Speaker 1: Welcome to Pastor Rick's Daily Hope. We are so glad you're with us today. This is the Bible teaching ministry of Rick Warren, and today we're bringing Rick's powerful series called the Jesus Model to a close. In these lessons, Rick walks you step by step through the process of true Biblical discipleship, giving you practical tools to grow spiritually, experience God's peace, live with greater purpose, and become more like Jesus in every area of your life. Okay, and let's join Rick right now for the final part of a message called growing a Heart like Jesus.
Speaker 2: If you want to have a heart like Jesus, you want to develop heart like Jesus.
Speaker 3: This one's going to shock you even more.
Speaker 2: Not only have to care what Jesus cares about, and you have to be indifferent to what Jesus is indifferent about. Number three, you must get angry about what Jesus gets angry about. You must get angry about what Jesus gets angry about. You say, wait a minute, I thought anger was a sin. Isn't it like a deadly sin? Well, the wrong kind of anger is. But there's a right and wrong anger. There's a good anger, and there's a bad anger. There's a righteous anger, there's no unrighteous anger. In fact, the Bible makes the difference in Ephesians four to twenty six. It says, be angry without sinning. You mean I can get angry without sinning. Yes, you can, if it's the right kind. What's the difference between the right and the wrong kind of anger? The wrong kind of anger is selfish anger, self sinnered anger. It's the kind of anger that when I get angry, it's because you've hurt me, you've frustrated me, or you've made me afraid. That's the three sources of human anger. Frustration, hurt, and fear.
Speaker 3: And if you make me.
Speaker 2: Afraid, you scare me, I get angry. If you hurt me, I get angry if you if you confuse me, I'm confused.
Speaker 3: I'm frustrated. Then I can get angry.
Speaker 2: God says no, no, that's the illegitimate kind, because then it's all about you, your wounded pride.
Speaker 3: He said.
Speaker 2: The right kind of anger is the anger that's based in love, which says, I love, and therefore I'm angry about this. When you see, for instance, two million young girls who are sold in the sex slave trade every year around the world. Somebody ought to get angry about that. That's wrong. Somebody ought to get angry about it. When we see people suffering when other people have so much, somebody ought to get angry about that. When we see injustice, when we see poverty, when we see prejudice, when we see things aren't being fair, somebody ought to get angry about that. See, a lot of people don't realize that anger is not always a sin. God gets angry, and if anger is a sin, then God sins.
Speaker 3: But he doesn't. It's a righteous anger.
Speaker 2: One day, I'm going to write a sermon I'm going to deliver to you called What makes Jesus Mad. Maybe i'll call it what Ticks Jesus Off, because there's actually a chapter in the Bible where he really gets mad at the religious leaders, the legalist, the fundamentalist, the bigots, the phonies, the pharisees, the hypocrites, and he does a series of woes and he says, woe to you for this, and woe to you for that. He's really letting it him. I mean, he's canning their hide and he really lets it out. By the way, Jesus never got angry with unbelievers, you know, people for their sin.
Speaker 3: He got angry with religious.
Speaker 2: People who wouldn't trust him, who claimed to follow him but didn't, who acted one way and did another, who put burdens on people that they themselves wouldn't hold up to, who tried to use a religion to make money, who profited personally from God's word with and made it a business instead of seeing it as a ministry. He got upset with religious people. In fact, twice he went to the temple, and the Bible says he cleansed the temple because they had turned the temple into a flea market, and they had made all these rules where you had to go sacrifice, and poor people would come and couldn't afford to buy an animal to be sacrificed, or a bird or whatever. And people out had set up these tables to sell these things, so that your forgiveness was based on you buying this stuff, and they jack up the price, and Jesus got ticked. And when they were walking through the temple and using it as a shortcut to get to the other side of town.
Speaker 3: He said, hold on time out.
Speaker 2: My house will be called the house of prayer. You've turned this thing into a dent of thieves. And Jesus gets out there and he falls off the handle. He starts throwing over the money changer's temple, the tables, and they're throwing stuff around.
Speaker 3: And cleaning the place out.
Speaker 2: Most of you don't have an image of Jesus throwing furniture in your mind. But he did. And that is not the image of gentle Jesus. Meek and mild, you see.
Speaker 3: Some of you.
Speaker 2: The only vision of Jesus you got is this sissy Jesus, who every little curl is in place, and there's no spot on this perfectly white robe. And he walks the hills of Jerusalem, skipping and picking flowers and talking about peace and love in a soft voice. No, Jesus was a man's man. Remember First he was a carpenter. He worked thirty years in the carpenter shop. He hung out with fishermen who weren't exactly you know, cultured people.
Speaker 3: And Jesus threw furniture.
Speaker 2: Why because there's some things in life you need to get mad at. When things are wrong, when things are evil, when things are unjust, are unfair. Let me give you a couple of things that Jesus gets mad about that. If you're gonna be used by God, you're gonna have to get mad about him too. There's gonna be some things in your life you're gonna have to get angry about. Number One, Jesus gets angry when the needs of children go unmet. Jesus gets angry when the needs of children go unmet.
Speaker 3: Very few instances.
Speaker 2: In the Bible made Jesus more upset than these instances with children. In Matthew Chen verse thirteen and fourteen, it says people brought children to Jesus hoping that he might touch them, in other words, just to bless these little ones. But the disciples scolded them. He said, get out of here, you guys. Shoot, get out.
Speaker 3: The Master doesn't want to see you guys. Get out of here.
Speaker 2: And it is pushing the people who brought their children away and pushing the children away. And it says when Jesus saw this, he was indignant, circle indignant. He gets ticked off, he's mad, and he said, don't you push these children away. Don't you ever get between them and me. These children are at the very center of life in the kingdom. When children are mistreated, misused, abused, uncared for, and their needs going met. God gets mad.
Speaker 3: Don't you? He said?
Speaker 2: These children are the kingdom of God. They are the kingdom of God. Look at this verse up here on the screen. Here's another verse where Jesus that anyone who causes the downfall of one of these little ones, you cause them to go astray and their needs aren't.
Speaker 3: Mad and they fall away.
Speaker 2: Says one of these little ones, it would be better to be thrown into the sea with a giant millstone hung around his neck. So what are you really feeling, Jesus? He said, don't you ever dare hurt a child? And if you don't meet their needs, you go off and you build your career at to expense your kids. I'm ticked at you. You go off and build your reputation or have your fun and leave the kids in the lurch because you want to go have an affair or sometime you're in trouble. He said, you need to care about little kids. Why because Jesus said, they are the kingdom of God.
Speaker 3: These little ones are the future.
Speaker 2: If you have served in children's ministry at Saddleback in any time, or you served in student ministry in anytime, I'd like.
Speaker 3: You to just stand up so I could honor you and we could express our appreciation. Children are student ministry in anytime. Great, thank you, thank you.
Speaker 2: Oh there's another thing that makes Jesus mad, and that is when the suffering of others is ignored. When the suffering of others is ignored, and in Luke eleven forty six, Jesus says, woe to you, because you load down people with burdens they can hardly carry, and you, yourselves will not even lit the finger to help them. Half the world lives on less than two dollars a day, a billion people on one dollar a day.
Speaker 3: What are we doing to help them? Let's just go back to children for just a minute.
Speaker 2: You know, every single day, every twenty four hours, thirty thousand children are in the world die from preventable diseases.
Speaker 3: Thirty thousand a day.
Speaker 2: This is not like having aids or others. It's very preventable diseases. It's like measles, mumps, cough typhus, malaria, stuff nobody gets here in America, or at least dies from thirty thousand children.
Speaker 3: Do you know what the number one killer of children is in the world. It's diarrhea. You know where that comes from? Bad water? They just don't have clean drinking water. How simple is that?
Speaker 2: One thirty thousand children die every day from preventable diseases. Now, about three years ago, there were this big tsunami in Southeast Asia when two hundred and forty thousand people died.
Speaker 3: From that huge tidal wave.
Speaker 2: We all remember that, and the world opened up its arms and poured resources in there to help those poor people. But do you know that in the world we have a tsunami with children every eight days, two hundred and forty thousand children boom, they're gone. Why because we don't have people angry.
Speaker 3: Enough to say enough's enough. We're gonna stop this.
Speaker 2: We're not gonna go another year losing two hundred and forty thousand.
Speaker 3: Kids needlessly every week.
Speaker 2: It's unacceptable. But nothing's gonna happen. Do we get angry? Do you know that right here in Orange County we have about three thousand children awaiting foster care. They need to be put in a stable home because of abuse, violence, guns, drugs.
Speaker 3: And other things.
Speaker 2: Three thousand children they didn't to nothing of their own fault. You know, in our church we have four thousand small groups, and we've got them in every city's other California. If every small group on our church said we'll take responsibility for one foster children child, we wipe.
Speaker 3: That out one week, there wouldn't be a waiting list.
Speaker 2: But it's not gonna happen to We get angry about the suffering of others that is ignored, about the needs of children, that goes unmat and so when we talk about these things, it's not a matter of charity, it's.
Speaker 3: A matter of justice.
Speaker 2: God is not just a god of charity. God is love, but God is also a just God. That's why sin has to be punished, and God says, when this isn't fair, it needs to be made right. So we have to care about justice in the world, and that means sometimes getting angry out of love. If somebody tried to hurt or rape my wife, I'd get angry. If somebody tried to hurt or abuse my children and grandchildren, I'd get angry. Why it is my God assigned responsibility as a husband and his father to protect my wife and children and grandchildren. That's my job. I am to protect them according to God's word. And there are some things in life that if you don't get angry, it means you're not very loving.
Speaker 3: It means you're apathetic.
Speaker 2: It means you don't understand justice. God is looking for people to use and he doesn't care how little talent you've got. He doesn't care what you've done in the past, how much you've blown it, you screwed it up, you messed up, things you've been ashamed of.
Speaker 3: He says, where's your heart? Now?
Speaker 2: God's looking at the heart. And if you say, use me, God will make you a world changer. Now we've got to care about what Jesus cares about. We couldn't care less about what Jesus doesn't care about, be indifferent to it. We've got to get angry about the things that are worthy of getting angry about. But then that's got to move into action. And the fourth thing we have to do is we have to sacrifice for what Jesus sacrificed. Jesus said, I didn't come to be served. I didn't come to live a selfish life. I came to serve and to give my life as a sacrifice as.
Speaker 3: A ransom for many. Now here's the amazing thing.
Speaker 2: If you will make the switch from living for yourself to living for Jesus Christ and his agenda, your happiness meter is going to go off the record.
Speaker 3: It's going to go way into the red zone.
Speaker 2: Why because God has wired the universe that the more we become like him, giving, generous, unselfish, the happier we get. There are two kinds of people in life. They are takers and givers. And everybody knows takers are miserable. They live these little selfish clod of a life, and they're never satisfied, and they're always angry, they're always uptight and always irritated.
Speaker 3: With everybody else.
Speaker 2: And then they're givers who walk around living life to the fullest, understanding the meaning of life, full of happiness.
Speaker 3: You live for yourself, you're miserable, you give your life away. You're happy. You see.
Speaker 2: Real self esteem does not come from what the world tells you. You want to feel good about you, You want to like you, You want to feel your life matters, that your life is important, and you want to feel good about out yourself. Nothing wrong with that, it's how you try to fulfill it. You will never find self esteem through status symbols doesn't work. You will never find self esteem through salary, because somebody will always make more than you do. You will never find self esteem feeling good about yourself through multiple sexual partners. Self esteem does not come from status, sex, or salary.
Speaker 3: It comes from service.
Speaker 2: It comes from sacrificing yourself for something greater than you. Sacrificial service. Jesus said it like this, Mark eight. If you try to keep your life for yourself, you will lose it. You lose the meaning of it, you lose the purpose of it, you lose the joy of it.
Speaker 3: You waste your life.
Speaker 2: But if you give up your life, in other words, you sacrifice it for something greater than yourself. For if you give up your life for my sake, for Jesus, and for the sake of the Good News, go everywhere to everyone, you will find true life. Now, this is what the Peace Plan that we've been doing for five years is all about. The Peace Plan is not our plan. It's the Jesus Plan. It's the five things Jesus did when he was here on earth. We just call it peace plan. When Jesus was here on earth, he did five things in giving himself away, besides dying on the cross. Obviously, as our savior. You can't do that, but you can do these five things that he modeled. First, he went out and he helped people get right with God and write with each other. He said, build a bridge to God. Actually, God build a bridge to you through Christ.
Speaker 3: You don't build that bridge.
Speaker 2: And then you build a bridge to other people. He says, make peace with God, make peace with others. That's called reconciliation. And the Bible says God has given us the ministry of reconciliation. That means helping people get to know and have peace with God and get to know and have peace with other people.
Speaker 3: Promote reconciliation. That's the pee and peace.
Speaker 2: And then he equipped leaders because everything rises or falls on leadership. And he trained twelve disciples, and then he trained seventy two more and we talked about how he trained them. You can do that. Everybody is a leader, just in different ways. You're a leader in your family, you're a leader with your friends. The leadership is just influence, and we can teach you how to teach leadership, how to teach purpose driven life. And then he assisted the Poor Jesus first sermon. We covered that in this series where the very first sermon in his hometown. He says, the first since spirit of the Lord has spawned me to preach good news to the poor. Does God have favorites? Yes, he loves the poor. And God says, I've blessed you to be a blessing to others. What are you doing for the poor? I'm watching to see what you're going to do with all I've given you. And then Jesus cared for the sick, and the Bible says Jesus went into every village preaching, teaching, and healing. Of his ministry was preaching, that's sharing the good news. One third of his ministry was teaching. That's education. He was a teacher, And one third of his ministry was health care.
Speaker 3: He was a healer.
Speaker 2: I mentioned this last week. That's the reason why you go in almost any country, first school and the first hospitals are almost always started by Christian missionaries, because our faith is a preaching, teaching, healing faith. Jesus taught us he's not just cared about the soul. He cares about the mind, education, he cares about the body, health care, and he cares about the spirit salvation. And that's what we teach. That's what Saddleback's all about. Preaching, teaching, and healing. Jesus is our teacher, our savior, and our healer. So we value education, we value health care, and we value salvation because God cares about it all.
Speaker 3: Body, mind, and spirit. And then he educated the young and we just looked at those passages said let the young people come to me. They are the kingdom of God.
Speaker 2: And he wanted them to grow up because ignorance is a prison that keeps people from becoming all God wants them to be. You want to leave a legacy. You want your life to count. You want to make a difference with your life. You want people to know that what you did mattered than just your lifetime.
Speaker 3: Do what Jesus did. Peace.
Speaker 2: I wish I had time to tell you stories from India, from Guatemala, from Argentina. I wish I had time to tell you stories of the Peace Plan in all the different churches that we're working in around the world. Did you know that in Psalm chapter two, verse eight, there's a verse It's an amazing promise where God says this. He says, if you'll just ask me, I will use you to change the world. That's all you got it is ask, He says, If you'll ask me, I will actually use you to change entire nations.
Speaker 3: Look at the verse. It's here on the screen, he says. Only ask, Just to ask. God says, and I'll give you.
Speaker 2: The nations as your inheritance and the ends of the earth as your possessions. You'll go everywhere to everyone. Saddleback is the church that has decided to take that verse series, And so we're asking. We start asking a group of people years ago saying, God give us the whole world. Let us reach out to every nation, and I invite you to join us.
Speaker 3: That's powerheads.
Speaker 2: Dear Jesus Christ, I love you so much, and if you never did anything else for me, I owe you the rest of my life. And I want you to know, whether anybody else says yes or not, today I'm in.
Speaker 3: I am all yours. I'm saying, use me.
Speaker 2: I want to be used whenever, wherever, however, in any way you want. And I want you to change my heart to be more and more like Jesus every day. I want to care about what Jesus cares about, and he cares about everybody in the world, even the people we don't like.
Speaker 3: Or agree with. Help me to be loving to everybody.
Speaker 2: And I want to love the Church, Lord, the way you do your family, your flock, your bride, your body that you died for. Forgive me for times I've used the church and not loved it. Lord, helped me to be indifferent to the things that you're indifferent to, to not care about what the world thinks is so important but isn't even going to last till next week. I'm going to keep my eyes on the thing that matter most. And God, help me to be angry about what I should be angry about. When I see prejudice, when I see injustice, when I see little children hurt, abused, misused or unloved, when I see talent wasted and poor people caught in a trap. When we see suffering people in refugee camps, people who want it education but can't afford it. Help me to get angry about the evil that's in the world, and then move me in love to sacrifice whatever it takes in time and money and energy and reputation.
Speaker 3: Thy will be done in my life.
Speaker 2: If that prayer represents your prayer, you just now say me too, God, what Rick has prayed me too? Lord, we look forward to the next eighteen months and what You're going to do in our church, and I look forward to the exciting miracles and blessings that will happen in lives and families and homes as we become more and more.
Speaker 3: Totally dedicated to You. In your name, I pray Amen.
Speaker 1: That was such an encouraging message from Pastor Rick. And now to encourage us more, here's Rick with a letter from one of our listeners.
Speaker 2: You know, I really like to end these broadcasts by reading some of the letters that come in from you. They always encourage me, and I think when I read and they encourage you. This one's from a woman named Joy. She says, thank you so much Pastor Rick for the daily Hope devotional messages that are emailed to me. They helped me get through tough times. She said, I feel like I didn't have the right to question God, but I wondered why He was letting me expo all these things. But now through these devotionals, I look on what's happening as a challenge for my betterment. And I may not know all of God's reasons in this moment, but I believe that God will not let me down, and instead I believe He'll guide me in the right path where his help, his guidance, his forgiveness, and his blessings and his prayers are always abundant.
Speaker 3: Thank you signed Joy. Well, thank you Joy.
Speaker 2: I'm encouraged by your faith, and I know other people will be too who hear this letter. You know we can always trust that God's in control even when we don't understand why things are happening. And it blesses me when I hear people like you finding hope. That's the whole purpose of this program. Thanks for listening today and join me next time as we continue looking in God's word for our daily hope.
Speaker 1: To sign up for Rick's free daily devotional, go to Pastorick dot com. That's pastorick dot com. Be sure to join us next time as we look into God's.
Speaker 3: Word for our daily hope.
Speaker 1: This program is sponsored by Pastor Rick Daily Hope and your generous financial support.
Speaker 3: H