Speaker 1: And now for our weekly visit with the good doctor Watson. May I come in, doctor?
Speaker 2: You know me better than that.
Speaker 3: Of course you can come in.
Speaker 4: I'm expecting you.
Speaker 2: I always look forward to these Monday evenings together.
Speaker 4: You know me too, doctor.
Speaker 1: In fact, I always say, this is the one doctor's appointment that never scares me.
Speaker 3: My boy, you have to turn to make you so comfortable.
Speaker 1: Thanks, and what prescription do you have in mind for us tonight?
Speaker 3: Doctor?
Speaker 2: Let me see take one measure of subterranean peril, one of aristocratic lady in distress, a sprinkling of assorted villains, a corpse or two, and a little more than a dash of Sherlock Holmes and Dr Watson. Take the mixture well, and you have the case of the out of date murder?
Speaker 1: Or how did the adventure begin? Doctor?
Speaker 4: Was there enough?
Speaker 2: It was in September of nineteen hundred. I remember that Holmes and I went to Eastbourne for a much needed rest. First couple of days we spent in soothing idleness. On the morning of a third day, homes a dash of car back in his cheek and the hint of the old sparkle in his eye suggested that you should go and call on his good friend Evan Whitnell, curator of a nearby museum. And so just after lunch on that September day, found the two of us talking to Professor Evan Whitnell in his private office at the museum.
Speaker 4: It only seems, yet, with all your recent discoveries in this part of England have made you world famous instead of just nationally famous. My congratulations, professor, I do wish you tell me your discovery with pleasure to doctor Watson. There less than two months ago I was excavating on the Downlands in this neighborhood, when I was fortunate enough to discover a number of underground caves, caves saturated with a heavy deposit of line that gave clear evidence of having the property of rapidly mummifying any flesh human or animal deposited in them.
Speaker 2: Interesting. In what treasures have you unearthed?
Speaker 4: We are a number of mummified specimens of animals carely belonging to bygone eras. My prize specimen is the body of a large wolfhound. The inscription on its collar identified the animal as having belonged to some local squire in the year seventeen hundred and forty eight.
Speaker 5: Amazing.
Speaker 2: I didn't know that limestone has qualities of preservation.
Speaker 4: Come in, come in, yes, allan, what is it lady Clavering?
Speaker 3: Professor you asked me to tell you that she was in the museum.
Speaker 4: Oh yes, yes, yes, sir, sure up here will you allan? Very good as God. I'm most anxious for you both to meet her, and she, in turn is even more anxious to meet you.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 4: I dined with her last night. When I told her that you were coming here today, she insisted on meeting No wit.
Speaker 3: No use scoundaled with a twinkle in your eye.
Speaker 4: I suspect that Lady Clavering has yet consulted me in my professional capacity, and that you engineered the meeting. Perhaps I might have dropped a head.
Speaker 1: I own you.
Speaker 2: Professor Holmes can't become involved in another case.
Speaker 3: He's completely run down.
Speaker 4: Well, don't worry, doctor. All that Lady Clavering.
Speaker 3: Requires is a little advice.
Speaker 4: I knew you wouldn't mind. Homes Ah, helen and mind dear there you are, come along in, Thank you, Adam. Now need to introduce Lady Tlavin, Mister Sherlock Holmes, and doctor you are, my dear. Sit down here, I may as well tell you, Helena that our little pot has already been discovered.
Speaker 6: Oh, dear, and I was just getting ready to exert all my feminine wild in an attempt to persuade you to help me.
Speaker 2: Mister horn I'm certain that you find it ut irresistible.
Speaker 4: Lady Clavering, you flattened me.
Speaker 3: I mean it.
Speaker 4: The professor tells me that you're in need of a little advice, Lady Clapping.
Speaker 6: Yes, mister Holmes, I have my question Simply, five years ago, my husband, Sir George Clavering left me. This is me I haven't I've seen or heard tell him since I now wish to remarry, But of course I couldn't do that without having my husband declared legally.
Speaker 4: Did my dear Lady Clavering, I can't help dealing with the lawyer as the proper americansult not a detective.
Speaker 2: But you're suggesting that there was fould playing connection with your husband's disappearance.
Speaker 6: Oh no, doctor Watson. The Claverings are a strange family, self willed and headstrong. George and I were not happy together. I think he disappeared.
Speaker 4: Deliberately parted disappearance to the police. Of course, yes, mister Holmes. But they've never been able to trace him. This kind of thing has happened in the family before. Holmes tell him about Sir Nigel Helena.
Speaker 6: He was one of my husband's ancesters. He walked out one day in seventeen seventy seven was never.
Speaker 3: Seen again, disappearing.
Speaker 6: Knew the legend. They often threatened to do the same thing himself.
Speaker 4: But your problem, Lady Clavering, is not that of your husband's fate, but rather of your own freedom.
Speaker 6: Yes, mister her Well, I'm.
Speaker 4: Afraid my advice can be of little consolation to you. The law has specified a number of years that must have leaped before any one disappearing could be declared legally dead. I would suggest that you possess your soul in patience until that period has elapsed.
Speaker 6: Oh dear, and I was hoping you'll be able to think it's some terribly clever way of getting round the law, mister.
Speaker 4: Holmes, Lady Clavering, sometimes perhaps my methods may be unorthodox, but I assure you that getting around the law, as you put it, is a procedure.
Speaker 3: I do not indulge in.
Speaker 2: Oh dear me.
Speaker 6: I've oftend you miss your hon and it's the last thing on earth I meant to do. I was sure, my.
Speaker 2: Friends, a little touch about matters concerning his professional honor.
Speaker 3: Nonsense, my dear Watson, I'm not touching. I'm not offended. And now may I.
Speaker 4: Suggest we all examine the professor's made his treasures, and after that, perhaps you'll take us for a stroll on the downs. I'm most anxious to examine those lime pits of his. The lime pits are about a mile from here. It's a nice walk across the cliptops.
Speaker 2: I'm final, Little Curring didn't want to come with us, this charming woman, even though though she did rub you up the wrong way.
Speaker 4: A beautiful woman, Watson, but I must confess her charm and mute me alext concern about her husband's fate seemed completely unnatural and not if you'd known her husband, Sir George Tavern. He was a tyrant and a bullet, both in his whole life and in the village.
Speaker 3: Well, who's this coming towards us?
Speaker 4: It's air Timmy death Timmy, they call him in these parts. He isn't quite right in the head, poor fellow, but he's perfectly harmssed. Has two passions in life, birds and bonfires.
Speaker 5: Hello, Timmy, I've got something beautiful to show you.
Speaker 4: Oh it's so beautiful. Well what is it, Timmy? Look it's in my camp. See.
Speaker 5: Oh, isn't it lovely?
Speaker 3: Robin's egg?
Speaker 5: I found it when I was burn nesting. Did you ever see such a blue egg?
Speaker 3: It's beauty to me?
Speaker 2: Where did you find it?
Speaker 5: Mama?
Speaker 4: Gone by the line?
Speaker 3: Bits. Oh, I'm going to build.
Speaker 5: A lovely fire on the tonight. I'll let you come and watch it if you give me a shilling.
Speaker 4: Now, you'll be careful, Timmy, or you'll be in trouble again.
Speaker 5: Timmy doesn't get in trouble anymore now, not since he has George carried away.
Speaker 4: So George Tavern used to Timmy when he found him on the land. Timmy, tell me, how did you have, sir George, as you put it, carried away?
Speaker 5: I told my birds about him. I told them how he used to to beat poor Timmy. And they said they'd carry him off and drop him over the cliffs. And that's what they did, because he never came back again.
Speaker 4: Oh Lord, here comes Harris Gordos.
Speaker 1: Brother.
Speaker 4: Now there'll be trouble, Timmy. You've got a run, no, Timmy, CON's run.
Speaker 3: Her bread is pretty blue.
Speaker 4: Eh, Kenny, get off my land. I catch you here again.
Speaker 3: I'll take my riding.
Speaker 5: Timmy hasn't done anything.
Speaker 4: On beyond you.
Speaker 1: You're here.
Speaker 4: I'll tell my birds about you. That's what I'll do. Book, don't forget my bunfire Bernald's scoundrel.
Speaker 3: Hello, Hello, Harry.
Speaker 4: Have you met Shlock Holmes and Dr Watson? Oh? Sherlock Holmes the professional nosey Parker.
Speaker 3: Eh, yes, yes, Helen. I was just telling me about you.
Speaker 4: I'm very angry with her, but talking to you about my brother private affair.
Speaker 3: And I intended to remain one understand.
Speaker 2: He pull myself.
Speaker 3: What's double with your brother, sir?
Speaker 4: And with you? I'd advise you to remember that you're not addressing a half witted village.
Speaker 3: Oh can't defend himself. If you know what's good for you, you'll do what I say.
Speaker 2: Certman Bruce, he spoke to you if you were stable by home.
Speaker 3: He was quite refreshing.
Speaker 4: I'm reminded of an opposite quotation of my young friend James l Roy Flecker, dying impudence, have a monstrous beauty, like in the behind quarters of an elephant. He's almost as much disliked as his brother of the poem tell me you, does he succeed to the title when his brother is the care legally dead. Yes, and what's more, he's Helena's unofficial can't say it worse luck I see. Personally, I'm beginning to get a trifle board with the affairs of the Clapping family.
Speaker 3: Let's go on to the line case showing these caves are amazing.
Speaker 2: It must be fifty people on the level of the ground.
Speaker 3: Aren't we not?
Speaker 4: Well? More than that, I should say formation, it's most unusual a series of caves connected by a vertical honeycomber tunnel. Yes, I think i'll light the lantern now. It's to be dark in here. And I haven't explored this particular cave before, and so I got a wall cave in on me a couple of times. So you'd better watch where you're walking. Ye, Now we can see better. Let's go deeper, shall we?
Speaker 3: But do watch your stirf hmm?
Speaker 4: Given here and now.
Speaker 3: What does the courage yet.
Speaker 2: Looks like a mummified bird of some kind.
Speaker 4: It is a beautiful specimen, judging by its markings of black streak here and bars white.
Speaker 3: Author said with a pelgree.
Speaker 4: That's exactly what it is. A falcon taking back a couple of hundred years, I should say, and in a perfect state of preservation. This is a treasure. But come on, let's explore.
Speaker 2: Deeper another cave over here, old land and have a little old Oh.
Speaker 3: Lord, the whole wall collapse? What's never hurt?
Speaker 1: Are you?
Speaker 6: No?
Speaker 4: How? Time?
Speaker 5: All right?
Speaker 4: Why you run earthed another cave? Dr Watson less coda. I think we can just manage to call through.
Speaker 3: Right color. I don't believe mind quick, this is a pressure. Indeed, I don't think it preserved.
Speaker 4: Body dressed in aching sentory costume putteed with him all yes, and there's no mistaking who it is at that typical reap. Profially, it's a Clavering and it isn't hard to identify which one do you mean? The one the lady Helen had told us about this afternoon. Exactly without doubt, this is the body of Sir Nigel Clavering, who disappeared in seventeen hundred and seventy seven. Let's search his pocket through my crime has some identification. He has a stop box of the period and some coins.
Speaker 2: The inscription of George the third is still visible on them. Hello, here's here's his Dirrey. This is unbelievable.
Speaker 3: What are you up to, homes but examining the body, Watson, This man was murdered, murdered.
Speaker 4: This wound just about the hut, obviously inflicted with a sharp instrument poppaper dagger. This is interesting, an italed you experience for me, the opportunity of solving an unsuspected murder committed.
Speaker 3: Well over one hundred years ago. Fan that die watch when he won't check. Let's see if the part devil suspected.
Speaker 4: His feed m.
Speaker 2: Hard to read.
Speaker 4: All the essays look like the peaciliarity of the eighteen century writing.
Speaker 2: They are paying saying they are paying in the coffee half. But my brother Harry have been coverting my wife.
Speaker 4: This is amazing. See how history repeats itself. It's an exact parallel of the situation existing today. Harry is coverting his father's wife Helena, and Sir George has not been seen for hid.
Speaker 3: One extronic instance if it were one.
Speaker 4: As it is, it's one of the most ingenious frauds I've ever seen.
Speaker 3: Dolding appears authentic.
Speaker 4: Sort of the coins and made the ink the paper of the dari and due to the peculiar mummification of the body, it would be almost impossible to say how long it's been here. Nonetheless, I'm convinced that this is a recent cause, and undoubtedly that of Sir George Tavern.
Speaker 3: What makes you so sure?
Speaker 4: How writing the diary it can century used an S it looks like an F. It is true, But never at the end of the word you will recall Watson that you were reading H A F half or H A S hand that's perfect the two I was, well, that would be incorrect in genuine eighteenth century writing.
Speaker 3: Now, obviously this is an extremely clever.
Speaker 4: Attempt to disguise the comparatively recent murder of Sir George Flavering.
Speaker 3: It's an incredible pose.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I believe you're right. I'm sure of it.
Speaker 3: What are you gonna do about it?
Speaker 4: Do you and I?
Speaker 3: Al Chapel have gone over the body? You, my dear, with all if you don't mind, will be good enough to go to catch the police. Homes God Jack, what are you supposed to keeping the police?
Speaker 4: Witnow must have gone over and now the lantern with him.
Speaker 2: Here we are clutching the darkness, smelly cave to pick it under the cliffs to the monified corps.
Speaker 1: Who I do?
Speaker 4: Ahh, Here comes Alund to mister.
Speaker 3: W I'm the pacho.
Speaker 4: That you.
Speaker 2: That's blinding me.
Speaker 1: That doctor Watson's story will continue in just a second, and I'm going to take that second to ask you what you think of when I.
Speaker 4: Say good food. When you say good food.
Speaker 1: To me, I can see myself really going down on a piece of fried chicken, but really fried, you know, crisp and sort of a light brown. When I see that chicken, I sure want to see some Petri Kelli so turned, because, believe me, Petree so Turned, there is a white wine that's the wine for chicken. That Petrie so turn has a delicate kind of flavor, delicate like its pale gold colored. What a flavor?
Speaker 4: What a wine?
Speaker 1: If you want to swell white wine, you certainly want Petree so Turned try it and see. And now back to doctor Watson and tonight's story, the case of the out of date murder. Well, doctor you certainly had me on the edge of my chair during the first part of the story. Say what happened when Sherlock Holmes yelled out at you in the.
Speaker 2: Can I was struck from behind with a spade and knocked out. A second later, the same thing happened to homes. You see, we were blinded by the lantern and couldn't protect ourselves. When we came to, we found we were at the bottom of a pit. The wolvesman thatwin butt con.
Speaker 3: I saw no earthly way about getting out of the trap but his usual home. It's robbing.
Speaker 4: Never mind that for the moment or chat put the coat off and the shirt come on off with it. I've already removed and I and tied them together. Oh dear me, that blow on your head must have been unusually the year.
Speaker 3: I'm trying to make a kind of rope wots in a rope to get us out of here.
Speaker 2: Someone on the ledge of bobus to hold us up. Still think you've performed in the Indian rope tree.
Speaker 3: There's no time for your rather heavy handed you are.
Speaker 4: Why do you keep whistling out there?
Speaker 2: You've been doing it for about twenty minute.
Speaker 3: I'm whistling for help.
Speaker 4: Why not shout whistle carries burgh?
Speaker 3: Yeah, who's gonna hear that?
Speaker 4: That to me?
Speaker 3: I hope.
Speaker 4: Remember he was having a bonfire on the tip top night. I whistle as that a nightingale, a song unheard in Susset this time of the year, does answered.
Speaker 3: I'm sure it'll bring him down here.
Speaker 2: I hope you are right.
Speaker 3: It seems to me that.
Speaker 2: Whit please will never find us here. We shall mammify, just as a filty murderer intends kill carriage.
Speaker 4: What it's worked.
Speaker 3: It's Timmy getting a burning log.
Speaker 4: But I'm here, Tony, I can jail.
Speaker 2: Thank you.
Speaker 4: Burn down there, Timmy. I've tied these clothes together to make a rope. I'm gonna throw them up, ready to catch.
Speaker 6: Bird.
Speaker 5: He's called it.
Speaker 4: Jimmy, lower it to us. Oh I shouldn't do this. They'll whip me.
Speaker 3: No, no, nobody will with you.
Speaker 4: Timmy, and we both want to give you a shilling to come up and see your bunker.
Speaker 3: Oh, oh, that's different.
Speaker 4: Two shiny shillings. Hill lower the rope. There comes h.
Speaker 3: You purson.
Speaker 4: Oh right, Jimmy, pull away, there you go, splend it.
Speaker 3: I'm a pump a you all right, I got it.
Speaker 4: I got com ah ah, thank goodness.
Speaker 2: We've got out of that place, all right.
Speaker 5: I don't see the nightingale. Oh you must have him inside your coat. Well, well, never mind, we'll all go up to my bonfire.
Speaker 4: And get warm. It's such a pretty bonfire. Did you ever see a finer bonfire?
Speaker 6: Never?
Speaker 3: To me, it's lovely comforting inside.
Speaker 2: I've seen the last couple of.
Speaker 4: Hours just one thing's battle.
Speaker 5: Somebody tried to burn a book in my lovely fire. Must have been and I was off getting more wood. I found it when I came back, and I pulled it out of the fire and stamped on it.
Speaker 4: See here it is, Hello. It's the guy that we found on the body in the lime pits, precisely, Watson.
Speaker 3: Now I begin to see daylight.
Speaker 4: People shouldn't burn books. Books are nice. Books are like birds and bonfires, but then.
Speaker 3: Nice to be near.
Speaker 4: Oh God, lighting game must be called. I get some more twisted burn.
Speaker 2: That fellow's gone away for a moment. I can see why we'll retep tonight. Murmurer knew that we were going to the cave. He was afraid that his devilish plot wouldn't stand up under your scout.
Speaker 3: New so he watched it.
Speaker 2: When we discovered the body and sent whitt a lot to the police.
Speaker 4: He knew he'd gotta get rid of us.
Speaker 3: And who do you think that's somebody is odor?
Speaker 5: Well, that's easy.
Speaker 2: Any one pusts fall enough to not just poised out and shifted our bodies the gad, Sir George's brother, hurry.
Speaker 3: Clavering, I think servis. We entered the caves, the pick axes and wheelbarrows were much in evidence. That's right they were. Strength was not required under the circumstances.
Speaker 4: We were extremely vulnerable in the darkness. Any man with a modigamuth cunning could have disposed of us, or any woman for that.
Speaker 3: Good lord, you're you're not suggesting that?
Speaker 4: Oh no, why your favor? I've had the police with me. We'll ask time if we couldn't find you. He went by.
Speaker 3: I left true with no.
Speaker 4: I want you in the police to take me to Lady Tavering's house at once. After that, I wished to lodge information and make a charge of assault and possibly a charge of murder. And that's, Lady Calavering, is the story of how we found your husband's body.
Speaker 3: Horrible, hor much.
Speaker 4: Whoins thunder could have planned such a devilish plot? Why did the murder attack you? And Watson?
Speaker 3: There, my dear, But no, you have the key to the murder identity.
Speaker 4: The man who so cunningly conceived and executed the murder of Sir George could never have bungled the job of disposing of Watson and myself unless he had meant to bungle it.
Speaker 3: You mean he didn't mean to kill it exactly. He merely wished us out of the way while the incriminating evidence was removed. You mean the d of course I do.
Speaker 4: You will recall we found it partially burnt in Timmy's bonfire.
Speaker 3: It was Timmy. No, no, no, my dear fellow.
Speaker 4: Surely it's obvious one person and only one. You the Padari was the key to the murder's identity. The man who was present when we discovered it and detected.
Speaker 3: The floor, Great Scott, Professor Whitnock Witnell, You murdered my brother, heaven you?
Speaker 4: Oh no, I did it because I love you, Helenah. All these years, There's been nothing in my life that meant anything but you. How could I thought that, if George were out of the way, I could make you care for me. And when I realized that you loved Harry, I I was mad with jealousy. So I planned to conceal George's body forever. It was a rover plan, you said to yourself, Holmes hadn't been for you. But work, yes, but diabolically clever withdre But I'm afraid that no amount of levin is now can prevent you from paying for your crime. Sir George, I suggest that you instruct the police to come in. Our work is done.
Speaker 2: Look there on the point, him is Banfi, still burning away.
Speaker 3: Him is a simple fellow with simple tastes. Why are you so gloomy? You saw the case presently, my.
Speaker 4: Fellow, my feek in human nature has been said, is shaken all heaven. Whit More was a good friend and an old one heart instrumental in sending him.
Speaker 3: To the gallows richly deserves it. I know it is. That's quite true, But it's depressing just the same. Come on continue. I walk home across the downs, her offering you a fee?
Speaker 4: Did you take it? No? I didn't, But I did accept his offer of an acre of land on the downs Over there, near the abbey ruins. You can see them silhouetted against.
Speaker 3: The sky, naked plan. What on earth would you do with that?
Speaker 4: Well? When I retire, and I shall retire, soon. I've often thought of bee far. This would be a heavenless part for such a venture.
Speaker 2: I can't imagine you be keeper.
Speaker 4: Why not?
Speaker 3: After a life spent on raveling the tangled affairs of human.
Speaker 4: Beings, it would be soothing in the twilight of one's days to study the exact and predictable behavior.
Speaker 3: Of bees, singing masons building roofs of gold. Oh well, one day, perhaps, perhaps one day