Speaker 1: JP When we come to the AWA on the Complete Hulk Hogan, it's a whole new kettle of fish, a whole new territory, so many characters, so much background to learn about and understand. We know Hulk took off as a baby face star, but still so we're so thirsty for color about what it was like in the AWA, aren't we.
Speaker 2: Yes, Oh, listen. Out of all the territories, this is one that fascinates me the most.
Speaker 1: And so we're really excited to welcome the great jumpin Jim Brunzel, who is a Minnesota boy in the first place, lifelong AWA guy until he went, of course to the WWE as the Killer Bees with Brian Blair, and we're really really fortunate to have him. Deem us worthy of some time here to talk about Hulk, the AWA and that whole rather magical time period. Jim, it's really good to have you on the show. Thanks for joining us.
Speaker 3: Well, thank you for having me. You know, I do a few of these and it's always good to you know, reminisce and that was a great time here. You know, when Hulk first came to the AWA, it was just incredible. I mean, he took the territory by storm. I mean, I'd never seen such huge houses. And you know, they sort of brought him in as a yell and he wound up being a baby phase, a huge baby phase, and the people loved him.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, I can't wait to get into all of that. And I guess we should start with when you first met Hulk. I know there was an interaction at a gym when he first came in with you and him, I believe, But did you ever meet him before then? Or when did you first meet Hulk?
Speaker 3: I first met Hulk when he came here to do TV. And then I had just opened up a gym in white per Lake. And in the next oh, probably the next couple of weeks to a month when I opened the gym, he came and made an appearance and crime, there was like two thousand people there and I had just spent thirteen thousand dollars on mirrors. Wow, and there were so many people in the gym and they were leaning on the mirrors. I simply, God, I haven't paid for those yet. But he just, you know, he was he was a dear friend, and you know it just you know, things happened, and you know, and I might be jumping a head forward, but you know, without Hulk Hogan, they wouldn't have been WrestleMania's and there wouldn't have been al Comediet and it wouldn't have given Vince the control over he did over the twenty you know, twenty five, twenty six territories when you know, he took over because Hulk was he was a golden goose man. He just yeah, he was it.
Speaker 1: What was his demeanor? Like Hulk was he because he'd come off New York and he was kind of boisterous on that TV. He kind of found a heel persona and a swagger out there. What was he like to deal with personally when you first met him?
Speaker 3: He's real quiet, right, real quiet, and you know, yeah, it was so it was a difference between night and day, you know, when he'd get on that mike, but otherwise he was very quiet. He was you know, he was a guitar player, a bass player, and I had some friends of mine that played in the band and he got up and jammed with him a couple of times and the people went crazy and it was just fun. And he you know, he loved Minneapolis. He really liked it because he only had to work three four times a week.
Speaker 1: You know, did you ever hear anything Jim about him before leaving Vince Senior having to go to or schedule to go to work for Jim Crockett and Charlotte? Nope, never heard about that, Okay.
Speaker 3: Never, matter of fact, I was in Charlotte, and I'm trying to think I was in Charlotte. I left Awa in seventy nine, I think, and went down No. Seventy eight, went down to Charlotte for a year and a half and then came back, and then in eighty five I went to New York. So you know, I didn't know, if you know, there might have been word, but you know, North Carolina, Jimmy Crockett's promotion was on fire down there too. I mean, I mean they really drew, you know, with Flair and Ricky Steamboat and it was you know it probably he would have done well any place he went.
Speaker 1: Sure, what was your understanding as to how he came to a WA Who reached out to who first? How did he get on their radar?
Speaker 3: You know, I don't know anything about that.
Speaker 1: That's fair.
Speaker 3: I don't know. You know, I hear things, but I don't know that if they're true or not. I knew that there was a they were they wanted him to come to New York, but there was a lull in what they wanted to do and the timing wasn't right. So somehow or other, he wound up in you know, the Awa And I don't know if that was through Japan or whatever, but you know, he came here and he was just you know, it was it was hell on fire. I mean, he just lit this place up and it was just incredible. Yeah, it's great, biggest houses every place, you know, I mean the houses sold out everywhere.
Speaker 1: Do you remember buzz about his arrival before you met him in the gym and White bear Lake, was there buzz that this guy's like coming in or did you just encounter him one day and learn that day he was he was here?
Speaker 3: Now that's exactly what happened. All of a sudden, boom he appeared and they had Johnny Valiant doing it warm up interview, you know, and Johnny Vunny was a heel and he and you know, he brought Hulk in and his you know, h it's his you know, big star, and all of a sudden, you know, Holks started talking and then the next thing, you know, you know, the people were applauding him in the ring, you know, and he was wrestling two guys, and all of a sudden, you know, they said, wow, oh Covi, and you know he's he's the real thing. And then they just sort of dropped Janny Valliant and uh, you know how just you know, went on his Mary Way. I mean, if if you were on you know, we only we only ran like one town a night, you know, in the AWA, and you know it wasn't nearly as big.
Speaker 4: As as the WWE or WWF, and and every town we went to was just incredibly you know, it sold out all the time.
Speaker 3: And he was just he was you know, like I said, the Golden.
Speaker 1: Ghosts interesting on Johnny Valiant because of course everyone's kind of heard that story of how they gave him a heel mouthpiece. But as we're watching the matches Jim through through eighty one, Johnny turns face with halt. Johnny has the mic in a screaming hal Caulkulk at the same Paul Civic and other places. Do you yeah, what was that about? I thought I thought they.
Speaker 3: Well, I think they they it's they sort of waded out and then they realized that how could do you know, a pretty damn good interview, you know, either way. And I think they just sort of let Johnny go on by the wayside because Hulk didn't really need him, you know, as as far as a mouthpiece, because he just, you know, boom, all of a sudden, he just caught it.
Speaker 2: I was just gonna say, it's just it's it's interesting too about the promos, because we saw him in New York. We saw videos of him New York, and it's very very it's very kind of low key, almost like surfer dudish, but arrogant and heelish. But then all of a sudden, you know, there's like a switch that happens, and all of a sudden he's this animated, over the top like he's doing interviews with with gene Oakerland that are more like Hulk Hogan. And you know what do you you know, what do you what do you make of that change?
Speaker 1: Do you know anything? What kind of happened in between?
Speaker 3: I just think you know, they you know, he was well, he was certain nurse so long, but I mean, you know, they had Bobby Heaton here, who was a great interviewer, and Gene Oakland gets the best. You know, you got the best out of everybody when you interview. So they just let I'll go. You know, they just said, hey, you know, do what you want to do, and you know, you know do this. You're the you know, you're the six foot seven, inchestree hundred and twenty pounds, you know, new Hollywood star in wrestling, So go get it, you know. So he did.
Speaker 1: When Johnny Valiant was at ringside kind of trying to be a babyface cheerleader, we noticed it was doing a lot of six man's you, Hulk and Greg against whatever the other heel team would be. Was it kind of Was it kind of annoying? You guys are in there trying to work and Johnny Valiants on the house Mike scream and haul haulk.
Speaker 3: You know, it didn't bother me a bit because I figured that we were in the mean event and it was always good to hit Hulk as your partner rather you're in.
Speaker 1: To be absolutely man. Great answer. So you and Greg and Hulk have talked about the moment that everyone believes he first tore his shirt off. It was in the AWA, It was before a six man tag. Anything you can remember about that particular thing. Whose idea was it to rip his shirt off? How did that happen?
Speaker 3: I have no idea. I think it was something that I think it was something that had sort of manifested itself inside of him, because you know, he's such a muscular guy and he had that and it just you know, I mean that the the tank top was more or less a tank top, and it was you know, cut open on the sleeves, so you know, it wasn't like a real t shirt. But it got over. You know, he tore that damn thing off, and you know, people says, oh, the oak means business, so you know, I mean that just became part of his at tire and part of his gimmick that when you know, he'd come in and they just tear that shirt and yeah, so I just thought it was part of the package and it.
Speaker 1: Worked well initially. Was it a deal where you and Gregg would help rip the shirt? Do you remember that at all? Or was it always Hulk doing it himself?
Speaker 3: Always Hulk got it. He didn't need that for anything.
Speaker 1: It's so funny because Hulk, you know, I thought the same thing when I heard Greg say that in some interviews, but Hulk, I think in Jericho's podcast, said that that that that was what happened, is the first night the shirt ripped. You grabbed a side, Greg grabbed a side and just ripped it off while he was being introduced to the people.
Speaker 3: But oh, well, well, you know something, my memory is that's one of the consequences. Of course you can't remember Diddle.
Speaker 1: That's a beautiful uh, it's a beautiful thing to think about, you know, him kind of coming into his own he he he bumped up against Jesse almost immediately. Jesse was very well established in the territory muscle man, great contrast to Hulk, but they ended up working together and then ended up kind of you know, I don't say mortal enemies, but definitely not buddies. What do you make of the whole arc of Hogan running into Jesse and working with him in a w A and and how it ended up between.
Speaker 3: Them, Well, let me just see this about Jesse. Jesse had a way about him that got himself over as a heel. And you know, he was a very good talker, interviewer. You know, he was in like the top five, but in the ring. He was limited. He wasn't he wasn't you know, and I don't mean this derogatory, but he wasn't that much of an athlete in terms of you know, taking bumps and popping up and you know, you know, doom doom doom, you know, and having the crowd react. And you know, as matter of fact, next week, I think it's next week or the week after that, for SummerSlam, they are going to interview me about Jesse and and ww Is just mentioned, you know that he had more or less you know, led the way, you know, suggesting that, you know, pro wrestling needs the union, and I think they want to talk about that a little bit interest And of course it never happened, but uh, you know, I always thought it should. And as a matter of fact, I in turn called Gene Upshaw, who was the head of the NFL Union, and I talked to him on several occasions, and he had told me, you know, I told him what was going on in pro wrestling, and the money was being you know, as unbelievable amount of money, and you know, we just you know, the wrestlers never knew how many how much of the money was you know, they just knew that the houses were sold out, and then there was no pay scale and there was no contract real you know, other than now, I know the guys are you know, some of the guys are having contracts. But I have the original contract that was given to us, you know, when I first started, and I remember, you know, outside a little well, a part of it said, you know, for outside revenue, outside of the WWF, the talent was going to get twenty five percent of the gross income. And you know, and I don't know if you guys know this, but Brian and I wound up suing vents because not only did we not get the twenty five percent of the gross the wwe paid eight percent of the net to the talent. So that was quite a despair disparagy and pay so you know, and that was one of the things, you know, we had no control over. And you know, and everybody knew, you know, howk was making fifty thousand dollars a week, you know, just on his you know, T shirts and whatever else his dollars and everything else, you know, and plus he was getting ten to twelve percent of the house because he was the main event. So you know, I can't remember, but I have the Sports illustrated somewhere. I think it was nineteen eighty five, yes, eighty four eighty five, and I had a picture of him on the front and it said America's top Dog and it explained that Hulk was the highest paid athlete in the United States at ten million a year.
Speaker 1: Amazing, amazing. So yeah, I can see why the mind went there when we asked about Jesse. With with Jesse and Hogan and Awa, what was their chemistry like and did they get along or did you could you tell really soon that they were going to kind of butt heads.
Speaker 3: Well, you know, they both have you know, pretty good egos, and I think I think that, you know, because Hulk was to me a lot more athletic, and you know, he just fit the part a lot better. And then you know, Jesse had some problems with his lungs, you know, flying, you know, because he something was happy and they told him not to fly anymore. So that then pretty soon he you know, and I don't I think this was in the WWF. Yes, they sort of took him off the you know, the bill, you know, took him off the roster and he just did the TV so and you know, Holk was you know, I mean, I remember this is something that happened when we were with the WWF. We wrestled in Puerto Rico and they had a Leer Jet there. And after we wrestled in Puerto Rico, Hulk, Brian and I flew from Puerto Rico to New York. They picked us up in a limousine, dropped us off at Holk. It was the damnedest thing, you know, because yeah, because I you know, I flew in a couple of you know, uh, leer jets, but nothing like this, you know, I mean Bowman, you know, and too he did travel that way a little bit because he was in such demand, and I mean they worked the ship out of him. And you know, thank god he didn't drink because he never he never would have made it because the guys who drank, you know, they were half punchy, you know at the time the bell ring. But he was, you know, he just took it, you know, and he just gobbled it up. And you know, he was he was one in a million, one.
Speaker 1: In a million. So there was the clash with Jesse. One of the things we were looking back at the old newspaper clippings was in the Minneapolis Star. I think it was. They used to have a wrestling column and it was the Secret Scribe. It was like a massive yes, who is who is the secret Scribe? You gotta know. I still don't know, Fabous Jim, you know who the secret Scribe is.
Speaker 3: I don't know because wrestling per se was not taken as a major sport in In matter of fact, when Brian and I wore those crazy Nike Dunk black and you know, yellow tennis shoes basketball shoes, I wrote a letter to Nike saying, hey, yeah, you know where the Killer bees and we're wearing these shoes, and you know, would you like to, you know, look at us and see if there's any promotion? And I have the letter someplace, gentlemen that had said, mister Brunzil, pro wrestling is way below the standards.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 3: And I was just I thought, you know, I thought, jeez, if they would have done something, you know, Brian and I would have made you know, a ton of a lot more money than we did, you know, And that you know, that's the way it was, you know, and a lot of you know, and especially in Minneapolis, because you know, Verne ran a really different program in terms of he more or less concentrated on the athleticism of wrestling, you know, and the showmanship came in, you know, like with Dusty Rhodes and Bobby Heenan and you know, Nick Bockwinkle was a great champion for years and then you know when how came you know, I think, and this is what this is my idea why Hulk never got the WW or the AWA belt is because he was such a drastic change in personalities and champion than Vern Ganya. Vern Ghanya was a collegiate champion, you know, NCAA on the Olympic team, world champion, and you know, was the wrestler's wrestler, and all of a sudden, you have a you know, six foot sixth fnd here guitar player with twenty two of jarms, you know, coming out there and just killing it, you know, and I think I think that ego of Vern sort of held him back. And because of that, you know, I think they were you know a lot of people had said, you know, they should, you know, they really should let Hawk, you know, have the championship here in the AWA, and I thought, hell yes, But then you know, I heard all sorts of Scuttle, and they were worried that if they gave him the belt, he'd go to New York and they unify the two belts and you know, and that can all be taken care of, you know, legally, you know, by having a contract saying, you know, if you win the belt, you're not going to go to New York and drop it. You know. That's all I would have had to done, but they didn't. And then consequently Hulk left and the AWA just fell. I mean, it just went boom. I remember, I remember, and I had a gym at the time, like I said, and I remember the houses were so bad and I was hardly making any you know, decent money. I went to Vern and I said, Vern I says, you know, I said, things are getting bad. And I said, I realize, you know, but I said, I need, you know, a guaranteed contract, you know, for you to sign me to keep me, you know, And he says, well, how much do you want? I said one hundred and ten thousand dollars? And you know what he said, he said, you're not worth it going to New York.
Speaker 1: Oh wow, that's you know. I'm glad we were here because I wanted to ask you about this. You know, Vern had a negotiating style. I guess you could call it that. And we had heard an interview that Brad and Ringan's had done about the way Vern would talk to Hulk. You know, you would think this golden goose, right, he talked to him a little differently than he would like an opening match guy. But Brad was saying, you know, Vern would call Hulk a dip shit and he'd call him a dumb ass. Yeah. I mean, is that Vern having a you know, a fit because something didn't go right in the ring or on a promo, or was he regularly kind of you know, you know, talking down to Hulk, do you remember.
Speaker 3: Well, you know, I never heard him say any of that, and I just think that if he did, it was his way of sort of belittling Hulk to the fact that you know, he was a national champion. Vern was, and you know, Hulk was a magical figure in pro wrestling, making a fortune for everybody. And you know, I again I think and you know, Greg gets mad at me saying this, but it's the truth. I think it was purely ego that stopped stopped Vern from giving the belt to Hulk, and I would have loved to see it because if Hawk loved it here because he didn't have to wrestle that much, and plus he still had his contract with Japan. You know, he could you know, he would have. Vern would have been able to do what Vince did, although Verndon had the TV connections that vinced it, you know, I mean that was a big deal, you know, the TV. But Vern was you know, I mean he was he was. He was stubborn and pig headed and you know, you know, a very egotistical man and thought, well, you know I can do it. I'm very god yea, and he couldn't.
Speaker 2: So do you think that if if if Hogan, if Vern had given Hogan the belt that the the like, do you what do you do you think the wrestling boom that that w had would have happened? Do you think would have gone to a w A? What do you you know? What do you what do you think about that?
Speaker 3: Well? It was fifty to fifty The reason why, I mean it was a magic. Everything was magic with Hulk when he went to New York because Vince had the TV connections and all of a sudden boom he was you know, he was nationwide, worldwide, you know, halkg and Hukemania, and Vern didn't have those connections. I think Vern possibly burnt a couple of bridges, you know, with some of the major TV you know, networks, and I think that probably would have hurt him. But at the same time, you know, the opportunity to have Hulk as you're champion, you know, Vern could have made a fortune, and you know they could have worked something outward. You know, Hulk left after so many you know, so long or something, and I got suspended, and you know, there's always a way, but it's just that that initial deal where I go, you know, go to New York, you know, got out of you know, boom in the next thing. You know, a w A can't traw Diddley squat, you know, I mean the houses were horrible on.
Speaker 1: The friction with Vern. Did you see the incident where Vern shot with Hulk in one front double? Now you heard about that?
Speaker 3: Ever I never I never heard of it. Never. You know, I heard of it, but I never saw it. And you know, you know, Vernon was a great wrestler, but he's you know, he's fifty years older than Hulk, and and you know, hal Cogan was in great shape, and I watched some of those new Japan wrestling tapes of him wrestling in Nooki and Hulk could get on the mat and work. I mean he could wrestle. For a big guy, he was very talented. So you know, I you know, and you know, Greg, yeah, my dad did this and that. I just let it roll by me because I thought, there's you know, it's it's just it's just a shame that it happened the way it did. But you know, everything happens for a purpose, and that purpose was for Whoe Cogan because he became the biggest star worldwide star in wrestling there.
Speaker 1: Was did did you uh?
Speaker 2: Did you ever frequent the Begania House at on Lake Minnetaka?
Speaker 3: Oh? Yes, see Greg and I played football together when we were a freshman and he was a quarterback and I was a wide receiver and he was a good quarterback. And you know he was you know, he was six feet and one hundred and seventy pounds, but he could throw the ball decent. But he wasn't the type of big ten football player that Murray Warmath, who our coach was at that time. You know, he wanted a quarterback that was six two two twenty that could run the ball on an option. You know, I forget about passing the ball. The only passes, you know. So, you know, Greg and I did well together, and then he says, I'm going to I'm going to transfer. So he went to Wyoming and he wound up playing a little bit in Wyoming. And then then I was, you know, I tried, I had a try out. I played one year a semi pro in Wisconsin, had a try out with the Washington Redskins, didn't make it, came back and I thought, I'm going to go get my degree. So I had like thirty credits left to get my degree. And Greg called me and he said, hey. He says, my you know, Cam Petera just came back from the Olympics, and my dad's going to train him. And then there's an Iranian, you know, amateur wrestler, Kasro Viziri is going to train him. And Bob Bruggers, who was a former Gofer football player and played in the NFL for about four or five years, is going to train him. And then he said, we got a schoolboy champ from Wisconsin who was in the private school. His name is Richard Fleer. He's going to train him. And he said would you would you consider it? And I thought, well, you know, and I said, Greg, I said, the only wrestling I did was in our mirrors, you know, And he says not, don't worry about it. He says, we're going to have Billy Robinson then, and I thought, well, I says, you know, I might as well do it. So and then at that time, when all of us were there, we had we had Oh it was it was miserable, but that's that's to be expected. And that's why all these camps were. When you wanted to be a pro wrestler, they made it real hard on you. So you know, they just wanted to test you and see if you could make it, you know. But you know Verne, you know, he had Billy Robinson beat the shit out of us for a couple hours and then and then he'd come in twenty minutes and then you know, hog tie you and cross face and everything else. But it was, you know, and I remember when he first sent me, he says, Jim, we're going to send you down to Kansas City to get it, get a little more experience. Well, I went down to Kansas City and I wrestled every single night, twice a night, and it was Bob Geigel and Pat O'Connor were the book is there and we were I wrestled every night and it was you know, and I was getting twenty five and thirty dollars a match, and I remember getting the check and it was one hundred and forty five dollars. And I worked ten times.
Speaker 1: There, Jim, I got, I gotta when you're on the subject, I got to ask you. You know, there's been interviews over the years where people talked about how Vern tried to cut in on the earnings of anybody he trained. He wanted ten percent. I remember reading one place that you or Ken Petera were like the only ones who actually gave a percentage of your earnings to Vern. What about that?
Speaker 3: I was the only one, the only person confront And the reason why is because I see it around here five years and they could just take it out of my check. The others Jenny left and everybody, Yeah, everybody left, and they never got to dying from Rick.
Speaker 1: So what was that conversation? Like, I'm sure at a certain point you're like Verne, do I really have to keep paying you. I mean, I'm just one of the boys.
Speaker 3: Well he said, he said, Now, you know, he never told us the deal on the contract. Never, he says, you know, he says, as time goes by, he is, let you know what we're going to do. So nobody knew, you know, and then everybody thought, well, he's going to let us go and you know, and or whatever. And then then when he said, okay, here's the deal. You know, you're gonna give me ten percent of the gross for five years, and I thought so. Then I found found out I was the only one that stayed in Minneapolis, and I thought, shit, I'm the only one who's paying him. So I can't remember it was fifty or sixty thousand dollars that I gave him, but you know, I could use the money he could have. So, you know, it was just and you know, see that's the way wrestling is, you know, I mean, it's just you very seldom to the guys. You know, the workers themselves have an opportunity to you know, be the head guy or you know, have be on top when it comes this or that. You know, so you're at the discretion of the promoter.
Speaker 1: And so you never had a conversation with Verne about not taking that percentage.
Speaker 3: Oh god, you know Greg said to me was just don't worry. Jimmy says he's going to give it back to when you're done with the five years. And he never did.
Speaker 1: All right, Okay, you were reading Ed Leslie's book Brutus beef Cake, and he was there with Hulk at the time. You remember Ed Boulder, Yes.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he was. He was like Hulk Cogan's second shirt. He was on his back all the time. Yeah, you know, he and you know this, You know Edie was good, you know, and he he but thank god that he you know, he knew Hogan because he wouldn't have gotten anywhere without Hulk. Holk made made made him a living for twenty years. You know.
Speaker 1: In his book he talks about going to the territory and in that closeness with Hull, which you know he'd be the first to knowledge that. Sure, he kind of painted as Greg being a little kind of jealous of his friendship with Hulk, and that Greg wanted to be closer to Hulk. I don't know how Ed came to feel that way. He tells a couple of stories in the book, did you observe that dynamic where no, no.
Speaker 3: No, no, I didn't. The only thing I know.
Speaker 5: That that Brutus was right next to Hulk the whole time, and you know, benefited from his friendship with Hulk and every place he went, you know, you know.
Speaker 3: Look at look at what happened to him, and you know on New York. I mean it was just you know, and I see dizzy yet you know once in a while, and he just you know, he he was very fortunate, you know, for his earlier years that that Hulk liked him, because, to be honest with it, he was you know, he had a good physique, but he couldn't really he didn't really have his own style, and you know, he I would say he was an average worker.
Speaker 1: And another thing Pulpe says in one of his books actually is that he kind of got the feeling that Verne was trying to set him up with Donna. Of course, Donna went on to marry Larry. Do you remember that at all?
Speaker 3: I have no idea, but it wouldn't have surprise me.
Speaker 1: Why not.
Speaker 3: I just just think that, you know, that's the mentality of Verne, you know, I mean, he had three daughters, and you know, Kathy got married and.
Speaker 1: Then maybe it was Kathy NB it is Kathy. He was trying to get set up with whoever.
Speaker 3: Was Yeah, well Kathy wound up being married to Larry's Ebisco. And then there was Donna and Beth, and you know, I don't know, I have really no idea. I remember that I think the girls, you know, it was probably hard. It was hard for Greg to be son Vern Guany, and I imagine the girls were finding it hard too, to be daughters.
Speaker 2: Yeah, did Vern ever give Greg a hard time? Like you know, be uh you know, you know, like you said, kind of being the son of Vern? Like, did did you notice Verne ever give Greg a hard time?
Speaker 3: No? But I think that Vern realized that he had so many enemies in the wrestling business that he didn't want to send Greg out. You know, I mean Greg wrestled two weeks in New York and sparingly elsewhere, but he never you know, he never went to Kansas City, he didn't go to North Carolina, didn't go to Texas, didn't go to California or nothing, because you know, Vern had had made himself not very well liked, you know, for the twenty four other promoters and pro wrestling because for one thing, they were jealous of Verne because he was a legit champion, and another thing, he was a prick. Know, it was a prick to the other promoters. You know, he said, well, we're going to do it my way, you know, this is this, and that it was always his way. So I think that Vern realized that he couldn't send Greg out because you know, he had more or less set a premise that if you know, Greg got out there, that you know, some of these promoters that say, okay, well you know, we're just going to rough up Greg, you know, because we can't do it to his dad. So and and I appreciate that too. I thought it was good that he didn't because there was a lot of animosity about Vern, you know, in the different territories.
Speaker 1: That he had such a wide geographical footprint that he felt very confident that he could force his way. Was it did he try to like skim people on money? Why did he have that reputation with the other promoters.
Speaker 3: Well, I think it was the fact that he you know, he was a national champion three times and credentials. Yeah, he was. He was and he you know, he he sort of you know, had that chip on his shoulder and and you know, he was I knew him, and I thought, you know what, I'm just going to stay away from him. You know, he's my boss. I'm just going to you know, tolerate and see what, you know, see our best I can do this, and then you know, hopefully I'll be able to you know, make a decent living. And then finally I just told him, I said, I got to leave. So you know, I booked myself down in Charlotte and was down there a couple of years, and then you know, I came back and then you know, to deal with Hulk. And then Hulk went to New York and I told him, I told, you know, Verne, I said, he, oh, I'm going to go, and he said, okay, go ahead, I'll let the door hitch, and.
Speaker 1: I'd say, corrected. It was it was Kathy Gune here that Hulk said Vern was trying to set him up with not done. Apologies for that, you said, you said, initially, Jim, it didn't surprise you, But I didn't quite grasp why that didn't surprise you, that Hulk would think he was trying to get set up with Kathy.
Speaker 3: Oh, I don't know. I think he was trying to just set up something that might be benefit to him. That's really what I think. You know, Yeah, makes sense, you know, I mean he was transactual.
Speaker 1: That's the word.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I think you just nailed it right there. Yeah, to a degree that that's the money word right there.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's it.
Speaker 1: So we're watching these promos from back then, and man, what a territory for talkers. Unbelievable stuff. I mean, the whole Vince had his whole crew right there just to pluck all these great talkers in Minneapolis. Can you take us back, Jim, to promo day when you did it, where you did it, how it went. Just take us through that part of the job.
Speaker 3: Well, we actually we did a couple on sites. We did Winnipeg TV after the matches, and then we did because that was separate TV for the Canadian you know, companies, and then we would do like on a Tuesday or Wednesday over the Tcienna eleven and we would you know, shoot, you know, like three hours, and then on Saturdays we would do a couple hours and then we'd actually make a couple tapes and that was basically, you know, they had I don't know how many cities they had, but you know it was, you know, probably fourteen the twenty towns that were running pretty good. And you know, I mean they had some big markets. They had Denver, and they had in Minneapolis, Saint Paul's, Chicago, and Winnipeg. And then Verne got himself into Toronto and then he got a partnership down in Saint Louis and you know, I mean it worked out good, and you know, there was it was a hop and little territory. I remember, you know, I think the most I ever made, you know, was a little over one hundred grand. And then you know when I went to New York, you know, they worked here, they worked, you know, twenty seven days a month. Brian and I worked twenty seven days and months for three and a half years, yeah, straight. And then you know people were wondering why guys were having drug problems, alcohol problems, sex problems. You know, I mean, it's just it was. It was really incredible. You know, the work schedule we had, and you know, we flew every single day. I tell I told us off to the pilot who was sitting next to me. You know. He said, oh, I see all the restlus here and he says, yeah, he said, where you're going. I said, well, we're going here. And he says, what's your schedule? Like I said, we fly every day And he says, you know, it's not healthy to fly every day. He says, he says that the pilots don't even fly every day, and I said, what we do?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I never thought about that, like the you know, with like the circulatory system and the blood.
Speaker 3: Sure.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's not good, especially for guys that were doing what they were doing in the eighties to be on a plane every day on top of it, that didn't.
Speaker 3: Help, especially the ones that had to have half a plane of because they were scared of flying.
Speaker 1: Scared. Oh yeah, yeah. There are many managers Jim Cornett talks about fear of flying. So so a promo day would just be Geneocland standing there and just one guy after another just step to the mic.
Speaker 3: Yep. Wow.
Speaker 1: How would you get a sense of what you were going to say? What was your process?
Speaker 3: Well, it basically was, you know, they had a team for us to work with, and then basically that team was the team we were going to work with and you know, the majority of the cities. And if it was Blackwell and Petera, if it was Bobby Duncombe and Jack Lands, Nick Barckwinkle and Ray Stevens, you know, that's what we would do. We would just you know, try to get them over as a heelled team and then just say, hey, you know, we're going to do our best and try to be as baby faced as possible, you know, without being braggadocious. And then you know, we did well. I mean, we were a good team, and and Brian and I were a good team and in New York, but it was just, you know, it was so hard in New York because it was so so demanding. And then you know, we did everything but get the belts and Well, to be honest with, Vince never liked me, and and consequently, you know, I didn't like him. We wound up suing him for the and we took a substantial amount of money from him. And then also, and I haven't told this so many people, but when when I left Minnesota, I got to New York, and you know, I did a couple of interviews and it's funny, We're in Poughkeepsie the first first day and they Jean did an interview with me, and you know, I'm a babyface interview. There's I'm not you know, I'm not feuding with anybody. And I did this, you know, rather babyface interview. And when I was done, as I was walking away, Vince says, oh god, we got another back.
Speaker 1: That's a shot.
Speaker 3: That's that's what I heard. And then I thought, well, Becklan's been the champion for two and a half years.
Speaker 1: I'll take that.
Speaker 3: But that's the way it was, you know, And I thought, oh Jesus, you know, oh god, it was just you know, and it was hard and thank God. I mean, you know, you know, Dean Oakland was the best there was and and and this is something that I mentioned to a lot of people. A lot of people ask me who was the greatest personality all around wrestler in the business during your time? And I said, you know what I said, I'm going to tell you what Hulk Hogan said on that same question. And they asked hul Hogan who was the best all around wrestler and he said, Bobby Heenan. He said that guy was incredible. I mean, he he he, you know, he he knew the business inside out. And he just knew what to do. His timing was great, is you know, his interviews were spectacular. And then you know, he just played the part so well and he was just magnificent. And you know, one time he had four or five guys that he was representing, you know, and he'd do interviews and he was he was he was something. He used to hate to fly small planes.
Speaker 1: Right, yeah, well some small planes.
Speaker 3: Yes, we had five nine one or five nine nine one niner.
Speaker 1: They call it death force one or something like suicidal.
Speaker 3: Well here's here's what Pampero Firpul, the wild Bull of the pumpaus. Yes, one time we were talking, we had a meeting, and he said to Vern, he says, he says, I don't like that plane. He says, it reminds me of a flying coffin.
Speaker 1: Did Hulk ever take the plane?
Speaker 3: Very so he flew? You know, first of all, he was too big to find that plane, you know, I mean we we had like five or six guys, and then Backwinkle was co pilot because he could fly, thank god, and then our regular pilot. But you know, a Hulk more or less, you know, they wanted him to fly. You know, he flew first class everywhere. Yeah, rightly, So you know, I mean that damn plane would have been way too small for him.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so he would take in the a W A Hulk would take commercial airlines. Yes, I got it. Okay, fascinating. So on those promo days, is Hulk watching other wrestlers do promos? Like, did you guys watch each other too?
Speaker 3: We all, I'll tell you what it was. It was like the ring was set up and there was some rows of chairs on one side of the ring, and then then there was an alley way where they had that you know, the setup and the backdrop and the curtains for the interview, and then they had jeans standing in the middle and then the heels would sit on one side and the baby babyface sit on the other. And then you know, when they knew they were coming up, they'd read out the order bah blah blah blah blah blah. You know, you know, they just come up and then they do you know, Chicago, or they do Milwaukee, or they do you know Saint Paul Minneapolis, and then they just go right down and we were done, you know, in probably two hours, and then then had the Restalan on TV. And then getting a small plane or commercial and flight either Milwaukee, Chicago or Green Bay and do a house show.
Speaker 1: Did you see like Verne or Greg or anybody like be hands on with Hulk? Like, all right, this is because everyone talks about how he changes style. JP talked about it already when he's in Awa and starts understanding of Babyface promo. Do you remember seeing that ever, like in practice of Hulp being kind of coached along on how to change the way.
Speaker 3: No, No, he whatever he did. Vern liked it because it was drawing great money.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but he was in a position. Hulk was in a position to kind of author it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, oh yes he was. He was his own man.
Speaker 1: There's an interview getting outside help at all and.
Speaker 3: He no, I don't know. No, I think you know, Nick Barckwinkel might have talked to him a little bit, but it was it was, you know, not to the point where he was saying, hey, do it this way or you know, it was just something that he'd add that would add to the interview.
Speaker 1: There's one with him and Jean where Jeans holding the mic and helps his shades on and he goes, oh, yeah, I'm on a roll and Jean says, you've been on a roll all day and you can you can tell they're talking about cocaine. I mean's very clear.
Speaker 3: Well, that used to be prevalent, but then all of a sudden, I mean not they were all. You know. That was one of the worst things about w w fis because they worked us so hard at it, you know, and guys were you know, always either using you know, any amphetamines or coke or whatever it was to get him through the night, you know. And then when I was rolling, Jim Duggan got got in Masbury Bark, you know, with an eight ball of coke. That was pretty hard to explain, and neither one of them got fired.
Speaker 1: Look, I mean, Jim, I get it for you know, getting through the night, but I also think it would help you on those promos to come in a little bust, right, Well.
Speaker 3: I think so. And and there was a lot of anthetmines too, you know. I mean there was a dexagreene and all, you know, and then the guys would break them in half. And you know, originally when you drove, we drove everywhere, Yeah, I mean we and you know, we had a couple of guys that fell asleep and got killed, you know, in a car accident. And then some of the doctors would say, you know, I don't want that to happen to me, So you know, they'd give them a script for you know, five milligram dexagene, you know, twenty or thirty of them, and you know, just say, hey, you know, I'm doing this for you, but don't abuse it, you know, So everybody abused it.
Speaker 1: So well, yeah, it's it definitely helped with those promos because I mean.
Speaker 3: Oh godness, yeah.
Speaker 1: Some of them are just so wild and you can't imagine them in the right mind coming off that way. Jesse years later did an interview with a Grand Bessinger, and heind of talked about how, like Hulk was, Hulk could get you some stuff in the aw a days, like he knew how to get help me get your hands on I guess presumably steroids, but maybe other drugs. Was that part of the deal, Do you remember kind of having connections?
Speaker 3: You know what I will I will say this, and this is the honest truth. I never saw Hulk. I know he used to smoke a lot of weed, yes, but and that was his main deal.
Speaker 1: Never know this isn't a secret.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, but I never you know, and I know that you know, he used a lot of steroids, you know, and he connections from La you know, at the Golds gym that you know, would take care of him. But as far as anything else, cocaine, you know, and he's sleeping, pills, pain pills, nothing. I never saw him, you know, talk to anybody about him or asked about it. It was, you know, it was just you know, he liked to smoke. He smoked that weed. And and then he had confided in me once one time he got a little carried away with the blow and he said, I realized that, you know, I'm not I won't be able to do that because it, you know, sort of overtakes me.
Speaker 1: Oh I see, so he went a little too far. Okay, Yeah, was that A W A Days or WWF do you remember? Roughly?
Speaker 3: I think it was before the A W A days even.
Speaker 1: Before Okay, so something already happened. Yeah, we talk about Gene. What would he What would he do? I mean just a classic, I mean, there will never be another. What would he do? To help you along? In interviews and the boys, like what role did he play that maybe we don't appreciate his fans to get you guys to do good.
Speaker 3: Promos, well, he would guide you through the promo if you were if you know, you know, he would you know, if say, for instance, I was wrestling Jerry Blackwell, he'd you know, talk about Jerry Blackwell's size and his demeanor and then he would guide you through the interview and I say, now, what are you going to do? You know, if he's four hundred pounds, if he does this, how are you going to counter that? I mean, he he he helped everybody you know where and see you know, you know, Jim, what are you gonna do against you know, Jerry Blackwell? You know he would he would preface it with a couple of sentences about strategy or whatever. And that's why he was the greatest.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, you're asolute, right, yeah, because you know, it's hard for us as fans to tell like what you guys are expecting to hear from Gene or whoever's holding the stick and what actually is improved and fed to you to get you to respond. So it's wild to hear that Gene would you know, come up with this stuff and you wouldn't even necessarily know it's coming, but lead you down a great Degrey.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he was. He was one in a million. Two.
Speaker 1: I'm so glad you mentioned Jerry Blackwell because we were so hungry for more detail on this on this guy, because, come to find out, as you might recall, he was absolutely pivotal to getting Hulk over as a baby face in the AWA. Hulk comes in, saves Brad Ringins from a beatdown in Milwaukee from Blackwell, body slaves bat Blackwell, and from then on until freaking nineteen ninety six, Hulk's the biggest baby face in the world. What what can you tell us about Jerry Blackwell? What he was like, what was his good traits, his bad traits? And Hulk using Blackwell's position in the company at the time to just skyrocket.
Speaker 3: Hang on here, I'm going to coughin. Jerry Blackwell was you know, I don't think he went past ninth grade. And you know, he was six feet and four hundred pounds, and he was a Georgia boy or whoever he was, and he was just you know, he he had great, great timing in the ring, and you know, for a guy four hundred pounds, he could move and he had he had good psychology, and he got over very well. And he you know, he knew that when he was dealing with Hulk that you know, if he had a good match, he's going to make a lot of money. So that's what happened. And you know, they they went around and and they had great match. And you know, Jerry was the type of guy that you know, even though he was here, you know, big in terms of being squatty, you know, he could still take bumps and he'd take bumps for a hook and let him slam him and back drop him and everything else. And and they just had a great match.
Speaker 1: Really did so, Jim, please let us know if you if you if you have to go. We got a couple more, but I don't want to abuse the privilege.
Speaker 3: Oh I got a couple. I got about ten more minutes.
Speaker 1: Okay, wonderful, JP. You want to jump into anything.
Speaker 3: I do need to know.
Speaker 2: I wanted to go back to uh to spending time at the at the house in Lake Minnetonka.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: What were what were dinners like at the at the at the gag the house.
Speaker 3: Well, Mary Guanya, Verne's wife was a hell of a cook, and they had a beautiful house, honestly, gud, I mean it was. It was probably a million and a half dollars, you know, and it was right on the lake shore and they had, you know, two hundred feet of lake shore and it was right on Lake Minnetonka, and they had like three boats. And I remember going over there a couple of times and I got holy smokes, you know. I mean they're sit down dinners, you know, and they had a real nice, real nice you know, just they bought out to find china and they impressed me. I mean it was nice and I appreciated the fact. And you know, like ver Insu's, you know, he was cooking steak and they had these little filets that were probably four ounces, and he says, go ahead, have so I had like four of them, you know, because I loved filet and they were done. He had it. He hired a cook to cook him and the cook them and then he had lobster on the other barbecue, and you know, he'd just say, if you want to beer, fine, a glass of wine, fine, but you know, don't overdo it. So I, you know, I have a glass of wine. But he was he was very cordial, and you know, he was a kind and he was a smart guy, and he knew what he had to do to cement the relationship between him and his talent, and he did it.
Speaker 1: That was part of it. The house visits. That's what we're so lucky that The Wrestler got made in nineteen seventy four with that asner because we can see it. Yes, Verne puts that in the movie. You know, you guys are all sitting at the table. He says, my wife makes great lamb chops. Was that one of Mary's specialties? You remember? It probably was yeah, little little mint jelly maybe.
Speaker 3: Or no, oh god, yes, And you know, I got to tell you there was a place in Winnipeg. It was called High Steak Lost and it's in Toronto and I think Montreal, and their specialty was wreck a lamb and we Greg and I would split one and then we each have one and then would split a third. And it was absolutely to die for god, it was so good. And they had mint jelly, yeah, and it was just and I remember, well, here's another deal too up in Winnipeg. And and Verne was generous, even though you know, he was the promoter and they had a record house there and they had I think there was fourteen guys that he had at high stake left and Andrea was on the cart, and they had the biggest house they ever had. It was two hundred and some one thousand dollars, you know, and usually you know, a good house there was you know, eighty five to ninety five thousand, but this was over two hundred and so Andre who was a wine lover, and they had the special wine up. There was a sparkling rose. It was called Royal Dunaville. They drank twenty four bottles of it at that table. God, yeah, it was like thirty bucks a bottle.
Speaker 1: And normal behavior.
Speaker 3: And Andre must have he must have drank three himself. And it was I you know, as a matter of fact, I fancied this damn wine too. And every time I could, I try to, you know, bring home as much as they could, you know, as the customs, you know, and sometimes they'd only let's to have a bible of it or you know, and then then you had to put it in your bag. You couldn't carry it on. So but it was you know, and that's and Thurn was generous you know in that respect, you know, And everybody you know, had a great time, and then you know, they'd say, well, let's wait until we get paid, but go ahead.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the story of Hulk and AWA two is like he came in Rocky three, was going and that any catapult to a whole other level. But the truth is the movie didn't come out until May of nineteen eighty two, and he came into Minneapolis in August nineteen eighty one, so he was already turned face super over, one of the biggest hands in the territory and in the country at the time before the movie even hit the screens. Do you remember how much of a difference it made that that movie came out to how over Hulk was, you.
Speaker 3: Know what I think it added, but he was already there. I mean, the people, the wrestling fans, you know, and not that they don't go to MOVI, but they probably went to the movie to see Hulk COVID, you know, the wrestling fans did, and it just sort of compounded his you know, his fans in terms of him being over you know, he just you know, the people would I mean when when when I used to bring him to these little nightclubs and the spand our friends were playing that. How could come in there and they you know, he'd have to have the they'd have to have special guards around him, you know, because you know, people would always want pictures and sign autographs and everything. And then and then how could come up and down going through those changes? And he played the bass. I'm trying to think of the of the guy who made that popular.
Speaker 1: But so you're saying Hulk in these night clubs would take grab the bass and play it, or.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he grabbed the bass guitar.
Speaker 1: Well, that must have been so fascinating to see him get that over. I mean, did did it feel different walking into a club with him versus anybody else in?
Speaker 3: Oh? God? Yes, he was, you know, I mean he was. He was like having Bruce Springsteen walking into the bar with you, you know, yeah, I mean he was just the people love them.
Speaker 1: What was it, Jim? I mean, you're such a respected, longtime veteran, You've been to so many places, you've seen guys get over. Why did the fans just say, even though he was presented as a heel at first, this is our guy.
Speaker 3: I think he had he had a little bit of humility that he showed, and I think along with the you know, the persona of you know, being Hull Cogan. You know, he mixed in that little bit of humanity that that people saw in him and you know realized that, hey, he's one of.
Speaker 1: Us, one of us, but also someone quite special. So Jim Brenzel, unbelievable reflections on the aw eightt the time Hulk arrives. You've helped the much understand what it was like in that territory at a pivotal point for this one of a kind career. And we can't thank you enough for giving us some time.
Speaker 3: Well, I appreciate it. It's always fun to talk about that. And carry was a wonderful guy. And I missed his funeral because my wife and I had a fiftieth anniversary up in Canada. We were on a cruise and then I came back and I found out that he passed. And then a day later I got COVID and I couldn't go down there, and I was just sick because he was such a close friend. And you know, I talked to I didn't talk to Linda, but I talked to you know, Brian, who was probably one of Oaks's closest friends. And I just said hey, you know, tell everybody I'm sorry. I couldn't make it, but Mary and I, you know, I got COVID, so I felt bad. And you know, everybody asked about him, and I said, hey, he was what he was. He was, you know, the greatest performer of my air in the ring