Speaker 1: Welcome to kat r h Garden Line with Skip Rictor's.
Speaker 2: Shoes, crazy gas a trim.
Speaker 3: You can just watch him as well. So many good things to supop raising in great.
Speaker 2: Gas not a.
Speaker 3: Sun glass gas sun beamon of.
Speaker 2: All right, let's get this rolling this morning. Welcome to garden Line. I'm your host, Skip Rictor. We're here to help you have a bountiful garden, beautiful landscape and more fun in the process. That's what we want to do. Gardening should be fun, and it is fun a lot of things. One of the things I like best about gardening is it's renewing abilities. It just you know, you get outside, you clean up a messy bed. Even that's work. I know it's eight outside, but you stand up, you look at the work you've done, the accomplishment, and there is that is a good thing. It feels so good. You know, for years when I was in my main career of my life Agrolfe Extension County horticulture agent with Texas a and named Agrolife Extension. You know, you go to work like any job, and sometimes at the end of the day you look back and you go, what did I do today? I know I pushed papers around and talk to people. But what did I do today? And with gardening, you can see what you do today. I'm going to be doing some planting later today and I'll go outside. I got the beds already, I keep mulch on them, and I put those seeds in the ground and just sit back, or put the transplants in the ground. I say, back and look at it, and it looks good and it gives you hope. And when you put a seed in the ground and you know you're going to get something from that, a flower of fruit, a vegeable, whatever you're growing, there's an accomplishment that anyway. I think that's a great thing. I do want to talk a little bit about the lawns right now. Our lawns are growing fast, and I mean they are. If your lawn, if your soil is moist, your lawn is growing fast. And so we need to make sure and mow as regularly as we can. The more often you mow, the better it looks. It's as simple as that. Now, someone a turf specialist, told me that one time. He said, the most important single thing you do to your lawn is mow it regularly. And I thought, come on man. I thought you'd say water, fertilize something else, but those are all important. But mowing regularly creates the densest, most beautiful turf, just like hedging a hedge regularly creates the densest, most beautiful hedge. So as simple as that, I've noticed out and about in the lawn there's still a little gray leaf spot out there. We're going to be heating up enough and kind of growing our way out of that. But there's a product by night Frog can used called Eagle And one of my family members has a yard that has a lot of gray leaf spot in it because they're putting a new turf in and watering it, you know, twice a day for a while, once a day for a while, and all that water created a lot of gray leaf spot opportunity and there it goes. So Eagle Turf shuts it down. It's a systemic. It also works on other diseases too. You can use it on the other things that plague your lawns, whether it's Saint Augustine or another type of grass. You're gonna find night Foss products places like Plantation, Ace Hardware in Richmond Rosenberg and i FM three fifty nine Langham Creek Ase Hardware, which is raped by Copperfield in the north west part of Houston. FM five twenty nine RCW Nursery on Tomball Parkway and head down to Angleton Inclute. You got to show a couple of lake hardwares there that both carry night foss products as well. We're going to run out to the phones real quick here and talk to Beth. Hello, Beth, welcome to garden Line. Congratulations on being the arderbird.
Speaker 4: I need to want that.
Speaker 5: I know you can plant beans snap beans again this year. It's when's a good time? September? O Can I plant them now? I don't want I don't I don't want the climbing beans. I want snap beans.
Speaker 2: I would I would probably plant those in August uh and and they're going to be It depends on the variety contenders about a forty eight day to harvest variety. But you want them harvesting when the bulk of a heat is past because they just don't set well in the heat. So maybe October, maybe August. If you do September, then it's getting a little late for you to have a really good long harvest from them. But probably believe late in the August.
Speaker 5: It's too hardly to plan them now.
Speaker 2: Huh, you're not gonna I don't think you're going to get good for it. Said, if you plan them now that yes, that is correct.
Speaker 6: Yeah, okay, So so you think you say, my my vegetable.
Speaker 2: Yeah, August, I would say probably for your area, maybe you could start in mid August, be pretty good. I'd probably finish up by the end of the first week of September, somewhere in that range. You may want to make more than one planting just to head your bet.
Speaker 7: Yeah, you could.
Speaker 5: So you recommend contenders, well, contender is.
Speaker 2: A good old old variety. There's a lot of other great new varieties out there. I haven't done a green bean trial in a while. Back when we did them, Derby was a good variety. There's I would I would probably look for a contender. It's good, it's dependable. But one thing I do in my garden's bed is every year, if I'm going to plant, like green beans, I'll plant maybe two varieties. Sometimes I'll do three and just see how they do. And then you'll find out for you and for what you like, how they perform. But you can't go wrong with contender.
Speaker 5: Okay, well, thank you so much.
Speaker 2: All right, thank you for the call. Appreciate that a lot. You take care. Yeah, that is true with our vegetables and things. D and D feed is just outside of Tumball, in fact, it's about three miles west of Highway two forty nine on twenty nine to twenty and you're going to find at D and D the fertilizers I talk about, you know, turf Star, Nelson Fertilizer, turf Star line, the Microlife line, the Nitrofoss line. If you looking for soils and by the bag from heirloom soils, they carry that out there. They have Medina fertilizer products and supplement products as well. Of course, they got high quality feed of all types, including for pets, high end lines like Origin and Victor Star Pro Diamond, those kinds of things. But when it comes to anything to control pest weeds and diseases at your house, they're going to have you covered for that too. They do a very good job of keeping a wide variety of things. I'm most surprised when I go in there and seeing all the different things that they carry. Go to a break here in about one minute. Woody and Kingwood, you'll be our first when we come back. I just don't have enough time to give you the time you need right before we go, So we're gonna take a little break and I'll come back and start with you when we come back. If you're looking for a beautiful landscape, don't look any further than Piercescapes. I talk about them all the time, and I keep telling you the same thing, and that is go to the website pierce Scapes dot com or give them a call. Two eight one three seven oh fifty sixty two eight one three seven fifty sixty. They can do anything you need done, from a complete new landscape to some renovation. You want to add lighting, you want to fix the drainage, You want to get your irrigation working right. You want somebody to come out and quarterly. Come out quarterly to your place and get those beds looking good, get the weeds out, replenish the mults, make sure irrigation's working well on them. Replace some flowers went seasonally as we need to do that. Piercescapes dot com two eight one three seven o five zero zero. We'll be right back. Just a ride welcome back. Good to have you here with us on garden line this morning. If you are planning on doing some soil work, and I hope you are, because I'm doing soil work twelve months out of the year just about. I mean it'd mean every day I'm doing it. But I'm always when I pull out a maybe I had tomatoes growing and I pull them out, playing something for the fall or something else. I'm always working on the soil. And Cienamulch is a place that you go where no matter what you need, they're gonna have it there. Everything for as we say, do the brown stuff before the green stuff. That's the place to go. Sanamulch is on Highway or on FM of five point twenty one, kind of over near Highway six and two eighty eight south of Houston. Just go to the website Sienna Mulch dot com cinamals dot com. You'll find mulches. You'll find all kinds of quality mults by the way, lots of bed mixes and other things including sand and gravel. If you're putting out a little stone patio, they've got it. They'll deliver within about twenty miles the location and before you head out the door. Just make sure you grab some good quality fertilizers that I talk about here on garden Line, from Microlife and from Nelson's and from Medina and from Nitrophoss. They've got azemite as well, including products by the back from here heirloom soil if you want to just get a small amountain sanemals. All right, let's head out. We're going to go to Kingwood now and visit with Woody this morning. Hello Woody, Welcome to garden Line Point Skip.
Speaker 8: I'm thinking about planting a red maple tree in the fall and was wondering if they'll grow in our zone or our word.
Speaker 2: I would get one of those, it will. I would probably talk to h let's see what can wear you. I would probably you might find some out there at Warren's Southern Garden. Just ask them that they're going to be getting those in. That's that's pretty close to you. I know RCW carries a lot of trees and they grow on themselves, and they're over on kind of the northwest west corner of the Beltway there where two for twenty nine comes into the Beltway. Red maple will grow here. My problem with maples these red maples and others. The branch angles are so narrow, and so you really have to watch it as you train it to make sure you don't have these real narrow vs. Because those are not strong in a storm. As that tree gets older and it presses bark against bark and you don't have a good attachment. So with good training you can do a red maple, but that, in my opinion, is one of its shortcomings.
Speaker 8: Okay, terrific, Well, thank you for your help. I just wanted to make sure for I went out looking for one boy.
Speaker 2: I'm glad you called, and anybody listening, I hope you'll do that because you're talking out a tree that hopefully is going to give you beauty and shade for fifty years. We're going to live another fifty years, right, wouldy? Thank you for the call. I appreciate that. What is this statement? A society is great when old men plant trees under which shade they will never set or something like that. I don't know, you know, in other words, I'm planting a tree for somebody else. I'll enjoy it in the meantime. That works really well. If you're listening to Guardline good heavy with us this morning. If you I mentioned earlier that you know I get out and I do planting. Just all kinds of stuff going on this week. If you want to pick up some quality plants and you're in West Houston, Neilson Nursery and Water Gardens is a place you need to go. Nelson's always has good quality stuff. You know how they specialize in water gardens. I mean they're nationally famous for that. But they also carry a wide variety of plants, some gorgeous pottery, absolutely gorgeous pottery, and everything that you might need if you learn for a gift plant. But I have some nice little indoor house plants that are just beautiful and perfect to give us a gift or grab two and keep on yourself. There you go, what's going on now? Up there is their ding Dang Sale. Did you know they have a sale called the ding Dang Sale. It is on Saturday, June twenty eighth, which happens to be today, and all their clearance items, all kinds of things that you can pick up. Just go buy and check it out. It is one of the best opportunities, I think for you to pick up some really cool stuff. If you've been thinking about putting some containers on your patio. Boy. They have an excellent selection of containers. By the way, if you want to get there, head out I ten West. When you get to Katie Fort Ben Road, out Katie turn north and it's just upstreet a little bit there. West Houston's full service destination garden center. I would say Nelson Nursery and Watergardens if you want to go to the website Nelson Watergardens dot com. You're listening to garden Line if you'd like to give me a call. Number is seven to one three two one two five eight seven four seven one three two one two fifty eight seventy four. I'm gonna get Ty Strickland from fix my Slab on the air here. We're going to have him a little bit later sometime in July, uh and I want to pick his brain about foundational issues because a lot of you know, we got the black clays here in the Houston areas even named after us. It's called Houston black clay. That's the soil scientist's name for it. The the clay shrinks and swells, you know, it gets wet and it swells, it gets dry, shrinks and it directs havoc. That's where you see these sidewalks that are heaved up, and and that and and some tree roots. That's way he cracks in the in the driveways and it affects our slabs too, and ties. He's the expert, and I do want to get him on to talk about the details of this, what people need to know, what they can look for and things. He's been doing this twenty three years. He's an expert. If you want to check, check his website out in the meantime, fixmiyslab dot com. It's fixmyslab dot com. His phone number two eight one two FI five forty nine forty nine. It's been here his whole life. Nati Fewstonian, fifth generation Texan. I guess the thing I like most about uh well, I don't know if it's the most, but a lot about the company. It's something anytime you're going to hire somebody to come to your house to do anything, you're gonna want these three things. And these three things describe fix my slab and ty Strickland. That's on time, fair price fixed right, on time, fair price fixed right. That's what we want. So anyway we're gonna get him in here and I'm gonna pick his brain. If you got some questions. When I have these guests in, you're welcome to call in on the topic that they are talking about. Today. I'm going to have starting at the eight o'clock hour, someone from tex A and M Horticulture Department who is a fruit specialist. We're gonna be talking about fruit trees for your yard and all kinds of things. You got some questions you want to call in for well eight o'clock. We may run all the way to ten on that one, but we'll be glad to take your questions on those things. The summer days are a little slower and I try to cover as many of the different topics as we can. I know a lot of you have enjoyed some of the guests that we've had, and so that's what we're going to be doing here in the summertime. Tey, what, let's's run out to Kingwood again and we are going to visit with Howard. Hello, Howard, welcome to garden Line.
Speaker 9: Good morning, Thank you. I have a couple of lots up there on the lake. Let me sten and they were the bullhead was blown out back in August. Rough whenever the hurricane came through and I finally got it fixed. Apparently there were a lot of bull kids boat houses destroyed. But anyway, I got the bulkhead in, I got a lot of dirt put in, and now I was thinking about to putting grass down. And uh, the guy I was talking to, well, you may not want to put permuta in, just put some.
Speaker 10: This or that.
Speaker 9: Now what should I put down over this dirt that was put back down over the lots?
Speaker 2: Okay? Is this a Is this an area where you want a really nice lawn where kids are rolling around and playing and things, or is this an area where you just want something green on the ground and you're in a mow it. But but it needs to be tough and and not need as much TLC right the second second one.
Speaker 9: I'm not going to plant a tree for somebody else, but I don't want to spend a fortune already spend a fortune with bulkheads.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, you know that every grass has its pros and cons. Saint Augustine, you need to water pretty often and uh, but it's pros. It grows in deeper shade than than most anything. Uh Uh, there is Bermuda takes over the world. It'll crawl into every flower bed you got. The more it regularly, it gets tiggers if the kids are rolling around in it.
Speaker 11: Uh.
Speaker 2: And then there's Zoisia, which is a good tough grass, but it needs regular mowing to look its best. And and uh with a good good mower.
Speaker 12: Uh.
Speaker 2: There is a grass that is some people love it and some people don't, and that is Behea grass. Behea grass does very well in areas like yours, but it sends up seed heads almost knee high, you know, the little seed heads, like a few days after you mow, you got them coming up. I mean they I guess they detract from it a little bit. But if you want a grass that you can drive a car on, and I mean you can just just nobody has to really water unless we go into a drought. Uh, it's one you can do that. You just got to keep it mode down so it doesn't because it will get taller. But it makes a decent lawn. They use it in Florida for lawns quite a bit. My hey, BAJE like the mission b.
Speaker 3: A, but I really don't know the grass.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, you know, if I jump on you know your search engine, Google or whatever and and just type in baheya b a h I A grass and learn a little bit about it. University of Florida has got some really good information out there on it. We don't have it as a turf grass on our anim Texas turf page, at least I haven't seen it on there, but I have been around a new Christmas tree farm. They used it for the parking area. Kept it mode so short you felt like you were walking on the lawn. And it's tough. It's tough, all right, Hey, yeah, I am too.
Speaker 9: Well congressibly class sixty any.
Speaker 2: Well, well, good, hey, but just look at it carefully because anybody who's thinking lawn bhea is not, you know, in the top for a lawn, but for a mode area that you don't have to worry about a lot. You just need a good more to get out there and get over it. Okay, Well, thank you, skip all right, make sure you like it. I don't want you calling me back and saying, well, yes, no lawn. I thank you, Howard and Gig you take care all right? Uh yeah, appreciate that.
Speaker 10: Uh.
Speaker 2: Boss Nursery is down in Kingwood, Texas. Kingwood, Texas. Good night. Where am I coming from? Seabrook, Texas. Seabrook, everybody in that region knows Moss Nursery. Moss has an awesome, awesome selection of anything that you could possibly want, and they really do. It's a bit right now. I'm excited about the hibiscus that they've gotten in. These are the perennial hibiscus, the kind they come back each year. They do really, really well. And if you are a collector of plants and you like things, you want something for a very wet area, or you need something for a shady area, or you want something that just bowls people over with gaudy color. Mos Nursery's got that and more. M AA S Nursery dot com. M aa S Nursery dot com two eight one four seven four twenty four eighty eight two eight one four seven four two four eight eight. Better yet, go down and visit them. It's eight acres to wander around. It is a family owned operation, has been for a very long time. I love going down to Mos Nursery. Take a lottle break for the news here and I'll be back. Good morning, and welcome back to the garden line. Good to have you with us. Hey, if you got a gardening question seven one three two one two fifty eight seventy four seven one three two one two fifty eight seventy four, or simply K t r H. Makes it really easy. I was outside yesterday with a friend and we're walking around just I don't know, standing over in an area kind of where actually where we put our trash cans to roll out of the road and little secluded spots like that are always mosquito magnets, you know, you go around to. But it was a time of day toward the end of the day too, and I just I just noticed I wasn't getting bitten by mosquitos, and it's like, that's wonderful. That is a good thing. Best Bros. Is the one that provides the mosquito buckets that I use, and it basically they come out and they service them. But you need to you need to give them a call and find out more about these things. They are great. I mean they attract the mosquitos in the mosquitos lay eggs. The eggs never become adult mosquitoes, and the mosquitos when they do that, they carry with them stuff. And one of the things they carry with them keeps mosquitos from growing in another location. These are things that aren't going to hurt your birds and fish, and you know, all kinds of things like that. One of them is a disease that kills the mosquito itself, which I think is the best thing for a mosquito to die, along agonizing death from a fungus. That's my idea of a happy thought for those of you who don't like mosquitos, you know what I'm talking about. If you want to get in touch with the pest Bros for other things, you know, fire ants out in the yard, termite protection. They can do a ten year termite protection around your house. It's a little trench and it's just the minimum amount of concern. You know, you got your pets out there. You don't want to nuke everything with insecticides. They know how to do it, they know how to treat effectively, they know how to do it in a safe manner, and they cover other things. You know, if you've got rodents outside, they're causing a problem. If you've got cockroaches inside, they'll cover you on those things. Thepestbros dot Com. The pestbros dot Com two eight one two oh six forty six and give them a call to eight one two oh six forty six seventy. Let them come out and take a look at your place. Make it, you know. And I don't want to say mosquito free, because in nature there's no such thing as past free. Okay. I can have a yard where I don't think I have any fire ins, and almost a sudden one day I walk by and there's a firet mound over there. And it takes a whall to do that. But you can do that. But mosquito's down to a level where you hardly notice them here and there. Because that's just great. My neighbor told me the other day that they've had less mosquitos in their yard as a result of my buckets over there, and that's true. I got a couple of buckets that are on our shared line, so they're even benefiting from it. Boy, if you could get a whole neighborhood to do that, we might get close to mosquito free from that as well. Have you ever been to Enchanted Forest, it's down there in if you're in Richmond Rosenberg area and your head up fifty nine or sixty nine, it's down twenty seven fifty nine.
Speaker 10: Just do this.
Speaker 2: Go to the website. It's a great website. Enchanted Forest, Richmond, TX dot com. Enchented Forest, Richmond, TX dot com. They have all kinds of cool stuff right now. They got a lot of good shade loving stuff. Stuff that's kind of off the radar a lot of times for folks. But things like the rock rose, a little Mexican petunia called Katie. The stays real short. It's almost like a little a rioty sized plant. American beauty beary. Now there's a good one that in the fall when it loses its leaves, the berries are just gorgeous on it. They have turk's cap. I've got turks got in my yard. It is a hummingbird magnet. They love that and sun shade. It is Unfazed Texas native wonderful plant. Of course. They have it down there while you're there. If you need to do some things to create a more type of soil. They carry microlife s acidifire fertilizer, they carry a rosa from nature's way, and and they just know how to provide you with the plants that are going to do well here. I love it every time. I go by the way. You know, it's getting hot out there. When you go to Enchanted Forest, you're going to stroll through the shade of some big old trees that I just think that's wonderful and I enjoy getting to shop around the place. Still good time to plant herbs, and they've got them Enchanted Forest, Richmond, TX dot com. Go check them out. Last time I was down there, I was just amazed by the pollinator plants that they have. So many. If you want to attract butterflies, they'll sell you the things that the adults come to. They'll sell you the things that the larva feet on. So you're raising baby butterflies right there on your property, and they oftentimes even have a larva or two around. They'll let you take it home. You can take them home on those plants and get your own It's kind of like a sour dough starter, right, get your own starter going on on those. I was mentioning that I'm gonna do some planning this afternoon. Something else. I'm gonna be away from the house a little bit and I've got to do some preparations for that. And I've got some plants that they need to be watered more often, and with me around, that's fine. But when I'm gone, I don't, I can't do it. I'll typically get a kiddie pool, a kitty waiting pool, you know those things I'm talking about. And when I had that, I will take that pool, put about maybe maybe two inches of water, and depends on the plants that I'm setting in there, and I set them in that pool, and that's a quantity of water in a wide area, and it wakes up from the bottom of the plants. And so I can be gone for two weeks and you know they'll be getting dry by the time I get back because the water level drops. But that really works well. The only thing you need to do is throw some mosquito dunks in there, or I say some throw a mosquito dunk in there, because it'll float and release the disease of mosquitoes keeps the larvae from growing for like a month. Those of you who heard us last week, I talked to someone from a mosquito dunks and kind of picked their brains on all of this. But if you have a little waiting pool, those are cheap, cheap, cheap. Buy them at any kind of store that sells cheap stuff. The addition of a mosquito dunk will allow you to be gone. I would say two weeks. If just watch your plants. A little four inch plant will be drowning in two inches of water, but a taller one won't. But anyway, this will work. Just don't forget to do the mosquito dunks. You can buy them anywhere. They got them at feed stores, they got them at the garden centers I talk about all the time. Ace hardware stores have mosquito dunks. Wherever you want to go, You're going to find plenty of opportunities for that. So there's a little tip for those you're planning on going on a vacation. Be gone a little bit. That's a great way to do it. Phone number is seven one three two one two k t r H seven one three two one two kt r H. Also, need to get out and put new bird seed in the feeders. I looked out the other day and it's all gone. They just cleaned it out, and they like it. Because I'm using the Wildbirds Unlimited Nesting super Blend, and this is one designed by wild Birds Unlimited. It's sold only at Wildbirds Unlimited it's got really cool stuff. They love, you know, sunflower chips, dried mealworms, Oh my gosh, they love those, bark butter bits, sap, flower tree nuts. It's it's got the calcium in things. Birds are still nesting, by the way, so keep on feeding it. There's six wild Birds Unlimited stores in the Greater Houston area, so you can go to this website WBU dot com forward Slash Houston. WBU like wild Birds Unlimited WBU dot com Forward Slash Houston. If you are over in Kingwood on Kingwood Drive, if you're in clear Lake on Eldrado Boulevard. In Parland, there's one on East Broadway in West Houston on Memorial Drive, in Southwest Houston on bel Air and then up in Cypress on Barker Cypress. It's easy to find a wild Bird's Unlimited store. They carry the best blends of seeds that are stuff birds want to eat, not stuff they're going to kick on the ground. Take a little break here and we'll be back if you'd like to be first up seven one three two one two k t RH Welcome back to guard Line. Good to have you with us. If you are looking for a place that has every kind of supply tool you name it, that you might need. It's Southwest Fertilizer. And I don't care where you live, It's worth a trip over there. It's been in Houston lawn and garden tradition since nineteen fifty five, long time, because they do it right. Every fertilizer that you hear me talk about, is it Southwest fertilizer. And then some when you talk about weed control products, when you talk about insect controls, when you talk about fungicide, and you may be hearing that going well, I'm organic, okay. The largest organic selection in the greater Houston area that I've ever seen. It is huge, huge, ninety foot wall of tools. You know, Felco, Corona quality brands like that. You hear me talk about the garden kneeling bench or kneeling seat. They've got that you want to make my weed wiper. They got the little tool you used to make the weed bay. They have it all. And you can carry a problem in there on a picture.
Speaker 10: You can.
Speaker 2: You can have a little sample in a bag. Let them put a pair of eyes on it. Southwest Bob and his team, they'll figure out what it is and they'll point you at the product that works for it. Corner of Bissonet and Runwick in Southwest Houston. Southwest Fertilizer dot Com seven to one, three sixty six six seventeen forty four. We're going to go now out to Galveston and talk to Laura. Hello, Laura, Welcome to garden Line.
Speaker 13: Good morning.
Speaker 14: It's nice to talk to you.
Speaker 2: Good to talk to you.
Speaker 14: And Uh, I had sent you some pictures last night and I'm calling about the largest yew tree in Texas. Uh, we have a certificate that they came down and gave us for this. You is on the property of Grace Episcopal Church in Galveston, and it has a ground cover that's growing around it. To me, it looks like asiatic jasmine, something like that, and it climbing, yeah, climbing up into the tree and in the branches it's completely encircled drunk. And I need to know whether that's dangerous to the tree and we should remove it, or it's harmless.
Speaker 2: But it's really a great Most people will, yeah, most people trim the jasmine around the bottom and any thing above where you cut is going to turn brown and die. But eventually jasmine is. If it was English ivy, I would say it's going to crawl all over your tree and shade out all the leaves and not going to be good. I would trim it just for aesthetic reasons, but it's not as far as is it going to hurt the tree? Probably not? Uh, probably not. But uh, trimming it is easy. You just cut it all at the bottom and then everything above that's going to die. If somebody wants to pull out some of it that is at the base that's brown, because you don't want to see the dead jasmine, you can do.
Speaker 14: That, okay, Okay, well, yep, that's what We'll clean the trunk off. And I have some of it growing in my yard. What what can you do to get rid of it?
Speaker 2: Asian Asian jasmine? Uh huh uh yeah there. It depends on where it's growing. Is it growing among desirable plants or is it.
Speaker 11: In the gras a lawn?
Speaker 2: Oh, Asian chasmine and the lawn, I would just I would pull it. You're gonna have to pull it out.
Speaker 7: Okay.
Speaker 2: There are sprays that will kill it, but they're not. Your lawn's not going to do well with those sprays, So okay, all right, cut it.
Speaker 10: Border.
Speaker 2: Well, I guess just create a border and just make that when it crosses the line, you just chop it, you know, take a WEEEDI or whatever cut it back when it cuts the line. But it will get out of hand in time. But it looks happy. Everything looks happy, including that huge, very good tree.
Speaker 14: It is, thank you, gorgeous tree. It fell over in Hurricane Carla, and everybody said, oh, we got to chop it down, and the people pulled it back up and braced it for years and years and so it survived. It's a very big, happy tree.
Speaker 2: Do they know how old it is?
Speaker 14: I would say easily sixty sixty to seventy years old.
Speaker 2: Well, that's that is cool. I appreciate that. Hey, Laura, thank you for the call. You take care and good luck with the That's a wonderful, wonderful tree. If you have out the Arborgate, you need to go. I don't care what season it is. You could be the middle of summer and there's a ton of stuff you can't live without at the Arburgate. At least that's how I feel when I walk through a beautiful, beautiful, heat tolerant shade tolerant. Whatever you're looking for, they've got it there at the Arborgate. Now they're a mile and a half west of two forty nine on twenty nine to twenty, just west of Humble. I'm always talking about preparing your soil. They've got bags of their one two three completely easy system, and that's a food that feeds anything with roots, a fertilizer, a soil for any application, and a compost that improves any and all soil. And the soil and the compost both have some expended shale in them as well, which is a very longer term benefit to the clay. You can buy the last to the soil and the compost by bulk and they'll deliver it to you wherever you live. Just give them a call there at Arbrogate, talk to them. The Arborgate is a place to anybody who's garden here for two minutes has already known about and been out there. Remember they got that nice parking lot in the back. And whether you're looking for landscape, bling or a plant that laughs at our Houston summers, they're going to be able to get you covered there at Arburgate. They take time to walk through with you It's just a great place, great place to visit. I love it. I always love it, and I do swing by there because there's always something new coming in. I just don't think I've ever been there where wass not a shipment in the back being unloaded of plants. Someone called a while ago from Livingstone talking about the storm, the hurricane that came through and what the damage that it did. Affordable Tree Service is who you need to call, not after the hurricane, but now it's hurricanes. See is here and is your is your yard ready? That's what you need to know. A top heavy tree, a weak limb can turn into really major damage. Don't wait until it's too late. You're want to protect your home. You want to protect your trees and themselves. You do in order to break apart your fences and God forbid your neighbor's home. And Affordable Tree Service is our garden line recommended arborist for this area, and they have been for a very long time because they have decades of experience. Martin Spoon Moore give them a call seven to one three six nine nine twenty six sixty three seven one three six nine nine two six six three. If you want to go to the website see all the services they offer a fftree Service dot com and they do anything you're gonna need, printing, deeper feeding, pests, disease control, stump grinding. If you're gonna do any kind of construction around a tree that can that is a potential for great damage to a tree, called Martin having come out there and look at it, advise you and they know what to do. But do it before the problem, whether the problem is construction or a hurricane. And it's time. We're there in the season. Affordable Tree Service seven to one three six ninety nine two six six three. They will take care of it and make sure it's done right. Well, let's see here. I'm about to hear some music in my ears because we're hitting the top of the hour. We'll be back with your calls if you'd like to be first up when we come back. Seven one three two one two KTRH. Seven one three two one two KTRH. Remember during the eight o'clock and probably nine o'clock hour, we're going to have doctor Tim Hartman, who is a fruit specialist with texas A and m Agrolife Extension. Term's a friend. I'm going to work with for many years. Come in and talk to us about backyard fruit. So if you got a fruit question, that'd be a great time to call. We'll have him here for a couple hours. Uh, just give us a call. You are wanting to plant fruit, If you've got fruit that's having some issues, let's let's talk about it. Between Tim and and myself, we probably put our heads together and and tackle whatever kinds of questions you might have. Looking forward to that. It's been a while since I've seen Tim doctor Hartman. There you go, all right, go get you a cup of coffee. That's what I'm about to do. Alrighty, we're back. Hey, thanks for thanks for tuning in this morning. We always appreciate the opportunity to visit with you about gardening. You'd like to give me a call about that, and you can do so at seven one three two one two k t r H seven to one three two one two k t r H began as Native Plants has some events that's going on. I want to just let you know about these. And you know how I always tell you to listen to Garden Line with a pen and paper nearby so you can write some stuff down on let's see on July the nineteenth, creating the Garden of your Dreams. They're gonna have a free class on creating the Garden of your Dreams July nineteenth. On August second, there'll be one on starting a cut flower garden. You want to go to this one because this fall you could start your cut flower garden. On August sixteenth, they'll be growing fall tomatoes. The one on raised bed gardening on the twenty third, and one on starting Texas Native Plants on August thirtieth. Then you know Buchanan specializes in natives. They are, you know, just the leader when it comes to that. You're not gonna find a bigger selection in natives anywhere than Buchanna's plants as well as experts that know about them. You can give them a call seven one three eight six one fifty seven two. You can give them a call there. All right, just go see him a little eleventh Street in the Heights, by the way. The website you need to write this one down and bookmarket Buchanan's Plants dot com. We're going to go now to Richmond, Texas and talk to Linda. Hello, Linda, Welcome to garden Line.
Speaker 7: Thank you.
Speaker 2: Can I help you.
Speaker 13: Yes, I.
Speaker 7: Have a brick home with the driveway, just a typical Texas home. Built it ten years ago and the builder put in a crape myrtle right by the corner of my garage.
Speaker 2: It was the.
Speaker 7: Midnight lilac, one of the smaller but it is a tree, not a bush, and it got out of hand and last fall it was messy and dirty and just got a bit too big for where it was placed by the builder. I had my landscaper take it out and put in a smaller shrub in that spot last November and this year in June. Guess what popped up through the mult.
Speaker 2: I kind of I know what happens when you've cut a great myrtle off. Yeah, that's right. So you want to have to get rid of it.
Speaker 7: How do I get rid of it without damaging the other bush?
Speaker 2: M what you do?
Speaker 15: Have to dig the whole thing up?
Speaker 2: No, No, here's what you're gonna do. If you can go to my web. First of all, if you go to my website, everything I'm about to tell you, you can see picture of it. You can. It gives you detailed instructions on how to get rid of it.
Speaker 15: Forgive me.
Speaker 7: I'm elderly and don't don't use the computer, so I depend on you.
Speaker 2: Not a problem here we go, all right, You want to get a product ingredient called tri clo peer t r I c l O p y R. That's the ingredient. That's not the brand name. There's many brands of it, but t R I c l O p y R. If you're in Richmond, you've got some ACE Hardware stores there that are gonna carry it. You're gonna be able to find it at your at your local your local Ace Hardware's you know which direction that I don't know. I haven't been in there. I usually don't do that because I need people that are and what we're talking about. So if you go out to uh Richmond Rosenberg UH area Ace Hardware is find triclop pere, find a product with that. Now, what's gonna somebody cut that off? Cut it off again, but not until you got the triclopere right there. And taking a little like a little sponge paint stick. If you go to you know, like you said, home depot, you go to home depot and get those little sticks in the paint department that have a sponge on the end. That's that's what you want. And you're going to put the triclo piers straight, not cutting it and not spraying it. You're going to dab it straight onto the fresh cuts that you make. So let's just say this gets cut off within an hour. You need to be putting the tricle pair on there just so. Okay, you're wait too long and it's not as effective. So anyway, dab it on and it'll move down in the plant and it'll work. Now you may have another resprout, but you can dab it on again. It's not hard to do. Put the minimum amount of pesticide out there in the environment.
Speaker 7: Do you thank you? Do you know if those roots go you know, several feet in yards underground, are they just kind of localized around it?
Speaker 2: They probably go out in all directions as high as the crape myrtle tree is.
Speaker 7: Understand. Okay, so you can't pull it out necessarily, you have to kill it.
Speaker 2: Well, I mean with a lot of work in digging and Thomas sprout shows up, you can dig that root out. Hey, I got to run, Linda, good luck with that. I appreciate appreciate you calling in Yeah, that technique is on what on my website it's called it's called controlling woody Weeds in the landscape, and it tells you exactly what to do. Whether we could be talking about yo ponts, we could be talking about poison ivy, we could be talking about hackberry coming up along the fence line. Because the birds spoop the seeds out there, it works.
Speaker 10: Uh.
Speaker 2: Jorge Hiding Gardens down south of the Houston area is it's just a great garden center to find all kinds of things. You know, seasonally you're gonna find different kinds of vegetables and flowers and whatnot. He is an outstanding selection of all kinds of fruit. You know, if you're looking for avocados, you're looking for various kinds of citrus, all blueberries. And then I was over there this spring and my gosh, I couldn't believe on any peaches and apples and pears and everything else he had. He is on Elizabeth Street. It's an Alvin, Texas address, but he's actually located in between Alvin and Santa Fe And so you just head down six and you're gonna end up turning south and to Elizabeth Street. Once I can't say the number one even seven Elizabeth Street south of Highway six between Alvin and Santa Fe. Go check him out, all of you down there in those areas, like I'll go on Arcadia and Alta Loma and Hillcrest and certainly Santa Fe and Alvin. This is your hometown garden center seven one three six three two fifty two ninety seven one three six three two fifty two ninety. By the way, he carries that three sixty tree stabilizer I talk about all the time as well. So there, he's a great guy too, has a lot of fun, and you will enjoy shopping. I've had more than one person tell me how much they enjoy shopping there. I was talking about ACE Hardware just a second ago with Linda, and you know ACE Hardware's are all over the place. Let's just well, if you go to ACE Hardware Texas dot com, Ace Hardware Texas dot Com, and you can find all the ones that are in the Greater Houston area. And when I say Greater Houston, I mean all the way down to Corpus and all the way over to Orange and everything. They got you covered. So League City, ACE on West League City Parkway is an example. You go up to Porter Jnr's ACE on FM thirteen fourteen out in Lake Conroe one oh five West Highway one oh five West, there's Lake Conroy's Hardware, Rockport, Texas. Hello, all of you listening from Rockport, Rockport ACE on State Highway thirty five North, Hardware City on Memorial Drive on the west side of Houston. See what I mean. They're everywhere, But there's a lot more than that. Whether you need quality tools, if you need fertilizer for the summer fertilizing we're doing. If you need pest control, if you need gardening gardening tools as well as well as quality hand tools for building and fixing stuff, They've got you covered at ACE Hardware. I'm gonna take a little break and we'll be right back with your calls. Alrighty, welcome back to guarden Line. Good have you with us this week. By the way, if you don't follow me on on Facebook, it is a gardener. It's garden Line. My name is garden Line on Facebook. You should because we post stuff up there that is I think very helpful and informative. Just yesterday I posted something pictures of a plant my daughter she has a little ficus, it's the Fiddley fig ficus, and it was like pale yellow and it wasn't looking good and it wasn't growing, and I was afraid that thing, maybe it's got root rides, can die. I gave her some Medina has to grow six twelve six plant food. I got little sample bottles. They give those out, a little tiny sample bottles, and it just said put this in the water and watered a couple of times, you know, a little sample bottle made made two gallons of it. So she made it and watered it with it and did it again. And I posted the pictures and it's the before and then twice over the course of about a month, the after, and it is. It's obviously helped. It's a turning darker green and it's already putting out new growth. And Medina has to grow six to twelve six is a great plant food period. I use it a lot, and when we come to transplanting, because at hyphosphorus you had a really good boost for your root system there. But this product at bottom lines, it works. It's got the six twelve six nutrients and it it also has Medina sol activator humate humic acid which helps the sole structure and the seaweed extracts too. It's it's a concoction that really works. And so follow me on a Facebook a garden line. Follow garden line on Facebook and check it out. I think that you'll see it's pretty amazing. I was like, man, I got to post this thing. This is cool. Medina products are available everywhere. You know, you go to feed store, you go to an ace hardware store, you go to a garden center, you're not gonna have trouble finding Medina products. And there's a whole bunch of them. Someone had sent me a question about a lawns and with some photos, and the lawn just is not doing good. It's struggling. It's I don't know. They tell me they're fertilizing it. You know, they're watering it and stuff, but it just kind of, I don't know, it's just thin. And when it's thin, you get weeds. And nobody wants weeds, and nobody wants to have to put out all the products to control weeds. If you can avoid having to do that, well, BMB churros Well. I told the person that I call me, is you need to get it corrated and then have accomplished top dressing put down on it. It really does work. And BnB turf Pros they're the ones down south of Houston. They cover the area from Sugarland and Missouri City on the northeast east end all the way down Highway six and over across forty five to Dickinson and League City Pairland Friends with all those communities they cover. BB turf Pros in the website, there's not an end. BB Turfpros dot com. Bbturfpros dot com. Take a look at what they do. They really are about. I've talked to them a number of times about a different things, but bottom line is they are about making sure the customer is happy. And it's because it's a relationship to them. They want to ensure your satisfaction and they do a great job. Prices start around five hundred dollars depending on the yard size. Not far they have to travel because it is a bulky process, but compared to putting in a new lawn, if you've got some good grass in there, let them come to a compost top dressing a corporation and you will see some good results. BB Turpros dot com. We're gonna go out now to Deer Park and talk to Alan. Hello, Alan, welcome to garden Line.
Speaker 11: Good morning. How you doing today?
Speaker 2: Doing well?
Speaker 11: I got a question about zoysia grass. What's a good fertilizer.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the fertilizers that I talk about here on garden Line are all good for ysia. Zosia needs a little less fertilizer than Saint Augustine because you don't want to you don't want to overstimulate it to grow. It's thick enough as it is.
Speaker 10: But you do.
Speaker 2: You prefer.
Speaker 11: Huh and nitre Foss Imperial and I was told not to use that on soy shoe.
Speaker 2: That's not correct. Nitrofuss Imperial, the red bag is fine on any grass.
Speaker 16: Uh.
Speaker 2: Now, they may have told you that because it's an immediate release. When you put it out, it dissolves with water, irrigation or rain, and it's immediately available usually during the summertime. If you look at my schedule which is online at Gardeningwithskip dot com, I'm recommending silver releases. So you mentioned nitrophas, the silver bag, Nitrofos superturf is the one that you're going to want to go go with super turf will give you about Yeah, it'll give you like four months of feeding, so it'll carry you all the way up into your fall fertilization, which is going to be in October. But go with the super turf and it gives you a gradual feed and you don't just get a flush of growth and you're mowing a lot. And when you overfertilize with nitrogen, it means the grass has less roots, which is a weird thing, but that's how it is. So switch over to the superturf now. And yes, yeah, if it you know, if it's looking great and everything, you don't have fertilized as much. But if you're trying to get it and give it a boost, that's very important.
Speaker 11: Yeah. Well it's not looking it's looking good, but I've seen it look better. So I'm just curious what would be a good fertilizer to put.
Speaker 2: On it and help it out. And you've helped it a lot. All right, sir, thanks for call. Appreciate that, Alan, Good luck with that. Yep, Zlisia does need to be fertilized, just not as much as Saint Augustine. If you've been to plants for all seasons. Plants for All Seasons is up there on FM two forty nine, which is Tomball Parkway, just north of where Lueta comes in to Tomball Parkway. And it's been there a long time since the seventies. You know, these folks, they've lived here, they've gardened here, They've answered ten bazillion questions from customers helping them have success. I've been in so many many times, and you walk in, you look around, and I can tell you that they carry products for what you need done. They do from the fertilizers to pest and weed and disease control to really quality tools. They've got a lot of new tool a new tool wall section that has really quality tools. Can you buy once and there are a lifetime tool to take care of them. Now, right now, you're going to find some beautiful plants for summer, some dazzling color, and you're going to find plants for shady areas. Whatever you need, it's there at Plants for All Seasons. Just remember when you go in, if you've got a photo or a sample, you can take it in and they'll diagnose it for you and point you in the right direction if you if you would like to have that kind of assistance. Plants for all seasons dot com two eight, one, three, seven, six, sixteen forty six. You are listening to Garden Line. I'm your host, Skip Richter, and we're here to help you have a bountiful garden and beautiful garden, beautiful landscape as well, and as I like to say, and the most important part, more fun, more fun in the process. I was talking to somebody the other day and we were talking about weeds and lawns, and you know, what one person's idea of a beautiful lawn is and what another's isn't always the same. Some people want perfect green lawns, as if it looks like AstroTurf out. I mean, it's just solid green, not a weed insight. Other people know that certain kinds of weeds are food for bees. I had a lady on Doctor Wrangel the other day on the show, and we were talking about bees, honey bees and the things they like. And I'm telling you there's a lot of the lawn weeds, not all lawn weaeds, but some that attract honeybees. And for some people that is a plus. Okay, Now I know some of you are going I don't understand that. Well, a lot of things I don't understand too, But however you want to do it. That's a fun thing about gardening. It's between you and the hoa. Let me just say that, make the front yard look good. In the backyard, do what you want to do. But if you want perfect gardening, perfect gardens and everything, you can do that. We can advise you. You can do that. It's easy to have success. And when you just get good information, that's the most important part. Like I like to say, you don't have a brown thumb, you have an uninformed thumb. And if you'll call in the garden line, we will inform your thumb. And then suddenly the landscape, the garden, the orchard, everything just looks a lot lot better and we can do that. Happy to do that, but to each his own U. There is a German phrase yeadis tirkin sign pleasirkin. Why am I saying that every creature has this pleasure? And boy is that true with gardening. Go have fun, don't feel like you got to do it a certain way and all this and you know, if I talk to them in one time that was worried about their flowers and are these colors going to go well together. Do you like them together? Land them? I don't care where they are on the color wheel. You do what you want. Have fun in your garden. There you go. I just gave you permission to do whatever you want to do in your guard. It's it's let it make you happy. Let it be fulfilling to you. For me, it's therapy, and it's a lot cheaper in therapy too. By the way, Houston Powder Coaders is the biggest powder coder here in this region. They're up there in North Houston. If you send them a picture of your metal, your outdoor metal, furniture or decorative or any outdoor metal that you want to get a powder coat on. By the way, powder coating is way better than painting, they will send you a quote. Sales at Houstoncoders dot Com is the email, or just go to their website Houston Powdercoders dot com. Houston Powdercoders dot com. If your stuff's a little not so great, maybe it's a little rusty, or maybe bolts are falling out that are holding it together, or the straps, you know, the straps and sling fabric and everything on. Some kinds of furniture. They can fix that up and when you get back, it's going to be like new. Over one hundred collars that you get to choose from. Here's the website Houston Powdercoders dot com. Here's the number two eight one six seven six thirty eight eighty eight two eight one six seven six thirty eight eighty eight. They do free pick up and delivery in the Greater Houston area as well. Oh well, I'm looking at the clock and the clock says time for the news at the bottom of the hour here, So we're gonna go ahead and do that. We'll be back with your questions. If you'd like to be first up, give my producer Alejandro call and we will get you on the board and talk about the things that are of interest to you at seven one three two one two kt r H seven one three two one two kt r H. When I come back, I want to talk a little bit about using combinations of plants to have beauty around the landscape or to have bounty if you're growing vegetables around the landscape. So don't let me forget. I want to spend a little bit of time on that as well as your calls appreciate the fact that you're listening to your guardline. By the way, this morning. I love talking to gardeners. That and sitting in my gardener my two happy places that I enjoy and so appreciate you listening, and we do not take that for granted. All right. Nelson Plant Food has a number of different products, and I want to tell you about the turf Star line. Turf Star is several fertilizers that are in the Turf Star line, but the Slow and Easy is the one that I want to talk about right now. I was just talking to somebody about drag out your fertilizing. Don't dump it all on you know, all the nitrogen at one time on your summer lawn. Slow and Easy does that for you. You put it down now and it's going to feed you all the way up to your fall fertilization. It's got great nutritions. There are some substances in it that help us sidify the soil as well, which when you get that pH if it's a little high, you start to see that yellowing in your grass, you know, the light yellowing in the green and yellow striped grass blades. That's ourn deficiency bringing the pH down slowly over time, can help grow yourself out of that situation. Very good nutrient supplies of carbon for microbes. It's a good product. Turf Stars Slow and Easy from Nelson Plant Food. You're going to find these products everywhere. While you're there shopping for your lawn, you need to pick up a couple of their specialty products. They have a Palm and Ornamental grasses product that's in the Nutri Star line Palm and Ornamental Grasses, and they have a boog and vill you one too. Whatever kind of plant you're looking for, that Nutri star Line is going to carry the probably a fertilizer with your plant's name on it, and if not, one that goes very well with your plant. I use the boot and Billy on several other different species as well because it works very very well. And you can refill the jars two in about a dozen places around town, which is economical and keeps from throwing that plastic in the environment. Let's go to the heights. We're going to talk to Ron this morning. Hey, Ron, welcome to garden Line.
Speaker 15: Good on.
Speaker 17: Good morning, Skip. I send you a picture of my weed that's in the front yard, and I asked you last week if I should just sowd over it or do I need to kill it?
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's a booger.
Speaker 16: Uh.
Speaker 2: The weeds, weeds that are in that same family as a wandering jew. Uh, they're kind of sort of in between grasses and broad leaves in a sense. Grassy killers aren't that great on them. Broad leaf killers aren't that great on them.
Speaker 18: Uh.
Speaker 2: Some people hand removal as a possibility, but boys, that ever work and you don't get it all. So you have to be so diligent at it that most people are not gonna are not going to be able.
Speaker 19: To And of course, and that's what I have.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, that's what you have. Yeah that Uh, it's not basket grass, but it's it's closely related to that same kind of results. It does well in shady areas, even a little too shady for your lawn. You have this stuff growing in it and doing well.
Speaker 10: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Some people, Yeah, go ahead, Yeah, some people will what they'll do run as they'll they'll just kill an area and then put grass back in it. And that is drastic. But if it's spread too far, that's probably not practical to do. But it can be controlled. It just I can't point you at a specific we control product that you can put on it. If you hire a landscaper, they're going to have access to some things that you don't that might be able to to kind of shut it down a little bit. The main thing is don't let it get it, get a start, and pull it back and stay on it pulling it back.
Speaker 20: Oh, it's already got because I don't have I don't have good QUI answers for those weeds. I hate them because they know it's I'm yeah, I'm behind the power curve on this one, so I guess I'll Yeah, I was thinking about just weed eating it, down it to nothing, but you said it'll grow back even with new sad over the top. You're saying, okay, well.
Speaker 2: I'll have to I've never tried. Yeah, I've never tried putting new sawd over it. But yeah, you could kill it with gliphas as you said, it will kill that. But okay, yeah, not good options.
Speaker 12: I know.
Speaker 2: Hey, Hey, keep listening. I'm gonna and a break. I'm gonna check on and see if I can find any suggestion on that. I'm gonna look at some other state information because there's anything out there. I want to be able to provide it all right, Thank you, Ron, I appreciate the calls. Mhm, you bet yeah. Those weeds are a bugger. Have you ever tried to kill purple heart? I love purple heart, d purple in a sunny areas, a lighter purple and in the shady air, it's great. But you spray that with round up and it won't kill it. I'm telling you it won't kill it. Some crazy crazy thing anyway. RCW Nursery is having a sale right now. By the way, I didn't want to forget to tell you that, twenty five percent off of crate myrtles. And they've got all kinds, you know. Creat myrtles are red. Great myrtles are write and pink and lavender. They have the purples, they have different sizes. You go out there and you say, look, I've got it. I need a crepe myrtle, and I need it to be just twelve feet high, no taller than that, or I want a big one to make a shade tree. Natchez is a good one for that, by the way. But they've got them, and again, twenty five percent off's a good sale. And can you plant a great myrtle in June. Yes, you can. You're just gonna want to water it regularly at the base and it will establish. People plant all through the year. They can do that. While you're out at RCW two, by the way, check out their other color still got boom and Ballos. They've got the out the shrub rows of Sharon is another name for it. It looks outstanding. Listen, we got plants that can look good, and we just need to plant the ones that can. You know, the gold Star Esperanza looks good even in the heat. We have the Pride of Barbados. It looks good even in the out At RCW they got the Cajun series of hibiscus that are outstanding even in the heat. RCW Nurseries, by the way, is where Tamball Park went and Beltwegh eight come together. RCW Nurseries dot Com, RCW Nurseries dot Com. Let's now head out to sugar Land and we're going to visit with Craig. Hello, Craig, Hey, good morning, Skip.
Speaker 11: Hey, I got a problem with my front flower bed.
Speaker 2: It gets full song.
Speaker 10: You know, I have a couple of rosebushes of sago palms. I just can't keep it weed free. And what I'm noticed over the years, it's like a vine like weed that grows and it's got deep, a deep root. It's like the motherboard that creates these vines. But if you find that main one which is very deep and it's hard to pull out at the doug on near, you know, shovel it out with a small hand shovel. But I just can't keep it weed free.
Speaker 2: What can I do?
Speaker 10: I just I don't want to kill my rose bushes on.
Speaker 2: So yeah, for sure. So there's there's two ways that that these weeds are invaded in your bed. One is from seeds and that can be pretty much controlled with a good thick mulch and then when they do sprout and getting them when they're very young and easy easy to get rid of. The other one is for perennial kinds of things. They either climb into your bed or you know, like bermuda grass, it can come up you chop all the bermudograss off the top of the or it just popped stuck out of the ground again. And for those kind of weeds, you're going to have to use some sort of of a product that is effective I think what I would suggest, and I'm not seeing the situation. I don't even really know what weed we're talking about. But if you will go on my website Gardening with Skip dot Com and look at skip'sweed wiper, I tell you how to build one. It's real simple, and then you can put products on there that will kill those broad leaf weeds but won't kill the good plants because you're not getting them on the good plants. It's a little like two sponges that come together and squeeze the weed leaves. Take a look at it. I also have a publication on herbicides where if you're looking at a grassy weed, if you're looking at a broad leaf weed, if you know if those kind of things, it tells you what product to use on that weed wiper. That's the best way I know. You've been out pulling and pulling and pulling trying to get them all. If you can get a product on there, have it translocated down, it'll work for you. I use it in my beds as well. But Gardening with Skip dot Com is the website. Look for the weed wiper and look for the list for for the herbicides to put on it okay, all right, and you're in Sugarland, so you just drive up to Southwest Fertilizer Besson that and runwick and Bob's got the little tool that you used to build a weed wiper. Once you get one, you're gonna use it a lot. I keep mind hanging in the grab it all the time. I got to run for a break. Thank you, appreciate your call, sir. All right, folks, we'll be right back. Welcome back, Welcome back to Garden Line. Folks. Good to have you with us. If you'd like to give me a call. By the way, it's seven one three two one two k t r H. Those of you down in League City or that whole area Clearlakes, Elkam into Reale Baycliff, Lamart, Dickenson, San Leon, that that whole region down there. Your hometown feed store is League City feed It is in League City, of course, on Highway three, just a few blocks south of Highway ninety six. So that's where it's located. Now you just need to go, and when can you go, Well, Monday through Saturday nine am to six pm, so after work you swing by there close on Sunday. By the way, if you want to get m call two eight one three three two sixteen twelve. Now why would you go, Well, it's old fashioned service. It's that old time feed store service. Carry the bags out for you. This is the third generation in the Thunderberg family is running this store. That's what I'm That's what I'm talking about. If you need anything to control weeds, pest and diseases, they have an excellent selection. And if you're looking for fertilizers for your garden and your lawn, they have the nitrofoss line, they have Microlifeline, they have Nelson Plant Food Line. You're going to find soils by the bag from Heirloom Soils there, so you can just swing by there and pick that up again. They're on Highway three, a few blocks south Highway ninety six. League City Feed two eight one three three two sixteen twelve. Two eight one three three two sixteen twelve. I was at my yard the other day and notice that I had a fire at Mount popping back up in there. I thought I had those guys under control. Well you never get them completely forever gone night Fiss has a product called fire ant Killer, And you know, normally I would say use, use baits here and there through the year to suppress the fire ants. But what if you've got a mount and you need to get rid of it now, Well that it's not going to work that fast on it. Fire ant killer from Nitrofuss does. It is a very effective you know, just you've got a party tomorrow and you want to knock those out. This is what you're going to need to use. Fire Ant killer from Nitropos and night Fuss products are available all over the place. I know Hiden and feed On Student or Airline has it. All the Fissures hardwares in Pasadena, Laporte, Mont Bellevue and even Baytown they carry it. Stanton Shopping Center down there in Alvin. For those of you who are up in the Cypress area, you've got M and D Cypress and Langham Creek Ase Hardware too, all carry night Foss products. You're listening to the guard line and we're here to try to helpe you have success. That's kind of my goal in doing this. If you want to give us a call, I'm about to the next hour. We're going to have doctor Tim Hartman, who is a horticulturist, a fruit specialist from Texas A and m agrolife extension on the show. And if you've got fruit tree questions, give us a call on that. I'm going to try to focus on fruit trees for these for these next couple hours. But this is your chance to pick his brain. You want suggestions for planting a fruit tree, you want you dealing with a problem on a fruit tree. He can help you with all those things. If you walked in my attic. I went up in my attic the other day and oh my gosh, I thought I was gonna melt, you know, like a wax candle up there is so hot. Arctic insulation solutions can help cut down your bills. You know, the thing runs all day practically trying to keep up. There's a lot of ways they help. They've got foil radiant barriers that can go in the roof, the ceiling of the attic rafters and thirty degrees or more get that temperature down. They have fiberglass insulation that they can blow in, or they can do any kind of insulation you need up there, and it really makes a difference. And then going in and sealing those holes around like your light fixtures and switches and plugs and things. Hot air can leak through that and does leak through that, and that can make a big difference. One study they did is that just like having an open window in a room and closing it, that's the difference it makes Solar Attic fans another thing. Just go to their website. If you're like me, you can't spell Arctic. There's a C in the middle that I keep forgetting about a rc TIC Houston dot com Arctic Houston dot com eight three, two five, eight six, twenty eight ninety three. Give them a call right out here to Liberty, Texas now and visit with Jason. Hello, Jason, Welcome to garden line.
Speaker 21: Anyway, I got a question.
Speaker 7: Get me and my daughter.
Speaker 21: We planted a little some seeds. We had some really good oranges and were planted some seeds. That was the oranges. It was a brown Hurricane Ike before Hurricane Ike came in. Anyway, Well, they all blew away, and I seen one out there. I found one that a little sprout was coming out of, so I transplanted it. Make a long story short, it grew to a really big orange tree, had big thorns on it and everything, but it made really really good oranges. Okay, I got two seasons of it. We made good oranges, and then it froze when we had a twenty twenty freeze or whenever that hard freeze was okay, Well, it died all the way down to the root system, and then it came back up. It was like eight or ten feet tall. Never seen a blossom on it that year, Never seen a blosom on the next year. And then we had that other breeze and it killed it back again, and now it's like eight or ten beats all again. I haven't seen a blossom. My question is I'm gonna have to wait another fourteen years. So that's how long it took for the fort to ever produced any fruit from the time we planted it.
Speaker 3: That.
Speaker 2: I don't know if it's going to take that long, but it can take a while. This just so I'm absolutely sure you're talking about a seedling, not a grafted one, right.
Speaker 15: The originally original of the orange.
Speaker 2: So so just to put it in a real fast nutshell, when when a fruit tree starts to grow from a seed, it's in a stage called juvenile. It cannot reproduce. It does not able. It's like a you know, a very young human being.
Speaker 11: Uh.
Speaker 2: And then it reaches the stage at some point where it starts to produce mature wood and it can bloom and fruit. That that's plant reproduction there, And so yours died back to the around so you're starting with juvenile wood again. It's going to take some time to get to that stage. That's why we buy grafted plants. If you had a grafted plant, the grafted part is mature wood. So if you died back to like an inch above the graft, if you protect the graft, then it is going to re sprout with wood that can that is already ready to be able to bloom and set.
Speaker 7: Uh.
Speaker 2: So on yours, I think it's going to take a while. So your options are to try butting or grafting it, or buy a plant or something, or just wait.
Speaker 21: Okay, it was like the trunk of this thing was like almost tentages are or was about tentages in diameter, you know, it was. It was big years. Yeah, it was a huge arm tree and it played like a truckload of oranges and they were really good.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 21: Well anyway, okay, well I guess that makes sense.
Speaker 11: Oh it's well, I think I think time.
Speaker 2: So yeah, I just I think it's it's gonna be. It's just going to take time. But thank I hate Jason, I've got to run for the break at the top of the are, but thank you for the call. Good luck with it. I feel your pain on having to wait on that one though, I certainly do. Uh, we're going to take a break. I want to remind you that next hour we're going to have doctor Tim Hartman from the horticulture department at Texas A and M University. Tim is a expert on all kinds of things fruit, and so you can give us a call. Between the two of us putting their heads together here, I bet we can come on answer for you if you're thinking about planning fruit. If you got a fruit problem that uh, you know, like we just had that call on oranges, Uh, that that started from a seedling. That's a that's a great question. So feel free to give me a call seven one three two one two k t r H. I just want to ask that let's keep it fruit for these next couple hours, uh, and then I'll be back again tomorrow morning with your calls on whatever you want to call and talk about. At the seven or six o'clock and seven o'clock hour and the nine o'clock hour. I have a guest at eight o'clock tomorrow, so anyway, thanks for being a listener. We'll be right back.
Speaker 3: Starting out an ache.
Speaker 2: All right, gardeners, welcome back, Welcome back to Guardline. Good to have you with us. My guest for these next two hours doctor Tim Hartman from the Texas A and M Horticulture Department, part of the Texas and M Agrolife Extension Service. He's a fruit specialist. So here's your chance. You want to ask us some questions about fruit growing, maybe what to plant or you know, we just went in to break from that last one talking about an orange tree that came up from a seed and didn't produce for a long time, and so we're we're happy to take all those kinds of questions. Seven one three two one two kt r H. You know, I talk all the time about brown stuff before green stuff, brown stuff before green stuff. In other words, prepare the soil before you plant the plants. And if you do that, you are gonna have the best chance at success. And Nature's Way Resources has built a tradition about creating the best compost products, the best mult type products. They've got it all. There a great selection.
Speaker 12: You know.
Speaker 2: John Ferguson when he created that place, he called it Nature's Way because it was all about recognizing the fact that nature knows how to build soil over a long time, and we get to cut that short by buying a few cubic yards and creating a flower bed or improving the soil that we have Nature's Way Resources dot Com. That's the website, Nature's Way Resources dot Com. Don't forget that ever. Friday is Fungal Friday. Ten percent off bags of fungal based compost, and there is a twenty percent off deal on Fridays on bulk compost. That is a good deal, whether you go there and get it, whether you have them deliver it, or whether you buy it buy the bag in area stores. Nature's Way Resources products will help you take care of that brown stuff. So the green stuff is happy. I like to say the plants hit the ground running because they're in good soil. Well, doctor Hartman, Tim, I'm gonna call you Tim today. Please welcome to garden Line. It's good to have you.
Speaker 3: Yeah, thanks for having me here this morning.
Speaker 2: You bet well, we've got just so many fruit, so little time I know as to where to begin. What if someone were wanting to plant I don't know, let's just say one, two, or three fruit trees or bushes or whatever in their landscape, what would you recommend as being kind of like, this is a good one to start with. You're not gonna go nuts, You're not gonna spray it every other day and have a lot of trouble with it. But it would be a good fruit that you would recommend. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Two that come to mind right off the bat would be fig There's a lot of interesting figs, so many different varieties. We have over one hundred varieties that we're looking at right now between myself and doctor Dave Creech at SFA. They grew very well in Houston.
Speaker 2: A hundred varieties of figs.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and there's so many more out there.
Speaker 1: We kind of gave up on trying to collect them all, like the pokemon or whatever. But but yeah, a lot of different ones are super easy to propagate. A lot of people like to trade them, but they're just easy. They really have very few pests and disease issues, and Houston is an excellent place to grow them.
Speaker 2: Yeah. It is you know, we had a fake industry in Houston at one time. Yeah, that's what I understand. Yeah, I think it was over one hundred acres or one.
Speaker 1: Hundred I want to say thousands of acres actually is what from the Texas Historical Commission.
Speaker 3: Yeah, a lot. I wasn't there obviously, but yeah, I grew.
Speaker 2: Up with a fig tree in the backyard and that's a fun memory. Figs are pretty easy. You know, they get the rust, but yeah, you know it's kind of ye yeah, not a lot of pestive diseases. But what would you say in terms of getting a fig and choosing a variety? First of all, what are the characteristics of that fruit that you think are most important in choosing that variety?
Speaker 7: Uh?
Speaker 2: And the also the ones that you enjoyed the most that you think people would would be happiest with. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So one of the first considerations I think we're on the same page on this skip is that we're selecting a varieties.
Speaker 3: We want to go with a closed eye variety.
Speaker 1: So a fig is a some conium people refer to it basically, well, it's I think technically now considered a hollowed out peduncle. But it's basically an inside out flower, and that eye or ostiole would normally be to facilitate pollination via the fig wasp. We don't have it in Texas.
Speaker 2: We don't.
Speaker 1: We're not worried about that because are common fig that we grow doesn't require fruit. It sets seedless fruit poll I'm sorry, thank you for.
Speaker 2: All the all the female parts of the flower, all the flower parts are inside the fig inside.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And unlike a lot of other figs, like the Smyrna capra san pedro, they don't need pollination. And so what we have is this this eye that we don't need because we don't need the pollination. It serves as an entry way. So we get dried fruit, beetle, leather, insects in there. They they don't take their shoes off when they come in. They track in uh A, Cido, bacter and and all kinds of germs, and you get souring.
Speaker 2: It's souring and it almost is a fermenting kind of thing because wasps like to go there. Another reason you don't want an open eye for all possible What what are two or three varieties that you think people would be happy with?
Speaker 1: Yes, there are obviously a lot of them out there, so less at least as far as closed eye. That's what I think of as a closed eye celestis. It's it's very tight. There are a lot of figs out there. I like green, the green Issha variety. It's got a great flavor. It's really pretty on the inside, but it does have a bit more of an open eye. Now there's some varieties that have a very open eye, and there's you've kind of got a spectrum in there. But especially in Houston, where it's humid, it's rainy, you definitely want to closed eye.
Speaker 2: Okay, all right, good, Well. Figs are a good one. I've always been a fan of per simmons because I like the way they taste. Some people don't care for them. I like the the astringent types and let them get fully ripe. It's like a bag of jelly. And the only way to eat an astringent per semon when it's fully ripe is to get into the bathtub and have someone handy so you can just enjoy it and then just shower off because you're gonna make a mess. But I love those. They're the non astringent types that don't pucker your mouth so much. But that's another one, not really pest and disease issues or that you're having to spray for now.
Speaker 3: I absolutely love her simmons. We've got to skip.
Speaker 1: I'm sure you've heard me talk about this, but I'm a collector. We have about eighty varieties of Asian per simon at our research farm. In fact, I was just grafting yesterday.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they're just they're super easy.
Speaker 1: They're very ornamental as well, and I agree with you the a stringent variety, even though they're a mess. I think they have a more rich flavor. But most people prefer the non astringen, the saruga, the fuou, the moto, you know those types that remain firm when they're ripe, And yeah, you can eat the skin and everything.
Speaker 3: You basically eat it like an apple.
Speaker 2: Now, if you're listening and you're going, what did he just say on those varieties? If you go to the Aggie Horticulture website, and we need to mention there's more than once. While we're visiting Aggie Horticulture website, there's a fruit section right on the front page lower to the left. You'll click on fruit and you have a publication full color multi page for free on every kind of fruit you can imagine, from avocado to I don't know what fruit begins with the Z but size of it. There you go, the genus of there's one and there's a precimon publication and it talks about varieties. In these publications talk about how to perunem and how to plan them and take care of them. And they're all free. So Aggie, Horticulture website Fruit section. Uh, everything we're going to talk about today, you're going to find good information like that on there. I got to take a little break here for some paying the bills, as I say, and we will be right back with doctor Tim Hartman and your questions at seven one three two one two kt R. H's welcome back to Guardline folks. Good to have you with us. Hey, we have doctor Tim Hartman, who's associate professor in the horticulture department here at Texas A and M and a statewide fruit specialist. So any kinds of things fruit, that's what we're going to be talking about for the rest of this hour and next you'd like to give me a call and ask him a question. Seven to one three two one two kt R h seven one three two one two k t R H. You were talking about per Simmons before we went to break. The one thing that I forgot to mention, which is why I like to recommend persons, is they are ornamental. The foliage turns beautiful fall colors. I mean you have to drive to the northeast to see colors pretty as at oranges. Yeah, that is true. The other thing is the fact that they occurred a time of year when we don't have a lot of fruit ripening and so the holiday baking and whatnot. I love per Simon bread. Well, what would be another fruit? You know, you were talking about figs, We talked about per Simmons. What's another one that you would recommend for people kind of getting started or wanted to try. Yeah.
Speaker 1: So when you're talking about in the backyard and kind of small spaces, I think you can't go wrong with a BlackBerry. I think more people should be growing blackberries. I say that all the time. Blackberries are small, they don't take a lot of room. We usually space them about three feet apart. You really need some type of trails, but it could be very rudimentary, just some steaks or even a tomato cage. The other cool thing about blackberries is that they're very precocious. They come into fruit very quickly. You can have fruit certainly by the second year. By the third year you should be looking at a full crop already. They can be grown in containers. I've grown them in you know, half whiskey barrel size twenty five gallon pots. We have a lot of varieties out there too. I want to give a mention to Steven Yannick. Steve and Yannick, one of my colleagues here at A and M, is a program specialist and actually working on his PhD in blackberries. He's down in the Hallettsville area, not too far away, and he's doing a lot of variety trialing. But if you're not familiar, we do have a lot of varieties of BlackBerry. We've got thorn less varieties. We also have from the University of Arkansas what we call primo caine fruiting blackberries.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's cool. That's a fairly new development in the history of blackberries. But tell us about that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so blackberries, we say that they produce on biennial canes. Okay, so what that means is is, let's say during twenty twenty five, We've got a leafy prime ocine. It's primarily or basically just going to be vegetative. Okay, it'll grow this year, and then that same cane over the wintertime transitions to become a flora caane, think flowers flora caanes, and then it produces fruit the next year. In twenty twenty six, that cane dies, but we have new ones that replace it. Only these primo canes, these first year canes are only vegetative. Well, we get to throw that out the window with some of these primate cane fruiting varieties Primark Freedom, Primark Traveler, Primark Horizon, Primark forty five again from University of Arkansas. And the idea is that you can actually get a crop early on. Usually I would say in your area, Primark Freedom is going to be ripe late April, pretty pretty early. But then you can potentially get another crop. Uh here in College Station, it's going to be around July fourth or so, and then sometimes another crop or two in the fall. Now, you can't count on those additional crops because sometimes it's too hot, the fruit don't set, they're not very good. But I mean I've there have been years where I pick blackberries all the way from late April into November where there was not a two week break in between there.
Speaker 2: And they're thornless too. They're thornless. That's a good deal. Hey, we Gota. We got a call here I want to go to and bring in. We have Beta in Paarland. Hey, welcome to garden Line Beta.
Speaker 13: Hiki, are you.
Speaker 2: Doing good? What's your question?
Speaker 16: My question is I grew alvocado trees this for fun. I probably have about fifty to one hundred.
Speaker 2: Trees, and you have fifty avocado trees.
Speaker 16: Oh man, wow, wow, all of them in my backyard. When at what point do they all need to be grafted or the same thing with lemon tree.
Speaker 14: You planted them?
Speaker 16: Yeah, I planted them by planted.
Speaker 2: Them from seed from a store bought avocado. Okay, all right, so the question, well, let's start with that question. Beata's question is h And by the way, my guest doesn't have a head set of headphone, so I'm gonna have to repeat these uh today, I'd provide him one. I should have the planting seeds of avocados from the store, A fifty plus one hundred seed, got it? And how does she graft them and when does she graft them in any advice on that?
Speaker 1: Okay, yeah, great question, and I'm just going to kind of preface that a little bit with.
Speaker 3: Grafting. Okay, So avocados do have to be crafted.
Speaker 1: Okay, So most fruit don't come true from seeds, so basically you don't know what you're going to get.
Speaker 3: It's the whole box of chocolate's thing.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: You may get something good, you may get something not good, but it's not going to be like the parent. Avocados are especially like that, so you have to graft. The other reason is an avocado from seed can take ten to twenty plus years to make fruit, so they have a very long juvenile period. So grafting is something you would definitely want to do. As far as how to do that, they're fairly easy to graft, different ways to do it. I've butted them before. I've used a lot of different techniques. Commercially, what's done most commonly is going to be a cleft graft, where some people refer to it as a top wedge. I've seen a lot of nursery producers that will actually graft them in a very young stage a few months old seedlings. As soon as they start to get a little bit stiff, just coming right out of the pit, you can graft that. Shoot my experience though, when you're selecting that graft wood, and again you'd want to get it from a tree that is producing a known variety that's going to of course you'll be able to propagate that variety, but you'll also have something that is matured and will start flowering and fruiting very quickly. But anyway, selecting that wood, I like to get wood that's a little bit stiffer. From my experience, if you're using cyan wood, a graft wood on avocado that is kind of so green and really kind of flaccid and suck doesn't work too well. So I like to kind of go back and get stuff that's a little bit older. But but yeah, cleft graft is probably one of the oldest uh graphs out there, and the Bible talks about grafting Roman's eleven. I always picture that being a cleft graft. Of course you can find lots of videos on that.
Speaker 2: See ancient woodcut photos of cleft graph. Yeah, yeah, what do you what do you wrap that with? When you make the graft.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so a lot of things you could use. Personally, I when I graft, I like to use a product called buddy tape. You can get it on Amazon b U d d Y Buddy tape. But people use parafilm. I've used white poly butting tape, basically something that is going to seal that graft. You want to make sure that all those cuts where the sign and roots dot come together, You want to make sure that that is sealed off so it doesn't try out. And then I like, if I'm not using like a plastic butting tape, I actually like to use is like a rubber band strip to to really get a little more tension on there, just to help bind it better.
Speaker 2: All right, will Beta. There's a lot of info right there, and there are a.
Speaker 3: Lot of videos online about it too.
Speaker 16: Crafting avocados yeah, so it has to be with an avocado tree that's producing.
Speaker 2: Yes, if you have a neighbor that has an avocado that is producing, almost all the well, the trees you buy are probably all going to be grafted on avocado. They should be so that they're already they already have mature wood on them. If you will so that thing about waiting twenty years, you don't have to worry about. Just get a little okay, go online for reading first.
Speaker 14: Yeah, I've done that.
Speaker 16: I'm just scared to take the I'm scared to take the plunge.
Speaker 14: But what about is it the same for a lemon tree?
Speaker 16: Because I have about fourteen or fifteen lemon trees.
Speaker 2: Are these all seedlings too? Yes, your love, I'm sorry.
Speaker 22: They came from a they came from a seed.
Speaker 2: Yes, okay, about fifteen lemons from seed? Same recommendation or would you shift to a different propagation like a tea bud or something. Yeah.
Speaker 1: So if lemons, I will say, they have a shorter juvenile period, it's only a few, maybe three or four years. It's a lot shorter than that twenty years. If you don't, if you don't graft them so they will make seed, you're gonna get something that's a little bit different, but you could get something pretty interesting. Citrus can be grafted by by what we call butting, or some people call it bud grafting. Tea bud is most common, but they'll cleft graft really easily too. Actually, and you can pretty much graft citrus any time of year. Spring is always a nice time as long as it's not too hot. You don't want to be doing it when you're you know, up well up into the nineties or one hundred degrees.
Speaker 16: Okay, okay, that's nice, great, Thanks so much. I appreciate it.
Speaker 2: Thank you. Yeah, thanks a lot you got I think we he just puts you to work. Thanks, Meta, I appreciate your call. Uh, you're listening to garden line seven one three two one two ktr H. I'm visiting with doctor Tim Hartman from Taxi and M Extension Service Horticulture Department, State fruit specialist and assistant professor there in the department. Let's see, I have probably thirty seconds before break, so I'm gonna ask you another question, but you can call in and ask any kinds of fruit related questions you want of doctor Hartman. I'm sure he will have the answer. I learned something from him every time I talk to him, and fruit is so much fun. I'm going to pick your brain about some of the types of centa s when we come back, if we can do that, Doc Harmon, I just planted a satsuma and a blood orange. I know blood orange is a little far north, but anyway, we'll talk about that. Welcome back to garden Line seven three two one two k t R H. I'm visiting with doctor Tim Hartman from Texas A and m Agrilife Horticulture Department about all things fruit. If you want to give us a call that related to fruit, here's the here's the opportunity. We'll call it the stump the chumps and see if you can. If you can can stomp us with the fruit. I shouldn't challenge you like that. I know people out there that will make up a question about Okay, we're going to go now to out to Houston and talk to Joshua. Hello Joshua, Welcome to garden Line.
Speaker 19: Hi, good morning. I got a couple of avocados that I planted from seed also and I'm going to grab them, but might have some neighbors that talk to me, you know, about a little bit about avocados. So they told me you can't really plant them over here, uh, And I just I don't know if I should. If it's protection from the winter time, they say they freeze, and I don't know if I should just put them in a bigger pot and be able to try to put them in a place where I can wheel them in, or if I can plant them and put them, you know, close to a building to protect them and know what I just got you.
Speaker 2: Okay, So yeah, they're they're trying to grow an avocado in a pot is going to be a big challenge. But I'm not saying it's impossible. Everything's possible, but that's gonna be a challenge. Did when you were set you're going to graft them? Or are you'd or what's the plan? Because they're from seeds? Okay, So I just want to offer I'm going to turn this over to you, Tim, but when we've had two now that are planning avocados seeds from the grocery store that is not a super hardy avocado, and the kind that we recommend here, the smoother skins types are pretty hardy, but on any kind of a fruit, even ceteras, where you know, we could have one of those winners. When we get into the cool season and the cold is coming, mound up a bunch of soil or compost around the base of that plant, even like a foot or more high, and you don't want to leave it there. We don't like multi volcanoes but it will protect the graft, and even if it freezes down to that, you still have your tree that will take off growing like crazy. So the question is again a seeded avocados in a pot going to be grafted. Where would you plant them? And would you recommend trying to grow them in a pot?
Speaker 1: You can grow them in a pot. They want to be really large trees, but they can be grown in pots. I've got a Chuckhette variety that I've had for about ten years actually in a twenty five now.
Speaker 3: It's a pretty good sized pot and it's done fairly well.
Speaker 1: But yeah, if you want to put in the ground, and you should certainly be able to do that again being ready to protect it.
Speaker 2: This really goes for all fruit trees.
Speaker 1: Okay, if you think about a fruit tree is taking that solar energy converting it into chemical energy show or in this case oils. Okay, So the more sun the better, Okay, so full sun. The other thing is drainage. Okay, fruit trees need drainage, I don't care what it is. Especially peach, especially avocado, they need drainage. So if you're especially kind of in the southern long it ten and kind of in that more southern coastal area where you've got a lot of that gumbo soil. You have got a plant on a mound or raised bed that is really going to pay off, all right, if it's avocado or something like that, a citrus that you want to protect from from the cold. Putting it on the south side of a structure like a house can also help.
Speaker 2: Okay, good, all right, Joshua, Hey, I appreciate your call. Good luck with that. Sounds like a fun project, except for the part about moving it indoors. All right, you take care. Good to talk with you. So let's see, we've talked about blackberries as a is a pretty easy crop to grow. Peaches, in my opinion, are the queen of the fruit garden here at least, and a lot of people love to grow peaches as well as other fruit other than drainage which is critical for a peach especially and good sunlight. Like you said, what are some tips that you would give people for choosing planting or growing peach tree?
Speaker 1: Kind of in a nutshell, yeah, so with any kind of what we'd call temperate fruit. Okay, these are gonna be things like pears, apples, and peaches and things like that. They need winter chilling. Okay, they have to have a certain amount of cold. We're not tom that below freeze and kind of you think refrigerator temperatures below forty five fahrenheit. They need a certain number of hours, depends this various by variety, by species, and if they don't get that chilling, they are not going to be able to flour and produce a good crop. Okay for you in your area, especially the Houston are your child is going to be getting enough chilling. Well, guess what on peaches, we fortunately have a lot of options for you. Doctor Dave Byrne peach longtime peach breeder Texas A and M who has just retired, has developed about forty varieties of peach and nectarine. Most of these are low chill. We have varieties that are even as low chill as one hundred and fifty hours.
Speaker 3: They could grow.
Speaker 2: You could almost go in Galveston with that.
Speaker 1: Oh easily, oh easily. Yeah, a lot of two fifties, three fifties. We've even got some doughnut shaped peaches, lots of nectarines, and these are bread for Texas.
Speaker 2: Okay, sounds good. Well, there you go. We had a question come in from Evelyn in Katie, and I'm going to go to that now. Hey Evelyn, welcome to garden Line.
Speaker 6: Good morning.
Speaker 2: Morning.
Speaker 6: I am calling. I am going to plant fruit trees this fall, and I wanted to know what do I need to do to prepare the whole.
Speaker 11: I don't want to just dig a hole and stick the trees down in or because.
Speaker 6: I really want them to have the right soil and whatever to plant that tree and have a.
Speaker 19: Survival.
Speaker 2: Rates well that you got the right instincts on that, Evelyn. And the question is about how do you prepare the soil for planting a fruit tree. You talked about physically raising the soil up so it can drain off from there, but this is definitely another case of brown stuff before green stuff. To just buy the tree and bring it home and plant it without any prep is probably not a good idea. How would you recommend a homeowner prepare soil for putting in a fruit tree.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's a great question, and I love getting back to basics the foundations. So unless you have deep deep sands, really on any fruit tree, I would recommend planning on a mound. And I want to be clear that what we're talking about here, we're talking about making a mouth, and a foot two feet is great, but even a foot is going to make a big difference. I always kind of describe it as a picture's mound. If you're doing one tree, like a peach tree, a six by six square area about a foot high. And yes, that means you would probably need to bring in some soil or at least kind of scrape it together. This can be done, you know, like you do a vegetable garden, raised bed with lumber, or you could just simply have it mounded and gently sloping down pitts.
Speaker 3: Some mulch pictures mound.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, an organic material okay, we love brown as much carbon as you.
Speaker 3: Can get into that soil. Compost amendments like skipped.
Speaker 1: I know it has talked about a lot that is really going to help that tree, and I want to be clear that when you plant that tree on a mound, okay, you're literally going to plant it the bottom of that root ball above the existing grade. So it's almost imagined like putting that tree on the ground and put piling soil around it, rather than digging a deep hole and planting it and always plant it at the same depth it was originally.
Speaker 2: Did that cover your your question, Evolent?
Speaker 6: Well, it kind of My question is if I buy do I need to I live in the country, so do I need to just dig a hole, put it in there and put the stuff around it? Or do I need to put like garden soil, fruit tree soil. They have so many different soils, So do I need to put something in that hole when I dig it or just put the tree in there and then prepare it around with the mound.
Speaker 2: If you can get a quality truly a sandy loan type soil, a top true top soil. Sometimes things are sold that are not that and create a mound out of that. But a lot of organic matter is good too. And I know the folks at Nature's Way they make a fruit tree blend specifically for use in that, and I would I would talk to them about that. But that here's here's what I want you to picture. It's not exactly accurate, but if you picture this, you'll do it right. Go out and set your fruit tree on the ground and then bring in soil all around it up to the top of the fruit tree soil. Okay, So that what does that end? Up being that ends up being that that picture's mound, you know, and then and then you've got it the right. Now, you're not going to put the bed that way. You're going to create a bed and then dig a hole. But you want to dig the hole into the soil that the fruit tree is going to be growing in. And don't put compost in the hole, don't put a bunch of especially fast release fertilizer in the hole. Just just give it its best chance. But get those roots up out of the sagi wet for the best results.
Speaker 22: Right, Okay, great, okay.
Speaker 6: That will help me to get these fruit trees in the ground and hopefully they'll be successful.
Speaker 10: Thank you.
Speaker 2: Uh and you know you know my rule on guarden Line. My advice is free, but I do expect half of the fruit that you grow because of this good advice you've heard on Gardenline from doctor Puttin. I just bring it. I'll spe I might even share some with him, all right, Thanks Evelyn. Hey, we gotta take a break. Karen in the Woodlands and Russell and Pearland. You'll be our first two up. Welcome back to Guardenline. It is good to have you with us today. Hey, if you are looking for quality organic products you can use on your plants, I won't tell you about two liquid products from Microlife. The Biomatrix is an orange label. It's a seven to one to three organic product that high nitrogen. Is good for your house plants, especially because you know, basically a foliage plant. And I use it online as a water and it works. Another one is Ocean Harvest. That's a blue label. It's a four to two three and it's a fish based fertilizer. Now I would use that one outside. You can use either one outside because it has a little bit of a fish oder, so if you have family cats, they're gonna have an opinion about that. But the Ocean Harvest blue labe as that's melly. It's just I prefer to use that one outside. But it works so well, and I can tell you a number of different plant pots that I've put it in that and the results that I've gotten from it. And Microlife products are as easy to find as anything in the world. You can go to Microlifefertilizer dot com to find places you can get them and to learn about some of their other products. But always keep a couple of those jugs on hand because you need to give a real quick watering in of something and it works. Doctor Hartman, Doctor Tim Hartman is my guest today. We're talking about all kinds of things related to fruit, and we're going to go to the woodlands and talk to Karen. Hello, Karen, welcome to garden Line.
Speaker 23: Good morning.
Speaker 11: How are you this morning?
Speaker 2: Morning? Doing well?
Speaker 16: Good?
Speaker 24: I'm calling because we have a nectarine tree in our backyard that has started producing fruit the last couple of years, and we are at our wits end trying to figure out how to keep the squirrels and critters and bugs from eating all of them. We haven't gotten any.
Speaker 2: Wow for us either year well, and we've.
Speaker 24: Tried a few different things.
Speaker 15: Wondering if you have any suggestions.
Speaker 2: Okay, Doc Harmon. The question is you got a nectarine tray and they don't get to enjoy any of the fruit because their squirrels are running around there. What are those solutions? Remember, we can't recommend any ballistic solutions because it's yeah, so you can't eat. If you can't eat nectarine, you can eat squirrel if it tastes like ne Greene. They don't taste like all right, joking aside, Doc Harmon, what would you recommend?
Speaker 1: So, one humane solution that I've actually come up with that works pretty well is basically making a cage out of cylindrical cage out of chicken wire, poultry netting around the trunk, and you have to have it supported with something like PVC pipe or something like that. That's going to be an insulator, non conductive, non conductive. And then I actually run an electric fence charger. Already have an electric fence for the deer around my orchard, but I just run a hot wire over to that.
Speaker 3: It's going to shock the squirrel, but it's not going to kill it. It's not really going to hurt it.
Speaker 1: And if you can keep it from jumping from another tree, if you basically prevent it from going up that tree, it does work pretty well usually.
Speaker 2: And I can tell you squirrels can jump about eight feet, especially if they get a higher because I've had him get into a feeder that was eight feet away from a fence.
Speaker 3: That's amazing, I know, not even a flying squirrel.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there you go, Karen. You've got any thoughts on.
Speaker 24: That, well, yeah, that's something we haven't tried.
Speaker 15: So I'm happy to try it.
Speaker 24: We clean that haven't worked, so yeah, anyway, Yeah.
Speaker 2: What happened to the climbshells? Well, Karen, tell me what happened with the clamshells?
Speaker 24: What the squirrels were able to open them? Either squirrels or raccoons.
Speaker 2: Oh they open them.
Speaker 15: Well, I've talked to and they still got through them. Oh my gosh.
Speaker 2: Okay, squalls are smart. If you want to be entertained, go on YouTube and look at the contraptions people have tried to thwart squirrels with and watch the squirrels. It's sad, but it's very thanks Karry, I do okay, Yeah, appreciate, appreciate you call very much. Let's see here. We're going to go now to Russell in Paarland. Hey Russell, welcome to garden Line.
Speaker 3: Good morning.
Speaker 25: Got a grapefruit tree that's just three years old ish. Our previous one was killed in the freeze, and boy, I'm glad to hear the information that y'all gave about how to protect them from getting freeze. So it's about three years old and I'm really having trouble controlling the leaf miners. I'm using kneem oil, but that's all I'm using. Do you have any other suggestions?
Speaker 2: So you've been using the neeme oil, what would you recommend for citrus leaf miners and how do you go about it?
Speaker 1: Yeah, so what's most commonly recommended for homeowners? It's going to be UH spinosid. That's the active ingredients spinosid.
Speaker 21: It is UH.
Speaker 1: There's conserve a lot of brands out there, but it is labeled for organic use. Mixed that with UH, and of course always make sure you follow the label, but a lot of people will mix that with oil, with a summer oil and will spray that on the shoots when they're a few inches long. And basically you want to kill those leaf minor larvae before they really get going. Of course, every time you've got a new flush of growth, you'll have to you'll have to repeat this.
Speaker 3: Oh okay, and what did you call that? That first?
Speaker 7: UH?
Speaker 2: Chemical spin spins It's it's spin like s p I N the letter O and then sad like you're sad because mixed? Okay with what mix it with?
Speaker 21: What?
Speaker 2: Mix it? Mix? The spinocid with summer oil. Summer oil, a light, very lightweight oil. Oil kind of evaporate. So yeah, a summer. Oh, would you be concerned about time of day spraying a summer oil on citrus.
Speaker 1: Citrus are really are renowned for being very tolerant of oil, whereas other plants you would burn them. But yeah, if you could do it like in the evening, is probably a safer bad. Yeah, if you really, if you're concerned about that.
Speaker 2: I might be What about even trying to do a little bit upward from underneath the leaf, because I know there's there's scale, insects and sometimes are up underneath.
Speaker 3: There will summer oil work on those or is it just too light weight? No, it'll it'll work.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Oil's not a poison. It's mothers them. So that's why spraying upward where if a pest are hiding underneath the leaf, like sometimes sometimes spider manks, sometimes scale, certain kinds of scale will.
Speaker 25: Be up under Okay, wonderful, thank you so much.
Speaker 2: All right, thank you for the call. I appreciate that.
Speaker 10: Well.
Speaker 2: We're having a good time here on garden Line. Lots of questions and lots of things to talk about, and I'm about to hear the music that says we're at the top of the hour for the news. Tim I don't know where to go next. I mean, my brain is going in a thousand directions, but I let's do this. Let's when we come back, talk about some not so common fruits. That's good that people, And just to give you a little teaser, don't go away. If you've got friends that are interested in fruit, tell them to tune in the garden Line. If you want to give me a call seven to one to three two one two kt RH. We might talk about golden kiwi's who knows what that is? How about pineapple, guava? There's another one. We're going to get into some not so common fruit yet and yes, the quick answer is you can grow some of this stuff here. All right, all right, well, I just want to remind you that, uh when for the rest of today we're gonna be talking with doctor Hartman on fruit trees. I'll be back with just regular calls in the morning. We hear from six am to ten am. You can listen to garden Line on the radio. You can also listen to garden Line on the app, the iHeartMedia app, and I know people that do that. That way, you take your phone with you out in the garden. You could be right now you could be in your garden. I won't say pulling weeds. I know you don't allow weeds in your garden. You could be in your garden harvesting flowers and beautiful things. Listening to garden line. You see a bug, take a picture, email it to me and live from your garden. Is garden line. That's how that would work, all right. I'm not hearing music here in my ear, and I think we're about at that time. I see, okay, there we go. Just looking at my clock a little bit wrong. I want to remind you that OBA Palooza is coming up on August second, Saturday, August second. If you guys follow Joe Gardner, Joe Lample, he is outstanding. He's going to be speaking, given two talks there. I'll be giving a talk there myself on beneficial in a key ingredient and sustainable landscapes, all kinds of good organic information here now, it's at the United Way on wad Drive, the United Way of Greater Houston. If you want more information, go to OBA online. That's HbA online dot org. Slash register that's how you can register and find out more information about it. So there you go. Hope to be able to see you on Saturday, August second for the Obapalooza. I Love it Oba Police eight a m. Before pm. All right, all right, folks, we're back here we go. We are with today. I've got as a special guest doctor Tim Hartman, Assistant professor in the horticulture department at Texas A and M, but also state wide statewide fruit extension specialists. So if there is a fruit out there is he has probably either grown it. Every time I talk about some of these, go yeah, I got three of those at my house. Tim. One of the things I appreciate about the work you have done is being willing to jump out beyond just the peaches, plums, apples, pears, basics of fruit, and look at some of these other fruit that are quite unusual. And I'd like you to talk about that because you've actually done the research on some of these. Let's start with pineapple guava. That's a plant people plant for a hedge, and it's a beautiful hedge. The flowers are edible, with the pink flowers almost a cotton candy kind of fluffiness to them. Not that sweet, but you can grow it here. But if you just go down this store to buy a pineapple guava and you get two or three of them, they may not fruit well. And why is that and how would you tell somebody to have success with pineapple guava.
Speaker 1: Yes, so, just like we talked about avocado, you started from sea. They're not true to type. Same thing with pineapple guava. Generally, any plant you're going to get from a nursery, if it's a landscape to be a landscape plant, that pineapple guava is going to be from seed.
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 1: The fruit in two or three years usually or be able to bloom in two or three years, but the quality may not be that good. Pineapple guavas also need cross pollinations, so you need two different ones. They have different genetics that bloom at the same time. So you usually recommend if you're trying to get fruit and you're just going with, you know, the run of the mill nursery, one do at least three and you can probably get fruit. But there are a lot of varieties out there too. Improve varieties.
Speaker 2: Okay, and tell me a little bit about you did some heartiness research up in college station on pineapple guava and what kinds of things have we learned about them? In terms of their ability to take cold and then maybe a few varieties that you think might be superior.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Doctor Dave Creech at SFA and I have been working for several years on a pineapple guava research project and we've got a little over forty varieties named varieties up in College station.
Speaker 2: Of course you do.
Speaker 1: And usually we say cold hardiness is around ten degrees fahrenheit. Now that varies so much depending on you know, how hardened off they are, but I can tell you that you get below ten certainly six fahrenheit, which doesn't happen off and thank goodness, yes, I know South Louisiana got even colder than that this this past winter. That will do some damage to them. But yeah, varieties, a lot of them out there. One that we really like, and it's fairly easy to find, as easy as a pineapple guava variety is going to be defined, which is not super easy.
Speaker 3: But Apollo has done really well for us. It's an old variety.
Speaker 1: We've gotten pretty large fruit the size of you know, pretty about the size of a chicken egg or a large chicken egg. Pretty good sized, great quality, very productive ripens early, and we've been pretty happy with that variety.
Speaker 2: Okay, Well, most of our listening area is way south College Station, and I think you would have less problems with how cold it gets. You mentioned the term hardening off, and for those of you who don't know what that means, basically that's does a tree is it out there? And it's bermuda shorts and flowery shirt one day and the next day it needs a parka. Okay, it wasn't. It didn't have time to get ready for that cold front. And so gradually cooling off is what you mean by hardening off, and that's important. So we could have a not hardened off guava even down south where it doesn't get as cold, but then a good hard cold could come through.
Speaker 3: And absolutely, Yeah.
Speaker 1: That reminds me of a few years ago when we had that December freeze that killed a lot of our crepe myrtles to the ground to the station. Yeah, it's all about that, that conditioning beforehand.
Speaker 2: Yeah, very important to do. So pineapple guava is a possibility now, that's uh. You said the ones in the stores are typically seedlings. Seedlings, did you.
Speaker 1: Get the nursery. Yeah, usually they're going to be seedlings. There are some nurseries mostly online, but there are some nurseries out there. The Douce sell name varieties. They're usually going to be grafted. They don't root from cuttings. We've been trying to prove that we're actually looking at tissue culture now, but most nurseries including uh, you know that's what we do as we propagate by grafting.
Speaker 2: Okay, we are talking with doctor Tim Hartman, fruit specialists for Texas with Texas A and m Aggrlife Extension Service. If you'd like to give us a call and ask a fruit question seven one three two to one two kt r age. Before we went to a break, I kind of teased the listeners with this thing called golden kiwi. What is a golden kiwi? And what have you learned in your research from them?
Speaker 10: Here?
Speaker 3: So golden kiwi fruit, if you haven't tried them, you need to.
Speaker 1: Sixty six last I checked sixty six species of kiwi of actin India.
Speaker 3: This is actin India, cheninzus.
Speaker 2: So do you have five at your house?
Speaker 3: What's that?
Speaker 2: Do you have fifty five of the species at your house?
Speaker 16: No?
Speaker 3: I think at our research from I think we have about maybe forty or something.
Speaker 1: That Okay, I shouldn't. Don't encourage him. You're saying you're working with a new crop. You know, you want to cast that net wide in terms of genetics. But yeah, it's just a cousin of that kind of funky fuzzy green kiwi fruit and it is native to China. But this is a yellow version and it's basically smooth. It has very little to no fuzz. Generally, yellow flesh tends to have less acid, tends to have a sweeter profile, more vitamin seed. I don't know if you've seen these. I've heard there at Kroger. I tasted them when I was in there's a red one now.
Speaker 2: Oh, you gave me a few from the lab, but they were all yellow.
Speaker 1: Okay, yeah, there is a red one now. When I was in New Zealand setting kiwi fruit in twenty eighteen, I got to taste it. It was or less experimental. Now they're apparently in the on the shelves here, and that's a red version, red flesh version of the golden kiwi.
Speaker 2: All right, So we have trouble with kiwis and a lot that is fluctuating temperatures big time. So what's the difference between a golden kiwi and a regular kiwi in terms of trying to get it to live here.
Speaker 1: Well, the good news is for all of us who prefer golden kiwi based on my research, and I've worked a lot with Dave Preach at SFA on this too, we're partners in crime on this research. But the gold is actually much better adapted to us than the green. Why so, the issue with kiwi is cold heartiness. If you haven't seen it, think with steria, okay, with steria on steroids. It's a big deciduous vine. The twines around in Alabama where they do a lot of research, they call them cut zoo. Don't worry, they're not invasive like that.
Speaker 2: But this is so trellis would almost be like a roof of of something overhead. Yes, that they're growing on a flat top.
Speaker 3: They want to be flat more or less.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yes, not like a you're gonna have to have a really beefed up grape trellis if you want to, if you want to do that. But but yeah, so woody vine. And we've seen measured cold heartiness below zero fahrenheit. The problem is they've got to be like Skip and I were talking about they've got to be asleep. They have to really be well hardened off. So I've also seen plants killed to the ground, young plants by twenty five fahrenheit just because it was in the fall. They were not ready. They were going full throttle, full steam ahead. That plant wasn't conditioned and it got hit by an early hard freeze and killed to the ground.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Boy, when that happened to creat myrtles up in the am area, I was shocked because it was myrtles or bread up north of Washington, d C.
Speaker 3: Twenty twenty one.
Speaker 19: Did you do that?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: So is this a golden kiwis typically grafted or un rated?
Speaker 1: Uh, they're usually grafted commercially, like in New Zealand and in Chile. They're going to be grafted onto a green kiwi roots to However, I'm actually advocating if you're going to try them here to grow them own rooted. They do root pretty easily from cuttings, okay, because it's the green key that is actually really susceptible to that to that freeze. Okay, the gold tends to go to sleep earlier. It didn't stay up and party late into the night into the fall.
Speaker 2: Yeah, good. Well, we're gonna hold that thought. I will probably come back to those. We've got a couple of callers on the line. Ruthie, you'll be first when we come back. Hang on, folks, lots about fruit today. Welcome back to the Garden Line. Good to have you with us. If you'd like to give me a call. I'm with doctor Tim Hartman today talking fruit. Uh seven one three two one two K t r H. We're gonna go out to Humble now and talk to Ruthie. Hey, Ruthie, welcome to the Garden Line.
Speaker 13: More, good morning, Thank you so much.
Speaker 7: And I do love that song though it's so cute.
Speaker 13: I am calling about my low quots I've had forever and they grow just really really well. There's specially to me because it's something that's kind of like a I don't know, an heirloom. I guess I've had them since I was a little kid in Victoria. But anyway, about three or four, about three or four years ago, I lost my kumquat tree to this strange looking thing. I learned a new word called fraft. There was these little white things sticking out of my kumquat, and I didn't know what to.
Speaker 2: Do with it?
Speaker 14: And were they anyway?
Speaker 2: Were they like toothpicks, Yeah, like toothpicks sticking Okay, yes, like little white toothticks.
Speaker 13: And I just knowed it about two months ago on my low quat. Is there any way to say that. I heard the word promethrin uh and tried that. But it's looking kind of.
Speaker 2: Sad because of where they live and what they feed on. It's very difficult. But I'm going to have doctor Hartmann comment, We've got a question about Ambrosia beetles on a low quat. They lost another different kind of plant to them, but it's definitely the tipics sticking out.
Speaker 1: Yeah, sorry, sorry to hear that to start off. Yes, Skip mentioned that's a tricky one because they really minor.
Speaker 3: I'm not in them all. I just don't want to. I want to offer that up.
Speaker 1: But they are actually uh, not really feeding on the wood itself, as my understanding, They're actually feeding on a fungus that that grows in those galleries, those tunnels that they make, and it's that fungus.
Speaker 10: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So for that reason, I don't think that the stemic insecticide like a metacloprid uh dinoteph ran are going to be that effective. There may be some topical insecticides you could spray to try to keep them, you know, prevent them from getting into a healthy tree. Now, most of these bores and bro should be to Wallso now they will sometimes attack health the trees, but they tend to really go after they they kind of pick the uh, the straddlers and the herd. They go after the the old, that the weak or the really young trees. And so just trying to keep your tree as healthy as possible.
Speaker 2: That that's it.
Speaker 4: I think that.
Speaker 13: Yeah, well that one got a little distressed from from the freeze.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Well I've seen those going to growers fields, you know, nursery growers that are growing containers, and.
Speaker 3: It just the will to have a stated golden Kiwi free even too golden.
Speaker 2: Okay, well ruthy uh didn't give you a lot of silver bullets.
Speaker 13: What should I do with the tree? Are they alive in there? And and they'll like you know, go through some kind of a larva pupa something stage and lay eggs and go to another tree.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they do, they do have the life cycle. Well, yeah, you could, I mean you could burn the branches that have it. It's not going to be they're not there, you know. Obviously they showed up from where was it, you know, on this tree. So but I wouldn't I wouldn't just leave it. Yeah, you could do that, all right, Thank you, thank you so much.
Speaker 3: By bye.
Speaker 2: Okay, bye bye. We're going to now go out to uh Tomball and talk to Keith. Hello, Keith, welcome to garden Line.
Speaker 23: Hey, good morning, guys, thanks for taking my call. I have a couple of meer lemons and they're in large pots and they every spring they bloom beautifully, they start to sprout fruit, but when the fruit gets to be about a quarter of an inch, they just disappear over a matter of a few days that I know something's eating them. I don't know if it's geckos, because it's got lots of geckos running around. I don't know if it's rodents, rats or mice. Is there anything that you guys can recommend that I can keep that from happening? I bet I had one hundred flowers, Yeah, two lemons.
Speaker 2: Now, okay, Well, Keith's got my lemon and a blue black crazy one hundred flowers and you've got two lemons. They hit about a quarter anch and fall off. And I know, uh, citrus will abort fruit that's not pollinated, but any thoughts.
Speaker 1: On them, they will go through several different waves of fruit drop.
Speaker 2: I'm sorry, go ahead to say that, Keith.
Speaker 23: They're not being they're not being dropped. You're being eaten by a pet.
Speaker 2: Okay, he said there, he's not finding dropped fruit that it's being it's he thinks something's come in and eating because they're gone. Yeah, we need to go over there at night with a game cam up or some Yeah. I don't know anything that would just come in and nip the fruit. Are you seeing damage to the ends of shoots or leaves or anything.
Speaker 23: Yeah, yeah, definitely, they're just they're just like they're a little sald off.
Speaker 2: The leaves and stems are so.
Speaker 23: Well, the stem where the fruit bud is just just completely like it's been snapped off.
Speaker 3: The shoots still there on the grounds.
Speaker 2: Okay, so they're not shoots missing.
Speaker 3: Also, it's just the fruit that's missing fruit.
Speaker 2: Yes, Okay, gotcha on that one, Keith. We're not going to have an answer, are you on this? I don't know what would do it other than mischief. There's not a pest and we've been doing this for a long time that goes around and just nips the tiny lemons off a tree. Now, okay, let me throw one thing out there. I don't know if squirrels or rats would do something like that. I don't know why they went road would be my only guess. That's our best guess. So if you wanted to try dealing with it like a rodent problem, getting rid of rodents, that might help you might. Yeah, so that'd be a shot. And that's that's a shot from the hip.
Speaker 3: Okay, okay, all right, thank you, all right, you bet appreciate that call.
Speaker 2: Now, Mark in Brenham, Hey, Mark, welcome to garden Line.
Speaker 3: Thank you for taking my call.
Speaker 15: Two quick questions.
Speaker 2: I have a.
Speaker 18: Nectarine tree and a low quat tree and they both fruit like crazy.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 15: A low quat we typically can get some fruit off of. My daughter makes jelly out of it.
Speaker 18: But the nectarine tree something is like like stinging it, boring holes in the fruit. And I'm looking to know two things. What can I do to really stimulate production even more? And also what is a good organic insecticide to spray that fruit with?
Speaker 15: Once it's set.
Speaker 2: All right, Mark's got a question about it. He's got nectarines and loquats said, fruit like crazy loqus getting some fruit off of it. But the nectarines, you said, do you feel like something stinging the fruit? Is the fruit kind of turning dimpled because of that?
Speaker 15: It actually the fruit will get you know, a small baseball size.
Speaker 18: And then it's when I go out to try and pick it, you know, trying to let it ripen on the tree where it gets a little softer.
Speaker 15: There are actually holes in it that that are rotted.
Speaker 18: Around these holes, it appears that that something is either again stinging it or boring into it and eating the fruit.
Speaker 3: I'm just not sure.
Speaker 2: Then the fruit, have you split any of them open and looked for Have you split any of them open and looked for a little worm around the seed? You know?
Speaker 18: Skip, I haven't, okay, As I said, Unfortunately, I go out there one day it's pristine and beautiful and it seems like I'm trying to let ripe it on the tree, and then the next next day or two, it's all on the ground.
Speaker 2: Something is bored into these doctor Harmon and uh, it just sounds like plumb corculio to me, But do you know anything else from the outside of a peach just boor straight on into it.
Speaker 1: It kind of sounds like peach twig or maybe they will go on the fruit itself. Yeah, they will go straight in, yeah, before pit hardening, peach twig bor and it'll also attack the shoots too.
Speaker 2: Okay, so there you go, that's a possibility. Uh, you know you're not going to want to spray your fruit at that stage. Are you trying to deal with it at a time or is it when they're young or well, there's almost a baseball side. I mean you used toy attacked a little bit earlier. But I mean we do for you know, peach and nectarine, they are a tricky crop. They are a high input crop, and so we do typically if we're really trying to maximize production, we'll do a cover spray every ten to fourteen days, a fung aside and insect aside. Now you don't have to do that, but again that's if you want maximum yield and fruit quality and everything. Yeah. Paches have a list of enemies, including a plumb curculio, which when you open that fruit you'll find a little worm inside the extra protein. Yeah, extra protein for you. The stink bugs will get on them and mess with the fruit. We've got leaf diseases and other things. But if you're up there in the Brenna mar you can talk to your AGR Life Extension office picture too. Yeah, and you could also send me a picture if you want to do that. Yeah, I can pass that along. Make sure, in fact, if you could do it in the next fifteen twenty minutes, we'll take a look at it here live on the show today.
Speaker 15: But if not, just unfortunately yeah, unfortunately no, but and I have seen quite a few.
Speaker 18: The foliage is beautiful, but as I said, the fruit just are getting zapped, and I have seen quite a few stink.
Speaker 15: Bugs in and around.
Speaker 18: So yeah, but I will try to get a picture of the fruit if there's any left on the ground, and I will get an email and send it to you.
Speaker 2: Skip all right, Yeah, show me the outside of the fruit and then cut Yeah, show me the outside of the fruit and then cut it open and let's look in the inside. See if you've seen any worms inside, and make sure of those two. Thanks, thanks a lot, Mark, I appreciate your call. Yeah, we're going to go to break here Liam in Brazoria. We will come to you first when we get with this news break in about ten seconds, so just hang on for the rest of you. Seven one three two one two K t R H. We'd like to visit with doctor Hartman about fruit. Hey, welcome back to Guardenline. Good to have you with us. You would like to give us a call. I'm visiting with doctor Tim Hartman, who is an assistant professor tex A and M Horticulture Department and state wide fruit specialist, and we're talking about every kind of fruit you can imagine, entering all kinds of calls about fruit questions. Uh, and I'm going to go straight to the calls. We're going to head out to Brazoria and talk to Liam this morning. Hello, Liam, Welcome to Garden Line. Patty skip.
Speaker 11: A contry.
Speaker 12: A few years ago, the.
Speaker 11: Cawer company come in and put a guy whire.
Speaker 22: We're almost right in the middle.
Speaker 12: Run over a pecan tree that was okay uh uh A friend of mine gave me and uh it was a graph tree, and I was wanting to know if I could take a branch of it and actually get uh.
Speaker 11: Off of it and start rooting it from off of a limb.
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, well, uh earlier I don't know if you're listening to the show, but okay, we were talking about juvenile versus mature and how we want would to be mature in order to be able to bear in this case pecans or not. But it is essentially impossible to root a cutting from a pecan. It just you're not going to have success. But what you can do if you go to the Aggie Horticulture website and look at the fruit and nut resources. It's a little click right there on the front page. You will see in the section of all the stuff on fruit trees there's something called the inlay and four flap graph methods. And so if you got a seedling and plant it, just get a pecan somewhere, plant them in a pot, do several pots so you make sure you get one out of it, and when they get up to a certain size, you could then take a bud i mean a stick off of your pecan tree in the winter and graft it onto the seedling tree that you plant, so you could propagate it that way, but you need to watch the videos and take some time. It's not super easy to do. But it's very doable. I've done it myself. Okay, Well thanks all right, sir, you bet, thanks, thanks for the call. Appreciate that. So we were talking about the golden kiwis a minute ago, and a question I had was about the chilling hours. You know it with so many fruit, that's very important, and so what about those chilling hours on that? Where can you plant golden kiwis around?
Speaker 1: So that's that's the hard part, because you've got the cold hardiness in, You've got the chilling issue. So for a plant that is modestly cold hardy kiwi Also, most of the varieties have a pretty high chilling requirement. So by high, I mean we're talking seven hundred to one thousand hours. The Auburn varieties has that really both totally. Both gold Golden Dragon, AU Golden Dragon AU Golden Sunshine Dragon has done the best for us. It's an Auburn University variety, but it needs at least seven hundred hours to bear. And so you know you're looking at being pretty far north, you know, probably toward I twenty and of course then you got that cold hardinessue cold heartiness issue. I still think dragon Golden Dragon and it's a female. They're separate male and female plants. You would need the male c K Dash three, also known as meteor. That's the mail the pollenizer that goes with it. I still think those are the best for Texas. Now we are testing some lower chill varieties. We think they only need about three to four hundred hours. Unfortunately, they're not available to the public yet, but maybe that'll hopefully that'll change in the next several years.
Speaker 2: Okay, well, that's a lot of good information on this. By the way, we're talking about unusual fruits and stuff that I just want to make it really clear that on these kind of obscure things. Please, if you are thinking about commercial fruit production, we're not talking to you when we're talking about these. We're talking about homeowners that are wanting to go to great links to try to grow something in the house. Doctor Hartman and I were just talking a while ago about, you know, in the backyard you can do all kinds of things that are not practical commercially, and so I just want people to not go away thinking, oh, I live in Huntsville, I'm going to plan an avocado tree. Well, no, don't do that. Go to the store. They have avocados there. Now back to the phones to Marty in Fairfield. Hey Marty, welcome to Guardline.
Speaker 13: Good morning she both of you.
Speaker 22: Hey, I have I got the tail end of your discussion on blackberries. But I was donated a punka BlackBerry.
Speaker 14: It's in a pot.
Speaker 22: He told me to put it in my garden that I don't have a room for it. How big does it get? Can I put it in a big pot?
Speaker 4: And what do I see?
Speaker 21: It?
Speaker 7: All?
Speaker 12: Right?
Speaker 2: Here we go?
Speaker 19: Uh?
Speaker 2: Punkah BlackBerry was given in a pot stowing a pot? Can she grow it in a bigger pot?
Speaker 3: Yes?
Speaker 2: And you how do you feed it? How do you take care of it to have success? On a punka? Yeah?
Speaker 1: So blackberries they can be grown in a pot. They're not a woody plant. They're not, you know, a shrub or tree. I think in general twenty twenty five gallon pots should be adequate. Doesn't mean you have to provide that size right now, but but ultimately that's what's going to be best. I would fertilize it with a slower least fertilizer. You could use Osma code or something like that. Most of these plants, including blackberries, most of these fruiting plants primarily need nitrogen. We also want to fertilize pretty early in the spring and then not really fertilized after after June. We're talking about acclamation hardiness. We want those plants to kind of slow down after June, not be really juicy going.
Speaker 3: Into the fall. Not as big of a deal for BlackBerry.
Speaker 2: But now, what about in a container for tralising a punko? What would you do because it's got some long vigorous shoots.
Speaker 1: Yeah, punka is kind of unique in that it's it's not a really vigorous plant. It has it's pretty dwarfy the internet, the internetes. The buds are really close together, so it's pretty erect on its own. So tipping, we we recommend just pinching the tip out of the really tall shoots induced branching.
Speaker 3: That'll help.
Speaker 1: But you could make a trail us out of cattle panel or something like that. Even a tomato cage, what are the real the largest tomato cage you could get would probably at least help.
Speaker 2: You'd have to secure it to the pot and then be ready when the wind blows for that pot not to blow over.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, so on your pot, make sure that you've got some weight in there or maybe a little bit of sand or something in that substrate.
Speaker 2: All right, Marty, did that answer it?
Speaker 7: Yeah?
Speaker 6: Yes, thank you so much.
Speaker 11: Good one.
Speaker 2: All right, Hey, I've never had a punk BlackBerry, but I'm so looking forward to half of the ones you grow. Thank you, Thank you ahead of time for doing it. Bye bye, bye bye. Oh, don't quite have enough time to take Tom here before we go to a break, Tom and Montgomery. I tell you what, let's start. Let's start this call and see if we may have to carry you over. Hey, Tom, welcome to garden line. Hey you, good morning guys.
Speaker 19: Just a quick question.
Speaker 17: God yellows washed cercodillo squash lees are beautiful, growing just nicely. But my fruit seems to come out about let's just call it three inches, and then they start to shrivel up.
Speaker 11: I just can't get them to go past that.
Speaker 2: Okay, do you see whiskery growth out on the belly button under the fruit or not? You may not be at the end of it, or does it, Yeah, at the end of it, or does it just shrivel where the bloom attached to the fruit.
Speaker 19: Yeah, it starts to shrivel up, but the fruit itself.
Speaker 11: I guess it starts to shrivel up as well.
Speaker 2: So okay, I don't know how long.
Speaker 3: So what that is.
Speaker 2: Yeah, on your squash, you have separate male and female blossoms. And what's happening is it's not getting pollinated or it's it's not it may you know. It could be a lack of bees carrying the pollen. It could be because of temperatures and things. Whatever reason, it doesn't make it in pollination, and it does shrivel up. Now, sometimes when we have rainy weather, like we've had a lot of here, and when the bloom falls off, it's like a little wet wound on the end of the fruit and you'll get a disease that called chow and offer a rot that actually starts to rot into the fruit. But just the shriveling itself.
Speaker 19: Uh.
Speaker 2: For for whatever reason, viable seed did not develop and that and that that or has died and that squash is not gonna yeah, not gonna make it for that reason. So not a lot you can do other than don't kill your bees.
Speaker 11: Yeah you can, you out there. Yeah, I see cucumber as well.
Speaker 19: They seem to love the cucumber.
Speaker 11: I think one bee just hopping back and forth.
Speaker 2: But well, and you can go out with a little you can artist paint brush. Uh, just get some pollen from the male flower, take it to the female flower and do that. You need to do it every morning early in the morning for the blooms shrink up.
Speaker 7: Uh.
Speaker 2: Sometimes I'll just pick a male bloom, pull the petals off and use that anther just to go around dabbing it on the female blooms without the brush. But either way you go about it or work. All right, sir, time forth, thank you, kay, thank you, all bye. All right, folks, take a quick break. We'll be right back with our last short segment with doctor Hartman. All right, welcome back to Guardline, folks. We got our last segment of the morning, and we had been enjoying picking the brain of doctor Tim Hartman. He is a Associate professor in the Department of Horticulture at Texas A and M, and state wide fruit specialist. He deals with commercial fruit growers all over the state and does a lot of research both in college station and elsewhere, looking into hey, can you grow pineapple gava here? What's the best variety? And on and on. We've talked about some of that already, and so it's been a great opportunity to have you as a resource. I appreciate that very much. Any other tip that you might give a home fruit grower in general about having success or it could be about a specific fruit, or just in general, because people go they spent a considerable amount of money on a fruit tree, and then we don't want them to and disappointment. You mentioned importance of sunlight and importance of drainage.
Speaker 3: Earlier on talked a little bit about fertilizer.
Speaker 1: We don't when we plant a new tree, especially a bear root tree, we do not fertilize it. We want that thing to develop a root system before we push a lot of shoot growth on it. Later in the spring, you can give it a little bit of fertilizer, but otherwise we don't want to really put anything but soil back in that hole when we plant.
Speaker 2: So now we've got a lot of fruit being grown in containers and we have the circling root issue that can happen. I always tell people to cut the roots on the outside. I know that's a shock to the plant, but I did I think at an Arborgate Garden Center nursery up in Tumble where we pulled a tree out of a pot, cut the roots, put it in, and came back two weeks later and there's all these fresh white roots coming right out of that cuts. Don't be afraid to do it, but that's important if you wanted to establish well.
Speaker 3: Yeah, especially per simmons and pecans are the worst about that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because they're going to get real big. Yeah, they will really do that temperate circling, Okay.
Speaker 2: So make sure and take care of that so you can have success. Looks like we may have time for a quick call here, got one coming in. Just thinking about fruit and mistakes that people often make. I do see the lack of sunlight on a lot of plants, even in a vegetable garden. If you're growing leafy greens, it can take some. Shade doesn't want it, but it can take some. But if it's got roots and fruit that are full of carbohydrates, you got to put it in the sun. So roots and fruit in the most sun and leafy greens, if you've got to shove something in the shade, they'll take it. But with fruit, we have some that do, okay. I've seen some citrus in a little bit of shade, or maybe a fig tree and a little bit of shade.
Speaker 3: Blueberries, especially blueberry berries, are pretty forgiving.
Speaker 2: Okay, So if you're determined to have one and you just can't sell your trees down, blueberry might be one, but not a lot of shade.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you still want at least six hours of full sun, and try to if you're going to give it shade, try to give it afternoon shades. So you would plant that tree, that plant to the east if your tree or your house or whatever is blocking it.
Speaker 2: All right, well, let's we got a call here. We're going to run try to get him in here. Allan in Texas City. Hey, welcome to garden mane Alan. Good morning.
Speaker 4: My quick question is I just planted a couple a lemon and a lime tree, probably just a few months ago, out in the middle of the yard. It gets about ten hours of aur longer of sunlight. But they're not doing too well, and I thought I planted them properly. My question is, can I do playing them the way I've been listening to y'all today, tight them correctly?
Speaker 2: Okay, boy, that's a very good question. Doc Harmon Allen's planted elemon and a lime and they're just not doing well. They get plenty of sun, like ten hours of sun. But at this point, would he dig them up? He was listening to us talk about the soil. Would he dig him up now and then redo that bed, make it right and then replant them or I don't know, I'm just thinking out loud. Would you have him wait till fall?
Speaker 12: Or what?
Speaker 1: Yeah, if if you're convinced it's kind of a lose lose situation with respect to the soil, yeah you could dig them up, but yeah, I would wait till fall to do it.
Speaker 3: This is just such a I mean, we're going to the heat of summer. This is such a tough time.
Speaker 2: Because no matter how careful you are, alan when you dig it up, you're going to tear up a lot of the active uptaking root system of those plants.
Speaker 4: Okay, Like where I live at it used to be like a cow pasture, so nothing but a sandy soily area. So I added some soil to it, and you know, dug it and made the rootball ground level.
Speaker 2: But now I want to like that. I don't think they're doing too well. So I just thought about what I'm doing well. I don't know. It's situation doesn't sound too bad to me. Lots of sand. Now, when you said you made the root ball ground level, you're talking about the top of the of the cylinder of roots that you bought in the pot, or are you talking about you your whole plant was above ground level?
Speaker 4: What the black better dug a hole out? I would have set the pot in the ground. That top of that root ball would have been ground level.
Speaker 2: Oh good, okay, well, that's good. You didn't plant it too deep. But in a lot of sand. I don't know. You shouldn't shouldn't have you do have a lot of sand?
Speaker 4: Yes, nothing, but practically that.
Speaker 2: Sind and clay. Well, the bottom line is this, does it drain well or not? And I don't know what how high that clay level is and the underneath there. But you can dig a hole with a little postolele egger or just dig straight down. H Maybe I would go like a foot and a half and fill it with water and see how long it takes for the water to drain out of that hole. If it drains out in eight hours, you're good. You're good. If it takes it twenty four hours. You're okay. If it takes it two days, you got it. You definitely need to raise good for.
Speaker 4: That, Okay, Okay, I do see a lot of spiders in it. That calls me poet of the seven does.
Speaker 2: No, sir, there, No spiders are good. They're there to eat their their cornivores, and they're they're eating other insects.
Speaker 3: Love spiders.
Speaker 2: We love to see spiders.
Speaker 3: Spider.
Speaker 2: I love spiders. That's right, that's right.
Speaker 4: I've never seen so many spiders in my and in my backyard. I haven't any place I've lived in my life. But but okay, thank you.
Speaker 2: There you go. Well, let them live until you know, we said Faull. But if if you can let them go into even a cooler season, it's a little you know, a little less stress on them. But late fall, maybe November, it might be a good time to do the digging. Yeah, all right, thank you, Ellen, appreciate that. A couple of minutes here, how do we wind up our time on so many more questions and so little time? Okay, here, here's the thing. Subpruit requires pollinators, and some don't. Peaches don't, and figs don't, and per simmons really don't need it.
Speaker 19: Uh.
Speaker 2: But then we got these things like blueberries and plums and pears, apple that are kind of in between. You know, so what what would you recommend on those things and what like? Why would you I'm just going to cut to the chack. Why would you plant two different blueberries because one blueberry could have some fruit on it? Right?
Speaker 1: Yeah, So I get this question all the time. I'll give away a tree or whatever do I need to okay, And the question is do we need cross pollination? Okay, apples, pears, a lot of plums, I'm sure, blueberries in general. Okay, A lot of these crops need cross pollination. They are not capable of pollinating themselves.
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 1: So if you're looking at I don't know, saying a Dorset gold apple, okay, you need another apple tree to pollinate that tree. Okay, doesn't do any good to have another Dorset gold. That is, basically, if you have two Dorset Golds, you're basically doing self pollination. Still you plant something like an anna apple though next to it, you're basically you have two varieties that are genetically different. They bloom at the same time, they are swapping pollen with each other. They swap pollen and they will set fruit. And even varieties like Anna is a self fruitful apple, Methley is a self fruitful plum. Even these self fruitful varieties, in these crops that normally need cross pollination, they will set better. Actually you'll get more fruit generally, like when blueberries get larger fruit if you get that cross pollination. Okay, And of course you need the insects to move that pollen around.
Speaker 2: All right, And that's very important and a good point. And when someone has a lonely hearts club tree that needs a pollinator and it's blooming, you could go to a neighbor of a different variety, put it in a coke can full of lot or tie up to the and let the bees visit both. How often do you think you ought to replace those branches? Maybe every couple of days.
Speaker 3: Depends on the crop, but yeah, probably twice a week or something like that.
Speaker 2: Well, that'll give you time to go buy that other tree so that your poor tree has a partner and have good fruit.
Speaker 3: Or if you're feeling really adventurous, you could try grafting a branch.
Speaker 2: O there you go, oh wow, you got fruit fruit cock. We've been talking with doctor Tim Hartman today from the Horticulture Department in Texas, A and M fruit specialists. Tim, I can't thank you enough. This has been great, as as you could tell from the calls that we're coming in. People love fruit, good topic, good information. This has been fun. Thank you for having me, all right, thank you very much for coming. Well, folks, there you go. I'll be back on guard Line six am tomorrow morning. I'll be there with a cup of coffee. Will you show up. I hope you will be there from six to ten. Remember, you can listen on the radio, you can listen on the iHeartMedia app either way, and we'll be wide open for questions during the six and seven o'clock hour at least