Speaker 1: Do you know what real power is? It's knowing you're on the same rate for energy all day, every day with a smart all Day plan from board Gosh Energy, save up to eight hundred and eighty euro on dual fuel plus get a two hundred and thirty five You're a welcome bonus switch today at Boardgosh Energy dot ie board Gosh Energy. Know your power.
Speaker 2: Estimating ANUEL bill at twenty six hundred and twenty nine your new customers only thirsh of percentis kentof Smart all day electricity unit rates in twenty nine percent of gas us See porcosh Energy dot E for fulties and cs.
Speaker 3: Oh hello it's that frog singing on your porch, Ali Ward and welcome Desmologies. Here's the deal. Smologies are small. There's shortened versions of our full length episodes. We chop them all up, we make them fit for your smologites so they are all ages and classroom friendly. We've cut out all my swear words kid friendly. So this is an episode from twenty nineteen with some supplemental updates from literally today. But if you're not around kids, if you are a full blown adult and you can handle some swear words, and you have some time hit the full length original version in the show notes, because who it's worth it. It's such a good episode. But this is a smologies version. It's rated G for general audience, and it's really good and it's shorter. So this episode was recorded in beautiful Hawaii. Her ever heard of it? A few weeks ago? You're about to just get an ear full of coral. Now all I want to do is stare at videos of coral. Honestly, I used to just consider them to be like the really plucky, kind of quirky settings of a snorkeling joant, kind of like a like a splashy backdrop in it community theater play, Like, oh that's nice, but you know what's happening in front of them? What kind of fish do we have? O contrare? After this episode you'll be like, move out of the way, fish. I'm staring at a polyp and yeah, it's totally fun. If you don't know what a polyp is, we will get to that, Okay. Nidariology totally a word. It's a well documented, legit term. It's a study of animals. There are over ten thousand species who have nitosites, which are these specialized cells for catching prey?
Speaker 4: And where does this.
Speaker 3: Lovely, silent, consonant, weird word come from. It looks like when your mom tries to weasel a fake term into a words with friends play and you're like, no way, Nancy, that's not enough vowels. But it comes from the old Latin need day, which means a nettle, and it might also have ties to old Latvian and Lithuanian words meaning to itch and to tickle. So corals are Nigerians. They're underwater animals that poses these kind of beautiful plant looking things from Mars, and they want to just tickle you to death. I'm already sold. I already love them. But let's hear more. This ologists got his bachelor's at UC Santa Cruz, double majoring in environmental studies and feminist studies, got his Masters in Biology and ecology evolution and conservation biology in San Francisco, and is working toward his PhD right now at this Famed Gates Lab at the University of Hawaii, Manoa and the Hawaiian Institute of Marine Biology. Just a little update. On July sixteenth, twenty twenty one, this PhD candidate became a doctor, successfully defending his PhD via the Gates lab. The gate flab is a coral lab. This dude has his hands full the coral. We're in the middle of a spawning event. That very weak, but he is amazing and took an hour out of his day to come to my hotel and chat about quarrels. We talked about what coral even is, why they're important, what a dead reef looks like, what's up with sunscreens, what is bleaching? And what else can we do to help our hard, squishy pals beneath the sea, So anchor down. Get ready for a wave of coral info with the amazing nidariologist, doctor Shale Matsudas algy pology.
Speaker 4: Algy And you are a nidariologist.
Speaker 5: Right, sure? I was thinking about that. Are coralologists? Maybe?
Speaker 4: Coral? I mean, is our corals, nidaria.
Speaker 5: Narians, the file them they're part of. And what unites all of those animals is their stinging cells, their nitocytes.
Speaker 4: Oh that's the common thread red.
Speaker 5: Yeah, So like anemonees or jellyfish and corals, I'll produce these little stinging cells of the use in defense or prey capture.
Speaker 3: I've already learned so much about corals. I didn't know that they got little stinkies. And so what exactly is a coral?
Speaker 5: That's a great question that we think about all the time. Actually, So corals are animals first and foremost, But the corals, when you think of a coral reef, corals, they're much more than like the sum of their parts. So the coral animal looks white. They have clear tissues, and they secrete white calcium carbonate skeleton. But the reason that when you're snorkling around a coral reef, they don't appear white to us is because they have a symbiotic algae which live inside their tissues that provide up to like ninety five percent of their daily nutritional needs. And the algae is color themselves are what we're looking at when we see corals.
Speaker 4: Oh my god.
Speaker 5: And just like you and me, corals also have a microbiome. They have bacteria that live inside of their tissues that also play a lot of really important roles.
Speaker 4: Now, what is with them being.
Speaker 3: A skin bag?
Speaker 5: This is like the hardest question I know. It's like, oh, man, Like, we have a term for this. It's called the coral holobiont, and that is like the coral animal itself. It's symbiotic algae, it's bacteria, they're fungi, they're a kia. There are a lot of different obligate symbionts that these corals have that are critical for their life and function.
Speaker 3: So it's kind of like a skeleton, a soupy mix of goodness, and then like a little transparent skin over.
Speaker 5: It, and then trans parent skin is the animal itself.
Speaker 3: If you're like, what is an obligate symbiont? Those are giant words.
Speaker 4: I hear you.
Speaker 3: That's why I'm here. So it essentially means a friend that I could not live without. So all these critters that live in the coral's body are its best friends. They are obligate. That means they're super necessary symbionts. They live together.
Speaker 5: So let's recap So if just like trees that grow in the forest, if you count their rings, you go an idea of how old they are. Corals actually work the same way where they are constantly secreting this calcium carbonate skeleton and growing, and researchers will actually take a core of that skeleton and you can actually count the different layers and get an idea of the age of the corals and also what was going on on the planet at the time.
Speaker 3: Oh my gosh, if you're wondering, where are corals, I asked corals dot org and it said essentially around the equator plus where currents flow out of the tropics, like in Florida and southern Japan. It's a little bit warmer. They make up zero point two percent of the ocean floor, but they're home to this, in my mind, twenty five percent of marine life. What so, if sea animals were like the cool kids, the coral reefs would be like the mall if this were a movie from the eighties. When you're doing research, is it ever difficult for you to say, Okay, all right, chill, we're done, We're get out of the water.
Speaker 4: Are you like one word?
Speaker 5: Oh? Yeah, absolutely. So it's always still really nice to go out when you're not working and just really appreciate, you know, how lucky we are to be able to see these environments. You know, I've worked with researchers who you know, I'll go to a coral reef and I'll say, this is beautiful. Look at all the diversity here. And they'll be like, you should have seen it twenty years ago, because they're seeing these changes at such a rapid pace that we're witnessing them in our lifetimes. And that's that's new. Yeah, So we haven't really talked about like what coral bleaching is. So corals, you know, have these symbiotic algae that are oblget that means they're required for the corals to live. They provide to ninety five percent of their daily nutritional needs. And when the temperatures are good, everything is happy.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 5: The corals get what they need, the symbios get what they need. But when the water temperature rises it's just even slightly above that thermal maximum that the corals can handle, the corals are starting to stress out. I'm freaking out, and one of their stress responses is to expel. These algae are so kind of how we get sick. We'll get a fever, and that's good, it's helping. It's our body's way of helping protect us. But if that fever gets too high or it is not for too long, that can actually be detrimental to us. And the same thing's true with coral bleaching. So as the corals are purging out these algal symbionts. It's not just all at a time. You can watch a coral start to pale, losing its color, right because as somebian s leave, that white skeleton showing through. And then as that's happening, the longer goes on, the corals aren't getting the energy and they can begin to starve.
Speaker 3: Okay, so under temperature stressors, corals toss their internal friends and they bleach because they lose that color. So they're not dead, but they're certainly weaker and they're in danger. It is not cute. Shale says that some corals even need both bacteria and certain viruses present to survive these thermal events, so the symbiotic connections go deep. They get complicated things that a coral party just aren't the same without both bacteria and viruses.
Speaker 5: And what you'll see is if you should go out into the to a coral reef when this is happening, if you see these corals that are white, you're seeing that skeleton through the tissue, but the tissue still there. The corals are still alive. And if that stressor leaves, the corals have a chance to recover those symbio communities can proliferate again and the corals they'll repigment and be okay. But if that stressor goes on too long, the corals can die. And we've seen this happen on massive scales on a reef. And also some corals aren't bleaching some individuals, like in Kanye Bay during the twenty fourteen to twenty fifteen bleaching events that we had, there'd be two corals the exact same species, right next to each other, like touching on the reef, and one of them would be bleached and one of them would be visibly totally normal.
Speaker 3: And so when you're looking at st two different examples of coral next to each other, are those different individuals genetically or are those different groups of a bunch of individuals. When you're looking at a fan of coral? How many people are you looking at that are coral?
Speaker 5: Yeah, that's a good question. So a coral colony is a coral you can think of a coral of itself is a coral pollup?
Speaker 4: What is a pollup?
Speaker 3: Well, it's a squishy little bugger with a feathery head and it secretes calcium carbonate and it's base to anchor it on a surface, kind of like a cupholder filled with one of those gas station wind sock dancers, only made out of jello salad.
Speaker 5: So you look a little mouth kind of like if you took it on eminy. That's kind of structure mouth and middle tentacles on the outside. And as a coral grows, it buds off and creates a genetically identical polyp. And as those polyps continue to multiply and spread and grow, you've had a coral colony that is made up of polyps that are all one genetic individual.
Speaker 3: And now what about their stinkiness. They're little stinger stingers. How is that helping them survive or thwart predators? Or are their predators to coral other than just human?
Speaker 5: Yeah, they use their stinging cells a lot to in pray capture. So if you see, if you like, stare at a coral long enough under the scope, and you know, if your piece of plankton, you know, swims up, you'll you'll see it almost like kind of like a you know, venus slide trap. You'll see the plankton get stuck to the coral tentacoles, and then the coral tentacles will pull it into its mouth and suck it in and digest it. It's really neat to watch. So but those, you know, the stinging cells, like if you touch a coral, what you shouldn't do. It will try to sting YouTube But our skin is too thick. But you know other animals like you know to use man of war for example, Like there are stinging cells that can affect us too, but corals are pretty safe. Don't touch them.
Speaker 3: But morning bumber question, bumber question, And what do you think is the biggest coral bummer for the coral? Would it be a rise in temperature or ocean a cerentification pollution? Like is there what's their big? What's their big? Said Trombone.
Speaker 5: So corals are dealing with a lot of threats right now, the biggest one being the impacts of climate change, and we're seeing this on reefs today in the form of sea surface temperature warming and ocean certification. As you mentioned, why this is so bad is that we're seeing an increase, like even in our lifetimes of these massive coral bleaching events worldwide, and a coral bleaching event can can wipe out entire reef ecosystems in like one season, and we're seeing them not only you know, it's not just like a one off anymore. And here in Hawaii we've had we had the event in twenty fourteen again in twenty fifteen. The Great Barrier reef has also experienced these successive events. And so while you know, we're seeing corals that are able to survive one round of this warming and recover, it's like you keep on hitting them. What is that affecting? And you add things like the local stressors, like you know, overfishing or sedimentation and pollution runoff from a lot of the local environments that are there. Those are the kind of the the added pressures that that corals are facing. And it's if it is so good, like it is so good and so important to mitigate some of these local stressors, right, like you know, diverting pollution, sedimentation really important, Like a coral can't live if it's covered in sediment.
Speaker 3: So yes, get the stuff off the coral. But the biggest help that they need.
Speaker 5: The most important thing that we need to address if we want corals in the future is climate change.
Speaker 4: And why are coral reefs important.
Speaker 5: They're really important for a lot of different reasons. They're one of the most biodiverse ecosystems in the world. They're a bank for biodiversity, and within that, you know, the coral reefs themselves are the breeding grounds and homes for tons of marine life. You've got animals that will come in from like the deeper oceans to to breed. Fish is a really important food resource for a lot of coastal communities. It's their main source of protein, main source of putting for many people in the world. And the reef environment is where a lot of those larger game fish reproduce and come back to coral reefs and a lot of our coastal ecosystems are really important for mitigating coastal damage. They absorb a lot of that you know, wave action, that wave power that's coming in. We've all seen really awful things that have been happening a lot of our coastal communities around the world because of you know, flooding and coastline erosion and things like that. And especially like here in Hawaii, the coral reef ecosystems are incredibly important culturally and there's a lot of history, there's a lot of stories a lot of history wrapped up in these these ecosystems. You know, there's a lot of reasons to protect them.
Speaker 3: And also before Patreon questions, it's a big day for you because they started spawning last night.
Speaker 4: What yeah, they did? They would spawn spawn a palooza right now.
Speaker 5: It is. It is something really amazing about corals that there's not enough amazing stuff is coral spawning events. And so corals, right, you're a sedentary animal. You're not moving around to find your mates. How you're in the ocean, how are you going to reproduce, you know, besides fragmenting off? And so the way it works is it's a combination of cues. It's the moon cycle, it's the temperature. It's like the pressure in the environment that will all come together and cue the corals to release their gammetes into the water column. And for the coral species that we study, the rice coral On Tiper capitata out here in the lab, they spawn two to three months during the summer, on the night of the new moon and a few nights after and if you're lucky enough to be out in the bay, you kind of peer over at around eight forty five PM, and you'll start to see these little cream colored bundles slowly floating to the surface of the water with the size of a pinhead. And on a really big night like the entire surface will be just like covered in these little white dots. And you know, in the next day or so there'll be swimming coral larvy, these little adbd jellybeans, and then those larvy will then you know, swim around and look for some suitable substrate to metamorphose into the first polyp, which will hopefully grow into too many to form the next colony.
Speaker 3: Show Rotop blog post last June about corarelspawning, and in it he describes setting out on the night of the new moon with life jackets and a first aid kit and headlamps. They use red lights so they don't interfere with any lunar cues for the coral, and they have as many two and a half gallon buckets as we'll fit on the floor of a small whaler boat. And he says in it, our tools are not glamorous, but they get the job done. And there are photos of these milky trails of coral bundles popping to release eggs into the water. And a glimpse of what field research looks like. So for more of that, I'm going to link the post in the show notes and on my website. Now we're about to ask your patroon questions, but before we do, a few words from sponsor of the show. These sponsors make it possible for ologies to donate to a charity of each ologists choosing, and this week Shale pick two. The first one is pepe Ohaye. It's a private, nonprofit organization caring for an ancient Hawaiian fishpond located on Awahu and its vision is to perpetuate a foundation of cultural sustainability and to provide intellectual and physical and spiritual sustenance for their community. And a second donation went to Point Foundation and Pointfoundation dot org is the nation's largest scholarship granting organization for LGBTQ plus students of Merit and Point promotes changed through scholarship funding, mentorship, leadership development, and community service training. And links to both those charities and to our sponsors who make that possible will be in the show notes. Okay, some things I'm liking this week. Okay, your questions now, first question we got from Laura Crippen's and a bunch of other folks asked how harmful is sunscreen to coral This is a big question.
Speaker 4: It's a tough question.
Speaker 5: It's a tough question. So, like people have definitely, you know, seen movements in different coastal communities to ban on safe sunscreen, and like this is a field of research that is beginning to grow. It's a new thing that we're seeing, and it's like really important to consider these kind of like stressors and these daily things that we're doing that may or not be harmful to reefs. Right, Considering what sunscreen you use, just like considering any type of chemicals that you're inducing introducing to a natural environment is a really important thing. However, where you know, a lot of what what we are concerned about is that you know, in the grand scheme of the impacts facing corals, it is a very small drop in the bucket compared to climate change. The danger is when that's where we stop, right, Like, you know, considering your sunscreen choice is a really great point of departure. But if that's the stopping point, that's a really dangerous thing because you know, just changing your sunscreen is not going to slow down our loss.
Speaker 3: Of reefs, right, so don't just change for a mineral sunscreen and be like nailed it.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 3: So this next question was also asked by listener Grace and Allegro Violetta. Benisman wants to know what role does concrete truly play in the health of our coral?
Speaker 4: And I know nothing about.
Speaker 5: This concrete composition and we'll look this up. Is it has a lot of same attributes as like custom carbonate coral skeletons. It's a really great substrate because it's as kind of chorous, so a lot of times you'll see, like I think it is in Mexico where they have that underwater sculpture installation made a concrete that different corals and sponges and whatnot are all recruiting to, so it can actually act as a pretty good substrate. It's a really great substrate for artificial reefs.
Speaker 3: So he's talking about an underwater museum in Cancun, Mexico. It consists of nearly five hundred sunken sculptures and they serve as a base for new coral. Why did they make this, you ask, because too many tourists were snorkeling in the natural local reefs and destroying them. So they were like, hey, hey, look over here, look over here, look at these look at these sculptures. And it worked. So people go there now and coral can grow on it ding perfect. What's your favorite part about your job or about corals?
Speaker 5: Oh, man, we do a whole podcast on that. My favorite part of my job is I'm getting I'm anstering it into part, which I know you're supposed to do.
Speaker 4: No, it's member reports you want.
Speaker 5: It's it's like it's the daily life in the people I work with for sure, Like in the community, when you're working on issues that's this important, people are really passionate and really excited. And because we're trying to solve something on a really quickly, it's a very creative place to be. And then also I take a boat to work every day. I can just like walk into the water and see the reef and wow, that's amazing for research and asking questions. It's also just it's a luxury. Feels so lucky to be able to be in a place where my study environment is right here and I can appreciate the just the beauty of the reef on a everyday basis.
Speaker 3: You're doing such great work. I'm so excited that I got to talk to you. Thank you for taking us. It's the lever of your time. I know that it's a busy day for Coral. Are you going back out tonight? I am yeah, definitely excited, very excited. If you can, please vote, just let's try to turn this vote around. Also, for more about Shale, you can follow him at Wrong Underscore Whale on Twitter that will be linked in the show notes, where at Ologies on Twitter and Instagram. I'm at ali Ward with one L on both. We love to keep these Homologies episodes pretty small, so the full list of credits are in the show notes. But thank you especially to Mercedes Maitland, Jarreed Sleeper, and Zeke Rodriguez Thomas of mind Jam Media for all the edits on this. A ton more Smologies episodes can be downloaded for free at aliwar dot com slash Smologies. That link is in the show notes for you. And if you stick around to the end, I give you a piece of life. And this week it's that if you like hard boiled eggs, try putting homice on them. It's so good. This might even make you like hard boiled eggs. If you don't. And another favorite hard boiled egg topper secret of mine is called fair Coocki and it's Japanese seasoning kind of goes it's shaky shaky, shaky on and it has sesame seeds and yes it has seaweed and a little salt, little sugar. Oh makes everything you put it on tastes like a sushi roll. It's so good. So these tips, I know they're excellent.
Speaker 2: Okay for bismologites, get value you can't argue with at Tesco with their amazing club card prices. Have the perfect night in with their finest frozen pizza meal deal. Get the finest frozen pizza, chips and ice cream all for six euo like our delicious spicy Salami, hot honey and do yet or Margarito wood fired pizzas, served up with their crispy chunkie chips and ice cream like sea salted caramel or pistachio for dessert. Can't argue with that shop in store or online. Tesco Every little helps available in most stories. Prices vary in express