Speaker 1: So I want you to picture yourself standing in a dense, snow covered forest in Gander, Newfoundland.
Speaker 2: Right, and it's December twelve, nineteen eighty five.
Speaker 3: Yeah, exactly. It is just pitch black, and.
Speaker 1: There's this freezing rain falling so hard it actually stings your.
Speaker 2: Face, oh man, and emergency crews are just thrashing through this heavily wooded area, right.
Speaker 1: But the thing is they don't even need flashlights to see where they're going because rising up right in front of them is this thirty foot high, burning mass of twisted metal and jet fuel.
Speaker 2: The devastation is just absolutely I mean, the smell of aviation fuel and well death is completely overwhelming.
Speaker 3: It's horrific.
Speaker 1: And as investigators start to sift through this totally harrowing scene, they find something among.
Speaker 3: The scattered debris that just, I mean, it breaks your heart.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the souvenirs right amidst the fiery wreckage. Are these souvenirs the passengers had bought literally just moments before boarding. They were these t shirts that read I survived Gander, Newfoundland.
Speaker 2: God is just an unimaginably devastating image and the reality of what those crews found in the dark that night was even worse because all two hundred and fifty six people on board Arrow Airflight twelve eighty five were dead.
Speaker 1: And the vast majority of them were US soldiers, right from the famed one hundred and first Airborne Division.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the Screaming Eagles. They were returning home from this highly tense peacekeeping mission in the Sinai Peninsula. They were just hoping to be back in Kentucky.
Speaker 1: For Christmas, but instead this wreckage became one of the worst aviation disasters in history.
Speaker 2: You really did.
Speaker 1: Welcome to today's deep dive. We are going to unpack a stack of really harrowing aviation investigation case files, and our mission today is to trace the path of a nearly invisible.
Speaker 2: Killer, right, a killer that brought down three separate commercial jets exactly.
Speaker 1: And we're going to see how a crazy storm of controversy, human error, and just massive corporate pressure prevented the aviation industry from learning a vital lesson until it was almost too late.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's a wild sequence of events.
Speaker 1: Okay, let's unpack this because I want you to imagine a killer hiding in plane sight, something so thin and like ordinary that you'd brush it off without a second thought.
Speaker 3: That's what we are dealing with today, right, and.
Speaker 2: Understand how this hidden killer operates. We really have to look chronologically at the timeline of that arrow air flight and gander.
Speaker 3: Okay, set the scene for us.
Speaker 2: So First Officer John Connolly is at the controls of a massive Douglas DC eight and before taking off, you know, the flight crew goes through their standard calculations to figure out their critical.
Speaker 1: Speeds, right, the numbers they need to actually lift off exactly.
Speaker 2: So the bug on the airspeed indicator, which is just a little visual marker for the pilots to know when to pull back on the yoke, is set to one hundred and forty four knots for lift off.
Speaker 3: Okay, one hundred and forty four knots.
Speaker 2: But as they thunder down the runway into the freezing rain, something is deeply, deeply wrong. They don't lift off at one hundred and forty four knots.
Speaker 3: They hit one hundred and sixty seven knots.
Speaker 2: Right, Yeah, It takes them over a thousand feet longer than expected just to get the win off the tarmac.
Speaker 1: And reading through the flight data recorder logs in the case files, The final moments are just terrifying because just thirteen seconds after lifting off, the nose of the plane is pulled up radically. The aircraft immediately stalls. It basically stops flying like an airplane and starts flying well, as the accident investigators describe it, like a pig. Like a pig, Yeah, it completely loses aerodynamic lift, begins descending and slams directly into those trees about half a mile from the runway.
Speaker 2: And when the Canadian Aviation Safety Board the CAASB arrived at the scene, they were stepping into what would become the most intense political and scientific controversy of the decade.
Speaker 1: Oh totally, because they had to figure out why a fully functioning, heavily scrutinized military charter jet.
Speaker 2: Just fell out of the sky right and almost immediately, the investigation just fractured into two radically different, highly entrenched theories.
Speaker 1: And that division itself is a massive part of the story. It completely paralyzed the investigation.
Speaker 3: Let's look at the.
Speaker 1: Minority report first, which was championed by board member Lesu Loota.
Speaker 2: Right, his faction believed the plane was actually brought down by a bomb.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and you really have to put yourself in the geopolitical context of nineteen eighty five. Here, tensions in the Middle East were at an absolute boiling point. Oh, for sure, these soldiers were returning from the Sinai An anonymous caller had actually contacted a news agency claiming Islamic jihad was responsible.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 1: There were constant whispers of Hezbola involvement and even complex rumors tying the flight to covert Iran contra operations.
Speaker 2: And the Minority faction didn't just base their conclusions on geopolitical tension, you know, they pointed to highly specific physical evidence recovered right from the wreckage.
Speaker 3: Like, what what did they find?
Speaker 2: Well, autopsies of the victims showed extreme levels of carbon monoxide in their blood and lungs. To the Minority investigators, this strongly suggested that passengers had inhaled heavy smoke from a pre crash fire inside the cabin.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 2: Furthermore, investigators found inward curling metal on one of the engine cowlings and red paint transfers on the fuselage and to this faction that looked exactly like the localized explosive signature of a midair debtonation.
Speaker 1: Okay, But then you have the majority report, driven by lead investigators David McNair and Peter bog and they completely rejected the terrorism theory intartoly. Yeah, they sent pieces of the wreckage, including that curled metal and the red paint, to the forensics lab and it came back with zero explosive residue, none at all.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: They concluded that the inward curling metal and the paint were simply damage caused by a front end loader moving debried during the frantic search and rescue effort.
Speaker 2: That makes sense, But what about the carbon monoxide?
Speaker 1: They argued that was just a tragic consequence of surviving the initial impact just long enough to inhale the toxic fumes from the burning jet fuel.
Speaker 2: Right, So instead of a bomb, they found a lethal, almost invisible combination of factors, basically extreme weight and microscopic ice.
Speaker 1: Miscalculation alone is just staggering when you dig into the log it really is.
Speaker 2: The airline had estimated the passenger weight at one hundred and seventy pounds per person, which is, you know, a standard commercial average derived from civilian.
Speaker 1: Flights, right, accounting for a mix of men, women, and children exactly.
Speaker 2: But this wasn't a civilian flight. These were two hundred and fifty six fully grown, heavily muscled combat soldiers.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and anyone who has ever hauled military gear knows it is incredibly heavy. The true weight was estimated to be closer to two hundred and twenty pounds.
Speaker 2: Per person, which is a huge difference.
Speaker 1: Massive When you multiply that discrepancy across two hundred and fifty six passengers, that means the plane was a massive twelve thousand pounds overweight.
Speaker 2: Just crazy.
Speaker 1: And you are compounding that massive weight penalty with the freezing rain that was falling in Gander that morning.
Speaker 2: Right, because that freezing rain coded the swept wings of the DC eight, and the ground crew didn't de ice the plane because well, in the dark under those ramp lights, it just didn't look like a thing heavy layer.
Speaker 1: Of ice visually, the wings just looked wet. They thought it was harmless water exactly.
Speaker 4: Wait.
Speaker 1: I want to pause here because reading this initially felt completely counterintuitive to me. So you have a massive military jet with engines generating tens of thousands of pounds of thrust. How can a sheet of ice as thin and rough as sand paper bring down a machine that powerful, it just feels like the engines should just muscle through it.
Speaker 2: It's a completely natural assumption, it really is. But what's fascinating here is just the brutal, unforgiving nature of aerodynamics. Okay, the majority investigators ran extensive wind tunnel and simulator test to answer that exact question, and the science is undeniable.
Speaker 3: What did they find?
Speaker 2: So? An airplane wing generates lyft because of the incredibly precise way air flows smoothly over its curved upper surface. It creates an area of low pressure above the wing, which essentially sucks the plane up into the sky. Right. If you add ice that has the texture of course sandpaper to the leading edge of the wing, it acts like a speed bump. It violently shatters that smooth laminar airflow, causing it to separate from the wing entirely. Oh wow, Yeah, the wing simply stops generating lift. Thrust cannot save you if your wings aren't flying.
Speaker 1: And this perfectly explains the fatal maneuver on the flight deck because the plane was twelve thousand pounds overweight and wasn't climbing fast enough due to that microscopic ice. First Officer Connelly pulled the nose up further to try and force the plane into.
Speaker 4: The sky, which is the worst thing you could do, right because wait, so, if the wing is already struggling because of that sandpaper ice, pulling the nose up isn't forcing the plane to climb.
Speaker 1: You're just taking the bottom of the wing and shoving it flat against the oncoming wind like a giant air brake.
Speaker 2: Exactly. You're instantly killing whatever forward momentum you have left. Wow, that is the exact mechanism of their demise. Pulling the nose up increased the angle of attack so severely that it initiated a catastrophic aerodynamic stall. The plane literally just fell out of the air.
Speaker 1: So obviously we aren't here to declare a winner between the bomb theory and the ice theory. But the real tragedy of Gander, the absolute gut punch in these files, is what happened next. Because of this raging, bitter debate over terrorism cover ups and payload physics, the entire Canadian Aviation Safety Board fractured, the.
Speaker 2: Release deeply divided, highly contentious reports.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and the political fallout was so severe that the CASB was actually.
Speaker 2: Disbanded, which is insane.
Speaker 1: And because the headlines were entirely consumed by the argument over a potential bomb, the crucial life saving warning about the devastating effects of microscopic ice was totally buried in the noise.
Speaker 2: And because that safety warning was drowned out by political infighting, the aviation industry was essentially flying blind into the next brutal winter. Yeah, I mean, a safety board's primary mandate is to find the cause of a crash, issue a warning and is sure it never happens again. When that warning evaporates, it is only a matter of time before the exact same invisible physics trap snapshot on another crew.
Speaker 1: That happened exactly four years later in the freezing remote wilderness of Dryden, Ontario.
Speaker 2: March ten, nineteen eighty nine.
Speaker 1: Right, Dryden is this remote town locked in a brutal Canadian winter. The temperature is hovering around freezing, wet snow is falling heavily, And here we meet Captain George Morewood.
Speaker 2: He is piloting a twin engine Falker F twenty eight for Air Ontario.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and he's an old school professional, highly respected, but on this day, the case file show he is incredibly stressed.
Speaker 2: Oh, he's an hour behind schedule. He's got a plane full of frustrated families trying to make connections for their march break ski vacations.
Speaker 1: And the weather is deteriorating rapidly. But the real trap Captain Morewood is stepping into isn't just meteorological. He's backed into a corner by his own aircraft.
Speaker 2: Right because the plane's auxiliary power unit, the APU, is completely dead.
Speaker 3: Can you explain what the APU actually does?
Speaker 2: Yeah? So, the APU is a critical piece of machinery. It's essentially a small jet engine located in the tail of the aircraft. Its main job on the ground is to provide pneumatic air pressure to spin up and start the massive main engines.
Speaker 1: Okay, So, because Morewood's APU is broken, if he shuts off his main engines to refuel and Dryden, he can't restart them himself exactly.
Speaker 2: And because Dryden is a small, remote airport, they do not have a ground based air cart to jumpstart a commercial jet.
Speaker 1: So he is forced to do a hot refuel yep, he has to leave one of the main engines running while the ground crew pumps jet fuel into the wing tanks, which sounds incredibly stressful, noisy, and risky, but it's the only way he can physically leave Dryden.
Speaker 2: But this creates a catastrophic domino effect regarding the ice. How because that engine is running, airline policy strictly prohibits de icing the plane.
Speaker 3: Wait, really, why is that?
Speaker 2: The reason for that policy comes down to basic chemistry and passenger safety. De Icing fluid is highly toxic. Oh I See, when an engine is running, it continuously sucks in massive amounts of outside air, which it uses to supply the cab and air conditioning and pressurization systems. If ground crews sprayed the plane with toxic de icing fluid while the engine was running, the atomized chemical fumes would be sucked right into the cabin.
Speaker 1: Bleeds, basically gassing the passengers. Exactly so, Morewood is forced to sit on the tarmac for thirty minutes in a snowstorm, waiting for a delayed cessenetal Land and he is unable to de ice his plane.
Speaker 3: Right, And this is where a.
Speaker 1: Terrifying physical phenomenon known as cold soaking comes into play. Because you have to remember this F twenty eight just flew in from cruising altitude, where the ambient air temperature is around minus fifty degrees fahrenheit.
Speaker 2: Right, so, the thousands of gallons of jet shuls stored directly inside the aluminum wings becomes super chilled.
Speaker 1: The fuel essentially turns the wings into literal freezers.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So, even though the air temperature in Dryden is right around the freezing mark, the metal skin of the wing is intensely cold.
Speaker 1: So as the wet, heavy snow falls onto the aircraft, it melts slightly on contact with the ambient air, but the moment that moisture touches the super cool old aluminum wing, it freezes instantly.
Speaker 2: From the bottom up, it creates a perfectly clear, dense sheet of ice, and visually from the cockpit or a passenger window, it just looks like a sheen of harmless water.
Speaker 1: And lacking the clear institutional warning from Gander about how lethal microscopic ice is. Morewood initiates takeoff.
Speaker 2: Which is just heartbreaking to read.
Speaker 1: The survivor's accounts in the investigation files are absolutely chilling. They described the takeoff run as sluggish, like a heavy person trying to run up a steep hill. Right the plane barely clears the tree line at the end of the runway. Then it starts shaking violently. One survivor said the vibrations were so intense it felt like being trapped inside a kitchen mix master. Jesus, the aircraft violently crashes into the snowy bush, breaking open and immediately catching fire. Twenty four of the sixty nine people aboard die in the freezing wilderness.
Speaker 2: It is a devastating, entirely preventable tragedy, and it really forces us to look past the cockpit.
Speaker 1: This is exactly what I kept thinking while reading the accident reports. I look at Captain more Wood, and I see a pilot who is basically painted into an impossible corner.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Completely, It's like being.
Speaker 1: Forced to drive down a treacherous, icy mountain road with bald tires because your company's mechanic is closed and your boss is screaming at you to make the delivery on time or you're fired.
Speaker 3: I mean, was this really just.
Speaker 1: A localized pilot error or did the corporate culture physically force his hand?
Speaker 2: Well, that is the precise question, Just as Virgil Mushansky asked when the Canadian government appointed him to lead an exhaustive inquiry into the dryed and crash. Mshansky didn't just look at the aerodynamic properties of ice, you know, he looked aggressively into the air Ontario boardrooms and he discovered a highly toxic corporate culture.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: The financials and operational decisions in the report are just damning.
Speaker 3: They were deferring essential maintenance constantly.
Speaker 1: The only reason the APU was broken was because the airline had a shortage of replacement parts and decided to keep flying the plane anyway.
Speaker 2: Exactly. They were consistently push their pilots to prioritize flight schedules over safety margins. Right. Moshansky famously stated in his findings that while Captain Morewood made the final fatal decision to advance the throttles, there were a lot of other hands on those throttles pushing those throttles forward.
Speaker 1: Wow. The airline essentially engineered a scenario where a professional pilot felt compelled to choose between basic safety protocols and keeping his job.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and Mashansky wasn't going to let this get buried in political noise like the Gander Report.
Speaker 3: No, he really stepped up knowing.
Speaker 2: There were dozens of these specific Fokker F twenty eights flying out of cold weather airports all over the world. He took an incredibly unusual step for an investigator.
Speaker 3: What did he do?
Speaker 2: He issued an urgent, highly detailed interim report long before his full inquiry was finished.
Speaker 3: Wow okay.
Speaker 2: He explicitly warned the global aviation community that the F twenty eight is incredibly vulnerable to even the slightest icing due to its wing design, and he laid out exactly how to fix the broken DIA protocols.
Speaker 3: So he found the operational cure.
Speaker 1: He diagnosed the exact vulnerability, and prescribed the necessary changes to save lives.
Speaker 3: He did, but the aviation.
Speaker 1: System failed to administer the medicine, which brings us to March twenty two, nineteen ninety two, right exactly fifteen months after Justice Mshansky issued his urgent warning. We are at LaGuardia Airport in New York City, another Fokker F twenty eight, this time operated by US Air and the weather the exact same snowy, freezing conditions we saw in Dryden, and.
Speaker 2: Watching the timeline of flight four h five in the files is just excruciating. The plane is actually de iced twice at the terminal gate. They are using what's called type one fluid. Type one is essentially a heated mixture of water and propylene glycol. It is sprayed on hot to melt the snow and ice currently resting on the plane. But it has severe life threatening limitations.
Speaker 1: Right, and this is a critical distinction that Mashensky had already pointed out. Type one fluid is highly effective at cleaning a plane, but it is not designed to protect the plane for very long afterward, exactly because it's a relatively thin liquid. It simply runs off the wing. Under the best conditions, it might buy you fifteen minutes of protection. In heavy snow or freezing rain that chemical clock drops rapidly, it might only protect the wings for six minutes before new microscopic ice starts to form.
Speaker 2: So Flight four or five gets de iced with this thin Type one fluid and then push back to the taxiway. But Laguardi is notoriously busy. Oh yeah, They get stuck in a long line of departing traffic waiting behind a small cessna, and the minutes are just ticking by ten minutes, twenty minutes, thirty five minutes pass since they were.
Speaker 1: Sprayed, so the six minute chemical clock on their wings expired nearly half an hour ago.
Speaker 2: Right First Officer John Ruba shines a light out his side window onto the wing. In the dark, he can't see the clear, microscopic ice building up underneath the slush. He says, it looks pretty good, and they initiate their take off roll.
Speaker 1: And the nightmare of Dryden repeats itself exactly. The plane reaches its rotation speed. The pilot pulls back on the yoke, but the wings absolutely can support the weight of the aircraft.
Speaker 2: The invisible sandpaper ice has completely destroyed the aerodynamic lift.
Speaker 1: Just thirteen seconds later, they plunge violently into the icy, dark waters of Flushing Bay. Twenty seven of the fifty one people on board lose their lives.
Speaker 2: It is the ultimate catastrophic breakdown in institutional communication.
Speaker 1: I mean, I found myself having to reread this part of the file multiple times. Mshansky maps out the exact chemical limitations of type one fluid, warns everyone about the specific aerodynamic vulnerabilities of the Fokker F twenty eight and fifteen months later, an identical plane goes down the exact same way. How does a globally circulated safety warning just evaporate well.
Speaker 2: In Mushanski's interim report, he had specifically warned about the short life span of type one fluid, and he strongly recommended that the industry transition to type two fluid for active winter precipitation.
Speaker 3: What's the difference.
Speaker 2: Type two is entirely different chemically. It's a thicker, highly viscous, almost mucous like substance, utilizes non Newtonian properties.
Speaker 1: Wait like it changes depending on the force applied.
Speaker 2: Exactly, it acts thick like honey while the plane is sitting still, shielding the wing from falling snow for up to forty five minutes. But as the plane accelerates down the runway, the sheer force the wind causes the fluids chemical bonds to temporarily break down. It becomes thin as water and blows right off the wing, leaving a perfectly clean aerodynamic surface just as the wheels leave the ground.
Speaker 3: That's brilliant.
Speaker 1: And he didn't just recommend new chemical fluids, right, He recommended a complete overhaul of airport infrastructure.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he saw exactly what happened at LaGuardia before it even occurred. He warned that if you de ice a plane at the terminal gate, by the time it taxes and waists in line at a busy runway, it will freeze over again. He explicitly recommended building dedicated d icing pads right next to the runway so a plane gets its protective coating and immediately takes off before the chemical clock expires.
Speaker 1: So when investigators ask the Federal Aviation Administration the FAA, why these life saving protocols weren't in place for flight four h five, the FAA claim they never received Moshansky's report.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they stated, it simply never crossed their desks. That is insane. Mushansky was understandably furious, suggesting it likely just sat on a bureaucrat's desk gathering dust somewhere. And it is a harsh, brutal truth of safety engineering. A lesson is not truly learned until it is actively applied. Having the data in a binder somewhere doesn't save lives. It only provides a tragic roadmap of what you should have done.
Speaker 1: It is infuriating. The warning was right there, sitting in a filing cabinet. But as we pull back and look at the legacy of these three crashes. The sheer horror of Flight four or five plunging into Flushing Bay finally violently forced the aviation industry's hand.
Speaker 2: Yet the crash in New York could not be ignored. It was too public and the parallels to Dryden were just too exact. Following that disaster, Mushansky's full list of one hundred and ninety two recommendations was finally implemented globally.
Speaker 1: It completely revolutionized the physics and chemistry of winter flying.
Speaker 2: It did today the industry has evolved even past type two fluid. Airports frequently use Type four de icing fluid, which is an incredibly advanced, brightly colored chemical that can stick to a wing and protect it for up to two full hours in freezing rain.
Speaker 1: And those runway de icing pads Mashansky practically begged for they are standard practice at major winter airports around the world. Planes get a final thick spray just moments before the engines throttle up.
Speaker 2: Because of these sweeping systemic changes, the remaining Fokker F twenty eighths flying today and every other commercial jet do so safely.
Speaker 1: The industry finally learned to respect the invisible killer. They stop blaming the pilots for systemic chemical failures, and they re engineered the environment to protect the aircraft.
Speaker 2: It's a profound testament to the fact that aviation rules are quite literally written in blood. Every safety protocol we enjoy today is the result of a catastrophic failure in the past.
Speaker 1: So we want to leave you this The next time you are sitting on a plane in the dead of winter, you're looking out your window and you see that thick, gooey green or orange de icing fluid sprang aggressively against your glass. Right, maybe you're angrily checking your watch because your flight is delayed and you have somewhere important to be.
Speaker 3: Take a breath. Look at that fluid.
Speaker 1: Remember the incredibly heavy price paid by the soldiers in Gander, the families in Dryden, and the commuters at LaGuardia to get that exact spray onto your wings. Yeah, and it leaves you with a lingering question to chew on. In our hyper fast modern world, where corporate efficiency and speed are prized above almost everything else, what other invisible ice is currently building up in our systems? What other dangers are hiding in plain sight, masked by our obsession with schedules, just waiting for the exact right moment to stall us out.