Speaker 1: Welcome to the River Rambler, a production of Swinging the Fly magazine and sponsored by Jaymon Bamboo Rods.
Speaker 2: Welcome to the River Rambler production of Swinging the Fly Magazine.
Speaker 3: About five six weeks ago, I was driving between my daughter's houses and I needed at backing to put on a couple of reels.
Speaker 2: I needed backing on a couple of reels.
Speaker 3: And I'm driving up to the Catskills and I thought i'd stop into Deddy's fly shop that I hadn't met into and probably conservatively forty years, and I met Patrick Cook.
Speaker 2: Patrick, thanks for taking time to visit.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I wouldn't miss it for the world.
Speaker 3: So let's talk about, Uh, how you got started fishing and how steel hadder ended up in the Catskills.
Speaker 4: Yeah, right, Well, I grew up in Michigan, so I grew up doing everything Michigan kids do, which is Wisconsin. Wisconsin. Uh, I don't know. Fago. That's a Michigan thing, drinking fago. Uh. Pop guy, No, So it's good to hear somebody say pop though, you know. So it's it's soda soda here.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's the East.
Speaker 4: Yeah that was he.
Speaker 2: Already hammered with a parent thing.
Speaker 5: So so, uh yeah, I just grew up doing everything Michigan kids did, which was whatever, play hockey, go fishing, you know, everything outside at that time in the in the eighties, and I was lucky enough to grow up on a lake, and uh you know, fishing was just part of the whole thing, you know.
Speaker 4: Uh, me and whatever revolving door friends, we would just take the canoe out and fish for bass and whatever else. And I did that well, you know, well into high school until whatever girls showed up.
Speaker 2: Girls, Yeah you are you spin fishing? Fly fishing?
Speaker 4: Uh well, so predominantly spin fishing. And when I was whatever at my youngest, and then I have two older brothers, one of whom, when I say older, they you know, I'm in my mid forties, so they're about ten years older than me. So they were already in college or finishing college when I was whatever in my early probably early teens, maybe younger than that. Anyway, So one of my brothers moved out to Yack in Washington, and he came back with fly rod and we were on the Little Manistee River, which is north northwest Michigan, and you know, he wanted to go check it out. His fly rod and everything, and I was I can't remember how old I was, but I remember, you know, I had a little bay caster and you know, we went to the fly shop so that he could get flies or whatever. And then I got like a little popper thing that you couldn't cast with a bay caster obviously, and then I just was, you know, seeing him off in the distance doing it. He didn't want to be anywhere near me and my dad obviously. You know, it was just kind of like a whatever that river runs through a moment, you know what I mean, where you just see someone doing it and you're like, oh, that's no, that's what I need to do now.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, uh so, yeah, it was just it was heavily influenced by my brother. My other brother got into it as well. Then he ended up spending a large portion of his probably you know, post college years guiding out on the south Fork of the Snake. So I was lucky enough to be able to go out there and fish with him and spend summers out there with him if if I need, if need, be so pretty cool.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I wish my brother fished with me. No no interest, nobody, nobody in my family has any interest.
Speaker 4: I don't know, you know, if what we did, I don't know if there was more yelling at me than fishing, you know what I mean, Like it was, well.
Speaker 2: I got a little brother.
Speaker 4: Okay, yeah I too.
Speaker 2: I know what that's about. What are you drinking?
Speaker 4: Oh? It's so. One of the local breweries is called Upper Brewery, which is near the shop down and living I live in Roscoe, and then the shops down in Livingston, Manor, which we can get into because you know the shop from Roscoe. But anyway, there's a brewery there called Upward and this is a fishing buddy willow we mock Lagger, named after the Willowemoc Creek, which is one of the rivers that rolls through, which I'm sure you know from fishing down here.
Speaker 2: Yeah, not be on ages, but I hung out down there a lot in college.
Speaker 4: Sure.
Speaker 3: But so you're fishing the snake with your brother. You're fishing still in Michigan.
Speaker 4: Right, So then yeah, Steelhead, Uh, the steel I think probably came about a little later. I'm trying to think. I couldn't I couldn't nail down in an age, but I remember being old enough to drink. But it was you know, I was predominantly just ind indicator fishing for him up on you know, the rivers in northern Michigan, which.
Speaker 2: Luckily I wasn't gonna shame you into admitting that.
Speaker 4: Well, I think any any that.
Speaker 2: Was for the longest time that was in the Great Lakes, the thought that's how you had to fish for.
Speaker 4: If you even had an indicator. I mean that there was the chuck and duck method too, which is just full mono rig with you know, a rope of weight. Yeah, I remember watching I don't, I don't. There was some fishing show you know that popped up on YouTube from like the eighties or something, and they were on the Manistee and they were doing it, you know, and you're like wow, uh and then you know, but that was the most effective, most effective way they knew how to do it at that point. And but the thing about those rivers are you know, they're all old logging rivers, so that they aren't the easiest to fish, you know a lot. That's why a lot of those guys are swinging those rivers. Kevin Fienstra, you know, John Ray, all those guys, you know, a lot of the spade fishing has done from a boat, just because they've been so dredged out by by all the logging that went on.
Speaker 2: Is that what created that entry?
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, yeah, so it's it's really like you you're fishing more. I mean, we're kind of I think we're getting ahead of ourselves in terms of like the evolution of we skipped over a lot. But yeah, yeah, but yeah, it's all that stuff is pretty well dredged out by just you know, all the logging that took place there for the white pines.
Speaker 2: That's fascinating.
Speaker 3: I hadn't realized it was caused by us, which yeah, I thought I thought it was just a geologic, geologic kind of anomaly.
Speaker 4: Yeah, No, there was just I mean, I I don't let's lets let's say, don't quote me. I'm sure there's some geologic stuff that happened.
Speaker 2: You know, there's nothing, there's no mistake.
Speaker 4: Right, But you know, certain rivers are easier to like just wade swinging than others, but are definitely you know, like in Schedule Masters, where oh this is going to get me in big trouble. They go back to Michigan. Yeah, and they're on the man and they're fishing it from a boat. You know, it's just best attacked from that position. You can definitely wait fish all those rivers. But you know, if you want to cover water, which we all know is best for catching swinging flies for steelhead, you know, doing it from the boat is the best, is the most effective way to do it. Probably.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I think Kevin and a few other guys kind of uh pioneered that.
Speaker 4: It's it's crazy to me that that that ever approach before really with the history of spay fishing and it, you know, it took those guys that are still doing it now, you know what I mean, are that really we're we're pioneering it. It's just it's a cool thing and they really do a good job of keeping up that tradition there. So yeah, cool.
Speaker 2: See, Okay, so that's backtrack.
Speaker 4: Yeah, sorry, steel ahead. Yeah. So then, uh, I think it was just discovering the resource after a few you know a period of time, and knowing that you know, on the west coast of Michigan, you have all on the west you know, I was centered in Manistee, Michigan, So you would have four rivers, four to five rivers within you know, two and a half three hours from my parents' house at that time, so it was, you know, it was a real playground to do whatever you want. So a lot of a lot of driving around. Bobber fishing for sure, and then you know, the spade fishing thing. I can't I cannot like pinpoint it, but I think it was just being there and seeing someone else do it, you know, you know, knowing it was there. It wasn't like it wasn't like I was someone was like, oh this is you know, this is spade fishing. It was more just me being there and you know, I was. I remember actually I remember being it was a tippy dam and on the Maynistee River and I was on one side of the river, and across the river from me, someone was spade fishing and I remember seeing that and I mean like, well it looks like a switch rod, but there's no bobber on the end of it, you know what I mean. So then you start researching a little bit, and it was really kind of just researching it in my own and then that wormhole kind of really opened up and it was I mean, came over.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: It kind of is huh, you can't go back.
Speaker 3: It's funny because it is a far less effective way of catching fish than bobber fishing.
Speaker 4: No, it's it's incredibly less. But the thing was like water fishing the Maynistee probably unless you let's, unless you're using like a center pin rod, you're not going to catch a lot of fish anyways. I mean, you just can't get just not the most effective way to do it either way. So I wasn't catching a lot of fish. And then I'm like, I'm already not catching a lot of fish, so let's just continue that, but do it in a more poetic way, I guess, you know.
Speaker 2: And then.
Speaker 4: So are we gonna do we need to tie this into how I work at Daddy's eventually, Okay, yeah, this isn't a race. Okay, No, that's fine. Yeah, I don't know. I just kind of went out on my own and whatever, bought a space rod and just start doing it.
Speaker 2: You know the shop there that's.
Speaker 4: Well at that at that time, there's there's a shot there called at that point it was called Schmidt's, Schmidt's Schmidt Outfitters, and now it's called the Manistee River Lodge. But I think I ordered the rod online from somewhere. It was like a TFO a Deer Creek space rod. I did not buy it from Schmidt, which now looking back, I should have, but I did not.
Speaker 3: Oh it's That's one of the things about I think folks your age is that you guys came up when when the internet was just immediate thought.
Speaker 4: Yeah. Yeah, it was really easy, but it was It was kind of a interesting learning experience because I would go to Schmidt for to get flies. You know, so I'm researching it online and a lot of the stuff that comes up is is kind of West Coast stuff, and you're looking at all the West Coast flies and then you would go in I'd go into Schmidt and you.
Speaker 5: Know, a.
Speaker 4: Great Lakes steelhead fly is for the most part, vastly different looking from a West Coast fly.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So you're like, and I think, especially over there in Michigan, I think had a big influence.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, a lot heavily influenced by Fiendstra and you know that.
Speaker 6: Yeah, oh god, yeah yeah that well, you know, eggs sucking leech being the basis for a lot of the flies, Like you know, Dave has his.
Speaker 4: Eat a peach leech, and then Fiendstra had the gape, the grapefruit leech or the Halloween leech, and it's it's all kind of more leech centric, more or attractor if anything, you know what I mean, because we all know there's it's rare to find a leech swimming around with an egg and it's you know, sucking on an egg. So it's never seen it personally. Someone else might have. I don't know, but I've.
Speaker 2: Seen I've seen a snake eat a fish, but I have not seen a leech eat an egg.
Speaker 4: And the sculping stuff there is big too, though, And then you know the thing, the whole thing with the gobies, you know, and being an invasive species that kind of took over. Really. I think that's kind of when you know, you see more. The more realistic patterns would be those representing you know, goby or sculpting like that, and those all those work equally as well.
Speaker 2: That's I found it. I mean, I haven't fished in Michigan, but in New York where I fished for a long long time. Yeah, sculpings and crayfish, oh yeah, get pounded pretty.
Speaker 4: Hard, definitely. Yeah, the the bait fish, certain rivers we we know of here in New York that don't might not get a salmon run and those fish are especially grabby. Yeah, and they're really looking for a shiner or something like that that that they're used to seeing out in the lake, which is great, real fun.
Speaker 2: So, uh, you were buying flies? When did you start tying?
Speaker 4: Well, it was actually right around the time. So when I went and bought a fly rod, see my brother do it. I bought stuff to tie flies as well. I was like, you know, I bought a few flies. They had, you know, like a mosquito or whatever, and so I bought a few of those, and I'm like, and I bought some supplies to tie them. But you know, I was I was fishing on the lake and that we grew up on and I learned two things you need well you don't need advice. But at that point, like I was just doing it, you know, if my hands or whatever, you know.
Speaker 2: So there was an Adrian Cortes here you can tell.
Speaker 4: Well, I didn't have I didn't have it, but I just bought the stuff to do it. And I'm like just lashing stuff to a hook. So I learned that a you're gonna fly as you should get the right stuff to do it. And be as you're watching your fly dissolve and fall apart in the water, bluegill will still chase a bare hook. So that was that was eye opening.
Speaker 2: Are the gift to beginning tires and fly fishermen.
Speaker 4: You know, I've said this about this is probably should come up later in the conversation, but growing being here in the Castles now is it's so eccentric. But there's also like some phenomenal small mouth bass fishing in the area. And you know, we get people new people that come into the shop and they're like, oh, yeah, I want to get a fly rod, I want to trut fish. Okay, that's great, let's do the fly rod. But have you thought about small mouth bass like there they'll eat anything. They don't care like, they're very forgiving to a new angler, and they're like, that's cool, but where do I catch trout?
Speaker 2: I'm like, okay, fine.
Speaker 3: It's funny that the my my first fishing buddy that I used to go down to the Catskills with from when I lived up near Rochester. We'd be down there and all of a sudden he just get lit up and be going like crazy, and he'd be all excited and he'd go, oh, it's a small mouth, and I'm.
Speaker 2: Like, look what it's doing.
Speaker 4: Yeah, they are definitely definitely one of my favorite game fish. They you know, in the summertime. I don't for a trout year round here, but I definitely pulled the cut off for my own personal conservation reasons. When you know, certain rivers get too warm or the pressure gets heavy, and I just start swinging flies for small mouth and god, it's so fun. I mean, they eat they really like a palm skater, which I've learned recently. We last summer, we were practicing for our trip to the Shoots down and so we were skating a lot of different foam skaters and they will just crush those things midday, full sunlight, just no whole bar like.
Speaker 2: So, well, it's funny. I'm firm believe that you'll probably catch more fish subsurface, but I pretty much only pass fish on top.
Speaker 4: Yeah, why would you do so fun Yeah, I mean it's they'll eat it most of the time, so you might as well just it that way. But yeah, they're they're just they're they're the perfect fish. But you know, I think the Lord of the catskills makes you want to skip that part of the deal. But you have you'd have success a lot sooner if you gave them a chance. That's what I'm saying. Yeah.
Speaker 2: So, so did you go to school in Michigan?
Speaker 4: I did, Yeah, I went. I went to school. I started out in philosophy, and then my philosophy professor at the time, Conna, said, well, if you're going to continue with this, you can do two things. You can either drive a cab or be a lawyer.
Speaker 3: Or I was going to ask, was it was it college professor or lawyer that you're raiming for?
Speaker 4: Yeah? Right, well, at that point, you know, I was then I kind of switched over to getting into more English and so kind of carried on down that road. I and now I work in a fla shop.
Speaker 2: But there's something dropped. Yeah, so what got you in cat skills?
Speaker 4: Uh? Well, I actually I moved to New York City for a relationship and that didn't pan out. So I spent you know, some time still there, and then uh, you know, I pulled the ripcord. Eventually. You know, I was driving up here to fish all the time, and I was actually working. I would drive up I was working as a carpenter, a set carpenter for film and photo shoots in the city, and then I would drive up here to work part time on the weekends at a fly shop, not at the deadI shop, but at a different shop. I would drive up, so I'd work during the week as a set carpenter, and then I would Friday after work, I would drive up to the Catskills to work part time at a flight shop up on the Delaware system. And then after a couple of years of that, the owner of the shop at that time called and said, Hey, I have a full, full time position. Do you want to take it? And I said, yeah, well, now let's do it. And that's kind of how it happened. And then I worked at that shop for about I think it was about three years, and then managing that shop. And then it was kind of actually like during the housing crisis during COVID, you could not find anything up here to rent, and I was renting a place up on the Delaware system, and because everybody was real you know, the real estate, everybody's leaving the city and the real estate market was going crazy, there were I needed to I was looking for a new place to live from the place that I was currently living in and there was there was nothing for rent. Everything was in airbnb now or someone was working remote from their house or something like that. And so a friend of mine came in the shop and you know, we were just talking. I was like, well, I'm just you know whatever, I'm trying to find a place to live currently. And he said, oh, this buddy of mine just moved out of this spot down in Roscow And I came down and looked at it and yeah, yes, it's perfect, done deal. And it just so happened to be directly across the street from the deady house. So I continue to work at the other shop for another year after that, but then you know, kind of slowly, slowly, just kind of building talking more and more with with Joe Fox, who owns the shop now, is a great grandson of Walt Eddy, and it kind of just came up in conversation that if I wanted to make a move, I could, so I did.
Speaker 2: Nice. Yeah, so it's actually still owned by the by the original.
Speaker 4: Family, Yeah, it is. It's all current owners are Joe Fox and Kelly Booked. They are uh engauged and Joe. Yeah, Joe is the grandson of Mary, great grandson of Walt and Winnie who were the original original owners of the shop. Yeah, so ninety seven years and the family owned at this point, which is pretty crazy all things considered, especially now. Yeah, yeah, that's it.
Speaker 2: That's just amazing to think about. It is and it's it's funny, probably even more so in the.
Speaker 4: Trout World, right, Yeah, I mean the the fly fishing for Trout World has really moved so online, big box online. You know, Joe had to work really hard with another employee at the time, Bran, to really modernize the shop and get it to a point where it could it could compete with you know what's out there now everything is so online centric. You know, you have to really be able to manage your inventory well to be able to keep up with the other shops that are out there. So obviously huge change from where everything started with, you know, Walt, Winnie and Harry Darby just tying flies kind of order based back in the thirties Ornee nineteen twenty eight actually, and then involves into what it is now. You know, so the original shop was actually you probably went to the one that were in the middle of this of the street as opposed to the original shop was on the end of Cottage Street.
Speaker 2: And well, as I recall, it was the front porch of the house.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, yes, the one, the one most people know is, you know, the the sixty eight Cottage Street, which is you know, you go in and you go to the left and there were the tyings tables set up there, you know, very limited product obviously, and then the fly binds and that was it. And then there was always obviously someone in their tying, whether it was Walt, Whitney or Mary probably would have been what you spent the most time.
Speaker 2: Well, and I.
Speaker 3: Guess it's funny just talking with Johnny King, I've all known that I've.
Speaker 2: Only recently started tying flies from other people. I always wanted to fish my own flies, especially when I was.
Speaker 3: A trout guy, so I could go in and buy, like, you know, two of three different patterns so I could learn to tie better. And the and especially the Catskill style had such an aesthetic, the tiny, slim body and the almost non existent head, and yeah, to get that and figure out how to do it was, you know, and the little neck, you know, never a crowded eye.
Speaker 4: Yeah that was big, leaving room to tie the knot a lot of people say it was to do etertal knot. Uh Mary, well, Mary or Whinnie would say they just wanted to make sure to leave enough room for you to tie your knot without trapping the hackle, so you could you could go a couple different ways with that. But yeah, I mean more of the catskill dry fly. I mean it kind of transcends most areas of fly fishing, you know, just seeing it's such an iconic still a wet Yeah.
Speaker 2: Well, and back in that era everything was based and they're just worth as many patterns.
Speaker 4: No, Yeah, that that's where I mean you had you would see a lot of wolves things like that. Yeah, you know, and or you know, the catskill the kind of what you know of the cats skill fly as it is with the wood duck wing and the palmer tackle slender body like you said, or a quill body. It's just it's just such an elegant profile of a fly. It's it's just and you know a lot of people only tie and fish those, you know, especially out here there's there's definitely guys that are there not they don't they don't waver from that, you know, we had like the comparadiwn revolution that took place when how Kucci and Bob Nostazi did the Hatches books, which I'm sure you know, but those were more centered around more of like the Delaware fishery, you know, and I guess let me think about how to frame this if you think about this area as a whole, the catskills and fly fishing, and the Deadies and the Darby's who were the other husband wife team, the Delaware system, you know, the tailwater system we have here that didn't really come about until the sixties, like mid sixties.
Speaker 2: Late sixties, and also developed prior.
Speaker 4: Right right exactly, so that there was more center around you know, the beaver kill and the Willowe Mock. So also the other thing you can take into account in that is that back at the at that time nineteen twenty eight up until I'm not really sure this is going to show my age, but the only way to get up here was by train. You know, the average person didn't have a vehicle, so it was it was definitely a seasonal thing, so they would spend their winters, you know, time flies for orders, and then you know, those people would come up in the summer to spend take the train literally up here and then to come up and fish for the weekends and stuff like that and pick up their orders and go to the shop and stuff like that.
Speaker 2: It's funny. I think they had arondecks was very similar.
Speaker 4: In that era right where were people come. People would take the train all the way to the from the city or were they're coming from from. The likes all.
Speaker 3: The lodges and stuff that the around that guideboat developed after the Civil War when it was kind of the first time there was a class of people with enough money to go on vacation and it kind of took over logging up there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, just amazing history. That's completely changed now.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, much much has changed.
Speaker 3: So let's take a quick minute and when we come back, we'll talk about your steel a flied.
Speaker 4: Dyg Oh sure, yeah.
Speaker 1: Patrick Lukoba of Jay Moon Bamboo Rods is located down in southern Oregon along the Rogue River in Grant's Pass. That's where he spent the last several years developing tapers for three Bamboo's bay rods. He builds a light ten foot eight four weight trouts bay, a sweet eleven foot six six weight summer steel ed rod, and the one I like to call Little Thunder his eleven foot eight weight Coastal Special. They're all hollow built and have what I love in a spe rod, a stiff tip, and junk in the trunk. He also builds a powerful eight foot six weight single hand rod for those of you might want to take a two and a break and throw big drives or streamers or small mouth bugs. Patty can be found at jay moonworks dot com. That's works with an ex jay moonworks dot com.
Speaker 2: So we're back and uh, I don't know if any of you guys.
Speaker 3: Are connected with Patrick on Instagram, but if you are, you'll see exquisite uh classic steelhead flies and uh let's talk about how trupp Bum got to there.
Speaker 4: A well, well it's actually it was Trey Comb's book.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I picked that up Steeled fly Fishing up and I just couldn't set it down, you know, and so I just started working my way through that. You know, at the shop, we're always time flies, and you know it's in order. Like being up here in the wintertime can be pretty harsh, so you get kind of you end up kind of branching out a little bit just to keep yourself. Same with learning to tie different flies. And I just I just got into that book and I couldn't couldn't not tie a fly that came out of that book. You know, it was just reading the story. It's the same as the catskill flies.
Speaker 2: You know, there's a very different but it's also a very strong aesthetic.
Speaker 4: Same but different. Yeah, one hundred percent. You know. The crazy thing is that McNeice actually came here to learn to tie the cat's skill style fly.
Speaker 2: Really.
Speaker 4: Yeah, he actually took a trip out here because he wanted to learn, you know, the deady style of time catskill fly. But back to I just thought of that because you know, now we're talking.
Speaker 2: Because I think McNee especially is such a clean tire.
Speaker 4: Yeah, agreed. Uh, and that made you know, the cats the clean style out of the catskill fly. May have contributed to that. I don't know, but uh, I started out tying like obviously the Great Lakes patterns, and then from there got in Oh.
Speaker 2: Do you remember that with the two horns. Yea, it was like a wooly worm with a back.
Speaker 4: Yeah. Uh. Michigan, Michigan is a weird place, you know, they call it the Michigan Cattus is actually a mayfly, you know what I mean, Like, it's just a it's an interesting, interesting place we do it. We do it our own way there. So you know, I was tying inster pattern stuff like that, and then I just found that from tying uh whatever cat skill style dry flies or trout dry flies, you know, the the precision of that transfers into tying steel steelhead web flies.
Speaker 2: I do think.
Speaker 3: When I was in college, i uh tied a fly fishing class and a fly time class at the college that I went to the leisure learning and uh I was a super shy kid, and I realized that doing that, I knew more about it than anybody in the room.
Speaker 2: And I didn't have to know everything.
Speaker 3: I just needed to be If I didn't know something, I'll tell you next week, I'll find out. And but teaching people to tie when proportions are everything sure, and and with with a beautiful classic steelhead fly, it's the same.
Speaker 4: It is with a catskill style dry fly, less is more and that definitely coincides with with a steelhead webfly. You know, controlling your your proportions. Let's the fly breathe. Our joint friend Barret Names always says, you got to leave room for the water. Yeah, and it's in you know, you you tie a fly and the shoulder is too big, and you watch it swim and it will all that will collapse behind it. It's like that woman in a convertible where you know her hair is actually blowing the opposite direction of I think I always picture like for some reason, like Daryl Hannah. I don't know if that existed in a movie, but like being in a convertible and the hair blowing the opposite it creates that vacuum and sucks everything back the opposite way. So controlling the.
Speaker 3: Drove my dad's MG in high school, okay, a little convertible, and that caused me lots of grief with.
Speaker 4: I've been like, I don't know what an MG is. That's gonna oh, it's a little.
Speaker 2: Tiny sports car.
Speaker 4: It was a sixty three MG B.
Speaker 2: It was just a oh, a scream of a car. Dad walked on.
Speaker 3: It was Morse Garages, and there was the A and the B, and I think it was the B was more of the you know, home model, and the A was a little souped up, a little tiny, little bit like driving a sardine can around. But it's super fun. Yeah, And there were so many problems with the car, and we didn't have a mechanic in the house, despite the fact that my grandfather was a mechanic. But my brother and I just had so much fun in that car. It was literally about it probably would have fit in the bed of my Tacoma.
Speaker 4: You know we have the same truck. Did we talk about that, Yeah.
Speaker 2: We did. I just got I just got a camper for the back.
Speaker 3: I'll show you a month. Yeah, I gotta go fast camper for the back.
Speaker 4: Well, you got the long bed, so you have, Yeah, I have the short belt.
Speaker 2: You can.
Speaker 3: My nephew is just lusting over the camp and he said, well, I don't get the short bed. And I'm like, I'll make it for that too, because you're sleeping up above the wedge opens.
Speaker 4: Oh okay, now I see what you're saying. Okay, so I'll have to see it to believe it. Yeah, sort of thing.
Speaker 2: No.
Speaker 3: I just when I was out west Last, just a couple of weeks ago, I rented a twenty twenty four to Comba and it's got an even shorter bed.
Speaker 2: Really, it's like a four and a half foot bet. It looks like a super.
Speaker 4: U brat what years yours at twenty seventeen, Oh, mine's twenty eighteen, but so basically the same truck.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 4: I will say this though, if your serpentee belt, if you ever run into an issue with your serpenteem belt and you take it to a mechanic, make sure they put the OEM belt on it.
Speaker 2: I thought they had a chain belt.
Speaker 4: Now, uh no, they have a whatever, regular whatever serpentine belt. And it's like a known thing.
Speaker 2: That don't like, don't get talked into replacement.
Speaker 4: Right, yeah, knock on wood for you if you ever go on to Coma World or whatever. There's a whole thread about it that, like they put on the NAPA belt, it's just going to start squeaking again immediately, like it happens like from winter to summer. And so like I had like had being the operative word. I had like a local mechanic that I trusted. Yeah, and then I just kept taking it back there. I'm like doing it again. He's like, all right, well it's covered under works you, So I'll just put the same belt on it and then we'll do it again, dude again. I finally got onto Coma world and they're like, oh, yeah, you got to get the OEM belt. It's like a known thing.
Speaker 3: So just saying, uh, yeah, I drove a two thousand and four until we look every moved back here. That was one of the years that had frame trouble, and so I didn't want to bring it back here in the Salt, and I sold it with three hundred and eighty four thousand miles on. It broke my heart that things got at least another hundred in it. But the Serpentine belt went on that on me when I was on the road and made.
Speaker 2: For a very frustrating day and a half. Stuck.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it'll do that. My brother had I think he had two thousand and five, and he got that thing up to like five hundred thousand miles and like just changing the only the only thing bad that happens, like the door handle pulled off. Eventually.
Speaker 2: You know, where does he live?
Speaker 4: He's in Boise Item.
Speaker 2: Oh so it wasn't Salt, Yeah.
Speaker 4: No, probably, you know it was.
Speaker 2: Probably probably five hundred thousand miles.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I couldn't tell you. Yeah, but yeah, So when I got my he's like, yeah, change the oil. You know, you're good.
Speaker 3: Yeah, That's that's why I'm a Toyoda guy, because that's that's the extent of my automotive knowledge.
Speaker 2: I'm good with a fat tire and outside of that, I need no.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I don't. I don't. I don't want to get involved in many more than like pointing to point, p oh.
Speaker 2: See, I always want to build tear a vehicle apart. And uh.
Speaker 3: I think my my grandpa lost his garage in the Depression, and I think my father always associated that with struggle, and so get away from that, get away from manual labor.
Speaker 2: And I'm someone who likes labor.
Speaker 4: My dad, my dad always said if there was one job he could ditch digging only because you knew what the job was from start to finish. You were just there and you dig it. You dig a ditch and you're done. Yeah.
Speaker 3: And and you can be good at it, or you can be kind of sloppy at it and you're probably still going to get through the day.
Speaker 2: See. I got two stories free. One is grown Up.
Speaker 3: Johnny Quest was one of my two cartoons, and Johnny Quest and Hodgi, which are a pretty racist character, but they traveled the world with Doctor Quest. And Doctor Quest was this brilliant, semi befuddled guy, and Race Bannon was his dude. It was his right hand man. You know, fire any weapon, fix any vehicle, drive anything. And I always, you know, dreamed of like a Race ban in life, not working for doctor quest, just be able to do all that stuff. And then at a gas station in Florida one year pumping gas, enters a guy putting gas in a sixty.
Speaker 4: Seven land Rover okay, and I'm.
Speaker 2: Looking at it, and he sees me looking and just gives me a nod.
Speaker 3: And because I'm me, I start visiting with him and I said, I heard you can get parts for those any place in the world. Within two weeks, he goes, you can, and I said, it sounds like you have and he goes, yeah.
Speaker 2: The first time I rebuilt the edgine, I was in Kazakhstan. Oh, no shit, I said, wait what he said, ye rebuilt the engine in Kazakhstan.
Speaker 4: Wow.
Speaker 3: I'd never done it before. So it took me about two weeks to wait and then about a month to do it. But everybody was friendly and it was just a great trip. And then I had to do it again a few hundred thousand miles later, in South Africa.
Speaker 4: Wow.
Speaker 3: And I said, you're driving through South Africa. Well, I drove Africa top to bottom.
Speaker 6: Wow.
Speaker 2: And I'm thinking, what life does this guy have? Said? What do you do for a living?
Speaker 3: And he looked kind of embarrassed and he shrug and said, I've never had to work. So he said, Trustafarian making the most of it.
Speaker 4: Right, independently wealthy. Yeah, quote unquote, but man, doing it right, bless it's hard.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that would be amazing.
Speaker 4: Well yeah for me, it'd be like doing that, but like driving from like BC to somewhere, you know, or driving up to be fishing.
Speaker 3: And it is funny that at one point I wanted to go everywhere, and every year, every year older, I get it narrowed down.
Speaker 4: Same, definitely same. But but yeah, so the the thing.
Speaker 2: Wait wait wait, we're not done with with stealing flies yet.
Speaker 4: We're not done. Okay, continue.
Speaker 2: So so you've got kind of you. I've I've seen you since we met, which hasn't been that long ago, but I've been following you. Yeah, pretty consistently put up classic ties. But you're throwing some one of your own twists in there.
Speaker 4: I do, I do, I just well, can you can you give me an example.
Speaker 3: You just put up a kind of a variation on Thompson River cantaism is really sweet.
Speaker 4: Oh sure, yeah.
Speaker 2: And maybe that's just a pattern that I'm not aware of, but uh, I'm intrigued by. I learned it.
Speaker 3: When I learned to tie, I wanted to tie everything and I and I I tied stuff for fishing. I was never going to fish for.
Speaker 2: And then at some point it got taken over by painting and I quit time as much. But I still am fascinated by use some materials and different techniques, and I still, to a minor extent, keep up on it.
Speaker 4: So so the one I the one I just put up was it was a fall cat. It was Lamar's fall cats, Okay, and that that one like, So the Thompson River caddis is one where you tie the it's got a flat wing, yeah, the flat wing, and then the fall caddus is like a tented wing. And then I when I was originally tying them, I wasn't. I felt you know, it was it was. I thought it was faster. It's just clump the the moose body hair on them, you know, like you would do with a muddler, just spin it. But then I you know what, I was like, you know what if I'm gonna do this, I'm gonna do it like he does it in the DVD and spin it in the loop. And what I found with that is that you get a better variance the esthetic. Well, the aesthetic of the fly changes because if you're clumping it, you're gonna have.
Speaker 2: A denser head.
Speaker 4: Yeah. Well you're also going to have like a stage of the finer hair and then a stage of the thicker butt ends right, Whereas if you spin it in a loop and do it the way he did, it's yeah, it's all varied and you get like this, I think the water moves through it better, you know, because it's not you can skate it, but it really fishes best down in the film. Yeah, yeah, exactly. So you're you know, like you know, going through my mirror wormhole. You know, I'm looking looking at it like it's a muddler or something that you're going to wake across the surface. When the reality of it, it fishes so much better fund of the surface and looks better, I mean, aesthetically looks better when you when you spin the spin the hair in a dubbing loop and it's it's not that difficult to do. You just have to take time with it and thread tension. I don't know if to say, you know what I mean? Gravity is is your best friend always in fly time?
Speaker 3: Well, and I think I found uh was spinning in a loop. I set my loop up and put it. I use a hook rather than a camera what you call the spinners. But and I can't remember the name of the hook. It looks like a little shepherd's crook. Okay, But I put that in there to hold the loop up and want prep in my hair.
Speaker 2: But I wax first, sure, yeah, and then I wax again before put the stuff in.
Speaker 3: And I think that second code of wax sticks better because the first cut has kind of adhered, and then it ends up being way easier to get your hair to stand the loop.
Speaker 4: That and like a gradual you just like go that loop. It's gonna explode.
Speaker 2: Excluding exploding hair. My other big deer hair tip.
Speaker 3: I'm it's one of the allergies I still have pretty strong. In a family full of people with hay favorite animal allergies, I'm pretty lucky that I don't have many. But deer dan drift gets me.
Speaker 2: I'm a relack.
Speaker 3: But if you take a dryer sheet and squeeze it over your squeeze your dear hair through it before you start cutting, it takes the static electricity out and doesn't stick to you. Oh it's made a huge difference because I enjoyed.
Speaker 2: I enjoy time, but I avoided it for like probably fifteen twenty years until I figured that out.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I always just carry around, uh you know, I have cats, so it's cat hair everywhere. So I always just carry around a lint roll or whatever and all myself. But I found the moose here. It doesn't it doesn't. It's not. It doesn't. It's here adhere to the human body.
Speaker 2: It's oh no, and it's different. It's spin too.
Speaker 4: Yeah. Yeah, I really like And then when you I don't know, man, it just looks it's it's you know, they we're talking about iconic cat skill flies like to me, like an iconic steelhead fly to me, like, that's what I see is that either whatever Thompson River caddis or the Fall Catus or something like that. It's just you're just like, dude, I want to fish that you can't not. Yeah, I can't not look at that fly and be like, I don't know, like it just looks good.
Speaker 2: Man. I'm making making a note here, I'm making a Barrett note.
Speaker 4: Okay, let the water, let the water, Let the.
Speaker 2: This is for me to remember. Ask him a question. I just I just sent Evy a package yesterday.
Speaker 4: So okay, cool, So let's talk prospect. Sure, yeah, are you doing.
Speaker 2: That right in the middle of classic catskill waters?
Speaker 4: Yeah? Yeah, you know. It's like, don't get me wrong, Like I love like I love single hand fishing for I love watching a trouty the drive fly. There's no feeling better in the world than whatever matching the hatch here in the catskills with.
Speaker 3: Wait wait, wait wait, this is this is a steeled show. Who gives a ship about that crap?
Speaker 4: Right right? But don't give me wrong. I love watching just sip a dry fly like you can't you can't, you can't, you can't miss that. But you know, the catskills are so they're very hatch specific. It's really so you know that those because the hatches are so dense. Here the trout gets so keyed in on a specific bug. This is going to lead into trout space to just give me a second. So a lot of the time spent in the shop is problem solving with the customers. Which fly the fish are actually eating, which version of the fly? You know, where the especially if you get catties involved, you know, if they're eating cats six inches under the surface, so you got to fish it under a dropper or you gotta you know, coming out of that every day after work. You know, you can get a little little cooked from it. Like you know, the drive fly fishing. It's like after that, like stepping into the river and just spayfishing and swinging and fly and let it. Yes, letting the fish make the decision for you. Is it's just it's the best thing that it just slows you down. After that that whatever eight hours of you know, making helping people problem solve you're like, there is no problem. I swing to fly. I know that a fish may eat this, it may not. But if my job now is to make a somewhat a fishing cast, swing and fly, take a step, and then just do that again, and then look up and look up in the mountains and sometimes you get them, sometimes you don't. That's you know, there's not the expectation drops. So much when you put a spade rout in your hand that you know, the weight is immediately lifted off off your shoulders, you know, and then you're like it becomes more so much more about like I just made a I just made a ship cast. So now I'm gonna work on that for twenty minutes, and I'm gonna work that kink out, you know. So you're you're you're just stepping in, swinging and dealing with your own strikes and gutters. I guess you know what I mean. Yeah, it's and it can be very good and it can be very bad. Same as any other spade fishing. You know that that when the hatches are really dense, the trout won't really move too far out of their feeding lane, so it can be difficult to get them to chase a fly. But the other thing about it is looking for different water than the guys that are are there strictly to dry fly fish. So you know, you're finding fish that are more opportunistic and they're gonna chase a fly out of some pocket that they're in behind a boulder or something like that, and so it gets you away from people too. At the same time, I just at this point in my life. It's it's it's like that median in the road. You know. It's like when you're when things get hectic and you find you now a car would like make noise if you cross the median, you know. I feel like that's the spay rod and it's like it gets slow down, like wake up.
Speaker 2: It's funny.
Speaker 3: I took a break from fishing in my thirties because I didn't have the right mind to be contemplating how my life was off track.
Speaker 4: Sure, because life.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And when I got back to it is when I really started steel heading hard. That was not my only focus, but like ninety six and a half percent of my focus. And the biggest thing that changed through that was I no longer had to catch a fish to make my day, and that is to me still, I loved a single hand cast, probably more than I loved to single hand fish. But if I'm single hand casting, I'm probably more focused on where's.
Speaker 4: The fish, and I to think of.
Speaker 3: It the same way. When I'm steel heading. I'm still looking for fish, but I have a much more relaxed mindset about it, and it makes it a much more relaxed endeavor.
Speaker 4: Sure, Yeah, I mean when there's when you drive single hand dry fly fishing and there's a fish up in front of you, Like, I'm not I'm not gonna say that it's not relaxing, but it's definitely not the level of intensity that comes with it, you know, and especially here because you know we're two and a half hours from the city, those fish get a lot of pressure and they get picky, and you know, you may only get a few drifts over that fish or it's going to go down. It adds it definitely adds a level of intensity to the situation, whereas if you're just going out and swinging a fly like the fish is, you're just allowing the fish to make the decision at that point whether or not it wants to eat right right, And that's other than that, you know, watching your loop go, I mean, there's no better feeling in my mind than like snake rolling and watching that loop just go and you're like, whoa, that was a good one, you know, and then like next thing, you know, it's like a whole new day.
Speaker 6: You know.
Speaker 2: Well, it's actually too.
Speaker 3: One of the things I love about it is if you screw up, about three minutes later, you have another chance to be as good.
Speaker 2: As you can be.
Speaker 4: Sure. Yeah, And when.
Speaker 3: I probably my first ten or fifteen years of fishing the Spay Road, I kept a novel jam down in the front of my waiters And when I completely fell apart, which still sometimes all of a sudden I can't do anything, I would sit down and read and have a little few SIPs suburban and read a few pages and step back in again and you know, just completely reset.
Speaker 4: Yeah. One of the things that I've learned more recently, actually, like after doing it for X min of years, I just I just thought of this because you brought up the novel thing is that I had a friend that I fished, my friend Craig Buckby, that I fish with. He He's like anytime that you you know you're casting starts to fall apart because you start to drift, you start your your pop hand is beating a drift too far to the outside, and you're losing You're losing all that everything. Should you know you want to stay in the box, right, The best way to do that is pretend there's a Bible under your arm. And if you and so I find when my casting starts to falter, you know, I pretend there's a book under my arm, and then that keeps everything tight, and you know, next thing you know, you know, you're reel in. Pretend there's a book under your arm, and then start working your stuff back out, and then next thing you know, you're a it's a whole new stretch of river that you're fishing with a whole new cast, you know.
Speaker 2: So it's funny.
Speaker 3: I had never thought about it that way, but I struggled so much to quit us.
Speaker 4: Well, that's what it comes from, especially here because you have.
Speaker 2: To because you're single hand fishing most of the year.
Speaker 4: Well I was. In order to get better at space casting, I had to start limiting that.
Speaker 2: Oh, but I quit for years.
Speaker 4: So so here you have to present the fly downstream to the fish. You know, you're doing a downstream reach gas, which means you're extending your arm up and over. So that would transfer into my space casting where my my top hand or my armpit would completely open up to make this downstream reach cast. I was essentially just doing the spey rod, and then you know, the rod's losing all of its power at that when you're doing that, you know, because you're you're everything is is so top hand centric at that point, so you know, uh, pretend there's a book under your arm thing. It's really you're you know, you're right. Your top hand really makes your bottom hand become so much more dominant, and like in the double space too, because that you know, you're using your bottom hand then to move everything around. It's also, oh, gives you a better back cast by doing the same thing.
Speaker 2: Right. It's funny that.
Speaker 3: Mice told me years ago that uh, I think it was a Scottish Gilly had told Mike Kenney just put your arms like this and pretend there's a belt around you, right, sure, And.
Speaker 2: If you've seen any of the old videos of Mike Kenny, yeah, yeah, it looks like there's an oak tree kind of blowing slightly in the wind, a beautiful loops are going out.
Speaker 4: It's there. There's like the phone booth analogy to where you're stuck in a phone booth and you can't you know. But yeah, really so, but back to the trout spath thing in general, we we actually actually have like it's you know, everyone knows it's a niche thing obviously, Like it's not it's not huge because I don't know that people get into trout fishing to limit their catch of them obviously, Like it's not like, oh, let's go not catch trout, you know, I Like, nobody's doing that. But so you end up finding friends that are just out there because they want to cast, you know. So we have a nice crew Johnny, Johnny who you talk to the other day is part of it, and we all get up get together myself, Johnny, Craig Buckby obviously, and then everybuddy Joe, and then some days we'll meet up and we'll have the trout space. And then some days it's like, you know, there's a group tag and everybody's bringing their long rods or something and we're casting the tributary that day, you know. So it's it's more, but definitely more about just hanging out and having fun casting, which is which working in a fly shop, you know, every day. It's it's a really relaxing thing to just go do that with your friends and there's no expectation whatsoever of catching a fish.
Speaker 2: Well, I think it's funny.
Speaker 3: For for decades I mostly fished alone. And when I moved back out West, I just through good luck, through the internet, I ended up I I kind of have three groups of fishing.
Speaker 4: Buddies out there, okay, and there's some.
Speaker 3: Overlap, but it's become much more social and I was actually surprised how much I enjoyed.
Speaker 2: I fish way more intently when I'm alone, but.
Speaker 3: I enjoy it just as much with a couple or three friends and half a dozen or ten people at camp at night.
Speaker 4: Sure, yeah, yeah, for sure. It's nice to look over and see your friend just sitting on the bank. Yeah, you know, because like some days we'll go and like, you know, you may or whatever whatever you were dealing with that day, you may have had whatever crap day or something, and you're out there just hair them it away at it and it's not working. You look over and your friends just sitting on the bank enjoying the scenery, and you're like, what am I doing out here? Like I'm just going to go chill out for five minutes and then you know it's night. Friends are great for that, And then some days you just want to be there to see your friend catch a fish and take photo for them. And that's definitely one of the things that the spadefishing gives you is because of the lack of fish the individual experience becomes so much more. Whether you're just out there, we're all just sitting around casting or trying somebody's rod or something. You know, it's just so much more about that, about that specific moment, you know.
Speaker 2: It's it's funny. I think he's probably twenty years ago. I was walking on the beach with my axe and down in Florida, and I had a rod with me because there's always a chance you're gonna look out and see a snook. Yeah.
Speaker 3: But a guy comes up and I see him give me the eyeball and he comes H'm said, oh, brother of the long rod.
Speaker 2: And I'm like what, and uh he says, well, I see you're a fly rodder.
Speaker 3: And I'm like, uh, yeah, I'm just out here with my wife. And he goes on and on about tarbine fishing and.
Speaker 2: I he said, what what rod is that?
Speaker 3: And I don't even remember what rod it was, but I said to him, I said, what do you think She goes, oh, I don't know.
Speaker 2: I don't actually have a rod. I use the guy's rod.
Speaker 3: And I realized he's probably fished for tarpain one time. But I find spade doesn't generally have those people or further down the rabbit hole. Yeah, and the and nothing against that guy. I don't really want to talk fishing with him, but he might have been perfectly fine otherwise.
Speaker 2: Sure, but I think the spake community is just that much more nerdy and odd.
Speaker 3: Chances are you have a little more in common with them.
Speaker 4: It's like trekkies.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we need a hand symbol.
Speaker 4: I don't know what it would be.
Speaker 2: He looked at two hands. Oh man, what's the work that?
Speaker 4: Yeah, No, it's it's it's it should be a thing. Yeah, well, I think Bridge kind of has it. I think Tim with the cross fingers is you may have figured it out.
Speaker 2: I've got my own, but that's just kind of my own.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think he kind of figured it out. But but yeah, so I don't know. I really like I fished the knob, the the twelve foot four weight, which is kind of like my du all for it, and I just it's the thing about trout space is it's thinking you're taking a what would normally be like a thirteen foot seven weight rod that's capable of normally throwing like five hundred something grains, and then scaling that down into something that's like fun too. Trout up. Yeah, but so it's it's it's been I've been doing it. It's rare to find a trout space that actually functions like a space rod does, and that no, I'm forty one twenty is is really really like a very one of the closest representations of a of a you know, it just acts like a space rod does, and your timing doesn't need to change when you switch over to it from A from A from the long route or from the from the big pole. So that's been really nice. Thomas and Thomas has one too. Their DNA trout space are one of the only other ones I've found that really like, you know, as a if you were a someone who would notice the difference between a you know, a full size space rode in a trout space rod, you know, you would pick that up and be like, wow, this is this is like such a good representation of what a spade rod is capable of, but put into a little trout spade package.
Speaker 6: You know.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so I really love fishing that one. I've been fishing the next cast lines a lot lately. But the scientific angler, like the little scandy lights, Yeah, those are like if you were to try and like getting it, getting into it or something, you know, like those little scandy lights. Scadget lights are just a perfect gateway drug to it. The Scadget lights, like even in like a three hundred grain rod, you can you know, you can throw T fourteen or something with it. It's surprising what those things are capable of.
Speaker 3: As as long as that heads short enough, you can you can carry some freight.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: It is kind of funny though that when you're fishing that small you probably don't need fourtee.
Speaker 4: No, you don't, but sometimes it's nice.
Speaker 2: How so I hear?
Speaker 3: I actually have a lot that I've never had a lot a few that I've never got a chance to play with much.
Speaker 2: But the ambush taper has kind of a cult following with a few people.
Speaker 4: For sure. The ambush is a great line for it. Definitely. How light does that go that gets down into the three hundred grain range? I think actually there was a one seventy five. There's a one seventy five you can go down to.
Speaker 2: Oh there is, yes, but that's the neighborhood I'm looking at for.
Speaker 4: Oh really, Okay, I have joke.
Speaker 2: Joe Catalano is a young rod builder out of Detroit, and he built me just a sweet little uh ten I think it's ten ten to six.
Speaker 3: It's probably a one weight, and I'm really struggling. I'm struggling to find a line for it. I have a couple to try. I've got a one hundred and I think it's one hundred and sixty grain spadelight scandy that they don't make anymore that I found that I want to, Okay, but I'm curious about that ambush.
Speaker 4: The ambush would be good. But the other thing you might we might when you are neandering your way out this way, so is the triangle taper short oh, which is a really short I mean it's a single hand line, but it's geared towards it's made for bamboo rod, so it has a really short head on it and it almost acts as like an integrated scandy. Yeah, so that would definitely be worth trying. We've we've had quite a few people looking at those as you know, like kind of an underhand scandy option, and lately because of because of the taper.
Speaker 2: It's funny. The airflow used to make forty plus yeah, a single hand line, and I used to that line and I don't think they're making it anymore.
Speaker 4: No, they don't make it.
Speaker 2: They don't make it.
Speaker 4: That was a great line. Yeah, I love that line. I liked it for even just uh trout fishing.
Speaker 2: It was I used it stripper fishing with a nine weight intermediate. It was killer. I wish that was I wish there wasn't such a push on boys coming out with new because they they end up giving up some really wonderful stuff.
Speaker 4: Yeah. Well, that's the good thing about Wolf is that those tapers have not changed for so long. So hold on, I'm losing it, losing my train. Thought here.
Speaker 2: That standard for me, So don't worry about it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but I would, Yeah we can, we can cast some stuff. I wouldn't. The ambush could be really good. But with he said it was one way.
Speaker 2: It's like it's like a five weight single hand. I just ordered. I just ordered a scientific Anglers like small stream.
Speaker 3: I think, oh yeah, it's got like a twenty eight foot head.
Speaker 4: Yeah. The creek, it's like a creek something and it's.
Speaker 3: And the other one I'm wandering about is uh it was it a Scottish line?
Speaker 2: Barrio?
Speaker 4: I don't know, I don't know.
Speaker 2: Barrio has a switch line. It's supposed to be really, and they can streamline too. Yeah, the the Wolf, I'm curious about that. I'm coming to.
Speaker 4: The creek line the freak Trout or whatever I say he called it.
Speaker 3: I'm parcel there because I used to illustrate Jones column and Roden reel.
Speaker 4: Really. Yeah, did not know that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was. I used to meet she and Lee and the holiday in in uh oh, what a blank in the name of the town. It's slightly south of.
Speaker 4: Binghamton, Portland, No, along seventeen.
Speaker 3: Yeah, slightly, but I'd take pictures of her and and Lee would be kind of grumpy and.
Speaker 2: United to visit, and she wouldn't know me from a hole in the ground, but they were. It was fun to get to know them a little bit.
Speaker 4: Sure, Yeah, definitely, No, we shouldn't. We should explore some some wulli fi, especially if you're there's some of the salt water tapers as well, like there's the Bermuda short, which would definitely be work worth looking into, especially if you're going to use it for any warm water fishing.
Speaker 2: Well, a little one weight it probably won't, but I've got I've got a twelve foot two weight Angler's roost to build, Okay, so that'll be fun.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And then I've got a couple of Miser four weights.
Speaker 4: So when you come out here, we'll have to go buy the museum and well, we can go down into there because they do they have the whole raw bamboo rod making classes down in the basement, so they have a full fully equipped down there.
Speaker 2: Oh cool.
Speaker 4: Not to mention like all the framed flies that are down there, but we can go down there and poke around and you can check out some tapers down there and stuff.
Speaker 2: It'll be fun, be fun.
Speaker 3: I'll bring when I was when I was talking to Johnny yesterday, he was saying, I have all the rods I need, I said, bamboo.
Speaker 2: He has done that, and I'm like, whether you're not done yet?
Speaker 4: Yeah, and I have.
Speaker 2: I have Chris Obachowski Quad single hand.
Speaker 4: Okay, I'm gonna bring just a fore you guys.
Speaker 3: To play with, because it's it's got a four to five and a six weaight tip and glass faral so it's a it's a really interesting rod.
Speaker 4: Oh Okay, Okay, we have.
Speaker 2: If you think bamboo is slow, it will blow your doors off.
Speaker 4: We have the Wolf Bamboo Special too. I don't know if you've ever cast a Yeah, it's a nice line. Yeah, so we have that. We also have like a long belly, classic stuff like that too.
Speaker 2: I'm just I'm just not married to a classic approach. So I'll throw I'll throw a new way forward in a heartbeat if I if I like it on it.
Speaker 4: My my favorite single hand rod I own is actually a Frankenstein of a prototype of the Scott Radiant called the Dreamland. And then the top two sections of it are an old loomis U G l X and it's like.
Speaker 2: Did you combine it? Yeah, take the broken tip there was.
Speaker 4: That's how it started, but then it just became this. It's my favorite rod to cast at this point, so you know it's it's a two P like. I can't travel with it obviously because certain certain pieces had to be glue together to make them all fit. But it's it's my favorite signal hander.
Speaker 2: What wait is it?
Speaker 4: It's a five weight?
Speaker 2: That's pretty funny.
Speaker 3: It's when I when I worked in a shop, I don't think there was a guarantee yet.
Speaker 2: And you know, when you broke your rod, you buy a new rot sure.
Speaker 3: And I think there was a lot more experimentation then, I bet there was. I used to always carry chopsticks with me because you could. You could take out a pocket knife and slice your your GRAPHI or slice your chopstick down and jam it in.
Speaker 2: And get through a weekend.
Speaker 3: And I will knock on wood here because I only ever broke one rod.
Speaker 2: It was up in Alaska, but uh I fixed.
Speaker 3: I think three different rods for people with chopstick enough to get you through a trip.
Speaker 2: I mean, it's nothing you can.
Speaker 4: Want to leave long term, No, but I mean that's good to know now now I know too. I would never I never would have thought of that. It's like it's like the shim free shims.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's probably swiped from.
Speaker 3: Somebody in the era when I was just like absorbing everything I could about fly fishing. Sure, So so you guys have an event coming up?
Speaker 4: We do, Yeah, we're doing like, uh, I don't I don't have I don't know, really have a name for it. I don't want to call it a space clay because I don't know if it would be that. But we're gonna have a little spay event at the shop June sixth, Predominantly June sixth, will have some vendors out Barrett with Nams coming out. We'll have all the rods other rods we carry in the shop set up as well, from Thomas and Thomas, Hardy, Echo Scott, and we'll have a really nice row of tires as well. Some local guys, some guys come traveling to come here, some local uh, some guys high in you know, the classic steelhead and salmon stuff, as well as a few friends of mine coming down, like Adam Slevinsky coming down from your old neck of the woods to try some great lake style stuff. And then Barrett, we'll be doing a presentation. Craig Buckby as well. We'll be doing a some some presentation. And I think we're getting Melinda down from Melinda's too cool. We're trying, really trying hard to get hurt come down and talk a little bit about the Salmon River and uh, you know, it's a little bit of a work in progress, but happening. There's gonna be a grill, definitely some beer. And there's actually a lot of stuff going on in the Catskills that weekend as well, so there should be a lot of people around, so it should be really good time. Really looking forward to it.
Speaker 2: At the shop, we're down by the water.
Speaker 4: No, so well, the good thing about the shop is so we have the pavilion. We have the shop and then we have like a pavilion type thing out back, and then we have the on so you'll be able to cast out on law. But then we also have wi Willowe Mott Creek right across the street.
Speaker 2: Oh cool.
Speaker 4: So it's it's kind of you know, Saturday, it's kind of if you want to go over and cast in the water, because well, you know, that's really the best way to test out a rod, you can do that. If you just want to grass cast, then that's fine too. And then Barrett, like I said, Barrett Craig and a few other people will be doing presentations and then Sunday, I'm trying to do some kind of more specific clinics that people can sign up for, and that stuff will all well all I'm hoping to have that stuff all up on our website here probably for the next couple of weeks, and people can just kind of sign up for those Sunday clinics where be more specific to either trout spay or let's say, sustained anchor casting or touching go casting. Just something that's a little bit more specific to you know, different areas of spade fishing.
Speaker 2: That sounds awesome. So so how do people find the shop?
Speaker 4: Uh so in the Catskills Daddyflies dot com if you are. We're located now in Livingston, Manor, New York. We're thirteen Main Street, Livingston, Manor, which is oh it's about two and a half hours from the city, right on the willow Wee Moc. We're ne Yorpe's Grocery Store in the post office.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: It's actually funny that I still remember the first time I went to Roscoe.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I was just steeped in Jersey history.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I get to Roscoe and I'm like, this is it. It's just a quaint little town.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: The funny thing is it still.
Speaker 4: Is it's still the exact same there's you know, at that time, there was probably the Antrim.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I used to stay there.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so now that was the bar. But now there's a bar called the Junction that we can go to that everybody hangs out at and that's kind of a fishing bar. Now.
Speaker 2: Well, I stand at the Entrum Lodge. It was probably h forty years past its prime.
Speaker 4: Yeah, well, I mean it's it's still there, it's all boarded up. I think people, you know, there are multiple people have made efforts at revitalizing it, but I think there's just unfortunately too much, too much work that needs to go into it. If anybody doesn't know what the antrum is, it's just kind of part of the historic lore of the Catskills, just just this, you know, it was It wasn't I wouldn't call it a hotel, right.
Speaker 2: You know what I mean.
Speaker 4: It was like set up like more like a bed and bed and breakfast, but also had a bar.
Speaker 2: And I think, as I recall, you get breakfast.
Speaker 4: Yeah, he got a room.
Speaker 2: It was almost a dorm room, right.
Speaker 4: It was a communal bathroom.
Speaker 2: Yeah. But it was also when I was down there official with my buddy O'Brien. I mean that was just part of it.
Speaker 4: Oh sure, Yeah, because you stand.
Speaker 3: In the hall in the morning wait to use the bathroom, and the other two guys standing had also been fishing all week.
Speaker 4: Yeah exactly, and there's you know there. It pops up in all the books too, you know, the Sparts Gray Hackle books. You know, it just became one of those you know the where everyone went after they were fishing, and you know, tall tales and big fish stories.
Speaker 2: The first place I ever had an old fashion.
Speaker 4: Oh no, kidding, all right, I it predates me, but I love looking at photos of it. It looks looks like a place I definitely would have would have hung out at, for sure.
Speaker 3: It's it's funny, but well, I like in a northeast Oregon. Uh is a lodge that was my grandparents.
Speaker 2: Back in the oh no, back in the thirties, and it's been mostly boarded up forever.
Speaker 3: I think it's condemned now. And my siblings and I've always dreamed of like how do we how do we get that and fix it up?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 3: And you know it's just not it's just financially possible.
Speaker 4: You need to be independently wealthy. I think, like the guy try driving across Africa that kind of money.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, and decide you want to live in a really remote place that most people.
Speaker 2: Don't go to.
Speaker 4: Sure, so well, great visit man, Yeah yeah, I had a great time. I'd love to uh do it again and looking forward to seeing you in June.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Fun Wise, it should be actually, I mean, hatch wise, it should be pretty good too, Green Drake's March Brown's Golden stone flies, so we actually might run into I was excited about the sculping hatch.
Speaker 2: We could do that too, but maybe the crate fish hatch.
Speaker 4: But I'm talking about skating flies. Oh, the golden stone flies are going. We could, we could.
Speaker 2: Awesome? Yeah, cool on, be good man.
Speaker 4: Alright, you to the.
Speaker 2: River Ramblers production of Swing and Fly. Visit swing tofly dot com for all the best swung fly and spadcasting content on the web and in print.