Speaker 1: Chevy Capital, My dear Watson, let us return to a humble above two two one b Bakers maintains came.
Speaker 2: From London.
Speaker 3: We present The Mazarine Stone by Michael Hardwick, based on a short story by star Arthica and Doyle, The Mazarine Stone.
Speaker 4: It was pleasant to find myself once more in the untidy room on the first floor of number.
Speaker 2: Two to one B Baker Street, which had been the starting point of so many remarkable adventures.
Speaker 4: I looked round me at the scientific charts upon the wall, the acid charred bench of chemicals, the violin case leaning in the corner, the cold scuttle which contained as of old, the pipes and back. Finally, my eyes came round to the fresh and smiling face of Billy, the young but very wise and tactful page who had helped to fill up the gap of loneliness and isolation which surroundly in the Saturday and figure.
Speaker 2: Of the greed to take you. Now that I was married again and living in Beddington, Ah, it all seems very unchanged. Believe you don't change that now. I hope the same come instead of him. I think he's imbedding asleep. Dot Watson and it's seven o'clock of a lovely summer's evening. That means the case. I suppose History's very odd at it.
Speaker 5: Just now I'm frightening for hisself. He gets paler and thinner and east nothing. Will't you be pleased to die? Mister Romesis. She had to nask him seven point thirty the day after tomorrow. He told her, you know his way when he's keen on the case. Yes, yes, really I know he's following someone. I can tell you that History was out as a workman looking for a job. Today was old woman fairly took me, and he did, And I want to know his ways. By now, this old parasol here against the sofa, well that's part of the woman's outfit.
Speaker 2: You know what it's all about.
Speaker 5: Well, it's this case of the crown diamond.
Speaker 2: What the one hundred thousand pound burglar? Yes, they must get it back.
Speaker 5: So woh, we had the Prime Minister and the old Secretary both sitting on that very sofa. Miss Romes was very nice to them. He se him put them at their ease and promised that you'd do all he could. Then there's Lord Cantlemere. I can't stand his lorter nother on mister Romster. You see, you do believe in mister Romes. And he was against employing him. He'd rather fail.
Speaker 4: Well, we'll hope he won't fail, and that Lord cancell Know will be confounded.
Speaker 2: They said, did here what's the curtain for across the window?
Speaker 5: Oh, mister Romes had it put there three days ago, and we've got something funny behind it, something funny.
Speaker 2: You can see it, so lesser soul, the perfect replica, Shlock Holmes, old blessing God, and all.
Speaker 5: See how the head can move about, Or we put it at different angles, it'll be more lifelike.
Speaker 2: I wouldn't dare at touch it if the blind weren't down mine. But when it's up you can see this from right across the way. Yes, we used some of the other sword once before.
Speaker 6: You know.
Speaker 5: Oh that must have been before my time, sir. There are a folk who watch it from overy on them. I can see your far now.
Speaker 2: You were in danger of your life then, my boy, and I can't do without you just yet. Well, my dear Watson, it's good to see you in your old quarters once agether do you come at a critical moment? Oh, I gather you can go, Billy. That boy is a problem, Watson. How far am I justified in allowing him to be in danger, danger of what helms of sudden death and expecting something to see me? Expect you what to be murdered once? Oh, come come home. You're joking. Even my limited sense of humor could evolve a better joke than death. But we may be comfortable in the meantime. Maybe not. Is alcohol a bitted the gene and regards of the old place, how they let me see you once more in the customary aunt Cher, thank you, that's Watson, your very good health. My dear father. You you have not, I hope, learned to despise my pipe and my lamentable tobacco. It it has to take the place of food these days, because the fact has become refined when you start them. But surely, as a doctor, my dear Watson, you must admit that what your digestion gains the way of blood supply is so much loss to the brain. I am a brain, Watson. The rest of me is a mere appendix. Therefore it is the brain I must consider it's with this dangers. Yes, in case it should come off, it would perhaps do as well, that you should burden your memory with the name and address of the murderer. You could give it a scust and yard with my love and a parting blessing. Sylvia says the name Count Negretto's Sylvia. Or write it down, then write it down one three, six more side gardens, nw. I've nothing to do for it there too, you can count on me. Your morals don't improve, Watson. You bear it fibbing to your other vices. You bear every time of a busy medical man with calls on in every hour, not such important ones. But can't you have this fellow arrested? Yes? I could. That's what what is in sir? Why don't you? Because I don't know where the diamond is?
Speaker 4: Ah?
Speaker 2: Will you tell me the missing ground jewel? Yes, the great yellow Mazarin stone. I've cast my net and I have my fish, but I've not got the stone. What's the use of taking them?
Speaker 4: Oh?
Speaker 2: We can make the world a better place by laying them by the heels. But that's not what I'm out for. It's the stone I want. And is this Count Sylvius one of your fish?
Speaker 4: Yes?
Speaker 2: And he's a shark he buy Oh? The other is Sam Murton, the boxer. Not a bad fellow, Sam, but the Count has used him. He's a great, big, silly, bull headed gudgeon. But he's flopping about in my net all the same. Where is this Count Silvius. I've been at his very elbow all the morning. You've seen me as an old lady, Watson. I was never more convincing. He actually picked up my parasol for me. One by your leave, madam said, He half Italian. You know all the sudden graces of manner when he's in the mood. But he's a devil in kindness in the other mood. Life is full of whimsical happenings, Watson, it might have been tragedy. Well perhaps at night. I've followed him to Owe Tarbanzay's workshop in the Minas Starbanza made the air gun a very pretty bit of work, and I rather fancy it's in the opposite window at the present moment. Billy showed you the dummy, Well, it may get a bullet through its beautiful head at any moment, Miss ramsall Ah, believe what is it.
Speaker 7: There's a gentleman to see you, sir. Here's his God, Thank you, ah, the man himself. I hardly expected this, grasped the little Watson, a man of nerve. Possibly you've heard of his reputation as a shooter of big game. Oh of course, well it would be a ply humph and hiding. Indeed to his ext to the sporting record that he had Medory's back. This is a proof that he feels my toe very close to his heel.
Speaker 2: Said for the police homes. I probably shall, but not just yet. Would you glance carefully out of the window, Watson, and see if anyone is hanging about in the street. Oh, yes, there's one rather door death will be Sam Merton, but faithful, but rather fatuous Sam aways this gentleman Billy. Show him up, and I ring, if I'm not in the room, show him in all the same, Very good sir. Now look here, Holmes, this is simply impossible. This is a desperate man who sticks at nothing. You'll have me believe he may have come to murder you. I shouldn't disapproved, and I insist on saying with you, you'll be horribly in the way, No, my dear fellow, in my way. Well be that as it may. I can't possibly believe. Yes, you can, Watson, and you will, for you've never failed to play the game. I'm sure you will play to the end. Of course, this man has come for his own purpose, but he may stay for money. Nar then take this note Triten. Yes, take a cab to Scotland Yard and get this to y'all of the CID come back with the police. The fellow's arrest will follow. Oh, I'll joy before you return. I may have just time enough to find out where the stone is. And then I'll just ring for Billy to show him up. And I think you'll go out through the bedroom. This second exit is exceedingly useful. You know, I rather want to see my shark without his seeing me, and I have, as you remember, my own way of doing. Yes, the effigy home. Shouldn't the curtain be drawn over again?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 2: No, no, no, relieve it as it is? Oh, perhaps just attached to this splendid head a little forward on the chest, as though somewhere in the middle of forty rings. Yeah, and then come on on, I only help your are doing all anyha please? Oh miss him?
Speaker 4: So, I.
Speaker 2: How very con don't break it, can't don't break what homes it's a pretty little thing, isn't it? The French muddler made it. He's as good at wexperts as your friends. Talvinsay is an air gun? Air guns? What do you mean? Oh? Put your hat and stick on the side table before you attempted to do any other form of Dennis? Very well, thank you, and pray take a seat. Oh would you care to put your revolver out? Also? Very well if you prefer to sit on it. The ob visit is really most opportune, can't tek Is I wanted there? Did? I have a few minutes to chat with you? And I too wish to have words with you, Holmes. That is why I am here. I won't deny that I intended to assault you just now. I rather gathered that you had some idea of the thought in your head. But by these personal attentions, because you have gone out of.
Speaker 4: Your way to annoy me, because you have put your creatures upon my track, my creatures, I assure you no nonsense, I have had them followed.
Speaker 2: Two can play at that game, homes. It's a small point, can't Sylvius? But perhaps you'd kindly give me my prefix when you address me. You can understand that with my routine of work, I should find myself on familiar terms with half rogues gallery. And you will agree that exceptions are invidious. Well, miss Holmes ex but I assure you that you are mistaken about my alleged agent. Other people can observe as well as you. Yesterday there was an old spotting man. Today it's not an elderly woman. They helped me in view all day to really say you continent? Did oh? Baron Dawson said the knight before he was hanged that in my case, what the law had gained, the stage had lost. And now you give my little impersonations your kindly praise. It was you you sent you can see in the corner of the parasol which you so politely handed to me in the minery before you began to suspect what you say now on the mixed matters. Worse, it was not your agents, but.
Speaker 4: Your prey acting busybody self.
Speaker 2: You admit that you have done why nakants you used to shoot lions in Algeria? Well, but why why?
Speaker 4: Who?
Speaker 2: The sport the excitement of danger and no doubt to free the country from a test exactly my reasons? In a nuts does the dancer, sit down and take your hand away from your hip pocket. Thank you. There was another more practical reason I want that yellow diamond. Ah, you knew that I was after you for that. The real reason why you're here tonight is to find out how much I know about the matter and how far my removal is absolutely essential. Well, I should say that from your point of view, it is absolutely essential. But I know all about it save only one thing, which you are about to tell me. Indeed, and pray, what is this missing fact? Where the crown diamond is? Now? You want to know that? Do you? How the devil should I be able to tell you where it is? You can and you will. Indeed, you can't bluff me. Count Sylvius, you are absolute plate glass. I see it to the very back of your mind. But then, of course you see why the garment is a hard Then you do know you have admitted I admit nothing now can't. If you will be reasonable, we can do business. If not, you will get hurt. And you talk about bluff. Do you know what I keeped in this book? No, sir, I do not you me, Yes, sir, you you are all here, every action of your vile and dangerous life. Can your homes it's all yeah, can't the real taxes to the death of all missus Harold who left you the glimer estake which you so readily gambled away, ah, your dream and the complete life history of miss Many Warrander. Yeah, you've made nothing of that. Twenty more here can't. Here is the robbery and the trend that looks to the Roderer on February the thirteen, eighteen ninety two. Here is the Fords check in the same year on the crady leone. What is all this taught? With the jewel who spoke about gently can't restrain their eager mind. Let me get to the points in my own hand drum fashion. I have all this against you, but above all I have a clear case against both you and your fighting bully in the case of the Crown Diamond. Indeed, I had the cabman who took you to Whitehall and the cabman who brought you away. I have the commissionaire who saw you near the case. I have Ikey Saunders who refused to cut it up for you. I kin have speeched and the game is up you. That's the hand I play for I put it all upon the table, but one card is missing. It's the King of Diamond. I don't know where the stone is and you never shall know. No, now, be reasonable. Can't consider the situation. You are going to be locked up for twenty years, Sir is Semmler. What good are you going to get out of your diamond? None in the world. But if you hand it over, well I'll compound a felony. We don't want your Sam, we want the stone. Get that up and so far as I'm concerned, you can go free so long as you behave your set in the future. If you make another slip, well it will be the last. But this time my commission is to get the stone, not you. And if I refuse, why then alas it must be you and not the stone. Did you yestiny? I think count that it would be as well to have your friend Sam at this conference, After all, his interests should be represented. Billy, you will see a large and ugly gentleman outside the front door. Ask him to come up. Very goods and what do you intend to do now? My friend Dr Watson was with me just now. I told him that I had a shark and a gudgeon in my net. Now I am drawing the net, and up they come together. Oh it's no use fingering your revolver behind your back, my friend. Even if I gave you time to draw it, you know perfectly well you dare not use it. Nasty noisy things, revolver letter, stick to air gun. I think I hear the fairy footsteps of your estimable partner. Good day, mister Martin. Rather dull in the streets, is it not?
Speaker 4: What's the guy?
Speaker 2: Cuts? Shut? All? Please? Okay? You whats your fellow want? Cut? What's up? If I may put it in a nutshell, mister Merton, I should say it was all up?
Speaker 4: Now?
Speaker 2: Look here, can't selvius. I'm a busy man and I can't face time. I'm going into that bedroom. Pray, make yourself fie of herm In my absence, you can explain to your friends how the metha lies without the restraint of my presence. I shall fly over the huffman backerole upon my violin. In five minutes I shall return for your final answer. You quite grasped the alternative, do you not? Shall we take you? Or shall we head with stunt off manu?
Speaker 4: We'll said chet on about Let me think, if it's trouble, why didn't you plug him?
Speaker 2: Carr? I get a fool Sam anyone, but you could have seen it was holding a revolt. But if he's pressing gun poppet, Oh.
Speaker 4: Yeah, because you know about ust know the dam said too much about it, and I'm not sure he doesn't know all about it? Cool like his stand has a split on us? Oh yeah, die are doing done? At if? I swim for him and I won't help us much. We've got to make up our minds. Want to look to be half from hope. He's a leary cove that one in there. He wants watching You suppose he's listening. How can he be listening while he's playing that thing?
Speaker 2: Oh that's right? Yeah?
Speaker 4: Oh what is it now? Maybe somebody's behind the curtain. There's too many curtains in this room. I saw Tony Dunnyke.
Speaker 2: What frightly can I do? Too short in it? He said, Livings, I've him gone at all. Oh but them curtains, all confounded curtains. We're wasting our time and there's not too much of it. No, he can lag us over the stone. He's offered to let us slip if we only kill him. Where the swag is? What? Give me up?
Speaker 4: Cub up?
Speaker 2: Only parson quid? It's one or the other. He's alonely yeah next to we met once. She's not. We now need to fear of if we shot him, he could hardly get away in a place like this.
Speaker 4: Oh decided it lightly enough that the priest know whatever evidence he had got.
Speaker 2: What you were of nothing just a noise in the streets. Now look here, God, you got the branch. You can think of a Why aren't sure of you? It's slugg he's no use. Don't talk to you. I fooled better men than homes. The stone is here in my secret pocket. I take no chances leaving it about.
Speaker 4: It can be out of England tonight and cut into four pieces in Amsterdam before Sunday.
Speaker 2: See he knows nothing of Vanstadah. I thought you should Van. I said it was going next week.
Speaker 4: He was.
Speaker 2: But now he must get off by the next boat.
Speaker 4: One of us must slip around with a stone to Lime Street and tell him a fourth foot, and he must take it as it is and chance it.
Speaker 2: There's not a moment to lose, mister Holmes.
Speaker 4: We can fool him easily enough, I'll kill him the stones in Liverpool.
Speaker 2: Oh, can't found that line in music. It's get on my nerves. Come back here on the line of the keyhole. Here's the stone more. I don't know, are you, dear Kerry? Where could I keep it safer?
Speaker 4: If we could take it out of Whitehall, someone else would easily take it out of my lodgings.
Speaker 2: Out of your hand. What would you count it to be safe with me? Well, but that was a wax work. Let here a minute ago where your surprise is very that Stu. You are not aware, of course, that the second of from my bedroom leaves behind that person which was worrying you so much. Mister Murphy. I sensed you must have heard me as I slipped into the Dunne's chair. But las can the passing cam but on my side, So that was it. They gave me a chance of listening to your racy conversation, which would have been painfully constrained had you been aware of my present. Had you no violence, gentlemen, no violence I'd make of you. Consider the furniture. It must be very clear to you that your position is an impossible one. The police are waiting below. All right, they give you best forms. I believe it's not far from him at anything, A fair cop the blooming fiddle tiny shall dear me? You're right? Well let it play. The modern gramophone is a remarkable invention.
Speaker 4: Gromophone in here opposite conser, we'd be waiting to get you and you two, sir.
Speaker 2: P take your hands off like that nord cattlemre is here, sir, oh, show his lordship happily while I switch off there.
Speaker 4: Grim listen, Oh, my dear Holmes, So you're safe after all? Yes, and I see you have candle mere downstairs.
Speaker 2: What shall we make his lordship? Undt there we venture upon a styche lived world? Will you establish by your lordship? Nor cattlemare else, young hamster Holmes constables and fell all over the fish? How do you do? Lord canceled here? It's chilly for the time that year, But father warm indoors wats and pray help me with his lordes and will not take it off? Allow me. My friend doctor Watson will assure you that these changes of temperature a most insidient. Am I not right? I'm quite comfortable, as I answer, I have no need to stay. I'm simply looking to know how your sofa pointed task is progressing.
Speaker 4: Ah.
Speaker 2: It is is difficult, very difficult.
Speaker 8: Ah, I hear you would find yourself every man thinks his imitations with homes.
Speaker 2: But at least it char us of the weakness of self satisfaction. Yes, Sir, I admit I have been much perplexed, no doubt, especially upon one point. Possibly you could help me upon it.
Speaker 9: You will pay for my advice or the leaks in the day I thought you had your own all sufficient methods, So I am ready.
Speaker 2: To help up. Your lordship is most obliging. You see, we can no doubt flame a case against the actual fee when you have caught them exactly. But the question is how shall we proceed against the receiver? Receiver, this is rather premato. It is as well to have our plans ready. Now, what would you regard as final evidence against the receiver the actual possession of a stone? You would arrest him upon their most unto. In that case, my dear sir, I shall be under the painful necessity of advising your address. Mister Holmes, you take a great liberty in fifty years of a fearful life. I cannot, of course such a case.
Speaker 6: I am a busy answer, engaged upon important affairs, and I have no time or taste for foolish jokes. I mean to you, thank you, sir, that I have never been a believer in your powers, and that I have always been of the opinion that that I was fast safer in the handles of a regular police spot.
Speaker 2: Your conduct confirms all of my conclusions. The honsher do this move good evening for one moment, Sir. Actually, to go after the Measarin Stern would be a more serious of his than to be fine in temporary possession of sub This is intolerable. Let me pass such a hand in the right hand pocket of your advocate. What do you mean, come, come, do what I ask? I?
Speaker 8: I well, if it will make an end of the sarade cat the mass in stone, great effort.
Speaker 2: Too bad of me, Lord Cantledere. Too bad. My old friends here will tell you that I have an impish habit of practical jokey. It's also that I can ever resist a dramatic situation. I took the liberty, the very great liberty, I admit of putting the stone into your pockets at the beginning of our interview, Sir, I I am too wildered, but yes, it is indeed the mess in stone. Mister, mister Holmes. We are greatly your debtors. Your sense of humor may be here, as you admit, somewhat perverted.
Speaker 6: And this exhibition remarkably unfinally, remarkably, but at least I even draw any reflection I have made upon your amazing professional powers.
Speaker 2: How the details can wait, no doubt, so cantle me your pleasure in telling of this successful result in the exalted circle to which you returned will be some small atonement for my practical joke.
Speaker 9: And now, of course you have your overcoat. Yes, yes, and I apologize again the souls once more. Then good evening, and you, sir, well, he's.
Speaker 2: An excellent and loyal person. But another the old regime. And now, my dear, wasn't pray taster Belle? And as of old missus, Hudson shall lay dinner or two.
Speaker 3: That was the Mazarine Stone by Michael Hardwick, based on the short story by Sir Arthur Kernhaan Doyle. Sherlock Holmes was played by Carton Hobbs and Doctor Watson by Norman Shelley. Production for the BBC was by Robin Midgley.