Speaker 1: Hey, everybody, welcome to Game This Morning's with me Jeff Grub, your host from giant bomb dot com. Thank you for tuning in. In this episode, we're going to be talking about a huge unannounced PlayStation five game that might finally be leaking and Nintendo's unhinged pricing gets a lot of feedback. It's gonna be a good one because we have Rachel Kaser on the show. Rachel, how are you doing?
Speaker 2: Hello, Jeff. You knew what I was going to talk about today. You knew it because I sent you like a bunch of like all caps messages in the middle of the Nintendo Direct.
Speaker 1: Now here's the thing. I figured we could just start talking about it right here. I know what's in your heart, you know what you have the floor, so.
Speaker 2: You might have heard, like every time I'm on this show, even if it's I don't even have to have my face on the screen. If I'm just in the chat talking about Fire Emblem.
Speaker 1: Well, okay, let's be clear that ur Beyonetta one of the other fair But.
Speaker 2: You know I didn't get a new Bayonetta, but I did get a new Fire Emblem game. It looks good, and you better believe I was like rewinding and you know, going over the trailer like inch by inch, like, oh, what is this? Is this going to be in the same universe as Three Houses? Is this tying together multiple universes?
Speaker 1: Well, okay, so wait you you pay attention to that stuff. You're talking to a man who does not. That's not to say I'm not interested, Like I'm always curious when I'm not playing the game. When I'm playing the game, like get me to the tactics, but later I'll be thinking about it. Like there's some interesting characters in there, and they have like relationships and whatever. But the dragon lady that was in your head at Three Houses, she was in this trailer. They kind of like tease that at the end. What do you think that means? Like what is that saying to you?
Speaker 2: Well, it's the same voice actress, So that could be that could be a misdirect there. They don't actually say it's the same character. I mean, she has very similar.
Speaker 1: But it does look different, yeah, but not like so different. It couldn't be the same person.
Speaker 2: It could be the same person. So it could either be a prequel because she wasn't always a child. The small sothis her name, is the character's name, the person who is in your head in three Houses. She wasn't always a child.
Speaker 1: She has button disease. She goes back and forth.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, she I mean that'll happen when you're an immortal sometimes you're in a kid. It's it's the It's reminded me of that fairy tale where the fairy queen gets shrunk down and stuck at a flowery So of course I'm digging into my European folklore here. But yeah, so it's possible it could be a prequel as well. But there but there's a big arena at the opening of the trailer, and that is a setting that looks a lot like one in Awakening. So like the Reddit threads are a fire on our slash fire and Lamar just absolutely going nuts over the weekend.
Speaker 1: Okay, well, then let me ask when did you originally get into fire Emblom. Was it with Awakening? Did you kind of jump aboard with when everyone else? Because that's when I like finally really played that series. So rank the ones you've played like since then, like what are your what's your favorite, what's your least favorite? And then we'll go on with the show.
Speaker 2: My favorite is Awakening. My second favorite is three Houses. My third favorite is what's the one.
Speaker 1: The most engage?
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, I do like engage and uh well I well, I would say the Actually I would say no. The third one is actually fire emblum sacred stones. I like sacred stones. Uh. Fourth is fire emblom, blazing sword, fifth is fire emblem, shadow Dragon. Sixth is fire emblem. That is fire and woman engage. Actually so once I because there's a lot of fire and momen games, I'm having to go back in my register a little bit and like knock them down. Honestly. My least favorite is probably Fates, which sucks because I didn't really like Fates for a while and the cha yeah it walked so that three Houses could run. But at the same time, like, oh, I really didn't like the way the world, like the fact that they didn't even have a name for the continent in Fates, like every other game in the series.
Speaker 1: Has made proper nouns.
Speaker 2: Yep, yeah, this one took place in Fodland. This one took place in Arkanea. And you know, it's a big motif in the series. You know, the the the overarching world that all of these little squabbles are taking place within and they didn't have that in Fates. It felt kind of like they didn't really commit to the bit.
Speaker 1: Yep, I'm excited about this one. This one looks really like they are I don't know. It looks to me like they're stepping it up, like they're really going to go for it. They're going to take advantage of this thing coming out on the switch to I'm a big fan of Fire one, so we'll see what this game's able to deliver.
Speaker 2: There is a there's a lady with a gun in the trailer too. I don't know if you saw that.
Speaker 1: I didn't. I heard someone mention that, I like, I guess I didn't, like go back to look what kind of gun.
Speaker 2: It looks like it's a pistol. It's a small sidear right. I mean, it moves a little too fast for me to be able to tell the make and model, but it's you know, it's enough to fit in one hand, and she's fighting somebody with a for reasons I'm not quite clear on. But I saw that. I'm like, Oh, where's that going to fit in the weapon triangle?
Speaker 1: Right exactly? How are they going to like I can imagine a character just focused around the gun. That Okay, yeah, I'm excited. I'm looking forward to it. I thought that was a good way to end that direct. We should get on with the show. So let's explain ourselves and what we do here. This is Giant Bomb. We're a small team of independent video game dufases who rely on your support to make cool stuff. We're out there doing the independent games media thing, and we can only really make that happen with you all behind us. You have shown up and we are so thankful to everyone who has. If you want to join and help us out even more, you can go to giant bomb dot com slash join. Become a premium member, get the ad free versions of the shows, get extra goodies. We've done a couple of the bonus voicemails now for voicemail dump Truck. It's been a lot of fun and you should all become a part of it. Giant bomb dot com slash join. As far as this show goes most weekdays, I Jeff Greb will help peace your gaming life together. That includes breaking news and maybe even some of our own original reporting. For all these topics, I'll get the input of a bona fide expert who will make me look smart. You are watching live on Twitch Welcome. You can always listen to the show later on podcast feeds by searching for game Mes Mornings, or find the RSS feed on GiantBomb dot com. You can also catch the show later with chapters and timestamps on YouTube. Hello YouTube, Sorry, little macho man, Randy Savage to get us started this morning? All right, let's get on on with it right here, yes, exactly. Marvel's Venom reportedly still in active development, Wolverine targeting twenty twenty six launch. This is from Alex Hopley at Game Reactor, Insomniac's next game might be joining the megaslate of twenty twenty six releases, as a recent report points to Marvel's Wolverine still targeting next year for its launch. Also, the same report tells us that Marvel's Venom game is still in active development. The potential details of its protagonists also revealed. This report comes from MP First, which has spoken to a verified source about Marvel's Wolverine still being on track for twenty twenty six. We've not seen anything official for the game in years, but speculation points to it appearing at an upcoming PlayStation state of Play event. In regards to Venom, the game is reportedly still an active development and hasn't gone the way of the Spider Verse game Insomniac has been cooking up currently. It's suspected the game is in pre production, as Wolverine remains the priority. Speaking to other sources, MP First couldn't verify. Apparently, the game's protagonists could be Eddie Brock with a look much closer to his comic representation. Kletis Cassidy would return as Carnage too, with a more monstrous anti Venom also appearing in the game. All right, so a couple of things in the story Marvel's Wolverine still in twenty twenty six, we could start there. This sounds right to me. When I ask about it, I definitely hear like it's phrased me in such a way where it's like, yeah, they are they intend to get that game out in twenty twenty six, and I think they want to. And if they are ready to commit to that, I could see them bringing a trailer, a something to this next state of play that probably will happen before the end of the month, and say yeah, this is out next year, but they have a couple other games like they want to get out first for sure. That's like the God of War spin off. There's a couple other things, but that would be their big game for next year. And Sony at the very least does seem like they want to have bit one big first party game a year at least, maybe maybe two, and then some other ones that are like just slightly below that tier. But like Your Ghost to Yota, your Astrobot, and now this year where next year I should say, would be Marvel's Wolverine. Does that sound right to you? It's been quite some time since we first heard about this game, it feels like we're getting close to it being due.
Speaker 2: Well, we got Silk Song. What other white whales do we have to Yes, good point. Which ones are still out there that we have heard from in a while?
Speaker 1: Yep? Exactly?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean that sounds that sounds about right, because we haven't. I'm trying to think if I've heard of any major PlayStation five titles, like specifically PlayStation five titles in twenty twenty six. And yeah, there's definitely a very big, insomniac sized hole in the calendar so, and maybe I'm being a little cynical here, but for when it's coming out, I'm trying to think, like, ooh, what's a good quarter in the year where they don't have something else holding down the releases. Yep, So I'm gonna guess probably not Q one or Q two because of a certain juggernaut that we all know about. They don't want. I don't think even Insomniac wants to compete with that.
Speaker 1: Right again, definitely the Marvel Universe from Insomniac seems like I could stand up against a lot. Probably not GTA. You're right they will. That's why. Yeah, we'll probably get a twenty twenty six window if they say anything, and then they'll decide later how to position things once they really know when GTA six is coming out, Because I think everyone's sort of still skeptical about that release date that they have right now, which is May twenty sixth. I want to say, I think they're still skeptical of that, so we'll see. Oh yeah for sure. So you know, if that does hit on the on the twenty sixth of May, then I expect Wolverine to release in the fall.
Speaker 2: But yeah, see, my my first thought is probably just like Ghost of Yota. If they want to make sure there's not a steep drop off in that quarter, they're probably gonna go with with Wolverine in that like a corresponding October maybe September released.
Speaker 1: Then there is the other game from Insomniac. Let's see here. It's sorry, just hit my standing desk and it almost knocked my camera over there. That would have been fun. The other game from Insomniac, make me see sick, Jeff, uh huh, Marvel's Venom. Marvel's Venom is that this would be a spin off of the Spider Man games. You got to play his venom in Spider Man two. It always seemed like, well, clearly, this will just be the next sort of expand alone game, similar to what happened with Miles Morales. They now to do this within them. They are taking their time to the point where it's like it might be even bigger than that, although Miles Morales was already a big enough game for sure, but this was one that was rumored for a long time, definitely seemed obvious. And then there was those Insomniac leaks where it was in there was like that was going to be the next game, actually before Wolverine even, and then when it became clear that that wasn't happening, I think there was a lot of guessing that this game might be canceled, done on the shelf. They're not doing anything with it really anymore. They've already done that with a couple other Spider Man projects. They have the X Men games that they're making years from now, apparently that they got to get to work on. So really, is this game happening? And it sounds like maybe, yeah, it is still happening, And I think that makes sense because they again, they've already done a lot of the work to get a character like that moving and working, and that's probably half the battle of making a fun game. Now have to like make all the content. I'm sure that's a lot of work, but you have something good. So when do you think we see this Venom game? If it's in pre production still.
Speaker 2: The funny thing is when at the top of the show you said something about a new PS five game, I will be honest, my first thought if it's not a twenty twenty six release, is are we looking at a PS six game? Maybe?
Speaker 1: Yeah, and it's not. I mean so anything after twenty twenty six is definitely a possibility for a new PlayStation console. Now, they probably draw this this generation a little bit longer, so but yeah, you're right, this game comes comes out in twenty twenty eight.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm still annoyed that they're still releasing so many games on the PS four and the Xbox One, Like, did we ever transition fully into this generation transition?
Speaker 1: Don't know what generations are now.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't feel strongly about it at all, But not to bring the mood down, but do you think maybe they stalled because we lost Tony Todd?
Speaker 1: I mean, it's a possible, but I mean I think that the delay seemed to be happening before that, before Tony Todd passed away.
Speaker 2: So but I mean, not that they can't find anyone else as vent to be the choice of Venom, But I thought that was a I thought that was like kind of the big hook is that we have this really creepy, scary voice for UH to play Venom alongside well, alongside Peter Parker, but you know, alongside of potential Eddie brock yep.
Speaker 1: I yeah, I think that it's probably something we're like, yeah, they'll have to go ahead and cast someone new. But I don't think that would delay the development at all. I think that was more just about them reorganizing their priorities and like and realizing, hey, we got to like make some X Men games, Like we have multiple X Men games and the pipeline, and you know these are we're talking about twenty thirty now and beyond, but they probably are like we want we don't want to like you know, Dilly Dowdell and take our time too much. So let's go ahead and be more focused and really just try to get these games out and not overwhelm ourselves.
Speaker 2: Yeah, be understandable, and I'll be honest, Jeff. I felt kind of like Venom got like under in Spider Man two, Like all of the fights with Venom were in in like interior settings, even like venomized other characters, Like everything was like in these like small arenas, like where was the like the like the Sandman battle at the beginning, where you fight him across the entirety of New York City, Like why couldn't we do that with Venom? So I guess I would really look forward to a hypothetical Venom game where we got to rampage across New York. I mean, even when you played as Venom in that game, it didn't feel like you were playing as like you weren't like this force of nature rampaging across the city. You were just mostly mostly reckoned one office building.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I think that's why it always felt like a demo, a prototype for the game, because it just it felt like just kind of stuffed in there in a way that wasn't supernatural. Supernatural wasn't natural feeling. So, but hey, they're going to find a way to deliver on that, apparently, I guess as their next game after Wolverine. Uh, I guess how are you feeling about Let's talk about the Sony first party output overall, how are you feeling about it? Like, you know, Insomniac definitely had been carrying the torch there for a while there deliver delivering a lot of these games, even they are taking a little bit longer. Now are you happy with this? And then happy with Insomniac continuing to work on Marvel variations for the next you know, Tennis years.
Speaker 2: I I would love to see them try I would love to see them have the breathing room to try something out. But I kind of understand in this in the way things are right now, I understand if the best scenario, I as much as I would love to see variety, I would love more for everyone at Insomniac and Sucker Punch and Bungee in every other Sony studio, I would love more for them to have jobs in the next ten years. Yeah, so I think planning. I think for Insomniac specifically having doing Marvel games, that's that's more of a guarantee. There's no guarantee in the industry. I think Star Wars Outlaws prove that, but there but I think that's a much safer bet then say, you know, here's a totally new ip. Insomniac, make it and show us what you can do. I hate it. I hate that that's not really an option. That doesn't really feel like an option for them right now. But hey, Insomniac make a Wolverine game. That's that there's a reason we can't find joy in that too.
Speaker 1: Yep. Uh, you know, I think we get to this, uh, this state of play, we get a good look at Wolverine and then and then speculation can begin more on on what the X Men game is going to look like and what Venom's going to be. And in the meantime, it's like, Yeah, I don't think we're going to get a Ratchet and Clank again anytime soon, But I don't. I also don't think they're I don't think they're like done with it. I just think it's like a longer ways off than it might otherwise be if they didn't have these bigger games to work on.
Speaker 2: Was the last one ended on a on a cliffhanger, didn't it?
Speaker 1: Probably they usually do, I think so, yeah, or at least a tease for something next, I think is what I remember. That's a good game, man. The best games on PlayStation five Astrobot and Ratchet and Clay Rift apart, I did live apart. It's a good three D platforming console and they should own it over there at Sony. They should be proud of that, all right. Borderlands four peaks just under three hundred thousand concurrent players. This is from Jack Valentine at Dual Shockers Gearbox Software's latest entry in the Borderlands franchise. Borderlands four is, by all accounts, a return to form, and our review we said Borderlands four is undoubtedly my favorite Borderlands game to date. It is a culmination of everything that the franchise has learned thus far and then some. It's been a wonderful step forward for the franchise after the disappointment that was Borderlands three. We're not the only ones that feel this way either. Currently, the game has a mighty rating on Open Critic of ninety seven percent or with ninety seven percent of critics recommending the game with an average score of eighty five. At first glance, that doesn't seem too impressive compared to its predecessors, which has an average score of eighty one. There's a catch there, It's only recommended by seventy eight percent of critics in that case. Also, there's a huge difference between eighty one and eighty five on Open Critic. Either way, the game launched and was kind of like shot right up the Steam charts, even though it does have a lot of issues on PC. It got up to nearly three hundred thousand concurrent players on Steam, which is a big number. That's a very big number. It's not as big as Hollow Night Silk Song. People might remember the five hundred thousand the other day. That's an anomaly. Three hundred thousand for a big, new massive game is still very huge, and the game I'm sure is doing probably even better on consoles where it's not having any problems or having fewer problems. I guess I should say I have not played that version. Yeah, Waderlands Force seems like it's hitting its marks at the very least right. It's maybe doing things by the numbers, but it's the right numbers.
Speaker 2: I did see somebody, I can't remember who it was, but I saw somebody say that all of these games are getting delayed because of silks Song. There were no games getting delayed because of Borderlands four, And I don't know. I feel like Gearboxes, it's very confident that Borderlands four can compete with Silk Song. I don't think they think their audiences overlap at all between the two of them. But yeah, I mean the people, the Borderlands fans were gonna show out no matter what I think. And I think they also know that performance issues, I mean, performance issues suck and are not something that we should let go at all, but they can be they can be fixed and if you really like the content of the game. And I do agree Borderlands three, I don't think it landed. The joke didn't. The joke wasn't funny, So I think if they but but you know, the people who love that, who love gearboxes out, but they're going to show out no matter what.
Speaker 1: Yep. And it's like, you know, there is a wider audience. There's like, yeah, there's the Borderlands audience that has shown up, and then there's a wider audience of people who's like, yeah, my friend's playing that and I want to play that with and I had a good time doing that, and it sounds like this game is a good fit for those people. In terms of what I played of it, it was very much like delivering on the design ethos of let's give people some fun shooting to do some fun light easy objectives, some quick ways to get there and make that feel fun as well, and then get out of their way so they can talk to their friends while they're playing. And it's like, yeah, that's Borderlands four exactly.
Speaker 2: Oh, don't come on, Jeff, don't don't you think that everybody is coming in because they watched that fabulous Borderlands movie.
Speaker 1: Well, of course, all the.
Speaker 2: New fans coming in because they saw that movie and just wanted to see the game where it came from the.
Speaker 1: Kate Blanchett effect. Of course, yes, I uh yeah, listen, I watched that movie in theaters. It was physically painful. I recommend it. People should do the same.
Speaker 2: It is.
Speaker 1: Uh yeah. I think that Borderlands four is going to be one of those games that like we look back to, like, oh yeah, that was really huge. A lot of people played that game, and in the meantime, hopefully they can update it on PC because it was it was running terribly. It was running like dog do do?
Speaker 2: Uh?
Speaker 1: Now they are paying attention to some feedback over there at Gearbox. Borderlands four might be getting FOV sliders on console after a flood of complaints from gamers. This is from Ethan Gotch at Kotaku. Why doesn't Borderlands four have an FOV slider on console? Well, this was like originally, like people were like definitely complaining about this, being like, hey, I am getting a little motion stick. Actually I'd like to be able to control my FOV. A lot of games do have this on console these days, not always Traditionally that's been a PC setting for sure, because you're sitting so close to the screen, people want to adjust that. Well, they did say that they're like, hey, we're promising to like look into this. Vault Hunters. It announced on Twitter we have heard your feedback on FOV sliders on console. The team is currently exploring how to bring these sliders to both Xbox Series X and S and PlayStation five versions. We will continue to read your feedback and prioritize game updates with your experience in mind. Banks all. So that's that's a good thing that they're like a little bit of positive feedback immediately and they're or like negative feedback and they're going to respond to that. Like why haven't they said anything about the PC performance though? Is my thing? It's like FOV slider great PC performance is definitely a bigger deal.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it is.
Speaker 1: I feel like, do you get the sense of like that like the PC performance and like just unreal engine like causing problems is something that these developers don't have a good grasp on, so they're not sure what to say.
Speaker 2: I think that's part of it. I mean, I think adding an FOV slider to I mean developers correct me if I'm wrong. That's a smaller fix, I would say overall than having to do whatever, having to like patch up the leaking ship. That is the PC version. Like I know, I said, like a few minutes ago, like, oh, PC things can be fixed. It's going to be a while before they're fixed. And I don't blame anybody for saying for jumping off the ship at this point, but yeah I did. By the way, I do always adjust my field of view sliders because I will get major ly c sick if I don't have the correct field of view, Like if it's too close, if it's too far, I'm out. I get a migraine.
Speaker 1: Now, of course, you know the like, why aren't they say thing about PC performance? Well, that's you know that the team hasn't say anything. Brandy Pitchford has over here. This is a quote from PC games in Gearboxy or Randy Pitcherd has responded on Twitter by offering potential fixes for the first person shooter games launch weekend to try and help players out. Consistently across multiple posts, he states that some older rigs simply won't be able to run the game. Here's the quote. Buckle up. Borderlands four is a premium game game made for premium gamers. Just as Borderlands four cannot run on a PlayStation four it cannot be expected to run on two old PC hardware. He had some more to say there, though, but that's where he starts.
Speaker 2: You know, I don't live too far away from Randy.
Speaker 1: You just go smack them upside the head for us, just like, shut up, Randy, what are you doing right?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I will drive up to Gearbox HQ. I will knock on the door, and I will go in there and I will slap him across the face with a glove for being quite so wretched to gamers. What he's being condescending more than a little bit here, Randy Pitchford.
Speaker 1: Yes, he's being randy about it. If you're trying to drive a monster truck with a leaf blower's motor, you're going to be disappointed.
Speaker 2: I think people see that one, yep.
Speaker 1: I think people are just going to be like, look, my GPU was a higher end or like a middle of the road, but higher end middle of the road, seven hundred dollars like three or four years ago. What are you talking about? It should still run just fine on there now. All of this is crazy, though, Like his position here is crazy. I have a fifty eighty one of the top of the line GPUs and the game was running terribly. We had to go to Ultra performance on DLSS to get near sixty frames per second, or at least Actually I went into performance and that was still like forty five to fifty frames per second. I'm assuming ultra performance gets above sixty, but that's you are sacrificing a lot of image quality with ultra performance in DLSS. And it's this is the thing that people hate, Rachel. Is this idea that developers instead of treating DLSS as a cherry on top to get extra frames for your one hundred and sixty five Hurtz refresh monitor, instead of treating it like something like that. Instead it is a way just to get the sixty frames per second in the first place. And it's like, oh, gamers do not like this, as like the DLSS is our optimization instead of optimization plus DLSS.
Speaker 2: What's the gearbucks for? Correct me if I'm wrong. It's seventy dollars.
Speaker 1: Right the game? Yeah, No, I think it's seventy. I think that's seventy.
Speaker 2: Every seventy dollars for something that seventy dollars is a lot to ask for something that's only going to run on well, that well, assuming Randy Pitchford's thesis is correct, which I don't, but if we assume it is something that will only run on premium rigs, and so, like, how much disposable income does Randy Pitchford think we have in this economy? Like first like that, and then first of all, let's that's like the money issue side of things. But on the other hand, that's not how optimization works at all. It's like it doesn't matter how you know, yes, you could have a really powerful rig, but that doesn't necessarily mean the game is going to run well even on a really powerful rig.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And like, I think the optimization is clearly the culprit here because this check continues to point out it's on Xbox Series S, which has a less powerful GPU, and there are a lot of PCs out there with equivalent GPUs to the Xbox Series S that are really struggling with this game. It is a PC performance optimization issue, and Gearbox should just do something about it. I get that, it's like you could prioritize the console that is probably still the bulk of the sales for a game like this, but come on.
Speaker 2: I don't think we should take Randy Pitchford's like words as like that's how everybody gearbox feels about PC gaming, Like.
Speaker 1: Oh oh sure, yes, yeah, for sure.
Speaker 2: Oh dear, you don't have you don't have a powerful rig, how dare you. I don't think that's how everybody a gearbox feels about it. I think Randy's just being Randy.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, yeah, for sure. Hopefully though, uh he could stop speaking for them. I think that'd be great too. Yeah. Uh, all right, let's keep moving here. Actually, know what, let's take a break. We're gonna take a break. We're gonna We're gonna go to our ad. We'll come right back with plenty more headlines after this. If you want to skip out on this, you go to giant bomb dot com slash join, become a premium member, get the atre version of the show. We'll be right back coming.
Speaker 2: To you live from Giant Bomb. It's the Character Issues Podcast.
Speaker 3: The Character Issues Podcast is a podcast where we are making the definitive scientific list of the greatest video game characters of all time. Every episode, I am joined by host Leah Haydos me Hi Hello, Hi, Hello, Hello, and Rich Davison Hello from across the Pond. As we discuss rank and basically give you the definitive guide of who are the greatest video game characters of all time. We currently have over seventy episodes out and I know what you're thinking. I don't want to go back and listen to all of those episodes. So here's a few facts to catch you up on any in joke lore so you can jump in right now.
Speaker 1: We have an unhealthy relationship with the character Voldo from Seulcualaba Rich.
Speaker 2: Really hates the Scandinavian.
Speaker 3: The most important spot is the number sixty nine spot.
Speaker 2: Every twenty three episodes we have a rerank of Palooza.
Speaker 3: The second number one important spot is again not the top spot, it's the bottom spot, which is perennially going to be Chad Lee.
Speaker 1: From Found fusand and seven Remake and Reverse.
Speaker 2: I'm so funny, Like, seriously, guys, you don't even know.
Speaker 3: So if after hearing all of those wonderful facts about our podcast, you're still interested, you can go to any of your podcast services and search for the Character Issues podcasts.
Speaker 1: And it will be there.
Speaker 3: You can also follow us on Blue Sky at the Character Issues podcast or send us an email at Character Issues podcasts at gmail dot com. Thank you everybody for listening, and thank you Giant Bomb for allowing us to advertise on your wonderful podcast about video games. We look forward to talking to all.
Speaker 1: Of you soon. All Right, we're back. Uh, let's get into Game mess Mornings over here with me Jeff Grubb and Rachel Kaser and an another new headline. Leaked Battlefield six skin has some players wanting to send EA a message. This is from Blair mart Now at GameSpot. Battlefield six has largely largely been well received during its beta test, but some players have been very adamant that the game should avoid the fortnightification that the Cole of Duty franchise has embraced. Battlefield Studios head Vince Sampella has previously said that Battlefield six will stay true to Battlefield. However, a leaked Battlefield skin a six skin has some players eager to send EA a message that they won't welcome similar outfits in the game. The lime green on black look isn't nearly as cartoonish as the Beavis and butt Head or American Dad skins. It is like a military operator, but one that is like gussied up for sure?
Speaker 2: Is I guess the most looking at it here. Yeah, it's yeah, yeah, it is basically just like tactical gear that looks like it's just been like spray painted.
Speaker 1: A little right, right, someone did a little customization work or whatever. Well, uh, fans aren't happy with that even And this is I'm not too surprised about this. There was a question on the Battlefield subreddit around the time of one of the Alphas or the betas, and they were like, hey, like what level of weird skin would you be okay with? And it like went up to like thirteen or fourteen on this like chart on the spectrum, and that was like cartoon characters on at number fourteen, and number like five was a playing closed CIA officer or something like that, and then like one, two and three were all like mostly military people. But maybe they started to get a little bit like, oh, here's an extra chochkey on something, and everyone was like, one, I don't want anything beyond the standard military looking dude you can possibly imagine, And there was a huge way of support from that from that community. Now that doesn't that doesn't seem feasible, that doesn't seem likely that that's the way they're going to go. So EA and Dice are gonna have to walk this line of trying to put these things out there and keep this fan base happy, but also seems like these are the people that would never buy a skin, so like like you can't really worry about them too much. You sort of have to be like, no, we got this whole other side of the audience that does care about this. I think what people are settling on from the Battlefield community is can we have a toggle to turn off seeing other people's skins? And do you think that's something EA and Dice would consider or or is that like, oh, that defeats the purpose of people spending twenty dollars on one of these things.
Speaker 2: I think that kind of defeats the purpose to because you you, this is a first person game. If you buy a skin, you're buying it so that other people can see you. Yes, I mean, I don't know. I would caution anyone against getting too upset over the skin. I mean, it could very well be just like a leftover thing that somebody found it. It may not actually ever turn up in the game. But on the other hand, I also understand if Battlefield being more grounded, being a bit more a bit less call of duty. That's kind of its whole thing. And I don't I think if EA tries to go that route, they might try for like what's the what's the metaphor of the frog and the boiling water?
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, they'll.
Speaker 2: Start with the like really grounded, cool military.
Speaker 1: Skins and yeah, good point.
Speaker 2: Maybe like a year down the line, they'll be like, by the way, here's a uh you know, here's the like slightly fleshier skin.
Speaker 1: Here's a here's a free one that is a little bit more outlandish for Christmas. And it's like, okay, like this like this' it's things, but it's free. Maybe some people start using it. You're right, I think that it's exactly the frog in the water slow being boiled, where they can turn this up like one little step at a time, and if there's too much pushback, they sort of just take a break. They they're like they have some other like very standard military fatigues waiting in the wings, like here here's some more of that, and then when it dies down, you try again. I don't think they're gonna ever get to SpongeBob and Beavis and butt heead No, I love.
Speaker 2: That so, but on the other hand, I think fans should be careful about saying, oh, don't become Fortnite. I don't know about that. I don't know if you want to tell the company that, because Fortnite's really profitable and they and that's where the new audience is Fortnite roeblocks, and those are the people that they really want playing Battlefield, So be careful about telling them to not do the thing that's going to make them money.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's like.
Speaker 2: That's gonna work out as well as you think it's going to.
Speaker 1: I agree, And I think that they have made it clear that they have huge, huge goals for this Battlefield game. They've talked about one hundred million players or whatever. And if you're talking about an audience that big, you are talking about an audience big enough to sell skins too, and they will be accommodating of all kinds of different skins. So they've already talked about moving and growing beyond the core Battlefield audience that would be that would typically show up for this game. So but at the same time, you know, you want that positive word of mouth, and so I think they do it very slowly. So it's a very slow frog boil and in the meantime, they'll try to see what they can get away with with the stuff like this that is mostly inoffensive but slightly outlandish, and then they'll see what the feedbacks like. So this sort of community effort to be like, hey, let EA know that you don't want anything worse than this. That is one option right now to say you're like, you know, voice your opinion, criticize the company. You're allowed to. They're allowed to try. They're allowed to try to sell you stuff, and you're allowed to be like, hey, this sucks and we'll see what EA ends up doing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, it's totally valid, but I'm just saying, like, don't use words like oh, don't become Fortnite yes when it That is tricky because the company will be like, well, why can't we have Fortnite money?
Speaker 1: Huh. They definitely want Fortnite money. They something investors understand, all right. Nintendo's latest Amibo figures push the boundaries of size and price. This is from Andy Robinson at VGC. Nintendo's next wave of Ambo toys will be the company's largest and most expensive figures to date. Announced on Friday, Metroid Prime four Beyond Kirby air Riders, the Super Mario Galaxy are each getting their own unique amoebo releases. Most notable are the Kirby figures, which, at fifty dollars each, are the most expensive amoebo to date. Typically, Ambo figures cost between twenty to thirty dollars in the US, and at launch a decade ago, they were closer to fifteen. However, the Kirby amibo are unique in that they include both a rider figure and a machine to which they can be attached, which with the drivers being interchangeable, This functionality will also carry over the game when different combinations are scanned. Players can scan their amibo to create an in game rider and air Ride machine CABO and train it as a figure player, which will gain figure player levels with use. Okay, yeah, cool, they are all that feels like working backward from How can we raise the prices of these things here? Let's add a couple of funk like functions to this thing. Let's make it big so we can justify the fifty dollars price tag, because hey, tariffs are making these things expensive to ship to the United States. There I get the sense, Rachel that like a lot of these prices are closer in line with like what what people in like places like Canada and Australia see. And as usual, there has been a lot of backlash here because the United States is especially whiny when it comes to price increases. I've said this before. It's why these companies kind of give us a little bit more of kids glove treatment with our price increases and everywhere else it has to bear the burden of like, well, even if you do complain, we're not going to hear you. Canada, get out of here, and so but it's it's coming for us now, and it it's like, oh, people, there there is this backlash. People are mad at Nintendo about its current price. And we have another story here in a second we'll get to. But I don't know, what do you think when you see a fifty dollar Amibo games used to be fifty dollars?
Speaker 2: I know, and my first thought is like I can't. I really feel like ambo has sort of outgrown like the purpose they originally had, Like it was originally something that you used a Mibo you get like a cute little like I have some of mine back here, and you'd get something cute in the game and now it's a I am almost surprised that ambo have stuck around as long as they have, so somebody is buying them. Nintendo wouldn't make a big play like this if somebody weren't buying them, And I wonder if it isn't. Maybe the intended audience is not the US buyers. Maybe that's why they're so confident in offering this price, like, well, we know people, you know, the the sales in the US are going to go down. Maybe because the Japanese audience is going to buy them instead.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, definitely. And it's you know, Kirby's a character that they know has a lot of juice with merchandise, so that I think they are. They're also confident they can get away with a lot.
Speaker 2: Here, my voice got really loud for a second.
Speaker 1: They're sorry, Oh that's all good. You know, let's stick with this this theme here and get to this next story. Nintendo's Switch Mario Galaxy Collection collection will retail for seventy dollars. This is from Andy Robinson at VGC. Nintendo's just announced Super Mario Galaxy Switch collection will retail for seventy dollars. It has been confirmed that means the two games collection will cost ten dollars more than Nintendo's last anniversary collection, Super Mario three D all Stars, which included three titles and was only on sale for a year for those who already owned three D all Stars, which includes the first Mario Galaxy game. Nintendo's confirmed that it will sell Galaxy and Galaxy To individually for forty dollars each. Now, at the same time, it does seem like they're doing a bit more I hesitate to say quite a bit more, but definitely a noticeable amount more for this version of the port, where they're increasing resolution and adding some other quality of life quality of life things, and it just overall looks like a better package. Now, I don't I don't know if it's a forty dollars better package where it's like, oh my god, this is this game is very old and you are making some improvements. But forty dollars for it and seventy dollars for both, that price is high. They are also over at Nintendo seeing a backlash to this as well. And yeah, I mean these prices are astronomical. They are much higher than I would have guessed for these games.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you can usually count on Nintendo. Nintendo never lowers their prices, but oftentimes they're not necessarily as as high as other places.
Speaker 1: To begin, they they hadn't been right until this generation with the Switch to where it's like it seems like at every opportunity they are going to the maximum. They are like, let's push the envelope of what we can get away with in terms of price. You know, they're the first one with an eighty dollars game, really Mario Kart World, and the Switch to was you know, it's five hundred dollars with that game included, and that was a little bit more. I think some people were at least hoping for. I think the thing here is this game these this game will sell at this price. People will show up to buy this game at this price. So what is Nintendo to do other than release it at that price because that's what you're supposed to do. And until Nintendo begins to see a detrimental effect on its top line sales, I don't think it. I don't think it changes this course. For as much as people might be complaining right now, yeah.
Speaker 2: I mean got to keep in mind that even Nintendo is not immune to the market effect. I mean, you know, sometimes you know, like to say, like, oh, Nintendo will put out any Trek and people will buy it in droves. I'm like, I remember the WEU So that was something that people didn't turn out to buy in droves because it was a console that really didn't have a purpose in the generation at which it was released. So, by the way, side note, I love how I'm getting so many Kirby and Metro to mebo's. They can't make a band at a three ambo. I need to complete my collection.
Speaker 1: They don't have the technology to do that yet.
Speaker 2: It's it's too honestly, bringing adding a third one to this would just cause a singularity and then we would all die.
Speaker 1: Uh huh, I yeah, I do get this. Like there, I did see some switch twos on the shelf the other day or yesterday that I was at Meyer and switch toes were there, and that is the most anecdotal evidence. But I you know, there's some like stirring of hey, is the switch are the switch to sales slowing down a little bit there on the tail end? Now, that wasn't in any of the numbers. When we talked to Matt Piscatel on the show two weeks ago, was it, Yeah, about two weeks ago he's he pointed out that the Switch twos sales are ahead of the PS four, which so it's the fastest ever so far, and it's way ahead of the Switch one seventy five excuse me, seventy five percent ahead of where the which one was at. So according to the numbers, at least so far that those early adopters really showed up. But there is this second test that we keep talking about with Matt, where the holiday is going to come here and that will be slightly more casual audience members that will be families, And will they balk at these prices? I gotta say, Rachel, my guess is, for the most part, no, I don't think they're going to balk at it. I think they are. I think they're going to show me like, yeah, man, shit, this is just what things cost. Now.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think that's kind of I think that's going to be how it is. But I do I do think that Nintendo, if this is really something that people can't afford and are not going to, you know, work into their increasingly strict budgets, then Nintendo will feel the effects of that. I know. I mean, we might joke about it, but Nintendo isn't invulnerable. If it turns out that seventy dollars is more than people are willing to pay for a Super Mario Galaxy collection, then you know they will see that will be reflected in their sales. And if it isn't, then you know, what are we really complaining about here? Like I don't like to say like, oh, the market is always right, it isn't. But at the same time, if if you know, like five million people show up, but launch day five million, Yeah, if five million people show up at launch day for to play Super Mario Galaxy two on the switch to, then I mean that's then that's just what people are willing to pay.
Speaker 1: Yep. And yet I do think we do see that there's a little bit of a you know, problem in the armor with Nintendo in terms of, uh, the game key cards, cause I do think that those have mostly failed. I think that and you know, at more anecdotal evidence. I was at Meyer yesterday. I saw those two switch tos on the shelf. I looked up at the game selection. Now a game selection for the switch at Meyer, which is like a local Midwest kind of like a Walmart. They're the election of games for the switch to there was pretty robust. There was a lot of games and some Switch one games as well, and that's that's compared to the Xbox and the PlayStation five, which each had like three to five games, and it was like Call of Duty, n CAA Football, and Doom and like one or two other things that are like for that very very broad audience. Nintendo I had it like way more. But I only saw one game key card on the shelf at Meyer and it was for Street Fighter six, and I think I think that was a game key card. The rest were switched two games that were first party Nintendo games that weren't game key cards, and then a lot of Switch one games that had a lot of third party stuff, but obviously none of those were game key cards. So I think like there is the places areas where Nintendo is not getting away with everything that's trying to get away with and they are going to have to adjust. It just doesn't feel like for the most part overall, pricing has been that hurdle. We'll see if that changes this holiday.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And I will say like for me, the big moment of like, oh really, Nintendo was the Virtual Boy shaped switchtock for one hundred dollars, which is only going to be able to play fourteen games total. Like, to me, that's that's the big thing of Nintendo being like, really, this is that, that's what you choose to do with the money, Nintendo. This is what at one hundred dollars for the pleasure of playing games that I believe people said gave them headaches when they were originally launched. It's I didn't play an original Virtual Boy, but no one day. Yeah, yeah, that that was the moment where I was like, I mean, honestly, it wasn't the Amibo. It was the Virtual Boy where I was like, really, Nintendo.
Speaker 1: Yep uh. The Virtual Boy is is just so instant that one feels like them almost trolling everybody. It does like we are Nintendo.
Speaker 2: But the fact they brought Koizumi sad out to market that the man who could sell the man who could sell sand in the desert.
Speaker 1: Yeah huh, it's uh. I was just like, okay, I hear, I'll pay whatever, And of course they're like, yeah you will. You're gonna pay whatever for this. That's one hundred dollars. Please that things still not on sale in the United States, right, everybody tell me when it isn't, so I need to I need to prove that I am the true sucker and the biggest mark here. Square Enix confirms entire Final Fantasy seven trilogy will come to Switch to. This is, you know, not too surprising, but this just wanted to like get this out there that They did confirm that in addition to Final Fantasy seven remake, Integrate coming to switch to on January twenty second, I guess it's also coming to Xbox that day. Excuse me. They've said that, Hey, the Remax trilogy going forward will also always be on switch to an Xbox Series, x N S and Xbox on PC as well as the other platforms where already was So that means probably Rebirth not too long from now, and then the third game again we talked about that. I talked about this last time, Your Reunion whatever it's going to be called, that will probably launch on all of these platforms at the same time, would be my guess. Yeah, it does feel like we are fully in the Square Enix. Hey, our game has just come out everywhere. We're done with the PlayStation exclusivity thing, and that's probably a good thing for them, right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, probably with as much retrenching as they've had to do in the last like three years or so. Then yeah, I think costing themselves to the PlayStation. I think they've finally seen that that, or at least most recently, they have not seen a huge return on that. So yeah, I mean a device that's in that many people's hands. Yeah, they want to get Final Fantasy on that because they need Final Fantasy, Devin Remake, Reunion, rebirth, recreation, whatever number three is going to be called. They need that in as many hands as possible.
Speaker 1: And then just a quick update before we get out of the headlines. Pilatro's biggest update yet is taking longer than expected. Basically, developer Local Thunk said that he's working slowly, but he also kind of wants to take his time because otherwise he would have to crunch to get out this year. So he's made the decision just delay till next year. And this is one of those ones where it's like, hey, the fans like, yeah, please take it easy. We don't care. We want you to just take care of yourself. Thank you so much for this amazing game. And this is Blantro Rachel feels like a game that is going to be with us forever. It is, Oh, I hope so Sudoku and crosswords now it's just going to be there forever for everybody. So yeah, pace yourself local thunk. I think that's probably the right move here, right, Oh.
Speaker 2: Absolutely. And I see this all the time with fans. Whenever somebody announces a delay. I almost think sometimes we're too nice, which isn't something I usually say about gamers, but like, huh, whenever somebody announces that, the first like twenty or so replies are from other gamers being like, take your time, get it out to you, get get it out to us when you can, King, Queen, monarch, whoever, and just please just take your time. We'd rather it be late than be bad or you know that well. And also usually this is something like I'd rather you take your time than crunch, which that's a good sentiment, but sometimes I'm like, you know, you don't have to say that to the big corporations. Very likely they're delaying it so that the game releases in a more favorable financial quarter, not necessarily because they care that the game needs to be perfect for you, but in Balatro's case, I absolutely believe that's what local Thunk wants is for the new update to be perfect and everything the fans want, and also he wants to he they want to have a life and have a good work life balance and good mental health. So I think he is a good person to use that sentiment on.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah for sure kind of in there and like Local Thunk apparently like really develop the game by just making a bunch of if then statements. That has got to be so crazy to like get in there and make changes to all of that. Yeah, I'm like, yeah, take your time, don't kill yourself trying to figure that game out. All right. That does over the headlines, we do not have a pull question. We have the Bomb twelve from last Friday that we did. People should be able to find the link to the form for the new Bomb twelve this week on giant bomb dot com. I posted the blog post about the last Bomb twelve in there at the bottom is that link to the new form. Go ahead and fill it out if you know what your game is for this week already. If you want to wait till Thursday, I'll close it sometimes sometime on Thursday evening, so until then you have a chance to go in there and make your voice heard. We have a new pole question. We'll get to that in a second. Before we do, though, Rachel Kaser, why don't you tell people where they can find you on the internet, what you have going on and all of that good stuff.
Speaker 2: Well, I'm on PTO, so I would normally I would say, well, I'm going to say this anyway. You can find my written work at gamesbet dot com, and you know you should go check us out. We are also like Giant Bomb and independent games media publication, and we have a subscription service if anyone is interested in that. But to read the stories, you won't. It's free. Ninety nine percent of the stories on games beat it are free. I know there's been some confusion about that, but you don't have to pay to read the vast majority. If you don't need to sign up to read your own articles, audience, do just enter your email. You don't need to pay.
Speaker 1: I did figure this out, and now I'm reading my articles, thank you very much.
Speaker 2: But yeah, so uh so, I won't necessarily have anything new there this week, but I will. I am regularly updating my TikTok where I talk about uh game game releases and uh, well that's the on the games Beat TikTok. I have so many tiktoks it's confusing. I talk about gaming news daily and on my third channel, I also talk about the Golden Girls and dungeons and dragons and weird stuff like that. I even posted a clip from the show on on my third TikTok account where basically you are sitting there watching me talk about golden girls with this look on your face, like, Jen, why did you bring this up?
Speaker 1: She's gonna keep talking for the rest of the show. I wouldn't have it any other way. Uh, what is the what's the what's the name of that TikTok? Where can people find it?
Speaker 2: Oh? Yeah, sorry? There the TikTok is. Well, we have the games Beat TikTok, which is just at games Beat, and we have my TikTok which is at Grace of Athena, and then we have my other TikTok which is at Rachel g Kser. So basically, if you just search the name Rachel Kaser on TikTok, you'll find my TikTok account and my secondary one probably and if you search games Beat you'll find games Beat on TikTok. And I'm also updating all of my other social media accounts regularly, and I'm getting back into my tumbler, so i should be having out some new Perry Mason posts soon.
Speaker 1: I have a I have a similar TikTok to your Golden Girls one. It's all about mash Star Alan Alda. It's called all the News That's fit the print.
Speaker 2: That's a I'm gonna have to I'm gonna have to follow this.
Speaker 1: Because that's joke. Yeah, that's a that's a stolen joke. There you go, everybody, all right. Uh, we have a new poll question, what game do you want most from Insomniac after Wolverine, Venom, New Spider Man, X Men, or a new Ratchet and Clink. Those are your options. You can vote, we'll get the results. We'll talk about it on Games Mornings here on Wednesday. On Giant Bomb. Speaking of Giant Bomb, we're gonna do some some like getting in the goods the website today and our streaming set up. We're gonna do a test. Let's see here what time we're doing that jam. We're doing that at two pm. We're doing some chunk testing. So hang out with us. I know hate you're like, oh, what happened to Riven? Well we beat Riven? Why aren't you watching? What's your problem? Yeah? Yeah, we'll beat Proud. Thank you. It was a lot of fun. It's good to just like kind of shout ideas at Mike and then force him to do it. Riven was a lot of fun. We're gonna get back to missed, but I think the plan is after this week, take some time for Spooky season to play some spooky games in that slot. I think a seventh guest will be what we do next, and then, yeah, I know I'm looking forward to I'm want to try the VR one apparently that's pretty decent tonight eight pm Mega Man Monday evening gaming at Mike's at night. That'll yeah, eight pm Eastern show up for that. I don't know what he's playing, but we'll figure it out and then BombCast tomorrow. Tune in for that. We'll see y'all for that show with the regular crew and the me time. I think that's gonna do it for us. Rachel, thank you so much for hanging out with me today and talking about video games. I really appreciate it.
Speaker 2: Thank you. For inviting me. I always love coming on everybody. A giant bomb is always so nice pleasant.
Speaker 1: Well they're nice to me, Yeah, that's that's that's right. Uh no, thank you Rachel, Thank you everybody for listening and watching. You are the best audience in gaming. Until next time, have a good one, take care of yourself and goodbye.