Speaker 1: You're listening to an airwave media podcast.
Speaker 2: On Monster Talk, we frequently talk about imaginary monsters or creatures of folklore, but today we will be discussing a real creature that preys on humans and our closest animal companions. It is often invisible, it drinks blood to survive, and it is responsible for many of the sightings credited to a chupacabra.
Speaker 3: Many of you will cringe and recoil.
Speaker 2: In horror when you learn the true facts behind the creature known as Sarcopti's scaby Eye. It's actually quite unlike anything we've ever seen before.
Speaker 4: A giant, very creature, part ape is part mass in Larkness, a twenty four a mile long bottomless lake in the Highlands of Scotland.
Speaker 5: It's a creature known as the luck Nest Monster.
Speaker 2: Monster tal Welcome to Monster Talk, the science show about monsters. I'm Blake Smith, and together with doctor Karen stolesnow blogger, linguist and paranormal researcher, and Benjamin Radford, science journalist and managing editor of Skeptical Inquirer, we fish for the chunky pieces of science and the steaming bowl of soup that is Monster folklore. Today, we find some especially meati pieces as we get under the skin of the chupacabra legend and find out more about the lice that caused the often reported hairless canids the media seems to love so much. It's okay to scratch, but don't skip this episode once you get past the discuss factor. There is some amazing science going on in acyrology, and it is fascinating stuff.
Speaker 3: Moresrtal.
Speaker 2: So, I noticed the other day that we've actually been doing Monster Talk for a full year now.
Speaker 3: It does is kind of fantastic.
Speaker 6: Have you both day to us?
Speaker 3: Yeah, so this is.
Speaker 2: The first opportunity we've had to get together. Actually, we had an opportunity to be together, but nobody noticed. It was the one year anniversary while we were there.
Speaker 6: What date marks the anniversary?
Speaker 2: Ole It was about, I guess a couple of days before we actually went live with episode one, which would have been in July of two thousand and nine. So the specific date, I'll look it up and then we can put that on our web page.
Speaker 6: So we will over one now.
Speaker 7: Yeah. Yeah, so, And in fact, if I'm not mistaken, haven't we recently rechieved a milestone in terms of listeners.
Speaker 2: Yep, we've crossed the ten thousand subscribers milestone. So it was very very close to my one year goal. I don't know what my goal is for year two. I'd like to get a Nobel Prize winter On. How about that to be Nobel either when we'd do in my book, I would.
Speaker 1: You know, Hey, if we're gonna have doctors and believers, then we'll have to have both.
Speaker 2: I would love to get an Ignoble Prize myself. I haven't really posed.
Speaker 6: You're well on the way.
Speaker 2: When you have to do something real science, y uh, it just has to be crazy, So real sciencey doubles. I'll leave that off the show. We'll talk about that offline. My plans to get an Ignoble Prize.
Speaker 6: So it's got something to do with.
Speaker 1: You.
Speaker 3: No, it's something to do with bones. I think that. I think there's something to do with big foot, bones and big So there's that.
Speaker 7: So what's today's topic, Doctor Atlanta.
Speaker 2: Today's topic, We're going to be talking about a real monster, one that you can actually encounter in the woods near your home if you live in North America and probably all over the world. As a matter of fact, This is a of course, a bloodsucking creature that looks very strange.
Speaker 6: It's not a cheap of capra.
Speaker 3: No, but it is directly related.
Speaker 2: No, it's not a vampire either. These are all good guesses. No, Today we're going to talk about lice. I itchy already, lice and mites. We're going to talk about the creature is the cause the hairless canines that we see on the media so frequently that people attribute to being cheap oficabras. So we're going to be talking to doctor Barry O'Connor, who is an evolutionary parasitologist, and he actually specializes in mites, including the kinds of the cause mange, and mange is probably the most common cause for the hairless condition we see in Let's call them media chupacabra candidates, or then you may have some other shorthand for them.
Speaker 7: I'm not sure how. I usually call them temporary chop ofcabras.
Speaker 3: I like that supercabra. What's that in Spanish.
Speaker 7: Man uhbs temporarily that.
Speaker 2: Is like sounds very very romanic.
Speaker 3: Dost a lot of super cobra or l supercabra.
Speaker 7: It will probably be l but it's funny.
Speaker 6: What are some of the other.
Speaker 1: Causes if we're not talking mites in mange?
Speaker 2: Apparently there's a breed of dog that's naturally hairless or not a dog.
Speaker 3: What is the well, maybe it is a dog. Yeah, Therezola is a dog.
Speaker 2: And then there's those hairless There was the red wolf coyote hybrid they found and that was also hairless. But I'm not really sure if that was a genetic condition or if that was aristotism.
Speaker 6: Here the hairless cuts as well, Yeah.
Speaker 3: There are there are.
Speaker 7: There's of course also alopecia.
Speaker 3: That's true. And what's he got to do with it?
Speaker 7: No, al alopecia. He needs great pizza down in Chicago.
Speaker 3: I thought he was Irish.
Speaker 7: No, No, that's a different one. That's his brother. So we were talking about alopecia.
Speaker 2: We were I had a friend in college who had alopecia and it was completely hairless.
Speaker 1: It doesn't always result in complete loss of hair though. No, it does not be patches of hair loss.
Speaker 6: I know that's common with some thyroid.
Speaker 3: Conditions, that's right, and temper usually it can be.
Speaker 7: I was just.
Speaker 2: Listening to the Science Show from Australia and they had a bit with Sir David Attenborough talking about what are eyebrows for? And it was interesting because he talked about how that pattern baldness is obviously a trait that's not being prevented by evolution. I guess so being having a hair on your head late in life doesn't appear to be an important evolutionary trait one way or the other.
Speaker 3: But eyebrows rarely go away. And so there he was looking at why we have eyebrows?
Speaker 7: What Goldberg?
Speaker 3: I don't know. Does she not have eyebrows?
Speaker 7: I don't. I've never seen eyebrows on that woman.
Speaker 6: Women pluck them for fashion.
Speaker 7: Reasons completely like like will be.
Speaker 1: Well, I think not usually completely, but some get tattoos and then they don't grow back. Then they end up getting them tattooed on, which I don't. I don't think it looks very good.
Speaker 6: It's very convincing.
Speaker 7: No, wow, I guess is there a I mean, it wouldn't be Amrkan What would it be for for the eyebrows?
Speaker 3: What would it be for what.
Speaker 7: I said? It wouldn't. It wouldn't be American, which I know that you two familiar with. But what would it be forbrows.
Speaker 3: What would it be for eyebrows?
Speaker 7: What a to pay for the eyebrows?
Speaker 3: Oh? I see?
Speaker 7: Oh can I work with me here, folks?
Speaker 3: What would a two pay for the eyebrows be? No, it would definitely not be.
Speaker 7: American Murkans on the show today, And so that's a good word.
Speaker 2: And instead of defining it, let's let people look it up, because there we go. Yes, if you're over eighteenth, feel free to look up mrkin.
Speaker 1: Row herebrow eyebrows.
Speaker 3: That's rather low brow if you follow me.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, I don't know. I like I say, like Karen just said, I think most people just you know, paint them on.
Speaker 3: Or tattoo them on, pencil them in, pencil.
Speaker 2: Them and me, I just keep trimming mine before they take over and become my new top hat. I mean, I've got like, no, no, not not even it wants to like crawl over the top of my head. It's like, I feel like I'm gonna I could be the skeptical Stanton Friedman.
Speaker 3: And that's saying something because that man's got some eyebrows.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I don't know if they're alien, but they're they're very powerful.
Speaker 7: Knits and mites. I may be mistaken. I think that the phrase nitpicking, if I'm not mistaken, it comes from the baby the eggs of mites and lice, which which you know, you can find in children's hair, heads and whatnot. And that's where the idea of nitpicking, you know, looking for little tiny details is. People would would of course pick picking, you know, these eggs and lice out of out of like children's hair for example.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I wasn't sure. I thought it just referred to the lice themselves. But I know monkeys, it's part of their grooming, like to pick the lice off, and I'm not sure if they're eating it. I assume they are, you know, or at least crushing it with their teeth.
Speaker 7: And what also they do with them?
Speaker 3: Well, they could just kill them, I mean, you know.
Speaker 2: Collect them well like dogs, like dogs bite the like fleas or.
Speaker 3: Well, I don't think it.
Speaker 2: Actually, I don't know what else they would do it. And I'm just saying that I guess they could throw them. Well, I don't know, Okay, just never mind, fine whatever.
Speaker 7: I didn't mean to put you on the spot. I'm just asking they.
Speaker 3: Could have been pinching them or squishing them. I don't know, you know those.
Speaker 6: Those I think that's the point. Isn't it a bonding thing?
Speaker 3: Well? I think the points just to get the knits off of you, you know, I mean bond I mean.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think the bondings evolved as an important social behavior among primates, you know. And I know when my wife combs my back hair and looks for nets, I really appreciate it.
Speaker 7: And what do you do for her in return?
Speaker 2: I have high serotonin levels and I make loud noises that make her feel part of the pack, and you paint on her part of the troop.
Speaker 3: We're primates, so.
Speaker 7: That's so romantic. Your wife's are lucky like a woman blake.
Speaker 2: Everyone's laughing and their ten hats are falling off. That's probably the least gross thing we'll talk about today, honestly, is my.
Speaker 3: I'm off?
Speaker 1: Really, I get freaked out about this one.
Speaker 3: No. Mites are disgusting. Mites and lice, uh and.
Speaker 1: Well the things you can't see. I mean, it's Howard Hughes, isn't it.
Speaker 2: Well you can certainly since when you're actually infected. And I'm not going to talk about what I know. Let's let's let the expert talk about it.
Speaker 1: But from my familiarity with the topic, have we got personal stories of infestations?
Speaker 3: No, no, no, will no, not personally. You know.
Speaker 2: We were public schools here and in the South, and I just imagine this is true nation. Why but every now and then a school will get a life's outbreak and then the next thing you know, you're putting on a special shampoo for your kids or shaving your kids heads.
Speaker 3: There's a lot of us.
Speaker 2: There's a lot of I mean that means, you know, actually taking baths and all kinds of breaks to the normal routine around here.
Speaker 6: I had them once when I was about eight years old.
Speaker 1: There was an outbreaking school and having long hair, they spread very quickly, so I remember having the special bath.
Speaker 7: Yeah, they dip you in like Achilles or something or no.
Speaker 1: I just remember um washing my hair and having to comb them out and comb the eggs out and dead creatures and wasn't very pleasant.
Speaker 3: Wow, So you can imagine how uncomfortable it would be for wildlife. I know.
Speaker 2: One of my first big skeptical investigations that I did for anybody besides myself was looking into the Jacob's creature, which was a bear photo. Well, okay, It was a photo of an animal in Pennsylvania a couple of years ago, and the bear experts said it was a mangy bear, but the bigfoot aficionados or enthusiasts believed it was probably some sort of primate. And it really to me it highlighted one of the big issues with unusual photos of animals, especially mammals, and that's that in support of the evolutionary theory, right, we look a lot alike when we don't have hair, all of us, all these little animals look quite similar, and even like at a skeleton level, if you have a carcass, you know, if you're not an expert, it can be hard to tell from a partial skeleton what an animal is. And in this case, you know, you had a big animal. You had lots of pictures of bears, and then these strange photos that look kind of like a bear, maybe something else. Some people thought they looked nothing like a bear, and and part of that I was looking at, you know, why was mange affecting these animals? So I did a lot of research on mange at the time, and it's just pretty prevalent. I think it was you Ben that came up with the idea that our at least first brought to my attention, the idea that we'll probably be seeing more major animals because with milder winters, they'll be able to survive.
Speaker 3: The winner better. So we might be seeing more of these kind of strange looking animals.
Speaker 2: You know, I'm not sure if that's true, because now we've had some harsh winters again.
Speaker 3: I don't know, but.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I had. I researched a Mange a fair amount for my Chupacabra book coming out early next year, and I ended up tracking down Mange experts and you know, getting some really interesting information that a lot of people apparently just had no particularly the chupacabra proponents, or at least the temporary chopacabra proponents really sort of didn't seem to have a clue about. So this will be interesting.
Speaker 2: I don't want to dominate the conversation, but I'll tell you one other thing that I noticed that I had a I don't want to call it a bias. I had some kind of an idea that maybe the reason these animals were being misidentified when I looked at these animals, I saw hairless animals. I saw hairless dogs, you know, hairless anything se to make people think monster. For some reason, I thought, typical, right, they are, they are atypical, but you know that they're not different species just because they don't have hair necessarily, right, So whatever they are.
Speaker 3: And I thought it was unusual.
Speaker 2: I thought maybe the problem was that these are animals that are being spotted by people from urban areas and they're just not familiar with what wildlife looks like.
Speaker 3: And I thought, well, that makes good sense.
Speaker 2: I got this idea in my head that maybe it would be like the you know, the city folk, you know problem that city folk don't know how to identify animals. But it turns out a lot of these animals are being identified by people from rural areas. The woman from Texas who had the hairless dogs in her yard, what's her name again? Then the woman who rides around on the tractor Phyllis Canyon, Phyllis Canyon, thank you, it's yeah, so Phyllis Canyon, for example. She she's a rancher, you know, she's familiar with what animals are out there.
Speaker 3: So that was wrong.
Speaker 2: That was It's not a country folks, city folk, urban rural problem. It's just a classical inability to identify an animal that looks different from what you expect. And I think that same kind of mistake is probably behind and I want to say a bigfoot some of the bigfoot sightings where people see a bear that's not behaving like a normal bear, or looks somewhat different or standing on its hind legs, and they don't see a bear, you know, they see something unusual that's not what they expect, and they're sure, they don't know what it is, but they're sure it's not a bear.
Speaker 1: I guess it's not encountering an animal in that sort of form. So that's all that is. It's not going to be a common thing. I mean, how common is this? I guess we'll find out today. Creatures to be affected by by MIT's in mange. And I'm still itching just thinking of it, don't you guys?
Speaker 3: No, well, you know, I just got groomed though.
Speaker 7: You just had your back, you know. Well, you know, there's definitely a psychosomatic element to it, not that anyone's imagining it, but you know, if you if you start thinking about bugs and creepy Crawley's and weird weird things in the bed, it's very very easy to convince yourself.
Speaker 6: That's a study.
Speaker 1: I don't know if it was in Scientific American, but it was about the psychological nature of itching. We'll have to track down the study if you want to mention it to point people to it. Yeah, but it was how there's definitely a psychological element to it.
Speaker 3: Surely.
Speaker 7: Well, speaking of that, let me let me throw in a plug for an excellent horror film that came out a couple of years back called Bug. It was directed by William Friedkin. Most people probably know him for The Exorcist, although I think his best film is a is a film called Sorcerer, which came out a couple years back, badly overlooked, but Bug. It stars actually Judd and Uh and it's it's a fascinating it's very very realistic from a psychological point of view, depiction of how people can sort of believe that they're being infested and sort of you have what what the French called folia do uh, in which you know, you have two people who are sharing a belief system and it's sort of a mild form of mass hysteria. So it's a symptom, right, Yeah, you never know, but it is a it is a good scary film, and it's it's very again, it's very realistic from a from a psychological point of view.
Speaker 2: You talk about Folia Do in your your book Scientific Paranoral Investigation, right, yeah, And I was just thinking, is that is that similar to a shared delusion? Like does that cover cases like where uh one that I remember recently where a woman thought she was.
Speaker 3: A divine I don't remember if she thought she was Jesus reincarnated or something, but her husband was going along with it. Does that cover that kind.
Speaker 7: Of Yeah, it's very similar to that. What you find is that you have one it's not just it's it's often just two people, but it can actually be larger groups. Usually you know, a handful, maybe no more than a dozen or so, but usually it's just two or three people. And usually they're related by by blood or marriage or you know, close relationship. Yeah, right, if you're in Georgia, who knows, or in Sydney. But but but that that's usually the circumstances. And so one person will will get the idea that they have you know, that they're they're afflicted by something. Uh, they they are they either have some something bothering them, or they have some sort of special ability, or they're having some unusual, unique experience, and it's it's always something that is it's really on the borderline between clearly true and clearly not true. I mean that is, you know, if a person claims that you know that they're being attacked by, you know, a bigfoot, then obviously that's not true. But if a person believes they're being attacked by something that's small or invisible or hard to detect, then that then to certainly another person who will begin to buy into that, that could be very believable more obstrutle.
Speaker 2: Today we're calling doctor Barry O'Connor, evolutionary parasitologist who specializes in mites. And you're also a medical veterinary acarologist.
Speaker 5: Acarologist, right, that's the person who studied mice and dicks.
Speaker 3: Excellent.
Speaker 2: All right, Well we're calling today because, well mostly because we want to talk about mites, mange, license, scabies, and parasites. And the tie into monsters is that a lot of times these hairless animals like dogs and coyotes are being found and called a monster, it turns out that later that they've actually got a condition called mange. So can you tell our listeners what mange is exactly?
Speaker 5: Well, mage is a skin condition, and we usually use the word when we're talking about animals rather than people. People get thee In some cases. The same kinds of mite parasites can attack both people and animals, but in humans we don't call it nange. In animals, generally, what happens is you get rather large populations of mites. That's not generally the case in humans, although there are variants on the human condition that resemble what happens with mange and animals. But what happens is you get lots of mites burrowing in the skin, and this is the normal thing that they do, that is their life cycle, and that elicits an immune response on the part of the host, either a human or an animal, and that usually takes the form of inflammation that can lead to thickening of the skin. The mites will often be burrowing in just the upper layer of the skin, but that will become quite thickened. That will cause blood loss to the hair follicles and so the the hair actually will fall out. And this can be either very generalized over the whole body or just in in parts and oftentimes in particularly bad cases, you will you will have secondary bacterial infections of the skin that that will give the UH, the suffering animal a very bad odor, and in many cases this can be fatal.
Speaker 1: In animals, what's the name for human nnge then, or does that take different forms?
Speaker 5: We well, actually the the bite that we're talking about that's causing most of these cases of complete hair loss. And you know this cubocover syndrome, if you want to call it, That is a mite called Sarcopti's scavy eye, and in humans the medical condition is called scabies. It's a rather common skin disorder. It does tend to run in kind of epidemics in that you will have high incidents of scavi's in a particular population and then as as most of those individuals recover. Because in humans it's generally a self limiting condition. Your your immune system will ultimately kill off the might, and when it does that, then pretty much you're going to be immune to reinfection for the rest of your life and self. When a basically a population grows up who's never been exposed to the MIGHT, and then the MIGHT gets brought into that population, it can spread easily through the susceptible individuals, who will then you know, recover ultimately and the immune and then the you know, the epidemic will will be over in that in that area, the same thing happened, I mean, the same might can cause and it's one of the main causes of mange in the mammals, you know, both domestic and in some wild mammals. One of the things that we've done here is to you know, do some morphological work showing that the sarcoptis might on humans is the same mite that's on animals. This had been previously hypothesized back in the nineteen sixties, but using modern methods we have verified that that is the case. And what appears to have happened is that at humans domesticated animals, this might which is really ancestrally a human parasite. I did some work many years ago, and this was followed up by some work done by a student of mine, Hans Klompen, who's now done at Ohio State University, showing that sarcoptis might actually has been with our species, that is, the humans, you know, from the outset. The closest relatives of this might occur on our closest relatives and on back through the primary lineage. So it looks like the sarcopts mites and their relatives have evolved with the primates. And then when we get the people, uh, you know, because and because the mice are transmitted by direct contact, they really can't live too long away from a host. And so you know, as soon as people started having close contact with animals, especially the livestock, as we domesticated those species with dogs, particularly, the mighte was able to transfer over onto those species. And as is generally the case, whenever you have you know what you can consider a new host parasite association. It's pretty nasty. We call it the highly urrulent. It does a lot of damage and mortality can be relatively high because it's a new situation that you know, that host species has not had any evolutionary history with that parasite, so it has not been able to evolve any defenses, you know, like we have okay, because it's been sort of our might all along, and you know we have you know what we say, co evolved with it, so that in humans ski normal scabies is an annoyance, Okay, it makes you itch, but like I said, it's it's self limiting and will go away. And you know, you're not the worst for war, whereas in animals who will get these, you know, enormous populations. What's happened subsequent to the transfer from humans onto domestic animals is that apparently the dogs then have taken it out into populations of their relatives, the wild canids like coyotes and foxes and wolves, and they get it, and they get it really bad. And then some of them have even taken it further into other mammal populations. There's a particularly bad condition in Australia with the sarcoptis might killing off wombats, which they presumably got the mic from the dingo, who you know, got them from the domestic dogs who got them from loss the.
Speaker 1: Same place as that before. It looks really nasty.
Speaker 7: But what is the typical pattern for hair loss in animals with advanced stages of mange? And I've seen quite a few of them in researching the chubicabre, but some of them seem to be completely hairless, other ones just seem to have some crest on the back. Can you can you sort of give us a typical pattern for that?
Speaker 5: Well, I don't know if you can say there is a typical pattern for for sarcoptic mange. I've I've done a little more work with some some related mites that that parasitized rodents. They're in the same family as as sarcoptis. There's one we have here in squirrels, and the squirrel mange is very characteristic because the hair loss is almost always restricted to the the anter you're part of the body so so, and not even the entire head, so sort of from the top of the head back to sort of mid body and then kind of down to the elbows and the rest of the body tends to remain you know, completely furt and you know, of course there a our exceptions to this, but that's that's the common pattern that you see with with squirrel manage. Some of the others, you know, will normally attack just around the ears. There's might it attacks cats. Cats don't seem to be all that susceptible to h sarcopic makes. They do get it, but it's pretty rare. There's another mite called Noto Edris that the Noto Eddy's cat hi as the species that attacks cats and also uh it's apparently transferred from cats to rabbits because it will parasitize rabbits. And it also occurs in the wild in the Old World tropics, on civets and mongooses and things like that. Okay, And and that one really likes the feet and and the u in the face. Uh, where you get the thickening of the skin again, and and some hair loss that you don't typically see, the kind of generalized hair loss that you see with sarcopies in dogs.
Speaker 3: And what actually determines whether or not mange develops.
Speaker 2: Does every case of this kind of parasite potentially cause maine or how does that work?
Speaker 5: Yes? Yeah, I mean that's I mean when when you get the light on on its normal hosts, which in the case of sarcoptis would would be a human and on humans, Uh, the normal place where the mites actually burrow into the skin is on the extremity, so very typically on the hands, okay, occasionally the feet, sometimes the genitalium. So scavies can be a sexually transmitted disease. And because humans aren't very well ferred, you know, we we don't notice any you know, any kind of hair loss because we didn't have much to begin with they don't tend to attack on the head. There is a condition in humans that's called crusted scabies that really does kind of mimic what goes on in these bad cases of sarcoptic mange and animals. Because a normal case of scabies in humans, the population size of the mites is anywhere from twenty to thirty mites, which isn't very many. But in these cases of so called crusted scabies, you will get hundreds of thousands of mites and you know, maybe even millions of mites that can you know, spread all over the body. And with that condition you get this thickening of the skin and all the things that go along with the condition we see in wild well, sorry, in other mammal species. For a lot of time people wondered about this crusted scabies condition and thought, well, maybe it's a different, different kind of might But now we know that it's actually exactly the same mite. It's just that the people are different. The people who get this crested scabies condition have compromised immune systems, so it's it's most common in u in the elderly, it's common in AIDS patients, and in people who have had organ transplants and have had immunosuppressive therapy. And one of the key tests of the fact that it really is the same might is that in a medical setting when when people with crested scabies are being treated, very often the physicians and nurses that are treating them will come down with a case of normal scabies if they hadn't been previously exposed.
Speaker 6: Barry, I wanted to ask you a question.
Speaker 1: It might be a silly question, but is there a connection between chicken pox and scabies at all? Or do people confuse the appearance of the stew.
Speaker 5: Well, there's no connection. Chicken pox is caused by a virus. But you know, in both cases, the you know, the initial lesion that you will see on the skin is going to be a you know, a reddish raised uh you know, papule that will be very itchy, and you know, all of that comes as a result of the immune response and in one case at the response to the virus in the skin, and on the other it's a response to the antigens that are present in the mice.
Speaker 6: So there's a similarity in the appearance.
Speaker 5: Then, right, babies might are actually going to be literally burrowing in the skin and they make little burrows that run parallel to the surface of the skin. One of the classic diagnostic methods for you know, for for diagnosing scabies in the absence of actually seeing a mite, is to put some ink on the skin around the lesion and and then you know, let it soak in and then and then wipe it off the surface, and ink will be actually taken up into the burrow and you will see these little lines then on the skin that marked the path that the mic has taken.
Speaker 3: I just wanted to say, gross. Yeah, I know you.
Speaker 5: Well, if you if you want, I can tell you about one of the grossest pictures I ever saw at a scientific meeting.
Speaker 2: That's saying something coming from yeah, yeah, don't don't deny our listeners.
Speaker 3: After that, we're ready.
Speaker 5: Well, no, I I went to a conference many years ago where the topic was you know, of human medical importance, and and a physician was was giving a presentation on uh sexual transmission of scabies, and the only photograph that he showed, which was sort of behind him on the screen for for the entire ten minutes of his talk, was was this human penis with a scabies mike burrow going up it okay, and of.
Speaker 3: Course it was.
Speaker 5: It was you know, like ten feet tall and anyway, Uh.
Speaker 3: Nice gis.
Speaker 6: Is that for the show notes?
Speaker 1: Hey?
Speaker 7: There you go.
Speaker 3: Copy that.
Speaker 7: Is mange sometimes fatal or is it really a secondary infection?
Speaker 5: Well, it's hard to say, you know, one way or another. With with animal mage Again, one of the things about this, you know history aspect, you know, the MC having really had a long period of co evolution with humans. And then when we look at animal mange, dogs appear to have had it longer than some of the other species, uh, dogs and pigs, perhaps because they both suffer from it. But you know, it's it's not necessarily fatal in dogs and pigs, and they can often actually fight it off as opposed to dying from it. But then when you get out into the wild mammal populations, it's almost invariably fatal, and you know, it can really do very serious damage to the wild populations. Years ago, when I was a graduate student at Cornell University in New York back in the nineteen seventies, there was a major what we call ePIE zolotic of sarcoptic mange in the red foxes there and the mortality was was, you know, between ninety eight and ninety nine percent, so it almost drove the foxes to extinction, and there was even talk among the wildlife biologists in the state of actually trying to trap the few remaining ones and you know, kill them and then just go find some foxes somewhere else and reintroduce you know, basically completely mange free animals. I don't think they did that, but you know, like I say, it does tend to run an epizootics, and it did take you know, some time for the population of house to uh, you know, to to rebound from you know, from that attack.
Speaker 3: Why is it that sometimes from well, you know, I can't.
Speaker 5: Tell you whether it's the you know, the infection or just the the hyper immune response, you know, the fact that that all the body's energy is going towards, uh, you know, fighting off these invaders, and you know, animals that that have mange are clearly weakened by it during during an episootic of squirrel range that that we had again back when I was in graduate school, and this is something I personally observed, but it's also been reported in the in the literature of literally uh squirrels falling from the trees, you know, because they have succumbed or they're just unable to you know, they're so weak they can't they can't hold on. And I even did a kind of an an informal little bit of data collecting that I never published because it wasn't it wasn't that rigorous, but you know, just just going out and looking at roadkill and then comparing the incidents of obvious mange conditions in the dead squirrels that I would find on the road, and compare that with the incident that I could observe in live squirrels just by you know, walking around town. And you know, the incidents in the dead squirrels was considerably higher than it was that I could observe in the live launch, which you know, suggested that, you know, if you were suffering from mange, you weren't as able to dodge cars as well as as if you were completely healthy.
Speaker 1: That makes sense, Barry, Could you possibly tell us about the life cycle of the mange causing parasite.
Speaker 5: Well, again, if we're talking, we're talking about sarcopti scavie. They start as an egg, so the females lay eggs in their burrows, and what hatches from the egg is a stage what we call the larva in the mites, the larva. Actually, you know, mice are arachnids, okay, like spiders and scorpions, and so arachnids are different from insects, and that they have four pairs of legs instead of three, right, and they don't have antennae. Well, the mites, integs, the acharai as we call them, are almost unique among all the irachnids in that the first life stage that hatches from the egg has only three pairs of legs, okay, So it's like an insect in that respect. They haven't got their last pair of legs yet, and so we distinguish that stage by calling it the larva. And so the larva will live for you know, some some couple of days or so, and then they will molt to what we call the nymph stage, or the nymph nymphs get their last pair of legs, okay, so now they have eight legs. The mage mites have two nimphle stages. We call them the protonymph for the first nymph, and then the tritonimph or third nymph. And you will ask me what happened to the second one. The free living ancestors of a very large group of parasitic mites that includes these manage mites, have a specialized deutonymph or second nymph that starts to disperse the species. And when these are the ancestral species became a full time parasite, they didn't need this special dispersing form anymore, so they just don't do it anymore. We can tell morphologically that the second nymphile stage is the tritonimph in the parasitic mites. So after that then they become adult males and females look rather different. They do have a direct mating, so the males and females have to get together, and after mating, the females are capable of laying eggs and starting to cycle over again.
Speaker 2: So the whole set of nymphs are the nympho mang x.
Speaker 5: I have never heard that. I'll have to write that down and give you credit for it.
Speaker 7: Okay, thanks, I think you mean blame.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 7: How is NaNs diagnosed? Is this sort of thing that a layperson can just sort of look at it and say, well, it doesn't have any hair it must be mange or is it something that really requires no.
Speaker 5: I mean, the conclusive diagnosis is is you know, you have to see the mite and and so you know, if we're talking about a domestic dog or or you know a cow or or a pig, uh, you know, a veterinarian and would do a scraping of the skin. Generally this is done with the you know, the backside of a scalpel, you know, and not the sharp side, because you don't want to cut into the skin. You just want to kind of scrape the skin. Put that material then in, you know, into some usually just mineral oil or something, and look at it on a microscope slide. And you know, then if you see the mites, well you have a positive diagnosis. I mean there's you know, there are other things that can cause hair loss. The general term for hair loss is alopecia. And you know, there's again a lot of causes for that, so it's not necessarily going to be a mite. And also there's something I noticed with in looking at the smirrel manage is that many of the animals that I looked at again the way these were roadkilled, I couldn't find mites on them, and yet they showed the very characteristic pattern of hair loss that I've described for it. And so it looks like what happened there was that those individuals had in fact been able to clear the infection, that the immune system had killed off all the mites, but they didn't grow their hair back immediately. And because the hair loss tended to occur in the fall of the year, these animals would be sort of half naked all winter along and again that would would seriously weaken them, and the normal pattern of molting in squirrels, you know, would would have them then grow their new you know, spring summer coat in the in the springtime, and if they did survive and get rid of the mites, they would grow a new you know, a new coat in the springtime, and you know, they would look fully furred again and not not really show any any signs of the mange, but you know the fur. I remember looking at the first few squirrels I looked at there. There weren't any mites there, and I was, you know, wondering about, you know, what could be causing this. Uh, But then I started to actually find them, you know, where I could uh, you know, I could actually find the mites and that was that.
Speaker 2: Are most parasites their hosts species specific?
Speaker 3: Is that correct?
Speaker 5: Well, I would say most of them are. Yeah, I mean there's a lot of them that aren't. And uh uh. The the sarcoptic mange miter or escape might is one of those that you know, if humans had had you know, never become humans and never domesticated other species, that might probably would not have ever you know, had the opportunity to get onto and establish itself on some other hosts. The few cases, again this code goes back to noncompums evolutionary work that he did with these, he was able to show that host switches in the entire family Psychoptady are fairly rare, but he could point to several cases of clear host switches where you know, closely related my species don't occur on closely related hosts. And since the most of the species in the Maine mite family Psychoptody are parasites on bat, you know, there's a few cases where species have moved from one of the major groups of bats onto the other one. And there's some cases where they've moved from bats onto rodents that live in the trees. So the squirrel made might which now really lives only on squirrels, has an ancestry that that goes back to the bat hosts. And there's a few that are on mice and rats as well, but these these are often found on oar boreal species.
Speaker 2: I read a few years ago about the relationship between guerrilla lies and human genital lize, and I was wondering, what, what can the genetics of parasites tell us about the evolution of the host animals.
Speaker 5: Well, there's a there's a long interesting history and in parasitology about uh, you know, what what we call co evolutionary patterns, and and you know, if you if you go back one hundred years, it was generally thought that, you know, every parasite was host specific and that every parasite had sort of evolved with its hoast. Okay, And so you could use then the pattern relationships among the parasites to be sort of a mirror, if you will, of the relationships among the hosts. Well, now we know that, you know, life is never so so uncomplicated and pretty. You know, what we call host shifting or column of new hosts does occur, you know, regularly, and so what we actually see when we look at these patterns is kind of historical associations like the scabies might and humans, and then relatively newer associations that are the result of colonization. Okay, So like the scabies might on on dogs okay, or the squirrel might again coming from or having its closest relatives, you know, not on other rodents, but on on that.
Speaker 1: Getting back to mange, how prevalence is mange? Is there any place on Earth where mange or life.
Speaker 6: Do not exist?
Speaker 4: Oh?
Speaker 5: Goodness, well, probably anywhere where people are and where dogs are. You know, you're you're going to find the parasites. You know, the the human and scabies does occur in every human population. Like I say, it kind of comes and goes in these waves or ePIE zolotics in a particular place. So you know, I remember owhen was it in the There was a big epidemic in many parts of the world back in the late nineteen sixties early nineteen seventies, So there were a lot of case reports. You know, I made it into the newspapers, and you know, then again it kind of faded away, as it does, but that doesn't mean it, you know, it went extinct. It just you know, went into other populations where not necessarily urban populations. I had a colleague who was working in Madagascar and you know, had come back and came to see me and showed showed me a spot on his hand and said, you know, is this what I think it is? And I said, well, probably, Why do you think so? And he said, well because one of the local people I was working with had scabies and well, anyway, there was some handshaking going on and you know, and and he had become infected.
Speaker 7: You we've talked some about the physical signs of mange, like the hair loss and whatever else. Are there certain behavior characteristics that are typical of banging animals? For example, anything that they do that would be a side effect of the mange that wouldn't be you know, a physical you know, that wouldn't be obvious in physical appearance.
Speaker 5: Well, they're going to clearly be itchy, you know, they will. They will scratch a lot because you know, the the the mightes do irritate them. Uh probably in the in the more advanced stages, that's going to be less apparent, just because the animals are going to be basically too weak, uh, you know, to to do a lot of scratching, you know, they they will uh Again in looking at at some of these uh Cubicaba accounts, you know, of the attacking of livestock and the like, because these animals are are greatly weakened, you know, they're they're going to have a hard time hunting. And because we're talking about carnivores here, that the dog family primarily, that they may be sort of forced into, you know, attacking livestock because they're they're easier than running down a rabbit or or a deer or something.
Speaker 2: Can you tell us what your thoughts are about the media's interpretation of this what seems like a common phenomena.
Speaker 5: Well, you know again, it's it's the combination of of myth meets you know, meets reality. Uh. And you know, as as is often the case when myth meets reality, there there is a rational explanation for, uh, you know, for for what people are seeing. If the myth is coming out of a population who's ignorant of the of the medical condition or or whatever. I mean, it's you know, similar to oh, you know different uh, you know, human anomalities that that you know get genetic uh diseases and things that have physical manifestations that are you know, offering interpret it in in some cultures, in you know, in some sort of mythic way. But it's you know, I I have you know, I did check. You know a lot of the pictures that are floating around on the internet of super cabares, and aside from the obvious paintings and drawings of monsters coming from the imagination, anything that looked like a real animal sure looked like a mengi coyote or a dog or a fox to me.
Speaker 6: And just going back to sorry, did you have a question? Play call?
Speaker 3: Well, I have lots of questions. We keep going there.
Speaker 1: Well, I was going to move back to scabies again unless you wanted to.
Speaker 3: And who doesn't want to talk about scabies?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I didn't think I'd ever be asking questions like this.
Speaker 6: Let's go back to scabies.
Speaker 5: Are you are you all itching about now? I mean I usually have that.
Speaker 6: I am, And I want to ask you about that.
Speaker 1: I've read a study a number of years ago in a science magazine about the sort of psychosomatic aspects of itching and talking about this topic.
Speaker 6: What do you know about that?
Speaker 5: Well? I laughed, because there have been so many you know, sort of personal experiences with things like this. One of one of the things I learned early on is to sort of avoid shop talk in a restaurant. Uh yeah. I was at a parasitology meeting once and you know, with having dinner with some colleagues and just talking about things we normally talk about, and all of a sudden kind of looking up and seeing there was no one else left in the restaurant. You know, we were We were not actually asked to leave or anything. But it's just sort of second nature to you know, those of us in the in the business, but clearly is you know, is very troublesome to a lot of people.
Speaker 6: Does it affect you or not anymore?
Speaker 5: You know, I've been at this for you know, thirty years or so and and have never actually had scabies myself. You know, don't don't look for to the day when I you know, when I might Uh.
Speaker 2: Yes, okay, I was going to do that and I get to save it.
Speaker 3: Yet it would.
Speaker 5: There's there's there's a lot, you know, a lot of the headline and you know we've been through that with kids and all this, uh I mean, that's a completely different story. But and and there are you know, there are other mites that that do bother people and not causing mage or or Scavi's like conditions, but but they just bite. And I deal with a lot of that, and then we get this condition that's that's called delusional parasitosis, where you know, people have the feeling that that things are you know, on their skin or or biting them that they can't see. And because if they can't see it, it must be too small and therefore it must be a mite. Then I get a lot of questions from the public that you know, again, the first thing I I have to tell people is, you know, I'm not a medical doctor, and you know, and I can't diagnose a condition that if they can actually show me a specimen that's the MTE, and I can identify it. And and in cases where they can, then we can usually based on what it is, figure out what the source is. You know, for example, there are charasenic mites that live in the nests of birds and small mammals, you know, rats and mice, and you know, if the nest is in the house or around the house, and if especially if if it's a bird nest and the young birds have left the nest. The mites will come in the house and bite people. And those are the easy ones because you know, people will bring in you know, this might and I can say, oh, yes, that's that's a Dominus's galty, that's might. It comes in bird nests and you just have to find the bird nest and remove it and they'll take care of your problem, you know. But it's when they come in with you know, boxes full of hair and you know, pieces of paper covered with Scotch tape that they've rubbed all over their body, and or you know, plastic bags inside plastic bags inside plastic bags, tonite them, you know, with a kind of insect part in the last bag. You know, these are people who have kind of let the feeling kind of take control of their lives. And there are websites you know that I can refer people to that discuss this. I always, you know, people are always saying, don't I'm not crazy, you know? Or do you think I'm crazy? Okay? And I don't think they're crazy, of course not. They're they're obviously having, you know, some sort of sensation, and you know, the the the idea is to try to find out what is the course of the sensation. And I try to tell them that there's many things other than you know, a mite or a small insect biting them that could be causing those sensations, and that they certainly need to see, uh you know, a dermatologist right who can literally, you know, could diagnose skapies or something like that. But you know, I kind of tell people that it's a very common, uh phenomenon. I mean, I do introduce them to the idea of delusional parasitosis, and in an offhand sort of way, not by jumping back and saying you're crazy, That's the last thing I ever want to do, but to tell them that there's possible, you know, psychosomatic reasons for these sensations, et cetera, et cetera. So you know, that is something that when you're in this business, you know, you just learn how to deal with it because you are going to have people coming to you with with questions about it.
Speaker 1: Barry, do you work with dematologists.
Speaker 5: Not directly, I do. I work closely with the University hospital here with the diagnostic lab people. I've I've done some training sessions with them because they they will, you know, somebody comes in with a tick bike and they have the tick. The folks there have been trained to identify the ticks that occur in the local areas. Because ticks are known to transmit a number of pretty nasty diseases to humans. It's kind of crucial to know what species has bitten you, just in case you start showing, you know, some symptoms. But if somebody's been traveling and they come back and they've brought something back with them, then these folks don't know what it is. And that's where I get involved with them and try to, you know, try to pin it down.
Speaker 7: You were talking about some of your current research. What's what's the hot topic these days in parasite research. I have to I have to confess it's not something that I'm really tea into. What's cutting edge these days.
Speaker 5: I can tell you what we're working on right now.
Speaker 7: I mean, yeah, what are you working on.
Speaker 5: We're working on house dust mites, which maybe you've heard of. House dust mites are quite fascinating because the medical connection. It was discovered back in the nineteen sixties that people who are allergic to house dust, the vast majority of them actually turn out to be allergic to the mites that live in house dust more so than any of the other components that are that are in there. And what we're doing is is we've actually been able to show that the dustmites have done something almost unique in their evolutionary history, and that is they're they're not parasitic. I mean, they're they're living in our houses, in our beds, they live. Uh, other species live in the nests of birds and mammals, and some of them even get in and interest stored food products. Now, but that their ancestors were permanent parasites that lived on birds. And this idea that I mean, there's there's an old adage, you know, once a parasite, always a parasite, which implies that in the evolution of the parasitic association, Uh, the parasite is basically giving up, you know, its ability to live anywhere but on that host. Okay, so it's its hosts. Then completely becomes its habitat, and you know, it adapts to that habitat to the point where it really can't live anywhere else, and you know, certainly not going back to you know, being you know, a non parasite and living a free living existence. But our work on the dust mites, and this has been done with especially in collaboration with my colleague Powell Claimop, and we've been looking at DNA from the dust mites and a whole bunch of related mites, both parasitic and non parasitic mites, and our results, which I'm actually going to present at an international conference here next week in Brazil, to clearly show that the dust mights have evolved from an ancestor that was a full time permanent parasite living on bird. The interesting thing, there's a couple of really fascinating things that have come out of that, you know, with that evolutionary history, and one is that the group that's death knites are related to are usually called feathermites. They mostly live on the feathers of birds where they're they're really innocuous, I mean, they're parasites only in the sense really that they're living their entire life on the host and they can't generally live off the host. But they're not really doing anything bad to it. Okay, there's there's a you know, a definitional problem here that that most parasitologists would define a parasite as as you know, something that not only you know, lives on a house, but actually does damage to it. And these featamites are are not doing that. They're they're not really eating the feathers. Uh. Some of them moved on to the skin, and those are really classic parasites where they're they're doing some damage there. But the ones that live on feathers are innocuous at the worst, and perhaps even beneficial in some cases because we know that they'll eat fungi and perhaps uh, bacteria and and other things that are potentially pathogenic to the bird host. That you didn't get really big populations of these things living on a bird that you know that the bird doesn't care. I mean, they don't do anything really to try to reduce the populations of these feather inhabiting mites anyway. But somewhere along the line, you know, one of these mites did to developed the ability to digest keratin, which is the protein that makes up feathers and hair, and actually it's what largely makes our skin waterproof because carroten builds up in our skin cells and then as they they die and they're replaced from below. So we have this, you know, the outer layer of our skin. You know what what peels off, right when you have a sunburn, that's largely keratin, and it's a it's a protective layer. And keratin is a really interesting pro because it's a very strong protein. It has a lot of I mean, we can get into into the chemistry here, but basically it's it's such a strong protein and that's what makes it right for making stuff like hair and feathers that you know, are difficult to break down. So if you think about it, when an animal dies, right, and you know you can watch the decomposition process, you know what's the last to go, right, the last to go or sort of the bones and the hair or the feathers if it's a bird, because they're the most indigestible, and there are so few animals that are specialized or even microbes that are specialized to digest that that material. Well, somehow again one of these my ancestors evolve the ability to digest keratin, and we have species that now believe it or not live inside the feathers. Okay, feathers are hollow at it's the bottom part of the feathers on the inside. And then there's a couple of species that are known from parrots, and we've discovered quite a number of new ones that are living in both the parrots and in woodpeckers. They're related ones living in hummingbirds on the inside of their feathers, and uh, these are clearly eating the feather material from the inside. I mean, they're not eating through it and destroying the feather because that would not be productive, right it would it would, you know, cause dam you know, too much damage to the host. But if you think about you might that that can eat keratin and you know, and has to disperse, like coming out of the feather and you know, getting onto another bird. Well, the opportunities for that are well, sort of from parent to nestling. Okay, if you're in the nest, you can do it that way, or or when adult birds are mating. I mean that's a relatively brief encounter. But so mostly probably this this uh transfer is occrying in the nests. And so if one of these you know, might let's just say that can eat keraten, he's in the process of moving from bird to bird and it falls off. Okay, Well that's a bad thing generally speaking, because mostly you know, if you're a feather mite and you really need to live on the feathers and eat feather oil, and you know, microbes and things like that. You're not going to find that down in the nest, all right. But if you're a carroten eating mite, what you do if you fall down into the nest is find yourself surrounded with food. Okay, if you've ever looked inside a bird nest after the young bird's grown up and the lab there's all this white, fluffy, dusty material down in there, and all that is pure keratin. And that comes because when baby birds grow out their new feathers, they're surrounded by what's called a feather sheath, and that feather sheath is made out of caroten and it just sort of slups off as the feather grows out and kind of builds up in the nest. And so you're a carrot eating mic you fall into the nest and you don't have a problem with food. Okay, So as long as you're able to survive now the temperature changes and humidity changes, and you're able to get back on a bird when it's time to disperse, well, you've set yourself up for possibly a completely new lifestyle. And that's been rather successful because there are quite a number of species in this group now that are living in nest Snuveral of those have gotten into human habitations, right, and they live in our homes, and they're eating the same sort of stuff. I mean, they're eating our dead skin for the most part. You know, they can eat other things. They can eat fungi, and they can eat again. Some of them have gotten into stored food products, grains and the light. But they're still kind of doing what their ancestors did. And you know, to me, the most fascinating aspect of this whole death might evolution and the connection to the medical problems caused by death mines is that the allergists have actually identified well over twenty different allergens, different proteins that come from dust mites that people can be allergic to. But the one allergen that the majority of people are allergic to and the one that causes the most problems, it's the same one. And so people were wondering what this was, okay, And the early studies actually found that this particular allergen was concentrated not in the mites bodies, but in the mite feces. Okay, So it's coming out the back end of the mite as they're feeding. And it was suspected that this allergen what they what it's protein, because that's what allergens are, and the protein when mites and insects eat solid food like these mites are doing, and the food is going in their gut. The first part of their gut is lined with cuticles, so it's not you know, it's not damage and the food goes through it, but when it gets into the part where it's going to be digested, it can do damage to the lining of the of the gut, right, and so the might secretes what's called a paratrophic memorane, which is a little soft protein coat that goes over the food as it passes into the mid gut where where digestion will occur, and then it's taken into the gut cells for actual digestion. So people thought, oh, that's the obvious thing. Okay, it's it's it's going to be a you know, the ellergen will be this memorane that's going to be left over again, it's going to stay with the food as it goes through the gut and any waste material it isn't digested, will you know, we will pass out as fecal material and it will be surrounded by this stuff. Well, when they actually looked at the structure of you know that people have actually determined what the structure of the antigen is. And it isn't a paratrophic memorane protein. It's the enzyme that digests keratin. Yeah, so we have we have gone full circle here. Okay, so we have. We've gone back to the ancestors who lived on birds that evolved the ability to eat keratin all the way through the the shift from a parasitic to a non parasitic lifestyle, uh to causing problems again, you know, to to the humans at least because of the very enzyme that allowed them to make this transition in the first place.
Speaker 3: That's it. That's really interesting.
Speaker 2: So so the enzyme that less than digest the keratin ends up being a problem for the people who cohabitate with their environment, right, okay, exactly, That's that's really amazing. So now we just need to evolve not having those reactions.
Speaker 5: Right, you know, and in the in the meantime, we we just wrap our mattresses up with you know, with with plastic and my my son had a bad dust mite allergy, so we had to do that when he was growing up.
Speaker 2: Is there is there a distinction between people who study parasite in those who study how to destroy them.
Speaker 5: I mean, it's all it's it's all part of of you know, the big field of parasitology. You know, we there there are certainly many different emphathies. You know, there are people like me who who really get excited about working out the evolutionary histories of parasites and and their hosts. Uh. There are people who are more ecologically oriented that that get excited about. You know, what is it that the parasite is doing when it is living on or in the body of of this host. I mean, what is the the essence of the interaction? I mean there are folks who look at this at at the molecular level. You know, what what kinds of chemicals are being produced that that cause reactions or or don't cause reactions in in or prevent the reaction in uh in the host. And you know that that's all really basic science there and and when you get into the in the more applied ends of things, you know, the the medical side of things, where where the focus is on uh, you know, treatment and prevention, so you still need to know some of these other things. You know, if you if you want to know how to not get a particular parasite, you need to know something about its life cycle, where it lives, you know, how it moves, you know through or potentially moved through different hosts. So you know, and and then you know, then I suppose there are folks who's you know, who get paid to go on come mosquitos, you know, and and that's a good thing too.
Speaker 1: Well, just a final question. We like to ask our guests, what's your favorite monster?
Speaker 5: Yeah, my favorite monster? Oh my? Uh well, let me let me tell you about a movie I saw a very very long time ago. It was a wonderful old Mexican horror movie made back in the in the fifties or sixties called The Black Scorpion. And you know, it actually featured some some rather gigantic arachnids. You know, the title character was was this train sized scorpion. And and you know, the the folks who made the movie did a pretty good job with it. I mean it really did look kind of like a scorpion, you know, had its tail this thing and on big pintures and all of that. And you know it didn't have the right mouth parts for a scorpion. You know, it more had beetle mouth parts. But you know, I'll give him that. But my favorite part of the entire movie is when this this young boy who is one of the heroes of the story actually falls down this hole. Okay, he's trying to escape something and he falls into this hole and he's menaced by this giant mite. Okay, and the mite is actually pretty well done. I mean I can even identify what family it belongs to. It's a group of predatory mites that has very large what we call raptorial appendages around its mouthparts that they used to grab prey with. And you know, he's having to dodge the attacks of this might, And I thought, you know, that was pretty cool to actually bring a giant might into a monster movie.
Speaker 3: Actually, I was watching that with my daughter about a month. She's only four. She was she said it was too slow for her.
Speaker 2: She wanted to any But yeah, yeah, that was had special effect.
Speaker 6: I was king of joke that you'd seen it, blake.
Speaker 3: Yoh absolutely, I've got it. Yeah, yeah, it's got special effects. By Willis O'Brien. Absolutely, yeah, so there you go.
Speaker 2: Thank you so much for spending some time with us today. More thanks for listening to monster Talk today. We've been learning about mites and lice and the role they play in monster folklore, as well as the.
Speaker 3: Science behind their life cycle.
Speaker 2: We interviewed doctor Barry O'Connor, an acharologist and evolutionary parasitologist. Your hosts for Blake Smith, Doctor Karen Stolesnow, and Benjamin Radford. If you'd like to come in on the show, please come visit the Skeptic Forum at skepticforum dot com. If you'd like to help out Monster Talk, please give us a review on iTunes. It's fast, free and helps us get the show out to more listeners. Monster Talk is produced with the support of Skeptic Magazine. Visit them at Skeptic dot com. Music from the intro was from composer David Beard. The Monster Talk theme is by Peach Stealing Monkeys. All music is used with permission. The views expressed on Munster Talk do not necessarily reflect those of Skeptic Magazine or the Skeptic Society.
Speaker 4: Hungary more skepticism, want to learn the truth about the scientific controversies of our time. Then subscribe to Skeptic, the quarterly magazine Stephen J. Gould called the best journal in the field. To subscribe, visit skeptic dot com today.
Speaker 2: Did you hear about the geneticist parasitologist with Tourette syndrome He developed a tick