Speaker 1: This is IE on the Ball with Steve ra Bira on Fox Sports fourteen fifty. Subscribe now to the podcast on the iHeartRadio just search I on the Ball.
Speaker 2: Hey, welcome back to my I on the Ball here on Fox Sports fourteen fifty. I'm Steve Rivera. You're Dave Silber.
Speaker 3: No breaking news unless you kind of really want to talk about some stuff.
Speaker 4: We're kind of in that.
Speaker 5: You know that the middle week before the Super Bowl hype begins next week, so things are kind of quiet around the NFL until they all get to New Orleans. I guess maybe over the weekend, so right, that'll be all all we'll be talking about for a week or so.
Speaker 3: Even there's slim pickings on TV right because there's really not much going on.
Speaker 4: It's a lot of them.
Speaker 6: You know.
Speaker 5: It's funny the Big twelve because it's so big and it's more than twelve.
Speaker 4: There's games all the times.
Speaker 5: Yeah, last night, an't that I'm sitting there, there's another game on it.
Speaker 3: It's b YU and somebody in Baylor. So if you're a shoe, there was the other one. It was an Issue issue and Cold.
Speaker 4: Colorado was on.
Speaker 5: So it seems like every night there's especially early in the week, and with the Wildcats being on the big ESPN Monday, that was great exposure on I had a lot of my friends.
Speaker 4: I mean seriously, I had.
Speaker 5: As I was sitting there, I probably had five or six texts within thirty seconds, and no one was from Tucson. They were just friends of mine from around the country or were watching how far east east? Well, I got a couple from the east yesterday. They were up late, you know, on Monday night, but yesterday on Tuesday. Got a few comments from people in the apectually on the West coast.
Speaker 2: I can see the West coast for sure because the East. By the time they started, it was eleven o'clock. Yeah, by the time they finished, it was one o'clock, right, because it was when an overtime.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean, so it's a seven thirty start, you know in California and Oregon and Washington. Yeah, I was getting text from from that group. And so, you know, people pay attention.
Speaker 4: They always have. There's no doubt about it doesn't matter they.
Speaker 5: Can find the game if it's on ESPN or ESPN Plus or you know, wherever they're going to be.
Speaker 4: People will will search, work and get it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, No, it was a it was a good night Monday night. We'll see what happens on Saturday. I'm not too happy about the eight, the the early start on Saturday. It's eleven.
Speaker 5: What's that all about? I have no ideas some programming such a is it a CBS game?
Speaker 2: I don't even know. I don't want to have to chow. We have to check. But eleven there must be in a slate of games all day.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Well, ESPN's been touting that in their promos this week about we've got twelve hours of college basketball. Yeah, okay, hello, you're on the air.
Speaker 7: He what's up this?
Speaker 1: Vic?
Speaker 3: Vic?
Speaker 2: What's going on?
Speaker 3: Do they know?
Speaker 7: You don't know?
Speaker 2: Does your does your employer know that you don't work at three o'clock? Four o clock?
Speaker 7: Heck, yeah you do. I just caught it to talk to you. Guys were talking with Pete and the away games. But a couple of games that get lost in the shuffle where the eighty nine shot out he had shot at Pauli when he hit it from the bait line to tie it and went overtime and we beat UCLA that year, and then the other one was I think ninety one when Sean Rooks deflected the ball, it went to Chris Mills almost the same place, and he hit a baseline jumper.
Speaker 1: To tie it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, remember that one.
Speaker 7: Yeah, we also went into overtime there, and those in those days, it was me and a couple cousins from Tucson and then all my baseball buddies were all Ula guys and we go twenty deep and be drawing at each other the whole game. It was amazing back in those days.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no question. And those those were big games obviously, don't you when when you saw Mondays, it had that big game, old school field.
Speaker 7: Oh, I'll tell you, I've been to a lot of games, man, and I mean, and that was I've never heard anything so loud in my life. My cousin that I went with whereas hearing aids and he had to kind of put his ear hands over his ears. It was crazy.
Speaker 2: Yeah for me, it wasn't crazy. For me. It wasn't. And I'll say this because and you know you're you're kind of recency bias right with other things. But that Florida game when Mike Mark Lions hit the last second shot against Florida, Holy crap. I remember just people going crazy that day.
Speaker 7: But I wanted to tell you back in those days too, in the in the eighties and nineties, and I don't know if you ever joined in, but we'd go to a place called Baxter's in Westwood and the whole team would show up, Kenny Lofton, Anthony Cook, all those guys, and one day they said, hey, can we say. There was no tables, so they sat at our table and we just had a black man.
Speaker 2: Imagine that they were just regular guys.
Speaker 4: This was like after the games when they would play you yeah.
Speaker 7: After the game.
Speaker 2: Imagine if they had photos back then, you would have had plenty ofselfes.
Speaker 8: Oh.
Speaker 7: I was thinking about that. Man, if they would have had iPhone back then, I'd be going crazy. And then at day after the Ft games, we'd go across the street to Margarita Jones and all the assistants would go.
Speaker 6: Uh.
Speaker 7: I got to meet Chris Mills and UH and Brian Williams and actually had a kind of a cool relationship. I had a thirty five milimeter camera and took pictures with them and their dads and UH or Brian's family would come out and it was cool.
Speaker 6: It was.
Speaker 7: It was just good times back then.
Speaker 2: You need you need your own Papa Rozzi.
Speaker 7: I need a chapter in one of your books one day. Man, Yes, you guys take care A great show today, man. I love I love Pete. I've also met Pete at a chick forty good or yeah, chick forty goods and uh West Gowina one year and he had on his Arizona stuff and I went up like a little kid. You Pete Williams. He goes, yeah, and uh that was a cool moment too.
Speaker 2: Right right, Okay, well thanks man, appreciated victory.
Speaker 7: Okay, you guys take cares great.
Speaker 2: H yeah, thanks so much. That's interesting.
Speaker 5: Can you imagine the players didn't walking into a place like that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's kind of strange that they did that, but get paid Yeah yeah, yeah, yeah right right, appearance appearance fee.
Speaker 2: Right, anybody want to call? We have some time, we have like ten minutes. We'd appreciate the call. Five two zero four one six seventy four for forty what's your top games? How was it Monday night? If you were there, how did it feel? It wasn't completely full? Dave, Again, it wasn't completely full. Maybe I would say that maybe five hundred to one thousand seats is scattered. Yeah, scattered.
Speaker 5: I'm pretty sure they put some tickets on sale if I read correctly, in the last maybe four hours or something.
Speaker 2: It was maybe maybe, but the amounts that it was sold out for Sunday.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: And did you go to the you of a Grand Canyon game a few years back?
Speaker 2: I don't remember.
Speaker 3: Okay, So they had a pretty good crowd because the students were out blah blah blah.
Speaker 2: They came in. Then they were loud.
Speaker 3: Uh, I would state had a fantastic crowd.
Speaker 5: I heard they heard, they did, they were then they were seated. They had didn't They have some almost directly across from the airs on a bench.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there, and then behind the other benches. It was just and they were loud. I'm taking where do these guys come from?
Speaker 9: I know?
Speaker 3: Yeah, Hey, you're on the air and iine on the ball. Hey Steve hy David, this is done.
Speaker 2: Don How are you haven't heard from you?
Speaker 10: Hey?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I've been a little busy.
Speaker 2: I had to check the hospital.
Speaker 11: Oh no, no, just being.
Speaker 2: A little bit busy. Okay.
Speaker 3: You know, before the before the season started, I I had just made it like an observation. A question was how how was how was Tucson going to react with the hurky jerky scheduling of the Big twelve. Yeah, Monday afternoon. I had no idea. We had a game Monday night.
Speaker 2: And hold on, real quick, let me make some vision. We got a call coming in t money, give us a call. Once Don's done, we'll get you go ahead.
Speaker 11: Hey, but I didn't know.
Speaker 3: I didn't even realize we had a game. And then I heard on I heard no my somebody asked me, is there is there? Zone is still favored by one and a half, And I was like, what, don't shoot? They got a game tonight and and oh my goodness, that was That was a great game. I wish I would have been there. One game nobody's brought up it's been.
Speaker 2: It was a loss.
Speaker 3: It was the last year that a school could host the NCAA tournament when UTEP came here. Oh yeah, yeah, and we that was a Tim Hardaway and uh, the big guy that played for the Indiana Pacers and we played I think it was a double overtime.
Speaker 2: Was a day file first round? Do you because you played at UTEP? He's from he.
Speaker 3: Was from it was no, no, no, it was like Anthony Davis I think was the big guy, the other NBA guy that it was on that team. But h U TEP had one little sliver of c one section from the floor all the way up was orange. And they made that that little that little sliver of of minor fans they made they made McHale sound like a high school gym at a rivalry game. It was loud that day. And that was that one was a That one was a good one. And there was the year before that McHale was a sellout. Washington came here with de la Shramp and the other German the center and and and we smoked them that that night. And it was a Saturday afternoon game. Remember that Christian w e l p Right, Well, ye, well yeah, that was that was another good one. I'm sorry, I I got the radio turned on right at the end of Pete your Guys's talk with Pete Pete Williams.
Speaker 11: Did you guys talk about the A s U.
Speaker 3: Game when they were up there and they were like down six or seven two minutes? Yes, Oh my god, that was a game so done.
Speaker 2: Did you watch Wenday's completely.
Speaker 3: I was, yeah, the first half I was I was in and out, but most of the second half I watched and everything, you know, So I asked everybody here and then Dave ask you, what did you think that the percentage of victory was? With five seconds left, Arizona was at the line, down by four, right, with Henry at the line.
Speaker 2: He hits the first one. Now they're down by well, they're down by two. Now right, they're down by two, and then he purposely misses it, and you're thinking, how they There's so many things that had to happen for them to win this, and you're thinking, okay, you know now you're talking about the spread, Well did you get three and a half blah blah blah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, what did you think percentage? We didn't think it was looking.
Speaker 3: Good percentage wise that they were going to get out of that. Yeah, zero, exactly exactly zero. I mean, they had like no business.
Speaker 11: And then when.
Speaker 3: Caleb let that shot go, I was like, that's.
Speaker 11: Got a shot, that's got a chance.
Speaker 3: Then he drained it. I mean it wasn't he because usually from that far away, it's a bank shot that goes in a lot of times, it's a bank shot, and you know, not in it, and but but he swished that.
Speaker 5: I was like, oh moment, yeah, definitely definitely remind I know we're going to talk about it with Hoavier, but definitely reminded me of the Cincinnati game in Phoenix was shot when Miles Simon made that shot from Yeah, that was even farther away I think sixty Yeah, it was the same field.
Speaker 3: That was, yeah, sixty five to seventy feet. But that was for the win, whereas this one, this one, okay, we get five more minutes to prove ourselves and.
Speaker 2: The overtime.
Speaker 3: What to me was quite surprising to come out of that with an eleven point win and having won the last three games of fifteen point win, a fourteen point win and then eleven point win in supposedly the toughest conference in the country. And they keep losing votes in the polls.
Speaker 2: It doesn't matter that, you know.
Speaker 11: What, I just assume they keep losing votes, right.
Speaker 3: They keep playing like this because if if that's a little bit has them proving themselves that I'm for it.
Speaker 11: Yeah, I'm for that.
Speaker 3: You know, whatever whatever it takes for this to keep keep going, because it seems like, you know, it's it's unsettling that we don't have a constant. We don't have a Shawn Elliott. That's you know, because when when Shawn was here for us, I mean we went same high school. I known him since he was in high school and stuff. I didn't know him, he was in my brother's class. But at the end of the day, when you looked at the score at the statue, you're going he got twenty seven, I thought he had seventeen eighteen. Yeah, and he would he would get twenty five points, thirty points or whatever, and it didn't seem.
Speaker 2: Like that much.
Speaker 3: But he was at constant and this team just don't. We don't have that that one guy. The insurance policy that Okay, he's going to get hit is somebody gets something, you know. And so we got so many guys that have shown what they can do. If they put it together and start playing a lot more consistently, like like what he was saying, it could be this could be a good team. I mean, this could end up being a good team and play play several games in the tournament. Yeah, don thanks a bunch, man, appreciate you, thank you, man.
Speaker 11: All right, I have a good lot.
Speaker 4: Too, I mean they do have some depth. They really do.
Speaker 5: I mean, there's not a lot of players, but it seems like almost every game somebody has stepped up.
Speaker 4: Maybe it's not Kleble, although.
Speaker 2: Hold that thought real quick, Tea Money, if you want to call back, please do. We've got a couple of minutes. If not, tell us call us after. How your calls in, appreciate your time. You couldn't put put you on hold or you were there for just a moment. Yeah, no, day, you're right, You're right.
Speaker 5: I mean they're going what eight players basically, and it seems like, you know, if five or six are scoring and you know, close to double figures, you got a pretty good chance.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Team Money, you're on the air. What's up?
Speaker 9: Hey, Hey, gentlemen, thanks for the introduction.
Speaker 3: Hey, I hate to.
Speaker 7: Go old guy man.
Speaker 2: I really what we are?
Speaker 3: I really do.
Speaker 9: I mean, but that game the other night with like an eight thirty start on a Tuesday.
Speaker 11: I don't know.
Speaker 9: I may be the lone voice in the wilderness, but this Big twelve stuff is kind of bothering me.
Speaker 2: No, I'm with you, man, I'm with you.
Speaker 9: And also, I mean I lived in Big twelfth Country. I kind of get their mentality. They're protecting their own. We played Kansas the last game of the year. There is no home and home. It is one of those things where it's like, hey, welcome to our house. We're going to take care of our own. But this Saturday Tuesday thing that that makes zero sense. They've been doing it forever. They're used to it.
Speaker 2: Whatever.
Speaker 9: I mean when it's like twelve degrees outside and all you got.
Speaker 4: In Ames, Iowa, is this I get it? Uh, I don't.
Speaker 9: I don't see McHale being sold out for an eight thirty Tuesday night game. It's hard for you know, working schmucks like myself to to justify taking my kids out there for that. It's it's probably hard enough for college students to, you know, eight thirty on a Tuesday night. I'm just kind of looking ahead here and from what the coach at UCLA his rent recently, I don't know.
Speaker 4: I'm holding out hope that there.
Speaker 9: Is a Pacific twelve, Pacific something coming back together in the next coming years and we can kind of get the band back together again, because I don't I don't really feel like this is conducive to Arizona Sports.
Speaker 4: No, you know, and it's it's two letters. It's it's TV.
Speaker 5: You know, we are the Big twelve's Western team now, you know us in Utah and b Yu. We're gonna get these late games because of television. They've got all these time slots earlier in the evening, playing the games in the Midwest, in the East. With this conference, it's spread out across the entire country, so someone has to pay the price.
Speaker 2: To your point, CBS is eleven o'clock.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and you know they've got they've got golf come.
Speaker 4: I mean, it's gonna be a big day of sports.
Speaker 5: So we're just kind of stuck in the middle of CBS's scheduling on Saturday or early in their day.
Speaker 2: Actually, yeah, t money, Thanks for the call, man, you're not old lending. It's weird. Welcome to the old putting putting area, putting time, thanks man. Yeah.
Speaker 5: You know we got a nine o'clock game against BUYU next too. Yeah yeah, on the road, so you know, another one of those late nights.
Speaker 2: Let's go, Dave, we got to go. Come back with half year.
Speaker 1: Now, your chance to win one thousand dollars just entered this nation wide keyword on our website. Check that's check enter in right now, Fox Sports fourteen fifty dot com.
Speaker 12: Are you ready ready to discover your soul, your wild side, your passion, your joy excitement. From the latest slots and table games, to award winning dining, to world class entertainment to a luxurious resort.
Speaker 2: Discover all this and more.
Speaker 12: Discover with Soul Casino del Soul, the Soul of Tucson.
Speaker 2: Are you ready enterprise so Fasco Yuki trye.
Speaker 13: The Window Depot has everything you need to create the kitchen or bathroom of your dreams. Browsey aisles of instock cabinets available in a variety of sizes and configurations, and instantly elevate your space. Today, visit a showroom and let our experts guide you. Whether you're choosing for money to go designs or creating a custom masterpiece. We can help you select the perfect wood, type, color and style and top it off with unique hardware to complete your look. Find a location near you at the Window Deepot dot com. The Window Depot more than a windows store.
Speaker 2: Steve Rivera here to talk about Dorotle Rocky Materials. I needed a lot of gravel for my driveway, so I called Eric at Dorato rock You found out the amount and color I needed, and boom taken care of and at a great price. How do I know radio commercials work? I heard one of his on the radio. Dororato Rock and Materials provides a wide range of landscaping materials, including decorative rock, boulders, gravel, soil, and sand for residential and commercial use in the Tucson area. They are locally owned and have been around for more than fifteen years. Kim, We'll call at five two zero four zero zero for two three three.
Speaker 8: Where do you.
Speaker 2: Buy exercise equipment?
Speaker 9: Arizona Health Arizona Health, Arizona Health.
Speaker 14: Of course, to feel better and look better, it makes sense to buy your fitness equipment from the people who know it better than anyone else. At Arizona Health, our goal is to help you choose the equipment you need to reach your goals, your health and fitness to serve the best you deserve. Arizona Health the leading edge and exercise equipment On twenty second just west of Wilmot.
Speaker 15: Let's start twenty twenty five off with a bang by honoring those who did a bang up job for you in twenty twenty four. Recognize your employees, salespeople, managers and age with the Creative Award from Creative Awards. It's time to restock your promotional products and convention giveaway items, and Creative Awards has over five hundred thousand products to choose from. Don't forget your corporate apparel for a great sharp look in twenty twenty five, visit the Creative Awards Idea Center at two twenty eight West Drackman or visit them online at Creative Awards az dot com.
Speaker 16: At Nova home Loans, we believe everyone deserves the opportunity to enjoy the independence that comes with home ownership. Paul Volpi is ready to help you find an option that best fits your needs, whether you're a first time or veteran home buyer or want to get cash out with the refinance. Nova has a variety of home loan programs to meet your unique situation. Visit Voltpe team dot com. That's Volpe team dot com or call five two oh six eight five six two six today in MLS three oh eight seven, arizon A BK nine two nine pour two Equal housing opportunity. Have to commitment to Lindrixson Credit rates and available loan programs or subjects to change with ut notice.
Speaker 17: Did you know collecting sports cards is one of the fastest growing hobbies around. Whether you're looking to start or expand your collection, show fo Time Cards is your ultimate destination. As one of the leading card shops in the country, we've been.
Speaker 2: Serving our community for over twenty.
Speaker 17: Five years with the best in sports cards and trading card games. From rare fines to the latest releases, Showtime Cards has it all. Check them out at showtimecards dot Com or visit them on East Speedway and discover why collectors everywhere trust Showtime Cards for their passion.
Speaker 15: Richard bacall Law Office, defending Arizonans for over thirty years and a wildcat fan for over sixty. If you need an experienced criminal defense attorney, call Richard McCall five two oh seven to four to ROH twelve thirteen, broad sponsor of Eye on the Ball.
Speaker 8: Go cats, got bugs, termites, bees, or rodents, Arizona Pest Control will hunt them down. Arizona Pest Control is your complete desert pest management specialist. Tests can't run or hide from Arizona Pest Control. They use only the latest and most technologically advanced methods of pest elimination available which minimizes the effects on the environment. Let Arizona Pest Control get rid of your bad bugs. Termine it's speak's or rodents serving Tucson and Southern Arizona since nineteen forty seven. Go to azpest dot com to schedule your free evaluation. Today.
Speaker 18: Baseball fans, it's time to experience the thrill of the game like never before. The World Baseball Classic Qualifiers coming to Tucson, Arizona, and you don't want to miss this incredible event. For four action pack days, the world's best teams will compete for their spot in the Global Championship. The games are set for March second, third, fourth, and sixth. Join us at Keno Veterans Memorial Baseball Stadium. Build the excitement is powerhouse team from Germany, Brazil, China and Columbia take the field. Visit World Baseballclassic dot com to secure your seats today. This message is brought to you by the Southern Arizona Sports Tourism and Film Authority.
Speaker 1: Breaking down all the xs and os. This is I on the Ball with Steve Rivera on Box Sports fourteen fifty.
Speaker 2: Hey, welcome out, Hello, Welcome back to on the Wall.
Speaker 3: This is Steve, This is Dave and this is Avia Morales from osports to soun. Can you hear me just?
Speaker 6: I can can hear me?
Speaker 10: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, hell little how are you?
Speaker 2: Thanks for joining us? Another thing, more proof that you don't sleep is from today's story.
Speaker 6: I've forgotten about how to sleep for like forty years or more.
Speaker 3: Yes, well you know you can sleep. Put your pass away. Uh no, good job.
Speaker 2: I didn't read it in its entirety, but Dave is going through it pretty.
Speaker 4: Well bringing back memories, that's for sure.
Speaker 2: So so, uh, what did you find out with your little story or little story long story on on these games?
Speaker 6: Well, it was Anthony. Anthony Jimino is the when he messaged me about some of the top long range shots or you know plays that stead out and you have a history and that you know, he's he's seen a lot of them, and I've I've seen some from you know, from the even the seventies, and uh, just it's just a you know, a nice walk down memory lane to see some of the top performances. Know, long range is you know long odds, right, so the play that with long odds have happened, and it happened and definitely. CALEB'SUV shot is right up there. I think given the circumstances, his shot in McMillan's you know shot after the full court pass. I mean that was a from the other side of the court from Steve Kerr that hit like near the basket. There was a big Anthony Cook and Ortiz the guy from from Oregon State. They rushed for the walls, fell loose and McMillan grabs it and lays it in. The Odds of that happening are very remote. And that was when Arizona was starting out in the Pac twelve Pac ten. At that time, Orgon Stay was a power and that kind of like you know, opened the door for Arizona right there in the Pac ten. And I think the game of the shot that Caleb loves that made the other day kind of opened the door for the for the Big twelve because I always states ran number three. Arizona's still trying to establish themselves and you know, they they're not sure yet how good they are. And I think both shots had that kind of ramifications. There have been great shots, you know, meaningful shots, but I think given the circumstances, those two are the biggest that Arizona's ever had in basketball.
Speaker 2: Wow, that's saying a lot.
Speaker 3: And we'll see if that encourages them down the road, because everyone's looking for that, that reason to kind of say when did it start? When did it start? When did it start? And maybe that's the start or the you know, the spark, right.
Speaker 6: I mean, of course they can go on and lay in an egg at HU on Saturday, But I mean that those are memories you'll hold forever. You know, we're still talking about Craik and Millan shot, We're still talking about Max and Das's field goal. Will never stop talking about it. To me, that to me, Max and Dazza's field goal is the most pressure filled, the best pressure filled moment in the U have a sports. You got a freshman kicking a forty seven yard field goal at South Bend, Indiana to win a game. I mean, doesn't get much more pressure than that. I think that that's like at the top of the list for me for most the highest pressure play made in U of a history.
Speaker 5: He came back the next year was the ASU win, right, the first of as many successes against ASU as well.
Speaker 6: Right, he made that it was a kind of a shorter quick kick, but it was still in the forties and he made that to beat a su He actually really beat Issue a couple of times with his goals. But yeah, it's just things like that they bring back memories. I mean, of course, you you Anthony, and you know Stave and that we've been around for a while and we automatically think of those things when big plays happened. So you know, that's that's why I was a surprised that Anthony sent me a message. And it just gets you to thinking about some of the plays all been a part of or or watched.
Speaker 3: So your story was more was it last second shots, last second victories or long long ones?
Speaker 6: For both long plays, yeah, long and both along odds. I mean some game winning field roles that were in the high forties that I mean that's still high.
Speaker 2: You knows, did this one make it? And I'm just thinking about it now? Are you at Stanford five seconds? That four point whatever it was? Five? Khalid takes the ball court from court and wins the game on the last second shot.
Speaker 6: Well for late yeah, I mean, I mean we included Chuck Cecil's one hundred and six yard return. He had to run it all the way back. So Khalid Reeves ran the whole court at Stanford and you know how what it's like there, yeah, or what it was like there, and for him to make that shot was unbelievable. So yeah, that should be on there with with length of play anyway for him to make it. That always went into the other.
Speaker 5: You know one that's snuck in there. And I saw this one too in person. Was the Dave shr Matt home run in Omaha in nineteen eighty six. Kats wound up winning the College World Series that year, but this was the first game. They were in trouble the entire game and I'm not kidding. This ball went over the It went over the scoreboard. If I remember he blasted it was raining. I think you know, it was really late. It was, you know, past eleven o'clock at night. But that was kind of one of those little remembered plays that was super important and really got them started because they had a tough road after. Had they lost that first game, they never would have got to the championship because they had some good teams in that in that tournament that year.
Speaker 4: But that's sher Mett Homer was a biggie.
Speaker 6: Were you were you there for that game?
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was Yeah, we went.
Speaker 6: I watched it on TV. I was like, I think I was a freshman college that year, and and I could still remember watching the game in my liver room my apartment. I mean, that's how big of a play it does when you remember where you're at. You know, it was late, they were down seven zero in the late endings, and they rallied to come back and win that game. I mean, that's that's an Ald timer. And it did clear the scoreboard.
Speaker 2: Yeah, where were you when, uh what do you guys when Miles hit the sixty Phoenix?
Speaker 6: I was there. I was at the game. I was, I was, I was doing a sidebar. Yeah, I was there with uh well, I think Wilmer was a the writer for the Star then, right, Yeah, I was. I was right there, and it was just the euphoria. I remember. I remember the players just going like to the side of the bed area, just mobbing each other, and then Loot and Loot and Ros were trying to act as cool as possible. You know. Ros wanted to jump.
Speaker 2: Up and down.
Speaker 6: Yeah, well he was trying to say the next salute, so he kept his he kept his composure. But yeah, that was crazy.
Speaker 2: And then would probably do is he does his little shrug, little rays of a night rot says, and then you remember part of that story, part of the big story was how Huggins went into the locker room and just broke everything, uh, because he was so pissed.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I don't you know. One thing I remember about that is I was at the Cincinnati practice the day before and there was I mean, he was shown a f bombs left and right. It was kind of uncomfortable to sit there and watch watch that, But yeah, went off.
Speaker 2: You've had conversations with me plenty of times. You should be used to this stuff.
Speaker 6: Yeah, but your voice isn't that loud?
Speaker 4: I was there too.
Speaker 5: The game was on ke gun if I remember an ABC game and we were It was called the seven up Shootout, just kind of what they called these games.
Speaker 4: There was a few years of this.
Speaker 5: They had one in Florida, I want to say, at the Temple, right, Yeah, we got to go to that. For some reason, they allowed no noise. Did I remember you being there? Yeah? This game, I remember, seriously. I was like, the ball was coming my direction. I was at the free throw line at our you know, the press table. So I'm watching this ball come and my first thought was that's got a chance, which is much like the.
Speaker 4: Shot the other night.
Speaker 5: But from my angle i'm looking at, I can still see that ball flying. I don't know if it was straight, but it definitely was the right length.
Speaker 2: And it went right.
Speaker 5: In and we got a good shot for underneath. Our photographer got a great shot. But was that Joe?
Speaker 4: That was Joe, Joe Pirates, my good buddy.
Speaker 2: And that was just fifth hundred.
Speaker 4: Yeah, they had a big party. They had a big cake in the locker room.
Speaker 5: Yeah, if I remember, Yeah, yeah, that was that was cool, very fun.
Speaker 6: What did that basketball? Has to be somewhere, right, that basketball that he made, it has to be somewhere somebody has to have that.
Speaker 2: I was probably grabbed myles, probably because it was five hundred true true. So right, yeah, what else it stands out anything to you that stood.
Speaker 6: Out about about overall? The place?
Speaker 2: Yeah? The place? So did you rank them or you just list them?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 6: No, I just listed them, And again it was Anthony's idea. I just I just went further on it. But yeah, there were you know, there's there's all kinds of uh pressure field long range or long long range long odd type of performance, the kind of performances that you that make you come out of your seat when they happened, if you could think of it that those are what those plays were that are listed there. I didn't realize that risk, but I hope I'm pronounced your name right. Bena made that one hundred and forty some foot shot to lift there. You know, the Arizona women's golf team to a championship. They won by one stroke. I mean, how pressure filled is that? And now what are the odds of that? Uh? You know, Anthony, Anthony brought that up, and that's that's something that maybe because you know people and I not think about golf, but I mean, think I got a shot like that, That's that's crazy, you know. The you know, I was there for that Craig McMillan shot twenty rows up. That was one of the few times that fans actually ran out of the court that I can remember. Mckel center that one.
Speaker 3: And they brought one up as well. And that was the night that Jason in ninety nine. Because you you'd already left, right, you left the town. Uh, And I was there.
Speaker 2: I was there because it's shocking that the U of A fans are storming the court on their old court because Stafford was number two at the time. Do you remember it was Jayson Terry right right, Jason.
Speaker 6: Terry, Yeah, yeah, that was That was a I know Richard Jefferson made it. It kind of a late shot too against Stanford.
Speaker 2: Yeah. And then in two thousand I don't remember this one, and that was there. I don't remember the court being stormed against UCLA in two thousand and two. It was a good game, I remember, but they came back from eighteen. Remember they rallied Oh yeah.
Speaker 3: In that same year, just maybe two three weeks before that, Oregon State had them by eighteen and they rallied with a huge run. But I don't remember them storming the court against UCLA. And then who could forget of course the Salem shot over Aaron Afflalo.
Speaker 6: Here, Yeah, that was that was. I listed that also just because of the degree of difficulty with that. Although a thirty five foot three pointer for Selim Sodomar is not pay like a twenty footer for most people.
Speaker 2: That's like you finished stories, Yeah, that's as easy as you could just.
Speaker 6: No, I just must have, right, I mean, I mean, Steve, there's another book for you, like the Most Pressure Filled Moments and u A sports things like that. I think I think a Maxidas as a freshman, I think of Mike Bibby. Nobody talks about this, their their championship run. Those fresh those free throws he made against College to Charleston at the end of the game. If he doesn't make those free throws called Charleston was right there, they could they can go down and take the lead. He made some two he made two like pressure filled free throws there at the end. That was huge. Well, he as a freshman.
Speaker 2: He did the same thing against Kansas.
Speaker 6: Right in fact, exactly.
Speaker 2: I don't know how you guys feel this. I know Miles played really well as the Planet of four and exactly got what he got for the final four MLP. But if I'm giving an m v P of the whole thing, I'm giving it to Bibby.
Speaker 4: I agree with you.
Speaker 6: I mean, Miles, Miles kind of he turned it on at the right time. But Mike Baby was was consistent and throughout you know, yeah, yeah, no it didn't.
Speaker 5: You mentioned you mentioned, you know, Max's field goals, but he had that run too. What was the game member he It was a game in tenpee where he kicked was it a fifty seven yard er? He kicked a couple of bombs that game and knocked a Asue out of the Rose Bowl. And then the next year, of course they went. But Max was so clutch for what his entire u of a career, including the one yeah you mentioned here. I think the first game I ever when I first got here in eighty three. This is the game you're talking about where he kicked a forty five yard er to beat him, and I just arrived in Tucson, like you know, a month before that. So he was always, you know, a special player to me into a lot of people, I'm sure.
Speaker 6: Yeah. The eighty five game you're talking about up there, he made two still goals in the fourth quarter. He made it one for fifty two. Yeah, and then Arizona was flagged for off sides or legal legal procedure or something like that, and they moved him five five yards back and Larry Smith still had him kick it, and it was like it was like a minute thirty minute to forty left, and the fifty seven yarder put them ahead or increase the lead. So I mean he made some big, some big field goals against ASU. They don't he was one of those Sun Devil killers. You big time with that to some of the field goals he made against them.
Speaker 2: Let's move real quickly for the next couple of minutes. You had a big story about the kids signing for their schools. I think you have maybe twenty the in camera here. Who are the Crown Jewels moving on?
Speaker 6: He's about cell Point actually, and he went there and you got like Talia Henderson going to North Carolina. There's a few other other top athletes moving on in baseball and so forth. You know, to twenty twenty athletes in one class signing, that's a lot. And that's the testament at sell Point. One of the big things is the football realignment. That's that happened this last week with with high schools. Uh sell Point is still in six A. They tried to move down to five A. But their success is really what what factors into that? Cdo went from four A to five A. Uh So they they chanced two years ago. Now they're in five A in a tough region in five A. So this communic to see how that plays out. But yeah, that that's that's some of the bigger things that have happened here the last week.
Speaker 2: Wasn't there an appeal to all that? And they they lost it? Or what happened?
Speaker 6: Well, they they there was an appeal to they went from four to five A. That was that was a couple of weeks ago. Then you could you could appeal that. CDIO did not appeal it because they felt like it would been a waste of time, so they didn't. They didn't peel it.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 6: Then then they were put in a tough five A region. Uh two days ago, they can have they can appeal their their placement in the region now, uh, you know, but the chance of them be moved out of that region to another five A region, it's pretty remote. So yeah, they decided not to appeel to move from four to five A because of their enrollment and because of the success they've had recently. They thought it would be an uphill battle, which it probably would have been. But yeah, cell point, they they have to stay at six A and they have Basha and Perry in their in their region, it is not easy.
Speaker 3: So right, well, tougher for Southern Arizona schools, I assume then, right, overall.
Speaker 6: Right, Morana loses quite a bit, but they have quite a bit back. I think they could challenge for the five A stay title because they have their their a lot of their offensive key players are back except the Desmond Roebuck. Pretty much everybody else is back. So it's it's it's gonna be. It's gonna be another good year. It's not gonna be a big drop off year. I think. I think it'll be another another good year for Southern Arizona. Michael Mount will be good again even though they lost Pat new Genet because they have Jay compos there now and a lot of players. You know, know what ja Accompass has done. I think they're gonna They're not gonna skip the beat. So I think they're gonna be the competitive right off the bat. So it should be another fun year next year.
Speaker 2: Javier, get some sleep. Now's your time. I'm giving you that time before six o'clock.
Speaker 6: I'm actually gonna go to Pima right now to watch the I'm going ahead of them to watch the women in men game, the big game to night, of.
Speaker 2: Course, sure are these big?
Speaker 6: These are big tonight, Yeah, the women especially they play Masa. Masa's ranked fifth in the nation and Pima's tenth so eight now so yeah, to be pretty fun.
Speaker 2: And the men's team are still undefeated.
Speaker 6: Yes, they're twenty three and now now Peabody two wins away from seven hundred overall, Well, what do.
Speaker 2: You don't sleep? You have all these things, get to these games, have your drink some coffee, stay awake, all right?
Speaker 6: I am I actually am okay? Thanks having thanks, thanks luck, guys, likes talking to you.
Speaker 2: Thanks, thanks so much. Dave. Let's take a break because we're a little over, and then we'll finish off this show with about twelve minutes. If you're an Arizona men's basketball fan, you know it's been successful for nearly forty years. Now take a look back at the Loudelsen era. In my new book, Lessons from Loot.
Speaker 3: It was a labor of love through the eyes of twenty five former players, coaches, and friends to give insight to the coach and the man who led them, competed against them, and inspired them twenty five chapters for his twenty five years.
Speaker 2: As Arizona's beloved coach. Lessons from Lut is an insight to how he built the program into a national powerhouse. Want one.
Speaker 3: Email me at Steve dot RIVERA ninety five at gmail dot com.
Speaker 19: KI this is formal wild get Lemanhunely with Arizona Health imagine how home GM can change your health, your comfort, and your time. Arizona Health is everything you need to transform your personal.
Speaker 2: Space in your life.
Speaker 19: We off a complete line of cardio machines, multi gyms, and freeway equipment. I'll certify fitness experts and technicians will set you up with the right equipment and training to get you started to keep you going. Visit our share room today at Second in Wilmot. Arizona Health the lead to edge and exercise equipment.
Speaker 15: What's your goal a new career or career advancement? How about transferring to a four year college. PEMA Community College can help you make Someday today and reach your goals affordably on your schedule. With over one hundred programs to choose from and financial laid available, it's time to earn the degreer certificate you need to prepare for the career you want. PEMA offers free career exploration classes so you can choose the field that's right for you. Learn how at Pima dot edu. Slash someday, Hey.
Speaker 2: Tucson, Steve rivera heir, and I've got a tip for you. Want to be in good hands while cruising the desert or kicking back at home, then you need to call my friends at the Edmund Marcus All State Agency. These guys are the MVPs of home and auto coverage. Whether it's a fender bender or a leaky roof, They've got you covered. Don't fumble your chance to say call them today and score big on your insurance.
Speaker 3: With the Edmund Marcus All State Agency, You're always in good hands. Visit them at twenty seven to nineteen North Campbell or call them at five teos zero three two three nine three three three.
Speaker 2: Selling your home? Want to get more money for it? Well, Danny Roth can help you. He told me about as you Flip the Home you Own program. The program allows for a homeowner to fix up their home to sell without using any of their own money. They will be able to sell the home for a much higher price. Danny Roth with Armny Holmes International is the real estate consultant in Tucson that offers this program. He has consistently been the.
Speaker 3: Top agent in Tucson for the last thirty years and has sold over ten thousand, five hundred homes. For more information on this program or just buying our selling a home, call Danny Roth at five to two zero four nine zero four thousand, Tucson.
Speaker 15: It's time for the Cola Guard Classic by Exact Sciences March seventh through the ninth at La Paloma Country Club and the Western La Paloma Resort and Spa. Come see some of golf's greatest players competing for the coveted Tucson can Quisador's helmet. It's PGA Tour Championship golf at its finest. Don't forget to join us Friday and Saturday Night under the Stars to watch Vanilla Ice and co ets So live in concert at Riedo Park the kolag Hard Classic by Exact Sciences benefiting colorectal cancer awareness in Tucson Youth sports. Get your tickets and more at Colo Guard Classic dot com. This that is brought to you by file Bomb, Crowley Investment Group at RBC Wealth Management, Streamy Live.
Speaker 1: On the Ihearts Radio WIP. This is Eye on the Ball with Steve Rivera on Fox Sports fourteen fifty.
Speaker 2: Hey, welcome back to about here. On Fox Sports fourteen fifty. I'm Steve, you're Dave. We got about I don't know, We've got about ten minutes, ten minutes.
Speaker 3: If anybody want to call in, We've got a couple of cal already.
Speaker 2: Five two zero, four, one, six, seventy four forty would have been your best moments in McHale or Sanset or Hi Corbett or Hillbrand. Yeah.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I'm sure there's lots of people listening who've also saw those games that you and I are at. I mean there's a big crowd of the veterans colicy in that day.
Speaker 3: This is our old bend old Man Radio that they were there. We got got a call. Oh, there they are.
Speaker 2: Hello, you're on the air. I the ball. Who's this.
Speaker 10: Or I don't know. Last night was one of the top three. I mean on Monday night, it's Howard.
Speaker 2: Okay, the top three? Give me the possible other two.
Speaker 10: I don't know. I mean, like I say that Washington game with dead left up, that was pretty That was a game, because what I know, I said it on Monday on Monday.
Speaker 11: And what else was a good game?
Speaker 4: I think?
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 10: Oops, I mean that.
Speaker 2: Is there.
Speaker 11: I'm here yeah, yeah, go ahead.
Speaker 10: Anyway, there's a funny thing. On the first half of Monday's game. I was watching my phone to look at.
Speaker 11: The sun score.
Speaker 2: Hold you got a call coming into so just hold line for the second color.
Speaker 10: But yeah, yeah, hold on, we could tell them.
Speaker 2: I'll be I'll be brief anyway. Go ahead, Yeah, I'll just be brief.
Speaker 10: I'm just saying, I guess we have no rules just right, thing because I always thought the rules we only put at the end of the hour. But people are calling right from the skit go like when you're on at three o'clock.
Speaker 2: It's a popular come on, it's a popular show. Howards.
Speaker 11: Okay, it's all good.
Speaker 10: Uh, that's all I really wanted.
Speaker 2: To say that. Thanks, we'll see but but hello, you're on the air.
Speaker 3: The Hey, Hey it's Doug again.
Speaker 11: How's it going.
Speaker 3: We talked about you a couple of days ago, Right, No, I was here, did you Okay?
Speaker 4: I was here?
Speaker 18: Game?
Speaker 6: Was there?
Speaker 2: I called on Monday before the game? Yeah right, yeah.
Speaker 11: Yeah exactly.
Speaker 3: So I haven't had a chance to listen to your show this afternoon. I don't know if I'm int rupt doing something that you guys had go in there with you, Howard. I know, I'm helping my mom with chores.
Speaker 2: What can I say?
Speaker 3: But I stepped away to call you guys.
Speaker 11: So you should be honored.
Speaker 3: But hey, is this a good time to ask Dave his opinion about local sports TV?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 11: Yeah, yeah, yes, we have time.
Speaker 6: Yes, what do you want to know?
Speaker 3: Well, yeah, I just maybe you guys have talked about this in years past, but I mean I've never really heard anything official about why local news stations has kind of gone away from the dedicated sports segment. And it seems like sometimes they have it, sometimes they don't. Is it seasonal like here in Tucson. Maybe they do have it during you a basketball season and then they go away from it during the summer. You know, what's the pattern there? And like, I don't know what's the future of local sports broadcasting.
Speaker 5: That's a good question, you know, not being there and not really knowing the exact answers to those things. I think a lot of that is research That used to drive me crazy when I was in the business. They would come back and then tell you, hey, you know, people don't really care about this, you know, don't do stories about that. You might want to do more stories about this. I think that's kind of where we are. I think that's what's happened is that the research has said maybe there's not a super interest in local sports. I know it's hard for us to sit here and say that used to drive me crazy.
Speaker 2: At the most at your taps at your tops, Dave, how much time did you.
Speaker 4: Have at my tops?
Speaker 5: I mean on a good night, when a busy night, I could probably get five minutes.
Speaker 2: Wow, And that's double the time probably now on.
Speaker 5: An average night three three and a half basically, And I had used to fight for it if there was, you know, a lot going on. I mean there were some days, very busy times, especially this time of year in the winter, when you're running into you know, multiple u of a sports and then spring training is rolling in and rodo rodeo golf, all that stuff's happening in the same week, you know, and I just turned them and go, how can I cover all this?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 3: But and you want to have a pretty I mean, you had a much bigger stat that seems that what they have. I mean a lot of times I'm seeing now that they just have the news people do a little sports segment.
Speaker 6: And call it a day.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but you guys had.
Speaker 3: Like the main guy like yourself in the studio, and then you'd throw it out to somebody in the field who's at the event, maybe two different field people, and it just seems like it's really dwindled. Is that because of you know, just all the other information sources. Where people are you know, getting their sports news?
Speaker 6: What's happen?
Speaker 4: I think you're probably right. I mean yeah, I mean we used.
Speaker 5: To dedicate high school football coverage on those Friday nights. I would get, you know, close to ten minutes, and sometimes we even extend to the newscast. We just keep on going past past ten thirty five, and that would be the you know, our football show.
Speaker 4: I don't even know.
Speaker 5: I remember that fad anymore, which was a shame because that was really kind of our pride and joy. It was hard, really hard work to do that, sure, but you know, you'd come back at nine thirty with five or six games of highlights and you had to try to figure out all the plays and who the names were, and you know, looking at rosters and stuff.
Speaker 4: That was hard.
Speaker 11: So Doug, well, yeah, I'm sure, I'm sure.
Speaker 2: Where do you get your news locally? Well?
Speaker 11: I mean, I still well.
Speaker 3: I subscribe to the online paper, the tusun dot com, so I read every article about you of a sports that I can consume. I keep an eye on Twitter, which I tried to stay off of it, but yeah, it is kind of a place that people go to post announcements. You know, I'll watch I'll watch some of the cable news networks on my sports package.
Speaker 11: So it's a variety of things like that.
Speaker 3: But I mean, growing up ten twenty, I mean all my friends and family knew don't call me from ten twenty to ten thirty, because that was appointment TV for me. I always wanted to watch the sports highlights, even if I had already watched the game. It's just fun to see, you know, the postgame locker room interviews and even you know, interviewing the posing coaches. And I miss a lot of that. I feel like we'll get, you know, you know, twenty five second little highlight package.
Speaker 2: On Hey you have they played Duke.
Speaker 3: Today and then and then they just move on to the next local news story.
Speaker 2: It's it's a shame.
Speaker 3: But Steve, I was going to ask you, do you have a second Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, sure, of course. First, I mean so let me wipe my eye because you did not mention reading my column. So Dave, so give me the tissue on kind of wipe my you.
Speaker 6: This is true. I'm sorry you forgot all right, So if we can make an absolute.
Speaker 3: Given that Dave is on the Dave Silvers on the Mount Rushmore of Tucson TV.
Speaker 4: I'm not going to make him.
Speaker 3: Say it, but you and I can agree that Dave is on the Mount Rushmore of local sports TV newsman. I don't know the proper term. Who else do you throw on there? Who else can you throw on there? And I would open it up to Dave too.
Speaker 2: Of course. That's that's tough. Because I came along a little after Dave. I've knew his counterparts in terms of his competition, So I'm not going to include the uh.
Speaker 4: Talking about local local sports?
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah, local local I mean.
Speaker 11: To me like Dan Ryan.
Speaker 3: I mean Dan Ryan was a great local guy too. Who are some of your other contemporaries, Dave, I'm actually drawing it, Bland.
Speaker 2: Let me tell you something. I think the guy who deserves to be on there because he's been here a long time, knows his stuff and is not a TV guy ego wise, and that's Damian. We had him on Damien Alameda.
Speaker 3: That's true. Yes, absolutely to do dude loves to do his job. Uh Channel nine, Uh well you were there forever. I don't even Channel thirteen.
Speaker 5: Thirteen went through a number of I mean, Kevin mckab obviously was here.
Speaker 2: Then Dave Cooney, Oh yeah, Kevin m Tom Leander.
Speaker 5: You know, Tom Leander has parlayed his career into a nice gig with the Sons, right, he's been there for a long time, but he was He was like Kevin's, you know, second guy for a couple of years here mckab.
Speaker 2: If if we didn't include McCabe, he would he would shoot us. But he doesn't deserve it.
Speaker 3: He was a good one. I think was it Soul massiahs that was at N thirteen for a while. Yeah, he didn't he didn't do sports. Oh okay, I'm sorry, No, I'm trying to remember who it was that did like the Friday Fred whatever they would call it.
Speaker 2: And how can you know?
Speaker 5: What about the crazy guys Todd.
Speaker 3: Grisham, although they step back journalism Oh yeah, yeah, yeah. I even joked about that because their skits were like Goldie crap, How were you allowed to put this on TV?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 4: They were doing like Saturday Night Live material.
Speaker 3: And don't forget our guy at that NBC now, Dan Hicks, Dan Hicks, I mean, hell.
Speaker 2: He wasn't here for a breath.
Speaker 11: Oh that's right, Yeah, he was local guy.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Well, Dave, I just want you to know that I think the conversation starts with you. So, I mean, we really, we really respect all the years you gave this community on TV, and I'm glad you're still, you know, making your voice heard on the local sports team. We you know, you really have a good finger on the pulse, just like Steve does.
Speaker 2: Oh sure, with that, Doug, you've been vindicated.
Speaker 4: Thank you, thank you?
Speaker 3: All right, well anyway, thank you. Yeah, yeah, yeah, it's just fun to it's just fun to reminisce on that. But yeah, hopefully it's not a completely dying art because hopefully, I think there's still a place for local, local sports to be covered in lots of different media. Well all right, guys, thanks guys. With that, we got we've got to go, guys, we gotta go. Thanks, that's a whole show you should do. But thank you. Yeah.
Speaker 5: Yeah, Well, but the past the past. Know what's happened to the local sports cast?
Speaker 2: Oh yeah yeah yeah, Well thanks Dave, we got to go okay,