Speaker 1: The FBI in Peace and War. Another great story based on Frederick Girl Collins copyrighted book The FBI in Peace and War, Drama, Thrills, Action, The Night Story, The Target.
Speaker 2: Hell, I was berkey there, Captain Burkey, hold.
Speaker 3: On hey, cap'n oh call hold on coming?
Speaker 4: Thanks thanks a lot, speaking happy. This is Joe, Joe rising? Where Joe?
Speaker 3: How are you? What a surprise?
Speaker 4: Listen camp here? Talk much now? You still skipper? That tough engine?
Speaker 3: I am still a skipper, but the don't see isn't any tough?
Speaker 4: Okay, no offense? Now when do you shove off?
Speaker 2: Why can you take on a passenger?
Speaker 4: That's right, same deal as last time?
Speaker 5: I don't know.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 4: Okay, name your own price.
Speaker 3: All right, Joe. I guess I can take your arm be a twelve, be a board.
Speaker 4: Before I will be cappy. Don't worry.
Speaker 5: Okay, that's that.
Speaker 4: How come on?
Speaker 6: Come on?
Speaker 4: Get my bag packed? Good?
Speaker 6: Right?
Speaker 2: Oh sure it's no good. I suppose you'd like it better. I just stood still on my babe, pon me full of.
Speaker 4: Holes if I wanted. Wait, when you stop joining like an idiot? Get my bag packed? You don't talk to babe, Stansick. You don't explain.
Speaker 2: I thought he was in for good who have a dreams he could break out of a box like Louis.
Speaker 7: Yo.
Speaker 4: It couesn't ask get mind packing my bag. I'm not gonna wait for it.
Speaker 7: On a July morning last year, a three time loser named Boloslav Babe Stansick made a daring escape from the Federal penitentiary at Louisbourg. Sansick was a dangerous killer. Five years before he had been turned in by an informer named Joseph Riser. During his trial had repeatedly sworn bloody revenge. Now, with Stamsick at large, we felt Riser was a living target. An all points bulletin was promptly sent out on both men. We were confident of one thing. If we found Riser, we'd also find stam Sick. Our immediate problem was food would find him first.
Speaker 4: So welcome aboard. Joseph's been too long between sevens and what have The rope said, Yes, I saved your old cabin. Boy. I did first mate to use nick, but I said to him, I said, Tomaso, you remember I'm tide with shovel pretty soon now, I said, Tomaso clear out.
Speaker 3: We got us a cab.
Speaker 4: Faing gus help you, Everen. Yes, it's good to see you back. How does it look to you? Same old tubs, same crounny chabins, same chiel and skipping easy now and I can fill you in irons for less than that. Oh, come here, let's have a look at you. Joe yay, couple of grays since I saw you? Onyeah, sure, I worry on my income text, same old Joseph too. How long has been Joe? Two years? Three or something like that? You shove it up pretty soon, now that's right. It was three years, I think right after you drove the car and that pale old Josh happy. I'm a little beat. I think i'll turn in a few mind three. You said you were going straight after that one, and I knew you'd be back. How long you figure on hiding out? Does it? I'm not hiding out? Six weeks? Maybe it was six last time I told you.
Speaker 2: I don't know, six, maybe more. You got the objections all right with me?
Speaker 4: How long you stay? The more I charge you, no objection, as long as you've got to care. What's not right? Now?
Speaker 6: That?
Speaker 5: What is it to Mars?
Speaker 4: So you got a water of the Asia room copytin. All right, Tomasso one second, Joseph, okay, we'll be shoving off now. You can relax six weeks at least, my friend. It's easily that before the eats off the massa. Yes, copytain you get the evening papers, yes, computer anything in them? I do not know.
Speaker 5: There was a robbery a bank of town.
Speaker 4: The thief took over ninety thousand dollars. The paper's name Joe. Oooh. They see nothing with senor jewel over night it does.
Speaker 5: That's least what it say.
Speaker 4: It was Joe all right, and even better than I figin Tomasa. I don't go at the engine room. You stop in the gallery and bring Joe back some scotch, a bottle of my very best. We start off and get a passenger with over ninety thousand dollars in new banknotes to myself. We want to wish him a pleasant voyage, don't we.
Speaker 1: Back to the targets in just a moment.
Speaker 7: Why do men of our American Armed forces honor a code of conduct? General Lawton Jay Collins answered the question in this way, we take for granted much too much, in my opinion, the freedoms that we have here at home. Our system is based on the conviction that you and I have a responsibility and a life to live of our own, a responsibility to ourselves and a responsibility to God Almighty. But I can assure you we must continue with the program of checking the spread of communism in the world, guaranteeing our freedom of living, in order that you and I can enjoy some of these great things in this place which we call America. That is why the American military man honors a code of condest.
Speaker 1: Back too tonight. Story on the FBI in Peace and War.
Speaker 5: The target.
Speaker 7: Memorandum to the Director confidential in reference our bulletins to one O four dash W Babe Stansleick escaped prisoner Police Departments, Bays City reports car commandeered at gunpoint by a man of this description. Check driver, reliable background, await instructions. Sign at Stevens. Hello, Dave, I see miss Gilbert Thomas Randrews. I'd like to see him soon as he's free and no phone calls please while I'm with Agent Reynolds.
Speaker 5: Sorry, Dave, been waiting long a couple of minutes.
Speaker 6: How did it go?
Speaker 5: In Bay City? Same old story. I'm afraid another dead end. Looks like time defeat. That's a long drive. Cigarette. Thanks, I could use one at leid. It was no good.
Speaker 7: Huh oh, it was good as far as it went. The driver was reliable, as the local boys said so. The man who commandeered his car was undoubtedly stamsy, but he forced the driver out two miles out of town, then ditched the car himself in a sandlot near Millbridge.
Speaker 5: That's as far as I got, a sand lot near Millbridge. Not much health, is it? Not much? How about you?
Speaker 4: I don't know.
Speaker 2: Maybe something maybe not checked all those addresses. Uh huh at rooming house, Yeah, that's the maybe something.
Speaker 5: What well?
Speaker 2: I showed the landlady Joe Rais's picture. Seemed to me she recognized it, but she shot up like a clam. The only thing I could get out of her was try three B, three B the rear apartment on the third flour. Steve was riserho ever.
Speaker 5: Married, not that we know of. That doesn't include recently, of course.
Speaker 6: Uh huh.
Speaker 2: Woman in three B, Yeah, but the name plate said Freedom Milton. I showed her Joe's picture, and she clammed up, tied in the landlady wanted to know who I was and what I was doing there anyway. He told her I did, and she seemed to relieved. But I couldn't get a thing more from her. Better check into it further already I am.
Speaker 7: But in the meantime, in the meantime, it looks like Stanzick and Joe Riser are one up on us.
Speaker 2: Stansick anyway, I'd say Ryser was one upon him self. You think for his own sake he want to cooperate.
Speaker 7: Yeah, you would, But fear is an unpredictable factor, Dave. When the man's afraid, he doesn't want.
Speaker 5: To cooperate, even with the law.
Speaker 7: All he wants to do is run away and hide.
Speaker 4: The masso. He's copy the let's have those papers you saved from me right here. Copy you are going to give Senor Jordie. Yeah, how you say the bad news? It's about time, isn't it. He's been with us two weeks now.
Speaker 5: How bad is he going to be?
Speaker 4: Well, Scotch whisky is pretty expensive these days, one thousand dollars and food. Man eats like a horse. It's going to be very bad, Tomaso. After all, I didn't know I was harboring any fugitive bank rubber, now did I It's going to be very bad news. Indeed, a little drink happy. Oh thanks, Joe, I'm due up on deck. You go ahead. I've been going.
Speaker 2: I had no food and ever enjoyed myself so much in my life. You like the delci yah, no complaints to share complaints. The food is lousy and his cabinet stinks. Yeah yeah, outside of that. Outside of that, the whiskey is sensation. Without that, you could starve at that. You know that bottoms up?
Speaker 4: What's on your mind? Cappy r it's Bill's water. You're hand in me. I may be high, but not enough to swallow the step of your feet. And what's on your mind? You're a smart boy, Joseph.
Speaker 2: I'm smart enough to know you had something cooking ever since you stepped in here.
Speaker 4: Well, now it's a little fast. You went dough by the time I made a down payment. Right, you have been aboard two weeks now, that's what I figured. I'm all right. Oh sure, okay, what's the damage? Well that's five hundred bucks.
Speaker 2: Sorry, Joe, it's been a ten view. Eh, you won't take five huh, that's right.
Speaker 4: I want. Okay, suppose you give me a figure, all right, Suppose I do five thousand, five what thousand for every week you're about my ship? Yeah, okay, I'm waiting, waiting for the gag, O gag, Joseph. I'm in it. I want five thousand a week, six weeks. I'll be thirty thousand when I say no. You want why, oh, Josie, why won't I say no? I'll tell you why. And if you don't like what I'm saying, just remember I don't like being handled. If you make one fancy move at me, I'll slap you and iron so fast you're Cathy, all right, all right? I just want to get that straight. And I figured this all out very carefully. Joseph. You can't say no. Go on. Day after tomorrow. We do back and forth with every cup in town on the lookout for you. Now, now, Joseph, don't play games with me every cup on the lookout. Joe, Joe, you underestimate me. I buy the newspapers I read. I read about bank robberies. Right this one you prove.
Speaker 5: To me.
Speaker 4: It strikes your money. That's very funny, Kebby, that's what's behind this? How you think I'm hiding out for some bank job. I told you, Joseph, don't play games. I'm not so help me.
Speaker 7: I'm not.
Speaker 4: You're not hiding out from me, No Cathy. From what? Then? Babe stands at Kevin. Babe Stone seeks a number he broke out two weeks ago. He's coming to get me.
Speaker 7: Now.
Speaker 4: Do I know my wallets in that pocket holds fifteen hundred?
Speaker 6: Even search the.
Speaker 4: Cabin If you don't believe me, tomorrows will already search. Well, then you could have stashed the money at home. They're coming into Port day after the Mars. That's the apartment. Yeah, maybe I will. Predo will tell you about baby. Ask her. I'm leveling with you, Cappy, you better be. I got no appreciation for passengers who play games. Joe, you better be leveling with me.
Speaker 5: Well wait, uh huh, she's out again.
Speaker 6: Please you bring her around, watch you? Okay? That's better, you know see?
Speaker 4: Please?
Speaker 6: I want to let your loone. Honey, you think I like doing this?
Speaker 8: Just tell me where's that skunk boyfriend of yours?
Speaker 6: And alone I'll leave you. You got my words.
Speaker 9: I don't know where you told me before. You still don't know now please yes or no? You know you don't know which I don't Ah. Nick Joe were still having trouble remembering things, so.
Speaker 8: Joe could be Okay, Freda, you'll talk, I'll listen.
Speaker 6: I'll give you the words to say.
Speaker 7: Come on, you come on, pick around your ears.
Speaker 5: Let's see I.
Speaker 6: Did I remember? Don't say till I give you the words.
Speaker 5: Remember.
Speaker 6: Okay, Then when I pick up say.
Speaker 2: Hello, hey, hello, Freda, Hello Hello.
Speaker 6: Yes, that's not Joe's voice. That's who it is.
Speaker 1: Who is this?
Speaker 3: It's no cop Frida. You don't have to worry. It's only me, Captain Bercky.
Speaker 5: What does he want? What do you want?
Speaker 6: Kat Me?
Speaker 3: I don't want a thing. It just got into park this morning. Joe said, make sure and call Frida.
Speaker 4: This is our boy telling him. Don't say anything over the phone. Come up to your popping I do want till your.
Speaker 3: Freda Hell, Freda, an't you there?
Speaker 4: Yeah? I don't think you better say anything over the phone.
Speaker 9: Could you come up here to.
Speaker 5: The apartment for hell?
Speaker 3: Now, there's a coincidence. I was going to suggest that very thing. I can hop in the cat and be there in twenty minutes.
Speaker 6: You'll be waiting freedom.
Speaker 4: You'll be waiting twenty minutes, all right, I'll be waiting.
Speaker 6: Okay, that was just right.
Speaker 5: Oh boy, babe.
Speaker 6: Yeah, just get into.
Speaker 8: Port with word from Joe and he's coming here in twenty minutes and we'll be waiting for him.
Speaker 4: Have Frida, We'll be waiting, just like you said.
Speaker 1: Back to the target in just a moment. You know, many great men have attained the highest office in our land, the presidency of the United States.
Speaker 5: Can you guess the name of this man?
Speaker 1: He was born in seventeen ninety in the state of Virginia, and his life seemed dedicated to his birthplace. As a representative of that state, he served as a member of Congress and a United States Senator. Later, he served in the legislature of Virginia and became governors. He was elected Vice President of the United States in eighteen forty.
Speaker 4: One month after he took.
Speaker 1: The oath of office, President William Henry Harrison died, and the man of whom we are speaking became our national leader. He had not truly aspired to the office, but he served well and faithfully during his term. However, he did not campaign for an other term. Well you should have his name by now, but in case you don't, here's one important clue. You'll recall that the campaign slogan of William Henry Harrison was typical new and Tyler too. Yes he was John Tyler, tenth President of the United States. His life is part of your American heritage. Fact Free of the Night story on the FBI in Peace and War the target.
Speaker 10: Want me.
Speaker 3: I don't want a thing. Just got into part this morning, Joseph, make sure and call oh Frida. Hello, Frida you there?
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, I don't think you'd better say anything over the phone.
Speaker 3: Could you come up here to your apartment? Well, now there's a co instance. I was going to suggest that very thing. I can hop in the cat and be there in twenty minutes. Twenty minutes, all right, I'll.
Speaker 4: Be waiting, I said.
Speaker 5: See that was the only call. Isn't it enough? Maybe all time? Was it recorded three fifteen, little more than two hours ago? Go to the apartment?
Speaker 7: Tell you after this call, I may have a better idea. Hello, operator, could you get me the Sea Farri's.
Speaker 5: Union on River Street. I don't know the number. Yes, I'll hold on.
Speaker 9: Okay, Nick, wait for me here, all right, very come on, pop out of the car.
Speaker 4: Listen, miss Hi you hit him? Yeah? Sure, seeing Nick, Let's go, mister Stanley, it's the boat here, Yes, I say, up.
Speaker 6: The gang way. Do everything like I said, you go with quick?
Speaker 4: What are you going to do if I'm with you? Joe knows it was me. Who's no difference what Joe knows? Mister Stancy, You're not going to do any shooting on my ship, this crummy tanker.
Speaker 6: I'm surprised.
Speaker 4: Thing cloak you said?
Speaker 8: If I ripped your gizzard out of your budness?
Speaker 6: Who's that up there?
Speaker 4: Well?
Speaker 3: Hello, got you cover?
Speaker 6: It's me to myself, tell him I'm with you.
Speaker 5: You brought along a friend.
Speaker 4: I tell him this gentleman's with me. To myself, it's all right. Would I have a word with you later? To mysel I got some business to dand what piece you fort them?
Speaker 6: What the captain said?
Speaker 4: Lady, it's all right to myself. Wait for me on the bridge.
Speaker 6: That's a good idea.
Speaker 10: You'll wait for him.
Speaker 4: Which way down there? Last cabin on the ride. Okay, mister stand sick, don't you no? I don't yeh. This way.
Speaker 6: He's in there.
Speaker 4: Yeah, no gun play, right, okay, pop no gunplay that when a nice silent switchblade can bring the same results. Switch plade, Take me.
Speaker 6: And introduce me, P Well, I can job. I waited a long time. Okay, open up?
Speaker 10: Okay, Joe, on your feet, you got all the ready, your days to sleep up out of.
Speaker 5: That bunkin you talking to me? Mister?
Speaker 6: What is this kind of a trick?
Speaker 4: No, Joe, I don't know why I do.
Speaker 7: He's in our custody, but we took him off the ship just half an hour ago.
Speaker 4: You took him off. Say who are you anyway? What you doing about my ship?
Speaker 7: Major Stevens, Captain FBI? And I think you know what I'm doing Affoord FBI. That's right, Stansy, I wouldn't try using that if I were you. This gun is loaded and my medals say I'm supposed to be a crack shot.
Speaker 6: Why yep?
Speaker 7: Yes, and I wouldn't try that either. There's another agent just outside and four more out on deck. Now that's being smart, Stansay. There's a full moon out tonight. You would really make a beautiful target. Although on the train back to prison, he made another futile attempt to escape. Babe Stanzik was safely returned to Louisbourg and handed.
Speaker 5: Over to the authorities.
Speaker 7: A charge of consorting with an escape fugitive was brought against Captain Burkey's but his attorney was able to convince a grand jury not to return an indictment. However, with Stanzick secure under special guard in an escape proof cell block, it is safe to predict he's had his last crack at the target.
Speaker 1: In a night story, Bob Redialay departed Jury River. Ob Driving was Captain Burking. This radio dramatization for the FBI and Recent War was written by Jack Hanson Bing. These programs are produced and directed by Betty Mandebil. All names and characters used on the program are fictitious. Any similarity to person's living or dead is parity. Coincidentally, this program is based upon Frederick L. Collins copyrighted book The FBI in Peace and War, and the broadcast is not in by endorsement, authorization, or approval of the Federal Bureau of Investigation.
Speaker 7: This is the United States Armed Forces Radio and Television Service
Speaker 6: And do