Speaker 1: This is part one of a two part series with Thomas Allen. In this one, we're talking about forward facing sonar and cellular cameras in the field. Hey, I'm kJ dedicated lifelong hunter here. If you've got an interest in all things hunting, you're in the right spot. Whether chasing quill across the plains of Oklahoma or in pursuit of belk in the back country of British Columbia, you'll always find me on the hunt. All right, everybody, welcome in to another gun talk hunt brought to you by Ruger, Timny Triggers, Range Ready Studios, Silencer, Central Vortex, Savage Frankie and rcbs Man. Rcbs Man. I've been doing it wrapped una loading these these days, shooting matches and stuff. But on the other line and staring at your beautiful faces is mister Thomas Allen. Uh Man, dude, how you been a long time?
Speaker 2: No here? Yeah, it's been a while. I think we talked the spring, sometime around Turkey season.
Speaker 1: But the only time I hear from Thomas Allen is when he he or his son, or his daughter or his wife are killing stuff in the woods.
Speaker 2: Well, we should do a little better. I mean, it doesn't have to be that long in between things. But yeah, yeah, we've been fishing a lot. I think we're probably about wrapped up with that. I might have a few more in Fishermen segments to film this fall yet, but for the most part, I think we're down to just chasing fall time muskies, which is really more of a hunt if you want to get down to it.
Speaker 1: No, it's not a hunt. When I went, they said fish of a one in ten thousand cast.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's about right.
Speaker 1: I kid you not. I went out one day and I caught five of them.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it doesn't always work like that, Kevin, You must have had a pretty good guide. Guide, I was hand fishing. Okay, it sounds like it's more to this story that make me doubt your tenacity. Must know I had a tremendous guide. I had a tremendous guy. Oh well, you should come up here. I mean you probably need a break from that South Louisiana heat. I mean, the fish is just starting to get good. We've got water temps in the mid to low fifties and the trees are in full colors. It's my favorite time of year. It is wonderful, but it goes too quick.
Speaker 1: Don't get me started, man, because like, what's going to happen for you? Since you're bragging it up. Now, you're going to get a massive cold front really quickly, and then you're just everything's gonna be shut off and then you're going to be fishing in ice houses. That's what's going to happen.
Speaker 2: Well, that's coming, that's inevitable. But truth be told, we had that cold front. We're coming out of it now. It's actually going to be in the seventies on Friday, which kind of sucks. When you get that water temperature to drop and to a certain level, the lakes turnover and then the fish recover from that and they go on a binge. And so we're right on that edge where turnover is ending. Most of the lakes have turned or are just about done turning, and now it's gonna get really good. So sometimes it's hard to pick between deer hunting and musky but.
Speaker 1: Uh, I just don't. I mean, I know you're a big time musky fisherman, but man, I just cannot. I don't think I could put down the bow or gun and go pick up a rod and go run figure eights.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well you need to come do this. Like I know we've talked about this and we probably should put this on our list because here's the thing. You can just get here and it's super inexpensive. I know we've talked about like these hunts we want to do all the time, and we're like once every two or three years we want to up that a little bit. You come up here for a week of musky fishing. I'll come down there, we'll go to Venice. I don't see what the problem is.
Speaker 1: There is no problem with that. I'm good with that. I'll do that. Yeah, we can do for sure do that. You know, just know that.
Speaker 2: People understand something when when we're talking musky fishing. It's pretty good throughout the season, and generally in the North, it starts in June, right first weekend in June, and you get to fall and it's magical. It's cold. Yeah, a lot of times we're using big suckers, like anything from a fourteen to twenty and sucker, so a two or three pound fish and they'll they'll chase baits. It's a magical time of the year if you can handle the cold. And I know that your skinny ass could probably deal with it. If you put on a couple extra layers.
Speaker 1: I would have to put it. I don't. I wouldn't have to put on as many layers anymore.
Speaker 2: Well, I just keep I keep a built in layer of insulation rolling.
Speaker 1: So that's what I'm I'm working towards that. That's what I'm doing. You'll get there no last time. So it's funny because the last time I did hear from you, you had said and I got to pull this message up because it was actually really funny. Oh buddy, Oh my gosh. So you were about to go on a rant. So you said, here's your podcast topic, he says, linking the debate between cell cams and forward facing sonar and how it's made. I can't read the next sord out of the boomers.
Speaker 2: Oh goodness, Yeah, I did say that.
Speaker 1: So you've said that, how do you want to approach this?
Speaker 2: All right, Well, let's give a quick background. I'll do my best to keep it short of the raging forward facing sonar debate in the fishing world. So as technology advances, we are going to continue to reach new levels that we previously thought were unattainable. I think that's pre that's an equalization, right, That's a fact. No one's going to argue that that's with everything cell phones and computers and whatever. So in phishing, forward facing sonar as of late has been a hot topic because it's more or less paved a quicker route or shorten the learning curve for younger anglers. And let me preface this by saying, this is the debate I can. I can give you some honest answers, and Kevin, if I'm anything, I'm very willing to share my opinion. In fact, I can't hide it sometimes. So the debate has been from the older generation that they're grumpy with the younger generation because they're beating them, and they're blaming the forward facing sonar on creating an easier path into the upper echelon of professional fishing. And as a result, that's kind of trickled down into the regional and even community level tournaments where here in Brainerd, Minnesota, we have got tournament leagues that are banning forward facing sonar because of what they're seeing at the top levels. And I say this a little tongue in cheeks. So if any of my fishing friends are listening, and you're like, he's talking about me, I'm not. I am talking in general about the sport and about what's going on and what's happening inside the sport. Kevin is there are a lot of older anglers that are either unwilling or unable to adapt with the technology, and that happens. I think you and I are going to reach a point where we're tired of updating our phones, where we're tired of trying to keep up on technology. We might just quit keeping up on technology. So I think it's a natural progression. But as a result, relevancy is starting to wane, and some of these anglers are nearing the end of their careers and they're blaming the technology. But the funny side of this, Kevin, is myself, you and your fishing industry. Days. Uh, we all work collectively to innovate and push new products on the market that absolutely were created to shorten that learning curve. And now that that's caught up with everybody, there's some grumpy people out there, and I just I'm sick of it. It's it.
Speaker 1: I see it, But I see the side that you're on and I'm in total agreement. Like there's a time when we are going to be phased out and we're going to be the old the old guys there going like all these youngsters. Yeah, and I saw this coming years ago.
Speaker 2: I saw it coming too, years.
Speaker 1: Ago, because what's happening is is, you know, kids are kids, My kids, your kids, like they are all growing up in a technology driven world, whereas you you have to adapt to it or you are going to die.
Speaker 2: Adapt or die. I say that all the time.
Speaker 1: Like, that's that's what it is. And you have to call a spade a spade because you sit here and you look at these young kids dominating some of these tournaments. They've grown up with this technology, They've adapted their lives, and their lives is looking at a screen, and you cannot hold it against them for utilizing the tools that are going to make them successful.
Speaker 2: That we pave the way for myself and the generation older than me. We all work collectively in the media in the professional fishing scene to create to catch fish easier. Yes, And the thing that one of the arguments that really bothers me is I hate watching people watch screens and it's all Ford facing Sonar's fault correction. There were complaints ten twelve years ago when Edwin Evers was watching his jig on his two D larent sonar and what was he doing there? You know? And it's the same thing Minnesota tried to ban flashers back in the day. Flashers, right, really, Yeah, And I think that we're going to see more of this. We're going to see more of this technology banned because the loudest group is the largest group who can't keep up with it. Yeah, and that's a strong word. And I say this like seriously with love. Okay, the technology is not ruining the sport whatsoever. In fact, until you've gone out and used it, maybe mastered it. Okay, I don't feel like you should have an opinion on it. If you don't like it, you don't have to put it on your boat. But if you're going to impress upon your social media followers, your friends, your family, whatever, that this technology is bad without having any real experience, and I don't mean just like being able to turn it on and look at it, I mean being able to make it work. If you can't do that, you got nothing to say.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, and well, what you are seeing in the shooting community too, is a lot of the same. I just got off shooting a match and what some of these guys are doing with I mean, and a kestrel is not a new tool. But for a guy like me that grew up with Kentucky Windage, a kestrel is like waving a magic wand over your gun and saying, okay, hit the target, bam and you'll hit the target. And so just like that. But they're utilizing the tools that they're just adapting to the tools that were provided. Do you not think that if ford facing sonar came out when Rick Klan was in his heyday, or or KVD or or I can.
Speaker 2: Dude, they hated KVD when he came around. He was the young punk kid that was beating everybody with a crank bait and they said, a crank bait is no way to catch a bass.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and so you start looking at it. Do you think if they had ford facing sonar back then, I mean, when Ray Scott was starting out, do you not think that they would have all been like, oh heck, yeah, this is the wave of the future.
Speaker 2: Two points I want to make. First of all, this summer I had a great time learning forward facing sonar. Tommy and I spent we took a day a week and went out with the spinning poles and the little jig mintos and just got to the technology. And it paid off for us a little bit, but most of the time we were using it to position ourselves on structure. It wasn't. The misconception is that you turn it on and fish jump in your boat. It's just not the case. It takes practice, it takes rigging that rigging correctly. It takes understanding what you're looking at. There's a lot of factors that go into Actually another word for that is work that you have to put in to make it, make it work and make it make sense. Well, I'll give you one example. And I know we're supposed to be talking shooting and hunting, but this is kind of fun.
Speaker 1: This is I'm going to go ahead and say this, like for all the guys that are like, get off the fish and tuck. This all plays a role in hunting too, because we're going to talk about the cell camera, the cell cams and the trail cams that that we'll bleed right into this, so don't worry. We're getting to that.
Speaker 2: I'm laying out the ground, the foundation, the groundation.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the groundation.
Speaker 2: It's a new word, so went I knew we were going to have a tournament this year. I fished up a little side noted this is the first year since I've had kids that I was able to go fish by myself and go do a tournament series just for me. When I brought it up to my wife, She's like, absolutely, go do it. It's all close to home. Five derbies a year, so it wasn't a huge commitment, but I wanted to take it serious. So I went out and practiced on a bunch of these lakes and spent a lot of time, and really that combined with the effort we'd put in to learn the technology, I put it to work. We went to a particular lake in northern Minnesota and Kevin I caught like two ounces shy at twenty one pounds a small mouth bass. One of the best days I've ever had on the water, and still got seventh place, if that tells you anything about how good the fishing was. But that entire tournament was a result, and I was able to remain competitive if you consider seventh competitive, by using ford facing sonar. At the end of that tournament, a bunch of those guys complain that they got beat by dudes using forward facing sonar adapt or die. Ye, get on board with it. So that point is you put in the work, they don't just jump in your boat. The other thing that's going to happen is we're you're the hunting industry is facing it now with cell cameras. Is you're going to start hearing the trickle down complaints that the loudest group is going to catch the ear of a state senator or a lake association or public land wildlife biologists or whatever, and they're going to start saying, you know what, I think I agree with that, even though I'm incapable of turning on my cell phone. My opinion is cell cameras are a bad thing, and they provide an unfair advantage. And there are a couple states already and it's not new that have banned the use of sell cameras. I don't know if it's indefinitely or only on state ground, but.
Speaker 1: I think it's like it's a state wide ban, I think, which which to me makes absolutely zero sense.
Speaker 2: I'd be an outlaw if I live there, because I'm not get there, but we will get there. Yeah, anyway, it just we've gotten to a point and and I guess there was one one last thing I wanted to say there And this kind of is a little bit of a rebuttal to the young young guys, young kids doing so well. This whole time we've been innovating and promoting and talking about and educating the use of all this electronics. There's also been high school bass fishing. There has been college bass fishing. Could you, Kevin, could you imagine the grades improvement that I might have had if there was high school fishing improvement?
Speaker 1: I would have been horrible. That had been way worse for me.
Speaker 2: Well, you had to have it great. You had to have a GPA to participate in.
Speaker 1: There. There is absolutely zero, zero, zero way I would have made the grades. All right, Thomas Allen has frozen. He looks magnetic. Huh, all right, you froze? Pick it up?
Speaker 2: How about no?
Speaker 1: Yeah, there're you good? You're good? Now, sorry, you're good.
Speaker 2: There's a there's a thing that happens where you kind of have to pay your dues and and I think that that's respectable from the older generations. But the solution, I think, to an extent, would be if the younger generation were to tip their hat more to the older generations for the groundwork that they set out that they're walking on. And I think that's really where the headache comes from.
Speaker 1: I don't, man, I kind of disagree with you. I don't think that's where the headache comes from. I think it's just these guys who are used to owning this space and they said they're pissing on this post saying well, this was my spot, Now why are you doing so good? And they're unwilling to accept change that's on them. That's not like, uh man, for those young kids out there, they're on these bass teams or man, I wish they had hunting teams. Now, that would be awesome.
Speaker 2: Well, that would be a can of worms we don't want to open.
Speaker 1: I think, Yeah, like coyote hunting teams. Let's do that.
Speaker 2: Scroll hunting teams. You ever done scroll dirty? Yeah?
Speaker 1: But anyways, like, go out and get it. If that's what you want to do with your life and you believe you can make a living of a becoming a bass angler or a professional fisherman, go for it. And if you take some old guy spot who's too agit aggravated or just yeah, to change and to utilize the technology that's out there. I'm sorry, it's just not your time.
Speaker 2: It's a it's an unforgiving sport. And uh, it's the trail to the Classic is littered with broken hearts, and we you and I both know a lot of the stories. Oh yeah, I personally, I do not dislike watching people catch big bass while looking at their screen. I enjoy that, and based on numbers that I've been privy to, so does the bulk of the viewership. So we can go down the road and talk in depth that for hours and I've tried, uh, and I think we could. But the bottom line is is technology. Technology is alienating to an extent. Where you're right, you have the I don't remember what term you use, but where you have the windage and everything built into your scope than kestrel, Yeah, yeah, and I have a I think it's a Buris eliminator eliminator three. Yeah, I really like it, Kevin. But here's the comparison I'll make that scope and Ford facing sonar have not in any way, shape or form diminished the experience for me.
Speaker 1: No, it's enhanced it if anything. So this weekend is a opener of youth. It's opener of youth weekend in Oklahoma. Now, my oldest son I went, you know what, I went the opposite way. I said, you know what, you need to embrace the technology. And I got him a Buris's Eliminator scope and or no, I got him no, the Veracity pH it's got the heads up display. And so now what you're talking about is a is a young kid who sees the technology side of hunting and now all of a sudden, like he's kind of hooked in there looking, he's going, holy crap, this is actually really cool. Late, so I turn this dial and I'll change the numbers in my scope. And all you gotta do is point yes, that's all you have to do. It's that easy.
Speaker 2: There's a point where now that said, I still think if you don't have a quality foundation underneath the technology, underneath your skill, if you don't understand how to make a bass eat, or you don't know how to find white tailed, none of it matters. So you do need to have a foundation. And you know you as a father, you're instilling those foundational values in your kids for hunting. I did the same with mine and fishing. The same Tommy and I learned how to fish together without ford facing sonar, began to factor it in and instead of looking at that is the only thing we have to use to succeed. It's now a tool in our satchel or another arrow in the quiver, if you will. And same with cell cameras, the same with the electronic scopes. It doesn't If you make a problem out of it, then don't use it. Like that's a beauty, beautiful thing about Americas. Don't use it. If you don't want it, then you can still be successful without it. It's just when you start getting other people's ideals based on their lack of willingness to adapt, and that's forced upon you. That's where I have a problem.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I agree, all right, not great. Right, Well, we're going to jump back into this conversation on more of the hunting side right after a word from these wonderful sponsors. Unmatched precision with the Ruger American Gentoo. In the heart of the Wilderness, Precision matters, Ruger introduces the American Gen two rifle design for hunters who demand excellence. The Ruger American Gentoo offers enhanced accuracy, smooth bolt action and durable design. It's the perfect companion for any hunting expedition, providing reliable performance every time you pull the trigger. Trust the Ruger American Gen two to deliver win it counts. Visit Ruger dot com to learn more and find you your next hunting rifle.
Speaker 2: What a hit.
Speaker 1: When it comes to hunting, your trigger is everything. Timney Triggers introduces the Remingtons seven hundred hit trigger, designed for those serious shooters. The Remington seven hundred hit trigger offers adjustable pull weight, ensuring you get the perfect customized feel you deserve. It's built for precision and reliability, so you can trust your every shot. Timney Triggers has many triggers for hunting for a bunch of different rifles out there. Discover the Remington seven hundred Hit and transform your hunting experience. Visit Timny Triggers dot com to explore all they got. It's time to prepare for the shot of a lifetime. Whether you're a season hunter or new the sport preparation is key. I preach it all the time at Range Ready Studios. We offer the training you need to make that shot of a lifetime. Chris Serino is on staff, and he has a host of instructors on hand to provide personalized trainings in state to the our facilities and practical exercises that build your confidence and skills from precision marksmanship to quick target acquisition. We've got you covered. Don't leave your success to chance. Visit range Ready Studios dot com to learn more. We're talking RAZORHD scopes. When you're in the field, clarity and precision are everything. That's what hunters look for and that's why they trust Vortex Optics and their RAZORHD line of scopes. The Razor HD scopes offer superior light transmission, stunning resolution, and unmatched durability. With these scopes, every shot is a confidence shot and you know what, they do have an impeccable lifetime guarantee, so you can trust that your investment is protected for life. Elevates your hunting experience with RAZORHD scopes. Visit Vortex Optics dot com to learn more. Vortex Optics because every detail counts in the backcountry, every ounce counts when the hunt takes you to the extremes. The Savage Ultra Light Elite is built to go the distance, featuring a carbon fiber wrapped barrel and an MDT HNT twenty six stock for perfect balance. The Ultra Light Elite is engineered for hunters who demand performance at the highest elevations, precision power, all in a rifle wing under six pounds. The Savage Ultra Light Elite designed for the backcountry, built for the hunt. When precision meets innovation, you get the Franky Momentum, a rifle built for those who demand more from their hunt. Designed for ultimate comfort with its ergonomic stock, precision barrel, and crisp trigger pool, the Frankie Momentum gives you the confidence to take that perfect shot. Hunt with momentum. The Frankie Momentum a new force in precision. Find yours at FRANKYUSA dot com. Czusa dot com is where you're going to find the CZ six hundred series rifle. They've got an American version, Alpha version, the Luxe, the range, and the trail. Now, let's look a little bit more into the trail because the trail is like that lightweight that just I mean, it's just screams backcountry rifle. But it is a new standard in CZ six hundred. It's got features like AR magazine compatibility in two two three, Remington and uses cz brin two magazines and seven point sixty two by thirty nine. In addition to a common magazine trend, the Trail delivers ambidexterous mag release and safety levers that will feel familiar to those who use the AR platform. And we all know that is one of the key guns out there that everybody uses and everybody knows. So why not match what you're using in the field to what you're already familiar with. Check out the cz six hundred series Trail at CZUSA dot com. All right, you know what I love about traveling on the road is being able to take all my firearms with me. And if you're gonna do that and you're gonna go state to state to start hunting, you need something to keep them secure. You know, I've got a topper on my truck, so you know I can leave that open, but there's just a pane of glass covering that.
Speaker 2: So what I like to do.
Speaker 1: Is a snap safe trunk safe two. You know, this is a large storage capacity for tools, firearms, equipment, documents, and much much more that you can lock away easy. You can tie it down, you can lock it in place and it won't leave your vehicle. So if you're looking for a way to keep your firearms safe on the road, check out snapsafe dot com. All right, we're back with Thomas Allen of in Fisherman. He writes for Game and Fish. He kind of does a little bit of everything, and we're getting into this whole technology and hunting and how we've adapted, how just old guys just aren't willing to adapt. And I hate to say it, because we have a lot of listeners out there that rely on archaic, you know, practices to do their hunting, and there's absolutely nothing wrong with that. To a certain extent, sometimes I am that guy, because let's we go back to the bursola and veracity pH that I put on my son's gun. So there's a level of me that wants to go, I don't trust it because it's electronic. But then there's the the I guess I would say, I'm middle aged, the middle of the road guy in me that says, but that's really cool, Like it's really cool that they're offering this, and to see it from a kid's perspective, it's really cool because he's like he's starting to see the marriage between technology, like what he likes to do in his off time and what he lives day to day. And so we go out and we actually we test it. And I think that's what you're talking about with the forward facing seminars, that like you got to go out and actually work it. Like you can't just say you're picking up a rod and you're going doing it, or you can't just put a cartridge in and just turn the don and automatically know it's there. There's a certain amount of learning curve that goes with this technology. And is that I mean, let's go the hunting side. Is that the best way to do it? Because coming from a guy who runs I don't know what are you up to now? Eighty plus trail cameras a year?
Speaker 2: Oh no, I don't want to publicly say in fear of self incriminating, but I've got fifty.
Speaker 1: Yes, you have ran a lot of different trail cameras over the years. You've ran cellular, you've run cards, you've run everything. You probably had one with film in.
Speaker 2: It, dude, I had this goes a long ways back. If you guys can find this and add it in and post it, be great. But the wildlife I was the I don't know who made it, but the juries promoted it. Back in the day where you could take remember that, you remember the cameras like the little handicam deals and they open like this and you could set it down and plug it in and it would go off. Now, I use that for two years until they discovered that they could run video as an option on these other cell camera for other contrail cameras. So yeah, I was doing it that way back in the day. And that dude that box was like.
Speaker 1: This, Oh it's huge. And now where we're at there, they're just so small. They're really cute. They're good to have around, but there's a learning curve with all this stuff, and like some guys are just unwilling to learn. And I get it, Like there's stuff like that I don't want to learn, but I.
Speaker 2: Know I have to, Like, well, I've got news for you, Kevin, I've got news for you. We are middle aged.
Speaker 1: I know, I hate to say it, man, we used to in the industry.
Speaker 2: I know, I know we were at one time. But I do think there comes a point and I feel like I've gotten there to a certain extent. With some technology, I'm like, oh God, I got to learn a new iOS or I got to learn a new you know something or other, and it just it does get stressful. But I've always committed, and I remind myself this on the regular that I need to to physically commit to staying up with things to stay relevant in the space. And I want to provide a perspective that comes from both schools. I want to be able to talk about how it used to be, how I had to triangulate, you know, the pontoon boat lift and the weeping willow over here with the point here. You know, I had to do that.
Speaker 1: And so then you go, oh, no, the water levels down two feet.
Speaker 2: Well, but I don't. I don't overlook the fact that those that came before me paved the way. And I think personally, if you can accept that that somebody helped you get there, it's going to make you more productive. But again, what I what I have a hard time with is when when entities or people are determining for me how I can participate. I could give a rip what the government says about that right that one down, But the problem is is that was implemented by people that were jealous of their neighbor killing big elk or big meal deer. Its spawned all of this. Kevin is spawning jealousy. And so my advice is, watch your own bobber.
Speaker 1: Watch your own bobber that needs to be on a shirt or something like a hat or a bumper sticker or something like that. Watch your own bobber. I like that, well, man, like I have a question. Do you ever miss the days when you used to go out and just fish or hunt with no technology? Like with no technology?
Speaker 2: No, I don't do I miss a simpler time as a culture. Yes. One of the things and one of the things that was worn to me before I took the step to becoming an outdoor communicator and a media guy and all this stuff was you know it might ruin your passion. Well, I can see how that would happen. And if you, if you and I were to be an open book and talk about the negatives to our jobs, it may sound like we're complaining, but it comes with baggage, it comes with complications, and it's a job at the end of the day to an extent. But I do love what I do. That comment about making your job your career or making your passion your career. It's it's enhanced my passion for the outdoors. It's enhanced my passion to share the outdoors and those experiences and stories with people. I guess it's easy to say I miss the days of blindly sitting in a tree stand hoping a deer will show up, and when one does, you don't know them. There was a certain element of fun to that. But I also I'm into the chess match. I really like knowing that deer on their feet. And literally, as we speak, I've been getting trail camera photos off the hook because today, for some reason in Minnesota, I got a lot of daytime movement, so I barometric pressure, maybe what it is. It's gonna be seventy five tomorrow. Maybe they're on their feet to enjoy the cooler weather. But all that to say, to be completely honest with you, I don't I wouldn't trade those days. I like what we have now. I like being able to watch deer on a cell camera and make a decision because no matter what technology you have in front of you, forward facing sonar, electronic scopes, cell cameras, range finders, on bows like, it doesn't matter in the in the heat of the moment, you still have to perform, and all those plans that you made leading up to that moment had to be laid correctly based on the most recent information. Naturally, as technologic technology evolves, you're gonna have some more poachers if you will. You know, we just got the news yesterday. I think this kid Ohio pled guilty to what fourteen counts on that deer he poached that was like Ohio's largest deer. It's sad story. Had he not had trail cameras or cell cameras that that may not have happened. So you can point and blame. But I want to say, hey, poor ethics. Dad didn't whip him enough growing up. You know, me and my kid no better to make that kind of decision.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it ain't worth it.
Speaker 2: Here's the ethical here's the ethical balance. The forward facing sonar argument often hinges on or leans on fish populations and how too much fishing pressure is going to decimate the fisheries. I don't believe that. I think that's on the angler. I think the DNR needs to evaluate catch rates, produce more career creole survey results to determine if croppies and bluegills and bass and whatever. If the limits need to be strengthened to maintain the health of the fishery. Okay, if you have a limit of one deer or one buck or whatever your limit is, who gives a rip. If you saw it on a cell camera. You're still entitled your limit. You still paid for your life like the next guy. The ethicacy, in my mind, comes down to making good choices within the laws that you're presented with. Okay, baiting, for example, if it's illegal in Iowa, don't bait in Iowa. If your legal debate in Saskatchewan hunt over bait and Saskatchwan, is it wrong? Not per reacher.
Speaker 1: So a looted your limit, and that's what it is. Your limit is your limit. But there are scofflaws out there that absolutely do not adhere to those and those are the ones that give everybody a bad name. Mm hmm, Like that's just I mean, and that's what you hear the loudest are well, this guy did it, and so how many other people did we not catch?
Speaker 2: So I really, I really think the industry is divided a lot very similar ways to the way we are culturally with politics. And I do know that that you know, most of the hunting and fishing industry strongly leans to the right. With some exceptions they're in and whatever. That's fine, but it's ultimately you're having procedures and policies being implemented by the have nots. If you will. They don't want to learn the technology, they don't like the technology, and like I said before, or a lot of it stemmed out of jealousy, and I guess I don't want somebody over top of me or someone that can force feed agendas down my throat telling me that I cannot use a piece of technology that is just simply a tool that it complements my approach. If you don't like it, Kevin, if you don't want to use four facing sonar, don't put it on your boat.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well you.
Speaker 2: Don't want to camera, don't hang them up. If you don't want to scope onder gun that's got a red don and it, don't use it.
Speaker 1: How far away are we from getting to where people say, don't use rangefindering range finding binoculars? Because I got a pair of loophole BX was it BX four hds that I absolutely love that I wouldn't get rid of and the technology built into like any pick, any range finding optic.
Speaker 2: There were close. We're really close to that. It's happening as we speak. I mean, you look at the you know, the three top professional leagues in fishing right now have various forms of bands, one from a complete band to a minimal band to a partial band that takes a college degree to figure out how it works. Like there are the people that don't want this to happen. This goes back to your very original question about what I texted you. The folks that don't want it are the there's the most of them. Okay, they're they're a loud bunch. They're the squeaky wheel. And right now they haven't retired. They're about to retire, but they haven't quite retired yet, and so they still have a they still have a skin in the game, and and they want it fair to them and and to be fair to them. I don't disagree with some kind of balance. I'm going to go far off the edge here, Kevin. I don't know that I feel right about having six live transducers on my boat. That's a little kill. But am I Who am I to say that's right or wrong? I think in the scope of the rules, why not. I mean, yes, if you want to with six transducers on your boat, you should have the right to do so. If you're going to talk about top levels of competition in the Bass and Walleye Worlds, there needs to be a balance. There needs to be a regulation that makes it fair across the board. Yeah, you know, that's a loose way to say that, but I really the ford facing sonar argument is one that's kind of got my blood boiling, but one that really makes me mad of these cell camera discussions, because if it's your own land and you're not on public and even if you are on public, like I did the work to put it there, I took the risk of leaving my technology on public property. Who cares?
Speaker 1: Yeah? You know what, man, That for the whole cell cam debate, I'd never understood, because you're being less intrusive to wildlife. Like so you're in there once and then you pick it up at the end of the season unless you move it.
Speaker 2: If it's public land and you're sharing that land with other hunters, you're doing them a favor.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, that's true.
Speaker 2: Not trumpet checking your cars. You know what, Kevin, we're I think that culture has shifted this way, and it's it's aggravating. I think it's kind of sad that that there are people, whether it's it's any pursuit, any any life scope examples that that we can you know, electric cars, for example, or or bump stocks on on some rifles. Like we could go way down the list on things that somebody else's opinion is impacting what you and I are able to do.
Speaker 1: And oh, yeah, you're right.
Speaker 2: I wish we could kind of get back to that. You asked me if I go back to the days of no technology, Like, I don't know that I trade it, but I do miss that simplicity of there not being a lot of arguments.
Speaker 1: Well, I think that's what I wanted to know, is if you miss the like the days when you just went out and fished, like the days when you just went out in the field and sat down, Like I mean, you and I went to hunting out in Iowa and we would just go down and we'd say, you know, you guys know the area. Our buddy Jeremy knows the area, and he says, go over here and sit down, and you've been there quite a bit. But dude, we just went and hunted.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we had fun.
Speaker 1: I didn't know what was in the area we didn't like.
Speaker 2: But when we're there next year, Kevin, We're going to have the same level of fun. Like it's still going to be a good time. And I think that that's the personal responsibility side of it, That is, it is what you make it. And uh, you know, I don't. I don't feel like I'm missing out on the experience sitting at home knowing I've got sale sell cameras soaking in Iowa. To me, that stokes the fire. To me, that increases my desire to go and to make more time available. And especially when you and I get together after how many ever years, it's been like, that's what it comes down to for me and I guess there's no room in that get together for an argument of ethicacy for cell cameras. It's not even gonna come up between you and I because we we both know the foundation we have will make us successful without that information. Absolutely the foundation And if you want to add that to your your saturl tools have had.
Speaker 1: It as you should, like as you should if you if man, don't get jealous, don't be a little jealous person like you just don't like if you want it, just like learn it.
Speaker 2: You know what goes down to dude? Social media? Social media is the devil and I'm on it right now, you know. But it's just it's like you get only the good parts of other people that they want you to think is the way every day? Yeah, not the case.
Speaker 1: Not me. I just post when I remember, and I don't remember that often.
Speaker 2: I'll just post a brag.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Really, to get down to it, it's it's like, hey, my SunShot of ear.
Speaker 1: And yeah, oh dude, that's a whole nother podcast. We can talk about how much time do you got?
Speaker 2: I got time? I have nothing.
Speaker 1: Here's what we're gonna do. Let's keep a rolling, all right, here's what we're gonna do. We're gonna break this one. I'm gonna sign off, and we're gonna pick it up next week and we're gonna have a conversation about what is Oklahoma smoking and deer hunting season? So we're gonna get the end of that on the next episode of gunn Talk Hunt. This is Thomas Allen, Like he's a superstar, folks. If you don't know him, go find him. What is your Instagram handle, my brother Thomas Allen for the number four. All right, go check him out. Yeah, go check him out. You will love what you see and you'll love what you read and what you see on TV. He is as genuine as they come. Thomas, Thanks for joining us, man.
Speaker 2: My pleasures always.
Speaker 1: All Right, that is gunn Talk Hunt for this week. You folks know, hey, youth seasons are cranking up now more than ever. Keep those muzzles point in a safe direction and always be on the hunt.