Speaker 1: You're listening to episode sixty eight of game Spot After Dark. This week, we're taking a look at Calli's review of Call of Dooty Black Ops Cold War and to Moore's review of Demon Souls. On top of that, wrestle buddies Matt Elfring and Chris Hayner will join me to talk about the new AEW game that just got announced. Hello, and welcome to episode sixty eight of GameSpot After Dark, GameSpot's official video game podcast. I'm your host, Jake Decker, and joining me this week is Lucy James, Hello, Tomorrow's saying Hi, and Kellie Plagy Hello. This week's episode is going to be a little bit short because we are going to skip what we've been playing, because what we've been playing are games that just got reviewed, and fortunately we've got both the reviewers for said games here, So with that in mind, we're going to move right onto the topics this week. But before we do that, I do want to shout out. This weekend is our extra live stream. Some things have changed around a little bit. We were going to do a seventy two hour stream, but we've scaled it back to twenty four hour. We've scaled it back.
Speaker 2: I think we I think, well, so probably overall, once it's all done, it'll be more like fifty something. This weekend is twelve hours.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, So basically what's going to happen is that we're going to have one twelve hour stream that's planned out, and that's going to be the main extra live stream. After that, the following week we are going to stream individually after work, during our off time and whatnot through the game spot Twitch. So if you want to, if you want to donate, if you want to hang out, be sure to follow game Spot's switch account and just check our social media becuse I'm sure we're going to be tweeting about it. But we have some cool ideas planned for that initial twelve hour live stream, and then I think we have some cool ideas for these shorter mini live streams, Like in particular, I think we might stream one of our fas Momphobia sessions because those are always off the rails and a lot of fun. And as well as that, maybe we'll do some demon souls maybe tomorrow, do some metal gear.
Speaker 3: We should do some overwatch time.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, yeah, we should do the bottom of the Losers League crew.
Speaker 2: We were playing a few nights ago, and we were playing on PC with like Andy Cortez and James Williams and a couple of others, and we were doing so badly.
Speaker 5: That we decided to turn the league upside down.
Speaker 4: So we were aiming to be at the bottom of the league as quickly as possible.
Speaker 2: And it was surprising how much we managed to hit that goal.
Speaker 3: I think we I think legit.
Speaker 2: We won one game and it was the final one and we all just know we're done, We're out.
Speaker 1: Well, that sums up my entire experience with Black Ops called for multiplayers so far.
Speaker 6: Yep.
Speaker 1: But that being said, the two games we're going to talk about this week are, of course Demon Souls two more you reviewed that and Call of Duty Black Ops Cold War, or as we like to call it, Cod Blops cow Well it is Lucy was only said that and it's Stuck, but Kelly reviewed that. What do you guys want to start with? What do you think we should talk about?
Speaker 6: First?
Speaker 3: Yak is a like a dragon.
Speaker 1: All right, let's start with that.
Speaker 3: It's a great game. You should all play it.
Speaker 1: We talked a little bit about it last week. I gotta play more of it. I haven't had time, but yeah, it's it's very good.
Speaker 4: Every time I think about yakas I like a dragon, I think about the character's main main characters name Ichipon, and then I think about Joey Tribani's advert for Ichibon lipstick for men from Friends Psycho. So yeah, that's my impression of ya because I like a dragon.
Speaker 6: Hic.
Speaker 1: There you have.
Speaker 3: That's the podcast.
Speaker 1: Why don't we start with Call of Duty? Yeah, Kelly, you're reviewing this game. Technically, your review isn't live yet, but you have a review in progress and you're actively playing it. However, by the time this goes up, your review should be live.
Speaker 7: Yeah. Yeah, So the reviewing progress focused heavily on the campaign, which I really enjoyed. I think it's like it's so different from Modern Warfare, which I think is really self serious. And you know, the further away I got from that game, the more I disliked it, whereas I thought Cold War is a lot more fantastical. It's just kind of like like you're just back on your bullshit. It's what it feels like to me, and you can't really write that into review. So I wrote a lot of words about why I had fun with it. There's like a level in particular, I would say it's like halfway through the campaign that I think is like so cleverly done and really fun and different from the rest of the levels where you're inside a KGB building and I don't know, there's just a lot of like spy bullshit. That's that's like I just really really enjoyed, even though like, yeah, I think it's funny to goof on Ronald Reagan or whatever. People have been like dunking on the non binary character option, which I think is just from a place where they don't understand what it actually does in the game, which is just make sure they use the right pronouns when they talk about you in the third person. It's not like a big deal at all, but like it's so far from reality in my opinion that I just got to have fun with it and it didn't make me think about like sad and bad things. So I appreciated that the bar is so low. But it's actually good multiplayer, you know, like I'm still playing that. I've been having a lot of server issues, so that's been kind of delaying the review a little bit, which is just you know, to be expected because obviously this is not just a cross platform game, it's also a cross generation game that was released during a pandemic. So like, I'm not going to be too upset about some server issues, but I really liked Combined Arms. Like Combined Arms.
Speaker 3: As a mode.
Speaker 7: It's like, I think it does ground war a lot better than ground War did in modern warfare. Like it's a bigger I think it's twelve y twelve vehicle focused, objective based thing, but I found it a lot snappier than ground War. I didn't care for ground War very much, and so I'm enjoying that a lot. There's one map that I think is so clever where it's just like a bunch of ships and you can get on like a it's not quite a jet ski, I don't know what you would call it, but some like little speedboat thing and then do yeah, sure, I like the.
Speaker 2: Way I think that's a ski thing, like a like a jet ski of the snow.
Speaker 7: They do have that snowmobiles in some levels.
Speaker 5: A jet ski snow episode title this.
Speaker 4: Week that's ironically it sounds like a like a Demon Souls character. Hello, it's me, my name is My name is author I am the jet ski of the snow.
Speaker 7: That's the vehicle I'm taking straight to hell. Yeah, you get on like a speedboat, or you can get in like a boat with a turret, so you can pilot, pilot, captain drive. Do you drive boats. I don't know a lot about maritime anything, maritime law.
Speaker 1: All I know is you can get away with anything on the open sea.
Speaker 5: Don't threaten me with a maritime.
Speaker 3: See the blue pot is the land.
Speaker 7: Something something because of the implication anyway, so taking a swig. Sorry, absolutely, we're just this has been a fun train wreck of a minute here. But anyway, Yeah, you can like use the ships like many boat things to get from ship to ship where there's different objectives And my dog is barking and it's really distracting me. But the point is it's a clever integration of vehicles that I found really fun. And like I said, I think it just embraces like the back on our bullshit kind of vibe I'm getting from Cold War where it's just like having a good time. You know, may or may not be committing war crimes, but if we are, they they didn't exist in real life, so that's nice and there's and there's stiplines.
Speaker 2: Man, I ask a question about a character from the campaign because I haven't played it yet.
Speaker 3: Is that Robert Redfood?
Speaker 7: I am not good with actors.
Speaker 2: It looks so much like Robert Redfood that I was like, this is one way to get me involve.
Speaker 7: If you want to know what songs are featured in the campaign that I'm able to pick out, but not an actor's case. We got the song stroke Me, which was featured on the Blades of Glory soundtrack. Oh nice, I just dropped an image of potential of actual Robert Redford. Okay, I'm gonna click on this picture of it looks like him, but it's not him.
Speaker 5: Okay, definitely looks like Activision.
Speaker 3: You've lost a customers.
Speaker 7: Oh and you got some Steppenwolf in the Vietnam flashback of course, damn game.
Speaker 6: You know.
Speaker 7: When I saw that, I was like, because I wrote I had to like write the words Steppenwolf in my review because I didn't know how else to describe that moment. And then that news came out and I was like, wait, did I get the name of that band wrong? And then I had to like look it up again.
Speaker 5: No, was what was the.
Speaker 2: Did they use the same song they used in Black Ops? Because I think they used rolling Stones, right, sympathy for the Devil, I want to say, in the Vietnam and they used I don't think there's any rolling Stones.
Speaker 1: I always just whenever there's a Vietnam scene, I always just assume it's going to be Creeden's clear Water, yeah or yeah, like that's always where my brain goes in like ninety five percent of the time.
Speaker 5: That's right.
Speaker 1: But yeah, this is this is not them, but Steppenwolf like is almost like they sound very fair and it works.
Speaker 7: It's in the same family. I also, I was really worried about the Vietnam flashbacks because that kind of thing gives me a lot of pause. But I think there's once again bullshit Black Ops reasons for it that I was just like, all right, whatever, I'm on board.
Speaker 3: So yeah.
Speaker 7: And then Zombies, which said about zombies because I've been playing a lot of that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Well, I mean I didn't want to talk a little b about the campaign too, because I did play through it and I feel the same way. I really enjoyed it. I thought it was a lot of fun. It definitely was more enjoyable than Modern Warfare's campaign. I think Modern Warfare had some standout moments that I preferred, like that part where you're like where you can choose which objective you want to take out at night or which objective you want to do in which order at night with the night vision.
Speaker 5: Like I thought that mission was cool.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Like that mission was really cool. But one thing I really liked about the campaign this time around were the side missions because of how you had to I guess you could run them. You didn't need to, like there were ways to do them properly. You could just run them and just mess them up, or you could solve these little codes in order to figure out like what your who your targets are, or what exactly you're going after. And they give you a bunch of evidence and you have to cross reference the evidence and figure out a pattern that works and like solve passwords and stuff. It feels really cool, like it's simple. But I don't know, I really liked how it worked. It just felt like a neat little wrinkled to the normal call of duty madness that happens. And there is a lot of that. There's a lot of just like running and shooting and blowing things up, but I really like the quiet moments. And there's quite a bit in this game which surprised me.
Speaker 7: It's the first Call of Duty game I've ever played where I had to write down clues to a puzzle in my note Yeah.
Speaker 1: I had to do that too.
Speaker 4: I love the idea of thinking of your notebook and it's just the word gone fire, question mark.
Speaker 5: How long are your real last puzzle? How long is the campaign again? Did you say it's like five hours?
Speaker 1: Maybe?
Speaker 7: Music to my ears, I ran it twice because there's two. There's two like main endings, and then there's, like Jake said, some side stuff where you can do if you do the puzzle and you solve the puzzle correctly, you get like the true ending of that side story, or you can like just do it and then like it's like, oh, if we don't solve this, the spy ring will stay intact or whatever. And I don't think it actually like does anything to the story, but it's just like another like wrinkle that is kind of laid out for you at the end, like the things you did or didn't do. I will say that, Yeah, before I know, God, I'm all over the place. Sorry, but I do want to go back to the campaign to just to say that I do think that one of the endings, like the is like the like ostensibly the bad ending, because it's just like it makes you do some stuff that was like I was like, I don't want to do this. I feel so bad, Like it just makes you be the bad guy. And it's like so over the top and ridiculous that it's like whatever, but it it. The end result of it is that basically America does some bad stuff in the game that it could like it would be fair if you were another country to be like, wow, America, you really shit the bed on this one. That was not a cool thing that you did in the fifties. And then and then, but everybody in your squad is like, oh my god, if this thing happens, America is gonna be blamed. And I was like, yeah, I sure hope it does. And but like nobody seemed to nobody in the game seemed to think like, yeah, America really did screw up.
Speaker 3: This is a bad.
Speaker 5: Thing atrocities ahead, Yeah, I sure hope it does.
Speaker 1: There would have been such a good opportunity to explore that because in between missions, you go to your safe house where you talk to your crew members and you can pick dialogue options and ask them about different things, and that seems like the perfect place to address that. You even have someone from six and you'd imagine the person from Mi Sex would be like, Wow, you guys really mess this up, can't you.
Speaker 5: Oh you fucked it in it exactly.
Speaker 1: Yeah, But but that just kind of doesn't happen. Everyone just takes it as is. They're like, oh, we gotta stop the bad guy because the bad guy is going to do bad things with the thing we lost.
Speaker 7: Yeah, So so that that part I was kind of like, ah, you almost had me. It's it's so clear. It's like so clear that at least one person on that writing team is like really trying their hardest to like examine America's role in the world stage and American military religion as a concept, and like, you know, it's so clear that like and like even the I know, like like I said, I know people are goofing on the non binary character option, but like I do think that's like, hey, at least you get to like choose the pronouns that you're referred to, and like I think that can make someone more comfortable if they're listening. Like even like I always hated playing as male characters just because I don't know, I just wanted to be a girl in the game. So like I understand what kind of gesture that is. I So it's like it's like one day you're gonna get it. Man, you almost there. I really trying.
Speaker 4: When you said one person is trying, I had an image of one person writing and then looking up and then every other member of the writing team like holding fidget spinners.
Speaker 6: Like one thing I.
Speaker 1: Did, like two about the creative character sort of thing at the beginning. It's it's not super in depth, but you pick your pronouns, you pick your name. But I really liked that you were able to pick your name because it was kind of cool to start every Call of Duty mission where it would show like like it was like Jake Decker, Jake Bell Decker because that's what the player character's name is, Bell, and then it would like cross him out like they were they were classified. Yeah, And I don't know, it was just kind of cool because it's like I have played probably twenty Call of Duty games at this point. I don't know, maybe not that many, but I played lots of Call of Duty games, and there was something cool about just seeing my name show up instead of like soldier Resnov and.
Speaker 5: It always, it always gives you the middle name Bell.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because it's like.
Speaker 5: My new character Tackle.
Speaker 3: I was gonna say, I was gonna say, if your surname was.
Speaker 2: Endle Bell.
Speaker 5: Is the episode title. I think we figured it.
Speaker 3: Out quick, quick, tangent.
Speaker 7: My dad's name is Garrick, and in Modern where is this? In Modern Warfare, one of the characters is named Grek, and he thought that was so freaking cool.
Speaker 1: So so now we all get to last year.
Speaker 7: My dad felt my dad, I was like, I could I hate I don't like making it my name.
Speaker 3: I don't like my name.
Speaker 7: So I was like, Dad, what's a cool eighties name? And he was like, Agent Orange.
Speaker 3: So I was Orange.
Speaker 7: So that's what I went with because I didn't I couldn't think of anything. Yeah, I totally get that, Jake. I love seeing my own name in video games.
Speaker 3: I love it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, I mean like it wasn't that, Like I don't know, I've seen my name in plenty of games, right, like Pokemon. I always picked my name, but it was just need to see that. In Call of Duty, Yeah, totally. It's always like whatever soldier you are, but this time it actually like your name pops up and that kind of took me by surprise. That is kind of cool, Like I feel a little more connected to what's going on here with the explosions and gunfires gun fighters. But we should probably talk a little bit about zombies before we move on to Demon Souls, because zombies has been pretty fun, even though it has been having the bulk of the issues, at least from my experience.
Speaker 7: We spend probably no less than fifteen minutes troubleshooting before we even get into a match, because.
Speaker 1: And then we'll get into the match and someone will get kicked right at the beginning, and we'll back.
Speaker 7: To something well, because half of us are on PS five and half are on Xbox Series X. And then we were trying to play with Mike Maharty, friend of the show, who is on PS four, and that just never listened to this show.
Speaker 5: I was not a friend of the show.
Speaker 6: He's just.
Speaker 7: Uh, Mike Mahardy is playing on PS four currently, and we couldn't even get in a game with him. I think we spent an hour trying to start a game. Then eventually we were like, all right, good night, goodbye, Mike.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, we're going.
Speaker 2: On We're going offline. Uh yeah, I got what Tomas. Actually see you still online.
Speaker 7: Because Mike left the call and nobody else left the call, and we were like, so, uh we're gonna try again.
Speaker 1: And it worked.
Speaker 7: We love you, Mike, even though you don't listen to the show so you won't hear this.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 7: So we would have like a lot of trouble with Zombies two. So I'm framing it kind of like it's a cross play issue, but it's actually not. I had the same issue when playing with John Luke and Phil Who in the pre release period on PS five, So it's just a matchmaking issues. Basically, it's not matchmaking if you're solo matchmaking and to multiplayer that works fine in my experience. It's partying up that is really difficult. Obviously we are because of these difficulties. We've just been using Discord. So I have like one earbut in one ear and then I cover it with my headphones so I can hear the game, and then my ear hurts. So it's just it's not elegant, but we figured it out mostly, but we're I'm having a lot of fun with Zombies. I've I've played a lot of Zombies. I've never felt like I was terribly good at it, and I actually feel like I'm improving. I also brought in my brother, who is like super stupid good at video games to like train me, and I feel like that helped a lot.
Speaker 3: But we we.
Speaker 7: Have like a rhythm down now, which is kind of like the first hurdle is first hurdle is learning the map and like learning the order you need to do things in or something like that, making Okay, yeah, the first hurdle is part Once you got that, then you got to learn the map. We've learned the map, we know the steps we need to take, and now it's just kind of like how long can we survive? And then I think the step after that is like actually trying to figure out what the hell is going on. I never know what's going on in Zombies, and I you know, I know that we're in a former Nazi facility.
Speaker 1: I think, yeah, so this map is actually built around the very first Zombies map from World at War, which is pretty cool. I don't think it's the first time they've revisited this map. I'm pretty sure they've done it at least two or three times now. That being said, though, I do really like this map because it's not it doesn't rely super heavily on that area, like you literally just passed through the old area as you try to get to other areas. But I also really like it because it doesn't feel too big, which is something that zombies kind of suffered with later down the line, like their only answer to making new maps, which is make them bigger. I mean, to be fair, the last one I really played was Black Ops Too. Maybe they've kind of scaled it back a little bit since the modern warfare.
Speaker 3: Had a stupid big one.
Speaker 7: The Gladiator or what.
Speaker 5: You mean Black Ops four?
Speaker 1: Right? Oh?
Speaker 7: Do I mean?
Speaker 3: I do mean Black Ops for too? Yeah?
Speaker 1: So yeah, I really like the size of this because it feels pretty manageable. I've got a good idea in my head where everything is, and it just seems to work a lot better. Other than that, like, there's some good quality of life stuff too that they've added for zombies, which makes it fun. Like, honestly, zombies, to me, I feel like raids just because they require a lot of coordination and whoever you're with, like it's someone you can trust and it's a lot of fun I don't know doing that.
Speaker 7: And it's also such a good way because there's cross progression across all the modes. It's a great way to experiment with new weapons. I feel like, like multiplayer, I'm so disincentivized from using new weapons because I start out with no attachments at level one, and because you're just getting stuff out of the mystery, but you're just buying weapons off the wall. It's a good way to like start getting attachments for your weapons. You can then take them into multiplayer and have a little fun with that. So I like that aspect. There's like boss zombies. They're like made of radioactive weights. Sure farts.
Speaker 1: I got green smoke coming out of it.
Speaker 7: They do according to cars, so according to cartoon rules, they might be made of farts.
Speaker 5: Because my thoughts run away.
Speaker 7: And at first we were like, these guys are a nuisance, but we figured out how to like handle them better and have more success with that. I haven't even talked about the dual sense at all. Can I talk about the dual sense really quickly? I think a lot of people have been talking about it, but you really feel it in call of duty with the weapon handling, so like left triggers aiming down sites. Depending on the type of weapon you're using, and like how hefty it is, the resistance will go up. So like a snappier weapon, you don't have a lot of resistance on the trigger poll for ads, but you have a lot more for like a sniper rifle or a larger weapon, which I think is really cool. It just adds weight to the weapon. And then on the right trigger you have the same kind of pull resistance based on the firepower and the recoil, and you also get some like almost like reverb like haptic feedback for to kind of like emphasize the fire rate. And different weapons do feel different to use, and that's really cool. Like even if you're like switching between two weapons so rapidly you like lose check of which weapon you're using, it's easy to figure out, like, oh, I'm using my MP five right now because it doesn't feel like the AKA, and so I just find that like little bit of feedback it helps give the weapons more dimension and feel even more distinct than each other from each other. And no, it's not like a make or break feature to me necessarily, but I do really think like it helps inform the weapons I'm going to use, and it effect like I just have like a favorite feel now. So it's really interesting and I think it's done really well. I do think I mentioned this in my review, but I do think like, if you're really competitive at Call of Duty, you'd probably turn all that shit off because it would get in the way of you, like the one second millisecond difference or whatever. But if you're just here to have a good time, like I am, I'm like, cool, the gun feels heavy.
Speaker 1: I really want to try it out because I got it on Xbox to play multiplayer with friends. Turns out I don't like the multiplayer in this game at all. So now I'm like, yeah, I should have got it on PlayStation five so I could have tested out those those triggers.
Speaker 7: Can you expand on why you don't like it? Because I know so for context, Jake plays Modern Warfare like multiplayer every day.
Speaker 1: I think it's that I decided, for some reason to play a lot of Modern Warfare. I haven't played this that much Call of Duty in a very long time, so coming to Black Ops it feels like a step down in a lot of ways in terms of multiplayer, Like I think Zombies is far better than Spec Ops in that in modern warfare, and I think the story in Black Ops is better. But multiplayer just I don't know, it just doesn't feel right. It feels it feels a little too stiff. And they take out a lot of mechanics that they added in Modern Warfare that I thought added a nice touch. For example, for example, you can't mount anymore, you can't double tap the sprint button to give yourself a little extra boost. There's no fire rates selector all these are little things, but for me personally, they've added up to just an experience that doesn't feel as tight as last year's multiplayer outing did. That being said, would I have caught any of this if I, you know, didn't play that game almost every single day, like probably not. I probably would have played more Black Ops. But the other thing with Black Ops to our Black Ops Cold War is that I can't get a win, Like I'm maybe I'm just bad, but I literally can't get a win. I'm at like two and thirty or something like that, which is the worst that I've ever had in a Call of Duty game. Like I'm not great at Call of Duty, but usually I end up with like a fifty to fifty win loss ratio. But right now I'm at like two and thirty and I'm like, yeah, now this game, this game's not for me.
Speaker 2: But I just apparently, Yeah, so you said that there are all these differences in how it plays.
Speaker 3: Where does war Zone fit into this?
Speaker 1: Like war Zone is the same, It's been like taken from one and put in the other.
Speaker 2: Right, so you can so you can basically just have it and you can just access it through like if you have both, if you have the riches to have a hard drive big enough to have Modern Warfare and Black Cod Blobs Cow, I guess, yeah, so you can just access that.
Speaker 3: From both games. Yeah, but it is still plays like Modern Warfare.
Speaker 1: It just launches war Zone, which is like it's it's stand alone kind of a separate game, but not really it Yeah.
Speaker 7: It's separate enough that like we reviewed it separately for example, so like that's not included in the.
Speaker 3: Black Ops Cold War the COW review.
Speaker 7: And also I can't get it to launch because my PS five is having a lot of difficulties differentiating between PS four and PS five files, and part of that is apparently being unable to download war Zone.
Speaker 3: Oh so you have you've got the download bug.
Speaker 7: I like just can't even it doesn't even like. I've tried launching it in the PS five, like doesn't even believe it's real.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I had that with Ghost of Sushima. There was an up there's an update file that I can't get because it gets caught in the download Q bug, And so I'll hit it download it says, go to check you downloads.
Speaker 3: I got my downloads. It immediately says this is an era.
Speaker 1: Yep.
Speaker 2: I've tried it from my British account. I've tried it for my American account. I've put it on the internal hard drive. Used on an external hard drive works fine on my PS four.
Speaker 3: It's so weird.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 1: See, I haven't had any of these issues because I've only been playing Demon Souls on my PlayStation five.
Speaker 6: Two more.
Speaker 1: You have View Demons. What a segue, big picture? You gave it a nine.
Speaker 5: How does it make you feel?
Speaker 4: It makes me feel good, makes me feel happy, It makes me feel things are okay in the world. Be Yeah, it makes me feel loved. By Michael Zaki and and the people at Blue Point.
Speaker 7: What about that dirty feet girl.
Speaker 4: Though she's I won't say anything about her feet specifically, but she's a nice lady. She helps me out. You know, if you're into the feet, more power to you. If you're into the dirt on the feet, less power to you.
Speaker 5: Grow up.
Speaker 4: But yeah, it's it's a fun that's the game. I'm I'm kind of slightly bemused that the idea that a from Software Soul's game is a launch title for a new console, let alone it being Demon Souls. Like if you had asked me, if you had told me From Software is going to release a game as a launch title, what is it? I would probably have said Dark Souls or maybe Eldern Ring or you know, Bloodborn to or Secure or two or something like that.
Speaker 5: But never in a million years what I thought of like Demon.
Speaker 4: Souls, because in many ways, it's like the unrefined vision of what they eventually kind of work their way towards and continue to work the way towards with Dark Souls and Blood Born and various other games. It's the it's the promordial soup in which all Souls games have been created from. But yeah, it's it's an amazing game. But I think the most I think it's what I mentioned in my review is like the more impressive thing is like how well Bluepoint have translated it to the modern day. And it's not just ah, they took what they were from software, laid out and kind of like polished it up and put it out there. No, there's a I think people are underestimating amount the amount of their own creativity that Bluepoint put into this. You go back to Demon Soars and there's a lot of flat textures in that game. There's a lot of like just grays and greens that are just completely unremarkable in every way, and they were like amazing back in the day because they helped establish mood and ambience. And back in the day it looked nice, but the amount of it was very much like a blank canvas for anyone else to come up and you know, paint on. And the fact that Blue Point came over and they've just added so much rich detail into into the game that doesn't feel out of place and feels like it was always there and was always.
Speaker 5: Meant to be there is like.
Speaker 4: Just an incredible feat And yeah, it's just an example incredible and it just speaks to how I don't know, I always have this kind of like I don't feel bad for them, but I don't know. I just have this feeling where Bluepoint gets like just not written off, but like put in the bucket, where like they make other people's games, and I always worry that there's there's some like contingent of people there that are like, yeah, but we can make our own stuff too, and like, this isn't a game there is There has been rumors for many, many many years I think now or months sorry, like they are making their own thing. And this is an example of like, this studio isn't just good at remaking games or rebuilding games. This studio is a genuinely creative and talented group of people who understand the art of crafting worlds and narratives and that kind of stuff. You can't just give this game to anyone and put out and let them remake it. The fact that you know, we had a HD version of Dark Souls and that was perfectly fine, but it was very much by the numbers. We've cleaned this up and made it sharp. This is this is like one of those restoration paintings, except it's done right instead of like that weird messed up face one that keeps going around the internet.
Speaker 7: You mean, like the videos that Lucy and I watch people who restore.
Speaker 3: Yeah, shout out to bomb Gardner.
Speaker 5: Restoration board restorations.
Speaker 4: This Blue Point Games is the bomb Gardener Restorations of the games industry.
Speaker 5: So that's where we're at.
Speaker 4: And it's just like phenomena in terms of mood tone, just and a great example of Sony.
Speaker 5: It reflects really well on Sony.
Speaker 4: I think, just an understanding of what is going to entice the broadest market of gamers, like broadest group of gamers, like having you imagine they want to hit the major milestones right or major tastes when they release a new console. There's a platformer there, there's third party shooters, there's you know, a racing game on the way. And the fact that Souls is now reached the point where it's an important genre to have represented when you're launching a new console. Is it's just music to my ears as someone who imported Demon Souls from Asia and like took a chance on it when it first came out and has been like singing its praises since that day. Like for it to reach this far, it's just like it's surreal and amazing. I'm not saying like.
Speaker 5: Oh I was first first.
Speaker 4: I'm not first person on on YouTube videos, but like first, I was there at the start and.
Speaker 5: Like it genuinely. It makes me sentimental to like see where it's come.
Speaker 4: And I think about all that time that I went through trying to convince people that it was amazing and amazing genre to check out and like it was something that was going to change video games, and to reach the point now where it has and it's now, you know, triple A game being sold alongside a brand new PlayStation, it's just phenomenal.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I mean, I think it's honestly the perfect game to launch a console with because the people who want that game are clamoring for it, right, Like they're gonna want to go out and buy a console any way they can so they can play it. Sure, it's not quite a game for everyone, but like I said, I think the people who are interested are going to make sure to get a PlayStation to get it, and it makes more sense to launch that now. I feel like than I don't know, a couple of years down the line, when you know there's Horizon and these other like Triple A more broad appeal Sony Games, which is why I think it was like a super smart move to come out swinging with that game. And it also, just like you're saying, it really does appeal to I don't want to say the hardcore fans, but the early adopters of these consoles. That being said, Lucy, you've been playing it too, have you been getting.
Speaker 3: On I'm doing doing well.
Speaker 2: So just as Callie was talking about the Jewel Sense in with regard to cod Blobs Cow, the Jewel Sense is really good in Demon Souls and now, Jake, you've just been working on a feature all about it.
Speaker 3: But like Demon Souls for me was.
Speaker 2: The game where I thought so I thought playing Miles Morales like was a really great like use case for the headset and for through the audio and for the Jewel Sense, And then you played Demon Souls and the moment that really got me. I was in the mindes Stonefang and there are these little orbs that explode on if you get too near them, and I just wasn't paying attention. I think I was like checking my phone because I thought I'd cleared all the areas, like everyone out of the area, and this mine car rolled up and like stopped next to me, and then it exploded, and it exploded with such ferocity that like I genuinely like jumped because the Jewel Sense just goes like like well silently because it doesn't make any sound, but like the Jewel Sense just like vibrated so violently, and then the sound coming through the headphones as well, because like Demon Souls, I will absolutely just play with my headset on because it just sounds so good and it's really good. Tam, You're talking about it in something last week, I can't remember if it was it was Gen Next, and you were saying that like you could hear enemies with such pinpoint accuracy. And so I'm at the point now where I don't even I'm not even looking at the notes on the ground that other players have left. I'm specifically listening out for enemies hiding around corners or being in the dark or something, because it's it's it's really good.
Speaker 3: And also like it looks phenomenal.
Speaker 2: Like there's a you you when you load into the game, Uh, you're kind of in this dilapidated tunnel and there's all these ponds gum and like I was just call me ye pond scum, and I was just walking up and down and like seeing how the pond scum was reacting to you colliding.
Speaker 3: With it, and it's just like so good.
Speaker 2: The raid tracing so good, the shadows, the audio work, it's all really really good. And then on top of it all, this is my first experience with Demon Souls, but I have the I feel like I have the confidence because I've played other Souls born games. Yeah, it's something really special, so I have In terms of where I'm at with the game, just did the Dragon God and I'm still in that area, but I might go back to the bit behind the Tower.
Speaker 1: Night, having having not played the original, Lucy, do you think it holds up pretty well? Does it feel like a game from what two thousand and seven?
Speaker 3: No, it doesn't, I don't think so. I I'm really enjoying it.
Speaker 2: But I wonder if I would feel that way if I hadn't played like Dark Souls. But I'm I also feel like I'm giving myself a slightly easier time of it because I picked the Royalty class because I obviously did some research.
Speaker 1: And I did magicians so yeah.
Speaker 3: Which is so like Royalty Class.
Speaker 2: If you are considering playing and it's your first one, like I would definitely recommend you get a really great magic spell called Soul Arrow, and you also get a ring that slowly regenerates your MP over time.
Speaker 4: So yeah, most people go for the Night Class because it's like it's like the basic one. The Night Class is tricky, like it's you're You're in for a bit of a strug. That's what I'm playing as, and it's like you need to be on point with it. But like magic is magic is almost like magic is opy in Demon Souls. But the Royalty Class is like a nice balance of both worlds where you can get upper close and do the physical combat, but if.
Speaker 5: You want to, you know, play it safe, you can do their magic stuff.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because I've got a weapon that scales with magic. So I'm having I'm having a nice, like balanced time. There's also that it's also the first Souls game I've ever played with magic. I've never done that before, and so yeah, I'm really enjoying it. I'm having a lovely time.
Speaker 4: One of the things that I love about this game is there's right now there's an influx of people playing the game because there's you know, there's a limited amount of PlayStation five games out, but it means that the messaging system is just absolutely singing like it's working as as from software wanted it to work but could never make it work because nobody played the original, like no one played there. There was so few messages around and it never worked. So now what happens is like I'm leaving more messages than I've ever left. I'm leaving messages everywhere. It's been like welcoming people into areas, telling them about secrets and that kind of stuff.
Speaker 3: And it's the real demon soul starts here.
Speaker 4: Yeah like or even like, yeah, be careful here, you know a secret, et cetera, et cetera. And what happens is if you if you interact with a message, you can rate it like fine or foul or whatever it may be. If you get rated fine, it refills your health. And so the amount of times I have had it, I had it happened once where a boss was almost about to kill me, like the boss swung at me and as it was about to hit a message, one of my messages got rated fine and it filled my health and it saved me. Like the amount of times that has happened in the game, it's just been incredible, and like that is like one of the most memorable gaming experiences of the year for me. I had I went to Shrine of Storms and those fuck those goddamn skeletons how much I played these games, Like those skeletons are so annoying, but like they have almost killed me so many times because the mantare's in the sky as well, fire like arrows at you. They're so bad you need the thief string and you can just like ignore them. But like the like every time the skeleton has almost killed me, like so many times, my health has just reached out rated right at the right time.
Speaker 6: I'm like, thank God.
Speaker 2: My favorite thing is that they've clearly because the cool way that Blue I'm actually not sure if they've done it for this one, but the way they remade Shadow of the Classes, like they have the original game running and then they have it running simultaneously as they're making it within the Blue Point engine, so they take they actually like take a lot of the original code. So for example, in Shadow of the Classes, the like the belt around Wander is the original like it's the original animations from the Belt that was originally made by Team, So I wonder if this is a similar quirk. But I've noticed that, like they didn't anticipate so many people rating notes, and there's a small bug where if you have ratings that are triple digits, it crosses over with the text because it's clearly like they thought not that many people would rate stuff. But all like most of the notes I've seen, Yeah, most of the notes I've seen are like most of the notes have been appraised in trouble digits because it's just so many people the.
Speaker 4: Amount of times. So I've gone into an area that i've known like is difficult or like a boss arena once it's finished, and just found the note I'm proud of you, Like in the game, it's just so good, like you work your way through I don't know, Tower of Latria and then it's just I'm proud of you and you're like thank you.
Speaker 2: That's I mean, that's where I'm at right now. That really really far and then I mind killed me.
Speaker 5: So I usually leave Latria for loss.
Speaker 3: Oh really I should I should have hit you up. They should have texted you.
Speaker 1: Well, Anyway, with that, let's head to our listener questions this week.
Speaker 6: And we are back.
Speaker 1: But before we get into listener questions, joining me right now is Matt Elfring.
Speaker 6: Hi and Chris Hello.
Speaker 1: Now, you two host Wrestle Buddies Game Spots Wrestling podcast, and you've joined because there is a ton of wrestling video game news and I know nothing about any of that stuff. So I brought you guys here to help me unpack all of these games because there are a few. Right, I thought there was just one, but I've been told that there's more.
Speaker 8: It would be great if there was just one. If they could take all three of these games and collapse them into one title instead of taking one game that just parting it out to different places to charge me money, that would be great.
Speaker 6: I'd like to start with the weirdest one just and it's it's a mobile game, and oddly it makes the most sense to me.
Speaker 1: I'll say that it's like before before we get into that, I do want you guys to introduce yourself, because I did say you guys host Wrestle Buddies. But Matt Elfring, how long have you been with game Spot, What what kind of stuff do you cover, what games do you play?
Speaker 3: Give us the rundown.
Speaker 6: Well, I I'm coming up on my fifth year this December of mark five years with game Spot on the Entertainment section. I am the news editor of the Entertainment section. I yell about news a lot, and movies and TV and wrestling, I guess obviously. Currently, right now, the PlayStation five is eating my life. I am finally playing Spider Man, the remastered version, and I'll be hitting up Miles Morales. And the one thing that I was super duper excited to start playing that I've been kind of tinkering with is Fall Guys, because I'm watching a lot of people play Fall Guys on YouTube and I'm just jealous and half fomo.
Speaker 1: Yeah it's not on Xbox.
Speaker 6: Huh No, it's not on Xbox. No switch My PC can't run. It's garbage. All guys is born to be a switch game. I don't understand.
Speaker 1: Yeah, seriously, how about you, Chris.
Speaker 8: I've been with game Spot three issu years now. I cover movies, TV, theme parks, wrestling, all the good stuff. Actually, today just started my new game plus of Spider Man Miles Morales. I finished it last night and immediately started the game over again because I want that cat, want that cat. Other games I play. You and the audio world can't see this, but I do have an NBA jam Arcade cabinet behind me, just like Matt has one behind him. So that is how I've been spending a lot of my spare time recently.
Speaker 1: So you guys are very good friends. Did you meet through GameSpot or have you known each other longer than that?
Speaker 6: I think we just became best friends from working together.
Speaker 8: Okay, Like, like Matt was already here when I started, obviously, and like day one, I was like, I think I like this guy.
Speaker 6: This guy, I feel like he's on my level. We both bought I think like the day Chris you bought the one up arcade, we played like two games. Maybe yes we did. I decimated you. Yes you did.
Speaker 1: Okay, Well, now that our audience knows who you guys are, they know about wrest buddies, you're tasting games and what you do for game Spot. Now it's time to get into the meat of the discussion. What are these aw games all about? What's the mobile one? Let's start with that one. There's let's start with but one of the mobile the.
Speaker 6: One that Chris things make sense and I think is crazy.
Speaker 1: It is.
Speaker 6: It's just a mobile casino game where you play blackjat slots poker, and then it just has like a W stamps on it and it plays AW music. It's just like a weirdly licensed game that makes to me, makes no sense because wrestling and casinos. I know, AW has like a pay per view that's kind of modeled after casinos, but it still makes no sense. It's very very weird. Yeah.
Speaker 8: Well, well, meanwhile, on for my money, like AAW has been very like a lot of its bigger events have been very like gambling centric. Also, like I from a business point of view, where like in a pandemic when wrestling shows are televised every week but can't have live audiences, really, that's a lot of lost revenue. They got to make up somewhere. So make them play blackjack?
Speaker 6: Baby?
Speaker 1: How does I imagine there are micro transactions? Because obviously you can't have gambling on an electronic game, but you know, micro transactions, Like, how does that work?
Speaker 6: Do we know?
Speaker 8: No, that's the weird thing. All they said was like play blackjack, you can maybe win like authentic a W merchandise.
Speaker 6: But they're like, without a doubt, there's gonna be some sort of weird currency that you're gonna have to spend real life money on to get all that.
Speaker 8: Yeah, by like like young buck Bucks. Young Bucks are a tag team there.
Speaker 1: Jacob, all right, So that's that's one game that's kind of odd that it's a it's a blackjack game just with a W branding on it. How about the other mobile game?
Speaker 6: This is the good one.
Speaker 8: This is the one I like, I'm personally most excited about. Wrestling fans who game classically love a good general manager mode, which is essentially you become the booker of the wrestling show. You like pick who's gonna fight who you sometimes determine the winner, and the whole point of the game is to like manage morale in the locker room, audience, attendance, money, like all of the real boring stuff in wrestling. But like we love it, uh and now aw is really is putting together just a general manager mode app where supposedly you might be able to fight against your friends, which is what Matt and I want to do. Yes, but like it's essentially you're managing the roster. You're booking the cards and you're just essentially playing You're playing billionaire Tony Kahm, the guy who owns AW. You're just taking his job.
Speaker 6: It's it's if you've been paying attention to like WWE's Up Up, Down Down YouTube channel. Xavier Woods has done the GM mode with I think it's Ron SmackDown two thousand and seven. They're playing Chris is not Kent. I think it's two six, two thousand and six, two don six. They've been doing that for about a year and it's really kind of heightened the popular and the want for wrestling fans to play a new GM mode. Unfortunately, WWE Gaming through two K and Visual Concepts have not been doing a General Manager Mode. So AW is trying to kind of fill a void that wrestling fans really want right now, Like me, I want. I mean, I busted out my old three sixty to play I think I had two thousand and seven, two thousand and eight. Yeah, and when you know, playing GM mode by myself on a really loud Xbox three sixty from fifteen years ago. But yeah, the promise of being able to play like the sort of a new updated version of this mode that we love very much. But is as a game that's on your smartphone and you can hopefully connect to your friend who's also on my smartphone, you can have like a competing season of whatever against each other. Like that is exactly what I want.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that sounds pretty neat because on paper that stuff doesn't sound super interesting, right but when but you know, people love Football Manager every year and they jump on that, and people are super into the Like I have some friends on my Steam high rove played like hundreds of hours of those games, so I definitely get the appeal. It's definitely not for everyone, but like the thought of even if somebody's not super into wrestling, but the thought of, like you know, building up a roster and scheduling out a season and having my fighters fight a friend sounds that's pretty enticing to me.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I'm very Yeah, I'm very excited about that. Unfortunately, uh, we don't know when that's actually going to come out. The beauty of all these we don't know when any of them are coming out, well except we know it was the Winter the Casino is the first one coming out. Okay, everything else the lead of an interesting one. Yeah, spend your Christmas playing Blackjack alone.
Speaker 6: I will, I will, all.
Speaker 1: Right, So the last one's the big one, right. This is the wrestling game.
Speaker 8: Yeah, this is this is the wrestling name that has actual wrestling in it.
Speaker 6: You remember Yuke's good old Yukes. They made the classic wrestling video games back in the day, usually alongside th HQ. YUS has teamed up with aw to make a new wrestling game that they showed us a two minute trailer roughly of Kenny Omega and Chris Jericho fighting. It's kind of I wouldn't say cartoonish models, but it feels kind of like clayish, not.
Speaker 8: Like yeah, it felt it's it's close enough to just not be real. Like it looks sort of realistic until you like look at it hard and you're like, oh no, Like these are this is a very sort of almost like fantasy is the wrong word, but they're very they're very played up. They're extra muscular, like they have very like I feel like, especially around the fantasy have very soft features and it just it looks different than what WWE is offering every year, Like every your WWE when they release one of their mainline games, tries to make the models look as close to real as possible, will say for the terrible long hair we always get, but like this is clearly going. These are very stylized. They're trying to sort of be their own thing. They've hired Yukes, who is responsible for yeah, the most beloved wrestling games on Nintendo sixty four, especially No Mercy, WrestleMania two thousand, WCWNW Revenge, Like wrestling nerds love these games, and now that company is working with AAW And they've also enlisted the director of No Mercy, Gato, who is They haven't said what he's doing with the game, They just said he's involved, and then they had a video of him talking about how much he loves Kenny Omega, which is great, Like we all love Kenny Omega. But so yeah, we're not entirely sure. But the one thing we know is for sure happening in the game, because they put it in the trailer, is in your gender fights, so man versus woman something just not on AW television, definitely allowed in the AW.
Speaker 1: So do you think wrestling fans are going to be annoyed that this game is taking a less realistic approach? Maybe realistic's not the right word, but like you know, the was it. The two K games kind of feature realistic models, and this is a little more, like you said, not not fantasy, but unrealistic.
Speaker 6: I think we're as a wrestling fan and a video game enthusiast myself, I'm looking for something new, a breath of fresh air. We had WWE Battlegrounds come out past doc October time means nothing anymore, and that was an overly stylized game, but it didn't really fill that that void of, you know, something fun that's not just simulation. Simulation wrestling is great, but I don't want every wrestling game to be simulation. I want to have that kind of fun feeling I had, you know, at my buddy's house, like early college, like let's play you know, n WCWNW or Revenge like I'm going to be signed guy Lodi that's a real wrestling character. Or Disco Inferno he likes Disco. You kind of want that fun, you know, nostalgic feeling. And I guess for me like I have rose colored glasses on when it comes to Yukes just in general. So I'm excited, but I just I want to see something new. AW is already as a wrestling promotion has already offered something new to wrestling fans, and sure, I'll take a new game that's not just you know, we scanned a guy for seventeen hours to get every beard stubble correct. You're gonna love it. I'm also excited about the game.
Speaker 8: But my counterpoint to that is they have AW Another thing AW has had is they're like us. They are made up a bunch of wrestling nerds who are overly nostalgic for things. So a lot of a lot of times we see in their programming relies on like sort of pointing and nodding at things that happened before them enlisting the company and the director of the best Wrestling Game twenty years ago. I hope, I hope it's evolved like I as stylized and not not necessarily realistic. As the footage we saw, which they stressed was rough. Footage looked. It still looked cool, like it looked fun. But as a wrestling fan and also a video game enthusiast, we're never happy about anything. Everything we're going to critique and the thing it can look however it wants it has to be. It's all about the controls, like it is so easy to screw up controls in a wrestling game. Trust me, two k's done it a lot so many times over the years, and before then, THHQ did it a lot. It's just like you have to the controls need to be easy enough to just pick up and play, but have sort of a depth to them for where you can as you move along and get more comfortable and then you could pull off more and more crazy things.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I was going to ask, because the last couple two K wrestling games have been borderline broken, does that make you guys nervous at all?
Speaker 8: Well, there's a whole Matt and I talk about this a lot because the one they the last big one was WWE two K twenty, which had I think a now legendary blaze of fire release where just everything went as wrong as possible. And thankfully they've done a lot, They've done a lot of patching in the meantime, and like it's now the wrestling game playable playing. Yeah it's playable now. It's not perfect by any means, but yeah, I do at the very least like that where it's not this isn't a two K product, this isn't a WWE sort of a WW Universe product. This is something different. It's gonna have a completely different roster of people to play with. Hopefully it'll have just as good, if not better, a creation suite, because what is a wrestling game if you can't make wrestlers that look like you and your friends and they hit each other with chairs.
Speaker 1: That's that's why I always played wrestling games, just so I could make ridiculous characters that look like just giant pieces of brack that would fight other carrots or something you would love.
Speaker 8: W W two K twenty then, because it comes in package with a wrestler that's literally Ribs. Yes, it's like barbecue Ribs. It's rib and Ribby's got an entrance song and a video package and everything.
Speaker 6: What you should do is just get you get two K twenty on the Xbox, and then it will just give you. Chris and I have uploaded a ton of wrestlers already. They just download. You can have the real version of me or the eighties glam version of me. Guess what play with the most own them both Tiger Forest, matt Elfring.
Speaker 1: Is there is there a release date on this game?
Speaker 6: Coming soon?
Speaker 8: Wink Yeah, just coming soon I'm I well, and obviously Matt and I are more on the entertainment side of the game side. But like, from what I understand, developing a video game from the ground up takes a lot of time. And AW just celebrated its one year anniversary, so like, I'm thinking at least a year, probably.
Speaker 6: Because Yux has only been with AW, to the best of our knowledge for a year because they left. Uh they left and a half ago.
Speaker 8: Uh So yeah, it'll be it'll be interesting to see when I I just want it. I want new wrestling games. I'll play any of them, even if they're terrible. I'll still play them because, like, yeah, like wrestling fans. Like there's a reason that wrestling fans are called marks. We're the easiest, most sucker marks on the planet. We will buy anything. I look, as Matt knows, I'm gonna download the Casino app. I'm gonna play it for at least an hour. I'm gonna hold off on that one good luck, and then I think I kind of already know the answer to this.
Speaker 1: But there what's the ranking between these three games in terms of excitement levels?
Speaker 5: For you guys?
Speaker 1: Personally, I think The Manager is my favorite and then the actual wrestling game, and then like way way, way, way way down, there might be the Blackjack game.
Speaker 6: At this point, I might be with you, Jacob. Yeah, I think I'm gonna put General Manager number one. It's only because I know we all know so little about the console game.
Speaker 7: Uh.
Speaker 6: If I knew a little bit more about the game, more than that one minute trailer, sure, But right now General Manager moment, I know enough about it where I'm like, I will be playing this like all day. Sorry, work, I'm playing General I should be writing like it's on my phone. That's perfect. That's all I could ever want in the world. So yeah, that that is. That is what I'm like, I do. I don't care about the Casino one. I'll play it. I also have on my phone.
Speaker 8: I have WWE Tetris, I have WWE like card Fight, I have I have so many Build the Title. I have so many dumb wrestling games on my phone already. There's no way I'm not going to download the other new ones that are. Do you just have a folder full of all your Yeah, yeah, it's labeled procrastination. Yeah, it's labeled procrastination, and that's exactly what it's there.
Speaker 1: For well, if you all want to hear more about all of this wrestling goodness, you can check out wrestle Buddies, which is on iTunes, Spotify, pretty much anywhere that's got podcast you can find. But before I let you guys go, is there anything else you guys want to plug work that might be coming up? Ways people can follow you, Twitter handles, whatever it might be. Chris, why don't you start with that?
Speaker 8: I am at Chris Hayner. It's very easy on all of the social media. It's hr s h A Y N E R. And Yeah, like you said, we got new episodes of wrestle Buddies every Thursday. If you want to hear people talk about things like the time Hulk can open to post restaurant, or when we talk to actual WWE wrestlers about some of the dumb stuff in wrestling, this is the podcast for you.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I don't think we ever talked about anything contemporary. We're always talking about something weird from the nineties, and then also interviewing someone that's currently wrestling about something from the nineties.
Speaker 8: Yeah, next week, like I think next Yeah, next week we're talking about the time a giant turkey hatched on ww television cuz Thanksgiving.
Speaker 1: I enjoy when you guys bring in staff members to read out lines.
Speaker 6: Oh you're talking about Wrestle Peace Theater.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 8: Yeah, we bring a lot of class to the show and podcasting. I think we're trying to the rhetoric of professional wrestling podcasting.
Speaker 6: I think you're the only person after Dark that has not done that yet. That means you're on deck. Yeah, I think you're on No, send me the lines. I got it the episode.
Speaker 1: Anyway, Thank you guys, and uh, we're back with listener questions right after this. All right, and we are back with listener questions. If you've got a question for us, you can email us at after Dark podcast at GameSpot dot com, or you can join our discord by dming myself and I will, or just emailing the that email address and we'll get you right in. First question is from Maria on discord, Kelly, do you want to read this one?
Speaker 7: It seems like the switch in combat style for Yakaza has made a long standing series feel like a whole new experience. Are there any other game series you think could benefit from changing the way they play?
Speaker 2: Oh, speaking of I just got to the part where like you have a second party member in Yaza and the combats started to sing.
Speaker 3: That's a really good question, Maria. Yeah, it's a good question, like a long standing series.
Speaker 2: What if you made like a I know, because I know Gears had Gears Tactics, So I'm like, what the what if you had an RTS of Call of Duty? But I feel like that's not an exciting it.
Speaker 7: Was Halo worst.
Speaker 5: Make hm.
Speaker 7: I mean, Yakaza was such a good pick because I never really connected with that combat, the original combat system, Like I would say, like it's not the best, it's not the strongest, So like it's such a it's such a good pick. And now I'm struggling to think of another one that has like bothered me recently or where I felt like it was.
Speaker 2: I mean I'm big into Yeah, I'm big into games, like Final Fantasy has obviously done it with the theater.
Speaker 3: What god? That is the worst.
Speaker 2: Portmanteau, And like now Kingdom Hearts is at it making like musical games what do you call them? Rhythm action games? Yeah, like rhythm games. So I you know, I applaud them for trying, and I think I think THEATRYTHM was definitely well better received than unfortunately Kingdom Hearts was.
Speaker 5: Rhythm.
Speaker 2: I'm just trying to think, like, if you give me a franchise, I will. That's the thing where I'm getting I've had half a white claw.
Speaker 3: I'm very tired.
Speaker 1: Well, I mean, just the branch off Call of Duty. After playing Black Cold War, I'd really like a not a point and click adventure, like still the first person, but like a first person adventure game where it's a little more less focused on the shooting and moron just talking to people solving clues. Maybe it wouldn't be Call of Duty, but after playing Cold War and having those those safe house sections and the stuff with the clues and codes and whatnot, like, I thought that was pretty compelling. I don't know if I'd want to play that for an entire game, but that could make for an interesting Call of Duty experience, or maybe even just a Call of Duty that's more like hit Man in a way, because there is a mission in the new Call of Duty game that is a bit reminiscent of hit Man in terms of there's a character that you can kill, and there are different ways you can set up this kill or you don't have to kill and you have to take something from them. But like that mission was super interesting. In like, an entire Call of Duty game that's kind of based around that, I think would be pretty cool.
Speaker 7: I'm so tired that I totally let TAM's joke die about a rhythm call of duty game, but I was going to say that making a gunshot montage on YouTube in twenty ten to an Avenge Sevenfold song was the call of Duty rhythm game, So damn.
Speaker 3: Been there.
Speaker 5: Oh that'd be pretty good.
Speaker 7: Honestly, I would play literally anything that was like, oh, now it's a city builder, like I want. The only reason I want to I've never played an Assassin's Creed game. The only reason I want to play Valhalla is because of the settlement stuff. But like, I would like it a lot more if it was just building a Viking settlement that's the whole game.
Speaker 1: What about like a Pokemon League manager where you're kind of the head of the league and you pick gym leaders and pick the Pokemon they're going to use, and basically you're just trying to stop trainers from getting to the Elite four and that's where your best trainers are. You just kind of watch it all happen instead of actually partaking, like they just changed.
Speaker 7: Oh my god, I just designed the game that only I would enjoy.
Speaker 3: Well, I mean football manager people would enjoy. I would love that.
Speaker 7: I would totally manage a Pokemon league. I was literally I was going to say that next.
Speaker 1: To gets mentioned every episode, but what you get to.
Speaker 2: I've heard that there there's there's a mini game in like a Dragon, which, first of all, someone who was it, I think Evan posted earlier today and it's like he referred to it as yak is a Lad, and I was like, so much.
Speaker 3: One really is the yak is a Lad?
Speaker 7: I might say, yes, number one.
Speaker 3: They make that joke. There is a character, the character in the game.
Speaker 2: Who you meet and this is not sports is very early on and he you talk to him, and he and you tell him your name and he goes.
Speaker 3: Oh, Itchi ban a number one name. Is very fun because if you're not awake, that character is very weird.
Speaker 5: Character is so.
Speaker 2: Strange, and the fact that he really picks and chooses when he speaks in English, which is very true. But Itchi is a Japanese for one in Ichuban is number one.
Speaker 5: Number one, number one.
Speaker 1: Yeah, number one. Next next question here is from Matt Lucy. Do you want to read this one? Hey?
Speaker 3: After dark Crewe.
Speaker 2: Nintendo's recent decision to make Super Mario three D All Stars and Fire Emblem in nineteen ninety limited time releases has been contentious for some. Nintendo has made limited supply, high demand titles in the past, but these two games are releasing three months apart and ceasinge production.
Speaker 3: On the same day.
Speaker 2: I'm curious to know why do you think Microsoft or Sony haven't adopted this strategy? Thanks Matt, Because only Nintendo can get away with that shit, because this is some peak Nintendo early nineties bullshit. That's win because because the ambo they've been doing it the whole time.
Speaker 7: Man, they've been this is their thing, and people are just like, I love Mario and I'm people, I'm bitches in that situation.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think it's because Nintendo, unlike Nintendo, Microsoft and Sony, have more than two online service so that means they can have multiple games running at the same time, whereas Nintendo's like, if we have too many online games, we will run out of service. We've got two service, so if.
Speaker 5: You want another that you want Splatoon to be online, you've got to take game or three months for that game, and then it's off.
Speaker 2: So this is so legit when I said this is a classic bullshit Inintendo move, it is something they've done since the late eighties and nineties, Like they basically create this kind of false high demand by under selling to retailers, like they would.
Speaker 3: Console Wars is really good for this.
Speaker 2: You should read or watch that, like it kind of goes into a big detail.
Speaker 3: But they would I think they.
Speaker 2: Would like overpromise and underdeliver stock or like severely limit their stock so they would always kind of be sold out and wanted to be in demand, and people would always be talking about it. And this kind of feels like they're digital equivalent.
Speaker 3: And it's so weird because they would make so much money.
Speaker 2: If they just released their back catalog in a way that was easy for people to access. Like if they don't do something for Zelda's anniversary next year, like because I know they did it with Mario this year, but like, think about how much money they would make if they just put okerina of Time on the switch.
Speaker 5: They'll do it, price people would buy it, Yeah, they'll.
Speaker 4: Do it, but they'll do it, Yeah, they'll do it in a way that makes you so mad that they're doing it. They'll be like, oh, we've got the Zelda game here, It's available for twenty hours at double the price definished. Yeah, and construct itself and all of us will be so mad, but we'll buy it so fast and.
Speaker 5: Well, like we are.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we know the reason why they do it, because capitalism, but like, oh yeah, they make so much money, and it's it's so strange to see them do this, like because Nintendo games, out of like Sony and Nintendo and Microsoft and PC, Nintendo games are the ones that hold their value for so much longer, and honestly, maybe it's just this long game that they've been doing to ensure that, Like, especially in the second time retail market, Nintendo games hold their value so well, and those games are very very rarely on like a killer sale, Like I mean, Watchdog's Legion is already out there for thirty bucks.
Speaker 7: Yeah, and like fire Emblem went on sale for like fifty dollars and it was like the lowest it had ever been and like our commerce Senator Jane was like, oh my god, can you write up the Fire Emblem story. It's ten dollars off and I was like, holy shit, yeah, and I.
Speaker 3: Mean like.
Speaker 2: Business acumen coming out of the wazoo, but sucks.
Speaker 3: It sucks.
Speaker 1: You ever tried to buy a Pokemon Heart gold or sil Silver I have, It's like a couple of hundred. But I was like, I should get those games again. And then I found them on Amazon and I was like, no, I'm not doing that.
Speaker 3: Thank Captain America vibes. No, I don't think I will.
Speaker 7: It's I found at my parents' house. I was like, I was like, Mom, thank god you didn't throw this away.
Speaker 3: It's so expensive. I'm like, I have mine in the UK.
Speaker 2: If I'm ever allowed back that, Jake, I can.
Speaker 1: I mean to be like I was looking at Sealed, which was even more expensive over like three hundred and fifty dollars. But I still think even like good condition used ones were like eighty ninety dollars, which is still a bit ridiculous considering when I bought that game. I don't know when did it come out, it doesn't matter. It was like it's like thirty bucks.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 7: I do think I don't know Nintendo more so than like I want.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 7: I haven't looked at the numbers, I just feel like Nintendo has higher highs and lower lows, and like if you look at the WIU and like, I just feel like maybe if I'm nintento, I'm like, I gotta put together a Nest Egg for the next time we have a failed experiment because I just feel like Nintendo tends to play it less safe as well in terms of like just in terms of making something that like is a guaranteed like people are gonna love this because it's exactly what the market wants.
Speaker 1: They haven't competed with Sony or Microsoft in well over a decade. Yeah, So to your point.
Speaker 7: That's why I said, like at the start, it's like because only Nintendo can get away with that because Nintendo.
Speaker 3: Just has, like.
Speaker 7: You know, now decades of nostalgia built up and a certain like there's just a certain quality to I mean, PlayStation does have nostalgia. You have stuff like Spiro and Crash. It's just like Nintendo is so prominent in like when you think about the happy, fuzzy gaming memories of your childhood that it's just kind of like, well, I love fire Emblem. I've never played that one because it's it was only in Japan, and I'm a big nerd who loves Japan. I'm gonna buy it, Like, let's just how my brain works.
Speaker 2: I also don't think Nintendo has necessarily had the so with both Spiro and Crash, you kind of had those the ps two years, which seems to have soiled people's opinions of those franchises somewhat. However, I will say the new Crash very good, but I don't feel like there's been I don't think Nintendo's had an equivalent childhood smasher so to speak.
Speaker 7: Yeah, like Sonic has too. Like obviously Sega is a whole different ballgame, but like you have a lot of mascot characters who fell from Grace.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 7: For some reason, I wanted to be like, ah, the bimbofication of Crash, but like that's not what happened. But but you know, like just something happened to him along the way is what the vibe I was trying to convey.
Speaker 3: When you said Sega there reminded me of the so.
Speaker 2: The the Sega moving out of the arcade business in Japan, the one of the places in Tokyo, the Big Sega Arcade trip. They took down the it's It's closed, and they took down the big sign, but someone put it on the back.
Speaker 5: Of a truck.
Speaker 3: But they put it G A S. E.
Speaker 2: And so someone remixed at sega jingle and there's a great tweet where it goes.
Speaker 3: O gayz, which is now the only way I will ever hear it in my home.
Speaker 1: Well, anyway, that's been episode sixty eight of Game Spot after Dark.
Speaker 5: Thank you all so much for listening.
Speaker 2: Next week's gonna be nice in it a nice episode, Thanksgiving episode.
Speaker 1: Thanksgiving episodes we'll have to record a little bit earlier.
Speaker 7: We will be thankful for the number of episodes I think, yeah.
Speaker 1: And thank you guys for joining me.
Speaker 6: Lucy.
Speaker 1: What are you working on and where can people find you?
Speaker 3: Generation next?
Speaker 2: This week we are talking about the bugs and issues that.
Speaker 3: People people are having.
Speaker 2: A lot of people are having with the xbook series X and the PlayStation five that'll be out by the time this episode is live. I'm also working with the lovely Jordan Romae on some stuff you might have missed. An Assassin's Creed val Halla. There are some really cool side missions in that game that I haven't seen too many people shouting about Sir Jordan's kindly had a master list from when he was doing his review, so he wrote up some of the best ones. I'm going to be capturing footage for that one, and then on top of that, just surviving in it anyway. Yeah, Greg agreed.
Speaker 3: Thanks Greg, And then I'm on Twitter at least the.
Speaker 5: James Games, Timorro How are you?
Speaker 4: I am on Twitter at tamare h just doing nonsense? There, I read my review of.
Speaker 5: Demon there you go, There you go. What the game's name was?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 4: And Generation Next is the thing that Lucy mentioned earlier. And yeah, I'm around Kelly.
Speaker 3: How are you?
Speaker 7: You can follow me on Twitter at inky doji go I n k y d o j i kk oh.
Speaker 3: I just don't.
Speaker 7: Enjoy tweeting anymore, so I don't tweet as much. But I'm very very much looking forward to the Animal Crossing New Horizons Winter update, which is launching Thursday, So if you're listening to this, it's already out and it's going to increase home storage from sixteen hundred to twenty four hundred spots, So I'm actually gonna be able to put everything away and I cannot wait. I have so much garbage on the ground. I am so freaking excited, so freaking excited to expand. It's the first thing I'm gonna do tomorrow. I'm gonna wake up and I'm expanding my home storage and I'm punning everything away.
Speaker 3: I can't wait, like Christmas morning.
Speaker 7: Oh yeah, I actually don't know when it's launching tomorrow, what time it is?
Speaker 1: Well no, I mean like once you upgrade, will tom look be like, okay, I'll get that done tomorrow.
Speaker 7: If that bitch makes me wait, oh my god, So I just can't. I'm just like really really excited for that and discovering what new items and stuff await you can finally sit down on the ground. So big, big things are happening. And they also added a lot of new hairstyles, specifically geared towards lack players, which I think is really cool. And then yeah, Call of Duty review is gonna be live barring a total network crash by the time you're listening to this episode, so please read it.
Speaker 1: You can find me at Jacob dec And I am finishing up a video about the dual Sense with demon souls, which should be up by Friday. If not, something happened, but they should be there.
Speaker 3: I think something happened, something happened.
Speaker 1: Anyway, We'll see all next week for episode sixty nine.
Speaker 7: Nice nice to seen to return to