Speaker 1: You see, something's going to happen.
Speaker 2: What what's going to happen? I think, what's going to.
Speaker 1: Help before we're like, So they're there to bring the mission to the lodge itself and bring it to tent and get the work done, whether they're bringing new people in at certain points to initiate them up, or they have an inner lodge that has its own purpose trying to do its own magic, whatever that might be. And the problem is these lodges are in all of these groups in order to say because you know, you form a lodge on the Internet by opening up a Facebook group and you know, so they're not being run by adepts. They're running by being run by kids that don't know anything. You know, the adepts already lived, you know, a full life. The adepts you know done, the readings done, the writings done, the creativity can show you the work and you know that's you know, that's just not what's going on in these groups. As a matter of fact, you can see them all day. That's why they can only post pictures. But Crowley or whatever group they're in, whoever the hero is in that group.
Speaker 3: That is one thing I noticed about the OTO was like, they love it. I mean, I get it. I get that, it's whatever he was associated with it. But I was like, like, I feel like they all would take turns sucking as dick if they could.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Well, the trans ones that and if you get me started and that, we're really gonna go.
Speaker 3: Because we'll both get going on that, because that was one of the reasons why I left too, because they started.
Speaker 2: I was like, Yo, what the fuck is going on here?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Yeah, listen, you know what I'm saying up your pants? I want to know what's gonna be there.
Speaker 2: Oh that is funny. That is funny.
Speaker 3: All right, So you know what, we'll we as fun as this is, we'll get into some gnosticism.
Speaker 2: Uh okay, just for the listeners, just in case if they don't know.
Speaker 3: Uh yeah to me Nick from the Occult Rejects, and I got Lisa the Occult reject Mad Scientists with US co hosting, and today, I'm very very happy to get this guest on. He reached out to me, and I'm just so grateful. It's wild how that happened. As soon as I checked this stuff out, I had even told Lisa, I said, yoh, this guy is gonna be perfect for this show, and I'm probably gonna want them on multiple times. And we've already been been bullshitting for twenty minutes and it's great.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 3: We got I guess, author and director of the Church of LVX, Paul Joseph Ravelli, real quick, just to give give you a couple of ideas. You know, I did mention he was an author. He does have a lot of Thelemic stuff. He has the Starry Gnosis and American Revelation. He's got the whole Magic workbook, the Lima and the Secret Doctrine, Theosophy and Thelema. He's got three volumes at that, and he's got insights on liber seven and a bunch of all the other books. But uh, definitely gonna go check out his his list of books. Some interesting stuff there. We got him on to talk about gnosticism, and I'm really really excited to be able to talk about that because I just keeping it real from the interviews he's done, He's the real deal to me, so I'm very excited to have him come on and actually have a Gnostic.
Speaker 2: Talk about gnosticism.
Speaker 3: So, uh, Paul, real quick, maybe if you want just let people know like maybe what you deal is what you do, and if there's any way they can contact you or anything you want to promote your books, your church, please let everybody know what what's up with you?
Speaker 1: Okay, Well, Paul Joseph Rovaly rovellis and we actually pronounced the LVX as L like the Gnostic Church of Light, so that you know, we get it a little formal there, but whatever, I'm an author and a founder, the founder of the Gnostic Church of Light. It is a fully owned, no mortgage building and the first fully owned building Gnostic on the continents of the Americas. So I think we have something very profound here in that we are representing a modern form of narcissism, not ancient gnoscissism. We don't hate the world at all, as a matter of fact, indeed, we love it. In contrast with the ancient Gnostics that might that teach that the spirit is trapped in matter, we say, no, the spirit is liberated in matter, and that that's really the key to what we're what our mission is, i'd say, And we're trying to break new ground here in the northeastern woods of the United States, where all of this country's new religion started everything from Transcendentalism to Mormonism. So we're in this fertile ground. We managed to get this building and it's opened me up to so much in that I've come to see the value of the generation of ideas and what that is in terms of leading one to nosis.
Speaker 2: I like that.
Speaker 3: I wanted to ask, well, I guess it's kind of like two questions in one, but like what made you want to start your church? And like did you did you feel that your church would be different than like I guess I had something different to offer them other places, kind of like.
Speaker 1: Like you're you're up or right bart there. Let's put it this way. You're twenty five to thirty five years old, you're married, maybe you have one baby already and you got another one coming. You're on that you're on the ladder trying to get into management or whatever. You're building your career, and you've got this young family and you want to bring them to some kind of spiritual instruction. So you got the family up, you go to one of today's present day churches, and you know, after you get done with the ones that entertain you with rock and roll bands and all that other crap. You're going to be told that because you got laid in the back seat of your car when you were sixteen, that you are condemned to hell forever and everybody that you ever slept with before you got married to Jesus. And you just walk out of those places and you feel dirty. There's nothing spiritual about that. But to have a place where, first of all, we're going to search for your genius. We're gonna help you facilitate the development of your own genius. We're going to tell you that you're the divine one here. You know, we're not there to worship any god or gods. We have holy texts and sacred ideas and we talk about philosophy, but we create sacred space so that you can take your family with this idea of joy. And that's what you should get out of religion. That's spirituality. That's no sense when you know who you are difference. You know, all my life, I always wanted to be a fireman. And then when you get that first job at the hook and ladder man, you're in heaven because you found your genius. You're contributing to your community in the way that you know how Now there's night Monks of the Lima. We can take you to all kinds of great heights, but you know you're not looking to give up your kids and move to Tibet, you know. So I think I'm trying to find a way to ignite the imagination again towards creative spiritual experience and creative religion. I'm a child of the seventies. I was a Patti Smith Free. She was my personal goddess and savior still is. She was trying to create a rock and roll religion to see through sound, exsta, see through poetry, extra through insight, even in my own rock bands in those days. You know, that's what it was all about. And I find it no different writing sacred texts and going through the psychic experiences of growing up, because that's whole part of it. We all go through these particular milestones in life. They're changing each one of those milestone. I like something, So what about a place God.
Speaker 4: No, I was going to say what you had said, I kind of want to touch upon. It's very akin to what Nick and I have been kind of going down the rabbit holes of We looked into Hildegarde Uh and we looked into Michael Meyer, Coonroth, and they all had the same elements of music, spirituality, alchemy of some sort, and it was this this trifecta of combining all three into a spiritual experience. And so when you said that about music, you know, pay Smith, you saved you, and you're talking about spirituality and the actual community and fellowship. It reminded me a lot of when we dug deep into their biographies and then their work especially, I would.
Speaker 1: Say the big difference is that we're not trying to create a communal fellowship. Okay, we're trying to create a community, and we're trying to find a way to show that everybody has a natural genius, whatever that might be. Just because you know, I'm a musician, I'm an artist, I'm a poet, I'm you know, I got all this. But you you should not ever come to us and say, well, you know, I'm none of those. You know what I'm saying. You know, I raised well family, I got a cool little job, and you don't realize that that's a creative experience too, you know, especially in the creativity of you know, raising children and turning them into something. And you know, and we're really looking for that family structure in a lot of ways, because we like lots of artists, intelligence people. I'd like to know that you've read a few books in your life, you know, that kind of thing we want. We're looking for, you know, quality, not quantity. Again, we don't want just any family. Don't want the alcoholic parents down the street. You know, we're not trying to see if anybody. We're not out in front running our little mission and we'll sell some usic clothes downstairs. So you know we're different and we're you know, and we're not going to scare you. You know, we're not going to tell you know, if you don't come here next Sunday, you're going to hell, straight to Hell in a hand basket. Do not pass go, do not pass two hundred dollars or collect.
Speaker 3: To them that fin There was something, uh, I think I heard you mentioned on another show too of that, and I was kind of impressed with it because it's kind of like an idea that I've even tried to run with my own show. I think you were talking about, like how you don't really tell people what to believe. You kind of just give them outlets to find it themselves.
Speaker 1: Well, even just the opposite. We tell you, listen, don't get involved with that superstition, because if you believe in anything, it's superstitious. You have to believe in it because you have no proof. We say that there's a way to know the divine. If I know the divine, I don't have to believe in it. It's a I can see the two of you right in front of me. I'm interacting with you. I don't need to believe in you. You're right there, but I know you.
Speaker 2: Yes, Yeah, I've even.
Speaker 1: Used like experienced.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I use that as an example of was Like someone could tell you Simon tastes great, and you'll believe it it is, but you won't know until you eat it. Big difference, you you know, but we believe and knowing and faith and knowing, huge difference. And I think people get screwed up on that.
Speaker 1: Well, and now let's look at the ineffable divine, the ineffable divine, Well, ineffable. That says it all. So as we begin to even that we call it divine, it would be wrong because once we say divine, it's no longer ineffable. We've made it effable.
Speaker 3: Well, I even heard you say, just giving God a name God, that screws it up right there, which I actually was like, nailed it, You totally nailed it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, to say that there's a way to get to the divine through direct experience of the divine might even lead you, because we don't hold no secrets, might even lead you to assume that we might be trying to teach you that you are God. Why do you need to go bend the need to something else? You're already there and you're in a company of God's Is there anything that isn't God? Because if God is infinite, then there is nothing that can't be God. You, me, hitler, sewage, dogs, worms, it's all God. What could not possibly be God? So I can tell you these words and they maybe I'll get lucky, they'll even be inspiring for you. But without your having that direct experience, without you are coming to that own inner realization, you know, the you know the teenager. You know mom or dad always says, don't do that, don't do that, You're gonna get it and do that, and then you go out and you do that, and you get burned and you realize, oh, now I know why they told me not to do that. Okay, you have to have that. There has to be something that wakes up inside of you. Or if I gave you the most amazing, beautiful, possible truth that ever could be, that would just put you in permanent all you would reject it. You'd spit on it. This, you know, the stone that the builders rejected, right, because you're not coming to that place yet where you can apprehend that. We can wrap your mind around it. So to get to that place, well, these are techniques we can give you easily. And these don't have to be complicated sophisticated mumbo jumbo where you have to make lots of things and buy lots of groovy robes and we're really cool jewelry. You know, the you know, this is the purveyance of the mind. And listen, you know, we start with, you know, one of the most simple things I can tell you, read and write, Read the great novels, look at the great masterpieces and painting. And listen to the great musics everything from blues, jazz and rock and roll back through opera and and and you know, and you know ancient Greek music. Listen to it all. Experience every you know, hope you can China's song. Experience it all. Some of it you're gonna turn around as a dumb shit, but some of you're gonna like and and you'll start to see over time, a sensibility grows inside of you. Right on these experiences. What did this? You know? I just saw you know, Picasso's Lugernica today, and really I thought it was kind of crummy looking, you know, or you know, because you've got to be honest with yourself, right, But then export why did you think it was crummy looking? Well, you know, the cresset Moon's always around, the girls. Ice just really drove me up. You know, maybe I don't understand cubism, so maybe then you might at some point catch an article on cubism, right, and then suddenly you're opening yourself up to a whole new perception of reality. You know, you start watching better quality films, You start picking up some poets that you thought were idiots and reading them and going, holy fucking shit, this is amazing. And I had that with e.
Speaker 5: Cummings, but it was Patty Smith that got me there, my personal constance. He uh, So, we can give you insights into yourself if you follow our sermons you know, we do these public things. We have a full body of is social media tumblr, Facebook, ex Twitter, Tumblr. I read it rather where we have a huge YouTube channel and.
Speaker 1: I'm doing everything from experimenting with AI knowledge lecture type programs to trying to make more genuine scripted videos that I write myself. I'm not a genius when it comes to computers, as you learned when we started figuring out. I had a hook up on this podcast. So I'm coming to this the hard way. In all my rock bands, I wrote the songs, the guitarists did all the electronics because I didn't have to plug anything in.
Speaker 4: That's still cool though, That's awesome. I was I was going to ask you a little bit you talked about. I listened to a podcast that you did with some Brazilians.
Speaker 1: I love that one. It was so good. I think twice.
Speaker 4: I really enjoyed all of the information that y'all kind of shared and dialogued between and so it reminded me of like when you talked about how you have to experience something. And I think somebody had said that they started reading a book early on. They didn't know what they were reading, but they just kept reading and you made the comment like, but you kept reading, and that is the key because later you were going to come back to it, and then it was it was going to be another layer because you have now experienced it and you're seeing it through new eyes.
Speaker 1: Wait, didn't say that exactly.
Speaker 4: But you were experienced, you had the experience, and then you're reading it again and now you're understanding. But it was good that you kept reading and right now when you were talking about music and listen to all types of music, it sparked a bellamy and that like early on I listened to jazz because I was in you know, band as a high schooler. And it wouldn't be until you get your heart complete letely shattered that you now understand the blues.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you can read all the Torch songs that you want to read, eat out, listen to, but you know you need a broken heart before you know we can take the song with meaning.
Speaker 4: It's the same thing with poetry. You're just reading it, you're not really understanding. And then when you get that, you know existential moment in your life that you read it again, you're like, I get it, I totally get it. So it crystallized right now when you were saying all that.
Speaker 1: I remember in seventh grade we were forced to read Ee Cummings and he's the poet that doesn't use capital letters in any of his poetry. And I'm reading this, going, people like this drivel? How could anyone I feel even worse for the guy that wrote it? You know, I mean, I was just there in college. Now I'm an adult. I'm in my early twenty I graduated twenty two. You're probably twenty one, twenty two years old. But at least I've been through a lot of adult experiences at this point. And you know, I'm not a preteen boy. And I chanced on some Ee Cummings. I was very initiated by Patti Smith Domina sinky something but uh, and I turned around and goes, this is some of the greatest shit I ever read. I mean, it was nearly as good as drugs, and drugs were great. Oh my god, that's funny. But that's what it should be. It's ecstasy. It's all about ecstasy.
Speaker 4: The other thing I was going to say is that when you had said out, you come to this with knowing you're not believing. It's not a faith, and that is quite I mean, very quintessential the definition of narcissism right to know, not to know, not to fit.
Speaker 1: But now this is where it gets interesting, because these ancient gnostics wrote all this crap, and if you join these gnostic groups, they're going to tell, you know, beware of the debi urge and you know, all this crap and we're trapped in you know, in this world and we got to get ourselves out of it. And this is the ugly place, you know. And yet when you read the actual texts, like the Valentinians where most of that stuff comes from, when you look at all the eons that emine, there were all psychic structures, you know what I'm saying, and then there's the one in that connects the church with God and all that. But they were still they were they were doing what you should do. In mythology, you create a symbolism where what you're actually talking about is represented by something else. Right, So the the god pan is you know, he's got you know, a certain disposition, and so that disposition tends to represent that same tree in all of us. That is why the gods were so human, right, you know, they did all the things that humans did, with all our failings and all our virtues.
Speaker 2: You know, so.
Speaker 1: I lost my train of thought.
Speaker 4: You know, you're talking about nacissism. How that Back then they used to go off on tangents.
Speaker 1: Oh yes, So let's talk about modern gnosticism for a moment. The basic thing, like you just said to me, was to know. So there's a knowledge, a special knowledge. Okay, well think about it. That special knowledge is your knowledge of yourself and knowing that the divine is within you. If it's not already the whole of yourself, it's at least within you, and that's where you're going to access it. So why are we going to start talking about evil things? Because there's no such thing as good in evil. They're just things. Now, some of those things may be good for me and evil for you. That's just a matter of perspective and taste, you know what I'm saying, And certainly we will not say do unto others because you know, if you like to flail yourself at six pm every night, I'm sorry, I'm not joining you.
Speaker 4: Of like a biology in that you know, you have predator prey interactions. There's no right or wrong, it just is just.
Speaker 1: It just is. And you know, the prey to the predator is food sustaining. We kill all day long. Every breath you take is microbes everything you've eat. I don't care if you just eat plants and you're some kind of veggie weed heead. You're killing the plants. They live, they have feelings, they reincarnate. It's just a lifestyle. We don't understand.
Speaker 4: Herbivores prey on plants.
Speaker 1: It's the same thing exactly. So even your your very first breath, your body comes out of the wound and it took up space. Well, taking up that space was a violent act. You entered the world and the first thing you did was a violent act. So we really need to get over ourselves. We're not the fluffy, nice people we think we are. But I'll keep you thinking that because it's to my event.
Speaker 2: I like that.
Speaker 4: Wasn't Whenever Christianity first came on board, there was already people kind of coming into the New millennium that were seeking knowledge, and there were offshoots of narcissism and offshoot of knowledge seekers, and that narcissism itself was demonized and given a bad rap or a bad name or something because it was a competing theory or competing factions between who was going to win the you know, the prize of it.
Speaker 1: That's actually a little that's actually a little bit right and a little bit wrong.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 1: There were lots of groups and movements going on in various locations. Okay, let's let's tell the story this way. Already planted in uh Greco Roman. Uh, the Greco Roman religion was this idea of the logos, and the logos was a half human, half divine person fathered by usually Zeus or some other frisky little god out there who just really loved those human women. And through the course of that great person's lifetime, he will go through a death sprit. He will die and be resurrected in some way because he's half divine, whether he's going to be saved and some God's going to rush in and help men out of his misery, or he'll be rescued from hades, or or he'll even cure himself. You know, these are possible. But all these logoi, all these different logos, were very significant in that culture. It was a process of personal transformation. All that was in their mythos. Of that comes this Christian sect which comes out of Judaism originally, and they're just finding a savior, the promised Messiah, who's going to be the general that's going to get rid of the Roman army. But instead they get completely demolished by the Roman army. So what's left of them creates this mild and meek Savior and he's the good guy, blessed or the sweet, the people that you don't want to introduce to your mommy. And so this this thing starts to catch on, and this Christian group even gets you know, the Ear of Rome, and Rome is probably participating in it too. I forget the name of the history, and I'll think of it. But you know, he started he was a Jewish convert who was there, you know, and started writing Flavius. Uh. He became the protectorate of Augustus Flavius, and he took on the last name of Flavius. And so as he starts composing, you know, these ideas of this meek and mild Jesus and writes that into you know, Jewish history, you know, the Roman record of Jewish history, they eventually start, you know, a later emperor starts listening to these guys more seriously. The Roman Church takes on this Christian sect. But by the time they do, it's no longer just Jews. The Jews stayed with the Jews. You still had to you know, get your peepee cut off circumcision. I couldn't think of it. You still had to do that. Whereas up comes Paul, who's now going to write his own version of the story, and he's going to write it to non Jews. And this becomes really really big and strong, and rather quickly because Constantine adopts the church. Out of that, the Valentinian Gnostic sect arose in opposition. They didn't buy it. So we have now some of these Jewish sects, like the Sethians that played around with the Valentinians for a while, then they went home. And then you have other sects that were in different parts of the Roman Empire that just kind of emerged out of these logo sects and eventually they kind of fell to the influence of Rome. But that would take seven hundred years, you know, before Rome really got that grip. You know, so as we uh look at those groups feeding out and we look at you know, the Christians essentially put down the Valentinians, and you know, anything connected with Judaism. They get they kind of they just won because you know, my daddy's bigger than your daddy. Rome is kind of big, yeah, you know, and it's still around today because it is the Christian religion. You know, it's the only orthodoxal authentic Christian religion. Now the Valentinians and the Sethians. The Sethians were more cabalistic, but they still had an ontology, and they still.
Speaker 6: Had a way that we came to be beings and human beings specifically, but being and that in the way we were formulated.
Speaker 1: They still handle all of this. But and I would imagine some of the Valentinian teachings were kind of their secret teachings kind of explained some of their texts. But they still kept to the Roman mass as well. They still recited the Creed, the Nicean Creed, so they still bould all that. Let's go over and the part of the empire, Roman Empire that is now most of the Middle East today and the Arabic world, well, they were basically the Dosetic Gnostics. You can't kill a God by nailing him to a piece of wood. He wouldn't be a god. There's only one God, but God. Sound familiar. Yeah, yeah, that would become Islam. And so Mohammed would come along say this is the last communication because we're going back to God. Folks. Interesting, all bullshit. The only thing that really holds true today is a study of the human psyche and the fact that narcissism is a secret knowledge that you must come to through your own direct experience. And we keep that. We throw away the rest of the bullshit. And now let's talk about having direct experience. And direct experience could be a lovely picnic with four families in the backyard of the church. It doesn't have to be super profound, but it can be. And you might get there through the most unprofound ways.
Speaker 3: Do you I would assume you probably promote the idea of meditation, right.
Speaker 1: I promote the idea of meditation. In this way you should come to a perfect discipline of meditation. To discipline the mind, you have to be able to shut off the mind or you have no control over it. You have no control over anything. You can't kill. Right. If you can shut off the mind, then you can control your thoughts. But after that it becomes Papa's bullshit. For gurus in the East or just people that want to be holier than that. I'd love to tell it this way because here's, you know, here's the control of the emotions. Because controlling the mind is both the intellect, which gets nourished by our reading and writing, and the other side of the coin is the emotions.
Speaker 2: And I.
Speaker 1: Tell this, well, let's pretend and you've spent now the last five years preparing for this ultimate sales pitch. This is the opportunity that you've been working on forever and ever and ever, and you've got it. You're ready. The big board meeting is today. Everything you planned on, hope and dream is going to happen. And just before you walk into that meeting room, your office fund rings. You pick it up, and you find out that everybody in your family has just been killed in a tragic auto accident. What do you do? You suck it up, You walk into the board meeting, you give the pitch of your life, and you get that big career move that you need it. Then you go back to your office and your collapse, and you got to think about that. That's the control that we can have over our emotions. We got to feel pain, we got to feel pleasure. But in the same way that we can delay pleasure, we can delay pain, and that becomes, you know, a real key to both our intellect and our emotions. Right, it can be real painful to read certain things.
Speaker 2: Very well said.
Speaker 3: Something I wanted to ask before, and it was a question that I had down that I just you know, I just kind of wanted to get your idea or your opinion. There was a couple of things that came up that made me wonder, and that's what I was gonna ask. Do you believe like when you talk about like, first off, if you did say you don't, you don't tell people to worship any gods. Do you believe like when it comes to like all these not God, but like when you start getting to like all these other gods like Toath and hathor like you know, all these other gods, do you believe that they are real and literal or do you think that maybe they're kind of just like almost like art expressing an archetype, like is it is it?
Speaker 2: Like my opinion, I don't take.
Speaker 3: Them as little I know a lot of people seem to, even in the magical community, but for me, I.
Speaker 1: Just as soon as you take them as literal you're believing now and you're practicing superstition.
Speaker 3: Comic book characters to some people that they believe in.
Speaker 7: Wild you know, every everyone's, everybody's everybody else has got his false of course, so you're an atheist one hundred thousand times over except for the one.
Speaker 1: So as soon as you said, do you believe? Cut you off right there, short answer.
Speaker 2: No.
Speaker 1: Now you're asking me some specifics. There's a lot of people that believe in a lot of gods over large periods of time. Their grigors exist in the wind. But those are really truly also founded on archetypes, and archetypes are products of our psyche. Now we can argue Jung's collective on conscious. You might get with that or you might not get with that. I think you have to begin to experience those things that would make the collective unconscious accessible to you, that you can begin to directly into it. It through experience, and I can tell you read the right holy books, put the right things together. I mean, Jung's read books should be a mind blower. The holy books of the Lima should knock you backwards, you know. But again it's getting the mind to that level that you know as Patty Smith would say, you know, getting manipulating your particles of charm, you know, and you've got to bring that energy up. You know. They call it the Kundelini in these you know, the Kodolini rises if it gets you know, to my head. There's enlightenment. Well, that enlightenment is everything that's already in your mind. The question is can you access all that mind? Do you even know it's there?
Speaker 2: You know?
Speaker 1: And most people don't. Most people do nothing but run from pain and towards pleasure, and they don't think about a damn thing about their lives. They just do what it's supposed to be done next. And that's not a purposeful life. You're not living in real life. The unexamined life really isn't worth living.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: Nosis is the only life. Your superstition. Believing in this or that is ridiculous, you know, because now you're dead, you're just a zombie. You're the walking undead. Get it over with already. Oh wait, you got to run the electric plant. I guess those of us that are awake still need you, like.
Speaker 8: They're running to soothing right, like they're just you know, so again, I'm sorry, it's almost like if they're running to soothe, to like whatever causes them discomfort, they're always running towards the thing that sues them.
Speaker 1: I graduated high school because it supposed to graduate to high school. Two years later, I got married because it was supposed to get married. And I got my job, and we had two point three babies, and now we have a two point three car garage, and I got a little successful. And then the kids grew up and they moved out, and we had empty mess syndrome. And then we found some ways to entertain ourselves, but we just kind of got old and rotten, and you know, and then we got there and finally I'm on my death back on I never lived, not one minute because you were a zombie all your life. Oh I don't care that you cried it your you know, your kids graduation, and you bought the best birthday cake ever. You know, there's a great nobility and a personal genius in raising a family. So I'm not trying to say in that derogatory sense, but if you didn't do it with full knowledge, and don't we often hear new mothers say, you know, they don't give you a guidebook when you have the baby, and their first few years are desperate because they're trying to figure it out well because they didn't do their homework. You know, I really say. You know, oddly enough, those you know, urban city girls in those terrible neighborhoods really get a better shot at it because at least they get to play mom for weekends when they get that baby doll. But you know, drive them crazy because they learn what they're getting into, you know, and then you learn how to do it, and you know you've chosen it from your own intuition, from your own involition, and you know you're not coming home going, oh no, it's going to be wins. I need three war jobs, you know, And you know, life should not be entered into that way. I think there's a way to broker that. Now. Certainly, let's look at it as how we mature. Our parents did that initial brokering for us. They gave us our initial world view, they refined it and fed it, and they did all these things, and you know, finally one day we started to want to do some of that for ourselves, and finally we were also we did it all for ourselves. And so there's a brokering into maturity there. But there's also a big problem there because you know, your parents and your aunts and uncles and your Grandma's gonna you know, when you're a little baby, they're gonna come over, they're gonna picture you'd go, you're gonna have beautiful babies. You know, they're already grooming you into their agony, and they just want to know that you're gonna suffer like they do. That's really all they want. You know.
Speaker 4: Well, it's tribal, you know what I mean. It's tribal in that it's it's it's the reinforcement of society making sure that you stick to the tribal mentality because in the past, when we were huntering gatherers, it's what survived the tribe. But now we have moved beyond that, we have evolved beyond that, but society has yet it's lagging still.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: It's kind of like when you lose individuals.
Speaker 4: Now, Yeah, exactly exactly.
Speaker 1: And the herd mindset is dangerous, it is. But we still need community. We still need each other. Yeah, we need we need the the the aquarium age that's still six hundred years away. Another argument will be the age ruled by both the old ruler and the new ruler of the sign, so that we'll have both Saturn and and it was a venus. Then screwed it, my head, screwed it right now. But we'll have both the individual and the collective. And you know, part of the pipe dream for the church is, you know, my wife and I, you know, initially sat talking about it this and that is we thought how nice it would be that the church became like a co op, so that you know, eight families lived on the block that would all belong to the church, and they all came here to buy their food because we bought it in mass, and somebody amongst our community would educate the babies and take care of that by the day, so the rest of us can go to our jobs. And you know, the church would own all the land and the houses would be on the outskirts, and so people wouldn't have to work forty to sixty hours a week, maybe they could do ten to twenty, and we'd have everything that we'd ever want. Now that's a pipe dream. We're not trying to create a communist collective. And probably something very wrong about the church still owning all the land. Probably they should each on their own individual land around the church, because you know, the power corrupts. Absolute power corrupts. Absolutely. Always remember that I'm saying that might be the nicest guy in the world, give me power over you and I'll have your bank account in mind in minutes for sure.
Speaker 4: No, and I think what you said exactly is that the collective but yet an individual. It's like the liver cell doesn't try to be the heart cell, but you both know that they have to function together in order to be self, to be a collective self.
Speaker 1: As a collective. And you know, as they say it all the East West Magazine's body mind, right, and the mind is the soul. The spirit is the animating force that comes in. We'll call it the starry force to make an easy and that starring for us, give you animation and the roots soul that is really that body waking up, that aggregate consciousness we spoke of before. And the question now is when you die, what happens to that consciousness, that aggregate consciousness of the body, or do you just become nothing again to go back up to the stars. Well, there is an immortality in what we do, and that could be as simple as raising babies, right, But then you'll only be remembered as long as maybe your grandkids if they saw you twice. You know what I'm saying. The true immortals are, you know, the Beethovens and Mozarts, that Julius Caesars and the Adolph Hitlers. Notice that I in two cases I gave you artists, and two other cases I gave you dangerous tyrants. Good and bad. Doesn't matter if you have it effect on the world. And that effect could be that you know, maybe you know ten people down the line, your great great great grandchildren will be the next Beethoven. And we need the collective body because otherwise we'd have no modern world. The geniuses amongst us would still be shooting dinosaurs with their bow and arrows. Right, So we have to create a society in a world to live in. And as the Book of the Wall says, the slave shall serve. Now, the slaves are just the mindless people. But they collect the garbage, they run the grocery store. He turned the electric lights on. They give us civilization, and without civilization we have no spiritual growth. So we we must never trash them. We must love them, and we must show them their genius, but then we must demand of ourselves the greater if we are to know the divine. If that's what you're.
Speaker 4: After, agreed.
Speaker 1: Do you think there's really good at suddenly stopping like that?
Speaker 3: That's what I did want to ask you. Do you think there's any like huge misconceptions about narcissism.
Speaker 1: Tons? I know, I know many of these modern gnostics that you know just are reading the old texts and you know, running from the demiurge, and some of them would really like to kill me. I've had knockdown drag outs with some of these dudes. There's three forms of philosophy, and no matter how fancy we build off them, there's only three Monism, dualism, and nihilism. Most spiritual and religious institutions and teachings or whatever are either monaster or nihilists. They can kind of into twine. I'm a duelist, I mean both the Cartesian idea of of you know, I I know my mind, I think therefore I am, and I'm not really that sure about my body. But uh yeah, I could get more complex and how I may I bridged my consciousness from the mind to the body as much as you might bridge your consciousness from the mind to the stars, you know, in your contemplation of the night sky, in that sense of awe that you feel. And where was I going with that? We were talking about?
Speaker 2: Oh yes, so.
Speaker 1: In that dualism we have that inner psyche, that world of archetypes, all that kind of thing. What the mom is just going to tell you is we're not we don't really exist. Okay. Life is an illusion. The world around you is an illusion. You're an illusion. You don't. You got to get rid of your ego, man, Okay. Your ego tells you who you are. The guy without his ego is the guy walking down Main Street at twelve noon with no clothes on, screaming at the clouds. Okay, because that's what happens when you lose your ego. And if you were in India doing that, they call you a holy man. We lock you up here in the West, Okay. And there's a reason, because there's there is spiritual psychic disease. And that's a schizophrenic that I just described. But he could sound like some gurus. I know. They you know, they're just capable of sitting down to a plate dinner with you at the same time. That's really the only difference, right, So the other is denihilist. These are your religious clerics. They want to keep you asleep. Just believe in Jesus and you'll go to heaven when you die. You're gonna see Mammy and Pappy, and don't forget your little dog Pepper too, you know. And they want to keep you functioning in society. Religion is here for them to establish order, because otherwise they'd have to put a cop at every window, so that when hubby comes home and doesn't like his wife's dinner and he decides he wants to beat the shit out of her, well God keeps him from doing it. They don't need a cop out the window. He turned around and says, well, you know, the New Testament, says Jesus is really nice. And that is why you always hear them say, how can you be good without the Holy Book? How can you be good without life in Jesus. It's absurd, really, but it gets you to think of yourself. And of course, as I always say, as soon as spirit leaves the temple, morality rushes in to fill the void. Some of your greatest mystics were scoundrels, so famous is that famous Russian mystic mystic. I can't remember his name now, but several we're real famous scoundrels, you know. And there you know again, there's no there's no good, there's no evil, there's no right and wrong way to be, you know. But stay away from the nihilists. They are going to convince you that the world is worthless, it doesn't matter. So I just want all your money and all your power and and and then you can go away. Stay away from the monus because they're going to tell you. You know, we were once one, but the one became the old, you know. And and your ego is important. It tells you who you are. It tells you how to walk out the door in the morning. And if your life isn't real, then what are you doing here? What are we even trying to do to talk to each other? You know, that's a lie. Muslism can't be. Nihilism is the enemy dualism. Understanding the layers of the psyche and the mind and coming to a method that you create on your own to find your own genius. That's everything that's heaven on earth and the hell you'll go through to get there. That's heaven on earth?
Speaker 2: H what are uh?
Speaker 3: If you don't mind, if you maybe go over like if there's any other u no, no, no no. If there's any other like other like misconceptions of narcissism, then wow, what do you think is out there?
Speaker 1: Well again, they think these ancient documents are the secret knowledge that got hidden by the church because they didn't want you to know the truth. And of course the secret knowledge is these angels of light came down from the Pleroma and gave you the history of heaven, you know, and like heaven has a history fascinating, you know, and you know, first there was you know, the poor Sophia because you know, somehow you still have to denigrate women. Okay, poor Sophia. She decided to cheat. She was going to make a baby without without a big dick, and she did and it was an abortion and welcome to the world. And this is what they're promoting now I'm saying it in the kind of the silly way, but it's accurate. Then you have this other group, those connected with Samae l A and we are if you have ever experienced orgasm, we are teachers that you are now condemned to hell. He will put you through techniques, sexual techniques, and I got it one of who ministers as crap. He will put you through sexual techniques so that you will never have worgasm but experience sexual ecstasy. He's plagiarized every modern Western mystery tradition writer in every which way possible, including Crowley in the Book of Law, and created these two twisted sectors that are around. They're everywhere. There several places, including here in town where I live. And they give these public lectures once a week and mix of gur Chiefs and Blovotsky and Casta data and then they have you sit and meditate while they play bombastic Beethoven symphonies, and you can see they're already working on controlling your mind. This is a it's a mind invasion.
Speaker 3: Well, if they knew anything about Gertscheff, did even know that Gertscheff knew that using certain tones and scales of music and saying shit at the same time, you can drop shit in people's heads. I mean, that's what the whole fourth way that was part of the fourth of the fourth big.
Speaker 1: Fan of ger Chief I like is Spensky a lot.
Speaker 2: I just know some of his stuff.
Speaker 3: I'm looking into cults and they were inspired by him.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Well, you know, any love or adoration of one singular leader with authority is your path to destruction. You know, you're not going to get anything out of it. You're just gonna lose. You know, you have to be the one always in authority over the state of your being. Period and amen. And so here we are a church of genius. And that's really as simple it can be simply explained by you getting more and more control over your being whatever you make of your destiny, and we create our destinies. We create our souls. You know, the root soul is still an animal soul. All it's doing is crying for its bottle and change my diaper. Okay, the rest of it you create. You create it as you learn how to live inside your home, as you go to your first school and you learn how to live in your first neighborhood, you get into your first relationships, you establish your business relationships, your social conducts. All that is creating soul as you create your art is you know, a woman at work today was showing me how her daughter does these really great paintings of people's dogs for them, and my dog. You just died. We put them to sleep on Friday, and so you know we're going, you know, going through things. Got me in a whole other trek personally, but you know, it's it's not Picasso, but they're really pretty pictures of dogs. And she seems to be on a mission. She she you know, helps with strays and does all things like that. So she's got her own mission from God, you know, and what she's really doing is becoming herself. Yeah, you know, that's the key. You know.
Speaker 4: It's interesting you say that because I think Nick and I have both talked about the fact that sometimes, you know, people talk about depression and anxiety. Not to say that this is a blanket all, but I think sometimes the anxiety and the depression start about because your soul has been trying to tell you that this you need to be doing something different. You're put on this planet to do something and you're not listening, and so it's almost like that nudge, very just you know, speculative of like discussing. Sometimes your body physically tells you, you know, hey, I want you to know yourself. I want you to know you as a person. I don't know, I just.
Speaker 1: Thought I'm gonna agree with you and disagree with you. You weren't put here by anybody, okay, And that's where my disagree was. And that's it. But you should have that feeling when you finally have created yourself. And I'm going to try to explain that with a story. I remember sitting on the floor in kindergarten. You were sitting in a circle in a rug, and Miss Shimmel was on the piano in front of us, and from her. When her hands reached out from behind her back playing the piano, I could see the finger. I could really just see the keys going there. And that fascinated me and didn't fascinate anybody else in the class. I'm the only one that became a musician, okay. And I went through music and art, and I was born in an intense Roman Catholic family. At four years old, I was begging to go to Mass. I loved the pomp and circumstance of the Mass, and I knew I had a profound spiritual movement going onside of me. And I eventually became all these things. And I really honestly believe that if we all go back to three, four and five years old, we'll find some things that really lit up inside us. But you know, you know, it's not cool to dance. All the other guys will think I'm a nerd. It's that kind of thing that shuts us out. We're afraid of the world view of what we want. And sometimes it's our parents slapping us down or bad experience lapping us down. You know what I'm saying. I also wanted to be the world's greatest lover. I failed. Okay, I'm not in any movies at all except the ones I make now. Okay, like I tell people, you know, I had to bribe Santa Claus.
Speaker 6: Uh, so.
Speaker 1: You don't necessarily have to go back to three, four and five years old. Maybe, you know, you know, look at those you know, seven year olds that you know played a little week for the first time, and you know, and now they're playing center field for the New York Yankees. You know, it's we could come to it even late in life. I matter of fact, the guitarist in my second band, his mother went to school with I met him in college and then his mother was also taking classes and she was sixty at the time. And then three of us used to hang out a good bit and after she was in pre law. After she got done and we graduated. She and I graduated around the same time. Russ didn't make it. She went on to law school. She became a great lawyer. Now we used to.
Speaker 7: Go to there.
Speaker 1: I used to hang out a Rust's house. Sometimes the walls were grined with her uh paintings. She was a marvelous painter before she even went to college. And she ended up writing a great book on Jewish women in the Holocaust, you know. And she did all that because like she probably, like you know, fifty eight years old, one day said I think I'm going to go to college. So we don't know when that's going to happen. We don't know how that's going to happen. We we just know that it can happen to each and every one of us if you can tap into that inner source and be practical with the world, but not let it be your taskmaster. Yeah, don't live up to mom's standards. She sucks. Dad works. He didn't give you any He had his dirty magazines in the garage. Now we have the internet.
Speaker 2: H I guess, I mean this is kind of I'm sure.
Speaker 3: You've probably explained this in different ways. But maybe like just like a real quick, I guess summary for the listeners to you, what is nastissism really like?
Speaker 1: Narcissism is plainly and simply you finding your own creative outlet, recognizing it for what it is, and delivering that to the world unapologetically. Because what goes on inside of you will happen outside of you simultaneously. They're synchronistically tied together. Look at the world around you, because that's what's going on inside. Just got to learn to see it the right way, Okay. Gnosticism is celebrating the milestones in our life, like we have services for birth, bringing a child, to adulthood's funerals, that kind of thing. Gnosticism is spiritual community without authority. I'm the director of the Gnostic Church of Life. I'm not God Emperor Doune okay, And my job is to make sure the bills get paid and the building maintenance is up kept and right now, my job is to write the sermons and coordinate our services. But if you came to our service, the first time you get there, I probably try to give you one of the roles, you know, the lesser role in the mass, because you're probably not ready to write a sermon, but well, sure you want to get you to do that, because you can't. And it's where your ideas are, and it can be in how you want to communicate with the community that you're in in that moment, in that service. So everybody has their own way to the light. There's no rules that I can give you. I can give you a couple of guide posts. You can come to me and say, well, you know, interesting, I had this happen, and I can say, well, you know, I can interpret that a little bit for you, but I can say, really, I wasn't there. I don't really know, and I'm not bringing your experience to it. It's just like, don't do people's dream interpretations. If you told me to interpret your dream, I'd say, okay, tell me the first thing that happen in your dream, Now tell it to me is if I was from Mars and I understood the language but the words were hollowed at me, Explain that again. And so suddenly they start to put their own knowledge into the dream, and you start to realize that you're the one that wrote the dream. You interpret it yourself. It's coming from your subconscious. What are you trying to tell yourself, can you tell the difference in dreams? When did they get archetypal that you're producing prophecy? When are they just really stupid? Because they often are. They're just jumbles of the mind reprocessing the day. You know. So you have all these levels to the psyche, and the deepest level is that level we call God. Now, in the Kabbalah, it teaches that that God that you see is ad and I, and he sits at Tiffrath, the heart chacker of the kabbala And so this way you see the worship of God and the loving of God and all that stuff. But eventually Ada and I gives way to your own genius. That augiates comes out of you and you start to realize, I can dialogue with myself. I can have a dialogue with the Savior, a gnostic dialogue. Read Librase sixty five, because that's really what that is. That's the adept talking to his angel through five elements, five chapters. And when you start and that's what Young's Red Book is. That's his dialogue with his psyche with himself. He meets his devil in there, he meets his holy guardian Angel he meets his God. They're all there, and it's literally. Prophecy is the revelation of life. Prophecy is not predicting the future. That's divination. But if we can see deeper into your own soul, then you have the treasure of treasures, the philosopher's soul, pure gold, the sun. Now you can stand up and say, now, I know that I have always known. And so getting back to your point, you weren't put here with a purpose. But when you find that purpose, you will come to feel that you've always known that purpose. I was always that piano player, you know, both as a teenager in my twenties, Who is I going to be? And I'm in a rock and roll bad you know what I'm saying? Who am I going to be? Yes, I didn't know it, but I always knew it. I was always doing this. And I'm sitting there going, well, i haven't written a song in years, and I've tried to write a few things, and but I've been writing sermons and blogs and videos, and man, I'm more creative now than when I was the principal songwriter for My Pants, you know. So I just realized I'm always going to come back to this point. This is who I am. This is the nature of my life. And you know, you know, I work with a bunch of old bags like me and and you know, we're all in our retirement jobs, and they're so angry and they're so bitter and they hate me that I am so literally happy. I'm so filled with joy.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 1: I've been depressed for the last three days over my dog and even the last twelve days that we had to deal with him suddenly getting a foma, going blind, and you're right right down to having to put him down. And I missed my poor buddy. You should have seen my substack podcasts, and you know, me practically crying saying goodbye to my doggie. We're going to experience pain, but life is pure joy. And I experienced the pain of struggle till I could finally be a halfway decent piano player and I'm still not great, and that I could be a halfway decent writer and I'm still not great. And you know what I'm saying that and all that struggle and all that. You know, oh man, this sucks. I write it over, you know, and you finally get there, you finally get to the point where well, wow, you know, these ideas are just coming through me, and it's my inner voice and it's just speaking, you know. And we see the renaissance novelist. You see that the novels become the maps of their minds. They're dealing with their New York medicism and what have you, but they're writing these novels and you're really seeing a map of the humans. Because the human soul is the human soul. That's why the Adam Cadmon is really while depicted as a male because we come from, you know, a male oriented it comes out of a male oriented system. But the Jaquina, the female part of the Adam Cadmon, descends to Earth and becomes the blessing of God. So we see that there's both of these elements in this inside our psyche, and it's really kind of one psyche split in two so that we have the chance of union. That boy might meet girl, trans will never meet girl, Trans will never meet boy. Trans has still got to figure out. Trans to me is like Bell Bottoms when I was a kid. We spent the whole eighties apologizing for it, okay, and it is a fad. It comes down to there's still men and women. That's the sacred mysteries, and they're gonna tend to get together and make babies, you know, and it happens in you know, ninety nine out of one hundred and Yeah, alls I can say is I'm the other one. And I say it with pure joy because I was an artist all my life. I didn't need three jobs.
Speaker 3: All right, Uh, Paul, I think, if anything, I think we'll wrap it up here about an hour, almost close to rounder fifteen. Yeah we are, Yeah, yeah, I would like to, you know, I'm sure we could definitely have you back and talk on some specific topics. Is there anything that you would like to plug again or would you like to let people know where they can find you stuff?
Speaker 6: Well?
Speaker 1: Yeah, first of all, you know Gnostic Church of Light white spelled LVX. Look for our YouTube page. I believe every one of our videos, at least most of our recent ones. And I say the last few months, I keep learning. I'm trying to get better and better. But in the comments you'll get our link tree again. We're on Facebook and Twitter and Reddit and tumble tumbere I'm probably going to stop, but I'm starting to get some reaction but the other three there's some activity. Twitter. I may eventually stop because I'm not getting too much Facebook. I'm only there out of really desperation, because that's where kind of everybody is, and some of our donors they're not anywhere else, so I would be abandoned. But Reddit is where we reach a lot of people and we get we have conversation, and that's really worth your time if you're into conversation, if that's what you want to do. And then of course you know our sub stack, which produces our podcast, which goes on to one of those mean podcasts things automatically when you do a substack, and I'm going to cancel my blog even though i got about three hundred articles on there. We're just about to start our annual membership funding drive, which we do from January two to the Spring equinox every year and we try to get new members, hopefully to get a couple of new donors. This past year, we've invested thirty thousand into painting the building. The year before we fix the roof at twenty grand. We're putting in a great effort. The volume of time I put into all the social media you got so much that we have to offer to teach you. It's all up front, it's all free. If you can give a donation grade. If you want to subscribe to my substack as free or as a paying member, great.
Speaker 2: Come.
Speaker 1: Try us out, test our ideas. Quiz me. Disagree, but don't be disagreeable, and let's explore life together. And you just might make a point something I didn't understand.
Speaker 2: Yeah, if you want after the show, email me all your links and I'll make sure I include them down on the bottom, you know, in the show notes.
Speaker 1: Just all you have to is click on the link tree, you know.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, that's awesome.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, yeah, yeah yeah, just click on the link tree. You got all our links.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we use that as well. All right, awesome, Yeah, give me a link train. I'll make sure I included in the show notes. Lisa, thank you very much again for coming on. I appreciate it. It's always always great.
Speaker 1: Thank you. Thank you both for some great questions and and I had fun then you made me laugh, so.
Speaker 3: Hell yeah hell yeah, oh yeah, I don't know that that was some great That was some great stuff.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I definitely like to get you back on in the future, maybe talk about some more specific topics. Uh again, thank you both, and that is the end of another record read and until the next one, everybody be well later, be well.