Speaker 1: Hello everybody, and welcome to a brand new episode of Second Take Cinema, coming at you from the Glorious Impala Film's headquarters in sunny South End on Sea. I'm your host, Jamie Evans, joined as always by mister Rory Jocelyn. Yes, and today we are going back to the oldest film we have ever reviewed on this show. It's a second take on nineteen thirty's Animal Crackers. Animal Crackers is a nineteen thirty American pre code comedy movie starring the Marx Brothers. Directed by Victor Human. It is based on the nineteen twenty eight musical Animal Crackers by George S. Kaufman and Maury Reiskind, which also starred the Marx Brothers and Margaret Dumont. This is the second feature film of the Marx Brothers, the previous one being The Coconuts. Coconuts, it says on here.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, so it's spelt weird, but it is it's stylized.
Speaker 1: I don't know it is coconuts. Yeah, sorry, I'm misread. Yeah, cow nuts on Rotten Tomorrow's. The movie has a ninety seven and the initial response according to Wikipedia. The film was critically praised on its original release, with critic Mordaunt Hall of The New York Times giving it a positive review, describing it as a further example of amusing nonsense. This mad affair suits the principles, and its absurdities brought forth gales of laughter yesterday afternoon. He added the caveat that it is, however, the sort of thing that will only appeal to those who revel in the work of these four brothers. Martin Dickstein of the Brooklyn Daily Eagle agreed, calling it an improvement on The Coconuts in which the brothers managed to reach the topmost heights of lunacy, concluding it was just about the surest cure for the blues that could ever be prescribed. Animal Crackers also received positive coverage from trade publications. The Film Daily compared it favorably to The Coconuts, writing the four Marx brothers are back in the Talkers, this time doing better than in their first. Noting that there was not much plot, they observed that whilst most of the partey is nonsense, it gets the laughs and that's what counts. The Film Spectator gave a dissenting negative review, writing I'm sorry I saw it. Sam Silverman in Variety offered a favorable review, commenting on its financial success and implications for the film industry in adapting stage comedy to the screen. Perhaps a little trade stuff here might serve better than a waste of words to tell about a Doe film that's already in.
Speaker 2: It a Doe film. Maybe they had more relevance because there was quite a few things in the film and I think probably will have then come up in reviews where they'd be referring to vaudeville, because Vaudeville would have been huge at the time, and obviously that's where the Marx Brothers came from and what they were known for.
Speaker 1: He predicted that the public would stop going to see touring stage shows, opting instead to wait for the release of the film.
Speaker 2: Well other than musical is He's not wrong?
Speaker 1: No, giving paramount extreme credit for reproducing animal Crackers intact from the stage. That is of such benefit. It asks why animal Crackers on stage at five dollars fifty when even the rawer lights No, they will see it later on the screen for fifty or seventy five cents. Critics and filmmakers recognized the film's significance in the decades following its initial release. In his nineteen fifty four review, French New Wave director Francois Truffaux called the Marx Brothers the greatest American comedians of the pre war decade, ranking Animal Crackers alongside A Night at the Opera as their best work. Truffaux further noted that the film had enduring appeal, writing that one laughs with this movie as much as one did twenty years ago. The nineteen seventy four re release of Animal Crackers also prompted critics to reassess the film. In a review for the Los Angeles Free Press, critic Dick Locked wrote, with a Marx Brothers movie, success becomes largely a matter of routines, and Animal Crackers provide some of their best. David Sterritt of the Christian Science Monitor noted that even though the film's production was dated, animal Crackers is a peach. John J. O'Connor's review in The New York Times from the nineteen seventy nine CBS television broadcast described the Marx Brothers' routines as uneven, but still found them funny. At one point, Groucho turns towards the camera and explains all the jokes can't be good. You've got to expect that once in a while. In Animal Crackers, however, the good ones are very very good. The film continues to receive plaudits from reviewers and filmmakers, with director Jim Jarmush listing the Marx Brothers in an article describing his guilty pleasures, specifically citing Animal Crackers. Actor and director Stanley Tucci featured the film in a curated selection of work for Time magazine, calling it one of the greatest movies ever made. Comedian and actor Keegan Michael Key cited The Marx Brothers as an influence on his work, expressing his preference for Animal Crackers over Duck Soup Man.
Speaker 2: I love Keegan Michael Key as Jamie Knows, I love Keep Peel the Sketch Show, and there's quite a bit of it. It's very different, but there's quite a bit of it where there's a lot of wordplay that would then connect to the Marx Brothers and Grat Show in particular, but also Chico somewhat. And then there's also quite a little bit of slapstick that would be very similar to Harpo. So I can see the influence in the work of Key and Peele, and also specifically in the work of Keegan Michael Key, because he's obviously done stuff outside of Kean Peele being in multiple films. There's one. There's what he's did with John Cena, which I haven't watched yet, but I've seen the outtake where he's crying and it keeps making John Cena corpse right. I don't know if you've seen that, but it's hilarious. It's just the way he goes full at it at the crag, but it's like it's comedy craying, so you're just like ah, and it's like the way he's going at it, just John Cena can't code.
Speaker 1: I saw when he did the comedy speech with President Obama. Yes, that was quite fun. Yeah. So Rory, you added Animal Crackers through the list of movies that needed a second take. So why don't you tell the audience a little bit about your earliest memory of Animal Crackers.
Speaker 2: So I do not know when I first watched this film, because I've been watching it since I was probably about two years old, maybe earlier, so I won't have any memory of that. I grew up with the Marx Brothers. My dad was a big fan of Marx Brothers and as such it became kind of a regular staple in my house. Sorry, Jamie just put his glasses on upside down to prove that he is a wacky boy as well, but basically, yeah, my dad would always put it on. All the various Marx Brothers films, I've seen almost all of them. I've seen all of the ones that they're together in. There's a couple that there's one I think I've not seen yet, which is Groucho Marx a girl in every port. That's the only one I've not seen. That's just him on his own though from nineteen fifty two. But all the others I've seen, and I've seen lots of documentary films and stuff about the Marx Brothers. I'm fascinated by them. And as Jamie may Or may not pull about, and certainly is evident in our sister show VGMP, a lot of the pun work, a lot of wordplay, a lot of you know, me being an annoying bastard comes from youth spent imitating and admiring the Marx Brothers work. So as far as Animal Crackers is concerned, specifically, I don't know when I first watched it. I've always enjoyed this film. I hadn't. It's the first one of their films that I've watched from a young age. Coconuts I only really saw when I was older, and it isn't as good. And the main issue with using Coconuts first, because Coconuts has I'll say one thing for Coconuts the makeup is really stage to the point where when you're watching it you're like, everyone looks like way too made up. The women's faces are like super white where they've got like thick white stage makeup on and then like really dark eyebrows and stuff drawn on, because that's how you'd need to see them from the back of a theater. Because they've got close ups and stuff in the movie, you're like, yeah, you could have, yeah, dial that ship back. In this they have dialed it back, so everything looks a little bit more naturalistic. But also the other problem with the Coconuts and the reason I didn't start with it, A hadn't watched it from a very young age, and B the sound quality is the worst thing in the Coconuts. It's quite muffled, even on the blu ray right and it's it's because it's because of decay. I'm fairly certain it's either because of early mic recordings not being that great, or it might be decay or a mixture of the two. Because we are talking about some of the earliest talkies. Animal Crackers has in comparison, relatively clear sound, as well as the you know, some interesting visuals which we'll get to.
Speaker 1: Did they ever do any silent films, the Marx Brothers.
Speaker 2: Or were they they were talkies? Only the only one really that would have worked in silent is Harpo, The you know, Groucho is all about quick, witten, sharp, you know, attacking conversation. Yeah, And the main thing with Chico is that he's so dumb. He can confuse Graucho by being too dumb for the wordplay to work, whereas I can't really do maybe.
Speaker 1: Our Chico at Heart. But a lot of this word plate doesn't work. A lot of it's really forced.
Speaker 2: A couple of bits are forced, like mouse and Yes, there are there are some jokes that are forced, but there are some that are really good.
Speaker 1: I guess Mouse and Moose works if you have a Scottish accent.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but doesn't Chico doesn't. Notch Gracho Gratcho doesn't.
Speaker 1: I'm the one who's been drinking all day.
Speaker 2: Wrong. Yeah, this is my favorite fucking comedy trio. And I can't.
Speaker 1: You're gonna be all right driving home?
Speaker 2: No? But yeah, So I added this because I I the premise of stc Is. I wanted to, you know, have a look at various different stuff I've I've brought in a couple of other comedies before that are more modern but of a similar style, like Airplane, which has a lot of word play and stuff like that, but is obviously a lot more modern than this. And this is very much my jam when it comes to comedy. However, as we discovered with Airplane, this type of comedy isn't so much your jam.
Speaker 1: So can you believe we're only a few years away, four years away from this being one hundred years old.
Speaker 2: It's nearly hit its centenary. And you know what, for me, not this film as much, but a lot of this still works. There is quite a bit of it that's aged. And I don't just mean in the fact that it's black and white, but there are certain jokes that rely on you knowing either the sensibilities of the era some of the jokes require that, and some of the other jokes require you to know, and some of these I don't even I still don't get require you to know about people of the era. There was one joke that I even looked up and even Google was like, I don't fucking know where.
Speaker 1: I fucking about. You don't know, I don't know, babe.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's one where Chico there's a aracter called Roscoe and he goes this. He says, I think I see you somewhere before he goes, well, the papers will run my photo and he goes, oh, you're Abe Cabibble and he goes, I'm not decabilians. Well, if not Abe Cabibel, who are you? I don't know who Abe Cabibble is. So I looked it up and Google was just like, what the closest I got was Adiola Caboli or something, and he was an American baseball star but he was like twenty no, sorry was he was a baseball star from three years after this film was made. And he's still not Abe Cabibel.
Speaker 1: So let's see if Google can help us. Now, Hey, Google, who was Abe Cabible? So Abe Cabible? So he's fictional oh. Abe Cabibble was the main character in the popular early American comic strip Abe the Agent.
Speaker 2: Oh oh, that might explain the Abe the Fishman joke, then that they say afterwards.
Speaker 1: He's inspired by the Yiddish slang phrase ish cabible, which means I don't care or so what. The phrase itself, popularized in the nineteen tens, led to the comic strip and later to the stage name of musician Merwyn Bogue, who went by Ish Kabibl in k Kaiser's band, making the name widespread.
Speaker 2: But that had explained why. He then says, the papers will run my picture, and he goes, you don't look like Abe Kabibbel because it's a comic strip. And then when he calls him Abe the Fishman, that he says, you look like But then he says he was the fishman. So maybe he was a phishmonger or a fishman, but maybe he wasn't called Abe and the aby bit was taken from the Abe Kabibble I think so. Yeah, that's interesting though, So.
Speaker 1: In terms of my own experience with the Marx Brothers, I was pretty much only aware of them from pop culture references and not from the best of Saucers, largely from interviews with Alice Cooper where he talks about his friendship with Grouchow and from the movie The Devil's Rejects that we will be covering later on. This season of the show has a weird gimmick. I guess rob Zombie liked The Marx Brothers. Where the serial killers in that film keep using names from the Marx Brothers.
Speaker 2: Well, the main one is called Captain, the clown is called Captain. Is the name of Groucho in this film?
Speaker 1: Yeah? So you have Otis be Driftwood.
Speaker 2: Yep, that's from Duck Soup.
Speaker 1: Captain's boulding from this one. Yep. You have RJ Flywheel.
Speaker 2: That was a radio drama, a radio comedy show that he did. R J Flywheel wasn't in the films. That's a that's a deep cut for robs On begs.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you have his baby Firefly. Is that from them or the Firefly family in general? Is that from the Yeah?
Speaker 2: So he was, Yeah, his name was Firefly in that was in Duck Soup as well. Yeah. Yeah, rufous T Firefly was his name in Duck Soup.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's a rufous T fight yeah. So other than those pop culture references, the only other experience I had with the Marx Brothers is you showed me duck Soup one time, yes, and.
Speaker 2: I thought you'd find it funny for it.
Speaker 1: And you said, hey, let's try Animal Crackers, so fair play. Well.
Speaker 2: I was going to suggest duck Soup again, but because we both watched it, but I remember you didn't like it, so I thought i'd try something else. Realistically, thinking back, I should have gone with Night at the Opera simply because Night of the Opera follows the three act structure a lot better and is considered by some to be their best movie. Generally, people like either Duck. Usually, if a Marx Brother's favorite is either Duck Soup or Night at the Opera, Duck Soup is better if you prefer the chaotic nature of the Marx Brothers. Night of the Opera is better if you prefer that chaos to be trapped into a storyline that is a lot more refined. It plays like a proper movie, whereas all of like Duck Soup and certainly Animal Crackers, plays like there's a play going on, but the Marx Brothers are basically injecting themselves and destroying it. So it's a very different vibe. One is way more wild, one is almost controlled chaos.
Speaker 1: I was happy to watch it though, because I like studying the history of film. This is the second oldest movie I've ever seen, not counting so I'm talking there about actual like feature movies.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Obviously I've seen some of the very early film stuff where it's like a minute long and it's like the first thing that was ever shot on a camera type thing. And I've seen the famous staircase sequence from Battleship for Tempkin as well, which is where continuity editing was like invented.
Speaker 2: Wow. No, I haven't seen that one myself, So.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's a Russian film. Ye. But now the oldest feature I have ever seen predates this by a decade. It is nineteen twenty's The Cabinet of Doctor Kaligari, Wow, which is a German expressionist film. It is the one you are you familiar with Robert Zombies Living Dead Girl music video.
Speaker 2: Yes, that music video is based.
Speaker 1: On the Cabinet of Dr Calgary. It's very very tim Burtonish now obviously.
Speaker 2: Very Asian.
Speaker 1: Dr Kaligary is, but it's.
Speaker 2: It's surprising that he hasn't remade it, but maybe he doesn't want to.
Speaker 1: I think he tried at one point and then couldn't. Someone else got the rights and made a version that's apparently terrible, and everyone's just kind of protect agreed to pretend it doesn't exist. But it's the sets are very stagy, but that's kind of they're not attempting to make them look real, Like all of the trees are really like zig.
Speaker 2: Zaggy, and yeah, that's it's stylized more than it is naturalist.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but this is definitely the oldest comedy movie I've ever seen. Before this, probably the oldest I've ever seen was probably some.
Speaker 2: Like It Hot, So yeah, it would be the general with Buster Keaton is the oldest comedy movie I've seen. That's a really good film, but that is a silent film, whereas this is not. And I've also seen Metropolis, which older than this, but that's not a comedy. And I've also seen the original Sferratu, which is older than this, but is also again not a comedy.
Speaker 1: Metropolis is the same year as this, and next nineteen thirteen. In Metropolis No.
Speaker 2: Nineteen twenty eight, I think, oh, Wow. Yeah, Metropolis is still in the twenties and it was one of the most expensive films ever made at the time. I've also seen the two thousand and one anime remake by the guy who did a Kira and actually, you know what, it's not the same film really, It's got a lot of the same premise. But the two thousand one Metropolis is actually a pretty down good time.
Speaker 1: Oh really, yeah.
Speaker 2: I actually I have actually have praise for that. One of the things that I do have praised for it as well is the soundtrack, but we'll get to that when we cover it, if we ever cover it. But yeah, I just wanted to say, usually remakes you're like, what the hell, But actually anime Metropolis is actually quite good.
Speaker 1: Okay, fantastic so on too, animal Crackers, And the first few things that jump out at me is, obviously, if you're going to go back and watch this movie as a model on it, she's gotta be prepared for the ways in which it is aged. Obviously it's all in black and white. The sound also has a little bit of an shoe not in the same way that it sounds like the coconuts hand where it's really muffled. That sounds not great. This has a thing that you get with a lot of these early studio pictures, which is when they're on the bigger sets, there is a bit of echo because the mics are not nearly close enough to the actors not to eliminate that, because they used to do it stage style where the mics were in the ceiling and they're just picking them up from that distance.
Speaker 2: The other thing as well is there's not many close ups. We're used to close ups in films, and it actually looks really weird to watch a film without close ups now, because you're like, well, of course I want to get and the benefit of the closeups is you could then get the micing close. Yeah, but they because it's all kind of mid shots on massive sets. As you say, the microphones are miles away.
Speaker 1: Yeah. And as we've alluded to already, this isn't really written in a way that a modern audience we're very, very familiar with three acts structure. Now. This feels more like, as you say, a vaudeville show that has a very loose plot put in it to a point where there are multiple times For those who don't know, because I don't know what the age of our listeners are. Vaudeville was kind of a variety act thing that was really popular back in the nineteen tens, nineteen twenties, nineteen thirties, so you'd have a whole variety of different acts. This is kind of the same thing, which is very cool from that perspective, but to a modern audience it would feel odd because this film thinks nothing of just full on stopping everything that's happening to do a ten minute sequence where a guy sits and plays the harp, and I literally mean that's all that happens. He just sits there, plays the harp. And there's another bit where a guy just sits there and plays the piano, and this film thinks nothing of doing that because it's got that variety show aspect in mind, whereas in a modern film, you imagine going to a studio and going, yes, so there's this ten minute sequence where we're going to we're going to sit and play the harp, and that studio would be like fired, Yeah, we're going to go and get generic director number twenty off of the lot and he will do everything we say.
Speaker 2: Yeah, crack, or even if even if the director indulged themselves and filmed it in the and try to keep it in the edit that you be like.
Speaker 1: No, that's what director's cuts.
Speaker 2: So for Yeah, so they'd probably slice it out and they go, we look, it's great. Put it as a deleted scene on the DVD.
Speaker 1: We could use it to justify selling the four K Blu ray collection.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah. The thing is though, actually, actually, to be fair, to try and bring it into a modern twenty twenty six ideal, would it not be kind of like it well, to be fair, no, we still kind of do this. We do stunt casting more so than this is. Yeah, so like, for example, the upcoming Street Fighter movie. I know it's a video game thing, but no, but it's we know the cast, and we know that there's people who've been casting it because of who they are, not because of necessarily matching the game or whatever. People yeah Cody Rhodes and you know. And it's because WW is huge at the moment pretty much always has been, and it's you know, going, hey, let's pull in this audience. So stunt casting is still going on. And I think there's certain films where you get things like where people do like little dances and stuff. We've seen it actually quite a bit. In like the Sonic movies, there's always a dance sequence and that's because that's good stuff that they record for generating interest on TikTok during the marketing phase. But it's always in the movie. So I think actually in a modern version of this, if you were to do like a modern Animal Crackers style movie, what you'd get is a bunch of sort of TikTok celebs, maybe a few people from WWE as your actual actors or something, and then you'd have a sequence where they're doing a TikTok dance and that would basically that would make it into your film. It wouldn't be like five minutes long. It might be a minute at max. But it gives you that little segment you can then stick on TikTok or put into the trailer and go.
Speaker 1: Hey kids, They absolutely do make stuff to just stick in TikTok. But I guess it doesn't feel the same because it would have to be as well. Yes, and as you said, it would be shorter, and it would be it would still be a production. Yes, this might as well be Harpo sitting in a black room.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, it's just it's with the Yeah.
Speaker 1: It's one shot, it holds on him, and we just enjoy the music and appreciate the skill that goes into playing the harp. Whereas I think if you showed that to an audience now, you'd get people just being like, snooze. I'm thirty five young, I'm not a young man anymore. I was. I was pretty bored.
Speaker 2: Well where I am hip hop cooling down? I am young and cool and stylish.
Speaker 1: I'm for it, clearly nearly not quite there yet.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I know what you mean. Younger audiences probably wouldn't tolerate it, certainly not for the length of time that it's on, even if they found it intriguing, not for like three solid minutes. And the thing that they put in this and unfortunately is in all except for the reason that the one that's considered the kind of the more accessible Marx Brothers film is Duck Soup is Duck Soup. Does not have a piano segment, does not have a harp a harp segment, and it also doesn't have a lead romantic couple who sing about their romance, whereas almost every single other well certainly from in this as well as in a night of the Opera onwards. That was like an established trope that they'd have in all their films. So Duck Soup is kind of a little bit more accessible to younger audiences nowadays because it plays more in a way towards what younger audiences might watch if they were to give a black and white old movie a chance, because it's it's short, quicker, and it's more about the comedy. But yes, I agree with you on this. The modern audiences would not tolerate themsic.
Speaker 1: Segments, something that I don't think. I can't think of an example that's modern, sort of within the last ten years. Something that's in this that we don't really get any more. That was obviously, as you've told me, it's a staple of the Marx Brothers, whether they're on vaudeville or in films. Is Harpo himself, you know, this silent clown.
Speaker 2: Yes, so yeah, you can tell each of them is a different element of comedy. Groutcho's basically a stand up comic. Harpoe is the silent movie prap like what's it called physical comedian basically in a weird way. Matthew Perry from Friends, etc. He was kind of a blend of those two. He had the quick wit of Groutcho, but he also had the practicality of doing pratfalls like Harpo. But then you also get the guy. I don't think those two alone would work. Chico is like a great blend of those two where he's able to kind of match toe to toe with Graucho by confusing his wit, and he also plays well physically against Harpo. But he's also he brings his own thing to the table as well. But it's it. But they're like, I don't know what I would compare Chico two as I'm guessing just I guess a variety act because he can do comedy jokes and he can play piano, So maybe he's just the straight line version, ironically of the variety act, whereas Chico is more as whereas Groucho is more stand up and Harpoe is more physicality to the only.
Speaker 1: Because you're, funnily enough, the person who popped into my head is doing the silent gimmick. But this is not modern. This person is still around. Yeah, it's not modern because this person is like sixty something years old now. Is Teller from Penn and teller, Yeah, because his whole gimmick is he never speaks. Yeah, and yeah, he is basically a modern half over. Yeah, but it's magic tricks, not acting as such. But there is an element of slight of hand with Harpo as well. Like one thing that I was impressed by was the amount of coordination that was needed to do certain tricks. Like there's a bit where he's trying to rob a guy's wallet, and what he does is the guy's talking to Chico and he's got the wallet in his hand, and he shows Cheico something in the wallet, and he's showed it to Cheico, and as he goes to put it back in his pocket, he's still looking at Cheeko. You know, in a move that any guy has done a million times year, you just instinctively shove it back in your pocket. But as he does that, Harpo like overlays his own leg over the guys in just one motion, and to be fair to both Harpoe and the guy doing it Chandler Roscoe, Chandler Chandler, he just slips it in seamlessly. And there's a lot of the bits that, funnily enough, held up to me, are still the funniest bits were actually those bit of really coordinated comedy don't work type.
Speaker 2: Thing, and a lot of that is Harpo. Ironically, the guy who is the Silent era performer realistically is the one that holds up the most when it comes to the physic like because a lot of that physicality is now back in vogue because it's easily digestible and like TikTok style stuff. That being said, the reason that Groucho still holds up is he's got quite a lot of sometimes just in nane but sometimes quite witty put downs. You know, there's a bit where Chico, he gets pissed off with Chico and he goes, are you done? Well? Well, congratulations, you've solved the case. Do you want to lie down? Why don't you just go lie down until Rigamortis sets in. But there's a lot of quick lines that follow one after the other, and he does it and slags everyone off throughout the film.
Speaker 1: Yes, it's it's funny. I appreciate Groucho Marx's reputation and what an impact he had on Hollywood and on entertainment in general. And I can certainly see obviously someone like yourself really like that there is something of his style of comedy that I just don't find funny. And I don't know. I don't know if it's because I know you first, but I just there's a gimmick he does a couple of times in this film that I didn't find funny. I know you did, and that's actually fine, where he just talks utter nonsense. Yeah, I'm guessing to confuse people or to like buy time for stuff.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, yeah. So he's kind of like this. He's almost like a shotgun sometimes with his mouth. So there'll be bits where he's literally just like laying into him. There's bits where he's kind of perplexing them for a reason, and then there's bits, as you say, where he's just talking nonsense to bamboozle them. And there's one bit where he's he just starts talking about blending one through over another, tastes more like custard than rhubarb does, or something like that, and it's inane, has nothing to do with the plot, has nothing to do with the scene. It's just him talking bollocks. But I think a little bit of that maybe connected to, as I say, the stand up culture of the time. I remember a nineties TV show called The Far Show nineteen nineties because now it feels like we did one hundred years old. I have to state the decade.
Speaker 1: And isn't it as well The Fast Show.
Speaker 2: Yes, but there's a character they draw in that called Arthur Atkinson or something, and he's a comedian from the Groucho era and he's got basically a slogan which is where's mew washboard? But it's very much of that. It's mocking the stand up of that era, where they normally have just a catchphrase that people would laugh at even if it was in nane and made no sense. And then a lot of the comedy was just with that. They made it that he was a bit of a piece of shit, but a lot of the comedy was just irrelevant stuff and people going, oh, that's quite witty, like he's just taking us around on this weird journey of And to be fair, we still have some comedians like that.
Speaker 1: I say, to be fair, maybe we're coming back round to that. And I don't know if it's that we're coming back round to randomness being part of the joke, it's me being older ship but like, for example, please explain to me Rauscham or anyone in the audience. What is funny about skibbity toiletlet? What? What? What?
Speaker 2: Six seven?
Speaker 1: Yeah, like, what is funny about it? I don't understand.
Speaker 2: I don't understand it either. Unfortunately I have aged out of understanding skibbity toilet or six seven.
Speaker 1: I don't think I kind of understood it even when I was that age. But you don't know, because but we did have maybe, but we did have, like we had our own share of random comedy, like The Mighty Boosh. Everyone was no I hated them. Everyone I was at school with loved the Mighty Boosh in my little friendship group. And I watched one episode. I didn't even finish the episode. I was just like, this is awful, this is not funny. What the fuck is this ship? So maybe that we're saying that kind of comedy doesn't exist anymore, But maybe.
Speaker 2: That just I think it just changes slightly. Plus, I think an element of it is it has to catch you at the right time, or you have to be the right age for it to catch you. A good example might be I remember there was a while while I was working at a different at a shop, there was this weird thing of Ugandon knuckles and yeah that again, if you were to say that, show that to someone now, they probably wouldn't get it, let alone in near enough one hundred years time. Just go all your nod you were here with a weird Ugandan knuckles drawn caricature, people be like, what the fuck you want to put? It would mean nothing to them, And so I assume some of the stuff that means nothing to us now from the way he performs, or because there's bits as well where he's doing silly dances for no reason, just pratting about. I don't mind it because I kind of take it for the era it's in. But I imagine if you were to do something like that in a modern film, people go, what the fuck is this? You know, it depends I guess it depends on the film, and it depends on the actor. Some actors can get away with it, other actors can't. Like if you if you watched Michael Fassbender do it, you'd be like, what the fuck is this? But if Ryan Goslin, I'm just ken works because it's Ryan Goslin. You could just want to say Ryan Reynolds. But actually Ryan Goslin could pull it off because I love anywhere else that be a ten.
Speaker 1: I don't know the rest of the words. I've never seen the Barbie movie.
Speaker 2: I will say this, I love Ryan Gosling. He can do whatever he wants because it not like that. That's that's not what I mean.
Speaker 1: I don't say anything but your face. You can't see my face. Record separate record, separate recording. We are not in the living room of my moldy chili flat. The pun humor is one that has kind of aged out because at a certain point in history, I don't know when this point occurred, we basically took pun humor and went, hey, let's put this on the back of Penguin packets and then everyone for the rest of time will hate it. Some of the puns in this don't work. I don't understand now why you forced some of them, because what was the court one that didn't work for me?
Speaker 2: Uh? It was, yeah, so.
Speaker 1: Quaint if I had four quaints, it would be a gallon or something.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that was it. It was something to do with getting four quarts to a gallon. But the word wasn't caught. It was a quaint or a quirt. I can't remember.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was a word that just doesn't sound like quar.
Speaker 2: The one that didn't work was the one because his accent doesn't make it work. It is you, as you said. If you said it in a Scottish accent, it would have worked. Is he uses, He says he's talking about moose, but he then goes, you know what, moose are there little their little raptail things that run around cheese cheese and run away from cats. And you're like, but moose in a New York accent doesn't sound like mouse, but in Scottish.
Speaker 1: It would moose.
Speaker 2: Moose.
Speaker 1: There's a moose in the hoose, the moose loose about this hoose.
Speaker 2: But I don't know about that. With puns, I think I don't think it's something that very young general get like. I don't think gen Z would be into it.
Speaker 1: But you'll make them based on the groans when you make them at work.
Speaker 2: That's that's what I'm basically, to be fair, the grones is what I'm after. I'm one of them assholes. There are punk comedians, and what's weird is a punk comedian doesn't really do it for me. Puns within something else are fine, but on their own raw off a little bit.
Speaker 1: There's a guy I don't know his name, but there's a stand up who keeps popping up on my phone. Actually he's a guy with glasses and a blaser, British guy, and he just does joke joke.
Speaker 2: Is it Gary Delaney?
Speaker 1: It might be. I don't know his name.
Speaker 2: There's there's a guy called Delaney. He's married to. Gary Delaney is married to Sarah Milliken, another comedian in the UK. But she does like narrative comedy.
Speaker 1: Which is what I like.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, And to be honest, I like narrative comedy better when it comes from stand up. I do like wordplay. I do like puns.
Speaker 1: It is Gary Delaney, I've just checked.
Speaker 2: Yeah, But there's also within the UK a Canadian guy who does a lot of it. He does kind of look like you though, no, he doesn't know. He doesn't. He actually doesn't.
Speaker 1: Literally, I've never seen someone look.
Speaker 2: So much like now. He doesn't look a thing like me, he really doesn't.
Speaker 1: I want to put a picture upon her on the parlor films.
Speaker 2: I don't look like him.
Speaker 1: If you if you were a little slimmer and you grew your beard out.
Speaker 2: So I'm the fat one.
Speaker 1: I mean, what do you want me to lie? Okay, if you gained twenty pounds, you would look like him.
Speaker 2: I don't look like him. Literally, he's completely different nose, the same nose, it's a different nose, and I would knows. But there's him, There's a Canadian guy, and there's I can't remember his name. There's a guy who always wears like weird Hawaiian shirts, has messy hair and the way he Milton Milton Jones. And he's another one. So there's like at least three just raw gag me like pun comedians. And all they do is they come up on stage and they just do pun after pun after pun after pun after pun, which is fine. I respect the word play, but you become you desensitized to it. Yeah, it's it's like gross out humor. Or. This happens to Frankie Boyle. He was good for shock humor. The problem is is if you just keep increasing the shock, eventually you run out and you get desensitized to it. So when he comes out and calls you the hard Sea words, you're just like, yeah, right, like you've said this seventeen times, so who gives a shit? Yeah? So, and I think puns operate on the same function, is I like. I know you're not a big fan of them, but for me, I like puns, but you've got to you've got to place them within something else for them to really work. That's that's my view. And I like them in this setting because at least if it was just Groucho start to finish, just going around, it would get tiresome. It's the fact that you have the balance that makes Mark's Brothers work for me.
Speaker 1: Like, like we pointed out, the lack of a story, a real story I think hurts this movie because it feels way longer than it actually is, and it also feels like they're tacked in doing skits within another play. Yes, and as you said, you feel the pace drop every time the Marx Brothers aren't on screen.
Speaker 2: They try to doing comedy moments with the other characters. There's bits where the other characters are doing jokes and you're just like, I'm sorry, but you're trying to do jokes in a Marx Brothers movie. Get the fuck off the screen, give me the brother's bag if you're gonna do comedy. Something I do like in this film. I actually quite like the sets. Now, they don't look around percent realistic, but they are massive and they are grand, and I think they are Art Deco the way that they're designed, or at least a pre Art Deco style. I like this because, let's be honest, most modern films don't have any sets. Basically, it's got large, elaborate sets. There's a bit where Harpo parkours up half of it, which is and this isn't the only film that he does a little bit of parkour in. There's one where he runs up Obviously they've tricked it somehow, but you know, you get those curtain like stage curtains that have designs on them, like in It's actually in a Night at the Opera, they drop a curtain down that has like a set painted onto it, of like a train station. He runs up it with just his feet and without his hands, just running straight up it. Now, obviously they've tricked that, but he is actually doing it. I'm just imagining he must be on a wire or something that you can't see, but the way it's done, it looks like he's running straight up it. And it's kind of like Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon, but like nearly one hundred years before Crouching Tiger hidden tracking, which is quite impressive. But yeah, the set design on this I thought was really cool, and some of the music is cool. I like the hello I must be going from Captain Spaulding, and I do like the bit at the piano where he can't remember the finish yeah, so he just keeps looping back. That was a good bit. As always with Marx Brothers films, pretty much I could have done without the romantic couples song. It slows the pace down a lot because a it's not funny, but it's not brief and see, I don't give a shit about these people. It'd be like if they made an ace Ventura film and for about seven minutes of the film, we're following two Rando's who aren't charismatic and don't add anything to the main story, and they're just like.
Speaker 1: I love you, I love you.
Speaker 2: You'd be like, mate, where's fucking Jim Carrey anyway? Sorry that I just want to talk a bit about set and sound and music. Yeah, I still really enjoy this film. I will watch it again, yea, as I do most Marx Brothers movies. This is one of the better ones for me.
Speaker 1: I can't imagine I'd ever watched this again, but I am glad to have seen it for the experience, for the historical relevance. So I'm glad to have seen it. It's probably not gonna be one I watch again. I do think comedy in general probably ages worse than any other genre. I think we've talked about that before.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, and it makes sense. It makes sense.
Speaker 1: Well, there you have it, folks. That is Animal Crackers. Have you seen Animal Crackers? What did you think about it? Have you seen any Marx Brothers movies? What were your favorite Marx Brothers movies? Let us know in the comments or by emailing Infodt in Polo Films at gmail dot com. Thank you very much everyone. We will be back next week with more Second Take Cinema.