Speaker 1: Author's Playhouse.
Speaker 2: Authors Playhouse presents Tonight, a story of romance south of the Border.
Speaker 3: In Mexico City's gay hotel Pizzaro.
Speaker 2: One of the world's few remaining luxury hotels. It's well be a crowded with tourists, three of whom we're particularly interested in. Before we go any further, though, it might be a good idea to make the acquaintance of the persons in question. Hi Kramer, the reporter, For example, I.
Speaker 4: Got a telegram from the office. A character with the name of Manchester Smallwood's coming in this morning. The magazine wants us to cover his arrival with story and pictures. And then his photographer petit Mary Jane Fraser.
Speaker 5: Don't disturb me. Genius at work. This picture of Manchester small Wood in the throes of a samba is going to be the crowning point of my career.
Speaker 2: And less, but by no means least mister big himself. Manchester Smallwood, will you be kind enough to put away your camera.
Speaker 1: I do not wish any pictures taken. My affairs are definitely not your concern.
Speaker 2: Now, if all of this leaves you with the impression that all is not too neighborly among the northern good neighbors. You're right, but it all leads to merriment and Mexico Beginning on an early morning of a bright, warm day.
Speaker 3: It's too beautiful for work, but just.
Speaker 2: Right for idling in the sunshine. Mary Jane Fraser and Robert Carson's story Southern Exposure.
Speaker 6: Good morning, hankle, dear, meet.
Speaker 1: A different woman.
Speaker 5: I'd love to where Oh, very funny, very funny, mister Kramer. Look, this is our first day in Mexico City. I have no pictures to take, you have no story to write for our magazine of the Masses. We go to Sandborn's for breakfast, a nice, long, luxurious breakfast. Then we'll go sit in the park on a sunny bench with the rest.
Speaker 1: Of the box.
Speaker 3: Huh.
Speaker 4: I got a telegram from the office, a character but the name of Manchester. Small Wood's coming in this morning. They want us to cover his arrival.
Speaker 6: What's he coming for? To fight a bull?
Speaker 4: He's not coming to fight anybody. This is good neighbour stuff with our sister Republic, A big delicate deal.
Speaker 6: Why is he news? Is the Truman Committee after him?
Speaker 4: He's probably gonna see the presidents here and everybody. You seem politically ignorant.
Speaker 5: Honey, Well, I'm not ignorant. I just can't think without my breakfast, that's all. What's cooking with this Manchester?
Speaker 4: Oh, Manchester is a hot man for putting the fix on Latin America's troubles. Every time there's a heartache south of the border, does mister Anthony. He speaks Spanish with a strong University Wisconsin accent.
Speaker 6: I don't get it well.
Speaker 4: As Manchester was a child lawyer back in the days when they were calling for a new deal. He had a deck that wasn't marked, so they dragged him into Washington. He's been there ever since. Nothing flashy about Manchester, but he gets resolved.
Speaker 6: Never heard of him. Shall we go to breakfast before?
Speaker 4: I think, they say in New York it's important if it was me now, i'd photographed the guy and.
Speaker 3: Here his pitiful little story.
Speaker 5: Right after breakfast.
Speaker 3: Later, his plane gets here in forty minutes.
Speaker 1: I checked with the desk.
Speaker 6: Oh, you diamond, lagree.
Speaker 5: Why does life have.
Speaker 6: To be so bitter for a lone woman?
Speaker 3: A woman must suffer, my child.
Speaker 4: It's the woman who pays, especially if she can get a good job like you have. Go Senorita and procure your little picture taking black box.
Speaker 1: Where now riving?
Speaker 5: No, don't let anyone get away handy. Now, one navy guy, and if I charged him for looking, I could make a fortune. One fat Mexican signor a lady with a baby to ask her hank, that might be small when she's carrying.
Speaker 3: No sarcasm, sweetheart, this is big time. You're a sneering at hey. I think coming up as our man, he's the last one.
Speaker 5: Up speaking is an acute professional.
Speaker 6: I should say.
Speaker 5: The lad's no pinup boy. But there is character in his kisser.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 5: He looks a little like Gary Cooper playing Abraham Lincoln.
Speaker 4: Yeah, well come on, we'll give him a chance to free the slaves.
Speaker 1: Uh, mister small one Manchester, That is correct, sir.
Speaker 4: I'd know you any place, especially when you give me your name. How you feeling enjoy.
Speaker 1: Your trip very much? May I ask your name?
Speaker 3: Yes, you may, but it just take up time and we have work to do. Now.
Speaker 4: I have the honor of representing Lenz, the greatest weekly picture magazine.
Speaker 3: In the world.
Speaker 5: He's pretty Stick him in the doorway.
Speaker 1: I beg your pardon.
Speaker 4: I'll just back up. Look at the lady with the camera. Let's see a big, happy smile. This can be quick if you'll cooperate.
Speaker 5: No small, but I've changed my mind. Go back in the plane and come out for me, and then low as you do so, I'll have a little light over you, and let's see your teeth.
Speaker 1: Madam? Would you be kind enough to put away your camera. I do not wish any pictures taken.
Speaker 5: Oh I don't think you understand. We're from a picture magazine, Lynch.
Speaker 1: I understand perfectly, and I don't want my picture taken.
Speaker 5: Are you kidding?
Speaker 6: Everybody wants his picture taken.
Speaker 1: There is always the exception that proves the road. Madam. I am that exception. Good day.
Speaker 5: Did you hear what he called me?
Speaker 6: Madam?
Speaker 5: They can't do that to me?
Speaker 4: Follow me, eh, madam. This requires a little diplomacy. We'll nab him in customs.
Speaker 5: Hey, I could steal a shot from here?
Speaker 6: Not very clear?
Speaker 3: Oh no, that wouldn't be ethic. Only beef about fuzzy stuff at the office.
Speaker 4: Somebody has to make that boy see the light, and I'm just the cookie to do it.
Speaker 3: He's begging for the super X treatment. You wait here for me.
Speaker 5: Hang on a minute, he'll be at our hotel. He's got a reservation there.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it isn't all.
Speaker 4: He's got strong principles too, doesn't drink besides, and doesn't smoke.
Speaker 3: His only bise is taking long walks alone.
Speaker 5: Hush your chatter, son, and make what they're running. Supporter's piling his luggage.
Speaker 3: Into a can.
Speaker 5: And if we too are homeward.
Speaker 6: Donner, pardon me.
Speaker 5: I hear you're going.
Speaker 6: To the Pizarro that's our hotel. Do you find if we share a ride?
Speaker 1: Not at all, Mary.
Speaker 5: Jane Fraser, you've already met my father here.
Speaker 6: Get in daddy.
Speaker 3: Coach now, then, mister Smallwood, leave me. Have your views on the deal you're handling here, and make them colorful.
Speaker 1: I am in Mexico entirely unofficially. The purpose of my trip is rest in relaxation. I do not desire to have anything credit about.
Speaker 3: Fine. Fine. I hear you're going to meet with a lot of high government officials.
Speaker 1: You have been misinformed.
Speaker 4: Look Smallwood, now we better be frank with each other. This is getting us nowhere.
Speaker 1: I'll be frank with you, mister Kramer. My affairs are definitely not your concern. I won't answer any of your questions. I suggest you stop bothering me.
Speaker 5: This man I don't like him.
Speaker 4: Eat your breakfast and don't quibble. He's a fine, upstanding kid. They probably told him to come down here with a clamp on his lip. You know, one reason he's done so well is because he never gets into any trouble. You mustn't confuse his public life with his private life. His private life's undoubtedly awful.
Speaker 5: His public life is going to be awful by the time I'm through with him.
Speaker 3: And you will arrange that house Snorita by means.
Speaker 6: Known only to myself.
Speaker 5: I may put a flour in my hair, wear a long black dress, and carry castanets.
Speaker 6: Remember the story of Carmen.
Speaker 3: Nope, never knew the dame. But I expect to get a lot of laughs out of you, and maybe a jail senter.
Speaker 5: Oh, don't worry, Pappy. Tomorrow's Sunday. I always behave that day. Monday, we cover all the sides of Mexico City. I'll be under your eagle eye.
Speaker 7: And Tuesday, Ah, Tuesday.
Speaker 1: Don't go too quickly here. Let me help you. Are you badly hurt? Madam?
Speaker 5: I don't know my ankle.
Speaker 1: You haven't fractured it.
Speaker 5: Oh no, no, no, it's only a bad sprain.
Speaker 6: I think.
Speaker 1: Well in that case, you mustn't put any weight on it. I'll carry you. Shall it be the hotel?
Speaker 6: Oh you're too kind.
Speaker 5: It's so dark out here.
Speaker 6: Yes, yes, this is my hotel.
Speaker 1: Can you place an arm about my neck?
Speaker 3: Why?
Speaker 6: Small Wood? This is so unexpected.
Speaker 1: Oh it's miss Fraser, not at all, you see, in order to facilitate our progress under what might be difficulty.
Speaker 5: I wouldn't dream of causing you difficulty.
Speaker 6: There is that better?
Speaker 5: Uh?
Speaker 1: Yes, quite Perhaps if.
Speaker 5: I leaned my head on your shoulder I could RelA.
Speaker 1: That is certainly a point to consider.
Speaker 6: Considered and sound satisfactory.
Speaker 4: Are you comfortable?
Speaker 1: Yes? Very that is Your light is a feather to hold.
Speaker 7: Well.
Speaker 6: You're nice to take pity on poor little meat.
Speaker 1: Not a bit my good fortune. I didn't know you enjoyed strolling in the evening.
Speaker 5: Oh, I adore the simple pleasures walking reading.
Speaker 1: I assure you. It's a pleasure to be of service Manchester.
Speaker 5: You must be for whom the girl's scout.
Speaker 6: You're so very.
Speaker 1: Sweet, not at all. I hope to be able to get you safely through this crowded lobby.
Speaker 5: Do you see Hank around?
Speaker 1: Yes, I believe he's there at the desk.
Speaker 5: Oh, uncle, Henry, what's happened?
Speaker 1: Mary Jane's speak to me? Please get miss Fraser's key. I must take her to her room. She'll need hot water for her ankle more.
Speaker 5: Oh please don't worry about me, Manchester. I'll be all right. I only hope you didn't wreck your back carrying me up to my room.
Speaker 1: Not at all. I liked it, I mean helping you.
Speaker 5: You're awfully strong, not at all.
Speaker 1: That is no stronger than any man my size. Mister Kramer could have carried you just as well.
Speaker 3: Oh no, he couldn't.
Speaker 5: It was so wonderful your being there. I don't know what I'd have done. I was friping out of my wits.
Speaker 1: You're very brave for such a little girl. Oh yes you are.
Speaker 5: Yes, something bothering you, mister Cramer. No, how can I ever thank you?
Speaker 6: Manchester?
Speaker 5: I know I've put you to a great deal of trouble, not at all. You know, we seem to have so many things in common that I'd like to talk over. We ought to wait a minute. What about tonight? Hank and his girlfriend and I have planned a little celebration.
Speaker 6: Yes, yes, you remember.
Speaker 5: Could you join us?
Speaker 1: Uh celebration?
Speaker 5: Yes, you know, a nightclub or two, and maybe a ride along the Paca.
Speaker 6: I own an open taxi.
Speaker 1: It sounds delightful. I shall be happy to join all.
Speaker 6: Let's swell, let's make it to eight o'clock.
Speaker 1: Eight o'clock it is.
Speaker 4: I look forward to seeing you and you, sir, Yes, not at all, Mary Jane. Not that you didn't use that old lady in distress chestnut that I.
Speaker 8: Did that I did.
Speaker 5: There he is walking up and down the pasello and a fellow Anglo Saxon takes a fall right in front of him.
Speaker 6: Turns out to be a girl.
Speaker 5: From his own hotel, so he picks her up. I had my arms around his neck and groaned and whispered in his ear the whole trip. And by an odd coincidence, I was wearing a perfume called Bewilderment.
Speaker 1: You see what happened.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but they don't go for that anymore. Turned ankle trick was washed up in the nineties.
Speaker 5: History Henry has a habit of repeating itself, And.
Speaker 4: You have a habit of being right, Well, when do I hear the rest of the plot?
Speaker 3: Now, fine, We're.
Speaker 5: Going to do a story on how marvelous Manchester spends his spare time during a mission to Mexico with My angle is to furnish him with some spare time and photograph it.
Speaker 4: I get it.
Speaker 5: Yours is to take down his thoughts, if any, and furnish a continuity if any. With luck, we ought to be able to give him quite a reputation in the nation's capital.
Speaker 6: Do you mind to coin a phrase?
Speaker 3: Not at all?
Speaker 4: What about Manchester is going to? Furthermore, that guy, though backward in many respects, it's too smart to fall for such an open and shat routine.
Speaker 5: Now you mark my word, you mark mine. I've turned the fatal powers of my fascination on him. If he bought the ankle stuff, you'll buy anything. There's a little left to do except knock him off.
Speaker 3: Well, thanks for the interview.
Speaker 4: Be careful at poison dripping from your fangs doesn't ruin your Toothbruce, Hey, you surprise me.
Speaker 6: You're not speaking Frankly.
Speaker 5: I expected to tread a few measures with you might leave me a main woman, And here I am floating around like sixty.
Speaker 1: I learned to dance very thoroughly as part of my job. You never know whose wife you'll have to dance with in the light of duties in an agreement might be recolized having on their own toes.
Speaker 5: I see on your room mode major hemispheric solidarity. Do you ever have to make love in the course of your duty?
Speaker 1: Not at all?
Speaker 6: Oh, that's a pity, Manchester.
Speaker 5: Why do you say that life and love inseparable?
Speaker 1: You know so, the philosophers tell us. True, I hadn't given the money thought before.
Speaker 6: Oh, but you should.
Speaker 5: Well, you're forgetting that love makes the world go wrong in some way or another. It's behind all our right. You'd find that out if you knew more people.
Speaker 1: But I do. I meet scores of them all the time.
Speaker 5: Oh, those people you meet a stand which their real selves away. It's not like the guy who parades along Broadway between two wards. You barely see him, but you can't miss what he's advertised.
Speaker 1: But these people don't advertise. They're not commercial.
Speaker 5: Oh you grow younger by the minute, honey shop. Look, everyone who is dead advertises something beauty, brains, poverty, wickedness. Only I have to be able to distinguish the real thing from the build up he gives himself.
Speaker 1: You amaze me. Let us take a specific example. I see it for teeth, figure, curly brown hair, and deep blue eyes. Now tell me, miss Fraser, what other hidden quality should I search for.
Speaker 5: Well to make it colorful? Let's say teach read the seat and jump plain skullduggery.
Speaker 1: You try too hard to deny the evidence as an eyewitness. I believe you are a forthright and lawyers too kind hearted to take advantage of anyone and heard.
Speaker 5: I'm really a double crossing count.
Speaker 1: Not at all. I shall prove how long you are to leave us.
Speaker 5: Practice on me some other times. Right now, I want Hank's girlfriends to know that you cut a mean rug.
Speaker 1: I hope Senorita Cary will favor me with a dad.
Speaker 6: I'm sure she will. And here we are too a matha.
Speaker 5: You won't have to spend the whole evening waltzing with Willie.
Speaker 4: Henry Gramer is the name, and I'll thank you to have a little respect for my twin text little that's possible.
Speaker 5: What I want to get across to Amatha is Manchester's play with the sumber Oh signor you like the man with Manchester Spanish gold a Mama, he's our gifts to Mexico and it comes to free. Then we must speak together, Jeremy, do you find our country interest?
Speaker 1: Whoa see Senorita me magusta machismot. I'll make it.
Speaker 3: There's your chance, baby, make with a camera.
Speaker 5: Manchester that's got the device I have in my hand is the thing I keep for recording many a jolly moment. And then I put the photographs in my album and spend the lonely evenings remembering what big.
Speaker 6: Times I've had.
Speaker 5: Would it know your Manchester if I committed this plan back to the film.
Speaker 1: Of course not.
Speaker 5: Now, how about a special one of you, framed with these cunning little wine gods.
Speaker 1: I would love to.
Speaker 3: Lookay, he'll be giving away no secrets to tell you.
Speaker 4: You're out with a gent who's getting himself photographed right into oblivion.
Speaker 8: Well you mean that character small right. I'm glad he is not Spanish. She's a musical language, but he makes it sound like basic English.
Speaker 1: Oh my years.
Speaker 4: It's stillers have a pretty quick repete well too, But we're staying right out here until the murder's over.
Speaker 8: Now with that many flashboats and all the angle she is covering him from.
Speaker 1: Mary.
Speaker 8: Jane is committing it all right, but you will have to go back for the main events.
Speaker 3: What are you saying?
Speaker 9: Well?
Speaker 8: Night, Jane wants to shot of Manchester doing this number, and I promise to take him on.
Speaker 5: He should look cute doing that little jump in the middle.
Speaker 3: Of woman's in humanity to man And don't you like to stay?
Speaker 8: Okay, it's senior small Wood?
Speaker 6: Have you forgotten us?
Speaker 8: Zamba?
Speaker 1: This music is what we have been waiting for. I hear sanreta carrec pardon that's please, not at all.
Speaker 5: They make cheese and Wisconsin, of which we have with us a sample brand.
Speaker 3: I ought to wash your mouth out with Scott.
Speaker 5: Don't disturb me. Genius at work. This picture of small Wood in the throes of a samba is going to be the crowning shot of my career.
Speaker 8: You know I mean it.
Speaker 1: You are very good SENDI not at all.
Speaker 5: Oh, this has been a wonderful party. I hope all my exposures were right. Then I'll have some swell memories for a cold, rainy night back home.
Speaker 4: Leaving well enough alone, I should say we'd better shove off y'all said about.
Speaker 1: We'll join you in the fall year immediate. Right now that we're alone this phraser, I just want to say that this has been one of the happiest nights of my life, and that I hope the pictures turn out well.
Speaker 6: Thanks so do I.
Speaker 1: Although I may have seemed to pay a good deal of attention to Senorita carry, my thoughts were actually elsewhere on you, to the exact, you are my main interest.
Speaker 6: Well, I'll be done. When did that start.
Speaker 1: When you pretended to sprain your ankle and let me carry you? I never enjoyed lifting anything so much as you.
Speaker 5: So that's what he tells me at the table last night.
Speaker 3: Don't kid yourself.
Speaker 4: The pride of Madison's catching on or was wise from the start. His next step is to take your cute little camera and bust it over your cute little head. And cameras are hard to get these days, So a.
Speaker 6: Man who can dance, maybe I should go easy on him from now on.
Speaker 3: What do you mean from now on?
Speaker 6: Oh, that's when.
Speaker 5: I started to tell you he wants to come along on the rest of the trips we have to take.
Speaker 6: And I've been saying thinking hank All last night.
Speaker 3: You feel a little strained. You shouldn't overdo it, you know the first.
Speaker 6: Time, save you're poisoned. Arrow's friend.
Speaker 5: My conscience isn't bothering me yet, it's well trained. Look the guy is direct and honest, smart in his own government way. He's got a dignity I like too, And after the Wolves of Three Continents, he's a refreshing change.
Speaker 4: Then one day he'll be seeing himself in the pages of Lens and there'll.
Speaker 3: Be another change.
Speaker 4: He won't be associating anymore with the female of the species, which rumor has it.
Speaker 3: Is deadlier than the male.
Speaker 4: Well, here we are in Tasco, after what I call a good week's work.
Speaker 3: The town's the same, but I'll never be We've.
Speaker 5: Only put in a day. And besides, remember the vacation angle. You not only have a story on Tasco, but you got it firsthand, not out of.
Speaker 1: The National geographic I guess I'll always remember Tasco a beautiful place, the drive up out of the valley and over the mountains to fifty six hundred feet high, and life in another century.
Speaker 5: And I'll always remember you Manchester. You've been a right guy about all these pictures. I've got you in a boat at Zacamulco, there's one of you in the National pawn Shop looking at the Hawk diamonds, one at the flower markets, and there's the other one of you met bullfighters Eustis, and now you and Tasco keeping company with a burrow.
Speaker 4: I hope that's present company accepted. If not, as soon will be because I'm getting sleepy. Speaking of the pastoral scene reminds me. I've often thought that after this world conflict is over, I'd be perfectly happy to retire to a farm and watch the milk cams fill up. Cows are a pretty good company when you get to know them, you.
Speaker 6: Know, I'd like to get to know a few cows myself.
Speaker 1: My cows, perhaps why not?
Speaker 4: I think we better shut the barn door now and get going. This kind of conversation is bad for my hay fever.
Speaker 1: Do you wish to retire? Also? Miss Fraser, by the.
Speaker 6: Thing for my thoughts in either sense of the words, I.
Speaker 1: Admire your unflagging spirit.
Speaker 3: Well that's not a pleasure you're likely to overindulge.
Speaker 1: See you're two in the morning.
Speaker 6: Good night, run approaches Hank all.
Speaker 1: Shall we walk down the hills of the plaza, watch the people maybe, or have some refreshment in the pulk carrier.
Speaker 5: Oh, it sounds like the perfect ending.
Speaker 6: Let's go.
Speaker 1: Lovely, isn't it. The flickering lights from the crest of this hill.
Speaker 5: Oh, it's almost too beautiful.
Speaker 6: Nights like this UN's fair in what way?
Speaker 5: Oh?
Speaker 6: They make me go all soft and sentimental.
Speaker 1: Do you have some particular objection to feeling sauce and sentimental?
Speaker 5: Definitely, A working girl can't afford romantic sauces. They never pay time and a half for.
Speaker 1: Overtime five ten dollars and cents perhaps, But they might have other compensations.
Speaker 6: Name one.
Speaker 1: Well. Marriage is generally recognized as the outstanding consummation of romance.
Speaker 5: Wedding bells are for sweet young things with starry eyes. In career women, that's the light that failed.
Speaker 1: I've noticed nothing but a sparkle in your eyes.
Speaker 5: It could be you know.
Speaker 6: Early in life I invested in a book called how.
Speaker 5: To Take Pictures and make enemies or keep the love light glowing to hypnotize her subject. Remember our first meeting.
Speaker 1: That is a source of constant pain to me. I bitterly regret and apologize for my lack of insight.
Speaker 5: Oh, no, hard feelings, take it eating. Besides, it was all in the routine.
Speaker 1: I realized that now I also have realized your advice to be.
Speaker 5: Excellent, and which golden rule is bead.
Speaker 1: Learn about life and love?
Speaker 5: Oh fine, I ought to charge you a slight fee. Now that you're a satisfied customer.
Speaker 1: I'm not yet thoroughly happy.
Speaker 5: Oh that'll never do. What's bothering?
Speaker 1: Now? How to overcome your prejudice against love?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 5: I have nothing against the stuff? Just been too busy, that's all.
Speaker 1: Is a photography going to occupy.
Speaker 5: Your entire life, probably until I need blinkers and a pair of wooden legs.
Speaker 1: Don't you ever consider another existence?
Speaker 6: Certainly I do.
Speaker 5: On a night like this sight, I dream of a cottage by a brooks with a road leading past us.
Speaker 6: All the people in the world can go down that road.
Speaker 5: But I never even look up from my knitting, because I'm just a farmer's daughter and I don't know a thing about a camera.
Speaker 1: Couldn't it be as wonderful a dream if you were a farmer's wife, wife's daughter.
Speaker 5: I won't equipped it's only a dream.
Speaker 1: Then, let's take reality. Look down a task, go below us here. Think of all the people down there who have met and loved and are now engaged in raising children. Economically, they have much to desire and the solid diet of startup.
Speaker 5: I speak to the point you were telling me about the people who've met and loved.
Speaker 1: Oh, yes, well, I've got a funny name, and I'm not much to look at.
Speaker 5: You look a little like Gary Cooper in The Dog Who.
Speaker 6: Never mind?
Speaker 5: What were you saying?
Speaker 1: Just that I love you. A man doesn't get rich working for the government, so I have practically nothing to offer. Nevertheless, I want you to become my wife.
Speaker 6: What I don't know what to say?
Speaker 5: Manchester. This is so sudden, and.
Speaker 6: I'm not exaggerating.
Speaker 1: I know it is. Passion has carried me away. Please forgive me. I'll see you tomorrow. Will you shake hands?
Speaker 5: Of course? Good night? Not at all?
Speaker 6: Well, how do you like that?
Speaker 5: Alone? With flickering lights? People who met and loved? Tascal not much use standing around.
Speaker 9: I guess I do wish to retire after all.
Speaker 3: Okay, if it's okay, break it up.
Speaker 4: It's not a four to eleven alarm the sanway.
Speaker 1: It isn't hurt.
Speaker 4: There's no damage done. So just step away, so the smoke and clear out, all right? Now, Tell Daddy, why do you want to burn this joint down?
Speaker 6: I don't.
Speaker 5: I was burning the negatives of the pictures I took of Manchester, and they flared up for a minute and got away from me.
Speaker 1: Why are you destroying them?
Speaker 5: Oh hank, he proposed to me. I can't double cross a man who wants me to be as bride.
Speaker 3: When did this change of heart occur?
Speaker 5: Well, he knew me better than I did myself.
Speaker 6: After all?
Speaker 3: Are you in love with him?
Speaker 5: I don't know. It may just be the altitude or fatigued.
Speaker 1: I heard the commotion. Is there something the matter?
Speaker 5: Yes, there is, Manchester. I've been a bad girl. I took all of those pictures of you to use in a lens.
Speaker 1: I know you know that is why I was doing all I could to help you get them.
Speaker 5: Weren't you forgetting the exception to the rural business?
Speaker 1: Exactly? I'm sick of being an ambassador of goodwill and of having people shrink at my spanning.
Speaker 3: Meaning us no doubt, and.
Speaker 1: Taking such care of how I act you.
Speaker 4: We have had moments when we loved you for yourself alone, small Wood.
Speaker 1: I wanted those pictures of yours to come out and cause me trouble in Washington. Then I could resign and get in the army where I belong. As long as I keep doing all right, they won't let me go.
Speaker 5: In other words, you've merely been leading me on.
Speaker 1: Not at all. I want you to be my wife, as I stated previously. This evening, however, I accept that's the deal.
Speaker 5: Let's say good night again, and this time we're not going to shake hands.
Speaker 3: This is going to be a most interesting finish. I'm very happy to have a ring sights.
Speaker 5: Well, no, you don't hang. This is one continuity that you went strictly from imagination.
Speaker 4: Wait outside, what National Geographic doesn't funny?
Speaker 5: Seems like that Outside? I am going to kiss Manchester and it may knock him cold.
Speaker 2: You have heard Robert Carson's story Southern Exposure, adapted for Author's Playhouse by Mary C. Quinn and directed by Harry Bubeck. The cast of Author's Playhouse Tonight included Geraldine Kay as Mary, Jane Olin Sole as Hank Kramer, Clarence Hartzel as Manchester, Smallwood, and Cheer Bramson as Senorita amata Akire. The Mexican background melodies were sung by Senor Luthio Garthia, and the musical score was conducted by Joseph Galligil. Next week, same time, same station, Author's Playhouse will bring you Frederick J. Lipp's dramatic story of a man whose mind snapped, and of how he came back to the world he had once known and cherished. Cry for the Hunted