Speaker 1: So we mounted up, did a quick scan. We're like, all right, let's go. Came up with our soul plan and my support by fire position that was being provided by the infantry. Never underestimate the enemy. They pumped two mortar rounds onto that to knock them out as they saw us driving in, so they had to displace and now I had no support by fire. We had no air support. At the time. There was stumb pulling in on the overhead. It was just like a confluence and stuff. So now we drive down at this compound and as soon as we get there, we are in the base. Murk Murphy's loss. As if your attack is going well through an ambush, Well, my attack went swimmingly because I was at the base of a U shape ambush and they were hammering us inside of one hundred yards. The RPG round bounced off the hood of my truck. I don't know what it just and it blew up behind us. My guys dismounted and started doing fire re maneuver bounds to these guys in trench lines and they're throwing grenades on the age. Oh my god. Well, I think it scared the shit out of the enemy because they're like, these guys are crazy. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Hey guys, it's your pal Jack. I just want to take a moment to tell you about the sponsor for this show, which is Stopbox. Stop Box makes this very cool box to secure your items in where your valuables or weapons could be a firearm, knife, things that you want to keep away from kids. Opens up like so, and the way it locks is very interesting, and you can change the combination by the way, so you have these actuators on the side, and in this case for demonstration purposes, the code is to hold down the index finger and pointer finger and then come over and there's a thumb.
Speaker 1: Hit that and it opens up. So that's the code.
Speaker 2: And this thing is proudly made in the us of A, so they keep the quality very high. It's also TSA compliant, so you can throw this in a bag and travel with it. And Stopbox also offers a range of other innovative products, including their vehicle safe chamberlock and other essential gear designed to keep you prepared and protected wherever you are. For a limited time only, our listeners are getting a crazy deal. Not only do you get ten percent off your entire order when you use the code House at STOPBOXUSA dot com. But they are also giving you a buy one, get one free for their Stopbox Pro. That's ten percent off and a free Stopbox Pro when you use the Code House at STOPBOXUSA dot com. Discover a better way to balance security and readiness with Stopbox.
Speaker 1: Special Operations. Cobert Spi and The Team House with your hostess, Jack Murphy and David Park.
Speaker 2: Hey everyone, this is episode three hundred and forty two of The Team House. I'm Jack Murphy here with our guest in studio today, Ivan Ingram. I'ven't had a career in the Marine Corps, served in recon Force recon MARSK and then some Jaysock assignments.
Speaker 1: There's a lot to talk about here.
Speaker 2: You're also an author, written a series of books, The Patrol, Dream Job. What are some of the others, twenty two and Athena. Okay, those are the ones that are out now. He has more in the works.
Speaker 1: Evan, thanks for joining us, coming in studio today, pleasure.
Speaker 2: So you know the question I ask everyone about their origin story, If you can tell us a little bit about you know, how you grew up and how that took you towards the Marine.
Speaker 1: Corps kind of by accident. I'm from Maryland. My father was a colonel in the Army as an army psychologist, and he wrote a book called The Boys in the Barracks, which is a study of the Army's morale and a lot of the leadership issues that the organists that the Army is an organization, encountered after Vietnam. And while while what he found was a bit frustrating for the Army to read writ large because of the racism, drug problems, lots of insubordination, many issues that were plaguing you know, a unit or a force that had come out of protracted combat and just was really bad morale. He and his research team looked at Special Forces units, Army green berets to kind of understand why they didn't face the same issues. They might have had them same, you know, in some areas, but not nearly across the force the way that the Army did. And so they were looking at ways to harness that which functioning units with good morale and good leadership were working so that they could actually try and export that to the larger United States Army. So, as I was growing up, that was the world in which I was living, and I got to meet a lot of Special Forces veterans because of the people he was interviewing or people who were helping with some of the projects he was working with or working on, and the people he was working with. And then on the other side of that, my mother was a professor of English expository writer expository writing teacher at Howard University. So I grew up in a house We're writing. That was something that both of my parents did, and I kind of eschewed the military lifestyle, even though I was very into military history and I loved going to museums and things like that. I grew up in Europe for a time. I got to travel all around and go to different battlefields and young kid, that was just a great way to grow up. So then when I went to college, I played lacrosse in college, and when I was getting out or finished that and decided, Okay, I'm gonna go into the civilian workforce, I just kind of had this nagging desire to serve or do something more adventurous, and so I really wanted to be a law enforce, major federal law enforcement agent. So I looked at the marshals, I looked at diplomatic security. FBI can proudly say I was turned down by all of them, and I kind of I asked, like, why, what's going on? What do I need? And they just say, this is the nineteen nineties. You need experience and you need a little more seasoning. So their recommendation, some of the law enforcement agents I was talking to, just joined the military and get some experience, get your resume built, and then reapply. You're young enough that you can do that. So I did join the Marine Corps. And what year is this. I was in nineteen ninety seven, and my father being an army officer, after I signed the paperwork, I don't know if you think I thought I was gonna do it, because I came to his house in December of ninety seven and my father was recovered alcoholic. He hadn't had a drink of whiskey in years. As a bourbon guys, I could drink a Bourbon tonight, so that's that's only fitting. And he had this bottle of jim Beam that he that he kept with the cork still in it from his last drink, and he kept that on his desk for like just a reminder like, I don't do this. And so I showed up to his house and I said, Dad, you know I did it. I joined the Marine Corps. He had this passion look on us. So he's like, oh my gosh, like you really okay again, you said you're gonna do it, you did it. I guess this calls for a drink, and I said, Dad, you don't, you know, don't drink. He goes, it's not for me. So I probably had a drink from the last sip of the bottle that he had, and I guess he passed on that legacy. But he wasn't lying when he said that, so passed on the torch he did. I mean, he's like, you're gonna, you're gonna this, and so, yeah, I had I was lucky to have him as a as a resource for learning about leadership, about officership, about followership, about just the dynamics of what it is to be inside of a military organization. Of course, they have to do it yourself.
Speaker 2: And I'm a military psychologist at that well, that had its own, like its own own challenges, but of course, yeah, I mean I was at that point.
Speaker 1: I was just as the Marine Corps said, you know, he's working together with Gung Ho. I was, I was. I was into it. I wanted to be part of this. I thought, this is going to be great. I'll do my four years and uh, inside that four years, I'm going to try and do as much as I can in then or five years. And then So you came in as an officer I did. I went to OCSH. I was. I was probably recruiters like absolute dream because I didn't ask a whole lot of questions and I was just like, all right, when when do I get set up? And they, oh, well, we don't get guns too too quick, just hang on, just hang on, buddy. Am I going to jump school soon? Or like an easy guy? So a lot of things I had to learn about the process, but ultimately I was, I was you know, motivated. Motivation will get you through a lot, as we know. So I hope that at least gives you know, the beginning of the context we can expand on that everything.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, so you come in as an officer, go to o CS. I. I mean what I don't In the Army they call it a branch. I don't know if they call it the same thing in the Marine Corps. What did you kind of branch into what was your basic course?
Speaker 1: So marine marine officers will generally be sourced from either r OTC slash what's called me SEP Marine Enlisted Commissioning Program, so that sort of people can come up through Frank Gold that kind of thing exactly. But again that's tied to some sort of established ROTZI naval Rozzi program, you know, with the university or o c S. And then of course the Naval Academy is its own, its own provider and everyone once you're commissioned, regardless of your source. So I just did OCS ten straight weeks over the winter with some very caring staff. I mean they were they were wonderful, They were very attentive, made sure that I understood how to be a marine right right off the bat. You never forget your drill instructors. And if anyone says they were a marine and can't name their drill instructors right away, no matter how long ago it was, they weren't, they didn't do it. So Gunnytown staff Start and Carpenter and Sergeant Torres wherever you are, left an impression on your young mind. Yeah, I would say we're probably the three of the most interesting men I've ever met in my life. So, but yeah, so you go through OCS and then after that you go what's called to the basic School, which in the army equivalent would be kind of like Bullock, but you're not you're not getting actual branch training. So in my case, everyone goes to the basics school for six months, whether you're an aviator or you're.
Speaker 2: Sort of teaching you like Marine Corps mission planning and that kind of thing, just the basics of being in a rifle squad and carrying a machine gun and got you.
Speaker 1: It's it's not it's not easy training. I mean, you're you're doing all kinds of life fire arranges and they just teach you, they say every marine or riflemen, but they want every officer to be able to lead troops. And you may never touch this again. You could go to supply or you know, controller or what have you and not putting down anybody's mos. But so when you talk about your the military occupational specialty is what you get assigned. And when I joined I sat and took the naval aviator test and the results were such that they said I could fill one up with gas. But I wasn't going to fly one, so I had to do something else. And they were like, well, there's a lot of loud, hot jobs in the Marine Corps ivan and maybe you'd be an infantryman because you're big and you can carry a lot of shit, so maybe that's for you. And I was like, oh, yes, I was good carry guns and like went run through the trees. And then when I was there, I met guys who had been in the me set program, who had been in Force Reecun and they started telling me, like, I really didn't know that much about that side of it, and they started telling me about Force week On and their time in it, and all of a sudden, I was like, that's where I want to go. And you had to be an infantry officer at the time, or a ground intelligence officer, scott sniper, poteam commander to really be considered for those jobs, and that rubbed off on you fast. Oh yeah. And these guys were also they were fit that they carried themselves a little bit differently. They like, there's a lot of bullshit in the military, and they just seemed to be able to transcend it, Like it just seemed like they had it a better. You know, one of my very good friends that I served with him he just retired, was just a little behind me. Of course, he made it a colonel. I didn't quite catch him, but he you know, he was the first guy that I really met who had done that, and I was I thought, okay, like, this is this is a culture, this is what kind of a thing I'd like to be a part of. And I really didn't know that much about it. But you first had to get to the fleet, and you first had to be an infantry officer. So after I finished the basic school, I then went to ten weeks of Infantry Officer course, which I haven't been to rangers, but it is very much like ranger school and that you're just doing lots of mission dynamic planning and it's all officer based. You're leading your peers and learning how to do it. The Infantry Officer course, it produces a very good light infantry leader. Now it's even I think even better because they do a lot more call for fire. They talk about combined arms and ways that were evolved as a result of the GWATT and just the experiences they had. So it's as far as the Marine Corps writ large hat in combat in both Afghanistan and Iraq, so they've improved that incrementally. But back then it was very still, very tough, very dynamic training.
Speaker 2: And back in these days in the nineteen nineties, the Marine Corps wasn't a part of Special Operations Command and they didn't have a presence there. And I mean, I'm going to like trigger some people when I say this, but like Force Recon and Recon really kind of was like the Special Ops of the Marine Corps, even if it wasn't technically on paper. And those guys were I mean, I think they were on par with Seals, Rangers, green Berets. I mean, they were highly trained, motivated dudes.
Speaker 1: I agree. I mean the pipeline. Once I I went to I was assigned the first Marine Division, first Marine Regiment, first Battalion, fourth Marines in Camp Pendlen, California. By far, one of the best assignments I've had, even still of all the pictures and stuff I have on the wall my the one of my my first inverts of Patoon just it. I had a great time across my career and I got to be part of some really strependous units. But like you never forget your first and these guys.
Speaker 2: Take us, take us into that your your first p L assignment with the infantry.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I was really well, you know, my first day I showed up. We didn't have even the fire watch metal. We didn't even have the eggs and I mean the ketchup and mustard metal back then, because there was no war, there was no service. So I literally the only thing I had going into going for me on my uniform was the fact that was a double expert. I could had the expert rifle and expert pistol. And there's the only two badges hanging on my my my service aufhas and that's what you checked into the regiment in And I went down to one four and as I was coming in, a staff sergeant was coming out and he's liked, whoa, so where are you going? I said, oh, I'm going in to check in. He goes, now like that you're not. He reached up and he fixed my tie, which I guess had come, you know, a skew while I was sitting in the car, So that already I've got it. Steffencio's you know, helping me out. And this really green lieutenant. So I walk up the stairs and I go to see the executive officer and he's the major and he's his grim face like angry dude. He's sitting there liking like this. I don't know whether it knock on the hatch or whatever. So he looks up and he goes, who are you? I said, my name's a Tenor Ingram, and he goes, I get in here, and he reaches out like this with his hand. So I walk over to say. He said, goes, I do't want to shake your fucking hand. Give me your o QR. It was off for qualification right the jack. And I'm like, oh, yes, sir, I guess this is how you know welcome. So I haven't even been in this building for ten minutes. I already had that fixed and now he's given me the business. He goes, you haven't done shit. You don't no shit. You're going to Charlie Company. Get downstairs, and that was it. So I was like, where's Gunny Highway? Like this this is nuts? Since I walked back downstairs and as I'm coming down the passageway that's what we called you guys call it a hallway, coming down the passageway, I see the Charlie Company offices and out comes my first platoon Sergeant Pat Reddick, and he's like, we heard you were coming. Thank god you're here. And I said, why, this is great, what a welcome man. I've had a rough rough morning already. He goes, well, we got five marines right now who are under investigation for a congruine and here's their defense packages. And by the way, we got to go see the Battian commander tomorrow afternoon. So I was taking care of it. But now that you're here, you've got it. So that was my first day in the infantry. I had five you know, guys under charges and one dude who requested court martial. And I was I was standing for the hazing l that a whole went to thing going on, and I was like, wait a minute, the basicsool. They didn't talk about any of the stuff, like we were talking about two up and one back, infantry attacks and all this other stuff. I was like in a helo company, cocktor company. So I was like, we're gonna go faster oping, We're gonna do all this up. Sure. Platoon had like some Jack Nicholson, you can't handle the truth. Yeah kind of like that. Yeah. Yeah, they just got back from deployment and got a new new shipment of boots from from uh MC frams Sy School of Infantry and the Yellow The old guys decided they want to tell the young guys what's up, and so then there was a problem. So that's how I was introduced to the Fleet Marine Force and uh, from that point forward, I was like, okay, the I'm in a different world. So had your court martials get uh the one guy, Oh, let'saly not yours, because I wasn't court martial that was there to observe. The one guy beat it, uh and actually hitded up going to First Force recon Company. Now that I think about it, the other guys all requested, you know, they they took their n JP and UH and moved on. Yeah, we went, we went through it, and I still talk to my battalion can entered this day. John Holden was his name. In fact, he had a great command climate and it was it was a great unit to be a part of. I kind of regret that that he didn't get to take that unit to war because see, just a bad timing of of of of everything.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 1: But he was a dynamic leader. He really cared for his people, and he was a good good mentor. And uh and he told me years later, he was like, that was a tough way to come into the sure, you know, to join h to join us.
Speaker 2: And so otherwise, I mean, how did like, from a leadership perspective, how did you push your platoon past that? I mean, you walked in big bag of shit. You get handed, Well, you have to.
Speaker 1: I've always said this regardless of unit, because believe me, I got in us, Like you want this guy he's a ship back or hey, you know, this guy's got problems. And I try to give everybody the benefit of the doubt. And by nature I am kind of a judgmental person. I am a judgmental person for someone right now is like kind of like I can be. And so I was like, everybody gets a clean, clean slate, And whatever adjudication happened, it was not mine decided, and it didn't happen while I was here, even though I inherited it. So, yes, you're responsible. But on the other side, now we can grow, We're gonna have to. And some of these guys again actually found that they were pretty creative and some of these guys. You know, My father, being a psychologist at one time, asked him like, hey, Dad, you know, how do I get to know my guys? Like what should I find a way to get some sort of personality tests for them? And he's like, well, you don't how to review any of that shit anyway, Like this is all clinical. He's like, just get a keg up here and lock the door. About two hours later, you're gona figure out who everybody is. And he was right. So I went in and I was like, all right, because I had a bunch of I had hoodlums, I had gang bangers. I had guys who were on work release who are a tough group of guys. They're from all over the country. And I was like, all right, I'm not gonna turn anybody in, but you know who knows how to boost a car? And these guys are all looking at her like I said, come on, who knows how to you know who knows how wire stuff? Who knows how to drive drive stuff? And starts these hands going up. It's like the reason I'm asking is because if we go to a really shitty place, I needed people who can get things, and they're like, oh wow, he's a bank robber. This is gonna be great, like I've you know, But I mean that was the mindset you had to have because you didn't know where you're going to serve or anything, and you had to figure out ways to capitalize upon strengths and also build a little bit of trust.
Speaker 2: And it was the nineteen nineties in Marine Corps. You guys weren't getting funding, you weren't getting new.
Speaker 1: Kit, and a lot of people we weren't getting a lot of action either. We had like three guys in the entire battalion had a Combat Action Room, which is the cib S Combat Action Magic equivalent, like the old sergeant majors and stuff. Well, the regimental sergeant major had been in Vietnam. He's one of the last serving Vietnam veterans at that point in time. But we're talking like guys from Bosnia, gotcha, Our company gunny had been in Somali. Our company commander actually had been in Somali in the later or the early stages of it before you know, the Marine Corps was there before kind of black Hawk down took over. So the initial push these so these there are people who had some experience, but you did not have this this large population, this baseline of people that you could rely upon, in fact, combat veterans, you know, seeing what my platoon was doing with hazeing would just think that was a joke at this point. So you're right, there was nothing else to do.
Speaker 2: And so I want to take a minute today to tell you guys about the Perfect Gene. I've been wearing them for a few weeks now and really enjoy them, and I just want to share it with our audience. You know, sometimes jeans have this problem where you know, you guys all have seen these skinny jeans that they like crush your balls and you know it's just not comfortable to wear or the other way around. Jeans are like too baggy. You know, you have this sort of like diaper in your ass area looks like. So there are these problems that you know, different fits of different types of genses have and the Perfect Gene strives to fix that, both the fit but also the mobility, the maneuverability. It has a stretchy fabric, like they say it's like yoga ready, but you know I would say it's athletics ready, you know, moving furniture, doing things around the house. You're not going to have that like super tight, like constricted fit that you feel like you're not.
Speaker 1: Gonna be able to move around in.
Speaker 2: And there are over four hundred thousand people out there wearing these jeens at this point, so not all of them can be wrong. I hope you guys will go and check them out. So a few scenarios where you can wear these genes and where they really come together, everything from you know, doing yard work or doing things around your house, if you have to move furniture around or you have to do handy work. They're perfectly comfortable, but you can wear them, you know, getting your man spread on on the subway if that's your thing. So the Perfect Gene is great for all kinds of different environments, whether it's doing handy work around the house or on the job or athletics. And we really hope you guys will go and check them out. For a limited time, our listeners get fifteen percent off their first order plus free shipping at the Perfect Dot NYC. Or google the Perfect Gene and use the code house fifteen for fifteen percent off. That's fifteen percent off for new customers at the Perfect Gene dot NYC with promo code House fifteen. After you purchase, they'll ask you where you heard about them, Please support our show and tell them we sent you so fuck your kakis and get the perfect gene. Did you guys get you know, not combat deployment probably at that point, but did you guys get deployed? They like to go out with the fleet and all that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we did. We were assigned to what's called a Marine Expeditionary Unit, which is about a regiment slash brigade sized organization. I say brigade because it's it's slightly bigger than a regiment. It's fully supporting a board amphibious shipping with I mean at the time, it deployed with tanks, it has its own air support, it has its own artillery. It's an organic fighting organization. And so when a MEW and I was on fifteenth W, you know, you could go ashore and do all kinds of stuff, anything from humanitarian ops to full scale combat, and it's all launched from shipping. So it was on the fifteenth MW we did. It was called a westpac Western Pacific, and back then it was like there were liberty crewises. Honestly, we were pulling into these great ports in Australia. Australia. Yes, we went to Hong Kong, we went to Singapore. We did do some time during part of operations Southern Watch as far as just border security in Kuwait, but you're not doing active combat ops. I did combat operations in East Timore that we were not. Yeah, that had just started to simmer down. But we went to board or went ashore there helping to establish really get the country back on its feet because it had been in a huge civil war at that point.
Speaker 2: I mean, I know the Ausis were all over that, but I have to admit I'm pretty naive about the United States military being over there.
Speaker 1: Well, by the time we got there, the Aussies had really already the team more and Tigers as they called them. They'd gone up on the border. And in fact I met Dave Coling years later that's where he had been his he had got his combat time. I always sadaficle cul and stole my combat because he got there first as a NAUSI. But it was still an active combat zone and we were flying missions in there. But we're doing a lot of humanitarian aid trying to get infrastructure back up and running case in point for the infantry. They come to me and they say, hey, Ivan, there's this road that hasn't been cleared to this village in this one part part of the highlands in East Timoor, and we need your guys to go in there and pull security until we can get heavy equipment mechanics in there to fix the bulldozer and like, so you go in there and do that, And I was like, well, why would I do that. I got squad leaders. So I grabbed a squad leader in the staff's are and I say, hey, man, you're going to go in there.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 1: This this through shock waves through the mew. They were like, oh my god, he's I was not leading these guys on the ground Like what I got. This is what we're supposed to do, Like this is how this You have to delegate, but this is what it's meant to do. It's not that it's beneath me or I'm above it. It's that I have very quality staff in cdios and the right people. So remember what I asked about, you know, guys learn how to bullshit. We task organized the squad to go in there for very specific purposes. Rapport all this stuff, and they fly in and originally they were gonna come have a H fifty three to giant helicopter come and like pick this bulldozer up that had stopped in clearing this road and then move it to a spot that they equipment mechanics could could work on it because it was in this really kind of precipitous area. I meanwhile, the Marines were going to hold security so that these guys didn't get messed with. But if by perhaps if these the tamories, you know, tigers came back, which they probably weren't going to do because the Ausies were all up in the highlands taking care of them anyway. And so my guys go in in like day one. They're just tinkering with the bulldozer and they get it fired up and then they just clear the road all the way up. Like the missions done, you can come get us. And when we showed up, so I flew in to watch this, and as we show up, they're playing soccer with the kids, and like, I'm like, this is exactly the building rapport. We got the mission done at all? Yeah, it's all it's like, so you just let the Marines be creative and they'll figure it out and the huge lessons learn huge leadership lesson learning there those Rabbronis knew how to bulldozer. Yeah, Twente was a gang banger for San Antonio. And he used to carry this picture in his pocket of him in a hairnet and like he was like literally out of central casting with uh his flannel shirt and a shotgun under his arm. I'm like now, and you know now he's a marine sergeant, squad leader of the ionsight, So yeah, I mean, you don't forget guys like that. Yeah, well, and so we did. So we did do that. We did that. Deployment was six months and then we came back after.
Speaker 2: And they say being an officer as your job to identify the talent in your platoon and figure out how to use them.
Speaker 1: Right and and have have faith. And that's I think that's a critical part we'll probably get into a little later. It's just kind of it's not so much risk aversion, because you know, commanders will risk you to do whatever they need to do, but it's about confidence and whether they you'll get it done. And it's in many ways, as we get deeper into the discussion, it's about branding.
Speaker 2: So what comes after fleet? What's the next step for you? You have Ricon already rattling around in the back of your mind somewhere.
Speaker 1: And my battalion Commander John Holden had been a recon guy, and in fact, he had been the Marine Detachment oh SE at Fort Benning. So any recon person who came through there, who went to jump school, we didn't have a lot of exchange with Army USUFIC, the Army SF Command, but with Big Army i e. The Rangers and the Ranger School. He would just basically help the Marines get to there and through there, so he ranger qualified. He'd been in recon. And I took the recon selection test before I went on deployment.
Speaker 2: Okay, so I could come back like tests you mean, like a written exam or it was a physical oh okay, physical test and like an actual selection yeah.
Speaker 1: And my actual selection got yeah and a board interview and they were like, yeah, okay, you can come on, but you could get through your deployment. And then when I was on deployment, Holden came to meeting just say, hey, we're doing the slate for officers and stuff, and you still want to go to recon, right, that's what you want to do. I said, yeah, it goes okay. And so when I got home, I had orders to first recon and so yeah, I kind of leaned into setting myself up I wanted at the time, I was like, I want, I'd rather be in First Force because First Force had the direct action mission I had deployed on our me. You was the mew that that forced recon. Pultoon unfortunately had that tragic action on the uss P coost or the forty seven that you may have seen this this footage years ago of a forty six going over on it's back and seven seven marines uh and sailors were killed on that. So that that was a very tragic situation, particularly you know, small unit like force recon that that hits really hard. They had to reconstitute that unit, rebuild it. I learned a lot watching that happen as well. Uh. Bob Coates was the was the leader years ago Debt CEO who one Debt one CEO. John Daily good friend of mine work with and you've interviewed him. And then Eric Kapatulik was the was the platoon commander and that was sort of the larger than life guy. So you know in that in that world on the mew, that's who I was gravitating towards. But Forced at the time only had five plultuons and they didn't have any room. So I went to recon because I just wanted to get behind the water, get in there any way you can. So it wasn't like an also ran. I just it was a different mission, different unit. When I got home, I had orders and recon.
Speaker 2: As I've people have described it to me, Recon is the green side. They do the sol like long range for connaissance patrols and the Force and Force recon of course is the DA mission that you alluded to, right.
Speaker 1: That's probably the biggest differentiator. Yeah. Force also was able to lean further into deep penetration reconnaissance stuff, so they did a lot more of military freefall. There were guys who had been to free fall school and we were all airborne qualified or for the most part, you know, the three twenty one, the badged. You're going to see a trend here that I'm always correlate to stuff. So but back to to recon. The training pipeline is largely the largely the same as you go to different places or different schools and different different things throughout the pipeline, but it all starts at the base of Reconnaissance Course, which is ten weeks long. That is your your your entry level school officers and enlisted to go there together. It's not like airborne school. You're just an alpha, an echo or just a number, but you serving a team. As a team, you carry a radio. As an officer, you're not you don't have separate training that kind of thing. So you go to BRC. After that you become You then go into a schools pipeline which is a jump dive seer branger if you can get it. But it's about two years if you put it all together. But if you match up all that training and there will be seals will just roll their eyes at this. If you went through the entire pipeline, you've gotten all the same training that the seals get in BUDS And that's BUDDS is much more efficient because it's just pushing everything except the underwater demolition side. Right. Yeah, you don't touch demo till later. And that's what I mean is that BUDDS is very comprehensive in the way that they do. The training SQT is also very comprehensive. And that's the problem in the recom pipeline, at least at the time when I was in there, is that you kind of did this incrementally, like hopefully you could have everything lined up and you go, you would pass it all. But if there was a deployment, right if you were going to go, if something happened, you know, anything, anything could throw you off. So I leave one four, I check into first Recon again. In my office. Now I have a couple more, a little more ribbons just from deployment. They call it the meuse stack.
Speaker 2: It's just you know, you got out there and I was on a boat.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I was on a boat. Armed Forces. We got their armed Forces expeditionary metal because we went to a combat zone. We were not you know, you know, so I got at that point I could join the Veterans of Foreign Wars, but I was you know, we're not combat marines. And so then you go into check in a ricon and it's like, oh shit, like memorabilia on the wall, like it's very tight. And you know, again what they called you if you were before you went there, they called you a roper because you would wear this static cremantle rope that you would could use for repelling but turning, you know, and that that was you wore. You wore that over your shoulder, sort of this mark of shame that you were.
Speaker 2: Not that like thick nylon green rope or black.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they didn't quibble. But I wasn't there long enough to become a roper because I got there just after my deployment and I walked in and Mike Politic, who is the they called him Iron Mike Politic because the fittest could be served the Royal Marines Exchange. He was just just a badass. And he too, is sitting over the desk like this, and I'm like, here we fucking go again, knocking the hats. Who are you? Mike was not nearly as gruff as as as my EXO at you know, in and one for and who are you was so attending and reporting his order. Oh yeah yeah, ingram Um, after this, you're gonna go oversee the XO. But right now we've got you slated for about a year's worth of schools. And in the event that you should not pass, you don't have to be honor man. But if you shouldn't pass or you quit your advert, fitness support will be waiting for you and I'll and then you'll be in the parking lot. Is there anything about what I've just told you don't understand? Like Crystal clear sor he goes go to the XO. So go to the XO checking with him. It's your BRC class starts in like nine days. You can go down and join, you know some of the swim stuff, but I hope you're ready. And I was like, Basic Reconnaissance Courses is gonna be whatever. I'm fine. I just came off a boat. I'm lifting all day in shape. I was quickly disavowed of that day one of the the entry test, which was just brutal. And then from that point forward you have just ten weeks of just thrashing and hazing in it's five phases. You've got land navigation, You've got patrolling, you have get the zodiacs and the zodiacs, you're carrying stuff on your head all running the oak course and it's run out of coront Auto and yeah, you're you're training like literally side by side with with BUD students, just port and starboards. The stuff you're doing. You're doing surf checks, fins, all kinds of stuff, and you know, so you've got a communications package. You have to learn how to work all the radios and you know, then after that you do full mission pro files and it's all green side patrolling and sketching and taking pictures and reporting, and then you have to move to extract LZ's And they were like, literally, if you don't make it to extract by the time you're supposed to, you're going to walk home. And they're not lying like the fact that the instructors almost took like this sick, you know, pleasure if somebody jacked it up, like well, but I guess we're walking all night, and they would and we would.
Speaker 2: And did the Marine Corps run their own dive school or did you go down to Key West for they do run their own dive school, Marine Combat and Divers run out of Panama City, Florida.
Speaker 1: That must have been a lot of fun. I went there after BRC. That was the next That was my second stop, and I was in phenomenal condition by all the time I got done with BRC. And then I went through a scout swimmer course and then I went to tor Or to MCD and that was another like I feel like I got hazed, like for the entire first part any time I got to airborne school was a break two and a half minutes of fun crammed into three weeks. So dive school is that all on the rebreathers. You start off in scuba, okay phase of scuba. It's a lot like Safuo And I actually later uh went to Safuo to participate in diver qualification and dive supervisor course with them, which is a lot more gentlemanly than you know, being a student. So I've been to Key West as well and Flaming Key there. But yeah, dive school is your first phase is scuba and then after that you go into under just a rebreather and there's a lot of a lot of night navigation, a lot of underwater navigation.
Speaker 2: And so they like to describe for folks out there who maybe aren't familiar, I mean, the the concept here as you guys being marine recoll marine recon, You're going to go and be the scouts for the main marine element. You're gonna swim up to the shore and do the hydrographical surveys and all that other kind of stuff.
Speaker 1: Yep, you could do that by surface if you if you wanted to, you know, as one of the options could be to do it subsurface clandestine. Certainly rebreather allows you to do that. Honestly, the Seals have a pretty good with with their stvs and a lot of the profiles that they do. They're they're very capable. They can do harbor recons and things in ways that the Marine Corps can't. But you can't be good everywhere, and the Marine Corps was very good in applying the recon forces against or the recon units against their forces and force mission. And so a good example would be if you're doing an assault and it was going to be an amphibious assault, but you still needed to have depth force. Recon could jump in well behind and establish observation posts, maybe even me calling in artillery or naval naval gunfire or air on an approaching force, while at the simultaneous to them being inserted, you'd have amphibious amphibious reconnaissance going in and setting up clearing. The not so much clearing it makes it sound like you're using engineers or something like that, but just doing the surveys and making sure that you know you can actually land and establish a bridgehead. But you know, that's a that's a very complex mission. It's a war type mission, and we did we didn't do that, and certainly as we moved into the later you know, the early part of the g WATT and then as it progressed, I think we lost a lot of that reconnaissance cape of patrol. Yeah, that patrolling is, in my opinion, is one of the baselines that you know, if your unit can patrol well, then you can you can do any because of the principle applied.
Speaker 2: So when you're in your recompleatoon, this is now we're like late nineteen nineties.
Speaker 1: I'm guessing I got there in August at two thousand, okay two thousand and I went through the training and we did a deployment. That's why I love my politic because like, we're going to do it Beatian deployment to Hawaii, because you can learn and get more out of training and good conditions than you will in bad because we expect you to be able to do it in bad conditions, which is a complete difference from when I was training with the British Sayes who were like, no, the weather needs worse. Can we get it worse than this? Like that, now we'll go do it be us the same way. Oh, it's not snowing in the North Sea, Well let's just wait for it to get really shitty and then we can get out there. I'm like, why do you guys do this to yourself? It's like, because when else, like this is when it's going to happen. Guy, And they were right, they were like, yeah, you know. I talked to a Falkland Islands veteran in parachute regimen who had been in the Sas and he said that his is fighting in the Falklands. While it was really as a light infantry wars were really really challenging. He's like, we trained so hard that when we got there it was just sort of like, all right, well we're just used to this and there's something to be said for hard training. And so I say, I'm talking about two sides of my mouth. Because we went to Ali. We had a great time, but at the same time, it was a focus on developing individual skills right right. It was really more like, hey, let's be good divers now, and then if you're good divers here we can take you into the shitty weather instead of let's just throw you into really bad conditions and then see what happens, because there are units who overstep that before and people get hurt. Sure, so he had he had a good idea for incremental training. And that's so that's March of two thousand and one, and nine to eleven is not even looming, Like we don't even know what's coming. And my platoon was wasn't even earmark yet to like be on another MEW. So I probably wasn't going to be able to take my platoon out on a deployment had nine to eleven not occurred. I was gonna just kind of do my time at my fleet time. And at that point in time, I was just like, well, I'm gonna start looking revisit the marshals, I'm gonna go back to the fl This is my this has been my plan. This is what I'm gonna do.
Speaker 2: And so where were you and the guys at when nine to eleven happened.
Speaker 1: I had come up with this. I'd come up with this plan to take my platoon to Switzerland to participate in Swiss Raid Commando, which is the Special Operations competition around Burn, Switzerland, and like I said, there's nothing going on. So we were like, we we're gonna jump into Lake Burn water jump into Lake Burn, and then we're gonna do this. We're gonna you know, we got invitations, we had country clearances, I had transportation that put together.
Speaker 2: And it is kind of rare for the Swiss to do that kind of cross training because of neutrality, you know, it does it is a sensitive issue.
Speaker 1: Well, other Marines had done it, and so we were like, well, I was like, well, when's the last time we sent a team there, Like, oh, it's been a few years. Like, well, let's do it. I mean got so I went. I went briefed the guy named James Conway, who was the first Marine Division commander later became the commandant, and I said, hey, so this is what I'm gonna do, and he said, right, okay, you're approved. I hope you represent and have a great time. That was September the ninth, So we're like literally lining up and getting everything going. And then uh my wife woke me up and said you need to come you come see this, and uh get a little motional because I I went. I went to World Trade Center today to visit, to visit a friend or to see a friend of mine. Put my my my mother in law's cousin was killed. Oh I'm not sorry. Well and there are family members who are working there who got out, so we you know, John Crow, his name is there. So I went and went and saw his name and went, you know, just it was a huge you know I did people forget how absolutely terrifying and confusing that time. Yes, and it's not just a big hole in the ground right when you go there, it's not. I mean World one World Trade Center still looks amazing as you as you walk by it. But the cost today today going down there was like visiting a battlefield. I mean, it really is hollow ground, right, And so I I come in and I'm watching this everything like we all did, unfold on TV. And at that point in time, I was like, yeah, well, just we're not going to Switzerland, like nobody knew what was going to happen. But then the phones were ringing, like hey, you need to come in. We're we're in def kond. We're drawing what we're drawing weapons. We don't know what, you know it was, it was it was a hairy time, it's.
Speaker 2: You know, I yeah, I hate to sound like an old man or something like that, but you're absolutely right that people young people today they don't understand what that was.
Speaker 1: Like.
Speaker 2: I was a senior in high school when it happened, and I mean people were fucking afraid.
Speaker 1: There was like a palpable fear in the air. And this is the this is the thing is that everyone looked to our nation's leadership and said, what are we gonna do into our military? And that's who the next look was like. And and you know, Iraq wasn't actually on the docket at that point in time. It was all Afghanistan. We had MEWS, they were out and and the next thing we know, one of our recomplatoons is on the ground in Afghanistan. There's raids happening, like there's all kinds of shit, and everybody's like, it is on, it is on. Yeah. My buddy Nate Fick, who wrote One Bull a little way, I've known him, you know, twenty so odd years. He was over there as an infantry guy and just the stuff that he was involved in, just as an infantry platoon commander, you know, as these guys start remember, but I said, we didn't have any combat, he said in his book, and we made combat. We became combat vets overnight, and all of a sudden we had a lot of combat vets and they just kept growing from there. But yeah, sitting back in the States, we didn't know what was gonna happen, et cetera.
Speaker 2: So and I mean speaking to the fear that you're like your unit's strong weapons and they're probably putting demo together and everything. Like the units did that, as I understand, a lot of it was on their own volition. Yes, they didn't get ordered. They were like just preparing, like they knew something was gonna come.
Speaker 1: The intel shop all of a sudden had a lot of work and we're like, you know, having zipper and like you know, as you know high side stuff. There weren't a lot of act not like it is now where you would get screened and you did just sort of the way you work, never mind top secret. So it was sort of like, hey, you guys need to get to work and start mining things. You need to make what networks do We had, like we didn't have the relationships that we have now between agencies, particularly at the national level. All this stuff was was brand new. We literally were just grabbing maps of Afghanistan and putting them up on the wall and me like, okay, but we got a little tax in them. You had the bear went over the mountain, you know, Dave Grawl is his name. We had a few guys come in and give PMS on their time, having you know, worked in Afghanistan in the eighties. It was the only end. It was the only information we had, and so we just didn't know. And so then from there we just went into this crazy training cycle. We were out in the desert and honing our skills with thehtory of the patrolling foot patrolling, how do you get teams in and out, you know, immediate actions drills. The training then became very very real. We're no longer doing this, you're vacation. You're getting ready for a real real world issue. Absolutely. Yeah. And so I was there for all of two thousand and one. As we went in two thousand and two, I was looking to try and stay and they don't have what's called stop loss, which would keep you in your unit, and I missed the push to Iraqa's I got orders to go to the in Fabius reconnaissance school to become the EXO, which I did want to stay in Recon. I did want to be a part of it. It beat going on recruiting or something like that. But I was really frustrated, so I missed the Generation Killed deployment. I've known many of the guys who were in Generation Killed. Rudi Reez dat Fake was a platoon commander, the guy they called the iceman, all the Bride Colvert, all these guys were people I knew. And you know, I remember the Patun commander coming in and took over my platoon.
Speaker 2: I just like.
Speaker 1: I told you, it was late Jack, late to a lot. So they went and they deployed. And I remember we were training in Key West in March of three and uh, we're out for a couple of beers and all of a sudden, CNN fleshed on and we're in the invasion and all of us we're like, can we have like twenty beers please, because like, yeah, yeah, we're a bunch of Recon guys and we're not.
Speaker 3: Even if you sleepot at night, you know just how disruptive it can be. Whether you're having trouble falling asleep, you're waking up sweating in the middle of the night, or all the above. That's where Ghostbed can help. As the makers the coolest beds in the world. Ghostbed is your go to for cooling mattresses, cooling pillows, and even cooling bedding. From their sendatuor ghost Ice fabric to patent technology that adjusts with your body temperature, Every ghost Bed mattress is designed with cooling in mind. So whether you want a plush your mattress that cushions your shoulders and hips, or a firmer option with exceptional support, your ghost Bed will keep you cool and comfortable.
Speaker 1: All night long.
Speaker 3: When you purchase a ghost sped mattress, your comfort is guaranteed. You can try out your mattress for a one hundred and one night's risk free and make sure it's the right fit for you us. They offer free shipping and most items ship within twenty four hours. If you're not sure which ghost Bed is for you, check out their mattress quiz. You'll answer a few questions and get your personalized recommendation. Or reach out to their friendly team of sleep experts for all the help you need. Even better, uh Teamhouse listeners can get fifty percent off site wide for a limited time. Just visit ghostbed dot com slash house and use code house at checkout. Again, that's ghostbed dot com slash house with code house at checkout to say the whopping fifty percent off site wide. And if you're not in the market for a mattress, check out their pillows. They're betting they have all kinds of great stuff there. So thanks to ghost bed and check them out.
Speaker 2: So, yeah, you it's three and you haven't gotten to Afghanistan or racket yet.
Speaker 1: I didn't do anything yet. Nope, Man, it would be it would be a while. Yeah, that's amazingly because I was at ARS, which is the west the East coast version of VRC on the West coast. Now they can sol it ad it all out in the West Coast at sl Y, which is better. I mean, they've got better access, better through through put. You did two schools at the time, was meant to feed like small requirements on each coast. But did you have a fear like that, like a real fear that you were going to miss the war? Of course? Yeah, I mean I now was no longer looking to become a federal law enforcement officer, like I'm going to stay in. Yeah, this is this is an opportunity you want, you want to be able to make some ass. But I was in this training command and we're training guys, and you know, the irony is that we've got a cadre of dudes who have operational experience and maybe one or two had done some combat Sierra Leone or Bosnia doing like Neo's Neo type stuff, protective stuff. The guys in Bosnia did some actual reconnaissance missions and and you know had it was real world kind of hairiness that they were doing. Not talking direct action, but they were involved in some things. And uh, I I had. I had taken over from from a guy named Doug Zambec. Yes, yes, so he's his own he's his own legend. We can talk about that. He was a very good friend of mine, was a very good friend of mine. So I'd taken over from him, and he was like, hey, man, you're entrusted with training these marines. I know that because because he was going to go to he'd got orders to what's called the now the Expedition of Warfare School at the time Amphibius Warfare School, which is a captain's level career course for the Marine Corps and then from there he was going to take an infantry company. He was like, look, I know that this is frustrating for you, but you're in charge of something very important and you need to do that job the best that you can, which is a huge leadership. And he was right. But we're cadre of guys who don't have a lot of experience. And then we start getting dudes who were in infantry in nazarea. We get guys who are part of like really legitimate ground combat operations in both Afghanistan and irakas in richment, and now they're coming in and we're teaching them how it's gonna be. Yeah, that doesn't go over. Yeah, we have a lot of credibility. So eventually we started getting some cadre that actually did have combat experience. A couple of guys, you've been shot, like, so they started I started lending it.
Speaker 2: The entire military kind of had that problem around that time frame, like three oh four, you know, ranger school, whatever it was that you had instructors who nothing wrong or against them at all, but they're suddenly having like range of battalion privates with like three combat deployments showing.
Speaker 1: Up at their school when I I went to I went to Airborne School in December of two thousand and two, and there were ranger privates walking around with mustards. Yes, because they jumped into Rhino yep with with with Kagea and so you know, I haven't even got a jump yet and these guys are you know, get out of the way.
Speaker 2: I knew a couple of guys that had two mustard stains. Yeah, yeah, from Iraq and Afghanistan.
Speaker 1: It's wild. Well, I remember asking when it was Back when I was joining the military. I went to maps and they put you through the you know, the screening, and one of the medicals mean, there was an Army medic and he he had he had jumped in Panama Ranger to combat Ranger scroll and then he had a you know, muster stained on his and I just handedly asked, how many jumps do you have? And he goes one that matters fair. Oh yeah. So you know that just being in that environment because you're in this tough guy club, but you you're not really a tough guy, and you're you're you you want that and it was it was a little bit of a self consciousness, a little bit of stuma, and so yeah, I did that from three to five, and then I very much wanted to I wanted to lead recon marines. I could have gone and become a company commander, because that's what I was an infantry officer. Doug was doing that and very successful with that. Uh they don't call him a lion of Falsiah for no reason. And uh, I said, you know what, I'm going to ask to go to Second Force and become a platun commander there and and.
Speaker 2: So that that would be your third platoon at that point. Right, is that normal or abnormal?
Speaker 1: No, that would be very abnormal. In fact, taking a platoon as a captain was to career suicide. And my my monitor, to my my detailer even told me I had to sign a He said, I'll cut your orders there if that's you want to go. I got plenty of people that need company command time. So if that's what you want to do, and they've got a job for you. I drove down there and interviewed with the commander and got a stamp, and then I came back that day. I was like, right, so you got to make your own luck, right, you got to chase it down. But if they didn't give it to me, I don't know what, Like, that's the direction I want to go, that's what you want to do. Yeah yeah, but that is that them allowing me to do that, And that decision is what set the rest of my career because I was told, like your careers over well, they didn't know what things were going to look like. So you go to force as a captain, take a platoon. Now, I've trained guys at airs who've now been to combat and come back and now they're like, oh, great, asshole, you know, welcome.
Speaker 2: Now we're into like five six all right, So what's it like landing at force?
Speaker 1: It is like the best way I could equate it is if you saw a band of brothers. It would be like checking into the one hundred and first after they got back from Normandy Salty deal. Oh my god, platoon sergeant, everybody, I couldn't well, I had. You know, you still have to be a leader, you still have to be there, but you yeah, you get this. It's not even a chip on your shoulder. You just have to try and figure out how to navigate, and you have to earn the respect. You have to earn and so go on all the way back to my first infantry unit. I kind of was like, well, I'm gonna start just like that. They all get a fair shake. Hopefully they'll give me one two. I already had a reputation within the recon community for good or for ill, and so I had to kind of almost I had to humble myself. My friend, my friend Roger Sparks, who does some really good veterans work. He's out of Alaska. He was a recon guy and then went to pj's and a Silver Star recipient, a really really great guy. Uh. When I was the first recon, he's one of my team leaders, and he's like there's a time in everyone's career where you come legit where everybody's just like okay, you've you've got what it takes, and uh, never forget that, Like when you get to these units, you've got to figure out how did how did you go about that?
Speaker 2: How did you build rapport with these guys and kind of like get that nod or handshake that like yeah, okay, this sky will work well.
Speaker 1: I had a lot of talented n CEOs. Obviously, their combat their combat experience was quite significant by that point, because they've done Afghanistan, some of them been Afghanistan and Iraq, and they were seasoned, and so I just said, all right. I sat down with the petting commander and or as as their platon commander, and I said, all right, how are we going to make this unit work? I'm here to lead it. I mean, you saw at their guidance, yeah, and I don't. But I don't have to take my shoes off and say I'm in charge, just like people already know that. But that's not what I'm here to do. And then I also went to other platoon commanders who had been involved in that for a while and said, hey, man, I'm having this is a challenge. I'm having. This is hard. What do I What do I do? You know? These people? What do I say? And it's not so much looking for validation and you're not looking for and would tell you what to do. It's just sort of like, hey, give me some GID And that's a hard thing to grab hold of. And it's hard to, like I said, to humble yourself. It's hard to kind of say, okay, this is what I don't know. And there was a lot of stuff I didn't know, and there was a lot of stuff that I could offer, and I said, all right, we'll go to figure out that blend. And so when I took them out on a patrolling exercise, they were like, what is he doing? But I did it for very specific reason to watch and see how these guys work and what do they do, and how do they move at night and what do they And then we got the kegaber and figured out the personality. My dad's legacy was right on what's going on? But no, that's interesting.
Speaker 2: I mean, you took them out on a training exercise, and it really is for you to observe them and to see how they operate so that you can kind of them mold yourself.
Speaker 1: Around them, knowing they were also watching me. Yeah, so you can't be first in everything you get me. You wish you could, You wish you were great across all areas, and.
Speaker 2: You know, but these guys are hard chargers. Yeah yeah, and you can't. You can't fool the audience. You can't feel the audience.
Speaker 1: Like you got to give him credit right in the book and the movie or whatever, and so yeah, and then after a while we got to know each other and we were getting ready actually to deploy to Iraq as part of them, you, because that's what it was at the time. And then Donald Rumsfeld came down and said, we're standing at Marsak and Brincorps figured it out and I was in the right place at the right time to be a plane co owner of Marsac when.
Speaker 2: They wow tell us about how that came about. Because one of the funnest stories about this that I heard we had an enlisted guy and I'm sorry, I can't remember his name, He's an enlisted Marine, and he said that they came he was in ricon or Force, came back from a training exercise and like the supply guy or something, met them in the parking lot and was like, yeah, you guys aren't reconn anymore. You're something called uh mansock I think it is, does Pete Perry? And everyone was just like what.
Speaker 1: I So like, I said, I was supposed to go on this MEW in October, and I had already gone to meet with the new commander, and I'd also met with the with the Infantry Battalion commander. Even though we were forced, we knew that we were going to do a lot of reconnaissance linked up with second recon which is another you know, you have the same second force just like first force, and then you had recombatalions. So we were trying to come up with, like how do we consolidate all the reconnaissance forces, which they've now they've now done as part of the Marine Corps.
Speaker 2: Okay, so it's like under a Marine Corps Special warfare kind.
Speaker 1: Of yeah, and we can go into the back and forth of who got this banded win and then who got reactive. It is, you know, the Marine Corps, the relearning organization. We know, we we learn, and then we learn a lot more and then we you know, no one ever accused us over two hundred fifty years. It's two hundred fifty year anniversary, unimpeded by progress. No one ever accused us of being particularly bright, but we dan we're hard, right, Like, So I was actually up in Quantico at the UH Breacher's course. I got a I got a slot as an officer, a very rare one UH to go to the dynamic entry you know, explosive breaching course. So I am a preacher or was. Now their preachers are going to suck this guy, like, but it's true. I was up there at the course and I got a call and they were like, hey man, you're not going to be on the mew. We don't know what's going to happen, but we Marsocks just stood up and we're all now in marsok. And so when you get back, just stand by. So we didn't know what it was going to look like. We know that we were now falling under SOCOM. But they brought in auditors to our arms rooms, our supply and to your point of like, we didn't have any gear, We didn't have anything that this is where we're working on a shoe stream budget. SOCOM came in and looked at our weapons and looked at all of our stuff, and we're like, how have you guys been doing this? You're so poor. You actually don't know how poor you are, like, and.
Speaker 2: They were concerned about like interoperability and things like that.
Speaker 1: Commonality of gear, Like we didn't have PVS fifteen's, you know, the two barrels. We were still running around with a single Some guys had them as they were starting to come in. But I'm not saying we were using the car fifteen's, but you know, we basically am four is that kind of thing. And it was just like, okay, here's some money, like go get you go buy yourself some news like Walmart or yeah, going to five eleven and hook yourself up like whatever you want. Your prime precision was brand new, like get yourself one hundred pairs of Cavis for all your guys, like what and if you need more, come see us, Like it's no problem, Like we got this crazy g WoT money. And they were like all right, So we start getting more gear, we start getting better equipment, we start, you know, really you know, getting ourselves outfitted. And that's what we were able to do in those interim years. But when we weren't deploying was build our forces up. And the best part about that was the force recompleton that I had in here and now was part of We were together now for another two years after that, so we had incredible unit cohesion, a lot of time together, a lot of time together. My jump masters like they they knew exactly who was who. You know, we all knew what skills we had, we had, we had levels of training that we'd been to that that hadn't been done because we had this opportunity and That's kind of how I looked at it. I was like, well, we don't know what's going to happen, we can be ready, so let's just we're gonna train, and we're gonna train really hard. So yeah, talk to us through that a little bit.
Speaker 2: You know, after you guys went down and bought all of your oak lea's and beltrow and everything that you needed.
Speaker 1: Oh, to be fair, a lot of guys were already leaning into that. They already cleaned out the places in town and that was legal. Now it was legal.
Speaker 2: How did you begin, like standing up? I assume you know you mentioned auditors and so forth. There must have been people coming down and you had like some benchmarks you had to meet to be quote unquote qualifying soft.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that all came out of so common. In fact, the Army did a lot of evaluation on us, particularly we were direct action focused at that point in time. Particularly, so there were people from SIFT, there were people from from CAG and they were they were curious like what do these how do these guys train? What do they do? We invested in marksmanship training on a on a huge level. We invested in uh our tactics. We revitalized how we did stuff because Delta had found that five guys attacking the people that the paper people army was not really effective and dudes were getting shot and it was so we we had to relearn a bunch of things. Aggression helps in those fights, but you also have to be a thinker, and like the British, you know, the British say, you know, you take your time, but hurry, you know, be careful, but get it done. Be deliberate. Yeah, and you know, if you're in, you're in. But like, just so we had to change things immensely in the way that we trained and the way that we approached stuff. And and uh, that was a lot of learning as well. I mean, you guys had come back from Iraq with hum v's that they had gotten the CBS to old armor plate on, and they're like, yeah, there's got to be a better way to fight than this. And so they designed the gm V, the ground Mobility vehicle that we all started. You know, they went to letter Kenny Arsenal and said, Okay, we want to design a vehicle that works. So from the ground up it was Taylor built for soft use. That's why they had the software GMV, the turret and all this thing.
Speaker 2: So we have to not preface this but at least explain to the viewers to kind of like dovetail this. We had Fred Galvin on the show a few years back. We have his book right, A Few Bad Men. Rather, you know, you guys can ken and should go back and watch his interview and you can that first MARSK deployment sounded pretty hillacious for those guys and what they went through. And to be fair, I was not there, right, Yes, That's what I'm leading up to here, is that generation kill.
Speaker 1: I was not there, so they makes for good TV in some ways. But I can just say who I know?
Speaker 2: And you were the follow on after foxtrot take us through that event?
Speaker 1: Yep, uh so I was. I was the direct Action platoon commander. We were paired up with a an infantry platoon they call a trailer platoon, which is really not a good name. They were. They were they were meant to be an augmented security force for US doing a direct action mission. So if we were isolating an objective and we the assault platoon we're attacking, we're going into the assault. The infantry would be an external security they'd also come in with heavier weapons, uh, machine guns, that kind of thing, and be able to lay down some exterior higher firepower. And they were also able. It also allowed us to put every assaulter on the objective and not have to have a driver like they could take care of all that for us. But so another thing we invested in with driver training. We went to BSR, we did day and night, we did off road, you know, old mobility. Yeah, it's a lot of fun to drive an old police Caprice Classic, you know, with a big block V eight four or five at one hundred miles an hour on night vision, goggles down a racetrack Crown vic Oh my god, yeah, and just just roll it like you got the cop suspense and you it was. It was great. So so we invested in that kind of stuff because we one of the biggest casualty producers was vehicle rollovers and accidents. So they're like, well, then shouldn't we learn how to drive? And you got to drive in your body armor and your gear, and you got to be able to feel the pedals in your boots. And so we tried to make his training as realistic as possible. And then so the Marsoc Company at that time was one hundred and twenty people in that had enablers, communicators, it had our company commander was a major, like Fred was the company commander for Fox Company. I was in Golf Company at that point. And then we were to succeed Fred and his guys, and then they got into they got into the encounter, the ambush that they were involved in, and you can beat about that. You can go see different things, and that was a really difficult time because people are quick to judge. The facts weren't there.
Speaker 2: I told Fred at the time, I mean we were hearing about it. I think I was in the Special Forces qualification course and I was hearing weird stories at Fort Bragg about this stuff that, as I now know, are highly exaggerated. And you know that's not how it went down.
Speaker 1: Everybody heard that, yeah, and it and it sat a shockwave across I mean, the Rine Corps has never liked Marsac and at that point in time.
Speaker 2: It was like a same really, see, this is what I told yourself, this is what you get, which is totally unfair.
Speaker 1: Because he had man if I had a good freaking group. He had a a team of dudes in that unit and its direct action.
Speaker 2: Ye it sounds like they have been It took a hell of a long time, but they have been vindicated.
Speaker 1: Been adjudicated, yeas, and and and but but but they inger, yes, we have some scars. It does. And and it also went through so calm the same way because it was like, what's going on here? And so there was even more scrutiny on us as we were ramping up, you talking about certification, where they're like, well, let's take a look at like we really need to look at these guys carefully, and we're just like, wait a second, you know what I do. We're training as hard as anybody else. We've already demonstrated week, we demonstrated our capabilities to do we need to do. And so coming in after them, you know that that was the environment and we just had to kind of figure it out.
Speaker 2: Another leadership challenge for you. Have we seen a trend here? Yes, we're only in two thousand and seven right now, Well, how did you overcome this particular leadership challenge that, like MARSK is under the microscope and in the eyes of many military leaders like you guys suck.
Speaker 1: You know, it's not fair, but there's a perception out there needed to be the best people we could be. And I said, we know who we are, we know what we can do, and it's up to us. Now, this doesn't mean they're a defect, but we don't have a lot of room for mistakes. In fact, we don't because we're playing with house money now, so we we we cannot have a bad bet. And unfortunately some people took that to mean really holding back and Fred Fred did tell me, He's like, you're going to enter a world where people approach things from the point of view of like I don't have to do anything right, so long as I don't do anything wrong, and they'll wait, they'll wait out stuff like that, right, And so that's a little metaphor for the entire war. Fred was right. I'm not given. I'll give him. Fred and I get along. We always have. I haven't talked to him in a while. So Fred, if you're watching, men love everybody. But he he he really he had to. He he had to fight his own fight for his unit's good name, for his men's good name, and he didn't give up, like he had his people's back. And I think that's what my own guys wanted to know as well, like, hey, if this goes down, this is if Ivan Gonda support your boys, stick with you. And but the answer was yes, but again you have to figure you had to figure this thing out. And so you're you know, we deployed Afghanistan and summer of two thousand and seven, and we were there until the early early part of two thousand and eight, and we saw a protracted amount of combat, hell of a lot of When I was in for Geoficer, of course, great a guy named black Jack Matthews, lieutenant colonel, the battalion commander and way in nineteen sixty eight, and he had given his marines the order to fix bannets fuck fuck is right. And what he said about that is that it was the most difficult order that he'd given anyone because he knew someone on the other end of that rifle was gonna die. And so while I never I of course never gave the order for expandits, I know people who have done it in combat. Really well, yeah, infantry unit, there's infantry guys whos need to way more combat than we have. I mean, seriously, let's call it with it. And and so but I thought to myself, and they talked about the combat that he was in and it's you know, just day overnight type of leadership and things that he had to be involved in. I was like, I'm never going to see something like that. I'll never say never, because man, oh man, I couldn't get deployed to Iraq. I couldn't get you know.
Speaker 2: I kept going to these Yeah, you fought for this everything I could.
Speaker 1: And now I was finally able to go to the game and I got all caught up.
Speaker 2: What area were you guys deployed to? We were in the home so at that time was really dangerous. I mean not that in place was great, but that was ship This timeframe is like during the surge too, isn't it.
Speaker 1: No, it's just prior to that, just prior so we were kind of the only Marine Union in this area, kind of alone and unafraid, and then we were lashed up with we were working with Special Forces units. So I've I have earned my Special Forces combat patch, which which is pretty cool. I actually take a lot of pride in that because I work with some phenomenal guys and to be you know, be fair, we were new to the environment there are guys who had been in Afghanistan, but earlier there were guys who'd been in Iraq. But this was not Iraq. It was different. You had to learn relearn things, and the enemy gets a huge vote. And we were working with SF guys who'd been there a while, and we're like, hey, we're going to show you some stuff, like different ways of packing your gear, different ways of patrolling, you know, or navigating and avoiding IDs and all this other stuff, and then they you know, we probably no, we definitely avoided more casualties than we took, even though we did take casualties because of their tutelage. And I would I would give them. But on the other side, it felt like we were being watched, like hey, you know big brother. Yeah, well, hey, you know, nobody really trust these Mars Socks guys too much, so let's just put some messf guys with them, because you know they're so trustworthy. Yeah. I was gonna say, like, well, it depends on how you look at it, right, Yeah, And so we just came to find like after a while, I was like, hey, you guys are like us, Well, yeah, I mean we're trying to tell you that, like we're you know, we get it, you know, but but people did ask were like, what's your training course? Like did you get a bereat do you get in We didn't even have our badge in the marto. We weren't you weren't raiders yet, nopeah, And we were all forced recomp But I'll tell you what, like, as soon as you told me were former forced dudes, you said you got this credibility. Yeah, like okay, talking about it, like okay, these guys are yeah, yeah, right.
Speaker 2: Any missions that like stand out in your mind, I mean maybe like the first time you were in combat or any that particularly you know, stand out for you.
Speaker 1: So we were we were tasked, like we said, we were direct action unit, but we did a lot of infantry esque fighting. Infantry fighting, but we're small. One hundred and twenty guys is still not a lot of dudes, especially out in that bad guy country. And we often did a lot up patrols by platoons, So you've only got five six vehicles that you're out there by yourself, whether it's reconnaissance or you're actually doing active combat ops where you're searching for the enemy, or even a raid, which we did do a few of.
Speaker 2: You.
Speaker 1: We did a clearing operation and it makes it sound like it's an old Vietnam search and destroy, but that's not what it was.
Speaker 2: We're just kind of moving up this valley to kind of movement to contact.
Speaker 1: Movement to contact. We're really trying to figure out the enemy because the big the big push was going to be on a town, a city called Musa Kali, which is further to the north, and we were down south of the Kajaki so none of the six to ten route hadn't been made yet, any of that stuff, you know, those those things, those improvement projects hadn't been completed, and they're like, what's the enemy like up in this valley? We got to go figure it out. So they sent us into this valley that you know, in the Helman River to go and do that. And at first it was presence patrols. You know, you're going to meet meet with people, meet with villagers and things like that, and then it just started getting incrementally more hairy the further north we went, and so we did a clearing operation. As a company. We're in three different sections and mine was actually I was actually in reserve, so it was not so much wear security. But you know, we had to like move in a bubble, you know, cigar like cigar shape patrolling formation just with vehicles basically, so you got your flank security. And we were in the back and we got into a pretty good contact over on our left flank. One of my vehicles was hit. Luke Mylan was killed. He was a Special Forces medic h they called Sarks a Special Amphibious Reconnaissance Corman, which is a Navy eighteen delta Special Forces metic. He was. Luke was a great guy. I still speak with his family. He factors very heavily into my novel which will be coming out this year. He held the Army the Use of Soak Special Forces Medic of the Year Award and the Marsak Operator of the Year Award simultaneously. Okay, so he was an absolute warfighter. And when he was killed, we were like, oh my god, like this is this is our one of the best guys. Yeah, this was like holy shit like it was and five other guys were wounded, and it was really that was just a huge eye opener. And I think that day was when I really learned how to lead, because you had to somehow deal with the flood of emotions, and your marines are all busted up, and then you've got guys who want revenge and you've got dudes being evacuated, and it was just terrible. So the next day, as we're doing this, So at that time, I had not fired my rifle in combat yet. I you know, I'd heard this whole thing on the radio. I'd seen this entire thing unfold, but it was it was distant. I was an observer, but I wasn't in it. And I was like, I've now seen combat. I've been in combat, but I don't feel like I've been tested. And then later that evening the following day, my company commander came to me and said, we need to establish a foothold on this one part of this ridgeline. So I want you to take your platoon down into this, to this compound and take it over and fortify it, and then the rest of us will swing up past you. Because everyone else has been in a lot of contact, and we were fresh, fresh, relatively fresh, because we'd do it on the back, mounted up, did a quick scan. We're like, all right, let's go. Came up with our soul plan, and my support by fire position that was being provided by the infantry. Never underestimate the enemy. They pumped two mortar rounds onto that to knock them out as they saw us driving in, so they had to displace. And now I had no support by fire and we had no air support. At the time. There was stumb pulled in on the overhead. It was just like this confluence of stuff. So now we drive down at this compound and as soon as we get there, we are in the base. Murphy's loss says, if your attack is going well, you're in an ambush. Well, my attack went swimmingly because I was at the base of a U shape ambush and they were hammering us inside of one hundred yards. RPG round bounced off the hood of my truck. I don't know what it just and it blew up behind us. My guys dismounted and started doing fire and maneuver bounds through these guys and trench lines and they're throwing grenades and oh my god. Well, I think it scared the shit out of the enemy because they were like, these guys are crazy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I mean, that's a reputation Marines had with the japanesetern the war.
Speaker 1: I mean, this is this is who you guys are. So I realized after the RBG hit the hit the hood and bounced off, I was like, okay, this is I don't want to be in this vehicle. I at least to get out of it. And I need to control this fight because that's the officer's job, is command and control. But we also teach the fighter leader concept. And I get out of the vehicle and the bullets are flying, and I start to run around the back of My driver yells his name is Coyle. He goes, hey, sir, can you shut the door? My dumbass. So I run back and I shut the door so he has some protection, and he's just sitting there my fifty caliber. My gunner up top is Blastmary of the fifty caliber. I run around the other side of the vehicle. I'm getting on my radio and uh, I mean, it is just chaos and calling in tack report and then I get the word, hey, get out of there at this place, like there's no point in trying to fight this out, So tell everybody, hey, we're withdrawing. You'll get back to the vehicles. And again, like I've seen these guys now running forward. I don't know if anybody's down on these trench lines now, like I've lost site. It's dusk, so you really can't see what There's a lot of dust and firepower, firepower coming in going out, and we are in a is just a severe firefight. And I owe Eden Pearl Massar and Eden Pearl, who's passed away unfortunately due to his wounds from here's back. I owe him everything for teaching me this technique. And he told me, if you run around a piece of cover, you need to reclear that piece of cover because you don't know what's now on the other side of it. And I took up the stance just like we were trained, and I leaned out around the edge of that truck and there's a three dudes running with a PK. Holy shit, and I zapped them all and that was the first people I'd ever seen in my sights or killed. And they all went right down. And then I started running and Jack, I can I can feel the bullets going by me. I can hear him smacking the armor plate behind me. My interpreter is laying on his back with his ak over the top of the armor plate, just going like this. Just trying, like like he's terrified and just trying to contribute. That's the technique, it is. And I'm ducking underneath like he has no idea that I'm there. So I'm like ducking underneath. And I jumped back in with Coil and I said we need to turn around. He goes Roger that sir, so, so now we got to get everybody back in the vehicles and we're trying to get accountability. I'm like, it's just kiss and we're trying to turn these vehicles.
Speaker 2: But the boys meanwhile secured like old school battle drills, like lobbing frags into those trenches.
Speaker 1: It is. They did it immediately, they did it. They went into an attack like that and they basically did an Australian people coming back. Fuck man, we're talking about guys firing, you know, saws in their shoulder, ain'ting while standing up, so they're just just laying it down. And I just remember looking at other guy's named Rodriguez, called him Big Rod, and he's just standing there just leaning into his saw, just doing controlled eight to ten round burths, doing God's work. I was like, awesome this, I mean, I was just like mesmerized at that point in time. So we started turning around and my my Jtach had the wherewithal because he's smart to go out the other side of the vehicle instead of running because you're like told you remember, I couldn't fly a plane. This guy was he could. He jumped into this low covered ditch and was now like calling in air support and he's got eight tens on the run. He's like, hey, we got eight tens coming when you get out of here. And he has the wherewithal to have a smoke grenade with him, so he's just he's doing like everything he's got all this time. He's laid out front of him. He's like, oh yeah, Roger, we ground call sign just a little combat. So you've got like road over here shooting like like you know, he's just having a field day, and you've got fruit bat just like he tends u sounds good. How many bombs he got? Okay, we can stock that up. And he's doing all the you know stuff in his head. So we we get back in and as we're getting we get everybody back in the vehicles, we get everybody rogered up, and this seems like it takes forever. But it's quick. And remember we did all this driver training, we did all this stuff like stuck vehicle training, and sure enough, as we're getting ready to pull out, here this's oh my god, we're stuck. And the way we had pulled in there was like this drop off and one of those gmvs and they wait like ten tons it has now dropped into the side of this freaking thing and is hanging by a wheel. So they've dropped the wheel into this thing, and I'm thinking, this is it. We're dead. They're gonna hit like they've got a stationary vehicle. They're gonna get those RPGs. Now that we've shocked them, they're gonna recover from that shock, and they're gonna they're gonna blow that vehicle up, and we're gonna have a real problem. You know. It's not like, well, maybe we should just fight our way into the compound and you know, just leave the vehicles and just do what we can. So I'm I'm trying to make all these decisions that I hear this and I turned the coil, so you gotta stop. He goes what like, we gotta stuck vehicle, gotta stop, and he's just like, but we're driving, like, we gotta get out of here, like I understand that. So now we're having this philosophical discussion about why we have to stop, and the hand of God, Jack or something reaches down and pulls this vehicle off of this freaking thing like that because people are jumping out with toastraps trying like now they're under fire doing this kind of stuff right like we I don't know how many Vour awards came out of this one action alone because of what people were doing. They had so they towed them out of it. Well, they hadn't even gotten hooked up yet, and somehow no ship they backed out of. The driver figured out whether he put it in four wheel drive and toggling what he could, but all of a sudden, when he jumps out of this freaking thing, they're like, we're free go going, So like we just start barreling out of there, and then we got back to the covered sealed. Then we all stopped and watched the eight tents come in. Yeah, we watched the eight ten's come in and they pulverized them, and then it got dark and then you know, the combat just ends after a while as you know, and then you just it's just really quiet. And I wasn't. I was. I was not a smoker, right, I love cigars, but I was not a cigarette smoker. But a lot of my guys were. And I was like, hey man, did anyone have a cigarette? Like I really I need I need this and the adrenaliness to like coursing through me. Eighte eight tents come in and pulverize when we get now an AC one thirty over the head just to consolidate all of us, and they we run fire missions off of that for a while and I'm sitting in the covered and shield we had. We did a few more. There was a few more combat actions after that as well, because we we had we still had to fight. Are we out of this little part of the valley. I carried an M seventy nine while those old school breakway the blooper yep. I carried one into my vehicle. I grabbed a bandlier of seventy nine. I just started like just lobbing them out to just put put rounds down to get because people were coming back. So probably one of the last marines of fire comeback. And uh and as I as I as I got done. I I had this cigarette, and Abdullah, my interpreter's listening to the icon and hear all the chatter, and he said, Sir, sir, it's very bad for them. We really, you know, we really gave him a good going over. It's like, is that right? He goes, he goes, yes, he uh. They said you were worse than the Russians, and I said, that's probably the best ye been paid in my life. So then the adrenaline wears office. I'm smoking the cigarette and I sit down against the humvee or the gmv's wheel. I put the helmet down and I start falling asleep. And I woke up and it had burned down to my fingers, and like that's what I probably would have slept there all night afterward. So I mean, you know, if anybody's like, yeah, no, at that point, you're patting chin strap, swinging, you know, I was exhaustible. Oh my gosh. And then we got up and you know, and that that mission continued for another couple of days before we finally we can only go so far and we're just like, well, this is the enemy from line basically, and so pushing up into there, we still did more incursions to keep them on their heels as the MUSICAA thing was eventually going to unfold later that that that fall, later winter, our early winter, and it did. We were part of that on the outskirts, but the eighty second actually that entire mission with with Afghan partners. So wow, I didn't know I was going to go deep into a war story. But yeah, that was I mean, that was notable. It was well, yeah, it was. It was. It was memorable just because you know, that was the first like real action I've been in. And then after that, we we just we got into more and different stuff, and there were always named commanders that we were trying to go after HVT types, and I did some analysis, went analysis one time was one of the SF intelligence sergeants and uh, if an American unit had taken it as many casualties as we supposedly inflict on it on the talle Ban and their leadership, like we would be combat ineffective for all the shadow governors and all these other people. Yeah, you know, we were after and killing, so I think we underestimated just how resilient and their resolve, Like we did have them on the ropes at one point as you know, probably more like a nine to ten timeframe. But at that point in time, they were absolutely for roachis and beautible and we could but we kind of Afghanistan was a distractor from Iraq and we were really stretch pretty thin, and when we get too big into the American political sphere at that point, but you know, it was so yeah, that was two thousand and when we finally finished came back in two thousand and eight. How long were you guys over there? I got there in August, so five months, okay, so relatively short, but it probably felt like a hell of a long time. Yeah, yeah, I aged we all did at that point in time.
Speaker 2: So coming back from that deployment, I mean you kind of got your wish in a sense, I mean everything you were looking for.
Speaker 1: And I never looked I never wanted it again, like not like that you got it out of your system. Well, I mean I think we all become sort of adrenaline junkies in that, you know, you and and and Fick talks about this in his book, where you're you become kind of addicted to it, you want, you want to hit, and then if you're going to be out deployed, then you're like, well, I hope we get into action. I want to do something. And then no matter how much action you've had, you're then like, well that wasn't so bad. Maybe we could do a little bit more. You know, I've been in this big ambising. I want to I want to seek you beefing. I want to push it a little. I want to get in a room and actually get in a gunfight with a guy. I know you don't like, there's a there's a reason we change our tactics on this, like it's you know, so you.
Speaker 2: Become a little bit more cautious in that sense. I kind of like, be careful what you wish for a sort of thing.
Speaker 1: I think more circumspect, definitely, more more uh or calculating or at least at least evaluative what is really worth way out?
Speaker 2: You know, because you know, if I lose five guys on this mission, is it worth it well?
Speaker 1: And that that played in later in my career is particularly when you're working at the national level where you were being called to do a job. When the phone rings, you know that the national command authority is out of options and you're gonna go in there and you get into a world of risk mitigation. You can never you're trying to buy down as much you can eliminate it. You're trying to buy it down as much as you can. And then are those risks worth it? Are the conditions right enough that we can go do this? And you want all those decisions made before you get into the helicopter, you go, do you open the ramp to jump someone out there or whatever? That That is what it comes down to, and I think that that's where people run into problems, part because you know senior level leaders is they may not have that kind of exposure. May I have that kind of experience. And this is not to say that the people who are leading or not where they should be for the right reasons. It's just a matter of I think we lose sight of that. And whereas we had a big population of combat veterans that has dwindled, particularly in the last five to eight years, So we're going to go back into that peacetime footing a little bit, though I hope the lessons are still maintained.
Speaker 2: So coming back from that deployment two thousand and eight ish, what did you say in Forta Rican Or I'm sorry you were Marsac at this point, so how much longer were you in marsk.
Speaker 1: For After that, I then became an executive officer in one of the Barsok battalions, and that battalion's mission was primarily like Jay said, and FID in Africa and yeah, so I got some exposure. You know, working are very different, you know, problems than just a red combat and for the people aren't familiar to Jason, your joint combined exercise for training, it's you Ford deployed. You're going to countries, you know, I think s f used to say you're training tomorrow's adversary today. But we did that in the Philippines and parts of the Pacific as well, So I had it was responsible for a whole bunch of teams and people deployed doing those types of missions. So it was also some of them in the in the Central Asian States. Cool, So I got a lot of exposure with that, and then from there I went to the Naval War College, I took a took a year sabbatical and got my master's degree in Rhode Island, and then I came back to Marsawk after that and took on company command after a stint in regimental training and regimental operations in twenty eleven, and I also did an augment in between then with the National Mission Force for in ten and eleven. So where as an operations officer for a strikeboard too.
Speaker 2: Before we move on too quickly, so working some of these like FID missions in Africa.
Speaker 1: Asia, Central Asia.
Speaker 2: The last guest we had on the on the show, Frank Sabchak, wrote this whole book, Training to Win, Training for Victory, and he examined five different partnership relationships that we have around the world El Salvador, Philippines, Columbia, Afghanistan, Iraq.
Speaker 1: It's pretty diverse.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and so anyway, I would just like to kind of like probe your experience a little bit on that, Like what was your takeaway from some of the partnership relationships that Marsock.
Speaker 1: Formed in those years. Well, there many of them are enduring because now the Marsok battalions had regional focus. I mean, we very much like Marstock training. I think I think s F can kind of say the same thing. You know, whereas it didn't have a formal selection course, they developed that where there's you know, it used to be sort of SF didn't have an MS. They developed that, so you had, you know, longevity in your career path, languages, all that stuff. So MARSAK has embraced all of that stuff. And MARSAC had the valuable opportunity to be able to take all these different things that worked in different special operations and create one that could didn't have to learn as quickly. And I don't mean that not learning. It didn't have to develop those things because other units were already and they could say, okay, well we're going to adopt that. It just took a while to get it moving. So there's long standing partnerships that have been out there, and we've got there's teams that work all over the place in Africa, they work all over the place, in the Philippines, in Central Asian states.
Speaker 2: Like I said, I ran into MARSK guys in the Philippines.
Speaker 1: There are people who run in them all the time and they're like, what are these guys doing here? So I think when you look at the global War on Terror at that point in time and how we were trying to literally tamp everything down everywhere, and like I said, we kind of lost sight of what we were doing I think as a nation, when we kind of spread ourselves all over the place, we're going to defeat this ideology. And every ideology is bad. And so then you you swiftly find that the things are important in Western Africa are not the same. Like Africa is a content, not a country. The priorities are a little different and each place is different. So, you know, I think the French get a short shrift, but they do a lot of work in Western Africa, and they take a lot of casualties, you know, or did for some of these really aggressive mission profiles that they ran. And but you'd be surprised that Bogarama is not the biggest problem that some of these places are facing, even though it makes good headlines for us. Right, I'm not saying we're being overly exploitive. I'm just saying that are exploitative. But I'm saying that they're also dealing with extreme poverty, corruption of running water. I mean, our level of poor is very different than the rest of the world. And at that point in time, with us trying to remap the Middle East in you know, a method that we found the most acceptable without necessarily asking the people who lived there if that was the way that they should go. I mean, we had to keep a pulse on all of the things that were going on around the world, and our special operations were out there doing that. And then there was partnership, of course with national level organizations, state department, agency, et cetera, to see if all of that jobbed because you were really leaning into trying to find out what that next flashpoint might be or if it was going to be there. That again, it's containment, it's not right elimination, right, and so those MARSTOK teams were not necessarily involved in direct mission assistance and planning with units that were going out and doing them, or if they were, it was much more stand officer, you know, will help you develop this plan. But yes, and the Philippines is another good example on that. Although one of my teams on their way to a training range with the Philippine Marine Corps got into a big freakin' action. So next thing I know, I'm getting all kinds of simple reports of this firefight that they've been in, and they're you know, they're being awarded the Vietnamese or the Philippine Cross a Gallantry per man And now I'm going to the Marine Corps saying, hey, these guys made the combat action. We're not in combat in the Philippines, like well they were yesterday. Yeah, yeah, I'm not making this up like you know. So yeah, I mean and their medics, you know, treating wounded and all kinds of stuff, and so you never and and that was one thing though, that that they had talked to the their their Philippine counterparts. You know, you got to treat these things as a mission, like the enemy is everywhere, and you know, you never know. Now they're not going into take out absifs, you know, planning a headquarters cell that they were not involved in the hostage rescue that that happened over there as well. But there's a lot of special operations things that are happening around that to enable those types of missions. So they were actively involved in and so they you know that those units that are on the ground are your best collectors, they're your best pulse on on what's going on there. And I think you know, one of the in a historical area that we didn't learn from is that in Somalia in the nineties there were special forces, American Special Forces units, US Army Special Forces units in Somali already on the ground who had a pretty good handle on a deed in like what this dynamic was was really like in that place. And then when you know the National Command Authority and I know, I mean that like Washington got involved, then they were like, uh, we got the answers like, oh no, we're going to take care of seals. And so then you get into a mission creep that this overextends. And I'm not I'm not discounting anything that happened in Blackout Down or the bravery that people involved. And you know, there's a lot to be learned as a feet of arms in the Battle of the Black Seat, for sure, but that kind of thing just it just snowballs way if you're ignoring the people on the ground, or at least discounting, right, you know, and that mission, when that mission focus changes, it's sort of a discounting. And I really don't think you can. I think there's a there's value in having just chase sets out there, even if people see them as boring and kind of unimportant, because training people to shoot, you know, do marksmanship, and do basic medical trainings. Yeah we're talking about earlier. They're never going to make a movie out of it, unless something goes bad.
Speaker 2: But sometimes those like the liaison relationships are where you're going to have the biggest impact on the battle space it is, and it also helps her your unit memory.
Speaker 1: Like that's the problem with the new the Marine Corps Marine Expeditionary Program is it rebuilds itself every thirty six months or so for a six month deployment, and because they're always reconstituting, that's that's what really makes particularly our our national mission forces very effective, is that they are standing. They have continuity of continuity, and they have a lot of lessons learned that they pay attention to and then when it's time to go into this next place or like, well, who do we know, who's in our network? What is our experience there? And mar Marzak has done a pretty good job of that as well.
Speaker 2: So after that, you go to grad school and you come back to the Marine Corps with a bunch of new vocabulary words to.
Speaker 1: Annoy your enlisted guys with, and annoyed they work. I actually, ironically we're talking about Fred Galvin. I took over Fox Company, okay, and that was my company command. Like I said, I did a tour with a strike force as an operations officer, which actually really did help me, not only post graduate school or work college.
Speaker 2: That was before your company command, before my company command. Okay, yeah, well let's get into that a little bit.
Speaker 4: Uh Okay, I I had there were Marines working specific unit and they said, hey, we need some assistance with.
Speaker 1: One of our opos fell through and we need a guy. And I know it's short notice, but is it possibly you could come fill this? And so Mars socks out as a great opportunity and commanders knew each other and calls were made, and so I jumped on an airplane and went over there. And that was in eastern Afghanistan, which is another part that I hadn't really served, and so I worked. I worked there for four months, pretty high end, a high operational tempo environment. But I learned a lot, not only through operational planning, but just watching how these units prepared and did things, so that I took all of that information and when I became a company commander was like, I really have a fair thorough understanding about it. How do you utilize ISR? How to you know, augment and accelerate the intelligence process and apply that in real time and make changes and explain why those changes are necessary and develop a unit that sees it that way. And so you should constantly be learning and involving and turn and trying new things. But if you don't have support, you're kind of hallucinating. So you can't just like run forward. So what they do it kind of right, it's a sale, it's a salesman, it's a sales pitch.
Speaker 2: So you mentioned that a little bit earlier about the importance of branding.
Speaker 1: Uh huh, and that's uh going back to that confidence thing. If at face value, they can say, oh gosh, these guys know what they're doing. We trust that they will be able to to do the things they say they can. And so once that trust is established, and that's that's really what happens in the Jaystock world. It's taking a face value.
Speaker 2: And you notice that with the special missions units that they're like, yeah, okay, these guys got it.
Speaker 1: They don't have to, they really don't. On the other side, they have to maintain that, right, there's very very little room for for fallibility.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you have an operation where a bunch of birds get shot out of the sky and the changes things it does.
Speaker 1: I mean just having one go down, and I mean those units have taken a lot of casualties. I wouldn't I'm not going to say unnecessarily, but you know, they lean into the mission and say this is what we're gonna we're gonna do. The risks are assessed and they once they say no, it's it's time.
Speaker 2: So you were in like a planning cell at that point mm hmm.
Speaker 1: I was the I was the operations officer for for that for that task force, for that organization, and so I literally was looking across the table at the targeteers and the drone operators and the air mission planners like just shout out to the one sixtieth. I mean the first time I work with them. We we we set up this in training, but we're doing a direct action rate on this on this combat village, and we set up that we're going to land in this field and you know, attack the building. And one officer looks at it and goes, well, why do you want to land there? That's like one hundred and fifty yards away from the from the building. We're like, yeah, well, I mean you got to be able to put the helicopter do in he goes my rear roador arc is thirty meters. Okay, I was over for twenty five. But if that's how close you can get us, fine, that's how he landed. The ramp went down. He's like, there's the and the guy that the ramp gunner is like, that's the billet building. There's the door. There it is, and we're just like, wow, curb side service, you know. So, I mean it was just a difference in training that we weren't even used to right once. Once you have capabilities that you can reach into and people that you can work with and you trust on that level, then you can have a discussion about who, you know, risk to air force, risk to aircraft commission, what's worth it At that point in time, you know, if you're going to do an offset, fine, we'll do an offset. But now we're going to land in such a way that it protects everything. It's audibly masked. You know, hopefully we fly in bad weather because most people aren't going to be outside. You know, you bind out all this risk and still going to be able to land us.
Speaker 2: It's cool to hear you talk about this stuff at the level you got to see the planning process because there is a sense with a lot of people out there. Sometimes even I had to say it with former operators when you listen to them talk like, I don't think they totally understand everything that goes in to putting one of these missions together. And running to the door and blowing it down and clearing some rooms is awesome, but there's all of these other pieces that have to come together.
Speaker 1: There is. And that's not to say that the operator at the operator level, they're not taking the risks and they really I've worked in very talented people and there were stuff like creatively talented people, so they just they talk about how they're going to do something and I'd be like, oh, I'm writing that one down, Like damn, dude, that's good, Like, you know, just things you hadn't really thought about. And then you you get out there with their true commanders and you start listening to how they run stuff and how they do command and control and actually manage their you know, the chaos. And I look back on that one firefight and how much better would I have been have had had an opportunity of that, Yeah, to be able to handle the amount of stuff that he has never mind the support network. So it incrementally made me better as I started looking at it. But you know, because we were going back to Afghanistan and my company, I realized that I could only take but so much back from them and say, Okay, here's how I'd like to do things. Because you're not resourced the same way, you're not equip the same way, you don't have the same permissions, So you can't just say why can't you be this? You just say this is who we are, So we got to be and we're going to work with in those parameters and we're also going to push them as hard as we can.
Speaker 2: What were some of those lessons that you were able to apply back in Marsk as far as like how you organize your special teams or I mean, how did that kind of come together and coalesce for you guys.
Speaker 1: Well, at that point in time, we were now running into what it's called VSO, which is value stability operations. So I was going to be the thing that I learned on that strikeforce rotation is they had multiple units out independently working and at that point in time, I had not done that, Like I was not experienced with that type of distributed operation operational area and distributed commanding control. And it's two parts. You're in command, but you've got to control all this stuff. But now you have to have a tremendous amount of trust in your subordinates, not just your officers, but especially your NCOs to get stuff done because they're operating in other areas that you may not see them for weeks, and they're entrusted with money, and they're entrusted with weapons, and there may be sensitive programs that they had to run that they're not looking for your permission on because you've already said I trust you. So I had to be very direct about what my expectations were. I had to follow up on that, but also had to give them room to work on it. And so as we're getting into the VSO piece, I looked at the way that these strike forces, you know, were managed from a central point and what they were allowed to do, and I mirrored that and said, as these guys are trained based upon where their operational areas, we need to help them to achieve the best you know outcomes.
Speaker 2: You speaking of the mobility stuff, if I recall, right, wasn't this around the time that Mars socks.
Speaker 1: Started using like dirt bikes, yep, started using dirt bikes. We used well that was one thing. Well when I was out the strike force, I mean they were loading those side by side razors into the back of I've never seen that done in the back of helicopters and landing in the middle of nowhere, and then you know, getting the job done. Motorbikes the same thing. It was like riding dirt bikes at night on night vision. I want to do that, like it sounds great. So we invested a lot in you know, mobility training. We sent guys to dirt bike courses, guys the mule packing courses in case you were going to go into the mountains with with animals. And but by the way, mules are not as easy to work with as you think that kind of stuff. And we we we we could be creative, but we also you know, made it very mission focused. It wasn't just adventure training for adventure training. But then you kind of put the fast roping to the side because you know you're not going to be doing that much. But you do focus on your jump stuff because you think you know there might be an application there. But at the same time you really look at it all, right, are we good? Can can these units fight and thrive and sustain themselves? And can we sustain them? And you know, because they're in VSO, they have to be able to generate their own intelligence. So do they have the right amount of intelligent access to intelligence to the stuff they're reporting back? How are we packaging that? And you know, my unit got really good because of the way we were distributing, and I had Special Forces teams working with us as well in all these VSO sites of developing a really big battlefield picture of not only the Talib network, but who the who the movers were. And from there we would hand off the larger target packages to people who could go and execute. And whether it was a special Air Service or it was you know, our own people, our own SMUs and people would show. People would look at our intelligence packages and again, take it at face value. This came from this group. It's not gold, like, we're not just running in there. But it's pretty credible. Let's let's follow up. And they would send a two man team and they would come and talk or they would say, hey, come up here and let's have a conversation. And so they would put people on. You know, hey, you're gonna go on this raid. We want to get this guy. We're gonna come with you. Less risk to us. We can still do a job we need to. We have better permissions to roll a guy up and you don't have to worry about the tension problem. Like, dude, this is awesome. So what area were you doing vs? O INN in the west Western Afghanistan, farashin dan Harat. We had the whole the operating It was about the size of West Virginia down into nim Rouse. So this is kind of this arc around and then you've got of course I ran as your main main intruder.
Speaker 2: Was that That's something you guys had to account for or run up against.
Speaker 1: We did. I will say this, And all the time that was over there, I never saw some Chechenian fighter. We never got no IRGC. Yeah. The gold standar would have been to roll up a Quids Force guy like yeah, no, we never. I mean I'm sure they were there and collecting. I mean, you know the phones that they have over there are all Iranian made. You had to assume that you were being collected upon. It wasn't like we you know, but it was also where we're pretty overt. We're in the open of you know, you're living in these villages. You're now trying to you know, expand some of the security into these areas, even if they didn't necessarily want it. So I had to change the mindset of how we approached the mission. We had to. We got Dave col Collen to come in and give a three day very academic, but also because he was he had been a war fighter, you know, with with the Australian Army, and he had a long he did the actually on Grilla if nobody knows that that book, and so we had him come in and talk about not only the book. I read his book Bloodyear very smark I, and we're like, okay, well, if we need to understand, let's get people who've done this and can can actually put some stuff against the counterinsurgency because that's what it was, and it's hard to grab, you know, counter sertacy something that's baked into the Army Special Forces playbook. Marsak has now got it. But at that point in time, you coin another mistake that was made. My opinion is that we tried to make all of our armed forces have been able to do coin and say, well, it's just dismission, it's just different, anyone can do it. It's not true at all. We know that you need specialists to do specialists work. You wouldn't have somebody, you know, you two how to rebuild a turbo in your car. You would go to a specialist, you know, to do that. I hope anyway that that's how people would approach it. But because of that and you need specialists, we found that we had to become a specialist, and we had to admit that we didn't know certain things and we had to learn. And so I found that the most the best people with the best expertises I could, particularly when you're when you're talking about counters, curgaency, asymmetric threats, which is something different, but you know when you're in these environments where you've got this changing scale where you could be in full combat at any minute, and it did happen in some of these VSO sites. I also use the VSO sites as jumping off points for action if we do it, because I had now a Ford deployed node that could that knew the area and could do stuff. And when we talked to people that again, like we're talking about rolling someone up. We're like, we've already got as force years ready to go. You need to send a few people down and we can make it happen. So we got really good at having that kind of relationship. And because of the relationships I had on the strikeforce, these people were still working at Camp Alpha and I could just call them and just say, hey, we got something going well. Was that at all difficult to manage?
Speaker 2: Like sometimes where it's like hey, j sock, you don't actually need to be here, like we can handle this.
Speaker 1: You wish that you could invite people into your house. Sometimes it doesn't. Those are more interested and like, hey, maybe you guys could just take the night off. We got this and so you kind of kind of cross your arms and go. You get upset, but it it generally was complimentary. I didn't have anybody just out of the blue just fly into something. If they were gonna do something, we're very circumspect about, you know. There was there was a good liaison there. And then there will also be like, hey, look, if something happens, we need we're gonna need we might need help. So if you can, if you can put some guys who are if you guys can put some guys on standby, that would be that would be great. What kind of what kind of medical facilities do you have if we have to come here, you know, oh, you have special Forces medics. Also, you've got people, You've got a surgery you know, based upon this army mash unit that's co located with you. Fantastic. So those are the kinds of things. They don't know everything and everybody that they need to kind of build their own network as well as for our support capability. And they're if you can do the job and you offer something of value, they're gonna take take it. They're not gonna just do it ourselves. They're better than that. Yeah, team building. Yeah yeah. So I think that the the strength of VSO was that we really were trying. The difficulty was that we're trying to be good everywhere and to we just were running out of kind of patients. Even as it was heading into twenty eleven, twenty twelve, even though Afghanistan lasted another almost ten years, we were throwing things just like trying to make the stuff work, and we all served, we all served to make the best of that situation. But it was not the direct action kind of combat that I had been involved in five years earlier. So I think a lot of guys were kind of disappointed that we weren't doing that as frequently, even though we did get into some action out there.
Speaker 2: For sure, what was sort of your takeaway from the VSO experience, Because we've interviewed certainly SF guys, at least one seal probably we have had some Marsac guys on, but it sounds like or Scott Man we've had on the.
Speaker 1: We've developed it, so yea, yeah, he's I mean, it sounds like and he's a heck of a lot more versed on this than me. Yeah. Yeah, And I'd love to hear your take on it.
Speaker 2: But I mean it sounds like just as we were kind of like getting it up and running and starting to pay dividends, that they shut it down.
Speaker 1: Well that that's kind of what I was kind of alluding to. But that's that's a great way to sum it up. And so I kill Colin said, you know, counterinsurgency and the warfare that you're you're involved in, Yes, it is evolved. You don't want to create more insurgents, you want to try and develop more friendly networks than bad ones. But honestly, you still if you're not shooting people in the face, you're doing it wrong. You're like, you have to keep being aggressive.
Speaker 2: And keep the pressure on the bad guys while you're building up this sort of civilian infrastructure.
Speaker 1: So in two thousand and nine and ten under Obama, we had not only increased the drone warfare permissions, like he really opened that up big time. He also opened up special operations like being involved all over the place, and we you know, I don't want to say it was war on the cheap, but it was really like, let's just get you know, we're just gonna let the dogs loose and and try and put an end to this thing. And unfortunately, national level pressure pulled us back. Like we had the Taliban on the ropes and we were pulling out.
Speaker 2: Of or out of Iraq, And at that point in like two ten eleven.
Speaker 1: Yeah, nine, ten eleven, we really had the Taliban on the ropes and they were ready to come to negotiating table and we kind of get it let up and then we just like, okay, let's do vso. And this is not saying that that was a bad idea because the US Marine Corps had done that very effectively in Vietnam with the Hamlet program cap cap yeah, or a CAP yeah, the Combined Action program, thank you, and you know the Hamlet So you're going in the hamlets and then it was very successful, you know, in his thing. But this requires maintenance and it requires a long term investment. And the population in America was war weary because of Iraq. People were kind of well, still, what's going on in Afghanistan? Are there? What are we doing? And so yeah, in order for that to be effective, it was going to take a lot of time, and it was going to take you know, probably more investment. And we were just sort of looking at like, okay, well when are the Afghans going to get hold of this thing and do it themselves? And the quite fact that they weren't going to do it.
Speaker 2: And I mean the reality is like a VSO project that's like a decade long project. That's not that's not an election cycle project.
Speaker 1: And we because Americans want it quick, fasting, in a hurry and cheap, they picked two, right, can't we just use robots to do that? I love it, you know, but it just well, I mean, it was very you know with the drone program. Programming was sort of like, well, we'll just do standoffs and we'll just shoot these guys. Well that's that's not balanced with with on the ground you know work. And the other problem or challenge in VSO is that you're kind of, like the Jay said, you're turning over your teams every six to eight months and you're having to rebuild these rapports. And there were guys who had gone back. You're like, hey, we're now back in the Zuricho Valley, we're now back in Shindan. But we haven't been here for eighteen months. Things have changed, Things have changed, the way we are fighting this war have changed. You know. I was on a SIF and I was doing I was banging targets every night in Iraq. Well, dude, we don't do that here now. Well, got a bad guy outside your gate, probably go get him. Well let's hang on. We don't want to be too violent. Well that's that's what I mean is you got to be able to, you know, have that throttle. And I tried pretty hard to lean into being able to you know, get into the the pacification while also yeah, you know, building up the.
Speaker 2: Report another leadership challenge and grabbing them by the collar like, oh, hold on a second.
Speaker 1: Well that's when they started saying like, we can't want this more than the Afghans do. And I don't know if I've got in Afghan it want to do more than us? Yeah, you know what I mean? Fuck man? Yeah? And and so you know, we we finished that deployment UH in March of twenty twelve, nine months. Quite a number of guys wounded, nobody killed, thank god. And I came back from that and you know, you know, one day you're in charge and you're leading, and you're you're out there, and then next thing you know, you're sitting in a parking a lot and palms wondering why the band broke up. Lovely, I didn't even send the twenty nine palms. I actually actually ended up going to UH let's called Special Operations Training Group in Marine Corps Training, which is training mews and UH. I spent a couple of years doing training, mus take taking the stuff I'd learned in marshaking and helping mws get better both of their the way they train and they approach different things. And then you know, I also was involved quite a bit with with their called stability operations and also inter agency operations because my time with with MARSKA had spent plenty of time working with people from different NGOs, different parts of the United States government, all the most of the agencies within it, especially those who were you know, in Afghanistan and those who were supporting those j sets, because they're they're working all over the place working on country clearances, trying to you know, if you do that as a regular thing, you assume everyone knows how to do that. And then when the larger Marine Corps like, hey, we need to get some people in this place, they don't even know where to start with doing a country Who do we call? Who does the request? Do you all even have passports? Oh, that's a good one, and we should get those, Like you know, what else have you got for us? Like kind of important, like maybe would just pump the brakes for a minute on this invasion thing you.
Speaker 2: So, was that like a rewarding experience to kind of take all these experiences you've had and now you're in a training position and sort.
Speaker 1: Of pass some of that along. Yeah. I actually that was a part of my career. I really enjoyed. I like, I like training, I like teaching or trying to impart. And ultimately it's not just to help the unit get better, especially if you're getting into tactics, and I'm not, I was not. I did enjoy tactics. I did enjoy you know, shooting and that kind of thing. I don't mind being out of the range and helping people with bartmanship or even talk about the ambushment Nette or some others that the things I've been a part of to help them understand, you know, combat decision making and leadership. But on the other side, it's you know, there's there's a lot more that you can you can bring and offer people, and so I like, I really do like that. I think it's a very it's a payoff. And that's not to say like why just being on the podium and lecturing. You know, you want to you want people to get something out of it. But when you bring someone like Andrea dou who is a professor at the Nable War College who wrote Terrorists, Insurgents, and Militias, which is a great academic study of you know, why people are kind of the way they are. So before you ever go into some of these situations. You kind of look at Lashgarry Taiba and these terrorist organizations. Then you look at people not necessarily terrorists, and we've we've we've brought, we've broad brushed every organization that's bad out there as being terrorists. And they in many ways they may have things that are traits that kind of align to terrorism. But if they're an insurgent or if they're just a militia and a lawless land, they're just trying to get something dark. Absolutely well. I mean, I may deals with the Taliban UH or at least the guys I know who are associated with the Taliban UH to stop iding roads so we could get something done and they're only even was like, hey, you just keep people out of our valley. That was it? Yeah? Pretty much. I'm like, was that the problem? Because that's easy? Oh, by the way, what do you grow over here? Stuff? So who do you sell to? Oh, don't worry about it, good guys, dude, you would like, but there's just someugh question exactly right do you want to say ideas to stop or not? Like, but we've lost you're losing the plot here either, like where we're at. So I was just like all right, Well, you know you're gonna make a deal, and that's just it. And so you know, if you're really if you're really looking at in a in a straight moral ethical like I can't cross these boundaries line you have to be able to you're not subjugating your personal code. You're looking at it from the perspective like pragmatic pursuit, exactly.
Speaker 2: How do I get this done? And ultimately that's the result. You weren't hashing out a piece steel. You were just hashing out a little I just wanted piece here or at least reduction. So, I mean, Afghanistan was fine when I left. I don't know what happened somebody else, Well, no.
Speaker 1: I mean and that does not to castigate anybody who's served there or anything that you know has happened. It's just because of the rotations that you would have. You would just you know, come back and see another guy and be like, hey, man, didn't I see you at twenty ten? You're like what you been up to since then? You know? Jay said, did this that and the other thing? And you know we're back. Shouldn't we be done? Like shouldn't this be shouldn't we have progressed, so we we it's kind of like writing a book where you don't have the end in mind. Well, I know you've heard it before.
Speaker 2: You know, people say, we weren't in Afghanistan for twenty years. We were in Afghanistan for one year twenty times, right.
Speaker 1: But not the same year twenty times. That was the other problem is we were like, well and I have my Iraq veterans used to say the same thing. Well, we've been in combat. It's you know, it's no big deal. Like at the sharp end of battle. It is the r indeed correcthooting and shooting tactics. How you employed that, you know how you fight is definitely you know something you can you can overlay. I don't want to use the word template. But then after that the environment. You have to understand the invoperating environment you're in, in the way that that your enemy fights and the way that they approach things. And then people say, turn the map around. It's not just terrain, its mindset, it's how they look at stuff. And so in the VSO thing, we really wanted to get a little more deeper into the know the psychology and the psyche of what we're doing. Not only are we having an effect at the VSO level, but you know, who are we fighting against them? What are they? What is important to them? And then you know my opinion in Afghanistan, we probably should like let them be a kingdom and have a king and fiefdoms and just rule it medievally, because that's what they understood, what they wanted. Well it's and we said, well, no, you need Jeffersonian democracy. Yeah, you need a federal system and credit all out. Well a lot of people got rich off of that, and it wasn't the people, you know what I mean, Like, yeah, I remember talking with the provincial governor in Harat, very well educated guy, impeccable English, and his bailout plan was go to Arkansas where hed already bought a house. Like he wasn't gonna stick around. And I mean he wanted to help his country, he really did, but he already knew what the what was coming, what was coming. And then you know, I was talking to provincial governor in Shindan. He's like, you all are lucky in America that you don't have people on two sides of you, countries, two sides of you, i e. The Pakistanis and the Iranians meddling in your affairs at all time. Yeah, right, never mind the international interest in our country, like like we got Russia and you u US, Yeah, the Chinese, all these other you know we we're dealing with a heck of a lot more on a geopolitical scale than people are understanding. And for me, I was there like okay, this is way more complex. Yeah, they're in a dangerous part of the world and we were living in it. Yeah.
Speaker 2: So two years training the MEW and then what was the next stop for you?
Speaker 1: Back to Marsak uh where I went to the component level as the current operations officer, so I was managing with the ops team all of the Marsak operations follow So I went from the you know, the regiment. I went from battalion to a regiment and then up to that. So I did that for uh about only about five months, because then I got your mark to be what's called a Special Operations Liaison Element Team Leader on the twenty second U, which is a special operations cell that was attached to the MEW to help them with.
Speaker 2: SOFT like the Marsac integration, well more like MEW Big Marine Corps integration with SOFT not just Marscoch.
Speaker 1: You know, say National Mission Force needs to come in and land on the aircraft. I would a the carrier. I would go in and help manage, you know, the L and O stuff between those two. Or if we're going to go ashore somewhere and do some training and there was a special operations unit there, I would get the Marines and at the soft unit together and talk about what that training could look like. In our case, we got really lucky. I had a great uh new commander named Todd Simmons, and he he really gave me free reign. He made me member of his of his of his staff, and I took him all around the soft world, Tampa Bragg. We went overseas to sock your sock af uh talked sock sense, got him tied in with all of his six and above level people, said he could have those direct conversations. And I made sure that I shared every piece of information and intelligence that I had with him, you know, on an equal standing. And so he and I would fairly regular meetings. And when we got deployed, we were given the mission to support the Liberation of cert Libya, which is Operation Odyssey Lightning, which which which I managed and ran with new for four months.
Speaker 2: So SIRT we didn't have a the embassy. Of course in Tripoli. What were you guys evacuating out of.
Speaker 1: Cert No, the ISIS had taken it over. Yeah, and the g NA, the the the militia group that we were backing in Tripoli as the officially recognized half tars guys half Tars No no, half Tar was on the other side of Benghazi. This was like half Tar. We actually had to make it, pleaded him to like stay out of the fight, even though he was he was well ready to get into it. This was the the other the recognized government, but they had a group of militia guys that they wanted to get into cert and take take it back from ISIS. But they needed new air support and they needed a lot of different kinds of support, and so I helped got the opportunity to help manage an entire war plan by way of that. So what was that?
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, I mean because now you're, you know, creating a warplan or air campaign to support a indigenous ground force that you don't really have any control over.
Speaker 1: And they are being managed by soft elements from different countries and yeah, so I it was challenging. It's different, very challenging, and you're dealing with malicious who do all of their operational planning on Twitter. And so that's what that's a technique. Hey man, want to get it? I'm sure what time? Firefight hashtag? Let's go. You know, like, holy I couldn't you couldn't make this stuff up, you know.
Speaker 2: But it's not bullshit either, like they that kind of stuff really happened.
Speaker 1: No, really, it really didn't. And I will say that the Libyans themselves were very aggressive. It took a while, but they they fought. Isis like literally to the last man and the new the new support to them is what what made it happen?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean Certa is a or is it like a traditional hotbed of Islamic fundamentalism in Libya?
Speaker 1: Yeah? And and and it's right up on the Med in the Bay of Uh you know Bay of Bengazi. There little area that marines have some experience at a little bit short of Tripoli all that good stuff. You know. I guess I it's going back to my roots. You know, President O'Bannon probably running the first marine special operations by crossing the desert to attack Libya with six six other jar heads. So yeah, I mean it, you know, like it just now you're working at the operational strategic level and taking all the stuff that I'd done to that point, not only working with MEWS and understanding of the inner agency, and now I'm applying that, you know, with a conventional marine force that actually had really creative people on it, and Simmons was just like, go get it done. And so the I mean, I.
Speaker 2: Your impressions of the air campaign because I'd had I've had people tell me there's some very interesting kind of takeaways at least from the drone war if they were to look at like Raka, Missule sert, Uh, they're all a little bit different mh.
Speaker 1: Kind of like they found in Bosnia. Air campaigns cannot win award there on their own. Well, the Air Force will absolutely tell you that I'm wrong on that, but it's I mean, well that's why they exist. It's throp bombs and help the US Army. They absolutely can turn the tide. Absolutely augment augment. They will augment and if if employed correctly, help the momentum and keep the tempo going on a ground offensive. And that was the one thing that the me you could do is the deck cycle was just all day, every day, ten hours straight day, night, fixed wing, rotary wing, you name it. And the only thing we didn't put was boots on the ground. So although God knows they were ready.
Speaker 2: Out of Tunisia or Malta or where were they both, we were based on a boat.
Speaker 1: Oh no, shit, yeah, okay, we were on the USSAH. We dropped more ordinance than has been dropped in like ages. I got a picture somewhere of all the bombs that are painted on the superstructure of the boat. We used up everything in the magazine and then we had to ask for more from Yucom and they were not prepared for as much as they were like how many did you drop? Like we don't even have that many. Like we were just like, send what you got, fin kits whatever. So then we were getting them from other theaters and I was you know, we're talking to our soft network to load stuff onto aircraft to fly at the different places for us to send V twenty twos that then fly onto them. Yeah, the different combatant commands. Yeah, so we're moving, We're we're working across different combatant commands to enable this this fight shit. And the other thing is, you know it is precision bombing, but you know five hundred bomb is not necessarily precise. So if you look at the and you don't have your J tax on the ground either, well there are J tax controlling from other countries, from other countries, and so you'll find that the British enthusiasm is a little bit different from ours. They're actually pretty aggressive and you know they they they they were just like, well, just bring what you got, we'll figure it out, you know, and can you make it it too? That sounds great like, but but bombing is obviously destructive and people are like no ship watching really but to your point of Raka of holms, of parts of like a Fallujah, like you're clearing operation and once you get done, like cert was leveled, like this used to be the the gem, the med in where people would go to vacation insert And I've been you know, I've been boots on the ground in Libya and I've looked out over this stuff. I'm like a man, these people can get their shit together. They have a great surf spot some days. Come on, guys, and so what did you really gain by I mean, yes, we beat Isis, hooray, but there's there's nothing left right, and there's a tremendous amount of casualties. I mean, the Libyans took a lot of casualties just because they were really untrainable. We're not talking about professional soldiers. Yeah, yeah, so never confused enthusiasm with capability, and they they got after it. But you know, you want to talk about a CQB technique, they're using freaking T sixty two tanks, main guns, just the clear buildings. Yeah, it's a method. Not a lot of HR possibility with that, but you know, but ultimately they you know, they're like, we're getting this thing done. And so you you just you look at what air support can can offer, and you look at how it's employed, and then you again you make those the risk calculations. And we knew exactly we had the permissions to drop the bombs we were, We knew what the what the pieces would be, and it was just sort of like a collateral damage i e. Civilians were making sure they're not there. That was that was huge in the r O. We there was you know, we had to ensure that we were able to employ things the right way, But would you know I proportionality, portionality, and I was a jay attack as well. You know back I was trained at by the army. As a matter of fact, it's so tack years ago, and I have live controls in combat with with aircraft and just the geometries and stuff that goes into calling them in a bomb. You know, there's very tragic stories of people who've had bombs dropped on ian. Don Parnell talks about that. You know, that was you talk about things that you know go through the command like, holy shit, this just happened, and uh, you know, if it can happen, we got to figure out ways to mitigate that. So the way those things are employed and how you do it has to be measured, It has to be well planned. And like there's something called a type three engagement where literally everything forward of a line is a free fire zone. And we were able to do that in combat. But you've got to have a hell of a lot of trust in your people because now you're saying anything in here is engageable and you can do it. And so when when Cobra pilots hear that, they're like, oh my god, this is great. This is why I joined the Marine Corps. They're like, I wanted to fly.
Speaker 2: Those are like words you don't tell a cobra a pilot like now, but we did and they did, Like anything in this box yep, anything in this building is go ahead.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Ford line of Troops is right here, and they're like, okay, holy shit. So they're running toe toe and hell fire missiles or not toes because there's wire guided it. But they've got hell fire missiles off of off of the pods and the machine yea, and they're just putting them into windows. Holy shit that night being laized by somebody else that you're not talking to. It's a brave New world man. Yeah, it get gets sporty, right.
Speaker 2: So yeah, farm liaisons, soft international relationships yep.
Speaker 1: And you have to be able to maintain all of it. Yeah. And if it goes bad, where's ivan? So I mean, yeah, it's just very I want to leave a lot of permissions and respond, but there's a lot of responsibility comes with that. And but but it was all on Simmons, like he owned the entire thing. Yeah, it's like get it done yep.
Speaker 2: And when did that job kind of end or wind down for you?
Speaker 1: All of twenty sixteen, and then I came back in twenty seventeen, and then I was back at headquarters doing my ops job for another part of that year, and then I screamed to go to Jaseaber from seventeen.
Speaker 2: Before we go there, because you were at sort of this like high level component level at this point with your eyes on a lot of things as a plank owner of Marsak. You know, the regiment, the component like that stuff didn't just come out of nowhere. You must have seen all of it get built.
Speaker 1: I did, but remember that I was kind of toggling back and forth. So these things were happening concurrently right right. There was a lot of stuff I wasn't I was in the room for everything that no, no, I understand.
Speaker 2: But I mean, my question really is like how did Marsock evolve over the years, Like from where it began to where you were at that point. What were like the big changes and big evolutionary steps. You saw the organization make.
Speaker 1: Well, getting their own compound and building was huge, so having a headquarters that was dedicated was you know, and at the same time they were really developing the selection and training process and the operator course what they call it TC. So it was great at being a forced guy and being able to come into Marstock right out of the gate. But we didn't. We got grandfather did and that's what they call it, right, And we all actually asked like, hey, shouldn't we go to selection, like like everybody in Delta goes to the selection. Like, we were like, shouldn't we all do this? And they're like, we get it, but you're proven as forced guys and you're in. So we were like, but there's probably some dudes that shouldn't be here. And I probably could say that about myself, right, Like, you're just like that that process needed to be developed, and they did a good They've done a great job with that. And John Daily is well with that quite quite significantly. You know, there's a lot of people who do that, but he he definitely got the chops, not only from his time in the debt, but also you know in Marsock proper and John Daily taught me how to do commanded. I think he still works there. Actually he does, he does, and that's one of the reasons it works is because he he's a continuity. He's a long long standing member, right, So they that was a big one. Becoming regionally focused was a big one. So that you mean we weren't just all all in on Afghanistan. I still think we should have pursued our direct action side of stuff. I believe that we should have made it made him Marck got very involved in Somalia too, didn't that. Yeah, I think we should have pushed a little harder to get into Jaysock with a with an operational arm That may be coming at some point, but it's been talked about and shelved many times.
Speaker 2: What do you think that would be? Would that be like an HR capability or what do you say?
Speaker 1: Well, you've already got to two two s m us that that that that run that, and they would just be more in the quiver. You know, it would be another, I mean a third force you need. If you're going to have rating forces, then you need to have flexibility to be in different places at the same time. And I mean not getting too deep into the TTPs, but there's a lot of horsepower that goes into spinning up that stuff, and it's taxing on the headquarters, it's taxing on the unit that goes and does it. And then you've got to have reserves to be able to you know, continually maintain and so I mean we all came from second force or Force recon. For the most part, we were all direct action guys. That's what we were trained to do. And then they were like, okay, we'll be fit guys. And it's sort of like that's a hard pivot. So Bartak got really good about doing that and diversifying the training and diversifying the way they did that. They got in They also developed a specific kind of eighteen alpha officer team leader training program. I think they should probably expand that a little bit more into the staffing area because I think that's what makes like USUSAK Warcom for that matter of Jaysock definitely is people as they complete commands, then they go into staff's professional development exactly and they can take kind of the thing that I was doing ad Hawk as I went through my career. They should be looking at building officers who were doing that. And that's not to say they are earmarked people that they're but we have yet to have in Marsak, even though it's been around for twenty years, a homegrown guy who went through selection and has now led the unit. That's going to take a while, right right, So in SF for the range of regement that would be unheard of. Now yeah, yeah, you just wouldn't have someone commanding the rage regiment. It was not starting as a arranger. Yeah, there's no way that's that's the same way. So we've got some growing still to do. But that diversification was big, and then MARSAC has really leaned to equipment, It really leaned into training is very adaptive. The training they have a no kidding G seven which is exercise and plant and exercise and training, not just selection and training over here at the schoolhouse, but also so like no kidding, how they train units to deploy and it's it is iterative and it's also something they evaluate and make changes too to make better. So they've done a really tremendous job with that as well. And the intelligent section of mars soaks is really quite good, and they've got special activities and they've got all kinds of imagery specialists. I would like to see that be less sort of hey you surf here, now you go somewhere else. I'd like them to keep them there. But the Marine Corps really more like, no, you can do some time here.
Speaker 2: In the world, like they should have their own Reki or Afo element exactly standing and it just does its own it does its own thing, and it's and it's so there's but but Marsac has has has really developed in that capacity.
Speaker 1: And the other thing that got really good at was they invested in psychology and having psychologists on hand for people coming back from war and and you know, you talked about it with with Nate from Valhalla. You know, the stigma of mental the burdens that you carry around. You know, we talked about it at dinner. There's only so much stuff you could put in the rucksack till you finally fall over. You can carry for a while. I'm pretty tough, but after a while it's just gonna get too much. And so they did a great, really good job of having that as an available thing and no stigma. You just wanted down and have a couch trip. Yeah, it's that. You know.
Speaker 2: The word that gets used all the time is like resiliency. The thing is like these guys are resilient. They did like twelve deployments, Like they're super resilient people, Like.
Speaker 1: They need a different type of help. It's not just resiliency, right, and they they the person carrying that to bring someone home from a deployment and be like, Okay, we're sending you to the schoolhouse for a break. Being a selection and training is not a break, right. That's you're busy, and so now you're not at home all the time and you're doing you're running selection courses and you're an operator training courses nine months long. I mean, you're you're a lot of the CODs got to run that.
Speaker 2: A lot of the SF guys will tell you that they're away from their families more often when they're running those selection and training courses than when they're on a no DA.
Speaker 1: That was how I that. That was how it was for my family when I was at aaRSs, the is AOI s we were, you know, we were I was not in the fleet. Yeah, but you were busy. But I was training for reconnaissance courses a year and they're ten weeks long and in between. Now you've got to plan everything for each course to make sure that you got your air support and all your training areas and AMMO and everything else. I mean, it's it was a big lift working on Sundays and you're supposed to be away from the fleet. You know, you're not right, You're not operation. It's not a break. So so I hope that helped answer that. But I mean, you know, I think that the processes and you know, we maybe put a little too much marine stuff into it, but it worked. Yeah.
Speaker 2: So then tell us about this position that you screened for.
Speaker 1: I was. I was the deputy director of Operations for Naval Special Warfare Development Group, and they marsh Hawk, the Marine Corps and Navy Special Warfare really large, wanting to have more inter inter service cooperation, cooperation and work, and so they're looking for an end free assistant OPSO to work with the unit, and they wanted a Marine and me and some guys went up there and screened and they picked me. So I'm not sure.
Speaker 2: That's pretty cool. Yeah, so pretty cool opportunity to have.
Speaker 1: And I was there for almost five years. Wow, that's a long run too, it is.
Speaker 2: It was my last assignment in the Corps. Soon I did not get.
Speaker 1: The Talian command, so I pivoted as a lieutenant colonel too.
Speaker 2: So at this point you're pretty like intimately involved in mission planning for the national mission for US.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and you're on standby and you're there for you know, not just working there, but also doing other projects within the you know, once you're behind the wire, you're you're kind of free help. Also to Jay Socker, if they need somebody, they can call you in and say, okay, we need this mission and someone to come help without with that, or need somebody to go to this country and have a conversation, right right. So I had a lot of flexibility too, and I worked. I worked. One of my portfolios was working with a lot of foreign soft equivalents British Canadians, French, Australians, so that that was all interesting Germans.
Speaker 2: Was that to coordinate like training or operational stuff both?
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, depending on what we were doing, because some of those countries have different permissions and different relationships with countries that we might want to go work in, but we don't necessarily possess the same you know exactly relationship.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they have different access and sometimes radically different roes.
Speaker 1: Impressively, So.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I so from I mean, you were there for quite a while, I guess first off, like any anything that's like jumps out at you, any like memorable experiences.
Speaker 1: Well, I mean the whole. I equate it to working as an offensive coordinator for an NFL team, and so you're always practicing, you're always doing stuff. I can't get too deep into the actual details of operations for obvious reason. Sure, never mind the people who are there, but I will say the resourcing, the equipment, the access permissions second to none. Their ability to to adapt and change not only their tactics but the way they approach things is truly impressive, just based upon who they are. I mean, Vice President Pence came and visited, so we got to see him, and there was always dvs and people that we were, you know, doing they call him dogg and ponies, but capabilities, demonstrations, things like that, so that, you know, that was kind of interesting. Operationally, Yes, there were people deployed all over the place. I mean, certainly the withdrawal from Afghanistan. Everyone was integraly involved in that. By that time, I was actually starting my my glide slope out of the out of the Marine Corps. Although I was still still there, it was still plugged in. But like Scott Man's book Pineapple Express, like I was, I was involved in some periphery as part of that as well as what I was doing with you know, while I was still on active duty, and so I had to straddle this line of kind of you know, being able to see all of that unfold, you know, in real time was not only fascinating but also tragic. It's not like we could see Ibby Gate was gonna happen, but you just you just watching this chaos and just trying to We're all sifting through tons of information trying to figure out like, what's what this thing gonna look like and how it just it took. It took everyone by surprise. I'm not gonna lie. I mean, you should be no surprise that kind of the Afghanistan was gonna fall the way that they did. But the fact that we were just so on our heels, particularly from Washington down that was that was a difficult thing to work through. One of the things that I was there under two presidential administrations, so I got to got to work with very different sides of the National Security Council as well.
Speaker 2: One of the things that I heard, and I'd be interested to hear your thoughts, was that you know, the US military, including like the Jaysawk elements, at least for a time weren't really allowed to go outside the wire on these rescue missions, and it was really like the Germans and the Brits and others that were able to.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there was there was a little bit of hamstringing get after. Yeah there was. There was a little bit of hamstringing in that. I think everyone was frustrated with that. It makes me very frustrated right now to hear that Chris Donna, who was the last man out of Afghanistan, he was, you know, storied career, that he would even be smeared that somehow he didn't do enough or the right thing. You think he went above and beyond. I think every every experience I had with Christanna who working with him, especially when he was the DSO or the d O, the director of Special Operations in the Pentagon, and the work that I did, you know, with some of these missions that we had to run, and the experiences I've had with him, you know, prior to that, and watching what he was doing Underrundy. Absolutely, he's the tea is the kind of leader. There's a reason they gave me a second airport. Like people would jump out of airplanes for Chris Donnie.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean I think the military has to take its lump sometimes, but in this case they really did get handed like a big bag of shit.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well it was more like it was a bag of shit with the bottom being a callander. So it was just like just everywhere.
Speaker 2: And the State Department was in charge of the whole damn thing, notionally if nothing else that had never gone well.
Speaker 1: It never was a knee Radioshimoto said the same thing when he's talking about Eagle Claw. Yeah, right, so it has never gone well. And I went to the high risk course at Foggy Bottom where the State Department sends their diplomats in case they're going into really difficult spots, and just their mindset is completely different. Are we not having the State dinner tonight? No, a fucking bomb just and off in the front yard. But I have so much wine, Like different world. It just but the mindset is completely different. And we we deliberately brought military people into that course so that they could get a flavor of like neo planning and Moli ship all that other stuff. Yeah, And there was just moments like after, you know, at night, I go out with the rest of the you know, Jaysaw guys, and other dudes, and we said down and we're like, what where are we? Like? Is this this is how they do this?
Speaker 2: Well, as we were saying earlier, the priorities are drastically different.
Speaker 1: Yes, a fantastic book to read is The Ugly American. And if you know that that's true. It's a fictional, fictional account of basically the French and US relationship and involvement in Vietnam in the fifties, and all the tenants in there are absolutely true, just as the guy writes. And I'll just leave it at that. But you just read that and you're like, Okay, I want to understand how we got here, Like what's this? Is it? And it's and it's been in the mindset for I mean, even their diplomatic security officers who I would go and do work with and we would train with different, uh different things in case we had they do an embassy reinforcement not only has marines with the MEW, but also bringing in small teams is just part of whatever whatever the the mission happened to be. They'd be like, yeah, well we kind of got to deal with uh, the ambassador and we kind of got to you know, the stuff.
Speaker 2: Those DSS guys deal with is off the wall sometimes.
Speaker 1: And some of them have been in some incredibly dangerous situations and performed wonderfully. Like I'm not discounting anybody.
Speaker 2: They've like been in armed standoffs with the host nation in some cases and that shit never makes for the.
Speaker 1: News, of course. And they've been in gunfights. I mean, they're the only law enforcement officer who has jurisdiction in all over the world, not the embassy. Yeah, yeah, for sure. And it's it's the stuff. I mean, I was looking at DS's pretty heavy to get, you know. I was like, it's like a pretty cool job.
Speaker 2: They have like investigative authorities over the embassy and the personnel there.
Speaker 1: And do a lot of passport uh fraud controlled Yeah yeah, yeah, No, that's a pretty diverse, pretty diverse portfolio.
Speaker 2: Those guys get worked, though, they do. They get worked. I you mentioned Pompeo. The DSS guys had to backfill his whole security detail after he was the VP.
Speaker 1: Or No, I'm not thinking I cannot Pence Pompeo. Yeah, but but but I I can only imagine. I can only imagine being on Hillary Clinton's detail. She's like, I'm going to get out here to hear square and go out for a walk. Yeah what no, ma'am, what did you say? And you gotta let it happen.
Speaker 2: But maybe she's just gonna get flowers on her sniper fire. That might happen, you know, I know, Hey, come on, we can.
Speaker 1: Deep dive a little more burbon, we can, you know, yeah, but so but I digress. Well, but you know the other thing is that you're really tied into all these these these high level decisions, and you're and you you kind of do get to understand behind the scenes. And and I did work with you know, Scott Miller pretty pretty closely on on on a mission, and uh, you get to meet these these people. They say, no, don't meet your heroes, but I got to meet a lot of my heroes and and and and got to to go visit you know, the chowholl At Brag, which is pretty good. And and you know, and and experience, get that kind of experience and talk to people and and you just you know, they put me through a completely different jump course, which I had a fantastic time doing. I mean, I I got out of the military with with more jumps on I ever thought I would have. I enjoyed that. I really had. Well, it was the jump course. Uh well they have their own uh they have a they have their own course, but that they run outside of Yuma or or Coolie, Arizona. They have their own course and made the Advanced Tactical Infiltration. That's a tech and that's good. That's that is actually run by the Army. That that is a part, that is a part of the profile of training. But for me, because as a support guy, they were like, hey, if you're going to jump in with us, not that you're going on the X, but if you're going to jump in as part of a support you have to be able to jump our gear. You have to jump out profile. So they they basically sent me back to jump school for a week. And I'm like, this is awesome, Like you get to do you know, stuff like that. So I I enjoyed just the tempo. I enjoyed the amount of training I got to do and got, you know, and I enjoyed the missions they thought I was exposed to. I mean, I got to be I wanted to be involved in hostage rescue and I got to do hostage risky stuff and that that's something you don't get to get.
Speaker 2: To see or do very are you allowed to talk about that at all? Uh, you asked the question and we'll see what was the mission that So there's there's that's the pot. Yeah, Like we're not going to mention I'm not going to mention a country.
Speaker 1: I'm not going to mention a name.
Speaker 2: But like overall mission profile, what what had to get done here?
Speaker 1: So going back to State Department getting country clearances for us. So if you go into a country with military force that has not been permitted permission, you're giving given permissions called an invasion marine course. Really good at that kind of shit. R me two for that matter. I mean they got they got I racked twice, so why not so or parts of Iraq? It came back to wait. But so you got to coordinate with the State Department to get a country clearance, to be able to instip clearance to diplomatic clearance and permission to do what you want to do inside of that country. It's not like hey, we're showing up and can you give us some local talent, where like everyone needs to be out of the way. We need to do this thing. We need we need certain amounts of support, but ultimately what we what we require most is to not be impeded. So whether it's helicopters or you're doing a jump profile, or you're you're doing something that is going to give you the best chance of success. Yes, it's not there's this Jason Bourne. Shit doesn't well for some people that exist, but not not at this level. Right, Like, it's it's very you know, you're not telling you your entire operation plan, but you're just saying, look, this is what we've got to do the area. Yeah, and you you're the country is aware of what you're going in there to do. So in case of the hostage rescue, let's say you know the person is being held in a specific area and you've got the intelligence to go and get it, go and get them. You have a very short window to do that, and things have to happen very fast, and you have to get those permissions and and so that you can move because time is everything.
Speaker 2: But sometimes you're moving so fast that all the pieces aren't lining up here, or.
Speaker 1: You get moving with what you have in line and you you hope the rest of it will catch up. And in our case, in one mission, the ramp was open and they were ready to go the jumpers and they had not gotten the permission by way of the State Department.
Speaker 2: So yeah, so like people listening when they say the ramp is open, like these guys are like minutes, if not second second jumping.
Speaker 1: Dropped up full oxygen, rady to go. Yeah, one leaves, everyone's leaving. There's no like, oh well wait, hold up, so we didn't get ship and so they're literally like green green light is on jump or go. It's just we are weird, just waiting. Holy fuck. And so I'm on the phone with a lot of different people and as are other people. And it finally came from the front office, I e. Uh, the White House. So were they like running racetracks up there and they're holding pattern. Holy shit. So yeah, tension's really high. Yeah, you know, you've got you've got overwatch on the objective, you got overwatch on the people because you got to track, you got to track the jump. They're already over sovereign airspace at this point in another country from which they've launched, so now they're in the air. We're all waiting. Got a bunch of stuff lined up. Never mind your QRF and everybody else who are on standby and you're just waiting for go. And then the White House finally gets involved, and I mean the White House, and then it's all of a sudden, like everything's set go. Did it take the President picking up the phone? Yep, yeah, not to me, but to the host yeh yeah. It literally was like, hey, what are you doing on Saturday? Why don't you come golf with me?
Speaker 2: And we'll right, it's worth your while, Like yeah, exactly, let's talk.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but that's really what it came down to. And then oh, this sky's clear and we you know, so jumpers go, they're able to land offset and then they patrolled and basically had a movement to contact and did a hasty assault and rescued. They got it, and then we've we've pre planned like contingencies for beta, ACT for QRF and extract and nobody recognizes when shit goes right. Yeah, and it went right.
Speaker 2: I remember when this happened, again not mentioning any names, but I remember when it happened. If it happened, it was very Yeah, it was sort of like a blip on the radar, right, it was just sort of like, yeah, this thing happened, and it was acknowledged.
Speaker 1: In some like wire you know, reports on like Associated Press or whatever. It got on Fox News for a for a throw the news for something like a like you said, a blip, yeah, yeah, like oh that's interesting because it went down, right, But what do you want your market phone? You know what I mean? Like, yeah, yeah, I did, and.
Speaker 2: They smoke checked a bunch of bad guys and got the hostagetity.
Speaker 1: And that was That was very That was probably one of the most intense things I've been involved in, not because I was on the ground with them, but because I had been on another one. I had been in another HR that did not go well and people were wounded and we we eventually eventually these guys were recovered. But at that point in time, it got you know, you want to talk about if second guessing things that happened on the ground and tactics, If you've done this, why didn't they push harder? I mean, as Winston Churchill says, you know it said after Gallipoli, I'm not comparing this to Gallipoli because you know, now the terrible ifts will accumulate, right, yeah, And so that's what it comes down to. You like, well, how did this happen? And did he make the right decision to pull back? And in some cases, yeah, I think that it is. I think I know the one you're talking about and so so so then you're like, was it mission failure or did we succeed enough? And if it ended eventually and it did with the guys being recovered again through a different means, but we still we never we never lost hope, right, that was going to happen. You're like, well, well we get another swing at this, right, or did we did we let this guy down in their families because you're putting a lot of effort against one to two people, but anybody's like, oh, they don't have value American lives. Listen. When I was there, there's a scene in that movie Proof of Life where they've got all the names and everything all lined up on the board of like who who's involved in KNR and they're trying to figure out because this is a private firm, you know, in the movie. It's obviously a movie, but we actively tracked everybody who is you know, kidnapped or or you know, sometimes it could be just a KFR kidnapper ransom thing involved with an oil company, but other times it could be a political thing. But we track every They track everything if some if something happens and someone goes missing, and we there's constant evaluation like, Okay, do we have proof of life? Can we go get this person? Can we you know, we'll go talk to their families. The FBI will go and talk to them as well. We're trying to understand everything we can, and time is of the essence. It's all about time and doing it quickly and doing it and also being careful.
Speaker 2: It reminds me of We had a says guy that we interviewed on here one time, and he pointed out he was not a part of it, but he pointed out this sort of like a lesson learned, an aar kind of comment.
Speaker 1: During the Gulf War, there's.
Speaker 2: An SAS patrol that deployed. They were infilled into the desert for reconnaissance mission.
Speaker 1: Before that, before that, right before that, they got out there.
Speaker 2: And it was just flat desert out in every direction and the patrol leader was like, the train's totally different than what we anticipated, not what we saw on the map. It does not support the mission that we have planned. And he aborted and had the birds come in and take him out, and people there's tremendous pressure to do operations early on the Gulf War, but that happens everywhere, so you're right, yeah, and then the next patrol that went in, you know, people were cursing this guy out.
Speaker 1: The next patrol that went in was Provac zero. You know. And I've spent a lot of time with the Special Air Service that I have. I have friends who are still on active duty there. I work with former members who who were now out, but they were there at that time. They knew those guys, and they're also very good about the lessons learns that come after that. And so yeah, there there will always be that second guessing. And so, you know, did the commander and make the right decision to abort the mission? Did should they have continued pushing the fight to you know, get the hostage who we later found was literally within like fifty yards fifty meters of them if they if they pushed the fight. But now you've got two guys down, one who is literally shot perfectly like he was like the arranger in Blackhawk down Jamie, you know, who ended up dying obviously, But I'm sorry I can't remember if that's terrible ultimately, you know, but what comes of that we get quick clot we get ways that we can now do battlefield to survive. Your battle field survivability goes up. So then after that we start evaluating, Okay, well how did he get hit? Well, the guy fired through the doorway and he was getting ready to make entry. And this is what happens when you're gonna do you know, this a very dynamic and dangerous business. And when I so that guy went to the hospital and he ended up making a recovery, up full recovery, but he lived, he lived, and he was we're talking about many bordering on years of recovery.
Speaker 2: Yeah, for people who are like listening to this, like when you get shot in the pelvis, not that I know what the hell I'm talking about, but there's a bunch of obviously bones and arteries that run through that area, so you get shot there like it's a that's a very dangerous and quickly fatal loon.
Speaker 1: So the medics did a fantastic So remember there's this huge firefight going on, You're going in to rescue at you've got a guy down on the doorway. So you've got to pull him back. He's now a priority. The mission has not ended, and you got to get him evacuated. So now I'm juggling all this stuff back back on the rear, like making all this happen. So I'm on an airplane. I hadn't seen this guy in ages, and I'm on an airplane and I see him come on and he's walking on a cane, and I said, holy shit, dude, how are you? How are things? He's oh man, hanging in there. You know. I said, listen, I'm gonna buy you a drink. I've owed you a drink. In fact, I probably owe you a brewery, right, But I have carried around a long time that you got shot. And the reason why is I'm the guy that got the mission approved to put you in there. And he goes, I do it all over again. Yeah, of course, what are you gonna do it? Right? So he's like, how about fifty beers? Like, you know, you would have done the same shit if without a doubt. And so the junctaposition of those two missions is one is like really successful, and we were like jumping up and down and really excited. That's a really tough pill to swallow for the operators. Oh yeah, well so you know, I they did come back, and there was some dejection and there was a lot of like the finger pointing is not the right word because they don't do that. They're professionals and they don't get into like, well he did this and he you know nobody, but we didn't.
Speaker 2: A bunch of like a type personalities. Mission failure does not go over mop and.
Speaker 1: But but it is part I hate to say that, it is part of the risk assessment. Yeah, and it is, you know, the evaluation of you're going to commit those resources and you're going to risk life, limb, eyesight machine and all these other things that are going to go in there. We're making that decision before we ever say go, and then when we go, we go, and you go as hard as you can.
Speaker 2: So I got to ask, how is that hostage ultimately pulled out of there?
Speaker 1: They negotiated it, gotcha.
Speaker 5: Yeah, Yeah, they negotiated it adroitly. I'd say that was actually and it was, and it was likely because of the effort that was put against them.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they were like, ship man, we don't want to deal with this anymore. Yeah, they're not. You've you've you've, you've, you've outlived your value. Well then they whacked they whacked these guys on the freaking you know objective. But there were just more dudes there and they were just like, okay, we can't fighten this out. So you know, they made the right decision. Yeah. And when that, when that was unfolding in real time in front of you, is just like, you know, you have to react and know when you got to be calm, and you gotta even though you're in the ops center and you have to maintain the ability of managing chaos and still keeping everything in line, you still have to continue and and so I think that's that's one of the things that you know, they're the flexibility that it is given there is tremendous. And so yeah, I I was involved in three of them. I did three uh causes rescues all of them, all of them successful recoveries eventually. So yeah, I guess I could say, you know, I'm pretty what was number three, separate, separate guy in another place? Another place? Yeah, and how did that one turn out? That one was actually less dynamic?
Speaker 2: Uh?
Speaker 1: He actually wouldn't he like walked in was like go pick this guy out. Yeah, they're kind of like, hey, you know, we we we found it. You still have to you know, you put put the infrastructure together to go make it happen. But that's actually, you know, while I was exciting on one level as you're getting you know, full Hollywood type shit, you know, for these other missions and the dynamics of being in combat, how much easier is it to just us like get them and and that you know, the results still the same, you just have What was really good about that one is, you know, there was a leveraging of local infrastructure to really kind of do that in a much more clandestine I would call a cerebral way. And they'd been looking for that guy for a really long time, or he'd he'd been he'd been in captivity for a really long time. And when they got him, I was like, I imagine, how do you how do you integrate your family right? How do you reintegrate with the world. You know, it's it's a very difficult, you know, And I wasn't on the receiving end of that, you know, I was never I didn't do the post your recovery interviews. Our psychologist did that in the USBI all kinds of people.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's a place down in Texas where they do that, don't they They do them like hostage rein agree.
Speaker 1: Well, they do it all. They do it all over the place. But it starts as soon as they grab him. As soon as they got him out, like you know, they give him something to drink or whatever, and talking to the cave bro. Well, I mean actually yeah, I mean what in the case where they where they walked in and and stitched up the bad guys in a pretty pretty good fight. The lead guy dove on the hostage because because I mean, there's a there's a crazy ass firefighting all around him. And when all the gunfire stopped, I was he apparently like it was like ear to your mouth to ear with him. Was like, hey man, we're Americans, you okay? And the guy was like, I don't know, and he was like, could you get off me? Because we're talking to dude about my size. He's wearing a full full body armor and everything, and his adrenaliness spike because he just jumped out of an airplane and walked across the desert, you know, for for two hours. I can't imagine the.
Speaker 2: Fire for what that feels like, you know, like the accounts of like the Kurt News rescue in Panama, where like you're being held in a fucking jail cell in a foreign country and all of a sudden, these commandos show up and they're like, we're American soldiers. We're here to bring you home. Absolutely like holy shit.
Speaker 1: Well, I mean there's a marine for Consistance unit that did did a uh uh I think it was an oil tanker recapture and the crew had barricaded themselves down inside of the ship's secondary steering, which is you know, so if something happens in the.
Speaker 2: What was this before the gew water after? This is during the GWAT. This is only a few years ago. Only we could look it up. I'm embarrassed that I don't have the full details. But they the ship had been had been hijacked.
Speaker 1: The forced platoon assaulted the ship and then they they cleared it and as they got down into the lower lower part of the sorry to the aft steering, they were banging on the door. They're like, hey, come out. They're like we were not coming out, like you you who are you? And the guy pulled his American flag off of his gear and he slid it under the door, oh ship, and the guy was like book and he opened it up. He was like, thank god. Yes, you know you don't think that has any currency. Yeah, that's pretty impressive. That's awesome.
Speaker 2: So uh, I mean, I I just realized I've been talking.
Speaker 1: Your ear off for like three hours here. I've been talking your off Like.
Speaker 2: No, I mean, I love it though, and I'll keep you going all that. No, I'm not going to I got nothing else to do, Like this is great, so you know, and so like you mentioned that you're sort of like winding down in your Marine Corps career before we move on, like big takeaways from this Jaysock experience five years mission planning.
Speaker 1: Uh, well, I think it was the culmination of my obviously it's not just the culmination because it was my last assignment, but you know.
Speaker 2: You got to use all of your skills and experience and put it all together.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I think that's really what it comes to is I I got the opportunity to put it all into practice. It's almost like studying a martial art for a really long time and then you're I'm not saying you went out on the street to get in a fight, or whatever. But somehow you just finally felt like you had pulled it, like you had learned it, and you not, you couldn't keep learning. And even the best martial arts will tell you that you're always learning, and you should be, whether you're writing or what have you. But for me, I was like, you know, this is going to be the end of my career probably, and just being able to be able to being able to look at my career to that point and say this is where I want to go and having achieved that was was huge.
Speaker 2: You went further than marines were a quote unquote supposed to go.
Speaker 1: Probably there are a lot of marines we are going to see this and be like, yes, yes he did. Whether what I.
Speaker 2: Mean by that was that you guys were literally like not allowed to be a part of the Special Operations community for so long.
Speaker 1: That's how it was when you first started.
Speaker 2: And for you to stand up Mars socer be a part of that and then go up and have this Jastock position is like you went further than people would have expected any marine to go.
Speaker 1: It was it was not ever in the plan either. Yeah what I mean yeah? Yeah, so yeah, I mean it was, uh it was. It was tremendous, and people ask like, hey, if I joined the Marine Corps that you know, if you if you can map your career like I did, I tell you right now, go ahead do it. Yeah yeah, but there's no guarantees, right.
Speaker 2: No, So before we move on, I guess, like, I'm kind of curious about, like what it's like to sit in those options watching the ISR feed the thermal coming in, and you mentioned some like pretty tense moments. But then like the other like imagery that comes into my mind is from uh, what was it Patriot Games? Where the guys sitting there watching us, sipping on a coffee like that is a kill.
Speaker 1: That is straight Hollywood ship. I'll tell you it. I mean, you got to get sleep, especially if it starts to become a little more protracted. When you deploy, you don't know how long you're going to be gone for. Even if you stand up in the op center, you I would sleep in the office, sleep in the couch because you never know. Somebody had to wake you up. You didn't You couldn't drive, even though I lived close by, you'd lose time driving. So you just sleep there and people bring any food and you know, sometimes it'd be quite boring, but then it would ramp up. And I can tell you that, you know, when the tension is there, everyone is really legitimately focused. And then when it's when it's happening and you're watching the whole thing unfold. Aside from just people having short conversations with that's all mission oriented or picking up a phone, it is quiet. It is very quiet, and everyone gets professional. It's really professional. And I do remember like when when that guy got rescued and they were like, hey, positive recovery nine tangles down everything, you know, we're doing s s. We we were like erupted in cheers like it was.
Speaker 2: It was awesome because you guys have been a lot on Pinzanninah.
Speaker 1: Yeah for so long. Yeah No, that was like that was like a three day like day on Stay On. You know that I was getting a couple of hours here and there where I could and uh, you know, everybody wants to be that guy. I'm not going to bed like I got it, like he just can't attention is you have to figure out how to moderate it. Yeah, well, I mean you did in combat too, right, I mean you can't you can't go forever and then unless I for all the stuff and things I was exposed to and got to do. I was never in a Fallujah, you know, I wasn't in a in a Marsha protracted week two week campaigns where you're just living out of your gear. You know. A lot of it was commuter warfare. You're flying in, you're going out, you're having breakfast by, you know, before the sun comes up. I mean yeah, zero three hundred call. Yeah. I mean it's like, yeah, I'm not gonna say it's easy, but it's different. You you get you get used to a certain way of of of of serving. And my hats off to the infantry. My hat's off to those guys who who who have gone and done that stuff. And like I said, I had been my first interests between I would have loved to have had that opportunity with them. So, I mean, yeah, it was a heck of a the heck of a run. Talk to us about retirement. In retirement, I am a writer. I also do a little bit of consulting on the side. I work with a company based out of Holland called AFG Advanced Forces Group, which I do a lot of advisement work with mostly retired guys.
Speaker 6: Uh.
Speaker 1: Some of them are SOAK guys, some of them are Special Air Service, some of them are Dutch Special Forces and train NATO SOFT. I call it board room mercenary. You do a lot of stuff, especially with planning, working, helping helping their planning process get better, and understanding special operations, employment and things like that. And we also do stuff with combat mindset and how you train your your teams or trained people as a team in organizational development. So I do that, and then I'm primarily a writer. I do all kinds of different writing. I do expository stuff. I do evaluate our commentary pieces. I have a substack, certainly. I've got my four books which you can find on Amazon, and you should.
Speaker 2: We can go into those as well. What's the substack? Where can people find that? That's Ivan f Ingram.
Speaker 1: It looks like I N G R A H A M dot substack dot com. What do you read about on there? That is? Actually I actually look at it writing as a craft. That's much like playing an instrument. You have to practice. And my substack is honestly a way to declutter my mind, whether it's current events or reflection pieces or just something that's coming up in my brain. It helps keep everything level so that I can actually focus on my other writing. So it's it's a weekly I do some stuff from my paid subscribers exclusively for them, but it's a weekly delivery of just stuff I talk about. So I've been doing it since January and I do about two articles a week. Damn it just okay, yeah, well, don't get lost up here. I mean, I got a lot of stuff bouncing around. But I like it because it helps me to honestly off gas and it also helps me right self edit and develop the way that I can deliver present the information, yeah, pros or what have you. And so I dabble little poetry sometimes, or I just some times I do some fiction stuff. It just really depends on kind of what my mood is. And this sometimes the stuff that pops up with current events and I'm like, oh, I'm gonna comment on that, and yeah, so's that's a really good thing. And then I've been I've got four books that I've self published, and I just signed with the Sega Group for my feature length novel, which is called Troops in Contact, and that will be out this year. Awesome just got the copy edit back, which means I got a lot more editing to do between you. But it's part of the problem.
Speaker 2: So let's start off with these ones, The Patrol Athena twenty two and Dream Job.
Speaker 1: I mean, what were these books?
Speaker 2: And these are all like kind of leading up to the novel you've been working.
Speaker 1: So I started writing while I was on deployment in twenty sixteen as a way to just capture what I had done, because I wanted my family to be able to just have a record, like, you know, what, what is what has he been doing?
Speaker 2: Which I highly recommend guys do because I get like Vietnam vet families of Vietnam veterans reach out to me all the time like how can I find out what my dad did?
Speaker 1: And it's like, man went out, I'll hook you up. Yep. Yeah. So I started that and I don't know if I thought of it as a memoir or is just a way of capturing things. And then I just started writing and I kept writing, and I kept and I would I would just fill in time as a way to kill time on deployments. It was a way to, as I talked about, to unpack a lot of stuff, and then I just said, you know what, maybe I could turn this into a book. And I thought about publishing a memoir once I got out, which I guess a lot of people do. And I talked to my friends that any any of us at this point and present company included I. But then I talked to my friend Scott Husing, who has also helped me within aociation for the novel, and he read part of the manuscript and said, you know, if you approach this from the fiction side, you might really be able to expand on this. And he wrote Echo in Ramadi, which a very successful bestseller book about his experience as an infantry company commander in Ramadi, which is a good, great book if people. I haven't read it, but he said, if you took this as a and made it into a fictional story, you can do a lot more with it as far as the characters. Whoops, as far as characters. Luckily it's not lit. And also I was very worried about authenticity and not being able to capture the things that I knew was true to me. And he's like, you can use all of that, you just weave it into the story. And I hadn't ever considered it. So I then started turning it into a novel that was really jam packed with all kinds of stuff, and he was like, okay, but this isn't this structure. You need some structure to this. At that point, I didn't even know about outlining. I didn't know anything of that stuff. If there are two types of writers, I'm a panther for sure, I'm like right by the seat of my pants. And I I started trimming things away. I don't throw anything out, I just put it somewhere else. And so those books all became excerpts or things in that the novel that didn't really fit okay. And then I said, okay, well maybe I'll just start developing stories off of that, because you need to develop as a storyteller. And so each of those books, you know, the Patrol was the first one I wrote, made a lot of mistakes with it. They're probably still in there. But it's about a patrol that I did in Afghanistan in twenty twelve as part of one of the vsos. And it's a pretty I think interesting account of leadership and kind of things that you face, you know, in dynamic and environments that change very quickly. Become very dynamic. What's the kind of like main thrust of the novel.
Speaker 2: Is it like an auto like fictionalized auto bi.
Speaker 1: Or where are you going with it? Well, it is. It's heavily influenced obviously by my career and my experiences, but the tenor of the novel is not so much a war book, although it obviously is military based. It is is meant to be sort of a retrospective for really reconciliation of a person's past. And the central character's named Steve Keller. He also runs in each of my books here, and he is haunted by the decisions he made on the battlefield, and he is visited by the ghost of his commanding officer who was killed in combat, and through a discussion with that ghost, he goes into his past to make sense of what he went through and learn something on the other side. Yeah. So yeah, it's meant to be a journey, not so much an odyssey, but take the reader down into something and come back out. And yeah it's I think it's pretty good. I'm looking forward to reading it.
Speaker 2: But I feel like I'd be remiss if I didn't ask, And I mean, this is a part of all of.
Speaker 1: These stories that.
Speaker 2: You know, we don't like do entire interviews about this particular subject, but it's like a part of everyone's individual journey, like getting out of the military, dealing with the post traumatic stress, Like what was sort.
Speaker 1: Of like your personal journey like with that. Well, I think a lot of that is captured in not only the book twenty two, which refers to obviously the twenty two veterans a day, perhaps more that take their lives statistically. There are things in there that are definitely vignette from my own past. But I interviewed five people who had attempted or really seriously considered taking their own lives, and I wrote it in hopes if someone would read it and should be like, I don't need to do this. So but that was one way of coping. The other one, as I was transitioning, particularly as an officer, there was a lot of pressure I felt to fit a certain role, like, hey, you're getting out, you're an officer, this is the skills you have. You can go work for this company and you'll make all this money and you'll be working work.
Speaker 2: For this defense contract or go get your MBA bank.
Speaker 1: Whatever it happened, right, and I felt like, this is not where I want to be, this isn't this doesn't feel right to me, and we're retiring and being able to get out the way that I did allows me a great deal of flexibility. And I captured a lot of my transition challenges in the book Dream Job, and that is about a guy who's literally a job interview and trying to figure out what he wants to do. And it is very much based upon an interview that I had when I was getting out, and that was the one that sort of said, Okay, you know what I don't.
Speaker 2: I don't have to go and do this. I can be something. So it kind of like taught you what you didn't want to do.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I got a lot of exploration on it. In fact, when I my transition program was the Honor Foundation and they're very very good. Oh yeah, they're awesome. I had a great transition coach. But even he said, I don't know what to do with you, because well he'd have been a corporate guy. He'd been an army artillery officer and he had a full career. And then he'd say, hey, you know, you can work for Barclays Bank. You can do all this great stuff. And we were working on my resume and I was sending out the cover letters and we're doing mock interviews and I was like, I just don't this is not me. That's not where I want to be. And he's like, well, what do you really want to do. I was like, I really think I want to be a writer. I want to be a creative. And he was like, oh my god, and he said he actually knew somebody, not a military person. He's like, I actually have a writer friend and he'll put you in touch with her. That's cool. So he did the best that he could. And then from there I started having more conversations. Then I got in with writing groups and different people and I had you know, stuff like that, and then I got into I started writing, started writing screenplays and doing some consulting work for Hollywood stuff, some of the military, some of it not. And I just was like, this is great. This is exactly the kind of stuff that I'd like to do. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I mean, I like try to like impart that too on when I meet especially like younger military veterans, they often have that that same mentality or idea that like, you know, they have to fit inside this box, whatever it is, whatever people think you should be in. But just because you were in your mind a big dumb ranger doesn't mean you can't go to college and get.
Speaker 1: A PhD if that's what you want to do.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, And you know, I think we should really encourage veterans to go out there and go as far as they possibly can.
Speaker 1: Well. I think there's a big disconnect with between society and debts. I really do. And not just special ops guys, because I mean, we're we're interesting, right, We're you know, people love the books, it's true, But I talked about the like Scott's book about Ramadi, I mean his experience. When I was reading it, like I knew that he had been there, but I was like, oh, yeah, I haven't been involved in that kind of stuff. Like he really had some some serious challenges. And he even talks about his own PTS. I like to call it, you know, post traumatic stress by disorder, because you don't have a disorder. Something happened to you. It's a pretty normal thing and you have to unpack this, and you know, and there's a whole bunch, there's a whole a group of female marines or veterans who have been overlooked in all of this. And this is one of the why I wrote my book Athena, which is you know, really focusing on a group of CST Cultural Support Team women that worked with me. And I didn't base it on them particularly, but I've interviewed five women who were involved in FET teams and had been you know, whether they were in special ops or otherwise, and I tried to get a handle on like what it was like for them to be you know, I was like, you know, at least the least I could do is try and come up with something, and that is at least a recognition to sacrifice. And so the VET population is I mean, I was growing up Vietnam books were everywhere, and you always knew a Vietnam VET, and they always talked about it in our capacity with deal things like things ended in August twenty twenty one in Afghanistan and it was just over. And when the State Department is just like eh, and Joe Biden's like, I reject the study of Abvigat and what happened there, And then you've got Blincoln saying, what do I care about a bunch of vets? Just some vets being pissed off about the anniversary, Like what does that say to Like, we carried this man, We carried this for twenty years alone and we felt alone, and we felt alone in our own world and we were like, remember nine to eleven, what's gonna What are we gonna do?
Speaker 2: The military is gonna take care of it. Now all of those guys are really alone. I mean when they were in theater, they fought together as a team, but now they're out there by themselves, like really having to think about this off and consider like, well, what does it mean.
Speaker 1: It's it's very it's it's difficult, and people have a difficult time expressing that and they want you know, when I was talking with guys at twenty two, I did the interview with Chris Meyer on his Profiles and Havoc podcast, and he's like why, He asked me, why why do you think people are Why do they kill themselves? And I think it's shame they're they're there. They they have nothing to be ashamed of, but they feel so lost and they feel so un acknowledged.
Speaker 2: They feel like they've become invisible. It's not their shame to carry, but they do.
Speaker 1: Unfortunately, well, right, but but it becomes really hard for someone to understand that. And when I was, you know, in dream job, as part of that interview, you know, the questions that people asked me, it was finally like are you serious? And then I realized, like they have absolutely no clue and I and so then they just said, well, okay, it's up to me, or at least I'm going to take this on and I'm going to try to bridge this gap a little bit. And I don't I I love I don't mind doing corporate I'm not I'm not going to go work in corporate environment, but I don't mind talking to corporations and people about how to be better leaders and be better in touch, and how to better understand and and and work with veterans. That's really important. So and writing is a great is my vehicle, you know, it's it's the thing that they like doing. Where can people go to find the books Amazon dot com. You can also go to my website, which is Ivan f Ingram dot com. Not very original, but it's got all my stuff there, all my contact information.
Speaker 2: We'll have some links down the description for folks who are listening to this podcast on YouTube or wherever they listen to podcast.
Speaker 1: They've made it this far. They no, it'll be down there regardless.
Speaker 2: Actually, anything else you want to tell folks about that you're working on right now.
Speaker 1: Well, I've got a I've got a companion screenplay of Troops in Contact, which I've been negotiating in negotiations with a couple of different entities to see about getting produced. I don't have any any bites, but I would really like to push that at some point. And then I've been working on this rather interesting project for the last couple of years called Torchlight, and it is about the Japanese American experience in World War Two, and not just to focus on the four to forty second and one hundredth Infantry Regiment or four to forty second Infantry Regiment Regimental Combat Team, but also the Japanese American experience of incarceration as was laid out by our United States governments as a war policy. And then it goes from there into we're trying to plan it as an eight store or eight episode arc that really examines not only things that happened in World War Two, but post war as they were. Eventually there was a lot of repatriations, and you know, this is one of the most highly decorated combat units ever. I think I've got eighteen Medals of Honor, many of which were post war awarded, the last of which the last of which were given by President Obama. So we're talking about a huge legacy his story in the United States that has been overlooked. There's a lot of stuff in there that is germane to things that are happening in this country, you know today, and it seems like we should be better than that. But I've been working on that for a while. Got a great pitch deck. Just the pilot is really tight. It's awesome. Look, we're looking for producers, directors, and you know actors. It's a diverse cast, not just for Japanese Americans but also you know actors in general. But we're really looking for for for backing. We're looking for people to get involved in it because it's a it's a heck of a story and it's it's one of the it's one of the things I'm I wouldn't keep writing on something that I don't enjoy, and I want to see this thing get made and want to see I'm working with a great team of people with this thing, and it's just really it's an important chapter. It's great and it needs it just needs to be told. Really really happy on that. So, yeah, I write a lot, and I try and keep keep everything. I try and keep everything aligned. But every once in a while, I'm like, you know, that'd be a neat project. I think I wrote a thriller as well that I'm in the process of trying to get cleaned up to move for publishing as well. But that's that's another another thing.
Speaker 2: Come to a thriller fest in June here in Manhattan or not. We're in Brooklyn, but it's a Manhattan really Okay, uh, fantastic. Yeah, I'm going to be there. Well, yeah, this would be great.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So it's I would not I would not do anything else. I really wouldn't. I mean, you know, the hours long and at least the pay socks and so. But I did that. You know, when people say you're in the military, you can do this, You'll just get paid more. I was like, you know what, I'll work at for long hours for myself and have a lot more fun. Dude.
Speaker 2: I've worked in journalism, I've written novels, written articles, been a podcaster, bro done all these different things. But yeah, it doesn't pay worth a shit. But I would be bored as fuck working in corporate America.
Speaker 1: Like there's no way I could do that. I couldn't do it either. And that was, like I said, they were just like, well, this is an easy transition for you because you'll you've already worked the long hours. We should just get rewarded for it appropriately. And I know guys who did that and they got out, they gained fifty pounds, are losing their hair. Not that I'm a spring chicken, but I mean just sitting there, you know, trying to look at looking at what they do. It just that isn't for me. Yeah, And I just I love the flexibility. And I you know, I had to ask my boss for a day off today and he said to go ahead. I E me so I I And that's that's great. That's great too. But the flexibility is unmatched and it's it's really a wonderful, uh way to spend retirement. And I've got I got a lot of I'm having a lot of fun with it, a lot of fun.
Speaker 2: Anything else you want to tell folks about before we get going? And do we have any questions stick oh boyd question okay.
Speaker 1: Uh from Corbyn.
Speaker 6: How do you see the core retooling, uh, the soft tool kit in the near future if they do it all.
Speaker 1: I guess it really depends on what we mean by soft toolkit, because if we're talking about equipment, the MARSOK is pretty adaptive. They they're innovative and go out and look for for stuff. I think probably though in a larger scale. Uh. The one thing that MARSAC has or the Marine Corps has done well that the other services have not with their special operations is kept MARSAC close. And there's disadvantages to that for sure, But I believe that the Marine Corps has come around to the idea that MARSAK is valuable and it's better to be interactive and interoperable than it is to have these two separate camps that don't really talk to each other, and that is something that needs to happen. In fact, that weighs down at the twenty six MEU and their command the Command group last or two weeks ago talking to him about this very thing, because the commander was actually the operations officer on that obviously lightning mission back in twenty sixteen, and now he's you know, he's running a mewe himself, and he has already seen the value and he's like, Okay, we need my people need to know this because they didn't get the exposure in the ability to run a mission like that. And he sees what's happening next. So I think that's a big, a big way that the Marine Corps and marsak can can can meet together and that that doesn't always happened. But like you get into the Army and USUS sockets its own entity and you don't really see a lot of interoperability, and rangers just wouldn't go out and work with another organization. I mean they barely work outside of Jaysok period. I mean I mean that's by design. I mean that's that's what he's worth there for.
Speaker 6: So cool, we got one more from Tomes Great stuff, Ivan. What are some of the story some other stories you want to get told about the Marines or the military in general.
Speaker 1: Wow, there's a lot of I mean, never run out of material, right, I mean you as we've done the research talking about tors Light, we first started out looking at just the four forty second because that had been seen before. You know, that had been seen before, and it was in certain people's It was in there. It was in there at least their wheelhouse as far as knowledge, because people have heard about the Japanese American combat unit. Daniel Annoy was a center to his metal money in the popular culture. In the Karate Hid Mister Miyagi is they make full reference to him being in the four to forty second there's a scene where he's drunk, you know, talking about his wife having passed away, and he's in his uniform and you know, he's he's got all of the letters laid out and his wife and he who in the letter. They talk about him her dying in the man's in our camp, and then he passes out and that's when Daniel, you know, finds the Medal of Honor and he's like, oh my gosh, I didn't really know about this. And so what's powerful about that scene is that nothing is really said. It's just like they've discovered this hero, which is which is how it goes down, all right. And so but as we were doing the research, we found that there were Japanese Americans who had served with Merrill's Marauders and there were guys in the oss, and there were there were women who had roles, and there was just so much more to the story. So unpacking and uncovering that kind of stuff led, you know, as we were writing it and have been coming up with the arc. It's just been like, we got to include this one and we got to add another episode on that, because so when you know the larger picture of the military stories, I mean you you could open it up, you know, in any in any direction. It blows my mind. A movie hasn't been made about Eagle Claw, movie hasn't been made about Sante, Like those were both gripping schools.
Speaker 2: We still have not gotten like a mac Vie Saga move.
Speaker 1: I mean there's a trepidation. I think to this day just a Striker Meyer movie would be enough. Deck Meto's biopic John John's awesome, you know what I mean, like that just the kind of stuff. Yeah, I mean, I.
Speaker 2: Think there is a hesitation to this day about making a Vietnam war film that isn't explicitly anti war.
Speaker 1: Well, like we don't.
Speaker 2: Really know how to process that well, And that's what I think happens in You're I'm sorry, I cut you up.
Speaker 1: I think that's what that is one of the challenges. Like first, as we have found in the Red you know, as we've been pitching this and talking to people, you get people who are interested in the story, they like the overall tone, They're like okay, and then they're like, but historical stuff is hard to make and it becomes a niche thing, and I'm just like, well, then stop it from making Masters of the Air or Greyhound or any of these other movies.
Speaker 2: Not really, man, I mean, like World War two movies have a pretty prominent place.
Speaker 1: And you don't want to see a movie about eighteen Medal of honor like Unit that had eighteen Medals of Honor and liberated docou like this unit did all kinds of crazy stuff and actually very short period of time. Yeah, but I mean, you could do stuff on the Jedburgs. You could do stuff on Peter Ortiz. The Marine's a marine, you served, you too, Navy Crosses, he's sort of in the oss.
Speaker 2: It blows my mind that here we are in twenty twenty five and there is still new information about World War Two like coming to light like I never would have thought I'd think, like the case is closed. We had a guy Jassic here a few months back who like found an oss memoir and like an archive somewhere that had like never been published, like like all this crazy stuff.
Speaker 1: I think a lot of this stuff gets overshadowed though by things like Lionis And I'm not cutting on you know, the success of another writer, but there's sensationalism there that people want to see. Yeah, and so you know, the challenge we had, particularly with towards Light, is that the history alone was interesting enough you don't need to hype it up. Well, and then that's where people are like, well, do we have a central antagonist here? We're like, well, we actually know we yeah, we do do. It's the US government, but but there's Nazi Germany, there's the job, there's all kinds of stuff. And they would but what they wanted was some of this Darth Vader character, like something that you do you know, it's just is hanging over them, and I'm like, that's not how this works. And We're and and we want to be true to the people and the families, I mean, because these you know, we were basing this on really unreal people, Unlike we're in the troops in contact. Yeah, parallels my book, but I I was able to take full liberties in areas with that, with with people who you know, in locations that I don't have to make those real.
Speaker 2: What did you think of Flags of Our Fathers and Letters from You Regima?
Speaker 1: I actually thought they were excellent, excellent films. Yeah, I mean Letters from You Regima is a really really incredible, incredible film. What I mean, You're gonna have very few, uh directors who have the horsepower like Eastwood, I mean, the balls well to do it, and some guys get away with it and some guys don't. And so like Kevin Coster tried with with Horizon because you know, he he put his own money against it and he's got a fantastic production company. But he was like, hey, I'm going to do this because I want to do this as a as a as a as a picture because it's something it's interesting to me. As far as the West, because he does like making Westerns, whereas Eastwood has got such a diverse thing and just to be able to be like, you know what, I'm going to take on a Japanese perspective of World War Two in e Regima when they're thinking when everyone thinks of regema, they're thinking John Wayne or you know basilone in the Pacific, you know, the series of the Pacific. So yeah, there's risk in everything, and there's really there was risk in in our in our military careers. There's risk in being a writer. And someone told me once like, don't read the comments. Someone's like, you know when you Rick Rubin is a very famous uh producer. He produced Run DMC and the Avitt Brothers. You want to talk about two different, you know, very different musical you know, He's just like, I hear stuff that I know is going to sell and I and I want to help you developed that. But he takes huge risk on that. And he wrote a great book which just popped out of my mind. But you know, he he's like, once you release the book, the record, the movie, it's out. There is a piece of art that you've created, and how people receive it is not up to you, right, and you wish that they would all love it. But there are dudes who passed on the Beatles. There's dudes who passed on the Rolling Stones. There are people who don't like you know, any number of paintings. There's people wh don't like George a 'keeffe, who doesn't like Georgia O'Keeffe. But there are people who are just you know, they're not into that kind of thing. I don't understand Salvador Dali. They don't like you know, Hemingway, which I think is an antithetical statement, but I mean those types of those types of risks need to be taken, and those stories.
Speaker 2: Need to be told, and stop focus grouping the shit out of everything.
Speaker 1: Take some risks. Well, it's what I told go back to seconds. I pulled all the guys together one time, one black platoon sargant and I said, guys, I recognize that you've got a ton of experience and I'm here to learn. I'm also here to lead, and I'm asking you to take a chance, take a chance on me, and if you do that, I'll make it worth your while. So anybody who wants to take a chance on my projects, and I hope they're out there, I'll absolutely make it worth your while.
Speaker 2: So yeah, anything else before we roll out?
Speaker 1: What do they say at the end of the ar covered Thank you everyone who joined us. We'll see you guys next time.
Speaker 2: Thank you Ivan for joining us in the studio or real appreciate it. Please go check out his books on Amazon, check out his substack. Like I said, we'll have some links down the description for those there's been a fun episode.
Speaker 1: It has been my absolute pleasures. Has been great. Thank you so much. I hope we can do it again sometime. Maybe soon. We'll see all of you guys again next time. Hey guys, it's Jack.
Speaker 2: I just want to talk to you for a moment about how you can support the show. If you've been watching it, enjoying it, but you'd like to get a little bit more involved and help us continue to do this, you can check out our Patreon. It is patreon dot com slash the Teamhouse, and for five dollars a month, you can get access to all of these episodes of The Teamhouse ad free. The same goes with our affiliated podcast eyes On with Andy Milburn, Jason Lyons mcmulroy. That one you will also get all of those episodes ad free. And you support the channel and the show, and we really appreciate it. The Patreon members are literally what has helped this company, this small business survive, especially during our early years, and you are what continues to help this thing going even as we navigate the turbulent world of YouTube advertising, so we really appreciate all of you guys. There's going to be a link down in the description to that Patreon page, and there is also going to be a link to our new merch shop, so if you guys want to go and get some Teamhouse merchandise, we got stickers and we also have patches, and I should mention if you sign up for Patreon at ten dollars a month, we will mail you this patch as well, so we really appreciate that. But they're also for sale on the merch shop, and additionally, they got t shirts up there, water bottles, a tote bag, coffee mugs, all that good stuff, so please go and check them out and support the show.
Speaker 1: We really appreciate it, guys. Thank you.