Speaker 1: Hello, and welcome to buck is tomorrow morning for Friday, July thirty first, thirty six days until the ball State game the Michigan game in one hundred and twenty days. I am Tonie Gerdaman. Here with Marcus Hartman, we are presented by Jeffruby's Columbus, proudly offering nationally acclaimed USDA Prime Stakes, seafood and sushi, and peckable service, live entertainment and attention to detail that is simply unmatched. Go to jeffruby dot com slash Columbus to check out the menu and make a reservation. Today, Marcus Day three here at Big Tim Media Days. We have wrapped up talking with the Michigan contingent, particularly Kyle Whittingham. And boy, he does not hate Ryan Day and doesn't see hate as necessary in this rivalry. Who does he think he is?
Speaker 2: I know, I know right well, I thought it was interesting. I'm still deciding exactly what I thought about everything. But because I could kind of see, I used to have a theory that Michigan didn't take the rivalries seriously enough. Obviously, then you had the big deal with Jim Harbaugh making it basically ripping off all the things that Jim Tressel did and making it a daily thing. Right. He sounds like that is most definitely not what they're doing now under Winningham. So we'll see if that is a good thing or a bad thing. I guess we'll get it in November, because he did say, you know, there's you've got to worry about the other eleven games first, and he said about both Ohio State and Michigan State, you don't want to overdo it with a rivalry because there will be diminishing returns. And that might be something that sounds correct unless you have paid close attention to this rivalry, in which case I think is typically not been correct. So we'll see. So I'm just right now that's kind of running through my brain. You know how that might turn out well.
Speaker 1: I think when you're winning it, whatever you're doing is correct, that's true. When you're losing whatever you're doing, you've done too much, You've wound your team up too much, or you have made them not care enough. I think what the difference here with Kyle Whittingham is he has no ill will yet towards Ohio State, and the only thing he knows about is really is from urban Meyer, and of course everybody knows about it, but he's not been inculcated, he's not been in it. Have something go poorly, and I bet I'll start having a little hate in his heart.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't, And that part maybe I said I don't. You can maybe get around and some people really don't like the hate word anyway. But kind of two things with that one. I think we'll talk about it. That the respect is a good thing, and they talked about that coming back, and that's a positive. I don't know that the coach has to hate the other team, but I do think that there's just a balance to strike there. And if you come in, we learn from the John Cooper years, if you come in and you're not at the right level to begin with, it's hard to then hit that mark. You're going to overshoot it. Uh. And I kind of think, you know, I think some of the Michigan coaches of the last few years have done that as well. Before Harbaugh you know, made it made it change when he said they were He came here and said they were going to beat Ohio State or die trying, which was a funny joke to everybody. And then except they did beat They did not die right at least right off, but they.
Speaker 1: Did a lot of trying in various ways. Because the reason I bring it up is he was winning him was asked, have you been around long enough? Have you learned to hate Ohio State? Yet? Then he said, hates a strong word. So I went ahead. I threw that quote on Twitter because I knew what it would do. And you've got Buckeye fan saying, oh, he's cooked. He doesn't know, he doesn't And it's like, the thing is they still the players still play. That players have been losing, they've been winning. Certainly Bryce Underwood doesn't want to lose again. But the thing that you mentioned is the respect is back, because Winningham said, I don't I've never you know, I know Ryan Day. We've not gone out to dinner. But there was such a lack of respect from Harbaugh towards Ohio State and Ryan Day some of the things he said, Certainly Sharon Moore, I don't know they'd respected anything, and Ryan Day hard to respect what went on there. And now that's gone. And that's one of the things that winning Gham said that they can move on because it was the adults that were doing the bad stuff, not the kids. Yeah, yeah, so I think you've got an opportunity to be a nice, clean physical rival. Again, perhaps I think so.
Speaker 2: I think so. And you know, there were some moments of nastiness with the players, but I tend to agree it was pretty much caused by the coaches, because it's again that they're they're young guys. They've got to you've got there's different things. Sometimes you say things and what you actually do in real life, and sometimes the coach has to explain those things to them because it's nice. You think, you say, oh yeah, let's go get in a fight or something like that. That'll be cool and we'll be we'll be tough. And but no, you really don't want to do that, especially frequently, you know, not every time. You know, if you if you have a scuffle once every seven or eight games, okay, whatever, but you it can't be sometime that's like you think, is going to happen every game. That's too much.
Speaker 1: Now, you send a bench player out there, not Marcus Hall. You know, you don't send a starter to start a fight. You send somebody somebody else.
Speaker 2: Well, and that was after they were swarming Ohio State's return to me in right.
Speaker 1: That's Dontre Wilson. Yeah, yeah, that's what it was, and their shoot Lloyd Carr. I still remember the ninety sixth at least how I remember the ninety six senior day. He sent in Michigan out there while Greg Bellisaria was being introduced with his family on Senior Day, and it's like that was disrespectful. Jim Tressel having the the the drug sniffing dogs in two thousand and four, hold Michigan up. That's just safety. That's just a safety concern basically. But what did you make of Kyle Woodingham saying if you were there or not when they got to Michigan, he was pretty shocked at how underperforming they were in terms of strength levels, and they've worked on getting that, but basically the team failing all of these strength metrics is pretty alarming. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I was there for that. That was pretty interesting that. Yeah, he even said, well, yeah, we had all these like long, tall, good looking athletes, but they all were lacking in the strength minchmarks we thought they should be at. So you know that that was definitely interesting and I'm willing to believe that, you know, that's not an unusual thing that a coach will come in and whip guys into shape.
Speaker 1: For best summers ever, best off season ever.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I mean I think for sure if you watched Michigan they were definitely lacking something physically last year. Sometimes that can be there can be multiple or there's different ways that that can come about. But so I'm willing to believe that wasn't just coach speak.
Speaker 1: What do you make of Kyle Whittingham talking about how they're going to use Bryce Underwood and referencing Devin Dan Pierre, the quarterback in Utah last year who rushed for about eight hundred and sixty yards two for about twenty four hundred. They've got a big quality athlete at quarterback who's big and strong, but eight hundred yards rushing seems like that's going to be hard to do or if it is who we're doing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I don't know what Bryce Underwood's thoughts on it are. He may have been asked, but I thought Whittingham it was definitely there was no equivocation to it. He said, in college football, the quarterback has to run, and it wasn't even just like, oh, well, he has to be able to scramble. I mean he meant like the quarterback run game is part of the offense. So that was definitely interesting. And again because one thing we've had this discussion before, you know, it'd be curious to know he barely ran it all last year because he didn't want to because they didn't want him to run. I mean I tend to think they should have wanted him to run at least some I mean J. J. McCarthy ran in design runs and things like that, and they even had a wildcat quarterback, so it was kind of part of their previous offenses. So you just kind of wonder there when you've got a star guy coming in and if there's certain things they do or don't want to do. And Whittingham kind of passed that off as he goes, oh, well, he was like under pressure all the time and the offensive line, you know, because which I mean some look true, but still there's there's certain ways you can kind of construct an offense. Their offense was not constructed.
Speaker 1: Last well, exactly there was why wasn't this done? Why wasn't this developed? It's I mean, take a look at what's going on and you start to get a clearer picture defensively mentioned Rod Moore, who we've seen as not we've not seen the last couple of years. A safety said he's fully go said he well, so he feels better than he has in a long time, and which is a relative term because he's been out the last two years. Him back. There another safety that they got from Bracy. I think Bracy Carter wasn't they but transferred in from Memphis who he said, like, those are their top two guys and Chris Bracy, I'm sorry and Rod Moore? Are any concerns there? I mean, Ohio State's bringing in a safety who didn't play last year, but you're your top two guys, one from small school, one has been out for two years as your last line of defense. Any thoughts on that?
Speaker 2: I mean with more I honestly just assumed he was completely out of eligibility, So I didn't. I mean, because that will be I think this will be his sixty years. It might be, and so because he was yah, because he was around in twenty two and twenty three for sure. So at any rate, I mean, yeah, you've got to wonder if that happens with guys where you have those knee injuries that are kind of occurring and it's hard to stay healthy or even whatever your one hundred percent is. And it's not like he was an absolute physical specimen to begin with. I mean, he was obviously plenty athletic enough to be a major college football safety, but he wasn't Rod.
Speaker 1: Woodson or any right that It's not Erner.
Speaker 2: So yeah, that's interesting to see vision see how some of those things come together. I know they've got a handful of transfers. I don't think that they overdid it, but they've got a few guys of these Utah guys too that are looked at that'll be uh probably be useful players for them, and then then we'll kind of see how it shakes out.
Speaker 1: Yeah, some of those Utah guys JJ Buchanan slot receiver, slash tight ends sixty three two fifteen fast, John Henry Daily defensive end who had like sixteen and a half tackles for lost last year, still coming off of an achilles injury though, So we'll see how that goes. Anything that you picked up that you you don't want to throw out there, anything that we've we haven't covered.
Speaker 2: Well, I mean, he was definitely and again it's it's July and August. So these are the kinds of things that are said. But I mean when I was over, I was there for the beginning, in the end, and then I went to another interview in between. You know, he was very much effusive about the offensive line. He said he wants to have ten offensive linemen who can play, which is a lot I think in college football these days, and they're looking for they feel like these guys have developed some strength. They've got a lot of athletes. He compared a couple of guys to you know, guys they just had at Utah who were first round picks. So obviously that's where it starts. I mean, he said that too. You know, it starts at the line of scrimmage and those things, and those are the things to say. But it'll be curious to see just how those things transfer because obviously they did not get it done on the line of scrimmage last year, especially against Ohio State, but really in any of the games that mattered. So that's that's a good place to start building them. You know, my thing with Michigan is, you know, you know, what will the skill guys be like in the long run. But I'm really on both sides of the wall, because that's where they've kind of lacked there a lot more often than not in the last twenty years when they weren't good, and even actually some of their good teams didn't have great skill players either. So it'll be curious. It'd be interesting to see how that all shakes out. I mean, if you can revamp the lines, and then what else have you got behind him?
Speaker 1: Well, and he said Jordan Marshall running back is obviously they're number one already, said Savian Hyder. The freshman is their number two. I don't recall him talking anything about it. Nobody asked about Andrew Marrish receiver or Jamie French to transfer from Texas, So yeah, there are some questions there. Overall, he did like his defensive ends. So they've got five guys, including Carter Meadows, the freshman who didn't get in until June. They're like nine freshmen not en roll early, which you know, in roll in June, which is now enrolling late. So we'll see how that goes well.
Speaker 2: One I guess the one other thing he did say, because I know this has been a topic, I think he went out of his way to say that the spring game. Bryce struggling in the spring game was more of a fact that they had the jumbled offensive line, because they did. I assume that means they did a draft kind of the way they used to do in the trestle eight days, which and that would happen. That's to something that very frequently happened with the offensive lines at the spring games for Ohio States. So I thought it was interesting that he went out of his way to mention that. And you know, we'll kind of see what that what that means in the long run.
Speaker 1: And we always say, don't take too much from the spring game. But it was like he looked exactly like he did the previous season, which shouldn't be. But Justin Fields also didn't look great in his spring game at Ohio State as a secondary guy.
Speaker 2: But well that was just well, but I mean his first spring.
Speaker 1: Game, don't ye yah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 2: Right, But that is something a lot of time even I think I think feel uh, I think CJ. Stroud had as spring game, but you know who else had miss spring games? H Kyle McCord and Devin Brown.
Speaker 1: There you go, there you go a great way to end the show. So yeah, we are now wrapped up from Big ten media days in Chicago and we can now soon head home, but we do want to thank you all for tuning in and as always thank Jeff Rubies Steakhouse for sponsoring the show, sponsoring the program, and of course if you all would like to find us, you can find us at Buckeye Siders dot com. Would love to see you there. Support I guess there is the best way to support us. Actually that signing up there is the best way to support us. Would love to see you there and that will do it for here. Thank you all for tuning in and we will talk to you all later.
Speaker 2: H