Speaker 1: Five o five.
Speaker 2: If you do have k r C the talk station, Happy Friday, says a vacation, there's a woohoo for Friday. Inspte of what's going on in the world, which a lot of positive stuff going on, particularly out in the fires out west. Get to that in a moment. Bright the time's here. Wishing everyone of every happy Friday, and uh, good morning to executive producer Joe Stracker. Appreciate the job he does each and every day here on the fifty five KRC Morning Show, including winding up the guests like yes, it is Tech Friday with Dave Hatter day six thirty every Friday for out of the gate for the calendar year, at least for me, met his fact checking well firm that got sacked by Mark Zuckerberg. Of course, no one's giving him a pass for working and cooperating with the Department of Justice and suppressing all kinds of information, most notably factual information relating to COVID. Reminding you to go back and listen to my interview with Congressman brad Winstrip about the COVID report. FBI China accused the US government devices and networks are access for other US government devices and networks. We've already gone over that a little bit. This week we'll get the real details from Dave Hatter, who has a broader and greater understanding of that kind of thing. Plus phishing attacks. You thought they were bad, they doubled in counter year twenty twenty four. So those are our topics with Dave coming up at six thirty hour of power. Todd Zendzer and I like the label Joe Strekker applied to Todd Zenser, our watchdog of city council and commissioners County commissioners. Todd brilliant man. He'll be in studio. We'll be talking about the recent shootings in Price Hill at what was going on in council on Wednesday? He was there, what was discussed? At least he was there and probably wasn't anybody from local news there. And finally, do we need a new arena? We'll be paying for that one anyway. Our wine some friend Keegan corcor In fifty five k s wine Sammie. He'll be joining us just via telephone, so there will be no fake drinking going on in the studio. But why dry January which is which is a thing?
Speaker 3: Uh?
Speaker 2: He claims it harms the hospitality and retail businesses. And I put up a Facebook post about that, and by all accounts, apparently stirred a big pot of of dissent anger maybe varying opinions on whether or not it does hurt the hospitality retail business. How many people actually uh doing dry? January? Joj do you have any shlivovitz yet this year? You have not been dry? But not shlivovitz? Okay, fair enough, Joe Huker's celebratory drink of choice. You haven't ever drank shlivovitz. Boy, it packs the punch. Let's just put it that way. H And finally, eight thirty, Rebecca Cerndorf Ohioans for Child Protection apparently Mike Dwaine finally signed the legislation. It took years to get past. And we'll be talking about, you know, the start to finish journey that Rebecca went on, behalf of protecting children here in the state of Ohio. That at eight thirty, And of course between now and then, like in times right now, no guests on the phone, no guests in the studio, feel free to call five one, three, seven, four nine fifty five hundred eight hundred and eighty two three talk goth pound five to fifty on AT and T phones. So what's going on at in La death holl up to ten? You heard that at the top of the UR news, which is you know, honestly when you I don't know if you've looked online at the photographs, it's not to negate the devastation or the human carnage because we are at ten people. And this is kind of the point I'm making. It looks like Nagasaki after the bomb was dropped, or Hiroshima. Some of these neighborhoods. There's multiple images online that before and after when some of them have that little slide bar down the middle where you can look at what it looked like before and what it looked like after. I mean, it literally looks like a massive bomb was dropped over all these neighborhoods. And the price of the homes like this specific Palisades neighborhood, I think they said the average, the median or the sort of mid price of the homes there three and a half million dollars a pop. We'll get to the insurance realities of that sometime this morning. And there's no doubt in my mind in prayers to anybody who's lost anything out there, unlike some people Keith Oldman, for example, you know, sort of making fun of or otherwise piling on people who've lost James Wood's not a real fan among the Hollywood leftist because of course he's one of the few conservatives. He lost his home, and I guess some people were making fun of him, telling him got what he deserved, and that's not appropriate. And that's kind of the point I'm trying to make here. I don't wish anyone this kind of this terrible, terrible reality to befall them, but I think it's pretty safe to assume that the death Hole is not going to stay at double at ten anyway. They're still struggling to contain the blazes. At least five of these fires are still burning. I mean, they're infernos, it's just many of them not contained at all. They're burning simultaneously all around Los Angeles. Entire neighborhoods engulfed. More than ten thousand and counting structures have been burned to the ground. Medical examiner again gave the new death hole. Los Angeles County Chef Robert Luna, speaking at a briefing yesterday evening, the obvious question is do you think it's going to grow? Refering to the death, County said, I'm praying a dozen, but based on the devastation, it looks like an atomic bomb dropped in these areas. I'm not expecting good news exactly. So far, economic losses have been estimated in the tens of billions of dollars. I've seen figures from fifty billion to one hundred and thirty billion dollars. Of course, thousands of people no longer have a place to live, more than what two hundred thousand plus people without power, three hundred and sixty thousand plus people under a mandatory evacuation order, and one that accidentally issued for the entire Los Angeles County, which I believe contains ten million people. It was a woops moment everybody get out of a Los Angeles County like, well what And I'm not certain that you know that you know these fires could actually engulf all of Los Angeles County, but consider that as a possibility. How did ten million people evacuate, especially when you know you're surrounded by wildfires. Pacivic Palis Sage neighborhood absolutely just wiped out. Five thousand, three hundred homps so far been destroyed, including businesses. And that's the other element of it. Okay, First off, where do these people stay? And if their businesses burned down, and a lot of them did, they're not going to be going to work anytime soon. The ripple effect of this kind of thing is just almost overwhelming when you start contemplating the subtleties and the sub layers that go on when entire neighborhoods and city size swaths of land just disappear in a moment's notice. I mean, this thing's only been going on for three and a half days. The Eaton fire and Pasadena area damaged more than five thousand structures. It was this thirteen thousand, six hundred acre fire yesterday. I'm not sure if they made any progress since yesterday. It is early in the morning. A new fire broke out yesterday afternoon. West Hills neighborhood of LA's San Fernando Valley lit up, started spreading in the neighboring Ventura County, quickly growing to one thousand acres, and officials had to issue new evacuation orders in morning for those regions, saying that it was likely to grow rapidly because of yes the winds continue to blow and most of them uncontained. Yesterday, of course, firefighter resources stretched to the limits, smoke literally everywhere, and even where the fires aren't close by and jeopardizing buildings, They've still had to shut down schools because, well, the air quality index is so bad. I guess people can't breathe. But part of me wanted to say, well, if you can't breathe in a school and you close the schools because of that, well where are you going to go to breathe? Since the entire area is basically filled with smoke. President Biden said that the federal government's going to be covering one hundred percent of the disaster response for one hundred and eighty days. That's up from the seventy five percent and normally covers corner to Biden, I told the governor local officials spare no expense to do what they need to do to contain these fires. Can they turn the water on? That's been a real problem for the residents of Los Angeles, and I think if there's one major criticism we can levy on them, shouldn't you at least adequately prepare for water pressure. You live in a dam tinderbox brought about largely from just well ignoring the problem. And there are many out there screaming about global warming. Bernie Sanders blaming global warming on this. Eight hundred or eighty thousand people told to evacuate plazes, zero percent contained eight months, since the area is seen rained, The scale of damage and losses unimaginable. Climate change is real, not a hoax. Donald Trump must treat this like the existential crisis.
Speaker 4: It is.
Speaker 2: All right on that particular note. Gavin Newsom and many many other Democrats blaming global warming or climate change for the fires. You love in a tinder box, You have no water pressure. You haven't done a damn thing to remove the brush and all the tinder that's surrounding you. You haven't put any fire breaks in. You haven't done anything at all to address the real problems that exist right now. So let's say climate change man made. Responsible climate change is let's assume that for the sake of discussion, and that you know, fifty years from now the temperature will be one degree warmer, and that's the concern. I guess the sea levels are going to rise, and you know New York City's going to be underwater. Whatever. Okay, between now and then, this so called climate change created problem can be addressed and must be addressed with real time right blos Linkan now threats that this thing has allegedly created, in other words, the dry conditions and the tinder box that they're sitting in. How about cleaning out the tender how about adequately preparing for fire responses. How about well, maybe getting a water supply and rather than release all the water into the ocean because of a smell, maybe you need more water resources because oge climate change has created this problem. But we're gonna have to deal with the real problem between now and then, which is the risk, the genuine risk that this whole thing may go up like a box of matches, which look it just did. So are they're busy spending money on carbon capture programs and trying to get people in an electric vehicle because well, climate change, they're letting the rest of the place create a genuine, life threatening right now problem. I think it's a failure priorities, folks, and you know they listen to somebody who doesn't believe that you and I respond with the ups and downs of the of the weather jays Louise. They said he's going to be the costliest wildfires in US history. Got JP Morgan and a couple of other sources saying, you know, the economic losses, economic losses fifty billion highly of insurance losses from natural disasters can well vary and from the initial estimates. And honestly, if I'm a betting man, I'm putting it all down on this costing more than fifty billion dollars five eighteen fifty five KSh dey talxtation five point three seven four nine fifty five hundred eight hundred eighty two three talk go down fifty on eight and T phones and definitely give my dear friends at fast and Pro Roofing a call for all your roofing needs. Fastened pro Roofing. So Eric yesterday came in, dropped a little dolly off our grandpuppy and he was off to work looking at roofs and helping people out. And that's what he does for fast and Pro, does inspections and quotes, and he's an honest guy, just like everybody at Fastened Pro. They are honest professionals. And that's short supply sadly in the roofing business. But you've got not just the most honest roofers around, you've got the superior quality of the work they do. Any kind of roof they do it. I've seen those metal roots. I think those things look beautiful on homes. But you know, we've got a shingle roof and I had to have my roof replaced because of some severe hell damage. Thank you Fast and Pro Roofing for doing just such a wonderful job on that. Went ahead and got new gutters. The builder special gutters were really kind of skinny. They didn't do a very good job. So we got bigger gutters and we've got gutter guards. Of course, they'll install a gutter guard for you. It's the winter time. Of course, if you have an ice dam problem, maybe because you didn't get your gutters cleaned out before wintertime, they can help you out with that. They do skylights, and they do exterior projects like the siding work they did on my home absolutely beautiful. It all starts with a free honest inspection. There's nothing wrong up there. The Fast and Pro Roofing expert will come down from your roof and say there's nothing wrong up there, have a great day. Oh and by the way, your roof has about X number of years left life in it, so keep an eye on it, you know. Whatever, or if there's something wrong, you're going to get a free quote, and of course it is going to be a right price quote. So for all of your roofing needs, regardless of the type of roof, plus custom metal work and other exterior projects, I strongly encourage you to check out the beautiful nature of the work and the type of work they do by going to the website Fasten faste n Fastened Pro Roofing A plus with a Better roof aplus with the Better Business Bureau five one three seven seven four ninety four ninety five. That's seven seven four ninety four ninety.
Speaker 5: Five KRC dot com run a business and not thinking about radio.
Speaker 2: Got that one back?
Speaker 6: Huh let me miell.
Speaker 2: We'll call this Festivus California or Los Angeles Division, referring to Rand Paul's Festivus report on all the squandering of money. Democratic mayor Los Angeles Mayor Karen Bass getting slammed from a lot of people because she's last Los Angeles Fire Department budget by seventeen point six million Los Angeles fire departments and a couple of top goals for them diversity, equity, and inclusion as opposed to fire preparedness that's been widely reported, Bass claiming in a press conference just yesterday, none of the reductions would have been impacted situation that we're dealing with over the last couple of days, and then also having the audacity and nerve to add that the city is in tough budgetary times. I won't deny that I have no idea what the city's budget is, but I'm certain that they're in tough budgetary times. Homelessness and the illegal immigrant problem is really soaking up a lot of resources. Let's just use that as an illustration. It's happening, it's real. And yet Los Angeles allocated one hundred thousand dollars to the Civil plus Human Rights and Equity Department for what they call a midnight stroll transgender cafe that's in the twenty twenty four to twenty five budget. The purpose to support safe haven for unsheltered transgender individuals in Hollywood. See, they're breaking down the different types of homeless people. I'm homeless, I need help. Wait a second, hold on, are you transgender? No, I'm sorry, move over, getting a different line. These funds are for unsheltered transgender individuals in Hollywood. Are you from Hollywood? And are you Transgender? One hundred thousand dollars allocated to the NAACP Awards. Almost nine thousand dollars for quote one Institute, the International Gay and Lesbian Archives, According to the reporting here I found on town Hall one Archives at the University of Southern California Libraries currently has an exhibit get a load of this one you think shrimp on treadmills is bad? Quote Sci Fi, Magic, Queer, la sexual Science, and the Imagination Imagi dash Nation focusing on are You Ready? The occult and the LGBTQ Movement. Thirteen grand for the quote Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, and transgend Transgender Heritage Month pro plus fourteen thousand to the Gay Men's Chorus of Los Angeles. Thirteen grand apiece for the Los Angeles African American History Month, American Indian Heritage Month, Latino Heritage Month, and Asian American History Month programs. One hundred and seventy thousand dollars for quote Social Justice, art worker Investments and again. Los Angeles Fire Department blasted for promoting diversity equity inclusion initiatives in its twenty twenty three to twenty twenty six strategic plans, stating that DEI was one of its key goals, also stating a priority of the city's first LGBTQ and women Fire chief Kristin Crowley as promoting a culture that values DEI. Nothing in there about improving their fire response by twenty seven to fifty five ks. The talk stations around plenty more coming up got local stories rather hear from you though five one, three, seven, nine, fifty five hundred, eight hundred and eighty two to three talk. This is no pun, not a joke, but odor Exit works on smoke. It's one of the things that it works on. Maybe the folks that odor Exit will send a shipment out to Los Angeles od o r xit dot com. Odor Exit is the website that's where you can buy the product and have it shipped to your home. You order before three pm, it'll be delivered by tomorrow and it really does get rid of smoke. That's one of the things that's known for. So I always think of cigar smoke or that you know pesky still living in your basement, weed smoker because it works on that too, Believe it or not, food oders, mold, mildew, pet odors, you name it, it gets rid of. It comes with a one hundred percent satisfaction guarantee. Used as directed and for whatever reason you have a problem you don't think it's gotten rid of the odor, just call the toll free number for helpful hints on using the products. Been talking about how great they work for years and years, and trust me they do. They had to use them many times. Odor exsit dot com works on everything except the stench of politics.
Speaker 1: Fifty five KRC the talk station.
Speaker 7: I love them.
Speaker 2: Janna and I first one to weather forecasts. We have a wintereather advisor kicking in eleven this morning, lasting until tomorrow at seven am. Gotta be having a uh wel snow moving in. They say about eight am today floury's looked for two to four inches, maybe even as much as five possible. I have twenty eight I guess that's throughout the day. It'll end around eleven o'clock at snow overnight low of twenty. Roads will be covered. They say, mostly cloudy tomorrow with a high of twenty eight overnight down to twenty with partly cloudy skies and a thirty two high Sunday. It'll be dry and partly cloudy, twelve degrees. Right now. If you've got KCD talk station five thirty one, Joe Jessino, make sure you got Primus cut up. I just got to instant message from Jeff. He's really looking forward to what he said. It's been three weeks. You'll get that in the moment. Jeff as the five bump. Let's go to the phone. SEO, what March got this morning? Mark, Thanks for calling. Welcome to the Morning Show.
Speaker 8: Fine, right, you know these this situation in California. I've been watching what I can of it. The thing is people in California keep voting these clowns in and when you vote clowns into power, only, don't be surprised when you have a circus you know that is happening in front of the world, and then you have high profile people that are that are you know, scouting about it now, which is fine, but I mean you talk about incompetence all the way from Gavin Newsom to this mayor, and when you dig into her background evidently she's you know, goes to Cuba on a regular basis. And also this infatuation on the l with this whole gay and transgender thing. I just don't get it, don't understand it, and I think I have a pretty good theory on why they may be doing it. But there's a there's a documentary out there called Out of the Shadows dot org if you can find it that goes into the whole relationship of Hollywood with with the government and the occult and all kinds of things. And then there was another one that was called like I think follow the Water or something like that. But you know, and I don't. I can't speak to the validity of all of it, but man, it sure does make you think. And it's just this infatuation with this DEI and I think it's starting to turn the corner and go the other way. But what a joke, I mean. And again, but these people keep voting clowns into office. And it's not just in California, it's in every major city in the United States, and Cincinnati included that. Yeah, yeah, so you know, you get what you you get the government that you vote for. And and and until people start standing up in the smaller communities and the smaller cities and saying enough is enough. The same thing that is happening in California right now with fires. And I'm going to be speaking a little bit out of turn, but we used to do a lot of riding down to Daniel Boone National Forest and there was a tornado that it went down through there several years ago and it was to a point where you couldn't even ride dirt bikes through most of the forest because it was so torn up. And Daniel Boone National Forests now they may have done work since, and so that's what I said. Maybe I'm speaking out of turn, but we were, we were, and they were closing down a lot of the trails and now it is it's completely closed down the off road riding. And we were saying that it's just a matter of time before Daniel Boone National Forest lights off. And we saw a little bit about it in Gatlinburgh.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the fireworks started that out.
Speaker 8: Just California. Yeah, but it's not just California. And but you're exactly right. This lack of forestry management, a lot of this, I'm not gonna say it could have been completely prevented, but it could have been maybe contained contained exactly.
Speaker 2: That's the point of putting in fire breaks, that's the point of regularly maintaining and cleaning out the brush that's well just basically a source of immediate combustion. I mean, that's how you start a fire. You start with tinder and then you start adding the big logs. And it was just basically and acres after acre after miles square miles of tender easily ignitable because they haven't had much rain. And like they said, go ahead, believe that it's a human caused climate change, but that doesn't mean you're not supposed to do something about it in the meantime while you're trying to take carbon out of the atmosphere. Ah, appreciate it. Mark, you have a wonderful weekend. My friend, Pete, hang on, I get your call right out of the gate. I want to make try to stay on time. And I want to tell people at form In Exchange it's a great place to take your car. The Hondas there. It's going to be picked up today. Quite a few things wrong with the Honda. Welcome to car ownership. Jerry my Son's a Christmas gift was the one hundred and fifty thousand mile mileage onto CRV which is at Foreign Exchange. Had some weird sounds and noises and it needed it one hundred and fifty thousand mile checkup. And they're doing it all, going to get that thing road worthy. And he will not pay as much as if he took it over to the Honda dealership, that's for certain. That's what it's all about. Foreign Exchange. You get a full Warran chain, parts and service on the work they do, but you won't pay as much as the dealer, saving you money. And it's always important to save money, and these trying financial times even more so. Westchester location is where the Honda is right now. That's Tylersville exit off of I seventy five, go east two streets and hanging right on Kingland Drive and you're right there. Online you find them at foreign ax. Form the letter x dot com. Sowe you have a traditionally European or Asian manufactured automobile of any make, including Tesla's now a service Tesla, get it on into four in exchange. Don't pay the dealer cost to fix the car fourgnax dot com the no pun umber please tell the crew. Brian said, hi, when you call up their se Certified Master Technicians five one three six four four twenty six twenty six five one three six four four twenty six twenty six.
Speaker 1: Fifty five KRC.
Speaker 2: Winter Weather Advisory in effect beginning of eleven this morning and lasting until tomorrow morning at seven am, says Channel nine All. They also say snow will start moving into the area about eight am, and we'll look for between two and four inches some places, maybe as much as five. High of twenty eight, overnight low at twenty watch the snow on the roads snows. They say we'll end around eleven PM this evening, mostly cloudy tomorrow with the high of twenty eight, partly cloudy over night down to twenty and a partly cloudy Sunday with a high of thirty two eleven degrees. Right now fifty five per City Talk station.
Speaker 9: Traffic time from the UCUP Traffic Center UC WAITFAUT Center offers comprehensive obesity Karen Advanced Surgical Expertise five one three nine to June sixty three. That's nine three nine twenty two sixty three. Highway traffic's doing fine early on this Friday morning, no major problems to deal with from any new weather issues to deal with. Northbound seventy five at northbound fourth seventy one, both wide open on the bridges. Chuck Ingram on fifty five KR Seed the Talk.
Speaker 10: Station, Can you play John the Fisherman.
Speaker 2: You just made Jeff a very happy man, Judge Drecker, it's been three weeks. He like you. Joe needs a Primus Fix. Well, I know it's readily available on Spotify and elsewhere. He probably owns his own copy. On finale two three though, before we get to the eastack oast it what Pete's got? Pete, thanks for holding over the very Happy Friday.
Speaker 3: Thanks Brian.
Speaker 11: I saw a news clip like the people trying to evacuate they got into big like traffic jams and then we're getting smoked out, and so they abandoned their cars and then they brought.
Speaker 8: In bulldozers and they were literally bulldozing the cars off the roads so that fire trucks are getting through.
Speaker 7: That was just unbelievable.
Speaker 2: Well, and what else do you do? I mean, if you're stuck in a traffic jam that is not moving and the fire is coming up to you, toward you, you need to save your life, so you get out of your car and you run for the ocean, which is what so many of those poor, those poor people had to do, leaving, of course, the responders to have the bulldoze. I mean, don't ever park in front of a fire hydrant because if there's a fire in the area that requires that hydrant, trust me, the UH firefighters will do everything they can to literally destroy your car by not smashing the windows out, running hoses through them and everything. I don't think that's you know, I think it's designed to teach a lesson generally speaking, don't park in front of a fire hydrant. But in times like this, life is far more important than moving your car out of the way. And I doubt those books had really any place that they could put their cars. So yeah, all right, it was just an absolute panic. Listen. I had a dear friend that was stuck in that fire that was just mentioned in the last segment and Gatlinburg. He was staying in one of the chalets. The fire was coming up the hills, they got surrounded. He had to drive out, could not see more than a foot in front of his car. And if you've ever seen those windy narrow roads that are are in and around the Gatlinburg area. It's scary enough to drive on them when the weather's fine. He is surrounded by fire. He was so hot in his car he could barely stand it. He was able to get out, Thank God. He's just such a great guy. But he and his wife literally thought they were going to die that close to death. And so I forgive those people all day long for abanning their cars in the street and saving their lives. Let's see, here we go to the stack of stupid. Apparently, if you're strolling downtown this week, we're in let us see we can't figure out downtown Boston happened to spot four very large and very naked pink guys awkwardly wedged between buildings, climbing trees or climbing on rooftops. Don't worry, it wasn't a drug induce hallucination. The display the latest brain shout of Winter Active, the art initiative previously brought you last year's viral and described as creepy clown heads known for their bold and unconventional approach to public art, Winter Active is back to inject a little weirdness in whimsy into Boston's notoriously bleak winter months. Their mission to get us all outside reminded the winner just doesn't have to be gray skies and icy sidewalks, And, as the reporter notes, who wouldn't want to stop and snap a selfie with a giant pink guy casually perched on a ledge. This year's exhibit, probably funded by the Boston taxpayers, features fifteen artworks and interactive play elements scattered throughout the city. Officially kicking off the fifteenth w interactive clearly loves a good surprise. The playful pink naked guys blow up dolls started showing up and they'll be on display until March thirtieth. I guarantee you there are taxpayer dollars related to that. And since it's Friday, let's get one naked story in here before we take a break. We got a tradition in Polk County, North Carolina, where a man was found naked before his arrest in the home of a child he met on social media. R Andrew Murray, District Attorney for Henderson, Polk and Transylvania Counties, announced that Jesse Bernard Floyd, twenty four pleaded guilty to a list of charges sentence Monday. According to investigation of court trial records, he met and befriended the child on the social media website Sniffies and started soliciting the child for nude pictures and sex. After building an online report, Floyd able to convince the child to follow Floyd to come to the child's home in Pole County. He became The child became nervous about the meeting and told a family member Floyd, found naked in the home of the child, was attempting to carry out a sexual act with a child before being arrested. Pleaded guilty to attempted statutory sexual offense with a child fifteen years or younger, taking indecent liberties with a child, and soliciting a child by computer, disseminating obscenities to a minor under the age of sixteen period five point fifty one fifty by Kersbecaux Station. We do get a little more leeway in terms of content five o'clock hour and while I will not read the entire article. Pro tip if you're getting an MRI, make sure you don't have a sex toy in your rectum. As described in the Daily Mail, patients suffered horrific injuries after leaving. The sex toy insorted into her rectum during a medical procedure, was inside the patient's back passage during a routine MRI scan. Why are you doing that? No idea resulting in a hazardous reaction between the powerful magnets in the MRI and the metal parts inside the toy. Post from social media detail how the powerful magnetic forces used in the MRI detail scans pulled the metallic core of the silicone toy through the patient's rectum and up into her chest cavity. Patient apparently believe the sex toy was one in silicone, but it wasn't It had a metal core. But then again, why are you doing that? Whether or not you believe that to be a good idea in the first instance, don't you think just as a matter of well common sense, you might want to take it out before getting an MRI, which most assuredly would reveal whatever it is you've thought was a rise idea to insert inside you?
Speaker 12: Now, who can argue with that?
Speaker 2: Good? A bat Louisiana woman at the Mall of Louisiana rang in the New y Air naked video posted on x shows the woman jogging through the main corridor of the mall fully nude, while bystanders. Of course, we're turning to stare and take a bunch of pictures. Cord to the Bad News Police, the incident happened January third, about one pm. An officer was working a special assignment at the mall reported that the mall secure initially notified about the woman running through the mall partially undressed, with later updates confirming no she was fully nude. Women eventually found inside Dillard's and detained by mall security. Courton Local is They believe the woman could have been under the influence of narcotics at the time. Really, New Hampshire, Gary, thanks for calling this morning. You're interrupting the naked people in the stack and stupid New Amster Gary, welcome back. That's okay.
Speaker 3: I I feel like we really live in a clown world.
Speaker 8: We really do.
Speaker 7: You know?
Speaker 2: Well, I let me assure you. I guarantee you as sure as I'm sitting here. The only reason we feel like, you know that the world is really coming on glued with all this kind of stories and the craziness is because as we have the Internet, which immediately brings the most bizarre stories that may have been locally reported back in the day we had local newspapers, but brings us to the full attention of the entire world because everybody and his brother will repost and bring it to our attention because it's so batcrap insane.
Speaker 3: You know what, fact, Brian, I'm so much. I feel so important.
Speaker 2: Oh my goodness, you get ready for an MRI today, are you? Gary?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'll be sure to take care of myself before I go. Oh my goodness, thank god, it's Friday, right exactly. Oh gee, hey, I can probably get a discount down there in so Samati. You got your m I place down there? Oh yeah, yeah, yeah, the good plug for them.
Speaker 2: Plug a plug crazy. I'm surprised Joe let that one slide. He was such a slow moving soft right on in right okay, dgis. Oh my goodness, are you done?
Speaker 3: I can't. I can't help but to think of this uff. I've been watching this agenda free guy. He's kind of a geek, but he's really good at covering this on YouTube and he actually put broadcastify with uh the.
Speaker 2: He's a newscast or.
Speaker 3: He's kind of geeky, but he really has it and they have a chat with it, and it's kind of like a news source and you're just watching non filtered. It's called non Agenda, and it's on YouTube, and you kind of get an idea of what really is going on the magnitude of how serious this is. But I was just watching an article apparently a they're getting people who are starting now I saw a couple of them that have been caught with torches in their hands. Yeah, and they look like they're homeless people or they're not really well off, and they're going to these neighborhoods and they're torching them up. Yeah, and they got a couple of those on YouTube.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's a report in New York Posts among others, as it's widely reported. We got one taken a homeless person taken to custody in Los Angeles for starting a fire. So it was the Kenneth fire that was started by this particular homeless individual. And there's other videos circulating as well that I've seen. And again, you know, if you want to do massive damage and you are one of these type of people, And that go back to my conversation with the guy from Breitbart earlier in the week about these lone individuals. You know, it could be an active, intentional terrorism done by a person who just absolutely hates you know the fact that everybody in Pacific Palisades lives in a three and a half plus million dollar home, and oh, look around you. There's enough kindling to immediately start the whole place on fire. All you need is a pack of matches that could be behind any one of these fires. But we do have reports of arrests for people intentionally starting fires. So crazy world. That's why you need to take precautionary measures. The world's an imperfect place and it's filled with a bunch of crazy people. Coming up at five fifty eight fifty five car CD talk station, We've got more to talk about, plus Tech Friday coming up at.
Speaker 5: Six thirty counting down, let go as we welcome back President Trump.
Speaker 8: For the next four years are just gonna be incredible.
Speaker 1: Fifty five card talk.
Speaker 7: Station insurance sold by Smart Funny Insurance Services.
Speaker 1: Your morning news gets me ready for the day and all day involved and check in throughout the day. Fifty five krs the talk station six.
Speaker 2: A five fifty five KRCD talk station very Happy Friday to you always great Picky on the R to be around fifty five Parosey Morning Show Fridays at six thirty you could hear from Dave Hatter Tech Friday, Dave Fredder from Interest I T Today they fired the fact checking group that worked for Zuckerberg's Facebook, Meta got rid of them for political bias. FBI. Apparently China has access to US government devices and networks, and phishing attacks doubled in twenty twenty four. Those are the topics with Dave at the bottom of the hour five one, three, seven, two three talk found five fifty on ET and T phones. We also have Todd Zinzer and studio our watchdog of city council and the county commissioners talking about a whole bunch of topics dealing with the city and the county, Keegan Corkor and our wine expert. Why dry January hurts the hospitality and retail business. Apparently that social media post caused a bit of a stir on social media and Rebecca Cerndorf at eight thirty, Ohioan's for Child Protection Divine signed it into law, and we'll talk about what that means for the state of Ohio. And children, meanwhile tapping into the expertise to the editorial board of the Wall Street Journal and just summing up the stupidity of government. Now I already pointed out, you know, all these folks screaming about global warming, and if it wasn't for global warming or climate change, those fires would not be raging in California. If you believe that I got a bridge, I want to say it, but it reveals prioritization, prioritizing all these woke green policies for something that may or probably won't happen one hundred years down the road, spending countless billions of dollars on that, but not paying attention real time to real problems that could result in catastrophes, like the catastrophe that's literally going on before our very eyes out in California right now. Nobody cleaned it up, Nobody put fire breaks in, Nobody anticipated needing like water pressure. Oh my god, what happens if we have a fire. Well, we got smelt to worry about. So hey. Public officials are supposed to be prioritizing and doing the right thing and anticipating real time, real life challenges that exist right now now, pivoting over along those same lines to what California has done to itself in so far as insurance is concerned. Journal op ed board California wildfire insurance catastrophe. The state has refused to let insurers do proper pricing for risk. Homeowners and taxpayers will pay for the mistake. I'd say right, the politicians are blaming each other for the losses and the horrific Los Angeles wildfires, but the truth is that Mother Nature can be merciless. The stories about water shortages are conflicting any more time to sort out, but it's not too soon to note that California's politicians have fueled a five alarm insurance market crisis that will hurt homeowners and taxpayers across the state once the fires have died out. Hurricane Force Win US fanning the fires across Los Angeles County, especially Pacific Palisades and Alta Dina, where two thousand structures to burn by Thursday evening. Actually it's more than that. Ten people now reportedly are dead. Tens of thousands of buildings remain at risk. California's Southland has rarely experienced such strong winds in the past two wet winners produced loads of combustible vegetation that became tender after the recent dry months. See you had great weather causing growth, followed by dry weather, which creates tinder. Such conditions have created a perfect storm that could become the most expensive wildfire disaster in US history. The human tragedy is paramount, but the insurance losses will be in the tens of billions of dollars or more. The damage could topple the states under capitalized insurer of last resort. It's called fair fai R. The again the insurer of last resort. Private carriers are almost certain to increase premiums, canceled policies, or withdrawal from the entire state of California, insurers that already scrapped hundreds of thousands of policies in limited coverage of wildfire prone areas. Democrats blame climate change, which has become an all purpose excuse for any disaster relief failure. But the real insurance problem is that the state regulators have barred insurers from charging premiums that fully reflect risks and costs. California is the only state that heretofore hasn't allowed insurers to incorporate the cost of reinsurance in premiums until this year. It has also prohibited insurers from adjusting premiums by using the standard injury industry practice of catastrophe modeling to protict the property's future risk. Insurers can only assess premiums based on historical losses. Consequently, insurers are paying out one dollar and nine cents in expenses and claims for every dollar they collect in premiums. Stay in the obvious. The journal notes this is financially unsustainable, which is why many have paired coverage in areas at high fire risk with expensive home State Farm dropped nearly seventy percent of policyholders in one Pacific Palisades neighborhood where the average hump price is three and a half million dollars. You see, let me just pause on that note, and this is where a lot of these celebrities live Pacific or lived past tense. You're going to have to be a person of means to afford a three and a half million dollar house. Average price is three and a half million, and they obviously there's a one some in there that just go way higher than that. I would imagine they probably could handle a really healthy, fat insurance premium. If State Farm jacked up the rates by you know, two hundred percent or something to deal with the risk that is associated with insuring a home in that area. Something tells me the folks in Pacific policy probably could have handled the insurance premium, but because of the rules and REGs in California, State Farm said, you know, let's screw it, we're out, We're leaving, We're done, dropping seventy percent of the policyholders there. Bye, So this insurer in the state of California of last resort, Fair now covers about half a million homeowners who can't obtain private coverage. Now here's where the rubber meets the road, folks on elected officials that are failing to do their job. Fair's exposure has now ballooned to four hundred and fifty eight to billion dollars as of last September, up from one hundred and fifty three billion dollars four years earlier, with five point nine billion dollars exposure in this one Pacific Palisades area. All right, a lot of numbers there. Total insurance exposure four fifty eight one neighborhood five point nine billion in exposure. Are you ready? It has only seven hundred million dollars cash on hand to pay claims. Reminds me of underfunded pension programs for example. Why it's because state regulators have required Fare to cover higher priced homes while rejecting its proposals for rate increases to account for rising risk and liabilities, just like it has for private insurers. This home prices of construction costs increase to the liabilities. Building a quote unquote affordable housing unit in California can cost one million dollars. Last year, Fair president Victoria Roach testified to the state Assembly about the insurer's precarious finances, saying, quote, as those numbers climb, our financial stability becomes more in question. We are one event away from a large assessment. There is no other way to state it, because we don't have the money on hand, and we have a lot of exposure out there. If Fair fails, private insurers meaning their policyholders, are supposed to cover its claims based on their share of the market, but insurance premiums for many homeowners are setirized twenty to forty percent this year and even more in the future, and that was before the current fires to keep carriers from fleeing the market. California Insurance Commissioner Ricardo Laura last month said it long last that they could use catastrophe modeling and pricing in their reinsurance costs well thanks a lot such reforms were needed, but he also imposed costly regulations that may still cause some insurers to retreat, especially after the Los Angeles fires. Don't be surprised if Governor Gavin Newsom asked Washington, meaning you to pay for multimillion dollar homes that have gone up in smoke. Mister Newsom can blame climate change all he wants, but that does not absolve the state from the duty to adapt to its effects. If he really believes this. Unlike fires, California insurance catastrophe really is the fault of the Democrats who run Sacramento six point fifteen fifty five kr C detalk station. The incompetence is just impossible to comprehend. John ryano'ld be happy to help you with a kitchen remodeling project. John is Prestige Interiors. It's his company. He's the man you'll be working with, and you'll be very pleased about that. I always like to point out He's just a pleasant man to work with, mild mannered, and he's got I had brilliant ideas. He's been remodeling kitchens almost exclusively for more than thirty years, and he did ours. We love what he did for us. Started from scratch, got to the whole thing, threw it all out and began anew and he had great ideas. We incorporated many of them into our project and we've been just extraordinarily happy with the work that he's done and how our kitchen functions and flows compared to the way it used to be. You've been thinking about kitchen and modeling, maybe twenty twenty five is a year to do it. Get in touch in the May plus the Better Business Bureau. He's there with you from initial design to final installation, whether you've got a small project in mind, like cabinets and countertops, or you want to do what we did and just start from scratch. Just great guy. Great Idea has done some beautiful work over the years. Some of what you can see on his website, which is pressed ege one two to three dot com. That's pressed one two three dot com. Give him a call. Tom Bryan said, Hi five one three two four seven zero two two nine five one three two four seven zero two two.
Speaker 1: Nine fifty five KRC, fifty.
Speaker 2: Five KRC the talk station. We've got some great plans for the weekends. Happy it's Friday, David. That's all mighty five one three seven two three talk of over fifty five KRC dot com. Get your I Heart media a stream the audio there. It's really good for the show overall. Thank you to everybody who streams too. Got some outstanding streaming numbers here for the fifty five fifty five cars Morning Show. And really important, uh Jay Ratliffe, our aviation expert, yesterday, how to get involved with Americans for Prosperta this year. The Buckeye Blueprint, some great stuff they've got planned for Ohio Taxpayer Protection Alliance. Dave Williams is on yesterday looking out for your tax dollars. All those podcasts at fifty five KRC dot com. Over the phones, I go, Bill, Welcome to the show, and happy Friday to you, sir.
Speaker 13: Hey, good morning there, Brian. I agree with what you're saying, because see, I have family that lives out there and.
Speaker 8: Friends, and sometime.
Speaker 13: You know, I feel for them, but sometime they just don't get it. They'll build, they build these beautiful houses and they won't even clear out like twenty fifty yards around them. They'll build and all this front. I mean if they build right in the middle of you know, a timber box and you try to say, hey man, you got you you should clear to see I'm not in Kentucky. Kentucky and Ohio. We clear out things because we know OF's coming. They'll pole right beautiful houses and I like I said, I love them, but I mean they just have a different mindset. They just don't get it.
Speaker 8: And they're supposed to be these.
Speaker 13: Natural people, natural but they won't clear around their stuff and they put in the most stupidest, with all due respect, stupid people like that lady was on there this morning, that one in California. Man, she she talk in the circle with doll do respect. They bring it on themselves. I mean, look at the people they put in there. They don't clear out around and you know they want to save the planet, but not clearing around. But I mean, they just got a different mindset with doll do respect.
Speaker 8: I love them, they just don't think.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I couldn't agree more. And again, you know they they want if they want to fight the existential crisis they believe global climate change is, but they're not dealing with the current realities of it. Like I said, concede the point. It's dry in California in spite of the fact they had a really wet couple of winters preceding this one. We're going to ignore that. But it's been dry for the last year. Oh my god, climate change is refault. We didn't get any rain for one year on the heels of two years worth of a lot with a lot of rain. Again, ignore that, and then they won't deal with the reality created by that right now, which is your house is built next to a giant matchbox. It's just fine. But you know what, let's pivot over. My parents used to have a condo in Naples, Florida. Now it was Inland. It was a condominium, second story in a three story building. It had been through a couple of hurricanes, you know, relatively unscathed. But in the final analysis, there are people who build multi, multi million dollar homes where right there on the beach, and they get hurricanes there, and the hurricanes wipe out multi multi billion dollar homes. Those little strips of of of of a barrier islands out there like that we saw devastated by the most recent hurricane. I mean, do you think it's prudent or smart to invest that much money in a home when literally even a low level hurricane is going to be washing waves up across it because well, the elevation of the little barrier island is only about three feet above sea level. Does that sound like a smart place to construct a home? I mean, back when New Orleans got hit by the hurricane, I mean, lord, how amighty hell hell broke loose on that? I made a point a bunch of times. You know, who's the guy with the bright idea to build a city that's below sea level right there where they get hurricanes? And they have historically because well, hurricanes have been happening. I guess as long as the globe's been spinning, Oh, it's never going to happen to me. Well, that's why insurance companies should be allowed to price the cost of insurance based upon the risk presented. Let's see, might there be a flooding risk when you're a city is below sea level? Check? Is your city in a hurricane zone? Check? You know what your a flood insurance and your hurricane insurance is going to cost an arm and a blankened leg because you insist on living in an area that could be completely devastated by something that occurs in nature fairly regularly and always has six twenty five afty five KRC detalk station. And I know these people have stafte some place to live. I'm not saying Pacific policies should never have been built, but I'm saying the officials that run the show out there should have taken broader steps and measures to done something along the lines of protecting their people. Hell, they've had wildfires started because well the power company wasn't bothering to keep up and maintain its power lines. We learned a lot about that.
Speaker 9: Hmm.
Speaker 2: Could power lines start a fire? Maybe, uh yeah, lightning too. You might want to take that into consideration. Six twenty five ifty five krcit DE talk station twenty two to three, about four between Mason and eleven. And love that gun store. Love the folks there so much. They're just wonderful, wonderful people. So if you have a firearm and you want to master the use of that firearm, new shooters, check out the pistol excuse me, first shots course at twenty two three. You can gain the confidence and walk away with a target that you're proud of. After that class, say see what I did. Look at my grouping. If you don't have a gun yet, obviously that's no problem. At twenty two three, let them help you figure out what works best for you. They have a huge selection, and they're experts out there, and they're so friendly. So I got my Christmas present, called up Wendy and had her order it up. It only took a day to get in. Let twenty two three help you figure out what works for you. If you're an experience shooter, great, come on in and shoot a twenty two three's tactical every day carry shooting series courses or take a tactical rifle course. Check out the amazing instructors and all the friendly staff again twenty two three on round forty two between Mason eleven and learn more online. It's twenty two three. The number twenty two followed by the word three spelled out twenty two to three dot com.
Speaker 1: Fifty five KRC your morning espresso.
Speaker 2: Start excuse me, Roger my throat this morning. It's a five kr CE de talk station anniversary of David Bowie's death twenty sixteen, and a shout out to Rob Carpenter, who formerly worked here in the news department, now at the Butler County Sheriff's Department recovering from surgery. Rob. We're thinking about you. You're in our prayers and hope to see down on the bowling alley as soon as possible. Fortunately, I understand it wasn't your bowling arm that was injured, but Joe Strecker passed along your situation, so on behalf of the KRSE listening audience, Joe Strecker and myself. I wish you speedy recovery. Over to the phones, we got Dave Hatter Tech Friday's Dave Hatter, Welcome back, at least for me. I'm not sure if you were on while I was off, because Dave I was sleeping. I assure you I was sleeping at the time of this segment. But happy twenty twenty five to you, and happy New Year. And thank you as always to your company, intrust it Online at interest dot com for handling all of the business's computer problems in the greater Cincinnati area. And you're the best at least record of the Business Courier, and I know you're just a terrific and highly qualified guy and I love having you on this show each and every week.
Speaker 7: So welcome back, well, Brian, Happy new Year to you and all your listeners. I'm glad to be here and glad you're back, and looking forward to hopefully another good year of crazy tech topics.
Speaker 2: You know that's going to be crazy tech topics. Oh yeah, all right, as I try to clear my throat, looks like Mark Zuckerberg has well found Jesus or something. He fired his so called fact checkers, and I thought it was a big, mean, like a comedic fun fest that the fact checkers fact checked themselves and said they weren't biased, And that's been kind of going around as a side splitting response for being fired. But leads is the name of this entity, and they were I guess subcontractors to to well take delete posts that you and I would put up online.
Speaker 7: Yeah, it's been interesting to watch this play out. It was kind of surprising to me when this news broke and the reaction to it has definitely been interesting, kind of from the Truth is Strangers in Fiction department, I mean, you know, ten years ago, we probably both would have laughed if we would have thought, hey, this kind of thing would happen in the first place, and then b we'd be talking about the reaction when it gets pulled out. You know, the community notes feature, because from what I've seen from Zuckerberg, he's basically indicated that they're going to switch on meta platforms Facebook, Instagram, WhatsApp, et cetera to more of an approach like ex uses right x slash Twitter. They have this community approach feature or community notes feature, where if somebody questions something, you know, you'll get a community note and in many cases, like Musk himself, will ask is this true community news? And you know you'll get a response. And the way it works over there is there's, you know, a group of people, people from each side, and then the consensus of that becomes the community more or less. It's a little more complicated than that, but you know, it basically provides a way to question the validity of something without necessarily taking it down right, And Musk has gotten community notes himself a couple of times, so it's interesting the way it works. I think it works pretty well, and from what I've seen from Zuckerberg. That's the approach they're going to take here, which has apparently made a lot of people who apparently appreciated the censorship very unhappy. I've seen some inside Baseball notes. I mean, who knows what's really true, Brian that you know now there's like chaos inside Meta because people are really unhappy about this change in direction. So, you know, I'm not a fan of Meta to begin with. I think it's definitely a step in the right direction, assuming they do it the way that X does it. But I guess we'll see what happens.
Speaker 8: Well.
Speaker 2: I guess my question is, what are they afraid of?
Speaker 7: A good question? You know, the whole idea of community notes again, as I understand it anyway, I mean, I only know what I've read about it and seen the way it's worked real time on X. I like X. I'm a fan of X. I think X is probably the best place to go to get information quickly and to get what I would describe is more accurate information, simply because of the community notes feature and the fact that people can challenge things and you have, you know, folks who can then weigh in on it. So I'm a huge fan of X, especially for anything technology and cybersecurity related. It's by far the best place to go to get information quickly and know that you've got this community notes capability to provide some legitimacity good for lack of a better description, So yeah, balance that and legitimacy again, because people can say whatever crazy thing they want, and then you will have people say, well, no, that's it's not right. You know, here's the community note on why that's not the case.
Speaker 2: So it's like a footnote, like citing a reference source. So if I post something random without any citation, someone on community notes can say, no, you're wrong, and here is the learned treatise which points out all the reasons you're wrong. Here's a link that kind of thing.
Speaker 7: Yeah, exactly. So, so I applaud Zuckerberg for moving in this direction. I think it's the right direction. I think it's interesting because of the rivalry between Musk and Zuckerberg. If you remember, at one point they were talking about having some sort of MMA fight. Yeah, I think it's really interesting that. You know, Zuckerberg actually when he announced this, said that, you know, this approach is going to be more like X, so you know, it remains to be seen. I haven't noticed any different, you know, with all these snow emergencies and so forth. I've been spent a lot of time on Facebook here lately. I haven't seen any difference in the way it behaves currently. Now, maybe that's just because no one I know has gotten a community note or whatever they're going to call it on Facebook. I don't. I don't recall him giving it a title like that, right, So we'll see. But I think it's a step in the right direction and a positive move, assuming they actually do what they said they're going to do.
Speaker 2: But I won't forgive him for working with the Department of Justice to censor our communications and incorporate them and bring them into the physical structure of the building in order to tell people what is and what canon cannot be seen. He's not worthy of forgiveness for that, even though he has seen the light. Let's continue with Dave hat or Interest I dot Coms where you find Dave and the crew and Calling Electriccincinnati dot Coms where you find Colin Electric Andrew Cullen. Awesome team of electricians. It's family owned and operated since nineteen ninety nine. They enjoy an A plus the Better Business Bureau. I've seen him in action multiple times at my house doing all kinds of electric work, and they always do terrific work and really are just very customers a customer focus. Will take great care reveal the respectful of your home, and they'll be clean and clean up after themselves. And they do wonderful electric work from the smallest project to the biggest, including rewiring your whole home, maybe getting the whole home generator installed like they did for me. Uh tenure wiring, warranty on everything they do for you. Count on the experts at Culin to reach them. Schedule apployment. It's five one three two two seven four one one two five one three two two seven four one one two online again Cullen c U L L E N Colenelectriccincinnati dot Com.
Speaker 1: Fifty five KRC.
Speaker 8: I love it.
Speaker 2: Join the millions already on that winter rather advisory kicks it at eleven last until tomorrow morning at seven am. That's because snow's moving in should start around eleven AM, maybe two to four inches, perhaps five. I have twenty eight today snow and they sang around eleven PM tonight. Roads be covered careful twenty for the overnight low twenty eight with clouds tomorrow overnight twenty with clouds and apartment five is Sunday and a high of thirty two sixteen degrees.
Speaker 9: Right now traffic time from the UCLP Tramphics Center. You see Health Weight Bass Center offers comprehensive Obesitycaren advanced sergic o expertise called five one three nine nine two two sixty three. That's nine nine twenty two sixty three. Highways are doing just fine this morning and I'm not seeing any major time delays. To deal with a lot of folks with the day off and expecting some heavier snow and problems this afternoon. Right now, the heaviest is southbound two seventy five approaching the Carroll Proper Bridge. Chuck Ingram on.
Speaker 2: Fifty five K.
Speaker 9: See the talk station.
Speaker 2: It's a corny ifig you about GARCD talk station. If you've got a business, you've got computers, you've got problems on your hands. Man to keep you out of those troubles, our guest every Friday for the half hour Tech Friday's Day of Hatter with intrust it dot com day moving over. Maybe we need interest I its help with our government computers because the Chinese hackers have been hard at work. What's this one about? I saw this alert from the FBI. This is frightening stuff day.
Speaker 7: It really is, Brian, because when you look at the big picture, right, take the hacking out of it for a second. I mean, if you're paying the attention to the news at all, almost everywhere you look there's some sort of potential or active conflict with the Chinese Communist Party. You know, there have been stories about Chinese ships dragging their anchors and ripping up the undersea cables that power the Internet yep, you know, increasingly critical in our interconnected world. There have been stories about the Chinese Coastguard and navy, you know, interfering with ships and around Taiwan, we've seen, you know, all kinds of complaints and concerns about Chinese apps like TikTok or Temu collecting your data, and so anywhere you look there's friction with the Chinese Communist Party. Again, I hate this. You know, the people of China are great. The government is a problem. It's increasingly adversarial to us. We continue to use their apps and buy their products, which which funds their ability to take these adversarial positions with us, and then you know, it's probably been almost two months since this story force broke that Chinese hackers had broken into various telecom companies and their networks. And as the story unfolds, you know, and this is this is almost always the case anytime you hear about some sort of breach or hack like this, usually over time, as more forensics are done, it's much worse than whatever was intentionally and originally reported. And as we've seen here now apparently there's at least nine big telecom companies, people like Verizon, AT and t et cetera, that have had some type of hacker infiltration into their networks. I think this was probably right around the time you went on break. It might have been Kevin I talked to about this. It's ironic because for a long time, you may recall, Brian, we've talked about it many times over the years, the FBI and other law enforcement agencies have been against end to end encryption because it makes it difficult, if not in possible, for them to get into people's stuff.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 7: Well, as a result of this hacking that again continues to be revealed apparently in worse and worse ways. You know, now they've come out, the FBI has encouraged people to use the end to end encryption. End to end encryption would be an app like Signal where at no point, you know, if I can get your device and unlock it, I could read your messages. But if I can't unlock your device, Signal doesn't have the key to unencrypt the data. Only the person at the other end would. So you know, that's the idea of end to end encryption. The data is encrypted all the way through the channels, all the way to both ends, only the authorized people that have the right keys can decrypt it. That's kind of a layman's explanation. So when you see them telling everyone that they should stop using unencrypted apps and they should only use encrypted apps, despite they're raising all kinds of cane about not being able to access this data when they have, you know, legitimate criminal activity they want to investigate. That should be a real wake up call to people. And you know, as best I can tell from all the reporting, there's no guarantee they've even gotten these people out of all these things. And they think about this for a second, Brian, you know, everything is digital Everything you do is online, you know, whether it's a phone call, a text, an email, your social media, whatever. You know, it's all going through these networks. So if it's not into end encrypted in theory they have, they could have, and possibly are still sucking up everything that's not encrypted. It's it's bad not to mention. You know that the data is one aspect of it. The other aspect is do they have persistent footholds in these networks that they could shut down if they wanted to? And then think of the chaos that was to think of what happened with CrowdStrike. Now, imagine if you could shut down basically everything because the networks that make it work go down.
Speaker 2: I trust me, I have you through my in my mind gone through the ripple effect horrors of something like that. And you know the idea that the Chinese Communist Party at any given moment could flip a switch and turn the power off or stop the water flowing, which is certainly a genuine possibility under these circumstances, it's the scenarios are nightmarish.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I know this probably sounds far fetched to a lot of people, especially if you haven't paid any attention to the story. But I mean what you just described is absolutely well within possibilities. Yes, I'm not saying it's going to happen. I certainly hope it does not happen. But because everything is interconnected, because everything is digital, you know, at least you could cause some serious supply chain disruptions if you were able to knock all of this out for any significant period of time. And you know when you really dig into this, So here you go. Now it appears the issue is more widespread than first thought. The Wall Street General reporting to the group the group soll Typhoon. I don't know where they come up with these crazy names for these nation state hackers. The salt Typhoon may have had access for quote months or longer. And again you've got our government now telling you that you should use into end encryption. That Wall Street Journal goes on to say, quote Internet traffic from Internet service providers that account business is large and small, and millions of Americans of their customers may have had data harvested by this attack. And again I'm very concerned about that they could steal trade secrets. Who knows what they would know, what they could use for blackmail, etc. But the idea that they could still be in there and have some sort of you know, to your point switch they could flip that would shut one or more of these major telecom networks down. It could be a real catastrophe. So it's long past time, Brian, for us in this country, every person, every agency to get really serious about this, because we're no longer just worried about Okay, well you crash my computer and I lost my photos. Everything is interconnected, you know. Critical systems rely on other systems downstream, and while your critical system might be perfectly secure, some downstream system that goes down may bring down the critical system. So we've got we've just got to take this seriously, and people have got to start thinking about things like privacy and security and how can I, as you know, can I use an individual stop this? No, you can't, but can use an individual start making yourself more secure, doing a better job of maintaining your privacy, which ultimately impact this all positively. Yes, and we've got to get serious about this before something terrible happens.
Speaker 2: One of the reasons I have you on the program. If you say it enough day, people may finally start listening to you. Pause from them we'll bring it back and talk about phishing attacks which have increased dramatically shocking No. One six point forty eight. Right now at your bib KST talk station Emery Federal Credit Union, you're gonna earn yourself twenty five bucks. And by referring your friends to Emory Federal Credit Union and talking to them about the benefits of banking. If you're a member, you get that twenty five dollars. When they sign up for membership at Emory Federal Credit Union, they too will get twenty five dollars. Just a little incentive to do something you should do. Anyway, the benefits of banking and Emory are definitely worth banking there. I have been banking with Emery for more than a decade and like I to point out, I do have a big bank account as well. But the rates in the customer service superior at Emory. So why not earn twenty five dollars? Become a member, tell other people about it. For every person that signs up, they too will get twenty five and so will you. To learn the details certain restrictions to apply, visit EMORYFCU dot org, Emory FCU dot org, ANMLS number four zero one zero eight seven federally insured by NCUA, Equal Housing Lender.
Speaker 1: Fifty five KRC. It's just like my car radio or my phone.
Speaker 2: For one more segment with Dave Hatter from interest It Online at intest i dot com Dave phishing attacks they're on the rise apparently.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I'm hoping this doesn't come as a surprise for people with the stats are pretty shocking now, you know, I'm trying to get too caught up at any particular stats, Bryant, because there are numerous organizations out there tracking this, anyone from the FBI to Microsoft to you know, smaller organizations you've never heard of, but like you know, once the year Microsoft puts out a big report on cybersecurity, Verizon does. They're both very well known and you know, full of useful information, especially if you're a nerd like me. So again, I don't I don't want people to get too caught up in any particular stat but these stats are pretty alarming, and you know, sadly, because we see this every day out in the field working with prospects and clients. It's not at all surprising to me. Two hundred and two percent rise in overall phishing messages. Just in the last half of twenty twenty four, slash net, one of the one of the people who report on this fishing intelligence, support seven hundred and three percent surge and credential phishing attacks. So one of the things that I find frustrating about this industry is, you know, we come up with all this sort of technical jargon and mumbo jumbo that makes it hard for the average person to understand what it means and how it affects them. So, credential phishing is basically, in Layman's terms, I'm going to send out some kind of message. Fishing usually means email, but you've also got text based phishing, which is called smishing, You've got voice fishing fishing. So I'm going to send out some kind of message, might even be a post on social media, right, And when you click that link, usually there's some social engineering, there's some urgency you've got to do something before some terrible thing happens. Right, And when you click that link, you're going to end up on a log in page that looks exactly like the Microsoft that they sixty five log in, or exactly like the Google log in. So normally, when you hear credential fishing. They're trying to steal your user name and password because either because it's a targeted attack on a specific site, or because they know that people use the same user names and passwords over and over and if I can steal your user name and password your credentials for Facebook, that might also work for your bank or your email or whatever. Right, So to hear credential fishing, that's what they're talking about seven hundred and three percent surge. So why would that occur, Well, because they know many people use the same username and password on multiple accounts, and if I can get it for one, there's no telling what else I might be able to get into of yours and either impersonate to steal some sensitive data, or most likely and usually the end goal, to steal your money. And by using the same user name and password, by not turning on multifacture authentication, you're making it easy. I mean, I also want to point out Brian phishing is very easy and very cheap. It costs these bad guys virtually nothing to do these attacks. So you know a seven hundred and three percent surge on one hand, Well, it's cheap and easy, so of course they're going to go up and there's more people line, but it probably wouldn't go up that much. If these things weren't effective, right, they would figure out other ways to steal your money. So you know, when I see a surge like that, it tells me these things must be working. And they mentioned in this article, you know there's more of a shift to mobile based platforms again, things like your texts. They know it's harder to look at an email on a mobile device, or certainly a text on a mobile device and know whether it's legitimate or not. They reported mobile users face up the six hundred threats annually. Underscoring is shift away from email only phishing to multi channel approaches again, text, voice calls, postings on social media, and you know they break it down further. I know we're amount of time here link based threats. You know, another reason why these things are effective is when the good guys like Intrust are out there putting in systems to try to help your business eat this stuff before it ever gets delivered to people. Okay, so phishing attack A comes out, it points to some known website that's trying to harvest your credentials and it's Okay, so we can block that. Well, then they just set up a new one and then they send out another round of fission. So until that new site that's trying to harvest your credentials is discovered, it works. So so much of this. While there's all kinds of technological solutions, and there's all kinds of things you can do working with the right partners, and that you as an individual can do. Like I mentioned in that last segment, a lot of this ultimately boils down to education and awareness and being skeptical and understanding how these things work. That it's really easy for me as a bad guy, to send out hundreds of millions of messages and to set up a website that looks exactly like the Microsoft log in page or the Google login page, and to be extremely skeptical before you click on a link and then enter your credentials. I mean, if people would just get that well understood and stop doing that, you cut an enormous amount of this sort of fraud.
Speaker 2: Out, no question about it. I don't open anything. I get an email, that's for sure, and you know, rarely do it all and to text messages either. Dave Hatter always appreciate the sound advice. Again, heed Dave's warnings and again, if you're a company that needs help with computer systems, David has a crew to help you out on that interest I dot Com. I appreciate you sponsoring the segment and for a pass along the information to us every week.
Speaker 5: Dave.
Speaker 2: I'll look forward to every Friday this calendar year with you and I appreciate what you're doing.
Speaker 7: My brother, always my pleasure, Brian. I look forward to chatting with you next week.
Speaker 2: Appreciate it. Todd zens are coming up after top of the our news, our watchdog of city council and the county commissioners. We've got quite a bit to talk about with Todd in studio.
Speaker 5: Stick around, a full rundown and the biggest headlines.
Speaker 1: There's minutes away at the top.
Speaker 9: Of the hour.
Speaker 7: A critical message, but it's important.
Speaker 1: Fifty five KRC the talk station.
Speaker 14: This report Dave sponsored. Bye.
Speaker 2: It's seven six here at fifty five ker City Talk Station. A very happy Friday, Love my Friday shown a fifty five care Sey Mornings show. I love him and Todd Zenzer. We're calling him our watchdog as city council as well as the Kenny Commissioner. Todd Zenzer the fifth Inspector General of the United States Department of Commerce back when he was sworn in in December of seven. He's got an amazing background. He does crunch numbers, he does pay attention, and he does show up at city council meetings from time to time. Todd Zenzer, Happy New Year to you, Welcome back, man. It's always great talking with you.
Speaker 12: Thank you, Brian, Happy new year.
Speaker 2: Always appreciate your thoughtful and insightful information. Let us begin, if we may. I know we got a lot to talk about, including the shooting information as well as the new arena. New arena anyway, but let's start with since a council meetings. I understand from our off air conversation you were there at the meeting on Wednesday and was the city hard at work doing city council business relating to matters within the city.
Speaker 12: Well, yeah, you're given an opportunity. Theoretically, you're given two minutes to make public comments before every city council meeting. You go in, you fill out the card, tell them what you want to talk about. But for the last year and four months, the public comment period has been dominated by supporters of the Palestinians or the people in Gaza, and they're very passionate, they're very emotional when they speak. There were probably, I think there were only six supporters of Gaza population there on Wednesday, but in meetings past there have been dozens who get up and speak.
Speaker 7: And the.
Speaker 12: Issue is that the city council has brought this on itself. That back in October, several days after the terrorist attacks, the city council passed a resolution by the mayor and Mark Jeffries in support of Israel. And as a result of that, the supporters of the Palestinians have come in every week and made a plea to the city council to condemn Israel and calling for a boycott or of whatever, not sending any weapons.
Speaker 2: Divesting because the city has such a real tight connection with the affairs of Israel and Palestine, and of course the city is in a position to do something about it.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 12: Well, there are people very upset with the city council forgetting us in this situation.
Speaker 2: Well, I understand that because regardless of where you are on the situation, you're in favor of Israel, you're in favor of Palestine. You're in favor of, I don't know, naval contemplation. The city has no control over it. It is it walked into an issue that it shouldn't have walked into. This is like a you know, Bud Budweiser making the foolish mistake of hiring the transvesti guy to promote bud light. I mean, why would you enter into that realm and invite the conversation. I mean, didn't you, I mean, didn't they anticipate that there might be a little bit of backlash for them waiting into the controversy.
Speaker 12: I don't. I don't think. I don't think they did. Brian and the pointless gesture though. The result is that the initially the mayor would extend the public comment period until everybody was done, including members of the public who want to talk about city issues. But on Monday he announced that he was going to stick to the rules of the Council that were enacted or passed back when the back when the Council started in twenty two and its extends the public comment period for thirty minutes, and everybody gets two minutes, and if the third minutes is over and there's people waiting to talk they'll just have to come back next week. Sorry sucks they get on the list. So fortunately the meeting on Wednesday was not that well attended and there was only like three or four of us other than the supporters of the people in Gaza. So we all got a chance to speak.
Speaker 2: To speak to matters relating to the cities, affairs and things over which council has control, right like snow removal for example.
Speaker 12: Yeah, so which they all were patting themselves on the back about how well they were doing in snow removal. I mean, there's no nobody who's raising their hands saying, well what about didn't we just hear that Mount Adams is.
Speaker 2: So it's just they have anybody from Mount Adams show up. They said, whoa, whoa, whoa.
Speaker 12: So, but the city council doesn't doesn't engage in those kind of conversations. It's all for one and one for all.
Speaker 2: Right, well, how does this work? So you ignore during the whole Israel Gaza thing, And again they stepped in that fort and got themselves in a jam that in passing a resolution that ultimately has zero impact or point. But you want to talk about an issue, or you raise the issue of let's say snow removal. You get your two minute comment period. I live in Mount Adams and you guys didn't shovel a single street up there. And are are they required as a body to respond to that or do they just listen, nod attentively and when the comment period is over, move on to whatever's on the agenda in front of them, in other words, not addressing the specifics of the challenges that people bring up.
Speaker 12: In front of them. Right, it's the latter, Brian.
Speaker 2: I figure that so.
Speaker 12: And the thing you look for is whether or not they're even paying attention to you. Oh, you know, that's because they can pull their phones their phones, look at their phones. But I do think they were fairly attentive during my two minutes when I was talking about the shootings in Price Hill, because there were six or seven of them over the New Year's holiday or New Year's week and that's not normal.
Speaker 2: No, it's not. And I know we're we're definitely going to focus on that in detail when we come up after the next break. But insofar as the agenda items on the council's agenda, did they have anything that you know, that had a point or that was going to that it is going to impact the population of the city of Cincinnati. I mean, what would they focused on.
Speaker 12: Actually was the shortest meeting I'd ever been to. It was it was over by like twenty minutes after two. The only I guess they're setting up things for the coming year. But the only thing on the on the agenda, for example, that had anything to do with money was getting approval to apply for a one hundred thousand dollars grand from Bloomberg Philanthropics for youth climate change Oh Lord program. And I guess it's an existing program in the city now that I guess Bloomberg has funded it, I don't really know, but that's the kind of thing spending resources on. Applying for grants is a big, big thing in the city of Cincinnati. They apply for a lot of grants federal, state, private philanthropic organizations.
Speaker 2: Well, considering you know, time translates to money because of salaries and you know people behind the scenes that have to fill out paperwork and all that. What have you ever done any number crunching on how much time and effort goes into let's say, applying for a one hundred thousand dollars grant from Bloomberger. Mean, do they spend fifty thousand dollars worth of time, effort, and energy applying for one hundred thousand dollars grant? Is it something along those lines?
Speaker 12: Well, I do not believe the city has a cost accounting system in place where they can tell you how much time people are spending on what task. For example, on connected communities, they said they were working on that for two years. They've got a hundred person not a hundred person, yeah, about one hundred person planning staff, all right.
Speaker 2: But paid positions.
Speaker 12: Yes, they spend over a million dollars on planning alone in terms of people and resources. So you don't know how much time any of these employees are spending on any task. But I don't really know how you can manage without that.
Speaker 7: So the.
Speaker 12: Point that I don't think people spend a lot of time thinking about is in business, it takes money to make money, right, We've all heard that absolutely. In government it takes money to spend money, and so they it's it's a self fulfilling thing. The more government grows, or the more they spend, the more the government grows, it never ends.
Speaker 2: Right because unlike a business, they just take from the taxpayer's labor and in the form of taxes.
Speaker 12: That's right, that's exactly right, and.
Speaker 2: It's not a money making entity. It is big government by its nature is designed to I guess, spend where the private market wouldn't otherwise spend, because they're spending money on nonprofitable things or things that they try to tell you will ultimately be profitable because of the economic impact of say building a multi billion dollar stadium or something.
Speaker 12: Right. So again, the more they go after these kind of funding sources, grants and things like that, the bigger the government grows.
Speaker 2: And as if there weren't enough climate change programs out in the world that they need to chase down those dollars. Will continue with Todd Zenzer, our watchdog collective watchdog over local government, after I mentioned affordable imaging services is stuck in to my buddy from Covers since yesterday, John Roman, about these types of services that are out there in the world. When it comes to medical coverage. You know, there's you know, some doctors will charge you this, and some will charge you some exponentially larger factor for the same service. Now, affordable imaging services is designed to get you an MRI CT scan, echo cardiogram, ultrasound, lung screening, or cardiac scoring for a mere fraction of where your doctor's going to tell you to go. And of course that's the hospital imaging department. Check out the overhead. When you're at a hospital. Take a lot, you know, the beautiful fountain, the marble, all of the rooms that are empty must still be air conditioned, the maintenance of the parking lot, on and on and on. They make the profit in places like the imaging center, where a CT scan can cost you five thousand dollars. When still profitable but very low overhead, Affordable Imaging Services can do a CT scan without a contrast for four hundred and fifty dollars. You get a contrast, it goes up to six hundred dollars. It includes this image, the Board Certified Radiologists report. They all do MRIs, the echo cardium. All of them have the Board Certified Radiologists report incorporated into the price, and both you and your doctor will get that report within forty eight hours. I've been to Affordable Imaging Services, I've gotten a CT scan there. It is low overhead, but it's the same equipment hospitals used run by professionals, just like the hospitals. So don't go out of pocket. It's a new calendar year. You probably got a new out of pocket responsibility before the insurance even kicks in. So why write a big fat check when you can get an echo cartogram, for example, for four hundred and ninety five dollars. Check all the pricing, all the information online at Affordable Medimaging dot com. Yes you have a choice. You can go where you want. Five one three seven five three eight thousand five one three seven five three eight thousand fifty five car the talk station insurance sold by smart here's your Channa I first one to wether forecast winter weather advisories begins at eleven am last till tomorrow morning at seven. With the snow coming. They say between two and maybe five inches that are starting around eleven this morning, still end by eleven tonight and overnight the roads may be covered with snow. Be careful. Twenty degrees for the low today's high twenty eight twenty eight to high tomorrow with mostly cloudy sky's overnight low at twenty and on Sunday partly fidy with a higher thirty two thirteen degrees. Right now traffic.
Speaker 9: Times from the UCL Traffic Center. You see Healthway Law Center offers comprehensive OBCD care and advanced sergical expertise called five one three, nine three, nine two two sixty three. That's nine three nine twenty two sixty three highway traffic. That's doing fine. I'm not seeing any major problems or no lays to deal with police activity. Has Kemper blocked off at mill Chuck Ingram on fifty five krc the talk station.
Speaker 2: Seven twenty one if the five KRCD talks to talk station, sorry, former Spector General Todd zends or he's for comm Inspector General for the City of Cincinnati. And pivoting over to the crime statistics that you just alluded to in the last segment, Todd's ends are not looking really good from a crime perspective in the City of Cincinnati, judging from the data post it and you can find it your cell posts just search on your search engine city since with y Insights, and they've got multiple reports, police call services, emergency medical service reports, just a whole host of information and statistics about the city. So let's break down the information you brought in, Todd, because again this is what you brought up at council on Wednesday, right, and your your specific point in the comment period was.
Speaker 12: Well, I raised three issues I had. I had sent an email to the mayor and the city council members and the city manager asking what is going on? I mean, why isn't anybody coming out going to the microphones for West Price Hill, East Price Hill, Lower Price Hill to tell us what's going on with these shootings? And so that was number one, why don't we ever hear from anybody when an unusual violence like this occurs? Number two, I told them that nobody really has confidence in your crime data. We're told that crime is going down. In fact, I got a response from one member of council, Anna Albie, that's the first thing. Well, the first thing she did was blame the state legislature for something, and then she said that she said that it's getting better, right, it says, well, it doesn't feel better. People aren't experiencing that crime is going down. They're experiencing that crime is going up. And then the third point I made was last year the city consolidated two police districts, District three, which covers the West Side, in District five, which is like North College Hill and Westwood they combine those into one district. Well that's almost half the city, it sure is. And I said, well, has there been an assessment of that? We ought to revisit this whole consolidation thing, because for a police officer to speak from one end of the district to the other end of the district, I'm going to take if forty five.
Speaker 2: Minutes, so giving an opportunity for the perpetrator to sort of maybe leave the area perhaps, Yeah, so I thought we should revisit that whole consolidation.
Speaker 12: Well, after I was finished with my public comments, I did talk to a couple of the council members and was told that there is a reassessment or an assessment of that consolidation that they're expecting very soon. So that's one thing that they're going to do that is in the right direction.
Speaker 2: Well, the idea that they're even looking at it, I suppose, is the only step in the right direction you can point to. That's what they actually conclude or come up if by way of assessment.
Speaker 12: We have to wait and see, right, So I did wind up speaking to somebody on our community council and they related that youth violence is down, But when you go to the data reports online, they don't show any data concerning youth violence. It doesn't go down to that level. So I don't know how they know that.
Speaker 2: Okay, so you have to take their word for it on that one element of crime. But then the broader thing is they can say, well crime's going down, you have to actually have a police officer respond and fill out a report in order for it to be documented.
Speaker 12: Correct, That's right.
Speaker 2: And my understanding is it given the pathetically low morale rate of the police department and the fact that they know prosecutors perhaps now under the new administration as well as the woke judges aren't really going to do anything about it. They have a well screw it kind of approach to going after criminals. Right.
Speaker 12: I think that's a I think that's a real issue, Brian. And so when I suggested that we conduct an audit of the day, that is one of the things you would look at is how are we collecting this for example, what is a shooting, what constitutes a shooting in their records, and how consistent are they and coding the data in their system? And I think factors like the ones you just brought up with with how the police are actually keeping the data for us. Yeah, I think that's a real issue.
Speaker 2: Right, So somebody's kids got a gun, fires it, maybe hopefully doesn't hit anybody in the cop cruises by. All right, son, break it up, move along, you know, and that it's a crime. But and I maybe this may be an exaggerated sort of scenario, but that's the kind of thing that won't result in anything. So youth committing violence, maybe committing an act of vandalism or riding a trail bike across the public parks or something, if the cops don't interact with them, then there's nothing there, even though the citizenry is well aware this kind of thing is going on because they can and see with their very eyes.
Speaker 12: That's right.
Speaker 2: All right, we'll bring Todd Zenzer back to talk more about this crime data seven twenty six. Right now, if you by KC Detalk station strong recommendation, and it's one, you should certainly take me up on call up USA Insulation and get a free inspection and free quote. The inspection is for folks who have homes homes older than the mid seventies. Because you got a little bit of insulation in the exterior walls. Like my daughter's house had R twelve late seventies build. That's not enough. With the USA's premium foam, it can go along with that old existing, deteriorated not even R twelve anymore because of the passage of time insulation and give you a far more comfortable and of course more energy efficient home. Built before mid seventies, you've got nothing in that space in the exterior walls. Fill it with the high star value foam in the market, which will allow you to achieve a level of insulation, sometimes surpassing modern build home insulation. It's that good. You will notice the comfort improvement immediately. You will notice the savings on your energy bills. It is a product guarantees to save you money each and every month while improving your comfort. So and at ninety nine dollars a month interest free, it is well within the possibility it'll cover the cost of the monthly insulation payment. So take advantage of the sale. While at lasts ninety nine dollars a month interest free, you only regret you're gonna have as you didn't make the phone call sooner. That call five one three three eight one three sixty two six three eight one FOAM learn more online. Check out the website at USA Insallation dot.
Speaker 1: Net fifty five KRC dot com.
Speaker 2: A Minute of Hope is brought to you by the Linder Center of Hope. Linten Hana nine says we got a weather advisory kicking at eleven am. It's gonna last till tomorrow morning at seven. Snow is on the way, which should start around eleven two to four maybe five inches twenty eight for the high today. Snow'll taper off around eleven Tonight. It'll drop to twenty overnight clouds Tomorrow with the high twenty eight clouds overnight down to twenty. Sunday is going to be a partly cloudy day with a high of thirty two right now thirteen degrees. Time for a traffic update.
Speaker 9: From the UCF Traffic Center. U See Health Weight Loss Center offers comprehensive hot b city care and advanced search of co expertise called five one three, nine nine two two sixty three. That's nine nine twenty two sixty three. Highways continue to look good this morning. No major time delays or problems to deal with. Police activity has kemper blocked off at mill near Forest Park, Chuck Ingram on fifty five KRSC the talk station.
Speaker 2: Seven thirty one fifty five KRCD Talk Station and Brian Thomas Worth in studio, Former Inspector General Todd Zenzer, who's always keeping his eye on the figures and the numbers, the antics of Cincinna City Council as well as the county commissioners and we will touch upon county county issues here shortly, but let's continue with the crime statistics. And you know, obviously reporting is a significant problem. Maybe they'll be looking into how things are reported, like to think they might do a reshuffle of matters over in the Cincinnai Police Department given the low morale. Are we still low on police officers time?
Speaker 12: Yes? I think the budget number is about a thousand and eighty nine. Is the staffing level they want to get to, and I think they're down in the eight eight hundred or eight close close to nine hundred level.
Speaker 2: So are are are are they doing recruit classes? Are they are they trying to hire and just having difficult time getting people to want to become police officers? Or is the money there? I guess, you know.
Speaker 12: I do think that they did something about the last training class where they postponed it or they did something like that, but I'm not really sure what the status of all that is.
Speaker 2: Okay, well, how about I know this idea has been floated around and actually experimented on in other cities. How about paying people to not commit crime? That that actually was something that they talked about.
Speaker 12: Well, they not only talked about it, but they are They appropriated two hundred and seventy five thousand dollars to I guess contract with a group called it's called Advance Peace, and it's an outfit out of San Francisco where they've got six or seven cities in San Francisco where they've tried this program. And it almost sounds like something that your religious institutions would be involved in in the past, where they go out and they try to counsel of at risk youth and youth involved in violence, and it's a it's a mixture of you remember the Scared Straight Oh yeah, yeah, yeah, So it's kind of the flip of that. Instead of bringing troubled youth or at risk youth into a prison to show what it's like, to show them what the future could be if they if they don't get on the right path, they actually are. This program pays a select number of youth to not commit crimes and instead turn around and help them reach out to the community.
Speaker 2: It just sounds so stupid on so many levels. Yeah, so, okay, we're subcontracting this agency, this organization. We retain them for a quarter of a million dollars. Then they in turn, we'll get money from the city to pay the kids not to commit crime. So there's an added ongoing expenditure there.
Speaker 12: That's part of the two seventy five.
Speaker 2: Oh okay, so after this peace organization gets it slice that leaves even less money. How many youth can you actually reach out to? And how much do you have to pay a kid to not commit crime?
Speaker 12: I think it was like one thousand dollars a month or so.
Speaker 2: Oh wow. And they the pro they were working, you know, right, I mean just like fast food job or something like that, which is where a lot of people start out their work career. If they were busy at work, it could earn that much money, be contributing to society and not have an opportunity to commit crime because they're at work.
Speaker 12: Right, So they're saying the the the similarity to scarage straight instead of going into the prison. This program was actually started by guys who had been to prison, who knew what prison life was like. But they come out to the community and engage in counseling and all of this outreach to the youth in a neighborhood or in a portion of the city. And it's all very ill defined at this point as far as I can tell.
Speaker 2: All Right, going back to is there even a police report to find a quote unquote troubled youth? Wouldn't that suggest that they've already had an interaction with law enforcement so you could identify who someone is that's likely to commit a crime.
Speaker 12: I do believe that that is part of the program.
Speaker 2: Okay, so first you got to find the troubled youth. Then you work out this relationship where you're paying them a thousand dollars a month to not commit crime. Now, assuming that youth actually got picked up by the police for being involved in some sort of criminal activity, do they have to disgorge the money that they were paid up to that point in time? And how likely is it blood from returnative that you would be able to get the money back assuming they have that obligation.
Speaker 12: Yeah, I don't think you would look forward to getting that money back, Brian.
Speaker 2: That's why I always ask questions. I know the answer to you, but before I ask them. Bill pause will bring Todds Inzer back up. More things to talk about city county wise. After I mentioned Zimmer Heating and air Conditioning, yet it's definitely heating season. If you haven't gotten the word on that, it's cold outside, and I know your system is probably hard at work, but you know if it goes belly up, it's nice to know that you have Zimmer. And for more than seventy five years, Zimmer Heating and Cooling has been making sure homes are safe, efficient and comfortable. Twenty four hour days, seven day week. Emergency service because we always know those units go out at the worst possible time. But if it's time you need a new HVAC system, carrier is the one to go with Zimmer as an authorized carrier dealer and they got a special going on. They'll do a great job for you. They're excellent customer service. That's how they've been around, family owned and operated for more than seventy five years. Get some savings on that brand new carrier unit. So call Chris Zimmer and please tell them. Brian said, how when you call them, make the appointment. It's five one three five two one ninety eight ninety three. They have all kinds of maintenance programs you can get involved with, extend the life of your units, you know, regular servicing. They do it all. And to learn more about everything that Zimmer can do for you, just and schedule easily schedule an appointment. Do it at the website go Zimmer.
Speaker 1: Dot com fifty five KRC the talk station man it's the new year and for MERO other.
Speaker 2: Advisory starts at eleven am and last on Tomorrow morning at seven am. The snow will begin in our area around eleven am. Should taper off by tonight at eleven pm. Look two to four maybe five inches of snow accumulation today high at twenty eight, overnight low at twenty. Slick roads careful twenty eight to high tomorrow with cloud mostly cloudy skies and a partly cloudy night flowing going down to twenty Sunday, part cloudie with a high of thirty two sixteen degrees. Right now time for traffic.
Speaker 9: From the UCL Traffic Center. Do you see healthwave. Boss Center offers comprehensive obesity care and advanced surgical expertise called five one three nine three, nine two two sixty three. That's nine three nine twenty two sixty three. Highway traffics building a bit, but no major time delays to deal with. The heaviest is northbound seventy five between Dixie and Kyle's. Police activity has Kemper blocked off between Mill and Norborne outside of Forest Park. Chuck Kingbram Moon fifty five ker seat De talk.
Speaker 2: Station seven forty one fifty five car ce De talk station, and Happy Friday to you. We're gonna have Keegan Corcoran on our resident Wine Extra. He doesn't live here, but like to call him that anyway. Our sommier friend, Keegan good Man. He is why dry January hurts the hospitality and retail business. He had a social media post on that it caused a bit of a stir, so Keegan to join us at eight oh five to talkers, I guess too, is abou why we should continue to drink in January? The former US Inspector General Todd Zinzer and studio going through these crime statistics and before we move away maybe from crime, and start talking about getting a new arena, the program to pay youth not to commit crimes. Do we have any evidence that even works? Is I mean, it's preposterous sounding.
Speaker 12: Well, the only thing that I did was went back to the there's eleven cities nationwide where this outfit has operated. So I went on and did some research on crime in each of those cities, and the headlines all look the same. It doesn't. You don't see any headlines about drastic reductions in youth crime. But in their this outfit got a two million dollar grant from the Department US Department of Justice in twenty twenty three to fund activities and he's eleven cities, and in their grant application they claim that they prevented one hundred and thirty four shootings or firearm incidents and saving partner cities sixty seven to two hundred and sixty eight million dollars.
Speaker 2: Those are sphincter inspired statistics. Todd, there is no way in God's green earth you can know that you prevented any individual from going out and acquiring and using a firearm. I mean, here's your check, young man. Don't commit crimes, okay, and so that one kid abides and doesn't commit a crime. Is that to suggests that that kid would have actually gone out and shot somebody but for the check?
Speaker 12: Yeah, well, I mean that's nonsense. Unfortunately, I don't think the Department of Justice went in and verified that information before they gave them two million dollars.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Well, you can't verify information that is pulled out of someone's sphincter.
Speaker 12: I eat, Yeah, I don't know how you measure.
Speaker 2: That, Brian. I'm sorry, I just sometimes my brain just can't process that epic level of stupidity. Things like this represent. Yeah, these are ideas that I guess council has been convinced. Is this group come into cities sort of like a lobbying group and convince members of these various councils that this is the right thing to present.
Speaker 12: Well, I think that's a good question, Brian. But nobody on the council. We got nine people on council. One person brings this forward and it's like, well, is anybody asking any questions about where this outfit came from? How we came to know about them. I get the impression that you know, they have a network around the country. They know that this particular council member is sympathetic to the cause, and they approach her and work something out. But how it comes to be is a very very good question.
Speaker 2: Well, I think everybody's sympathetic to the idea about stopping crime. But if you lack logic and reason and critical thinking skills and you can be convinced that something like this is a good idea, the problem is we don't have people intelected capacity that have critical thinking skills and think along the lines of hm, let me just test the theory with a few questions right now, like where did you get that crimes that that didn't happen? Information?
Speaker 12: Right, So, I think there are probably people on council that can think like that, but because they don't, it's one one for all and all for one on the city council. There's very little dispute.
Speaker 2: Which paints them all as idiots. Yeah, I mean I would if I'm a Democrat or something and I'm sitting in an all Democrat council and someone comes with a dumb idea. You know, stupid is as stupid does. Dumb is dumb is dumb. You're not taking me down that road. I'm not going to be labeled as an idiot. I've got a I'm calling a red flag here on behalf and in the name of the reputation of our party. You know you could be a real patriot by standing up stuff like this. Let's stop, Let's talk arena when we come back with Todd Zen's er. One more segment and a word for my good friends at Chimneycare, Fireplace and Stove. Get a carbon monoxide detector. Real life savers inexpensive way to save lives and get your dryer event cleaned out. Chimneycare, Fireplace and Stove also cleans out dryer events. And if you don't remember the last time your dryer event got cleaned out, it's taken too long to dry your clothes. Clog vent means longer dryer times, that means more money out of your pocket. Can also represent a fire hazard. You don't want that to happen. So while they're out inspecting your chimney, which you should do annually, make sure it doesn't need to be swept and there's no water damage going on in there. Maybe you need tuckpointing cap and damper replacement. Maybe you want to buy a free standing stove or a fireplace insert huge selection of those and wood waste pellet stoves. You can be found at the showroom which is located at four thirteen Wards Corner Road. Learn more about the company all the services and products they have online at Chimneycareco dot com. A plus with the better business Barrow tell them Brian said, high when you call for your inspection five one three, two four eight ninety six hundred.
Speaker 1: Fifty five KRC Channel nine says we.
Speaker 2: Have a winter weather advisory starts at eleven am. That's when the snow starts coming in today. Advisory over tomorrow morning at seven. In between it's going to half between two and maybe five inches of snow coming down twenty eight degrees for the high today still end over nine again around eleventh twenty degrees, be low twenty eight to high tomorrow with clowns close over nine twenty and a partly cloudy Sunday with high of thirty two fifteen sixteen degrees. Right now, time for traffic from.
Speaker 9: The UCLF Traffic Center you see health wait Boss center offers comprehensive obesity care and advanced serge cole expertise called five one three nine three nine two two sixty three. That's nine three nine twenty two sixty three. Southbound two seventy five is slowing again approaching the Carroll Cropper Bridge from the Lawrence per Ramp. Everything else on the highway is in pretty good shape. I'm not seeing any problems at all southbound seventy one through blue eshra kenwood Ingram on fifty five KR the talk station.
Speaker 2: If you have KR city talk station, Tryan Thomas in studio with Todd Zenzer closing out the hour talking about city council and city issues generally speaking, and former inspector general and watchdog for the collective here in the Hamilton County generally speaking, and also can give us an analysis on first off, was it first Star arena right fka the Coliseum? Yeah, I've seen a gazillion shows there. I remember when the since I Stingers were in town. I've seen hockey games play there. Not the best venue acoustically speaking, But is it has it outlived its useful life? Is it's still functional as a venue? Do we need a new arena, which is what they're talking about just generally speaking.
Speaker 12: Yeah, So the Regional Chamber of Commerce issue to report back in November, and the report was all slanted towards needing a new arena. Well, they want to bring in bigger names, they want to tie the new convention Center to things going on in the arena, and it's it's kind of trying to boost Cincinnati to another level of entertainment or conventions and things like that, similar to Louisville. Louisville has a big arena down there the what is it, the Yum Yum or.
Speaker 2: Kfc UH I lose track of rights.
Speaker 12: But they the report that they put together, of the study they put together, did identify you know, peer cities and the the UH Stadium or Colisseum type venues compared to Heritage Center, and it all makes the Heritage Center look bad. But what's interesting is that after they issued their report, the Heritage Center claimed that the that the Chamber commerce data was not correct, that they didn't they didn't report the correct data about the number of events at the Heritage Center and things like that, and the other thing that came to mind when I looked at the report, it it was very similar to the Cincinnati Futures Commission, which is which was basically dead on arrival with the city as far as we know, or it's gone underground for now, and it's very notional. It's like, if this happens, we could do this, if this law passes, we could get this type of funding. And what they did is they constructed on paper the type of facility that they.
Speaker 2: Wanted, their dream facility.
Speaker 12: Yes, and then they went back to Heritage Center and says, well, we can't fit that kind of facility where the Heritage Center is currently located. Instead of saying, well, we've got this location down on the river, what kind of facility can we put there, uh, you know, to get to where we want to go, they did. They didn't do that, and so that's what yesterday or the day before, the group down at the banks, there's actually a group that runs the banks, they came out with their own plan and they claimed that they could fit a bigger facility on that same location right there. Yeah. And the the thing is that if you move the colisseum or the arena over to the OTR area or wherever Birdie wants to put it.
Speaker 2: Well, there's talk about the west end right yeah, and then that would be the way. So that would also includes maybe the area around the new Convention Center. And then there's over the Rhine as a possibility where they going to put it next to the hard Rockets.
Speaker 12: I think that, yeah, there's a there's a location up near Hard Figure, but you know that the powers of b want to put it over there next to what is tqute, yeah, the soccer venue. Yeah, but if they leave the banks, if the arena leaves the banks, that's going to impact the businesses located at the banks. Were kind of we've spent all these resources developing that area, and now we're going to take one of the venues that we built up there and do away with it. And so the business community at the banks came out the other day and they have they have an alternative proposal. In the mayor he's kind of swaying. He originally said we didn't need a new arena. Then he said that, well, I could be persuaded otherwise, And now he's saying, well, I have to figure out how we would pay for it, all right.
Speaker 2: I was waiting for that because that was gonna be my next question. Whether it's there over on the West End or any place else in the Cincinnati area, pick a spot, anywhere is there money to build it.
Speaker 12: No, they'd have to borrow it, or they'd have to somehow get the money from somewhere.
Speaker 2: But I would interfere with the second leg of the streetcar. Todd.
Speaker 12: Well, I'm sure streetcar funding isn't there somewhere.
Speaker 2: Todd sensor. You know, it's humorous, it's comical, but this is real stuff, and it's going on right now by our elected officials, and it just it just leads me to wonder whether they really have a handle on how to run government, because you know, I know every one of my listeners can say their favorite road that has not been paved or repaired in years. I always joke about Sunset. That thing has been a nightmarish, you know, import from some war zone for fifteen years or so, and it has been fixed. And every year the number of roads that have gone unrepaired gets longer and longer and longer. I mean, you got to take care of the stuff you've got before you start trying to buy new stuff and things. And no one seems to care a wit about what we've got. Going back to like the broken windows theory, it's all broken out there. Let's start repairing some windows. Todd's in there, thank you for being the watchdog on behalf of the Hamilton County voters and the residents of the City of Cincinnati, and of course outside observers who might want to learn from the mistakes that we've made so they don't do it themselves. Happy New Year to you, my friend. I look forward to having you on again throughout the year.
Speaker 12: You so much.
Speaker 2: Just hold your hand up when there's something else that pops up you want to talk about. It's seven fifty six. Stick around, We're gonna get We're gonna from Keegan Corkoran our wine some actually kind of redundant when I say that, why dry January is bad for the hospitality and retail business. Plus reject Rebecca Serandov's going to the door for other I'm going to talk about a Highlands for child protection. Dwine finally signed the legislation into law. It took a long time to pass. We'll recap that journey with Rebecca at the bottom of the hour.
Speaker 5: It's a new year, new resolutions, new promises.
Speaker 7: This is a real world impact.
Speaker 5: I'm the same all from Washington. It's just another year of keeping you informed. Fifty five KRC the talk station. This report is sponsored by Rapid Unback Program.
Speaker 2: It's so rare for me to be excited week days at nine, It's going to be very excited on fifty five KRCD Talk Station Ato six, fifty five KRCD Talk Station. Very happy Friday to you. It's allays a good day when you get to talk to Keegan Corcoran, one step away from being the highest tier samier on the Planet'll getting it to it soon enough.
Speaker 7: On that.
Speaker 2: Also, he is the owner of Ignition Wines, which is a wine wholesaler. I love to put a plug in for that Ignitionwines dot com. Keegan if he deals with businesses, So if you're a retailer selling wines, you're a you're a restaurant selling wines, you just talk to Ignition Wines. He's got access to all these wonderful, wonderful wines pre tested and tasted with his expertise, you're getting steered in the right direction. Welcome back to the fifty five Cadsey Morning Show, my dear friend Keegan Corker, and it's always great having y a man.
Speaker 7: Hey, Brian, how are you.
Speaker 2: Doing pretty well? Happy New Year to you? Yeah, thank you you too.
Speaker 7: Man.
Speaker 1: I'm first off.
Speaker 4: Apologies of my voice because I'm.
Speaker 1: Fighting a seasonal thing going on.
Speaker 2: Well, you need to drink a little bit more in January, which is the point having Keegan on. Normally he's in studio and we we don't sample wines because you can't do that, but we talk about him. He gives us great wine recommendations at the right times a year, and you know, Thanksgiving and Christmas and the like. And we'll continue to do that with Keegan. But notably, and I had never heard of this, but apparently there's something out there in the world called dry January. It's analogous to lent. I suppose you give up drinking during the entire month of January and you made a public service announcement on your Facebook page the other day. Dry January hurts hospitality, slash retail and does nothing long term important emphasis for your health. Take one week and a month off instead. You got a lot of comments in response to that, and many of them are not pleasant. You didn't expect expect that, did you.
Speaker 12: No?
Speaker 4: It led off a firestorm apparently. And you know what's funny is that, like a lot of people I think that responded to that negatively were interpreting that as some kind of personal attack and or some kind of indictment on them participating in dry January or going sober, which I have done many stints of variety over my over my life for you know, personal or physical reasons or whatever, you know, trying to drop some weight, especially around the holidays. I understand it.
Speaker 7: Uh.
Speaker 4: My My point was though, is that you know, when restaurants and bars especially, you know, still a lot of them still reeling from the post COVID effects. And then also, uh, you know, I mean we see articles that feel like every single day of new restaurants and bars closing left and right.
Speaker 2: So this is.
Speaker 4: Historically a very difficult time for restaurants and bars post holidays. It's usually the slower period, the weather is usually you know, I mean, shoot, Cincinnati, look outside, We've got you know, a foot of snow still on the ground. So it's it's it definitely has an impact on those hospitality and industry workers, and it's it's just kind of a funny thing. And and and so my my point was, listen, you know, you could take one weekend off every month, so that's per year, and that gives you twelve different weekends. Just my pure arithmetic, you got a better and more sustainable lifestyle change that's healthier for you, it's better for your pocketbook. But I don't think a lot of people really bother to do the math on that.
Speaker 12: And then.
Speaker 4: You know, it's funny as I had a bunch of people send me private messages off off uh, you know, off off the actual thread and and and you know, express their like, hey, what why is everybody so angry at this?
Speaker 12: Is like, I have no idea.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't understand it either, And I mean some people call it insulting. I mean, obviously comments from folks who did it, alcoholics and have been on the wagon for any given period of time say well, you got to love people, try and do it a chance and be good to maybe his initial stepping stone to consider not drinking at all. But I guess why pile up in one month? As you point out, you know, and and and and and and I guess why January? It makes perfect sense that post holidays at the bars and restaurants would be doing less business. Everybody's been partying it up since Thanksgiving and so obviously people may be less inclined to go out again. The winter weather alone might keep people away, But why January, why not you know, June or something.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'm not sure. I think a lot of it has to do with you know, maybe it's everybody indulges a little too much over the holidays and they want to try to give their their bodies a little reset. And again I'm empathetic with that. I understand that. I totally understand people going after But my whole argument was heay, like, let's let's not just dedicate an entire months of the year. It's particularly the slowest time of the year for bars and restaurants to.
Speaker 7: Do this, and not an indictment.
Speaker 4: Yeah, exactly, And it's not an indictment on anybody's you know, attempt to get sober or anything like that. If you want to make good choices for yourself, and if you have a bad relationship with alcohol, for example, it's probably not good idea for you to indulge at all, let alone, you know, just the one month out of the year. But then the other thing is is that just like most resolutions, it's it tends to be something that people don't stick around with. So it's it's to me, it kind of seems like a feudal effort that hurts an industry. Now, the the afteris all this is I am well aware of, you know, people maybe raising an eyebrow. It's like, oh, hey, uh, you know, you got a guy that sells alcohol that's telling.
Speaker 7: Us to keep buying alcohol.
Speaker 4: Isn't that Isn't that coincidence? And and I would say, you know what, my counter to that is, Brian, don't buy my wines in January?
Speaker 7: How about that? I don't, I don't care.
Speaker 4: This is this is a this is a larger statement that I think I would like to make on behalf of the service industry, which you all know.
Speaker 7: I I spent all.
Speaker 4: My entire adult life in Jeff Rubi's and worked with them and h and many other restaurants that I've worked with, and so the hostility and bar restaurant industry is near and dear to my heart, and I've I've witnessed and felt personally the impacts of that over the years. And yeah, it's just one man's uh, one one man's personal mission.
Speaker 2: I think that is important point to emphasize that you're you're not just a wholesale wine distributor now you are now, but you have such a familiar relationship with hospitality industry. Again, you're the sammier for Jeff Ruby's restaurants plural so for a very long time. So you actually saw all this real time. You understand the realities that the restaurants face at in the month of January. And of course, I guess, is this dry January a growing phenomenon that actually enough people are doing it that it could have an impact. You're trying to nip it in the bud before it becomes something bigger. What's what's your what's your take on that part of it?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, I mean, I mean there's there Unfortunately, isn't too much data. There is some data that you know, I've seen over the years that a lot of bars and restaurants and even different different wineries and breweries have put out. The estimates range from ten to twenty percent of impact on alcohol sales for bars and restaurants in January alone. And that's that's not insignificant, particularly when you're dealing with excuse me, especially when you're dealing with already razors sin profit margins. These bars and restaurants operate often, so it's it's it's not it's not just you know, a drop in the bucket. And then and the counter of course too, there's a lot of people that say, you know, well, what about NA beverages and and low and no spirits and whatnot, which are starting to gain in popularity, and the cocktail. Yes, but this is this is one man's opinion. But I have yet to encounter one that tastes decent. And when you talk about d out wine or d out beer, you know.
Speaker 1: Again, I.
Speaker 4: Want to find one that actually is palatable in one humble fumily in his.
Speaker 2: Opinion, and I get that. I actually I quit drinking for I think it was seven solid years. Just woke up one day and said, you know what, I'm not gonna do that anymore. We did a lot of entertaining when I was a practice of law in Chicago, and you know, I brought the bad habits back with me, and I just thought, you know what, I have no reason to continue at this level. And so just sort of woke up one day and went down that road. So I tried a whole bunch of non alcoholic beers over the time, and I don't think a single one was what I would consider palatable. So I share your your conclusions in that regard, but I don't regret, you know, drinking now at all. I thoroughly enjoy a cocktail and I find nothing wrong with it. And like everybody says, everything in moderation, it's something that allows you a certain level of enjoyment in life. Be bad for you on some level, but you know what, I'd rather live life in a happy, positive way and enjoy a couple of bad things, and that's just what makes life worth living. You take everything out that's bad for you, but you have left. You know. You can't smoke anymore, you can't drink anymore. Everything's carcinogenic. You aren't supposed to have any more processed foods. Everybody here, here's your bowl of quinoa and your salad, and that's all you get. I just, you know, there's a certain loss of enjoyment of life when it comes to things like that. Well, I just it's you know, the other component of the broader component, is that a simple what I would call innocuous opinion like that garnered so much not none of it's really angry or vile, but just so many just reactions along the lines of what you got it's just a really interesting phenomenon in and of itself.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and again, you know, the the argument was for moderation and for you know, just general can control because uh and and perhaps you know, maybe I could have worshiped it differently. I don't know, but I thought it was pretty plain speakly or pretty plain speaking. But you know, moderation is the better choice if if you want to have a better relationship with alcohol, assuming that someone may have, If there is someone that is struggling with alcohol, certainly go get help. Certainly you know, take a step back and whatnot. But for the vast majority of the people that are participating in dry January, it's you know, it's it's it's not with the intent of creating lasting change. And I think that that, I mean, if we want to talk on a much more broader, esoteric level, Uh, it's it's. Uh, it's kind of an issue that I think a lot of people in this world today struggle with, is creating lasting change, creating you know, habits that are are are not only forthright, but also you know, just beneficial for themselves and for uh, you know, their community surrounding them. It's yeah, it's it's it's something that you I guess, Uh, well.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I get where you're coming from.
Speaker 7: You get what I'm saying. You get what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: I do, and I know my listening audience does too. But ultimately, don't pile up on the restaurant industry. They're beating up and battered enough. Fewer people are going out and there's there's less disposable income out there. But keep in mind your local you know, family on an operator, restaurant tours and the like, and support them and don't make things worse for me in the month of January. They're already struggling on coming off the holidays. I think we can leave it at that, Keegan Corcoran, you are always welcome on the fifty five KRC Morning Show. And next time in studio, maybe we can pretend to drink wine as we always do.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and maybe next time I will sound like RFK Junior or something.
Speaker 2: You know. There you go, appreciate the clothes and comments, Keig, and happy New Year to you and your beautiful wife. We'll talk soon. It's eight eighteen fifty five k SE Detalk station. The Honda CRV is in the shop right now. Jerry's car. Now give it to my son for Christmas. So now he's got the responsibility for maintaining it, up keeping it and guess what it's at Foreign Exchange Westchester location of course, where Austin and the a SC Certified Master Technicians gave it a full front to back and found out actually quite a few things going on with the Honda. I think he knew what he was getting into, but his responsibility, and of course he's glad he took it to the Foreign Exchange because the price will be far better for the repair work that he needs, including one hundred and fifty one thousand mile maintenance and that's quite a bit of work there for that one. But if he'd taken it to the dealer, he would have paid a whole lot more. And that's the point. You get an a SC Certified Master technician with data access to your manufacturer's technical information. They know what they're doing whether your car's from a traditional Asian or European manufacturer, and also Tesla's. You can take your Tesla for service to Foreign Exchange, they know what they're doing with Tesla's as well. BOSH certified business. But Austin understands you know, times being what they are, but it's always been the case with Austin. Don't pay as much as the deal or bring it in here. You'll leave with a full warranty on parts and service and more money in your pocket. Four and X for in the LETTERAX dot com. Westchester location is the Towsville exit off of seventy five east to Kingland, which is only two streets. Hang it right and you're there. Find them online again.
Speaker 1: Fourign X dot com fifty five KRC four.
Speaker 2: Ten nine Weather Forecast Winter weather Advisory begins at eleven am. That's when the snow put is probably going to begin somewhere around there. The advisory lasts until seven am tomorrow. They say the snow should stop by eleven pm tonight. Total accumulations two to four inches, maybe five. Today's high twenty eight against snow starts rolling out around eleven pm. Roads may be covered careful. It'll drop to twenty overnight twenty eight degrees of high tomorrow with some clouds. Clouds overnight twenty and a partly cloudy Sunday with the high of thirty to fifteen degrees. Right now, time for chuck with a traffic update from the.
Speaker 9: UC Traffic Center. You see Healthwaight Mouse Center offers comprehensive of BCD care and advanced surgical expertise called five one three nine three, nine two two sixty three. That's nine three nine twenty two sixty three cruise. We're working with an accident on stepbound seventy five. This is before you get into middle OFTWN. There's Lane's block that has traffic backing towards Franklin in one twenty three. Elsewhere, no major time delinks to deal with Chuck ingraman fifty five krs. The talk station.
Speaker 2: A thirty fifty five KRCD talk station. Happy Friday, not a happy subject matter, but a happy outcome for the children in the state of behime from going on a going forward basis. Governor Mike Dewineseina bill into law this week making it a crime for predators to groom a child for sexual abuse using a pattern of behavior. A woman responsible a large part of Ohiolans for Child Protects, Rebecca Sirendorff, is on the phone to talk about her journey to get this bill enacted. Rebecca initially, let me thank you on behalf of myself personally and my listening audience and every parent of a young child out there for getting this pass and over the finish line, what I'm reading about this father Cutcher, for example, is just absolutely horrific and disgusting. Welcome to the fifty five care Sing Morning Show, Rebecca.
Speaker 10: Good morning, and thank you so much. Really, this was such a collaborative effort from moms and dads and grandparents picking up the phone and calling lawmakers to our bill sponsors, Bill Sites and Cindy Abrams and great committee heads like Manning and Hillier that helped usher this through. We had floor speeches from both sides the aisle and support and it went through unanimously in the Senate and all but one vote in the House. So this really took a village and hopefully we'll be able to collaborate again because there's way too much sex abuse in our state.
Speaker 2: Well it really is, and you know, the job is not over. As I'm looking at the reporting from wcpo's Paula Christian who was following this story, Ohio is the sixth that's six, number six in the nation to criminalize child grooming for sex. I find that impossible to believe. Rebecca, do you have any concept as to how or why that might be. Because we've had the Internet around in you know, social media and the like, which makes it so easy for perverts to reach out to children. People pretend to be young people and make friends online. We've heard story after story after story, and it has been going on for years. How is it that more states haven't done something about this?
Speaker 10: Well, I think in part it's a few factors, right. I think in our imaginations, a lot of us were raised with the concept of stranger danger, right. But the facts of child sex abuse is most children know their offender, and many families know them and trust them. When you look at online abuse right now, University of New Hampshire estimates that about one in six kids in our country are being exploited online and over sixty percent of those offenders online already know your child and their offline life. Many times they're presenting themselves as somebody else in peerage, right. And so, first of all, there's a lot of misconceptions about that how this works.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 10: We also as parents believe that because we sat down and talked to our kids about these things such a stranger danger or that people shouldn't touch you into certain places that your child will come home and tell you about the assault. And the sad reality is that delayed disclosure is a real problem for a child after they've been assaulted. Many offenders will threaten a child, They manipulate them in ways to make the child feel as if they're wrongly complicit in this abuse. They'll threaten to harm another sibling if they disclose, and also PTSD and trauma. Usually a child can be disassociating. There's a lot happening in the aftermath of assault, and your child may not come home and tell you, and sometimes just fear will you believe them is a problem. So it's important that we have programs like Aaron's Law that was just passed two years ago. But sadly, all the religious schools in our state were carved out of that, so we're not equally protecting the kids. It's only the public school kids with Aaron's Law training, and that's age appropriate body safety training. And many people will tell you that after a large school has that training, they have a few children step forward at the end of it, because this is trained professionals that know how to phrase things in the right way for the age of a child and their understanding, and it just gets to a different level because many times you have to describe a behavior, Like a forensic nurse, for example, is not going to ask someone have you been ranked? They will maybe describe the circumstances. That is because even labeling what an assault is is its own process for any age victim. Right, So getting evidence based approaches is so key, and that's why we've been calling for Sexual Violence Caucus up at the state House. We would like to get all the minds to the table, from lawmakers to forensic nurses, to the good folks that ohiolianced sexual violence, the council and child abuse. There's so many great organizations in our state and law enforcement, the prosecutors. Get these people to the table and let's start taking a comprehensive approach to updating our laws because predators are always updating what they're doing and how they're exploiting our children, and the legislative process can take a long time. This bill took five years to get to the finish line.
Speaker 12: Five Yes, I.
Speaker 10: Think about the children that were exploited in that time. Well, sta Is the Girls Report says one in five girls were sexually assaulted in Ohio in the last twelve months when they did a climate survey of our.
Speaker 1: Younger god and five.
Speaker 10: One in five, we're above the national average. Can you imagine if one in five cars were stolen this year?
Speaker 2: Ah, they be screaming, bloody nightmare. Let's I tell you what. We're not done with this conversation, re Beeck. I want to hold you over and talk a little bit more about it. I'm also curious to know about the lone no vote, but I want you to lighten my listeners as to how this will work and how this grooing process and how far it has to go before they might find themselves subject to criminal liability under this new law. Will continue with and thank God for her, Rebecca Cerndorff after these brief words.
Speaker 1: Fifty five KRC, Well, did you know that future health offers a fact?
Speaker 2: Here's your nine first morning weather forecast. When weather advisory starts at eleven am last week Tomorrow morning at seven today, snow kicks in around eleven AM, expecting two to maybe five inches. Twenty eight three is going to be the high today. Snow'll end around eleven They're suggesting overnight roads might be covered with snow. Slick to be careful low of twenty twenty eight, the high tomorrow mostly cloudy, partly thotty overnight down to twenty and a partly clotty Sunday thirty two. It's seventeen right now. Time for a chuck with traffic from.
Speaker 9: The UCLP Traffic Center. You see health Wave Boss center offers comprehensive obcity care and advanced Sergey Go expertise called five one three ninety three nine two two sixty three. That's nine three nine twenty two sixty three. Crews continue to work with an accident stop found seventy five above Middletown. Traffic backing up towards Franklin in one twenty three. Traffic elsewhere is doing just fine. Chuck Ingram on fifty five KRC the talk station.
Speaker 2: A thirty nine coming on eighty forty fifty five KRC DE talk station. There are good people out in the world, and there's some terrible people out in the world. One of the good ones so fighting for protecting our young people from molesters and would be child rapist Rebecca Cerndorf on the program Highlands for Child Protection. It's easy to find her organization if you're a face on Facebook. Just search Ohilands for Child Protection to take you right to the web page. And congratulations on getting Mike Dwyane to sign this. It only took five years to get the bill that criminalizes grooming, and you mentioned it was unanimous with the exception of one House vote. Can I ask why that was?
Speaker 6: It?
Speaker 2: Was it a no vote or an abstention vote? And I was there any reason associated with not embracing this seemingly, I mean bulletproof from a needs standpoint bill.
Speaker 10: We'd never circle back with the lawmaker, but I would imagine that maybe they just wanted to just register that like a pause there of like, let's make sure it's narrow enough. And that's a good thing to have, is whenever you're looking to criminalize something, particularly when you're going to have a new crime in your state, you want to make sure that it's constructed in such a way that it won't be tossed out for vagueness or that your nets so wide that you would sweep up and assent people, because that is not our intention in any way. And after further vetting of this bill, everyone became much more comfortable with it, and it's great that that's how this process works in committee. And basically this is constructed to kind of mirror other parts of OHIO revised code, like pattern of behavior in grooming mimics that in stalking and stalking itself. Individual behaviors and stalking can be relatively innocent, right, Like if someone going past your house this morning, completely innocent behavior, isn't it. But if they came past your house eighty times in the one week, combined with.
Speaker 2: Like they show show up at your job site, Yeah, yeah.
Speaker 10: Right, I mean we all know the difference between like innocent behavior creepy behavior, and clearly there is more to this like threatening behavior, right right. And then that ties into this reasonable adult standard which is all over US laws. Is this notion of would any reasonable adults see that the purpose and purpose is also another keyword when it comes time writing laws. It is a higher standard than, for example, recklessness, right exactly, So does a reasonable adult see that this was for the purpose of sex abuse? And then the tear mirrors also are sexual battery laws. So if this is someone in a position of authority over a minor, such as a teacher or a coach, or a youth minister or a cleric, you now have a different tier for that. It also tears it for if there's drugs and alcohol and if the victim is under thirteen years of age. So this starts out as a misdemeanor and it becomes a felony based off of if you have priors for sex offenses as well, because we were still leaving the door open for like someone did not realize, like how very problematic their behavior with a minorus, that they have a chance to clean it up if they don't have that special relationship as a position of authority over the minor and that. But we wanted something that's going to come up on a background check, right, all these youth serving lords the background text, if they can't see that you have a history of grooming minors, then how are they going to guard the gates as to who has a lot of accets and authority over children?
Speaker 2: Fair enough? And I, you know, as I sit here, part of this reasonable standard I suppose is under what circumstances And I personally with the exception of you know, and my children are grown. My son's thirty, my daughter's twenty eight. But I'm projecting backwards and I'm remembering when they were younger, I might have a reason if I'm trying to find where my son is, and these these technological age we already kids got cell phones anyway, The only reason I can think I would even be interacting with someone who is this young would be maybe to try to track down my son. But that would be an innocuous sort of hey do you know where Jerry is? Kind of thing. It's a fair question to ask one of his friends, even if they're only twelve years old. But beyond that, why would any grown adult have reason to regularly communicate with a minor along these lines when they're not you know, a parental figure or someone that has an in local parentice relationship to that young child.
Speaker 10: Right, Well, there are forty two grooming behaviors that were found in some research by Winters in jaglists out of John Jay College. If I recall, and basically, the more these behaviors you see, the more apt that this is probably escalating or that abuse has already occurred. And they basically researched what was normal mentor behavior with people had never been abused and those that were, and there's a whole series of red flag behaviors that you're in a high risk situation if you were seeing them, and some of it is creating circumstances like we saw with the Sandusky case, creating circumstances to be showering with the youth, right that you were creating circumstances for nudities, encouraging young people the skinny dip with you, which we see in some of the investigative reports have been done on historic church abuse as well. Also adults that are texting minors about sex acts, but it is clearly not in the spirit of sex ad We all know what that really looks like in life, right to your health teacher or the parent or custodian of the child having a discussion with them, many times bringing thoughtful resources, particularly in a classroom setting. I mean, we all know how this is done right out of the health books, right and this instead, like if you look at the Culture case, I can't even quote some of the content there on the region because it's better regulated.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 2: Yes, I'm reading some of it right now. This is why this is text messages back and forth. And again I'm trying to envision the circumstances why any adult would need to engage in any type of long back and forth, regularly occurring discussion with someone of that age. And this kid was I guess fourteen years old or I don't know, but for this this minister to be we have regularly engaged. This is not providing counseling or ministry. This isn't, you know, coming into the priest's office and sitting down and getting advice about the lord or something.
Speaker 10: I'm just and I think as parents and concerned adults, I would see this as that when you're seeing things that are starting to add up and you're concerned, right, First of all, like start monitoring the situation. Better, consider this like a yellow light situation here, and if this is happening at a school, you may want to start documenting the concerns or co child protective services. This is one of the things we hope will come of this is that now when you're reporting grooming behavior, you are now reporting a crime potentially right, and in the past this wasn't quite categorized as anything because it's very rare for someone to witness the sexual assault, and these things happened behind closed doors. The grooming is the smoke and there's usually a fire, right, but the responsible adults see the grooming behavior, and sometimes because these are young children, we're missing the larger context here. Like in the father Jeff Drew case, we saw reports from boys in three different counting over the course of multiple decades from the eighties right up until a few years before his arrest, that they were reporting they didn't like the hugs from behind, the hugs from behind. Well, these are young children. They knew they didn't like the hugs from behind, but it wasn't until I heard the victim impact statement two years after Drew's arrest when he was pleading guilty, that the victims spelled out as an adult man that Drew was aroused and rubbing himself on them. That's already a crime in Ohio. Right, But this gives back to vocabulary and the young mind.
Speaker 8: Right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the child isn't.
Speaker 10: The vocabulary for it. It'd be very difficult to train them to understand that moment better. Yes, but make into account the alarm that your child has. Right, Your child isn't coming home to report a hug that felt good. They're coming home because their body was telling them that they were in danger. And if anything, tell your child to trust themselves and their instincts. If someone's making them feel sick to their stomach, they should tell you about it, and they don't have to unpack it for you today, but they're allowed to proceed with caution. And I think it's also good for children to have a safe word. One of the great moms that we spoke to that's retired from working with exploited children, he said, it's great for your child to have something that they can text you or say to you. I think they're quite verifiable, but lets you know that they don't feel safe in this moment, whether it's a sleepover.
Speaker 2: Ye, Uncle, your child's hanging out it Uncle Jim's down the street too regularly that I mean, like that kind of thing. Red flag. Wait, why is a grown person, Why is a grown man spending so much time with my minor child? You know, outside of the regular confines of the norm. Like again, going to church and seeing the priest, that's one thing, But if the priest is inviting your child over to his house, that's a completely different thing right there.
Speaker 10: And I think this happened gradually, right, Like these things start off looking innocent and then they take a dark turn. And it's important to just kind of reframe it. Think of the other trusted adults in your life, your child's life, and then just take these behaviors, plug in different names and if it sounds bizarre, you need to rethink is this perceived with a ton of caution? Or are we picking up the phone and calling child protective services about it or the police? And by all means, watch your child's social media used. I can't tell you, ohapat coming up.
Speaker 2: But you hit upon one of my pet peeves right there. We have so much capability to control our children's interactions online. You have special software you can put on. You can monitor your child's online behavior remotely, but just by installing the appropriate app. I don't know why more adults just don't do that as a default mechanism period. End of story, Rebecca. All I can tell you is thank you very much, and I'm just imagining down the road all of the children you have saved from. You know, the next step after the initiation of this grooming process, Lord Almighty Rebecca sers.
Speaker 10: A one hundred and fifty victims. So if we can stop them early in their offending timeline, we can save thousands of kids.
Speaker 2: Thousands from a lifetime of psychological harm. Let us not ignore that reality. Rebecca, thanks again on behalf of everybody in the state of Ohio and all the other states out there. Get on board to have a wonderful weekend, Rebecca, and thanks again for your work. It's eight fifty two I fifty five KRC Detalk
Speaker 1: Station fifty five KRC a U line the prevailing opinion