Speaker 1: Hi.
Speaker 2: I'm Tina, and I'm Rich. There's one thing we've learned it over twenty years of marriage.
Speaker 1: It's that some days you'll feel like killing your wife.
Speaker 2: And some days you'll feel like killing your husband.
Speaker 1: Welcome to love, Mary Kill, Hey Rich, Hey Tina.
Speaker 2: How are you?
Speaker 1: I am great. How are you doing.
Speaker 2: I'm doing pretty okay. Despite everything that's going on in the world.
Speaker 1: There's a lot going on in the world.
Speaker 2: It's still a million degrees here in.
Speaker 1: Michigan, close to a million.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, and now we have this air quality alert because of the fires in Canada. I think the air quality is bad and a big part of the northern part of our country. And what else is going on. There's been some.
Speaker 1: Bad the cyclospora outbreak, which is bad. You can't eat any vegetables or anything.
Speaker 2: Oh so myself an eight year olds are really happy right now. I supposed to eat fruit or vegetables. I don't know how serious we're supposed to take that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it does sound pretty pretty bad. It is. Though. On a lighter note, it is National hot Dog Days, So happy National hot Dog Day to you.
Speaker 2: Same to you, And how did you celebrate?
Speaker 1: I had a hot dog?
Speaker 2: Did you what kind of hot dog? Did you have?
Speaker 1: Just a regular old hot dog bun? And yeah, pretty much brand deerborn brand hot dogs.
Speaker 2: Oh it was the deerborn kind. Okay, that's a Michigan. I knew that you had a hot dog because you left the pan in the sink.
Speaker 1: I did.
Speaker 2: And you prefer your hot dog to be boiled, which is the best way to get controversial. I don't know.
Speaker 1: Well, if you've ever been to a baseball game, that's how they make the hot dogs at the baseball game. Is there in a thing of hot water and they take it out of there, and it's just it's just delicious.
Speaker 2: I think a lot of people prefer them grilled. I'm laughing because our cats. One cat is in the room, Cosmo is in the room, Clover is out of the room. You close the door, I can't.
Speaker 1: It's going to cause trouble, isn't it. Yeah.
Speaker 2: And there's like this black paw like completely underneath the door right now, and Cosmo is I don't know if he's happy or if he's like, let my sister in.
Speaker 1: I don't know. They're they're just special, that's all I can say.
Speaker 2: We're recording this on Wednesday, July fifteenth, late in the afternoon, and the World Cup game is currently on between England and Argentina. Who do you think who do you think will win the World Cup? Well, there's this game and then whoever this game goes.
Speaker 1: To the final against Spain.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so I and the finals on Sunday. So this is our chance to be Yeah, like Nostradamis, I.
Speaker 1: Don't really know. I haven't watched any Argentina games. I have watched a game with England in it, and they looked amazing. So I'm gonna I'm gonna pick England. It's all the whole thing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I am also going to predict the same thing. A lot of nice people in the UK that listen to us.
Speaker 1: I'm sure we have a lot of nice people in Argentina and Spain.
Speaker 2: Also true, but I don't talk to them as much as I talk to people from the UK. So I'm good luck to everyone. I hope everyone has it.
Speaker 1: I just hope everyone has a good time, right.
Speaker 2: I hope everyone leaves the game feeling good about themselves. One more thing before we get to snack, we have written an episode about the Nolan Wells case that has been in the News and we haven't recorded it yet because we're waiting for autopsy results. We don't want to put any false information out there. We want to put the most accurate information out that we can.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and there's already a lot of speculation out there in social media about this case. It's a really sad and tragic case. It is taking a long time for the autopsy results to come back.
Speaker 2: Well, we are looking for the information and we're keeping an eye on the case. But I did bring you a snack last night. You messaged me. I think it was about eight fifteen and you said, will you What did you ask me?
Speaker 1: I said, would you please go to Culver's and get me a concrete mixer?
Speaker 2: Yes? And Culver's is I think there are a lot of places right now, but they are mostly in the Midwest. And what do they call them, a dq blizzards blizzard.
Speaker 1: That's right, I yeah, a lot of different places where they have like soft serve ice cream or custard mixed in with you know.
Speaker 2: Yeah. And I would have gone to Olivers, but you go to bed at like nine thirty. Yeah, So I did go to the store and get you some ice cream today. Really, I bought you two varieties of Jenny's. I'll let you pick which one you want. I was going to get like the local, fancy brand, but I don't want to sample things that people aren't.
Speaker 1: Yeah, on Jenny's is awesome.
Speaker 2: So I got Blackout chocolate cake and Brambleberry crisp. I know which one you're going to.
Speaker 1: I'm going to take the chocolate the Blackout.
Speaker 2: We're going to taste our ice cream really quick and then put it in the freezer and then we'll be right back.
Speaker 1: Awesome.
Speaker 2: Did you like the ice cream?
Speaker 1: Oh? Man, that was amazing. It's about the chocolateest ice cream I've ever had.
Speaker 2: Have you had that one before?
Speaker 1: No? I don't think so.
Speaker 2: Okay, I've gotten that one before. The brambleberry crisp was pretty good. It wasn't as good as the Blackout, Oh really, No, it was good though. It was good though I don't think you would have liked it though. I don't like blackberries. I didn't realize that that was the fruit that was in there. They didn't read the fine print. But it was still really good.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, thank you for that.
Speaker 2: You're very welcome. Was it as good as a concrete mixer?
Speaker 1: Though yeah, it was right up there, I'd say, Okay.
Speaker 2: Well, today we're going to tell you the tragic tale of Monique Bowl. Everyday, real estate agents around the world unlock the front doors of empty homes for people they've never met. They answer questions, point out a home's best features, and help prospective buyers imagine building a life there, all with little more than a name, a phone number, and the hope that the person standing beside them is exactly who they claimed to be. Most showings, and the same way, the buyers leave to think it over, the realtor turns off the light, locks the door, and moves on to the next appointment. On December thirtieth, twenty nineteen, twenty eight year old Minneapolis area reeltor Monique Boo expected her showing to end the same predictable way. The showing was at a vacant home on Niagara Lane in Maple Grove, An, a fluent Minneapolis suburb known for its quiet neighborhoods and repute as one of the safest communities in the state. It was a pretty two story yellow house, five bedrooms and four baths on a quiet residential street. The buyer cold called her and seemed very excited to see the house, but the prospective clients never showed up. Later that day, the buyer called to apologize and asked if they could reschedule for the following afternoon, New Year's Eve. Monique agreed, despite having plans with her family later that evening. Maybe there was still time for one last sale before the year came to an end. There was nothing about that location that suggested danger. Monique had no way of knowing that she wasn't walking into a routine home, showing she had been intentionally lured there. This wasn't a crime of opportunity or a chance encounter. Was the final step in a carefully planned revenge plot. When Monique arrived at that house, every piece was in place.
Speaker 1: You know, I never considered before that being a realtor could potentially be a dangerous job because you are, like you said, meeting people that you have no idea who they are, and usually you're meeting them in an empty home.
Speaker 2: Especially being a female, it makes you very vulnerable. Monique latrese Leanna Bao was born on October seventeenth, nineteen ninety one, in Minneapolis, Minnesota, to Wanda and Frank Bao who divorced when she was young. Monique was their only child together, though her father, Frank, later had several more children. Wanda and Monique had a very close relationship. It was the two of them against the world. The rest of the family was close knit as well. Monique was also close to her cousins, who were more like siblings. After graduating from high school, Monique worked as a server at several restaurants. Her warmth and friendliness made her great at her job. When in twenty eighteen, she decided she wanted to build a new career, she enrolled in a real estate course, passed her licensing exam, and joined the Chris Lin Dall real estate group. She quickly discovered that she'd found her calling. Monique loved helping people find their dream homes, and those who knew her said she had a natural gift for the job. Clients were drawn to Monique's warmth, infectious smile, and easygoing personality. She had a way of making people feel comfortable almost instantly. More than anything, though, Monique was proud to be a mother. Her two young daughters were the center of her world, and she worked hard to build a career to make them proud and give them the best life that she could. Monique had been dating John Mitchell Momo, better known as Momo, a local rapper, since they were teens. They welcomed two daughters in twenty sixteen and twenty eighteen. Legacy and legend. Monique was a wonderful mother and always put the children first. She was working hard to build a future for them. As Monique's real estate career was burgeoning, Momo's rap career was flourishing. He'd collaborated with Little Baby, Rick Ross and the late Nipsey Hustle, and had played the south By Southwest Music Festival Rubbing Elbows with fifty cent.
Speaker 1: So he was pretty big time there.
Speaker 2: I mean I think he was getting miss gidding there.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: When he signed with the record Big Black, it was the break had been waiting for, with the promise of a million dollar deal coming soon. On December sixteenth, twenty nineteen, Momo twenty nine filmed a music video for one of his songs, in which he stood in a shower surrounded by stacks of cash, tossing bills into the air. Then he placed the bills into a dryer and watched them spin as an aspiring wrapper with a flashy image. He may have thought that it fit his persona, but the video didn't impress everyone. It infuriated his enemies, specifically one man, Lynden Wiggins. Wanda, Monique's mother, was hopping mad when she realized that he had filmed the video inside her home. She confronted him, warning Momo that flaunting that kind of money wasn't just reckless and was putting him, Monique and the two baby girls in danger. Wanda later told Monique his image will get us killed. For a love alike for a share. On the day before New Year's Eve, Monique was scheduled to show a home to two potential buyers in Maple Grove at a Level A. Maple Grove is an affluent, family oriented suburb about fifteen miles northwest of downtown Minneapolis, home to roughly seventy thousand residents. It's one of the fastest growing communities in the Twin Cities and is known for its highly rated schools, well kept neighborhoods, in abundance of parks, trails, and lakes. The city has a strong ecodomy centered around a busy shopping area and business district. Much of Maple Grove consists of quiet residential neighborhoods where many families choose to settle. Monique's potential new client, Lisa Polowski and her husband, planned to meet Monique at the vacant house the next day, on December thirtieth. Lisa was very persistent and even called Monique's personal cell phone, which surprised her. It made her question how she'd gotten her private number. A lot of realtors have two phones, their personal phone and their business funding, and she kept them very separate from each other. Here is a clip from Lisa's phone call.
Speaker 1: Hi, Monique, my name is Lee the Palowski and I'm interested in.
Speaker 3: The property night Agora, Wayne North in Maple Grove, Minnesota.
Speaker 2: Just give me a call. This is a property that I'm really interested in and I'm hoping.
Speaker 1: That after the walk through it, it is one that I decide to go with.
Speaker 2: Monique arrived first and let herself into the home so she could familiarize herself with the layout before her clients arrived. Another realtor was there showing the property to a couple. After her clients left, the realtor chatted with Monique while she waited for her own clients. Just then, Lisa called her with an unusual question. She asked whether the stove in the house was gas or electric. She and her husband had a bet, She claimed, it seemed like an odd thing to call about when they would know the answer as soon as they walked through the door minutes later. It was the second time that this prospective client had made Monique feel uneasy.
Speaker 1: That is a really bizarre thing that would definitely make my instincts on edge. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Sure, Lisa Pulawski and her husband never showed it happens, thought Monique. After she'd waited thirty minutes, she locked up the house and went home. Later that evening, Lisa called Monique, apologized profusely, and asked to reschedule the showing for the following day, New Year's Eve. Wenique agreed to meet her at three pm at the house in Maple Grove.
Speaker 1: The next day. Momo arrived around two fifteen to stay with Legend and Legacy while Monique went to the showing. It was about a thirty minute drive to Maple Grove from Minneapolis. Monique was looking forward to ringing in the New Year later with her daughter, cousins and their children. While Momo was playing a show. She made salsa their day before she left for the showing in Maple Grove. It would be a night filled with food, drinks, laughter and fun. As an only child, Monique's relationship to her cousins was very important to her. It was her idea to hold cousin Knight once a month so they could all have at least one night guaranteed together amid everyone's busy schedules. As Monique pulled up to the house on Niagara Lane, she was on the phone with her cousin, Josie. She told her that she had a bad feeling the clients weren't going to show up again. Monique said she would wait ten minutes then head home to get ready for their Cousin's Night. She unlocked the door using the realtor's lock box, leaving it open for the clients, and entered the house. Just then, as Monique peered out the window, a vehicle pulled into the driveway. The clients weren't driving a car or suv that Monique expected them to arrive in. They pulled up in a rented U haul truck. It was odd, but Monique thought that maybe they were in the middle of a move, and that explained their urgency in seeing the house. Relieved that they hadn't stood her up again, Monique told Josie that she'd talk to her later and ended the call. That was the last time anyone in her family heard Monique's voice. At about three point thirty, Josie called to see how the showing had gone, but Monique didn't answer. Maybe the client going to make an offer and that's why it's taking so long, Josie thought. Moments later, she received a text message that read, can I call you back? It may seem innocuous, but something about it immediately bothered Josie. It wasn't the way Monique normally talked to her. Fifteen minutes later, she texted Monique again, but got no response. Momo had also sent Monique several text messages. She hadn't answered him either. It just wasn't like Monique to let texts go unanswered. Nearly two hours later, at five point forty pm, Momo was sitting on the stairs at Wanda's house texting Monique when he heard a key inserted into the lock and saw the doorknob turn. Assuming it was Monique coming home, he stood up to greet her when a man dressed entirely in black wearing a ski mask with one wide eyehole, stepped inside and immediately opened fire. Momo ran up the stairs shouting, I am dead already. My babies are here. The man lumbered up the stairs, chasing us him. He was shot multiple times, suffering wounds to his groin, shoulder, back, and chest. One bullet missed his heart by less than an inch. Thankfully, despite the chaos unfolding in the house, Legacy and Legend were physically unharmed. Despite being shot, Momo managed to call nine one one at about five forty five pm. In the background of the call, one of the baby girls could be heard crying and asking for her mommy. When first responders arrived, they found Momo critically wounded but alive. As her shift at the hospital ended at five point fifty five, Wanda Bao saw a text message from one of her neighbors that simply read call me. When she returned the call, he told her that someone had been shot at her house and police had already responded. Stunned, Wanda immediately called Monique. After several unanswered calls and text messages, panics set in She rushed home to find police cars lining the street, their red and blue light flashing against the dark winter sky. Seeing her granddaughters sitting on the couch crying, Wanda was overcome with relief that Legacy and Legend were unharmed. Two of her babies were safe, but where was Monique? As she hugged her granddaughters tightly, Wanda continued calling her daughter repeatedly with no response. Her nightmare was just beginning. Wanda noticed something on the carpet in the living room, a single key, but it wasn't just any key. She recognized it instantly. She had special ordered a key to her house for Monique years earlier. It was purple with a green butterfly. Monique always kept it with her on her key ring. Seeing it by itself on the rug made no sense unless someone had taken it from Monique. Wanda quietly set a prayer for her daughter, holding the babies closely. As the scene unfolded at Wanda's house, the police were also worried that Monique was in real danger. Just after seven PM, a man called nine one one after hearing three gunshots in an alley in North Minneapolis at nearly the same moment Minneapolis shot spot or system alerted officers to the shooting. At the location, they found a young black woman lying face down in a snowbank. She had been shot twice in the torso and once in the face at close range. She had also suffered bruises, scratches, and a chipped tooth. Nearby her body were three spent forty five caliber shell casings and the bottom half of a realtor's lock box. The woman had been shot about six miles from Wanda Boo's house. Just as detectives were loosening their ties preparing to celebrate New Year's Eve with their friends and family, they suddenly found themselves dragged into work to investigate two violent crime scenes that might be related. Back at Wanda's house, one detective quietly asked her if Monique had any tattoos. She stared blankly at the officer as her heart set into her stomach. She knew exactly why he was asking. Yes, she answered shakily, Monique has a tattoo across her chest that says Heartbreaker. That was enough for investigators to identify the woman found in the snowbank. Monique Latrice Leanna Bao was dead at just twenty eight years of age. Across town, Monique's cousins had begun gathering for their New Year's Eve celebration. The news hadn't reached them yet. They were expecting her to walk in the door any second, with her bright smile and a funny story about why she was late. Soon their world would be shattered when they learned about her death. Oh, this is so so sad and tragic. I can only imagine what was going through her mom's mind, especially when they asked her about the tattoos.
Speaker 2: As a story unfold, you'll see what a great mom want it is. And she had such a special relationship with her daughter, and this is her only child, and just devastating. Yeah, Monique was just so young and beauty full and had so much life to live. Just a really sad situation.
Speaker 1: We'll be back after a break.
Speaker 2: With Monique dead and Momo fighting for his life, investigators began reconstructing her final hours by using green camera footage from the Maple Grove neighborhood as well as cell phone data to piece together the timeline. The surveillance footage showed the U haul pulling up to the house a little after three PM, a man got out of the passenger seat, walked at the front door, and entered the house. The driver of the truck turned the truck around, then backed it up closely to the garage and went into the house too. A minute later, the man walked out with his arms closed the abron Monique, dragging her to the back of the vehicle, putting her inside and closing the door. At three seventeen PM, they drove away from the house. Monique was likely attacked by the man after he entered the house. She was gagged and her hands were bound with thick layers of gorilla tape. As the truck pulled away from Maple Grove, Monique was still alive. What happened in the next two and a half hours between Monique being abducted and Momo being shot is harrowing to think about. Monique must have been terrified for herself and her family. Police believed that one of the kidnappers sat in the back of the ye haul and questioned her about Momo's whereabouts as they drove through the streets of the Twin Cities. When she refused to tell them, they continued driving through the snowy streets, looking for Momo's car. Investigators believed that Monique never gave them the answer they wanted, but they did find the key to Wanda's house in her purse. At five forty p m. We know the kidnappers got to Wanda Bao's house, where Momo was still with his daughters. He was sitting on the stairs texting Monique when the man dressed entirely in black wearing a ski mask, arched into the house with a gun poised at Momo and shot him before leaving in the U haul. Bullet case were later found in the home from a forty five caliber handgun. The kidnappers then drove to the north side of Minneapolis to the three hundred block of Russell Avenue, where they shot Monique three times and then left her for dead in a snowbank just before seven pm. One of her wrists was free from the gorilla tape. Monique had fought hard to save herself, So.
Speaker 1: It was really like three hours or so that Monique was tied up and held captive before they shot and killed her.
Speaker 2: Yeah, just riding around the streets of Minneapolis.
Speaker 1: That's just so so terrifying to think of.
Speaker 2: After Monique's body was found. Investigators realized that they now had two crime scenes to investigate, Wanda's house and the alley where Monique was found. It was not a great start to twenty twenty. They had the video surveillance from the house in Maple Grove, which had been very helpful. Without that, they wouldn't have known to look for a U Haul. From cameras a resident had mounted in the alley behind his house, they found footage that revealed a U haul had pulled out of the alley onto the street after Monique had been shot. Bingo just cemented the fact that these two events were linked, and while canvassing Wanda's neighborhood, police found an eyewitness who reported seeing a U haul near her house. Later, Monique's black BMW was found at the house in Maple Grove. When the police went to the door to search the house for evidence, the bottom half of the lock box was missing, and remember, part of a lock box was found near Monique's body. After they entered the vacant house, police found a pink acrylic fingernail tip that likely belonged to Monique, an indication that there had been a struggle. Investigators needed to find the U haul. They had the plate, so it shouldn't be too hard. They got lucky when they found that it had already been returned to a local dealer. On New Year's Eve around nine p m. The back of the truck was open to air it out. It reeked of bleach in ammonia. A closer look inside revealed four more pink fingernails that had been left behind that matched the one found in aple Grove. A wrapper from a roll of guerrilla tape was found in the door pocket that matched the tape that was used to bind Monique's hands. When police located the two men who had signed the rental agreement, they explained that they were both struggling with heroin addiction. They'd rented the truck for a man who offered to pay them in drugs. The man's name was Cedric Barry. When investigators processed the duct tape recovered from Monique's hands, they found six fingerprints. They were processed through the system and a match was found. The Prince belonged to Cedric Barry. Barry was a low level drug dealer, already known to police since the age of eighteen. Barry had spent much of his adult life in and out of jail for gang related violence, aggravated robbery, and other offenses. He had previously served five years in prison after pleading guilty to his second degree murder charge. Police were able to identify the second man, the driver of the U haul, as Barry's brother in law, Barry Davis, also a drug deaeler. Why did these men go after Monique and Momo?
Speaker 4: So?
Speaker 1: Just to be sure I have this right? The two guys won. His name Cedric Berry and the other is Barry Davis.
Speaker 2: I try to refer to them with their first and last name. It's kind of ironic that both of their names are spelt b E r r Y. Momo was in serious condition, but awake and able to speak with detectives. He asked about Monique. When they told him that she was dead, he was devastated. He blamed himself for not doing more to protect her. Detectives asked him who could have done this? Momo didn't hesitate. La La, whose real name is Lyndon Akeem Wiggins, was an aspiring rapper and drug dealer. He sold heroin, crack, cocaine, marijuana, and fentanel across Minnesota and Michigan's up La. Wiggins performed under the stage name Black Bag. He was also the founder of the independent record label Black Bag, where John Mitchell Momo had signed. He and Momo had become close friends, traveling and performing together to promote their music. They spent countless hours together. Monique was friends with Wiggins as well, and it's rumored that he had a crush on her. Although Momo generally kept his family separate from his music career for their safety, Wiggins was one of the few people he trusted enough to bring into his inner circle. Momo grew frustrated with Wiggins's management style and was wary of his involvement in the drug trade. Over time, the friendship deteriorated and Momo left Black Bag. As Momo's music career began gaining momentum, Wiggins grew resentful. When Momo landed an opportunity to collaborate with the more established rapper Nipsey Hustle, Wiggins was eager to be included. He recorded a verse and sent it to Momo, hoping that it would make the final track. It didn't. Momo saw it as a business decision, and Wiggins saw it as personal rejection. Things escalated after John Mitchell Momo left black Bag Records. Wiggins blamed him for his career not taking off, and accused Momo of stealing his music. In October twenty nineteen, federal agents raided properties connected to La Wiggins, seizing thousands of fentanyl leaced counterfeit OxyContin pills, hundreds of pounds of marijuana, firearms, and tens of thousands of dollars in cash. Prosecutors alleged he continued trafficking fentanyl even after the raids. He thought someone had tipped off the dea, and he was pretty sure that was Momo. Weeks earlier, Momo had been arrested on a weapons charge, but prosecutors dropped the case against him. Previously, Momo was twice arrested on drug charges in twenty fourteen and twenty eighteen. The charges also were later dropped. Wiggins interpreted the dismissed charges as proof that Momo had cooperated with police to save himself and throw La under the bus. From that point on, he publicly branded Momo as a snitch, But court records revealed that Wiggins had been under investigation for more than two years for drug trafficking heroin and fentanyl. By then, the friendship had completely unraveled. Prosecutors argued that Wiggins's resentment their failed business relationship, combined with his belief that Mitchell Momo had informed on him to law enforcement, eventually grew into a deadly grudge. Fearing for her safety and the safety of her children, Monique decided it was best to temporarily leave their home and Coon Rapids, Minnesota, with Momo until things cooled off with his business. She and the girls moved in with her mother, Wanda, in Minneapolis. The move wasn't the end of the relationship, however. Momo continued to see his daughters regularly and still took Monique out on dates. They were aware that they might be in great danger because of Momo's strained relationship with Lyndon Wiggins, and they took precautions that they'd hoped would keep their family safe. MoMA didn't realize that the music video he made of himself showering in cash would be the catalyst for Monique's murder. According to prosecutors, Wiggins's resentment reached to a boiling point after Momo released the music video. Wiggins believed that Momo had snitched to law enforcement about his drug operation and was blatantly flaunting his success in his face after he'd left his music label, fueling the revenge plot that ultimately led to Monique's murder.
Speaker 1: Both Barry Davis and Cedric Berry, the men from the U Haul, worked under La Wiggins as drug dealers. Police knew that La was behind the murder plot, but didn't yet have enough evidence tying him to the crime, but they believed that the music video with the shower of Cash was the final straw. LA perceived that as Momo rubbing his success in his face. Police knew that on December twenty sixth and twenty ninth that La had viewed the music video from Facebook. Cedric Berry was the first arrested at the Double Tree Hotel on January fifteenth, while Barry Davis was caught on surveillance footage escaping from a side door of the hotel. Once in custody, Cedric refused to talk, but after his car was searched, police found ample evidence, including thirteen pouches of heroin, black guerrilla tape, a black ski mask with one hole for the eyes, and two way radios. One of the detectives went to a nearby Walmart to see if anyone had purchased two way radios recently. He found that not only had someone purchased them, but they also purchased bleach and ammonia and a canvas tent. There was video of Barry Davis completing the sale and walking out of the store with the items at nine thirty pm on December thirtieth, alongside Cedric Barry. It took a couple of weeks to apprehend him, but eventually Barry Davis was in custody too. Investigators had possession of their cell phones and were able to tie them to the times and locations where the crimes had taken place. La Wiggins was already in jail. He had been there since October twenty nineteen on the drug charges we talked about earlier. Police were able to retrieve Monique's voicemails from her phone, including the message left by Lisa Paulowski. One of the detectives recognized the voice right away. The woman's name was Elsa Segura. She was a former Hennepin County probation officer who had been fired for lying about an inappropriate relationship with one of her clients. The client was none other than La Wiggins. As part of the case they were building against Wiggins, the detective had been listening in on their phone conversations.
Speaker 2: This is kind of crazy. This detective had heard so many of their phone conversations. When he heard this call from Lisa, he was like, Oh, I know that voice.
Speaker 1: I was going to say the exact same thing. Like, that's really wild that he would just recognize this voice right away. Police brought Elsa in for an interview and she admitted that she had made the call from a burner phone to Monique, but she insisted that she didn't know what would happen next. She had no idea that Monique would be murdered. The phone us used by Elsa to make the calls to Monique was purchased by Cedric Barry and became active at approximately four pm on December twenty ninth. Cedric Barry was captured purchasing the phone on video surveillance and cell phone records show he was talking to Elsa, Segura, and Barry Davis while at the cell phone retailer. When Elsa's personal cell phone was searched, police found incriminating Google searches such as anxiety, legal immunity, incinerator near me, and confession times for basilica of Saint Mary Church.
Speaker 2: Coogling anxiety is an incriminating but in relation to those other terms, it's a little linkaging.
Speaker 1: Yeah, very disturbing that she was searching for incinerator near me.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Chante Davis, the wife of Cedric Barry, was later arrested on the charge of aiding an offender. She pleaded guilty and was sentenced to ninety days in jail. Eight people were identified as having participated in the murder plot, but only five were inevitably arrested. After Monique's death, Momo posted on Facebook rip queen with a broken heart emoji. He faced backlash online from people blaming his flashy lifestyle on her death. When talking to the Star Tribune, he said, referring to the arrest of Cedric Barry, I've never seen that Cedric dude in my life. I don't know him. I really want to clear the air. They've got me looking like a monster. They have it like I'm in a gang. I don't have a gang life background. It's like I murdered her. This has really hurt my heart. I believe this is all because of jealousy and envy. There are people out there that would rather see me dead than successful, even if it means killing the mother of my children. I knew Monique since she was sixteen. She was in her prime. We were just getting started. Wanda Williams Bow was devastated by the loss of her only daughter. In the months that followed, a bitter custody battle unfolded between Monique's parents, Quanda and Frank Bau, and Momo over legend and legacy. The Bows argued that Momo's involvement in the drug trade had indirectly led to Monique's murder and that his lifestyle made him unfit to raise the girls.
Speaker 2: And I can totally see where they're coming from here.
Speaker 1: Eric, for sure, we'll be back after a break.
Speaker 2: The first trial began in May twenty twenty one. Cedric Barry and Barry Davis were tried together. Prosecutors argued that the murder plot involved poor people and that each played an essential role. According to the state, Elsa Segura and Lyndon Wiggins were just as responsible for Mornique's murder as the two men who carried it out. If Segura hadn't posed as Lisa Polowski and lured Monique to the vacant house under the guise of a fake real estate showing. Prosecutors argued she never would have been kidnapped and murdered. John Mitchell Momo was the prosecutions for witness. Wearing a hooded sweatshirt pulled tightly around his face, he was combative on the witness stand from the outset. He repeatedly interrupted the attorneys, asked them to repeat questions that had already been clearly asked, and even blurted out that he couldn't believe taxpayer dollars were being used to defend the suspects. After sending the jury out of the courtroom, the judge sharply reprimanded him, telling him you're not helping yourself here, and later warned you were about three inches from a jail cell right now. The judge caution that if his behavior continued, he would be arrested for contempt.
Speaker 1: What do you think was behind this attitude that he had on the face.
Speaker 2: Facing the people that murdered his girlfriend and the mother of his children. I think he was just really upset. Yeah, Wanda Williams Bow also gave emotional testimony, wiping away tears as she described the agonizing hours she spent trying to reach her daughter, and the devastation of learning that Monique had been identified by her heartbreaker tattoo, and the the impact Monique's murder had on her family. Barry Davis's attorney argued that his fingerprint on the U haul's gearshift was innocuous. He claimed Davis had driven the truck earlier that day while transporting large amounts of marijuana, not while kidnapping Monique. After about three and a half hours of deliberation, the jury found both men guilty on all counts. Wanda wept as the verdicts were read before thanking the prosecutors. Injurors quote, I couldn't be more happy, she said, I miss Monique every day. At sentencing, both Cedric Barry and Barry Davis received thirteen years for kidnapping, twenty years for the attempted murder of John Mitchell Momo, and life in prison without the possibility of parole for the murder of Monique. At the sentencing, Guanda Bau gave a victim impact statement that in part read, I can only imagine what was being said to her? How many times she begged for her life. My baby was so precious. How dare they these defendants treated my daughter as if she was less than human. My daughter came face to face with evil. On that New Year's Eve. Before he was sentenced, Cedric Barry apologized to a Monique's family for the pain they had endured and said that he prayed for them but admitted no guilt. Quote, my heart is pure. I pray the truth comes out to miss Wanda Bau. I hurt for you, but you did not receive justice today.
Speaker 1: It makes me really ang curating, isn't it. I Mean, it's so obvious that he did this and to try to put up this facade like, oh, totally.
Speaker 2: I'm so sorry for your pain, knowing that he had a lot to do.
Speaker 1: With it, and it was just adding to her suffering.
Speaker 2: Already before standing trial for Monique Bao's murder, Lynden Wiggins was convicted in federal court of possessing with intent to distribute more than thirty three thousand counterfeit oxycodone pills laced with fentanel. He was sentenced to nineteen years in federal prison.
Speaker 1: Lyndon Wiggins trial began in the spring of twenty twenty two. Unlike Cedric Barry and Barry Davis, who were accused of carrying out the kidnapping and murder, prosecutors portrayed Wiggins as the master of the entire conspiracy. According to the state, he orchestrated the fake home showing, directed the others involved, and targeted Monique as a way to retaliate against John Mitchell Momo, whom he believed had betrayed him. Monique was never the intended target, prosecutors argued, she was simply the means of getting to Momo. The case against Wiggins was largely circumstantial. There was no DNA fingerprint evidence, eyewitness identification, or confession placing him at either crime scene. Instead, prosecutors relied on cell phone records, location data, surveillance footage, purchases made in preparation for the crime, and testimony showing that Wiggins directed the others involved. They argued that when viewed together, the evidence painted a clear picture of a carefully planned conspiracy.
Speaker 2: There is not a lot of evidence against la Wiggins here. It is all circumstantial.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it is pretty crazy that he was able to get all these people to do the dirty work for him and really keep his hands completely off of it. The defense attacked those connections, arguing the States case relied on speculation rather than direct evidence tying Wiggins to the kidnapping or murder. Despite those arguments, the jury found Wiggins guilty on all major counts. He was sentenced to life in prison without the possibility of parole. Elsa Segura was tried separately. She admitted that she had posed as Lisa Pulowski and scheduled the fake real estate showing using a burner phone supplied by Cedric Barry. She testified that Wiggins often treated her like an assistant, directing her to make phone calls, arranged travel, and handle errands. She described their relationship as controlling and at times abusive. Segura insisted she did not know Wiggins intended to kidnap or murder Monique. She testified that she believed she was helping him with something related to his drug business, not luring an innocent realtor into a deadly trap. Prosecutors countered that the circumstances made that explanation impossible to believe Wiggins had instructed her to use a fake name call from a burner phone, stay away from her own home while making the calls, and even destroy the paper containing Monique's information after the appointment had been arranged. After just a few hours of deliberation, the jury found Segura guilty on all counts. She was sentenced to life in prison without the possibility of parole.
Speaker 2: I don't know if I've said her age, but she was I think the same age as Monique. So she's twenty eight years old.
Speaker 1: Oh, she just threw away the rest of her life.
Speaker 2: Wanda again delivered a powerful victim impact statement at the sentencing, quote the defendant she actually could have been a hero. She could have warned Monique. She could have warned her that the showing was fake. The defendant had a choice, and she chose to please her boyfriend by sticking to the plan. The judge allowed a video presentation crafted by Monique's friends and family. Pictures of Monique's life scrolled by to the song I Was Here by Beyonce. In twenty twenty four, the Minnesota Supreme Court overturned the convictions of both La Your eyes are soaping right now of both La Wiggins and Elsa's Sigura ruling that in the case of Wiggins, jurors had received incorrect instructions from the judge before deliberations regarding the charge of accomplish liability. The justices did not find the evidence against him lacking. Instead, the concluded the legal heir may have influenced the verdict, entitling Wiggins to a new trial. His second trial began in October twenty twenty five and lasted three weeks. John Mitchell Momo again took the witness stand, wearing a hooded sweatshirt pulled tightly around his face. He glared angrily at Wiggins throughout his testimony and at one point called him a dusty bomb. Wanda Bou also testified. She candidly admitted that she had never been fond of Momo. She told jurors that he often used drugs, had been unfaithful too Monique, and failed to provide financial support for their daughters. Even so, she said she never wanted him dead. La Wiggins testified in his own defense. He denied any involvement in the murder, instead blaming Cedric Barry and Barry Davis. He claimed that Cedric Barry had planned to confess and tell authorities that La had nothing to do with the kidnapping or murder. I think that was true, but he never followed through with it. After about six hours of deliberation, the jury found La Wiggins guilty on all accounts. He was again sentenced to life in prison without the possibility of parole for Monique's murder. The judge also imposed a consecutive twenty year sentence for the attempted murder of John Mitchel Moomo and one hundred and eighty nine months for kidnapping. Wiggins continues to serve a separate federal sentence for fentanel trafficking. After the verdict, Momo told NBC affiliate Kairi eleven quote, I think it's unfair that I'm forced to come back and reopen wounds over and over again. The unspoken rule that everyone knows as women and children are off limits. I would have respected it if they would have killed me and left Monique alone. In Elsa Segura's case, the Supreme Court found there was sufficient evidence that she had aided and abetted the kidnapping and felony murder, but not enough evidence to support convictions for premeditated murder or attempted premeditated murder. Prosecutors had failed to prove Elsa knew the plan was to murder Monique Bao. Rather than face another trial, she pleaded guilty to kidnapping to commit great bodily harm and was sentenced to twenty years in prison. She could be out in as little as ten years or her plea deal. She was required to testify against Lais Wiggins. At Elsa's sentencing, Wanda again delivered a powerful, emotional victim impact statement. This was the fifth time that she delivered a statement. She said her daughter had been ambushed, kidnapped, tortured, and murdered because of a dispute between l A. Wiggins and John Mitchell Momo, a conflict Monique had no pardon. Wanda rejected the idea that Monique should be remembered in relation to Momo. Monique was not simply someone's girlfriend or the mother of his children. She said she was an innocent woman whose life was stolen because of other people's pride, rumors, and grudges. Wanda also spoke about the heartbreaking lass undered by Monique's two young daughters. She described how legacy and legends regularly visit their mother's grave, carefully cleaning her headstone a memorial bench, surround her photographs with rose petals, and become upset if they find ants crawling across her grave marker. Even at such a young age, she said, they fiercely protect the place where their mother rests. She ended her statement with raw emotion while asking God for forgiveness. She admitted she could not forgive the men responsible for Monique's staff. Her only wish, she said, was that each of them spend the rest of their lives behind bars before facing God's judgment. Here's a clip from Wanda's statement. It is very emotional.
Speaker 4: My name is Wanda, Wanda Wayne, spell wa and d e A. Do I have to spell it? Yes?
Speaker 2: Okay?
Speaker 4: We remember you from trial Handel thirtieth, twenty nineteen. I said good night and I love you to my daughter Monique Bell for the last time.
Speaker 3: This would always This would also be the last time her babies would sleep next to their mother.
Speaker 4: I still say good night to her and I tell her I love her. It's just to her picture and both of her girls. They say good night to her too, and they kiss and hug her pictures.
Speaker 3: And they sleep with her picture of their mommy under their pillow, and they both had to get each of their own because they would tussle over, so the director of the school was kind enough to make them each their own. Monique Glum being a mother, I tell her girls that often just how much she loved being their mommy. They have to take my word for it, because she's not here to tell them herself, and I know she would tell them every single day.
Speaker 4: I know she would.
Speaker 3: Legends money Monique's oldest daughter, Legend. She likes to pray, pretend and we had a little wand Princess wand and she turned me into a frog and I had to act like a frog. And then she turned me into her mommy and she said, I said, I'm sorry, Legend, I can't be your mommy.
Speaker 4: And she said, gim me do it, just do it.
Speaker 3: And then I put on my best Monique impression and I act.
Speaker 4: Like her mommy and said what Monique I thought Monique would say.
Speaker 3: And I picked her up and she whispered and hug me so tight and said, please don't leave me again.
Speaker 1: Well, that poor poor woman. My heart just breaks for her. And you could just hear it in her voice, how heartbroken she is, and the fact that she had to she had to deliver so many victim impact statements in all these different cases breaks my heart too, because for her it would it would be reliving this whole time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, she did an amazing job. Each day she had a new statement prepared. They were all just heartbreaking. Wanda Williams Bao, her granddaughter's cousins, Momo, and the rest of Monique's family are left trying to make sense of why she was senselessly murdered, but she continues to live on through her daughter's legacy and legend. In twenty twenty three, Wanda, along with her granddaughters, wrote a book, Rubian Onyx and the Magical Pillow Adventure. Monique was known for her love of food, her infectious laugh, her kindness, her sweet personality, her sense of humor, and her beauty. Rest in peace, Monique.
Speaker 4: So.
Speaker 2: Monique used to read to her daughters at bedtime, and they had this purple pillow and they would all, like, you know, get together and snuggle together on this purple pillow. And Wanda still has the pillow and so the book. I bought it from Amazon dot Com on the cover, it shows like the little girls on the Purple Pillow with their mom. I'm going to have you read the dedication because I don't think I'll be able to get through it.
Speaker 1: I will just say before I read the dedication, this is it's a beautiful book. And on the dedication page, it's a beautiful picture of Wanda Monique and legend and legacy. Here's the dedication to the most beautiful and loving daughter and mother, Monique Latrice Leanna Bao. You will forever live on in our hearts. Therefore you are with us on this adventure. This book is also dedicated to the children whose parent or parents are in heaven and who are living this life's journey without them. We pray this book will fill you with joy and excitement as you read about the Adventure on the Magic Pillow.
Speaker 2: Well, first of all, Monique's daughters' names, legend and legacy, it just seems so prescient. Yeah, definitely, almost uncanny, Yeah, for sure, because they are her legend and her legacy. I'm happy they're fortunate that they have a loving family. They're surrounded by, you know, their grandparents and all their aunts and cousins and other people to support them. But no grandmother really wants to raise her grandchildren. Yeah, she wants to be able to see her daughter and you know do it and just breaks my heart.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you can never replace her mom. But it is good that they have such a supportive environment around them. And the book is so beautiful. I love the illustrations in here of the two girls.
Speaker 2: Cute, those girls are precious.
Speaker 1: The how old are the girls now?
Speaker 2: I think they're seven and nine now. They were one and three when it happened, and I think the little one had just turned one a few days before Monique, yeah killed.
Speaker 1: It's so nice that I'm sure Wanda is doing everything she can to keep their mother's like, you know, memory alive for them because they were so young they wouldn't remember her themselves.
Speaker 2: But yeah, I think it's lovely. They kiss their picture, yeah, every morning and every night, and it is very sweet. Some people that blame Monique for her own death because she was with a rapper with a flashy lifestyle, what do you think about that?
Speaker 1: I think that's ridiculous to blame her for that. I can see blaming Momo a little bit, or being upset with Momo that he was involved in a lifestyle. Sounds like he was involved in drugs. It's definitely not his fault either, but I can't see blaming Monique at all for that. It's ridiculous.
Speaker 2: I think that the girls are being raised by Wanda and Frank, like they're not married, but you know they go back and forth.
Speaker 1: Okay, I was going to ask you about that. How that custody that.
Speaker 2: Momo is still involved in their life to some extent, but he doesn't know a lot about him. He hasn't made any new music in a while. Okay, this is going to make you really mad. He does have an Instagram and there were pictures of cash like that were recent, so.
Speaker 1: It's yeah, yeah, it gets me.
Speaker 2: It really bothers me because it's like, if you were going to take one thing away from this, you know, that's just.
Speaker 1: Not And he's still well known, I assume, like even if.
Speaker 2: He's well known, but you know, he's still I believe in the rapper community, Like I found his music on Spotify. What do you think about Elsa Segura's part in this plot, Like she was the one who made the phone call, Yeah, set up the realtor showings.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's one of the more intriguing parts in my mind. Well, a couple of things about Elsa that are intriguing. First, like, she you said she was a probation officer, right, so she had a legitimate job, and then kind of threw that away for kind of you know, going into a life where she was associated with criminals and you know, on the other side of the law. I guess, But I am curious about how much how deep her involvement went because I didn't hear any evidence showing that she definitely knew that Monique was going to be killed when by making this phone call. But at the same time, it feels like she must have known that, you know, something she knew.
Speaker 2: I think she must have known how mad La Wiggins was at MOMO and resentful of his success. I think she must have known to a certain extent what he was casing.
Speaker 1: So do you think that her sentence wasn't sufficient for kind of what she actually or her part in it?
Speaker 2: I question this all the time in these cases, like who is who is the guiltiest party, the one who shoots the trigger, mastermind or the people that are complicit. Yeah, yeah, I think she probably should have more time. Yeah, Unique's killers we apprehended so quickly in part because of the doorbell camera footage. Right, And this makes me question privacy versus safety. Do you feel like our desire for safety and security supersede our privacy?
Speaker 1: You know, it's a really good question, and I really have mixed feelings about this. Obviously, I'm so glad that they caught the people who were responsible for Monique's death. And I think in so many cases in modern society, it is the cameras everywhere that help apprehend killers.
Speaker 2: Or just feel like big brothers. Sometimes it does.
Speaker 1: I feel like it's sort of a conscious decision we've made as a society, which is maybe I don't know if it's the right decision or not, but it does feel like we've made this decision, like we do. We all want security, we all want to be safe, but really there is you know, we have sacrificed a lot of privacy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And they're saying now with AI that your face can be identified in almost any crowd that you well.
Speaker 1: I mean, I work in technology and I go to trade shows and there's you know, there's technology that you're walking around the floor of a trade show. You know, cameras can identify you immediately tell tell the people working who you are, go to your LinkedIn profile. So it's it's like it is scary how much information you have about anybody walking down.
Speaker 2: The street yew Before you go to the trade show, do you sign something that makes people aware that you know this technology is being used will be identified for sales purposes.
Speaker 1: I should say I don't know if this technology is being actively used. I have seen demonstrations of the technology, so I don't know if that is actually happening regularly, but it's it's out there, it's available.
Speaker 2: Do you think that the jury got it right with la Wiggins? I know you only know the information that I gave you of the evidence against him, but do you feel comfortable with him being convicted?
Speaker 1: I feel much more comfortable with him being convicted than I do about Elsa. I definitely have a few questions about the extent of her involvement, but with him, yeah, I have no doubts at all that he was the mastermind behind this.
Speaker 2: Before we wrap this case up, I wanted to mention shot Spotter, which we talked about, so we can ask you about that. I didn't want to stop the evolution of the story and talk about it. I had never heard of this technology before. The shot Spotter isn't an acoustic gunshot detection system used in more than one hundred and eighty major cities across the United States. It's installed in neighborhoods with higher rates of gun violence. The system uses a network of acoustic sensors mounted on rooftops and utility polls that detect when a gun is fired. Before police are notified, train analysts quickly review a brief audio clip to determine whether this sound is likely gunfire rather than fireworks or other loud sounds. The sensors are not continuously recording. However, they're not recording conversations, but they're activated when gunfire is detected. In Monique Bao's case, shot Spotter detected the three gunshots, directed officers to the alley within minutes, and helped investigators establish an exact timeline of the murder. The system helps officers to locate victims more quickly, recover shell pacings and other evidence before it disappears, establish accurate timelines, and identify areas experiencing repeated gun violence. Critics, however, argue that shot Spotter is expensive, can produce false alerts, and studies have shown mixed results on whether it reduces gun violence or increases the number of shootings solved. Several major cities, including Chicago, San Diego, Portland, and Seattle, have discontinued the service.
Speaker 1: Interesting.
Speaker 2: I feel as dumb that I've never heard of this technology before. But we do live in a rural community, right, you know, Yeah, we don't have it here.
Speaker 1: No of it either. It's interesting, and it is really interesting when you know, we were talking about privacy aspect, I was thinking, well, this is a really great application of technology because you're not really violating anyone's privacy with it. It's just detecting sounds and alerting someone, hey, something might have happened here. I don't know about like the expense of it and all that, but it's surprising that it's just surprising that some major cities have stopped using it because it seems like.
Speaker 2: It probably desensitizes police after a while too. You know, they have to go to these scenes and you know there's nothing there because all a lot of times too, like shots are fired, but yeah, no one is harmed and it's just someone shooting a gun.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm sure there are a lot of false positives with it, but that's really interesting.
Speaker 2: I do want to mention a show that I watched for this episode. I think that's where I came across it. Initially. It's called Me Hereafter. I found it on Hulu and there's only a handful of episodes, but it's one of the best true crime shows I've ever watched. It's just super thorough and it's also heartbreaking because it's Monique, you know, someone an actress who is posing as telling her story on the grave. Yeah. I highly recommended it's it's on our show notes here. But there's another case that I'm working on that I watched of this show, but highly recommended. It was beautifully done.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I haven't heard of that before.
Speaker 2: That's the heartbreaking story of Monique Bao. So at the beginning of the episode, we talked about the World Cup.
Speaker 1: Our predictions.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we really screwed up because the England loss good.
Speaker 1: Loss to Argentina in the semi finals.
Speaker 2: So now it will be Argentina versus Spain.
Speaker 1: So I'm going with Argentina. I'm my new prediction with Spain. I knew it was I thought it was going to be Argentina all along, Oh did you?
Speaker 2: Oh, yes, all right, Well there is a new documentary that is going to be released on July sixteenth and seventeenth. It is a new Scott Peterson documentary airing a an e. It's called The New Evidence, and that is what we are going to be doing this weekend. Oh boy, because I am like, what new evidence? This is crazy.
Speaker 1: I didn't know about the documentary, but I did happen to see an article today that was quoting Lacey's mom, Sharon Rocha, saying there is no new evidence.
Speaker 2: Well, I think that article was in People magazine, correct, and that was she was responding to this new documentary. And I do feel so horribly for these families that are constantly pulled back into the spotlight, you know, you know, every time there's any new article or documentary or whatever it is, that they're pulled back out of their private lives and are forced to make these statements and be subjected to the new show.
Speaker 1: And I'm sure it makes it really hard to move on, you know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but of course we'll be tuning in.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, I'm curious to see it.
Speaker 2: And if there is any one thing about the case that I'll say I think we did a pretty good job when we did our We did a three part series on it right back when. If there are things that weren't tested, I do believe that those things not in just Scott Peters, in any case, if there's evidence that could have potential, you know, ramifications of guilt or innocence, I do think that those things should be tested.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Absolutely, And I know there are a lot of people out there who don't believe that he is guilty. I'm not one of them, but I certainly think that. Yeah, like you said, anyone should have that opportunity to clear their name if there is evidence.
Speaker 2: But he has had so many opportunities, and it does feel like yeash, let let Lacy rest in peace, let her family move on with their lives. I've already started working on my next case, and it's a true Prime classic, and I'm really enjoying digging into all the research. But there's also a lot of shows and podcasts about it. And sometimes when I'm researching something, there's so much to consume, I will listen to it on one and a half speed or even double speed. I don't think you do that as well.
Speaker 1: I can't do that. I really I get the inpiration.
Speaker 2: Overload, cuckable, amazing brain.
Speaker 1: Yes, my brain is not good at processing information quickly, and so yeah, I have a hard time if I listen to something on one and a half speed, I just can't. I just can't process it.
Speaker 2: So I do all the time, and it takes me. I have to ramp it up, like I'll start at one point too, and then I'll gradually, you know, get to two point zero and it can't be everything, and I have to pause it a lot to take notes. But I'm curious if any of our listeners listen to us at double speed, or maybe you slow us down. I'm curious.
Speaker 1: I would think most people would speed us up rather than.
Speaker 2: Okay, let's get this over with. But I know some people listen when they sleep. Mm hmmm, well, not really listen, but use us to fall asleep.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and probably speeding us up wouldn't really be a good idea for that, I wouldn't think. Yeah, but I don't know. I'd be interested to hear what people how people listen.
Speaker 2: I also recently learned that most people who listen to podcasts I think it was eighty percent, say that they don't really aren't really listening, Like you're doing something else. You're you know, cleaning or doing your laundry or taking your dog for a while, and you're not really processing the information. A lot of people do say that they listen more than once.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I can see that, but I think in a lot of ways, listening to a podcast or listening to an audiobook or whatever while you're doing something else. I've read that your brain actually can do two things at once, as long as those two things are very like different activities. Like walking on a treadmill and listening to a podcast, you can do both of those things, or driving a car and listening to an audio book.
Speaker 2: I'm a fidgeter. I like to have things in my hand, and I think that helps my attention span. It maintains my attention span.
Speaker 1: I can see that there are a lot of things when I do listen to podcasts or whatever. There are a lot of times when I realize I have not processed anything that I heard in the last five minutes, and I have to go back.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I do that, especially with like NPR is on the radio and like I didn't get anything from that at all. Yeah, So ice cream for dinner.
Speaker 1: I think that's my plan. Yeah, that your plan.
Speaker 2: Oh probably not. Actually, I'm not as big of an ice cream lover as you are.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't know how ice cream is one of the greatest inventions of all time?
Speaker 2: Is it an invention or somebody? You know, invention and discovery are two different.
Speaker 1: I guess discovery.
Speaker 2: You're right, it is an invention because a discovery would mean that existed.
Speaker 1: It was sitting out in the forest somewhere and somebody.
Speaker 2: Oh look what's this stream of.
Speaker 1: Now whoever invention? It was a genius. I don't know who that was, but yeah, it's really brilliant.
Speaker 2: And what if your job was ice cream tester? Oh god, I got it work?
Speaker 1: Okay?
Speaker 2: Oh I cannot eat another because the whole idea of like being an ice cream tester would be like, well, they're not all keepers. Yeah, Like there was that gray poupone ice cream that right people were eating a couple of years.
Speaker 1: A restaurant I went to once then had like garlic ice cream. I don't think I tried it, but that sound awful. Yeah, being an ice cream tester that would be I don't know. I think I would enjoy it for the most part.
Speaker 2: You'd have to have a pretty rigorous workout routine.
Speaker 3: You would.
Speaker 2: Maybe you just you really don't eat the whole pint, no, you auful.
Speaker 1: The thing that I think about, though, is if you dedicated your life to being an ice cream tester and then, like what if you found out you were lactose intolerant, like, you know, twenty years into your career and you realize you couldn't do that job?
Speaker 2: You would just sit it out. Yeah, I feel like, you know, like wine tasters, you would have that ice cream spatoon.
Speaker 1: That just sounds sad though.
Speaker 2: Okay, well, thank you so much for listening. You have definitely wasted a good hour listening to us, but.
Speaker 1: We appreciate it. Find us on social media or on the web at lovemarykill dot com.
Speaker 2: Hey, thanks for all your great messages. We really appreciate it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we love hearing the voice messages that you can leave on the website. So yeah, feel free to leave us a message, tell us a joke. We're still gathering jokes that people have shared with us and we will share to the best of those. Consider supporting us on Patreon. Go to patreon dot com slash love Marykill. We have just one tier five dollars a month, and you get early ad free access, plus a monthly bonus episode until next time.
Speaker 2: I don't kill your husband and don't kill your wife, but stay hydrated. It's hot out there.
Speaker 1: The leading to the companion of the comput