Speaker 1: We can kill it. Shouted it out there? What hell are you?
Speaker 2: Welcome back to midnight viewing. More specifically, we're talking yaucha fest. I heard an interview with Dan Trackckenberg recently, and evidently I've been saying it wrong this entire time. What a crime?
Speaker 3: HB, yao sa yalloa is a yaucha?
Speaker 2: Get the fuck out of here with that nonsense. I wait about this time for that. All right, ladies and gentlemen, kids and germs and smith mars. This is the one. Oh no, we did pray. This is the stopgap. This was a surprise. This was a secret project. Evidently nobody knew about it while they were doing it. They were doing it in conjunction or at the same time as Predator bad Lands.
Speaker 4: All Right, Dan Tracktenburg is full of surprises, as will be this discussion. I think you'll find father alone. This discussion on killer of Killers will be full of surprises as well.
Speaker 2: Okay, that means that HB didn't like it, evidently, so let's find out why. First of all, here's the trailer.
Speaker 1: You are old enough. Now it's time I tell you about the monster. We must kill it or it will kill us.
Speaker 2: Old editor and Killer of Killers, released on June sixth, twenty five, on streaming only. This is a Hulu jam. It is directed by Dan Tracktonberg, screenplay by Mishow Robert Rutari, Story by Dan Tracktonberg and Me Show Robert Routari, based on characters by Who Say It with Me? Everybody? Jim and John Thomas. And this one stars Lindsay Lavanchi, Louis Ozawa, Rick Gonzalez, and Michael B. HB. What did you say this? What does you think of this one?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 2: Actually, no, I'm going to take that back. Let me just say it is rare in the midst of a franchise to receive the gift of an anthology. We hear at midnight viewing specialize in anthologies. So what a welcome fucking dessert this was for me. I love short fiction. I love slices of fiction. Now, HP, did you know that part of the inspiration for this film a side of Dan Tracktenberg saying a pulp fiction is also an anthology because most people think of horror anthologies when they think of anthologies at all. But do you know that part of the inspiration for this film was best in show.
Speaker 4: That I did not know, and I'm searching trying to find the Is it just because of the fact that you're dealing with five or six different groups of dog competitors?
Speaker 3: Is at the tie in that's part of it? Okay?
Speaker 4: What's the formal connection between the two?
Speaker 2: You meet each of those characters individually, you fall in love with them and their own particular stories, and then you have to watch them battle at the end.
Speaker 3: Ah. Interesting.
Speaker 4: Now can I up for one minute before we get into this. I just I feel the need to bring this up now. I didn't want to imply that I did not like this. I'm maybe I'm spoiling the discussion a little bit, but it's not that I did not like it.
Speaker 3: It's just we'll get into it.
Speaker 4: But just understand, first of all, I love the fact that this was a surprise that was sprung on people.
Speaker 3: Without any real notice.
Speaker 4: It was like getting a present on when it's not Christmas.
Speaker 2: It reminded me.
Speaker 4: It reminded me a little bit of when musicians sometimes have a surprise album drop. Bowie did this with the next day. I remember it was a big deal to me because it came out of nowhere. He hadn't recorded in forever, and there we had this gift of an album kind of out of the blue. So I really I love the fact that trackten Berger. It makes me feel like he values the fans and loves that shock, surprise and appreciation of something that kind of out of It's not like he had to do it.
Speaker 2: He did.
Speaker 4: He wasn't under any obligation to give us these the gift of this movie or this animated collection of shorts. But so all due respect to Trachtenberg, I love the fact that we were gifted this essentially.
Speaker 3: But let's dig into it a little bit.
Speaker 4: And I'll go into some of my the pros and cons, my likes and dislikes of this.
Speaker 2: Too late. You didn't like get the atracted Mercades.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I hope not, because I respect the hell out of him. I love I love what he's done with the franchise. But let's dig into this a little bit.
Speaker 2: Let us do that three stories technically four, because there is a wrap up, a wrap around, if you will take us there HB.
Speaker 4: Broad Strokes. The first episode takes place in its Viking times. It's called The Shield, and it involves a.
Speaker 2: This is the oldest one, This is the oldest story. This takes place in eight forty one ad.
Speaker 4: Ah okay I must not have written down the year.
Speaker 3: So this is the story of a shield.
Speaker 4: Maiden in Viking times who is obsessed with vengeance. She's trying to she wants to kill the feudal lord or what have you who murdered her, actually forced her to murder her own father. And she's taking among the people she takes with her as her son, and they have this final assault on his palace, if you will. And of course who has to come and crash the party but our friend the Yaucha.
Speaker 3: So that's story one.
Speaker 4: Story two is a little further into the future. It takes place in sixteen oh nine feudal Japan. This, by the way, spoiler alert, this was my favorite of the stories that we get.
Speaker 3: This one was called The Sword.
Speaker 4: This is about two brothers who are supposed to fight to decide who gets to carry on the samurai tradition of their father. One of them runs away in disgrace and becomes essentially a ronin, and they eventually the father dies.
Speaker 2: Excuse me, sir, he did not become a robin Ronan. He became a shinobi, a Ronan is a disgraced samurai. He becomes a ninja.
Speaker 3: That's fine, I stand corrected.
Speaker 2: This is the classic tale of samurai versus ninja.
Speaker 4: Yes versus and again it's they're having this showdown, the father has died. They're having this showdown, and who crashes the party? Our friend, the Yaucha. The third tale is called I have it here. It's called The Bullet It takes place in nineteen forty one. It's the story of a young man who dreams of becoming a pilot.
Speaker 3: One day he is.
Speaker 4: He eventually joins the war effort. In nineteen forty two, there's an air battle. Once again, our friends the crashed the party, as it were, I already said that before. I used that metaphor twice.
Speaker 3: Thank you. And this young man what's his name, Gonzalez? I think his name is Torres.
Speaker 2: Sorry Tores played by Rick Gonzalez.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's where the mix up was.
Speaker 4: Torres musters the courage to try and take out the Yaucha. And then the fourth technically the fourth and final entry in this anthology is spoiler alert. All of the main characters of the preceding three stories beat the predators. They effectively kill the Predators. The fourth story is they've all been brought together to the Yaucha home planet to juke it out in gladiatorial combat to decide who is wait for it, the Killer of Killers.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that last story is called the Battle.
Speaker 3: By the way, The Battle, Oh sorry I left that out.
Speaker 2: Let's Dig into the Shield my favorite story. In fact, I wish these stories had been played in reverse order. I wish we had started with the Bullet and then gone back further and further in time.
Speaker 4: It would have been an interesting choice. I so I said that the the one that in Japan that the Sword was my favorite. This one was a very close second.
Speaker 3: I really like this.
Speaker 4: This is a very solid introduction to the world and the sort of look of this because it is animated, but it's not animated in a traditional sense. It almost looks and I think the team that animated this, they're known primarily as a Previz team, and that's the vibe I get from this. It's both kind of a strength and a weakness of this, because if you don't like the look of this animation, you're predisposed to not really enjoying the experience.
Speaker 2: I think that's the thing about every animation, honestly, And the further and further the older and older I get, the more and more I find that I either respond to the character design or I don't, and no amount of oh wow, that school wizbang whatever is going to change that or make me enjoy that thing. Luckily, these look like watercolor paintings come to life.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they're very cool.
Speaker 4: They have a three dimensionality to them, which I think is appealing. And it's animated very well. I like you, I really enjoyed it. I thought it's probably a less expensive way of producing the animation because it's not as smooth or as detailed as other animation that I've seen.
Speaker 3: But this worked very well, I think.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And this is a story I like the most basically because it's it goes everywhere I want a story to go. It has breathless action, it has fantastic action as a matter of fact, and it has crazy emotion and it leaves you devastated at the end, and that's what I'm looking for. And no Predator movie to this point has left me feeling that way at the end, bereft, even Predators where they're trapped on that planet. Because I didn't give a shit about those characters. This story is twenty two minutes maybe in length, and by the end I was absolutely shredded for Ursa.
Speaker 4: It's a powerful story and it's well told, and I think what you hit upon is one thing that we talked about in the context of Prey the last episode, which is pro was we basically agreed that Pray you could have taken the Yaucha out of it entirely, and it could have been. It would have been a very compelling story of this Native American tribe and the struggles of Naturu and how she was going to navigate the culture. The best stories in this anthology, in my opinion, follow a similar dynamic. So this one the story of the shield Maid and looking for vengeance against her her hated this person that destroyed her world essentially and made it.
Speaker 3: So that she says she feels that there's.
Speaker 4: A monster inside of her that cannot be it can't be slaked until she kills this person. That's a very compelling story without the other worldly dealings with the predator. Same thing when we get to the Sword, it's the same deal. We really care about these characters, and it's such a compelling tale that they tell that with or without the Yaucha, it's still going to be a cool story that they're telling. That to me is what marks the best of these anthology pieces is and The Shield is a good example of that.
Speaker 2: I've been in the anthology trenches for years now, and I can say with authority that the greatest thing an anthology story can be is economical with its time. And each of these is incredibly economical their fleet to foot, considering how much shoe leather they're laying out here. And I agree with you, the best predator stories are the ones that could exist without the predator, that could just be whatever the threat happens to be. At the end of the Shield, the predator character might as well have been the Zorn character, which is the be evil warlord that she's come to kill. She dispatches them, or rather her son dispatches him pretty quickly, but and then she has to fight the predator, so that easily just could have been swapped out in her fight Zarren and then come with the same outcome. However, what they do here by aditing the predator is they do something really which is they tell us once again the story of Baio Wolf, where they've come to this king's grand hall and they're in there, all these warriors, and then this monster of Grendel shows up, and the fact they call him Grendel as soon as he does, and that to me was fan fucking tasting, a real world sci fi reasoning for the Beowulf tale to have been told in the first place.
Speaker 4: I thought that was really cool too, that because that's the only frame of reference these characters have back then, is this mythology of this great monster that's come to do battle with them. Of course they would lean on their own mythology to make sense of what's happening around them. The other kind of cool thing that they introduce in this, and we've seen this in the other Predator movies especially, is that each Predator, each Yaucha, has some kind of unique style or weaponry that kind of distinguishes them from any of the other yaucher that we've seen.
Speaker 3: We saw this in every one of the movies.
Speaker 4: This has one of those kind of cool weapons. He has what's essentially like a sonic spring. He's missing a hand, this yaucha, and in its place, it's this spring loaded device that when it's fired, it shoots like a wave of sound energy and knocks down people, can break things. I love the technology. Every little morsel of technology that they introduce with the Yaucha, I think is always really special.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, when Pray we discovered that they hadn't at that time come up with energy based weapons. They were still using projectiles. So this is even further back. This is like a thousand years before that movie. It only makes sense that it's going to be more physical and less sort of sci fi energy based phasers or something. And if so, that makes it almost steampunk because he has to lock it into place to get it to work every time, basically like Prime the Pump not only like the cool, steampunky version of a Predator weapon, but it does continue the care with which Tracktenberger's treating all of this because, as he said, each of them has their own specialized weapon, and he knows that as fans, we like that shit. We want new stuff and we want it to be super cool, and all the weapons are super cool, and this one in particular more than the other stories. And maybe the reason I like it the most is that's that Predator's ace in the hole. That's what he thinks and probably has gotten him out of every scrape he's ever been into or ever been in, and it's the thing that effectively kills him here at the end. I love the ending and using the shield and that knocks her back and knocks him into the fucking anchor, and ah, I don't know, loved it, loved it.
Speaker 4: That's key to all of these stories is the combatant, the human going up against the predator always figures out how what's the secret to beating it? What's that thing that makes the vulnerable.
Speaker 3: Or how do they use their weaponry against them?
Speaker 4: I think that's the thing that kind of binds them all together, all of these winners in the predator battles, they all have the ability to figure out what's happening, quickly process that information and figure out a way to use it back against the predator.
Speaker 2: And they don't. Really. Half of every Predator movie till now is them figuring out those things. Oh, it can't see Cole. Like here, she's under a fucking ice flow, She's beneath a frozen lake and it can't see her. Does that matter to her? No, She's just trying to breathe. We as the audience already know. So I'm glad he's working his way towards that where we don't have to be introduced to the rules of the predator every single fucking time. How many times can we watch fucking Bruce Wayne crying over his parents' corpse.
Speaker 4: And that's the thing about this that I appreciate is he's clear he's doing this. Trackenberg is doing this. He's produced this for the fans. And that's the earest indication that you just described, which is he doesn't have to sit there and give you the rundown on the Yaucha and their existence and their history and how they work and their code of ethics and honor.
Speaker 3: We all know that.
Speaker 4: So clearly this was executed in such a way that fans are going to have a field, have a lot of fun with this, and not have to be spoon fed the origin and how this all works.
Speaker 3: It's all.
Speaker 4: The word you used was like economical. This is so streamlined and efficient storytelling. It's really that part of its I think very effective.
Speaker 2: I think it's not only excellent service for the fans because it's not insulting to us and it came out of nowhere and we love this and we want more of it. But it allows him to expand his universe exponentially and very simply the fact that this entire movie starts with a quote from the Yaucha codex, go forth among the stars and seek only the strongest prey. They shall be your trophy. Become the killer of killers. That's from them, and this is the first sort of text we've received from the Yaucha. Apparently there is a law book, and that's one of them.
Speaker 4: The more and more he expands the universe, so the cooler it is, and we see a lot of that come the end of this movie. But for me, it's also very chilling. And there's something very disturbing about one aspect of the basically the third going into the fourth story that we'll talk about. But the bottom line is Tracktenberg and his team of writers and everyone else, they're just so smart at expanding this universe in such a logical way and making it. I'm not sure they would ever dreamed of where the Yaucher is now when the first Predator was made back in eighty six, some forty years ago. It's pretty remarkable what we we have now versus what was originally given to us back then.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and you know, what like, finally somebody fucking innovating, because what we had thirty years in between Predator and Predators and they just told the same fucking movie. Pretty much, Let's go back to the jungle with a bunch of soldiers. Okay, let's do it. Hey gives the show we got dogs now, Okay, great. I know I liked that movie more than I'm letting on, but give me a break already. Anyway, let's move on to the next story. By the way, I listened to and ran a bunch of interviews with Tracktenberg about this film, and as if my admiration wasn't high enough, he gives credit like it's fucking Halloween candy. He like everyone who points out something that was cool that came from another person's idea, he points that person out immediately, And I admire that.
Speaker 4: I love humility. I love somebody who gives credit where credit is due.
Speaker 3: Makes me like him even more.
Speaker 2: All right, Take us to the Take us to the Sword sixty oh nine Feudal Japan. Beautiful chakrahachi flutes playing. I would like to mention the score. By the way, Benjamin Wallfish did the score. He's a very prolific film composer and television composer. As a matter of fact, I listened to this entire soundtrack they're getting Dan today. It is. It's remarkably good and only occasionally plays on the dundadum that has to be in every Predator thing. But he works it in so well that I just fucking love it anyway, the sort what else?
Speaker 3: What else has he done soundtracks for?
Speaker 2: Most recently, he did the soundtrack to it. He was the co author of the Blade Runner twenty forty nine soundtrack. He did, He did Shazam. He did hell Boy, that's the bad hell Boy with David Harber, not.
Speaker 3: The Oh yeah, the most recent. Yeah.
Speaker 2: He's also Leewan El's go to guy. So he did the Invisible Man and Wolfman. He did that last Mortal Kombat movie. He's doing the new Mortal Kombat movie. Oh, he did the Flash for Andy Mashetti. He did Twisters, he did Alien Aromulus. So he actually in the fucking neighborhood already. Wow. He is prolific and good and we'll be reviewing his music again in a few weeks because he did Predator, bad Lands, Super The Sword, My Man.
Speaker 3: The Sword.
Speaker 4: Like I said before, your favorite, right, it was my favorite. I'm a sucker for a good tale of feudal Japan where you know it's there. It's honor running through everything you these The Seven Samurai is one of my favorite movies. I love all that stuff. I love the honor that that they present. I love this idea of the duty that these two brothers feel. The one who's disgraced and has become a shinobi, the other wants to uphold the tradition of his father, and that just the idea that they're both they're having this last duel together. Like I said, even outside of the alien aspect of it, that alone would be an interesting tale. It's it's from lack of a better word, it's shot really well, it's animated really well.
Speaker 3: The action is great. I just love it.
Speaker 4: I love martial arts movies, so this was very much in my wheelhouse.
Speaker 2: Agreed, The action is all fucking fantastic here. And I'd like to point out that I forgot to mention in the last story The Shield, when they finally arrive at Zorn's compound and Ursa jumps off that boat, that's one shot from beginning right until she gets to Zarn it's all on intaken. It's fucking amazing.
Speaker 4: Anyway, Banks, we should we also should mention before we get to that, that there's this thing that he does where at the very end after the Shield, Maiden has not only killed the predator, but sadly she has lost her own son. And it's the story, like you said, it's heart wrenching because he dies in her arms. But what essentially happens at that point is it fades into another scene where now she has some kind of collar around her neck and somebody's kneeling in her presence. She doesn't know where she is. We don't know what's going on as audience members, but this will become part of effectively the wrap around story and the finale. But I love this little mystery that Tracktenberg is presenting us with because we already know just from the idea of the Killer of Killers what's probably happening.
Speaker 3: But it's like leaving.
Speaker 4: These little clues as to the ultimate fate of these characters. But then anyway, we move into the Sword, this story of these two brothers and the father that has split them into very compelling stuff. And one aspect of this that I think is cool in both stories up till now is the Predator is there but really observing, studying in a way that we don't.
Speaker 3: They do this in the other.
Speaker 4: Movies, but in this sense, it's almost as if he's following their individual stories even as he's making his own plan for what he's going to try to accomplish.
Speaker 3: It's very cool.
Speaker 4: So he's observing these characters just as we are. It's almost like he's a proxy for the audience up to a point.
Speaker 2: Professionals being professional. I just like watching the Predator doing his thing man and what he's focused on in any one time. These three guys have arrows. What are they doing? Target practice? This guy's wait, who's this dude? Aha? Finally some action loved it.
Speaker 3: It's great, it's great.
Speaker 2: So they you know, there's a reason that these, this particular group of stories could be told without the Predator, and that's because these are the oldest stories in human history. I've got to get revenge from my father's story, and that revenge makes you should dig two graves. There you go, brother versus brother. You want Dad's love, I want Dad's love. I became a And then on top of that, Ninja versus Samurai which we've also seen how many times, So look the secret sauce here is the Predator. But I do agree these are so beautifully animated that had you just given me a movie called Killer of Killers, I would have been like, ah, wow, yeah, those were the Killer of Killers. They were the best.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: And what the other thing that is apparent to me is that, obviously, Pray we sung the Virtues of Prey to an amazing degree in the last episode. We both loved it, and audience has loved it because it essentially rejuvenated the franchise. But I think it's in bold and Tracktenburg to do is to say, you know what, I think there's an appetite for people to see these historical versions of these Predator tales. Everything up before Prey, everything was basically modern day or near future sort of tales of the Predator. We knew that he existed in the past or the race existed in the past because of the Adelini gun that Danny Glover gets way back in Predator too. But it's just so smart of Tracten Bird to keep pulling on that thread of the Predator all through history and the fact that they've always been here and they're always finding new ways to battle humans and the ingenuity of these these humans throughout history to battle and kill these predators. It's it's like I said, I maybe I seemed a little too harsh at the outset of this episode. It's not as if I didn't appreciate it and I don't love the idea behind it. I just think that's just so creative. And obviously with bad Lands, he's going in the opposite direction. It looks like it's now we're heading back into the future for the next phase of this series.
Speaker 2: But actually committed to that idea as opposed to just dicking around. The last one took place. Now we can't really have another one. This won't take place ten years after that one. Why who cares? Go backwards? Motherfucker? We don't care what the continuity of these things. It's insane to me that it took this long for anyone to figure it out. Honestly, add Predator to any genre in any time period. You're gonna have a fucking good movie as long as you don't just keep repeating the first film.
Speaker 4: Obviously he has an ultimate license, or he should, I would say, if I'm the movie studio, I would give him carte blanche to do whatever the hell he wants. If he wants to do a Raiders of the Lost Arc meets the Predator movie, fucking do it. If he wants to do who like that kind of an archie versus Predator type thing where it's like a teen sex comedy with the Predator mixed up.
Speaker 3: Sign me up, I'm already in line. I'm there.
Speaker 4: So again, we're really we're praising him an awful lot, but I think it's very well deserved.
Speaker 3: And even if he might not take all that credit for himself, maybe.
Speaker 4: He would give it to the other people who He doesn't do this all by himself, let's face it, but he is the secret sauce that made this series come alive again.
Speaker 2: And that brings us to your favorite segment, the bull. The bullet, by the way, is the name of his plane, yes, and that is his weapon. You get the idea here, shield sword, bullet.
Speaker 3: Sure.
Speaker 4: My favorite part of this, by the way, is the fact that Michael Bean was in it, and I didn't even know it was Michael Bean. I thought that was really cool because we all love Michael Bean. But having said that, this was my least favorite episode for a variety of reasons, but really it was a little It felt to me like an episode of Amazing Stories.
Speaker 3: That's what it felt like to me.
Speaker 4: It felt it leaned very heavily, far too heavily, in my opinion, into the action adventure comedy kind of thing. It felt like, what was that episode with Kevin Costner with a tailgunner get stuck.
Speaker 3: In the thing?
Speaker 2: The mission?
Speaker 3: The mission? Yeah, it felt like the mission.
Speaker 2: Casey Schamasco is a belly gunner trapped in the bubble dome on the bottom of a B seventeen landing gear won't come down. But he's a cartoonist, and this is a man Spielberg episode.
Speaker 4: I really wanted to like this particular episode of the movie because I love the idea that it's the nineteen forties, it's World War two. I being an amateur UFO buff I'm aware that there have been UFO sightings in wartime. I think they were originally called the Foo Fighters. Think that's the origin of that name. They called them Foo Fighters. I was so excited to see that kind of idea come to life in the context of a Predator movie. But really what we got was it felt safe to me, and I don't think the Predator series works when it plays it safe.
Speaker 2: Here's what I'll give it. It's the first time we've seen a dog fighting Predator. It's the first time that we've seen an aerial dog fighting fella. And to me, that being his secret weapon, his specialized thing, was super duper cool. This should have been my favorite AP episode or my favorite story. Like you said, it takes place during World War Two, and it takes place during the North African Campaign, and it's about an air battle above the fucking the fray. And like you said, this is where modern UFO lore comes from. It starts at the end of World War Two. Or there are reports during World War two of as you said, Foo fighters where B seventeen pilots will report strange lights following them for miles and then disappearing in a way that didn't seem terrestrial in origin. And there's an entire squadron that went missing in the quote unquote Bermuda Triangle not too long after the end of the World War Two that they could have used, and the idea that we could have gotten the I know, look, they did it so well in heavy metal, but the idea that they could have had a B seventeen flying Fortress battling a predator. A crew of humans fighting a predator is super cool to me. But that's not the story they're telling. They want to give us dog fights. Okay, fine, let's do that, but let's have him get out of the fucking cockpit at all, because what the fuck are you doing. I ride a bike to and from work. If I take my hands off the handlebars for a second, I'm going to be in a lot of pain. This character is constantly getting out of his airplane. What the fuck is happening?
Speaker 4: That's really where it lost me bottom alone for good. This particular vignette is at one point his auxiliary fuel tank is on fire, I think, and he asked. He literally gets out of his cockpit at six thousand miles above the ocean to basically work it out by hand, to bang on it till it look.
Speaker 3: I'm deathly afraid of heights.
Speaker 2: I can't.
Speaker 4: I went with my kids once to one of these treetop adventure things, and I had to be helped down because I was terrified of even being twenty feet up in the air. It was probably not even probably ten feet. It look, by definition, it's already straining credulity because we're dealing with an alien creature who's dogfighting with an entire squadron. But having said that, the idea that this guy clambers out of his cockpit and he's talking on the radio and he's doing all these things and not having a heart attack at everything that's happening, that the horror of what he's presented with it just seemed it was a bridge too far for me at that point. And to be honest, I checked out a little bit at that point.
Speaker 2: He gets out of that cockpit multiple times, and that is to me also where I checked out, because, like I said, you tell me he tied off the fucking rudder, you know, the stick? Okay, fine, and as soon as it tilts in any direction, even if he look he's a pilot. He has no fear of fights. I get that. And he's probably been out on a wing of a plane maybe when it's been in the air before, because those guys are crazy. But the idea that the technology is working in concert with him and everything is working fine while a predator in advanced alien ship is hunting him down is fucking or ridiculous.
Speaker 4: It was ludicrous, and yeah, it made me frankly sad because I'm rooting for Tractenburg. I in Tractenburg, we trust. This just seemed to me to totally it was off. I get what he was trying to do. Maybe he was trying to make it a little more lighthearted than the rest, and by that definition he succeeded, But it just wasn't for me. Maybe some maybe this was some people's favorite episode of this particular anthology, but it wasn't mine.
Speaker 2: It's just okay at best, which is probably which is definitely what prompted my proposal that they show these in reverse order they'd started in the forties and we worked our way back in time. It would have been way more powerful, because here's the thing. What he's working against is the great bummer that we finally discover, and we discover about the predators overall eventually, is that if you beat them, they're coming to take you. And that's a fucking drag man on a certain level, it's a fucking drag.
Speaker 4: That was the most horrifying part of this whole movie for me. Father Malone is after in the final sort of vignette where we are. At the end of this the bullet Torres.
Speaker 3: Has gone back to civilian life.
Speaker 4: He now has his own mechanic shop. This is probably months, if not years after this battle all happened, so it's it. All this time has gone by and the predator still has not forgotten what he did, but tracks him down to where he lives in I think Florida. That's horrifying to me that it doesn't matter. It could be three or four years after you kill that predator. They will find you and they will take you against your will into a spaceship back to their home planet with really no way of getting back home. That's so fucking scary to me. That's worse than the average alien abduction because you're getting taken because you've survived. But they don't see it that way. The Yaucha don't see it that way. They want your cunning, they want your ability to fight for their own amusement.
Speaker 3: That's scary as hell.
Speaker 2: It's a whole other level to the predator. So that I don't like about them, but that's okay. They are the villains after.
Speaker 3: All, agreed. It makes them even more hateable as villains because they, yes, they do have a code. They won't.
Speaker 4: They usually don't kill you if you're not an armed and not a threat. But Torres, it had been forever since he fought and killed the predator, had he was just living his life and he gets taken by this ship.
Speaker 2: Scary, so we end up Oh, not only are do you end up grabbed by the predators and taken from your world to be shipped off to fight in some gladiatorial combat at some point. But that's the point I'm making. It's at some point. These characters have been some sort of cryo freeze for hundreds of years, and now they're just being thought out. This is obviously the first time they've been thought out, because they don't know what's going on.
Speaker 4: Yeah, because the fuck he's on this ship with the Shield Maiden and the Shinobi. How what do we say, six ninety one was when the Viking shield.
Speaker 2: Eight hundred a D sixteen hundred a D and nineteen forty five or so or seven.
Speaker 4: Maybe hundreds of years. That's so scary to me, Like that's like your worst nightmare. You're taken from the everything you know and love and put on this planet tould just kill.
Speaker 2: So they're paraded out to an arena where they're going to have to kill one another, and then the victor has the privilege of fighting. The character is listed as the Grendel King. Yeah, okay, so that's now. First of all, when they come out of the ship and they're marching to the arena and the predators are all kneeling on either side of them, that was great. Yeah, I like that the predators still have the respect even if they're doing this horrible fucking thing to these people.
Speaker 4: But yeah, if you can kill these other people, then it's not as if you then are given the ability to leave. All that affords you is the ability to get killed by an even larger and meaner predator than you've.
Speaker 3: Already dealt with.
Speaker 2: What do you win if you beat him? They never tell us.
Speaker 3: I was wondering about that too. I don't know, because.
Speaker 2: Do you become the king of of all the ouches, this foreigner from another planet becomes their king. No.
Speaker 4: I would assume that if you make it that far, and I'm sure precious few ever do that, they just put you on ice again, that you put back into cryo, and then when the next maybe you then become.
Speaker 3: The killer of killers that they have to get through.
Speaker 4: I don't think there's any real reward at the end of all this, other than and surviving another day.
Speaker 2: It would be cool if you become if you're really good at it, if you're a killer of killers, you become the one that they drop onto a planet with a bunch of like young predators, like they you're the feared thing. But when okay, when they're gonna pit these guys against each other, they give them weapons from their home world, figuring this is what you need. So they give him a sword, and they give her some sort of axe, very Viking. And then they give him and this should be a clue as to where we're going at the end of this, they give him the end Alini.
Speaker 3: Pistol, but with no ammunition.
Speaker 2: There is ambunition. It's sitting right there. He just doesn't know what to do with it.
Speaker 4: Oh, he just he fumbles it and then he realizes what it is. You're right, I thought the ammunition popped up in another like at another point in their fight, just after the fight goes on for a little while.
Speaker 2: It had popped up. He just hadn't seen it. He just grabbed a gun and thought, I'm going to use this gun, and then afterwards when oh what, oh, I see the weapon has gunpowder and such.
Speaker 4: Which kind of ties it in with prey because that's Naduru also struggled with the pistol a little bit. She didn't even after being told how to do it, she still doesn't understand the gunpowder and all of that stuff.
Speaker 2: So she had never seen a pistol before, so she has an excuse.
Speaker 3: But he had never seen a flint lock.
Speaker 4: It's probably a fair bet that Tores hadn't never seen one of those.
Speaker 2: Come on, Dorez, you know what you're supposed to You got to put the powder in. You gotta ram rod the thing.
Speaker 4: But while he's trying to because it's what it's like a for step process to load and fire these things. But meanwhile he has the shield maiden kind of decides immediately that this is what she has to do, just starts swinging the axe. The Shanobi at least realizes, maybe he actually decides he's not going to fight because he's not going to fight for someone else's amusement, and he just doesn't believe.
Speaker 3: In the whole thing.
Speaker 4: And Torres is just trying to figure out a way to get to the ship so he can fly them off that world. So he's struggling with this pistol. Meanwhile this shield maiden is swinging this big fucking sharp ACKs at him and trying to kill him, and the Shinobi's just trying to keep the piece as best he can. And they also have they we should also mention that they have the universal translators that so they can talk and be understood in each other's language, at least to a certain degree. And we get more of the Yaucha speaking, and I know there's something, like I said, cool and chilling about all of that.
Speaker 2: I loved it. I loved hearing him speak, and I loved hearing the translation. More of that, please, I'm so excited for bad lance. Okay, I'm gonna stop.
Speaker 4: We're going to get that in bad at least according to the trailers, we're going to get a lot of that. But anyway, we'll cross that bridge when we come to it very soon.
Speaker 2: Right, so to get away when one remains, although, oh you know what, here's something that happens, much much like Voltan, he's got a few tricks of his sleeves. This grendel king. If they're not going to fight each other, let's courage them. So they released beasts from other worlds, yes, including one with this maw on the top of its head that eats Torres. And I gotta tell you, HP when he did eat Toarres, I thought, oh wow, the steaks got really high. Also, I don't really care that they killed Taurrests. He's the one that was expendable, so that was good. Like, as long as the shield made and the and the ninja are okay, I'm good with Torres.
Speaker 3: That was a cheat though.
Speaker 4: He should have died because what they do that stupid thing where he's inside of the belly of the beast and he's struggling trying to get out. I wish they had just done away with them and that would have been it. They need somebody to take off in the ship.
Speaker 2: But still, see that's the problem, and this is Tracktenberg's problem. He wanted to do best in show because he realized that we love these people and now we're going to feel really bad if any of them died. But then he loved the characters too much, so he couldn't kill them. Yeah.
Speaker 4: So what ends up happening, though, is that he they all take their lumps. I think the sword the Schernobi gets it the worst. I think he is bitten or stabbed or I don't remember exactly. But they escape on the ship. They steal the ship. Torres pilots a ship out, but the Shield Maiden has been left behind and she's held by the other predators.
Speaker 3: And that's when the leader.
Speaker 4: Of this whole enterprise, this amphitheater, essentially Declare's hunting season has begun.
Speaker 2: First of all, they put her back in cryo sleep, which look they easily could have said you're a failure and stabbed her. And then that was the end. So at least they recognized that she has some value as a fighter and a killer of killers potentially. But then, like you said, here's the thing, all of the problems I had with this movie, and I did have some, and I did not like portions of this movie were completely papered over. When the Predator king goes, let's go hunting, and then an innumerable number of ships took off and in pursuit of Torres and the Ninja boy.
Speaker 4: It's absurd the number of ships. There's absolutely unless there's maybe he has a sequel in mind at some point there's no way.
Speaker 3: That they could have gotten away where you think.
Speaker 4: But at the same time, you're right that the Shield Maiden is spared. But it's still a living nightmare because all she's ever going to wake up to is another opportunity to fight for her life. But what we do have the kind of lasting image from this, and this was something that was revised after release, is we see her getting pushed in this cryo stasis.
Speaker 2: Boxer of the Lost Dark. We mentioned that during Prey it's Raiders in the Lost Dark. At the end here it's the fucking warehouse with all of the artifacts it is there.
Speaker 4: There's hundreds, if not thousands of cryo tubes in this warehouse, and we.
Speaker 2: Get to tear into one as we pass if there's the silhouette of something with four arms that looks.
Speaker 4: Formidable, which I think, as a side note, I what I'm hoping we get eventually. I know it's important to have a human protagonist because that's what we identify with as humans, but I do want to see more extraterrestrial aspects to add it, because it's not just that they're hunting Earth. They're they're hunting grounds are probably like innumerable there's probably weird planets with that forearmed creature that you describe. I want to see some more of that. I want to get Let's widen it out from Earth and let's see some more interesting Maybe we'll get that a little bit in bad lance.
Speaker 3: We'll see.
Speaker 2: I think we're probably gonna get a whole lot of beasts and other predators and humans. But I like where you're going because I would like to see another humanoid race. Who else have they encountered that have fucked them up?
Speaker 4: Yeah, clearly the humans cannot be the killer of killers. There's got to be some weird alien race that is even more formidable than humans.
Speaker 3: I have to believe that.
Speaker 4: But anyway, so they're wheeling the Shield Maiden back to her spot in the warehouse, and as they're passing, who do we see?
Speaker 3: We see Nadu.
Speaker 4: She is and that makes me sad for a Naturu because she was such she fought through so much, and pray the idea that she's just been boxed up and kept in storage to fight.
Speaker 2: This is the next day and Daniel finds out that Ali has broken up with him for some dude, and his car is trashed and everything sucks again. That's how you begin Karate Kid too. Fuck you. We fought so hard from that.
Speaker 3: Ending it is, But I like where you're going with this.
Speaker 2: This is we've watched these rebels fucking fight and lose and fight more and defeat an empire. And here's the empire again.
Speaker 3: What what did they fight for?
Speaker 4: Crumples up that previous plot of the Karate Kid and just says, oh, you know what.
Speaker 3: Fuck you.
Speaker 4: So that's how it originally ended, but then they put out I think, I don't know if they called it like a special ending or what, but for whatever reason, they amended that ending later. So not only do we get to see Nadu, but then the camera pans over again and it's Danny Glover from Predator two h.
Speaker 2: And A double R I G A and Mike Harrigan harrogon.
Speaker 4: But then, but the thing that really got me excited was right next to.
Speaker 2: Mike Harrigan, No no, no, no is Dutch and they.
Speaker 4: Give you that little musical cue from the first Predator. It's Arnold Schwartzenegger from the original. So what this effectively does is if they decide to make another animated picture in this world, we might actually get to see Dutch fighting alongside Nadu and Harrigan, and that is pretty fucking badass.
Speaker 2: It's so fucking cool. I can't even they're around. You start recording their voices. I hope they've done it secretly. I hope there's a fucking Predator Killer of Killer sequel on the way and it's Dutch and Harrigan and nah Roup fucking shit up everywhere. Throw Ripley in there.
Speaker 3: Why not?
Speaker 2: How about the Flash Batman. He can show up to and fight some predators. He's done it before.
Speaker 4: So that was it almost redeemed the last couple of the vignettes in this anthology. I just the prospect of having those characters come back, because you'll never ever get Danny Glover and Schwarzenegger in a live action sense. That ship is sailed. But this gives them the license and the ability to bring them back.
Speaker 3: You don't even need.
Speaker 4: Honestly, you don't even really need Schwarzenegger to do it, because I will tell you this, like the Mortal Kombat, the last few Mortal Kombat games, they've added in Schwarzenegger characters as bonus characters, so you can fight Mortal Kombat as the T eight hundred you can fight Mortal Kombat. I think Dutch is in there. I think Kakonan is in there.
Speaker 2: Whoever they got ricks John Michritz, that would be cool listening to a pisshants just try and tough. They make me laugh if Matrix was here.
Speaker 4: No, the My point is that it's not Schwarzenegger delivering the lines in this Mortal Kombat game. But whoever they got to do it sounds like Schwarzenegger to me, So what the hell? He can have just somebody else through his lines because he doesn't really seem to have much interest.
Speaker 2: To go back to the point, your cousin Ivan could do an Arnold Swarzenender impression that could probably past come on now.
Speaker 3: That would be so cool.
Speaker 4: Imagine if these characters from these different movies got together. That would actually we wouldn't be talking about a Hulu only surprised thing. This would be a an actual theatrical because why wouldn't you have that in the theater.
Speaker 3: That sounds so.
Speaker 2: Bad ass, It sounds bad lands.
Speaker 3: Sounds awesome.
Speaker 2: And that's where we're headed next. Oh my god, HP, we've reached the end of a fest. Ladies and gentlemen, next week you're gonna be hearing us talking about Predator bad Lands. That's what's happening. Whoo oh boy, it's gonna be such a good time. Hopefully it's a good movie, because man, oh man, we've been fucking playing it up and talking it up, and oh wouldn't it be terrible? If it's terrible, Well.
Speaker 3: Give something to talk about.
Speaker 2: I'll be suppressed.
Speaker 4: I don't think anything can happen. Look, our favorite filmmakers have disappointed us in the past. I all signs point to yes on this one.
Speaker 2: Fall alone, like the Magic eight ball HP. Where you are? Where can people find if they're looking for you? These days? All right?
Speaker 4: I co host the Night Mister Walters Taxi podcast, alongside midnight viewings Father Alone. Right here, I host the Noise Junkies music podcast, and not to mention, I have a bandcamp site hpmusicplace dot bandcamp dot com.
Speaker 2: As for me, you're listening to the show that I do. Keep it here twice a week Mondays and Fridays, maybe Sundays and Thursdays, who knows, whenever I get them done. If you're a patron, you're listening to this month's in advance, and oh, check out, we're starting Star Trek fast. We're actually recording that one next but you're not probably gonna hear that until December. Oh anyway, anyway, keep it here at midnight viewing. That was another great thing about it, all the subtitles. Anyway, we'll talk to you next time.
Speaker 1: You can kill it. What hell