Speaker 1: You're listening to KFI AM six forty wake Up Call with me Amy King on demand on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 2: KFI and kost HD two Los Angeles, Orange County. It's time for your morning wake up call.
Speaker 3: Here's Amy King.
Speaker 1: Good morning. It's five o'clock, straight up. This is your wake up call for Tuesday, November fifth. I'm Amy King. We're live everywhere on the iHeartRadio app. Big day, Election day finally here, can you believe it? Of course, we're not gonna know anything for a while, unless there's some sort of unexpected landslide. We'll be watching. You're gonna have all your election results right here on KFI, but not right now. It's early. Here's what's ahead. On wake up call. Poll workers will loudly announce the polls are open at seven am to start the voting this election day. Didn't know that, but that's actually a rule. The Secretary of State's office says voting cannot begin until that announcement is made. Hundreds of polling locations in the south Land will be open from seven am till eight pm. You can get more information on where to vote in person or drop off your mail in ballot at the Secretary of State's website. We're going to be talking election security with the ABC's Josh Margolin. That's coming up at five point thirty five. Also, who is winning the election online with ABC's Mike Debuski. Kind of interesting, that's coming up in less than five minutes. And what effect will the election have on your four oh one k IF any We'll be talking to the host of How to Money on KFI, Joel Larsgard. That's coming up at five point fifty. So lots of election, but there's lots of other things going along going on this morning. The Boeing strike has ended. After more than seven weeks. About thirty three thousand workers with the International Association of Machinist Union voted to accept Boeing's latest offer. It includes a thirty eight percent pay increase over four years, a twelve thousand dollars signing bonus, and increased contributions to four oh one case. The nearly two month long strike is estimated to have cost Bowing more than six and a half billion dollars. A test launch of an unarmed minute Man three intercontinental ballistic missile is planned for tonight or tomorrow morning from Vandenberg Space for Space official say it's a routine test launch and as part of existing nuclear arms treaties, the US will notify Russia about the test before it happens. Let's get started with some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. Vice President Harris and former President Trump have made their final pitches to voters in some key states, and now it is up to the voters. Tens of millions have already cast ballots, but many are voting on election Day today. Harris spent her day yesterday in Pennsylvania, ending the night in Philadelphia at the Art Museum Steps made famous in the Rocky movie. Trump wrapped up in Michigan. He's expected to watch election results from Florida. Harris is expected to have an election night event at Howard University that's where she graduated from college. Federal prosecutors will be monitoring elections throughout southern California.
Speaker 4: For more than twelve years, prosecutors across the country have been keeping an eye on how elections are held for months leading up to an election that Feds meet with local officials to work out how to best handle discrimination and intimidation at the polls, threats of violence directed at election officials and workers, and election fraud. Prosecutors in Southern California will oversee actions in seven counties including La Orange, San Bernardino, and Riverside, and prosecutors also work with the FBI and say if you're involved with any kind of election related violence or intimidation, called nine to one one first because local police can respond faster. Steve Gregory kaef.
Speaker 1: I News union Boeing machinists in Seattle have accepted a contract offer, ending a more than seven week long strike. The union's John Holdens's members security victory with a fifty nine percent vote yesterday, and now it's.
Speaker 5: Our job to get back to work and start building the airplanes, increase the rates, and bring this company back to financial success.
Speaker 1: The deal includes thirty eight percent pay raise over four years, plus ratification and productivity bonuses. Thousands of DACA recipients in Southern California can now enroll in government subsidized healthcare for the first time ever.
Speaker 6: The largest population of DOCA recipients is in Los Angeles covered California.
Speaker 2: As Jessica Altman says, forty thousand of the state's two hundred thousand so called Dreamers are now eligible for insurance through the Affordable Care Act.
Speaker 6: We are closely tracking a legal challenge that some states brought against the new regulation issued by the Biden Harris administration. As of now, no action has been taken to stop the rule from going into.
Speaker 2: A fact, forty six million Americans are covered by the Affordable Care Act, with almost a fourth of them paying no monthly premium. Open Enrollment INNS January thirty first, Corbin Carson, k FI News.
Speaker 1: It's five seven on your Tuesday morning election wake up call. Let's say good morning to ABC's Mike Debuski. So, Mike, people aren't only talking about the election in the hallways and at home, they're talking about it on the most powerful platform today online and someone's watching them. So what are they saying?
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's right.
Speaker 7: So there's this new survey out from hoots Suite, which is this company that tracks the sentiments that social media users are feeling online and the way they do this, they means by tracking certain keywords online that determine which conversations are being had on Facebook, on TikTok, on x and whether they're positive or negative for either candidate. The findings here are pretty interesting. A lot more accounts online in general are talking about Donald Trump as opposed to Kamala Harris, about fifty percent more. In fact, that's three posts for Donald Trump for every two mentioning Kamala Harris. They break things out by gender, they break things out by age, But the big takeaway from the survey amy is that both candidates, when you add positive sentiment to negative center, are discussed overwhelmingly negatively online.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that doesn't surprise me at all. I mean, I really think leading up to the selection, these were two people that nobody wanted to run. Maybe not no better, you know what I mean, But that was the sentiment.
Speaker 7: I mean certainly that is backed up at least by online data. And what's worth mentioning here is that this survey, of course, does not translate into people actually going out and casting a vote or casting a ballot, whether they will or won't do that. It's purely a sentiment a vib's based assessment here, if you will. But it is interesting to kind of look into some of the cross tabs here. Donald Trump enjoys more positive sentiment online in all age groups except for one that's those sixty five and older, where Kamala Harris is discussed more positively online than Donald Trump is so also a gender breakout, which is kind of interesting. Net sentiment is overwhelmingly negative for both candidates among men and women. Again, that's something that we should have expected given the sort of early or overwhelmingly negative sentiment number. Harris though, is discussed more negatively online than Trump among men specifically, whereas it's about even for women.
Speaker 1: Interesting, So, is there anything that's like does it break down like what kinds of things are hitting home? You know, like Trump really is going in all in on immigration and the economy. Are those things showing up as missing the mark or hitting the mark for him? Or do they track that?
Speaker 7: So they didn't look at issues specifically, but they did look at endorsements, which I thought was very interesting. Every election cycle we kind of ask ourselves the question, you know, does it really matter who Beyonce throws her support behind? Well, if you track online sentiment, it's certainly you know, creates a lot of discussion online. So today Elon Musk endorsed Donald Trump. That was on July thirteenth this past summer generated nearly two hundred and thirty thousand results online that they posts mentioning the endorsement of, you know, Donald Trump by Elon Musk. When Taylor Swift endorsed Kamala Harris, it generated one hundred and seventy six thousand reactions online, So a smaller number, but both pretty large numbers online when you consider that this is just tracking one day across multiple social media platforms. What's also interesting here amy that you know, we've talked about in the past, the Brat summer memes that Kamala Harris you know, leaned into the Harris campaign leaned into over the summer Brat summer. Of course, a reference to the Bratt album from from Charlie XCX that gout somewhw popular this past summer. You know, people online thought, you know, it is kind of funny, and they remixed it with certain Kamala Harris you know, speeches, and it became this sort of online movement that was a genuine expression of support for the Vice president. You know, we've talked two hundred and thirty thousand reactions for Elon Musk endorsing Donald Trump, one hundred and seventy six for Taylor Swift and Kamala Harris. Only sixty thousand results for Kamala Harris and the word Bratt again a reference to that album from Charlie xc Strali XCX also through her support behind Kamala Harris, but much as smaller number.
Speaker 3: There than I think I was expecting. Maybe it's just speaking to the sort of viral power of figures like Elon Musk and Kamala Harris or and Taylor Swift, I should say.
Speaker 1: And how well known that artist is too, because I mean that artist would be known to younger voters, but not I mean, like I don't know who that is really.
Speaker 7: Yeah, it might have part of it as well. Yeah, And I mean you kind of go back to the age question where you know, Donald Trump is, is you know, enjoying somewhat positive sentiment or at least more positive sentiment online among those younger age groups. You know, how does that translate to Elon Musk. You know, I'm here in Bucks County right now, a crucial swing district in a swing state. Been talking to Trump supporters and several of them mentioned the Elon Musk endorsement and how they saw that as a as a net positive. They liked the Elon Musk is in the fold here, and yeah, that's absolutely resonating online as well. Of course, we can't forget that Elon Musk also owns the X platform formerly Twitter, and that's a pretty big platform for political discussion as we've seen play out over the last several months.
Speaker 1: Okay, and speaking of big platforms for political discussion, podcasts have beencome a really big deal this selection cycle.
Speaker 3: They really have.
Speaker 7: Now, podcasts have been around forever, they've been around for a really really long time, but this election cycle we really saw both campaigns lean into the podcasting circuit, but one more than the other. The Trump campaign sat for multiple long form interviews with podcast hosts. Obviously, the Joe Rogan podcast was the biggest of those, and that's the podcast that can stretch two to three hours long. Don Trump also sat with CEO Vaughn and Logan Paul, other very prominent online influencers who host sort of long form podcasts that ours campaign did much the same. They sat for the Call Her Daddy podcast with Alex Cooper. That's a several hour long podcasts well sort of long form format interview there. But we really didn't see them go much bed beyond that. Instead, the Harris campaign focused on these shorter form videos. Again, we talked about these sort of brat summer memes. A lot of that you know, energy was typified by TikTok videos and edits that were posted on social media. The short form content for the Democrats. We're gonna have to see how that plays out in real life when you know, voters, you know, head to the polls today and the votes start being tallied through tonight and tomorrow morning. But you know, this is a kind of interesting glimpse into that. The long form versus the short form talk a lot about attention spans online and what role that plays among younger, you know, voters potentially versus long form podcasts, which are also popular among that cohort as well. So it's really hard to get a grasp on it, but it's kind of interesting to track.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and interesting. You mentioned the Joe Rogan podcast that he came out last night and endorsed Trump, which it'll be interesting again to see does that mean anything, Do the celebrity endorsements mean anything, Does Joe Rogan mean anything? Or are people hopefully making up their own mind. We'll see any any last minute things we can expect to see online today as people are heading out to vote.
Speaker 7: I mean, obviously people are keeping a close eye on the potential for conspiracies to threat to spread. You know, given the sort of high stakes nature of this election. We saw, given that in twenty twenty, related to the COVID nineteen pandemic, there be a whole influx of conspiracy theories flood onto the internet, you know, the longer it took for the votes to be tallied. Then speaking to kind of local elections officials here and they say that, you know, in Pennsylvania they can't start counting mail in ballots until the morning of about an hour ago is when they started tallying those ballots that have come in. They're in a much better position. They tell me that, you know, they can count these ballots faster. They have more modern machinery that is allowed to do this and that hopefully will shrink the amount of time it takes for these votes to be counted and as such not allow as much time for conspiracy to spread online. But that's definitely something that you know, law enforcement and online elections experts are are going to be playing a pretty close attention to today and into tomorrow.
Speaker 1: Okay, Mike Tbuski in Bucks County, Pennsylvania. I'm sure you have a long day ahead and we will be talking to you again soon. Thanks so much for the information. As always, of course, Dami, take care. All right, let's get back to some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. The winds have died down, but they're expected to pick up again tomorrow, increasing fire danger in the Southland. Red flag warnings will be in effect from tomorrow morning until Thursday evening in La and Ventura Counties, along with high wind advisories for much of southern California.
Speaker 8: We're looking at critical fire weather conditions on Wednesday and Thursday because those.
Speaker 7: Are the days where we have the strongest wind and the lowest humidity.
Speaker 1: The National Weather Services Alex Tardi says the Santa Anas could be the strongest we've seen this year, win gus sixty to eighty miles per hour expected in the mountains, with gus up to one hundred miles per hour possible. A man's been arrested for what police are calling a felony hit and run during a street takeover in Anaheim. Investigator say the man was driving a black dodged charger seen on video, hitting several people at Orangewood Avenue and State College Boulevard last week. Video shows the cars spinning out and trapping two young men under it. Police say the nineteen year olds were taken at the hospital. The driver ran away before police got there. He was arrested three days later. The La County Board of Supervisors may get active in pushing for Hollywood tax credits.
Speaker 5: The proposal from Governor Newsom would more than double California's tax credits for the film and TV industry to seven hundred and fifty million dollars. The Board of Supervisors will take up a motion tomorrow in support of that effort, and, if approved, would direct the county's lobbying arm to spring into action, engaging all eighty eight cities. Hollywood has been hit by dwindling returns in the fallout from dual strikes last year by writers and actors. Newsom has said making the state more attractive through incentives would make it more competitive with the states and countries luring away productions in downtown La. Michael Monks KFI News.
Speaker 1: Tributes for legendary music producer Quincy Jones, if flooded in Oprah, posted on Instagram yesterday that her life was forever changed by the better after meeting him, while Paul McCartney wrote, Quince's always had a twinkle in his eye and a very positive, loving spirit. Doctor Dre said the reason he decided to become a record producer was because of Quincy Jones and even Vice President Harris as she was honored to call Jones a friend. Jones co produced We Are the World. He won twenty eight Grammy Awards during his producing time of Ray, Charles, Frank Sinatra, Diana Ross, Stevie Wonder. Quincy Jones died Sunday at ninety one. Metro is offering free rides on buses, trains, bikes in its Metro micro program for Election Day. Nine LA Metro stations also have vote by mail dropboxes on site. Fairs are also being waived for the LA Department of Transrotation Santa Monica's Big Blue Bus, Culver City Bus, Long Beach and Foothill transits. The mansion tax in LA has taken in hundreds of millions of dollars, but it kind of missed projections. Measure ULA went into effect about eighteen months ago. It adds a four percent fee on property sales over five point one million dollars and five and a half percent on sales over ten point three Six hundred and seventy properties sold in the last eighteen months brought in four hundred and thirty nine million in tax revenues. Sounds like a lot, but initial projections were that the measure would take in between six hundred million and a trillion dollars during its first eighteen months. Time to dust off those skis and snowboards. Snowmaking crews have been busy for weeks, and the Mount Rose Ski Tahoe Resort is kicking off as sixtieth season on Friday. The resort has a fourteen to eighteen inch basin areas and has cooler weather than some other mountain areas. At six oh five, it's handle on the news. Some states are now allowing the Justice to apartments election are Actually, some states are not allowing the Justice departments election monitors into polling places. Bill's going to tell you why so, Starbucks. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. But if it is, you might want to try something new. I don't know if you've noticed the new ads for Starbucks. I don't think I've ever seen ads for Starbucks, and now I'm seeing them on TV a lot, and they're very basic. It's like a cup of coffee and tries to bring back that nostalgic feeling of chilling and just starting your morning in a nice relaxing way. I used to work in Starbucks.
Speaker 9: Yeah, and it's called your third place when when you feel like that, So your home is your first place, yeh, work is your second place, and then Starbucks is your third place.
Speaker 1: Well, I think Starbucks has lost its third place over the last years. They just came up last week reporting a third straight quarter of slumping sales and less customers customers coming into Starbucks. Remember when Starbucks was like the place to hang out. You would go and you'd go in there and you'd see people just kind of camped out or meeting friends or working on their computers. I haven't noticed that as much, and I haven't been going as much. I almost never go to Starbucks anymore. Well, their prices like doubled. Their prices have gone up. Yeah, it's pretty crazy.
Speaker 9: When my wife's like, can you get me this, and I'm like six bucks seven bucks, it's coffee, it's happening here.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well they're making some changes. I've noticed this too. Remember they used to write your name on the cup, and then it went automated, and they have the little labels that they would put on the cup. They're going back to writing your names on the cups, the personal touch.
Speaker 10: Can I ask you something, cono, Yeah, do you purposely? Did you guys purposely write names wrong?
Speaker 1: Purposely?
Speaker 10: Yeah? But sometimes the spellings of basic names, I mean, come on.
Speaker 1: Are you saying a that they spelled your name wrong a lot.
Speaker 10: No, they always put an e on it. But whatever, I'll let that slide. But it just seems like basic names.
Speaker 9: Well, sometimes we don't hear it, we didn't hear it correctly, and then we ask you know, we asked Mike next to me, Hey, did you hear their name? And no, okay, let just put them down, just put some down. That person was red hair, yes, and you can't.
Speaker 1: Put that on the cup. Person with red hair, you can't put that on the cup.
Speaker 11: No.
Speaker 1: I mean I don't think they would like that. Oh maybe that's probably true, hey red Yeah, I mean I wouldn't be offended by that, But that's Okay, So the other thing that Starbucks is doing is it's also bringing back self serve condiment stations. Apparently they took those out when the pandemic hit, so they're letting you do that, and they're saying that that's going to speed things up, because that's the other thing. Every time I do go into two Starbucks, the line is forever. I'm like for a cup of coffee, really, and I just I don't want to wait for it. It's more than a couple of coffee. Amy. Well, yeah, okay, So and then you know the double Calf, triple Whip nothing with oat milk and all of that stuff. They've got those special tea milks that aren't dairy. They used to charge for those. They're gonna stop charging for those, so you'll get those included. I think that's good. Charging an extra twenty bucks for oat milk. Okay, maybe not twenty bucks, but I just I think that might have been a little over the pot top. But the new CEO is trying to bring things back down. They're also going to cut out promotions. They're not going to offer the discounts as much because they want to make it more of a premium we'll see if it works. I don't see myself stepping up my Starbucks anytime soon. My sister in law is a Starbucks junkie. She still goes like twice a day, runs down wild, takes a break from work and runs to Starbucks. So she gets new Starbucks mugs every Christmas. She's any person to shop for. But anyway, we'll see if it works. But they got to do something right three quarters in a row, and plus they have I think they have competition from Little Mom and Pops. The coffee is really good and you kind of feel like it's more of a personal touch. I like that too. We shall see, we'll be watching. It's making me want a nice vanilla latte though, or like Anna and I talked about a Chaiiti lat I love that. I do love their Chai Ti LTEs. Yes, all right, let's get back to some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. Races for the House and Senate are going to determine which party holds the majority in Congress. Democrats in California and New York are trying to win back seats held by Republicans, who now control the House. Senate attention is focused on Montana and the so called Blue Wall states of Pennsylvania, Michigan, and Wisconsin, where Republicans are trying to unseat Democrats. The Pentagon says the National Guard is being activated across eighteen states and Washington, d C. To help with election day security. Pentagon Press Secretary Major General Pat Ryder says hundreds of National Guard troops are on standby.
Speaker 8: The National Guard has ongoing and long standing relationships with local, state, and federal agency partners and has assisted with national special security events like Election Day and Inauguration Day for many years.
Speaker 1: Some troops will be helping state governments with cybersecurity. Others are ready to help police and first responders in case of emergency. The city of Detroit is also increasing security. Elections Director Daniel Baxter says they've stepped up security since twenty twenty, when Trump supporters gathered outside Detroit's Convention Center where election workers were counting absentee ballots. We now have bulletproof glass on the front of our building. We have more cameras, we have a panic button, Baxter says. This year, police officers will be in and around the election building. He says they'll also be on the roof California's announced a lawsuit against nor Walk over the city's moratorium on building homeless shelters and supportive housing. Attorney General Ruld Rob Bontis's cities have a responsibility to help address the state's housing and homeless problems. But you can't ignore a law because it doesn't.
Speaker 2: Suit you, your plans, your ideas of what California should be.
Speaker 1: You must follow the law, all laws, all the time. Norwalk officials have said the moratorium until next summer is necessary because homeless and supportive housing programs have been a financial strain on the city. The state filed a lawsuit yesterday in La County Superior Court. A man from San Diego who molested a fourteen year old girl on a cross country flight has been sentenced to two years in prison. Ryan Coffee pleaded guilty to giving the girl alcohol and sexually assault her in January of twenty twenty three on a flight from Charlotte to San Diego. Video of a marine veteran choking a man on a subway train in New York City has been shown to a jury in the Vets manslaughter trial. ABC's Lindsay Tuckman says Jordan Neely's death by choke last year is controversial.
Speaker 12: And lawyers were both sides farred about whether or not Daniel Penny, the man who was on trial, was acting in an over the top way or in a courageous way.
Speaker 1: Prosecutors say Pennies chokehold was justified because Neely was an in unhinged threat to others. The defense argued in opening statements last week that the former marine stood up to protect thy neighbor. Hundreds of Dodgers fans showed up to Raisin Canes in Alhambra to be served by G. K. Hernandez. It's unreal.
Speaker 12: Fans waited for hours for the big leaguer to show up in the friar's cashier and drive up window. Hernandez is the second Dodger to work at the location this year. Mookie Betts took a shift in April. I've seen some of the footage and I know he had a lot of fun, so you know, I was really excited to be here. The first fan to be served yesterday says she arrived to the restaurant the night before. Another fan who was trying to give Hernandez a sketch she drew of his dogs drove up from oceanside in Alhambra Blake trolley.
Speaker 3: K if I knews.
Speaker 1: I love it. Election Day, as I mentioned, is finally arrived. Polls open in person voting is available starting at seven o'clock in California. It's gonna be open or polls will be open until eight tonight. About thirty percent of voters in California have already cast ballots early, either in person or by mail. Voters can drop off mail in ballots polling locations. When the polls close, workers are required by the Secretary of State's office to loudly announce the polls are closed. I think that's so fun. They also have to when they open. They have to announce it loudly before people can start casting their ballots the polls are open. Tropical Storm Raphael has formed in the Caribbean. It's expected to become the eleventh hurricane of this season as it makes its way toward southern US cities. The National Hurricane Center says the lower and Middle Florida Keys could experience tropical storm conditions beginning late tomorrow or tomorrow night. Three time cy Young Ward Award winning pitcher Clayton Kershaw has become a free agent after declining his ten million dollar option with the Dodgers, But that might just mean that he is signing a new deal. At the Dodgers World Series Championship celebration on Friday, Kershaw called himself a Dodger for a life. At six So five, tandele On the news podcast Sensation, Joe Rogan has endorsed Donald Trump for president. Let's say good morning now to ABC's Josh Margolin and Josh. With election day finally here, law enforcement is kicking into high gear. Election workers are looking over their shoulders.
Speaker 11: Why well, happy election Day. He has been years, the years of build up, and just as you talk about the anxiety and the anxiousness that's out there, there have been a lot of threats online. The FBI has now processed hundreds to thousands of threats. Most of them are garbage, not credible, not serious. There are over one hundred investigations into threats that look like they could be more serious, threats against election locations, election infrastructure, poll workers. So what people can expect to see when they get up and go vote in person today is they will see law enforcement. They'll see precautions being taken. They might see more lines because there might be you know, uniform deputies or police at locations monitoring, you know, just to make sure that people are safe and secure, that nobody wants to commit violence gets into a location. Definitely, around locations where they're going to be counting ballots, there will be more precautions, potentially road closures. We know that there's bulletproof glass. We know that the LA Sheriff is actually transporting ballots to be counted by secure Sheriff's helicopters. In some cases, people should know that these things are real, but that law enforcement is taking it seriously and people should go vote. It's going to be safe and people should be confident.
Speaker 1: Okay, Josh, you mentioned that hundreds or even thousands of threats have been made. Are people making these threats being caught or are they just like you said, a lot of them are garbage so they just kind of dismiss it. But are they actually making arrests of people that are making threats?
Speaker 11: Well, they have made arrest in their investigations. We know that over a week ago there were there was an actual act of violence where incendiary devices, fire bombs, were put into drop boxes in the northwestern Washington State and an Oregon, and those investigations are ongoing. We are understand that law enforcement has some good leads. A lot of times these online threats cannot be traced, but they do try to trace them, and so we have seen some arrest and there is deterrence. The problem for law enforcement is, like with anything else we talk about, there's so much stuff out there and it's almost impossible to get every single one. In the case of what's going on with our election. Also, some of these things are being pushed out by Russian, Iranian and Chinese intelligence agencies just designed to drive us crazy, right, so they could they could actually track these people, but what are they going to do? Go send the FBI into Beijing to arrest some guy at a computer terminal.
Speaker 1: It's not going to happen. Yeah, So what kinds of threats are coming from outside the country.
Speaker 11: Everything what's happening is it's it's it's interesting, you know, from an academic standpoint, but it's very very bad for us as Americans who have to live with this garbage. But the Chinese and the Iranians, they don't particularly care what messages they're sending out as long as there are messages of divisions, So they will push out messages on TikTok and on x Twitter and on Facebook and Instagram. On every side. Trump is great, Trump is bad, Trump's going to do this. Kamala is this kamma is that they don't care. In the case of the Russians, the intelligence agencies in Washington believe that the Russians very clearly would like Trump to win. But again, these foreign adversaries, they they feel that they've achieved their goal when they drive us insane.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and from the ones that are coming from outside the country, Like you said, they're not going to go in to arrest somebody sitting in a computer terminal in China. Have any of those threats turned out to be credible or they really are all just like what you're saying, they're just trying to sew discourse.
Speaker 11: No, no, really, these things are not credible. So these swatting incidents that we see, these bomb scares, the fear is with the election that these could these these online garbage threats, these hoaxes could turn out to be legitimately dangerous. You know, it doesn't take a lot of overthinking to get to the point of, you know, there's a hoax, there's a swatting call that's not real, but you send the police armed with heavy weapons to a location because they're responding to a hoax, and then all of a sudden you have people that are armed in a location, and then all of a sudden, you have we've seen this signals, so things get very very dangerous. That's actually why here at ABC we've actually covered the changing training of law enforcement, not just related to elections, but in relation to the bump scares and hoaxes and swatting hoaxes, where law enforcement is trying to slow down the clock and not send swat teams on to the teeth to every single call, because as soon as you put those heavy weapons out onto the street, things get much more dangerous.
Speaker 1: And become tense and things can escalate. You, okay, Josh, anything that you would recommend people should can do as they head to the polls today.
Speaker 11: The most important thing is to make sure you know where you're going because as a result of some of the security measures, some polling places have changed. You know, some schools no longer school districts no longer want to have polling at their schools for security reasons, so people need to check to make sure they're going to the right place. Most important, they need to leave extra time security measures like we see at airports, you know at Thanksgiving, security measures will oftentimes lead to delay. So you're not going to want to vote if you're going to see a line that's lasting for an hour. So choose a good time that's convenient for you. Be ready to wait, as they say with the with the holiday travel, pack your patients. And when you see armed deputies in uniform or police, don't be nervous, don't be put off. Don't say, oh my god, I don't want to bring my kid with me because there must have been a threat to the contrary. You should expect to see that, and you should then be satisfied the same way when you go to an airport and you on some level know that the TSA screening is keeping everybody safe. You know that when you see the LAPD or the sheriff out there at your polling place, that's keeping you and your family safe. So be chill, go vote, be confident, but remember they are going to they are likely going to be inconveniences. Also especially with traveling and parking. If you're near a place where they're counting ballots and your county buildings, that there are definitely going to be road closures over there. So just keep that in mind as well.
Speaker 1: Okay, and if you see those police officers, maybe say thank you because they're keeping our election process safe.
Speaker 3: You know what.
Speaker 11: And the poll workers too, because these people are just assaults of the earth, and a lot of them just don't get paid and they have been the targets of so many threats, and God bless them. They don't want they don't want to do anything other than just make sure everybody gets to vote.
Speaker 1: Yep, good reminder, Josh Margolin, thank you so much. We'll look forward to talking to you again.
Speaker 11: Have a great lection day, all right you too.
Speaker 1: Vice President Harris and former President Trump have wrapped up their campaign blitzes of key swing states. Between the two of them, they went to nine campaign rallies just yesterday. Trump's last event was in Michigan, his last stop on his twenty sixteen and twenty twenty campaigns. Harris ended in Philadelphia, flanked by Lady Gaga and Oprah. You can outrack your election ballot to the finish line in California. To track your ballot, you can go to California Dot Ballot Tracks, type in your information, choose the option for email, text, or phone calls, and then you'll get updates when your ballot is mailed, received, counted, or if there's any kind of issue. The City of California has filed a lawsuit against the City of Norwalk because the city's banned homeless shelters and temporary housing. They say it's stressing city resources. The state's lawsuit comes after warnings were issued to Norwalk over its policy. Last month, the state cut off funding to the city for housing and anti homelessness projects. We're just minutes away from Handle. On the news this morning, Boeing workers are going to start building planes again following a more than seven week long walkout. Let's say good morning right now to the host of How to Money on KFI. It's Joel lars Guard. Joel, it is election day, and so I wanted to ask you about that real quick. First, is the election going to have any effect on your four to h one k and should people do anything? Waited out? What's the feeling and the vibe there?
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, that's a really good question. And I think people are concerned right about what happens with this election and how that impacts their money. I mean, there's a lot of things on people's minds on election day today. But the truth is, when you zoom out and you look at the stock market, over the course of US history and over the course of Republican and Democrat administrations, the returns have been positive, essentially agnostic to who's in the office.
Speaker 11: Right.
Speaker 3: So I think for anybody out there who's saying, oh, if President Trump wins, oh if Kamala Harris becomes the next president, I don't know if I want to put as much into my four one K, I would say that's short sighted. And I think that there's no reason to change your investing strategy based on who's in office.
Speaker 1: Okay, So no knee jerking, deep breath, write it out, just like you always say with your zero one.
Speaker 3: K, right, right. That's the thing. Like, when I'm talking about investing, I'm thinking about decades in the future, and so for most people out there, unless you're let's say, nearing retirement age, and even if you are nearing retirement age, it doesn't mean you should make any sort of drastic change to your portfolio. But when we're talking when I'm talking to millennials, gen zers, people who are people that have ten, fifteen, twenty plus years before they retire, there's no point in changing anything based on what happens today or tomorrow. The truth is the American economy is incredibly resilient, and even if the person who you don't really love gets elected, and maybe they're going to implement some economic policies that you don't think are the best, American businesses tend to figure it out. I mean, think about what happened during the pandemic and how American businesses were incredibly resilient to figuring out how to be profitable even with work from home, even with supply chain issues. I would say, if they can deal with that, they can deal with either administration and whatever policies come down the pipe.
Speaker 1: Okay, we mentioned four one k is just a minute ago and there just wanted to touch on this. There was a small increase in the amount that you can contribute to your four one.
Speaker 3: Yes, there was so every year based on kind of inflation, the four one k or ira contribution amounts go up, you know, depending on and by how much it depends on kind of the rate of inflation. And so when it comes to your IRA contribution amount, that actually gets stuck at seven thousand dollars, it was seven thousand in twenty twenty four, it's gonna be seven in twenty twenty five. But when it comes to your four to one K contribution amount, because it's a higher amount you're able to actually that's going to increase. So that's going from twenty three thousand dollars a year that you can stick into your four O on K to twenty three thousand, five hundred. And I hope that there are people listening to this conversation Amy who are saying, oh, great, then I'm going to actually contribute more to my foural K. I didn't realize, and I'm planning on maxing it out. But the reality is that most people don't max out their foural one K contribution and it might not even be the smartest thing, depending on your income and depending all the things you have, you got going on blocking money away into a four one K is rate up until a point. And so I think for some people, maxing out of four one K is an incredible goal and they should strive for it, but it kind of depends on a bunch of nuanced factors.
Speaker 1: And not to feel bad, but I just read that only fourteen percent of people actually do max out those contributions.
Speaker 3: Right, And actually I'm shocked to think that it's fourteen percent. I mean, that's a lot of people to be maxing out at four one k, because again, that is such a substantial amount of money. I'm a fan of being able to get to that point over time. I just remember when I was like starting off as a young investor, hearing people say, oh, that's that's a good goal to have, and thinking how will I ever get there? That sounds impossible, right. That is so much money to be funneling into a retirement account that you're not going to be able to tap for many, many decades. I think it's a really really good goal to have, but I also think that life gets in the way, and there are other things that people want to spend money on in the here and now, and so be careful before you lock that money away for decades and decades to come. Yes, get the match, Yes, save even more than that. And when we're talking about putting twenty three thousand dollars away potentially a good goal to have over the long run, but also taking the consideration other financial goals too.
Speaker 1: Okay, and then we wanted to touch on this really quick because Costco has changed its policy and it is now seeing the Netflix effect.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's really interesting. Last couple times I went to Costco, I've seen this in person, and so basically, what they want you to do now is scan your membership as you're walking into the doors. Instead of just like, you know, flippantly showing it to the person as you walk in, now you actually have to scan something. And there's a screen on the other side of this scanner that the Costco employee is checking to say, wait a second, that does sound like Shila. It says Shila, and I'm seeing the person walking in, but it doesn't really match the picture that I'm seeing corresponding to this person, so it's yeah, you're right. It's a kind of a Netflix esque attempt to crack down on people borrowing each other's memberships and going to Costco as though you were your neighbor or something like that. What they want you to do is sign up for your own Costco membership, which makes total sense, Like I've got no problem with Costco immitting a couple of security measures to make sure. I mean, I think it started with at the self checkout. They started checking people's IDs there to make sure they were the person they said they were, so they're not using somebody else's membership. And the reality is Costco membership is pretty inexpensive compared to what you get. I think for a lot of families. It's not for everyone, but it can make a whole lot of sense, Like I get more value out of my Costco membership than the membership fee by a mile.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, absolutely so. And it's we know the handle gets a lot out of his Costco membership. Do we know what the fees are? I need to go change mind? I think I have the executive membership. I don't need that anymore.
Speaker 11: Yeah.
Speaker 3: No, So Costco just raised membership fees, but they didn't raise them as much as I thought. And so now it's I believe sixty five dollars for the regular membership, and it's one hundred and thirty dollars for the executive membership. It used to be sixty and one twenty and they hadn't raised it in seven years before that. So Costco has been pretty cognizant and pretty customer friendly when it comes to the membership piece they're charging. I'm pretty sure they could have raised the membership piece even more and still seeing people not leave or anything like that, but or at least you a very very very small percentage of people say sorry, you just priced me out, but yeah, the Costco membership is still represents a pretty reasonable value.
Speaker 1: Perfect, Joel. Thank you for the great information as always, and for more great advice and information about how to money. You can listen to how to Money right here on KFI. It's Sundays from twelve to noon. They'll get you making money, saving money, keeping money, not losing money. I need to listen to your advice you give more.
Speaker 3: Thanks for having me Amy, always fun to be with you, all right.
Speaker 1: Thank you so much, Joel, appreciate it, and we'll talk to you soon.
Speaker 3: Sounds good.
Speaker 1: Joel really does give great advice, and I really do need to, Like I take notes sometimes when we're talking and go, oh, I need to follow up on that. I need to follow up on that. The one I need to follow up on right now is going and looking at my my four to one k contributions because I know I tweak it every once in a while. I think I need to up it. Good investment in my future. This is k FI and KOST HD two Los Angeles, Orange County, Southland weather from KFI, sunny with highs in the low to mid seventies at the beaches and Anelote Valley seventies to about eighty for Metro La Inland o c the Valleys and Inland Empire Clears Guys with lows in the forties and fifties Tonight, Sonny and Wendy Tomorrow with another round of Santa Anna's blowing through. I will be in the sixties to mid seventies both Tomorrow and Wednesday. Sunny with highs in the sixties and seventies. Friday, few more clouds for the weekend. I's still hanging right there in the sixties and seventies. It's fifty four in Long Beach, fifty five in Dana Point fifty three and Whittier, fifty four in Hasei and the Heights. We lead local live from the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. I'm Amy King. This has been your wake up call, and if you missed any of wake Up Call. You can listen anytime on the iHeartRadio app. You've been listening to Wake Up Call with me Amy King. You can always hear Wake Up Call five to six am Monday through Friday on KFI Am six forty and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio app