Speaker 1: I think I'm recording. I think, well, it looks like you are. You're lounging and recording at the same time.
Speaker 2: Well, I think I've pressed stop and then start again. This is going well, isn't it?
Speaker 1: Isn't it? Well, that's why Richard, we are at Country Slide, Rural Britain's most popular podcast. If any lawyers are listening, probably.
Speaker 3: So.
Speaker 1: Anyway, Look, I'm delightful to see you back once again. Each week. I just wonder as to whether you'll be dead, but no, you're still you're still surviving. I have had a fall this week. You know when the elderly say, oh they've had a fall. I had one in that corner over there, Whilst trying to pick up something thrown in the corner in anger, I sort of had a sort of you know, one of those falls where it's coming slowly. Yeah, you know you can see it in the run up, but it's not. It's not a sudden affair. You know it's happening. You got time to be ashamed already before, yes, exactly. And it is quite funny, is that when you get to a certain age, you don't fall over. You have a fall In actual fact, that's a precisely what happened to me on Saturday, because I played my first cricket match of the season and.
Speaker 2: It still hurts.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I am covered in bruises and scars and hobbling around and when he goes say are you all right, and they guess said, yeah, I played cricket on Saturday. People do not give you the sympathy of saying I've been hit by a car, but that's how it feels. And I have to say, if I was able to look out of my body at myself, I know that most of my diving around in the field would have looked like sort of someone with some sort of palsy just falling over the wrong way, you know, because the balls came towards me. I was fielding a point and I went they went to my right, and I dived to my left and put my hands out there and fell over and was writhing around, and my teammates are going, are you all right?
Speaker 4: Mate?
Speaker 1: And you know, just last season they'd have said get up, but now they come and help you up. And it just strikes me that age has befallen me. And I am half the man I used to be.
Speaker 2: You have a special chair set aside for you. That's Richard's chair. You have a tankard that's got your that's yours with your name on it.
Speaker 1: Do you know what? Our cricket club is quite a satz really, and we have a nice clubhouse, but it doesn't stretch to tankards. It does have some glasses if you ask for them specifically, but no, it's a bit like what I've got at the moment, which is a stolen pint glass from a pub. And I always stole the pint glasses that actually still have pint written on them, rather than whatever it is, a leita. It's my slight sort of you know, pre Brexit. Ah God, it's still a pint. As far as I'm concerned, I.
Speaker 2: Think it's sort of one of those those lost experiences that maybe our generation's had that the youth of today don't have. I don't know, Maybe we should ask a couple of them, because just as luck would have it over on the other side of the internet. From where where I'm sat in my convalescence room and you are sat in your is it an orangeury summer room? What are you calling him?
Speaker 1: By study?
Speaker 2: You'll study. It's not windows on all sides so everyone can see you studying.
Speaker 1: Well that's why. Yeah, so we have.
Speaker 2: We have Well I was wondering what order I should do this in, but I'm just going to go for the order of the bios that have been sent to me.
Speaker 1: We have Will he has.
Speaker 2: He's a member of Hadley Young Farmers. I think he's one of the longest serving current members of Suffolk Young Farmers, having been a member for seventeen years. And he is going to be the director of the Hadleigh Show this year, which I believe is a big deal over there in the flatlands.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yes, and we also have no no will You're not allowed to talk yet. We're going to carry on the introductions, you know, just just just just as we go. And then we have Poppy. She seems to work for Debenham's Young Farmers. Is that sort of an in.
Speaker 1: Store you heave? Is that a place? Yes, it's a beautiful place. It's where Lovejoy used to be filmed.
Speaker 2: Right I thought that was on the Channel Islands or No, that's so Poppy from Debenham Young Farmers. She's their program organizer and another person with family links back to the countryside. So I think we should let Poppy speak first, just because I gave her the roughest introduction.
Speaker 1: Yes, and Poppy, Hello, Poppy. Thank you so much both Poppy and Will for coming on. And I'm going to just give a bit of context as why we've got these two young firebrands on the show. Back about six months ago, which in you know Nigas years is three years ago. Say walk then exactly back when Richard Pridou could still walk, I said, I wondered what it was like to be young in the countryside today, because I realized that things had changed quite dramatically for young people. So we set ourselves a task, an indomitable country slide style. We jumped to it, and six months later, here we are with Poppy and Will. So Poppy, tell me a bit about yourself and what do you get up to?
Speaker 3: Okay, So I was born in countryside. I was lucky that my grandparents were both well. My granddad, he was a farmer. He had a small farm. He started with one hundred and thirty acres and then moved down to one hundred acres, so it's very small, but it was enough at the time. So I grew up with big family, with cousins. I had like we still do have twelve cousins and going to Grandma and Grandad's farms. We'd always meet up and do so much there. I think we were very privileged in the respect that we had a med day, that we could have meats, like we'd have like sparklers and bonfire night and just go over really and have a nice time. In summer when granddad was working harvest, we'd go oither and pack a picnic whilst he was on the combine and just see them for ten minutes and then he'd be off again kind of thing. And we'd I remember going after school collecting worms with my cousin and putting them in mustard tins because what else would you do after school? So yeah, no, it was really good.
Speaker 1: So there you go, an idyllic country childhood, capturing worms and setting fire to things so that nothing's changed. Then saying not really, well, how many worms did you catch? Right to talk talk me through, will because you're a little bit old, well quite a bit older than Poppy actually, because you're getting on a bit.
Speaker 4: Thank you.
Speaker 5: Yeah it's forty seven, yeah, probably closer to it, probably, Yeah, yeah, not so many worms caught in my childhood. I must, but that's horrible farming for you don't get many worms to catch in the first place.
Speaker 4: No, No, quite.
Speaker 1: So tell tell me about your your background and and how you came into young farmers.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 5: So I've grown up on a family farm at home. So we found about eight hundred acres all arable and a bit of contracting to start off with, which we've now expanded, which my brother now runs. But when I was younger, I think friends of friends got me along to young farmers at the age of ten, I think, yeah, going along before you start drinking, and it is more about the social before it changes and priorities switch when you've become fifteen, sixteen, seventeen.
Speaker 4: Yeah, been involved in it ever since.
Speaker 1: And I mean are they people? Because it's interesting Poppy saying, you know, although she comes from an extended farming family, it's she's not directly she's not directly from you know, her dad didn't farm. So for you as a farmer, are you bumping into your neighbors and peers or have you seen it change that it's a broader church in Hadley young farmers than they used to be.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think through young through the seventeen years.
Speaker 5: I think when I started it very much was the children of previous generations. So when the clubs were big, and it was when the clubs were big in the eighties, it was the children of them that were coming through and I was in junior and farmers with But I think since then I've been running the junior clubs an adult, and I've been a member of the clubs. I think there's a noticeable switch of people because it's now the group of people that want to be countryside people and like the look of being a countryside person are getting involved and coming along and so they enjoy It's somewhere where it's totally acceptable to wear your weddies and put a shoffle on to mix with people more than perhaps just going to a nightclub and trying to mingle with townsfolk.
Speaker 2: I think right right, Just as a point of order on that, have you tried going to a nightclub in a shuffle just as you know for comparison and can trust.
Speaker 5: Well, I don't have any other uniform to wear, so yeah, if I was going anywhere for a shoffle, I think.
Speaker 1: Yes. Gona obviously is a life jacket for the young farmers. I gave a talk the other day to Poppies Club Debenham, and I have to say Marcus Jansen from Shoffle would have been rubbing his hands with glee because I don't think there was a single person in there. I mean there were guys liking singlet vests, but they still had their shaffle on, so you know, it's it's it's very important.
Speaker 4: Do they have a full complement of a singlet vest, a shuffle and a mullet or one today the full trio.
Speaker 1: Have you ever done Poppy actually an analysis of the mullet to member ratio of Debenham.
Speaker 3: No, I haven't been far. I think it's a mixture of hair cuts and monas well.
Speaker 1: It's it's a it's a it's some sort of statistical data that you should be doing. I keep telling all you young farmers that knowledge is king now in farming. Is you've got a baseline survey things. So I think between the two of you you're leaving present to Hadley YFC Welsh and Poppy as another thing you need to do is to go and actually assess the levels of mullet mullet them. But I mean that's an interesting thing you say, right, is that you said that people who want to be seen will as someone from the country side. I mean, am I correct in saying that rural is suddenly a little bit sexy for want of a better word in the wider world?
Speaker 5: Well, hasn't it always been sexy? I mean, you're you're fifty years old, at least at least.
Speaker 1: What's about ten? Yeah?
Speaker 5: Yeah, I think it is. I think since the whole Jay Holland Cooper branding has come out, countryside is sexy, isn't it. It's something that people are adalized and want to go on board with, and it doesn't really depend. No one's worried about the cost of it, right, anyone spends any amount of money on tweed and the whole look in the vibe and buying a landrover buying tweed, I mean, it's quite a cost that comes to it.
Speaker 4: But it's the look. Isn't it looks good on Instagram?
Speaker 2: Is there a sort of a fashion and an identity split between arable and livestock Because it's mostly livestock over here, and the club I was in was mostly livestock, mostly dairy, So I've got to imagine over here it's probably a little bit more ridgeline and sort of the shearing brands than the chauffeur.
Speaker 5: Yeah yeah, I imagine. Yeah, you don't get many singlets over here in our club. I must mean more arable farmers. We're all wearing Australian work shirts and dealer boots, but no one's wearing their flex attains to the pub at the moment we.
Speaker 2: Take on a night out here, there we go, we'll do an exchange program Baiales v Suffolk.
Speaker 1: That'd be a cool thing, poppy as a young lady in the Young Farmers is I mean when I remember in when I was a member of Young Farmers back when the world was young, what the hell that would be? From I think nineteen eighty four to nineteen eighty seven, I was a member of Sturminster Newton Young Farmers in Dorset because I was at school down there. Do I seem to remember that there were was a ratio of about five men to every single female?
Speaker 3: Have you?
Speaker 1: I mean, what's the sort of ratio men to women in Debenham Young Farmers.
Speaker 3: I think it's actually very mixed. I think we've got so many new members coming in now. I mean, I would definitely say there's more men over women or girls or what have you. But yeah, no, I don't think it's a huge drastic difference now. I think, especially now people are coming through and then they've got friends of friends that come and it's all getting mixed and it's nice to see a variety, really, but I'd say definitely maybe a little bit more of men, but not huge huge difference.
Speaker 1: Is that the same over your way? Will? Is that what's the sort of sex split?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 5: I hadn't really thought about it, but just listening to popery, it's made me realize that in our younger cohorts that are coming through now, obviously from sixteen upwards, I think a lot more of our new members are female.
Speaker 4: I don't know whether it's because people are.
Speaker 5: Well, because younger girls are more confident than young men to turn up to a random group of people and try to fit in. But yeah, we've definitely we're definitely female strong and Hadley not by much, but there's Yeah, there's definitely a higher majority.
Speaker 2: That was a trend even down into the nineties and the two thousands, so it was also seemed to be probably seventy percent male. But is that I wonder whether there's at the demographics of the number of farms that there are now has reduced that it's reducing every year, and people are having children later and possibly having fewer children, So does that mean there's fewer young people in their countryside therefore the ratios are mixed and sort of skewed towards the people coming in from the outside.
Speaker 4: Maybe yeah, probably, yeah, probably right.
Speaker 1: I mean, it's it's something that strikes me as well, and it might just be because of like say, Instagram and obviously with Clarkson's farm that opened the eyes to a lot of people, with that young lady from Derbyshire. I can't remember her name because I'm not very good with things like that because I'm very old. But it's something that that women the more obvious now in farming. It used to be that here's the farmer and here's his wife, whereas now you're seeing more obviously that it is actually an industry where you are getting the work done by whoever can do it, rather than oh, that's the job for the men and that's the job for the women type thing. I mean, is there something poppy that you do you feel as a as a as a young woman that there is are still an US and them male to female in farming or is it something that you don't really come across.
Speaker 3: It's tricky because obviously I'm not in a farming industry. But I think.
Speaker 4: It's hard.
Speaker 3: I think obviously, if you grow up in a farm, like in a farming household, and you can do that from growing up because you live on a farm and that's what you want to do, it's probably easier because you're part of a family, whereas maybe it is a bit harder. To be honest, I don't think it is nowadays. I think it's very much eat cord like to say. But then again, is that because I'm not in the like in the agriculture your industry, Like maybe I haven't seen it that Maybe I think girls or women would like to prove that they can do it or they feel like they have to try and improve just so that they can get along nicely kind of thing, if that makes sense.
Speaker 1: I get it. Is the fact that but you don't feel that there's a there's a glass ceiling, or that there is almost you know, I'm that there is this misogyny thing that that we were told exists in young Farmers because there was some splash a few years ago because some young men had some t shirts on that were sort of slightly suggestive that it was still.
Speaker 2: My era, the Blackpool thing.
Speaker 1: That's right, yes, so so Will. How did that go down? Is it like one of the senior bods in Young Farmers? Was that something when that story splashed that you know that Young Farmers is just this full of misogynistic blokes. It's still blokey blokes and they're still smoking, and they're still drinking and shot chlory. You know, they might pinch pinch a girl on the bottom. Was that something that you almost got?
Speaker 4: You thought?
Speaker 1: That doesn't What were your feelings about it?
Speaker 5: Well, personally, Blackpool is is completely out of my world.
Speaker 4: It's the last thing I'd want to attend, I think for that.
Speaker 5: Reason because it coming out of it there's so many stories.
Speaker 4: Of crap like that that shine.
Speaker 5: A bad light on I don't know the organization or the gender or the age, but.
Speaker 4: Yeah, no, I don't.
Speaker 5: I don't think it shines the right light on young farmers or a true light in young farmers, especially in a time where the industry is trying to encourage women in and trying to.
Speaker 4: Show itself in the best light.
Speaker 5: I think this whole and I know it still happens that all the slogans on T shirts happens every year still even to this day, for the cheap laughs and everything, But yeah, I don't think it's probably not the best thing to be happening in a modern world when everyone's so politically correct. Anyway, It's just one of those Yeah.
Speaker 2: Do you think there might be an element of sort of family cultural peer pressure in some of those communities, because we have over here in Wales which I didn't grow up, but I've seen the effects of it. The Royal Welsh it's a big fair, big show in the summer, and there is a strong correlation between young farmers and certain nights at the Royal Welsh where there's effectively a bar set aside for them, and it's is carnage, it's probably the best way to put it. But the way it's discussed in those among the fire because we have friends who have watched their children grow up and then go off to these things. The dads are talking to the sons about their experiences there, all well shod maybe ten or twenty years before them or eighteen years before them, and then they're passing on to them, So there's almost an expectation you have to be a complete lunatic.
Speaker 1: You see. That is an interesting thing, right, and a question to both of you. See, when I was in young farmers or when I was younger playing rugby, all the things that were accepted norms in rural areas where you were bloated blokes. You've smoked Marlborough all the time, or you drank and drove, you did lots of things that were just considered would be considered by society now as not just unacceptable socially. Half of them get you arrested or get you thrown out of things. So therefore, you know, the whole idea is that lots of underage drinking, everyone smoked, everyone was sort of blokey, blokey, and it was I suppose in modern pass inappropriate. But was that actually just part and parcel of how rural communities are slightly different to our urban counterpart. Is there still this sort of gulf between town and country and just the way that of behavior attitude are you seeing it still thirty forty years later on?
Speaker 3: For me?
Speaker 5: Yeah, well, I think the way the modern world. Is there's such a stigma around young people. And I think in a rural community young people have painted in a good light, and in a in an urban community they're painted in bad light. I think when I speak to a lot of people about getting together friends, going for drink and everything, people always talk about drugs, right, and addiction and things like that. And I've been going out on nights out with my friends for probably ten years now.
Speaker 4: Drugs.
Speaker 5: I've never never known any anyone that I know get involved with drugs, and I think and in young farmers, it's the same thing.
Speaker 4: I've never everyone. Everyone likes to have a drink, but.
Speaker 5: I think, no, no, yeah, no one's ever mentioned drugs or I've been in a situation where it's involved because.
Speaker 4: No one's interested.
Speaker 5: Like you say, they'd rather smoke Morlborough golds than have a have a couple of clients when they're too young, than getting involved in illegal activity as.
Speaker 1: Such, that's reassuring. Is it the same poppy with with you know, you're nearly ten years younger than poor old Will here he's catching up with me fast. Is that something that you see? I mean, is there a gulf between you and your age group and peer group with those who perhaps might be same age peer groups in more urban areas.
Speaker 3: It's a tricky question actually now because I don't really have friends. I'd have my swimming friends, but like, apart from that, I'm very much I only have my young farmer friends. As sad as that might seem, but I think just with young Farmers, I think I go to the pub with them, or you go to the meets with them, and it's just real conversations like I don't there's not really you're just going. It's nice, chilled vibes that you don't have to worry about anything. You can kind of just talk about things, whereas maybe with some friends that are outside of Young Farmers, I just struggle maybe to find something more in common with them, or feel like I have to maybe act on something.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, that makes sense. It's very difficult to so do you find then it's actually something that because your interests are also your hobby, that that is where the Young Farmers works, whereas perhaps other social circles might be revolving around a sport which you play for eighty minutes, you know, and then that's it. You have a beer and then you go home and that's it, is it? Because the Young Farmers is more of a holistic thing surrounding farming country life, and it's also your social life as well.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think that helps massively. I think when you meet up, it's just a natural talking flow, like and it all kind of leads to one thing, Like you could talk about any thing you want, but it's all you've got in common. Like it just seems like everyone's in common to each other and we've all pretty much. I mean, the ages are a little bit of a variety, but it still seems like we're close in age people are. Maybe your friends might be moving out to a house, you might be at a different stage, but everyone shares what they're kind of going for in life, and I think it makes it work like that.
Speaker 5: And that's actually a really good point. Like Young Farmers is such a support support network as opposed to some friendship groups where you go out and it's a boast of who's done what, who's done this. But always find that you go to Young Farmers on a Wednesday night and no matter how bad your day's been, you don't talk to someone and you might talk through your problem and compare a problem or but you do talk about the bad things as much as you talk about the good things, whereas if you went out with some friends, you'd probably hide it.
Speaker 4: Young Farmers is completely the opposite. Which, Yeah, I.
Speaker 3: Think you come away from Young Farmers, like you say, will you could be really down that day, or you could be really happy, and I think you come away just feeling happier in general because people make you laugh. You laugh a lot, and I think you just feel a bit lighter when you go home. And that was my experience pretty much every week.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So a question for both of you then, is there because we always say on this show that sort of the rural element is kind of the minority now because most of the population live in towns most of the it's quite a small workforce, it's all quite a small community. Do you think that in the clubs you get the idea there's this sense that you are kind of a minority within the country by being rural. So therefore the clubs make more of an effort to make sure that everyone feels included because you're you're sort of the underdog a little bit.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: No, I think because we're all maybe from that background or we've got the interests of being rural. I think it does. We do a lot of things around it, and I think it probably brings us together some of the things we do, and even if we're like oh, Wednesday meet, we'll have different things where we go and meet people and do talks and tours. I think sometimes it will be interesting to other people, but still with people are really interested, they'll still come along because they want to learn about something, and it's a chance to actually learn something you probably would ever learn if you didn't go to Young Farmers. I think there's so much more opportunity to do things like oh my goodness from joining in like last year. So I'm quite I'm fairly new, maybe, but I've done so much that you just would never ever dream of doing if you just didn't join. Like I've played hockey for Eastern Aarian Compson. I don't play hockey, but it was a great day, a great opportunity. And yeah, that's not anything to do with farming, but it's still everyone together that's got random bits that connect everyone.
Speaker 5: I think, what do you think will Yeah, I think I think because it's an organization that it's trying to encourage as many people in that go against the name of the organization. I mean, if you had a football club that said, oh, we want non football players to come to a foot club, it wouldn't happen. Now, whereas Young Farmers is trying to get people in that aren't young farmers to come along. But going to a meeting because there's non farmers in a room of farmers, the farmers are so interested in what the non farmers are doing because it's someone different. I go along and I talk to someone and they've sat an attractor today, so we're comparing attractive. But then we've also got a scaffolder, so we go and talk to him about his scaffold polls or something. Or there's also a chapter that works in a fish shop. But the non farm that No, the farmers are so interested in what's going on outside of the farming world. And I think that mix in a who really creates a conversation. No one's on their phones, but everyone's talking, and I think that's the most important thing of a mate.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I noticed that. I mean I went to I've given a talk for both your clubs before, and a number of times you poor SAPs, but I have noticed is that there's a slight level of old world charm in the fact that you are introduced formally and then you are formally thanked. But there's also that thing is that I look around the room and no one is nodding off, no one is looking at their phone.
Speaker 4: There is a.
Speaker 1: Level of attention and politeness in that attention which I have to say is sometimes missing in other venues with other people of quite frequently people who are older, and they may even have bought a ticket silly fools to come and listen to me talk. So there is a there's a slight old fashioned without it being a derogatory term. There is a slight level of the old fashioned that I've experienced from all of the clubs in Suffolk and Norfolk that I've had dealings with, and that I think is part of the reason why I warm to the Young Farmers. And I have to say, you are the only organization that I don't actually charge a fig two to go and talk purely and simply because I think, well, A, I've got to go and try and pass on what I know about. But also is that I see that is genuinely appreciated, and you know that's it, and I owe a lot to the young farmers as well, because I found the same experiences as Poppy has had. I don't come from a farming family, but I joined the young farmers and I made loat and I just gathered knowledge like the sponge from my farming pals, and then they gathered knowledge from me bag well hunting largely, So you know, it was a fair exchange. It was a fair exchange. Now, will I want to get onto one thing because you is this right? It's your last year that you're actually yeah.
Speaker 5: Yeah, no, I'm coming out the top end now. So I've done my bit, and yeah I'm too old.
Speaker 1: I'm going to replace it?
Speaker 4: Well, I don't know. I honestly don't know.
Speaker 5: I think, well, the marathon running is going to take a bit more of a bigger step next year, so I think I think that's going to be where my attention goes instead.
Speaker 1: Okay, And of course you are the small matter of the chairman of the Hadley Show. Now for Richard lounging there on his chase long, yes he is. It's something The Hadley Show is how many years old?
Speaker 4: Will this is the one hundred and eighty sixth Yeah, year of the.
Speaker 1: Show, one hundred and eighty sixth year of the Hadley Show. So this is something of an institution in this county. Talk me through how you ended up as a young man doing being chairman of this Augustine ancient event, and what changes you dare make because of your fresh eyes on it that you dare make to something which is an institution.
Speaker 4: Yeah, very wisely put.
Speaker 5: So I became involved with a Halvy show the same way as young Farmers. I volunteered all of my time, more than I should have done to an organization. So I started when I was sixteen stewarding on the lighter roll off the Walkways, and then the year that my brother would show director in twenty eighteen nineteen, I got more heavily involved helping set up the show.
Speaker 4: And yeah take on his job of show Brown Science.
Speaker 5: And then since then I've been there through set up week and been at.
Speaker 4: Head steward meetings and everything then the lead up to the show.
Speaker 5: So yeah, we've got noticed of how much I've put into it, I guess. And so Anne Harrod, who had on the podcast last year, asked me if I'd like to take it on, and she and of course I said yes, I'd be stupid to have said no, and so I'm yes. I'm the third member of my family to do it. So my dad's done it, my brother's done it, and now it's my turn. So big things coming this year?
Speaker 1: Are they?
Speaker 4: What? Like? What like?
Speaker 1: Can you say?
Speaker 5: Because of So the Haddy Show supports all the local charities of Haley and Haley and Farmer's being one of them. So I've got as many community clubs and organizations.
Speaker 4: Involved as possible.
Speaker 5: So we've got the Rogan Club and the football club involved, and I've introduced a spotlight stage, so amateur dramatics and local solo art and also the high school cheerleaders are going to be performing, So anyone and everything something for everyone.
Speaker 1: Pride would be there if he wasn't, if he was laid out.
Speaker 4: If he could run.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I was going to say this. From everything you've said, this sounds like it's more than a small village fate affair. So is the Hadley Show a big deal in Suffolk life?
Speaker 3: Yes?
Speaker 2: How far is its sort of catchment for this? Is this a Suffolk thing? Is it an East Anglian thing? Is it just arable? What's the what's the sort of size of this.
Speaker 5: Yes, So in terms of on the show day, so we are local draws, so people that are attending the show tends to be local areas. So we have fifteen thousand people from the local area, so that's anywhere around Colchester, Ipswich in that area. But in terms of showing, so our sheep showing and our cattle come from Norfolk, Essex and Suffolk.
Speaker 4: We've all our sheep classes.
Speaker 5: And our cattle classes are sold near enough sold out this year from people coming from.
Speaker 4: All over East Anglis.
Speaker 5: So yeah, it's local community and greater community as well, greater farming community.
Speaker 4: And probably more livestock.
Speaker 5: Actually, I mean we've got this, I've got to display this year of farming through the ages. So we've got a shower horse and then attraction engine, followed by machinery from the nineteen sixties and then modern day machinery. So that's a bit of arable. But other than that, there's a big onus on our local livestock.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean this is a thing about these The local shows are one of those things that has survived quite well within the rural communities, aren't they Because they've sort of survived when a lot of other farming enterprises and farming community events have for one reason another sort of they've disappeared off the calendar. Is the community element of these shows a massive? Is that the big thing behind it? Is it something commercial? Why do these regional shows still keep going so well?
Speaker 4: I think I wouldn't say the one used, The one word we.
Speaker 5: Don't use with the Haley Show is commercial. Everything is small scale and local rather than worried about the money. But I think much like young farmers, it's the traditional side of it because it's still got your fair ground rides, but you've still got your small stools, your local producers, local food, local livestock, and socializing. A lot of people come to the Hanley Show and possibly see people that they haven't seen since the last show, that you catch up with all going on around traditional white wide span white marquees and stewards in fascinators, dresses, boiler hats and dark suits. And I think people like the traditional side of it. That's what say, was it over go into a festival?
Speaker 2: I guess if we ever do some scented candles from this show, I think one of them has to be the smell of a canvas marquee on a hot day over trampled grass, you know, just that and the dog tent the dog breeds tend to think is the other one we said we'd.
Speaker 1: Do not however, I do not want to have a scented candle of the scent of the beer tent of the Royal Welsh Show. After all, the young farmers no be quite a thing, Poppy, Are you doing anything at the Suffolk Show this year? Because the young farmers are quite famed for being asked to produce creative things as well as sort of going on farm busits and talking about tractors and pto shafts and the latest drill. You're quite often sort of asked to do create tip stuff. And I seem to remember that he's quite often shown off at the at the Suffolk Show. I mean, is that does that still go on? Now?
Speaker 3: Yes, we've actually got at the Suffolk Show this year. I think we're making like a wooden box in well, like a wooden square box. And I think we've got floristry, baking, what a bit of croach showing. I think, so it kind of all has to fit in this wooden box. It's very random, but it is quite cool. I think we've got I'm doing the baking side of it. Actually no, the baking doesn't need to be for the Suffok Show. That's for the Hadley Show, but they're kind of the box is still being used for the Suffolk Show, so a bit of like florestry work, which I know someone from Young Farmers is doing as they're a florists, so it is quite creative. And then I think we've got an obstable Yeah sorry, I can't say.
Speaker 1: That obstacle course yeah.
Speaker 3: At Suffolk Show. And then we've got sheep showing as well, so we've got a few things going on. Gets quite busy for us. And we've got a scrap book as well, so and obviously we've got the Young Farmer's stand as well.
Speaker 1: Do you use those shows as recruitment grounds and if so does it work? Do you get people sort of signing up as a result of that poppy?
Speaker 3: And we definitely have our stands to promote young Farmers and spread not awareness, but spread it about, spread the word about what we do and what it is like. But I'd say maybe for juniors it gets a bit more popular because obviously you're there with your parents you're a lot younger, and you go around and I think it's something parents look at and go, oh, look here it is, and then you show what you do and stuff. So maybe for younger children, definitely. I'm not so sure about maybe sixteen year olds and that, but definitely for younger children I think.
Speaker 1: I mean, well, you've always had a very thriving club. You mean you ran the junior section as well as part of your thing. I mean, how did you go about recruiting this disparate group of young people because I mean there are very few of them are actually farmers, sons or daughters in your your juniors. I noticed when I last spoke to them, surprise surprise about hedges at the Black Flea Barn.
Speaker 4: Was it Flee Barney?
Speaker 1: Okay, yeah, so I mean there's a lot of non far How do you go about recruiting these young people?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 5: Like probably says a show is a great place for a parent to be dragging their child in to go, oh you want to sign.
Speaker 4: Up or to sign up.
Speaker 5: But I think the best advert for young farms at the moment to get people involved is through social media. It's so easy to put a post up of what fun you're having, or the variety of meetings you're having, or the sports you've won, or anything. Because it's you can orchestrate a good photo on social media to show a crowded room or a variety.
Speaker 4: Of people in a photo.
Speaker 5: And that's how, especially in junior's clubs, I've I came to have waiting list of people wanting to come because we had so many people wanting to come that it would have made it unsafe to have them all, good God to come at once.
Speaker 2: Well that's that's the result. What's the what's the spread of ages?
Speaker 4: Then?
Speaker 2: Now for young farmers? What's the lower and upper limits?
Speaker 5: So ten to sixteen for juniors in Suffolk and then sixteen to twenty eight for seniors.
Speaker 4: So I spent I think.
Speaker 5: I spent five years giving up my Friday nights to play games and find people to talk to a group of ten to sixteen year olds. So yeah, it definitely came me out of the pubs anyway.
Speaker 1: Trying to keep that age group of young people infused their attention span and where it makes my Cocker Spaniels look like they're sort of you know, studious thinkers. It's absolutely bonkers. Did you end up tearing your hair out having to go and try and find something to entertain these young rural hooligans.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, there's not been.
Speaker 5: There's not many times I've had a talk from someone such as I don't know the local Lowland Search and Rescue and the end of the night with the game of Duck Duck goose to try and get a bit of energy before I send them home. I mean if I if I tried that, Hadley now, I think that, yeah, I'd be the only one.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I can, I can. I can see that. How are your numbers poppy at Debenham I mean, what do you have a junior section at Debenham So we've got.
Speaker 3: A genius and then we're there's more in it seniors. So I think at the moment we've got like sixty five members. But obviously they don't all come every week. A lot has you know, come when they can. I mean, lives are busy, aren't they. So we're certainly getting more I think definitely through other people and then they're like, oh, my friend she's going to come this week, or they're going to come, which is really good because it gets around the world, gets found.
Speaker 2: How does it working. Is that was the club I was in? You just sort of knew the club, and then you knew the next town sort of had a club, but there was one further along. Is it that each club is like its own separate organization or are you part of the county or how does that work you? There's a national Federation, isn't it. That's kind of a really loose collection.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Yeah, so there's there's NFY, the National Federation, and then under that we have the Suffolk Federation, right, and then we're clubs under that federation. Yeah, so plenty of people to tell you what you can and can't do when you're trying to plan a party.
Speaker 1: Or how much did the Clarkson factor influence the spiking membership? Was? Was it? Do people go and watch Didley squat and they went I want some of that? They wanted to be Caleb? Did you did you see a spike poppy because of because because of Clarkson?
Speaker 3: No, I don't think so. To be honest, I haven't noticed. To be honest.
Speaker 1: With you, I think well that ruined that ruined that, that question, didn't it?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 1: Bill, did you notice.
Speaker 2: Just loading in this question?
Speaker 4: I'm going to say yes, that really will.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yes, I think so because people were because Clarkson was so honest about what was going on and the good and the bad. We And it also came just after COVID, didn't it. So I think there was a there was a correlation between COVID happening and Clerks unhappening, and I think both had a positive impact. People were trying to get out again. People were either good joining sports clubs to try and get out and appreciate seeing people, or young farmers. And I think, yeah, a lot of people got into young farmers at that point because they realized that it wasn't that industry that was pretty food of old people talking about the archers and realized it's a group of young people talking about the Yeah, I.
Speaker 3: Think it's different. Like I've definitely well, I point noticed the difference in like maybe young people doing more tiktoks around farming, and I'm not sure if that's because of Harriet and Caleb and the whole the whole series of that. I think that definitely influenced young farmers to do more social media because of Caleb and Harriet.
Speaker 1: Okay, so that's interesting. So I mean it is I mean, I'm not on TikTok, I have to say, but you are.
Speaker 2: You just don't know it. I put them on there.
Speaker 1: Oh dear shit, what time it does? It does seem though, because they then sort of morph over, sort of six weeks later onto what the old people are on Instagram and X and I do see more, you know, younger farmers, and they are when it's lambing season there they are, everyone's lambing. And then it seems to be that there was a uniform for lambing and oh hello, we're sudden in our tractor again, and everyone's got that same shot of them, you know, so it's looking through the steering wheel at them. That's interesting is that that has helped the sexying up of farming too, because you think that the TikTok generation of the new agriculturists, even if they come from Peckham, that's quite interesting.
Speaker 4: I suppose farmers have always been a bit of a del boy, haven't they.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah. There's something we had when we started this stupid bloody podcast, which is about there about six months in where we thought we just wind it up, and then people were getting in touch saying now I listened to you when I'm out in the tractor, you know you're you're because when you're in a tractor going back and.
Speaker 1: Forth, particularly sort of this.
Speaker 2: Time of year, when it's you're on your own in the field and you've got four hundred acres to do before the end of the week, there's not a lot of talking and stuff to do, is there. So is the social and media element maybe a way of connecting with some other poor sod whoes in another tractor doing their four hundred acres. That like, you've sort of building a remote community that's not reliant on having to see somebody in person or somebody coming up to the to the cab to talk to you.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think.
Speaker 5: I think a lot of people in previous generations didn't have a phone in the middle of a field, barely had a radio and they might have listened to the radio one road show over harvest and that was that highlight of their year. But I think now, because we're connected all the time, it's made the job of sitting on our track to a bit more fashionable. Again, I think people because you're not disconnected from the outside world while you're sat down not really.
Speaker 4: Doing a lot.
Speaker 5: And yeah, I think social media has really helped with that. But then also similarly, I find myself now coming out the other side of the whole social media bubble, and I'm now ringing my friends a.
Speaker 2: Lot more good law.
Speaker 5: And I find I've got my closest friend in particular. I think we've phone in each other most days to have a chat, to catch up to ask what so and so is doing next door. But he's actually the habby and Farmer's chairman this year. But yeah, we speak to each other every single day on the phone. We probably message each other once in a blue moon, but we will speak religiously every day just for a chat, and because I know that he's sat on the tractor all day seeing no one. And again, I think it's the traditional aspect that a lot of people are coming back to just having a proper chat rather than and yeah Facebook message or something coffee.
Speaker 1: Is that the same with you? What's your social media useage?
Speaker 3: Other ones don't really. I mean I use Instagram, but I don't really do TikTok or Facebook very well. I do use social media for my job. Like Will says, it does spread the word in it gets people knowing where you are as a lot of coffee band, so I'm in different locations, so it does help to spread the word where I am. For my own personal useage, I don't use it too much.
Speaker 1: No, no, But do you mean is it something you find with your fellow club members? Is that you know when they are sat on that tractor, is that this is their world, this is their only means of communication with their peers. Yeah.
Speaker 3: No, I do have a few friends that do work long, long hours, and I do get some phone calls. I get some snapchats of what they're doing. So yeah, no, I do, especially when it's longer days and they're on their own harvest. If they can't make somewhere like what we're doing in an evening, then I'll just call them instead, okay, because it can be really lonely for them.
Speaker 2: So last couple of questions then, for both of you, Because well, as we know Richard Nigus over there is he is pretty much neolithic now. He is incredibly old and judging about his writing as well as actually from the nineteenth century. And I'm well on my way there. I'm sort of older than my years, although my leg is catching up with me in aging.
Speaker 1: Bits of it are very new.
Speaker 2: Yes they are quite bry on it. Yes they're still cooling down. But when you listen to sort of you know, from forty or above talk about farming and the countryside, it strikes me that all the commentators are very doom and gloom and all this and all the challenges and these are all the problems. But whenever I speak to somebody who's under thirty, they're quite positive and they're quite cheerful about things. And it seems to be like there's a lot more energy and enthusiasm at the bottom end than there is in the because what are we average age of a farmer's sixty two or something like that for a farm owner. So why is that something you guys have experienced yourselves. Is it something that you've noticed that sort of your peers are more cheerful about things and there's a load of misery old gets at the top end. Will's thinking of his future career there as well and calling his colleagues miserable old gits.
Speaker 5: Yes, yes, and I think, yeah, there's definitely there's definitely young people that are glass half full, and there's a lot of older people which are glass half empty.
Speaker 4: There's of course those ones that cross over.
Speaker 5: But I don't know whether that's because people aren't in charge, so they're just worrying about what shiny piece of equipment they've got, what the numb plate is on their tractor and not where, wondering whether money's coming from, and haven't got to worry about their inheritance yet. But then the other ones that are glass half empty are I suppose we've seen it, or we've been here, we've done that, we've tried it, it doesn't work, it's not going to happen. I think they're too settled in where they are and but not thinking about outside the picture and what it could be as such.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and I think it's hard. I think a lot of people, maybe from not just Debenham like all over, especially the people that are have their own home farms, do struggle and it's hard to be positive. And I'm not saying that they they're not being negative, but I think they're being realistic and I think they do struggle and they do find hard to see the positives because I suppose there is a lot at the moment that isn't positive. And I think when you are on a little farm, family farm of your own you do worry. It's hard not to.
Speaker 1: Yes, I mean do you get fed up with winging old toads like me gain? Well, I'll tell you what. It's the bloody Labor Party. It's one they've done. They've naked from me.
Speaker 2: Are you asking Will and Poppy that or me?
Speaker 1: But obviously we know where you're at, right right? Just shut up? Is it something I look at everything through the prism of the farming and I need healthy, wealthy farming to continue my business. So I am just as impacted as the farmer. You know, if the farm goes, my work goes. So it's something that I do look at. Is that we've got to have a political party that or parties that have some inkling and support of farming. I mean, you're now leaving young farmers. Will you're part of a family farm. Is it something that you're looking in the future and you think, regardless of what changes, we're stuffed or do you have or you are that Are you that half that glass half full character who's thinking, yeah, there's an opportunity here and it's still worth being in this industry.
Speaker 5: Well, I look at other people and think they're miserable, so they probably think so throughout me. But I'd like to think glass half full. I mean, everything could be could be better, but it could also be a lot lot worse. I mean, you don't have to look far around the world to find a country with an agricultural industry that's worse than ours and well better than ours. I mean we're stuck in the middle. I mean we're still there's still people trying to sabotage us, but there's people trying to help us out and find the route to make it work, and there's reward for that and there's a result from that. So I think, yeah, I don't think it's worth being miserable about because just because it's the way it is, it doesn't mean we have to like it. But in another four years time, we may have a different government and Niger Frage might be changing things and there might be Yeah, we might be in a different, completely different way of living.
Speaker 1: So yeah, yeah, well that's I think a jolly good place to end the main part of the show, because that is on a note of positivity. There is sunlit uplands possibly and a glass is half full, and more importantly mine's completely empty. The Adnams supply has run dry. Richard's with oh look it's all that so we can't see poppy Unfortunately, visual media again, Suffolk Internet has just sort of you know, done its thing again. Well look, thank you both for coming on. I think that we'll put some links on to the young farmers, so that should anyone listening to this be interested and how they can contact their local club. One final thing, because you know it's our show and we're allowed to do it. Will you've got one minute to tell everyone why they should come to the Hadley Show. Go good.
Speaker 5: Well, the Habby Show is the best advert for farming and the community in one place. Where else do you think you'll ever be able to buy a bag of fudge, see a sheet in fancy dress and also watch the high school cheerleaders In such a small area, the concentration of community will have a bit of everything and something for everyone.
Speaker 1: Fantastic date. Well, when's the.
Speaker 5: Date sixteenth of May twenty twenty six at wholbexs Park, hald happen excellent.
Speaker 1: Well, thank you very much both of you for coming on, and thank you for putting up with the slight metallic creaking sound that is my friend Richard Prudeaux thank you, goodbye everyone, thank you.
Speaker 4: So much for having goodbye. Thank you, thank you.
Speaker 2: Well, that was a spiffing out for