Speaker 1: We are back here on the XRP podcast and joining me, of course, is Stephen McClure coming in from Canary Capital. Today we're going to break down a lot on clarity what's going on in the ETFs. We also i'll talk a little bit about the thirty year yield. This is starting to shake things up. You guys want to stick around for that. And where will bitcoin and ethereum be over the summer?
Speaker 2: Are we going to see a big move?
Speaker 1: Before you get into it, I do want to thank our sponsor and this is a special offer for you guys. Okx is running an exclusive affiliate offer where you can earn up to five hundred dollars in XRP rewards just by hitting a few simple milestones. Step one, Tier one, you can complete the KYC you get ten dollars in XRP. If you go to step two, which is one hundred dollars on a deposit, you get another forty. Then you can bump that deposit and trade volume of just one thousand dollars and you grab an additional one hundred dollars in XRP. The best of all for the heavy hitters out there. If you deposit and trade ten grand, you can unlock a massive three hundred and fifty dollars XRP reward. This stacks onto all of this so boom, you get up to five hundred dollars max earning and it's paid directly out in XRP. So click the link down below. You guys are not want to go to miss this one. It is an awesome one. So Steven, welcome to the show.
Speaker 2: Hey, thanks for having me, Paul.
Speaker 1: So we got a lot to talk about. There's a few things that have been brewing, and I think one of the biggest issues that we are facing right now. I put out a tweet this morning. Actually I want to showcase this first because I think this is more more important is the fact that we saw a very big move happen right here, and it kind of I was surprised by this. So gold sackx liquidates there one hundred and fifty four million dollar XRP position, they pivot to hyper Liquids Treasury. But there was also a liquidation of Salona in this one as well. So when you is this normal for major institutions to do these kind of moves where they just literally go from one to another. Is this something you see all the time.
Speaker 3: Well yet, yes and no, it can be So I don't know which ETF that Goldman Sachs liquidated, you know, haven't looked at the data on where inflows possibly happened last week. It wasn't our ETF. We've had pretty pretty steady inflows for the last few weeks with no outflows, so that's been great. But the way that a lot of organizations work is they might seed an ETF, yeah, and then when a new ETF comes out, they pull the seed to move it over to the other one. Yeah, that's one possible explanation. I've been watching this with a couple of other ETFs that have been coming out, where it gets seeded and then two weeks later the seed gets and then it moves to the next one. Yeah, So it's not something that we do, but there are other ETF issues that will do this.
Speaker 2: But again case, but that's what theirs.
Speaker 1: Was a little different because it was distributed across several funds. You'll see here in the article. It was in Bitwise, Grayscale, Franklin, Templeton and twenty one Share so this was in their thirteen F filing. So that's happened but at the same time we're hearing rumors. And this is the thing that's a little unusual to me. I'll show you this one, and that is Citadel is reportedly investing another one point seven mil. That's not much, but it is putting money into an XRP ETF potentially. Why do you see one major moving out and another one start to dabble into this. Is this a commonality that we see in Wall Street?
Speaker 2: Now? Yeah?
Speaker 3: I mean, and again, each each group has different reasons why they're investing or or taking chips off the table. In the case of Goldman, my guess is it's probably again seed capital that they're moving to another product. Citadel isn't necessarily the same type of shop, and they're probably seeing a basis trade. Again, I don't know, I'm speculating here, Yeah, but Citadel might see a basis opportunity an XRP, which, by the way, we see a pretty good basis trade here as well. So it doesn't shock me that you know, they're using their prop desks to potentially trade basis.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so interesting move there. You can see right here Coitdas reported, xrp's ETF pulled in sixty million in net inflows last week, this was the strongest weekly performance for twenty twenty six, inflows to one point thirty nine billion overall. When you look at the accumulative inflows, where do you think this will be at the end of the year.
Speaker 3: That's that's a tough one because you know, you also have to look at the market. I believe that XRP could probably double in price by the end of the year. So from that it is today oh yeah, yeah, And that's that's definitely a factor. And the second factor is of course growing interest. You know, I do believe the summer is going to be a tough summer for equities and crypto across the board once we go into the midterm election season, and then after midterms, that's when I believe that you'll see a lot more influence coming in into the ETF. So I think in addition to the double in price, we also probably see a thirty percent increase in interest by the end of the year as well.
Speaker 1: So that being drawn in just because of what we are seeing in general, token is security RWAs moving on. This of course rises the interest of institutional maybe clarity, which we'll talk about in a second. Do you think all of that comes together as just a nice cocktail and that's driving interest. Well, what do you think it is or is there something completely more macro oriented here?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean a lot of my statement came because of macro okay, but but but also clarity is important too. One of the important features of the XRP Ledger is r w a's and stable coins, and clarity will certainly help promote that network. You know, if you're asking me who the top five chains are that are going to win in tokenization, the XRP Ledger is definitely in the top five top five.
Speaker 1: Who else would you put in there?
Speaker 3: Like? I like Suee a lot, Okay, I think that they're they're they're a great team, They're doing some really interesting things. I like in j I like SCI. I think I think all of those are are are are really good spots for tokenization. And then HBAR is kind of unique as well, where they won't they won't necessarily win in my opinion on the what what people traditionally think about tokenization, but more enterprise data, which you know, you can tokenize the data it's it's itself, and I.
Speaker 2: Think that's going to be a really interesting prospect.
Speaker 1: Well, and in in tokenized data, you're you're or I should say, in tokenize tokenization, I think we're going to see a lot of use cases that a lot of people just did not have the capacity to imagine what that innovation is going to affect in terms of where markets will go.
Speaker 3: So I would agree with you.
Speaker 1: I think there's a lot of interesting points. I'm still stuck on this point of you thinking that XRP doubles by year end. I mean, you're it's running at one thirty seven after two pre significant days or this morning.
Speaker 2: It's been down over.
Speaker 1: The last couple hours, but over the last couple of days it has been trending down, and that would be a big move to double from here up to two sixty. So that was after, of course, we saw you know, continued macro pressure both off the China trip from Trump, but also just in general not getting out of Iran, which I think is a big deal.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean that there are some big variables out there. Yeah, and Iran is a very big variable.
Speaker 1: So everything, the Clarity Act gets through the Senate fifteen to nine. The Committee, I shouldn't say the Senate gets through the Committee. The Banking Committee fifteen to nine, and it's getting ready to go into the Senate. Now if it goes in here shortly, A sixteen Z is over here saying, you know, listen, we think this thing is going to really create a whole new domestic boom for innovation and possibly affect the global markets, which I would agree with the genius that that does kind of set a little bit of a tone. What area do you think? Well, first of all, let's talk about your percentage now for passage in twenty twenty six. Where are you today?
Speaker 2: Probably closer to ninety percent, And I know that's your feeling.
Speaker 1: Oh wow, okay, yeah, so you're feeling very good about this. Clearly A sixteen disease is setting on a position where they think this is going to go through. I am still concerned that the ethics issue is going to stall this. You're not as much concerned about that.
Speaker 3: No, I mean, what's what's come, What's what's happened since the last time we spoke, and when I was the opposite side of that, you were on the other side. Yes, you've got two political parties right now that are death spertly trying to win Congress in any way that they can, and making crypto a dividing factor isn't.
Speaker 2: A great idea.
Speaker 3: So you know, the Republicans are really coming from a place of weakness. They're they're obviously going to have to vote for it, even if there's a few dissenters, right. And then the Democrats, you know, they want they want to win both houses so bad that they don't want it's used to be in their way, despite the fact that you have the bank lobbyists trying to trying to shut it down. But at the end of the day, it's the voters that matter, and you know.
Speaker 1: Anything to fact that, the fact that it made it through the committee. When you look at the Centate Banking Committee, that was a very strong mm hmm process that we went through for six months literally between the ABA, all the different regional bank uh you know little you know, lobbyist groups. Then what we've got with both coinbase and the major portion of the industry, with these major packs that are moving, you know, massive.
Speaker 3: Power in d C.
Speaker 1: Do you think that power has shifted in terms of how this dictates.
Speaker 3: No, I don't think necessarily the power has shifted, you know it, But certainly when when you're this close to a to an important midterm election. Yeah, you want to focus on the broad general public instead of the lobbyist. So it's less of a power thing. It's more of a hey, let's stay in power thing. But what I will say is a lot of the crypto industry people have changed their mind a little bit on what they're willing to take and what they're willing to accept, right exactly right, you know, And this is why, you know, my my ninety percent number kind of kind of aligns with the ninety percent of crypto companies that are saying, no, we just need to get something passed because we don't got to happen in the next two years, the next war years. And then you still have a couple of holdouts like Coinbase, who have almost killed the bill, and and now they're feeling the pressure from other people in the industry.
Speaker 1: Okay, so let's let's break that down a little bit. As far as yields, we have this kind of loophole in there right now. It is still ban on yields for passive but there are some ways in which it could be done that's a little bit more finagaled of how institutions or you know, companies could bring this to market. Do you think that will end up on the compromise table.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it certainly will be a compromised item. And that's probably the biggest compromise item. And and I've said this before to you, I'm I'm actually aligned with the banks on that particular issue because there's there's a KAY follow Yeah, and if you just have another player that doesn't have to follow it just because it's new tech, I mean that that that doesn't make any sense. And as a money manager who used to manage money market mutual funds and play by the rules and registered as a security and be licensed and you know, and and uh, you know and go and follow all the rules.
Speaker 2: You know, either you.
Speaker 3: Eliminate the rules for everybody, or you make the stable coins follow the same rules if they want to distribute guilt.
Speaker 2: I mean, that's my opinion.
Speaker 1: But at the same time, we're talking about issuers here. But if you're a distributor of this stable coin, or you're a wallet, or you're you know, you're in DeFi and you want to pay yield on something because you can go out and make it work and you know, generate a revenue system on this and be able to come back and pay yield or rewards, whatever you want to call it back to the participant. Would you agree with that.
Speaker 3: That that's a little bit more fuzzy. I mean, I'm kind of talking from the camp of Okay, if you're buying securities and putting them in a vehicle and then this stry beating the yield that comes from those securities, your security. Yeah, you're you're you're you're a rick, and they're you know, I think there's just because of the structure, they're trying to avoid that.
Speaker 2: Now, all you got to do is register it. It's not that hard. Registers a rick. Register's a forty a product.
Speaker 3: Interesting, you know, there's there's there's nothing stopping you from doing that, right. But but you're talking about okay, well, what if you take the token and then you you you place it for you know, for for for lending, then you know, look if it if it's DeFi lending, I don't think that that's a security.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, let's well let's talk about DeFi. So do you feel good that DeFi gets saved in this bill?
Speaker 2: I do, I really do? Now?
Speaker 3: No, Technically, though, if you're now if you're doing that on behalf of others and distributing that then the yield, Well, then you're an issuer. Yeah, you're an issuer.
Speaker 1: Sure man, this is such a well you know, in reality, I mean, these rules have been around for a long time, but there's those nuances that it creates questions that everybody I think is trying to answer here now. So you look at the situation right now at the CFTC and tell me if this is important. Let me share this tweet with everybody you've got. This is kind of this everybody in urgent mode right now because they're worried about the AG leaders urging President Trump to fill these banked CFTC seats, mainly because they feel that this is going to be an onslaught of governance that they have to do because of clarity possibly going through here. How important is and are the seats in the CFTC.
Speaker 2: I think it's extremely important.
Speaker 3: And Okay, you know, CFTC is actually historically done a lot for crypto. Even in the days when the SEC was fighting against it, the CFTC was a lot more favorable. So they've they've done a lot and they now have a lot more of a burden as mentioned here, looking at crypto as a commodity and monitoring it with with with other commodities. I think that the CFTC probably needs to be beefed up a little bit even to help prevent fraud and theft.
Speaker 2: So there's a lot, there's a lot.
Speaker 3: Here, and I do think these seats need to be filled pretty quickly, and that probably some funding needs to intrease, you know, increased for the CFTC. And and I hate saying, you know, extra funding for government, right, but I think in this case it's pretty important, and they probably are into funded.
Speaker 1: Well, and you are opening up a massive innovation lane now with if Clarity does go through it, you're ninety percent. That's an innovation lane that is very similar to the era of the Internet, where you're going to see that many new products and service is coming out. So now that they're financial services, having the CFTC involved, I could see that being a problem which could be a little bit sticky down the road, especially into the next presidential term. These could kind of backfire, some of these, So I'm concerned about that. Are you at all concerned about reversal of all this work that's done in this administration in the next administration, if in fact they were, I mean the Republicans were to lose a White House.
Speaker 3: Now, I think it's hard to put the cat back into the bag. We've were largely regulated by opinion from the SEC over the last few years, and now that opinion has changed. So if there were a situation and it was even taken a court, it's like, no, there was guidance given, they followed the guidance, and now you want to take that guidance, walk it back and pun It's very hard to walk that back. So I do believe that it's going to be very difficult. Now we won't see as much progress as we've had in the last two years, but we're at a pretty good spot.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I like to hear that from you, man, because I feel like you kind of know what's up there. Talk to me about this right here, I'm gonna share this. US thirty US thirty year treasuries now rose now as high as five point one percent one point six percent this morning. So this is the highest level in the run up since we saw the global financial crisis. So that's a little scary to me. What does this do to markets?
Speaker 2: Well, it's by the way, it's not entirely shocking.
Speaker 3: I remember in twenty sixteen I called the top of the bond market and left my bond manager job.
Speaker 2: To give it to crypto. So we're ten years.
Speaker 3: We're now ten years into a generational bear market and bonds and will probably last another twenty We are moving fairly quickly here. And if you look at tenure, which which a lot of things are priced to right around four sixty right now, I see a scenario where in the short run the tenure gets above five percent, okay, thirty year, probably above five and a half.
Speaker 2: So it creates a funding crutch for the US government.
Speaker 3: So government's going to have to probably either increase taxes or cut expenses. I'm for cutting expenses, but they're for raising.
Speaker 2: Taxes, yeah, no doubt.
Speaker 3: In addition to that, it probably will also track inflation, and I do expect inflation to continue to go higher, particularly with gasoline prices as high as they are. I think it's going to take a very long time for gasoline prices to come back down. But high gas high energy prices, whether it's from you know, world based or other energy, which is now fueling AI data Sanders we've got an energy crisis potentially in our hands across the board, and that energy crisis spills into the cost of goods of everything going up in price. So it's not a shocker at all that rates continue to go up and the curve continues to steep in.
Speaker 1: So you've got growth in tech stocks, which I think will get hit the hardest. Here, I want to take a minute, guys and just invite you to join the Barren Market Edge private member group. You guys can do that by just clicking the link down in our description. This is your insider's edge to the AI and crypto money revolution, which is what we really focus on here on PBN. This is additional research that I do along with our team, and we have a pretty significant team on our research around not only what guides our episodes, but a lot of that research gets built into more content than I drop here on the Barren Market Edge. We do market trends and sentiment analysis, which can be anything from tokens to all sorts of strategies.
Speaker 2: This, of course will also guide.
Speaker 1: You over to our Telegram group and we give this as elite community access. You get bonus content over there, including tax guides, as well as different kinds of asset guides out there that we drop all the time. This is your ten year vision in action. All you have to do, of course, is just hit that little subscribe button or join the community and get in on it. It's absolutely free. It doesn't cost you a thing, so check it out. Look at maybe even real estate and mortgage markets that freeze up a little bit. This seems a little bit more concerning to me in terms of at least how the market responds to this. You, I mean, because obviously that affects risk markets like crypto in a big way. What would come that's good out of this?
Speaker 3: Well, I mean, I guess the thing that's coming out of this is we now have a normalized curve again almost for the longest time it was inverted, which means that it makes it actually easier to understand risk and invest I say, it is normal again, and that's really the only good thing.
Speaker 2: Out of it.
Speaker 3: It is rising too quickly for the economy to support it, so interest rates where they're going, not necessarily even where they are now, but where they're going plus inflation will likely drive us into a recession twenty twenty seven.
Speaker 1: Doesn't this kind of go in opposition of what Scott Besson has been trying to do because this strength thans the US dollar, well, it's streamemaking US polar.
Speaker 2: But nobody can buy anything.
Speaker 3: I mean, you know, It's what's what's interesting is if you look at government, you know, they only hang out with their rich friends.
Speaker 2: Right, So ten percent of the country is doing just fine.
Speaker 1: They can't see it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, ninety percent of the countries where the real pain is. So imagine if you're friends of a retiree on a fixed income, how are you able to pay for things?
Speaker 2: Right now?
Speaker 1: Okay, all right, So I want to go back to the point you said, going into a recession. Potentially here would into a recession like this because we haven't seen a real recession in a while. What would be the assets that you think would be protected in such a recession.
Speaker 3: So right now, what I'm seeing is it's real estate, but it's selectoral estate. So if you look at I would say, any any homes, let's see single family homes that are under a million dollars that those are in a really bad space right now.
Speaker 2: People can't afford them, They can't afford the loans on them.
Speaker 3: But the million dollar and over or even probably more of like the three million dollar in over do.
Speaker 2: It's just fine.
Speaker 3: Again, ten percent of the country's doing great. They're invested in x stocks, they're buying up real state, and they're continuing to make money where the other ninety percent are so so select real estate is fine.
Speaker 2: Gold interesting.
Speaker 1: Well, there you go, real estate gold into a recession. So you guys need to think about that as we we move on to this because this treasury yield and the tenure is going to be another one to kind of keep an eye on it. What would what would flip this? What do you think could happen? What would cause this to move inverted?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean well, and and even just a situation where the where the curve continues to stay normal but just lower rates. Yeah, really, we would have to in the war in Iran, you would have to probably begin to pull out of you know, other areas as well, so you know, military spending super high and uh and then and then cut government programs, which you know, I think I think Trump tried it in the first three months with Elon and then and then gave up. But those those are really the only things that can I think can help.
Speaker 1: Here, reduce spending, get out of the wars. Possibly our exposure in Europe maybe that would be it. I mean they're kind of they're kind of throwing that out there in terms of a possibility. Yeah, beyond that, let's go over too, because this is something that is also moving quickly, and that's token is socks. You also look at the surge in ardb A real world assets. This is a big deal. I mean, we are seeing literally a transformational shift in our financial system right now. What chains do you think win this race?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean I'm still I'm still really big on x or p Ledger primarily for the financial chains. Sue is super interesting as well. You know, they're now so they just released the first you know, dollar based on the Sweet network, which I think is super interesting. And then also they're doing a lot of interesting things with the bitcoin network too, so I know that they're you know, they're exploring tokenizing hash rate for bitcoin mining companies as well as tokenizing bitcoin itself and a rap vehicle that moves along the Sweet network. These are really this is a really smart team. You know a lot of them came from Facebook when they were building Libra, and they've had all these ideas that they've been wanting to implement for a long time, and they finally have the chance to do it over at Miston Labs.
Speaker 2: So I'm just.
Speaker 3: I'm just super impressed by Sweet. It's what they're growing over there, and it's very technically feasible.
Speaker 1: I think some of the advancements they've made have have been good. I'm still a on the fence with Suite in the sense of does it have the distribution and the kind of network it needs to really kind of accelerate up because sometimes you could, and this has happened so many times in Silicon Valley, you can have one of the best products out there, but if you don't have distribution, then really you just don't have anything, you know, So that's always a concern on that. You look at eight, you look at XRP. I think those two are going to continue to be very and even Salata to a certain extent. So I don't know, I don't know, this is I'm on the fence with that one. Let's talk about Bitcoin though, and its current price. It plunged below seventy seven K. We saw eight XRP both slide these are I think they were around three percent in an overnight. So where do you put bitcoin this summer? Do you give me your low entry for Bitcoin for the summer?
Speaker 3: Yes, So, you know, we've had a bit of a rally in May, which is which has been fantastic, But I still believe the summer is going to be tough given uncertainty around midterms. So Bitcoin back down to sixty five isn't entirely shocking.
Speaker 2: To me, Okay, all right?
Speaker 3: And then and then rallying back up to you know, north of eighty, maybe even ninety by the end of the year also wouldn't be a big shock to me, but likely wouldn't happen until closer to midterms or after the midterms.
Speaker 1: Interesting, I've got a sixty seven k target right now with bitcoin. I'm not sure where that would put XRP or ethereum or even Solana, but that is the one I'm watching the most in terms of dictating how some of these assets are going to move, So you can kind of see where it's heading. But I agree with you, I think the summer is going to be a little bit more difficult for sure, and to your price prediction right here on XRP may explode now this guy is way out there compared to where you are. I wish, But wouldn't that be something that would be great for ETFs? People would be flying flying into ETFs if we saw that kind of price action. Let me ask you my last question here. When you have a market like this, a potential recession underway, high inflation. You know, these these yields at ridiculous rates right now, both of them, the ten and the thirty. What what happens for an investor to structure a strategy beyond that? So you're coming out of these bad things, right, and as we all know, wealth is made right at the cusp when everybody has lost hope and somebody is willing to risk, you know, knowing that, whether it's toward the end of recession or it's toward the end of an inflation cycle, what's the trigger that you think helps people go, oh, okay, this is it, this is the all end time.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Look, uh, I mean and right now, I mean I'm primarily in bond's right, so trading around you know.
Speaker 2: The short end.
Speaker 3: But it's going to be tough to see because again, there's there's there's there's a lot of variables and it's hard to predict how those variables are going to play out. You know, the the recent trip to China was a bit of a shocker to me as well. Yeah, you know that, you know, statements about Taiwan, the Iran war.
Speaker 2: I mean, these are.
Speaker 3: I would just say, these are extreme variables, and without knowing how they play out or what's going to happen, it's really hard to predict the macro markets. The things that we can look at though, is okay, what is what's the bond market going to do, what's you know, general stocks going to do, what's general crypto going to do? But I think some of these variables need to be removed before people and really start, you know, yeah, playing the markets again, so to speak.
Speaker 1: Well, you've got I'm showing the uh, the S, the sp X right here, we've seen this hit all time high. We continue to see up only but here over the last couple of days, a couple of red candles. But there are a lot of people that are still placing this above eight thousand for.
Speaker 2: The S and P.
Speaker 1: What do you what's your feeling on this?
Speaker 2: My feeling is I don't.
Speaker 3: Know that he's so ambivalent there, but it's it really is a wait and see. I don't know the type of situation you know. Do you do you want to be out of stocks entirely? No, But it is a it is a time precaution is it is a time to wait and see how other macro events play out. But I'm not betting the farm on the S and P right now.
Speaker 1: I'll tell you that there's gold going the sideways a little bit over the past few three weeks. I guess it's been trading up and down slightly. But if we do get into those more horrendous financial conditions, this may be a play for sure. I'm still what is your theory on token ized gold or do you are you more of a physical guy or do you like the idea of tokenized gold.
Speaker 3: I don't really care about token ice gold. I like physical gold. I even like gold ETFs. But like I mean, if golditfs are available, why do you need token ized gold? Sure, there's no market for it. So there's a massive market for gold ETFs, So you need to sell you've got liquidity for for token ized gold. Who's going to buy it when you need liquidity? It's just there's a great two way market at the moment.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's a little bit more more of an angle, even though I do think the dejons that are out there like to trade it, which isn't an obvious thing, especially if you look at the gold on that run up that we saw there. I mean, this was a fantastic run up on gold for you as seeing it coming in for back of August last year, almost a year into that cycle. Even though this cycle now does show a downward trend. But you think that could stop. Yeah, I mean, but here's the other thing too. Gold usually rallies ahead of inflation and ahead of recession. Okay, it usually starts losing steam once those two things to occur. Now that we're moving into a real inflationary environment, gold has lost steam. But if recession starts heating up, I expect to see gold heat up into the recession and there once profession hits, people shou sell off the gold because they need money. Well, there you go, Steve, it's always fun having you on the show. Thanks for these insights, because I think right now it is a very unusual market and I think everybody's waiting for this clarity to go through. I'm still concerned that that's probably gonna end up with a little market bump and then a retracement back into the macro reality, which is where I see it going. But thanks for coming into that.
Speaker 2: We appreciate it. Thank you so much, Paul.
Speaker 3: You bet all right.
Speaker 1: You guys know what to do.
Speaker 3: Make sure and like and subscribe.
Speaker 2: We'll catch you next
Speaker 1: Time right here on the x r PE pot check Care