Speaker 1: It's Night Side with Dan Ray on Constans Radio.
Speaker 2: Well, thank you very much. That's a shocker for a guy like that to go down with a leg injury, being crowded off the field. That's tough. He's a young guy. Thanks for that, Al and as that could be a very significant development on the season. Although the Red Sox do have some people down down below that can be called up here, so and they and they've got a couple of their more utility type players. Certainly Romey Gonzalez can can play first base as well, so we'll follow that story. So we're continuing with our sports theme tonight. Again just for those of you who normally expect us to talk about things all political and current events and all of that. No, we'd like to take a little bit of a breather. On Friday Night last Hour, we spent that hour talking about Bill Belichick and his twenty four year old draft choice, Jordan Hudson. Well, and I shouldn't say draft choice, his BF, his new BFF, or as he referred to her. There was a phrase he used, creative muse. I never well, I think I know what that means. But so we had some really good calls last hour, and I want to continue this hour. It was just I think it was a couple of weeks ago. I'm not exactly sure of the date. I should, of course, always look up something like this. That we had the pleasure of talking with my guest, Marty Gitlin. Marty is is a sports writer. We had a long conversation today he and I and I think we got to know each other. And I like to think I know a little bit about sports, but Marty Gitland knows a lot. By the way, I did I know you sent an email to that fellow we were talking about today who I haven't talked to him many years, and I had a brief conversation with him tonight and was delightful, and I'll talk with him. Marty. Thanks for making that reintroduction earlier this evening.
Speaker 3: How are you tonight, Yeah, that was my pleasure. I'm doing just fine. I'm really flattered that you having me back and looking forward to talking a little bit here.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So the book is entitled The Fifty Greatest Athletes in Boston Sports History. Just for introductory douctory purposes. Introductory purposes tell us a little bit about yourself and also tell us a little bit about the genesis of this book. You are a prolific author. You've written a variety type variety many type books. Let's put it like that. I'll keep it simple. How was it that you came You were a Cleveland sports writer and somehow, some way you focused your first book dealing with the athletes of a community on Boston. How was it that you came to the to the Boston story first?
Speaker 3: Well, I thought if I was gonna you know, I had the idea of doing a book or a series of books on the greatest athletes in a particular city, whether it's you know, football, basketball, hockey, baseball, you know, and you know, not just limited to one sport. And I figured, if I was going to do that, Boston would be the very obvious choice because of the passion of the fans here and the and the you know, the greatness of the athletes in all four sports, and the fact that they have a team, you know, they've had a team for decades and decades and decades and all four of the major sports, So that obviously was a factor as well. But I know the passion of Boston sports fans, and I thought a book like that would go over really well there, yeah, now here. You know, I moved to New England a couple of years ago because I always wanted to live in New England. So I lived in Cleveland, Ohio my whole lot, and moved to New England in twenty twenty three.
Speaker 2: Well, the the thing that that is that's great about this is that growing up as a kid in the fifties and following sports, the National Hockey League only had six teams, yeah, you know, two in Canada. For in America, we had the number of basketball teams. You know, back in that those days there were pro teams and places like Cincinnati and Syracuse. In Minneapolis, there was no Los Angeleskers when until at some point that the Minneapoliskers moved to Los Angeles and became the Los Angeleskers. Now, of course there's the Minnesota Miny Minnesota Timberwolves. But in football, we didn't have a pro football team until the AFLKA.
Speaker 3: Right and nineteen sixty.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and so so we've had the benefit of the four major sports in Boston probably as long as anybody I'm trying to think back. Chicago obviously has had they had the benefit of two football teams uh, two baseball teams for for a long time, but they didn't have a basketball team and they had the Black Ops. So until they had the Chicago Zephyrs before the Bulls, they didn't have the full complement of four teams.
Speaker 3: Well, Detroit I believe did right now.
Speaker 2: Yeah they did. They had the Red Wings and the Pistage for a long time. Yeah, and of course the Tigers and the Lions. Yep. Okay, so Detroit did. Philadelphia they had a basketball team.
Speaker 3: They they the Philadelphia Warriors.
Speaker 2: Yep, they would have the Warriors, which they became the Warriors. So that so was Boston, Detroit, and Philadelphia. Who you could have picked, and you picked Boston. Okay, good enough. Now a couple of just general questions, and then I'm going to try to incorporate as many callers in as we can. You picked from professional from athletes. It's the fifty Greatest Boston Athletes. The name of the book is the fifty greatest athletes in Boston sports history. But you didn't include non professionals, for example, like Phil Rogers, the marathon champion, or well.
Speaker 3: Yes, well there was a separate list in the book, and it's kind of the back of the book where I actually ranked the top twenty, I believe athletes who are from Boston, who are from the you know, the general Boston area, like Marciano, Tom Glavin, and so forth.
Speaker 2: I hopefully, hopefully had Marvin Hagler in.
Speaker 3: There, and you know you have of course, yeah, Marvin Hagler. But that's a separate list, and my Amazon page for this particular book doesn't really make that distinction quite strong enough. So I wanted to let folks know that the main list of the book, the main thrust of the book as a top fifty athletes in Boston history that that were Boston uniforms and any the four major sports, and then there a separate list.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so on that on that separate list, I assume you had Bill Rogers, Yes, what about Nancy Carrigan or Tenley Albright?
Speaker 3: Uh think Kragan I believe made it. I would have to actually have to look and and it's it's it's I shouldn't have to because that's yeah, the book. The book just came out last week. But uh, you know, but I'm I'm trying to remember, I can, I can, uh, you know, pie trainer, there's only there's the list only has I think fifteen athletes. Uh, and I ranked them and I think I believe I have Rocky Marciano number one.
Speaker 2: Okay, no problem, no problem.
Speaker 3: One that you know Patrick ewing was from who was?
Speaker 2: Which was which other one?
Speaker 3: Did you say, Patrick Ewings.
Speaker 4: Ridge?
Speaker 3: What you're talking about?
Speaker 2: Yeah, Cambridge Engine Line. Well so you had kind of a.
Speaker 3: Yes, Kiddley all Bright. There you go. Figure skating, I do we have to.
Speaker 2: I believe she skated in the fifty six Olympics. I think she wre the gold and she became a doctor, a very significant doctor here, and she's still skating or she's still involved with the Boston Skating Club. So what I want to do is I want to give our listeners a chance, and I'm going to give people a chance to ask you about who's on the list. I'd like to have people maybe give us some names that aren't on the list. I have the list, which you were kind enough to send to me, so I'm not going to cheat. But I think this is one of those great stories that you can always have conversations about. I went through the.
Speaker 3: List, that's the greatest thing. And the debate, the debate over my top fifty and who didn't make it and where they're and so forth. What makes this book so much fun?
Speaker 2: Yeah, and you know, I went through it on on a little personal note. I went through it to see how many of these athletes I have interviewed on my radio show. And there were several that I interviewed. I'll I'll tell that to people later. And then how many of them I interviewed when I worked as a television reporter. One story that will tell clearly call Yastremsky is on the list, and I covered We covered it as a news story in nineteen seventy eight, Yastremsky's pursuit of his three thousandth hit and it took.
Speaker 3: Fu Oh yeah, yeah, I remember.
Speaker 2: That, and it was I don't know if you remember the picture. He got sort of a seeing eye single against the Yankees, and I think Willie Randolph might have waived on the on the ball he was. He batted against Jim Betty who had pitched it darkness.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, I remember him.
Speaker 2: And so Beattie gave up his three thousand hit and we would end up in the clubhouse on the eleven o'clock deadline every night, and of course the games in those days they went a little quicker than they did in more recent years. And we would walk into the clubhouse and invariably there were like three nights where Carl had gone hitless, so he stuck. He was stuck at twenty nine and ninety nine, and he would be sitting on a stool or a chair in front of his locker and it he'd be puffing on a cigarette, kind of bent over. And most of the printed scribes they they weren't looking at the deadline. I was looking at it. I was looking at eleven o'clock Liveshot deadline, and they were all very respectful, but I had the time pressure. They didn't have to file until midnight. Maybe or they might have had this story written, but I had to get the sound, turn it around and get live outside of Fenway Park. So it was up to me, Okay, yes, let's talk about tonight. I know it didn't work. I had to ask him the most blunt questions there were. There were none of these, well, yes, you hit the ball twice on the line, just didn't There was none of that. It was cut to the chase time, simple as that. So let's let's I want people I'll give you. I'll give people callers up to five names. You can't give us any more than five names. And let's see if my audience is good enough, smart enough to get as many of the top fifty. Let's have it. Let's make this again. Let's have fun with it, okay, And if anybody gets five for five, and of course the earlier you call, you got to get five for five, you'll get a night Side T shirt. And Andrew, you can just take down these folks names, but they got to get five for five, okay. And if they if they get four out of five, no T shirt. And Andrew extra large is the biggest size T shirt we have to give away. Keep that in mind. So if someone's looking for AX, that doesn't exist anymore. So if you want to participate and win a Nightside T shirt six one, seven, two, five, four, ten thirty, six one seven, nine, three, one, ten thirty, you got to hit five for five, okay. And once one name is gone, it's gone. So it's only gonna get tougher as the as the hour goes on, we'll be back on night Side with my guest Marty Gitlin, his book, which is going to be a great Father's Day. It would be a Mother's Day gift two of if your mom's a sports fan.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 2: It is simply the fifty greatest athletes in Boston sports history. Let's light it up, let's give away some T shirts, and let's let's remember the the all time greats who have graced Boston professional sports. Back on Nightside right after this, light them up six one, seven, two thirty and six one seven, nine, three, one, ten thirty. You gotta get five for five coming back.
Speaker 1: If you're on Night Side with Dan Ray, I'm telling you easy Boston's News Radio.
Speaker 2: My guest is Marty Gittlin. He's a sports writer, has written a lot of books, great sports books. The latest is the fifty Greatest Athletes in Boston sports history. Maney, if you're ready to go, we'll we'll try to move through these callers as quickly as we can. And again, you got to hit five for five, folks. It's as simple as that. The first callers are going to have it as easy. Is only going to get more difficult as we go along. If you want to take a shot, we're gonna start it off with Lee in Quinsy. Lee, you are lucky you're calling number one. Give us five people five.
Speaker 4: I have me because I'm the first one. I know the I have the easy ones. But before I say that, I just wanted to say about a player who might not be on the list that should be on the list, because.
Speaker 2: Well, let's save that, let's do this, Let's save that for a moment, because I want to I want to qualify you for a T shirt first, because if if anybody's going to get a T shirt, okay that you know are on the.
Speaker 4: List, Okay, Bobby or Tom Brady, Bill Russell, John Hannah, Ted Williams, I.
Speaker 2: Think you're okay, yes, yep, okay, yeah, that's there. Yeah, okay, so you're going to get a T shirt. Now, who did Who do you want to suggest should be on the list? Who you don't things on the list?
Speaker 4: Greg mccaren, Is that a jockey? That's a jockey. He's one, He's a Hall of Fame jockey.
Speaker 2: No, I understand. Yeah, but again this was limited, just so you know, which is fine. And tomorrow's the Derby. I get it. It's not a bad point. But all of those sort of like individual athletes, tennis players, boxers, and and and and ice skaters, we explained on a separate list.
Speaker 3: But the good news Boston uniform.
Speaker 2: Okay, I'm sorry, that's no, no, no, no, no, that that's good. Are you somebody who likes to go to the track.
Speaker 4: Oh yes, I've always been to the truck my whole life.
Speaker 2: Okay, let me ask you. When I talked to somebody who's been to the track, who's ahead? You were the track over the years?
Speaker 4: All horse players are degenerate liars.
Speaker 2: Go ahead, lie, tell me you're ahead.
Speaker 4: No, no, I like to think I can break even, but yeah, I don't think so.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Well there's uh, tomorrow's the Derby? Tomor' is the Derby? A year? A year ago? It was won. I remember the horse that running one a year ago? No, how could you forget mystic Dan?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 2: Oh wow that was my horse, my horse I had. I had a tip from someone on that horse. It was not an inside information. Tip, was just someone said you got to get a bed in on on the horse that's that's named for you. It was kind of an inside show. It was a thirty five or one shot.
Speaker 4: And and no kidding, that's great.
Speaker 2: The Steve came across the line as the winner. Then they lost money o the Preakness in the Belmont. Anyway, Hey, look, stay right, stay right there. We're going to get you a night side T shirt from our friends at College Hype. I want you to make sure that we leave your name, leave your name, address, and size, and the most biggest size we can go is XL. So if you're a triple AX or something, because I know I've known some people who go to the track who can be triple X, hope you're not a triple.
Speaker 4: To the best. Let me just say one thing. The best comic I ever heard about horse racing. It's called daycare for degenerates.
Speaker 2: That's good, Okay, I like that. I like that. What do they do for people who go for the dogs? I think, you know, I think the dogs are even I mean the dog races last like thirty seconds and it's over. You know, at least reason they got to go couple of minutes.
Speaker 4: I own gray I own greyhounds when I was younger, my father and they have that's a whole other story.
Speaker 2: You got it, So stay there, we'll get you. We'll get you. You're the first nightside T shirt winter tonight. You hit five in a row. No One else can take those names, but I think most of my some of my callers will be able to hit some of them if they think they got to think past the Big four. You know, Russell Brady or and Ted Williams. You're talking basketball, football, hockey, and baseball, right, so go ahead and Rob will take care. You're going to come from our friends at College Hype. By the way, if you want Nightside gear, which includes I mean everything you could imagine, well not everything you can imagine, but you got t shirts, hooded sweatshirts, night side hats, coffee mugs, tote bags, all produced for our friends by our friends at college Hype, Jack Dougherty and Joe Foley and a whole gang over there. Just great people. And the proceeds from the sale of Knightside Gear goes to benefit the Shadow Fund shadowfundany dot org, which provides fine money uh support for people who do not have sufficient funds for their to get their pets to their vet and that is out of the Massachusetts School of Law. The assistant dean up there, Diane Sullivan, runs that she is a saint. There are no administrative cost. Every penny that goes to the Shadow Fund ends up helping some person who doesn't have the money to get their pet the veterinary care they need. We'll be back with my guest, Marty Gitlin. And I'm telling you right now, Marni, just very quickly, you have a profile on every one of these athletes. So it's not they're just not buying a book with a list in it. They're buying a no.
Speaker 3: No, there's a why why I ranked them where I did, the total biography of each athlete, and some quotes, some about the athlete from a different athlete or a different person, and a quote from the athlete themselves, and some a lot of statistical information. It's it's a very complete list and a very complete you know, uh, biography and so forth, each one of these athletes and why they were ranked in that particular order.
Speaker 2: As they say, anyone who has a parent or a grandparent who loves sports, they would, I'm sure love this book.
Speaker 3: And i'd like to I'd like to tell people, you know, when when the point come back, you know where they can get the book autographed and personalized as well.
Speaker 2: Yeah, obviously I assume yeah they can get it through Amazon, but probably to get it autographed and personalized. Which is even better. I assume that you have a website, and so we'll make sure we yes.
Speaker 3: And I'll let them I'll let them know about that.
Speaker 2: Perfect. Okay, we'll be back with my guest, Marty Gitlin, sportswriter. Extraordinary, really has done some great work over the years. He's been doing it long time. Uh And I know I when I talk with him today, he more than qualified himself. He knows Boston sports. Back on Nightside right after this.
Speaker 1: You're on the Night Side with Dan Ray. I'm w BZ Boston's news Radio.
Speaker 2: What a sad story that was little boy for four or five years old, and of course the story the little boy who was hit by the bus here in Boston. Hold your children close to you. Six seven, two thirty. We got one line there in six one, seven nine thirty. Gonna go next to David and Stoke. David, welcome, you were next on the Night Side. You got a pretty good shot here. Give us five people where you think should be in the top fifty athletes for the Boston uniform basically Celtics, Brewers, Patriots or Red Sox.
Speaker 3: About Larry Byrne.
Speaker 2: Yep, that's one woozy. I'm sorry. Second one is what coozy? Yep, that's two. You got two for two?
Speaker 3: About Grog?
Speaker 2: Yeah he's in here, there he is. Yep, go ahead. Three for three? Uhrim ski oh yeah, four for four?
Speaker 3: How about Roger Clemens?
Speaker 2: You got five for five? Have to have to have Clemens in here? Actually, I think Clemens should be a little higher up, but they'll leave that alone. He pitched a lot of his games for other teams, you know, after the Red Sox. Yeah, yeah, yeah, so you got you won, You got one here. Good for you, Dave. What you're gonna do is you gotta leave your your name and your address, your phone number, and your size. Again, extra large is the top size. From our friends at College Hype, Jack Darty and Kathleen Hickey and the gang over at College Hype. They provide T shirts for us and they're just wonderful partners. If you need any any items you you just go ahead and and call College Hype. If you want to purchase any nights I just material, just go to nightsidegear dot com. Nightsidegear dot Com and T shirts, mugs and everything. David, thanks very much, you know you sports you, thank you, thank you.
Speaker 3: Boddy all right, hope.
Speaker 2: You get the book too. By the way, David, I think you'd enjoyed a whole lot. Okay, thank you much. Okay, Andrew Rich will take care of him. Let me get one more in here. I'm gonna go next to Matt Matten only gets tougher the later we go, because we got ten off the board and we're making it five for five.
Speaker 3: Here we go. If Raebork was it said, Raybork, you.
Speaker 2: Got Ray Bork one for one. Okay, go ahead, that's good, keep going.
Speaker 5: Sam Jones a.
Speaker 2: Great, a great pick. Sam Jones. That's two for two. Sam Jones was our playground instructor. I think when I was twelve year old. Twelve years old in the nineteen sixties. Believe it or not, Marty, the Celtics players didn't make a whole lot of money then what he did? How about that?
Speaker 3: Huh?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Go ahead, Matt, all right.
Speaker 3: If it wasn't said to have a check, have the checks.
Speaker 2: Okay, hold on you three for three. Let me make sure. I just got to check it off to make sure that. Okay, we we have picked h some big ones. You're three for three, you got two more?
Speaker 4: Alright?
Speaker 5: Randy Moss, No, he.
Speaker 3: Didn't play long enough for the He didn't play long enough for the Patriots. That was the problem. There was not enough longevity there to be in the top fifty of all time.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean if he had played, he had run up those two kind of the statistics, maybe five or six seven years. Absolutely, but he just didn't play the last way.
Speaker 2: I would have said, anyway, who was the last one?
Speaker 4: The last two I would have said anyway, would have been.
Speaker 3: Kenny Hodge.
Speaker 2: Nope, No, Kenny was was a good one, was here along, was here a long time and by the way, a really good guy. But unfortunately, when when you hear some of the names that you missed, I'm not going to tell you now, but I'll at the end of the hour, we'll read some of the names that were missed. Okay, so you got three for five. If you've got four for five, because you're a regular caller, I probably would have given you that extra shot. So I'm gonna unfortunately, Matt, No problem, Matt, we'll talk again. Thank you so much, Okay, all right, thanks to appreciate it. All right, So we've given away a couple of T shirts. Let's keep rolling. Six, one, seven, thirty. We're talking with Marty Gitlin and Marty, I'm surprised. There's there's a lot of big names here that people haven't thought about. They have to be killing. Yeah, there's there's a lot still on the board here. And and by the way, Matt is a real good baseball guy. There's some good baseball people he didn't go to, which again surprises me. But that's okay. Let's go to Tim. Tim, you are next one Night's I'm gonna give you a shot here at a night side T shirt. You gotta go five for five, Tim, Okay, you ready? Yeah, let's go slow, so I don't want to make a mistake. Go right ahead. Okay, Number one Bobby or probably Tim hold it, Tim, Yeah, Tim, I'm gonna let you get back in. Have you been listening for the entire hour?
Speaker 4: Yes.
Speaker 2: What I said was, once someone's off the board, you can't pick him. So Bill Russell has been picked, Tom Brady, Bobby or Ted Williams, Larry Bird, raybor Kylia Streemsky, Bob Cousy, Tom Hannah, John Havlicek Gronkowski, Sam Jones, and Roger Clements. They're off the board. But there's a whole bunch of names on the board, So you gotta get five for five, but you can't pick someone who's already been picked.
Speaker 5: Yeah, anyhow, I picked the five and a lot of them are off the board, so I'm out to lunch.
Speaker 2: Well, you want to take a shot at there's a whole bunch of names here.
Speaker 3: All right, let me think.
Speaker 2: Well you gotta think quickly though. Go ahead, I'll tell you I can't do it. All right, okay, Tim, we'll We'll let you go when I read off the names that haven't been picked some of I'm not going to read them all off. Some of them that haven't been picked. I think you're going to be surprised. But that's okay, you got it. We'll get you another prize another night. Thanks to appreciate it. Have a great night. Where are my sports fans. We've only taken so far thirteen names off the board. That means there are thirty seven names left, ladies and gentlemen. I just wanted for a second, Marty.
Speaker 3: Just to.
Speaker 2: Run a couple of names by you that didn't make the list. Okay. Uh And and just for the fun of it, you and I talked about Louis Tiant. I'm yes, a great, great friend of Louis.
Speaker 3: Picture of the Cleveland Indians when I was a kid.
Speaker 2: Well, I was there the day that Moore h had no hit the Indians and Tiant was the losing picture in September of sixty five. But I would see Louis often at a restaurant in Milton where he lived, and uh, what a great guy, what what a what a great guy he was?
Speaker 3: He was beloved.
Speaker 2: Okay, so I'm going to run a couple of names that are not here while we wait for some other calls. Six one seven two five Ford and we got to take a break. Six one seven, four ten thirty. Here's I don't think here's a name that you must have thought about. And you didn't include.
Speaker 3: Babe Ruth in there? What not to get into the book.
Speaker 2: I'm looking here really carefully at your list.
Speaker 3: That you see about because he only played six years. They played from nineteen fourteen to nineteen nineteen.
Speaker 2: Right, But what I'm saying is that no, so you didn't. He's not in the top fifty. Uh I'm aheaded right now.
Speaker 6: Oh my lord, And hold on, I was I could have scorn I included him, and you know, that's odd that I didn't, because I was sure that I did. And that's unusual because the book just freaking came out and here I am. Yes, you're right, he didn't make it. He you know, obviously, you know, he was more or less just a picture for the Red Sox un till the very end when when they you know, they it got absolutely ridiculous that they weren't playing him every day in the outfield because he was revolutionizing baseball in his bat.
Speaker 3: But I must have just included him as an honorable mention. So yeah, no, you're you're absolutely right, and I was. I was sure that I had included him, and I feel silly, but no, I don't have the babe in there. I have left the grove in there.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, don't don't give away any more names here. I'm gonna I'm gonna throw a couple at you. They didn't make the list real quickly, and which kind of surprised me. We talked about tea on I would have liked to have seen Steve Brogan on the list, and and and Grogan played fifteen years here and was probably the most He may not have been the best Patriots quarterback, but he was the.
Speaker 3: Well obviously, yeah, I you know, and I did. I did consider Grogan and he was a wonderful running quarterback, you know, he was he threw a lot of interceptions and.
Speaker 2: He was uh, you know, I just that's okay.
Speaker 3: I would have been you know, I think if the if the book was the top maybe sixty, I would have had Grogan in there. Yeah. I do have a second. I do have a second Patriots quarterback in the book.
Speaker 2: I know we're gonna leave that alone for now. We're gonna leave that alone for now. People will probably be able. That's a that's a pretty good big hint. I'll just tell you that Grogan is a great guy. Uh and and he's been on my show a couple of times. Really good guy. And so that's a little that's a personal one as well. And we'll we'll go to some others. But I got to take a quick break. We'll be right back with my guest, Marty Gitlin. The book The Fifty Greatest Athletes in Boston Sports History. I got three people on the line. I'm gonna try to accommodate on a fourth coming up. We'll try to get to everybody, but we're gonna have to be quick back on night Side right after this.
Speaker 1: Night Side with Dan Ray. I'm Boston's news Radio.
Speaker 2: Okay, we're only a few minutes left. We're gonna try to get everybody in. Let's get down the business. Let's get to it quickly. Try to accommodate all Mike in Gloceston. Next, Mike, give us five names that haven't been called. Go ahead, Mike, let's do this quick. Jim Rice, Jim Rice is there, Yes, Sir David Ortiz. David Ortiz is there. You're two for two.
Speaker 3: Pedro Martinez.
Speaker 2: Pedro Martinez is there. You're three for three.
Speaker 3: All right, let's do a little cam neely.
Speaker 2: Yes, you're four for four.
Speaker 1: All right.
Speaker 3: I gotta dig deep.
Speaker 2: This is fun, isn't it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, let me go. Dave Cowens.
Speaker 2: I think you hit five for five. Dave Cowens has also been on the program. So you got five for five. Mike, You're a winner. You're a winner. I hope you get the book. You'll enjoy the book too. Let me tell you that's a you did a great job, Mike, because a lot of the easy names were the most obvious names are off the board. All right, man, Yeah, thanks keep going.
Speaker 3: I could keep going.
Speaker 5: I was gonna say you gave a hint, because there are a lot of big baseball names from the last thirty years. I don't know.
Speaker 3: Jim Rice was.
Speaker 2: No no, no, no more, no more. You're done. You won your prize. It's it's a great Nightside T shirt. We're gonna be coming your way. We get it to you in a few days. Nothing bigger than an Excel Okay, simple as that. If it's gonna be bigger than next one, get it for your wife. Fair enough, Thanks Mike, don't hang out, all right, and who's gonna take care you. Let's go next to Pat in West Roxbury. Pat, you were next on Nightside.
Speaker 5: Go right ahead, Hey Dan, how you doing a long time listener?
Speaker 2: Well, first time caller, first time caller.
Speaker 3: Yeah, absolutely, Well, we.
Speaker 2: Got to give you a quick round of applause from our studio audience. I think that all right at this moment. Yeah, there it is the studio audience. They were, so go ahead.
Speaker 5: Uh, I'm gonna go with Tommy Hudson.
Speaker 2: That's great. Tommy's a great guy. He's been on the show, you know. Tommy and his post career became a wonderful painter, and I knew Tommy really well, great guy.
Speaker 5: Go ahead, all right, Johnny Busick.
Speaker 2: Yep, Busick is in there. Yep, absolutely all right, my man before me.
Speaker 5: Just he took like three of my picks here, so that can happen.
Speaker 2: That's what happens nights like this.
Speaker 5: Go ahead, I but I put a couple of extra ones on there. How about Ron Burton?
Speaker 2: No, unfortunately, Ron Burton one of the Patriots, I think the Patriots first draft choice back in the day out of Northwestern. I'm sorry, but but that's you.
Speaker 6: It's time.
Speaker 3: Listen.
Speaker 2: Do you get what the do over? Okay, here's what I'm gonna do for you. Because you're a first time caller. Uh, and I hope you're gonna become a regular caller. You've got two for two, right, okay, so I'm gonna give you one due over, but you got to hit three in a row, so you get one one. I'm being being more generous than I should be.
Speaker 5: Go ahead, that's fine. How about Johnny havelecheck havelet check.
Speaker 2: Yep, that's a it's a high No. No, he was mentioned earlier. Come on, bet Uh, that's at the next next time we'll get a contest for you. A good, good, good effort. Okay, thanks, Pat, got.
Speaker 5: To run about Chris Nyland.
Speaker 2: He's my buddy. He should be on that list, buddy, Thanks, Thanks, was here to be of the Montreal Canadians list. Mike and Plymouth. Mike want to get you in here, and I want to get Rick and Cambridge.
Speaker 3: Go ahead, Mike, Okay, Dan, here we go. Ready, fill Usposito.
Speaker 2: Yepes is on the list. You're one for one. Ray Bork Ray book was already mentioned.
Speaker 1: Oh no, yeah, didn't get a do over.
Speaker 5: I didn't hear Bork.
Speaker 3: I would listen.
Speaker 5: I didn't hear him called honestly.
Speaker 2: Okay, I'm gonna be nice. I'm gonna be nice. But you still got to hit four in a row. Go ahead.
Speaker 3: Robert Parrish.
Speaker 2: Parish is on the list. Jerry Cheevers, Nope, you're dead. Sorry. Cheeves was good, no doubt, arguably might have might have made.
Speaker 3: It, but sorry, go ahead. Didn't quite make it.
Speaker 2: Didn't quite make it. That's Marty Gilpin. All right, Mike, going to try to get a couple more in Thanks, man to you soon, all right, good try Rick is in Cambridge. Rick, you might be the last one because you and one more. Let's be quick.
Speaker 4: Go ahead, Rick, Yes, sir, real quick, Bowie.
Speaker 2: No, you're I'll give you. I'll give you. Since I gave the other guys one, I'll give you one. So that that's okay. You gotta do over give it.
Speaker 4: Kevin McHale.
Speaker 2: Kevin McHale is on the list, so you won for one. Go ahead?
Speaker 4: Calm Fish.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Fiskers on the list here where I just gotta check them off at some point. Yeah, Carlton's here here, you're two for two. Go ahead.
Speaker 4: Derek Sanderson.
Speaker 2: Nope, that's that's the that is the Are you kidding me? He's not on the list.
Speaker 3: Not a list. You gotta You got a hockey team that's had one hundred years of uh you got one hundred years of hockey there. There's a bunch of.
Speaker 2: Great hockey players that have that have been missed here. All right, Rick, I gotta.
Speaker 3: Let you go.
Speaker 4: I'm gonna get one more in your.
Speaker 2: Thank you, Rick, appreciate trying. Ritchie and Merrimack. You're the last caller of this hour. You go right ahead.
Speaker 3: Okay, jeez, I've probably got names.
Speaker 2: But anyways, well, you got to pick the best ones. Now, okay, we we're on thin ice here. Go ahead, go ahead, No, No, you're Ozero for two. When you're dead, go who are the others you picked?
Speaker 4: Well, then I'll go for Dewey.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Dwight Evans should be in the Hall of Fame in my opinion. Unfore, you missed too, so you're we're dead in the water. But that's it. But I'm glad that.
Speaker 3: One more at you.
Speaker 2: Go ahead.
Speaker 3: He probably didn't write down, but this guy was good. His name was Louis Aparicio.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's a white played there like one season, fill down round and third base and cost him. I think, go ahead, go ahead, Mary, you know we.
Speaker 3: Got to give you one. I cannot believe that no one has mentioned Paul Pierce, Yeah Pierce, no one's mentioned.
Speaker 2: No one's mentioned Wade Boggs.
Speaker 3: Bobby Door, Andre Tippett.
Speaker 2: No one's mentioned Jason Tatum, Eddie.
Speaker 3: Chris Speakertum for goodness sake, Yeah.
Speaker 2: That's why I just hit Tatum. Yeah all right. Uh. Thanks to the callers, Richie and rich I wish I could have pulled you across the finish line. We do have some winners. Thank you so much. My friend.
Speaker 3: Do you want to mention my uh get the book?
Speaker 2: Yes, how they get the book and how they get an autograph copy personalized Go.
Speaker 3: Ahead my autograph personalized copy, etc. Dot Com E T s y dot com, slash shop s h O P slash Gitlin Books, g I t l i N Books, ets dot com, slash shop said slash Gitland Books. Or you can facebook me. I'm Marity Gitland, m A r t Y g I t l i N and just facebook me and I'll let you know where to get the book on etc. If you didn't write that all down, but ats dot com, slash shop, slash Geitland Books. They can also buy my Ultimate Boston Red Sox Time Machine book on there. I'm the only author ever to actually write all about the entire history of the Red Sox, going back to nineteen oh one all the way to today.
Speaker 2: Sounds great, Marty, thank you so much. Again. Give us the Facebook page, because everybody that's the easiest one. God, give us the Facebook page. How they get it?
Speaker 3: Yeah, Marity Gitlin, m A r t Y. Just my name, g I t l i N Marty Gitlin on just face facebook me and let me know you want to know more about the book and where to get it, and I'll get you onto that ETS page at c dot com, slash shop, slash s Gitland Books.
Speaker 2: Marty, this was so much fun. Thank you, my friend. We will talk again, Okay.
Speaker 3: My pleasure. I enjoyed it. Thank you so much for having me, and thanks to all your callers.
Speaker 2: All right, appreciate it. Will we get back. We're gonna step back and we're gonna ask you tonight. We have a very special question for the twentieth hour. Everybody should be able to participate. We're coming back on Night's side right after the news