Speaker 1: It's time for coffee and company, fueled by Thornton's on Sports Talk seven to nine day. Now here's Nick Coffee.
Speaker 2: You know, it's kind of just now hitting me that this is the last week of the regular season in college basketball. We only have two games left for Louisville and we'll be just one after tomorrow. Kentucky they played a night taking on LSU, and of course then they'll just have their game this weekend as well. So I'm looking at tonight's tonight's lineup, if you will, when it comes to when it comes to college hoops, and we've got some good games. We just started watching the third season of a show called called Yellowjackets. My wife and I did, and it's great. But like I'm gonna have to tell her to night, honey, no, no, no streaming our show. We're gonna watch College of Basketball because we won't have many You'll have me. You'll have me all to yourself for watching any any show you want once once college hoops comes to an end. But we've got we've got matchups tonight that I'm that I'm interested in.
Speaker 3: Honey.
Speaker 4: She doesn't hate sports like a good sport, no she I mean she I mean, honestly, she if I had basketball on, she would just assume we weren't watching the show like that, you know, I didn't want to.
Speaker 3: So I've got it. I've got it.
Speaker 2: I've got it, pretty, I've got I've got a mate with her. But then sometimes she'll say, are you watching this or do you want to watch our show? And because the TV like stays on basketball really throughout the entire season, I usually okay, we can watch the show. But tonight, if she asked, I'm gonna have to be the guy. Sorry, honey, tonight we've got Auburn and Texas A and M at nine.
Speaker 3: How about b YU Iowa State?
Speaker 2: Maybe maybe honey, instead of yellow ackets, could I interest you with a little West Coast action.
Speaker 3: Indiana taken on Oregon. What do you think about that? Yeah? So yeah, it's gonna make me sad.
Speaker 2: Whenever we get to the end of the actual entire thing, meaning when you know, somebody cuts down the nets in the final four, because I go through seasonal depression.
Speaker 3: There it is. It's not me banging the hammer because I'm gonna be sad. It's there. Back to work over here, they said, they said depression, all right.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna guess that is what it was all day Friday, That's what it was.
Speaker 3: That's that's okay, all right.
Speaker 2: I would say, because it's been so sporadic that it's you know, I'm hopeful that the rest of the way here it'll just be that maybe every.
Speaker 3: Now and then, but not like a constant thing yet. No, that was constant for hours Friday hours. Yeah, so hopefully they've again.
Speaker 2: Anytime that happens, I just completely block out and lose my train of thought. But anyways, everybody gets seasonal depression whenever it starts getting dark outside early and you know, you leave work and by the time you get home, like six o'clock, it's again it's already dark, it's cold outside. Like, seasonal depression is a real thing. Uh, And you know there are places in Alaska that you don't even get any daylight for like months throughout the year, and there are people there who get drunk and like deal with it as best they can, and unfortunately, like there's a lot of suicides.
Speaker 3: It's I mean, it's a real thing.
Speaker 2: So I don't want to make light of it, but everybody, like, you know, my my favorite time of the year is really from like not even just like football season is great, like September October, like you know when football gets rolling with the NFL and college football, like I love that. But for me, like when we get to November up until really I guess about you know, marchish like and I don't know why, Like I'm very odd because those are you know, that's maybe it's because I just enjoy the holidays so much. And I don't know, like I've read some pretty twisted, pretty twisted stuff that like we'll tell even by way you can find you can find anything that'll make you believe whatever.
Speaker 3: You want on the internet.
Speaker 2: So it wasn't like, you know, I'm sure I could find something that tells me otherwise, but like I've read some twisted stuff about what it says about people like me who actually prefer that time of the year that actually don't mind the cold weather. And you know, it might mean that I'm like a sick and twisted son of a bitch.
Speaker 3: I don't know, but I'm just being honest with you.
Speaker 2: When we start to see like I'm already seeing the warnings about the clocks, like we're having to adjust the clocks, is that this weekend the clocks.
Speaker 3: Is it this weekend or next? It's this Sunday. I think we spring forward. I don't know if it's Yeah, it's coming up.
Speaker 4: And just not too long ago, we were talking about the damn groundhog. Yeah, telling us it was what's that at the end of January? Yeah, so March ninth, this Sunday. Ok, yeah, it says daylight savings time. We'll start at two am and we spring forward and lose an hour. But that also means that it'll be light a lot longer in the evening than it is currently, which makes everybody to me, it's not the daylight that makes me sad, but it's a reminder that here we go. Like my calendar year starts like when football season starts, not January. So once we get to the end of college basketball, really Derby because because college hoops goes on till like April now mid April, and then you've we got Derby season right after that. So in a way, like it's really after Derby where I'm like, all right, well, here we go.
Speaker 3: Now we have like the.
Speaker 2: Long, seemingly never ending spring and summer months where I have to wait until, you know, until we get football and then basketball starts, and like that's my happy place. Whenever comfortable, like I feel, I feel worthless and I have no purpose whenever there's not like the sports that I love to just kind of get lost in, which you know, probably doesn't say uh much about me as far as like my personal life, you know what I mean. Like And it's not like I genuinely like become a depressed person, but when you think of like certain times of the year that hit you where you're like, oh man, are we really about to have cold weather again?
Speaker 3: Is it really about to get dark outside?
Speaker 2: Or even kids like, oh man, they're showing the back to school commercials, that means summer breaks almost over. Like I'm sure everybody at every age has like a time of the year that you, you know, you don't.
Speaker 3: Really look forward to.
Speaker 2: For me, it's it's when college basketball ends, and it's always been that way.
Speaker 4: I think you need to start embracing baseball a little bit more like golf, you know, because a lot of people do you and not get that feeling when because I was never the biggest golf and I guess I I.
Speaker 2: Mean like playing it or watching it totally different things on the TV. See, I don't have to sit down and watch it. Brother, I've never watched golf one time in my life, I mean masters, I mean no, like I've kept like I'll know what's going on because social media. I do remember we turned it on. We might have been doing Easter at my in laws when Tiger finally came back and won the mat like you know he did when pople thought he would never do again, right, And I remember it was on and it was about to happen, and I remember kind of appointment viewing, like hey, we got to see this, this is crazy, But like I don't, like I've never I've never watched golf on TV. And you know, maybe eventually I'll get into it, but I don't know. I kind of feel like if I was going to, I already would have so I could play golf and and that would be fun. And I don't a few years ago, I'd never played around a golf in my life, and I wouldn't. I mean, I just I wouldn't even know. And I still I'm terrible, Like if you ever want to go golfing with me, like just know like I'm gonna have to not I'm probably just gonna have to pick up my ball and move on to a different hole because like it'll be you know, I'm that bad, but it is.
Speaker 3: But it is fun.
Speaker 2: But what the same thing that you know, I guess kept me from playing other sports when I was a kid is the same thing as an adult. I'm super competitive with myself. So if I suck at something, I'm gonna end up getting really really upset while you know, not being good at it, and it's just going to be a negative spirit experience. And I'm being like, yeah, I'm not doing that. Yeah, that's why I picked up a basketball when I was a kid kind of felt like Okay, I like this, I can.
Speaker 3: Maybe do this, and then I never play anything else.
Speaker 4: It's just like around these times. I don't know, maybe I've just associated with it because I was that kid. That's like when the tournament's coming up. It's March, we're just about two months away from school being out.
Speaker 3: Of course you got the tournament, and.
Speaker 4: Then like what I associate that with because you're we're usually watching CBS for March madness. Well, that's when you start to see the Master's commercials and they start to show like Augusta and like that whole uh, all the commercials and the nice soothing music and where it's it's the changing of the seasons. And I've always liked that. So, you know, even though I've hated watching golf, I've started to embrace it a little bit well.
Speaker 2: And it is like it's clearly popular and it's it's the one. And I'm sure, you know, others will disagree with that and disagree with this, and that's fine, But when it comes to, like, you know, doing this with this job, is golf's to me the only sport that I genuinely need to know more than I know. And at times it's a real like it's not a real issue, but I mean it would be better for me and for this show if I was at least a little bit dangerous when it comes to being able to, you know, talk about the sport.
Speaker 3: I don't know anything about it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but other than that, like I don't know anything about hockey, don matter baseball, believe it or not, Like that doesn't like baseball is not a talk radio topic, like if it isn't like if you're in a market where you have a team, they're going to keep up with it for sure, and they're going to discuss, you know, what's going on with like their team as far as transactions, but the sport itself. Even in big markets, they may be discussing the team, they're not discussing the sport, if that makes sense. They're not discussing, you know, like what's happening in the nine inning games.
Speaker 3: So yeah, golf is something.
Speaker 2: That at least I can play it now and have some fun there here and there. But as far as watching it, like when you because people tell me they enjoy getting on the on the couch or the recliner on a Sunday and watching the Masters or watching you know, one of the big tournaments, and they enjoy falling asleep and then waking up and seeing like you know, where things are. And I'm like, if you look for or to falling asleep while it's on, you don't watch.
Speaker 3: It, Like what are you talking about? Like I don't, I don't, I don't get it.
Speaker 2: So anyways, I'm gonna make the most of what we have left here of college basketball season. And by the way, just a reminder, since we're talking about the daylight savings time, it says sleep experts advise going to bed fifteen to twenty minutes earlier in waking up fifteen to twenty minutes earlier every day this week until Sunday, so it can help ease the adjustment.
Speaker 3: I don't think it's not I don't think we need to do that. I mean, am I the only person that like the amount of sleep.
Speaker 2: I get every night always varies, Like I mean, you and I probably are the same as far as like we don't tell ourselves got to be in bed at this time? But my range is anywhere between. Like if I if I'm in bed before eleven, it's either because I'm sick, or it's because I.
Speaker 3: Had a long day or I'm hammered, which I guess would technically not be in bed. That'd be me passing out right.
Speaker 2: And if I'm if I'm in bed past one thirty in the morning, that's like, all right, you stayed up way too late.
Speaker 3: So like I got, I got a two hourish.
Speaker 2: Range where anywhere between, Like I'll be honest with you, pre midnight's even rare for me now, like between midnight and one am is usually when I lay down and go to bed and when I get up. I guess during the week and that's the thing. I'm pretty like my like my daughter's got to be at daycare. My daughter's got to be at school by eight thirty, and my son has to be at daycare by nine thirty. So sometimes I get up at five, Sometimes I get up at seven. Sometimes I get up, you know, at eight, you know, like it really totally varies. Although I don't try to sleep that late because if I do, then I'm really crunched for time to even get them where they need to be on times.
Speaker 3: So and by the way, I.
Speaker 2: Do miss having like more structure, Like I'm all over the place with everything, and it's because I can be you know what I'm saying, because I don't have to get up at a certain time, because I don't have to be somewhere at a certain time, like it it's you know, your own boss.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And there's benefits to that.
Speaker 2: But also, like I know, I'd be more productive, like if I, like when I got up at five point thirty every day to come and do the show when I was on at seven am, right, I had a little bit more organization, a little bit more structure, because like sure it was I had to be I needed to be embedded a certain time. I had to get up at a certain time. Now it's just kind of you know. And again it's I'm sure people are listening, like, man, you got it made. What are you complaining about?
Speaker 3: And you're right.
Speaker 2: But I am someone that just knows myself well enough to know that with the freedom, that leads to me not being as productive as I probably could and should be. But yes, for mind, to everybody, we will lose an hour of sleep. But I would assume that'll be something most folks are okay with because again, we're getting warmer weather on the way, we're getting spring, and look, I enjoy I don't want to act like I'm some miserable person during times when it's nice outside. There's some great perks to like beautiful weather and whatnot. But you know, when it comes to sports, like I just I got I got nothing for baseball and even the NBA. Now, like I don't, I mean, I just, I mean, I tell myself every year, okay, well, now I'll try to get in the NBA again, and I usually don't, although I did watch the NBA the other night because my son he's all into it now, he's got two k on his PlayStation and he's he's loving it. So we watched the Clippers and the Lakers play, and it was the first time that I actually sat down and watched, like you know, I wasn't just on my phone like I was watching.
Speaker 3: I think I watched like two and a half quarters. And I mean it.
Speaker 2: Wasn't like you know, as you're seen entertaining. I didn't bet on anybody, so I didn't have any preference as far as what happened.
Speaker 3: But it was, you know, it was I'll.
Speaker 2: Put it this way, is exactly the product of NBA basketball, at least in that instance, was better than I was expecting it to be. So there's you know, there's that speaking of the NBA real quick, We'll move on and get back into, you know, things you probably care about, because I'm sure you don't care about my sleep habits and my schedule or anything like that.
Speaker 3: I do.
Speaker 2: But could things have gone worse for the Mavericks since they traded Lukadanca? No, did you see Kyrie irvings out for the year with torn acl.
Speaker 3: Yep, I watched it or I saw it social media on for yeah. I mean like that's I mean, when it rains, it pours.
Speaker 4: If only they would have had a non injury riddled center that they traded their generational franchise player.
Speaker 2: Well, and Colin Cowhert said it best the other day, when you trade somebody like Luca and you know you're getting somebody that is a lot like Anthony Davis, a good player, but he's a lot older than Luca, and of course he's you know, he's injury prone, which means in any moment, like he could have an injury and never play again. That's a I mean, I doubt that happens, Hoby doesn't happen. But the fact that they made this trade and didn't include any like future lottery picks, future first round picks, protected picks, yeah, like future assets. I mean, it's malpractice. So right now they don't control their own first round draft picks in twenty twenty seven, twenty twenty eight, twenty twenty nine, and twenty thirty, so they've got two drafts coming up. And again if they're competing, which again, they made this move because I guess they feel.
Speaker 3: Like they can win now. I mean, they've got old.
Speaker 2: I mean again, these guys aren't ancient, but Klay Thompson is old. For an NBA player. Anthony Davis is on the older side, he's certainly not young, and Kyrie Irving is a little bit younger. In fact, No, Kyrie's older than Ad, isn't he.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So like they're like they're trying to win now, Therefore these picks they do have in two thousand and five, this year and next year in twenty twenty six, two thousand, twenty five and twenty six, if they're if they're competing like they want to, they're gonna get bad picks.
Speaker 3: They're not gonna get early picks.
Speaker 2: They're not gonna get lottery picks, right because they're gonna be if their goal.
Speaker 3: Like this just made no sense at all.
Speaker 2: And they also, I mean again, like you can't make this stuff up, Like this is one of those things where you start to think, like are they like are they trying to sabotage themselves?
Speaker 3: Is this you know? Is this? Uh?
Speaker 2: Is this part of some like bigger plan to where they and like maybe the team gets sold or something like that, because this just seems almost unreal. But they have increased their ticket prices wow for next year, Like they're telling all these season ticket holders whenever you whenever you you know, whenever you end up renewing your tickets. If you do, it's gonna be more expensive. Yeah, they're just this is this is let's see where did this come from? Might have been one of the beat writers. And this is MAVs Film Room dot com. It's a website who covers the MAVs. They have been documenting this disastrous pr run for the Mavericks. Uh, and they've decided to again raise their ticket prices eight percent for next season. So and they've told their uh, they told their fans they're doing it so they can quote invest in the team. And I mean what I mean it's Anthony Davis gets hurt as soon as he gets traded after one good game and he's still out.
Speaker 3: Now Kyrie's out for the year.
Speaker 2: Uh, there's no In fact, I think even one of their it might have It wasn't their GM, Nico, but it was. And by the way, he's now a known name because of this deal. Right, like a lot of people, myself included, didn't really know who their GM was just because I don't keep up with it and I don't care. But now I know who he is because he's the guy that I now will remember that made this trade. That phone in absolutely backfired. But yeah, they've got one of their one of their owners. You know, at least did acknowledge. And it's not worth much, but at least it's it's some acknowledgment that, yeah, they they.
Speaker 3: Were a little bit, they were a little bit.
Speaker 2: They knew they would be some pushback, but not to the extent of what they've heard from their own fans as far as like, yeah, this was a disaster. I mean, got to keep in mind, like there's younger fans of the Mavericks that like Luca was the guy, right, Like they didn't see good Dirk, right, they were all.
Speaker 3: In on Luca. Who you know was I mean.
Speaker 2: It it's obvious that he isn't a great defensive player and he did not have it wasn't a good look for him in the finals last year where Jalen Brown just you know, abused him, but like he still was the biggest factor in how you were able to get to the NBA finals. And you know, even if I just I doubt there's gonna be anything that happens where Dallas will be able to look back and say we made the right decision here. Right, because if if Luca wins titles in LA, it won't just be because of him. He's still got Lebron, I mean, like you know, and that won't be clearly they'll get made fun of, as they should, but that won't be used as like, well that means that it failed for you, but like they're gonna need to win titles and that's not happening, like they're gonna be rebuilding now like they are. They're old as it is, and they don't get I just I the more I think about the beginning of this whole thing, where it randomly happened overnight, right like it was after that Kentucky Arkansas game, and you're up late scrolling social media and you see Sham's tweet and think maybe he got hacked, and then you realize no, in fact, it's real, and really every step of the way since then, you still can't make any sense of it, and it almost doesn't even tem real, but it is real. All right, quick break, we'll come back on.
Speaker 3: The other side.
Speaker 2: Get at the text line FIBO two six five three zero seven nineties the Llenn Federal Credit Union text lon. Some good questions coming in that I want to get to Also, if you want to give us a call, you can do that too. F two five seven one seventy nine hundred. We're going to open up the phone lines now, so stick around. It's coffee and company fuel about Thornton's right here on Sports Talk seven ninety.
Speaker 1: Now back to coffee and company fueled by Thornton's on Sports Talk seven nine day.
Speaker 2: All right, let's go to the Llenn Federal Credit Union text line five O two sixty five for three zero seven ninety members get more at Ellenn Federal Credit Union. You can learn more and open your account today at lnfcu dot com.
Speaker 3: This text says, Nick, is this the first year.
Speaker 2: They've decided to not let all ACC members get into the ACC Tournament? I don't remember that happening before. Yes, because of the expansion, the ACC Tournament this year will not include all eighteen members because you had fifteen because notre names in for basketball but not football, and then you added SMU Cal and Stanford. So yeah, there's eighteen basketball members and let me see here, I think there's is that?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: They only allow Yeah, so only the top fourteen teams get in. So I be honest with you, I don't really like I mean, I don't know. I heard Pat Kelsey talking about a little bit earlier today on the ACC teleconference, and I mean I get why they do it because there's so many teams now and you know, logistically it would be harder to do, but I don't know, Like, I feel like you should be able to play in the conference tournament regardless, because that's part of the experience, and you you know, you don't have the ability to even go on a cinder like if in C State would have been you know, if what happened with NC State last year, it wouldn't even be possible this year because they wouldn't even make the tournament. Lowell of course wouldn't have made it, which I would have had no problem with that. I feel like during the Kiney Payne air, I think a lot of people over at UVEL would have been fine.
Speaker 3: Which just you know, yeah, no thanks.
Speaker 2: We don't want to waste our time and waste our money and our resources to make this trip because we all know what's going to happen. So yeah, this is the first year, and you know, I don't agree with it, but I'm sure there's you know, there's a lot that goes in and then making that decision. And I guess, look, if you are fifteen, sixteen, seventeen, or eighteen in the ACC, the likelihood of you winning the league is I mean pretty non I mean non existent as far as like any chance.
Speaker 3: Of that happening.
Speaker 2: And I know NC State did it, but like even n C State was probably you know, this year, let me look, let me just look at who is not eligible.
Speaker 3: For because I know, I think Miami.
Speaker 2: Yeah, right now, Miami is officially out, and then you've got, gosh, it's going to be I mean, this is nobody cares because again we're talking about the bottom of the league. But right now you've got it looks to be two teams for sure that are not going to three teams for sure that are not gonna make it. And that's Miami, Boston College, and NC State. And then as far as who ends up getting the fourteenth spot, it's gonna come down to some type of tiebreaker, I would imagine because Notre Dame californ Notre Dame cal and Syracuse are all six and twelve, which that that they're all tied for that I guess, you know, fifteenth spot essentially that, you know, that's where it starts. That's where you get cut off. All right, look back, let's go back to the text line. This text says, Nick, you mentioned yesterday that you think Chucky Hepburn is the best Louisville basketball player since Russ Smith. Who would you say are the best Louisville players from the two thousands, twenty tens, in twenty twenties. I mean you're asking for like a top three, top five.
Speaker 3: I mean, that'd be that'd.
Speaker 2: Be kind of tough to do, I think. But as far as the two thousands, so we're talking like two thousand, all, I mean, you got to start with Reece Gaines just because I mean he was He's one of the.
Speaker 3: Better players to ever play here.
Speaker 2: Reese is one of those guys that a lot of people remember him because he played two for Denny, two for Rick. He was a big part of you know, he was very successful obviously in the last two years of Denny whenever things weren't going well, and obviously when Rick was able to get things rolling pretty early, Reese was really good in that first year with Rick, and then in his second year that team was really good and they just ended up losing. They lose in the first round of the second round. I know they lost to Butler, and it was it was before Butler became you know, the Butler with Brad Stevens. So I man, I love that team at Marvin Stone who transferred in and didn't become eligible until the until like midway through the season. So I would say, Ree Gaines, Taekwondne, Francisco Garcia. Right, we're talking like because again I'm just rolling. I'm going through, like if you're gonna tell me, just all right, let's do this. Let's have some fun with this. Let's do so top five for top five for Louisville in the two thousands, I'm going and I'm not doing like by position, right, Like I can just tick pick five, right, just five guys, Reese Cisco, Dean t.
Speaker 3: Will Earl Clark.
Speaker 4: Okay, I mean you could probably subor ol'clark for well, I was about to say, maybe could you submor ol' clark for someone like David Paget or since David wasn't here for that long?
Speaker 3: Well he was here, he played three years, and I just I thought it was two. Well you know better than I do. Yeah, I mean I don't know like that.
Speaker 2: I think the honestly, the fifth one is where it would be a little tough, Yeah, because.
Speaker 3: I think it's like that list.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, so we're talking two thousand to two thousand and nine, like what I mean back in that day, of course, guys there was no portal and Louisville didn't have anybody.
Speaker 3: He ever leave after one or two years to go to the NBA. It was usually so.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, I think that's the list, And honestly, I'm tempted to put and again it's are we talking like had the best careers or guys that I just feel like we're the best players. I think the latter, yeah, because if I'm going best players, that's what I would go with. But honestly, like Ellis Miles had a phenomenal career and story, and you know, I would put him in that in that conversation. I mean, I'm trying to think. I feel like there's somebody that I'm blanking on from the two thousands. So again we're talking to basically two thousand to two thousand and nine, and then we'll go two thousand and ten to two thousand and nineteen and then twenty twenty until now. Sure, so that's the five. But Larry, oh, even like Larry had a great career. Yeah, David Paget is somebody that I I mean, I'm close to putting him ahead of Clark because Earl was good. But as we talked about last week, Earl was, I mean, to me, Earl like Earl could do what Earl was going to do in Louisville, would I mean, there's no way to say it without sound like I'm crushing Earl, But like I think t what was way more talented and way more impactful for that era that that that two.
Speaker 3: Three year run. But Earl was certainly very talented.
Speaker 2: But like Ellis Miles was a guy who was the leader as a post player for that two thousand and five Final four team, and man, he was a vocal leader. I mean, he's got a triple double on his resume. He wasn't And by the way, you know, no offense to Ellis, but like he wasn't super talented. Like he's not even in the conversation as far as like who was the best player, as far as like, man, that guy was just exceptional. We don't get many of those kind of guys around here, but he had a great career and was such a factor in that final four run. So but I'll stick with my original five and man going through two thou I mean, if I can only pick five from twenty ten on.
Speaker 4: You just picked the national championship team, Yeah, I mean, I'll go Russ Pay, Gorgie Luke, and then I'll throw Jordan Warr in there.
Speaker 3: Jordan.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna put Jordan in the twenty twenties because technically his career ended in twenty twenties, so he can count towards that.
Speaker 3: Jenny. That's that's fine. Yeah, I mean.
Speaker 2: I would go, Man, this is tough because again and I keep I keep mixing the criteria, but we're talking about just dudes that I'm like, Okay, we were really really lucky to have him. He's really really special. I'm going, obviously, Russ Smith, I'm going.
Speaker 3: I'm going.
Speaker 2: I feel like I'm gonna get in trouble for not putting somebody like I want to put everybody from that twenty thirteen title team because they want to freaking title.
Speaker 3: They went to back to back Donald.
Speaker 2: Fourth, right, But I also think even though these guys didn't like Montres Harrald is one of the most liken like.
Speaker 3: Montrez to me, is one of the best talents we've ever had at Loewid.
Speaker 2: Like he was on the title team of course as a freshman, came off the bench, he played three years, was really good as a sophomore, really good as a junior. I mean, Tres went Championship, Sweet sixteen, Elite eight, so like he played for really good teams and he was a factor on all those teams, especially in his sophomore and junior year. And we are the doctors of dunk right, Like that's what they like that the eighties, that's when Louisville basketball really made a name for itself and really established itself as a premier program in the sport. We kept stats of dunks before a lot of programs did. And Montrez Harrold breaking that record and shattering every dunk record that's out there for dunks, and a season like James Scott, he's on his way to, you know, putting himself in second place, but everybody is going to be fighting for second place when it comes to dunks because of Trez and Tres was I mean, he had a motor. You couldn't coach, like, I gotta put Tres in the top five. Okay, I mean I'm going Trez And this is not an order.
Speaker 3: Right, No, not an any order.
Speaker 2: Okay, oh man, because because you know who else I feel like, as far as talent and this is a guy that was only here to really do it for one year, as far as just really you know, being special, Terry Rozier was.
Speaker 3: Really really good, Yeah, really really good. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Like put it this way, Donovan played here two years, was good and ended up getting drafted. Rozier was a better player at Louisville than Donovan was. Sure, Now, Donovan Mitchell is a legend now in the NBA. I mean he's I mean, I mean he he is the best in modern era. Like Griff was great. Griff had a better NBA career than most people realize. Donovan's already become the best former Louisville player as a pro since west Unseld.
Speaker 3: I mean, like, he's he's that special.
Speaker 2: So but we're talking at Louisville, like how good they were at Louisville And by the way, we were spoiled. There were so many good players like but Donovan, to me, wouldn't be on it. Like and by the way Terry O's ear, I think this is the This is like the most impressive thing I can share with you about Terry that will really make you real if you're somebody thinking like he was good, But man, I kind of forget about him. One you forget about him because he was a backup whenever. He was a freshman on that twenty fourteen team that lost to Kentucky in the Sweet sixteen. It was the next year in twenty fifteen when Rosier became the guy. It was the Tres and Rosier show. And Terry broke a record that ended up getting vacated because of the I mean they wiped it from the record books because of the NT doua. But Terry broke the record for most points scored in a single season as a sophomore in program history. And I remember looking at all the players because a lot of guys made big jumps from freshman a sophomore under Rick. But with Terry, like he broke the record that was set by I might have been one of the mc cray brothers that had a really big sophomore season as far as just scored a ton of points. So all right, I'm back, I'm getting back on track here again. I'm going I'm going Russ Smith, I'm going Mandres Harrel, I'm going Terry Roseier, I'm going Peyton Siva, Okay, and then my fifth one, I gotta I gotta go Gorgy. Sure, So again I left off Donovan Mitchell, and I feel like he's the big he's the But again, people with you know, because of the title team, some people would say Luke, you know, Luke was great, absolutely great, but like I don't think he was as far as just best player, Like everybody wishes they had this guy because he's that special. You're right, I'm going those five, and I still feel like I'm I'm missing somebody that like was really really good in that era, that that would be ahead.
Speaker 3: Of those five.
Speaker 2: But again, Peyton and Peyton and Russ, those are the two of the best guards I've ever had here. They happened to play together and they were sensational.
Speaker 3: Again, I think.
Speaker 2: Terry was just really really special as far as a talent, even though it was for one year. Gorgy, I mean, Gorgy was great. Gorgy was really the glue to those teams. Yeah, and Gorgey was such a consistent guy too, and he didn't I mean, he was could pass it, had great touch, rim protector didn't.
Speaker 3: He blocked a lot of shots, pop out and shot three. Yeah.
Speaker 2: So and then again, I think, you know, nobody would say Trez is not a really good player, because anybody that that would say that would.
Speaker 3: Just be, you know, a fool.
Speaker 2: But I feel like Trez is gonna be one of those guys that won't, for some reason, won't quite get remembered for being as good as he actually was. And I don't know if that's because I don't know why, but I just don't feel like people meant like Montrez.
Speaker 3: Harald was unstoppable at times.
Speaker 2: And I know on the scoreboard his dunks counted for two points like everybody else, but man, he would dunk it and it would flip a game because of he was a monster like he would his his dunks were worth two points and a lot of momentum in a lot of instances. So that would be the five I'm going with. We'll take our final break here in the four o'clock hour, and then we'll wrap up. I'll give you we've only had really four seasons five seasons. I guess technically of the twenty twenties, and I think it's pretty clear, but yeah, i'll give you my five as far as from twenty twenty on, stick around right here on Sportsbox seven.
Speaker 1: Ninety now back to coffee and Company fueled by Thornton's on Sports Talk seven nine day.
Speaker 2: So if you are just now joining us, A good question that came in on the text line. We were talking about Chucky. I think he's the best player that's played at Louisville since Russ Smith, which is saying a lot. So somebody on the text line asked who I think the best players are in the twenty tens. I'm sorry, the two thousands, two thousand and twenty nine, the twenty tens, twenty ten to twenty nineteen, and then twenty twenty on. We did the the two thousand and the two thousands, I went with Rees Gains Taekwondne, Francisco Garcia, Earl Clark, and Terrence Williams. I just did five, and then in the twenty tens, I went with Russ Smith, Peyton Siva, Terry Rozier, Montrez Harrell and Gorgi Jang. And yes, I did leave Donovan Mitchell off. And it's not because he wasn't good, But I just think Donovan being such a great pro I think has made people realize that he wasn't quite as good as you might have expected during his time and loll he was still good clearly. And then from twenty twenty on, I would go Jordan Warra because he was really good, like I know he had They didn't call it this publicly, but Mack would always I mean he had resting bitch face. I mean, Jordan looked like he was pouting. Jordan looked like he didn't care. He looked he had resting bitch face. Yeah, and bad body language and that you know, he wasn't to my knowledge, he was. He wasn't a bad guy at all. I mean I got to know him a little bit. It's just he had a look on his face like he smelled a farder. He was mad, you know, And I think it made people whenever he didn't have a good game, like they just he took a lot of heat. And I guess and sometimes it was because he didn't have big games against big opponents, and that was clearly a thing people remembered. But he was really good, like he could score it and he could shoot it like he was good range. Yeah, and so I would go with him. And then after that it's car Leak and man, where do we go from there? I mean Chucky for Chucky for sure, but then I mean I gotta go with guys on. I mean again, it's two thousand and five right now, and we had two years where man, like really three years, to be honest with you, so Max last year as well as Max last year, as well as the two years with Kenny, Like, I don't you can't put anybody in there. So I would go Carly, Chucky, Jordan, and I'm I mean, I'll be honest with you, I'm throwing Rain Smith in there. I mean some people will say, well, he's just a shooter, Okay, yeah, but he's really good and effective, and I mean Rain's one of those guys for me that it's a reminder that when you are a really really good shooter, that doesn't mean that you're not a good player. Like you can be a really good player and it's because you're a good shooter, not one way or the other. Like when people act like Rain some big liability, he's not making.
Speaker 3: Shots get him off the floor.
Speaker 2: He's so good of a shooter, you leave him on the floor and you continue to let him shoot it as many times as he wants, Like he's not this one dimensional guy.
Speaker 3: Well it's not his night. Let's take him out.
Speaker 2: And he's and he's way better at other things than people realize, Like he's got good vision, he's I mean, he understands spacing. He's almost kind of like a mini point guard because his movement without the ball helps space everybody else out. So, I mean, I've always been irritated by people acting like, well, Rain, he's not a good players, just a shooter. Well, no, he's a really good player. But what makes him such a good player is his ability to shoot it better than really anybody I've seen around here in a long time. Like Rain Smith this season as we speak, is averaging fourteen points per game and shooting forty percent from three. Like, that's a really good player, regardless if it's just because.
Speaker 3: Of shooting or not. And then honestly, the other one.
Speaker 4: Go Dwayne Sutton. Maybe Steven Enoch has forgotten now, but I mean when we're from when we're talking about twenty twenty two on, it's a very dark area.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, I.
Speaker 2: Don't know, Like David Johnson was pretty good, but I don't I don't know. This is Recncy biased, but and I don't mean just because of the current season. It's also recently Recncy biased because of how well he's played lately.
Speaker 3: But I'd probably put.
Speaker 2: Javon Hadley there, sure, Yeah, Like is he better than Dwayne Sutton? I don't know, you know, is is he better than I mean, is he even better than Terrence Edwards?
Speaker 3: You know what I mean? Like, I don't know. So you could definitely add some players from.
Speaker 2: It's harder, Yeah, it's harder to do the twenty twenties because of the three seasons that are just, you know, ones we would like to wipe from our memory all together. All right, let's talk about the little of Men's Clinic.
Speaker 3: Fellas.
Speaker 2: I've been telling you for a long time what they can do for you, and I'm sure a lot of you have listened. I'm sure many of you it's gone in one ear and out the other. But I guarantee you there's some of you listening right now that could benefit from what they can do for you. Because they can do a variety of things for you. For me, it was low testosterone. You know, I probably would have just assumed that the issues I was having were just because I'm getting older. And yeah, I am getting older. Everybody gets older, it's part of life. But you don't have to feel like you're turning fifty when you're turning thirty. And maybe that's an exaggeration, but in my early to mid thirties, I started to just notice that I wasn't getting the same results from watching what I eat and exercising, and I was developing belly fat, man boobs, that kind of stuff.
Speaker 3: And it wasn't like I was gaining a whole lot of weight.
Speaker 2: It's just I didn't look like I was like I was somebody that was in fact taking care of myself at least the way that I was. I wasn't getting the payoff anymore, and I just, well, it's part of life, metabolism, I'm getting older.
Speaker 3: Well, what it was is.
Speaker 2: That when you get old older, your body stops producing testosterone at the same level. You start to reduce testosterone levels as you get older, starting like in your early thirties. I believe it is right, might be around thirty, so for some people that doesn't matter, like they could get their levels checked and they're still good. For me, I got my levels checked just to see if maybe that's what was keeping me, you know, holding me back, and it was my levels were not where they needed to be for somebody my age. And thanks to the Louisville Men's Clinic and doctor Wood, I've now been taking testosterone treatment for over a year now and it's not an exaggeration to say that it has changed my life. And it wasn't like I really had to do anything different other than, you know, addressing the need for more testosterone. But it's not just that if it's low TE, certainly I can test. They can help you with that, but direct tutis function. I've got a variety of treatment options. They can help you. When it comes to losing weight. They offer weight loss therapy, hair restorations, so the list goes on and on.
Speaker 3: They can help you. They've helped me.
Speaker 2: Give them a chance, give them a call. Babo to four four four four thousand as the number. You can check them out online Louisville Men's Clinic dot com. All right, we got the Bob Cluck Hour coming your way and a lot to get into, so stick around.
Speaker 3: It is coffee and Company.
Speaker 2: Phil but Thornton's on Sports Talk seven ninety