Speaker 1: Joining us now to tak a little football could have Max Chadwick from Pro Football Focus back on the show, Max.
Speaker 2: I do man good?
Speaker 3: Are you guys doing?
Speaker 2: We're good? We're good. Well, I'm good.
Speaker 1: A lot of our Youte fan listeners aren't as good because, as you know, for the second straight year, Cameron Rising is out man.
Speaker 2: He's out for the entire season.
Speaker 1: I saw a tweet you sent out about the potential of him coming back for an eighth year, which of course topically is a hot one today for Sportstock Radio. What's the Max Chadwick take on the second real punitive injury for Cameron Rising and whether or not he should entertain the option of coming back next year if it's on the table.
Speaker 3: You know, first of all, it's brutal for a guy that, unfortunately his whole career has been marred by injuries, not just this year, not just last year. Really can go back to it, pretty much every year of his career he suffered pretty serious injury and almost every single year. My take is that I know this isn't a popular take. If Utah wants him back, you should absolutely go back to school. He's the rare college star that is not really have a pro future in the NFL, and in today's day and age of NIL, I saw reports that he was making anywhere from five hundred thousand dollars a year to one point five million dollars a year. Why not come back for another year and make that kind of money again instead of trying to go out in the real world and get and getting a job where I don't know what he's majoring in, but I can promise he's probably not gonna make a million dollars a year and whatever job he does after college, right, so he doesn't really have an NFL future. And in today's day and age of NIL, I think you should milk this as much as possible and make another at least five hundred k, if not a million dollars. So for me, if i'm him, plus that you get to play the sport that you love for another year as well. I understand it's not very popular. I know a lot of Utah fans want to move on from it, but I think you should take advantage of the system and then get as much money as possible. In my opinion.
Speaker 2: See, I'm with you, and you're right.
Speaker 1: It isn't popular, but we all went to college for one reason, and that is to find our way through the world, find employment, find a career. And I guarantee every single youth fan who's yelling or being brave online about wanting Cameron gone, if they have the opportunity to do what they love to do and make a million dollars at the age of twenty six and it meant going back to school, they would do it, all of them. Right, So I am I am with you if Cameron wants to and if the nil money is still there. I don't know if it would be there though, because there's a lot of fatigue in the market.
Speaker 2: So Max, let me ask you this.
Speaker 1: If you were if you're Kyle Whittingham, if you're Andy Ludwig, are you interested in Cameron Rising coming back for an eighth year next year or do you feel like they may just want to move on and see what they have in Isaac Wilson.
Speaker 3: That's a complicated answer right there. I think that's the question that I think everyone should be asking, rather than should Cam come back? Right, I think the question should do because you want him back. I think it's an interesting one because I think there's a couple there's the reasons say yes, And there's the reasons say no. I think the reasons say yes is, hey, he's still a pretty solid quarterback when he's fully healthy. Obviously the Arizona State game he is not fully healthy at all, which is why he short so much. So yeah, you would say yeah, you'd want him back for another year. And also Isaac Wilson. Yeah, I get he's a true freshman, but he has not looked great when he's been out there. Right, But the reason you say no is saying, Okay, we want to start the next era of Utah football Cam Rising if he is probably only gonna be able to play next year, and then obviously after that his career is over. Isaac Wilson you're hoping could be your next quarterback for the next one to two years. Right, So there's no guarantee that Isaac Wilson wouldn't transfer if Cam Rising came back for another year. So it's really a question of if you want to build for the future with Isaac Wilson or if you want a solid twenty twenty five season with Cam Rising. I'd rather go with Cam Rising for twenty twenty five, But if you want the future play, then you go with Isaac Wilson. So it's really about what Kayle Winningham wants in that program right now. So that, I think is the real question that everyone should be asking right now.
Speaker 1: Or do you wait and see how the rest of the year plays out with Isaac Hunter Center. There's only six games left then, coach wit announcing that Isaac is QB one and Brandon Rose is QB two, So maybe you.
Speaker 2: Just wait and see what you have in Isaac.
Speaker 1: Because for me, Max, I'm viewing what's happening now moving forward with Isaac. I'm kind of giving him a clean sheet, clean slate here because even Mackai Bernard after practice yesterday admitted that they have been putting in two different game plans for the contingency. As far as who's going to be under center, now that's off the table now Isaac knows the job is his. So I'm looking at what's next as something that's kind of new for Isaac because he does have the job security he didn't have before. So maybe you wait and see what you have for the next six games and then make a decision on whether or not you want Cam back after.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think that's a great point. I think it's exactly what they're going to do now, right. I think you made a great point that, hey, Isaac was going into every game not knowing if you would be the starting quarterback a Cam Rising every week was questionable, right, And then he would work out pre game and then at the very end of it was say, Okay, no, Isac, you're actually the guys. So that's a very hard situation for a true freshman.
Speaker 2: To be in.
Speaker 3: Now that he knows is his job for the rest of the year, maybe he gets more comfortable and he starts playing a lot better. So if he does start playing a lot better, then I think you could say, okay, yeah, maybe okay, they should tell Cam Rising, hey, yeah, you can come back for another year, but you might not be the starter, right or Cam Rising and they could tell him, hey, why don't you endo the portal and go somewhere else and play somewhere else for your final year or wherever like that. So if Isaac played really well in the final six games, then I would say, yeah, then I would probably look to the future and build with Isaac Wilson for twenty twenty five and twenty twenty six and beyond maybe even But if not, if he doesn't play well, then I think you start talking about, Okay, do we want to bring back Cam Rising for an eighth year?
Speaker 1: So you referenced Friday night a rough night for Utah football, rough weekend for Utah football fans, Max, I can tell you that much. And coach went after the game when asked about because to your point, Cam was clearly compromised, and if you watch the slow motion replay of him getting rolled up on after the third snap, it looked awful, like I thought the leg was broken. Then I was stunned he got up, and even more stunt that he played, and then even more stunned that they kept him in the game and he clearly he couldn't even make a ten yard out. I mean everything was short, had wide open wide receivers. Coach went after the game said that Cameron wanted to play, and he said, hey, look I get it.
Speaker 2: He's a season vet.
Speaker 1: This kid won you two Pac twelve championships and brought you to two Rose Bulls. He has built in equity that maybe other players don't. Then on Monday morning, during during coach wiz media availability, he reiterated the desire Cameron had to play, and therefore they played him and referenced one drive they had right before the half where they moved the ball a little bit.
Speaker 2: But the red zone issues all year have been horrible for me.
Speaker 1: The onus is on the coach to take the player out, because I don't think there are very many players that, if given the option, would want to, you know, tap out of playing, especially a player like Cameron who's been sitting for three games and is just getting guff from the fan base for sitting out Like he wanted to play, of course, but he was clearly compromised.
Speaker 2: I think that's on the grown ups in the room, not on Cameron. What do you think, Max, Yeah, I completely agree with you.
Speaker 3: I think you have any any player player a scale and still want to play, right, and you can't. You can't say, oh, well, he wants to play, so we got to let him play. Like that's not at all what your job is. Right. If a guy is hurt, he's hurt, and Cam Rising was clearly hurt out there, and then now, obviously two days later, we're talking about him being out for the entire season, right, So he had a season ending injury and he played the rest of the game. On it, which is obviously not safe at all. Yeah, I do blame Kyle winning him of the staff for that, because that is definitely not a good thing for that staff to be doing. So yeah, I think that is a that's definitely a problem with that staff for allowing him to do that, honestly. So, uh yeah, I think I'm with you. I definitely think that they should have taken him out of that game because you could tell even even you know, more so than this Cam Rosing safety, they weren't doing anything with him in that game right there. I really felt watching that game that Isaac Wilson, even though I thought he's been rough to start the year, he probably gave him a better chance to win that game than what Cam Rising was showing out there. So yeah, I'm with you, just for from an from a results perspective and from a safety perspective, Cam Rosing should not have been allowed to finish that game.
Speaker 1: So you know, what coach wit has really built his resume on is a tough, rugged, physical football team that can run the football and stop the run regardless of who's under center. So my guess is, Max, It's going to look a lot like some of the old school teams like Cameron has been brilliant when he's been healthy, but there were a lot of you know, there were some years with a Brian Johnson, Tyler Huntley was really good in twenty nineteen, but there were also you know, Jordan Wyn, Travis Wilson, good tough quarterbacks, but ultimately an offense that was run heavy in a defense that was dominant. Do you anticipate now that Isaac's under center moving forward it's going to look a lot like that where they're going to rely on running back in Mackay Bernard, who has established himself as a bellcow, an offensive line who's really good, and then hope the defense because the defense is giving up five yards per rushian conference. This is not just an offensive issue. But moving forward with Isaac under center, is that the type of attack you anticipate?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I would like, I said Isaac Wilson, not sertainly. He's a great passer, just yet it's very young into his career. He's obviously a true freshman, so we'll see. And he's a four star recruit coming out, so he's definitely a talented kid. But the run game is where Utah is gonna be relying on the rest of the year. They've been really good running back of cobit Ard, and right now Utah actually leads the power for in run blocking grade this year. So Utah's offensive line has been you know, really kicking button taking names honestly in the run game. So yeah, that's probably where I would go with for the rest of the For the rest of the year is really really rely on that run game. And then defensively, You're right, they have to step up better. I mean they have not played great defensively. I mean camp Scataboo too great against him. The run d has not been great all year. Yeah, they definitely got to play a lot better and and tackle a lot better. Honestly. Defensively something the coverage unit is pretty good, but other than that, the pass rush has not been great. The run defense has not been great. The front seven in general has not really played great. I think the secondary has played really well, but other than that, I think that the defense deve has to do a lot better upfront.
Speaker 1: So the silver lining last Utah thing, move on to some other college football topics. Over Lining is my guess, max is there will be at least one or maybe multiple teams in the Big Twelve Championship with multiple losses. I don't think Iowa State or BYU were staying clean all year. I could be wrong, certainly, and that means really there's still everything on the table now they'd probably have to run the table. Right, So six games left, I think they're gonna be favored in every game. I'm not sure because they do have BYU and Iowa State, but both those games are in Salt Lake TCU Saturday, then it's Houston.
Speaker 2: They close the season at UCF. Just what do you think it looks like the rest of the way.
Speaker 1: Is there a chance they could get all six and maybe still have something to say about a Big Twelve championship when it's all said and done.
Speaker 3: It's tough, you know, now that Isaac Wilson's guarantee to be the starter of the rest of the year. I'm thinking more like a seven and five season for Utah right now looking at them. So, yeah, I think you mentioned I mean that the BYU game yet it is in Salt Lake. But BYU has looked really, really good this year. Iowa States looked really good this year, and then that's the home for Utah as well. And then at Colorado. That's not easy, right Colorad. I don't think I don't even know if Utah will be favored. Probably wouldn't favor Utah in the Colorado game right now the way Colorado's looking, So yeah, I think with Isaac Wilson guarantee to be the start of the rest of the year, I don't really know if they would be favored in a few of those games. So yeah, I think we're talking more about a seven and five type of year for Utah. And I'm not really thinking they're much of a Big twelve contender right now, but they definitely could be if iain Wilson plays a lot better.
Speaker 1: So you reference by U, the best team in the state might be about forty miles down south. And you know what's interesting, Max, and I know you know this, but Kline Satake, their head coach, Aaron Rodgers, their offensive coordinator, and Jay Hill their defensive coordinator, all either played or coach to Utah and often talk about.
Speaker 2: Coach Wit as a mentor. They're using the Utah ethos.
Speaker 1: They're like out Utah in Utah right now because they're causing havoc plays. The defense is good, the offense has been better than expected, but their bread and butter is their physicality, and they're creating turnovers and therefore putting their offense and advantageous situations. I think a lot of people have questions, but I think at this point those questions have been answered. As we sit here with BYU at six and oh overall and three and zero in conference, what stands out most to you?
Speaker 3: Yeah, with stands out to me that they do only have a clear weakness right now. I wouldn't say there's a really like a superstar on BYU that's really carrying the team right now. There's a really well rounded team that you're looking at. So I've been really impressed by what they've done so far. Obviously, they've probably been the biggest surprise in college football as a school that we thought would win four or five games going into the year. Now they've already surpassed that with a six and l record. Yeah, I think we were talking about like the ten and two type of year for BUYU, which is something that I never thought what we'd be talking about before the year. Yeah, they're definitely a legitimate Big twelve contener right now.
Speaker 1: So Oklahoma State rolls into Provo Friday Night, and it's you know, every year the media has a lot of misses. I don't think I remember a year where the media had as many misses in a conference as the media has had this year. Okay State I think pick to finish third by the media, and I think the Vegas odds favorite them right behind Utah and k States also finished third.
Speaker 2: They're bad and they do not have a conference win.
Speaker 1: Utah went to Stillwater and beat them with Isaac Hunters center, that win doesn't look as good as it did then because they've lost a couple of games since then. They are coming in off a bye byu Is in nine point favorite.
Speaker 2: Max.
Speaker 1: If I told you before the season started Oklahoma State was going to roll in a provo and they were gonna be almost a double digit dog, you would have thought I was crazy, But that's where we're at.
Speaker 2: You what do you think happens on Friday Night?
Speaker 3: Yeah? I think buy is gonna win that game. Honestly, you're right. Oklahoma State has been really disappointing this year. Ali Gordon in particular, has been really disappointing this year. They didn't have a good offensive line last year, but he still was really really good. They still don't have a good offensive line this year, and he's really struggled, honestly. He seems like he lost a step from what he had last year, which is a really sad thing to see because he really wasn'tna be the guy who's gonna drive them to Victor. Why he's like he did last year, he just can't do that this year. So now you're talking tout Oklahoma State team, and I think it's like fifty to fifty whether or not to make a bowl game this year, honestly, which is kind of surprising based on a team that made it all the way to the Big Twelve title game last year. Brought back a lot of key players like Oli Gordon, like Alan Bowman, like all five starters in the offensive line. Even though I said it wasn't really that good, he still brought back all five starters. Some key defensive players as well came back and they're still struggling out there, honestly. So yeah, I just Oklahoma State has not been great. And I think you're talking about more like a five and seven, six and six team than like a ten and two team, like a lot of people thought they were going into the year.
Speaker 1: The following day, Utah welcomes in TCU, former Mount West Conference rival. These two teams are familiar with each other from way back in the day. The line opens favoring the Utes by a touchdown. It's moved to four and a half after the Cameron Rising news and TCU I think a lot of people picked them as a team maybe on the outside looking in. That could have shocked a few people, but it hasn't worked out that way. They've lost three of their last four, including a home loss to Houston. Do the Utes get it done Saturday night? With Isaac Wilson under center? Can they get a little bit of a get right game on Saturday Night?
Speaker 2: Max? They could?
Speaker 3: Yeah. I think with Isaac Wilson it's gonna make it a really interesting because I think with Isaac Wilson, they're kind of near what TCU probably is right now. But yeah, I think I think it would be a really fun game on Saturday Night. But I'll give you Ta the Splight edge because they are home and that home environment is one of the best in college football. So I'll give you to the Splight edge. But it would not be surprising to me if if TCU goes in there win that game.
Speaker 1: B YU, Iowa State, Texas Tech all clean atop the rankings, k State, Arizona State, who was picked to finish last, deserves some flowers here. Kenny Dillingham five and one, two and one in conference, Cincinnati, Colorado, West Virginia all with one loss as well, So several teams still alive to win the Big twelve.
Speaker 2: Max. Who do you think at the end of the day is going to be left stand?
Speaker 3: Oh? Good question, man. I just see what would be what you's doing this year, and it's hard to like really pick against them. I don't know if they really are the best team in the conference. I know I want to go with Kansas State. I think Kansas State is probably the school that I would go with. I really think it's wide open conference in America right now, But I think Kiss States has a really they know who they are, honestly. Their identity is more solid than pretty much any other identity in the country. They know exactly who they are good and bad honestly, So I feel most solid in them and what to expect from them every week. I don't feel good about taking them to win the entire conference, right now, But yeah, I think they definitely have a pretty solid shot of winning it. But I think Iowa State's right there. Are think BUI use up there as well. It's the most wide open conference Bryde and college ball right now.
Speaker 1: Most of the projections that I've seen or things that I've heard college football experts, what have you believe that only the Big Twelve champ will gain access to the CFP. Is there a chance the Big Twelve could see more than one, maybe two teams and the expanded twelve team CFP or do you think it's the champion that's all.
Speaker 3: No, I think it's just a champ. I think maybe they're cannibalize themselves, honestly, and I think you're gonna have, you know, a couple of maybe two loss teams. Maybe maybe you get a one loss team in the Big Twelve title game and then maybe if they lose at two teams in. But I think you probably only get one team out of the Big Twelve ving just because it's such a wide open conference and they're gonna beat up by each other honestly, like a lot what the Pac twelve did to each other a couple of years ago in the four team era. I think you kind of see the same kind of thing in the Big Twelve this year because there is not a clear cut best team in those conference. So yeah, I'm pretty sure the winner of the conference title game is probably the only team we'll get in.
Speaker 1: You did reference that you think Utah will be an underdog when they hit the road to go to Boulder to play Colorado.
Speaker 2: You're probably right about that. We'll see what happens between now and then.
Speaker 1: But feels like Dion has answered a lot of questions of his own and they're playing a much better brand of football. That Case State game was really entertaining. They ultimately lost, but they've won three or four and they've got a two and one conference record. Are you buying what appears to be tangible improvement down in Boulder?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I am. I think they really improved the run defense. It's just something that they really needed to improve from last year. And yeah, I think they have some of the best talent in the conference. I think sure Doris Sanders is the best quarterback in the conference, bar none. I think Travis Hunter is the best player in the conference, bar none. Yeah, they have a lot of talent in that roster. Right now, So they have the opportunity to really emerge if they just keep winning these games. And they came really close to being Kansas State, which really would have established themselves as a real threat to win the entire conference. I still think this is a really good team in that conference right now. We'll see what they do with Arizona this weekend, but yeah, I think Colorado is for real. I don't think it's the four and eight team that we saw.
Speaker 2: Last year before I saw you loose Max.
Speaker 1: What questions did Dan Lanning and Oregon answer last weekend with that win over Ohio.
Speaker 3: State, Yeah, they can win the big one. I think it's got to approved right there. And Dan Lanning and his team and obviously is one of the best in the country, and that offense showed why we thought it was the best offense in the country entering of the year. So yeah, Dan Lanning answered a lot of big questions because obviously he lost some big games in his ten years so far, specifically to Washington, and now he's proven that he could win those big games right now, So yeah, credited him and credited that offense, and they really showed why they're legit national title contender right now.
Speaker 1: Max, thanks for the time, man, keep up the good work and we'll chat soon. Max Chadwick pro football focused hosts there at College Football Show. You can get them on Twitter at CFB Max Chadwick