Speaker 1: Check Podcasts.
Speaker 2: Thanks for listening to the Donnie and Dolly podcast. Catch the show Monday through Fudday, ten am to noon on Check.
Speaker 1: I think you're gonna want to hear this.
Speaker 2: Your local sports coverage lives here.
Speaker 3: Two nothing, It's Alva not so fast cohole breath with Don Taylor. I say that the winner of the draft lottery should be the winner of a two man loose and Rick Dolly.
Speaker 4: Wall I had a cherry tree up a little Ricky. I used to go up that tree and just sit there for hours and munch on those cherries years.
Speaker 2: Donnie and Dolly.
Speaker 3: Ten o'clock in downtown Vancouver, will the Paul Carson Studio. Thanks for tuning in, folks. It's Donnie and Dolly the team on Check. Don Taylor, along with Rick Dollywall. Ryan Henderson is our producer. He's the man at the controls or director, the voice of God. Back from one day off two days, I can't keep up three Derek Wan? Yeah, how are you?
Speaker 4: Lovely? Couldn't be better?
Speaker 3: Yesterday we talked about the draft lottery and how disappointing it was for soul. Maybe expected, but disappointing nonetheless, and that then the Canucks dropped from first to third in the draft lottery, and the Leafs, to make it worse, ended up winning the lottery, moving from fifth to first. The Sharks Division, rival of the Canucks, moved from ninth to second. And we on Twitter, we posted that clip of you and I talking about that you were talking about there was a fix in them. It might have been me, you know, in line with the Rogers deal. And you have to see the comments that Rick and I receive. Oh, clearlyaf fans, I'm guessing most of them in Toronto really mean stuff. They were saying.
Speaker 4: About us dinosaurs, You and I get called dinosaurs else.
Speaker 3: More more me than you because I'm older than you.
Speaker 4: I'm not twenty five. I'm getting up there.
Speaker 3: But you know, you know other things that were a lot more vicious than that as well. But these leaf fans out there like they're going after us. Yeah, and a lot of what we said yesterday this just in We tend to be tongue in cheek on this show. But just I don't know if they have any sense of humor in that city too, among that fan base. I mean, Mike, God be happy. You know, you look like your team was going straight downhill the day before with that press conference led by Keith Belly, and then you know a few hours later, seemingly the next day, everything's wine and roses.
Speaker 4: You got your first over Yeah, got it. You got lucky. You know, they got super lucky, I mean super lucky to leave Scott and it acts no luck at all.
Speaker 3: If they're looking for an apology from us, it's just not it's just not going to happen. Get this, just in sports tends to be emotional, and sometimes media people get emotional as well. It's sports trying to put a puck in the net. Relaxedly, fans, you got your first overall pick, You'll be okay. We're going to talk about the white Caps situation as the show goes on. There's another chapter there and it involves our friend friend of the show of BC Jobs, minister Ravic Callan, and so I'm going to update from him and heard from the white Caps as well regarding their situation. And you know, if they could keep the team in Vancouver, let's hope. So back to the Canucks now, Yes, the GM search yet. Two days ago, Jim Rutherford said that they expect to name a GM next week next week and that the list is now down to five. And this is what we believe the list consists of. From everything mostly you have heard.
Speaker 4: Rick, Yeah, Ryan Johnson, who's been there from day one. He's the in house guy. Ryan. Very easily they could name him the GM. He's qualified. Evan Gold from the Boston Bruins. Donnie, I want to say this about Evan Gold. I really do a GM Boston, a candidate that really is impressed in stay one, good sharp hockey mind. When I ask agents about Gold, I get mostly positive positive stuff back. One agent told me the Gold is a tough negotiator. He's built some good teams for Boston on their farm club. He's just not a spare part in Boston like he's involved in their tough decisions. This is a guy to keep an eye on Vancouver. I think Evan Gold, Ryan Bonus from the Islanders Pierre Dorion, which the fans of Vancouver and Twitter I chased out of town.
Speaker 3: I think it was dramatic, and I'm sure people are aware of this, but if you're not aware of it, it was a couple of days ago it looked like he was the number one candidate and that got out there on social media and the various media outlets, and boy the connection Pierre Dorian got ripped into. And then later in the day it was what do you mean, Pierre Dorry never really a strong came.
Speaker 4: The Canucks a panicked. They got calls at Rogers Arena, Hey, we're gonna cancel season tickets where there's gonna be uh, you know, protests in typical typical conduct faction fashion. They they absolutely panicked, and then they got their word out on Twitter through their shills that were not interested in pure dory on it.
Speaker 3: And the fifth is also a Boston assistant general manager.
Speaker 4: A good guy. I'll tell you another guy Boston there. What is Boston got? Don winning culture? And they've been to Stanley Cup Finals quite a few.
Speaker 3: Times since people are aware of that here.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and it's a winning culture in Boston. Not surprised. You go to a team and try to pick the brains of guys that you know. Boston's cam Neely. There's cam Neely yesterday saying that out and round one. But we need more skill and we need more speed. If the Boston Bruins need more skill and speed, what the hell does the Vancouver Canucks need they're thirty second everything everything everything. If cam Neely says we need skill and speed, what do the connection need a million things? They're so far behind the Boston Bruins is not even funny.
Speaker 3: So you look for clues here, one of them being who has BC or CONNU connections, And certainly Ryan Johnson is at the time literally and figuratively at the top of that list. And Ryan Bonus when you talk about BC connections and connections to the current management group. Ryan, of course, Rick Bonus's son who was a Connuck assistant coach for a significant amount of time now with the Islanders. So there's that. And then when you talk about connections to Jim Ruththerford and company worked with Jim Rutherford in Pittsburgh, and you can't say the same about the other three gold Dorian and Jamie Lang and Brunner. I want to show this as well, you had problems with this because I think I think, well, no, you do, and this was before the show, and you have a problem with people who are a little bit older. Ed Willis, Ed Willis, we're retired, respected as to.
Speaker 4: Go, good guy.
Speaker 3: Willis calumnist from the Vancouver Province, Province Dot.
Speaker 4: Com I know Ed, I know Ed's a good.
Speaker 3: Guy, and yet you disrespected the show.
Speaker 4: Stop.
Speaker 3: Ed still has contacts and he treated this out. Was it this morning, Ryan, yes, yesterday? Thanks Ryan. This is Ed's tweet. I'll read it because you don't want to have anything to do. Stop it, don But we've learned in this business, and this is somebody who's extremely well respected. Where there's smoke, there's fire. This is the tweet every now and then I feel the ish to do some reporting. Was told today, this is yesterday that Rutherford had a succession plan a place where Ryan Johnson would succeed Alvin. With Rutherford stepping down, that plan might have changed, but keep this in mind. With the Canucks, anything is possible.
Speaker 4: What have I been saying for weeks, Ryan Johnson was Jim Rutherford's guy. Ryan Johnson doesn't have to impress Jim Rutherford. He's got to impress the owner. The owner is the guy that could have said Elviing fired Johnson new GM. Let's announce it on the same day. He didn't do that. He didn't do that. That's Jim's got.
Speaker 3: We've been reporting Ryan Johns come out of the woodwork. He's been around for several seasons.
Speaker 1: Now the owners don't know about it.
Speaker 3: The owner owner doesn't.
Speaker 1: Know about him.
Speaker 4: I've been saying from day one. The owner is the guy that Ryan Johnson's got to impress. Not JR Jr. Likes him. We know Jim Rutherford. I'm talking j R. God Jr. I'm giving you the initials. And by the way, we know we know that j R. Jim likes uh Ryan Johnson. But the owner's got to sign off, and he hasn't signed off yet.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Well, something like this, a tweet like this, well maybe not this tweet, but it's if they don't hire Ryan Johnson, he goes somewhere else, gonna this will come back and and come go somewhere else. I e Nashville and have success something like this, I'll come back.
Speaker 4: By the way, Ed and I were at the Great Cup.
Speaker 3: In Ottawa, Okay, you do.
Speaker 4: By We were on a treadmill together, so I know at the same time. I'm not the same treadmill dawn he was. I was on a treadmill. He was on the treadmill to the left, and we had a good conversation on the treadmill.
Speaker 1: I'm glad we cleared that up.
Speaker 3: No forwartstanding. We should also mention that yesterday after Elliott Freeman, our friend on the thirty two Thoughts podc cast, brought these two names up, Martin Madden from the Ducks and Scott White, who works in the Dallas Stars organization. Martin Madden has worked with the Ducks. You look at them, but they look good for eighteen years as possibilities for the Caducks' front office. Where are we with that? We didn't put them on the list.
Speaker 4: Yeah, they've interviewed a ton of guys fifteen to twenty, So what.
Speaker 3: About those two. I know they've interviewed them.
Speaker 4: Yeah, they've interviewed me, But don not hearing their name as much as I'm hearing Evan Golds here. You tell you about freaking much right now, you can take that. Evan Gold is a guy that a lot of people in the NHL are talking about right now. When it comes connected to Vancouver, I'll tell you that this is scary.
Speaker 3: This is scary, this is thanks for that. This is a bit scary for Connuct fans. And we didn't run this clip yesterday from Jim Rutherford's interview or media session from a couple of days ago. But I found this a little bit frightening in that I just wonder if the Connucks are going back to their old ways and thinking we rebuild, We'll just do that for you know, two seconds, and then we'll go back to our old ways and try to retool or try to win now. And when you can't win now that you know, Knnuck fans know what I'm talking about. But this is Jim Rutherford. You talk about them interviewing all sorts of people for this GM job, maybe the president's job as well, But this is Jim Rutherford on things he's heard about his organization, the Canucks organization, from people he's interviewed.
Speaker 5: I mean, everybody gives that's one of the questions, where where's the Canucks?
Speaker 3: Now?
Speaker 6: What do you think?
Speaker 5: How long is a rebuild thing?
Speaker 3: Take all those things.
Speaker 5: And different answers on you know. I mean, some people felt that where we are in the rebuild, that we are, you know, through a rougher patch of it, and start to take the upswing on it. I think all them acknowledge that there are some good young players here, but in a rebuild, there's still lots of work.
Speaker 4: Tons of work. Just go look at the Ducks. Go look at the ducks. Eight years, eight years of drafting in the top ten doors.
Speaker 3: That's not the takeaway from that.
Speaker 4: Take away from that is that's why I'm bringing up the Ducks.
Speaker 3: No, But the takeaway is that they're interviewing people and some of them are saying that you're through the tough part. It just started.
Speaker 4: It started at Christmas time the rebuild. You started the year win for Quinn, you went to thirty second. How the hell are you out of the tough rough patch? Like the rough patches? Three four more years of finishing near the bottom of the standing's dog.
Speaker 3: And that's fine. And I just I heard that clip and Ryan and I have had the same reactions. There's a one more toughness to come when it comes to what you have to go through through a rebuild. They're drafting, well, let's let's let's start there. But it's it's gonna be difficult. But what you're selling now and you saw this with the Minnesota trade and the fine players they got back and return, there's hope. That's what That's what you want. What you're selling at every stage of a rebuild until you get where the Montreal's and the Buffaloes and the Anaheims are right now, long run, but you just hope somebody's not just trying to get the job by saying, hey, I think you guys are doing a great job. What are you talking about?
Speaker 4: What the rebuild's done? You know, that would have been Dorian telling the owner I can fix in two years and the owner saying, okay, let's hire.
Speaker 3: Them, and which is what a lot of people felt was the truth, and that's why they really clapped back on that possibility of the Canucks hiring Dorian Patrick Alvin. You remember a couple of days ago during that Jim Rutherford press conference that he talked about or he gave people an update. We didn't really give an update because he didn't really had come to any decision. Same with Patrick Alvin, but there was on April seventeenth, when Patrick Elvin got fired, Jim Rutherford said that there was a possibility he would stay with the organization on some capacity. Where are we with that?
Speaker 4: Well, A lot of people do not think the odds are good that Patrick Alvin will accept a job with the Canucks. It would be totally awkward down with a new hockey boss coming in Jim Rutherford's not there anymore. Elvin should go after the Nashville GM job. It's still opened on would he get permission from the Canucks to talk with the predator? Something to ponder. But the more people you talked about talked to about Elvin not hearing the odds are good that he'll accept a job in Vancouver. Why would he like?
Speaker 3: Don?
Speaker 4: Why would he like would you want to go back to a place.
Speaker 3: That just wants? Had no other choice?
Speaker 4: But he's getting paid regardless, John, he can go sit at home and he can take the year off. That's another thing I heard.
Speaker 1: He could be a good option.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and coluct checks. That's what Jim's going to do. He's going to go to North Carolina. He's got one year.
Speaker 3: Left, but he's going to be an advisor.
Speaker 4: Don sitting in North Carolina advising the Canucks.
Speaker 3: What a job?
Speaker 4: What a job? And collecting checks. Alvin could do the same. But not hearing the odds if you talk to people, are good that he'll accept the Vancouver jop. But we'll wait and see.
Speaker 3: Dax Aquillini, nephew of Francesco Aquillini, is he in on the interviews?
Speaker 4: Yes, he is and I see a lot of people bringing up Dax Aquillini. He's involved in the process, but he's not taking over the Canucks yet. He's a young guy, he's a sharp dude. He runs the Vancouver Warriors. He already to cook a hot dog. Well, the hot dog guy's not involved with Dax. Dax is a good, young, smart guy. He hired the right guy with the Warriors, your buddy Kurt Malowski, great hire, that was Dax. So he's involved and everything. Spends a lot of time on the Canucks, a lot on the business related. But for people to say the Dax is going to take over the Canucks today or tomorrow, it's not accurate.
Speaker 3: It's with the science point down the road.
Speaker 4: He's a young guys, sharp dude. He's done some really good work with the Warriors. But for those people out there hinting that Dax Akaline's going to take over the Canucks today or tomorrow, that that that's not ho How.
Speaker 3: Many people have they got interviewing the GM.
Speaker 4: You've got Rutherford, your buddy, the hot dog guy, Michael Aquilini, Aquilini's brother. I'm presuming in Dax, and so that's four or five guys right there and where are we.
Speaker 3: When it comes to because this has kind of got swept under the rug. Is one person going to be the president? And GM that that's hard to figure out? So you hire a GM and then are you hiring a president somewhere down the road who didn't hire the GM, which looks like it's the old situation with Rutherford and and Bruce.
Speaker 4: Paltrow, Like if your Francesco, would you hire another president knowing you got to pay Jim Rutherford to be president sitting and North.
Speaker 3: Paid lots of money.
Speaker 4: Don you run a business not to pay people not to work for you.
Speaker 3: Here's what's coming up on the show, DTMZ is it just me? In the eleven o'clock hour? Far hand Lolgy is going to join us just after eleven o'clock to talk about the well, talk about the Canucks, talk to Ernie McLain, Punch McClain, and obviously to talk about the BC Lions training camp opening this week, Big up in Camloops, Big ride the Twitter guy later this hour and up next John Shannon from the Wait why are you laughing?
Speaker 4: He's a good guy? I like, John, are you kidding me?
Speaker 3: From the one hundred while we're on t Hockey podcast and one percent Cannucks. John's Next, Doney Dolly the Team want check.
Speaker 6: Donnie and Dolly.
Speaker 7: The Team is supported by Ableauctions dot Ca. Closing your Business we can help.
Speaker 3: Able Auctions specializes in helping British Columbia based business owners close their business.
Speaker 4: And sell their assets in a timely, orderly manner. Online events for everything from machine shop and manufacturing auctions to industrial equipment, retail inventories or any other type of business assets. Able Auctions can help for a.
Speaker 3: Free confidential consultation on getting your business assets sold. Please email sales at able auctions dot ca. Do's sales at ab l e auctions dot ca. It is Thursday, and all of our guests today brought to you by the Vancouver Canadian celebrating anniversary seventy five the Blue Jays farm team. One of them begin a road trip in Eugene tonight. They return to the NAT next Tuesday to take on Everett and reminder, it is seventy five cent hot dog night. Rick Oh, I wonder who's gonna be cooking those hot dogs seventy five? We know moj is going to be in that tourbe we No, I'm thinking maybe somebody from the Canucks front office.
Speaker 4: Oh, the hot dog guy, the hot dog guy.
Speaker 3: Yeah, maybe emotion For tickets and info, visit mi LB dot com slash Vancouver. Have we got John? John Shannon joins us now from the one hundred Percent Hockey podcast on Cannucks. John, Thanks for doing this, sir. How are you?
Speaker 8: I'm great, boys, how are you? I cannot believe the people in Toronto didn't appreciate your humor.
Speaker 3: Yeah, okay, so you're you're a b s here. Do you understand why? Uh, Vancouver fans are so crushed that the Canucks drop from one to three, but even more so because the Leafs won the lottery.
Speaker 8: Your tweet the other night made me laugh out loud. It really did, because I can appreciate both sides of that story.
Speaker 3: You know, you know, we.
Speaker 8: Always used to laugh when we lived in BC. You know what Donald Trump said, build that wall, Well, we had the Rocky Mountains.
Speaker 4: It solved a lot of problems.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, hey, you know what, Before we go any further, John, I hate to hate you with this. It's it's out of the blue, but you've been in broadcasting for a long, long time. Okay. Ted Turner passed away yesterday at the age of eighty seven. Been fighting Louis body dementia, which is a beast. But CNN, TNT, the Atlanta Braves, the America's Cup. Just your thoughts on the passing of Ted Turner, no matter what you think of him, a legend when it comes to broadcasting.
Speaker 8: And particularly sports broadcasting for us, Donnie, I mean WTBS, you know, the original superstation that had the Braves games.
Speaker 1: And you know, when.
Speaker 8: Cable TV was a little rudimentary, even where I grew up, you could watch WTBS and watch the Braves and Oliver VC when Ted Turner owned the Braves.
Speaker 2: And really.
Speaker 3: What he did with.
Speaker 8: CNN, I think, more than anything else, really changed the landscape of cable television and then changed the vision of what we think we can do in broadcasting. I mean, CNN isn't just an American entity, It's it's a worldwide entity. How many times did we watch CNN, whether it be a Gulf war or events going on in Europe or in Asia. And he was a visionary, There was no question that he was a visionary of great magnitude in so many ways and didn't wasn't afraid to make mistakes, you know, wasn't afraid to try new things, tried. I mean, I don't know if you recalled it. He tried to buy CBS. And here he was this small, this small cable guy out of Atlanta tried to buy CBS at the time, which was the Tiffany Network. It was just it was magnificent and and we we will always we will always feel you know, the the the the genius of really two guys, Ted Turner and and and a guy named Charles Dolan. And Charles Dolan in the end was the cable vision guy out of New York that invented HBO and Ted Turner that invented you know, you're right, t N T, TBS, but in particular, UH CNN.
Speaker 3: Dropping all over the place here at John and I apologize, but great memories of of Ted Turner the Draft Lottery. Uh. I watched that show with my two sons and we were glued to the television. Now we're in Vancouver. Maybe that that colors my opinion, but I think it's good television, good.
Speaker 8: Entertain I think they've made it great television, I really do. And I think there's multiple reasons for that, you know, And I'm not going to take any credit or whatever, but I think the credit really should go to two people, Steve Dryden and Mark Milliere, who came to me as a VP of broadcasting and I think two thousand and six or seven and said we'd like to televise the draft lottery, and I thought they were nuts. Now when we did it for the first you know, I was there for the first five years, but after that it was still very secretive. And Steve Mayer at the League office deserves a ton of credit for saying we should make the ping pong ball, we should be transparent, we should show the whole thing. And then the league has done a magnificent job of explaining how the balls work. And I mean how many when you looked up on the board and said, gosh, if the Canucks get eight and eleven, we've got a chance to be number one, and please not number twelve. We don't want the leaves to win with number twelve, and twelve came up. So not only did you see the process, but you understood the process. They did a really good job of doing that. And that little video that they had with Matthew Schaeffer and Matt Martin's kids.
Speaker 4: That was brilliant.
Speaker 8: So you know, and and that and that is, in my opinion, the genius of Steve Mayer and what he has done with the National Hockey League, and a ton a ton of credit should go Steve's way for the growth of the NHL as an entertainment factor in the last four or five years.
Speaker 4: Well, they got to do stuff to get more eyeballs in the US. John for that television contract.
Speaker 8: Okay, by the way, that we need more eyeballs in Canada too. Yep, yeah, we need more eyeballs. I've told this story many times. You know, we would sit and look at the ratings on a Monday morning and you know, at the time there was thirty seven million Canadians in the country and and we would be thrilled with two million. And my boss would come in and say, what are the other thirty five million doing?
Speaker 4: The John, They're on their cell phones. They're on their cell phones. That's where the other eyeballs are all day long.
Speaker 8: Well, we gotta we gotta get Donnie and Dolly on you know, we get the you know, get you on TikTok and get you on the shops and all that stuff you got.
Speaker 4: Hey, stop react talks.
Speaker 8: That's the reality of the world we live in. I'm not allowed to be I'm not allowed to be on TikTok.
Speaker 4: We got enough. We got enough headaches with Twitter and our text line. People ripping us twenty four to seven. Screw TikTok.
Speaker 8: Anyways, hold on, just Rick, Just for the record, my pal Grapes used to tell me when I complained about things. He would say, John, it's lonely at the top. Well, Rick, it's lonely at the top.
Speaker 4: You know, you know, you got your You're right at the top.
Speaker 8: You're you're you're the number one guy. You know, it's lonely up there.
Speaker 4: You know what's lonely is the Canucks vacant GM job. How about that for they're down to the nitty gritty.
Speaker 3: You're so proud of yourself.
Speaker 4: That's a good segue. That's that's thirty seven years in the biz, John, Right there, they're down to the nitty gritty, John, what do you see happening with the GM job.
Speaker 8: I think they're trying to find a way, and it's a little bit to the point you guys were talking about before. I think they're trying to find a way to see if there's anybody better than Ryan Johnson.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yep.
Speaker 8: And and you know it would not I don't have any inside knowledge, but it would not surprise me that we hear that that, you know, Ryan Johnson's still the best candidate. I think that's the due diligence. To take a page out of my pal Pelly's press conferences. I think that's the due diligence that the Canucks have done is saying, okay, listen, you know Ryan Johnson was signed to this contract to protect us for the future. You know there was a thought and you were pushing it a lot, Rick that you know that when Jim decides to move on, Ryan Johnson is going to be the next general manager.
Speaker 3: Yep.
Speaker 8: So so now that's fine, but now let's make sure we are making the right decision, because I do think what has happened because the team was so bad that it's accelerated that plan. And is Ryan Johnson ready now or would Ryan Johnson be ready two years from now?
Speaker 4: Is really the.
Speaker 8: Story and that I think that's the due diligence. Truthfully, that you know that Michael Doyle and Francesco and and Jim are doing okay.
Speaker 4: Jim Rutherford says, that's it. I'm out of town advisor, going to North Carolina up, gonna collect his final checks in North Carolina.
Speaker 8: He's got to get that practice facility done first though.
Speaker 4: Okay, but he can do it from North Carolina. There's something called emails and texts and the zoom.
Speaker 3: Apparently maybe the practice facility will be in North Carolina.
Speaker 4: Your thoughts on Jim saying, hey, I'm going to be an advisor, I'm out of.
Speaker 8: Here, Well, I don't think we should be surprised.
Speaker 3: I think he told us.
Speaker 1: He really did tell us.
Speaker 8: That at the end of season press conference.
Speaker 9: And so.
Speaker 8: What they're going through now is trying to find a way to use his expertise, use his institutional knowledge to put a guy in place, and then for Jim to be a safety net for the next year, not only for the new manager, but also for the company. And so the gym is there as a safety valve in so many ways. You know, I heard you guys, just as an aside, I heard you talking about Patrick Alvin. You know, we see this all the time where guys have year another year on their contract and so if you're going to spend you know, seven figures on a guy, you might as well try to use them. You might as well try. You might as well try to say, hey, listen, would you mind scouting for us? Would you mind doing something for us? And that'll be up to Patrick to decide. You know, Yarmo Keck a lion and after he got dismissed in Columbus worked for the Blue Jackets.
Speaker 3: For a year.
Speaker 8: That's true, you know, So it's it's not it's not unheard of that those types of things occur. And if I'm if I'm the owner and I'm I'm shelling out money, I'd rather shell out money for somebody who actually can still help us in certain situations as opposed to just you know, writing checks to Sweden.
Speaker 3: Somebody that you know, just before we lets you go John on the ice. Anaheim Ducks, people forget. They're not only disposed of the owners, they disposed of them in six games last night, three to one. They seem like, I'm not going to sit here pretend they watched every Anaheim game. But just a strong four line team, good on d, decent goaltending. We know Joel Quinville is a great coach, How oppressed are you with that team?
Speaker 8: I've been impressed all season long. But you said something, Donnie that they weren't during the season, and that was good on d They were a firewagon team, and you know, if you got into a if you got into a pond hockey game with them, they were gonna beat you. But they could give up as many goals as they could score at a point. What's really changed in the playoffs is they're playing much better defensively. And I do give Joel credit, Jay Woodcroft credit, yeah, and the whole coaching staff for doing what they have to do defensively, because that was their achilles heel all season long. They were gonna beat you if it was seven to five. They were not going to beat you two to one. So that's the big difference. And that's where I think, and I think we saw this in the final game against the Oilers too. That's where Joel Quinville's experience comes in of how to coach in those scenarios. And you know, winning at all cost not worrying if the game's entertaining, but winning at all costs is really the key thing. And and and the Ducks have bought in look look at how much check your notes. How much did Mason mctavis play in this series? How much is be Seneca played? Yeah, and so it's like Beckett Seneca for all his greatness, and he's going to be a Calder Trophy finalist. You know, played eleven or twelve minutes last night.
Speaker 6: Still scored.
Speaker 8: But they are going to do it in a team situation all through these playoffs. And that's you know, that's exactly what Joel Quinnville would deliver for a for a team like that.
Speaker 3: All right, John, if you're out and about in Toronto today, but just can you go up to people and apologize to the.
Speaker 8: Oh, I have I am wearing my I am wearing my D and D hat yea, I am going out there and I'm gonna say, you Eastern bastards.
Speaker 1: Come, Okay, that's better.
Speaker 3: That's better.
Speaker 1: Next week.
Speaker 3: Thanks, John, appreciate it. Okay. Ducks and Vegas tied it one very impressive road victory for the Ducks yesterday, But that might be the worst uniform matchup in National Honorkey League history. Hete gold and so much orange, my god, but it was. It was pretty entertaining, if for no other reason, then was the greatest game of the world. No, but just how impressive the Ducks were. They were really solid. They were definitely the best team on the ice after losing Game one. Okay, a break, and then we'll introduce the Waddling Dog. A pole question has to do with the conduction in their draft position. That's next, Donnie Delly, the team in check.
Speaker 4: Looking for one of Victoria's most iconic stays. The award winning Dog has been welcoming guests and their dogs for over thirty years. Ten minutes from the airport in the Ferry. Their room glen vented charm with modern comfort, making it the perfect home base for your island adventures. Your trip isn't complete without a stop at the legendary Waddling Dog. Pop twenty taps, wall to wall, TVs every Canucks game and UFC pay per view, plus an extensive daily happy hour, and before you go, stock up at their cold beer wine store, hundreds of local and imported options, plus exclusive Donnie and Dolly merchandise. The Dog isn't just a hotel, It's a destination. Come, sit and stay.
Speaker 3: Dog is in Waddling Whole Question experience, one of Victroy's iconic destinations, the Waddling Dog, sleep, Zip stock cup fall in one legendary spot. Come sit and stay at the dog today. Big hello to Brandon.
Speaker 4: Yeah, big time Brandon, great guy, Ryan, get her up the waddling Dog. Pop pole question and it is, assuming that McKenna and Stamberg go one and two in the NHL draft, who should the Canucks take a number three? Well, Caleb Boholtro that's Manny's kid leading the way of fifty five percent, Chase read a defenseman out of the Ohl Sue Saint Marie next at twenty seven percent. Then comes Keaton Verhoff played with Victoria last year. And then Carson Carrel's big, huge defenseman. We had him on the show last week. Just a great kid from Manitoba who played in Prince George last year.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think he's busy dealing with calfs on the farm right now.
Speaker 1: Well, he's a.
Speaker 4: Farmer, and I'm telling you the kids that grow up on a farm, and.
Speaker 3: Of course they get it. They ghetto the number one reason why you draft somebody. Are they or are they not? A good interview and both Carson Carl's and Keaton veroffer excellent We haven't had Chase reading the show.
Speaker 4: Not a shocker Canadian kids, great interviews, Uh, Caleb, long time ago. There we have on as well. Chase reed, we haven't had on, but we're going to effort.
Speaker 3: And you think it's a good idea that they draft another really talented American defenseman because he'll stay here.
Speaker 4: For a long stop.
Speaker 3: It don.
Speaker 4: Get some Canadian kids on this Canucks roster. It's disgusting. They got two players from Canada on it. It's just ridiculous.
Speaker 3: So if iver Stenburg falls the three, don't take them just based on his nationally.
Speaker 4: I never said that. I never said that. I've never said that.
Speaker 3: Brett Peterson, you wanted to talk about getting back to the Canucks GM search, We're going to talk about the white Caps, I believe in the open segment around eleven ten, eleven to fifteen or so.
Speaker 4: Yeah, there were reports that the Canucks were seriously considering Brett Peterson of the Panthers checked in last night. He has not had a second interview yet. Brett Peterson of the Florida Panthers, who have been to the Stanley Cup Finals the previous three years. So Brett Peterson, as if yesterday had not a second interview with the Canucks, but there were reports that he was a serious contender for the Vancouver job.
Speaker 3: Nils Hoglander has withdrawn participation in the World Championships for Sweden. And we know we had an injury troubled season again for the CANUCKSUS is the same sort of thing.
Speaker 4: Yeah, absolutely, he got injured in one of the what do they call it, the preliminary games don as so did Philiperonic. But Lager told me times the Heronics Okay, it's not as serious. The MRI came back clear, So I think Coronic's gonna be fine. The energy, what do you want me to do, guy, what do you want me to dance on the tables? Heronic's gonna be fine.
Speaker 3: Also, the Americans have released their preliminary roster for the World Hockey Championships, and there's a notable omission or somebody's missing here that we thought would be on here. You blow that up a bit, Ryan, I mean, I can't have a magnifying glass.
Speaker 4: Even with my glasses, I couldn't see that.
Speaker 3: Okay, cannock wise, we see Max Sassin's name there, Max Sissan's name the pick by that, But who isn't there.
Speaker 4: Brockbsters thought he was going, he was going, he was, He's got married exatulations. Brockbessser's agent retweeted my tweet that said that Brock was going, So we'll try and figure it out why Brock ended up not going. Sometimes these guys have insurance issues. Oh yes, you got to insure the contract. What did Brock just do twelve months ago signed a massive contract, signed a massive contract. So sometimes we will get to it. But Brockbesss we definitely had okayed and now he's not on there. We're going to try and figure out what happened between then and here. But his agent had retweeted my tweet that said Brock was going, so it was good information. But we're going to try and find out why Brock's not going.
Speaker 3: Now. Again, this is a preliminary roster. Former conduct Sam Laffert is on there, Matthew Kachuck is on here as well, justin Falk on defense. So this is the roster that there's there working wrong roster right now, and I guess it's subject to change. So maybe Brockbesster does end up going. He wanted to go to he.
Speaker 4: Did, he did, he did did. It was all set to go. He was gonna go. Yeah. You make a good point. Uh, there's still teams that are gonna fall out, don or the NHL playoffs. You can still pluck guys off of that.
Speaker 3: There's that too, Okay. Sticking with the National Hockey League, Norris Trophy finalists have been announced. No surprise here, Quinn Hughes didn't make the cut. Zach Rowensky, Cale mccarr, Rasmus d Leen. I think Elliott's in this group, but we've seen several people who do have votes say that Dalen's their pick. He was good, good last night. Yeah, boy, I thought he blocked that shot. He got hurt last night. I thought for sure that you know, it was one of those things where you turn your leg upper. He was up people the inside of the knee I think, also known as the upper thigh.
Speaker 4: Don you don't know it's knee.
Speaker 3: They didn't look well, looked like it.
Speaker 4: Looked like upper thigh, upper a little higher in that.
Speaker 1: I thought it.
Speaker 4: Well, he could have been worse, right, it could have Sammy Shallow. When you think about how much thought of Sammy Shallow, how much why Sammy Sellow check the Jewels. Uh. Remember the puck he got hit? Remember he lost a yeah for a first testicle. And so that's what I first saw you like three years old. It's a it's a legit injury. He lost a testable.
Speaker 3: Remember he pulled his buttocks muscle at one point as well.
Speaker 4: Who Sammy?
Speaker 3: No you? Yes, Sammy. There was a long list, strange.
Speaker 4: I never heard of butts? Can you pull a buttocks muscle?
Speaker 3: We'll we'll look into that and get back to you. Glutias Maximus thought he did.
Speaker 4: No, I've never heard of butt muscle. You never heard this, Derek, Google it right, google it butt muscle? No, no, no, just Sammy Sallow but.
Speaker 3: Texts okay, okay, all right, we've got business. Yeah right. Instead of laughing over there and making fun of us, out Sammy Sallow, I'm gluteus Maximus. Okay, all right.
Speaker 4: Here, right here, Sammy Sallow uh tore his gluteous media's matt muscle a buttocks muscle. He took a powerful slapshot during the Connect playoff. Yeah, you're right right here. A gluteous medius muscle, a buttoks muscle. He pulled it.
Speaker 3: And that's why you watch this show. You want updates on bomb injuries. You know where the place to come.
Speaker 4: Gluty, it's one of your biggest muscles in your body.
Speaker 1: I think you just pulled one right now.
Speaker 4: I do a lot of research on this. I know that, not on the butt muscle, but on just the human body in general.
Speaker 3: You do a lot of rea.
Speaker 4: I do a lot of research on longevity, all that good stuff. You gotta eat right, you gotta drink right. You got it. If you don't, you're gonna pull a much.
Speaker 3: So you made fun of me, and I remembered that. But also did he You know, I know that you say it. I remember for him. I think with the testicle as well.
Speaker 4: Yeah, no, he lost a testicle. I know that for sure. Well I no, but we know he did. He got hit there.
Speaker 3: Oh, can't look it up. Maybe I want to make sure.
Speaker 4: Hold on a sex Sammy Sello losing.
Speaker 3: Okay, well you do that. I'll do the able auctions read okay, our title sponsor. My apologies to Jeremy Dudd.
Speaker 4: He ruptured. He didn't lose it. He ruptured a teestical. Okay, well he didn't lose it. He ruptured it.
Speaker 3: So okay, this all started with Rasmus Day getting becoming a finalist for the Norris Trophy. May twelfth. It's funny, you know you bring up Sammy Salo is one of the great defenseman. Yes, he was a great defenseman for the Caduks. Everybody talks about his shot.
Speaker 4: Wicked shot, Sammy Sallow May twelfth.
Speaker 3: Able Auctions will sell the contents of the Delta Metal Fabrication Shop. May fourteenth, Abel will sell the content so three restaurants in two grocery stores, including all inventory. For information on these auctions and other auctions, go to Ableauctions dot CA. Able Auctions specializes in the sale of business assets and inventories. If you're considering closing your business and need everything sold, and I mean everything, email sales at able Auctions dot Ca. Sales at a b l E Auctions dot C A Farhand Top of the Hour Up Next Big Ride Donny Delight the team on check.
Speaker 1: Looking for the ultimate Vancouver Island getaway.
Speaker 3: Head to Beautiful Parks Bill and experience the Bayside Oceanfront resort where every stay feels like a vacation you'll never forget. From sunrise walks on the beach to sunsets on the patio.
Speaker 1: Bayside puts you steps.
Speaker 3: From the sand with ocean views in every direction. Splash in the indoor and outdoor pools, hit the fitness center, then relax with a hand crafted cocktail at the Oceanfront restaurant and lounge. Whether it's date night, a family trip, or a corporate event, Bayside is your perfect year round escape. Book your getaway now at two five zero, two four eight eight couple three.
Speaker 4: Your island adventure starts here.
Speaker 3: Just I had a big rye the Twitter guy. Most of the submissions we get in the Bayside Oceanfront Resort and Parksville the inbox are positive when it comes to Ryan Johnson, not this one. Unsigned. If Ryan Johnson, as an assistant GM for several years, is even remotely responsible for the Canucks addressing a weak and easy team to play against for fourteen to the last fifteen years, then show him the door. Well, I you know, look, Ryan Johnson has not been the general manager at the NHL level. He comes across very well. Won a championship with the Abbots for Canucks for what that's worth. And he's developed, he's helped develop players and Abbits for that's what that's what a GM of a farm team is supposed to do. Having said that, he was also a Canucks assistant GM Vancouver connects assisted gym at the same time. But interesting what John Shannon had to say. He fills this process has more to do with finding if somebody is more impressive than Ryan Johnson than just finding somebody period.
Speaker 4: Yep. I agree with that too. If you're gonna bypass Ryan for another assistant GM, he's gone. But they gotta find They got to find out if there is anybody out there better than him. I don't think there is on that list, but that they're making the call, not us, big Ry.
Speaker 1: You clearly didn't watch Ryan Johnson play hockey if you think he would be part.
Speaker 3: Of Ryan Johnson is the first forward. I remember that he went out of his way to block shots, whatever it took. He watched games at Rodgers Arena and he would be hurting because he's blocking so many shots, whatever it took to stay in the national hockey He can relate to so many of the of the players at the NHL level, and I mean very few people in management can relate to the superstars to the stars. But Ryan Johnson is a guy who can relate to most everybody else.
Speaker 1: Yep okay out of Dallas today, Jim Nill had his season ending press conference right uh, and the players already spoke the other day they did their locker cleanout. One of the players was Miko Ranton, and he didn't want to discuss his injury. He just said, nope, not talking about anything. I'm good. But Jim Nill revealed his injury along with a lot of others today. So Miko Ranton and played with a torn MCL. He tore his NCL at the Olympics. I believe he was activated off injury reserve in late March coming back. It's clearly not healthy. Rufe Behan's torn hamstring. You got broken fingers in here, foot laceration, foot laceration, cut, another broken foot for Thomas Harley, Miko Heist, Heisin Tono bleak. What's with the little bleak injuries? That seems to be like a new league in the last ten years.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we've heard a lot of it lately.
Speaker 1: Remember Hughes had the oblique injury here, that's right, Quinnen high ankle sprain in the concussion in a face elasceration as well, no muscle, no.
Speaker 4: No, no, no, no other parts of the body.
Speaker 1: This is why he also didn't mention Tyler sagain, who is about pretty much all year with an injury as well.
Speaker 4: Okay, so this is why hockey players are the toughest athletes in the world. You would never see an NBA team get out of the playoffs and see a laundry list like this. Hockey, the Stanley Cup is the toughest trophy to win. This tells you right there. Nakita zador Off announced last week that he played the first round after Game four. I think yeah in Game four, Yeah, with a torn MCL. Off the bone, he said, off the bone. There is not a basketball player alive that would play with a torn MCL like the way Nikida is a door off did. Hockey players are the toughest athletes. There is nobody that comes close to them. And the Boston Bruins injury list was just as long as the Dallas Stars. Can you imagine playing with a torn m c L.
Speaker 3: No, the NBA playoffs have been okay, they've been pretty good.
Speaker 4: But these guys take dead.
Speaker 3: You know what, you know what makes it for a lot of people, You know what makes it Okay, well, the because the Knicks are and sure you know they pulled off an upset and they're no, they didn't Philadelphia beat Boston, but having you know New York's team there makes it.
Speaker 1: Of course, there's been a lot of look at last night.
Speaker 4: The Spurs is a good basketball town too, that's a good matchup.
Speaker 3: You know, well, Philadelphia le's look at sports wise, Doctor City pretty good the last few years with the Flyers. Notice Sixers not doing well in the playoffs. You talk about toughness Steve Kerr once they're shortened the NBA schedule.
Speaker 1: But in part because she says, it's the injuries. It's caused causing problems to the product.
Speaker 3: Right, But speaking to what Rick says, so you want to, you know, forty eight minute games and you know, got NHL guys playing and football guys playing with all sorts of injuries, and you're worried about that. It just I don't know if.
Speaker 4: You're aware of that basketball is nowhere near the physicality hockey. And these guys take off what do they call luxury days or whatever, the regular load load they tux three days, not a bad, bad name, luxury days. But listen, mar they take off all these days off in the regular seas.
Speaker 1: The NBA has got a massive problem, massive problem with inconsistency with their players just due to injury and due to rest. So if curR has got that idea, I think the NBA should be listening to any and every idea.
Speaker 3: Scotty Bowman used to do load load management before load management was load management, but he would do red Wings when they were older, right.
Speaker 1: But wasn't that at the end of the years because they had clinched everything.
Speaker 3: I just I hate the whole idea of load management because even if a guy just plays a minute, or you know, there's people who are going to games so maybe the only time that year and they don't get to see the stars. I hate that. I hate it. Yeah, gotta you gotta think of your customers.
Speaker 1: Especially when if it's potentially a game that's like one one trip, like the Lakers going to Detroit for instance, one time. Yes, you know, and Lebron can't do it or whatever. Lebron a kind of excuse at this point because he's.
Speaker 4: So much respect for hockey players. When you see that and you see the Boston Bruins injured list after the playoffs, these guys are tough, they want to win. They played injured. Christanna if I if I told you guys horror stories about how that guy played injured and he was misdiagnosed year after years. Sammy Sallow played with what we talked about. But the hockey players are a different breed.
Speaker 3: I think it's such a part of the culture to everybody.
Speaker 4: They're tough, they're tough guys.
Speaker 1: And uh, you guys are going to rip me for being like a millennial and all the time. Tannam, I think he is arguably the toughest Canuck that's ever played here.
Speaker 4: Christannev, do you remember when the injuries that dude played through, played with seemingly injured.
Speaker 1: That's a misdiagnosed different kind of to you're right like, because I mean, I understand Geno Ojake is probably the toughest guy that's ever played for.
Speaker 4: The mentally tough and you nailed it. You're right on board there. Chris Tannev was one of the He was a warrior.
Speaker 3: The basketball's changed to by the way I grew up hearing the story, I don't remember Willis Reid and that that was a broken leg and led the knicks to the legendary titles, an NBA title It's changed.
Speaker 4: And Tanne when he got hurt in Calgary and the playoffs remember this and they announced three or four five things wrong with you and he played through it. Yeah, he could barely stand in watching up to him now, yeah, oh for sure, Bingle not surprising.
Speaker 1: Okay, up next, this guy plays hurt. If he was dealing with something, he'd still be on the show. I guarantee it. I guarantee it. Farhand Logy from TSN he plays throw things all the time.
Speaker 4: He's had.
Speaker 1: Next, it's Donny Dolly the team I Check.
Speaker 3: Hey everyone, it's Donnie and Dolly and we're looking to partner with your company.
Speaker 4: We have several packages and price points to fit your budget and spread the word about your company on the show, in our podcast and on social media.
Speaker 1: We'd love to get involved with your company.
Speaker 3: Called two five oh eight, eight oh twenty two eighty two or email advertise at checkmedia dot CA. A Thursday and all today's guests, including Farhand Standing by I brought to you by the Vancouver Canadian celebrating there's seventy fifth anniversary season. The Seas begin a road trip in e Gene tonight. They returned to the NAT next Tuesday to take on Everett. A reminder, Rick, it's seventy five cent hot dog all night, seventy fifth anniversary seventy five cent hot dogs. You can figure that one out right. Tickets and info visit m i LB dot com slash Vancouver as we bring in from TSN Farhand Lolgy, how are you, sir?
Speaker 6: Good Rick? There's a two hot dog limit for.
Speaker 4: Easy their pal easy got you got them? Hey?
Speaker 10: Heay for your tickets, to pay for your tickets, to get more than to hot dogs.
Speaker 6: We know more crown that comes there's no crown that comes up.
Speaker 4: We know, mo just going tonight. We know it's been confirmed.
Speaker 3: Just looking good these days.
Speaker 1: Okay, what happens?
Speaker 6: So it happens when you got to get your knee replace? Yes, yeah, all all the physio fixes everything else.
Speaker 3: What can you tell us about this event? You're at Wednesday at Queen's Park Arena as there's a movement out there to get a statue erected of far Hand lalls you. What can you tell us about that?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 10: Definitely not me. Rick is higher up on the New st statue list than I am but already Punch McLean, right, I mean, legendary figure from the seventies with the Newestminster Bruins in New Westminster, you know, told some great stories about how the whole thing.
Speaker 6: Came to be.
Speaker 10: You know that the team was in Estevan in Saskatchewan, which is which is Punch's birthplace, and so you know it had to be difficult for him to take the team out of Estevan and move them to New Westminster. And at the time, the Western Hockey League didn't want you know a lot of stuff going on this far west, and just the legendary stories of what those teams were like, and you know, Billy Rant came up and talked and Marko Lofthouse who played for those championship teams in the seventies, and it was it was a really cool, you know, nostalgic event, especially to have it at Queen's Park Arena, right, which is really withstood the test of time.
Speaker 6: I mean, it is the definition of an old barn.
Speaker 10: But it's still so cool when you walk in there and you see the place packed like it was for the Man Cup last year. So you know, already's a guy that we've all gotten.
Speaker 6: A chance to know for for the last couple of decades. You know, I'll.
Speaker 10: Remember when when he went missing, right and I was at a Canuck game, and you know, I turned around and said to somebody, where's Punch? And I heard the story, but I couldn't find him. You know, So just a life well lived. He continues to live and in ninety three, he's not getting any younger. We want to get this thing going and getting it up and done so that he can enjoy it.
Speaker 6: And I just hosted it.
Speaker 10: I'm not part of the you know, the the Legacy Foundation, and you know, my wife was involved with QS four in terms of getting some stuff there and helping out with the event and everything. But you know, there's a foundation and place you're doing really really great work.
Speaker 6: So thanks to them for I guess to be a part of the event.
Speaker 3: I love the way you slipped in Key West for it.
Speaker 6: Experience added to it, You've added to it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well yeah, now you just t up for that.
Speaker 1: Hey, farhand your reaction.
Speaker 3: I know it's been a couple of days, but to your reaction to the Canucks dropping from one to three at the NHL Draft lottery and the Leaf's winning the lottery.
Speaker 10: Yeah, the Leaf's part is more annoying because, look, in fairness, I think a lot of people expected the Canucks to finish third because that's what the oddums suggested. I mean, it was almost a fifty six percent chance that that's where they were going to go.
Speaker 6: And it's still a really high pick. It's not Gavin McKenna, but they you.
Speaker 10: Know, like I don't know that mckenno or Stenberg are generational players, right like the not Macklin Celebrini, at least we don't believe them to be at this point. So they can still get a player that is kind of right within that range. So that parts it's unfortunately, you would have liked to have had them draft first and just to have all the you know, the tanking and all of it.
Speaker 6: People understand that, yeah, okay, this is why we did it. But the Leaf part is really really annoying.
Speaker 10: And this team has missed the playoffs in ten years twice and both times they've won the lottery. Yes, right, Like that's insane And I'm not a conspiracy theorist. I don't think it was rigged, but it was still wrong, right, I mean, you know, think of how many years in a row the Oilers won it, and how bad they were systematically to the point where the league changed the rules so you know things, it wasn't as easy to get number one, so the Canucks couldn't benefit by the Oiler incompetence, and now the Leaves, you know, with the fifth best odds wind up winning it. If I'm a Canuck fan, yeah, I'd be doubly annoyed that the Leafs won. I'd be more pissed off that the Leafs wanted than that Vancouver.
Speaker 4: Dis If I'm a Canucks fan, I want to know who's the new GM. And it looks like we're down to the nitty gritty here, finalists five, maybe next week. They're taking their time. I do like that. What's the latest you're hearing on the Canuck GM search?
Speaker 10: Yeah, you know, like similar to what you are and the names that are there, you know, names like Kevin Gold and you know, and see where Pier Dorian fits And how crazy was that that in the morning, all the news suggest that this is happening.
Speaker 6: That he's going to be the guy, and conduct.
Speaker 10: Nation absolutely revolts to the point whereby you know the end of the day, Gary Mason's walking it back and saying within somewhere between mill and close to none or something like that in terms of his candidacy, right, Like, you're a conduct fan, you're empowered. Hey, we made this happen, and then then you lose the draft lottery, right, So, but yeah, I'm with you, Rick, like I'm glad that they're still doing their due diligence. I'm glad that Ryan Johnson is still a legitimate part of this process because to me, if you're you know, for both of these things, for gms and for presidents, there aren't a lot of experienced people, and Pierre Dorian has experienced, but it's bad experience, right, he wasn't good at the job, you know, and most of the guys whose names you've heard of are kind of in that category if they have that kind of experience.
Speaker 6: And when you look at president of.
Speaker 10: Hockey Operations, there aren't many of those either, Right, So if you're going to hire a first time guy, I got no problem with it being Ryan Johnson, And it would seem at this point like it's going to be a guy that hasn't carried the title before.
Speaker 6: So so we'll see where they land.
Speaker 10: But I do appreciate as well that they're taking a deliberate approach to this, because we've seen in the past they've had the next guy named before they fired the last guy right, and that's not good process.
Speaker 4: Oh, they got to get it right. Okay, Listen that BC Lions training camp up in Kamloops. This is the year they get over the hump. I'm telling you, I'm calling the Lions.
Speaker 1: Don't don't laugh.
Speaker 4: Don't laugh. They've been in the Western Final three the last four years. This is the year they get over the hump. And I think they win it all. I I really do. And are you gonna ask him? Not because he's not a lie. He loves winnip He loves Winnipeck because all his sources are in Winnipeg. But anyways, I'm telling you right now, Lions all the way.
Speaker 6: Entirely possible.
Speaker 10: You know, when I look around, especially in the West, you know, I I do see just a wide open division and teams kind of coming together. Right Saskatchewan has lost more than they've gained. I still think they're gonna be a good team with Trevor Harris, but again, they you know, they've lost a few more pieces.
Speaker 6: They haven't necessarily added much.
Speaker 10: Winnipeg's made some additions and they've certainly got the ability to bounce back a little bit with you know, the offensive coordinator and Kolaro's being really in sync.
Speaker 6: But you know, they've lost key pieces as well.
Speaker 10: BC has probably netted out a bit, you know, they've netted.
Speaker 6: Out neutral they you know, they've.
Speaker 10: Lost two important pieces, includes Jurel Broxton at left tackle. But you know, overall it's been it's been fairly you know, steady for them. Right, So Nathan Rourke another year under Buck Pierce's offense, Buck Pierce's second year as the head.
Speaker 6: Coach, you know, and defensively as well.
Speaker 10: Right, there's some question marks I have in the secondary if they can get those answered, which based on the resumes of the players that are trying to compete for those jobs, even if they don't have great CFL experience.
Speaker 6: At this point, I think by the midway point of the season, I think they're going to be pretty good.
Speaker 10: Right, So I think the Lions are have as good a shot as anybody to win it, right, I mean, Edmondson will be a little better, Calgary a little better, But I think BC's going to be right there, and I'm looking forward to seeing Nathan Ork back in action when the season opens, and.
Speaker 3: Very quickly for him. We're going to talk about the white Caps in our next sec what's your take on the latest piece of news BC government saying that a party has approached them with interest in buying the white Caps, are perhaps keeping them in Vancouver.
Speaker 6: Well, I look, I hope what happens. I think the fans have done their part.
Speaker 10: I think the organization on field and you know, on the football or on the soccer operations side, right with actual schuster, they've certainly done their job. And now you know, but it's not an easy purchase, right because this team doesn't make money, Like sixteen of twenty nine MLS teams, they don't make money.
Speaker 6: So MLS can turn around.
Speaker 10: I want to blame the province in BC place, but they got problems in a lot of different places, so it becomes a difficult purchase. And if you're going to buy it, you know it's going to be a passion project, right, and let's see if they can do it.
Speaker 6: But look, I hope they're right. I hope that it's a serious that it's a serious bid, a serious group, because it.
Speaker 10: Would be a it would be a massive loss for the market, a tremendous asset that we just don't want to see leave. It's not just MLS, it's it's fifty years of experience, right, fifty years of history in this city.
Speaker 6: So I hope they find a way to keep it.
Speaker 10: But just you know, when you hear the Don Garber's and the narrative that's trying to be spun, I think it's wrong.
Speaker 6: This is not a Vancouver problem.
Speaker 10: This is an MLS problem, and you can't just continue to band aid things by, you know, finding your only revenue.
Speaker 6: And you know, when you ask the question, it's.
Speaker 10: Not as simple as Greg Kerfoot and Jeff Mallett wanting to sell this to whichever this big group is.
Speaker 7: Right.
Speaker 10: The way the process works in MLS is it's still the league's decision. So the league gets to broker the deal, and then the current owners will make a certain portion of it, and then the rest of it it's going to go back to the league. Right, It's going to be a bu especially if you want to move it, there'll be a relocation fee attached because this is where the real league revenue is.
Speaker 6: They don't make money elsewhere. They make money on expense.
Speaker 10: And potentially in this case, relocation. So that's the problem with MLS and that's also.
Speaker 6: Going to navigate the sale if it happens.
Speaker 3: I just want to see all parties involved quit sniping at each other publicly and maybe that'll help get things done. Just a matter of time before as a foreign anology statue outside of Queens Park Arena, hopefully besides Mercer Stadium. Well, okay, we'll take that too, get it done.
Speaker 1: Thanks for a hand, see boys, you bet?
Speaker 3: Okay, a break and we'll deal with the poll question, the latest in the waterling dog poll question and the white Caps. That's next, Donnie Delay the team.
Speaker 2: On Jack, Donnie and Dolly.
Speaker 7: The team is supported by able Auctions dot ca A Closing your Business we can help.
Speaker 3: Able Auctions specializes in helping British Columbia based business owners close their business and sell their assets in a timely, orderly manner online events for everything from machine shop and manufacturing auctions to industrial equipment, retail inventories or any other type of business assets.
Speaker 4: Able Auctions can help.
Speaker 3: For a free confidential consultation on getting your business assets sold, please email sales at able Auctions dot CA.
Speaker 1: That's sales at a b l E Auctions dot CA.
Speaker 3: Wattling Dog poll question experience one of Victoria's iconic destinations, sleep, sip and stock up all the dog all in one legendary spot. Come sit and stay at the watling dog today, Rick Ryan, get her up the waterling dog. Pop pole question.
Speaker 4: Assuming McKenna and Stamberg go one and two in the NHL draft, who should the Canucks take a number three? Look at this, no surprise, Manny's kid Caleb Maholt leading fifty four percent. Then comes the defenseman from Sussaint Marie, Chase Reed, followed by a couple of good BC boys, Canadian kids, Shooting veer Off and Carson Carrol's I'll tell you boy, these two, all three of these guys have been on our show. All three very impressive.
Speaker 3: Chase Reid has it?
Speaker 4: I said, three to the four guests, Okay, three to the four have been. Wait, we'll get Chase Reid on. I know his agent.
Speaker 3: We'll hold you to that, all right. Switching gears here the white Caps situation. Yeah, this team has been and has done so well on the pitch. Getting to the MLS Cup Final. What they're doing right now in MLS very impressive, near the top of the overall standings. An update yesterday from friend of the show, BC Jobs Minister Ravi Callen. Yeah, he says, we're gonna run this clip here and he says a local group has come forward with the interest in buying the white Caps and hopefully keeping the team in Vancouver.
Speaker 11: Well, we just had a group that's reached out to us, that has been organizing apparently for a few weeks to put a bit in for the white Caps. I don't have the details. I'll leave it to the big group to share those details. But you know it's we know there's interests. We're hearing it from fans, we're hearing it from business leaders within the community, and I think it's a positive development.
Speaker 4: Love it if true.
Speaker 3: So as for the white Caps, they and as you know, I have a source, the white Caps have not been approached the government reportedly, according to Ravi, has been approached. But last time I checked, the white Caps have not been approached by a local group. And obviously, when you talk about the sale of this team, they've gone public for the last year now they're for sale. They're open, open to meeting big time. Okay, of course they are, and you know when that happens obviously, and perhaps the government has done this, I'm not sure. Due diligence has to be done. You know, what are the finances involved, who are the people involved? Do they definitely want to keep the team in Vancouver. There's a lot of work still to be done. We didn't see it there, but Ravi, I guess you would say dodged a question and didn't answer the question when it came to that local group, that local ownership group, potential local ownership group keeping the team at BC Place. Now, the other thing I wanted to say is that it's been reported widely to the white Caps since their inception back in twenty eleven. Remember Empire Field and then moved into the newly renovated BC Place. Three hundred million dollars in losses playing in Major League Soccer. That's a big I've been told people have told me that that's low. Wow, it's much more than three hundred million dollars. And they've done everything to keep this team. But look, the government wanted the white Caps to get to Greg Kerford and company. Remember he owned them. Before they became an MLS franchise, wanted to have a Major League Soccer team at BC Place, in part to justify the high cost it was half a billion dollars there abouts of renovating BC plays, so you have the lines there as a as a principal tenant along with an MLS team. That was a big, big deal, a big deal for everybody, with the taxpayers of British Columbia. So in they went and the thought was that somewhere down the line they would get a stadium working with the government, working with all levels that all obstacles that come into play. And they've tried this on multiple occasions and it hasn't worked for the Vancouver white Caps, so there's there. They're still trying. Here's the thing, Greg Kirkfoot is still trying. Ownership of the white Caps is still trying, despite being turned down on several occasions at several locations, still trying to get a new stadium done. Whether it's whether it's on the Peenie Grounds, Hastings Race Course, the old Empires Aum site, whatever the case. They're unbelievably really they're still still trying despite all all the losses. So that's that's that's where we're at right now. There is this mysterious ownership group that has come forward to the BC government, not the white Caps at this point from what I know, and maybe they're they're the saviors, we don't know. They have to get involved, they have to talk to the white Caps. But in the meantime, they're they're trying their white Caps are trying to keep this team alive, trying to get by building a new stadium that's going to take a while. Obviously, there is that, you know, there's a there's a period here where things have to be better deal wise, at at at BC place. So and let me just say this for everybody who wants to talk about Greg Kurfut and you know, no they're trying to cash in this white Caps ownership group. I'm on their side because for a lot of reasons. You know, first of all, I care about Look, I know we talk so much hockey here, but you and I both care about local sports. We care about we certainly care about the white Caps everything. And I don't want to see the great city of Vancouver lose the white Caps twice, once the NASL team and now this. You don't want to see this. Greg Kurfet is bucked up in a big, big way, and he's not looking for anybody to feel sorry for him, all right. The ownership group is not looking for anybody to feel sorry for them, but they continue to try. And I know this that on top of keeping the white Caps alive, he has gone out of his way to subsidize Canadian soccer now at the national team level, both the men's team and the women's team. You want this to work out now, and maybe he continues to be the principal owner, or maybe they sell it, but he's put in his time with soccer and hopefully it continues. But he's put in his time with soccer in this city, in this province, and this in this tride.
Speaker 4: He's trying. He's still trying.
Speaker 3: You want it, You want it to work out.
Speaker 4: If you're telling me that his total losses are not three hundred million, but they're way higher, that's a scary number. Who out there wants to lose three four five hundred million dollars? Don no one. If you and I lose one hundred bucks in our wallet, we freak out. This guy's lost over three hundred million. You're saying maybe four, maybe five hundred million. I don't know what the I'm just saying. I'm just saying he's hanging around. If he does cash out and take a five hundred million dollar offer from Vegas, I'm starting to think. You know what, it's okay if you lost three, four, five hundred million dollars, that's your money, hard earned. You're losing. Who the hell sticks around for that?
Speaker 3: So what you draw the conclusion that it wouldn't be the case if a stadium deal was done before this? All right? Part of the problem is that the MLS has grown in a big, big way without getting it did too many details FC Miami with with Messi, their revenues are way more, way more despite a larger payroll, way more. And it's it's advantageous to run a professional franchise in the United States. You know, the government, you know rolls out the red red carpet for you. Various levels of government rolls out the red carpet for you. But their revenues it's hard to keep up with that. And it's not just Miami, it's Atlanta and other franchise and mL the league has grown, maybe some some might say too fast. With with what happened to the nas L. In mind, it's grown, salaries have gone up. Your stadium deal has to be rock solid, and that's not the case here. So but again they're hanging in there. They're hoping to get things done with the new stadium somewhere down the line. And this is positive news that a local ownership group is.
Speaker 1: I don't know who they are, and if you do, I don't know who they are.
Speaker 3: That's positive.
Speaker 4: It could be Joe Blow. I don't know who's behind this group, but I do know this. The revenues that they suck, the white Caps revenues. It's money and money out and well.
Speaker 3: They don't get They get very little from concessions that I know. BC Place has let them, you know, have the facility rent free, but there's obviously losses and career before that. Other team's deals are much much better.
Speaker 4: Donny, Donny, A lot of corporations left Vancouver decades ago and they went to Toronto. Why do you think them? Why do you think Toronto can afford the raptors. They've got the blue Jay population, they've got the Nahl population. But corporate money too, Corporate money, all the money in this countries in Toronto. Whether you want to believe it or not, there's a reason why they got Major League Baseball. Look at their payroll over two hundred million. Why can they afford it? Don because a.
Speaker 3: Corporate support is not here there in Toronto.
Speaker 4: And that's part of the p and they would love to have the NFL that Toronto would they could support an NFL team six million in the.
Speaker 3: Tron supported an NFL team Buffalo a.
Speaker 4: Six million in the Toronto area. And then all your.
Speaker 1: Core CUSA tron just stop.
Speaker 4: I'm telling you why Vancouver is struggling. There's no companies left here because the government here taxes you to death, and everybody's leaving for the province of BC. This government all they they taxed all the population, then they tax the businesses, then they tax millionaires to death. They're all leaving. They're all leaving British Columbia. You could thank this government for that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well you're not the only one who feels that way. Okay, again, let's stay positive here. There's this group that's interested in purchasing the Vancouver white Caps and let's let's hope it all works out. And keeping keep in mind when you talk about incurring losses. Uh. This year is not great for the white Caps, in large part because they've been booted out a BC places losses for World Cup and they don't play their next home game until August first. That's so that's a long way away. Okay, be good, Ryan, Okay business.
Speaker 4: Oh absolutely look at this BC's number one sports memorabilia gaming shop, Pastime Sports check Out, the largest selection of sports memorabilia, autographed items, trading cards, and collectible games in Western Canada. Also, twenty twenty six World Cup apparel and cards are now available. You can't visit them in store, you can shop their massive collection featuring cards from many era online of Pastime Sports Dots, Ryan laptop, front of.
Speaker 1: The laptop with the news. This week we got the Rolling Stones box of cards. Tam Musselani side puck in the middle Ducks win last night. There's the link. Get it card of the big captain of the Carolina Hurricanes in their lovely jerseys, Jordan Stall.
Speaker 3: You're not a fan. No Carolina, much like other teams in the NHL, has never nailed a great.
Speaker 1: Uniform, Like what the hell is the logo?
Speaker 3: The best uniforms The Whaler retro.
Speaker 4: Tick a stick.
Speaker 3: That's the hurricane warning flag. That's their whole. Even the colors are well, that's the color of the hurricane warning flight.
Speaker 4: I know it's not good colors.
Speaker 3: By the way, I should say. The white Caps played San Jose Saturday. Next home game one two in the Western Conference. Yes, one two, Yes, San Jose's one yeah, yeah, yeah yeah. White Caps haven't been losing. They draw. They drew last weekend with the LA Galaxy, but one. San Jose is playing very well as well. Again. Next home game not until August, the first against I believe LAFC. Okay, all the best of the white Caps. We'll take a break. DTMZ next Donny Dolly the team on Jack.
Speaker 9: The BC Construction Safety Lines is celebrating twenty five years of making BC work sites safer. As part of that mission, the BCCSA is now on the road with the Safety on Tour, a new mobile education experience that delivers live safety demonstrations directly to your work site, school, or community. Safety on Tour offers engaging, interactive demonstrations that highlight key safety principles, whether it's the effectiveness of fall arrest systems, the advantages of safe lifting procedures or the protection offered by helmets, safety glasses and gloves. Safety on Tour transforms safety information into memorable and actionable experiences. Book now the reserve and appears by the Safety on Tour Mobile Experience. Contact the VC Construction Safety Alliance by emailing Safety on Tour at BCCSA dot ca.
Speaker 4: It's eleven thirty two on a Thursday morning. It is Donnie and Downy on check TV. Now time for DTMZ, brought to you by the oral famous Whister Golf Club by Gusi big Al out there, Great track, Great Track.
Speaker 3: DTMZ is brought to you by the Arnold Palmer Design was a golf club Indvitti golfers to stay up to date with Phase two of their golf course renovation on Instagram at Wester Golf and just a reminder, the golf shop and the driving range will remain open this summer. Big Al will be there signing autographs. Late April in Beijing. You seen this?
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, you don't know what I'm talking about.
Speaker 3: You It wasn't even close. As a bright red Chinese humanoid named Lightning lived up to its name in a half marathon pitting humans against robots smoking the competition. The five to five bipedal robot developed by Chinese smartphone maker Honor Blaze through the thirteen ooops. Blaze through the thirteen mile race in thirty minutes fifty minutes twenty six seconds, beating all twelve thousand human competitors and surpassing by seven minutes the human world record.
Speaker 4: What are we seeing here? Ryan?
Speaker 3: Is this the guy who on that robot who won?
Speaker 4: Did he have some beers?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Or but just wait because he did fall and they.
Speaker 3: Picked him up and helped him cross the line.
Speaker 1: Party gain is that? I don't think this is the winner they bring out that they bring out a stretcher.
Speaker 3: Yeah, what are we doing?
Speaker 1: It's a machine?
Speaker 3: You know what at this point?
Speaker 1: Because they do get it back on track. He does when they should.
Speaker 3: You know, what would make it fair is to have robots helping him, right?
Speaker 1: Or see you do this?
Speaker 4: Why don't we just have out there?
Speaker 3: You go? The human world record for a half marathon set last month in Lisbon by Uganda's Jacob. So the robot beat that record by Jacob by seven minutes?
Speaker 4: Why did he run into the bear?
Speaker 3: Okay, here you go? Lightning slowed down slightly when it crashed into a railing near the end of the race. You just saw that with the machine. It's got the same running style as Ryan, with the machine held back up recovering to make a dramatic finish. There you go, and you know what, robots swept the podium one two three, But he's not supposed to go in the barricade. Why do I enjoy watching that? I don't know. Nearly forty of the robots were autonomous. You know what that means.
Speaker 4: Autonomous?
Speaker 3: Well, it means that nobody was at the controls right running the full distance on their own as they navigated turns and an even terrain. Other competitors were operated by remote control, with finishing times adjusted to reflect the different categories. Congratulations to Lightning, especially recovering from this fall, because where are we.
Speaker 1: Going to stop with robotics like this man? Because nobody robots any movie where this happens, and to take over the planet Earth and we're like thrown out of.
Speaker 3: It, back to lost in space, like like.
Speaker 1: What are we doing? Why are we trying to perfect robots?
Speaker 4: You know what?
Speaker 3: Is production part of it? No part of it? Yeah, that's that's definitely part of the part of it. It's cool. Look at this they these guys are going to take over.
Speaker 4: Yeah, like honestly, that's what running at you.
Speaker 1: That thing freaky, that is freaky.
Speaker 3: I still want to see And I've talked about this on the show before the robot Umpire, the argument with the robot Umpire.
Speaker 4: Hey you yeah, you better pray they don't find robots to replace us.
Speaker 1: Well, and you know, maybe an improvement.
Speaker 3: This is the part of the show where you rip off your mask and you're actually a robot.
Speaker 4: Robots. Yeah, it's scary stuff. It's billionaires with money to burn. Uh, you know all this stuff. It's it's all these billionaire guys. Well, yeah, buddy, they're doing what you were just talking about.
Speaker 3: This is an experiment. It's gonna they're gonna replace us with robots and away we go.
Speaker 4: Goodbye, audios, get rid of these robot things. Remember the Jetsons, good good, good show. Remember the Jetsons, of course, Yeah, they were the best robots. R two D two Johnny Robots through History, Johnny five, What was that movie, Johnny five? Well, what a robo cop RoboCop iron Man? Iron Man?
Speaker 3: Iron Man was at a robot well in a way.
Speaker 7: I know.
Speaker 1: Tony starts in iron Man.
Speaker 3: Roboco number one, Robot out there.
Speaker 1: Birthdays Let's go all right.
Speaker 3: Hey, next pole ex wading dog pole question, Let's go for robot.
Speaker 4: What do we do now? Birthdays brought to you by Little Rickey's at Grocery Stowing, Casino and with Task in Alberta, forty five minutes out of Edmonton. Just pass the International airport. Here we go. This undrafted player played one hundred and seventy two games for the Canucks. Undrafted, undrafted nineteen eighty one, played all his hockey in Sweden and MOTO helped his country to several metal finishes at the Winter Olympics in the Worlds in the nineteen eighty so always on the Swedish top teams. Played for Sweden at the nineteen eighty Winter Olympics in Lake Placid. Skilled play making forward, strong on both the power play and the PK. One of my favorites growing up.
Speaker 1: I should have played for the Knucks, No, yeah, but the Canucks.
Speaker 4: One hundred and seventy two games for the Canucks. He joined his former MOTO teammates Thomas Gardeen and Lars lingren.
Speaker 3: Love's point Lars Mullen.
Speaker 4: Lars Mullen, it was he twenty six, Yes, twenty six. I still favorite player. Shut, What are you talking about? A number twenty six? Lars Mullane. I still remember the great Jim Robson calling Lars Mullen goals. It's in my head.
Speaker 3: I was a robot.
Speaker 1: He stopped.
Speaker 4: Lars Mullen was one of my favorite Canucks. I loved him. Great guy. Okay, this guy is another former Canuck too. It's Canuck Day on birthdays. That's Cannock, the Winnipeg Jets third round pick in nineteen ninety five Edmonton guyen ninety five. Played in Portland, pretty good in Portland with the Winterhawks. Played for Canada at the ninety seven World Juniors. Would never play a game at Winnipeg when they moved to Arizona. That's where he played, made his NHL debut, started bouncing around. Then Islanders traded him for Raffie Torres two thousand and seven. Signs a one year deal with the Canucks for five hundred Grad only played fifteen fifty five games in Vancouver duty injuries. After a year in the Swiss League, he retired into coaching. Initials Brad is mister is Vister Boom. I remember Brad is Vista. I remember interviewing him. Great guy, great guy, good guy. Okay, this guy was a high pick on the twenty sixteen NHL draft. Born in Sweden, but represented Finland. Born in Sweden, represented Finland. Oh, hold on, Lars Eller? Ah, stop it? How do you get Lars Zeller?
Speaker 1: Is that who it is?
Speaker 3: It's not large Dad, It's an inside joke. That was Denmark, by the way.
Speaker 1: Oh was it?
Speaker 4: So he's got dual citizenship. In twenty sixteen, he won the President's Trophy, which is awarded the person who was the most impressive ice hockey player in Finland. In the NHL. He opted to wear sweater number ninety eight, first player to do it since nineteen eighty five, when Brian Lawton, the former first overall.
Speaker 3: Pick of Minnesota almost Gretzky ninety eight.
Speaker 4: Yeah, ninety eight. He started his career on the line with Leon Drysdle and Patrick Maroon. Could never get traction in Avonton Hully Harvey. Yes, yes, you got it. Jesse Pouley Arvey. Who he's not in the NHL anymore? Is he? I don't think so. I think he was in Florida. The last kick of the can All right, last one.
Speaker 3: This player that was the Pierre Luke Dubois draft.
Speaker 1: Was it, Yeah?
Speaker 4: It was yeah, Yeah, that's it. This player was a six round pick of the Buffalo Sabers in nineteen seventy two. All hockey here fourteen years in the NHL. Initially entered the University of Denver as a baseball player on a baseball scholarship.
Speaker 3: What year you were talking here?
Speaker 4: In nineteen seventy two, Vancouver native by the way, went to University of Denver on baseball scholarship, ended up playing hockey. Helped the Savers reach the seventy five stand the Cup Finals, best years in Boston, leading them to the He played in the nineteen ninety seventy seven the NFL All Star Game, led the Bruins in nineteen ninety seventy seven Listen to me seventy seven, led the Bruins and goals for three straight years. In nineteen eighty had an eighty three point season. Vancouver native ended up with the Canucks in eighty four. Played two years in Vancouver after the Canucksy was signed with the Devils. His father was the GM Peter McNabb, Peter McNabb, Peterman. I remember when the Canucks got Peter McNabb in nineteen eighty four.
Speaker 3: Max McNabb was his dad.
Speaker 4: Max was his dad, inducted into the US hockey. He's a Vancouver native, the late Peter McNabb. Yeah, Peter, But you know, I think he bounced wrong. It didn't stay in Vancouver too long if I remember correctly. But Peter McNabb was a great hockey player, a great guy, and then an.
Speaker 3: Analyst as antolyst Duck as an analyst with Colorado Ducks two.
Speaker 4: He was with the Ducks for many years.
Speaker 3: All right, thanks for that. We're good? Is it just me coming up? Bill Danoff eighty years old today. Singer and songwriter You're gonna like this? Do you like Anchorman? In the movie? Oh? Singer and songwriter for the Washington DC group That's Gonna Play Us At April seventy six and their self titled debut album, Starland Vocal Band, number one in Canada and the US with Afternoon Delight on Check when It's right, It's right on a BC Thursday morning.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna find my baby, Gonna hold it day.
Speaker 3: Donna grab some then line.
Speaker 4: My motto has always been when it's.
Speaker 3: Right bayside, ocean front resort inbox hopping popping for is it just me rot Ryan? What's going on? Nothing? Okay? Go ahead, I.
Speaker 4: Want to go to join Nanaimo. First, how about a shout out to the Nanaimo Clippers. They swept the heavy favorite Prince George to win the Coastal Conference Championship. They're gonna play for the Rogers Cup BC Hockeyey Championship. A great uh, Nanaimo Clippers. Great, great history there that Bill Beswick had so many good teams over the years. There, good franchise, good on Nanaimo Clippers.
Speaker 3: And Western Hockey League. Draft was yesterday? Was it not?
Speaker 4: Yes? Did you want to mention something with that Vancover Giants? A couple of no. By the way, vancourvag Giants took trade Eli Vickers from Surrey Delta Academy third overall. Seven kids from the Lower Mainland. Donny went in the first round of the dub Draft. Here it is right here, Eli Vickers, a big defenseman Delta third overall pick for the Giants and fourth overall they took Braden Jugnaf. That's a Centerman out of Kolowna. So this is they had the second pick and they moved down and moved it with ever No, no, the Wenacchi they did the deal, got a bunch of whack up draft picks from Monacchi to.
Speaker 3: Move down Bobby from Poco. Is it just me to show the Canucks just hire AI robots as GM and president. They could do any worse about twenty of those right now. I haven't seen I robot by the way, with Will Smith, I have submissions.
Speaker 4: And twenty minutes I backed off. No there are I couldn't get into it. If you can't get into a movie. I got a twenty minute limit. I give everything. We were twenty minutes and then I time it and if I'm not.
Speaker 3: F I was like that with everything everywhere, all at once, which won the Oscar. I thought it was horrible. A lot of people saying they were thankful that robot didn't rupture a testicle.
Speaker 4: Les, which you said, Sammy Seller did. Imagine training your whole life for a half marathon just to get smoked by our roomba with knees, Teddy and north Fan. Yeah, they got to stop that robot crap. Why why is he doing the place I got?
Speaker 3: Well, yeah, I stop it, Dodd technological advancement. We're getting a lot of this. This is unsigned?
Speaker 4: Is it just me?
Speaker 3: But what are the chances of them? Are Doman being part of that bid for the white Caps? I just don't see it.
Speaker 1: Look, look, if you're buying.
Speaker 3: The Lions or the white Caps CFL team or an MLS team, it's a labor of love. There's very a very good chance you're going to lose money, all right, it's it's for the community. And I know with the white Caps a lot of it is that that ownership group feels that your participation in sports is very very important and that teams like the white Caps and the Lions influence kids to play sports, which is great for for everybody. I can't see him, ar No, you know, doing a labor of love times too.
Speaker 4: And if the white Caps owner is telling you he's lost three four, five hundred million dollars, who the heck wants to go walk into that? Who wants to walk into that? Don unless you see a better picture, there would have to be a different stadium. Absolutely, just me, But is this not a good time to sell high on heronic package? Him up late first round pick two seconds for San Jose second overall ed from White Rock. Heronic is most likely gonna I I think the captain of the Vancouver Canucks is gonna come down to Heronic and Brock.
Speaker 3: Then they don't need a captain.
Speaker 4: Just stop, don I'm telling you he's on a.
Speaker 3: Short so you don't trade him if you got to, if you get a great deal, place who's your first pair of defense?
Speaker 4: If you trade Heronic, you just traded what's his name, Tyler Myers. The right side's weaker, and now you want to get rid of your top right shot.
Speaker 3: D Well, you make it sound like the president is really really important, the most important. The future is the most important thing. You get, you get presented a great deal for Philip Peronic. Goodbye. Sorry, Jim in Victoria is just me. But wasn't it awesome to see Quinn Hughes getting thump numerous time the other night? Go Avs Nathan McKinnon was hitting everybody legally in that game. One of the players he hit was Quinn Hughes and he blastered Matt Boldi as well. It was pretty impressive. But Quinn Hughes is getting booed in Denver, left and right, and that wasn't the McKinnon hit wasn't the only hit he took on that game, and we saw that. Remember remember when the Kuducks played Nashville and Keifer Shrewood was going after Quinn. He was back in twenty four.
Speaker 4: What does Quinny you expect he's in the second round of the playoff. Well, he knows that he's got a big target on his back. He's one of the best defensemen in the world. The kid Schaefer with the Islanders done was the most hit defenseman in the NHL this year. He's eighteen years old. Why do you think he was the most hit teams targeting the best players.
Speaker 3: I get that, But for Jim and Victoria it's a little extra special because there is definitely an anti Quinn Hughes group that has grown larger and larger since he was traded. Right, That's true. Even before that, We'll wrap up to the show and the pole question. Next, Donnie Delly, the team on check, three foot hot dogs, postgame fireworks, Freddy Noonters and the future Toronto Blue Jays.
Speaker 1: Right in your backyard.
Speaker 3: Catch a Vancouver Canadians game this summer as they celebrate seventy five years at nap Bailey Stadium. For tickets, promotions and more information, visit Canadians Baseball dot com or call six oh four eight, seven to two, five, two, three to two Today.
Speaker 4: Doug and I mean dog poll Rick, Ryan Gonner up the waterling dog up pop pole question and assuming mckennon' stenberg go one and two in the draft, who should have Connects number three? Look at this fifty three percent say Manny's kid Caleb, followed by Chase Reied, the big defenseman out of the Ohl. And then you got Keaton Veroff who playing Victoria last year, Carson Carrels who plays in Prince George this year.
Speaker 3: I believe Craig Button has Carson Carl's at number two for his latest Craig's where great photos.
Speaker 4: We're gonna mention.
Speaker 3: Yes before we get to photos. A special hello to longtime viewers, special viewers Maureene and Bob. They're going through some tough times right now, so a special hello to them.
Speaker 4: Marine and Barbara are two of our favorites. Have a good day. Okay, where we're going? Right? Are we going overseas? Where we're going?
Speaker 1: We're going to cruise.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 4: It's in water. It's in water. You never said overseas it's in water. Okay, get her up. This is Rob and Kim taking the mini cruise to Seattle and Victoria. Look at that discovery. What's it called the Discovery of the Princess or.
Speaker 1: It's just discover, no discovery? That this something hiding.
Speaker 4: Tom's video. But listen, discovery Princess looks like is what the boats called. I haven't taken the cruise to Seattle in Victoria, have you.
Speaker 3: I've never taken a cruise, have you.
Speaker 4: I took one last summer. Oh yeah, that's right to Los Angeles. I thought it was wonderful.
Speaker 3: That sounds like a good way to ease into a cruise experience. Somebody at Victoria.
Speaker 4: Yeah yeah, oh yeah, I thought it was fabulous.
Speaker 1: Maybe maybe you could go San Diego to Vancouver like some people do something like that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Ryan, when we're going to people work right overseas?
Speaker 1: Uh yeah, Turkey.
Speaker 4: Oh go look at that where my Donnie and Dolly shirt at the Seraphane winery in Turkey. Sorry about that, cusa just Turkey, he said, Turkey. We had just toured the ancient Ruins of Ephesus, a fan of the show to press conduct fan Larry port Moody, Larry, look at look at that, Larry and Turkey looking great. Thanks a lot, Buddy, We.
Speaker 1: Got one hold over photo. We'll get to tomorrow.
Speaker 4: We'll get to the uncle. Your uncle, Glenn, Glenn, great guy.
Speaker 3: Thanks for watching. Folks on behalf of Ryan, Derek, other people in the studio, Rick, everyone here at Oh Boy check. I'm don and you're up to date in the world of sports.
Speaker 2: Thanks for listening to the Donnie and Dolly podcast. Be sure to follow us on Twitter at Donnie and Dolly for all the latest show content.