Speaker 1: The projection.
Speaker 2: Both podcast is sponsored by Scarecrow Video. Try out scarecrows rent by mail service. Choose from over one hundred and fifty thousand films and get Blu rays, four k's and DVDs delivered directly to your door. Visit scarecrow dot com today.
Speaker 3: Oh g is, folks, it's showtime.
Speaker 4: People say good money to see this movie.
Speaker 3: When they go out to a theater.
Speaker 5: They want clothed sodas, hot popcorn, and no monsters in the projection booth.
Speaker 3: Everyone pretend podcasting isn't boring.
Speaker 6: He's been called whooped, freaky, absurd, and just plain discus. Now, for his first starring role ever, they're letting Tom Green do it.
Speaker 5: He's way bye, my daddy, I'm going to get some job.
Speaker 7: So he's mighty God.
Speaker 3: The characters are laying I'm a loser.
Speaker 4: I wish I was dead for acting, building sets, directed and produce him.
Speaker 3: Money's no option.
Speaker 5: The helicopter one hundred fifty thousan dollars one hundred dollars.
Speaker 3: Then you have the seven hundred and fifty thousand dollars.
Speaker 1: That's all my money with his own, How are you?
Speaker 8: I'd be a lot better if you'd smack my legs with this bamboostick.
Speaker 4: Special to Freddy Got Fingered, Jeez Louise, say it, jesuis Jeez Louise.
Speaker 3: Jeez Louis.
Speaker 4: Yes, said shooting now in Theaters two thousand and one.
Speaker 9: No, I just like to say, jays Louise, that's a that's all. I just like to say, Gez Louise, that's all okay, So I just like to say g's Louise.
Speaker 2: Welcome to the Projection Booth. I'm your host, Mike White, Jimmy once again, is mister Rob Saint Mary.
Speaker 1: I'm not just moving to Hollywood to work in a cheese sandwich factory.
Speaker 2: Also back in the booth is Miss Heather drain Daddy.
Speaker 7: Would you like some sausage?
Speaker 3: Teddy?
Speaker 7: Would you like some sausages?
Speaker 1: Somebody?
Speaker 2: Month concludes with a look at Tom Green's anti comedy Freddy Got Fingered, released in two thousand and one. This was a World before nine to eleven. This was April twenty, two thousand and one. The film stars Green as Gord Brodie, an artist who wants to get his drawings turned into a show. He adds to Hollywood, where he gets a job making delicious cheese sandwich.
Speaker 8: I just thought people might be getting a little hungry. It's a delicious cheese sandwich. A delicious cheese sandwich. Isn't that delicious? Isn't that a delicious cheese sandwich?
Speaker 2: Has a disastrous pitch meeting and goes back to live with his parents. We will be spoiling this film as we discuss it, so if you don't want anything ruined, please turn off the show and watch the movie. We will still be here when you get back. So, Rob, when was the first time you saw Freddy got fingered? And what did you think.
Speaker 1: When Tom Green was big in the late nineties early aunts, I didn't have cable, so I grew up in a house without cable. As a matter of fact, the first thing that my mother did when I moved out of the house was get three things for that house that I wanted as a kid, a dog, air conditioning, and cable. It was like as soon as I moved out, and I was like, okay, I see how it is. I didn't get the LeBaron, but my mom got that stuff. So anyway, this must have been I think maybe two years ago. The Criterion had a section on the movies produced by MTV Films, so that included Jackass, but also Artier, fair like Election, and of course this one is in there. And I thought, you know what, if it's good enough for Criterion, maybe I should watch it because I had seen the trailer, I had heard the awful a Cisco and Ebert did the review.
Speaker 10: It's a vomitatorium of a movie starring Green as gored and I'm notxious retard who makes it his life's work to freak out his dad play with teeth gnashing scorn by rip porn on TV. We can't show you the scene where Green swings a newborn baby around his head by its umbilical cord, or two scenes evolving the sexual organs of a stallion an a bull elephant, or when he skins a deer around wearing his bloody carcass, or any of the jokes about child abuse. The MPAA gave this movie an R rating. That's definitive evidence that the NPA ratings board is morally a drift and that we need a workable adult rating for movies like this.
Speaker 11: You're absolutely right, this is ground zero. It has to be ground zero of bad comedies. And Tom Green with this horse and with this elephant. If a woman was doing that, this movie'd be banned in Tijuana, let alone getting an R rating. And it's just so horrible and he's such an unfunny guy. He should be Flippenberger somewhere. Why is Tom Green getting movies?
Speaker 4: And who wants to.
Speaker 3: See this guy?
Speaker 11: You know, even in a stupid comedy, there has to be a setup before you have a punchline. This is just hey, let's just do a bunch of punchlines, and the punchlines are let's do gross out stuff.
Speaker 1: Roger Ebert just loved this one, and so I was like, Eh, really have a way in because I wasn't really a fan of him. So I watched it and I was like, oh my god, this is brilliant and horrible at the same time. As I wrote on my letterbox, I go, this is absurdist and surrealist, and it fits right in the context of everything else that was going on at that time, because if you remember in the late nineties early two thousands, there was all of the gross out comedies, and a lot of the gross out comedies also had like sentimentality about family, and it was like he took all of that and just amped it and satirized it at the same time. So I just was like, I don't know if you can sit down and watch this like you would watch anything in particular, but if you look at it as like a piece of art that you can dissect as a satire piece, I think it's I think it's brilliant. There's sections of it that do make me laugh really fucking hard. I can see that people would enjoy this probably under substance as well. It feels like in a lot of ways. When I was on it was one of the first episodes I was on with you. I used to talk about how Bloodsucking Freaks has all of these layers of meaning and symbolism, and I'm like, did Joel m Reid seek to do that? I'm like, I don't think so. And there's part of me that I just think Tom Green was being Tom Green and at the same time there is all of that in here, and Heather, how about yourself?
Speaker 12: That that was beautiful. By the way I entered this film, I saw it. I didn't get to see it in the theater, but I remember renting it.
Speaker 7: I entered it as a Tom Green fan. I loved his show on MTV.
Speaker 12: I was even a fan of the bum song Freebody remembers that. In fact, I still occasionally have been noticing it because yeah, my bum my bum is on the gump, like it's just Tom Green. For me, it's always been like that great mix of humor that is really, on one hand, completely super like you cannot it's not intellectual. It is honestly going to just immediately just hit a lot of people the wrong way. But there's always he's always doing just like the sense of completely what you said, absurdism.
Speaker 7: It was almost like data.
Speaker 12: Just just just the craziness of it, of some of the stuff that he would do on a show and just legit funny. Just I found a lot. I just find him like incredibly funny. So I was excited about the movie despite the horrible trailer.
Speaker 7: This was a bad era for how.
Speaker 12: Trailers were edited. I'm not a fan of how trailers are cut now, to be honest. If you go back and look at the early odds and late nighties for comedies, it is it's rough. Bubble Boy was another one, and that was another film that was actually like a really fun subversive comedy that got get like what it really was.
Speaker 2: We'll go to my grave just saying that.
Speaker 7: That's a wonderful for that.
Speaker 2: There's a part of me that really wants to cover that at some point in the future you should.
Speaker 12: It's a really tremendously underrated film. I love Bubble Boy, but it was promoted terribly and rewatching the trailer for Fred you got fingered. Prepping for this, I was like, God, this trailer is terrible. But by reading the movie and the movie is, I wouldn't call it a masterpiece. There are parts that I think, especially revisiting it, have fallen.
Speaker 7: Flat for me.
Speaker 12: The parts that make me laugh really incredibly hard, are so unhinged, so beautifully unhinged, and such a great antidote to that.
Speaker 7: To your point, rob, to that whole can I new people.
Speaker 12: I actually dated a guy that said that, Actually you said accused me of not liking gross out heureor because I didn't like me myself and Irene.
Speaker 7: Keep in mind, this was already me watching Pink Flamingos as my meditation tape in college. But I couldn't handle the Farellis. So it's because I'm a girl. That's that's why he's an ex.
Speaker 12: Fair to me was like, it's like Tom Green being like, oh you got you think that's okay, cute? Check this out, and then having this amazing cast. We'll get all into on that. But I really I have a huge saucewat Rose Baby.
Speaker 7: It's that perfect. Obviously, it's that for anybody.
Speaker 12: I'm amazed that people hated it, because I'm like, if you know who Tom Green is, why'd you even watch it? I haven't watched the Notebook Eber even reviewing this was absurd. It's like, why who was clamoring for Roger Ebert's opinion on Freddy got fingered butt?
Speaker 7: AnyWho? What about you, Mike?
Speaker 2: Well, for me, I saw this for the first time, it was probably DBD. It probably wasn't a VHS tape because I think by two thousand and two and I probably saw this, we had moved on from VHS mostly say what you will about the formats, but and I did not grow up with Tom Green. Obviously I was aware of Tom Green. You really couldn't escape Tom Green because he was just on MTV in so many places doing the Pepsi commercials.
Speaker 3: I'm on a mission.
Speaker 9: I'm on the road to number one, going to all the colleges, colleges.
Speaker 3: I'm going to prove that people love the taste of pepsy.
Speaker 10: One, new pepsi one with a new secret recipe that makes it taste too good to be called diet.
Speaker 3: Cactuses, all the taste of pepsy one. People love the taste of pepsi one, new pepsi one, true cold taste, one calorie.
Speaker 2: All of these things. So I knew of him, but I really didn't watch the show. I really didn't realize his impact. Like I didn't realize that so much of Jackass took from Tom Green, just this whole thing of like him waking up his parents and stuff, Like it feels like Bam Margera's whole stick was very Tom Green, all this stuff with the skateboarding, all this. I mean, it's he's a very I want to say, he's only like a year older than I am. So it's weird to be like contemporaries with Tom Green. He reminds me a lot of myself before I I got on medication, Like I could swing very wide with the pendulum of emotions, you know, like frying jags where I couldn't catch my breath from crying so hard. And then also manic episodes where I kind of sounded like this with just the intensity that he speaks. Really, the whole thing of him repeating things and repeating things, I know, that's kind of the anti comedy thing, you know. It's it's funny, it's not funny. It's really not funny. It swings back to funny.
Speaker 8: Isn't that a delicious cheese sandwich?
Speaker 12: And the repetition, oh my god, a delicious cheese sandwich kind.
Speaker 2: Of drives me a little crazy. Like listening to his audio commentary for this, oh my god, that was an ordeal, and he's kind of an ordeal for me. I really missed the boat with him. When I watched him on Last One Laughing recently. I liked him there, and he was still doing the same shtick like making people laugh what you're not supposed to do on that show, making people laugh by just repeating the phrase delicious cheese sandwich over and over and over again. I didn't necessarily get that this was supposed to be in anti comedy. I thought he was being sincere when it came to this film. I have since rewatched it recently with that in mind. I still don't find it that funny. There are things, obviously, like the sausage song. I enjoy that. I didn't realize that taping meat to his head was kind of his thing. That was one of his first things that he did on his early cable access show. It's not my style of humor.
Speaker 1: The thing that's good that you sent along with this, and I think we can talk about him in parallel because I think it helps is the documentary. There's a documentary that just came out like in the last year or two that actually he directed, which I was like, oh God, I'm like people directing their own documentaries, like we're in trouble. But I think that he did a really nice job interrogating process where it all comes from, and that repetition of word thing and some of his humor choices that has been amped up. A lot of that comes from, as he said, it came from Letterman, and I can't help but think of the connection between Letterman and how Letterman does that. And then also one of my favorites who's also been on the show is Chris Elliot. Chris Elliot was doing a lot of just anti humor at a time in the eighties and early nineties and people just they didn't even know what the hell they were looking at what he was doing that stuff, Mike, you.
Speaker 12: Mentioning Bam Margeria and I'm almost now you're making me want to go down like some weird rabbit hole where I have like a graph of which started first, because I know Bam originally started doing that when he was doing the Cky videos, which predate Jackass. And I'm just outing myself on all things right now of coredutable comedy, see k why I could take a relief skateboarding, but there's some really just surreal comedy on those, particularly like anything with Brandon Decamillo.
Speaker 7: Like there's a song they did called Mustard Man. If they did a whole song.
Speaker 12: Of music video to torment a friend of theirs because he hated mustards paper, that's funny.
Speaker 7: It makes me laugh.
Speaker 12: I'm curious like if the parallel, if there was like influences, or if it was just like this weird zeitgeist of just these young guys that yeah, we love punk rock, we love skateboarding, and we love torturing our family and being just really obnoxious and irreverent and.
Speaker 7: Yeah, this is not for everybody.
Speaker 12: I was actually really I think it's good that we have you, like always you're a host. But I've known way more people that hate not just like strong.
Speaker 7: Oh it wasn't for me hate this.
Speaker 12: Movie more than I've known people that really that really liked it.
Speaker 7: So this will be juicy, it'll be good.
Speaker 2: It's interesting when it comes to the whole skateboarding video thing, Like within just the last few months, I've interviewed a few people, editors, sound guys where they got their star start with skate videos and like even you know, growing up, I was never a skateboarder because I have absolutely no sense of balance, But I grew up with a lot of friends who were skateboarders, and there was one among them who was a videographer. He would record everything, he would edit stuff, you know, the old VCR to VCR type of editing and everything. And then yeah, they started to introduce skits into things. I'm sure a lot of it was coming from, you know, the Thrasher videos that were out. I mean I remember them talking a lot about the search for animal chin and just like being very close to that culture, but also on the outs of it, just because I you know, I knew who Stacy Peralta was. I knew Bill dan Forth who he was, but I wasn't in that world necessarily. But yeah, it's interesting how many people got their start in that world and that are still obviously working in the industry today that I'm still interviewing people and they're just like, oh, yeah, I used to edit skate videos. It's like, that's pretty fucking cool that that's where a lot of diy ethos came from.
Speaker 1: I'm on the younger end of gen X, so I'm like, on the cusp, you're a bit older than me, five six years older than me. So it seems like skate kids that I knew when I was in like middle school and stuff, they were all high school kids. There were a good five six years older. They were all about your age, about what Tom Green's age was. So there was really this combination of punk rock and skate culture and early vhs like you could get your hands on a camcorder and do stuff. Letterman was probably the most out there at the time because the other thing that was on at eleven thirty was Carson and he was just stayed and for their grandparents like him. By comparison, like Letterman was really shaking things up.
Speaker 2: And I just say I was absolutely thrilled watching that Tom Green documentary the clips that he chose from David Letterman. When the one clip came on and it was Letterman who found this woman at her job and they had been to her house. As soon as that came up, I was like, oh my god, I remember this and like said the lines as he's saying them, see this guy, he was sitting on your bed that killed me when I was younger, And it was just so great to see that clip again. Fucking Letterman was so awesome. And I just loved the whole thread of how much Tom Green loved Letterman and the excitement because I also read a lot of Green's autobiography as well, and you know he's there like yeah, And then Dave made fun of my forty dollars gap sweater and then they played the clip and here he is, you know, coming out, and it's like, oh, did you buy that sweater at the Gap?
Speaker 1: It's like, yep, great.
Speaker 2: It was so nice to see and to hear him meet his hero to me for my bud.
Speaker 12: It was one of the best gags Tom Green ever dide on his show was he was on like a cruise ship, and there was one of the workers named Cereal Kirks, and he's filled fifteen minutes be like the viol and we did this these stereal carpets.
Speaker 3: What's your name?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 12: And I don't I'm not doing it justice because I am not a comedian, nor am I Tom Green. But to me, it was that irreverence. I've heard some people hate on Jackass and I was like, always just grossed out. But I'm like, but you kind of love these guys. You get to know them as people, and you really do care about them, and you enjoy them, and sometimes to the point where I don't even like seeing some of the stunts because I'm like, oh, I don't do that.
Speaker 7: Don't do that to your butthole. You're a good guy.
Speaker 12: But it with Tom Grad, it was like to me, it was always like when he would do the weirder stuff that had that just that great strangeness about it, because if anybody's just doing something that's just obvious and dumb, it's not gonna stick. I've made the same defense for Beavis and butthead where some people just we'd be well, that shows dumb, and I'm like, it's actually very far from dumb, and it holds up.
Speaker 7: I love Beavis and butthead.
Speaker 12: And it's fascinating this whole Zeit guys, all of this stuff came coming from MTV in the nineties.
Speaker 7: It's so weird to me watching this movie with the budget it has. I don't know if this I mentioning like the skateboard videos.
Speaker 12: I kept thinking, I wonder if this movie would hit different if it had a fraction of the budget and was shot real. DIY do it not like trash Humper's level, but maybe keep the cast, keep all of that.
Speaker 7: But because just that the way it was edited.
Speaker 12: And all of that felt very Hollywood, but it didn't feel like a satire to me. That felt like the studio being like, we got to have some control over this because this guy unhinged.
Speaker 1: The most unrealistic part of this movie is the fact that there's an American named Gord, thank you.
Speaker 7: The most Canadian name.
Speaker 1: I have never met in an American named Gordon as a detroiter, I have met many Canadians by Gord.
Speaker 12: I kept having that this kind act with Gory, what's next versus hockey hair?
Speaker 7: Are we gonna have a bag?
Speaker 12: Of like poo like put ketchup potato chips at a What was that like a Max Webster album in the background.
Speaker 7: I love Max Webster.
Speaker 1: You gotta get your double double from Timmy's That's right.
Speaker 2: A lot of this movie does feel like there's something about Mary at times, especially I mean having Harlan Williams show up. I fucking love Harlan and Williams. Speaking of another underrated comedy, Rocketman. He is so fucking good in Rocketman. I love that movie. I really enjoy him, and you know, he kind of threw it back to something about Mary. And then even casting of Freddie himself, Eddie K. Thomas, We're going right back to his role as Finch in American Pie. So it's like interesting to see for me, it's like this movie has already started to speak to the movies that came before it, even with some of the casting choices, and yeah, they are spectacular. I kind of wish that Freddie had a little bit more to do. He is great playing this dweeb and just playing that daddy's boy. Just you know, I'm the one that got the job. I'm the one that you know, is fulfilling the promises and the dreams of our parents. And he's just such a little dickhead and he's.
Speaker 1: Totally disrespected, Like in that one scene where it's oh, I got to go to work and all this and that great dad it is rip towards whatever. It's like he doesn't like any of his kids, like either of them.
Speaker 3: Really.
Speaker 12: The number one son license play on the lombaron and I love that God is just it's me.
Speaker 7: I'm the number one son. This is number one son in the license plate.
Speaker 1: That's me.
Speaker 8: I'm the number one son.
Speaker 3: What about me?
Speaker 13: Mom? You're number one son too?
Speaker 3: But how come Gord gets a leb Baron and I don't?
Speaker 14: It's because they love me more than they love you?
Speaker 4: No, no, no, they don't.
Speaker 14: Yeah, I only see one LeBaron, Freddy. I only see one. I don't see two lebarons. Where's your le baron, Freddy? Where's your lebarono? How many lionsd this?
Speaker 1: This car is more than a gift. It's it's kind of an investment in you. It means I believe in my son.
Speaker 3: You'd be a good man.
Speaker 7: Father.
Speaker 1: I will be a good man. You make your daddy proud.
Speaker 7: You hear me, I'm gonna make you proud, daddy.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna make you so proud.
Speaker 1: You make your daddy proud.
Speaker 7: You're gonna be so.
Speaker 3: Proud, bro.
Speaker 1: Proud.
Speaker 3: Get the fuck out of the line.
Speaker 12: Of the casting in this movie, so we get the casting. Rip Torn, for my money is and there are things I love about this film.
Speaker 7: I'm obviously not a hater. He is the best thing in this movie, Ripped Torn. And it shocks me.
Speaker 12: And of course it's the date malaged my very. I don't know how true, and neither is that he wasn't even the first choice. And I'm like, and some of the choices I saw that they vetted before or tried to vote, and it didn't happen before Torn. I was like Gary Shandler, like they just went to the Larry Sander cast basically and to a tour with third I cannot imagine Gery Shandling in this role.
Speaker 7: I can't imagine.
Speaker 12: Maybe I like Jeffrey Tambor, He's awesome, but no nobody else could do this role. But Rip Torn, Ripped Torn, has that chaos element in him.
Speaker 7: He is chaos.
Speaker 12: If he was a woman, he'd be Heiress, the goddess of chaos that is rip Torn. And he also has that underground, a reverent spirit about him, even he's the like outer limits then doing like Maidstone in the sixties and doing wild avant garn theater and so retards. It perfect to do this kind of like insane, very anti mainstream comedy with a completely mainstream bud and distribution. He's perfect and he's so angry in this film. It's like he was doing Angel Tossed in the Trail a theater and I love him well.
Speaker 2: And he never stopped working. But there was that weird bump that he got from Men in Black where it was just like, remember this guy, Like, like I said, he hadn't gone away. He was Hercules that same year. He had been in down Periscope a few years prior to that, like he's always been around Canadian Bacon another classic. But it's like he got that little bump from Men in Black and it was just like, look out, he's back. And Ripped Torn, by the way, I always used to confuse him with Rip Taylor, because Rip Torn obviously is a joke name, and then Rip Taylor doesn't have a joke name, but I always mix those two up because I was just like, well, of course, the guy whose name Rip Torn is throwing confetti everywhere and another nice little nod to the end of the first Jeckass movie.
Speaker 1: And that's why I had to send you guys the bit about Maidstone, because I'm like, if Tom Green was a pain in the ass director, which I don't know if he was or not, I'm like, that's nothing compared to what Ripped Torn dealing with Norman Mayler in their fight, which included a hammer to the skull and someone getting their ear bitting off. I'll uh, Mike Tyson, it's crazy.
Speaker 7: We're already having a wave in the theory as it is.
Speaker 12: And then I'm thinking about young viral Rip Torn on probably twenty hits to ask hidden Norman Mayler, who was such a knob of Layton Mayler. Just it's a terrible person, stabbed his pregnant wife at one point, by the way, so fuck him. And there's Rip cool as a cucumber, call him baby baby the Norman's I could just we could do ahole episode on just that scene of Maidstone.
Speaker 7: I would be so glad to guess on that towards perfect. He's perfect in this film and it's spanking his fair ass going fucking ly.
Speaker 2: Fuck Lee Core, you want a fucking daddy, Fuck you daddy, Fuck you daddy.
Speaker 7: It's not right. It's riptort and somebody and Gary shambling during that.
Speaker 12: I can't, I can't, and he would probably just sound like embarrassed trying to say the lights fuck fuck me.
Speaker 7: I don't know.
Speaker 12: I can't do Gary Shanley, but ripptorn and having Julie Haggardy that's the mother like great Julie Haggerty. I always loved seeing her pop up in something. She's always just like a familiar light for me, which she when I see he in a movie.
Speaker 2: Little underdone as far as her role goes, like I wish there was a little bit more of her, but she's basically the long suffering wife. I do like that she ends up leaving him and starts getting some of that good dick from.
Speaker 12: Shack, who's like angsteeing out she has she has got him what would be the opposite of digmatized vagina tized, I got this person for you.
Speaker 7: Like embarrassed for her. It's it's so I'm just like, oh, that's lovely, go get that, you go.
Speaker 9: Go.
Speaker 12: Julie Haggerty. No granted being with the melee griptorn that this is a rip tour. This is the gim character I think, who's even more angry and maybe equally legal polititious an action.
Speaker 7: But but yeah, this this family dynamic and then you have Gore does a character. Now's the question I have for you from both year.
Speaker 12: Do you feel like Gord as a character simultaneously uplifts the film because some of the funny spits are som green, But then his character is such a bad penny for everything he touches that it's sometimes it's it's not funny, it's just, oh, Jeeve, Gord, you have such a nice Canadian name.
Speaker 3: What are you doing?
Speaker 1: On one level, I could relate to his character because I got that they're working class, Like dad works at the mill or something, and he wants a creative life. He wants to be this cartoonist. And in the beginning when he's drawing this X ray cat cartoon and he's like, I'm gonna get be an animator and this is like his goal and so that's the basically the main driver for him is to try and figure out how to establish himself. So there's part of me that like can relate to that oh man, like, I'm so far away from ever having a creative life because basically the best I could do would be to go work at the bank, which is what the other character has so his brother, so to me, I can relate to that. At the same time, his character's gone if you did the things he does in reality. Like I said, you have to look at this as a cartoon to a certain extent, because if you were going to take this as sincerity, like just him stopping the car and running over to the farm and helping out with the stud the stud horse, I think that might get you institutionalized. They might be doing a McMurphy on there, McMurray on you there. It's at the end because you're just a little too unhinged. But the one thing that I really love about this, and we talk about the other characters, is I really love the Betty character. And that was the thing that really I absolutely connected to in this film. I said, Wow, I'm like, here's a character who she's a woman who has sexual agency, who's in a wheelchair, and it doesn't face him at all. He's just like, big deal, Like she's in a wheelchair. And other people comment about the fact that she's in a wheelchair as a handicap, but she does not allow that and those expectations to stop what she wants to do. And I was like that, I think is one of the rare things where it's like, oh, you pitied, it's so sad. There's always this pity for the disabled character, and not in this movie, like she's treated just any other normal quote unquote, and I'm using her quotes normal person, which which I thought that was rather bold and interesting given the time. I don't think anyone's doing that. Then.
Speaker 12: Oh my god, I love Betty that much Marisa Coughlin or Marissa Coughlin I could be doing.
Speaker 7: She's dynamite here. I loved her performance so much.
Speaker 12: I love her weird little sort of beavisy kit like giggle, like she got this little stouter giggle like that. But she's as unhinged in some ways as Gored. After he first meets Betty and she, oh, yeah, he was my number and he's selling his like harl William's character is, Oh my god, it's so weird. I asked to girl out.
Speaker 7: She said yes, and he's about to but he's like, yeah, it is weird. Her likes don't work or something.
Speaker 12: But then that's dropped like it's not really, it's like, okay, cool whatever, Like it's not. It's a non issue, which is super refreshing.
Speaker 7: It's not.
Speaker 12: It's not made into any sort of like after school special kind of vibes.
Speaker 7: And another thing other than like a slur that Jim for Torm's character yells at Freddy and Harlan Williams outside, there's no like homophobia. There's no.
Speaker 12: And this era was rife with gay jokes and and also a lot of sexism, and neither one. Now the women, the women, Julie Hagerty's kind of she blazes her bother man, I'm out, I'm gonna get with Shack, and Betty's just, oh my god, my favorite. And the way Coughlin delivers this line nails me. It just kills me, because like they have their reunion and he's given her jewels and she's doing that big teary eyed where's I don't want your jewels?
Speaker 7: And you think she's gonna say, I just want your love, and she's like, I just want to suck a cock.
Speaker 1: That's what I love about that. It's no good.
Speaker 2: I love that she just wants to suck his cock, wants to have her legs beaten with a bamboo pole, And I also love his response to that, like he does indulge her fetish both both times we see them together. In early part of the film, he's beating her life eggs. He screws up and hits her in the face at one point, but once he understands that, he's like, okay, and then even like offers up his knee to be hit and everything, but the whole thing of her just one suck his cock, and he's just like, well, can we just go out for dinner? Like it's not that you know, Peter Venkman, when Dana's coming on to me, he's like, oh all right, well no, no, no, I shouldn't like because you know Venkman wants to hit that even though Dana's not in her right mind. But Gord is very just like, oh, no, I actually want to go out on a date with you, Like we've had two dates. Neither one of our dates because both times you end up sucking my cock. And it's like he actually wants to take her to a fancy restaurant, sir, this is a fancy restaurant.
Speaker 1: And that's what I also liked about it was that's the thing he's uncomfortable about. It's just like that she has his agency, and at first he's kind of like, I don't know how to deal with that. Aren't we supposed to go to dinner and hold.
Speaker 7: Hands and be romantic?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Right, Yeah, he's just that's a good Portland boy, you know, wants to with the Canadian name. He wants to hold hands. Yeah, doesn't want all that cocksucking all the time, even though she's voracious, even and she doesn't even question too much him having a umbilical core duct tape to his stomach.
Speaker 12: I love that she like arches her eyebrow and then after he explains that she's oh, I could work around that. She's like such a trooper. She loves at Falacio. She is down for the crime. And yeah, the ubilical cordus gross. There are some gags and this film that actually hit me more gross and raw now that I think they did when I was younger. I don't know if that's just because of getting older, or if it's just sobriety. It's probably the combination, and this one will only probably hit people funny if they've seen the movie, because describing it is not gonna do it justice. But after he meets with the great I loved Anthony Michael Holl in this film. By the way, he's a charactor. I always just loves seeing them. Anthony Michael Hall is great and he gives he's actually really good advice like that may be the most unrealistic thing in this film. Actually is a successful entrepreneur in Hollywood giving helpful advice to a somebody who's very green. But he's just You're like, the drawings are good, the story sucks. You need to work on the story. She need to get inside these characters. You'd inside these animals that you were drawing. And Tom Green seeing a dead deer carcass is an old, dead, horned, antlered animal cuts it guts right in the little street and where is it like a cape. He's like, like that make you and then he gets it by a semi and then the guy checks on him.
Speaker 7: He's covered in like old road killed blood and he.
Speaker 12: Just starts laughing maniacally, going greed, Tom greed, but he gets super unhinged in the way he does that.
Speaker 7: He does it so well.
Speaker 12: It always makes me laugh, like he's just so good at committing to just the intensity these intensities, he's just it's but he's on.
Speaker 7: He just added out it always tickles my funny bone.
Speaker 1: Those notes that he gives him about the X Ray cant Animation show feels like a meta commentary on the film itself. It feels exactly like, you've got this idea, but it doesn't quite work and all this. So he it's almost like he's explaining why the movie is the way it is. To a certain it's interesting. But I also thought when he puts the the animal carcass on and does the dance, I was like, I never knew that this was an inspiration for Midsummer If.
Speaker 12: Rip Torn's role in this film, if his performance inspired him being cast for Dodgeball, because not about three years later, and I feel like there's a similar dynamic.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's the old man kind of thing. Yeah, you can dodge a wrench, you can dodge a ball.
Speaker 12: To your point, Mike, this was in that mid period between like Larry Sanders and the first minute Black and then later on mid of Black two and then Dodgeball. Because definitely Dodgeball really further amped up the You know, I won't call it a comeback.
Speaker 7: Because he's been there for years, but definitely the more like newer generation awareness of return. But yeah, oh god, it's someone.
Speaker 2: Talking about this movie being a parody of other quote unquote gross out comedies. I mean, obviously he's going to go farther than anybody ever has before, just because he's one making a point about stuff, and two he's Tom Green. So like the whole thing with the roadkill, from what I understand, that's where the line and the M and M song about humping a dead moose came from, and that was part of his show. It's amazing to hear him talk about or to see some of these clips from his show and realize that so many of the things that he's doing in this movie are basically like riffs on the show, or references to things that were on the show, or even references just the things in real life. You talked about in the commentary about how he had a friend who would talk about business, and you know, you you buy the stocks when they're when they're really low, and then you sell them when they're when they're high, and you buy them low and then you sell them when they're high and you're just doing that thing. And he also I guess they did the whole thing with the phone with the tape recorder and then you know, yelling like you know, you look at your desk, you're fucking fired, like all that stuff. It's just it's all like I don't want to say recycling, but it's just like, Okay, well, these are good bits and we're going to pull them all together in this this film.
Speaker 1: That was the thing also that I liked about the Tom Green documentary was some of those scenes that are in that documentary. He doesn't connect them one to one that way. But after seeing because I watched Freddy Got Fingers and then so the documentary watch it again, I was like, as you were saying, I'm like, oh, this is just him doing a fictionalized version of this instead of a man on the street version of this.
Speaker 12: One of the flaws of this film, and it's just time back to how the story aspects of the film are obviously very loose. That's fine, but there are parts that full flat because in the film will do a little traditional film moment, but then there's like bits and there's to me, a disharmony with it that doesn't feel organically part of what he's doing.
Speaker 7: There are parts of it that do, and those are the parts that work really well, but then there are other parts that just don't.
Speaker 12: It's like what those thinkings isn't like the other kind of thing. And that's why I was like, I almost wonder if this would have just worked better if take away a lot of that sheen and studio control and just make your own sheen and delude Tom, just make it super diy, but with the same caz.
Speaker 7: I think that'd be like an interesting flavor.
Speaker 12: Is still like, we still have some Hollywood elements, but then the rest of this is just just like souped nuts.
Speaker 2: But what were you what was the hot the gross out bits?
Speaker 9: You know?
Speaker 2: I was talking about how if this is a parody of other gross out comedies, he's going to amp up the gross out bits as much as much as he possibly can, so things like the dead deer, things like the birthing scene, which rewatching this again, I was like, yeah, I can kind of see why people thought this was objectionable, but I just found it very funny. I especially like the whole moment where he's got his shoes literally screwed to the floor so he can grab the baby ahull way back on the umbellical cord and like it. Like you said, Rob, it's like a living cartoon that he's doing with this, and you know, and then he ends up saving that baby. Why is nobody applauding him for that?
Speaker 1: Come on, that's right. You got a problem with heroes around here.
Speaker 2: In my mind, I conflated the elephant jacking off with the horse shacking off, and Eat walks in the commentary about jacking off a horse, and I'm like, can you consider it jacking off a horse if there's no completion, because for me, it was just molesting a horse rather than jacking off a horse.
Speaker 12: Yeah, get it right, Tom Green, you liar. He really just grabs the horse as willy And it's.
Speaker 7: Like, oh, well about a farm guy working on a farm, which I'm fine with. I don't want to see or I don't want to see any animal. It was bad enough we saw what.
Speaker 12: We did here.
Speaker 2: Just the drippiness of the horse cock was really I was just like wow. And he talks about that a little bit on the commentary. He's just like, I don't know what that liquid is or it might have been in the documentary where he's talking about the liquid. I think he's actually talking to our guest on this episode, the producer, one of the producers. So it's like, yeah, no, I don't know where that liquid comes from either. No, that is in the commentary where he's like, my cock doesn't have liquid on it, and I was like, well, you do have pre com. So I think that might be the horse's pre com just kind of getting it ready kind of thing.
Speaker 1: The next we're going to decide exactly when is the moment that a premature ejaculation becomes a mature ejaculation. What are we talking about here? This is what we call foreshadowing.
Speaker 7: It's Chekoff's gun.
Speaker 1: He needed to pay off, he had to pay off. It's Chekhoff's gun. Literally, there you go.
Speaker 2: Well, and again, you know, it's the miracle of life, which we have with the baby scene. We also have the breathing and it really all speaks to the whole power of power of fathers and sons, you know, which is through this and especially when it comes to the whole idea of Freddy getting fingered. It's very capturing the freedman's in that way. In fact, I think that this is more arn't felt than capturing the Freedman's myself camp follow.
Speaker 12: That up, Mike, I will say, I like to they Tom Green had seen brov Checks a little bit and was inspired by the opening sequence in that film.
Speaker 7: That is a That film is a masterpiece.
Speaker 12: But the word I can't believe we got got away with it like in our rating, I don't. There's like different cuts. But he got a weigh with a lot and I'm just like, but the NPA is we don't want, we.
Speaker 7: Don't want kind of lingos. But we're fine with a horse, a real horse penis being.
Speaker 12: Hoisted up by a hand. Go me like that, but no kind of lingos and no, no, no human male genitals. A giant horse penis is perfectly fine. But no, don't you be given that little human adult willy in that picture.
Speaker 1: Now, I think part of it has to do with tone. It is so ridiculous. You can't you just can't take it serious. It can't take any of the thing really serious in here. And I agree with you on that that it's to its detriment as a standard narrative that you can't really take things serious. So it does have this kind of back and forth where you're like you could get into the narrative and then something pulls you out. So that's why I don't I think it works as a straight ahead film. It's almost like an art piece exp like we're trying to go, I go. This is a shnandalu. This is some sort of performance art piece more than it is a standard narrative film.
Speaker 7: Yeah, Tom Green as Karen Findley. The only thing missing is the can of yams. Yeah, that's great. That's a great way to approach it.
Speaker 12: Also a side note with the cartoon elements, did you guys feel like there was any sort of John Kay from Red and Stimpy sort of satire going on? Because when we see the cartoon come to action, which is by the way they'll look at my hoofs part is one of my favorite things, not just in this.
Speaker 7: Film, in life.
Speaker 12: If having a bad day, I get to say our ground going, you've got feet But was hilarious, but that his whole like Zebra People cartoon, like the violence in that and the father character. It felt to me so much like John Kay because John k always said there was ocular strangchin I grow fifties male father archetypes.
Speaker 7: And everything is like everything is just even things that.
Speaker 12: Are pretty are really close up really gnarly and nasty, and there's like weird hairs and all of that.
Speaker 7: I just I felt like it was very much like a John K kind of satire.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I could see Ren and stimpy. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Well yeah when he pulls him down the street and his teeth are grinding along and you just think of you think everyone Wren had that bad tooth and you get to see that close up of the mouth where it's just like the little stink lines coming off of things, and just yeah, how awful his mouth was. Yeah, I can definitely see that. I think was the animator I think was involved with Beavis and Butthead. But it didn't look like Beavis and Butthead did not have that same animation style, which I always appreciated. And I haven't watched the new Beavis and butt Head because apparently that's a thing, but I always appreciate it. Just how shitty the animation looked like kind of on purpose, you know, I mean, like just the faces and everything just were not right, you know, like, yeah, they you know Beavis had a really or sorry but had had a really weak chin, but like that chin. I mean you've seen, I'm sure we've all seen. This is what Beavis and butt Heead would look like in real life and that Nightmare fuel kind of like this is what Popeye would look like in real life, or here's what Homer Simpson would look like in real life, and you're just like, holy shit. Both of them, but especially Ren and Stimpy were great with bros out kind of stuff and just yeah, those close ups or I would love when they would do close ups and then you'd hear the fog horn.
Speaker 12: At least Viavis and butt Head. I can still enjoy it because Mike Judge isn't a creeper. But yeah, thanks John k.
Speaker 2: Oh, yeah yeah, that that John k documentary will turn your stomach.
Speaker 7: I had even see the documentary. I read the was it es choire?
Speaker 12: I read the article and that with heartbreaking on so many levels, and especially as I'm the age that those girls were like because I got into that show as a little kid actually and I.
Speaker 7: It was like nothing.
Speaker 8: Yeah.
Speaker 12: I hate when people are like, oh, this were in my childhood. Your childhood is still there, your Childhoo's fine.
Speaker 7: It's the past. It is the past.
Speaker 12: I say it feels tainted now, Yeah, because it does. They ever Billy West love Billy West. As far as I know, Billy West hasn't done anything on tours.
Speaker 2: I did see Pretty Got Fingered compared a lot to Dirty Work, which we just watched for the Chevy Chase podcast, because I think Chevy Chase is in it for like two seconds or something. Actually, I think he works on Who's the greatest insult comic of all? Don Rickles? I think he's Don Rickles's doctor. It didn't connect with Dirty Work at all, and I think that's one of those nostalgia things where if you grew up with it, you're probably still a big fan. But I didn't grow up with it, and I was like, eh, yeah, I do like Norm McDonald a lot, and he also has a lot of anti comedy. I just saw him telling a joke today where you know, he talked with his doctor and his doctor said, if you don't quit eating like this, you're going to have a heart attack or a stroke. And the person said, I thought you were setting up for a joke. He goes, no, my doctor's not a comedian.
Speaker 7: I am, Oh my god. I missed that man so much.
Speaker 12: And the best thing the Bob Saggett roast Norm McDonald's I know this isn't a side, but it must be spoken. One of the other comedians tries to best him and be like listening to Norm McDonald do comedies like watching Henry fond of pick blueberries and Nor McDonald just without this to be Oh, I can't think of anything more that this audience would love to see than him under flip Love.
Speaker 2: We have a lot of well wishers here tonight, and a lot of them would like to throw you down one a well.
Speaker 3: They want to murder you in a well. It's a little harsh, but.
Speaker 2: Apparently they want to murder you in a well.
Speaker 1: It says you're on this card.
Speaker 7: That man's a JOm, that man is an ass. I miss I miss him so much.
Speaker 12: Also, I'm ashamed, but he said the greatest insult comic of all time, Mike my brain said, triumph.
Speaker 1: He's up there.
Speaker 2: He's definitely up there. Getting back to Betty real quick. The other thing that we should not forget is that she's the one that actually influences and inspires Gored to fulfill his dream because she fulfills her dream of having that rocket powered wheelchair, and you know, she gets on the news and everything. She's the one that really inspires him while he has his freak out serving more cheese sandwiches. And honestly, when I watched Laugh Out Loud or Last One Laughing, I had no memory of this whole cheese sandwich theme, and apparently that was also a theme on the show, and people would you know, he would always bring up cheese sandwiches. So I love that scene when he's working at the second cheese sandwich place, the actual like subway shop, and just piling on all the cheese onto that guy sandwich. That that really worked for me. There are a lot of moments in this movie that do work quite a bit for me. I mean, the sausage song is fantastic. It's interesting too that he doesn't seem to care about pacing. You would think that Gord coming back to Oregon would be the end of act one, but it happens like what fifteen minutes into this movie, So it's like so quick. He just like goes down, sees the horse keeps going, you know. And I know we'll talk about deleted scenes, and there were a lot of deleted scenes in that opening sequence, even to the point of towards the end of the movie having the person holding the sign saying when is this fucking movie going to end? It's like, yeah, we are definitely way past where the third act should have ended.
Speaker 1: As you were saying, she becomes the inspiration for him to complete his mission. Is his reaction when it doesn't work that he's don't you feel like a dummy, and she's no, because how can I expect to get it on the first time? And so I really love that interplay of attitudes where it's no, it has to be easy and simple, otherwise I'm just going to collapse. I'm not gonna be able to do anything, or it's now I'll just I'll just keep iterating until I get it. And so I love how they represent two different ideas of the creative end in that way, because I dealt with people on both sides who are like, oh, I'm just fucking terrible. I got rejected by all these agents, nobody wants to hire me, and it's oh, I'm done. And it's really because it is the tenacity of the cockroaches that run the joint and is to have to say.
Speaker 7: He actually has two different people give him actually really.
Speaker 12: Sound and vibe and not like sound in Hollywood movie advise, keep doing it.
Speaker 7: You have to keep testing it.
Speaker 12: And even like Anthony Michael Halls were like, yeah, actually your art's good, just there's no story, Like it's animation.
Speaker 7: We have to tell a story. You gotta work on the story. And it's okay. The Gord's got like some good people in his life. I don't know whether or not he deserves them. He literally falsely accuses his father of molesting his adult aged brother, who is then he's put in a in a home. But it's it's it's not funny, but it's funny.
Speaker 12: Frank Cron asked, Freddy's like with these kids watching like Medical future.
Speaker 2: Watching the Texas Chainsaw massacre. Oh, you're right, No, it was the medical footage that he was watching when they came to take him away. He was watching Tom Green's actual operation footage. And you had Tom Green's actual like high school photo next to the television. Yeah, and really thinking about it because Green, the thing about that documentary that really shines through is just his real life tenacity, Like he is the opposite of Gord when it comes to this, Like he you know, it's like John Payce's Crime Wave. He came from the North End. He had a dream, you know, he has this dream of I want to have my television show. And everything he did in his entire life was to get this dream fulfilled. You know, he took a lot of video classes when he's in high school. He's you know, started to work on public access. He started his public access show. It got so popular that he moved from you know, one network to like I think it was much Much Music or something in Canada, and then it gets to go to New York and.
Speaker 1: Make his pitch.
Speaker 2: It gets picked up. He has his own talk show now on like MTV, And it's just amazing to see how hard he worked to do that and to perfect these things, and how he would keep what worked and then worked on what didn't work. And you know, the things like his co host or the guy who sat behind him in the window and would laugh at things like those worked for him.
Speaker 1: So he just keeps doing it.
Speaker 2: He could have dumped those guys that he grew up with and been like no, no, give me, like an Andy Richter or something, but no, he's stays loyal to his friends. And that was The really nice thing too about that documentary was here's all of his friends from fucking high school are still friends with him.
Speaker 7: That tells through everything.
Speaker 3: And Glenn.
Speaker 12: I can't even imagine him not having Glenn. I care about Glenn's last name, but Glenn. Glenn's like his co on the show. And Glenn's always kind of like this, kind of like the straight guy to Tom's Shenanigans and and just and poor Glenn. There was this whole thing where Tom kept trying to get Glenn to like sensually kisses and he can try to set up the mood.
Speaker 7: I love that. And also public access represent as somebody who I.
Speaker 12: Learned all my video my core video skills at a bublic access station. I worked at a public access station. And people don't get public access enough credit.
Speaker 7: And that's the thing. That's what it's there for, for people to learn these skills to get their art out there.
Speaker 12: That's a beautiful thing. And I just love that Tom Green used that, especially because not everybody. Most people don't have as cheaper as the technology gets. If you're working class, that technology isn't that chy. It's not if you're paying, if you're living paycheck to paycheck. You can't just be like, oh yeah, let me go spend several hundred bucks on a camera and then more more on an editor and stuff like that. So he just us everything that he could. He's a great working class hero. And you know what, even if somebody hates this film, I don't think you could say he sold out. Selling out would have probably been in his financial favor at this point because he was white hot from.
Speaker 7: All that MTV and all doing What was that movie Road Trip, which I know I saw. I can't remember a thing of did your brother the Tom Greene being in it? I don't remember the movie. I know for a fact I watched it. It was so much. I don't know if it was just like a nothing burger of a comedy where it just nothing suck.
Speaker 2: It's funny. I don't remember anything except for him putting the mice in his mouth. And I really remember another Trip movie way better, which is Euro Trip. I thought that that was great, But yeah, I don't remember road Trip at all either.
Speaker 1: I love the scene where he's with the construction foreman, whether it's like gonna do stuff at the house and they gave me a million dollars and I did this, and I did this again. It's this meta commentary on the fact that they gave me this money to make something they don't know what they're doing, and.
Speaker 2: I spent it on stupid shit, like seven hundred thousand dollars for a fucking helicopter rental.
Speaker 1: It's just hilarious to me because it almost feels like a commentary on the actual movie again that you're watching, because he's almost like amazed that they gave him the money, much the way that I'm sure Tom Green's I'm amazed they gave me this money to just do this.
Speaker 2: That scene with Anthony Michael Hall. You know, we always talk about the end of Bad Lieutenant Port of Call in New Orleans, where it's just like this good thing happens and this one and after a while you're just like, this is way too much. This is obviously satire. And him there with Anthony Michael Hall, he's like, I don't know, a million dollars. He's like, oh sure, yeah, and like write some a check for a million dollars and it gets go to the old Gray Bank, where not only I imagine Freddy works there, but also the Harley Williams character works there. As well, and he's just like, you know, yeah, here's my million dollar check, you know, like cash this check for me. And I'm like, you can't just cash a million dollar check, Gord. You know, it's it's a whole other thing. No matter how much you hump on Asian customers.
Speaker 7: Stop humping mister Lee. Oh, I know, Anthony Bikerl. Hall excels it so well. I'm wondering because I saw a little clip online of Green.
Speaker 12: I guess Howie Bendel has, of course, having Mendel's a podcast and and Tom Green was on a little clip I saw was how he Bendell like still be like sore because he auditioned for a part in this movie and he obviously didn't get it. But in the in the clip I saw, they didn't say which character, and I'm thinking, I'm thinking it had to have been the Anthony Michael Hall.
Speaker 7: Because Mendel's too young for the dad.
Speaker 12: But he's like a little bit older than Tom Green, so him being Harlem Williams wouldn't make sense.
Speaker 7: He's definitely not gonna be Freddy.
Speaker 2: No, it seems like that would a word. I mean, there's a few roles that we'll talk about after the jump that are completely on the cutting room floor. Could have been one of those. But yeah, no, I don't. I think him as the radioactive President probably would have made a lot of sense.
Speaker 7: He's fine, Patry Mindell's fine. He needs to get over it.
Speaker 12: Anthony Michael Hall is great and I love I love him in this We get the Drew Barrymore cameo that was a little I don't know if it's because we know what we know now, that felt a little okay, Tom, But I don't know. Heck, if I was him and engaged to Drew Barrymore, I probably would have done the same thing.
Speaker 1: But that scene with Drew Barrymore where he comes in and he's I'm looking for the person that he's got to think like I'm statute of limitations is run out. But I'll admit that I've done things like that as a journalist, where I was like trying to track someone down and I'd be like looking for the guy, who's the guy and you just kind of walk through, Like if you act like you belong there, people won't stop you. You could just walk you just walk right into the scene.
Speaker 2: You can just point out the floor and go Japanese or whatever he does to the more security guard.
Speaker 1: Because I used to have to do that for my job. So I was like, right on, I've been there, I understand.
Speaker 7: Were you dressed like an old timey British body?
Speaker 1: No, sadly no.
Speaker 7: Also, I would be sobermiss if I didn't bring this up with you guys. The soundtrack in this film.
Speaker 12: That was the thing I remember the first time I watched this when I heard Problems by the Pistols come out immediately, and I.
Speaker 15: Was like, oh, hell, yes, now we're talking like this ain't no crazy Town or they would have played in this era. And there are a few oh in the Ramones, Yeah you have the Ramones, the Dead Kennedy's Agent Orange, Yeah, we got Agent or I, and there are a few choices.
Speaker 7: I was like, oh, God, of course we're getting. But as all the soundtrack's really good, we get the New York Dolls.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we'll definitely talk about a song that he tried to get for that section with the New York Dolls, but we'll save that one for after the jump. The one thing that he said in the commentary that I really liked was there's a moment I think where Harlan Williams says you can't do that or something. He like tells Gord like that that everything is over and like it's it's it's done, and then Green was going to roll the credits at that moment and then just like stop the credits and be like, no, no, it's not over. You know, nothing is over kind of thing. Nothing is over till we say it is. And I kind of I almost wish he would have played with the form a little more because he's already doing like this kind of anti comedy thing and making fun of these other movies. But I feel like he could have gone even farther.
Speaker 15: With some of this.
Speaker 1: I think part of the reason why it works is that he's referencing a concept, but not an idea itself. And what I mean by that is is that this isn't the scary movie franchise where it's like, oh, that's a reference to this movie and this person stressed up like that. It's it's more of a tone concept of the gross out films and the fairly movies and all that stuff, and he's just taking the piss out of it by just jacking it up through the fucking ceiling and speaking of jacking things up through the fucking ceiling, the whole house thing. So this is where a little bit of classic, classic old school comedy comes in with his Buster Keaton reference.
Speaker 2: Yeah, what an amazing visual of the house on that. It's not a stilt, I mean it's one. It's a monopod. You know, it's just balanced on there as he's tearing ass through obble. You know, definitely not It was booked like just a big bitch that they dug and put a bunch of people in burkas.
Speaker 12: Oh please, you know Bronson Cannon was just like twenty feet away from I was, oh gods, yeah that and you're right, that is like such a like yp Okay, now we have a bed Atbuster Keaton.
Speaker 7: They're a little bit of maybe like Hoping Crosby.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's like a road movie.
Speaker 7: Yeah yeah, tiny bit there. But then there's like fake elephant semen.
Speaker 1: I wonder if there was a different title, because okay, the title is the line that they like gets gets attention. But the thing is it's like his dad really like never really brings it up again after they have their kind of blowout, and you would think that calling someone a pedophile an ancestual pedophile would just be like, all right, I'm done with you. Fuck you. I never want to talk to you again. And in the end, it's after he's got the show and he did, they go on the pack stand adventure. Dad's proud, so the goal is met, so it's like never really brought up again, and it's like, oh, everything's fine. So I guess maybe that's just a joke on comedies that you could do like the worst shit the people, and as long as everything happens in the end, it's happy. Everything's fucking forgiven.
Speaker 2: Really, Yeah, And even that poor little kid that walks into the propeller, you know, you do get to hear him go, I'm okay.
Speaker 7: The ad R was a maidic.
Speaker 12: It was that's It's frozen scream, which Eric, if you guys have seen this, this horror gem, I just recently saw Member.
Speaker 7: So I'm the ADR and nat is a wonder. Call it that. It's a wonder.
Speaker 2: And there you have the father and son relationship too, because we keep seeing this kid just get inadvertently abused by father.
Speaker 12: That poor kid, like when I have the dietar and he's can I happen.
Speaker 7: Just like a cake daddy like that your birthday.
Speaker 12: Of course, it's like this, poor kid and holy shit, okay, the same Ripertory does this like weird little Lord Fonterroy accent at the dinner table about the rice.
Speaker 8: Ohoo, little Lord Fontleroy is tell me because there's too much roast beef in it.
Speaker 1: This is boring.
Speaker 3: I'm eating a chicken scent with Oh you're not. Oh shit, this is crazy. I'm a twenty eight year old man. I should be able to eat a chicken sandwich if I want.
Speaker 7: He's twenty eight years old and he can eat a chicken sandwich.
Speaker 1: Very impressive.
Speaker 5: Mike Fitzgiven's son is a nuclear physicist.
Speaker 3: And my son can eat it. No, you can either eat that goddamn roast beef.
Speaker 1: Or you can go to bed. Why can I not eat a twenty.
Speaker 12: Man?
Speaker 2: I'm twenty eight years old.
Speaker 1: It's the over pronunciation of endings that is the thing that I like. Yeah, sandt.
Speaker 3: My belly again.
Speaker 7: So I cannot imagine anybody in this role other than rip Tourn. He's so perfect. It's like it was raping him.
Speaker 12: It really feels like That's why I was floored. May this the Jeffrey Jones and Gene Wilder.
Speaker 7: Is that true.
Speaker 2: I don't know. It doesn't seem like it could be possible.
Speaker 12: Thank god they didn't put Jeffrey Jones in it, because but yeah, I mean, like it's bizarre just.
Speaker 7: The list of people.
Speaker 12: And I'm like this was written even if it wasn't intentionally written for rip Torn, there was some cosmic lattice work going on where it's Ripturn's role, like he's going to do this and he's going to own it.
Speaker 1: I can't even think of who could play this role. The only other way that you could go is I'm thinking of when Herzog was into Harmony Karn movies, like that would be the only way it would be, like you need someone like that.
Speaker 12: There is one person, ironically, I almost don't want to mention because I know he's in the deleted Saints, So I almost wonder if I should save this.
Speaker 7: But if we're bringing it now, I will say, if anybody has seen Joe Flaherty's Kirk Douglas impersonation Kirk, what on earth.
Speaker 3: Would you do with a child like this, I'll tell you what I'd do. I'd take her and butter Cross money. Then I'd give her a good log, hearty good.
Speaker 12: I'm a massive Joe Flaherty fan, but I'll save that for a deleted part, but I will say Joe Flaherty on Kirk Douglas energy could have come close.
Speaker 7: I really do think that, yeah, because he's.
Speaker 2: Kind of doing that a little bit in one crazy summer. If memory serves, Oh my.
Speaker 7: God, I love let me.
Speaker 1: I'd like to call him my friend. But I would be alart.
Speaker 12: Because Flaherty really could do that, just like he had Dad energy already, and he could do that just really hyper funny, angry voice.
Speaker 7: I would Kirk would have been too young at this juncture. Job Odaker could do that.
Speaker 2: Now let's go ahead and we're going to take a break, and we'll be back with an interview with producer Lauren Lloyd right after these brief messages. Looking for something superior to streaming, a place with more than five times the selection available on all of the other streaming services combined, check out Scarecrow Videos rent by mail service. Select from an unparalleled collection of over one hundred and fifty thousand films. I get Blu rays, four k's and DVDs delivered directly to your door. Get in on it now at scarecrow dot com and rediscover the wonders of physical media. Before we start talking about Freddie got fingered, I'm so curious, how did you get your start in the business, because I know that you were a casting director for a while, and then did you do acting as well?
Speaker 1: Now?
Speaker 13: I went to Carnegie Mellon in Pittsburgh after high school, and I really always wanted to be an actress. I thought, Hey, my big face should be up there. And then when I was applying to audition there, I thought, everyone, all women actually are going to be auditioning to be act So I'm going to say I want to be a director, and somehow I'll trick them and they'll let me in.
Speaker 7: And I did.
Speaker 13: I got in as a director. So then I started seeing another side of things, not just acting. And after a graduation, I moved to Massachusetts and I worked with the American division of the Royal Shakespeare Company and I did some directing there, and then I came to Hollywood, and I you didn't try to figure it all out, you know, It's like there's no rules there. So I just thought casting seemed like a good way in, and then I figured it out from there. I mean, my first movie was Mermaids and it was my sister who sent me the book and I went to a casting associate of mine, Wale Nsita at the time, because she knew everybody, everybody famous, and I thought, oh, I'll find a writer and she'll find a star and we'll make movies. And then we did. It worked out good. So that's how honestly, you know, my very first job was selling cars out in la I had no idea what was what. I just moved out and was like, oh, and I didn't have a car. So I thought, oh, you know what, I'm going to get a job selling cars, nice ones, and I'll sell them to famous Hollywood people and they'll like me and give me a job. And it almost worked like that. But I walked down to a place called Room and BMW and I said I'm here to sell cars, and they were just like, it's the early eighties. Women don't sell cars. And I never thought about that anyway. I persevered, got a gig there, sold a car to an agent who said, oh, come work for me, and off we went.
Speaker 2: It was the eighties and then into the nineties. Did you run into a lot of sexism in your different positions.
Speaker 13: Oh always, it was yeah, always. Do you know what was weird?
Speaker 9: Is that?
Speaker 13: Or maybe not weird? Well, it was just those sexists from the very very beginning. Because when Walie Nasda and I started producing, this is before I became a studio executive that went off with another production company to make Freddy, there was only like Deborah Hill and there was only one other producer's team, and so people could not figure it out. I remember when we started finding writers and you know, selling scripts and stuff. It was Mike Ovitz at CIA called Wally and I in and said, who are you guys? How are you doing things without these scripts coming over my transom. He used that word and I thought, that's a curious word. It was interesting. So when that me Too movement started, it was so shocking as a woman, I think, to be in Hollywood at that time and see, we know all this stuff. You know what I mean to sexism or what's going on to the power curve, or we just know what goes on. We know we're not a part of it. We know that there's another group. But when it came forth, it was like the inner structure of Hollywood kind of fell apart.
Speaker 1: It was.
Speaker 13: It was shocking. Actually, it was shocking to a lot of women. We were just like, okay, wait now they can see what's going on. This is really a wild time. Yeah. So there's that.
Speaker 2: You worked on a huge variety of films over the years, and I'm so curious. What were some of the favorite ones that you worked on. Oh.
Speaker 13: I liked the very first one, Mermaids. I love that because it was our first foray into making a movie, and you know, we discovered Christina Ricci. It was just a blast, and working with Cher was really remarkable, and it was Wally and I leading the way in a creative way, and we didn't have any judgment about what we were doing, so we felt very free to just you know, go with a vision. I mean it was difficult because we went through a lot of directors, a couple of stars, but you know, we found our way. Anyway. I love that. I loved doing Unstrung Heroes with Diane Keaton. She was really amazing, really unbelievably clever and creative and you know she uh, she was just great. I mean she really made a Valentine to mothers. I think the Armstrong Heroes what else. I love working with me more. I did three movies with her. I had just a blast in my life. Anyway, Freddy got fingered was a real unusual turn of events. I was a studio exec at Hollywood Pictures and I believe that. Well, first of all, Tom Green was the rage in the nineteen nineties. I mean he was just the shock and gross out king of MTV, and all the studios of that time really wanted to harness like the audience of MTV in a more significant way. So he was like the ironic punk gross and everybody out. I remember him as like the dude who was who had a microphone and dog poop at the end of it interviewing people and I've this is disgusting, and he had very intriguing So anyway, it was developed there wanted to turnaround from Disney. I think it was Joe Roth who who developed it, and it came by the way of Joe's good friend Larry Bresner at MBST. And Larry has since passed away, but he was the guy who said, what do you think of Tom Green? And we were excited. Everybody wanted this project. By the way, we were excited that we had the ability to get it because he was such a huge star, and he was so we never met anyone like him, and he was such a creative force and such a frightening guy. I have to say in a way that he basically made everyone feel super uncomfortable. So it was a real interesting balance of knowing that this is a really creative guy feeling uncomfortable, wanting to as a producer facilitate and support his vision, which was very difficult. What was so difficult about it, Well, he kept going further and further and further. I mean his idea was that he just I just want to see how far I can go? Because it was like Tom Green's greatest hits, How bizarre can I be? How wild can I be? It wasn't like political or it was just his stuff, his weird, gross out, disgusting stuff. Watching it again now I look back and think what. Quite frankly, I think, how in the world did this come into being? How did Fox give us the money? I remember when we were working on there were two issues that we were working with. One was, okay, we have this crazy script that was not quite developed yet. We worked on developing it. But these crazy stirring of events and we thought, well, who's going to direct this? So we met with a lot of directors. There was a lot of interest, but Tom always really knew visually what he wanted to do.
Speaker 7: So you have to respect that.
Speaker 13: You have to say, okay, he sees it like this, you know, the point of view is like this, the actors are going to be like that. And so he ended up directing it. Larry I decided that we were just going to give him the reins and see if we can control it at all. But it's interesting because I thought this is a very very low budget movie. I mean, if we get a couple of million bucks, let's go be wild and see what happens. And we got a lot of dough. I was stunned. I was just like, we're not going to Pakistan, I mean what. So anyway, it was that it was figuring out how to support his creative vision, be the go between between him and Fox and keeping reins on creatively what he wanted to do. It was very busy.
Speaker 1: Was he always on mostly?
Speaker 13: There was also mostly you know, and that was his shtick.
Speaker 7: He was his stick.
Speaker 13: The whole point of me was trying to figure out what wasn't that. What was interesting is that we used to run lines all the time and there were moments there that I could see who he was. And he also was with Drew Barrymore, and I thought that was a wild experience. Like, Okay, Drew, who's, you know, very grounded and has her roots in Hollywood for generations, and Tom Green, this kind of irascible Canadian. He was real around her, and his best friends were working with him, Sean and Derek Harvey, and he really trusted them, and they were in the movie and they were co writing and they were really supported to him.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you said you were kind of going back and forth between the production and Fox. I mean, was there any concerns by Fox or are they just like this is the biggest thing since sliced.
Speaker 1: Bread, Go Go Go.
Speaker 13: Well, it was also Regency who was the financier. I don't really know what their deal was with Fox, but it was arn On Milshawn who ran Regency, and he was very intrigued with the heat of this young comic. We all were, we were all under the Tom Green spell.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 13: It was also a bunch of let's say older people who didn't quite understand the MTV, you know what this gross out humor was, and we didn't want to stuff on his toes and you could see we didn't.
Speaker 1: I seem to.
Speaker 2: Remember there was a behind the scenes documentary that's on the DVD and there's at least one clip with you and it where it's the finer points of dealing with a erect horse.
Speaker 1: Oh my godness, How on earth did do you make it through this situation?
Speaker 13: I have to say that there were a lot of other crazy personal things going on in my life, which include rescuing Anne Hash from you know, institution and anyway in California. You know, I mean I was managing her, so I left that. I think it was the day after I was mostly I want to say, in shock, how did I get through it? I just got through it. I mean I was there in my trailer. I didn't go out and like witness physical attributes. But it was just another crazy day on the set with Tom Green.
Speaker 2: What were some of your either more shocking or favorite memories from the shoot.
Speaker 13: There was a really sweet moments with Tom and Julie Haggerty talking about why do you let him do this? And kind of the anger that Tom felt about his father. He would talk about that sometimes and that would come out. There was also a lot of stuff that was cut from the cheese factory and the cheese dipping and the Native American stuff. There was a lot of really touching but also bizarre stuff that was cut. But I liked being up in Canada. I loved the group of actors that we assembled. You know, yes, some good act was there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I know that that's amazing. I know I know that other names were thrown around before Rip Torn came in, but I can't see anybody else playing that role.
Speaker 13: He was so bombastic. He was so I agree because he could be so bizarre and menacing and there it was just he was perfect. He was the perfect opposition to Tom.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he didn't my best going through all of the trailers, the behind the scenes, all of these things, trying to put together what this movie was. At some point, because you mentioned more at the cheese factory, Yeah, there's a shot right at the end, like in the outtakes at the end, where it's two people rising up out of a vat of cheese, and I don't know what the circumstances are around that at all.
Speaker 13: I think that was Stephen Tobolowski. I think you might have been cut from the whole movie, because there it was really weirdly coming of age story, if you can imagine about a kid who wanted to peddle his animated goods in Hollywood absurdly so trying to I mean, this is how many years ago do we do this? Twenty five? For a long time ago, I didn't go back and see I don't even remember seeing the outtakes of the interviews from the original release of the DVD or.
Speaker 2: Blu ray whatever.
Speaker 1: Well, I was curious, what was the premiere, Like.
Speaker 13: Boy, I don't even remember the premiere.
Speaker 7: How could that be?
Speaker 13: I don't remember it. Maybe I missed it. Sorry, I don't remember.
Speaker 2: I personally like this movie, and I see a lot of merit in it, but I know that at the time it was so lambasted and very wealthy, right one, A ton of razsies from what I understand.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we did the job, Yeah you did, Yeah you swept, did we?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: And then Tom actually went to the ceremony and played a harmonica solo that was so long that they had to drag him off of the stage.
Speaker 13: That is so like him.
Speaker 2: When did you know that this was being considered as such a bomb, and did that have any adverse effects for you?
Speaker 7: No, it didn't.
Speaker 13: Every time you make a movie and it's released, you're back at ground zero. So no, this was no more difficult than making any other movie. I always stood by the movie. I always thought that it's original, you will, it's unforgettable. We are going to distance, we are representing an artist's point of view, and I believe in that. I watched it again and I was like, what again, I was thinking that, But yeah, I remember talking to an executive from Hollywood Pictures who I believe was or I think was touched on, who was the person who had developed it, and they didn't know what to do with it, and they gave it back, and the trailers started coming out, and I can't remember who we opened it up against, but they were saying, like, what do you think. I said, we're going to do great because I just believe it, and he was just like what really? And I said great. I said it's funny and bizarre. And then when the reviews started coming back, I thought, oh, they're not seeing it or I didn't see it. But I felt like I did my job, you know, and that's really what it's about. Some of the comments. There was one comment if I remember that, first of all, they were across the board horrible, and so I thought, well, we did something right, but we didn't do also something right, that there was a comparison to like original Monty Python and the kind of the absurdist humor there. But now I hear it's a cold classic. It's like a postmodernist masterpiece, like Tom is secretly a genius. I have no idea.
Speaker 2: I read a few college dissertations about it, did you. Yeah, A couple of people at least have used this as their thesis.
Speaker 13: Really and why is that? Because why?
Speaker 2: I think it's the absurdism they come at it from, either neo surrealism or just kind of like existential crisis, especially with all the stuff around his father.
Speaker 13: That's really what grabbed me too.
Speaker 7: I can't believe it.
Speaker 13: Yeah, it was just a crazy time. I remember Harlan Williams. He was fun that whole but and I also remember how dazzling it was that well Tom Green could skateboard, and how dazzling that all that whole culture was.
Speaker 2: I love Harlan Williams. I thought Anthony Michael Hall knocked it out of the park. I felt like a lot of that was very ad libed watching it, and it felt like he was just going along with Green.
Speaker 13: Yeah, he was a powerful force. I don't really know what happened with Tom. I know that he went on to do road Trip, and I know he was very interested in like Brian Grazier's and certain producers.
Speaker 7: But I don't really know.
Speaker 13: I think he got a a podcast again, or of YouTube something. I don't know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think he's podcasting from a place up in Canada. He moved back up to close to Ottawa, close to his hometown.
Speaker 13: I got to check that out.
Speaker 2: How about you, What are you working on these days?
Speaker 13: I am working on something that I think is spectacular. And I thought I was retired, but apparently I'm not. I have another home that's down here in Florida, in Sarasota, there's a tiny fishing village called Cortez, and my helme is like right across the water from there. And during the nineteen seventies, there was more marijuana smuggle through that tiny town than anywhere else in America, and it was all done by sixteen year olds and the dea and the ATF was founded or formed in relation to many smuggling acts, but mostly because of these boys. And they smuggled in so much weed and it went. And the way they did it was they took a twenty three foot boat, four of them, down to Jamaica with a little bit of food and water and a Sears and Roebuck trash compactor, so if they found weed, they would compact it and put a lot on the boat. And they did anyway, So they were part of the Steenhatchie seven, which was the biggest. Walter Cronkite labeled them the steam Hatchie seven. It was the biggest drug bus in America, four and a half million dollars and nine tons. And then you know it was a wild adventure. But actually on the last day of Clinton's president, see, he pardoned our last guy who got life in prison for growing weed. So anyway, so that's what I'm working on. I got my writer director and we just put together a look book and off we go.
Speaker 2: Wow, that is great. I'm so glad that that's happening.
Speaker 13: I got the life rights to the last remaining smuggler and his name is Junior Guthrie. I mean what a great name. Also, so he's seventy eight, and those boys were just wild, wild wild.
Speaker 2: I love the whole crash compactor thing. That's fantastic, go do I.
Speaker 13: And all of it was like that because they were fishermen. I mean, they worked their asses off and they were so poor, and you know, their fathers and their grandfathers all fished. And then there was a law pass that they can't fish the way they had been fishing, so it really broke the back of commercial fishing. The boys thought, well, what are we going to do? And they became multimillionaires. They literally they had parties. They bought an island and they would have parties were Jimmy Buffett and the Almond brothers would come. And Buffett wrote this song, a Pirate Looks at forty. He co wrote it, even though it's not talked about by my lead smuggler Michael, who was eventually killed by the cartel. But it's the wildless story ever I believe. But yeah, Mike Knights murdered by the cartel and Mike White, I thought you were the Mike White I know from La you know, the my White loadeds like White.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, I get that.
Speaker 11: A lot.
Speaker 2: I think it helps get me interview sometimes, but very nice.
Speaker 13: Okay, well, I hope I told you stuff that.
Speaker 2: Was good and new. I don't know absolutely did. I really appreciate this and I appreciate your.
Speaker 13: Time, my pleasure, and I'm thrilled to talk with you.
Speaker 7: Thank you.
Speaker 2: All Right, we were back and we were talking about Freddy Got Fingered and another comedy trope that this movie does that we were seeing a lot in this era were outtakes during the credits, and that relies a lot of scenes that we obviously saw some references there, but then a lot of scenes we didn't see. And I've found it pretty amazing that, I mean, Tom Green was doing the same thing that Parker and Stone were doing right around the same time, I think, where they were providing much longer cuts to the MPAA knowing that a lot of stuff was going to get cut out, so they would basically have things where they're like, we are almost including this in the movie, knowing that it's going to get cut out, so that we can sneak another joke in that won't get cut out. But it's really interesting to look at the deleted scenes and then kind of piecing things together via There was a behind the scenes special. It's on the DVD. There were previews obviously, and you get to see these bits and trying to kind of reform what this movie was, because it sounds like he turned in a two hour version of the film, and what we get is what one hour and twenty three minutes.
Speaker 12: No, it's a short, especially in this age where popcorn movies or almost three hours long. This film, I was like, God, it's not even ninety I don't even think it's quite ninety minutes.
Speaker 7: I think it's eighty seven.
Speaker 1: It's quick. I'm actually glad that it's not two hours, because I'm a firm believer of John Waters maxim that all comedies should be ninety minutes or less because one of the most painful things, and I love this guy. I went and saw Mark Marin when he was like testing stuff for a new special, and it was like a two hour stand up set and it was getting hard to sit there and try to laugh. It was like I was laughed out. So I like, there's part of me that realized from that experience. While it was good, it wasn't. I was like, man, this thing, well, this is going on too long, so I'm glad that it got condensed, but there is a lot of stuff in here that feels choppy. But then again, I'm the guy who said, you can't really watch this is a straight narrative, So what do I know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like the stuff at the farm, you get to see more of that, like him suckling milk right out of a teat of a cow. Again, I think was part of the show as well. I talked about how abbreviated the beginning of this movie was, and that's because when Gordon moves from Oregon to Oregon down to Hollywood, not California, about Hollywood. He is staying with his uncle, and his uncle is played by Stephen Tobolowski, and there's like a whole subplot of stuff. And that was another thing on the DVD was deleted scenes. Unfortunately, Tom talks over the deleted scenes. You don't get them just with the natural audio and the ability to toggle on. As far as I know, maybe I just ripped it incorrectly, but I had him talking over those scenes, and it was interesting to see Tobolowski. He's this gay uncle and uncle Neil, and he's there with this Native American gentleman. I think he's called Big Bear. And there's just a lot too. We were talking about gay jokes. That's where the gay jokes were. That was all him, like oh yeah, well, and it was basically treated very respectfully. It was just like, okay, you know, Ford, you gotta go now, like you gotta you can sleep in my room. I'm gonna make love with this man right now. And he's the one who runs the cheese factory, cheese sandwich factory, so he is the one that got him his job. He's at the cheese factory and another scene and Gord comes in. He's just like, oh, Gord, I'm so glad you can make it. You know, it's noon. You really should have been here earlier. That's why you see all the people leaving from their job, because I think like the shift is over for them. It's pretty much just starting for him and he's losing his mind. Also, in the deleted scenes, you see two people coming up from a cheese vat. I'm not exactly sure where that plays into the narrative, but that was another thing going on with the cheese factory. He talks on the commentary that you actually saw he shot the scene of him going to a costume shop and picking up the Bobby uniform. Again, we don't need that stuff for that, it can just go past that. But then you also see him coming back to the factory after Anthony Michael Hall gives him his advice and he's super sad. And that's also where he quits his job at the cheese sandwich factory and decides he's going to go back to Portland. So that stuff, and also there's one more scene that ties into another deleted scene I'll talk about later, which is Neil. Uncle Neil calls Gord's dad and you see rip Torn on a boat. He's got a boat and he's out on a lake and that boat comes back in another deleted scene. Just get a little bit of that. So by eliminating well, they eliminated the boat and they eliminated Uncle Neil. So like that is a very clean subplot to have removed, and I don't feel like it's missing that much. There's a lot more with his cheese helmet, and I don't even know if you get the I think you get the cheese helmet just in the deleted scene, but you see him like take off the cheese helmet when all the old ladies, the dour old ladies who were instructed to not smile at all when they're leaving their shift.
Speaker 1: That explains why he didn't get fired for all of his standing up on the conveyor belt with the salami going I'm his sexy boy ding dong. I'm like, yeah, hr would be on you faster than flies on a picnic today.
Speaker 12: Yeah, we were robbed the Joe Flaherty that and get Domra I agree completely. This film does that did not need to be any longer than it is. It's a perfect It should be more comedies need to be this short.
Speaker 7: John Wall, what is right?
Speaker 12: Joe Flaherty I think is one of our greatest unsung comedic actors. And it's it's weird to sandsung because he he got so much. He did so much great work and was always very much active until kind of towards the end that I just I feel like he's always really underrated. I think people took Joe Flerty for granted.
Speaker 1: You know, out of the whole SETV crew, he seems to be the one that didn't hit as well as the rest of them. Martin Short and John Candy and then I'd say, Eugene Levy really has beens when the past ten years has gotten his respect.
Speaker 2: But yeah, I mean really again since American Pie and that just sent him into the stratosphere.
Speaker 1: It seemed like most of them on SETV, you know, except for Flarity blew up. And I don't know really what held him back or most of my friends who did not know SCTV like I knew it as a kid growing up in Detroit Channel nine. We got CBC and Detroit so we would get the sec TV reruns. I always loved him as Count Floyd and you know, Guy Cavaliero and all the other characters that he had on there, Sammy Maudlin. But the thing was, it's like most of my friends only knew him as the guy who heckels Happy Gilmore.
Speaker 3: You will not make this Putt Jackass.
Speaker 7: Oh weird, weird.
Speaker 12: They didn't even know him because he was on Freaks and Geeks one crazy summer.
Speaker 7: You mentioned that he's even followed that Bird, the Big Bird movie.
Speaker 12: I got exposed to him. Do you guys remember there being a cartoon on Oh God, what is that character? I must say that Martin Shirke find my blanking on that Thank you. There was an Ed Grimley cartoon from a Hot Minute in the eighties and I loved it. I was probably the only kid watching it. They had live bits where Flaherty would come into Count Floyd and I just was like, oh my god, it was just some athing edit and just from there it's always been just great love. Yeah.
Speaker 7: Him and Dave Thomas, I feel like Burke, but.
Speaker 12: Always steady work. Dave Thomas was on that Brett Butler Show and got a lot of TV work. Flerity got movies and TV.
Speaker 7: He's in Blue Monkey with Steve Railsbag, which is a lot fun.
Speaker 2: I think between those two that you mentioned, and then probably Andre and Martin, she definitely shows up in things, you know, Dwick and The Angry and My Big Factory Wedding. I keep seeing a clip on Instagram from a TV show she did called Evil, but like, yeah, she was hilarious as well, and just kind of like she's more behind the stuff, you know, like you don't see her as much, which is a little sad. I think for a whole generation of people, Joe Flaherty was just simply the Western Union guy that brings Marty the message at the end of Back to the Future.
Speaker 1: I mean, it was always just that line. Hey, Gilmore, you just.
Speaker 2: Going back to that documentary again. I wasn't sure at first when I saw Flarity on I think it was by that time it was the new Tom Green Show, because they were playing like they hated each other, at least that Flarerty hated Green. And I was like, is this real or is this not real? It was so uncomfortable.
Speaker 1: Those days must be Oh yeah, they were great. They're just great. Yes, it must have been nuts for you.
Speaker 8: Oh yeah, nuts, Dave Thomas, Yes, yes, sure, du Gene Levy, of course we're seeing all the time.
Speaker 3: That's right. What is your point?
Speaker 2: Are you saying I'm not doing well?
Speaker 7: What are you up to?
Speaker 12: These?
Speaker 1: I mean movies, big movies he tell us about.
Speaker 3: All right, how about Speed?
Speaker 1: I was in the movie, well, piano, piano.
Speaker 3: We didn't see you in that what anywhere?
Speaker 1: And I don't want to call you a liar? Wait, but don't go there at Green.
Speaker 3: This is my first you know, big show.
Speaker 13: Okay, I was cut out.
Speaker 1: Of the movie.
Speaker 7: Yeah, well, you're calling me a liar.
Speaker 1: I don't think that's a good idea. You're not very experienced.
Speaker 3: You're Green.
Speaker 1: It's so uncomfortable but fun to watch. You're like, oh God, because Joe Flaerity.
Speaker 12: Just seem like an interview is like the nicest, just totally just amiable guy. I have one of the DANCTV box sets and some of the commentaries with him, and particularly there's one with him and Eugene Levy and Joe. I can't like what it is Joe says, but Joe's totally makes some joke that's like a slightly off color and Eugene Levy gets uptightened, and Flarity just no selling the uptight as he's just reveling in it. I just love him so much, and I hate I love Tom Green, but I'm like, Tom, what the fuck did you do? Man?
Speaker 7: What did you do to make make it Joe Flarity mad? We'd love Joe bum.
Speaker 2: Since he shows up in this, I imagine it was all a bit. Does he show up in the deleted scenes at the end. I know for sure he's on some of this documentary stuff and he basically he works with Jim's dad or sorry, he works with Gordon's dad. And again this kind of like how did they give him all this money? Because you see some of these deleted scenes. And so I mentioned the boat that we saw Gord's dad on earlier, Well, that boat comes back when he hires the helicopter pilot. He takes his dad's boat, takes it to the construction site or the mill that's what it is, where Flaherty and hint rip Torn are working and drops the boat into this massive like shredder. Basically, so you get like how much did that cost? I'm sure it wasn't a real boat, but it was like how much did that cost to do that particular thing? And then you also get a little bit of the house for whatever reason that he brings to Pakistan, which I love, by the way, just that he chooses to take the house to Pakistan, just because of his dad saying, you know, you should, you'd be sewing soccer balls in Pakistan. It's like such a nice you know, poetic It's like poetry rhymes. You see the house explode, and I'm just like, you exploded a house, But yet you cut away from you cut from them running from the you know, like him laying there with tapioca pudding all over him, aka Elephant Come, and then Tom Green laying next to him. You cut from that to basically them running and then getting captured and stuff, and apparently there's a very brief bit where you see Tom Green with a gun and they're like playing this drinking game. I think there's gonna be a real deer Hunter recreation, which is funny because he does Deer Hunter in that or was going to, and I think they chopped that down. And then he was also we're talking about the music, he was also going to do a whole Apocalypse Now thing. You get to see that deleted scene of him as he's drawing, trying to come up with drawings, and it's the New York Doll song playing. That was supposed to be the end by the doors, but they were going to charge him like an insane amount of money, so he dropped the whole thing. But it was all shot of him, and you see the ceiling fan in the final film still, but that was him, and he gets like, he stands up and he starts doing kung fu, and he bashes the mirror that's in front of him and he you know, slices his hand open and all this. So there was a whole Apocalypse Now reference that was supposed to be in this and then I think that plays into when you first see him in the helicopter they play right at the Valkyrize.
Speaker 1: I'm just thinking about the fact that he would have picked up his dad's boat, because the whole point is like rip Torn's character is like he's finally out of the house, Thank fucking God. Like it's just he's got to get him out of the house. And so there's this battle of the wills between the two of them, and the idea that he would pick up the boat, which is probably would have been this priced thing. It's like, oh my boat, especially coming from Michigan where we have so much boat culture, it would just be like and then to destroy it like that, it is just one more fuck you to dad. Watching the Tom Green documentary, I get the feeling that him and his dad are pretty good with each other. But if you were to like give this to I don't know, some Freudian analysis guy, they would be like, who, this guy's got some serious dad issues. He wants to kill his dad. And then and then the fact that he would put the end in there obviously now reference, but with the reference in the end to father, I want to kill you and mother.
Speaker 7: I want.
Speaker 12: It's been a minute since I've still out last watched the Tom Green Show proper, but I remember both spirits seem like really nice people, which made it even more just like he would do he would house it for them and they come back and he had somebody paint like two women making love on top of their like like sedan.
Speaker 2: Yeah, oh yeah, it was the slopmobile. They do the whole slupmobile in the documentary. That was fucking hilarious. And yeah, I like Tom Green's dad has a cameo in this movie, but it's the animated version of him. He's the guy that refuses to give Jim Zebra Jim a job. That's the caricature of his dad. That documentary is just like did you think it was funny? He's like, I did think it was funny, but I couldn't admit it.
Speaker 1: I have a partner right now. She can't handle like cruelty humor, which is what I feel like some of this is related to. And I don't know if that is this particularly gen X thing. Is that just us? Is that like punk rock humor? Because I think like younger kids, like when I talk to people like, oh, that's cruel or that's cringey, or there's these attitudes around what's funny. And I know, like humor changes goes through. Nobody's laughing at Chaucer, even though Terry Jones tried to tell us that fucking Chaucer was hilarious. Nobody's laughing at him five hundred years now, But humor changes. But I was just wondering, and you, guys, do you feel that there's just something innate about I don't know if cruelty is right, but there's a certain sense of taking the piss out of people or something, and that's in here that I don't know.
Speaker 12: I never know which generational stuff because I don't really I have to met I don't really fully understand it, and I think a lot of it's marketing.
Speaker 7: I think we're bargaining bates that it really is like cultural.
Speaker 12: But I'm also like, I don't even know which generation I'm a part of, because I'm like a cusp. I'm kind of like I'm millennial technically, but I'm just on the tail end of gen X. I saw one, say, elderly millennial, which you can gladly suck my left one on that elderly my ass.
Speaker 7: I will say this, I am not and I've never been a fan. I'm sure there's exceptions.
Speaker 12: I'm the biggest fan of like tension comedy with like misunderstandings or stuff. Like anytime I'd see a trailer for say, what was the was it Meet the Parents? The one with de Niro, and still it made me ringe so hard, like I can't that kind of shit. Even when I was real little, I remember like anything with the Flintstones is like a lot of the Funstones was like misunderstandings, and it would just give me the hives I could not deal with. I mean, that's a kind of cruelty that's very real life based, and I like it. It makes me deeply, deeply uncomfortable. I feel like this kind of stuff and what Tom Green does is so bananas that it's not real. There's no reality kind of base to this. So I don't think if it was cool, but it's I don't know, what do you guys?
Speaker 2: The common Stiffler's beer always hit me wrong, you know, just like that's crossing a line kind of thing. Honestly, one of my least favorite things in the entire world was Three's Company just because every episode hinged upon a misunderstanding, and they were all misunderstandings that probably could have gotten explained away, And so much of it was just because of was it just good Rent? Why was Why did he have to stay with jan and Chrissy or whoever these women were?
Speaker 3: Was it just that?
Speaker 7: Was it wacky?
Speaker 11: Okay?
Speaker 7: All right, it's a Sims.
Speaker 2: The gay panic on that show was just so intense. Oh god, Okay.
Speaker 7: Also, what is mister Furley? Not mister Furley? Which one was? Norman Fell's character was see Roper?
Speaker 12: Mister Roper, mister Roper's problem with this beautiful Why she was always wanting to get some beautiful woman lovely captains?
Speaker 2: And you don't eat oh Bundy, I mean, peg is gorgeous?
Speaker 7: What the hell? Heeck is a goddess? Yes she is. They just don't eat he don't eat her cooking. But she is a goddess. I love.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I just have that line that goes through my head, and I think I've used it a couple of times from Fish called Wanda, where when Kevin Klein's auto is torturing Michael Palin, he's asking him the philosophy questions. He goes and which book didn'ts you claim that all higher art is based on cruelty, So I just think about that, in which you know, yeah, I'm like, all Shakespeare is cruelty. A lot of great painting and art and it's cruelty. I'm like, they're just we just seem to have this thing with cruelty. I don't necessarily consider this cruel because it's cartoonish, it's over the top. One thing I wanted to talk about in terms of like more recent Canadian Man on the Street humor that is morphed into a film, and how they handle this versus something else. And I don't know if you're familiar with this. Nirvana, the band of the show.
Speaker 7: I've seen the.
Speaker 2: Poster and I don't know. I've downloaded the movie. I haven't watched it yet.
Speaker 1: Those guys are from Toronto, and the whole concept is is they're like two guys who want to make it big. So it's got like this, As I explained the movie, it's like Bill and Ted meets back in the future, Like it has this kind of time travel piece, but they're like diluted and they want to be they want to play at the RIVALI, which is where the Kids in the Hall started. They did shows at the Rivalie Toronto. So anyway, their whole man on the street bit isn't so much like getting people to attack them or making them uncomfortable, which is what Green does. It's more like making themselves the butt of the joke. I'm diluted and this person thinks getting them to conspire with you to do something. And so I just found it interesting in terms of how not all sort of man on the street bits, which I think Green's humor also connects to something like I really loved I don't know if you guys ever saw Wonder shows and they send the kids out and ask inappropriate questions of people, Like that's all about making people uncomfortable and getting their reaction to inappropriateness. And I felt that the guys who do Nirvana the band, the show the movie was more about like how how can I bring you into my world kind of thing as opposed to this uncomfortableness in that way. So it's just interesting.
Speaker 12: The whole Beat Kids, the Beat Reporter, and it's like kids on the Street, Kids on the Beat, Beat Kids. There's these little cartoons with the title Beat Kids, like that Wonder ships.
Speaker 7: One was great.
Speaker 1: Oh, especially like they send them to Wall Street and it's like, how many people did you exploit today? And it's like a little eight year old girl asking some Wall Street chatteries like a lot a lot of people. Yeah, I did, I did really well.
Speaker 7: There's like a little redheaded boy.
Speaker 12: I was like, God, if I had ever spawned, this would have been my child. And then a little suit and he goes up to a pig head and he's like.
Speaker 7: How are you doing today, officer. I literally thought in terms of I think of cruelty with art.
Speaker 12: I always tend to think more like ore tow that I do like comedy, but that's a really now.
Speaker 7: I mean, there's a cruelty in comedy.
Speaker 12: I always just think of cruelty and comedy as being like, yeah, I don't want to watch my meet the Fokkers or whatever.
Speaker 7: I don't know, I'm good. I don't want to see that.
Speaker 12: I want to see just oh, it's wacky misunderstandings and it's just hate it and it's just seeing people deeply.
Speaker 7: It makes me deeply uncomfortable. Seeing people that uncomfortable.
Speaker 12: I don't think it's funny, but it's also yeah, I'm having to see you like, why wou don't want to see DeNiro do this?
Speaker 7: I'll just I'll just remember when he was in Good Boe.
Speaker 2: If you want uncomfortableness and you want to Nero, it's King of comedy. You know, that's where you can stop right there, or maybe Midnight Run, you know. I mean, because God, Charles Groden, I could see asking Grodin as Gordon's dead would be an interesting choice. Obviously totally different vibe coming to it, but just that disappointed because Croden could do disappointed so well. But yeah, to get back to mister Torn, I mean just yeah. The mania that he approaches this role with is just oh. And that's the only thing I really regret about not having more of these deleted scenes is to have more of rip Torn, because he steals the movie.
Speaker 7: Oh Metock and Barrel.
Speaker 12: When he starts kicking at Arlan Williams leg cat, It's is like such a maniac and I, oh my god, ripped Torn. And I love the beauty of rip Torn because he could be unhinged and be your heart's breaking unhinged like Got like Coming Apart, which is such a brilliant movie, like that movie.
Speaker 7: And he can do like these serious dramas.
Speaker 12: He could do got Man who Fill to Earth And there's a great scene where he's yelling in that he's naked.
Speaker 7: It's fantastic.
Speaker 12: But then he can do like these unhinged comedies and which kind of what he became more known for in his later stage of his life.
Speaker 2: Fuck Naked is that his character's name.
Speaker 1: I'm just thinking about how you say that, like in a lot of movies, he has a tendency to yell, and I'm wondering if he was the archetype for John Goodman and the Coen Brothers movies, who.
Speaker 7: Oh my god, have they never used to rip torn, ripped whatever? At the Cohens come on? He would have a burt.
Speaker 2: I think we would be a little remissed. And I talk about some of the reaction to this movie. First, I want to just start talking about the poster because it's a very interesting I mean, Heather, you were talking about the marketing and just how bad the trailer was for this, and there's a lot of trailers out there, but yes, they are pretty much all bad. This whole poster thing where it's just green on the poster in front of what would you say, like one hundred little pictures all from this movie. And then you've got him front and center and he's doing the whole like it's not really the framing thing with the hands, but it's as close as you're going to get from Tom Green. And that's the movie poster. It's not a scene from the movie. It's not a representation of Freddy getting fingered, which I was kind of disappointed about. It's just Green front and center and just making himself. You know, obviously the studio knows what they're doing. They're just like, yeah, no, we're gonna put this guy on here. All blame will go to him. But no, really, like he was the draw for so many people. And also, you know we're talking about you know, I pulled himself up by his bootstraps and everything. He fucking directed this movie. It's not like, you know, he hired Tom Shadik or some of these other guys to be like, yoh, no, come on in and direct this. No, he directed this movie, and so then he puts this, unfortunately, this big fucking target on his head, and so many people went after this. I mean, Robbie mentioned the I think it was Ebert and roper By that time, I think Cisco. I don't know if he was passed away or if he just was sick at the time, but just like all these people just smelled blood in the water, and people piled onto this movie more than like snow White, the musical remake live action version from last year. I think it was or like any of these other disasters, this one. I mean, I kind of watch this because it was reported to be such a car crash, and I was frankly a little disappointed because I was like, yeah, it was actually kind of good, you know, but it's it's not my style of humor. But it was nowhere near as bad as the people had reported. And just how disgusting this movie was. It's like, yeah, Okay, like I said, I don't really care to see you close up of a horse cock. Maybe it's just me, Maybe I'm uptight, Maybe I'm the wrong generation for that, you know, maybe a lot of people love horsecock on screen. But but they went after this poor guy so hard, and he really didn't deserve it.
Speaker 12: No, no, And that cover is a charcious. It looks like a mountain dew ad. It looks like it could be an ad for like an Xbox System. It doesn't look like a movie poster at all. What they should have done is there's an artist in Kirk Demris who does all these great where it like paint it like all like seventy style paint, like family portraits, but it's like Jack and Wendy Torret's and they were the Golden Girls, like the very He's such a cool artist. And if they did, like a family, sell portrait of that with the family, do something irreverent because this movie's.
Speaker 7: A reverent like it should have been promoted like that, like what it was, what it really is now.
Speaker 12: This won a bunch of Razzies, and I read that Tom Green was the second filmmaker to show up in person, the first being Paul Verhoven for I can't live like the Razzies.
Speaker 7: Okay, why do you show girls? This is a good movie. We've talked about it on the show, which is great.
Speaker 2: Your famous line.
Speaker 12: Of Yosemite Sam with titty but she does act like that and might defense she completely x like Yosemite stamp with titties and like throwing up the French fries in the air.
Speaker 1: Girl.
Speaker 7: They're kids starving and.
Speaker 12: You're just like Willly nearly throwing taters whatever versas, but top grade apparently, and this is I love him for this. Apparely played a harmonic solo and he would stop playing, and they like he had to pull up off stage like he did like some Mike Patt and shit like this only was a Mike Patt and Andy Coffin level antics And I am.
Speaker 7: So for it because stuff like that.
Speaker 12: This movie, I'm saying, eber seeing the worst movie of this year, I highly doubt that this was the worst movie of.
Speaker 7: Two thousand and one. It's not for everybody, but sheesus.
Speaker 12: If something's for everybody, then it's going to be something that nobody remembers because it's gonna be so bland and so neutered and diluted.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the movie studio didn't know what the fuck to do with this, but people were talking about it and it became really big on DVD once it came out.
Speaker 7: That's right, and that's how it got the cult, and I love that.
Speaker 12: That's always sort of like I think a thread with a lot of especially newer cult movies, is this Nobody knew what to do with them originally, but they find this new life on physical media and gosh, think about shock treatment.
Speaker 7: God, you would talk about terrible trailers. The US trailer for that film horrible.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna go back and I'm gonna pull up what the best picture was, and I'm gonna ask you, would you rather watch that or would you rather watch this? Are you ready a beautiful mind?
Speaker 7: Oh?
Speaker 6: Good lord?
Speaker 2: I cannot stand that movie.
Speaker 12: This is why I hate stuff like the Oscars. I'm not a fan of that shit in general, because there's a certain type of film. There's especially where it's like Oscar. It's just good to get to Oscar. Oh, the critics are good to love it, and it's it's not good. How many great, genuinely great movies and artists never get mentioned. And I know it's subjective, that's fair, but still, I once said, the guy yell at me because I made a this is serious, by way, This is some comedy because it happened for real. A guy yell at me because I made fun of the Starland Was it Starlight Vocal band? Starland vocal band that did after Julight? I'm serious, Eddie said, oh you. He called me the ladist and said they want to grier me, and it is who fuck cares who wanted Grammy?
Speaker 7: You how many great artists haven't won a Grammy? Does Janis Joplin when she was alive? Won a Grammy? Has band Hawk when won a Grammy? Does Ornett? Ornette Coleman? Grammy? Fuck off?
Speaker 3: Come on?
Speaker 12: All of that is horseshit, the Grammys, Oscars, all of it. It's just people. Just it's a circle jerk of ego and pretension. Beautiful Mind, and that's another movie. I know, I thought, I remember. It just made me think of like indigestion. It just really didn't do much for me. I'm just like mildly bloated, like except without the fun of eating horrible food. That is, yes, I had it inshurrito. I should not have eaten that, but it tasted good.
Speaker 7: I'm bloated.
Speaker 12: I didn't get that with a Beautiful Mind. I just got the bloating and a really rustle curls. An actor who can do really great work. I've seen him and stuff where I really enjoyed him. That was not the flavor of the Maybe if they would be like let's show Let's Star a history film where we show this character from being the complete flight fucking hot mess he is and give us some honesty.
Speaker 7: It's the truth. Do a Cassavetti's baby. Then we got art, then we got action.
Speaker 12: Yeah, it's ridiculous, and Tom Green definitely didn't deserve I think that's often the case with a lot of these films that get maligned, is being.
Speaker 7: Like, oh, this is the worst, the worst film. Didn't marry, didn't American Beauty? What a bunch of shit?
Speaker 3: Too.
Speaker 2: Well, it's basically it was Oscar Bait fight Club because it's all about Russell Crowe and his imaginary friend and.
Speaker 1: A lot of math. It's all I remember. All I remember is that image. It's it's like the the meme of the lady looking around with the math around her, you know, like that's all I remember is just the math comes on the screen. But the point that I'm trying to make is I've seen that once. I have no desire to go out of my way to see that again. This movie I saw once on Criterion streaming. I told you, I go, we should do this on the show. I have now watched it three times and I will likely watch it again at least one more time before I'm probably in the ground. Congratulations, Tom Green, you have won.
Speaker 12: I own a physical copy of Right Your Finger, so it made enough an impressure on me to where it is part of the collection.
Speaker 2: I mean, I read two college thesis about Freddy Gottfinger. That was the reading for this, because I didn't want to go out and just have bad review after bad review. I mean, of course the AO Scott review is out there, which he seemed to really like this and did kind of predict like, hey, people are going to be talking about this in twenty five years and bloila, here we are. I'm reading these college thesies being like, yeah, this is an anti comedy and like take a look at this, and you know, and like defining you know what a comedian comedy, which was a weird term for me, a comedian comedy is all about, and you know, tying it back like you did Rob to Buster Keaton and just like how is Keaton and his movies and his whole sad sack persona versus Tom Green with you know, we've got that scene of him in slow motion as he's walking through the rain to go back into the Chief Sandwich Shop. You know, it's like just like his attempt at the super sad moment in the movie you know, like, Okay, Betty's you know, Betty's mad at him, and his dad's mad at him, and you know, his brother's mad at him, and he's got to suck it up and go back into the chief shop and just admit defeat, you know, and it's like that's the worst thing is working at this cheese shop or cheese sandwich shop. It was pretty great. So I have grown to appreciate this movie more by talking about it, more by reading about it. And I still am not a big Tom Green fan. I don't think I'll seek out his work necessarily, but if he did help pave the way for things like Jackass and some of these other anti comedy things that we've talked about like Wonder Shows and liked him and Eric, like who's the guy that you always see him shooting someone? Yes, like with all of those comedians. I mean, because I didn't tell my Jackass story, which was I never watched Jackass when it was on TV. But then when the first Jackass movie came out, my friend Diane was just like, you have to see this movie. It's fantastic, and we went to see it at a Dallas show. I couldn't stop laughing. It was so fucking funny. And I've seen all of the Jackass movies subsequent plus when they bring out like the version two point five or three point five or any of those things, I'm right there watching it. I want to see more of this stuff. I want to see Steve O snorting Wasabi. I want to see Wemen getting smacked by a giant hand. You know, these are great characters that these people are playing or real life versions. I mean, I'm pulling for Johnny Knoxville every single time I see him on TV.
Speaker 12: Same god you think about Knoxville. I loved him in a Dirty Shame.
Speaker 2: He was really good in the one with Arnold Schwarzenegger, and I think who else wasn't that? But yeah, whatever that Ernold schwart the Last Stand, I think it was called, He's fantastic in that.
Speaker 7: I love Jackass. I love all those guys.
Speaker 12: I've even to the point though, over like when we actually saw three D we did a date night, which being in a room full of teenagers who somehow teenage boys that conned their girlfriend who apparently did not know I don't know how. It's the third one at that point where they like the choir of eh, oh, maybe it was one of also my horrified a lady a Sephora.
Speaker 7: She was like, oh, you cat, you come on a date.
Speaker 12: That's wonderful where one movie and I was like, oh, Jackass right in and she's like, oh.
Speaker 1: It's interesting. Earlier this week, a chance to go see John Waters in person. I've seen him before, but it got me to think because I was recording this with you guys, we were just talking about Jackass. Here is when I first started the same with the same with me, Michael. I did not see Jackass when I was on TV. I only watched the movie and then got into all of them and I absolutely love them too. And there was a moment where I'm like, what is it, like why Like I love these like art films and foreign film and all of this stuff, and for some reason, like why do I why do I gravitate towards this too? And there was part of me that goes, That's why I love Waters and Waters is much the same way ooh four hour, Horrible, Miserable, awful, Norwegians. Everything is terrible film. Yes, and then show me something like she should have said no, or russ Meyer or something. Give me this range. I need this range. I always just a joke. People would ask me about this show when I was co hosting it all the time with you, and I said, it's great. We do everything from the art house to the outhouse. It's great. I love it because it is those that are in the middle. It's those a beautiful mind and stuff like that. It's like those will just be forgotten. People don't care about those. It's always the fringe ends. It's always the most it's the extremity that seems to be the stuff that has values. So let that be a lessed to you kids. If you're creative, create things that are on the edges, so that way, twenty five years after you make it, people still sit around talk about it.
Speaker 2: All right, We're going to take another break and play a preview for next week's show right after these brief messches.
Speaker 13: And then I still know Leeds As to the identity of the freaky folk hero remains at large, sir, what did you see last night?
Speaker 1: Her gunshots saw blood and the Sola had his arm tore off like wet bread, and the creature run off into them.
Speaker 3: Nine she was like a hot dog. Was very shocking.
Speaker 1: Can we put that.
Speaker 12: Out anyone that may have encountered the strange breaking news.
Speaker 1: A group of armed extremists.
Speaker 13: Nasty lads.
Speaker 5: They've taken hostages at a mismeat lunchet for hum Downtown.
Speaker 1: Let's go live.
Speaker 3: Who the fuck are you? The Toxic Avenger?
Speaker 12: That's what the kids are calling him.
Speaker 1: I think it's so well, that's right.
Speaker 2: We'll be back next week with a look at the Toxic Avenger twenty twenty three. Until then, I want to thank my co host Robin Heather. So, Rob, what's the latest with you?
Speaker 1: I have finished my second novel since I moved to the High Desert. I send it to you guys. Hopefully someone will give me some notes and if you don't like it, then I'll just feel stupid and I won't go any further with it. I'm just kidding. So I'm just working on the writing and enjoying my life.
Speaker 2: You're stupid, You're stupid, you failed, you failed? Well, how does that make you feel?
Speaker 1: Pretty good? Actually, because as we were discussing, it's failures that people will talk about years from now, so that will be nice. Maybe my failures will be my retirement plan, because I sure as hell don't have any money in the bank right now. Anyway, moving right along. Things are enjoying my life and I hope y'all are doing well too.
Speaker 2: And Heather, what's new with you?
Speaker 12: Just wrap up being a guest on The Director's Club podcast hosted by Jim LECOWSKEI with Mike White. We talked about Horda Rowski, one of my absolute our heroes. Yeah, where you talking about Santa Song great and Holy Mountain that is up live so you can find that. I was also recently on an episode of In Film We Trust talking about Russ Meyer Supervixen's for all other Sundrys. I've always got something cooking and I'm actually currently working on a little thing for the youtubes right now. But you can go to my link tree linktree dot com forward slash Mondo Heather. You'll find my articles, my websites, my Patreon, whatch website, singular how don't know why make the plural wish we'll thinking, and all sort of other matters. But yes, linktree dot com for a slash Mondo Heather.
Speaker 2: Thanks again, folks for being on the show. Thanks to everybody for listening. Do you want to support physical media and get great movies in the head over to scarecrow dot com and try. Scarecrow Video is incredible rent by mail service, the largest publicly accessible collection.
Speaker 1: In the world.
Speaker 2: You'll find films. They are entirely unavailable elsewhere. Get what you want, when you want it, without the scrolling, and yes they have Freddy Got Fingered. If you want to hear more of me shooting off my mouth, check out some of the other shows that I work on. They are all available at Weirdingwaymedia dot com. Thanks especially to our Patreon community. If you want to join the community, visit patreon dot com. Slash projection booth. Every donation we get help some projection booth.
Speaker 1: Take over the world.
Speaker 3: On your lips. Pabama's on your lips and if you don't like it, you can suck my disk.
Speaker 5: I used to trip like Superman, go downtown, run around bike a asshole, fucking a man, a man on the sweet.
Speaker 3: He was sixty years old. He wanted to fight, so he punched me in the notes because I asked him wherever he's going? He said, nothing, your business, snap my mic in two. I said, what is this? My Bama's on your lips.
Speaker 5: Babama's on your lips hard to day you lose an EMPTV four cass to make people break out suckers to yell damn, madamn, talk about it in my favorite rap.
Speaker 3: I used to wake up my parents. Then Bam stole it.
Speaker 5: People dip it in the bag of tricks now they don't be surprised if Johnny starts to wrap bottle you with his style in a Von Dutch hat. My purpose on your tips, bapomas on your lips.
Speaker 3: And you, if you get lucky, you could suck my dish. Let me write my bamas on your tips, papomas on your lips, and if you don't like it, you could suck my dis.
Speaker 5: I used to fall down punches seeing what would happen, swam in the oceana sharks.
Speaker 3: Now I'm laughing.
Speaker 5: Execute your tips to gravitate to the PiZZ and if you don't like it, then you shot like Jim.
Speaker 3: Don't pay attention to your back, smile and shake.
Speaker 5: You can try to do something clever, goodness safe, like you were aerobics with a bunch of old ladies and wear pink.
Speaker 3: Tis like it is the Nie Dad. He's okay, not so clever. Look it for a laugh.
Speaker 5: But got stuck in handcuffs a couple of times in the past to open up bank account.
Speaker 3: And now it's I guess the critics and the media could save the pot. My pama's on your lips. Bapama's on your lips.
Speaker 5: I used to act tony and talk a lot of shit, and then I'm to Hollywood and got conservative. I didn't want to piss anyone off in the bitess the media could do.
Speaker 3: You up like a machine. But meles wobble around it. Don't fall down to what I mean. I used to have cancer. I just beat it. You want to try to take me out, you'll be defeated.
Speaker 5: I like to do things that have never been done, so if but kind of strange. That's the reason. My bamas on your lips. Papama's on your lips, And if you don't like it, I think they'll take a ship. Papamas on your lips, Babama's on your.
Speaker 3: Lips, and then if you don't like it, you could sup my dip.
Speaker 5: I went to Japan, told a monkey and my pan kicked up subway. But Charlie chan a pocket full of chicken feed for the chickens. Sat in my hotel read some shop chickens.
Speaker 3: Then I'll be back to the USA.
Speaker 5: I had a quickie rubber shamp with the boss to celebrate a took a ship into toilet, then I took the drink.
Speaker 3: Then I stopped worrying in about what you think. I put my face on the TV acting like a jackass.
Speaker 5: You couldn't brustle you bring a back draft. I'm glad you followed in my steps with that actress not on me.
Speaker 3: Then you're bikey. But now no one knows is wacky is my MoMA's on your lips.
Speaker 5: Paboma's on your lips, and if you don't like it, I think you'll take a ship the promise on your lips. Pa Boma's on your lips, and if you don't like it, you can suck my shop.