Speaker 1: Again. So what's going on? Clippers fans? Welcome to a happy hour hang at Clips and Dip. It is the off season. No idea what episode this is. I do know that season five starts after the draft, so we are rapidly approaching the end of season four. Here at Clips and Dip, I am Chuck Mockler joined by Adam Oslin. We are live on YouTube right now. If you're listening to this recording on the podcast format and you'd like to see us do the happy hour hangs, you can find us at YouTube dot com Slash at Clippers podcast. Adam, it's been two weeks since we have talked the draft and some other things. How are you doing? How's are we basking in this gauntlet that the Thunder having to go through?
Speaker 2: You know?
Speaker 1: How?
Speaker 2: How are you feeling schaden freuder with the Thunder hoping they'll lose? Yeah? Is that where people are at here? Yeah? Seems actually like most people are not just Clippers fans that don't want to hear everyone say you gave away two championships. Yeah, I'm I'm watching ball, you know, keep it up with whatever. The latest prognostication is on the fifth pick in the draft. And different mock drafts that are coming out, and I'm trying to stay in tune with everything Clippers here, but it's good to be back.
Speaker 1: Check it is good to be back. Before we get into it, we do want to give a shout out. This was from I believe this was from Ricky Chew who hit us up about this. Wanted to give a shout out about the Hoops for Hunter Syndrome fundraiser going down July nineteenth at the Ranch Sports Facility. It's a basketball mini tournament brought to you by the bou Yah Boys and Project Alive. Go check it out July nineteenth, nine to twelve pm in Chino City at the Ranch Sports Facility. We're gonna put the Lincoln here if you want to donate, but it's a Clippers fans are putting it on. It's a good cause. We're gonna go ahead and pin it. Check it out if you want to Google it. You can check out the Hoops for Hunter Syndrome again. July nineteenth, nine am to twelve pm. Adam, I'm excited to talk about the draft, but we do have to talk about one of the most frustrating things of the season that happened since the last time we spoke. Can you guess what I'm gonna talk about?
Speaker 2: Uh? Okay, not Kawhi getting second team? Chris Dunn, Yes, not making an All defensive team.
Speaker 1: What the hell? Whose fault is this?
Speaker 2: The Clippers being eighteenth defensively?
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's probably true.
Speaker 2: I gotta be honest. I used the same logic last year against Dyson Daniels, who did make first team and was second in DPOY, and I said, wait a second, Atlanta was literally last season in eighteenth defensively and he still did up All First Team, and I thought Chris Dun should have made it in over him. Last year. Well, I could use last year's argument against myself now because Chris does team was eighteenth defensively, and I think that's just what a lot of the voters look at. And you could also look on off splits with him, and according to that, they weren't any better with him on or off. Obviously, defensive tracking stuff is difficult, but I don't think it's as bad of a snub when you look at the consistency of how these things typically go. I think last year was the real issue to me, because he got on the radar coming into this year because last year people thought he was snubbed because the Clippers were third defensively and that was his first year with the team, and so unfortunately the team wasn't good enough to at least put the Clippers on notice for being one of the better defensive teams overall, so Chris Dunn can get a little bit more shine. It's unfortunate. I feel bad for him because it's not like he's not playing great defense out there, but individually, you can do all you want, just like Dyson Daniels the year before. We're getting all those steals and they were still eighteenth Atlanta this year, Chris Dunn doing great things defensively and they're still eighteenth overall.
Speaker 1: I feel bad because they did do so much promo for him over the year. He had like that golf outing, they had one of the better bobbleheads to ever be given away. Don't look up his stats the night of his bubblehead night. You don't. No one has to do that if they don't want to.
Speaker 2: Uh, what night should we look up Chris Dunn's.
Speaker 1: Stat That's very true.
Speaker 2: It's in tangibles and tangibles.
Speaker 1: So now his salary is not guaranteed next season, but Tylou has made it pretty clear that he wants Chris Dunn on the team, so I don't think he's much to josephry awards chagrin. I don't think right now he's going anywhere.
Speaker 2: Joseph was all one hundred voters just into that one man, unfortunately, voting for all defensive teams. Maybe that's what sunk his chances. I don't know. I do blame Joseph for a lot, so we can pick that to him as well.
Speaker 1: Hi, Joseph, we did send the link so we might pop in.
Speaker 2: Oh no, yeah, Like I love Chris Dunn. It's unfortunate. It is somewhat consistent though, with how these things typically go, unless you look at how they voted for Dyson Daniels last year. But that was an outlier thing with the amount of steals he was getting, so he was able to overcome the poor defensive rating by his team.
Speaker 1: Yeah, how many guards were even on it this year? Because that was my argument. I wanted Chris Done to get it, But when we talked about it earlier in the season, I was like, they don't have a lot of guards like you like dort is obviously kind of penciled into that, you know what I mean.
Speaker 2: Like because it's positionless.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's just frustrating because it's just not build for guards.
Speaker 2: I think Dyson Daniels made first team again, must be nice, which is you know they were better this year defensively. Ye, it makes sense if you don't aren't making the typical highlight plays all the time. And it's not like Chris Dunn doesn't. I mean the rip away steals, he has the free safety type play he has out there, but eighteen defensively, Yeah, that's good. That's going to hold back the individual awards.
Speaker 1: It's a damn shame. What's up? Punk's gone wrong? Yeah, we're back. Happy to be back. Let's get into this draft stuff. A name right now that is shooting up people's idea boards, including the Ringer who updated their draft board and a bunch of other mock drafts. Mickel Brown Junior. He's also officially the Clips hosted him for a pre draft visit. He was their first top ten prospect visit that the Clippers have initiated so far.
Speaker 2: Does that confirm? Do we double source it? I've seen multiple people saying he was there, he wasn't. I don't know. At some point they will reach him out. Whether it happened or not is kind of irrelevant. It's going to happen.
Speaker 1: I guess it's from hoops hype, so I don't that's fair. I'm not gonna people are saying that he was hosted for a workout. I think someone in the chat just put someone who also the Clippers put in. But what are your thoughts on Mikel Brown? He's got the back injuries. People are kind of comparing this to when the Clippers passed on mp If the Clippers were to pass on him to maybe to the MPG situation. A back injury forced him to miss ten regular season games and kept him signline for the entire ACC tournament. Have you done much looking into Mikail Brown?
Speaker 2: Get enough to get myself in trouble just to respond to Batinski there, I wasn't advocating for them to trade the pick for you, honest, I'm saying that's a possibility. Still. Mckail Brown's junior. You know, he had this lower back issue that apparently he's fully recovered from, and he had a forty inch max vertical. I think it was just under that. So athleticism wise, there's this dunking drill where he's just going back and forth and throwing down huge junks one after another while working up a sweat. So when you're talking about the guards and who's the best athlete or the biggest high flyer between him, flemings Bury's a cuff. Am I missing anybody. Mchil Brown Junior would be the guy that pops athletically in that range of the A.
Speaker 1: I say, sorry, yeah, it's interesting. I was like, his stats aren't necessarily like the ability is there, but if you're a stat guy, you know what I mean. Like he shot one mid thirties for thirty four percent from three. He loves a pull up three, just based on again limited research for me, loves a pull up three. He's a good pick and roll guy, which I think is nice.
Speaker 2: The pull up three is why the percentage is down. He's taking harder, you know, difficult, high degree of difficulty three pointers a lot. But that does say something about his offensive skill set too, because you know, James Harden for his career I think shoots around thirty five percent from three. But when you're doing it on volume and they're the toughest shots to defend that variety of three pointer. Then you get a little bit of bonus points than just a guy who shoots thirty nine percent. But it's only on catch and shoots when he's wide open, so it's hard to identify exactly what type of three pointer he shoots or how SKILLEDY is really just going off the percentage.
Speaker 1: Of course, yes, the defense I've been I don't know if I've been too focused on the defense side of the ball first looking at some of these prospects, I just want someone who's not gonna be bad, and I'm not. That's not a knock on anyone else on the team, but I'm like, I don't want like, obviously every rookie is a project to some extent, but I don't want someone who's like kind of learning how to not play defense. But you know what I'm saying, I think, right like someone who's not babied along right now in terms of how they play defense. He's engaged when he plays one on one, he's got the small frame. But I think every rookie has that issue, you know what I mean. Like it's it's interesting, like I wouldn't be too upset. I don't think.
Speaker 2: He's also on the taller side, not quite as tall as Woggler, but taller than a Cuff and Flemings and Burry's.
Speaker 1: Six three and a half.
Speaker 2: That was the no shoes official NBA combine one.
Speaker 1: I believe, so, yes, yeah, six.
Speaker 2: And y. It's I think it's interesting how much he has shot off draft boards recently. And I think it's one of the biggest questions was just the injury. How serious was it? And then you see him with these throwdowns at a workout and that kind of alleviates that concern right there.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 2: So if his athleticism gets him to a higher ceiling of a player, while he may be more of a project early on or a little bit more raw, but he can develop into somebody that maybe has superstar potential versus some of these other guys. That's probably the allure of Michale Brown Jr.
Speaker 1: I like this comment from Garrett Griffin fifteen sixty nine. So that he can lock in, we're talking on defense, he can lock in, but watching full game film, not just highlights, he's pretty inattentive off ball in poor screen navigation to be expected with a twenty year old like it's it's not to the extent that a cuff, But when you're doing that much for the offense in college basketball, it seems like they're not. The coaches aren't depressed about the defensive side of the ball.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and they played too. They can play two three zone and just stick a big man in the middle guarding the basket in college, so that kind of makes up for a lot. It's a different game in many ways. I see Quin Cornett in here. Hey, I'm glad you said Chris done this elite defender he is. It turns out, it turns out in the NBA that you can have an elite defender and still not be a good team defense.
Speaker 1: Put in time out today, if you're bringing if you're bringing.
Speaker 2: Bullshit, guy's got to be connected out there. Team game gotta be connected.
Speaker 1: I do like a lot of the scouting reports on Brown said he has quick hands in the passing lanes, which like, yeah, like we're watching a team right now. The Spurs, who clearly have drilled into their guys be in the passing lanes. However, you can be and it's something that we see from Chris Dunn and things like that. So I like that aspect. I like, that's one of my favorite traits to see in a rookie at this stage, where it's like, oh, he's active in the passing lanes, He's able to make good decisions on when to tip passes and stuff like that. Like that is something that I did like on his scouting reports.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it feels like when it comes to defend defensive acumen and guys coming out of college that's more of a wild card of how they're going to shake out at the next level defensively, So maybe we don't put as much into grinding and trying to see how good he's going to be on that end. You know, I don't know if everybody thought Chris Dunn was going to be this good of a defender coming out because he was scoring more thanah.
Speaker 1: I don't think he was drafted for his defense.
Speaker 2: Would be my gues He realized, I think he was solid, but he realized he had to change who he was as a player in order to make it in this league.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm very smart.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and he was was he fifth or sixth.
Speaker 1: Check?
Speaker 2: It was? He was definitely top ten. I mean he was a baller, and I think they made this week's Sweet sixteen.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Garrett Griffin, thank you for the great comments. Garrett Griffin. If he says, if you trust the Clips coaching development they're in, I'll tell you what I like Van Gundy being part of that development. That's something that I do have to remind myself with looking at a lot of these guards, is that we do have Van Gundy. Who's getting a guy right. You know, he's not getting somebod who's been in the league a couple of years who might have league bad habits. He's getting a multiple piece of clay or cookie dough if you're a Zulander fan, to try and get this defensive acumen heightened. Obviously not elite or something like that, but good.
Speaker 2: Of course, teams are circling around Van Gundy. He's trying to see if he wants to be a head coach. Again.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't believe that Blazer's report. I was like, this feels like bull Like, why would Van Gundy go to this owner's team, Like from what he said about owners disrespecting coaches and stuff like that, I couldn't see Van Gundy coaching for that owner.
Speaker 2: I do think development the last couple of years has been encouraging with the young guys. That's something to look at when you're talking about drafting somebody who may be on the a little bit of the underdeveloped, more raw side, mckil brown. So the Clippers seem to have some positivity in that direction.
Speaker 1: As of late, Brad Semmler bringing up a point that I literally just added to the breakdown like a second before we started this. There's been some chatter uh. ESPN's Jeremy Wu wrote that rival teams are viewing Karim Lopez as a trade back candidate in the case of the Clippers and the Nats. So this would be a trade back scenario. But I I don't know, I'm not as in love with this idea. I don't like I would be kind of upset if they traded back to get from the top five for a guy who's I don't know, you know what, Like he's nineteen, he's just turned nineteen. He played in New Zealand, which that it's a very physical league and stuff like that. But I don't know, man, I know he's a big, but he's not like a defensive stalwart big or something like that. The development seems like it'd be really long for someone. For Karam Lopez, the mold is there. He's gigantic, you know what I mean, Like he has the frame, but I don't know about that one.
Speaker 2: Well, we've already had, you know, a son play with his father in LA and now you've got Karim Lopez and Brook Lopez to get like this is okay, I'll take it the one guy that okay. First of all, if you're going to trade back, the only way I would do that, well, it means there's too many unknowns and you don't believe anybody is an obvious star. Where you're drafting at five and the obvious stars already went in the top four. So if we're taking a risk anyways and it turns into a craft shooting, and that does seem to be more of the hinge swing point of the draft a little bit, where the first four seem obvious. We'll see what happens on draft night, but after that it gets a little bit more murky. If you don't think one of those guys you know has all star superstar potential and you're drafting that high, then I would trade back because if you're drafting that high, you better get somebody that has a high enough ceiling there, because it's a guy who knows how many times you're gonna have this good of a draft pick, especially with the new rules being implemented out, so you have to swing for the fences, even if you know you take a risk on a guy who has more question marks, but the athleticism is so off the charge or NBA body is there. I think you have to do that that position. But the Clippers could think differently the one guy that.
Speaker 1: Uh, because couldn't you also draft a guy at five and then trade that guy? Like that's the other sure? Like I mean I would I would rather that than move back for some reason, I'm not interested in moving back, Like.
Speaker 2: Well, they're not going to move back untill they're on the clock. Yes, there's no way the guy could drop out. Caleb Wilson doesn't get picked in the top four and all of a sudden, what if somebody else, what if Memphis or Chicago. I saw a report earlier the Bulls talking about a coff like he used their new Derrick Rose And what if one of those teams surprises you and all of a sudden, Boozer or Caleb Wilson becomes available. So you definitely can't do it before you're on the clock.
Speaker 1: Right. We talked about like two weeks ago. We were like, it kind of hinges on what the Bulls do because yeah, and they could go in many directions, and you should never try and predict what the Bulls are going to do now that they have a new they have some new front office people. It's gonna come down to the wire. But yeah, I just will who will Updyke, you know, obviously wants the Clips to move back to Yoxall Lindelboard. I don't know about that. No one seems to be on board with my idea of Braden Burry's at five, not even like no nobody has supported that, so I think I might be abandoning it.
Speaker 2: I like Bury's, but do you need to take him at five? That's you could also trade back for.
Speaker 1: And I'm also like, how far could you even moved? Like I guess, I just don't know, because the move down scenario is that someone in this top four doesn't get picked, and then another team like the Kings freaks out, you know what I mean, and makes a move or something like that.
Speaker 2: But I think they're freaking out regardless. I think they want a cup bad.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I wonder what they'd give us a move up to five, they'll probably wait, we're not gonna mad. This is gonna be a tense fucking draft.
Speaker 2: One guy that's caught my eye if you're moving back, the kid out of Tennessee, Nate Ahman, who going into this year they thought he could be a top five pick. He has some Yiannis capabilities with his frame is ball handling, but he's a much better shooter. He's wiry, he's long, he's lanky, he's raw. He's really interesting as a big. That's somebody that I've been watching some highlights with and making. Okay, that's interesting to me. If you are going to move back if he's still around, Yeah, I'm.
Speaker 1: Not mad at that because I've said, like, it is kind of not unfortunate for the Clippers, but it is not necessarily the most advantageous draft in terms of the guys, Like it's just a very guard heavy draft, and the Clippers made the trade. Obviously Darius Garland's here, but like, it's unfortunate that three of the top four guys are forwards and then like six of the top ten are our guards. So I wouldn't. Yeah, yeah, good.
Speaker 2: I'm of the belief that having Darius Garland should not weigh on anyone's mind of who they take in this draft.
Speaker 1: It can't.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you have to get best player available. Now. If two guys are right there on your draft board, next to each other, and one's at a position that is more open to slide into now, then yeah, I go with that guy. But if there's a difference, if there's a differentiator that you really think, okay, this one, I'm slotting him a little bit higher on the draft board. I'm going with that guy regardless of position. Because the Clippers are not, as LaRence Frank said in the season ending exit interview, they are in the competitive here right now in the NBA, they're not in the contender. And to me, unless you're a contender that is looking for something specific in the draft, a hole that you can fill, then you better be drafting best player available.
Speaker 1: You're James Wiseman's It's an example. I like what Garrett Griffin said hear about a cuff and the hit factor. You do watch a Cuff play and you're like, damn, like this this kid has something, And again, what the rookie scale. The rookie salary becomes so much more important with the Aprons, with all of this new bullshit from the Commissioner of the NBA that we're seeing that rookie, that rookie contract is important for a team like the Clippers, who do have a fair flexibility.
Speaker 2: We look at the teams in the Western Conference finals right now and how many guys they have on team friend the still rookie deals. I mean, it makes all the difference in the world. We're already talking about. Okay, see, he has to make some decisions this summer, but they've been in that perfect spot where you still It's kind of like in the NFL. You know, you build around the young quarterback, but then eventually you have to pay him and it can gut the rest of your roster, like we saw maybe the Seahawks and Russell Wilson at one point, or you know, justin Herbert. Everybody has to deal with that eventually.
Speaker 1: But or you just pay two a year early and then ruin everything.
Speaker 2: Sorry, Oh, if you want to fast track, you like, I'm trying to move on, so are they.
Speaker 1: I cannot wait. This is going to sound crazy. I cannot wait. For Dolphins football.
Speaker 2: You guys don't play Atlanta this year?
Speaker 1: Do you?
Speaker 2: Are you playing the NFC South? Let me see your division? Does that'd be interesting? I think we get a pants Dolphins game.
Speaker 1: Then I think we play them in the preseason. We play in the last game of the preseason, but I think that I think they would absolutely destroy Toua. It's just the preseason. I can't wait to watch this team win three games. Dude, I'm a complete sick Oh, Like, I'm so hyped. I was watching blocking tight end highlights the other day. We gotta we gotta vote for a Cuff in the draft. A Cuff is the guy great draft combined stats, SEC Champ and John Calipari stamp of approval. That is one thing that keeps lingering with me when I when I start questioning the Acuff pick at five, I'm like, he is coached by the guy who continues to produce very good guards in the NBA. Like he's got that formula figured out.
Speaker 2: The pedigree is there two weeks ago? That's where I was leaning. I'm still there, but you could talk me out of it easily. You could talk me into another guy. I'm not fully committed I don't have that level of conviction with anybody because the draft is it's wild. But I just think when you're talking about a polished offensive player that could easily come into the league and average fifteen points per game right away, that looks like a cuff. But the question is is that also a winning player? Because we know so much more with advanced stats now and actual impact versus just the raw numbers and traditional numbers out there. Obviously he has to be a better defender, but he does look like somebody that has a lot of poison, some of those intangibles you'd look for in a guy.
Speaker 1: So this is funny. Gilbert Rivera bringing this up, he said, so we agree, no more Keaton Woggler. I don't know if I'm out on Woggler, but he is and I would obviously love to be proven wrong on this, but he's not in my Like if we drafted Woggar would say great, I hope this works out. That's awesome, But he's not as exciting. I don't think like it's he just worked really hard to get buckets in college.
Speaker 2: I think that's what Alfonso Lopez is missing when he says he's a combo of Steph and Shay, like comparing him to that's a Hall of Famer. Shaye will be a Hall of Famer as well. Like, that's just an insane comp I'm sorry, Like, just because he has a flash here and there of a similar type of move does not mean he can do it consistently, does not mean he can do it at the next level consistently. That's putting way too much pressure on a young player like that.
Speaker 1: He also doesn't play, Like, Yeah, I just I people. I hate player comps. I know it's something that it's you kind of do in your own mind, but I hate when it's like, oh, he moves like Shay. It's like he he doesn't. And that's not a bad thing. Was it really got that comp out of college. I'll never forget it. It was like, oh, Kawahi, but he can shoot, and you like, I don't know, man, Like, that's a very unfairb.
Speaker 2: Remember when Jordan Miller was doing the d cell when he first got into the rotation two years ago, and everybody's like, oh my god, he could be Shay. Yeah, guys, there's I wish you know what I mean, players can mimic a guy's one move and do it here and there, but never turn into that type of player. That's just I don't think that's that's fair analysis, And I agree with you. I'm not out on Woggler at all. No, I just do think there's a real concern with if you have to work that hard to get buckets in college because you lack the wiggle burst athleticism, ability to turn the corner and you're basically using off arm and pushing guys around a little bit, I don't know if that's gonna work at the next level to that degree. Can you put on more size? Can that change? Sure? Is his playmaking making up for it? Maybe? I just I don't think it's as simple as helping him to Steph and SGA because of a couple of moments. I went back and watched SGA at Kentucky recently just to see that comparison, because you know, a lot of people have have said that SGA clearly had more wiggle ability to beat his man off the dribble than Wobbler, and.
Speaker 1: Knew how to use his frame, knew how to use his slight. He was so he was a small player as a rookie.
Speaker 2: Like he was, Oh yeah, I couldn't believe when I saw him a media day, I was like, oh my god, is this string being Because you know, like guys either look much bigger, much smaller, or batter skinnier in person. Shaye was one of those that really stands out when you see him in person. And that was his rookie year and that was him and his Finnis in the NBA.
Speaker 1: I've been Yeah, I've been the skinny player on the team all my life, and it is like yo, yeah, Like once you put that jersey on, it's not it does not do you any favors.
Speaker 2: See other people like Acuff the next coming to d Rose, Like did you watch de Rose? He does not have that level of athleticism you're talking about d Rose on the knicks Like d Rose before all the knee injuries. Uh, one of the most athletic, freakish athletes we've ever seen. A Cuff is not that he's but but he's more well rounded in his game and has a much better shot coming out of college.
Speaker 1: Yes, absolutely, from the outside, it's it's yeah, you can't really compare it. Anthony Robinson saying Luca doesn't pet.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's freaking huge, He's huge seventy bro. He literally weighs one hundred more pounds than Walkler, Like, what are we talking about? Have also better athletes when he was coming out.
Speaker 1: And he also played in like the second best league in the world.
Speaker 2: It was a pro at twelve.
Speaker 1: But this is something we do know. What if we get Woggler on awaken plan and he gains one hundred pounds, then we're good.
Speaker 2: The difference is okay. Luka Dancics was quicker before he started to gain the weight. Woggler starting at a position where he's not even as quicker as shifty as Luca was at probably two twenty or whatever Luca was coming out. Yeah, if he's already slow it this weight, I'm concerned he puts more weight on. There's something more athleticism. You could do that with Luca because the starting point was a little bit higher with his athleticism. Go watch Luca's rookie year, go watch his highlights. Soberseas like he was definitely a better athlete.
Speaker 1: I'll follow those things. Same stuff they said about Steph when he came out of Davidson. That's why he got drafted seven. I don't know man did Stephan Anyway, all right, we're moving on from the Woggler player cops, because so far we've heard Luca say Steph.
Speaker 2: Steph wasn't backing his man down and using spin moves with craftiness around the rim like Woggler can do at the college level. I just don't know if that can translate against NBA guys. Steph was pulling up from everywhere at Davidson. They're not the same, and it was on.
Speaker 1: All these guys. So what's interesting to you with all these picks is fans are gonna want this guy to contribute right away. And if let's not forget that Bradley Beal is still on this team. Yeah, which is easy to forget. No disrespect to Bradley Beal, but sometimes you're like, oh, yeah, Bradley Beal is assumedly penciled in, is the starting two guard.
Speaker 2: When did he get hurt Game three? Yeah, I mean, yeah, it's out of side, out of mind. But and it's a good contract. But how is he gonna look coming off as rare injury? I have no idea.
Speaker 1: I couldn't tell you. So maybe that does maybe we get a thing. There's just a lot of question marks.
Speaker 2: Like.
Speaker 1: The front office itself does want someone I'm assuming who's obviously gonna be able to help contribute in this window of like winning with Kawhi from what we've heard, which also I would like to give a tip of the hat to Justin Russo who tweeted out I feel compelled to say that all of the Kawhi Leonard trade packages that get floated out and mock drafts are terrible and the people doing them should feel bad. I haven't seen a single good idea for a Kawhi trade, Like the Pistons wanted, but they're giving us their twenty twenty eight first round pick, and you're like great.
Speaker 2: So now you're like, are they Are they going to finish four through ten? Because then you get three lottery balls. You have to just shift your mind You have to change your mindset. With the new lottery rules, maybe.
Speaker 1: They would finish fourth through ten if we traded them Kawhi. They're probably not winning sixty games.
Speaker 2: Again, sometimes I can't tell sometimes if we're too much in the Clippers bubble and overvaluing Kawhi because he's about to be thirty five, or for undervaluing him because his season was that spectacular.
Speaker 1: I would like to.
Speaker 2: It just didn't end well, you know, it didn't didn't have a great game against Golden State, and that is reframing how people see Kawhi. I think that's why he only got four votes for first Team All NBA because they didn't have the ballots in yet all the way, Yeah, that's a good call. Four is just I'm sorry, it's too low. You can make the argument he's not All NBA first Team. That's fine with me. Yeah, I get or when everybody was saying not just us, everybody was saying for about two and a half months, Uh, this is the best Kawhai's ever looked. Uh? Is he the best player in the game.
Speaker 1: It's his best offensive season possibly ever, if you can factor in the ramping up of the outside shooting.
Speaker 2: Well you want to talk about on off splits, they were all of the teen points better with him out there.
Speaker 1: Like it was insane, that's unreal, and all of the ideas just like are bad, Like I don't want Duncan Robinson, Isaiah Stewart on this team, Like.
Speaker 2: Yeah, what was you said? Twenty twenty eight first round pick that was the only draft capital.
Speaker 1: Let me check. I've posted one on Twitter that made people really mad.
Speaker 2: Was there one for Miami to resigning?
Speaker 1: Dude, Look, people who create mock drafts for the Miami Heat are like the most I don't know what it is, but it's just like, what if you gave me Kawhi Leonard and I gave you a a big bag of shit and it's like, well, I don't want to do that, Like we get like Tyler Hero.
Speaker 2: And yeah, the Tyler Hero.
Speaker 1: That's who they would trade for part of it, and I don't want him on the team. He's got one of the worst tattoos in the league.
Speaker 2: I don't have an issue with that, but the contract.
Speaker 1: I take issue with that. That's bad decision making. If you have bad tattoos to a certain extent, that's bad decision making. And I'm a fan of Mike Scott.
Speaker 2: H Tyler Hero is a He's in a contract year actually thirty three million this year unrestricted after that.
Speaker 1: Thirty three is a lot for Tyler Hero.
Speaker 2: But I mean it's expiring though I don't.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's true, and they do. They just also it's like the Clippers have they don't have to trade Kawhi. We have movable assets, we have what thirty five million and expirings.
Speaker 2: Well, did we come to the conclusion about forty two million? They could have up to forty two million depending on who comes back with John Collins, with Mathurine, Right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, for sure, because we got Lopez bogged in.
Speaker 2: Lopez and Nico are on team options.
Speaker 1: I believe he look man, the Clipper's posting some Nico highlights the other day and I was like, hell, yeah, club option five point eight million, not nothing.
Speaker 2: Like you do have to consider with Kawhi And this is this is not an original thought, but it seems that people have very quickly forgotten because he played sixty five games this year that if you wait, he say, oh, we can wait for a better offer. What if he gets reinjured? What if this is selling at the peak right now? Because also he's extension eligible, so he wants to go. Like, if they're not working out a contract for him to extend as a Clipper this summer, I'm guessing he's gonna want to go somewhere else. Sometimes I think he's going to play on an expiring with his his how injury prone he is.
Speaker 1: Sometimes I think about the Mike Trout thing where I'm like, does he just like living where he lives.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, oh no, I think he will just stay with the Flippers. All things are equal Clippers for sure.
Speaker 1: Yeah Ayfish is saying, I think Kawhi to Miami for where. I don't know. If the Heat want to move where.
Speaker 2: That'd be great. That's what everybody wants from them.
Speaker 1: But yeah, yeah, this feels like our version of the bag of ship trade that I just talked about, not the Kauhi as a bag of shit, but like where is very clarifying, I have to but it's it would be selling high if the Clippers did it before the next season started. It's selling high because if he comes out and they start six and or some boot, not that they will.
Speaker 2: I think people also can be frustrated with the return though, because they're not looking at the fact he's thirty five and looking at the long injury history, and they're probably just going recency bias of the past year and the fact that he's on and expiring. All those things are working against the Clippers, and negotiations if those are being had or if they are going to be at some point.
Speaker 1: The Golden State thing. None of those trades look like something that I think Lawrence Frank would execute.
Speaker 2: There was one that I was interested in.
Speaker 1: What is it that?
Speaker 2: There was definitely one where they were giving up two picks, and I think Moody.
Speaker 1: I don't want, Yeah, I don't want any part of Butler, Draymond or Porzingis.
Speaker 2: Draymond might have been included to make the money work, but he's in expiring after this year. Yeah, Butler.
Speaker 1: I was like, I still have to do with Draymond on my team, which seems like a fucking nightmare at this stage in his career.
Speaker 2: The Butler expiring is likely the one that's going out in any big Golden State move they make to make the money match. But it would be hard to see him within the PACTV playing for a different team four times a year, and a team that you would expect to be better if they have Kawhi and Steph Curry. That would be hard. Typically, you want to send these guys to the Eastern Conference.
Speaker 1: Yeah, not six hours north.
Speaker 2: Best case scenario you send them to another country like San Antonio.
Speaker 1: Yeah, let's do Kawhi to Brooklyn for MPJ in the sixth Yeah, let's call that in. I'm in for that. That would be awesome.
Speaker 2: I'm good with it.
Speaker 1: I like, yeah, we do have to talk about this real quick. Adam, did you bring a dip today?
Speaker 2: I did.
Speaker 1: For those of you who are new to the show, in the off season, we are called clips and Dip. We do a dip segment. We either make a dip a viewer suggestion, we go buy one. I have finished all of what I was eating with my dip. We had a good, good setup last week. Adam, what did you bring for your dip?
Speaker 2: Alfonso comment, I can't tell if this guy's a troller? What okay? So I went back to my tried and true, old faithful Tostitos eightium nacho cheese dip and I was using. I had a steak burrito bowl and I was just like taking the steak. But it was steak and cheese, cheese and steak. It it was good. It was really good. And you would questionable dip says of late, But this, this, this is a Bob approach.
Speaker 1: Now the honey. The honey started conversation that was that was experimental, Jack, you would bring that, you would bring that to the barbecue.
Speaker 2: I would assume it would already be there. But yeah, I.
Speaker 1: Went with spicy to Zeke, which also on the late is dip and spread. It's throwing everything into some kind of chaos. It was pretty good. It wasn't as spicy as I wanted it to be. It says it's two out of three pepper spicy. It's nowhere near that. It is maybe half a pepper spicy. I enjoyed it with some peda, with some olive oil and salt on it, toasted. I would bring it to a barbecue of someone who I knew doesn't really like exotic, you know, like doesn't really have an adventurous palette. I guess. Yeah, but it was pretty solid. Yeah, what do we think will it's a people pleaser? It's not. Yeah, it's fading into the background.
Speaker 2: It's mainstream dip.
Speaker 1: Yeah made, oh, absolutely mainstream dip. Okay, thank you for adhering to the dip took everybody. We are contractually obligated to do that. Someone's asking, why would we trade Kawhi? Really makes no sense. He's a top ten player new arena. Who's gonna pay money to see a bunch of role players? I guess from the from the business sense, I can see this argument.
Speaker 2: That's definitely something we have to considers on the outside and you're crossing the bridge and into a dome. That's where you put your stars that you're branding in your marketing. But I think we're missing the part where Kawhi may want to leave if he doesn't feel like the Clippers are going to be a contender in the near future, he may want to go somewhere else, and so it may not be about what the Clippers want.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's And I wonder because he's already taken less technically than the max for his last contract, So you wonder what that next deal looks like, what a team goes over the second or third apron to sign it.
Speaker 2: Like my guess would be somewhere that's like a two plus one or a three year deal that's around a hundred million, Like he's getting around thirty million per year, a little bit over.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I would be perfectly fine with that for the Clips, because we still don't know what we're signing Jonathan Collins or what the Mathine deal looks like. There's been no chatter about that.
Speaker 2: It's just a lot of these comments are swinging the other way. The first time Kawhi gets injured as a little ankle. He's out for a couple a couple of games, and everybody starts freaking out, saying, why didn't we trade them? Why didn't we trade them while he's healthy? I know how this goes.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, I like this question from Blackout. Would you rather get more picks or players?
Speaker 2: Back?
Speaker 1: Keeping in mind the new lot of rules. The new lot of rules do make it interesting kind of what you were talking about, Like, if we get the Pistons pick in the next two years or whatever, four through ten doesn't seem crazy for them, you know.
Speaker 2: Like, yeah, it's the problem here is it completely depends on the player.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 2: There are players I'd want more than picks. There are picks I'd rather have them players.
Speaker 1: I like this, what if we got Wemby. Oh no, they're saying we need a Wemby Stopper brother brother, Sure, yeah, let's do it. I think the only Wemby Stopper is someone you hire to injure Wemby on the way to the arena.
Speaker 2: I help my artery Stopper kicks in right now because that wild comment.
Speaker 1: I don't know. I yeah, we do need honestly, they're not wrong, though, we do need a web Stopper counterpoint, No, we don't, right, like get healthy, yeah please, And we don't really have a timeline for that or anything. November is kind of what Justin Russo mentioned, like timeline wise.
Speaker 2: I said, I wouldn't be shocked to not see him till December.
Speaker 1: They're gonna take the guys and they're gonna take their time.
Speaker 2: He's a young player. You have to Yeah, you've invested too much. You're not going to rush him back.
Speaker 1: Andy Marrow possible Wemby Stopper, All right, we gotta get out of here. People are getting crazy. Do you have any thoughts on uh, the Shay Underdog AI lawsuit.
Speaker 2: The only thing so at first, because what are you suing exactly? What are you using? Yeah, name and likeness with it. They're not using a generic player that just looks like him. It literally has his jersey and everything. Yeah, so they're not disguising it. This isn't like number twenty three on an old school NBA game that plays for the Bulls because Michael Jordan owned his name and likeness.
Speaker 1: Or the guy who would play for Barry Bonds in the MLB games, like Chris Stevens or whatever the name was like I.
Speaker 2: Think it was whatever Wesley Snipe's name was in the fan he man.
Speaker 1: What's a crazy movie? I just think, like, I mean, anyone any other celebrities have done this. You can't use my likeness to make my a like to disparage me, especially from I think people are maybe forgetting that Underdog is a billion dollar gambling company.
Speaker 2: Like I don't care about that, but they're obviously like they're using this for their own marketing. They're getting something out of it. This is not some rando on Twitter that just made this right, Like, they are a huge company.
Speaker 1: And again, you can't use the likeness like that, like.
Speaker 2: You, I think it's I think most celebrities would get behind Shay as they I.
Speaker 1: Mean other celebrities like Wemby suits someone for an AI thing. I think Lebron suits someone because they kept making AI photos of him as pregnant. Like you can't let people who use AI to create anything. You can't give him a fucking inch because they're idiots inherently in terms of generative image stuff, like you can't be doing that, Like.
Speaker 2: There was one person that was cool with this, and it was the late great Val Kilmer, who is going to have a movie.
Speaker 1: Was it or did his family decide he's cool with it?
Speaker 2: Well, who knows? Would I would hope they'd look out for his best interests and maybe when he was alive he had to sign something. Well, if he was, I don't know.
Speaker 1: I don't know. Well because stan Lee, it's happened with stan Lee too, Like I don't know. I'm on Obviously, no one is like pro flopping or anything like that, but I am pro and athlete suing a billion dollar company for using their likeness in such a coordinated, gross way like this is kind of an unprecedented thing. Like even the band the Boss shirts, at least Bo's made those themselves.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they're pushing the envelope. They're seeing what they can get away with. And because it's still the wild wild West with these things, we'll learn as we go along. But I think as much as people get on the OKC Thunder and Shay and I get it, and I understand it to a degree. Sure, they're so damn elite at basketball that I can overlook a lot of that. That's just me though.
Speaker 1: Did you see the clip where Nick Wright was talking about the flopping and everything, and the other host is like, well, if they're so good this, why didn't they lead the league in free throws? And Nick, well, I don't know, and you're like, okay, all right, we're gonna get out of here. Adam. Oh wait, we do one more shout out for the hoops for Hunter syndrome. It's pinned at the top of the chat. Check it out if you want to donate. You can donate if you want to go, show up and hoop at the RANT Sports Facility in Chino on July nineteenth. That's nine to twelve pm. I know we could. You can hoop, so careful about that. We'll be back probably next week, might take another week off, who knows, Adam. We need one positive thing. The vibes are good in Clipper Nation. We're all just excited about who's gonna be taking it Fifth. Doesn't seem like people are getting too insane yet about who they want to take. It's me and three other people on Berry's Island. We're running out of supplies. The boat is crashed, we have no we can't make any fire.
Speaker 2: I'm in, but I don't know about Fifth. I'm in for a trade back scenario where you end up with Berry's.
Speaker 1: All right, So your invitations you hit that you checked maybe on the yes no maybe note you clicked maybe give us one positive thing heading into this weekend.
Speaker 2: I feel like I need to circle back to the start of this show, which is for everyone that doesn't want to deal with hearing the Clippers trade this guy and the picks again. Oh those are Game seven tomorrow and I think it's a coin flip. I think said that Zodio could definitely win, especially without aj Mitchell playing and Jay Dubb is out now. Uh so yeah, oh thanks sal if you are okay, see thunder hater or you just are annoyed. And this is very understandable with the uh revisionist history by many media members with that trade from twenty nineteen, and you don't want to hear any more of it, which you will incessantly if they make it to the finals and winning again. Therese are Game seven tomorrow. We shall see.
Speaker 1: And we didn't even give them that good of a pick this year.
Speaker 2: We'll see, I mean, Sam Pressy, Devil Magic, it'll come over with something.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no devil Magic talk. That's for the Patreon all right, we will be back. Thank you all for hanging out. You can find us at clippers pod on Twitter. You can find us at clippers podcast on YouTube if you're listening. We do appreciate that we're gonna put this out on audio to be out in just a bit, and as always, let's go clips.