Speaker 1: Welcome to the Trauma Therapists Podcast. My name is Gamiferson. I interview incredible people who've dedicated their lives to helping those who've been impacted by trauma. A big thank you to our sponsors and our guests who are supporting this show. So hi for me two and one, our folks, welcome back to the podcast. Super excited to have as my guest today, Doctor Stephanie Sachs. Stephanie, welcome, Thank.
Speaker 2: You so much. I'm really excited to be here.
Speaker 1: Appreciate it. Stephanie is a licensed clinical psychologist, a CPT trainer, and co founder of Mind Science Collective, a continuing education platform delivering practical, evidence based training for therapists in private practice. She specializes in cognitive behavioral treatments for PTSD and trauma related disorders and serves as a national trainer and consultant for organizations including the National Center for PTSD, Strong Star, and coen Veterans Network. She's also an adjunct professor and published author in the field of trauma Artephanie, Obviously, just a little bit about you before we get going. Share with the listeners where you're from originally and where you are currently sure.
Speaker 3: So where I am from? Originally, I am from Santo Domingo in the Dominican Republic. That's where I was born. And where I am currently. I am in South Florida. I'm about an hour north of Miami Foca Ratonde.
Speaker 1: So let's start out, how the heck did you get into this field?
Speaker 2: Great question, I think.
Speaker 3: To properly answer that question, I would have to go back.
Speaker 2: To early ages. Really long.
Speaker 1: We want to go back, Okay, we'll go back.
Speaker 3: So my first memories that I have as a kid, probably five six seven, that I link back to my career is having these memories of just being kind of obsessed with watching people and looking at their facial express I'm in a great way, yes, exactly. I was fascinated by feelings. I was fascinated by relationships. I was fascinated by kind of the interchange of energy between people when they engaged with each other and it felt safe and calm, or times it didn't. And so something that I think I was just born with is this essence of attentiveness towards human and also a deep sense of empathy and curiosity. And that's something that I've carried with me forever. I think that was really the genesis of all of this. And I also really loved school. I love learning. I'm obsessed with learning, and so I would be reading everything that I.
Speaker 2: Could get my hands on.
Speaker 3: You know, when I was an undergraduate, I was initially a pre med major, and I was deep in the throes of like the organic chemistries and all of that, and around the same I know.
Speaker 4: It's funny to think about now because my interests lies elsewhere so deeply, but back then I was, you know, really deep in the throes of the hard sciences.
Speaker 3: And simultaneously at the same time, I took an introduction to psychology class as an elective, and.
Speaker 2: I was like, well, that's interesting.
Speaker 3: I kind of had this vision for myself being a surgeon, and once I took that class, it sort of got the wheels churning about there being other ways to potentially heal people that did not involve a scapel. And from there, I took a personality course as another elective. Then I took an abnormal psychology class as another elective, and at that point, you know, I was really hooked and I switched over.
Speaker 1: You mentioned when you were younger, you had this fascination with watching people and observing people. What did that look like when you were a kid? Did it? Do you just remember yourself just being aware of people, or what.
Speaker 3: I remember being like at places of worship, for example, and seeing like an older couple, the way that they were interacting and having these moments of almost like decoding, you know, how they're dance their relational dance with each other, and being fascinated and being so curious about why it is that so many different people show up in this world in so many different ways. It's like I wanted to be able to kind of peel back the curtains and understand the why, and I could only see the what, you know, And perhaps that motivated some of my interests in being a surgeon, because I wanted to kind of go inside, if you will, but just being very observant and being very curious and being deeply, deeply empathic, which is a muscle that has some challenges and some real strengths. And I've learned a really hard that muscle more effectively at the stage in my life, but early on, just a deeply feeling kid.
Speaker 1: So you start to get the psychology bug, if you will. In what was that high school, you said, college, Okay, so how do things unfold for you?
Speaker 3: Yeah, So, once I took those few electives in psychology and I started to fall in love with it, I actually made the decision to I'd been doing like some nannying on the side for extra spending money or working at a restaurant, and I decided to seek out a job as a personal care assistant in a group home for women that were duly diagnosed. But the dual diagnoses are really interesting. On one hand, they had either neurodevelopmental disabilities or intellectual disabilities co occurring with serious mental illnesses like schizophrenia, spectrum disorders, and bipolar disorder.
Speaker 2: So this was wow.
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah, oh girl.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I was nineteen.
Speaker 3: I had no idea what I was getting myself into, and it was a transformative experience for me. I was working alongside these women and providing care for them that looked a lot of different ways, from helping make the meals, from having therapeutic conversations.
Speaker 2: You know, we had this.
Speaker 3: One resident who ran away from the house multiple times, and she, you know, really struggled a lot in relationships, and she had schizophrenia and had really active hallucinations and you know, I really got kind of thrown to the wolves in some ways. And while in some ways I would say I really didn't know what I was doing and didn't really have a grasp on how to be most effective there, I think I found my way pretty young in how to connect deeply with people who were really ill and who just wanted to be seen and who just wanted to be understood and listened to. And actually, you know, the one woman that I was just speaking about, she inspired my career greatly to the extent that then I ended up building in this expertise early in my career working with people with schizophrenia spectrum disorders, and working with folks with schizophrenia spectrum disorders is actually what clued me into working with trauma exposed populations, because folks with schizophrenia spectrum disorders have some of the highest prevalence rates of trauma exposure than any other clinical population, and that than healthy population, So they experienced traumas at a disproportionately high rate. And so that's when I opened the doors to well, you know, I really need to get some training in this. And then I saw training in that later in my career.
Speaker 1: So you said, something interesting. You said that experience at that group home was transformative and you kind of realized a way or a very signal way of connecting with people. Say more about that. How did you learn that?
Speaker 3: You know, I think I learned by trial and error, honestly, because it wasn't a setting where you have any kind of like real supervision and anything that was remotely clinical or about the millu. You had some training in supervision about how to functionally help run the home and help with the residents with specific care behaviors, but nothing that had to do really with their symptomatology or their challenges, or their larger values in life or their goals. And something that I just sort of tried different things at different times. Something that I came to learn is if I just went into the client's world, that that would be a powerful entry point in growing trust. And again I was nineteen at the time, but I remember, you know, with a couple of residents just setting up shop in the front yard and putting some chairs out and just having conversations with them where they were able to really share with me what their active hallucinations were like, what their childhoods were like, what they wanted in life, and it was.
Speaker 2: It was a beautiful experience. I loved it.
Speaker 1: That's amazing entering into the client's world. It's so interesting to hear you say that because I think a lot of clinicians, well you weren't a clinician at the time.
Speaker 2: I was a little baby, I was nineteen.
Speaker 1: A lot of clinicians, you know, going in there with their bag of techniques and interventions and juggling and trying to figure out And here you were doing what probably is the best thing in the world, which is and learning that from a very kind of early part in your career. It was crucial. That's amazing.
Speaker 3: I appreciate you pointing that out because I hadn't really thought about it in this way, and I think if I had been more advanced in my career, I may have gone in with that approach. It almost served as a protective function for me to develop this other muscle and this other way to actually not know those things.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and it's kind of not I think it's natural too. You know, you're in school, you're studying, you're learning all these great things. You've got a bag of interventions. Of course they're going to work.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's right, that's right, and I do think that was the beginning of me fostering a quality that has persisted in everything that I've done in my career since, whether it's been more clinical, more training, more entrepreneurial. Is humility, A lot of humility. There's a lot that I don't know. I don't want to come in with all of these assumptions based on what someone's chart looks like or what.
Speaker 2: Any other you know.
Speaker 3: I want to come in as a clean slate, getting to know the soul that they are primarily, and then we go from there.
Speaker 1: There you go, there you go. All right, So let's kind of jump before we do that. Just remind everyone. I'm speaking with doctor Stephanie Sachs. You said you had that experience working with individuals who were experiencing schizophrenia or at schizophrenia're diagnosed, and there was a through line a connection to trauma. Talk to us about when that got on your radar. What was that like for you learning about that?
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, it was really unexpected. Honestly, I was early at this point, I was in graduate school. I'd chosen to attend a graduate school where my research mentor in clinical psychology had expertise with folks with schizophrenia spectrum disorders, and so I was really doing a deep dive. I did a lot of clinical placements with folks with serious mental illness, a lot of in patient psychiatric hospitals, acute, long term va all kinds of different settings. And it became very clear to me roughly in my my second year of graduate school that a common denominator for these folks was a preponderance of traumatic experiences in childhood and in adulthood. And certainly there are certain kind of psychosocial factors in folks with schizophrenia spectrum disorders that lend themselves to an increased risk for future traumatization. For example, having housing instability is a great example of that. You may be more prone to a additional traumatization. But a lot of these folks had childhood physical abuse, child had sexual abuse, really chronic abuse, and then you know, it was sort of the diathesis stress model. They may have had that biological predisposition for future development of psychosis, but those traumatic events.
Speaker 2: Served as the spark.
Speaker 3: And as I saw that more and more, I as I was beginning to learn skills to work with that population, I realized, you know what I really need to I really need to learn more.
Speaker 2: I need to learn more.
Speaker 3: And I ended up kind of straddling to labs and joining this additional lab as well that was focused on treating post traumatic stress disorder. And so I am so grateful that I had this opportunity to learn one of the gold standard treatments for PTSD, prolonged exposure therapy in graduate school and to actually start applying it and using it.
Speaker 2: And then this.
Speaker 3: Dual interest continued to grow passed graduate school into my predoctoral internship, which I chose to do at the Washington DC Veterans Affairs Hospital, where I worked with some folks with PTSD in the PTSD clinic, folks with SMI in a different clinic. And then I stayed there, and I did my postdoctoral fellowship focusing on trauma at the DCVA, and then actually stayed on as I became more and more skilled working with trauma exposure specifically PTSD. I worked in the Washington DCVA for a handful of years in the PTSD clinic after.
Speaker 1: That, So you had all this incredible experience, very intense experience. I mean, it's no joke working with trauma, working with people who've experienced varying types of trauma. What was that like for you? And just to take a side step here, had you ever experienced any trauma yourself?
Speaker 3: Well, you know, I think yes, I would say certainly to the extent that even depends how we define trauma, which we'll talk about in just a little bit, but a culturative stress from immigrating from the Dominican Republic to a really small town in North Carolina in the late eighties where there were no Hispanic people there.
Speaker 2: That's pretty stressful.
Speaker 1: And let me just interrupt you. I didn't want that to come across. As I was trying to qualify you more, I was wondering, given your background, how did that impact, you know, having any kind of a background, what was it like for you to experience working with these individuals.
Speaker 3: There were a few different reactions as my career expanded, so initially, honestly, I felt a bit intimidated. You know, the populations I've worked with, I remember having this experience even in graduate school. I was working with people with schizophrenia spectrum disorders doing therapy my first year.
Speaker 2: Of graduate school.
Speaker 3: That's a pretty severe population to be working with when you're just getting your clinical chops, you're just figuring out what's up and down. And then similarly, you know, not only did I work with trauma exposed populations, but then I worked in a Veterans Affairs Hospital PTSD clinic, which what you're really getting there. These aren't single incident traumas or just adulthood traumas that you're dealing with. This is folks that typically have a whole lot of childhood abuse, and then they go to the military and have another whole lot of traumatic events, whether in combat or military sexual trauma. They have tons of comorbidity psychologically and medically. So I would say there were definitely times when I felt out of my depth, and also I'm okay with that for the most part, because I think I had my finger accurately on the pulse of what lane I was in a different stages in my career. For example, when I was a postdoctoral fellow, I wasn't thinking of myself as a seasoned clinician thirty years later. You know, when I was an undergrad, I wasn't thinking of myself as a graduate student. I tried to stay really anchored and present and to seek a lot of support and supervision and training so that I could become more comfortable and more competent. But I would also say that a quality that I have that has been quite helpful professionally and personally is I have a pretty solid ability to tolerate discomfort and uncertainty, and that allowed me to work with those populations where I did initially feel intimidated. At the same time, I also felt pretty honored. Quite frankly, I love working with folks, particularly with PTSD that's pretty severe. That's my favorite, because they are the epitome of the strength of the human spirit. They are the epitome of resilience, they are the epitome of willful in demanding that they get their lives back, and that's contagious.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 3: It allows me to challenge myself in my personal life, to walk a life that's really honest, a walk of life that is facing fears of my own.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you struck me, as I mean, you're such a good speaker, and you're so articulate, and you're able to articulate your own experience so well, it's very inspiring.
Speaker 2: Thank you. I appreciate that.
Speaker 1: So let's talk about what you're doing now mindset collective? What is it?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 3: So I have also fallen in love with being an entrepreneur, first with my private practice that I started about eight years ago, with a lot of teaching and training that I do, and I'll guess I'll tell you kind of the story of how we started and where we are. So what we're doing is we are a really engaging, modern continuing education platform for mental health providers. And what we know about continuing education is it's really hit or miss. Sometimes continuing education courses are kind of lackluster, they're pretty rudimentary, or they might not really speak to the kinds of clinical issues that we're facing as clinicians. It might be a bit out of touch. Sometimes we approach continuing at is just a thing we need to check off the list to be able to renew our licenses. And so there's really been this gap that we are filling that involves providing the kinds of training and opportunities for learning that clinicians can get really excited about. Our courses are media or courses are at all evidence based. They are taught by trainers and clinicians who are in the trenches doing the clinical work. Who are experts, who are engaging, who are lively, and it kind of feels like you're meeting with your favorite supervisor and having coffee over what's going on clinically. And we have the kinds of courses that allow clinicians to just take what they learn pretty much right away and in part that practice or that skill or modality in therapy with our clients that very same week. And so it's highly applicable as well, and it's all on a really beautiful platform. So we're really really proud of what we've created. And the genesis of Mind Science Collective was, you know, I've been doing training for a number of years, dating back probably to twenty thirty team or so, and have done continuing education courses for other organizations. There used to be so a lot of listeners might know simple Practice. So simple practice is an electronic medical record system. They used to have a continuing Education arm where they started to do some continuing ED courses and they were awesome.
Speaker 2: They were really.
Speaker 3: Really engaging, they were compelling, they were solid empirically. Unfortunately they ceased to be and so myself and other folks that were doing continuing ED courses for them, we felt really bummed out and found that there was this gap, and so myself and four other co founders that had been teaching for them came together first had some phone calls and did some zoom calls, did some brainstorming, and then launched this project of Love that is really for clinicians who are eager to learn for the rest of their careers.
Speaker 1: So when you say it's for mental health clinicians or therapists or providers, what is who?
Speaker 2: Yep.
Speaker 3: So you know, we're working on actually expanding our accreditation because we just launched in January, but right now we're accredited by the American Psychological Association, and so in different states that might mean that not just doctoral level psychologists are able to obtain continuing education, but also a lot of master's level clinicians, so marriage and family therapists, social workers, et cetera. And again, we're expanding our accreditation because ultimately we want to be able to provide any therapist, anyone who you know has that term therapist depending on different degrees, because there are so many different degrees, we can have the ability to get continuing education for the courses that we have. We really want to have a wide reach.
Speaker 1: So if you can pick out a particular course, go into it a little more detail. Why I mean you said they're meteor they're more engaging. Tell us why.
Speaker 2: Sure take a course? It's so hard. There's so many good ones.
Speaker 3: So one, there's two that come to mind, I might have to share too, But one that comes to mind that I'll go with initially. It is it's called essential Relational micro Skills when working with trauma exposed individuals.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 3: Title, I love it so much, and it's something that I've been really attending to, obviously clinically for a long time. I've become very knowledgeable about the research about all of this. Essentially what that course is about and who it's for. It's for clinicians that want to provide really effective treatments for clients that have trauma exposure and any kind of clinical sequala. So it can be PTSD, but it can be other kinds of difficulties that can follow traumatic events, and who are so committed to providing the most effective therapies that they really want to stay within a particular framework or protocol, but they also don't want to lose out on the strength and the necessity for having an extremely strong clinical relationship with your clients. And so in essence, what this course provides is a vehicle to be able to stay really faithful to whatever is the specific protocol you're using, but have this discerning eye every moment of every session for all of the different opportunities and entry points to how we can strengthen the clinical relationship, To how we can catch therapeutic ruptures before they start or after they start and actually repair them effectively. For how to work in dieads where yourself and your client have some differences in ethnicity and culture, especially when folks have experienced race based traumas, that can be a predictor of clients dropping out of treatment. So how do we not do that? How do we really engage and really connect all while staying faithful to the most effective therapies, meaning that we don't have to do just one or the other, that we can actually do both.
Speaker 1: Give us that sounds amazing. Give us an example of what it might look like when a therapist loses sight of that. Oh, because it's classic.
Speaker 3: It is, it is, And you know, I'll give the example of working. Let's say that we're working with a client who has significant interpersonal traumatization. So the traumatic experiences let's say involved sexual assault that was perpetrated by another person. By nature of the traumatic event that this person experienced, their relational bonds with others, including us, are going to be disrupted in some ways. They are going to likely struggle with specific themes that also impact the clinical relationships. So their beliefs about trust might be disrupted, their beliefs about power sharing and relationships might be disrupted, their beliefs around esteem of themselves and other people might be disrupted. And so a way that this could show up where a therapist, let's say, lose a sight of the importance of weaving strengthening the clinical relationship into every interaction is it's something that I actually see a lot as a cpt for PTSD, trainer and consultant, because I do consultation with hundreds and hundreds of clinicians. And that would be okay. Let's say I'm implementing this very specific protocol called cognitive processing therapy, which is one of the gold standard treatments for PTSD.
Speaker 2: It works very very well.
Speaker 3: I'm implementing that therapy, but I'm following the protocol in such a way that I almost have blinders on, meaning right, it's almost like I can only do the thing that's on the sheet, and I'm not actually picking my head up and feeling what's happening between us, or assessing how the client is experiencing me in session, or assessing how the client feels about the fact that I might be challenging them in some ways in session. I'm not inquiring about any of this, and I'm literally going, Okay, step one, I do this. It's sort of a robotic implementation that's well intentioned.
Speaker 1: Right, Yeah, it makes too much sense. I just quickly when I Yeah, I had been working in a clinic. We were working with young kids who were showing early signs of psychosis, so we had to administer this protocol. This called the Structured Interview for Psychosis Risk Syndromes otherwise not as YIPS. It's like forty five pages yep. And you're sitting there. I had a colleague, and you're doing exactly that thing, and you're going through this thing and you're asking these questions and it was very rote, and meanwhile you've got this fifteen sixteen year old kid in front of you, totally checked out.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I was like.
Speaker 1: What am I doing? This is crazy? And I just remember it one instance, just taking that SIPs, taking that packet and just putting it down on the table. Yeah, I just said, look, forget this. What is it that your parents in the waiting room, the other therapists that you've seen, what do they need to know? So just completely switched the whole thing. And Yeah, that was really important for me and significant. And that's an incredible course. How did you come up with that course?
Speaker 2: How did I come up with that course?
Speaker 3: It was inspired by, quite frankly, a lot of the clinicians that I've trained and provided consultation too over the years. So I was, as I said, a CPT trainer and consultant, first regionally within the VA, then nationally within the VA, and then after I left VA, I ended up taking that role with me and trained folks in community mental health, in private hospitals, public hospital at all kinds of different settings. And so I've worked with clinicians across the all over the world, working in tons of different settings.
Speaker 2: And what I have come.
Speaker 3: To experience having the privilege of working with this many clinicians and providing them this training and consultation is that they their hearts are in the right place. They just haven't been taught how right.
Speaker 2: They know what.
Speaker 3: They know that when they do the treatment in this way, it's missing something. But they also know that when they discard it and just focus on the relationship, it's it's necessary, but it's not sufficient. So it's really about it's almost like a gift to those clinicians and everyone else out there saying, here's how I know you want to do it. Here's actually moment by moment, whether it's initially at the intake, initially at the assessment, at the case conceptualization, beginnings and evolving when you are discussing informed consent, how to do that, when you are treatment planning with the client, when you're underway with the treatment, but maybe the urge to avoid is coming up when you're terminating or graduating therapy. It's really at every step along the way the how to do that. And again I think it really was primarily over the years motivated by clinicians that just are hungry. They want to learn more, they want to learn how, and these kinds of opportunities for learning just haven't existed.
Speaker 1: Yet, right right, So you're working with mind science and also in private practice. In private practice, you're doing consultation what else?
Speaker 3: Yeah, So I see a lot of patients. I love clinical work. So I see a lot of folks that have I would say probably a really solid mix of maybe half and halfish, I would say, where half of my clients meet criteria for post traumatic stress disorder from a wide range of different experiences, and then the other half is a conglomeration of either folks with OCD spectrum disorders, so I work a lot with that and some folks with anxiety disorders. And then I also work a lot with people that have a lot of different comorbidities and complexities. And so clinical work is my bread and butter. And then I do a lot of training and consultation for cognitive processing therapy and also for different organizations that have sought me out. So I've done trainings for all kinds of mental health startups, hospitals, etc. The National Center for PTSD has been really fun to work with, and from there, really the last couple of years, my entrepreneurial kind of juices have been flowing even more, right, especially since we found that there was this gap in training, and so a lot of my time Now is also devoted to growing Mind Science Collective with other great trainers that provide courses on a whole range of different topics and experts, tease areas, so clinical work. I also am an adjut professor, so I do some teaching and some training.
Speaker 2: I know what is time at night?
Speaker 1: Yeah right?
Speaker 2: Yeah, but I.
Speaker 3: Thank you, No, I just I actually I really love my work. I feel really energized by it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's it's clear, all right, Stephanie. How do people learn more about you what you're doing? What's the best way?
Speaker 3: Yeah, so people can check out our website Mindscience Collective dot com. Check out our courses there, browse them, check one out, and then if you're more interested in me, you can look at CBT Palmbeach dot com. That's my private practice website for specific training, consultation, above and beyond mind science.
Speaker 1: Okay, we'll have each of those linked up here at the showness page at the Trauma Therapist Podcast dot com. Stfney here. Appreciate you, Thank you.
Speaker 2: So much, Thank you.
Speaker 1: This is great, all right, take care