Speaker 1: Welcome back to Beyond the Polls.
Speaker 2: This week, I explore the world of modern polling and it's international dimensions with British pollster James Kennegasaurium.
Speaker 3: Let's dive in.
Speaker 2: Well, what a night that was. It was in one way, it is the passing of an era in Texas. And I don't just mean the end of John Cornan's long political career and tenure in the Senate. I mean the passing of an era in the Republican Party. We've been going through it for a while, We've been seeing it ever since Donald Trump's storming through the Republican primaries in twenty sixteen. But the utter stomping of John Cornan in Texas last night, I think in retrospect we'll be looked at as perhaps the moment when what's been clear for a long time has become crystal clear to all who will be willing to see it, and that is that even a competent, non scandal free, generally conservative but not maga conservative, meaning that he's got a disposition or she's got a disposition that is more in tune with the pre Trump Party than the current Trump Party simply cannot win a contested election. If there is a strong MAGA candidate, regardless of the personal weaknesses of that candidate, there's no other way to explain what happened. Ken Paxton has clearly been somebody who has been followed by accusations of scandal financial His wife is going through a divorce with him and has alleged says that she's doing the divorce on biblical grounds, which everyone interprets as significant adultery. And yet this guy plowed through an incumbent senator by nearly thirty points. He won every county but two. John Cornyan won Kennedy County, which cast only eight votes, and he won the state capitol Travis County, which includes Austin, by a narrow margin. Every other two hundred and fifty two counties voted for Ken Paxson. And you take a look at that, and you add it up with what happened in Louisiana, where you had a similar breakdown, which is that incumbent Senator Bill Cassidy only carried some upper income areas and the county where he got his start, and you take a look at it with other races over the last couple of years, or anyone who has the whiff of establishment about them. And I mean that not just in terms of what they say they'll do, but the way in which they carry themselves. The idea that they may say they're a fighter, but they don't have the demeanor of an MMF fighter. That person loses, and it's not usually not close, it's just not close. I think we will look back on last night as the end of the consolidation of Trumpism as the defining ethos of the modern Republican primary electorate. What that means going forward is in part dependent on what type of trump Ism emerges, and it's not part of this rant to go into that in any detail, because I'm not sure what I think about it yet. But I think it's pretty clear that if you want to have a future in today's Republican Party, you have to be some variation of Mega and that can be a religiously tinged variation, that can be an unhinged variation, that can be a nationalist variation. There's lots of variations, and certainly we see examples of all different types of people trying to latch onto Trump and the philosophical phenomena that he has unleashed, and you can see people taking different aspects, kind of like that old saying, you know the blind man. There's a bunch of blind men go around an elephant, and somebody feels a tale and says, oh, it's a snake, and somebody feels the foot and says, oh, it's this, when in fact it's all parts of a hole. Most people are still only doing parts of this. I think the Vice President and the Secretary of State are two people who are doing holes of it, which is one reason why they are there and one reason why they are viewed as potential national candidates. But how the old Guard reacts to this will be very telling. The old Guard here in Washington, d C. Continues to be in denial. They continue to as I like to say, I think that Trump is the dream season of Dallas. Where after Bobby leaves the show, and I'm dating myself with this, we go through a year where the Ewing family doesn't have Bobby. In the next morning, Bobby's back in the shower and they explain away and that's because the actor couldn't find the jobs that he wanted, so he came back to the hit show and it was all explained as his wife's dream. No the last decade has not been the dream season of the Republican Party. The old guard is not going to come back. This is a new party, and I think March, not March, May twenty six, two thousand and twenty six, is going to be the day when the old Republican Party is finally decisively buried as a dominant force within it and becomes has to deal with the fact that is now a significant minority force within that party coalition. The other thing I wanted to talk about is not looking back at the past, but looking at the future, and that is next week we have six count of six primaries, and I want to quickly go over the states and which races I'll be looking at in them. We have California, Iowa, New Jersey, Montana, South Dakota, and New Mexico. I don't really think there's a I'm not looking at any primaries in New Mexico, but I'm looking at ones in each of the other five states. The first few I want to talk about her in California, and California's unique system means you're looking for something different here, which is to say, it's an all party primary and the top two regardless of party go on. So part of what you're seeing is a gamesmanship between either two people in one party to see who will face get through the top two to face the person in the other party, or attempts to game the system so that you get the final to match up that you want with respect to finding somebody who is weaker or somebody who you fear more.
Speaker 1: In that race.
Speaker 2: California governor, it's pretty clear that the Republican Steve Hilton will go through. It looks like the other Republican, Chad Bianco, who had a shot to make one two, he's consistently pulling in fourth place. Now, I wouldn't put it past the possibility that there'll be a surprise eyes and the Democrats worst fear of two Republicans getting through in one of the most democratic states in the country will occur. But it's increasingly looking like the battle is going to between progressive billionaire Tom Steyer and a former h former cabinet secretary for Biden Chavy or Bishera. Stire, of course, is much likelier to be drawing from the upper income, progressive white community. Bishera likely to draw from the lower to middle income Hispanic community, which means we should expect Spire to do much better in the Bay Area and Bishera to do much better in his native Los Angeles. Central Valley has elements of both, depending on which county here. And that's the race that I'm looking at for governor who finishes second to Steve Hilton, because the odds are that that person becomes the next governor given how democratic the state is, then I'm taking a look at a few other things. California one is going to be a Democratic seat, but there's a strong Republican running. There's a lot of Republicans in the race, and it's highly likely that he will one of the top two who will be the Democrat who faces them. And here we have an ideological contest between I think it's Aubrey Denny and State Senator McGuire. Denny is a DSA Our Revolution endorsed candidate. McGuire is the establishment straight through. This includes some establishment friendly areas. Of course, as a state senator, McGuire represents a large part of this district. State senate districts in California are larger. They're in congressional district. But we know that ideological candidates can break through, and there are strong ideological components of the district, you know, for example around Mendocino or in Humboldt County County, around Humboldt State. It'll be very interesting to see from the Democratic partisan standpoint, who wins the ideologue or the lawmaker. In California seven, we have long time incumbent Doris Matsui who's being challenged from the left by a woman named Vang and a Republican. Now this is a seat where it's not entirely pop sure that a Republican is going to get through. So what Matt Suey wants to do and is try and boost the Republican a little bit so that Vang finishes third and then it's her versus a Republican. Of course, what Vang wants to do is make sure she finishes second, so then the Republicans don't have a choice and perhaps she can just take out the incumbent and a Democrat On Democrat five, I'll be very interested to see the strength of a generation change left wing challenge to a long term establishment Democrat. California eleven is a Speaker Pelosi's old seat, and this is again a seat where no Republican is going to make the runoff here. I think Donald Trump got under ten percent of the vote or just around ten percent of the vote here. So this is which two Democrats are going to face one another. State Senator Scott Wiener is a person who leads in the polls, and then you have the question is is it going to be a more establishment friendly person person polosees endorsed, or is it going to be AOC's former chief of staff chach Rabarti. That's the race I'm going to see, because again, it'll be very interested to see when you have a clear person who is going to make it through. Is the progressive ideologue strength in San Francisco sufficiently strong enough and sufficiently coalesced around Chakra Party that he can get twenty five to thirty percent, because that's probably what he needs to guarantee or have a good shot at getting through. And it's the polls that do exist, which are very few, suggests it's a toss up there. California twenty two is two for Democrats to see who's going to take on one of the most vulnerable Republicans in the House. David Valdeo has won the various versions of the seat despite heavy odds for many years. There's a lot of popularity. And here we have another establishment versus progressive. Viegis who is endorsed by AOC and Bernie and our Revolution versus Baines. Be very interested in this highly Hispanic district, and Baines is a state assembly person. It'll be very interested in this district to see who gets through against Valaday. Obviously Republicans would probably prefer the more extreme person. But it's again yet another test in a very progressive state as to the strength that the progressive left within the Democratic Party primary. It is reversed in California forty. This is a vote sinc for Republicans, and we have two Republican incumbents, Ken Calvert and Young Kim who are facing off to see who will have the right to get the Democrat because there is enough Democratic strength that a Democrat will probably get a third of the voter. So there and then the question is which a Republican is going to get through. They've spent millions of dollars attacking each other. Listeners of this podcast heard some of those ads a few weeks ago as they both were trying to compete for basically the same constituency. Kim represents more of this area has represented more of this area in the past. That's often a good sign as to who wins member on member fights. But we shall see. That's the other one I'm looking at. And then the last one I'm looking at is California four. This is a seat that Democrats are trying to pick up. Darryl Isa the Republican was drawn into the seat that leans Democrat but is not a safe Democratic seat in a normal year. There's a strong Republican candidate super San Diego Supervisor Jim Desmond, and there is a four way clown car race to take him on, and it's totally unclear who is going to do it, but one of the leading candidates is a person camp Nihar, who is a perennial candidate, has failed in races before, but has the advantage of being the boyfriend of nearby Congresswoman Sarah Jacobs, and she has the advantage of being the heiress of a billionaire fortune. We shall see whether or not the fortune, the connections, and so forth gets him the fifteen or twenty percent. He probably needs to face Desmond and hence become perhaps the favorite in this Democratic leaning seat. Now let's jump to Iowa. The only race I'm looking at there is who's going to be the Democratic senatorial nominee. And this is another one Walls versus Turek, where you have a little bit of a progressive versus establishment matchup, Walls being more progressive, Torek being a little bit more establishment. New Jersey seven, we have a four way Democratic race to space Representative Thomas Kane. This is another seat that Democrats have in their targets. It is one that, given the demographics and the closeness of it, is a prime likelihood to flip. And that is compounded by the fact that kin has been absent from Congress for the last couple of months for an unspecified and undisclosed health issue. I have no feel who is coming through. There's no obvious ideological break between the four candidates, all of whom have raised and spent over a million dollars. But there's no runoff in New Jersey and this is going to be an interesting race. Not so in New Jersey twelve. By not so, what I mean is there is a clear issue here, and that is whether or not Adam Homaway, a progressive squad endorsed Bernie Sanders endorse person is going to win the thirteen way Yes, thirteen way Democratic primary for a safe Democratic seat made open by the retirement of Bonnie Watson Coleman. Obviously, this is one particularly given the candidate's views on Israel, where the Jewish community in the Democratic Party would like to see anything but a Hamaway victory. I'll be very interested to see whether or not Hamaway can negotiate a thirteen way primary to get a plurality triumph. Then we go to Montana. Both parties have open multi candidate races to succeed retiring Representative Ryan Zinke in Montana one. This is one of those seats that should be won by a Republican, but it is the more democratic of the two seats. It includes mining communities and universities in the state capital places, so it has a much stronger Democratic base. And this is one that in a wave or quasi wave here which this may be shaping up to be, Democrats would be looking at. It'll be very interested to see what the matchup is there. And then finally, in South Dakota, we have a four way Republican race to succeed Christino. The appointment the lieutenant governor who stepped up is not dominating the race, but neither is state Representative Dusty Johnson, who is leaving his seat in order to run for governor. The winner needs thirty five percent in order to avoid a runoff. The most recent public poll has none of the candidates breaking that. This may very well be the first time that South Dakota's runoff provision is triggered in a statewide race. So those are twelve races that I'm looking at. But let's return to Texas, and let's return to the historic moment that befell us. When a high ranking Republican who has had a successful career, winning statewide, who has been set by no scandal, loses by nearly thirty points. That's not an accident, and that's not unimportant. This remarks a sea change in the Republican Party, and we will continue to see that sea change work its way through the party system, both the remainder of this year and going into twenty twenty eight. Well, in a podcast called Beyond the Polls, I do spend a lot of time on polling, because while we want to go beyond that, it's often the most accessible and sometimes the deepest information that is readily accessible to everybody.
Speaker 1: And tonight I have.
Speaker 2: One of the more interesting posters in the entire world here, and that is James Kannagasurium, the chief research officer of Britain's Focal Data. But he's not just a British poster. We'll get into that. James, welcome to be on the Polls.
Speaker 3: Thank you, Henry, delight to be here.
Speaker 2: Well, you know, one of the things that's attracted me to your work is the wide depth of questions, why breadth of questions that you do, the sort of deep stuff, and I want to get in that, But I want to start a little bit with what's it like to be upholster these days in the world where random samples are impossible to come by.
Speaker 3: Let's start easy, shall I?
Speaker 1: So oh yeah, well let's be on the pole.
Speaker 2: So we're going to get into the high level calculus behind those things soon. So prepare your regression analysis and Greek letter.
Speaker 3: If I take a kind of if I go up kind of a thousand feet in the air and I think about why, how has polling evolved? I think we've basically moved in a direction where the underlying samples that we obtain from people have become harder to obtain, which I think is the premise of your question exactly, And therefore what you do with the data we all have to work harder in order to get a result. So the modeling that is undertaken has become more intensive and more technical in order to basically compensate for difficulties around samples. But I'll take a couple of couple of steps back. So obviously polling as a US construct, it is, it is downstream of It is an American invention, very very clearly in terms of its history, whether that's from straw polls or the history of gallop and you know, even from the failure of readers digest and how that was taken, and the whole concept of what is a representative sample. We've obviously shifted as an industry away from you know, taking people's views from magazines and going onto landlines and sells cell phones and obtaining it that way. And then we had the advent obviously of internet polling in and around kind of the early kind of two thousands as it were, really where that kind of took off. But the theme that kind of unites everything. The common thread through it is that basically, as our attention and our time has contracted because of the number of distractions that exist now in the world, people's propensity and people's type to take poles has collapsed. Pham poles have moved.
Speaker 4: From a environment where maybe one in three adults would say, of course, I'll take a poll, I'll you know, I'll give you my views, to a world where it's far below zero point five percent.
Speaker 3: In terms of so one in every two hundred adults if we rang them, we're sent to taking a survey.
Speaker 2: And the word, of course, one of the things is that when it's down to one or two hundred, it's no longer a random assessment of who will take that.
Speaker 3: So I think that's right, and the hope I think with internet polling, which is the idea that people can sent to taking surveys for polsters on online platforms, online communities, was the idea that you could then in some way compensate for that. But the reality is that today to achieve a representative sample, and so what posters obviously mean by that is it is the group of people I'm looking at by state, by nation, by subregion, representative on things like age and gender, race, ethnicity, education, but also more complicated demographics, and then the interaction between all of those that becomes difficult. And I think what you're getting at is that even in the advent of international and internet polling from firms like the Yugov and Morning consult and all these other firms that now operate on an Internet basis, is that even then it's very challenging. And why, And it's not necessarily about the demographics, because the act of being willing to take a poll has embedded and nested within it behavioral and political and belief kind of differences basically to do with that correlate very sharply to things like social trusts and the idea that you trust the pollster, and that correlates to things like trusting government and trusting institutions. And that becomes a problem because those precise things are in fact then related to if you're a political polster, voting intention. So the very method by which you are seeking to reach people then becomes problematic because you're putting through a filter that is not demographic, but is non demographic, but fundamentally changes beyond just individual level markers of someone how they might vote. And I think that's why as a polster, particularly in the US context, we live in what's called a mixed method mode to your very geeky listeners, where polsters then will say, okay, I need to take multiple approaches. I might need to find sample from internet panels, I might need to use cell phones. I might need to use what's called texter Web, so you know, you'll send a survey on your phone and then it follows a link and it gets more and more complicated, and the art and because it is a bit of both drawing together representative samples on a demographic basis, but also non demographic features, so making sure that people aren't too interested in politics? Who are booking your survey? Right? Who think about? Who are the types of people to respond to the invitation? It's usually it's usually the opinionated, it's usually the very interested in politics. It's normally the higher trust. And I think, particularly in a US context, this is really the architecture in which sits repeated polling failures and misses the US cycle, usually in one direction, which is to fail to capture enough Republicans in voting intention, particularly for federal elections, where turnout is higher and we have occasional voters, So it's a challenge everywhere. Your question is what is it like as opolster. Well, because people are honest, and I hope mostly my colleagues across different firms and internationally are quite transparent about those problems where people just don't want to take surveys. There is then a need to adjust those surveys with quite intensive data computation. I'm chief research officer. My job is to interpret pulse. I'm not the person that goes on and creates these complicated models. I may have built some very basic stuff ten to fifteen years ago, but what happens now is of a totally different order of magnitude. Henry and we can kind of get into it, But now polsters will They might impute, for example, someone's propensity to turn out based off a regression model, which means that we have to work out whether someone really is likely to turn out based on validated information and then create models. Or it might be that it is so hard to get the interaction of all these different variables, so it's not enough to have the right number of people by ethnicity that's correct and matches. For example, the voter file, it might not be enough. Then it matches by having the correct composition in a state and having the right numbers of people by congressional districts or county or precinct. It then gets into what is the interaction between the two. And that's critical because what we've seen across the developed world is very complex voter flows, with people swapping who they're going to vote for between elections in a way that is very complex that it becomes doubly hard if you can't get those interactions correct. And once you've done all of that, Henry, you still have to ask the right question. And the way I think about it is that when you're polling a race or a federal, national, or sub regional election, you'd have thought that asking what we call the horse race polling, which is candidate X versus candidate Y for party X and Party Y. You'd have thought simply asking the exact question is the right way to go about it. But what I have found, both from our work at Focal Data but also other colleagues, is that really polling operates on much more of a traffic light system, which is about signals, which is saying my horse race polling might say that this candidate is four points ahead of this candidate, But when I look into the issue set, in other words, which candidate is doing better on issues like healthcare or immigration or the cost of living and how salient are those issues, I might get a slightly different signal, and that's as important all I have. Might, for example, ask my survey respondents, who do you think is going to win in your seat? Because sometimes if I haven't captured exactly white people, I still might be able to get a better community based prediction, and I would necessarily for voting intention, or I might ask whole heap of other questions. And generally what pulsters will do and it's not a defensive or kind of an obtuse way of answering the question, but many of them will operate, whether it's conscious or not. A traffic light system, which is on balance, the traffic lights suggests in full green that this candidate is going to win with some caveats and amber you know, amber lights on these types of questions and these types of analyses. And that is the job of the polster, which is the constant trade off between signal and conviction, and that can be very hard, but it is very enjoyable. And I guess the other aspect of it is that you then might turn your head to the other half of the field of market research, which is qualitative work, which is then listening to people's conversations. Whether that's why are focus groups or as is now happening across the world actually AI moderated interviews with real people, which means that you can do kind of focus groups in scale, and that again might give you a different signal. And we have seen in many elections where the qualitative data and the conversations. You know, not to quote Jeff Bezos, but you know when he says, when I'm got the anecdotes and the data, I go with the anecdotes. That's not quite how we operate. But it is a totally different and fairly independent signal of polling data. So in the round, Henry, it's exciting, it's interesting. It's far more interesting understanding the why than what, because any given poster will call elections incorrectly. The most important thing is that that there's transparency and clarity over why you were wrong or right. Actually, you can be right for the wrong reasons, so that you can then go and adjust, but it's also about providing confidence bands and caveats so that people understand exactly what's being articulated. But that's had in an Internet age, in an age of headlines, in an age of the need to be one hundred percent convinced of a particular thing. That's a hard thing to articulate today. So it is a real mixture of listening, of probing, of asking none obvious things, of data extraction, data modeling, and then storytelling because the why is not that important leading up to the election, but the why is absolutely critical for the years after, because there are many circumstances in which election outcomes are not particularly kind of described or interpreted correctly.
Speaker 2: Basically, that happens here. I know it's happened in Britain. I do want to ask a couple of questions. Polling failure isn't just an American thing?
Speaker 3: You know?
Speaker 2: Is that you had the Brexit large polling fail You had virtually everybody predicted the Labor victory correctly but massively inflated vote shares for Labor. Both of those instances created, of course, significant introspection in the British polling industry, and you have a much more collective British polling council that encourages that. You know, us being in the wild West, we don't have an American polling council that kind of gets all the leading bolsters together and says, hey, how did we collectively all screw up? Everyone says they have the secret sauce and tries to sell it. What do you think British pollsters learned from twenty sixteen and why did the things they learned from twenty sixteen not lead to They led to the correct directional outcome, but not the magnitude outcome in twenty twenty four because that of course relates to method of how one's sample or questioning or taking signals in some way messed up in pretty big ways.
Speaker 3: So yeah, I mean UK polling absolutely has is very transparent endeavor, but there have been a number of misses and a number of successes, and I kind of i'll talk through talk through that that kind of history. The twenty sixteen referendum was actually preceded by the twenty fifteen polling miss There was we had a general election, right so where David Cameron, the Conservative leader, want a clear majority against the Labor Party and the polls had a very small conservative leader or actually a tie, and I think he ended up winning by seven points, which in the first part the post system is definitely and there was actually a polling inquiry then in twenty fifteen, which was that it was a it was a data issue as opposed to a modeling issue. People. You know, it sounds very tautological, which is that people's underlying samples because we had to send them in and there was a convening, and people's underlying samples did not have enough what we call time poor center right voters as opposed to populace right voters, which then is a problem that comes is a problem that appears the next year in twenty sixteen. Is actually it was less of appollingness because there were posters who got it fundamentally correct. You go was the UK firm that actually very quietly unveiled what's called MRP.
Speaker 1: Which I do want to get to m RPS.
Speaker 3: Right, which we're going to get to MRPs later and we don't need to talk for it now, but you know, it's a technique that fundamentally allows it's called multi level reggression and post gratification. As modeling technique where you can bine national sample to get to local level estimates. Basically, it's an American technique. It was created by Andrew Gelman, who's a professor of political science at Columbia. Again another US innovation, but that very quietly got the election and the referendum in twenty sixteen correct and even the range correct. But of course you have also released a traditional poll at the referendum which was not correct, and there that was very much a case of a little bit of a case of data input, but actually there was also a case of maybe there's a future here of modeling technique that needs to be looked at, and that was very much verified at the then twenty seventeen general election. Man, your listeners at this stage may have forgotten that we basically held general elections and referendums as annual events for a period of British political history. And again the polls kind of failed and that was again an issue of time because but you got it.
Speaker 1: MRP did not. That's where the MRP made it did not fail.
Speaker 3: It captured very accurately a resurgent populace left Labor Party led by Jeremy Corbyn, and they very specifically didn't just call a national picture, but they forecast the six hundred and thirty two seats across Great Britain in our Parliament, including some very surprising changes, including my home seat of Canterbury, which had been a kind of traditional Conservative vote with you know, has a cathedral city flipped labor and.
Speaker 1: Field one. Sorry that one was exactly that's right.
Speaker 3: Who now sits? I think is an independent MP? But she she she won that. And again the different problem that came about was of late swing, where the twenty seventeen election genuinely had huge vote shift changes during the election cycle and the campaign, and I was polling it very very closely, and Jeremy Corbyn put on double digits in vote share. If you think you think about the last time that might have happened in a US context, it's quite rare for that to happen. But Yugov's model was able to kind of adjust for that and from a time period perspective, so we really all as an industry there was a sigh of relief of the twenty nineteen get Brexit done. Boris Johnson's not landslide but very comfortable, large majority victory where the Conservative Party I think got three hundred and sixty five seats, having declined previously in twenty seventeen, and everyone was directionally correct. Everyone forecast that there was going to be a Conservative minority, but underneath the surface, actually the scale of the Conservative victory was slightly underpredicted and wasn't wasn't that fully understood or known. So and so we get to the twenty twenty four election, which is I think what your question was at, which was by far and away the kind of biggest failure of the UK polling industry, hidden by the fact that everyone was directionally correct. There was such a large difference between the fortunes of the Conservative Party, which was back then hemorrhaging votes to reform UK, which went from kind of low double digits to fourteen percent. You know, the gap at a seat level was very very clear. So it was very clear from about a year a year and a half that the Labor Party were going to win a majority. But again in terms of vote shares, the industry was five or six points out, which was much bigger polling failure than any of the previous elections referendums that I've just described, and it was specifically the Labor Party vote where which was overscored by literally everyone bar a few. And we can get into the very specifics because there were a few holding companies that have slightly different approaches that got it right. But interestingly, Henry, the models were broadly okay. So the models told the story that Labour were going to win between four hundred four point fifty seats they won towards the lower end and around four point fifteen that somehow the vote shares were totally out And that's because in many, many safe labor areas, the vote share shifted dramatically down and they won many many seats on a hugely marginal vote share, which is the story of how British politics has continued to be volatile, which is the ability to win quite big mandates on very small slices of public opinion. You know, we talk about we might get into the president's low approval ratings, but I was looking at it. He's still liked by thirty seven percent of the American public. Most European leaders would be very happy with thirty seven percent of the public. Now, some of that as a function of a two party system, but it is it is structurally, very very different. So that's the story of UK polling. But again there's been some fantastic work that's gone on in the industry around the modeling, which I think more people are feeling comfortable with. There are challenges around our rapidly diversifying society, so much of the pollingness was concentrated in ethnically diverse areas and non white voters. We now have a multi party system in the UK, which is a very obvious point and not I think the feature of this discussion. But we have a Green Party, we have a populist right party called Reform, We have independents who vote very much in certain areas along ethnic blocks based on foreign policy. We then have a Liberal Democrat party, and then we have two nationalist party parties. Now this creates a massively complex picture in which to get it right. The bar is very very high. Most countries with a system that is that complex with that many parties five effected parties, but in many areas seven means most countries that have that many number of parties have a proportional system, like Germany, which you know doesn't have overhang seats anymore, but it's still proportional. Beyond the threshold. So that's a unique challenge, which means we all have to work very very hard. But each country presents very very different challenges. They're not the same in terms of the difficulties in getting data, and the modeling is never the same either, even if the kind of toolkit can have some resonance between different countries.
Speaker 2: Well, that actually got to is going to get to my next question, which is you do polling in another country, but let's focus on the United States because you have started to do polled. I featured your mrp of America's poll and my Washington Post column and some people said, I'll bet you money that that's not going to be right because it's too good for Republicans. We can come back to that in a minute. But what are the methodological challenges that you that are different here than you face, say in your native country of Great Britain or are they pretty much very similar? Is that you have similar non response rates and similar technological barriers with different types of voters getting through them. How do you approach an American pole that might be a little bit different than approaching a British pole.
Speaker 3: It's a great question, and so the demand for polling in the US, and the structure of the system is very different. It depends on what you're pulling. So let's say you did a congressional districts poll or for example, a county level poll or a state pole. The expectation is that you don't model those out comes. You actually do a survey of people who literally live in those areas, and that means that you approach it very differently. It means that you have to find sample from wherever you can, whether that's online, whether it's by cell, whether that's texta web. You know, the demand for modeled answers by state is much less because people just say, well, you can just do a pole of Texas of a thousand people, which is what we did last week, instead of modeling what the state would hypothetically do. If the demographics of Texas and the demographics of the country look like X, then you kind of impute what Texas should look like, which is what a model does. People just say, we'll just run a pole, just ask people what it is. So there is that challenge in the US where there is just a broad expectation and if you're going to make a horse race call or do a pole of an area. It is a pole and not a model. Now that's interesting because what we found at the twenty twenty four cycle is that our modeling of how states would vote was in many ways more stable and more accurate than literally doing a pole of the state, which is you know, I think we talked about it at the time a couple of years ago, and as we did the MRP's multi level regression and post ratification. You know, these big computationally intensive models that split the public into millions of groups, and you take a national survey that then basically works out what demographics were, which way in which area all interacted with each other, and then you basically work out what's happening at a national level, and you impute what's happening at a state level. Those seem to be more stable and more accurate than going in and doing a state pole. That's one challenge in the US. The second is obviously the resources are different. You guys have a voter file right where you can literally see who's on there. We have very different laws in the UK regarding GDPR. We don't have things like a voter file that polsters and can use, and the laws were even stricter in Europe as well, so the challenges are very different in terms of who doesn't want to take polls. There are similarities, Henry, there are. We do see groups of people who are low trust. By that I mean less trusting of institutions, less trusting upholsters, less willing to take surveys. They do appear to be groups that are harder to survey, particularly across the English speaking world. I wouldn't necessarily say Europe, for example, French polls don't underestimate Bardella all A Penn. We saw no evidence of that at the Assembly elections, but that does appear to be a particularly acute problem in the English speaking world, I think where and again, I would also say that some of the failures at a twenty to twenty four election, which were captured correctly by another British friend called Jail Partners, run by James Johnson, a colleague of mine who's actually America based for British.
Speaker 1: At the whole, was on this podcast two years ago to talk about.
Speaker 3: A great guy, and I think, you know, they very accurately captured how what was going on amongst the low trust non white vote across the seven Swing states which was absolutely critical if you at least that's the thesis of David Shaw, the polster who runs Blue Rose, a Democrat who's a bit different, you know. He was very much in the view that the seven swing states were very much delivered by this kind of low trust, ethnically diverse, slightly younger group of people who basically came out voted for Trump and then didn't bother voting down ballot, which slightly explains the number of split states at the election. Again, I don't think that's a million miles away from what happened with the overestimation of the labor vote in the UK election, So there are resonances. What I have to say is the reason why things have converged is partly because the US is no longer a low turnout democracy, and turnout in the UK has actually declined quite sharply over the last ten years. So we've gone from around seventy two percent turnout at the twenty seventeen election. I think it was about fifty nine to fifty eight percent at the last election, which I believe is actually lower than the last president the US presidential.
Speaker 2: It is, we we at about sixty two percent, and by that for my listeners. We're not talking about registered voters. We're talking about what we were called the voter eligible population, the citizens who are adults of voting age and not disqualified by things like legal inhibitions or insanity.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so there are there are, There are big residences, but the challenges are always slightly different. So I mean, that's why you need domain experts. That's why most of the uk as that operate in America and do forecasting America, we have teams of people here, some of whom are American. Right. You need that domain knowledge, that expertise, You need that kind of deep, deep level knowledge. Really.
Speaker 2: But you know, one of the things I do want to talk about is, you know, when I'm listening to this, I'm thinking, gee, this sounds a lot like wine making. Is that the grapes are the same, but the terr are and then the skill of the wine maker produces you know, the difference between a ten dollars bottle of cable wine and a five hundred dollars bottle of petrus. But I got the race largely right because I dove into what I do is I look at when I make my biennial predictions, which you know, I owe it to my readers or followers to you know, make the hard call. Instead of saying it's too hard, it's too close to call, I said, now, this is what I think.
Speaker 1: I'm usually directionally right. Once I was very very wrong.
Speaker 2: But I looked at all the average and what struck me the reason why they thought Kamala Harris would narrowly win and I thought Trump would win and might win the popular vote was because they systematically underestimated the share of Republicans in the elector, which is a way you could have teased out of the aggregate cross tab data. Exactly the methodological problem. But there was also, I think for some people a modeling question, which was there was one firm, which we can discuss offline. I don't want to name it here. They produced a very detailed Friday before the election, Here's how every state is going to vote, and they got every swing state wrong, because every swing with nationally and through every swing state, they over projected the Democratic vote. And that's clearly a modeling question, is that their model of how they were interpreting the data was simply wrong. Do we run that risk if we look at individual polsters that the Winemaker maybe getting too much yeast in the must too early, and that if we're not looking at averages or doing multi polling analysis, we're just looking at one person that garbage in, garbage out. If your model is wrong, even if it's been right before, you will be horribly off in an important race.
Speaker 3: I know the difficulty there is. Of course, you have off cycle midterms as well, which have a totally different, totally different elector. You know a lot of the story.
Speaker 2: And one of the things we're seeing is people saying, well, Democrats are more educated, therefore they'll have a larger overturnout share of the election. And presumably that assumption, which has been born out historically, may be correct.
Speaker 1: But it may not be.
Speaker 2: And we have the Virginia redistricting referendum where that should have been the case, and in fact Republicans out voted Democrats, and it was the lower educated Republican areas that had a higher share of the twenty twenty four presidential vote turnout for this April off cycle only theoretical redistrict thing initiative, which if I were Polster, I would say, warning, warning, Will Robinson, danger, You know that my assumption of education driving turnout and low motivated Trump only voters may not be right.
Speaker 3: And I think the wine maker analogy is a short one, maybe also because of the stretched the metaphor, Henry, all the way through. Vintages are different, like firms are not static things like you can have different teams working at different times. You might be missing that one analyst who looks at things from a completely different perspective. You might have got a model that was carefully calibrated to one election that the electric fundamentally changes at the next. You might not feel the need to reinvent from first principles what you've done because you've been successful. It's often my failure. I'm very interested in firms, you know, and sometimes including when I and other firms I've been involved with have got it wrong. Often I'm very interested in their first call after the event, because very often it could be right, because they basically have to go back to the drawing board and redo it. And for a pole watchers yourself, I don't know of anyone who knows as much as international polling as you, Henry Enough spoken to a few people about this, but you know that that creates challenges for observer.
Speaker 2: I mean not everyone runs German language crosstabs through a Google translation I understand.
Speaker 3: Which I know you do. But that creates problems because people who were good before can suddenly get it wrong, and people who got it totally wrong before, who no one's paying attention to get it fundamentally completely correct and have completely and that creates a kind of a kind of problem of continuity of trust. And that's very important action to take a step back and to use I guess the traffic light analogy, even if you're pole watching, to be like, here are the signals, and I'm going to get them from everywhere and everything. And that's why really delving into the corners of an industry yields a lot of games, because there might be a new model or a new approach that is very very interesting that might be part of the future.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 3: MRP was announced with no fanfare, got a huge referendum correct, and basically no one paid attention for about a year until they had been validated again. So from my perspective, it is very much.
Speaker 2: Validated against the grain because I was following twenty seventeen and pretty much you had Yugov saying, hey, there's a really good chance. May it's not going to win her majority, even if she wins the popular vote by X number of points, because of these demographics that are moving, that have effect in your six hundred and thirty two non northern Irish seats, And kind of like the reaction up until election day, as far as I could tell from the British public, not necessarily the private calls on the pollsters was yeah, yeah, yeah, okay, thanks, and then of course you proved to be right inward. Yeah yeah yeah, isn't this great? And then now everybody does MRPs it seems before your election, some of them better than others.
Speaker 3: Some of them better than others. I mean, what I would say, Henry, I think in defense of the polling industry is that a lot of the experts like yourself who are making calls are doing so from an advantaged position, because a polster can only project what their own projection is. But you get to sit around taking ten firms worth of polling data and then look at the qualitative information, and then get on the ground and then have conversations and then in the round be able to take a very detailed look. So we've just had a series of local elections here in the UK, and it was very clear that the expert projections were better than the MLP. But my question goes, what do we think the experts were looking at, which was everyone's models inaggregate and working out where they convert to where they differed, and then using multiple methods and filling in the gaps and therefore be able to give a bird's eye view. So my view as ever is that this kind of analysis layer, this whole ecosystem that sits on top of poling, is only able to be as good as it is precisely because it sits on the bed of all these people making singular specific calls about elections, and so it kind of works both ways in my opinion. That's why we have people like yourself, because you get the privileged position very often. You know the posters will be briefing you in detail. You're the only person. No one else in the US or the UK would be able to extract all about information and have a bird's eye view of everything because I don't know what another firm is doing and what that firm is doing. But you're the lucky person at least, and so your listeners to be able to say, actually, well, Henry's seen this signal here, and he's seen this signal here, and he's read this bit of information here, and then he's visited here and now here's my kalates. So there is this. You know, a lot of the costs are born by the industry for others projections, and I think you know, you're very good at kind of acknowledging that. But I think that's really really important going forward.
Speaker 2: Well, let me ask you a penultimate question then, and that is what work are you going to be doing in the United States? I know you've just come over here. You mentioned the Texas Paul. Obviously I was privileged enough to release your mrp of the congressional races. What other work are you doing here or are looking at doing in the United States during the interim.
Speaker 3: Second, so, we have a media partnership, the Financial Times, and we're basically partnering with them to provide not just horse race polling, because that is not super interesting. You can go on polling aggregators and look at it, but slightly going in underneath the surface, you might say, beyond the polls, providing information on what are the top issues? Where have we moved, what they're basically getting in the why before the what you know. And in a US context, it's very clear to me that the current low presidential approval ratings have very much driven off pole ratings to do with the economy, because prior to the election, the statistical modeling showed that that was one of the greatest singular factors behind the president's victory, particularly in the swing states, and that is also one of the issues on which has moved the most away from the Republicans to the Democrats. And it's looking into those kind of issues and trying to really unpick the why before the what happens. So that's why we're interested in looking at the Senate races. And it's so there are so many, you know, was it thirty five races, thirty three plus the two specials that my count, we've got four Democrat defends that you know in New Hampshire, Minnesota, Georgia, Michigan. Two of those look hypermarginal, and then we've got six potential flips, all of but one look hyper margin. You know, North Carolina to me feels a bit more kind of Roy Cooper asked, But at least Senate Poland we've been looking at in it. Maine. Maine is a very hard state to poll. Whenever anyone asked me what are the hardest states to poll? I will always say, other than all of the swing states, Maine and Alaska. And you know, it's unfortunate that those two now are to the sixth.
Speaker 1: May I just jump in here.
Speaker 2: That is something that has been observed in the United States by American pulsters that in twenty twenty, literally every single public poll said that Susan Collins who's going to lose, and it wasn't going to be close, and she.
Speaker 3: Won seventeen points.
Speaker 1: They were seventeen points.
Speaker 2: I happen to be talking with the senator friend of mine beforehand, and he told me, Susan says, it's fine.
Speaker 1: So Susan's polster was getting it right. She was lined to her colleagues.
Speaker 2: Is another one that doesn't have quite that ignomious example of the twenty twenty error, but it too is known as a very difficult place to pull. And if I look at say, I think, what do the two states have in common. They have a significant white and non Alaska has a significant non white, non college but it has a very significant rural rocky terrain, people living in different places. Does that help contribute to a lack of trust that if you're in a fifty person town and you're connected to the world by you know, by a road and intermittent internet service, that that or is that just a spurious factor.
Speaker 3: I also think the partisanship is a bit weaker in those states like May and main In particular, the demographic trends of who votes Republican and who votes Democrat is actually very complex and very very different to the rest of the US, and that's slightly hidden by the county well. Actually the small level maps, you know, including the ones where you're showing counties with nobody living in there, they make it look like there's a clear geographic division, which might make you think, actually the coalitions are quite similar to the rest of the US. They're not at all, which makes it really hard. If you're opposed, you like, I'm going to get three hundred Democrats and three hundred Publicans, and it's like, well, which Democrats and which Republicans. But if they're very very complex, My instinct on Alaska is that's also the same as well. I do think if you think about it, one of the things I've noticed as an outsider, because of course there are Americans with deep expertise who actually do really get it right all the time, is that many of the states that aren't quite right on ones that where there is still some degree of split ticket voting, and also where the ideological part of zian Ship preferences are incredibly complicated, where the singular definition is not quite there. So I was very interested, for example, that polsters didn't really get Pennsylvania that wrong at the election versus you know, there was still a systemic bias towards Harris that shouldn't have been there. But for me that as a polster, you're looking through that data and you're thinking, well, you know, Pennsylvania feels like a state where as you said, I think you said it three regions melded into one, right, where you can have a stronger handle on Well, that's a Republican group of people, and they are very much Republican. And that's a Democrat people and they are very much Democrat. And that's a group of swing voters, and they are very much a swing And that maybe makes it slightly easier to poll than some of these other states which are a bit more nonconformist, a bit more complex and a bit hard. And I think maybe Iowa is one of those states that also falls into that. I guess if you look at the polling.
Speaker 2: Is another one that had a significant twenty twenty polling directional or margin error, you know, which is that there was a lot of polls suggesting Joany Ernst might be in trouble. In the twenty eighteen there were poles suggesting Democrats might win, and of course Republicans won and both those races a very comfortable.
Speaker 3: Very important. It's a state that Republicans win, can win by double digits, sometimes by single digits, but then it does have a predilection to various times at the gubernatorial level go the other way. If you look at the kind of senate Senate polling, which I know it's still Republicans are still favored to take Iowa. We look at the kind of governorship polling, I think that's rob Sam so standing there. Again, it's complex, you know. It's many of these states that we think of as not complex that are in fact much more complex than everyone realizes. And I think also the degree to which Utah went from megaskeptic to not It was also an underrated phenomena because how much polling expertise is there of the Mormon community and the shifting sands around there. So, I, you know, polsters, I guess to round it off, our people who love typically they're quite a patriotic lot. You don't want to stare at your own country and analyze it to death for multiple decades if you really care and you're interested in it. But also you're you're basically a deployed anthropologist, right You're looking for the stories, the data, the modeling to line up. Very often it doesn't, and you have to make a judgment call. But for me, you know, that's kind of what we'll be looking at, Henry. We're interested in the why, but we're also interested in the what because of how wide the landscape is in terms of both the Senate. You know, I would say the House of Representative has far fewer marginal seats.
Speaker 1: Thank you, Jerry, Yeah, thank you.
Speaker 3: But but I think you know, we were speaking about hungry and you very carefully handled our poll that we handed to suggesting the kind of strong victory for Magyar. The funny thing about redistricting and jerry mandering is it works until it doesn't, and it works within certain bounds, and the bounds that it works in are ones of basically temperate swing where maybe Republicans R plus seven, D plus seven, whatever it is, whatever the electric looks like in any given year. But where it really breaks down is when you have an election outcome that where one party is leading the other by double digits, because then you've created a cardret of districts or seats that would never have been marginal normally, but now suddenly they all are. So it can actually exacerbate a landslide the wrong way, depending on who's doing it in a special environment.
Speaker 2: One of the reasons why Tissa Magyor's party has a constitutional super majority is because they won the native Hungarian vote by fifteen to seventeen points, and that hand and effect across a wide variety of seats that had they won by only twelve points, so they would not have picked.
Speaker 3: Up's And that's the thing. So I'm interested to see that there's a story that's going to emerge at some point in the next two decades where that kind of pack of cards all comes down. But again, that a big difference. You know, the UK, we have the Boundary Commission. This is all done in an almost census like fashion, in an incredibly equal way basically, so again another difference to get a hold of. But every country is different. You know, we are a UK based firm, but some of these techniques are very applicable, whether that's France, whether that's Germany. But the key thing is to be very clear about what your projection is and why, and explain what you've done so that if it's if it's wrong, you have some sense of whites, and if it's right, instead of saying we're right, you're able to point to why you might have been right so that others can learn.
Speaker 2: One last question, looking at America in twenty twenty four, you talked about the why you know, which is you know, issue salience, issue viewpoints and other things, and the what, the partisan outcome or the job approval. Do you think you will see movement in the why before movement in the what? In other words, that let's say you take a poll in June and you start to see movements in saliens among issues, or you start to see, hey, I think the economy is getting better, and do you think that will predict a subsequent movement in like the job approval or the congressional generic ballot or is just another signal that you wait with all the others. In this qualitative art form that is modern polling slash political analysis.
Speaker 3: The why is very often it's correct a lot more times than the what. So the explanation of an event can often the polling that feeds into that can is often much more evergreen and robust than these specifics around the what, because of what can only it only has to be wrong by three points to be out, whereas the why is directional, and very often the why comes screaming out from the data, like the cost of living is hugely important in the Southern States, immigration control is incredibly important. Right, These are truths that have a massive order of magnitude that won't be wrong even with the polling error. But the shift in the why can be very predictive of outcomes. So, you know, should those numbers improve on the perception of the economy, you know, it's not just perception. Gas prices have a very strong corarel relationship to swing against the Republicans, So that's real data showing, like having real political consequences.
Speaker 2: So they did with Biden in the summer of twenty twenty two. Hence why he started getting licenses in Venezuela to ship and changing his stands on Saudi human rights to get more production and releasing this because he could see the same thing happening to him as guests broke five dollars a gallon in most of the country.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and I think so that's what we're tracking with the ft. That's what we're tracking here at Focal Data is are the explanations of what's happening makes sense? You know, We've seen the salience, for example, of the handling over the Iran situation become important out of nowhere. That's now a thing. We're now seeing that in fact, independence sit much closer to Democrat voters on that issue than versus a kind of the base of the Republican Party. To me, that's really important because I'm going to track the salience of that issue as much as we are. Who's doing well badly on it?
Speaker 2: Well, James, it's always fascinating chatting with you. I whish I could jump across the pond and continue this conversation, but all good things must come to an end, and so mucht are on air discussion.
Speaker 1: Where can my listeners follow your work?
Speaker 3: Three places. The first is focal Data dot com focl data dot com, where we have a blog with all of our work from not just myself but a team of twenty five researchers, some of which is very technical, some of which is not. The second is my substack, which is the Political Whiteboard, which is where the super super early stuff goes on big three four thousand word essays with modeling. And then I write occasionally four times a year for The London Times, where I set out at a much more high level some of my ideas that may or may not be interesting to your readers. The latest Times column London Times column is on the Democratic and its potential shift to the left of its base.
Speaker 2: I can recommend all of those personally, but for anyone who wants to get scared about the future of AI, I suggest you jump on Political Whiteboard and read what James had to say about that a few months ago. It will open your eyes. I'm not talking about dystopian terminator stype circumstances, but the political impacts that may be happening to the supposedly secure managerial class.
Speaker 1: Well read it and maybe weep.
Speaker 2: James, thank you and I look forward to having you back on Beyond the Polls.
Speaker 1: Thank you, Henry, pleasure to be here. That's it for this week.
Speaker 2: Next week I'll talk about redistricting, past, present, and future with Sean Trendy. Until then, let's reach for the stars together as we journey Beyond the Polls.