Speaker 1: With Laurent's segle and from London and Gerard read from Berlin, this is redefining Energy.
Speaker 2: Today on Really Faking Energy, John, we had the privilege of recording live from Dly Piper, our good friends Jelly Piper the law Firm an episode with Copenhagen in Fast Job Partners.
Speaker 1: Who's one of the biggest investors obviously in the whole renewables era, and they've been not for a long, long while. It's a good conversation. I think we should just bring another show. How are you everybody? I'm Jared, that's Lauren, this is Rowan. It's really great to be here and we're going to talk really about investing in electrical infrastructure, the opportunities and I would say perils as well, because it's not an easy time to be investing. So it's great to be here.
Speaker 2: So we have as a guest, Owen Parkhauso is accepted to be in the middle. We have a lot of questions pre prepared as you can see here. Of course I'm gonna toss so that's going to make the conversation more interesting. And the first question, as you are our guest, is you are managing director at Copenhagen Infast your partner. Imagine, I'm an LP. I heard about you, but this first time I meet you, so introduced to me Copenhagen in your part.
Speaker 3: Thanks no, thanks for throwing away my notes. My IR team will love that. So yeah, Cobnagen Infrastructure Power the CP. We're a fund manager, but we're really an IPP at the same time. And so we're set up as a fund manager. We've raised money from our investors and we go and invested in greenfield energy infrastructure. But of the twenty three hundred people that we have employed, about seventy five percent of those are actually construction managers technology specialists. So we kind of even though we are a fund manager, really we're a little bit like an IPP platform, and we have all the kind of delivery engine and the sort of construction and procurement engine of an IPP or a utility. But we're a fund manager, so we have all of the kind of analytical rigor and so on of being a fund manager and all that all becomes with that. And so greenfield energy investing is, to put it, simply investing in projects during development and then taking them through development, doing all the procurement, the financing off take and then taking them through construction into operations, and then we will divest projects at some point in time, and we are primarily a direct project investors. Sometimes we'll buy businesses that also do this, but you know, in the end, what's really important for us is sort of to be close to the assets and try and deliver those assets in a good way, and then you know, the technology wise, we invest across sort of the energy transition. So Offstra Wind, our heritage actually is sort of coming out of the Senior partners, came out of allsted A commercialized the offual wind industry, so we have a lot big heritage in austral wind. But we also do a lot of ontore wind, solar batteries, a bit of transmission distribution across the range of different technologies.
Speaker 1: So maybe we're just staff for true the different technologies, right, because as you said, came out of wind. When I compare the wind and the solar investors, the wind investors for me are always people that just in terms of mentality, they're different because they take longer, the plans take longer, and if I look at the world that we're in a present, we sort of need people that are really fast, which lends itself to the solar guy, because the solar guy tends to be They just tend to be quicker in developing, get to the next project. Do you see the same when you're investing. Do you think of it in a different way now or how do you look at it?
Speaker 3: You need to be very thorough as an infrastructure investor because really being a good infrastructure investor for me, means of being a little bit neurotic, a little bit. Sort of attention to detail is extremely important. Control is important getting into the weeds because the small chinks in your project, small weaknesses can have a big impact. So you have to be really thorough, which is probably what you're talking about when you're saying wind investors have that sort of mindset. I think solar you can do a little bit more standardization, You can sort of cookie cutter it a little bit more, so then you can turn the handle a bit faster. I think we try to be agile and sort of understand and that there are different ways of doing different things. I don't think anybody can complain about us being too slow. Where definitely sort of being a fund manager kind of brings with it a level of intensity and speed and sort of drive to want to go faster, which naturally means that where there are opportunities to do it without compromising on the thoroughness that's required, we are trying to move pretty fast. I mean that, honestly. Is the reason I joined CIP was because of the level of ambition and sort of the desire in the organization, in the culture to go fast and really sort of deliver at the speed that's needed for the energy transition.
Speaker 1: So where I'm coming from more is what I'm seeing now is there's a need for battery storage right across the system. It lends itself to solar and you need to go quick. Yeah, that's the way it would look at it. So how do you see storage and how do you invest in storage?
Speaker 3: Yeah, so we first invested in battery storage about five years ago, and at the time, I think in retrospect it seems like it was a really sort of obvious thing to do, But at the time it was a bit sort of non obvious. I think we saw high cap x you needed to go and chase after sort of scarcity pricing and ancillary services and markets in order to justify the high capex. We couldn't contract many of the revenues very well. There wasn't sort of opportunities to contract. The technology was getting better, but it was still quite early in a way, and I think we took a bet at that point, and the bet was really that the EV market would drive down with the technology. And you know, last year it's something like sixty billion or something that was invested global in battery storage. It's just nothing. The EV market is forty five times larger, so that the R and D spend and stuff that the technology development that goes into into batteries is all driven by evs. So we said that the technology is going to get better fast. That was the first thing we thought. Utilities are structurally short peak power and they're structurally short balancing, and so even though they're not offering a lot of opportunities to contract now that will improve. And so we had this thesis that it would work out, and we entered those development projects and then started constructing a few years after that, once the thesis sort of was panning out. We've now invested about three and a half billion euros into battery projects in the UK, the US, Chile, South Africa, and we've got a forty gig with our pipeline, So we're big believers in the kind of in the need for it, and I think we move pretty fast when it comes to batteries because it is a bit different from wind as I mentioned earlier. So we've been able to acquire projects and take them into construction extremely fast.
Speaker 2: If I look at your website, cip dot com, exce a lot of good information in it. So you've been founded forty years ago and now you've grown to thirty five billion of AUM, which ranks you, depending who you talk to, anywhere between the tenth and twenty years ranking in the world. You invest a lot, have fifteen funds. Well, I guess a lot of different strategy. So you talk about batteries and somehow five years ago there were a lot of difficult things which now probably are easier. So let me return the question, what was easy five years ago and now it's much more difficult.
Speaker 3: Projects have got a lot more complex. I think it is a lot harder to navigate. And it's not even one part of the project that's got more complex. You know, we're looking at co located projects with hybridization now, whereas before its single technology projects have got larger, and so you know, you're trying to move enormous turbines or even batteries. Right, we had some projects where the first projects we built in batteries, they were sort of two and a half mega with our containers, which way about thirty tons. The latest ones are sort of double that, if not more, and they weigh forty five tons, which sounds like nothing, but then actually when you try and move that over bridges, suddenly the bridges can't handle it. So there's just like a lot of complexity. And then I think even when you go into the sort of easy things like ordering transformers and switch gear, managing lead times on those sorts of things has become really difficult. It plays a little bit to our strength because we have the scale so we can order transformers, and then we have some optionality where we place those transformers into different projects. So you know, we found ways to navigate that complexity. But sure it's a more complex environment to work in. I think the sales pitch fast is a little bit, you know, it plays to our strengths. We're an energy specialist. We're all a bunch of energy nerds. We really just this is what we do day in, day out. So if you want anyone who can manage the complexity, I think we've got to believe that we're able to do that.
Speaker 2: And generally your addition was grid connection that's tougher.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think good connection has become more difficult across the board. I have a lot of sympathy for grid operators. Before grid reforming the UK, it was a seven hundred giga what pipeline of connection requests they had? It was obvious to everybody that that wasn't needed. So how do you plan a system with seven hundred giga? What's asking to be connected? So that I have a lot of sympathy for how they're managing things. I think they're still inundated and they're still trying to work through how do you actually reliably deliver good connections on time. For us, we would like to help build the grid. We think that there's a lot of opportunities there or need for private capital. I think the UK has quite a forward thinking regime, but in the rest of continental Europe we do not see quite the same regulatory framework that lets us do that. So in the UK, for example, we're building transmission in Wales we're building, you know, we're developing an interconnector. I think in the rest of Europe it's more difficult to do that, so we'd like to be part of the solution. But overall it is much harder from a project perspective though. It's just I don't have a really sort of any secret source. You just look at what was the date the grid operator told you they could connect you, and you can work back from that and say, Okay, have you bought your equipment, have you done your permitting, have you got the land rights? Like it's simple stuff, and often you can see these delays coming because you say, okay, actually they are behind on these things. We just have to try and navigate it when we're looking at projects from sort of in a very practical way. But it has become way way more difficult.
Speaker 1: Ron you said earlier on that actually you were an independent power producer. I thought that was very interesting you started with that, because if I look, my criticism of everybody that's in this industry is that they have been running power plants with Excel sheets for the last twenty and the reason they've done that is because financial investors have seen them as annuity products. They're not. When you suddenly get zero prices every second day, then you realize, oh, I have to manage them in a different way and you have to change it. So I have a view certainly that you have to go and you have to virtually integrate, you have to go into trade and you have to which means you move towards independent power produce. But you started the conversation with that, so maybe you could explain how you see that and what you or how you think about it.
Speaker 3: I completely agree the age where we saw them as annuities is over to a large degree. I mean, if you bought a new solar project today with CfDS and everything, it feels a little bit like an annuity for a short period of time. But the reality is you're like you're missing a lot of levers and underperformance and issues that unless you get oily hands and you go on the site and you really figure it out, it's just not being optimized properly. And then there's this sort of window of sort of easier operation and you're out of that, not quickly, but you're out of that at some point. And so then you need to really be a sophisticated owner of those assets and manage all of the merchant risk, right, And I think if you look at some of the listed funds for example, this is a little bit the issue they've had.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 3: They've raised this money into this vehicle, sold it as a financial product, but it's gone from being an annuity like product into something that really requires you know, blade replacements and the cell kind of you know, refurbishments and repowering and hybridization and all of this stuff. And they're kind of then having to build into that to becoming more of an IPP. But they unfortunately have a base of retail investors who didn't really decide to buy an IPP at the beginning. So then there's a bit of a disconnect, which I think is a lot you know in some part why they sort of trapped a little bit trading at this discount to lab that we're seeing.
Speaker 1: So dig into it a little bit. Does this mean that you're going into trading? Does it mean that you're going to go into customers? How do you go and hedge your portfolio going forward when you move into a world beyond subsidies, and even when you do have subsidies, you have power price risk.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's a bit of a nuanced picture from market to market. I don't think we'll go sort of big into energy trading. And we're also in the end, once we've developed sites and sort of built them out, we do exit those projects at some point. Right, We don't end up building an enormous book of power that we need to go and optimize ourselves, but we do have an energy management team. We are sort of thinking about trading and optimization. The flip side to all of it is that the trend over the last few years has been for off takes to extend the duration. And that's partly because you know, we've had a lot of inflation, We've had sort of capleex increases, and we've just got higher interest rates at the moment, so you know, so that has increased slightly the power PPA prices that you need and the way a lot of people have reacted to that. UK government included, but also of corporates have said, well, can I get an extra couple of euros off my PPA price if I give you a fifteen or a twenty year contract whereas before I was giving you tens. So we do see that there's this complexity around power, but also our opportunity to contract that power for longer is also kind of improved quite a lot in the last few years.
Speaker 2: Okay, you recently are quite osted. You're on show business. What does it says about the value in the market.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so, I mean the business. It's now rebranded as Peragus Energy, which I won't hear a word against it. It's a great name. It's a portfolio of some operating assets but also a development pipeline, so it's not sort of completely one or the other. We really like the business because they're really experienced operators. They've been through these cycles. Like what we talk a lot about in CIP is like how many reps have you done, because it's not just sort of, oh, I'm a smart engineer, but I've never built anything and then seen it go wrong, And you need to actually do two, three four reps in order to get good as an individual and as an organization sort of institutionally, and they've been through that under the ownership of Austair. Before that, they were with Brookfield, you know, so it's been a business that's been around for a long time. It's got a lot of war stories, so we liked that they had that and they were sort of all this complexity that I mentioned earlier. We felt they were a really good team to help deliver projects even given that more complex environment. But they do still have a pipe. They are going to go off and grow the business, and we think that team is will placed to do that. I think if it tells you anything about what has changed over the last few years, it probably is that there's now greater value placed on experienced teams that are having at his extinct operating base. Whereas in the past we saw sort of astronomical value being placed on development pipeline. I think now it's matured. You know, five years ago, there was just an oversupply of capital into the space, and I think people were pricing risk in a sort of very irrational way. Now it's very rational because oil and gas is kind of out of the market largely, there's still funds I mentioned, they're trapped at a discount, and ab utilities that have network businesses are having to ration capital to generation to fund their networks. Right, So actually the people clearing all of these M and A processes tend to be more financials who were balancing the risks and pricing it and competing for capital with transport and social infra and you know digital and so there's just like a lot more rational pricing of risk that we're seeing. So that's why we're getting this more mature approach to how you value development pipeline versus how you value operational assets. What we really like about Paragris in particular is that there's also a lot of opportunity to do sort of value creation in the operating base through recontracting assets, through repowering of assets, which by the way, is harder than people think. But you know, they have existing good connections and they're the Windyer site, so there is a lot of value there and then sort of co location, hybridization, that sort of stuff. So if you sort of had to bucket, where will we create value here? In the past, people probably thought it was all in the development pipeline. Now I think it's a little bit more nuanced.
Speaker 1: Picture can askulously how you view behind the media as opposed in front of the meter. So in front of the meter is really where you come from. But when you look at behind the media, and when I don't mean behind the meta, I don't mean that just residential. I mean it may be a creating industrial parks, digital parks, all that types of how do you view that.
Speaker 3: We actually have a small microgrid fund where we're sort of trying to get more into into the space, so we think there's a lot of opportunities there for us to do more. It gets pretty complex when you look at the different regulatory regimes that there are in different markets. So it's not particularly well regulated today. I would say there are some places where it's very attractive to do it, but really it's attractive because you're arbor charging against network charging, and so you know, if I can sort of add soilar and batteries on site and I can just avoid all my network charges, that can make the economics of that behind the meter solution sort of extremely attractive. But the network chargers need to get paid by somebody, and so if you are the ones sort of avoiding them, they'll just go up and someone else will have to pay them. So I think long term there are some really good reasons to do it, but when you look at what's driving and in different markets, sometimes it can be a little bit The regulations are not sort of you know, in terms of how the cost of networks in particular are allocated and not as developed as they should be. That said, I think there's a huge opportunity. If you've got demand on one side, and you've got the space and you've got the capital to do it, it's a huge growth area. It does compete a little bit within front of the meta. On the battery side, for example, we see that there's sort of in all of our models, we're assuming that that happens, that there is some competition coming in front of the met is anormalness, and so you have sort of capex that's probably like half the cost. So there's some advantages to doing very large projects with economies of scale in front of the meta. So I don't think the solution will be entirely one thing or entirely the other, or that one behind the meter will kill in front of the meta. But we think there's a big opportunity.
Speaker 1: Can I ask as well, you talked a little bit about complexity earlier on. I would say there's massive stress in the market, And for me, massive stress comes about when I see massive volatility. So I look, for example, tomorrow at the continental European power prices, it's going to be zero, and then right across the continent it's going to be two hundred and fifty euros in the evening, right, So that for me says stress. And the second thing is you're seeing these zero prices every day because it's sunny outside, which means nobody's gonna invest in solar go forward, right, And we can begin to see that in solar pipelines that have been sold, where if there will be sold at one hundred thousand a megawa, now you can't give them away. Do you see us going into this era of stress or the next eighteen months of stress in this market? Or how do you look at that? And you look at as an opportunity or a trayer for or.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean we spend a lot of time looking at it, right, and so we have not gone into say Spanish solar, or or we spend a long time looking at German solar and we've sort of decided not to do it for exactly this reason. So it's something that we spend a lot of time on trying to get sort of under the skin of markets in the long term. There's this sort of thing that traders say, which is low prices solfload prices. I believe it to a degree, but it's just over what time frame when you get very large volumes of batteries. I think it will help smooth out a little bit of that solar cannibalization in the middle of the day. And then there's other things that you can do, Like in Finland, for example, there's been it's not solar driven, but there's been also sort of similar level of cannibalization. And then what Finland has seen is just sort of this super interesting buildout of e boilers, and e boilers are kind of like gaspeakers of heating. You know, it's not heat pumps. They're not nowhere as efficient as heat pumps, but they're really cheap and you can actually use them when you get these zero hour pricing and then store the heat in a sort of easier way than you can store the power, and then you know, use the heat at the time when prices are higher. So I think there are these sorts of technologies that will start to see increasingly as the kind of problem of zero hours and oversaturation cannabization gets worse. But we will still be quite cautious about going into those markets. And so we're still when we're doing looking at new investments, trying to sort of look at what's the moat that really stops this from just becoming oversaturated really fast. And some markets you can't convince yourself, you can't get conviction that there is one.
Speaker 2: Well halfway, and we have not pronounced the word data center, there are I'm going to summarize your vision of that center. It's the greatest invention since Lyza bread and me. I say it's the greatest cash firllness since the dot com bubber or the railways, and it's probably both are probably true.
Speaker 1: Well, I'm just going to correct Lauran because he completely misinterprets what I say, So that'd.
Speaker 2: Be really okay. So what did you say?
Speaker 1: I said, we're going to the biggest industrial revolution in the history of mankind good, and that is an AI revolution that we're going through, and that AI needs electricity and that's the reality of and electricity needs AI as well. So it's not data centers, it's AI. The technology changes our world, changes the way we live. I can only say for my own small business, what I've done is we've seen twenty five percent increase in productivity in the last eight weeks since I've introduced AI into the business. Right we've done hackertron in the business, and we're only touching what we can handle. So that's in my business. But we can see this right across the world. I'm only the beginnings on it. That's where I'm coming from on art all right. And by the way, if I go to the US, the US are very clear that it's a revolution and they're jumping on it, and that's why they're doing whatever. You've got a US government, US military, US tech, US finance industry all behind that revolution. Meanwhile back in Europe we're full of French bureaucrats and Brussels who were blocking everything. What can I say, Sorry, Gian that was just me.
Speaker 2: That's question is what is CIP position on AI slash data center? Are you very bullish? You invest, co invest?
Speaker 3: What do you do if I split it in half? AI? I use it all the time, and I think it's been fantastic, and I agree that there's a huge amount of productivity growth that you can see sort of that we have seen internally in terms of how we're using it in terms of data centers. Everybody talks about data center powering demand growth and it is definitely true. But I think if you put it in context, it's not the only driver of demand growth that we're seeing. And if you look over the next ten years in the UK, for example, sort of I looked at a forecast before I came on. The top three drivers of demand growth over the next ten years are number one, evs it's like thirty terriord hours or something. Number two was heat electrification of heating, which was like eighteen, and then number three was data centers. Over the last twenty years, we've had basically flat demand growth, which is kind of like the headline figures hidden what's actually gone on, because you have seen growth in demand from electrification, it's just that they haven't been able to outrun the sort of one two percent energy efficiency improvements that we've had every year for the last twenty years. Now all three of those things are going to outrun energy efficiency gains, and so it is like at an inflection point where we're going to see demand growth and data centers are part of the picture. But some people talk about it like it's, you know, we run out of power completely. I don't think that that's the case, but nonetheless it is driving demand. What's probably interesting about data centers out of the three of those is that the air bars are just so big relative to the other two. Finton Slide came onto your podcast recently and I think he said there was one hundred gigawatts of connection applications, and maybe it's something like eight twelve gigawatts of projects that will actually get realized if the projects themselves are a gigabat sized each, it's only a handful of decisions by some hyperscalers where that can suddenly turn into double so that the air bars can be a plus one hundred percent, but equally Laurn you would agree with this. It can be also to the downside as well, because you can imagine a scenario where the hyperscalers have spent a lot of their free cash flow already every year on data centers. It's not clear that the revenue growth can continue forever and that customer willingness to pay is enough to amatize and make a return on all of those investments. Oh and by the way, we've seen incredible efficiency gains on the computer side, right, so can that just eat the whole of the demand like it it's sort of plus minus hundred percent, So.
Speaker 2: Okay, okay, when you are your Investment Committee, Yeah, you invest or you don't, or when do you invest in?
Speaker 3: Where we think that there's a really interesting opportunity is that hyperscillers are going to have to bring flex with them if they want to connect to the grid. We've already seen that in Ireland with the sort of new regulations, and then in the US they've got this rate payer protection pledges. They're going to have to bring flex to help manage around. Otherwise the grid needs to be built out enormously for the few hours a year where you need to move power to that data center. So we need to bring flex and they need to bring power. Given the data centers are so capital intensive. We are seeing this live. We're talking with hyper skilled working on projects today where we're helping to provide capital and sort of expertise to deliver those power solutions for data centers. That's where we think there's a really big opportunity. If we end up investing in a few data centers where they're co located with energy, it might be but I think for US where energy investors, that's where we see the really big opportunity.
Speaker 2: But in your capital location, which is in the tens of billions you do to data centers. That's it. You pretty much job considering the you know the size of each deket, so in your head you say, okay, as CIP, we won't be above ten percent or twenty percent, or you don't think like that.
Speaker 3: That's probably about right. It could be somewhere. It's sort of ten twenty percent. But I think maybe the way to say it is we also don't have to do any We feel like it's an interesting space where we find the opportunity. So maybe we're a little bit opportunistic in terms of going into the data center data centers themselves. What we think is really interesting, which is our core business is the power solutions, and so that's really where we expect to do a lot of investments.
Speaker 1: So when I ask about power solutions, where does that actually end? Because if I look at the data center today, you get a black wild chip from Nvidia, and you've got a capacitor on the chip, and then I go into the rack and I've got ultra capacitors on that, and then I go actually to the door on the data center and as another battery, and all those batteries are doing is just ensuring the right power quality for those reconductors. Then I go outside the building and I've got a backup battery, and actually I'm going to have more batteries because again, what I have to do is make sure that I'm providing enough quality flexibility to the grid operator. So these things they all become energy parks. That's where we're moving to. They get more and more complex, and that's a huge opportunity for anybody who's investing in energy and could agree. Now you're going to actually and the cooling as well around absolutely, Yeah, the biggest cost is energy, and they've got great off takes.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the off takes in particular are sort of interesting. Somebody asked me the other day, is this changing our investment strategy for power projects? And I think the most interesting area where it does change our strategy a little bit is if we continue to see the level of concentration of build out of data centers, then in those markets they are going to be forced to bring power with them. You know, in Ireland they this regulation where they have to bring me eighty percent of their new demand with renewed of course renewables that has to be in Ireland, right, so they are in Ireland, there's going to be the sort of supply demand dynamics which are going to result in sort of higher PPA prices, higher off take prices, undoubtedly, So from an investment perspective, that would be the main thing, the main sort of change. Otherwise all of this uncertainty. The good thing about it is it's all sort of headed in that direction. You just don't know how steep the curve is. Our model is development projects. Spend as little as possible as we can on the development of those assets, and then we will build them out if and we will invest the capex, so we're only spending sort of five percent of our money on development, and then the ninety five percent is all in the capex of the projects, the cost of constructing the assets. We'll only do that where the conditions make sense. Right, So we have a lot of embedded optionality in that model where you have sort of uncertainty, but you have a lot of potentially a lot of outcomes that where a lot more power will be needed. The value of optionality has gone up massively, and so we're constantly trying to look for these opportunities to create you know, more options, and particular in markets where we see data center build out already happening at pace.
Speaker 1: Does that not mean that you're not going to actually go and build data centers in space and finance them.
Speaker 3: No, I'm a bit of a sci fi fan, so I would love to do it. My honest view is I would love to do it. But if you think about how much of the world's power are we going to use for data centers, it just seems to me unlikely that, at least sort of within my lifetime. And probably I'll look back on this in the future and think this is a terrible thing to say, But in my lifetime it seems unlikely that we will absorb so much of the entire world's power that we have to do that. I think it will still be cheaper to just go to a new location where there's not already data centers today. Right, it's only like one and a half percent of global power demand that comes from data centers today. In Ireland it's like twenty five percent, So that gives you an idea of the concentration. So there's a lot of room to just go to other markets where there are not data centers today. I think you will only go to space when you get to twenty five percent in every market because it will just be so much cheaper to go and build something in Scotland rather than go into space.
Speaker 1: I mean, maybe talk a little bit about the grid, because obviously we talked about generation right. I think myself and Rama both have a very clear view that we obviously have to build out grid and there's a huge need for investment in that area. But if I look at the grid myself and I take the case of Germany, Germany's got two hundred gigle watts of batteries that are in planning, but the grid operators are blocking it. Let's be really clear, okay, and they're actively blocking it because it's not in the interests of their business models. How do you see that whole grid space. Are you really going to look at it and say we're going to go big time in there and invest in distribution grid operators, transmission grid operators and how do you see all of this We.
Speaker 3: Would like to invest in them. The question is whether the regulatory kind of frameworks are set up to allow for that, and whether the right incentives that are there for them to act in the right ways. It will get fixed because it has to, because network costs us such a large portion now of power prices that it cannot be allowed to happen that this is not resolved, and that they can cannot, for example, fund non wire solutions which might not add to the sort of asset base of a network operator distribution company, but would be the most efficient solution. And I think the big thing that everybody you know needs to do is we also need to sort of stop thinking just about building more things and trying to actually sweat the asset a little bit harder. If you look at the utilization of the transmission system and we can squeeze that asset a lot harder. We can have more flex on there, we can have more use of non firm grid connections. There's a lot of room for improvement in terms of sort of having the system run a little bit hotter. And it's just such a big issue for the competitiveness of Europe in particular, but globally. It's just such a large and growing share of the cost of power that it has to be solved, and I think it will be.
Speaker 1: Maybe The last thing from my side is just as me being practical, I went and bought a battery the other day in Leedle in Germany. It cost me two hundred euros for two and a half kill a what hours. That's basically one third of the fully installed cost of a large stationary storage battery. And I plug it in and I can use my existing solar system. I worked out the payback and rather than me feeding it into the German grid at en, I'm buying a back at thirty. I have a six month payback on this vestment. Okay, And in other words, I'm saying, is that whole decentralization stuff behind them. You can't block any of that because our properties are so high in Europe. We're just yeah, and I see that happening more and more, which makes it even more complex, this whole system completely.
Speaker 3: There's the sort of systems and data and technology issue that we just need to fix as well. With we don't really know what's happening at the distribution level. I think one of my colleagues said the other day, we know more about where an Amazon parcel is this in the world than we know about where electrons are flowing, so we actually have very little data. And then there's just like simple things like we don't have enough smart meters in German households to actually deliver the flexibility. So all of these great things that you can do with distributed resources like vehicle to grid and all of this stuff, and we don't have the systems quite there for that to happen. So we undoubtedly think it will happen. It's coming. It's just the thornier question of integration and implementation of these things. The theory of it is sort of really attractive for sure.
Speaker 2: Oh and I've got one last question left, and thank you for your patients and working without net. You've been very good. So my last question is with every trade, is ever twice too big or twice too small? So what investment you wish you had done sooner? And which one do you regret having done?
Speaker 3: Yeah, sooner probably. I don't know if I would regret that we didn't do it sooner, but I think we should have done it twice as big was building out our battery capabilities. We had this thesis that I mentioned earlier, and it kind of five years ago. We were a bit uncertain whether it was going to pan out. About a year in it became pretty clear that it was going to work out, and we got a lot of projects done, and we built this great team and everything. But I think probably what I would have if I could go back and talk to myself, then I would say double down faster in all the other markets that you think this will be a big thing, and go a bit harder at it. I mean we've still I think we're one of the biggest investors in Europe and battery storage. I don't think we missed too much of the opportunity. And it's also like ten x growth that you were exceeding forecasts in the next ten years, right, So in the scheme of things were still pretty early on in this build out. We should have gone a bit faster and harder when art thesis was working out. In terms of investments that I regret. I mean, we're a greenfield investors, so we're taking a lot of not a lot, but we take development risk on assets and so sometimes that works out, sometimes it doesn't work out. That's just kind of comes with the territory. There's sort of two ways to de risk that. The first is by spending.
Speaker 2: You know, you don't want to say hi, wag no, he doesn't want to say in the US.
Speaker 3: I'm going to say something else.
Speaker 2: Don't worry.
Speaker 3: Don't worry, you'll get a juicy word. We try to make sure we only do things that sort of make sense in terms of the fundamentals, and then we spend as little as possible until we know that that is actually going to be deliverable. And actually, I think one investment where it has been a challenge is a US off Sure Wind. We've got one project near pretty much finished in construction, Vineyard Wind, that we own with the Patroller, and then we've got some leases that we own. The fundamentals of those projects makes sense. So the states need the power, the powers competitive versus other sources, and we have not spent too much in the scheme of things, so we can afford to sort of hold those assets for a little bit longer. So for us, sort of the de risking of it is that we can afford to be a bit patient and wait until the fundamentals that are still there and attractive can get those assets built. So we think it's a matter of when and not if. But you know, we're twenty twenty hindsight, if I could go back and say, like I think at the time we made with the information we had, we made the right decision but of course if I could go back and just say don't do that, maybe I would.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I just wait waiting for the Democrats to get in. Basically, well comment.
Speaker 2: Well one, thank you very much for joining the show. It was a very pleasant conversation, and I thank Natashan Uldili Piper for organizing all this. And I please join me to thank you applaud oh elinor that's a good.
Speaker 1: Thank you for listening to Redefining Energy. Don't forget to rate the show and subscribe on Apple Podcast, Spotify, or the platform of your choice.