Speaker 1: Welcome to our deep dive into reverse engineering with IDA pro. You sent over some excerpts from the IDA pro book. Yeah, so it looks like you're ready to really get into the nuts and bolts of software.
Speaker 2: Absolutely. Yeah, it's a whole world where we kind of get to look under the hood and see how things actually work.
Speaker 1: I've always wondered, like who uses IDA pro.
Speaker 2: You know, it's used by like security researchers obviously, you know, analyzing malware and things like that, but also like software engineers, Oh wow, who have to deal with legacy code and they need to update something or figure out how something works.
Speaker 1: So when you say like figure out how something works, what does that actually mean? What's IDA pro doing?
Speaker 2: Well, you know, computers run on machine code, which is just ones and zeros, right, and that's not very human readable. So ida pro takes those ones and zeros and turns them into assembly language, which is a little more human readable.
Speaker 1: Okay, So it's like a translator yeah, exactly between computer and something we can at least try to understand.
Speaker 2: And it stores all that information in a database that you can work with, which is in dot IDB file and you don't even need the original program to look at the analysis after that.
Speaker 1: So backing up a little bit, how does IDA pro even know what kind of file it's looking at? I mean a lot of times you can't tell by the file extension.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you can't go by file extensions, you know, it's very surface level. You need to look at the actual contents of the file.
Speaker 1: So it's like more than just judging a book by its cover. It's actually looking inside and kind of getting a fingerprint.
Speaker 2: It uses things called magic numbers, which are like digital fingerprints that tell you what type of file it is.
Speaker 1: So once you know what you're looking at, what are some of the things that IDA can do well.
Speaker 2: It can identify like standard library routines that a lot of programs use, okay, and by identifying those, you can kind of like skip over those parts and look at the more unique parts of the code.
Speaker 1: So it's kind of like if you were reading a book, you could skip the chapters that are the same in every book, yeah, exactly, and get to the good stuff.
Speaker 2: It can also do things like visualized code as graphs, so you can see like a map of how the program flows. Wow, all the different paths it can take.
Speaker 1: That's got to be really helpful, especially for like more complicated code.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and you know, you can even extend IDA to support new processors, processors that haven't even been invented yet.
Speaker 1: So okay, we've talked about what it can do, but what does it actually look like when you're using IDA pro.
Speaker 2: Well, when you open it up, you see like a multi windowed interface. Okay, it might seem a little overwhelming at first, but each window serves a specific purpose.
Speaker 1: Okay, So you have like different tools.
Speaker 2: In there, yeah, exactly. Like you have the graph view, which we talked about right, shows the code flow. There's the text view, which shows the disassemble code line by line.
Speaker 1: It's a lot of different ways to look at it. Yeah.
Speaker 2: You have the functions window, which lists all the functions that it's identified in the program.
Speaker 1: And then you have the output window.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the output window which shows you messages from idea, and the strings window, which is really useful for finding like human reatable text.
Speaker 1: So you have to kind of know how to navigate all those different windows. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, it's actually designed to be pretty intuitive. You can jump to certain addresses in the code, okay. You can use like the navigation history like a web browser.
Speaker 1: So you can go back.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and you can follow like cross references, which are like links between different parts of the code, so.
Speaker 1: Like a map and a compass for software.
Speaker 2: Exactly.
Speaker 1: All right, well let's talk about those instructions. So I imagine it's like steps in a recipe or something.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Some instructions are just executed sequentially, one after the other, like a recipe, right, But other instructions can introduce like branching.
Speaker 1: So the program can go in different directions.
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly. It's called conditional branching.
Speaker 1: An idea pro can can help you look at all those different paths. Yeah.
Speaker 2: It disassembles both paths of a branch, so you can see like all the potential flows of execution.
Speaker 1: And then you have function calls, which are like mini programs within the bigger program. Yeah exactly, So that can get really complicated.
Speaker 2: You know, understanding how those function calls work is really crucial for understanding the logic of a program.
Speaker 1: So how do these functions communicate with each other?
Speaker 2: Well, that's where calling conventions come in. They're like the rules of etiquette for how functions talk to each other.
Speaker 1: So why is it important to understand the calling conventions?
Speaker 2: Because if you don't understand the rules of communication, then you're not going to understand what the code is doing. It's like trying to understand a foreign language without knowing the grammar.
Speaker 1: Okay. And so there are different types of calling conventions.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Like common ones are sedical and SETI.
Speaker 1: Call, and id pro can help you understand which calling convention is being used.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it gives you clues and helps you decipher it.
Speaker 1: But it's hard to keep track of all that data moving between these functions.
Speaker 2: Well, that's where stack frames come in. Each function has like a little workspace and memory where it stores its local variables and parameters and things like that.
Speaker 1: So it's like its own little office exactly.
Speaker 2: And ida pro lets you view those stack frames and even modify them.
Speaker 1: Wow, this is getting really complicated.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but he's pretty powerful.
Speaker 1: I'm hooked. I want to learn more.
Speaker 2: All right, let's get good. So we've been talking about code, but what about data. How does ida pro handle the data?
Speaker 1: Yeah, because it's not just about the instructions, right, it's about how the program actually uses data exactly.
Speaker 2: Yeah, have the instructions like the verbs, but you need the nouns to understand what's going on. So ida pro goes beyond just showing you a bunch of raw bites.
Speaker 1: Oh okay.
Speaker 2: It lets you define data types, erase structures, all kinds of things.
Speaker 1: Wait, structures, what are those?
Speaker 2: Well, imagine you have a program that's storing information about people. Each person has a name and age, an address.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 2: A structure lets you group all that data together under one name.
Speaker 1: So instead of seeing just a bunch of variables, you see like a person with information.
Speaker 2: And ida pro lets you create and apply these structures to make the disassembly much more readable.
Speaker 1: Oh that's cool. Yeah, especially if you're working with some kind of complex data format.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and remember those type libraries we talked about. Those come in hand and here too, because id pro has these libraries that define standard data structures.
Speaker 1: So it's like a reference guide yeah for a data format.
Speaker 2: So it can often automatically recognize and apply these structures for you.
Speaker 1: Well that's awesome. Saves you a lot of time.
Speaker 2: And once you have the code and the data well defined, you can start to see the bigger picture. Okay, this is where idpro's graphing capabilities come in.
Speaker 1: The graphs, right, Why are these so important again?
Speaker 2: Well, they give you a visual representation of the relationships between different parts of the program. They can show you how code flows within a function, how functions call each other, how data.
Speaker 1: Is accessed, so it's like a map of the software exactly.
Speaker 2: And there are two main types of graphs.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 2: You have external graphs, which use separate graphing applications, and then you have integrated graphs, which are built right into IDA so.
Speaker 1: You don't have to leave id pro.
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly. And the integrated graphs are really cool because they're interactive.
Speaker 1: What does that mean.
Speaker 2: Well, you can zoom in and out, you can pan around, you can click on different nodes in the graph to jump to.
Speaker 1: The corresponding kind Oh that's awesome.
Speaker 2: It makes it much more engaging to understand the structure of the program.
Speaker 1: And there were different types of graphs, right, yeah, like flow chart graphs. Those show the flow of the program.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the flow of execution within a function, okay. And then you have call graphs, which show you the hierarchy of function calls, like who calls who exactly.
Speaker 1: So it seems like there's a lot of customization that you can do in IDA pro.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Absolutely.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: One of the first things you want to look at is the configuration options. You can customize like the font, the colors, keyboard shortcuts, all kinds of.
Speaker 1: Things, so you can make it work the way you want it to exactly.
Speaker 2: And then if you want to go even further, you can use ida Pro's scripting language IDC.
Speaker 1: I've heard about IDC scripting, but like, what can you actually do with it?
Speaker 2: Oh? All kinds of things. Let's say you're analyzing a program that uses a custom encryption algorithm. You could write an IDC script to automatically decrypt the data.
Speaker 1: Oh wow.
Speaker 2: Or you could use it to rename a bunch of functions that have like generic names.
Speaker 1: Oh. So it's like you have these little helpers working behind the scenes exactly. And you can even go beyond IDC scripting with like external plug in.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you can write plugins to add whole new features to id pro.
Speaker 1: So it's like you're expanding on its capability exactly. Wow. That's a lot.
Speaker 2: But even with all this power, sometimes you need a little extra help and that's where FLIRTA comes in.
Speaker 1: FLOORTA What was that again?
Speaker 2: It stands for Fast Library Identification and Recognition Technology.
Speaker 1: Oh okay, I remember you mentioned that.
Speaker 2: It's really helpful because it lets ida pro automatically identify standard library functions.
Speaker 1: Why that's so important, Well.
Speaker 2: A lot of programs use common libraries for things like string manipulation, map operations.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 2: Without flotaate, you would have to manually analyze those library functions every time.
Speaker 1: Oh, that would be tedious.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it would be really time consuming. Yeah, So floirtaate basically takes care of that for you, so you.
Speaker 1: Can focus on the interesting parts of the code. Exactly how does it even work?
Speaker 2: Well, it uses these things called signature files, which are basically databases of function signatures. Okay, and when ideapro loads a binary, it compares the code to those signature files.
Speaker 1: So it's like a fingerprint databasect library functions.
Speaker 2: And if it finds a match, it can tell you exactly what that function is, what it's calling convention is, what parameters it takes.
Speaker 1: That's amazing. So what about when you have custom functions or functions with non standard calling conventions? How do you deal with those?
Speaker 2: That's where understanding those calling conventions and the stack comes.
Speaker 1: In the calling convention. Those were the rules of etiquette right exactly for how functions talk to each other. Yea, and the stack was like a temporary workspace exactly.
Speaker 2: So different calling conventions use the stack in different ways. Some require the caller to clean up the stack after a function call, Others require the function itself to do the cleaning.
Speaker 1: So if you don't know which convention's being used, you could misinterpret what's happening exactly.
Speaker 2: You might think data is being passed when it's not, or you might miss something important about how the function is managing its data.
Speaker 1: So you have to know the secret handshake, yeah, for each different.
Speaker 2: Function, and idea pro can actually help you figure out which handshake is being used. Cool by analyzing the code.
Speaker 1: So how can we see what's happening on the stack as the program is running.
Speaker 2: That's where the debugger comes in.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, the debugger.
Speaker 2: It lets you step through the code one instruction at a time, and you can see how data is pushed onto the stack and popped off the stack.
Speaker 1: So you can actually see the stack in action.
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 1: That's incredible.
Speaker 2: It's a really powerful tool.
Speaker 1: We've covered a lot.
Speaker 2: We've only just scratched the surface of what ideapro can do and the techniques that reverse engineers use.
Speaker 1: But this is a good start, right, Yeah.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, it's a great foundation to build upon.
Speaker 1: So we talked about analyzing code and data, you know, understanding those functions and how they communicate with each other, even using that debugger to step through the program. But I imagine like things get even more complicated when developers try to make their code hard to understand on purpose.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you're talking about obfuscated code. It's a common tactic, especially for like malware authors who want to hide what their code is doing.
Speaker 1: So it's like they're trying to make it look like a big tangled mess of spaghetti so nobody can figure out the recipe.
Speaker 2: Obfuscation techniques can range from simple things like renaming variables to more complex things that actually change the structure and logic of the code.
Speaker 1: So how do reverse engineers even begin to make sense of that? Does IDA pro help with that at all?
Speaker 2: Yeah? It does. The debugger is really helpful here, okay, because it lets you step through the code and observe its behavior and look for clues about how the obfuscation is being applied or removed.
Speaker 1: So it's like peeling back the layers of an onion to get to the real code. Underneath.
Speaker 2: And once you've identified those key points in the code where the obfuscation is being handled, you can often use IDA pro scripting capabilities to automate the deoffuscation process.
Speaker 1: Wow, that's pretty cool.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you can write scripts to like unpack data, decrypt code, even emulate the obfuscation routines to get back to the original code.
Speaker 1: So you really need to understand both how the obfuscation works and how to use IDA pros scripting.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it can be pretty challenging, but it's often necessary to understand what the code is really doing, especially if.
Speaker 1: You think it might be malicious. Right, speaking of malicious code, you mentioned that IDA pros often used for vulnerability analysis. Yeah, can you tell me more about that.
Speaker 2: So a vulnerability is basically a weakness and a piece of software that an attacker could exploit to gain unauthorized access or control.
Speaker 1: So they're looking for like security holes.
Speaker 2: Exactly, and IDEA pro is a great tool for finding and analyzing these vulnerabilities.
Speaker 1: How do they actually use it to find them?
Speaker 2: Well, they use it to dissect the software, looking for common coding errors that can lead to vulnerabilities, things like buffer overflows where data is written beyond the allocated space and memory or form a string vulnerabilities where an attacker can manipulate the way data is formatted to gain control of the program's execution.
Speaker 1: That sounds pretty complicated, Yeah it is.
Speaker 2: It's a specialized field, but the tools and techniques are fundamentally the same as those used for general reverse engineering.
Speaker 1: And you mentioned earlier that IDA pro has a built in debugger. Is that used for vulnerability analysis as well?
Speaker 2: Oh? Absolutely, It's invaluable because it allows you to step through the code and observe how data is handled and identify those potential points of weakness where an attacker might be able to inject malicious code or manipulate the program's behavior.
Speaker 1: So again, it's like being a detective looking for clues.
Speaker 2: And one of the most effective techniques for vulnerability analysis is called differential analysis. It involves comparing different versions of a program, typically a patched version and an unpatched version, to see.
Speaker 1: What's changed, So you're looking for the differences.
Speaker 2: Exactly, and by analyzing those differences, security researchers can often identify the code that was vulnerable and understand how the patch fixed the issue.
Speaker 1: So they can figure out how to protect against attacks. Right, that's amazing. It sounds like a constant arms race is between the security researchers and the attackers.
Speaker 2: You know, as attackers develop new techniques and exploit new vulnerabilities, the defenders have to adapt and develop new countermeasures.
Speaker 1: Well, it's definitely a fascinating field and an important one too. Absolutely, we've covered so much ground in this deep dive. We have from the basics of reverse engineering to some pretty advanced techniques. Yeah, anything else you want to add before we wrap up.
Speaker 2: I think we've touched on the most important aspects, But I do want to emphasize that this is just the beginning. Reverse engineering is a vast and constantly evolving field.
Speaker 1: So there's always more to learn.
Speaker 2: Yeah, always more to learn, new tools and techniques, to explore new challenges to tackle.
Speaker 1: It sounds exciting and maybe a little bit daunting.
Speaker 2: It can be both, but IDPro is a really powerful and with dedication and a thirst for knowledge, you can unlock a lot of the secrets of the digital world.
Speaker 1: Well, I'm definitely inspired to learn more. Thanks for taking us on this deep dive into idea pro.
Speaker 2: You're welcome.
Speaker 1: It's been great.
Speaker 2: It's been my pleasure,