cardinals.
Speaker 2: The conclave is set to start Wednesday and could last up to fifteen days to Israeli official say ministers have approved a plan to capture all of the Gaza Strip and remain in the territory for an unspecified amount of time. The vote was held after hours, held after the Israeli military chiefs said the army was calling up tens of thousands of reserve soldiers. The Israeli officials say the plan is meant to help Israel achieve its goal of defeating Hamas and freeing hostages. Coles has fired CEO Andy Buchanan after the board learned he directed millions of dollars in business to incrediit Brew, a company run by a woman he had a personal relationship with. Buchanan had only held the roles since January. Former President Trump says he wants a one hundred percent tariff on movies made out the side the US, calling foreign film incentives a national security threat. The move targets countries like Australia and New Zealand that offer tax breaks to Hollywood productions, and critics are warning it could hurt global filmmaking and strain international ties. The World Health Organization warns that a billion young people worldwide are at risk of hearing loss due to unsafe listening habits. Experts say it often goes unnoticed until it worsens, with nearly twenty percent of teens already showing signs, mostly from loud music and noise exposure. Then at six oh five it's handle on the news. Catholic leaders are criticizing President Trump for sharing a photo of himself as the Pope. The AI generated image was reshared by the President on his truth social account. All right, now it's the moment we've all been waiting for. May fifth. What else is there really to talk about? Is it too early to say Cinco di drino?
Speaker 4: No, I mean not on the job, of course.
Speaker 10: No.
Speaker 2: Never, It's Cinco de Mayo everybody, And of course this is observed every May fifth. I'm a history nerd. I love talking about the history of like holidays and events and stuff like that. And in a minute, I'm gonna bug Kno and Will and producer and to find out what they like to do on Sigo to Mayo. But as you know, Seago to Mayo commemorates Mexico's victory over France at the Battle of Puebla in eighteen sixty two. And apparently we continue that tradition by just drinking margaritas and eating chips and guacamole.
Speaker 4: And made me hungry and thirsty.
Speaker 2: There you go, Will is ready to go.
Speaker 4: It's bigger here than in Mexico.
Speaker 2: Right, Oh, yeah, they don't really celebrate it in Mexico. I think it's it may even just be southern California. It may not be anywhere else in the country. All right, Will, So what do you do? Do you go out? Do you have any things that you like to do.
Speaker 5: When I was younger, I used to go out with the friends to the but it's so crowded, it's so crowded out. So we kind of started this tradition on Cinco de Mayo. We'd go to an Irish place on Saint pat the date you go to a Mexican place.
Speaker 2: Oh, you're such a rebel. I know what a rebel you are, Like, I'll show these holidays. Yeah, I have to save a little side note here. What a treat it is to be working with you again? Yes, because you know Will and I we go way back. We used to work at KTLA together a long time ago. I won't date us by saying exactly how long early even earlier than this shift, if you can believe it. And so it truly is such a treat. We used to keep each other company and laugh a lot in the newsroom over there, and now we get to do that here. Such a joy, all right, So, producer, and do you celebrate seine goo tomayo? Do you have any chipsy Sla? By the way, that was a fun fact.
Speaker 4: I didn't know that yeah, we go back.
Speaker 2: Oh what about KTLA? Yeah? Oh yeah, you guys were together. We did. Will and I have known each other for a very long time. Is that why he got to scare you without meaning what happened? Will came around the corner before, like at four point thirty in the morning, and then what's happening? So loud that I knew jumped out of my seat. I screamed so loud that I thought ConA was going to call the cops. I'm pretty sure, all right, And what do you like to do? Do you do you have any man? Isn't that a young man's game holiday?
Speaker 1: Yes?
Speaker 2: Like sure?
Speaker 11: Like it was just an excuse to go drink right now with this fun job.
Speaker 2: Who goes out drinking a night? I mean not me, that's for sure. I was in bed at like six last night trying to get well. I didn't go to bed so there, so I did party. Well, it's your heart. I know you're so tired. I think we're both gonna go on my crash after this.
Speaker 7: But yeah, so I think Kono is our Partierno.
Speaker 2: Where's where's the place to go? What should we be doing?
Speaker 10: Yeah?
Speaker 2: No, I don't party anymore. I have three kids.
Speaker 4: There's no chance that's right.
Speaker 2: No, go to drinko for you. We suck all right. So back in the day then I would say I would have a little uh I honestly, and don't come at me. Southern California. I am not a fan of Margarita's. I know. I do not like Margarita's. It is not for me. It is not There's just something about the taste I don't I don't love it. I also cannot drink tequila. It makes me just a little bit too honest, and I don't know that I should do that at this point in my life.
Speaker 4: There's actually a song called Tequila makes your Clothes fall off.
Speaker 2: Oh dang, No, it's not that not that's not not that honest, not that honest. A couple of things you might want to look into. Most of these single de Mayo events in Southern California happened over the weekend. There's a few things happening today. However, on the actual day, you can head down to see. Let's see Single to Mayo celebration at UCLA's Academy de Danza. I think that's means dance academy. That's happening on the Third Street Promenade from four to five thirty. You can also there's lots of restaurants having Sinco de Mayo food. Legendary Mexican restaurant Elcholo, they're going to be having some of their special tacos there tonight. Olvera Street did a big thing this weekend, but I'm sure some of the festivities will continue today as well, if you want to head down there. And then in Catalina, they're having a big celebration this evening at the Museum for Art and History. If you want to head on over to Catalina tonight and finish your Sinco de Mayo celebrations. So and also, as I mentioned at the top of the show, this is my anniversary. I've been married twenty four years to my main man and everyone always asks, oh, did you have this Sinco de Mayo wedding? No, we did not. We didn't. That just felt like maybe one step too far. So we just had a regular, old, regular old wedding. But the reason we picked this date was because it would be easy for us to remember when we got old five' five oh one. That was genuinely we were like, oh, that's an easy anniversary date to remember five to five oh one. So here we are. Happy anniversary again to my love Chris. All right, let's move along, you guys. Thanks for participating in my fun little uh sinco de Mayo moment. Now we're going to have some fun to get up in your business. Oh I love that we say that we're going to get up in your business with bloom Courtney Donahoe. Good morning, Courtney, good morning.
Speaker 12: By the way, my dad, who's in his late seventies, asked me yesterday if we were going out for Cinko Demaya, So you're never too old.
Speaker 2: He's also from Ireland and he loves to go out.
Speaker 12: So there we go.
Speaker 2: See, Okay, that's a good point. I love that. Yeah, we're gonna have a good time, all right, I love that.
Speaker 13: All right.
Speaker 2: So it's the end of an era, all right. This is pretty big news today. Warren Buffett stepping down after six decades running Berkshire Hathaway.
Speaker 12: Oh my goodness. And he picked the final minute of his sixtieth Berkshire Hathaway shareholder meeting over the weekend to drop this change that surprised so many, even the guy who was supposed to take over for him, didn't even know the board didn't know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so he then he dipped out and didn't answer any questions. Right, Yeah, so he's like, I'm out.
Speaker 12: But longtime Berkshire Energy executive Greg Gable he's gonna take over January first. The board just proved it within the past hour. But now the big question lots of people are pondering this morning, does Berkshire Stock actually still deserve the buffet premium when he's no longer there, And people want to know how greg Abil's going to change the business. Because Warren had a certain magic that kind of recreating that is almost impossible. There were stories that he used to go out with his children and read financial reports and be so engrossed in them that he would walk into a tree. So not many people have the stamina or the focus to be able.
Speaker 2: And also he's.
Speaker 12: Well known for having tremendous memory. So greg Abel, these are gifts that are given to you, not really something that you can kind of hone over the years. So that's something that's going to be a big difference when greg Abel steps in, and that's going to be January first.
Speaker 2: Yeah, very smart man. That will make a huge difference. I think for Berkshire Hathaway and yeah, let's talk about brides. Brides are facing tariffs. What's that about. Yeah, so we're.
Speaker 12: Probably going to see a lot more carnations instead of roses the next wedding we all attend. So one of the issues is that couples are telling the Wall Street Journal that they're planning to do their own flower arrangements because they started pricing it out with a florist. It was way too expensive. So now they're going to Trader Joe's and Costco and they're making them themselves. And other ways that couples are saving. They're cutting back on party favors. They're scrapping European for American wine. But they're also ditching the professional videographer to a content creator who shoots on a smartphone but charges about half the price.
Speaker 2: Oh, I mean, I guess there is a little bit of something to that, saving a little bit.
Speaker 12: Yeah, well, it's a very different story than how many years ago when you're getting married and happy anniversary, by the.
Speaker 2: Way, Oh, thank you so much. Yeah, we spent a lot of money on our photographer and videographer and all of that stuff.
Speaker 12: So yeah, and now they're trying to find ways because now it's so much more expensive.
Speaker 2: Does the content creator put themselves in the content? That's what I would want to know, like I see the selfie. We're also seeing a buying surge to get ahead of President Trump's auto tariffs. It looks like it's rapidly depleting the supply of duty free cars.
Speaker 12: Yeah, and this, according to Cox Automotive, of the run on showrooms has slashed new vehicle inventories by twenty four percent. That's one of the largest drops in several years. So dealerships right now have about sixty one days worth of cars on him, but that is the lowest level in nearly two years. And remember two years ago we were facing all of the issues with autos because we couldn't get the parts. So sales are expected, though, to slow down in the second half of the year as prices continue to rise due to tariffs.
Speaker 2: All right, Bloomberg's Courtney, Donah, thank you so much. We'll talk to you tomorrow.
Speaker 12: Definitely see you later.
Speaker 2: Yeah, all right, let's get back to some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty five our newsroom. The LA Urban Policy Roundtable is pushing the City Council to slash its pay. Roundtable President Earl Ofari Hutchinson says it should follow the example of Mayor Bass, who's volunteered to take a pay cut to meet LA's budget crisis. He says, in temporary ten to fifteen percent cut should work.
Speaker 4: You're not going to be out there in sack falth and ashes pushing the trash can with cans. Do the right thing again.
Speaker 2: Hutchinson says, by slashing its pay, the council would send a message that it's willing to sacrifice, as it's asking thousands of city employees threatened with layoffs to meet the crisis. The World Health Organization says a billion young people around the world risk losing their hearing because of unsafe listening habits. Audiologist MJ. Desusa with Belltone tells KFI hearing loss happens gradually, so people don't often know when they have it until it gets worse.
Speaker 13: A lot of younger people aren't aware of it until they're a little bit older. So it's really important that everyone gets a hearing screening so that any changes in your hearing can be identified early and if it needs to be treated, you can get that early intervention.
Speaker 2: The studies show nearly twenty percent of teenagers have some level of hearing loss, often due to exposure of loud music and noise. A small plane crash in a two homes and see Me Valley on Saturday, killing the pilot, a passenger, and a dog. A single engine air craft sparked to fire. The damaged both houses, but no residents were hurt. Witnesses say the plane appeared to be flying low and spiraling before the impact. The US Securities and Exchange Commission has closed its investigation into PayPal's stable coin py USD without taking any enforcement action. This decision removes a significant regulatory hurdle for PayPal, allowing the company to focus on expanding their adoption. Launched in August of twenty twenty three, the PYUSD is a dollar backed stable coin issued in partnership with Paxos Trust Company. The trial of hip hop mogul Sewancombs kicks off today in New York. Prosecutors claim he used his fame to abuse women, while his lawyers say the accusations are false and based on consensual encounters. Jury selection will begin later today in testimonies expected next week we're just minutes away from Handel's handle. On the news this morning, former Vice President Mike Pence got a special award for courage. We're gonna tell you what it was, four and what do you have to say about it. Right now, we're going to be diving into the future of construction and coffee. Starbucks just opened its first ever three D printed store in Brownsville, Texas. Let's say good morning dabc's Jim Ryan.
Speaker 6: Good morning, Jim, Hey, ether ye talk about four months to build this place one point one million dollars to fairly small place, fourteen hundred square foot so it doesn't have the room where folks can come in and lounge around sitting.
Speaker 14: In big comfy chairs drinking their coffee. It's got to drive through in a walk up window and that's it.
Speaker 4: But really may.
Speaker 14: Set a president for Starbucks. They've get to like seventeen thousand stores around the country, and we'll see whether the one in Brownsville pays off, whether it to withstands hurricanes. Brownsville is in a hurricane country, and whether it might be the future of Starbucks.
Speaker 2: Now, why do they choose Brownsville in particular.
Speaker 14: Don't know they haven't said. You know, it's a Brownsville's a little under two hundred thousand people. There are three other Starbucks in that city and they just.
Speaker 6: I've been there to a business.
Speaker 2: Not much else there, No, not a lot.
Speaker 14: No SpaceX is down there, and you're just across the border from Mexico. But beyond that, that's not a lot in pretty country down there though.
Speaker 2: All right, So, how does the three D printing construction process differ from traditional methods in times of like cost and time environmental impact.
Speaker 14: Yeah, it is said to be cheaper, less material is wasted. You're working from a cat or a blueprint that's converted into a computer program which then controls the arm that lays down the layer after layer of concrete to build up this building. So you don't have brick and mortar, you don't have wood frames and studs like that. It's pretty self contained. Then once it's done, the giant three D printer packs up moves on to the next job site. It's been used in some housing projects here in Texas around the Austin area. This is the first time that Starbucks is putting it to use.
Speaker 2: I've actually seen the video of that and it's pretty cool and it also looks to be very fast process compared to traditional home building.
Speaker 14: This took about four months, you know, from the time they walk in and start leveling out the lot. There was an old building there, sort of a junky old previous fast food joint. They tore that down and this was their footprint. And so yeah, about four months from the start to finish, and they cut the ribbon, opened the place up on Friday.
Speaker 2: Now, why do they want to do this? Do they feel like this would have some sustainability benefits and scalability? Can they make bigger ones and expand?
Speaker 14: Sure, well, they can't do that. What's more publicity stunt?
Speaker 2: Sure?
Speaker 14: You know there's novelty there. I suspect that the line is we're talking about it. Yeah, exactly. Everybody around the country is kind of buzzed.
Speaker 4: About this for coffee.
Speaker 14: So but yeah, I think that that's part of it. But we'll see how this works, to see how the building holds up over time. I mean, it's made of concrete, so you have to assume that it's going to be fairly rugged even in the face of any tropical storm that might come ashore at Brownsville.
Speaker 2: Do you think we'll see one out here in California anytime soon. Are they going to be expanded totally?
Speaker 14: I would think so. I mean three D printing also has another benefit in using concrete.
Speaker 4: It's fireproof, you know.
Speaker 14: Yeah, and so there is talk I know that in some of those hard hit communities, in places where wildfires are a problem, that you can use three D printing create buildings that simply can't burn, you know, and so and they can and they also serve then as a firebreak against you know, to protect neighborhoods that are not built this way. So yeah, we'll see what happens in the future. But it's it's an interesting concept.
Speaker 2: All right now. They just need to tackle those drive through lines and I think we'll be all set. Jim, thank you so much. Have a wonderful morning.
Speaker 4: See you, Heather, thank you.
Speaker 2: All right, let's get back to some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. Two popular beaches in Orange County have closed because of a major stewage spill. Health officials say about four thous and gowns of sewage leaped into the water at Huntington Beach in Newport Beach and that caused a sewer line, which was caused by a sewer line that was clogged with roots and Greece. The beaches will remain closed until the water tests safe again. President Trump has been criticized over an ai image posted online showing him dress like the Pope. Many comments on social media say it's offensive to Catholics. American Cardinal Timothy Dolan, who's in Rome, says the image is embarrassing.
Speaker 3: I hope he didn't have anything to do with that, you know you it wasn't good in the Italiani Dicono and Bruto.
Speaker 2: President Trump re shared the image on his truth social account over the weekend. Prince Harry says he's been cut off by his father, King Charles.
Speaker 9: In an interview with the BBC that aired on Friday, Harry confirmed a strained relationship with his family.
Speaker 4: I don't know how much longer my father has.
Speaker 10: You know, he.
Speaker 4: Won't speak to me because of this security.
Speaker 9: The security stuff he's referring to is Britain's High Court ruling against him having full time security protectionf.
Speaker 2: Tammy Trujillo says Harry's protection was downgraded in twenty twenty when he stepped down from the Royal family and moved to the US with his wife, Megan Markle. Three people have been killed in a shooting at a Sinko Demayo event in Arizona. Glendale Police officer Maroney Mendez says investigators believe there may have been more than one shooter, but no arrests have been made and a possible motive is unclear.
Speaker 7: We got multiple calls of a shooting that happened in an establishment just to my south fifty seven.
Speaker 2: The drive and lamar, like I said earlier, is very chaotic. One witness reported hearing more than twenty rounds fired with a span of fifteen to twenty seconds, and five people were hurt in the shooting. Well, whatever you choose to do today for your Sinco de Mayo events, I hope it's fun and safe. Definitely want to encourage everyone to get a designated driver or take a ride share service wherever you're going to be. If you're wondering where we will be, we will be right here at KFI working for the rest of the morning. Will Yes, you don't go out because your hours are insane, right, you don't really go out and party.
Speaker 4: I might go out, but be done by nine at the most.
Speaker 2: Okay, you stay up till nine and still come into stay up till eleven.
Speaker 4: Yes, my naps are my friend.
Speaker 2: Okay, as they should be. As they should be. And then kno, you go home and go Do you take naps to your big napper?
Speaker 10: Right?
Speaker 2: No chance, you don't take Oh no naps?
Speaker 4: One four year old? When do I get innap? Feather?
Speaker 2: When is this what's gonna happen? I was gonna say, do you and your wife have like a tag team nap program? Works out? Like you take a nap and then she's but she works too. She's a nurse, so she's not home for thirteen hours a day. Wow, shout out to nurses.
Speaker 3: Man.
Speaker 2: That's my mom was a nurse. That's a rough, rough gig. But we love them, We love it. Yeah, all right, you guys, Well this has been a lot of fun. What do you say we do it again tomorrow.
Speaker 4: Let's see what condition we're in tomorrow.
Speaker 2: Hopefully we haven't scared off too many people. You guys, come back tomorrow. We'll have lots more fun stories and all of the news you can handle right here on KFI and Wake Up Call. This is KFI and KOs THD Los Angeles, Orange County, live from the KFI twenty four hour newsroom for producer and and technical producer KNO, is that your title? Technical producer KNO?
Speaker 4: What you want?
Speaker 8: I know?
Speaker 2: That's what was in my what's in my rundown?
Speaker 4: Here to call you?
Speaker 2: All right? And for Kono? And this also says traffic specialist Will. I should have checked with you guys before. Is that your title? Traffic Specialists?
Speaker 4: According to Amy Okay.
Speaker 2: And traffic specialist Will, I'm Heather Brooker. Thank you guys so much for listening. This has been your wake up call. If you missed any wake up Call, you can listen anytime on the iHeart Radio app. You've been listening to wake Up Call with me, Amy King.
Speaker 12: You can always hear wake Up Call five to six am Monday through Friday on kf I Am six forty and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio app