Speaker 1: Callaroga Shark Media.
Speaker 2: Hey there, Johenni mag with your daily comedy news man. I hope Andrew Schultz is okay. The poor guy, he just went out to take in some professional wrestling and he's there and Logan Paul wanted to hear Andrew say some nice things about Logan Paul, but Andrew preferred to name Seth Rollins and see him punk and the phenomenal one and boy Logan Paul did not like that, pulling Andrew Schultz out of the crowd. Luckily, AJ Styles came to the rescue. Let's listen.
Speaker 1: I know who I want to see. I want to see AJ Styles. That's who I want to see the night. Jeez oh no, come on, Logan, he's a guest.
Speaker 2: Come.
Speaker 3: Andrew Schultze is special on Netflix right now called Life.
Speaker 2: He might not have one soon.
Speaker 3: He is absolutely spectacular.
Speaker 2: This is no way to be trading a come.
Speaker 1: Ind Janus so log and he's a cast claudad Tjo Come on now, loggany cat.
Speaker 3: Th fire comes Styles.
Speaker 1: Styles.
Speaker 2: You wanna call out Paul and.
Speaker 3: I but now he comes out there to say Schultz and out Styles and Paul coming at it.
Speaker 1: Hey take Styles, it's hard to talk.
Speaker 2: The folks over at Hilarious, you know, my my friends at Hulu. They put together a really good campaign, this one from Adweek. Jim Gaffigan, Bill Burr, and Sebastian Maniscalco are sitting in a diner and in walks the Hulu mascot, which is basically the Hulu logo with like, uh, you know, mascot arms and legs. It's a big time campaign including out of home ads placed near comedy venues in La New York and Chicago. Is that where you need to reach? People think you need to reach Middle America? I guess this is just an imaging piece, a social media placements Influencer partnerships, Hi, Hello, Hello, Hello so uh Hulu dudes, come on man, I know it's not the biggest show, but it's the right show and I have filled out the Hulu media relations form and no one got back to me. You can get back to me. Go your show sucks, it's terrible, your bad mouths all the time. The show's too small. That's fine, but come on, someone get back to me. Influencer partnerships but not podcasts dedicated to fans of stand up comedy. Digital banners bus takeovers and dedicated billboards and posters at locations like Walt Disney World, at Disneyland Resort and in Times Square. Boy, this is a lot of money. Anyway. The forty five second spot is called meet Up and it's pretty good.
Speaker 3: Let's take a listen, all right, it's just about well, I wanted to introduce you guys to something or some way.
Speaker 1: Is this about religion?
Speaker 2: No, No, because you're always doing.
Speaker 3: That here they are, Bill Sebastian. I'd like to introduce you to Hulu. Oh wow, Hulu is getting into the stand up business and I think you guys would be perfect for it. They're calling it hilarious. Jim, Yeah, what is that? Well, that's the Hulu mascot. I think it's trying to shake your hand.
Speaker 2: Brand you stand up specials every month and now streaming on Hulu. Why is it looking at me like that? It's not looking at you. It doesn't have a face. According to Aaron Goldman, EVP Creative Marketing of Disney Entertainment Television, it was Jim Gaffigan, who were told has a history in advertising, who came up with the concept for the spot and was quote a great partner in bringing Bill Burr and Sebastian Maniscalcout together for the campaign. HM possibly perhaps may be true. Also possibly perhaps in their contracts they have you know usually with these things, Hey, we're gonna give you a lot of money, you gotta do a couple of promotional hits. Could have been that, or Jim was just like, Hey, Bill and Sebastian, can the three of us jump on a zoom? I got to pitch you an idea? Who knows? Goldman said it was a total partnership from the beginning. Jim wrote the script and collaborated with Ryan Brasno, the SVP of Creative Marketing for Hulu, and Johnny Mazur, who is the executive creative director for Brand Marketing, who Gaff again collaborated with those guys to bring it to life. I should note that the three comedians also improvised in riffed, which added some hilarious beats that ended up in the creative Guys, this is a forty five second commercial, so Jim sketched out I don't know, the three of us are in a diner and the Hulu mascot walks in. This is not Godfather too. Goldman noted that in addition to the full spot, there will be shorter pieces rolling out on social and he also talked about the song. We made a custom hilarious song which is featured in the spot, based on Duran durant'z Notorious. We changed the lyrics to hularious and hopefully created a song that you can't get out of your head now. On that, I was curious who the hell sold out to Hulu? Was it Simon Labaugh who did this? And I have learned from the internet. Warner Chapel Music as a Chapel as a Chappelle, It's not Dave Chappelle. Warner Chapel Music and Sony ATV Music ablishing own parts of Duran Durand's catalog. The Warner folks own the rights of the catalog from eighty six to the present, including many of the band's hits, including Notorious. They also own the publishing rights to all the band's current and future compositions. Wow Future deal Duran Duran did Wow. I am a I won't say I'm the biggest Duran Duran fan, but I've been known to drive around listening to Duran Duran and you could play both hungry like the Wolf and Rio on Endless Repeat and I Will never tell you to turn it off. Notorious is also one of my favorite Stranduran songs and also a big fan of A View to a Kill, which is, as you know, the best James Bond theme. Goldman tells us they're looking at using the Hulu mascot as a connective thread for future hilarious campaigns, and he got the funny in saying, in the meantime we take turns wearing it to the office. Bill Burr is out tomorrow, then in April we get Jessica Curson, august Ralph Barbosa and Sebastian Maniscalco. In November, this article didn't mention who else is in the list. I'm racking my brain here to remember who else they announced, and I'm not sure that they've announced anybody. Maybe I forgot one anyway, Hulu, paul A Sis get back to Me. Trey Crowder specials out today on the eight hundred pound Grilla YouTube channel. In trash Daddy, Trey tackles everything from the absurdity of cultural and social stereotypes to his unusual and hilarious childhood upbringings as he reflects on the ultimate parental role as a trash daddy. And you to see who the New York Times profiled. They profiled friend of the show, Jason Zenneman of The New York Times. Jason and I actually recently connected. He's going to come on the show in a few weeks as we get closer to the twentieth anniversary of Mitch Hedberg passing away. I'm a big fan of Mitch and just wanted to observe the moment, and I asked Jason to common So we're gonna record that in a week or so. Other people at The New York Times ask Jason, which do you enjoy more? By the way, this article speaks to me, I am aligned with everything Jason says. Here, Jason Zieman, which do you enjoy more? Finding a new angle on a well known figure or introducing readers to an unfamiliar subject. Now, if you listen to me every day, you know what I'm going to say. You know what I say about the festivals, right, Jason said, I take more satisfaction in writing about somebody who nobody knows about. One of the great things about this beat is you spend time in improv houses and clubs, and get a sense of who's gonna break big in the future. I remember seeing Hannah Gatsby at this tiny theater. I was like, this is going to be a big part of the discourse, and it's engaging in some really provocative ideas. Being the first critic to see her show in American and introduce her to readers was really satisfying a men a million years ago. Back at Sirius, I used to really love spotlighting artists. I remember we had Hannibal Burris week. I remember we did Tim Mention Week. We used to love going out of our way and going, hey, audience, check out this really cool person who you haven't heard of yet. Jason ads, I think one of the jobs of critics is to say just because something is popular doesn't mean it's good. These people who are not getting a spotlight or often some of the most gifted artists times. How has the comedy landscape changed and you started covering it fifteen years ago, Jason, Increasingly their artists doing work on TikTok and Instagram, that we need to do a better job of figuring out ways to recognize For a lot of teenagers, their introduction to comedies like mine their first experience with comedy isn't watching late night talk shows. Their stand up comic is probably gonna be on social media, So we have to meet people where they are.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 2: That's interesting to me and I totally respect it. For my personal thing doing this podcast, I feel like if I started getting on here and chasing after TikTok comedians, I would be the Paul Bashimi, Hello fellow kids, meme and just at some point it's not my generation, it's not my thing. I will stay in my lane. I admit to living on old Man Mountain and don't think Jason's wrong. I just think if I started doing it, it would be like, come on, oh Man. Jason says he sees live comedy three or four times a week. I still go out a lot, but less. There's two reasons for that. One to get a sense of who's out there. There's less of a need to go as often. I totally get that. But the bigger reason is the bounty of comedians online. When I started this job, I was covering comedy as a kin to covering theater. Before I wrote about someone, I wanted to see them live. But increasingly the way that most people are consuming comedies through social media and streaming platforms. So now I spend more and more time looking at comedians online and listening to podcasts. That totally makes sense. And you've heard you talk about this. I'm glad Jason said it. The question are you someone who laughs out loud at shows? I call this emperor of room syndrome. Jason said, I suffer from the same thing that most comedians do, which is that if you see as much comedy as I do, you laugh less. That that doesn't mean I enjoy it less. I'm not someone who laughs a lot in the audience. Sometimes that makes me self conscious because if I'm in a room with very few people, it has a big impact if no one's laughing. So I've even found myself at times fake laughing just to not distort the room, or because I feel it's almost rude not to. But I try to be honest with my laughter. Great stuff. A big fan of Jason's work. iHeart had their twenty twenty five iHeart Podcast Awards. This is one of those awards that if you win, you're excited, and if you're not part of it, you just kind of eye roll it. It's you know, iHeart they make podcasts. I'm not saying that they have their thumb on the scale, but you know there are basement podcasts like this one, and then there are the establishment podcasts. So you know, Best Sports Podcast went to the Kelsey Brothers. Sure, but you know, I bet if we really dug down, somebody's doing like a really great Kansas City Royals podcast, if we really took the time to look. But that's not how these big shiny awards like. And the winner for Best Podcast goes to Tony and Jose from Kansas City. They host Royals Talk like that doesn't make for a good award show, So understand what this is the podcast of the year, Las Culturistas with Matt Rogers and Bowen Yang. I'm not saying it's bad. I'm just saying, you know, somebody's probably doing a pretty good Game of Thrones podcast out there too. It just doesn't make for a good award show. On a same note, Best comedy podcast, Fly on the Wall A'sdana Carvey David Spade sure makes a lot of news, great stories, SNL, hot topic, talented guys, funny guys, a great podcast to listen to. Same thing, and I'm not saying, oh, I should have shot I should not have won Best Comedy Podcast, No way. But you know, is uh Carvey and Spade better than what Tim Dillon's doing? I don't think so. Best ad Read got to give it out an award for Best ad Read for some reason, that went to Conan O'Brien. Speaking of Conan, Late Nighter reports that Conan O'Brien Must Go has been for a third season. Well, yeah, Conan is red hot right now, although Late Nighter points out, for those paying close attention, the announcement is less a season three pick up as much as they shuffling the deck of what we already had. They explained Conan's second season was set to run for six episodes that was ordered just after a month, but according to the new announcement, season two will now consist of just three episodes, and HBO did not specify how many episodes have been ordered for season three. I'm gonna guess three. Netflix just did this with Megan Markle. They said, oh yeah, we renewed Megan Marko for season two. The thing is those episodes already in the can. That's like me telling you this podcast has already been renewed. For next Weekend. Season two all three episodes. Dun't do you hate that when like you're excited at something, are you watching the Pit? The Pit is the medical drama on Max. Fifteen episodes. It's almost like old school TV. You remember we used to get twenty six episodes of things in the good old days. Now we usually get eight. Term in case of Con O'Brian, we get three. Fifteen is amazing anyway. Conon O'Brian Season two all three episodes coming out in May. Rommi usef as a project called Number one Happy Family USA, which follows a Muslim American family in post nine to eleven America. The premiere it takes place on September tenth, two thousand and one. I can tell you exactly where it was that day. I was at Jones Beach romy premier these series at the south By Southwest TV and Film Festival and explained there's a representation warning in the beginning of every episode that tells you not to use this show as representation. I've had a very torn relationship with representation and the idea of what it should do or what it is. This is a show about capitalism. I think when you watch the first couple episodes. You'll see that, but it's certainly not representative of Arabs or Muslims, many of which I think will see things that they really appreciate, and other things will be like, what the f Rommi, why did you do this stuff? You revealed he pitched the series during Trump's first term. That's how long it's been. Remember the happy Trump be sad Now by the way, I don't know if you guys noticed the audience laughed. I don't think he likes this either. I haven't seen him smile once the whole the first time. He's always laughing. So yeah, shout out to him. This guy's miserable. Send your letters to Robbie usef. All eight episodes premiere April seventeenth on Prime Video. And that is your comedy news today. Back tomorrow we'll talk about Mullenie. I didn't forget about Mullenie. But I'd also on stay up til one am to record the podcast and Bill Burr as a special. I don't know if you heard about that. That's out tomorrow as well, So plenty to talk about tomorrow. See then,