Speaker 1: Picture this. You know, the year is sixteen eleven.
Speaker 2: Okay, setting the scene right.
Speaker 1: You are a senior librarian working under Pope Paul the Fifth, and you have just been handed what might actually be the single most daunting administrative task in the history of the Western world.
Speaker 2: Oh.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, You are implementing a comprehensive top to bottom catalog reform in the Vatican Library. And you have to realize, for you listening, this is not like organizing a local university's special collections, you know.
Speaker 2: Not at all. I mean, the sheer scale of what we were talking about in sixteen eleven is just mind.
Speaker 1: Bending, it really is. You are standing in the middle of holdings that span the entirety of the ancient world. You're dealing with papyrus scrolls from Egypt, right.
Speaker 2: And kudises from the Byzantine Empire, astronomical tables from the Islamic Golden Age, yeah.
Speaker 1: And theological texts from traditions that pre date Christianity entirely. There are histories in a dozen different languages, some of which maybe only three people on Earth can even still read.
Speaker 2: And your job is to assign every single room, every shelf, every display case a standardized reference number. The goal is absolute mathematical.
Speaker 1: Precision, which sounds like a nightmare.
Speaker 2: Honestly, oh, a total nightmare. You are creating a system so robust that any item can be located, retrieved, and returned without any ambiguity whatsoever.
Speaker 1: Right, So you work systematically, You count, you measure, you number each room. But then, right at the very end of your survey, deep in the oldest section of the archives, you encounter a room that completely defies the logic of your new catalog.
Speaker 2: Because it appears to contain absolutely.
Speaker 1: Nothing exactly small shelves, totally empty, the stone floor is swept completely clean, but the air inside it just stops you in your tracks.
Speaker 2: You actually make a specific note in your official memo to the Pope's Prefect about it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you write that the air in this room is quote slightly different from the adjacent corridors.
Speaker 2: It's cooler, stiller like, it has a quality that you, a master of languages and ancient texts, simply do not have a technical word for.
Speaker 1: Right. And because your catalog and convention begins at room one, in this space SIT's completely outside the logic of your meticulously planned system, you designate it room zero. You write down empty storage, you lock the heavy wooden door, and you move on.
Speaker 2: And if the story ended right there in sixteen eleven, it would just be a quirky, you know, slightly atmospheric footnote in an old Renaissance ledger.
Speaker 1: But it doesn't end there, No, it doesn't.
Speaker 2: That exact catalog entry Room zero, empty Storage reappears in every single annual Vatican Library Catalog update from sixteen to eleven, all the way to the present day.
Speaker 1: Welcome to thrilling Threads. I am so incredibly fired up about today's exploration because we are unpacking a staggering stack of historical sources.
Speaker 2: We really are. We've got internal memos, unmailed letters from Monsignior's, diaries of archivists, structural engineering surveys, and even declassified diplomatic records.
Speaker 1: It's massive. And our mission today, you guys, is to look closely at ten high classified, physically sealed spaces within the walls of the Vatican.
Speaker 2: But we do need to establish some ground rules for how we are looking at this material, because when you talk about secret rooms in the Vatican, it's very easy to veer into Internet conspiracy theories or sensationalism. Oh for sure, and we are not doing that. This is a profound, strictly documented look into the architecture of institutional secrecy. It's about what happens when the most meticulously documented institution in human history, an institution that literally keeps expense receipts from the Renaissance, encounters anomalies.
Speaker 1: Anomalies that completely shatter our understanding of physics, biology, and history, right.
Speaker 2: And their response isn't to study it publicly. Their response is to lock the door, lose the key, or in some of the cases we're going to discuss today, literally pour industrial concrete over it.
Speaker 1: I also want to mention right up front for you listening that our sources today we'll touch on some highly sensitive historical periods. Eat Sample will be discussing materials acquired during Mussolini's Ethiopian campaign, which.
Speaker 2: Is obviously a very dark period.
Speaker 1: Exactly, we want to state explicitly that our role here is simply to relay the historical record impartially. We are examining the source material exactly as it exists in the archives, without taking political sides, inserting modern ethical debates, or endorsing the actions of the eras we're discussing.
Speaker 2: Right, We are here for the data, the anomalies, and the history. We are acting as historical detectives, reading the bureaucratic footprints left behind by people who were frankly terrified of what they found.
Speaker 1: So let's jump right back into room zero in the Vatican Apostolic Library. We are starting our exploration today by looking at spaces where the fundamental laws of physics, things like thermodynamics, light and gravity, seem to just well break.
Speaker 2: They just stop working.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I need to wrap my head around this four hundred and fourteen year surveillance of an empty room, because I mean, if I have an empty closet in my house, I'm not checking at every discement to make sure the emptiness hasn't done something weird.
Speaker 2: You've hit on the exact anomaly in the bureaucratic language there. An empty room does not require annual confirmation of its emptiness.
Speaker 1: Especially not in a place like the Vatican.
Speaker 2: Exactly, especially not in an institution that measures space at an absolute premium. A room that is formally documented twelve months at a time for four hundred and fourteen consecutive years is not being passively recorded. It is being actively monitored. That annual notation is not an administrative habit. It is active surveillance written in the language of institutional record keeping. It means that something in Room zero requires.
Speaker 1: Checking on, like something about its status is not stable enough to be left completely alone. Precisely, okay, so clearly people on the inside. No, it's not just a dusty closet, because between nineteen hundred and twenty twenty three, there have been twenty three formal research access requests submitted to the Vatican Apostolic Library specifically for Room zero.
Speaker 2: And if you look at the disciplines of the people asking to get in, it makes zero sense none.
Speaker 1: We aren't just talking about Catholic theologians looking for lost Bibles. These are paleographers, archaeologists, material historians, a biologist, a theoretical physicist. And this is the one that really gets me, A specialist in Acadian writing systems.
Speaker 2: It's the lack of adjacency in those disciplines that should really raise the hairs on your arms. There is no obvious academic three line connecting an Acadian script specialist someone who studies the cuneiform languages of ancient Mesopotamia, to a modern theoretical physicist. No, not all they don't attend the same conferences, they don't read the same journals.
Speaker 1: Right, It's like pinging a disconnected computer server every day for four centuries just to make sure the ghost of the machine has it moved. If you have a physicist and a linguist both obsessed with the same quote unquote empty room, it means whatever is in there operates on a level that bridges ancient human history and fundamental physical laws.
Speaker 2: And all twenty three of those requests have been denied. The most recent one on record was actually in twenty nineteen.
Speaker 1: Oh wow, really recently.
Speaker 2: Yeah. It came from a Cambridge University researcher specializing in ancient script systems that pre date any known writing. The Vatican Library sent a very polite, standard bureaucratic reply, thanking her for her interest, but stating that Room zero was unavailable.
Speaker 1: Because the contents were under ongoing assessment.
Speaker 2: Four hundred and fourteen years of ongoing assessment.
Speaker 1: I love the absolute audacity of Vatican bureaucracy. Just incredible. But you know someone did get in. The system isn't perfect. One person is known to have access to Room zero outside of the formal request process, and his account is what blows this wide open.
Speaker 2: Ah, Brother Jakomoventi.
Speaker 1: Yes, in nineteen forty seven, this Vatican archivist named brother Jacka Moventi used a master key to enter the room. Now, just for context, nineteen forty seven is right after World War.
Speaker 2: Two, right, Rome is recovering, the Vatican is dealing with a massive influx of refugees and displaced archives.
Speaker 1: Exactly, and administrative security protocols are frankly a total mess.
Speaker 2: It's a windows of vulnerability in an otherwise impenetrable system, and Jacoaaventi takes full advantage of it. He goes in, and he is so deeply disturbed by what he finds that he tells a colleague about it the very next morning.
Speaker 1: I'm mon, signior turo Kletti.
Speaker 2: Yes, and Cletti was a meticulous diarist. He wrote the entire conversation down word for word. That diary actually sat in a private collection until it was digitized by a Roman historical society in twenty fourteen, which is how this leaked into the historical record in the first place.
Speaker 1: So what did Jakamaventi see Because he told Keltti the room was absolutely, unequivocally not empty, he saw three objects, three of them.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: He described them as spherical, metallic in appearance, and positioned slightly above shoulder height from the floor.
Speaker 2: And crucially positioned above the floor with no pedestals, no wires, and no visible means of support.
Speaker 1: They were floating, which is just wild to even picture. But I have to push back here for a second. It's nineteen forty seven magnets exist. Could this just be some elaborate trick of men magnetic levitation left over from some eccentric nineteenth century cardinal.
Speaker 2: It's a fair question, it really is. But if we look at the physics of magnetic levitation, it requires either a superconducting material chilled to extreme temperatures, which didn't exist in that form, let alone in sixteen eleven, or an active powered electromagnet.
Speaker 1: Which they wouldn't have had running for centuries exactly.
Speaker 2: But to commeavent, he noted something else. While he stood frozen in the doorway. The objects actually moved slowly but perceptibly, and they produced a distinct.
Speaker 1: Sound, a low, persistent humming.
Speaker 2: Yes. When he finally lost his nerve, stepped out and locked the heavy wooding door behind him, he told Cletty. He could still hear that sound faintly vibrating through the wood for approximately four minutes before it finally stopped.
Speaker 1: See that four minute detail is what convinces me this isn't just a ghost story. It's too specific. If these things have been in there since sixteen eleven, what kind of energy source allows an object to float, move, and hum for centuries?
Speaker 2: It entirely violates the conservation of energy, at least under our standard models. To maintain levitation without aerodynamic lift or electromagnetic suspension requires a massive constant energy.
Speaker 1: Output, right, doesn't just happen for free.
Speaker 2: And for an acoustic wave to be generated that hum, something has to be vibrating and physically displacing the air in the room. What likely happen is that Jacamoventi disrupted whatever delicate atmospheric equilibrium existed in that room just by opening the door.
Speaker 1: Oh, because he changed the air pressure and the thermal gradient exactly.
Speaker 2: The spheres reacted to that change, which is why they moved and hummed, and it took four minutes for the room to return to its baseline state after he closed the door.
Speaker 1: You know, it reminds me of that sixteen to eleven. Note the air being quote unquote different cooler stiller. Whatever those spheres are doing, they are manipulating the local environment to maintain their state.
Speaker 2: It's a localized physical anomaly.
Speaker 1: And this brings us to another room that completely defies reality, but in a totally different way. If Room zero is about manipulating gravity and energy, our next s base is about light and matter. We are moving from the Library to the Archive of Apostolicum.
Speaker 2: The Vatican Secret Archives. This transition is fascinating because the Secret Archives have a very different operational mandate than the Library. Ohso well, the library is for books and manuscripts, right, but the Archive is for the official correspondence, state papers, and legal documents of the papacy. It is arguably the most secure paper trail on Earth.
Speaker 1: And in eighteen eighty one, Popelio the thirteenth does something absolutely unprecedented. He unlocks the archive to non ecclesiastical scholars for the first time since it was centralized in sixteen twelve.
Speaker 2: A huge moment for historians.
Speaker 1: Imagine being a German or French historian in eighteen eighty one, finally getting access to this mythical place you're working through the new finding aids methodically. The physical rooms are numbered in sequence down a massive corridor. You walk past room one, room two, all the way down to room twelve, and the next door is room fourteen.
Speaker 2: The catalog sequence cleanly, deliberately skips room thirteen, just skips it. Yeah, there is no erata printed in the front of the book. There is no administrative note explaining that two rooms were consolidated into one. The numbers just jumped from twelve to fourteen.
Speaker 1: And if you were a researcher who asked a cataloger about it, the historical accounts say the clerks would look at you completely blankly and flatley state there is no Room thirteen, total denial, But the physical architecture of the building tells a completely different story. Fast forward to nineteen twenty seven. A Vatican archivist named Monsignor Petro Fini is consulting an old, dusty cross reference ledger for an entirely unrelated project, like he was probating some old estate.
Speaker 2: Right, a very mundane task.
Speaker 1: And he notices reference codes in the margins that explicitly point to a thirteenth room. Being a diligent archivist, he submits an internal request for clarification to his.
Speaker 2: Superiors, which is exactly what you'd expect a bureaucrat to do. He thinks it's a simple filing error, but ks later a senior prefect responds directly to Feeni, confirming that the room designation had been quote retired and its contents transferred.
Speaker 1: But the prefect conveniently leaves out exactly where they were transferred to. And here's where it gets absolutely wild. Fieni didn't just see a ledger entry. He actually saw the ring.
Speaker 2: He did. In his private correspondence yeah.
Speaker 1: A letter to his brother that was recovered decades after Foeni's death, he wrote about a specific incident. A cataloger's key ring was misplaced. A heavy door at the end of the room twelve corridor, disguised to look like a solid wall panel, was opened by accident for just a fraction of a second by a maintenance worker and then immediately slam shut. Feeni was standing right there, and what did Phoene see in that fraction of a second?
Speaker 2: He described two very specific things. First, he saw light, but he explicitly noted it had no.
Speaker 1: Visible source, no candles, no lanterns.
Speaker 2: No windows, just ambient self generating light in a room that had been sealed in darkness. Second, he saw a surface or an object in the center of the and he described it using a very specific, improvised Latin phrase lapis.
Speaker 1: Non natis lapist non natas stone not born. Let's really analyze the linguistic gymnastics happening here. FEEDI was a man who spent his entire professional life handling medieval manuscripts.
Speaker 2: Right, he knew his Latin. He was fluent in standard liturgical Latin, academic Latin, and legal Latin. His vocabulary was massive, Yet when confronted with this object, his vast linguistic toolkit just failed him. He had to invent a phrase, stone not born. It implies that he recognized the material as sharing the visual and perhaps textural characteristics of stone, but his brain immediately registered that it lacked the geological history of formation, like.
Speaker 1: It wasn't carved, it wasn't quarry exactly.
Speaker 2: It didn't belong to the natural geology of Earth.
Speaker 1: Okay, I have to stop and ask you, though, how reliable is a fraction of a second glimpse. Human's memory is notoriously terrible, especially when we're surprised could the sourceless light just be a trick of his eyes adjusting. Could the stone not born just be a weirdly polished piece of marble.
Speaker 2: If it were just Finey's letter, you could absolutely write it off as a trick of the light or an overact of imagination. But it's the institutional response to Feoeni that validates his sighting.
Speaker 1: The cover up right.
Speaker 2: Shortly after Phoene submitted his questions and had this accidental sighting, that specific closs reference ledger he'd been using was permanently removed from circulation. It just vanished.
Speaker 1: Oh wow.
Speaker 2: Furthermore, jump ahead to the modern era. Between twenty eight and twenty fourteen, three independent researchers found the exact same gap in the published catalog. They filed formal.
Speaker 1: Access requests and let me guess denied.
Speaker 2: The Vatican told them the material from Room thirteen had been moved to the Pontifical Commission for Sacred Archaeology, But when those researchers followed up with that commission, the commission confirmed in writing that no such transfer ever happened.
Speaker 1: It's an institutional shell game. They're pointing at different departments to exhaust the researchers but the physical building betrays them again, doesn't it It does.
Speaker 2: In nineteen fifty three, the Vatican brought in outside structural engineers to reinforce that specific wing of the Archive building, and.
Speaker 1: The municipal survey drawn up by those engineers shows a large void, a physical room adjacent to the Room twelve corridor that does not correspond to any catalog space on the Vatican's official blueprints. When the lead engineer asked the Prefect about it, he was brusquely told.
Speaker 2: It was an obsolete utility chamber, and then the Prefect gave a highly unusual order. He told the engineers to encapsulate the room entirely in masonry.
Speaker 1: Wait, like, completely seal it.
Speaker 2: Yes, they were instructed to strengthen the load bearing walls from the outside and to literally lay brick and mortar over the sealed door, entombing it within the architecture of the building.
Speaker 1: This is what drives me crazy. If the Vatican really wanted this stone not born hidden, why not just put it in a box, loaded onto a track at three am and buried in a cave in the Alps. Why go through the incredibly suspicious trouble of Britain picking up a room in the middle of your active daily use archive.
Speaker 2: That is the pivotal question, and it speaks to the physical nature of the anomaly. The most logical, albeit unsettling, theoretical answer is that whatever is inside Room thirteen physically cannot.
Speaker 1: Be moved because it's too heavy, or.
Speaker 2: Because it is intrinsically integrated into the localized space, or perhaps most terrifyingly, the danger of interacting with it is so profoundly high that the safest course of action was to treat the room itself as a containment vessel.
Speaker 1: A containment vessel.
Speaker 2: You don't strengthen walls from the outside unless you are trying to ensure that no one can ever get in, or from a structural engineering standpoint, that whatever energy or phenomenon is occurring inside cannot breach the rest of the building.
Speaker 1: That phrase gives me chills. Containment vessel, and it leads us perfectly into our next space, where containment actually failed to suppress a fundamental law of physics dermodynamics. We are leaving the archives and heading to the Borgia apartments on the first floor of the Apostolic Palace.
Speaker 2: The Borgia apartments are stunning. They were built for Pope Alexander, the sixth Rodrigo Borgia in the late fifteenth century. They are heavily frescoed, incredibly ornate, and steeped in the infamous history of the Borgia family.
Speaker 1: And in two thousand and one they are undergoing a massive, highly technical restoration. A master conservator is working out a fresco paided in the fourteen nineties. She is running a sonic probe along the wall to check for moisture damage and plaster.
Speaker 2: Detachment, a very standard procedure for restorations, right.
Speaker 1: But the probe's feedback isn't behaving normally. She realizes the plaster isn't just thick, there is a constructed, sealed void behind the fresco. She reports the anomaly to her supervisor, and the Vatican's response is immediate and draconian.
Speaker 2: They instantly suspend the entire multimillion dollar restoration project.
Speaker 1: Unidentified officials in dark suits arrive and they actually breach the void, cutting through the five hundred year old fresco wall, and.
Speaker 2: The restoration team is ordered to wait in the adjacent room and absolutely not to look.
Speaker 1: But you know, as anyone who has ever been in an old building knows heavy wooden doors are rarely airtight when it comes to sound. The conservatives standing near the door, and she overhears the officials talking in Italian inside the void.
Speaker 2: What did you hear?
Speaker 1: One official notes that the ceiling of the hidden inner room is painted. Another asks with what is it biblical? And the first person says, taking a very long, heavy pause, the stars but not ours.
Speaker 2: Not ours a star chart showing constellations, planetary alignment, or celestial bodies from a vantage point that is fundamentally not Earth exactly.
Speaker 1: And I know what you're thinking listening to this. Maybe it was just a heavily stylized Renaissance zodiac that the official didn't recognize. But it's what happens next that elevates this from a weird painting to a physical impossibility.
Speaker 2: To non disclosure agreements.
Speaker 1: Yes, five members of the restoration team were pulled aside and asked to sign severe, legally binding non disclosure agreements. Two of them refused. One of those two, risking our gave a veiled interview to a small, obscure Italian architectural journal in two thousand and six.
Speaker 2: It's amazing she went on the record at all considering the pressure, she was careful.
Speaker 1: She said. She never went inside the room itself, but she was in the hallway when the officials emerged carrying the objects they had removed from the void. She watched them place these objects into padded transit cases.
Speaker 2: And she noted two things.
Speaker 1: Yeah, First, the objects were covered in a dense notation, an engraving that wasn't Latin, Greek, Arabic or any script she had encountered in twenty years of studying ancient art history. But the second detail, she was absolutely adamant about this. She said the objects were warm.
Speaker 2: Not just room temperature, warm, warmer than objects sealed in a cold stone room for five centuries should be, I believe, was her exact phrasing.
Speaker 1: Yes, And she clarified that she didn't just mean they felt warm to the touch because one of the officials had been holding them with their body heat. She said, you could feel the heat radiating off them as they passed by. They were warm from themselves.
Speaker 2: I get thermodynamics of that statement. It is staggering. Let's think about this. Logically, an object sealed in a dark, unventilated, thick stone room in Rome in fourteen ninety four should reach thermal equilibrium with its environment relatively quickly.
Speaker 1: Stone is a massive heat sink, right.
Speaker 2: Exactly, For an object to remain perceptibly warm to the human sensus for five hundred and seven years, it must have an internal active mechanism for generating heat. It is actively radiating thermal energy. This entirely violates the basic physics of cold sealed storage.
Speaker 1: I mean, if you bury a hot brick in a stone wall, it's cold by Tuesday. This thing was hot half a millennium later. The Borges were notorious obsessive record keepers. They tracked every ounce of gold, every drop of wine, every political favor, but no inventorialist this room.
Speaker 2: Which means whatever was put back there was placed before the fresco is painted over it, intentionally sealing it out of history.
Speaker 1: It just makes you wonder, what kind of battery last five hundred years.
Speaker 2: Or moving away from the concept of a mechanical battery, what kind of material naturally decays at a rate that produces a steady, safe, but palpable heat for five centuries without fatally irradiating the rest of the Apostolic palace.
Speaker 1: That's a terrifying thought.
Speaker 2: The psychological weight of the Restorer's' observation is profound. She was an expert in historical materials. She knew how wood, stone and metal behave over centuries. She recognized instantly that she was looking at an absolute impossibility.
Speaker 1: Okay, we've looked at anomalous physics metallic spheres that float and hum, sourceless light, illuminating stone that wasn't born, and objects generating endless heat behind a fifteenth century wall. But if the Vatican is hiding objects that defy thermodynamics, what happens when they unearth the technology that simply shouldn't exist in human history?
Speaker 2: We are transitioning now from impossible physics to impossible engineering.
Speaker 1: Yes, we are heading to the tower of winds, specifically the intervalt in the year fifteen eighty two.
Speaker 2: This is a brilliant pivot because fifteen eighty two is arguably one of the most monumental years for humanity's relationship with time itself. Pope Gregory the thirteenth is implementing the Gregorian calendar, which is the calendar every single one of us still uses today.
Speaker 1: Right because the old Julian calendar, which was instituted by Julius Caesar, was slightly off, it miscalculated the solar year by about eleven minutes. Over fifteen centuries, those eleven minutes compounded and the calendar had drifted by ten full days.
Speaker 2: It was a huge problem.
Speaker 1: The spring equinox was happening on the wrong date, which meant Easter was being celebrated on the wrong day, which was a massive theological crisis for the church. They needed to fix time itself, and the Tower Winds was built specifically as the laboratory for this fix.
Speaker 2: It was an architectural marvel of its time. It had a precision hole drilled in the southern wall that let a single focused beam of sunlight trace a line across a marble floor the meridian line like.
Speaker 1: A giant sundial.
Speaker 2: Essentially, yes, this allowed the Papal astronomers to track the exact length of the solar year with mind boggs accuracy.
Speaker 1: But during the installation of that incredibly precise marble floor, the Stonemasons broke through the substrate into a hidden chamber below.
Speaker 2: A subterranean trapdoor leading to an older, deeper chamber that the tower's own Renaissance architects didn't even know existed when they built the tower. Over it.
Speaker 1: We only know what they found down there because of two obscure, fragmented documents that escape the archives. One is a mundane construction receipt for plaster and stone, but a foreman wrote a frantic margin note in Latin that translates to found a room below sealed per order of his holiness. Instruments therein not of known type.
Speaker 2: The second piece of evidence is much more damning. It's a personal letter from the lead Papal astronomer, Ignatio Dante, to a trusted mathematician colleague in Florence.
Speaker 1: And this letter was lost to history until it was discovered in the nineteen thirties misfiled in the Galileo collection.
Speaker 2: Dante was a genius. He was the man who essentially finalized the math for our modern calendar, and.
Speaker 1: He writes in this letter that he was permitted to climb down into the void and examine the instruments for exactly one afternoon. He stated they were clearly astronomical in nature, designed to track celestial bodies, but they operated on mechanical principles he couldn't even begin to determine.
Speaker 2: He described one device as a complex model of planetary motion that completely exceeded anything his century, or any century he knew of could produce.
Speaker 1: We really need to grasp the heavy irony here. The Gregorian calendar governs our modern lives down to the very microsecond. Every international flight departure, every stock market algorithm, every digital time stamp on your phone is based on the calculations finalized in that room.
Speaker 2: And yet that room was constructed directly above an astronomical instrument that terrified the smartest astronomer of the Renaissance era.
Speaker 1: Now I try to look at this logically. I keep thinking about the anti thea mechanism that ancient Greek analog computer found in a shipwreck that was used to predict astronomical positions. We know the Greeks had advanced clockwork. Could this just be a lost Greek device that ended up in Rome.
Speaker 2: It's a solid hypothesis, but we have to look at the observer. Dante knew his history. He was a master of the classical Greek and Roman texts. He knew what a water clock was. He understood ptolemaic astrolabes.
Speaker 1: So he would have recognized it exactly.
Speaker 2: He didn't write to his colleague saying I found a marvelous lost artifact of antiquity. He explicitly stated it was beyond anything human civilization had built or understood. He couldn't even identify the metals used in the gears.
Speaker 1: And what's deeply unsettling is the Vatican's immediate, ruthless response. Dante, the most important scientist in the Catholic world at that moment, was permitted to look for one afternoon. He was explicitly forbidden to sketch the devices. He was not allowed to return never again. That subterranean chamber has never been opened again. The incredibly precise marble floor of the Meridian Room was laid over the track door and has never been disturbed since fifteen eighty two. Think about that.
Speaker 2: It's incredible.
Speaker 1: The most precise calendar in human history was finalized literally on top of a mechanism that mapped the heavens better than the Renaissance masters could, and the Pope's reaction was to bury it forever.
Speaker 2: It suggests that the device didn't just track the Sun in the moon. It likely tracks celestial bodies or conceptualized the universe in a way that directly threatened the geocentric, Earth centered theology of the sixteenth century church. It wasn't just advanced, it was heretical by its very existence.
Speaker 1: That brings us to another buried machine, but this one was found much more recently under entirely different geopolitical circumstances. Let's jump forward to the year nineteen forty three. World War two is raging.
Speaker 2: Rome is under intense German military occupation.
Speaker 1: The Vatican is officially a neutral micro state, but behind the walls, they are panicking. They are terrified of being bombed by the Allies or raided by the Nazis, so they are rapidly extending a network of underground bunker passages beneath the Apostolic Palace to protect the Pope and key assets.
Speaker 2: It's a high stress, fast paced construction environment, entirely hidden from the outside world.
Speaker 1: A civilian construction worker named Aldo Raaldy is part of this tunneling crew. Roaldy kept a personal journal of his daily life, which his family preserved and later donated to a Roman heritage organization in the nineteen nineties.
Speaker 2: According to Roaldy, his crew is digging a new lateral tunnel when their pickaxes break through a masonry wall into a pre existing completely undocumented chamber.
Speaker 1: This wasn't on any of the Vatican's master blueprints for the subterranean levels.
Speaker 2: Right and Raaldy actually gets a clear look inside with his flashlight before the Swiss Guard and Vatican personnel swarm the area and violently kick the civilian workers out.
Speaker 1: Roaldy wrote that the room wasn't just an empty Roman cistern. There were large heavy cases stacked neatly along one wall, and in the dead center of the floor, sitting in a plinth was a device. He described it as looking like a large clock, but with.
Speaker 2: No hands, a clock with no hands.
Speaker 1: That the visual isn't the weirdest part. He said, it was making a sound, a quiet, rhythmic, mechanical sound, like heavy gears turning flawlessly. But there was no visible power source.
Speaker 2: No electrical cables, no steam pipes, no water wheel, no mainspring being wound.
Speaker 1: Let's contextualize this. It is nineteen forty three, an underground chamber of unknown age, sealed off from the world, and a device is turning by itself in the dark.
Speaker 2: The imagery is just chilling.
Speaker 1: Imagine being in your basement knocking down a wall and fighting a machine that has been ticking since before you were born, with no plug, a machine endlessly ticking in the dark while World War II rages in the skies above. It ticking through the Cold War, ticking right now as we speak.
Speaker 2: Because the Vatican didn't dismantle it, they sealed it up, designated it Room B, and separated it from the new bunker network with a massive reinforced interior wall.
Speaker 1: And this is where the Vatticson's assertion of international sovereignty transitions from a political shield into a weapon of total secrecy. In nineteen forty five, the War ends Allied intelligence agencies American and British asked to inspect portions of the Vatican's wartime shelter.
Speaker 2: Network, ostensibly for post war security assessments and to ensure no high level fascists are hiding down there.
Speaker 1: The Vatican outright declines the request for the roomb sector aggressively, citing their status as sovereign territory. They refused to look Allied engineers anywhere near a room that officially wasn't even on their own architectural blueprints.
Speaker 2: And we know for a fact that it is still there.
Speaker 1: Yes, a leak of Vatican facilities maintenance records in twenty twelve showed periodic structural and environmental checks for the Bunker network spanning from nineteen forty five to the present day. For eighty two consecutive years, the Ledger notation for roombe has remained exactly the same utility storage, stable, interior contents per original classification. Access strictly restricted.
Speaker 2: It has been turning for eighty two years. If you are an engineer, how do you explain a machine that produces a mechanical sound which requires kinetic friction for eight decades with no power source.
Speaker 1: I mean, I can't even get my Bluetooth headphones to hold a charge for a week, let alone eighty years.
Speaker 2: That is the textbook definition of impossible engineering. You are looking at either a literal perpetual motion mechanism which violates the laws of thermodynamics, or a power source so incredibly dense, efficient, and frictionless that it mimics perpetual motion to the human eye.
Speaker 1: Both options are mind blowing.
Speaker 2: But I also want to draw attention to this specific phrasing of Raaldy's observation a clock with no hands. If a mechanical device is turning rhythmically, it is keeping time or it is measuring a cyclical function, right, But if there are no hands, no dials, no output display, it isn't meant to communicate that measurement to a human observer. It's not a clock for us, it's keeping time for itself. Or it's counting down.
Speaker 1: Okay, that is a profoundly terrifying thought. A machine measuring an epoch we don't understand, counting down to who knows what, and speaking of things absolutely not meant for human hands. Let's look at it different kind of impossible technology. In nineteen oh three, a senior papal archaeologist is granted unprecedented, highly controversial access to survey the subcrypt beneath the Sancta Sanctorum.
Speaker 2: You have to explain the gravity of the Sanctus Sanctorum. It translates to the Holy of Holies. It is the private chapel of the medieval popes, located in the Lateran Palace, not the main Vatican complex.
Speaker 1: It's super exclusive.
Speaker 2: Oh. It contains relics so revered that for centuries only the pope could enter. Most famously, it houses an icon of Christ that Catholic tradition claims was painted by no human hand. The Achiropoietin It is quite literally one of the most spiritually restricted spaces in the history of Christendom.
Speaker 1: The nineteen oh three survey team gets permission to examine the foundations. They find a set of steep, worn stone stairs descending from the chapel floor into the bedrock, blocked by a massive ancient iron grate. But the grate isn't locked with the padlock, it's completely fused to its stone frame by centuries of intense calcium and iron deposits.
Speaker 2: The team has to spend four grueling days with chisels and acid just to cut the iron free.
Speaker 1: When they finally breach it and get down there, they find a chamber roughly twenty by thirty feet, and the very first thing the lead archaeologist notes is that the air in the room is dry.
Speaker 2: Which, to anyone who understands the hydrology of Rome is an absolute screaming anomaly.
Speaker 1: Explain why for everyone listening.
Speaker 2: Rome is a city built on a floodplain intersected by the Tiber River, sitting on top of thousands of years of porous ruins and aquifers. It is an incredibly wet, humid city. Basements, crips, and catacombs in Rome inevitably fill with water, dampness, and intense moisture over centuries.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I have a weird old basement in my house and it's always damp, so I get how crazy that is.
Speaker 2: It's a nightmare for preservation. But this room hasn't. The air is dry, crisp, and stable, like a heavily controlled modern museum climate environment.
Speaker 1: Exactly. It implies that whatever mechanism or material property is maintaining the stability of that air has been operating flawlessly for the entire period. The iron grate was fusing to the rock, which is at minimums several centuries.
Speaker 2: But the dry air isn't the reason the team stops dead in their tracks.
Speaker 1: No, it's what they find sitting in carved niches along the walls, containers. But the nineteen oh three survey notes don't call them urns or boxes. They describe them using the specific Latin phrase materia incognita unknown material.
Speaker 2: The visual properties they describe are fascinating. They look metallic, possessing achine in a rigidity. But the archaeologists who are experts in antiquities test them and determine they aren't iron bronze, copper, silver, lead, or gold.
Speaker 1: They don't match anything.
Speaker 2: No, they don't match the thermal conductivity, the texture, the color, or the density of any known metal on the periodic table of the time.
Speaker 1: And most importantly, they show absolutely zero corrosion. None.
Speaker 2: Every other material in that crypt, the stone walls, the ancient mortar, the organic dust debris showed expected heavy signs of massive age and decay, but the containers were pristine. No oxidation, no rust, no discolouration, no pitting.
Speaker 1: It's like wandering into a moldy, crumbling medieval dungeon and finding a perfectly preserved, futuristic, seamless, stainless steel thermos just sitting on a rock, and that's the healthy. They couldn't even open them. The notes explicitly state there were no visible seams, no hinges, no rivets, no fasteners, and no lids.
Speaker 2: They appeared to be continuous, solid objects formed whole, meaning whatever is inside them was sealed without any evidence of how the ceiling was physically accomplished.
Speaker 1: The zineteen oh three teen was baffled. They spent six full days in that crypt trying to analyze the material with every chemical and physical method available to turn to the century science. They tried to scratch it. They applied acid, they weighed, they completely failed to make a dent.
Speaker 2: They compiled their report and informed Pulpious the tenth. The result, the Vatican didn't fund a deeper scientific inquirity. Instead, the subcrypt was abruptly resealed. In nineteen oh four. It was declared off limits forever, ostensibly to preserve the chapel's structural integrity.
Speaker 1: But we know they're still there. In nineteen sixty eight, a Vatican Archaeological Commission report released a heavily vetted partial catalog of historical surveys. It included a tiny, almost missible footnote about the nineteen oh three survey that simply read Subcrypt examination discontinued materials in situ in.
Speaker 2: Situ meaning in their original place.
Speaker 1: Sixty five years later, the Vatican quietly confirms in a footnote that the containers are still exactly where they were left. They haven't opened them because they physically can't open them.
Speaker 2: I want you to think about the poetic resonance of this location. It's breathtaking. The chapel above is world famous for an icon supposedly not painted by human hands. It's a miracle of divine creation, and underneath the crypt directly below contains physical, tangible vessels manufactured by no metallurgical method. Humans possess made of a material that defies earthly decay, somehow maintaining a localized perfect climate in a damp, subterranean ruin.
Speaker 1: The Vatican's strategy here isn't just basic secrecy. It's quarantined by architectural mandate. They are using the holiest spaces as buffer zones against the inexplicable.
Speaker 2: Oh exactly, Okay.
Speaker 1: We have escalated from anomalous physics in the archives to impossible machines in the bunkers. Now we are moving to the third category of our deep dive today, and honestly, this is the most unsettling part of our exploration. We're moving away from objects and entering the realm of biology.
Speaker 2: We are talking about encounters with the other evidence of entities, biology, and sentience that fundamentally challenge the human centric view of history and theology.
Speaker 1: This is where the stakes reach their absolute peak. When an institution built entirely on the premise of human spiritual primacy, the idea that humans are the unique central creation of the universe encounters something definitively biological and definitively non human. That cognitive dissonance is staggering.
Speaker 2: It's an existential threat.
Speaker 1: Let's start with the Ethiopian scriptoring incident. In nineteen thirty seven, Three massive, heavily secured wooden crates arrive at the Vatican Apostolic Life Library, shipped directly from Addis Ababa. Now context is key here. This is during Mussolini's brutal Ethiopian campaign.
Speaker 2: The Italian fascist occupation is tearing through the country, looting and disrupting ancient, incredibly isolated monastery networks. These specific crates came from a site in Lallabella.
Speaker 1: And Lallabella is crucial to understanding what happens next. It is one of the oldest, most mysterious monastic sites in the world. The famous churches there aren't built from the ground up. They are carved downward out of solid living bedrock, straight into the earth.
Speaker 2: The religious traditions preserved in Lallabella pre date Western European Christianity by a massive margin. They have texts and histories that the rest of the Christian world lost or destroyed centuries ago.
Speaker 1: So these crates arrive in Rome, a junior Vatican cataloger, starts unpacking the manuscripts and immediately realizes he's out of his depth. The texts are written in Gaya's, the classical ancient Ethiopian script, but the vocabulary and syntags are being used to describe something the language wasn't designed for.
Speaker 2: He correctly flags it and calls in father Aurelio Marchetti. Marchetti is the library's senior expert in Semitic scripts. He's a man with forty years of academic theology and linguistic experience. He has read everything.
Speaker 1: Marchetti looks at the texts, turns pale, and asks for three days alone with the crates in a secure reading room. On the fourth day, he emerges and demands an immediate meeting with the library prefect.
Speaker 2: And whatever Marchetti said to the Prefect in that room isn't recorded in the official minutes, but the resulting action is explosive.
Speaker 1: Explosive is right. The Prefect immediately writes a high priority memo to the Vatican Secretary of State restricting the Lalla Bella documents from all research permanently, and Marchetti. Marchetti, a man who had dedicated four decades to the Vatican library, is quickly quietly transferred to a minor teaching post in Bologna. He never sets foot in the Vatican again.
Speaker 2: He essentially gets exiled. It's a classic bureaucratic neutralization. But what did he read that was so dangerous?
Speaker 1: We only know because when Marchetti died in nineteen teen sixty one, his family found an unmailed letter to his brother hidden in the false bottom of his personal desk. A German historian managed to view this letter and quoted one single chilling line from it in a two thousand and three academic volume on Vatican's censorship.
Speaker 2: What did he write?
Speaker 1: Marchetti wrote about the Lalla Bella texts. What the text described as existing before the first day is not allegorical. The measurements given are precise, The entities described are not angels.
Speaker 2: If you are listening to this, I need you to sit with the sheer weight of that word precise. Marchetti was a master theologian. He spent his entire life reading allegories, parables, and spiritual metaphors. If an ancient text says a giant stood as Paul's a mountain, a scholar like Marchetti knows that's poetry, it's symbolic. But Marchetti was horrified precisely because the text wasn't poetry. It was technical. It provided exact mathematical physical dimensions for entities that existed before the First Day, meaning before the biblical creation of her.
Speaker 1: It's not a myth, it's an engineering or biological schematic of pre biblical entities. A forty year theologians worldview was so utterly shattered by reading precise measurements of non angelic beings that he hit a letter in his desk and spent the remaining twenty four years of his life in complete silence.
Speaker 2: And the Vatican. In twenty eleven, a consortium of Ethiopian scholars petitioned the Vatican requesting access to those specific crates to reclaim their cultural heritage. The Vatican responded with a one sentenced denial stating that the materials were restricted pending review.
Speaker 1: Pending review for eighty eight years. Unbelievable, and Marchidi wasn't the only one finding evidence of things from before the first Let's jump to nineteen thirty nine. Pope Pious the twelfth authorizes a highly secretive, deeply symbolic excavation directly beneath the floor of Saint Peter's Basilica.
Speaker 2: The explicit goal is to dig down and find the actual tomb of Saint Peter himself in the Vatican Necropolis, a buried street of first century Roman mausoleums that the modern Basilica was built over.
Speaker 1: Three months into the delicate dig, a worker's pickaxe breaks through a stone floor that shouldn't be there, opening a hole into a massive, unmapped void below the Necropolis.
Speaker 2: The archaeologists are thrilled at first. They lower a lantern into the darkness. The walls of this deep chamber are heavily covered in markings and in grievings, but crucially, when you read the field notes of the four Pontifical Academy archaeologists on site, none of them will describe those markings as either Christian or Roman.
Speaker 1: The excavation team widens the hole and descends. According to the shift logs, they spend exactly forty seven minutes in this deep, sub level chamber. We only know the number forty seven because a meticulous formant noted the duration in the margin. But what the team actually did down there or what they saw in the lantern light was entirely omitted from the official excavation reports.
Speaker 2: However, the team leader's private journal was donated to a Roman university archive by his widow in nineteen seventy one. The university researchers eagerly opened it, only to find that the entire passage describing the forty seven minute to disas is heavily redacted.
Speaker 1: But it's not just neatly crossed out. Someone took a thick black pen and scribbled over the words so violently, pressing so hard that the paper itself is deeply indented and torn in places.
Speaker 2: But modern forensic archival techniques are incredible. Under strong angled raking light, researchers were able to read a few fragmented words pressed into the paper beneath the ink. The legible phrases included not from here and echoing Father Marquette's Ethiopian manuscripts, the exact phrase before the first.
Speaker 1: Pope, Pious the twelfth, was informed of the discovery that very evening in his private apartments. Within seventy two hours, the sub level access point was completely sealed with hundreds of gallons of poored industrial concrete.
Speaker 2: I want to analyze the timeline and logistics of that decision because it reviews everything the Vatican bureaucracy historically moves at a glacial centuries long pace. To authorize the logistical nightmare of mixing and pouring massive amounts of wet concrete inside the holiest Basilica and Christendom over an active archaeological site within three days implies absolute unadulterated panic at the highest level of the church.
Speaker 1: What could make a pope poor concrete over part of his own church in a single evening exactly?
Speaker 2: And the workers on the crew knew something was profoundly wrong. Decades later, long after the pope had died, four surviving members of that original twelve percon digging crew gave separate interviews to different historians. Two of them, questioned in different cities twenty years apart, with absolutely no known contact between them, used almost identical chilling phrasing to describe what they saw in the lantern light.
Speaker 1: What they say.
Speaker 2: One said there were things down there that hadn't been placed by human hands. The other said the markings on those walls were not made by people.
Speaker 1: It entirely resists coincidence. You have a forensic redaction saying not from here, unconnected labors saying not made by people, and a sitting pope panic pouring concrete and devalidate at all. Modern ground penetrating radars s conducted in the early two thousands for structural assessments of the Basilica clearly show a massive, anomalous void exactly where this chamber is supposed to be.
Speaker 2: It exists in engineering records as a void, it exists in construction logs as a massive concrete pore, and it exists in official archaeological publications as completely non existent, the.
Speaker 1: Little quarantine of reality. But what if they don't just find ancient texts or weird markings on a wall. What if they find bodies? This brings us to nineteen thirty six and a restoration worker inside the Casino po the fourth.
Speaker 2: This is a stunning, incredibly beautiful Renaissance villa tucked away in the lush Vatican gardens. Popius the eleventh had just designated this specific building as the permanent prestigious home for the Pontifical Academy of.
Speaker 1: Sciences, which is incredibly ironic as the scientific method is about to collide violently with something it cannot categorize. During structural reinforcement work in the basement, the masonry team breaks through the Roman Era foundation into a much older, low ceiling perfectly circular void cut directly into the bedrock of the Vatican Hill.
Speaker 2: Along the curved walls of this void are carved stone shelves, and sitting on those shelves are more than thirty heavy ceramic containers. They are completely sealed with a hardened dark stone like resin.
Speaker 1: But over the centuries the bedrock had shifted slightly and some of the resin seals on a few containers had cracked open. Inside the cracked containers were biological specimens.
Speaker 2: The official restoration documentation for the villa shows a blatant two page break in the daily records for the three days following this discovery. It's just blank. Then on the fourth day, a terse administrative note simply says subfloor void assessed contents secured per prefect instruction.
Speaker 1: But the restoration supervisor was a prolific letter writer. He wrote letters to his wife almost every day, and these letters were recovered from his family estate in the nineteen nineties. He wrote to her about the day they breached the void, he looked through the cracked resin seals with his flashlight.
Speaker 2: Described seeing skeletal elements in a state of preservation that made absolutely no sense for their subterranean age. But it wasn't the preservation that broke him. It was the physical proportions.
Speaker 1: He specifically described a cranial structure, a skull visible inside one of the cracked containers. He wrote to his wife, and I am quoting the translation exactly. It is not a human skull, and it is not an animal skull. And I have no third category.
Speaker 2: No third category. That is the exact language of a rational mind encountering a total taxonomic failure. Think about the sheer terror of that moment.
Speaker 1: It's just wild to imagine being in issues.
Speaker 2: He is looking at a biological reality, a physical skull with eye sockets and bone structure that fundamentally does not fit into the established binary dichotomy of life on Earth as he understands it. It breaks the tree of life.
Speaker 1: And here is the dark, almost comedic poetry of it all. The Pontifical Academy of Sciences moved into that villa in nineteen thirty six for ninety years some of the most brilliant scientist minds of the twentieth and twenty first centuries. Nobel laureates, theoretical physicists, evolutionary biologists, geneticists have been meeting in that villa, sitting in ornate chairs, advising the Pope on the origins of life and the nature of the cosmos, And directly beneath their Italian leather shoes, sealed in the bedrock is a room containing thirty skulls that defy the very taxonomy of life on Earth. The Vatican's top scientists have been philosophizing about the boundaries of science directly on top of the physical evidence that shatters those boundaries, and the Vatican knows it's there.
Speaker 2: Eleaked two thousand and nine Facilities Maintenance circular confirms the sub basement room is still sealed, still classified under the original nineteen thirty six directive, with strictly no acxis allowed, even to the scientists working upstairs.
Speaker 1: It's astounding, But I want to end our deep dive into these ten rooms with one final space, because this last room brings everything we've talked about today, the physics, the engineering, the biology, and the entities into one unifying, terrifying concept.
Speaker 2: We are going to the Pall, the sixth Audience Hall, and the year is nineteen seventy one.
Speaker 1: The Pall, the sixth Audience Hall, is an architectural masterpiece. It's the massive, sweeping, modern assembly space designed for papal general audiences. It seats thousands.
Speaker 2: It was designed by pure Luigi Nervi, who was a brilliant world renowned structural engineer known for his work with reinforced concrete.
Speaker 1: During the initial excavation for the hall's massive deep foundations, a drilling team breaks into a finished ancient stone room very deep in the Vatican Earth. A brave or foolish worker goes down into the hole on a rope before the Vatican officials arrive on site.
Speaker 2: He later tells his crew what he saw in the darkness. He says the room was surprisingly empty except for a free standing, complex geometric object resting in the center, roughly at chest height. He couldn't tell if it was stone or metal.
Speaker 1: But he said that when he stepped off the rope and his boots hit the floor of the room, the object's surface shifted.
Speaker 2: And we need to be clear about what he meant by shifted. It wasn't a dramatic mechanical unfolding like a clockwork toy. No.
Speaker 1: He described it as a subtle fluid change across the surface geometry that he couldn't rationally explain. He said it was as if something inside the object recognized that someone had entered.
Speaker 2: Sentience, not just kinetic motion like the spheres and Room zero, but a responsive, localized awareness to human presence.
Speaker 1: The Vatican officials finally arrive, order everyone back and go down into the hole. They come back up twenty minutes later, completely silent, and the foundation plans for the multimillion dollar building are literally redrawn on the spot.
Speaker 2: Nerve's original master blueprints, which are preserved in his family's architectural archive, show a frantic, irregular mid construction adjustment. They are ordered to route the thousands of tons of foundation concrete entirely around this underground space, leaving the chamber intact but permanently entombed within the foundation of the modern building.
Speaker 1: But the story of the audience Hall doesn't end with the concrete foundation. The architecture above ground reflects what is buried below. We have to look at the stage sculpture inside the hall.
Speaker 2: Yes, if you've ever seen a photo of the Pope speaking in this hall, you've seen the stage behind the papal throne is a massive, incredibly intense bronze sculpture by the artist Pericle Fitzini.
Speaker 1: It's called The Resurrection. It depicts Christ's rising, but not peacefully. He is rising from a chaotic, twisted blast cloud that looks like a nuclear explosion or a meteor strike. It is a deeply unsettling piece of art.
Speaker 2: Fatcini worked on it obsessively for twelve years. In a rare nineteen eighty five interview near the end of his life, Fazeni admitted his core inspiration didn't come from theology. It came from a VIP visit to the construction site before the hall was finished.
Speaker 1: He was shown the excavation void. He saw something in the foundation that gave him, in his exact words, a precise image of emergence, of something dormant becoming present.
Speaker 2: He saw the geometric object, He felt that sentience, that awareness, and he spent over a decade channeling the terror and awe of a dormant entity waking up into a sixty six foot wide bronze sculpture.
Speaker 1: Every single week the Pope holds general audiences for thousands of smiling tourists and pilgrims. In that hall, he sits on a stage directly beneath Fazini's screening sculpture of emergents, and directly above a sealed utility void containing a geometric artifact that actively responds to human presence.
Speaker 2: If we pull all these threads together from today's exploration, the implications are staggering. We've looked at ten rooms spanning seventeen centuries of Vatican history.
Speaker 1: We have metallic spheres that float and hum uncorrodable metals maintaining dry microclimates in wet ruins, star charts from alien vantage points generating half a millennium of heat, pre biblical manuscripts detailing the exact measurements of non angelic entities, an endorment reactive artifact entombed beneath the Pope's chair.
Speaker 2: It all circles right back to that exhausted librarian in sixteen eleven, standing in front of an empty room, feeling the cold, still air of something that fundamentally does not belong in our world, and deciding to just write down room zero and walk.
Speaker 1: What an institution chooses to keep locked away, speaks volumes about what they believe humanity is unequipped to handle. The Vatican is not just passively hoarding cool historical artifacts. They're actively continuously managing anomalies that threaten the foundational narratives of physics, biology, history, and theology. They're performing ongoing containment.
Speaker 2: Which brings me to a lingering, provocative thought for you to chew on as we wrap up.
Speaker 1: Let's hear it.
Speaker 2: What if the Vatican's intense multi century secrecy isn't just a cynical act of hoarding power and knowledge. What if it's an act of necessary quarantine. What if these ten rooms aren't just holding weird objects, but are actually load bearing pillars of our reality.
Speaker 1: If you knew that opening a door would unequivocally prove that we are not alone, that we are not the center of the universe, and that we are not even the masters of our own physical laws, would you turn the key?
Speaker 2: It is the ultimate philosophical question of whether humanity is entitled to the truth, even if that truth is fundamentally in compatible with our sanity and our societal structures.
Speaker 1: We've unpacked a massive stack of historical anomalies today on thrilling threads. But now we want to turn it over to you. Which of these ten forbidden rings would you open first? And why do you want to see? The floating spheres, the alien star chart, the machine that ticks without power or the skulls with no category. What's your stand on whether humanity deserves to know or if some doors should absolutely remain sealed for our own good. Drop a comment to answer, and don't forget to tell us where you're tuning in from until next time. Keep pulling at those threads