Speaker 1: This is WBZ, Boston's news radio, redefining local news.
Speaker 2: Well, good morning, a little bit of a rude awakening as we get started this Thursday morning. It is six o'clock. It is snowing more than likely where you are. We've got mixed precipitation elsewhere and here in Boston. We're getting started at thirty four degrees on this Thursday morning. The News at six brought to us by your new England Toyota dealer, your hybrid all wheel drive headquarters. I'm Jeff Brown, and welcome aboard. We got ourselves a good old fashioned mess. So what snow and rain will say for off this morning? It'll become windy this afternoon with the clouds of breaking and a leftover rain or snowshower. At a WBZ acky weather meteorologist Joe Lundberg, a blast of even colder air is moving in for the weekend.
Speaker 1: Your most reliable news source for severe weather coverage is the WBZ Storm Center.
Speaker 2: Certainly, in the final days of fall, winter decides to show up with this mixed blast this morning.
Speaker 3: There's no miss thinking it white, fluffy, wet, that snow falling here in Greater Boston.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, yeah, it's definitely coming down for the first snowfall, it's definitely come down good.
Speaker 5: Today's I figured i'd get up this oneting to be not on the ground at all, nothing.
Speaker 3: Making unfortunately for some slick road conditions for commuters.
Speaker 5: Driving into stuff's the worst.
Speaker 3: Does it make you nervous a little bit?
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, even worse, he says, than these dismal conditions brought on by mother nature.
Speaker 5: See other drivers. Usually you get one lane, stay there you find. But when these people start cutting lanes, that's when you can't see them. That's the problem.
Speaker 3: Chris Fama WBZ, Boston's news radio.
Speaker 2: The Jackpod appears to be west of four ninety five.
Speaker 3: Yeah, walking around, lemmister, we're looking at around two to three inches of snow. Sidewalks at least where I'm at, covered in a good layer of white powder. Fortunately the streets have been treated and I'm looking too bad, just wet and slushy. Jake over here, he's going to be doing his best to make sure the roads are in good condition. Well, this is what we do for work in the wind.
Speaker 1: I'm heading in now.
Speaker 5: I know the rest of the public works guys were in all night long since eight last night putting salt down.
Speaker 3: And they did a pretty good job.
Speaker 5: It looks like they kept right up with it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Jake and his team are going to be busy keeping the streets clear, so he's asking folks to not rush and to drive safe. In Leminster. James throwhas WBZ BOSTON'SNOOS radio.
Speaker 2: So this is a clipper system notoriously. It is quite potent and is very quick moving. It'll be out of the way for us later on this morning. But in the meantime, the rain snow line has now collapsed. It is snowing and much of Boston and much of the South Shore as well the extreme south Shore Capean Island still dealing with rain and in pockets heavy rain at times. But this is the final stages and we are seeing some snowfall here in Boston. As of right now at Logan Airport, there are two dozen canceled delays, I should say on the board. Several school systems have either canceled classes or have delayed classes to begin today, mostly in central and West mass It's snowing pretty much everywhere this morning. As the system is quickly moving through the region. It is expected to be gone by nine or ten o'clock this morning, and we will be left over with whatever mess is in your driveway and sidewalks. And in central and western Massachusetts the totals have been up to about five or six inches of snow in isolated local areas, but elsewhere east of four ninety five, this has just been a wintry mix and a mess at that some mixed precipitation coming down for most of the storm, and that includes mostly rain. Here in Greater Boston at the current moment, it is above freezing at thirty four degrees and we will get into the low forties today, So whatever is frozen on the ground at least here in the immediate Greater Boston area will soon melt away because we're going to see these clouds breaking up for some sunshine this afternoon in a cold front is going to move in. Yes, it's going to get colder than this. Some of the coldest air of the season is going to be here tomorrow. We'll be in the twenties to start the day. We'll try to get into the mid thirties tomorrow with some sunny skies, but it will actually be a little bit colder with falling temperatures in the afternoon as cold air is going to stay with us right through the weekends. It appears looks like the long range forecast seems to see more readings in the forties coming up next week, so we'll wait for that and endure this Right now. It's snowing in Boston thirty four degrees at six oh six on this Thursday morning, as winter settles in. Wbz's Drew Mouholland this morning tells us it's a good time to understand what keeps us up at night.
Speaker 6: Restless nights. Can't sleep through the night, those starts and stops, Yeah, it's not good. Maybe you know the feeling, and one cause could be the hormone cortisol. This essentially has the opposite effect of melatonin, which helps us sleep. Cortisol wakes us up as part of our normal circadian rhythm. If cortisol levels are out of whax, so is your sleep.
Speaker 3: The waking of itself is not the problem.
Speaker 6: The problem comes in when you're unable to go back to sleep in a reasonable amount of time. Sleep expert Janie Kennedy. She suggests sitting up using a cold pack on your forehead. Maybe try one of those comm noises apps, and you can always talk to your doctor too. Drumholland WBZ, Boston's news radio.
Speaker 2: Experts say we might gain about five pounds this holiday season, But go ahead, indulge your chocolate fix just might be good for you, but watch what kind of chocolate you eat. New research says dark chocolate is better for you than milk chocolate and can help reduce the risk of type two diabetes. The study is one of the largest of its kind and reveals that five servings of dark chocolate per week helps lower the risk of type two diabetes by some twenty percent. Scientists really aren't sure why this occurs, but the report in the medical journal BMJ this week suggests it might be because dark chocolate has less sugar and more plant based compounds than milk chocolate. Well, Boston gets brighter by the night. Another tree lighting ceremony kicks off at six o'clock tonight, this time on the Common. It's the eighty second annual tree lighting, and it's thanks to a gift every year from the people of Nova Scotia, who continue to send us gratitude for the city's help in a maritime tragedy. More than one hundred years ago, which left thousands of Canadians dead. This here's forty five foot tall white spruce, features five thousand lights and gets ten times brighter when all of the common and public garden are lit up with a flip of the switch. Big news for an elementary school in South Boston. It's home to the Massachusetts Teacher of the Year.
Speaker 4: Welcome to Miss Sparrow's class. It's a place to make friends, have fun, and build your future.
Speaker 3: Miss Sparrow's specialty is special education.
Speaker 4: Bessie Commissioner Russell Johnston came down to the Oliver Perry School along with the Governor and the Mayor. She is always determined to help every single one of her students get as much joy, experience, and learning out of every moment possible. You can find Miss Sparrow's class exploring downtown or at a cooking class. She mentors other teachers, works with foster kids and elderly neighbors. And for Miss Sparrow, the real stars are these kids. You are the reason I do this work. I love you, she says. They inspire her to be a better teacher and a better human. We could all learn something from Miss Sparrow. In Southea. I'm Madison Rogers, WBZ Boston's News Radio.
Speaker 2: You are now in the loop for news updates throughout the day. Listen to WBZ news Radio on the iHeartRadio app. I'm Jeff Brown, WBZ Boston's News Radio.