Speaker 1: Are you ready for the traffic Apocalypse? Are you ready? Have you stored up your food, have you stored up your gas? Have you put away your pets? Are you ready for the traffic apocalypse which is coming for all of us tomorrow here in southern California. It's later with Mo Kelly kf I Am six forty Live everywhere on the iHeartRadio app. You've heard by now that just about anything with four walls and an entrance is going to be hosting an event tomorrow, Tomorrow day, Tomorrow evening, and Tomorrow night, most notably the World Series Game one Dodger Stadium. And if you're not of a certain age, you may not understand just how special this particular World series is.
Speaker 2: I get it.
Speaker 1: You may say, Okay, it's just another World Series. Yeah, I've been a Dodger fan for twenty years.
Speaker 2: Big deal.
Speaker 1: They won the World Series in twenty twenty. Let me give you some perspective. Of course, you've heard by now that it has been forty three years since the Yankees and the Dodgers met up in the World Series. But it's very rare for the two teams with the two best records to meet up in the World Series. It's even more rare to have the two teams with the two best records in all of baseball and the two best players.
Speaker 2: In all of baseball.
Speaker 1: The Dodgers have presumably the National League MVP in Sho Hail Tommy. The Yankees have presumably the AL MVP and Aaron Judge. And you have, of course Otani's record breaking season, which has never been done in baseball before with the fifty home runs and fifty stolen bases. This is a moment. I always talk about living through history. If you didn't know it before, you should know it now. This is a historic moment in the sport of Major League Baseball, and it's even bigger if you're a Dodger fan. I'm old enough to remember the last time the Dodgers and the Yankees got together in the World Series. Did you know the pitcher who won the Rookie of the Year that year was Fernando Valezuela. Did you know that same rookie one Cy Young was unheard of that year, Fernando Valezuela. And did you know that Fernando Valezuela in his first eight games as a rookie, through five shutouts and eight complete games, and his era was zero point five. It arguably is the best start to a pitching career in the history of the sport, no exaggeration. And yes, the Dodgers are going to honor the late Fernando Valenzuela tomorrow Game one. So there are a lot of historical points which are all coming together tomorrow at Dodgers Stadium. It is a huge deal in LA. It's a huge deal in New York. Think about it this way. Do you know why they call Reggie Jackson mister October. It's because he hit three home runs in Game six to clinch the World Series against the Dodgers in nineteen seventy seven. And yes, I watched that game and I cried myself to sleep that night. I remember the agony of the Dodgers losing in nineteen seventy seven, in nineteen seventy eight to the Yankees. I remember the elation of the Dodgers finally beating the New York Yeats in nineteen eighty one, that same season in which from Nando Mania took place. It's a big deal, and not only baseball, but in sports entertainment. And I was thinking a lot about Fernando Valenzuela today. I was thinking a lot about Vin Scully today and how they might have enjoyed this moment if they both were still alive. And I came across this clip from about maybe seven years ago, and let me set it up for you.
Speaker 2: Like this, Vin Scully had gone out to the mound and he.
Speaker 1: Was going to, at least as far as we thought, throw out the first pitch for the game.
Speaker 2: That's all I'll tell you. Listen to this.
Speaker 3: Oh wait a minute, Oh my gosh, I think I heard my rotailor cover.
Speaker 2: I can't do it.
Speaker 3: I apologize, I'm really sorry, But like all the managers in this game, I'm gonna have to go to the boat end. I need I need a left hander to come out here and help me.
Speaker 2: Is there a left hander down here?
Speaker 3: Oh my gosh, Fernando Vilin's well.
Speaker 2: Can you imagine.
Speaker 3: One year he had eight shutouts, another year when he won twenty one games, he had twenty complete games. Twenty I feel like I'm almost defiling the I'm gonna get out of the way. Fernando Champion get one over for me.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, I like it.
Speaker 1: Tomorrow is going to be an impactful day for Angelino's Tomorrow is going to be a memorable day, and for many reasons. If you're like me and you grew up a Dodger fan, there's probably a familial or parental connection. I can't think of the Dodgers without thinking about my late father. He was the one who introduced me to the Dodgers. He was the one who took me to Dodger games, took me to watch Fernando Balenzuela pitch, took me and explain how to score a game.
Speaker 2: And these are the memories and thoughts.
Speaker 1: That I'm quite sure you're going to have as well, because I know that my memories aren't exclusive to me. You may remember when the Dodgers clinched the Pennant. I had Brian Blackmore, who was the assistant program director for our partner station AM five seventy LA Sports, where you will be able to listen to all the Dodgers' action during the World Series. And we told you the story of how our fathers were the same age. They were born, the same week they passed, the same week. They loved the Dodgers their whole lives, and it's almost like they were the same person. But for many people here in southern California, Tomorrow will be a way to not only remember the past, but also salute the present.
Speaker 2: It's going to be a very, very emotional moment.
Speaker 1: Given that in nineteen eighty one the Dodgers and Yankees last met in the Fall Class SIIC, how much was on the line in nineteen eighty one. The feeling back then was the Dodgers just could not beat the Yankees. The Dodgers would always choke you if you old enough to remember. In nineteen seventy eight, they thought they were going to break that Yankees curse. Back then, the Doctors won the first two games and lost the next four, and then in nineteen eighty one they were able to break through because of people players like Fernando Valnezuela. This hasn't been seen in baseball, given the stakes, given the history, given the tradition of both franchises, Given that you have a show Hail Tani and Aaron Judge. Both of them are in their prime, at the top of their game, having fantastic seasons. They will be both first ballot Hall of Famers when all is said and done, you can quote beyond that and this is going to probably be, let's just say, definitely be the highest rated World Series of all time, because there is so much, from the history to the president which is going to just overwhelm all of.
Speaker 2: Us in this moment.
Speaker 1: If you are just a fan of sports, you don't even have to be a baseball fan. If you're just a fan of sports, you will not miss this World Series because not only do you have these great historical figures playing the game, but there is something special which is going to happen during these games, and history is happening right in front of us. I hope you don't miss it and don't have to hear about it from someone else. I hope you don't miss it and then have to go to YouTube and see it secondhand. I hope you don't miss it and say, oh my gosh, I should have listened to MO and actually watched the game and watch history as it was happening live, because this, you should know in advance, is going to be one of the greatest moments in baseball history because of all the things which have led up to this very moment. It's later with MO Kelly KFI AM six forty Live everywhere on the iHeartRadio app and when we come back, we got to tell you why. It's not just me, it's probably you two while we're all freaking out about going back to standard time, and how that has physical implications.
Speaker 2: In fact, people.
Speaker 1: Are having heart attacks because of the change back to standard time.
Speaker 2: Will tell you why and will tell you where.
Speaker 4: In just a moment, you're listening to Later with Moe Kelly on demand from KFI AM six forty.
Speaker 1: If you like me, you're probably freaking out right now, but at least you're not alone. There's a new poll which finds that two and five Americans that's me and maybe Stephan, probably two and five will experience daylight saving scaries as they're called when we're prepared to fall back in Novembers, just about maybe a week and a half away. The survey of two thousand Americans revealed that forty percent feel a sense of dread when preparing to set their clocks back by an hour, and this feeling lasts much longer than just one day or two after the time change. The results of the poll also find that this sense of dread sets in about eleven days prior, as in like today, to daylight saving time ending starting around October twenty third this year, as in yesterday, when did I talk about this?
Speaker 2: I talked about this yesterday. It's exactly, it's exactly. I thought this.
Speaker 1: This is speaking to me, This is about me. It starts October twenty third, and we won't get over to it, get over it the people who are suffering from it until about thirteen days after the fact.
Speaker 2: It's like jet lag, but longer and different.
Speaker 1: Thirteen days and you won't be back to normal until November sixteenth. And that is assuming that you actually survive it. And I found this report. This is from last year, so it may sound off and they throw you off a bit, but it's from last year talking about how there is an actual physiological response to daylight saving for a number of reasons, and also the legal fight political fight to have us either stay at standard time or remain at daylight saving time the whole year long. But we tried, We got it through the Senate, but the House would not pass it, and so we are stuck with going back and forth.
Speaker 5: Even still, nearly all of us will set our clocks back one hour. It's part of the twice a year ritual of alternating between daylight saving time and standard time. But as William Brangham reports, there's a movement underway to do away with this process once and for all.
Speaker 2: Tie me up.
Speaker 6: Like almost all of us in the country, Scott Yates is about to set his clocks back one hour, as we do every fall when the nation falls back to standard time. But Yates, like a growing number of Americans, is sick of it.
Speaker 7: You know, if somebody's snuck into your house and changed your alarm clock so it went off an hour earlier than your body was expecting, you.
Speaker 2: Would be so mad.
Speaker 7: Absolutely, And yet the government doesn't every year.
Speaker 1: That's not exactly a great analogy. No one's sneaking into your house. It's like, we know it's coming. It's November three. It's not going to sneak up on us. You can plan your day by you can literally put it on your calendar that Saturday night slast Sunday morning at two am.
Speaker 2: You can not even have to worry about it.
Speaker 1: Our clocks are sophisticated enough now you don't have to do anything.
Speaker 2: They'll change on their own. No one's I get.
Speaker 1: The point they're trying to make, but it just doesn't fit the analogy.
Speaker 7: Collecting you would be so mad, absolutely, and yet the government doesn't every year. We're also sleep deprived. We don't really know how to respond.
Speaker 6: In every state except Arizona and Hawaii, clocks spring forward in early March to start daylight saving time and fall back in early November to begin standard time. A few years ago, Yates's wife said, stop complaining about it and do something, So we started a blog compiling various studies and reports about why we change our clocks, what the economic impacts are, even some pretty striking evidence that this back and forth switching can harm people's health.
Speaker 2: I know, that's what I was saying. Get to that part.
Speaker 7: You can compare what's the heart attack data on the Monday after the spring Ford time change in places that do have the change, and then places that don't have the change, like Arizona, and they don't have a spike in heart attacks on that Monday morning after in Arizona, and they do everywhere else. And so it becomes really pretty clear evidence.
Speaker 1: Okay, daylight saving time is killing people. It's killing people. People are dying of heart attacks because of daylight saving time. It is a menace and it needs to be stopped. We need to do something to make sure that we never have to go through this again. I am tired of coming to work in the dark and leaving in the dark, waking up in the dark from November to about April. Okay, but what happens to you? I mean, I hear this dude making my blood pressure up. I have a dour, sour mood. I'm quite sure I get sad and depressed, and you know, isn't that enough. I mean, I gotta view with Mark Ronner. Okay, that's bad enough, and then I got to come in in the dark and deal with Mark Runner. That's dangerous.
Speaker 8: But you're not having heart attack. I mean, this guy's make these claims sound wild.
Speaker 1: Now it's not wild. He's just giving you the facts. He's giving you the data. People are dying in states not named Arizona and Hawaii specifically because of daylight saving time is putting a shock to the body in Arizona.
Speaker 7: And they do everywhere else, And so it becomes really pretty clear evidence. It's really just kind of a glitch in the way that we operate the clocks, and it's a deadly glitch.
Speaker 1: It's a deadly glitch. Deadly people are dying. What is it with you to wala? Don't you understand people are dying out there? This is really far fetched.
Speaker 7: Do have the change and then places that don't have the change, like Arizona and they don't have a spike in heart attacks that Monday morning after.
Speaker 2: They don't.
Speaker 1: The science is the science. I don't know what you're trying to disagree with. People are not dying in places of hot heart attacks where they don't have daylight saving changeover.
Speaker 7: You can compare what's the heart attack data on the Monday after the spring flod time.
Speaker 2: The monday after.
Speaker 1: We're talking about twenty four hours after we change our clocks, so they change naturally.
Speaker 2: People are dropping dead just bam.
Speaker 8: You know the wait wait, wait, way, they haven't experienced their early darkness yet.
Speaker 2: It doesn't matter.
Speaker 8: They're waking so so it says nothing. It's the dread darkness.
Speaker 1: It's the feeling of dread knowing that they're going to lose an hour of their life and their whole life is going to go to pot.
Speaker 8: Are there people who are sitting up the night before thinking that they're actually losing an hour of life, Yes, losing an hour of life, and that's causing them to have heart You can compare.
Speaker 7: What's the heart attack data on the Monday after the spring forward time change in places that do have the change, and then places that don't have the change, like Arizona, and they don't have a spike in heart attacks on that Monday morning after.
Speaker 1: Look, the science is the science, Okay, I trust the science. This data is just saying that it doesn't sound like the science. I believe science. Do you have any contrary data? I didn't think.
Speaker 7: So you can compare what's the heart attack data on the Monday after the spring forward time change in places that do have the change, and then places that don't have the change, like Arizona, and they don't have a spike in heart attacks on that Monday morning after in Arizona, and they do everywhere else. And so it becomes really pretty clear evidence.
Speaker 1: Arizona is a great American state, arguably one of the greatest, if only because they get it right. California we can't get it right.
Speaker 7: It's really just kind of a glitch in the way that we operate the clocks, and it's a deadly glitch.
Speaker 2: Yeats became something of deadly glitch.
Speaker 1: You can't make it much more clear than that somebody's going to die because of this. I'm trying to save lives, and here Tawalla is making light of the science and mister climate change Mark Ronner won't say anything about this. You would think he would be behind the science as well.
Speaker 9: But no, Well, usual, you two geniuses have missed the lead here, which is that it completely messes up last call at bars. You buried the most important aspect of this story. That is major. I'm sorry.
Speaker 1: Nope, they still close no matter what.
Speaker 2: That's not true.
Speaker 9: That's true because this is a personal experience on my part, personal experience on my point, I picked up people. Oh who, it's they drops, it goes back and they still have to get out of the bar. But isn't that the choice of the individual bar and bartender whether they decide to stay open the extra hour. I mean, I guess it's up to them if they want to break the law. Oh well, we all believe in the law. Yes, exactly. People are breaking the law and people are dying. And Mark, you don't even care. Oh, I care so much that it drives me to drink. It's later with mo Kelly k If.
Speaker 1: I am six forty we're live everywhere in the iHeartRadio app and when we come back, they're a bunch of unaffordable small cities in this kind. Where do you think the majority of them are? That's right right here in California. We'll tell you about it next.
Speaker 4: You're listening to Later with Moe Kelly on Demand from KFI AM six forty.
Speaker 1: Let's talk about unaffordable small cities here in the United States. Wallet hub has ranked the quality of life in thirteen hundred small US cities, and I'm talking about populations of twenty five thousand to one hundred thousand people. Of those thirteen hundred small US cities, two hundred and thirteen were from California. And you know that California probably is dominating the list of the unaffordable small US cities. So let's just see if your favorite small California city is more unaffordable than just about everywhere else in the country. So coming in at number seventeen is Santa Barbara. Just to let you know, these are the ten most i should say, least affordable or most unaffordable city small cities in the United States. These are the top ten as they relate to California. Santa Barbara comes in at number seventeen, number nine of the California cities on this list. National city coming in at number thirteen overall, Number eight. San Luis Bispo coming in at number twelve overall, number seven of the California cities small cities which are the most unaffordable.
Speaker 2: In the United States. I know it's kind of confusing.
Speaker 1: The city of Bell number eleven overall. What's living Bell?
Speaker 2: Really? Really? Really? That's unaffordable? Okay?
Speaker 1: That that one's shocking, probably because the city stole all that money and they ruined the city.
Speaker 2: So oh, I remember that. I forgot about that. I didn't.
Speaker 1: I didn't, coming in at number six of California's least affordable cities small cities in the United States. Does anybody know where Maywood is? It's number ten overall. Maywood a TV city. I feel like I heard it, but I don't know where it is at all. I have no idea where Maywood is neither. I assume it's up north and east. Probably do we pass.
Speaker 8: It on the way to producer Canno's wedding.
Speaker 2: Probably? Maybe? Probably? Yeah, wait, I think we did.
Speaker 1: Let's to all see if you can look up Maywood, coming in number five of the most unaffordable small cities here in the United States of the thirteen hundred most unaffordable in the country, number five. As far as cities in California, Santa Monica number eight overall as least affordable in the country of small cities. And it's kind of misleading small cities. They're saying between twenty five thousand and one hundred thousand populations mean well, first of all, no joke, obviously it's going to be at the top. But yeah, it is relatively small. It's relatively small. Yeah, yeah, yeah. And Santa Monica is definitely unaffordable. Oh yes, thanks to Silicon Beach and other industries which have moved to Santa Monica. They have put a lot of money into the pier and Third Street promenade. Beautiful, not affordable, not at all, coming in at number four of California cities and number seven overall.
Speaker 2: Duh.
Speaker 1: Beverly Hill. Yeah, I just don't think of Beverly Hills as a small city. But yeah, geographically it is. Population wise, it is. It has fewer than one hundred thousand people. It is not affordable by any stretch of the imagination. Coming in at number three of the least affordable California cities and a part of the larger list of the least affordable small cities in the United States. How is it hunting Park is less affordable than Beverly Hills.
Speaker 8: What those houses over there have gone through the roof?
Speaker 1: But Hancock Park, yes, hunt Huntington Park no, No, don't tell me Huntington Park is more expensive or less affordable than Beverly Hills.
Speaker 2: In Santa Monica, I've become more exclusive. Yes, probably the most shocking.
Speaker 1: Okay, if I'm going to pay all that money, I'm not living in Huntington Park. If I have to pay more, and according to this list, Beverly Hills and Santa Monica.
Speaker 2: Are more affordable.
Speaker 1: Then I might as well live in Beverly Hills or Santa Monica. No disrespect to Huntington Park, but y'all ain't that fly? You're not that fly.
Speaker 8: Beautiful neighborhoods, smaller communities, less crowding, less congestion, Beverly Hills, all the traffic, everyone going through their Santa Monica.
Speaker 1: All though I didn't say it wasn't beautiful, I'm saying affordable, as in people are willing to pay more money for Huntington Park than Beverly Hills.
Speaker 8: Because once upon a time Beverly Hills was super exclusive.
Speaker 1: We couldn't get in there. Show me with the average home prices in Huntington Park. Look, I'm still looking at Maywood. You got Maywood for Google Faster? Where's they would?
Speaker 8: Maywood is surrounded by Bell, Vernon and Huntington Park.
Speaker 1: Wait a minute, Maywood is like southern California, not too far from here.
Speaker 8: Yes, twenty six minutes from I didn't even think about that. Yeah it is Maybelle, Yes, twenty six minutes from us. It is bordered by Bell on this, Vernon on the north and west, and Huntington Park on the southwest, like the seventeen without traffic. Yeah, right off the seven ten. Yeah, yeah, right off the seventeen.
Speaker 2: Wow they would. That's a thing. It's a thing.
Speaker 1: So Maywood and Huntington Park they got them five million dollar homes or something.
Speaker 2: They have all the cities as far as small cities go. Wow.
Speaker 1: Okay, that's number three, number two of the California Least affordable small cities against the larger list of the thirteen hundred least affordable small cities.
Speaker 2: Is Bell Gardens stop lying to me.
Speaker 1: Don't tell me Bell Gardens costs more than Beverly Hills.
Speaker 2: No, I'm quite sure.
Speaker 1: There's some beautiful homes and they're probably very expensive, but it's not Beverly Hills expensive?
Speaker 2: Is it?
Speaker 5: Now?
Speaker 2: Can be? Can't be?
Speaker 8: Right now? It says that the average home in Huntington Park is going for six thirty eight average home in Beverly Hills five sixty seven.
Speaker 1: W Wait, where can in Beverly Hills? Can you get a house for five hundred and thirty low on the.
Speaker 8: Low end, on the low end, a home in Huntington Park six thirty eight on the low end, in Beverly Hills five sixty seven.
Speaker 1: I want to see someone with a Beverly Hills address who purchased property. Contact me and let me know how they actually bought property in Beverly Hills for five thirty eight. If that's the average, that being some are below five thirty eight and most are above five thirty eight about average, Most are above, But that's on the low I just looked up the lowest costs and that's.
Speaker 2: What it is. It's a shipping container.
Speaker 1: Okay, Oh no, no, no, No, it's less than that.
Speaker 2: It's like a outhouse.
Speaker 1: You don't get a full shipping container that's like what maybe five hundred square.
Speaker 2: Feet a honeybucket. It's a honey bucket.
Speaker 1: You are not getting a shipping container for five hundred thousand dollars in Beverly Hills.
Speaker 2: Why location, location, location.
Speaker 1: You can't get a parking space for five hundred thousand dollars in Beverly Hills. But the number one least expensive small city in California and also checks in at number two as far as the rest of the United States small city population twenty five thousand to one hundred thousand is now this one. I actually agree with West Hollywood. I agree with that. Oh yeah, you're directly bordering Beverly Hills, and yeah, I got some friends who live over there. Yes, it's that expensive now and every business wants to open up there because that's where you're going to like explode.
Speaker 2: I agree with that one. Yep, yep, yep.
Speaker 1: If you're wondering which is the least expensive the most affordable small California city comes in at number three hundred and two of thirteen hundred, and it's Beaumont.
Speaker 2: But who in the hell wants to live in Beaumont.
Speaker 1: I mean, you know, yeah, okay, do they have even do they have cars in Beaumont? No, I mean cars, not horse and buggy, but actual cars. What see I did say Beaumont, Texas, said Beaumont, California.
Speaker 2: And I don't even know where that is.
Speaker 1: It's probably out there by River Tucky, going towards the Nevada border or something. I don't know all these obscure places. I've lived here my whole life. Didn't know that may Wood was only twenty minutes away from me wherever I live, Maywell was already twenty minutes away. If someone came up to me and said, mo, hey, why don't you come by the sure we watched the Super Bowl and everything, Just let me know where you live.
Speaker 2: Maywood?
Speaker 1: What, Yeah, Maywood is right off the you know the six o five may What you mean Inglewood? No, I meant Maywood. Nothing crickets. Maywood I've never heard of. And it's a real city of more than twenty five thousand people. Sorry, sorry to disrespect Maywood, but never heard of you. It's later with mo Kelly kfi AM six forty live everywhere on the iHeartRadio app and McDonald's has had a really really really really three more release, really really really bad week. It went from bad to really really bad. And now we have more and more e Coli to talk about and that's next.
Speaker 4: You're listening to Later with Moe Kelly on demand from KFI AM six forty.
Speaker 1: I don't remember a worse week for McDonald's. It's not something I usually eat anymore. I have McDonald's maybe at most once a month, once every other month, and it's breakfast food, and it's usually breakfast at night.
Speaker 9: To piss off Mark Runner, you believe in nothing, you're a knee list.
Speaker 1: Yes I am, I am, But anyhow, I do love breakfast at McDonald's. That's the only thing that got me through the pandemic because they had all day breakfast for a while and I could get some breakfast from McDonald's and it made my day just a little bit better, just a wee bit better. But now I don't feel as confident going to McDonald's. This week has been so bad because it transcends any particular area of media. First, there was the conversation about whether Vice President Harris had fabricated her resume, whether she actually worked at McDonald's back in the early nineteen eighties. Why that was a big deal, I have no idea, but that story was out there, to which you had former President Trump tried to mock her by working the fries at a closed restaurant for about fifteen minutes and it was a photo op, and that got into the news cycle. And then after that you might have noticed that the stock price for McDonald's had a precipitous drop just because of the negative press surrounding the politics associated with McDonald's of the moment. And then you had this E Coli outbreak where one person died and I think dozens other became sick. And today Eric Stelly, who filed a lawsuit in Cook County Circuit Court in Illinois, says that he ate food from McDonald's Greeley, Colorado location, back on October fourth, and two days later began experiencing nausea, stomach cramps, and dehydration, all symptoms connected to E. Coli poisoning. On October eighth, Stelly sought medical attention and doctors confirmed that he had E. Coli poisoning. On Tuesday of this week, the CDC announced that quarter pounders sold at McDonald's locations across the country, not just Colorado, but across the country have been or may have been common contaminated with E.
Speaker 2: Coli.
Speaker 1: The CDC said at least forty nine people have contracted E coli, including one person, as I told you, who died in ten who were hospitalized.
Speaker 2: Listened to this this morning.
Speaker 10: As global restaurant giant McDonald's grapples with a deadly E. Coali outbreak and the FDA investigates raw onions as well as the beef served on the quarter pounder as the potential source.
Speaker 2: This is the quarter pounder.
Speaker 10: A company identifying itself as an onion supplier at affected restaurants, Taylor Farms speaking out overnight.
Speaker 1: Wait wait, wait, wait, wait wait, onions on the quarter pounder. I've been to McDonald's many many times over the years.
Speaker 2: Correct me if I'm wrong.
Speaker 1: The onions on a quarter pounder come from the same onion stash that are on the hamburgers, right and the cheeseburgers.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: They're not special onions for the quarter pounders. It's just the onions that they grill and everything.
Speaker 9: Am I wrong? I think they're the same onions. I don't know about the onions. But coincidentally, just days before this all went down, I was looking up what was going into the foods and I had read that the quarter pounder was the only thing on the menu at McDonald's that's fresh and not frozen, and so I'd kind of made a mental note to myself, Okay, if you ever go back to a McDonald's, that's what you get.
Speaker 2: Apparently that's not what you get.
Speaker 1: But they're saying it's the onions as one of the not a condiment but a topping. I thought it was the same onions that they use on all the burgers, because I've had a quarter pounder many many times, I've had the regular hamburgers and cheeseburgers. I didn't know that there was any real difference between the onions. And so if the problem is with the onions and it's the same onions that they put on all the burgers, I don't think of a reason why they would have a specialion that they would put on the quarter pounder Because the taste exactly the same. It would stand to reason that all of the burgers would then be susceptible to being contaminated.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this is very confusing.
Speaker 9: We need some sort of fast food colombo to get to the bottom of this.
Speaker 10: This morning, as global restaurant giant McDonald's grapples with a deadly E. Coali outbreak and the FDA investigates raw onions as well as the beef served on the quarter pounder as the potential source.
Speaker 2: This is the Quotera pounder.
Speaker 10: A company identifying itself as an onion supplier at affected restaurants, Taylor Farms, speaking out overnight, saying in a statement to Bloomberg Tailor Farms Colorado had removed yellow onions from the market produced out of our Colorado facility, adding the company continues to work closely with the FDA and CDC during the investigation, and saying in the statement it hasn't found traces of E. Coli yet, but decided to pull the products out of an abundance of caution. A man in Colorado takes McDonald's to court, claiming in a new lawsuit he ate at a McDonald's on October fourth, and two days later began experiencing symptoms consistent with E. Coli and was hospitalized, the CDC saying he's one of nearly fifty customers by contaminated food, ranging in age from thirteen to eighty eight.
Speaker 2: Why are you repeating?
Speaker 6: Now?
Speaker 10: The CDC, USDA, FDA, and state health officials are all investigating, with the CDC confirming they were first alerted to cases of E. Coli in Colorado.
Speaker 1: That's a lot of letters. It's a lot of alphabet organizations out there.
Speaker 2: No CIA.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 10: The CDC, USDA, FDA, and state health officials are all investigating, with the CDC confirming they were first alerted to cases of E. Coli in Colorado nearly.
Speaker 2: Two weeks ago.
Speaker 10: The agency applauding McDonald's for pulling the quarter pounder from the menu.
Speaker 1: Wait a minute, applauding you get credit for doing the simple right thing. Thank you for taking the poisonous burgers off the menu. Thank you for doing that. Maybe have another thank you for actually doing the right thing.
Speaker 10: The agency applauding McDonald's for pulling the quarter pounder from the menu after it was identified as the source. Do you expect numbers to keep going up amid this outbreak? We do expect the number of illnesses to go up.
Speaker 6: We think that's going to be driven by people who ate quarter pounders at McDonald's before they took these.
Speaker 10: Actions well Wednesday. On today, McDonald's president vowing full cooperation, adding he's confident the food currently being served at McDonald's is safe.
Speaker 11: We are very confident that you can.
Speaker 2: What is he supposed to say?
Speaker 1: No, you know what, I'm not very confident that the food you're going to eat tomorrow or later today at McDonald's is safe.
Speaker 9: What answer is he supposed to give. He's supposed to eat one live on camera.
Speaker 1: Yes, he should, he should, and then we get back to him in two days. Any stomach cramps, diarrhea, play this song at McDonald's.
Speaker 11: We say, we are very confident that you can go to McDonald's and enjoy our classics. We took swift action yesterday to remove the quarter pounder from our menu.
Speaker 1: Took swift action. Well, it's gonna get swifter. It's going to go right through.
Speaker 9: You can you can we get some sort of mix of the McDonald's music plus the Pepto bismal song.
Speaker 1: I'm loving it diarrhea exactly, exactly. I'll get Steph right on it.
Speaker 4: I've heard any of our secret mind control hidden messages recently?
Speaker 2: No, that's because we're really good at it k F I'm KOs t HD two.
Speaker 10: Los Angeles, Orange County, Live
Speaker 2: Everywhere on the radio,