Speaker 1: Right, and and he's used the word disjointed. I've used it a couple of times in the stories. How do you become undisjointed? If that's the right word with the people you have on the roster?
Speaker 2: Well, again, I you know, not to place all the blame on him, but I think if if Caleb gets it going, it's going to open it up for others. I think, you know, they're going to some of the attention will come off of him, and uh maybe they leave more chances for the others.
Speaker 1: Just kind of relax, Okay with that, We're going to take our break here and come back now. We're back live here. Thanks for joining us back though here on I on the Ball. We went over a little on the last segment, as you probably all know that let's go take a break. Just kidding, No, you would be when it kept hitting the commercials and it played back to back for like eight minutes whatever it was. But if you like to call, please do we have some time. I'm not going to go to breaking news, although did you have something that you said was happening.
Speaker 2: Like what you got some Bowl games coming up to that. There's a lot a lot of stuff kind of happened on this Uh, the Washington State football coach took the.
Speaker 1: Job at wake Forth.
Speaker 2: Washington State also lost their quarterback. I know this this past week and to the transfer portal. So I don't know, you feel sorry for some of those teams that are still hanging around and waiting to join a conference as soon as possible.
Speaker 1: You did mention something at the beginning of the show, not on the air, but off here with the former ad here. Oh Greg Burn, Yeah, what was what was this?
Speaker 2: He was, he's he's pleading with Alabama fans to help fight back with nil money. Apparently there's not enough there because god, you know, they didn't get in the playoffs, and uh, he's he's upset about that, and it's time for alabamaation to fight back. He says, time for action. You know, they still went nine to three. They did lose to Vanderbilt. The world's gonna End's gonna.
Speaker 3: End for Alabama.
Speaker 2: You know, I don't know how much they need, but their recruiting class was still ranked like fourth in the country, behind you know, Texas and Georgia and.
Speaker 1: Well either Oregon. Here's the other thing that I'll give you credit for two in that conversation we had earlier. What did you say about what I said? They finished ninety three, So that NIL money is not going to help right, beat that or built or what. You know what I'm saying, it didn't help them.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I wonder how Greg Burnin would have done here with the nil because he was a really great fundraiser. Yeah, in the you know, in the in the normal times, but you know when things switched up, and the athletic department was really at the beginning of this was really not involved with nil SU. That was more of an outside group and it still is. But now that you know all this money is coming into the schools, you know, starting what next year with the twenty million dollars coming to each school, how that's going to play outs on?
Speaker 1: Are the things I didn't realize that maybe you did this, you did at the time. Okay, so they got twenty million, twenty two million. They have percentages divvied out for these teams, right, and someone said yesterday and I can't remember who saw the sources is whatever, but that sixty five percent of it is going to go to football and basketball. Right, there's still twenty one other school. There's still twenty other school of sports sports that they get a gift to and there's not gonna be a lot of I don' I think maybe it was it was Leb yeah talking about this, and I'm thinking I thought it was going to kind of be delivered equally.
Speaker 3: I don't think so.
Speaker 1: How naive of mine.
Speaker 2: No, I mean those quarterbacks, they're the one they're still making the big money.
Speaker 1: The mind then, I know, honestly, like I said, David, if I had a daughter or a son playing something else who works just as hard in track or volleyball or whatever, and they're getting a pittance of what the quarterback is who's not even playing, right, that's a little that's a title line thing, isn't it. Well?
Speaker 2: And also too, that's probably again why the portal is so full of two thousand athletes that are looking you know, I just made you know, twenty five thousand dollars here at ex University and this guy out here is making fifty thousand.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm gonna I mean, it's got to be that all of that.
Speaker 2: They all have agents and they're all you know, I mean where the big money is and you know where they think they can play.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's all that Dave. It's just really strange. And I'm sure you saw maybe you didn't. I saw a column by Greg Hanson talking about the idea. I'm not saying that there's not enough. And she's she was on our showl last year and she talked about how did they compete with the l s U s and the other schools trying to get those players when they don't have very much one hundred and fifty thousand whatever it is. Guess what Arizona is? What it is? Yeah, it just and you had to go and search money. You knew, you one of those guys. How do you sell this place? That Arizona is what it is?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean you have to look and you have to just try to get people, you know, connected somehow, whether it's hosting events, there's all kinds of kind of tricks to the trade.
Speaker 1: How many were how many were there of you were there in fundraising?
Speaker 3: Oh, there's like, I don't know, sixty sixty quite a.
Speaker 1: Few, Okay, so you're you get sixty people sixty it's going out again or you know, in the field right, searching for food, right, And it's it's it's part of the part of the job.
Speaker 3: It really is.
Speaker 2: And then that's really what people I think alumni kind of expect to be contacted sometimes, especially if they're doing well. You know, there's the whales out there. I guess if you want to, didn't really call them that. Sure, there are people that big donors, and you hope that they would find, you know, another reason to give. You know, if football struggles again next year, you know they're going to be looking even deeper. There's there's young people out there too. There's a lot of people who are but they also have to be loyal. I mean, they have to be loyal to the school. They have to be loyal to the team.
Speaker 1: If they don't, Okay, like Steve, Steve rivera here ms you calls me, says, dude, it's good luck to you. I'm really not a fan, never really have been. Good luck to you, and I wish you well, but I can't do it, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: Well, I think the majority of people are that way. I mean, there's there's a lot of people who are given you know, one hundred dollars a year and tells you about it, and there's not many giving you know, ten thousand a year. But they want more than that, and every school is looking for that. And Greg Byrne when he was here, we're just mentioned with Alabama, you know, when he was here, he was a phenomenal fundraiser. That was his kind of claim to fame when he showed up. Oh, he's a great fundraiser as opposed to whoever was before him.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 2: And he learned from his dad, and he learned from Jim live and Good who was also great at that.
Speaker 1: Well, the guy that was very good at it, and he was apprentice under Jim because he's a bs or and he's a friend of mine, you can say that is del Conte, Yeah, who was fantastic at it. He did it at TCU and at Texas and he's got that. He's got that, yeah and there, and they're probably the richest team out there or school out there because of it. He's done really well. But to be fair too, I think that Desiree one of the reasons they brought her in is she's that person too. But but how do you become that person when you're you're the first you're new, right, you're new, and if people kind of knew you, yell, desire is coming in. We know what's but now she's new. Now she has to find and shake hands and kiss babies and do all this stuff.
Speaker 2: Well, I mean other than I mean, Oregon's kind of you know, new money, I guess in the last thirty years. But like, look at these programs too, I mean, Georgia, Alabama, Texas, they're all traditional powers. They've been around, you know, their alumni is you know, goes back hundreds of years. Basically they got all that oil money in Texas. Yeah, you know, there's there's in Texas. And M's endowment is enormous. It's up there with with everybody else, all the big ones. I mean, you know if that's the case though, too, why is in Stanford doing great because their endowments is number.
Speaker 1: Well, because they're they're they're their priority on academics and athletics is probably a little bit different, right Cal too, probably.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Cal Stanford.
Speaker 1: S C.
Speaker 2: I'm sure they're because they're private, they don't have to disclose everything.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So so we'll see, we'll see what she does and what they do and and uh and and you know what, I know, it's about the money. I know it is. I know it is. Uh, But if you don't have the money, and Arizona has been this way for a long time. They found ways by coaching them up. You know, you're talking about Bama with all that they had saving right, probably the Rolls Royce of coaches. Now when you're when he's gone, how are you gonna find another Rolls Royce? The coach they have now about Debau is not a Rolls Rooye. Right, guess what, He's not gonna turn into a Rolls Royce. He's just not a Rolls Royce. So, yeah, Greg, you can bring all the money in the world you bring in, it ain't gonna work. Yeah, does that make sense?
Speaker 2: Well, you're right because a lot of the players come to Alabama because of Nick Saban you know, yeah, the money too, but also against and get a chance to play for him. He puts all these guys in the pros. They can all kind of know what you're gonna get when you get there.
Speaker 1: That's why I think that North Carolina it's gonna do okay, because they're gonna go for the reason to play for for him, for him, and he's a pretty good coach. And guess and you've seen this success snold balls into more success. Yep.
Speaker 3: Good coach, good good school, really good school.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, and the conference is not going to kill you in the ACC. It's not like he's playing in the SEC or at the Big ten. So yeah, I would not be surprised. I bet you know year two that probably you know, ten wins things like that. Yeah, and maybe in the playoff.
Speaker 1: Right right, and he's seventy two ish, right, how much long is he gonna go? Right? Right? Well, and then his son will probably come in and blah blah blah. But seventy two coach to his seventy five ish. I know Luke wanted to coach longer, and the circumstances happen. Yeah, it's we talk about the end game, right, I think we talked about the end game.
Speaker 4: Yep.
Speaker 1: When do you say goodbye?
Speaker 2: I thought Belichick did that? Yeah yeah, yeah, he's back, right, he won't go away. He's a coach for life.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Well, well, coach k went probably a little bit too longer.
Speaker 1: Too deep, Yeah, most of them. Do you know? The checks keep cashing, the wins keep coming.
Speaker 3: Right, Yeah, mister Nike keeps sending your money.
Speaker 1: We got about another minute or so and then we'll take off and bring our guy from the Indianapolis Star, Justin and I'll get his last name, I promise, talked to him about covering McConnell, covering about Mathrin, all these guys. I think he may have been covering them when when.
Speaker 3: Jared Bayless no no.
Speaker 1: No, the one that very stoic, very very good uh player kind of started with Loot Uh is end of Loot and with Sean didn't play for Lute, but she came on with Sean. It'll come to me eventually, I'll tell you. Yeah. Yeah, so talk about to Orans too. He went from there to New Orleans. Yeah, why can't I? God, getting old sucks.
Speaker 2: I mean the Pacers have been around, of course from the their ABA days, and they've had great success, you know, pretty much forever. But that we'll talk about a basketball state and now football state. With these two teams playing each other around the of the college football playoffs, that's gonna be kind of fun for Indianapolis.
Speaker 1: Yeah, to have that Dustin dope brick, let me go. Okay, so we'll see, Okay, bring him in. Okay, let's take a break down. He's already texted me when are we gonna call him? So let's do that and come back.
Speaker 5: On the side with Just Streamy live on the Ihearts Radio AB. This is I on the Ball with Steve Ravera on Fox Sports fourteen fifty eight.
Speaker 1: Hey, welcome back to my Iying the Ball here on Fox Sports fourteen fifty I'm Steve Rivera and will be the day is Dave Silver now on the phone. We have Dustin Dope HERECT from the Indiana Star or or Indianapolis Star. How you doing. I'm gonna keep you for like ten minutes. That is that? Okay? So you were waxing poetic, You were waxing poetic on TJ. How was it covering? How is it covering him?
Speaker 4: Yeah? No, it's been enjoyable basically from a just watching him standpoint. Obviously that he's I mean, obviously he's a heck of a player with certainly, you know, it's kind of an inspirational sort when you look at the guy that was went undrafted, was always undersized. I mean, I grew up, I grew up in Pittsburgh myself, so I had a outside of Pittsburgh myself, so I knew about him, and obviously I graduated high school in college long before he did, but you know had a sense of the mcconald's. I mean obviously know his on Susie. I covered up one of a couple of her names bacially when I was living in Tennessee. I did Sweetlance to turn the NCAA tournament when when Tid was there one year. So knew about the mcconnald's and how important they were. And I remember, uh, TJ. I mean TJ was really undersized early high school and obviously grew up a little bit, but still you consider I mean, he he's he's the ultimate coaches kid. And then you know his dad certainly was a big deal as a high school coach just in the Pittsburgh area. But it's just that really smart, really savvy player. But you know, you don't always expect a guy like him to be able to make in the NBA because that undersized. But if he's just been uh for the Pacers, he has been so important for them, and you obviously seem he's gone ten years into this league and always found a way to make an impact somewhere. But he fits this group particularly well. Their style of play. Basically, they really under rikhy Allow and really since they got Tyreez Halliburton in particular, they've played a lot faster. They've based their idea of what they do on getting downhill and playing with pace. They're not as good at it this year as they were last year when they literally were the highest scoring NBA team in forty years. But it really fits. It really maximizes what he can do. It allows him to really play downhill and opens up his goal to score the basketball, and that's something he didn't always do a lot of in Philadelphia or even just with the Pacers, with the previous interierations under NAMEC Millan named Yorker. And this opportunity has really allowed him to flourish and to shine in ways that he never had the opportunity to because I mean, he has this really funky, fascinating game. There's not I haven't seen anybody else in the league who plays like him. Yeah, and he makes them a really really hard guard because he gets down hill, he gets to this little six foot jumper. He might run around underneath the backet basket and curl around and get a shot there. There's this He scores in ways and not a lot of other people do, and it makes him a really really difficult cover. And he's a guy that you I mean, basically, he'd just drive you crazy if you have to defend him, because he can just beat you in so many different ways. And you've got this guy again. He's undersized, he's sixty one, he's got no wingspan to speak of, but he found a way to get bucket after bucket after bucket. He's having the best year of his career at the age of thirty two.
Speaker 1: It's funny because Justin Day was in the business and TV I went a newspaper business and and Sean would say, he's gonna make it, He's going to do it maybe, And we thought, Okay, you know, you're trying to, you know, appease him and and all that stuff, and we're all looking at each other. There's just no way ten years later that he's rich and and doing exactly what you're saying.
Speaker 4: Yeah, no, exactly. And then I talked to Sean a little bit about him for a story I did last year, and I think it's because, I mean, they see the determination and Sean was a very it was a similar player basically in Pittsburgh, you know, growing growing up there, you know, pitt played a pit and everything like that. I mean, Shaun was a better shooter, uh basically where TJ. TJ apparently was a pretty good high schoo shooter right now. You know, that's kind of one of the fascinating pieces about it. The NBA has become so three corner driven. H So you would think you can't make it as a point guard in the NBA if you don't shoot threes, and TJ barely ever does. I mean, basically, the only time he shoots the three is if he feels like he has to because he's wide open and he just has to, you know, at least try to make them pay when they go under a screen or something like that. And every once in a while they'll hit one of those. But you know, I mean, for a guy that doesn't dunk and doesn't shoot threes, again, he's averaging double figures. And if you if you you know, branched out like his per thirty six numbers are crazy when you actually consider the minutes he's playing. I mean, he's somewhere around twenty a game because he is coming off the bench. But it's it is fascinating how it works. I Mean, this is the guy that's just determined and again I mean like obviously basketball like he was through the roof, you know, like the if he's passed the classic coach's kids beyond, Like his level of basketball, like Q is so high, right, But you know again, it's just found something within this game basically, like something that nobody else was doing and there's something therefore nobody else was prepared for. And so you know that every once in a while, That's how the game works in basketball, baseball, football, other sports is sometimes you got to go the opposite direction that everybody else is going, and that's where you find your niche and your opportunity because you know, everybody else gets used to defending whatever that is and they're not used to this. And there's so many guys that you watch you're like, you're just not ready for what he can do. And because he can finish a butt in front, you can finish behind. Had a really just fun conversation last year with Tyree Salibert, and I asked him, basically, ty how is he to do this? Because ty is tie is also a fascinating guy basketball mind. You know, at was just off the charts and he just was like he's like, you know he's got every kind of finished.
Speaker 3: He can beat you every.
Speaker 4: Different way, and you don't realize that. You look at it and you think he's undersize, and you don't think him as being as athletic as he is. But he's I mean, first off, he's really really fast with the basketball and hand, and there are just so many ways that he can get you. His touch is just phenomenal, you know, inside the arc and really inside.
Speaker 1: Of ten feet.
Speaker 4: I mean it's hard to get downhill really fast and do what he does. As a way tyres put it, he's like he's got great breaks, you know. And I thought that was a fascinating way of putting it, that he is able to kind of be going sixty miles an hour and pull up and not just you know, have so much for momentum going he can't make the shot. He's able to harness that, you know, in the middle of playing one hundred miles an hour and just stop where he is, pull up and make it. And he started I started noticing this. He told me he didn't know what I was talking about, but you know, he does this thing more now where he's pulling up in the lane and twisting, so he's squaring up to the bucket in the air and continuing to twist after he lets it go and making these shots and if that is another element, makes another thing that makes him a hard recover, and all of it is. Again, it's just fascinating to watch how it all works. That he's just created this offensive game that nobody really has an answer for, and that he could rely we get you know, ten to fifteen a night, and then he had thirty against Charlotte a couple of weeks ago. Uh, and you're just like wow, like how does he does this? But he does it night after night after night, even even when people know what's coming. It's obviously showing up on film when they can't stop it.
Speaker 2: Anyway, I guess tonight too, is the ceremony here in Tucson and the whole team is supposed to be here.
Speaker 1: Is that?
Speaker 2: That's what we're hearing Rick Carlisle on the entire staff and everybody coming in.
Speaker 1: What what?
Speaker 4: Why is it?
Speaker 1: Is it a function of the coach or is it a function of the of the administration?
Speaker 3: Are they are they ordered to come or they just loved they just left?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 4: Well it was what was cool? Was you know last year. Yeah, they did the same thing for Benedict Mather and use he was you know, got in for being a PAC twelve Player of the Year and so I went to that. So I was on that trip already and basically like he, you know, the Rick kind of pushed me to make sure that I went, because I didn't know about it when we started on the road trip, but he actually like they they put me on the plane to make sure I got there, basically so they could have somebody there to cover it, and put me on the bus to drive me back. I mean, I had a hotel booked for Phoenix. They didn't tell me until the night before when we were in Portland basically and said hey, can you get down there? And I talked to my boss to make sure it wasn't an ethical issue that I could go, and so basically because when I already had a flight sched and I just had to sort of dip off of that and you know, couldn't make it for this one. But this year, you know, last year, I mean like most of not everybody went, basically when they had just traded Pascal Fiakam and just played his first game with the Visions the night before. I know, he wasn't on the on the on the bus that went to Tucson, and so, I mean, I'll presume I'll see if there's I don't know if there'll be anybody who just goes all the way up, but there was last year there was a bus that went from the they landed in Tucson and they had one bus go straight to the arena from there, another bus went to Phoenix and then basically after the game that that bus, you know, the bus that went to Tucson, that went to to McHale, you know, went up to Phoenix. But yeah, I mean it, basically, I mean it. It is a function of the coach in the sense that this is the stuff that matters to Rick Connla. I think that's a really fascinating piece about him that I've noticed, is it's it's really important to him that you celebrate your victors, you celebrate your small things. You understand that you know, for any of these guys, this is fleeting and no matter even if you're in the league for ten years, tj as or fifteen years or twenty years, at some point the ball stops down and at some point you have to move on. But while you're in it, you know, you should enjoy it. And it also looks to create you know, basically, you know, bonding opportunities. I mean, when they're at their best, and they haven't been there at their best this season, but when the Pacers are at their best, when they're at their most connected, and you know, over the last couple couple of seasons, even going back two seasons to go, when they won thirty five games, and I think that was the happiest thirty five win team I've ever seen, sub five hundred team I've ever seen because they were young and they were figuring it out, but they were figuring it out together. And you know, stuff like this I think creates those bonding opportunities when you say, we're going to celebrate this. This is for one of our guys are doing this, but we should all be a part of this. We should all see this and celebrate, you know, our teammate. Like That's how require looks at it, you know, and that that you remember the you know, last year with the the scuffle with Gianni's in Milwaukee was basically the idea that they and they do this for everybody. When someone scores their first point their first NBA points with the Pacers, they get the game ball and after sheib Way you know, hit a free throw late in that game when Jannis had sixty four, and you know, there was a pro fusion into what ball somebody had and there was just you know, got got into it over there. But that is the thing that they do, and you know that that's what Carlo explained. And it seemed weird to everybody, like what do you mean you got the game ball for the guy who scored one point in the blowout loss, Like what do you mean like that guy should just not get it. But the Pacers were like, no, this is what we did. We did this for everybody. And then we just saw Enrique Freeman, you know, one of the two way guys, and we really even practice the other day and Enrique was walking out with his ball from when he got his first points. They just decorated it, uh and given it to him and like that's that's the thing that Carlo likes to do that he thinks it's important for this to make sure that guys, you know, get their opportunities to really drink in things that they've accomplished and that they celebrate them.
Speaker 1: Together as a team.
Speaker 4: And so that's a push that was made again, Like like last year was important for Rick that everybody went to math rooms and he said, last year, you know, TJ is going to hit ten years next year, so we're gonna come back again. And so that was a decision that was made, you know, last year that they were going to get as many guys as they could, uh to come to this game. So it is something that that Rick really pushes.
Speaker 1: So we've got about two minutes there, we're tyled dustin dust, dustin dope. Pierreka from the Indianapolis Star h tell us real quick about Ben because everybody loves Ben too here. Uh, we know the talent we see he's kind of opposite of of the TJ.
Speaker 4: Yeah, he's in an interesting, interesting space and he's he's had some ups and some downs this year. Basically they you know, went into the year not knowing if he was going to start, you know, didn't start when the season began, and they've had some injuries that are forced men in the starting lineup, which lets which has let some more opportunities, uh, some opportunity, you know, some chances for him to really play a lot to not really be concerned about getting toold or anything like that. Some of those guys are coming back. Aaron Smith is soon, Ben Shephard is probably going to come back on this trip, might even play tomorrow night in Phoenix. So we'll see how that changes things for matter or not. And he's still obviously going to be a big part of the rotation. You know, it's this question of is he going to still start and still play the same amount of minutes. But you know, obviously, I mean oftensively. You know, if he's not their best one on one tour, he's their second best to me, if it's either him or Pascal Siakham. And you know, in terms of just being able to when it's you versus the other guy, go get a bucket. Benedict Master is as good as there is add I mean the other parts of the game where he's had to get better. I think one thing that's been a difficult I don't know if the word is transition for him, but just it just it's been difficult for them to figure out how to work him in to the system they play. It's not not that he doesn't know what plays to run or whatever, but basically the pacers are at the best one. The ball just moves basically when everybody's passing, when everybody's moving around, and you know, Mathurin's skill set is more one on one isolation base. The guy that likes to, you know, get the ball on the wing and you know, you know, crossover dribble you a couple of times, jab step at you, uh, and then go and then go as you and find a way to score. And you know, sometimes that's exactly what they me. Sometimes the ball's not moving the way that it should and somebody needs to go get a buck bucket late in the clock. And he's very very good at that. But it's just like, okay, well, how does that fit in? You know, when you're moving the ball as fast as they want to, when you're playing a lot of pace, and they've tried to get him to be better at just be a better catch and shoot guy. Be a guy that just makes quicker decisions. You know, it's okay if you drive the basketball, but you know, don't take two or three dribbles to do it. Make a decision when you get the ball whether you're gonna go out the guy or not. And if you're not going to move the ball. If you are do it fast and you know, get downhill. Uh, if someone you know basically cuts you off, then pass, you move the ball. If you get two bodies at you move the ball. So that's been I think a you know, it's been an adjustment. And sometimes you know, when the offense isn't working where it's supposed to. I mean, it's very easy to go back to saying, well, look, why don't I just do what I'm good at? You know, why don't I just play my game as supposed to trying to be somebody else? And so I think there's there's been this constant you know, push and pull as far as that's concerned in what his game is supposed to be. And there's been some adjustments. He's had some fantastic games, he's had some that haven't in his grade. I mean, I think there's he's made some improvements on defense. He's gotten a lot better as a rebounder. I think that's one thing that's really stood out. His rebound numbers are dramatically better. He's getting better as an outside shooter. That's made him a better catch and shoot option. So he's finding his way. I mean that again, the talent really really stands out, and so I think that's one of those things people they sometimes talk about. Okay, well he can be able to play with Tyree Haliburt and does he ultimately fit this So they're going to have to move on from him and send him someplace where he's gonna be a better fit. I mean, he's just so talented. It's really hard to move on, okay, because you don't know how good he can be, because he could be.
Speaker 1: Well, Dustin, we appreciate your time, thanks for thanks for calling again, and we'll see you enjoy Phoenix and the team. Well, dude, thank you so much, appreciate it. Thanks here, and we gotta go. We gotta go, and we'll come back right after this. If you're an Arizona men's basketball fan, you know it's been successful for nearly forty years. Now take a look back at the Ludelsen era in my new book, Lessons from Loot. It was a labor of love through the eyes of twenty five former players, coaches, and friends to give insight to the coach and the man who led them, competed against them, and inspired them twenty five chapters for his twenty five years as Arizona's beloved coach. Lessons from lut is an insight to how he built the program into a national powerhouse. Want one email me at Steve dot RIVERA ninety five at gmail dot com.
Speaker 6: Hi, this is formal while get lemanhandeally with Arizona Health. Imagine how home GM can change your health, your comfort, and your ATTII. Arizona Health is everything you need to transform your personal.
Speaker 1: Space and your life.
Speaker 6: We off a complete line of cardio machines, multi gyms and freewaight equipment.
Speaker 1: I'll certify is.
Speaker 6: Experts and technicians will set you out with the right equipment and training to get you started to keep you going. Visit our share room today at twenty second in Wilmot. Arizona Health the lead edge and exercise equipment.
Speaker 7: What's your goal a new career or career advancement? How about transferring to a four year college. PEMA Community College can help you make Someday today and reach your goals affordably on your schedule. With over one hundred programs to choose from and financial data available, it's time to earn the degreer certificate you need to prepare for the career you want. PEMA offers free career exploration classes so you can choose the field that's right for you. Learn how at Pima dot edu. Slash someday, Hey.
Speaker 1: Tuson, Steve rivera heir, and I've got a tip for you. Want to be in good hands while cruising the desert or kicking back at home, then you need to call my friends at the Edmund Markets All State Agency. These guys are the MVPs of home and auto coverage. Whether it's a fender bender or a leaky roofed, They've got you covered. Don't fumble your chance to say call them today and score big on your insurance. With the Edmund Marcus State Agency, You're always in good hands. Visit them at twenty seven nineteen North Campbell or call him at five two zero three two three nine three three three. Selling your home want to get more money for it? Well, Danny Roth can help you. He told me about as you Flip the Home you Own program. The program allows for a homeowner to fix up their home to sell without using any of their own money. They will be able to sell the home for a much higher price. Danny Roth with Armny Holmes International is the real estate consultant in Tucson that offers this program. He has consistently been the top agent in Tucson for the last thirty years and has sold over ten thousand, five hundred homes. For more information on this program or just buying our selling a home, called Danny Roth at five two zero four nine zero four thousand. Welcome back to id the Ball here on Fox Sports fourteen fifty. I'm Steve Rivera, He's Dave Silver. We went a little long, but it is good. Thank you, dustin the Indie Star. Good insight, insight, but it's like telling us the stuff that we already knew about TJ. Right because he's that guy. Yeah, he's that guy. And I'm sure there's guys here who wish, wish they could be that guy, but they probably don't know all the things that go into being that guy. You know, smart and IQ and and they think talent is the what wins the day. No, it doesn't.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and again being a coach's son being I'm sure he's been around basketball in his entire life, and he gets to the highest level of the game, playing with the greatest players in the world, and he's perfect for that, you know, He just signed a four year extension this year with them for you know, ten million a year. He's already made over thirty five million. As you know as a slow point guard that you know, he's got some finesse. And I was going to joke with Dustin, like, you know, he's got that kind of patented little jumper he does. You know, from six feet out, he's in the land of the giants when he's doing that.
Speaker 1: Too, he's not, but he said he had that arc. Great, Yeah, he kind of has.
Speaker 2: You know, it's almost like a globe trotterish kind of move where he just circles around the paint.
Speaker 1: So do you play pink pong? Yeah, a little bit.
Speaker 4: I used to.
Speaker 1: I used to play a lot, Yeah, a long and I was halfway decent. And you see these guys they just slam and slamming good. And you see other guys who just kind of like hit the ball back, right, hit the ball back, and the other guys get frustrated. He's hit the ball back And you think these guys are any good? How do they keep it up? Well, they just played no mistake, mistate free and they don't do any fancy. They just get the ball back.
Speaker 3: That was always my strategy in golf.
Speaker 1: Yeah, just wasn't getting straight exactly.
Speaker 3: I was just straight hit it two hundred and fifty yards.
Speaker 2: But if I could hit it like you know, one seventy five straight, you know, had a.
Speaker 1: Good putting game, right, You don't have no exactly a good analogy. But you know, I wanted to talk about tj W. I don't talk about Mathrin. Don't you think if you put Love's name in Mathurine spot, that's exactly what he's going through. This team thrives in in move movement, movement movement. Love is not doing that now, but once it does, and then he doesn't know how to play otherwise.
Speaker 2: Right, that's his style, that's his style. Yeah, I don't know. It's going to be cool to see him break out of the slump eventually.
Speaker 1: I hope.
Speaker 3: I hope it happens soon.
Speaker 2: I hope that you know, he can just you know, relax and you know, hit a couple of shots early on. I think that's what every every you know UFA fan is wishing for at this point.
Speaker 1: Right because Matthern is the NBA guy, He's the typical NBA guy, but he's a he's got a little trier in him. Give me the ball, get out of the way. But that's not them and and love here is give me the ball, get out of the way, And that's not Arizona. It's more of a function of move, move the ball, move the ball, get it to the open man. And for the first three years of Tommy it was the ball will find its open man to find a shot. Yeah, and it's not doing that. Well.
Speaker 2: Think about who these guys were watching when they were a little growing up. You know, Kobe didn't exactly give the ball up too many times. There's a lot of short there him, you know, but then there's you know guy now it's now it's Steph who does you know? He shoots a lot too, but he's also he's also a good, a good And.
Speaker 1: It's perfect for that offense. Yeah, the perfect for the offense because the ball finds it's open man.
Speaker 2: That these guys see, you know, Jordan first and then Kobe kind of following, you know, with that style of play where it's you know, just get.
Speaker 1: Out of my way. Yeah, get him away. I'll take control. Yeah I would. I don't want the NBA enough to know who else does that. I'm sure Tom do. But there's you know, like Joannest last night one they won the thing. He's not that guy in terms of he's not a point guard, he's not a perimeter.
Speaker 2: Guyye, Anthony Edwards, it seemed like you were kind of talking about him during the Olympics. Maybe the next of those of those great players kind of plays that same position.
Speaker 3: But yeah, Ben, he's still a kid his third year.
Speaker 1: And so much, so much talent. Easily he's the best player since uh in the last five years to me, maybe even longer than that because he's so talented. But right, I mean, he may be too talented for his own good. You remember when he came out, he says, Michael Jordan, I'm better than him, right, Yeah, he did say that. He didn't say that Google his quotes from uh no, no, no, it was Michael Lebron. Oh, I'm sorry, I don't want to miss quote a miss quote. Who is Lebron?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Lebron is You know when he first came out, he was a great passer. Remember when he was like in high school. That was kind of his thing. He wasn't a great outside shooter. Yeah, and he worked that into his game. Eventually of course.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no, no, good for the guys here. Obviously, Solomon Hill was the guy I was thinking about. He played for India.
Speaker 3: Oh that's right.
Speaker 1: I'm glad we need to ask about him, because we did another five minutes. Solomon was good. He was a good player here, just just a fundamentally sound just not very athletic, but just knew what to do and stayed in the NBA probably ten years, right or so. Nice career. And that was kind of the topic, right, you know, how he got more out of what he was capable of, right, which is I wish I could.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that would be you're going to talk about, right about tonight's ceremony. I so yeah, yeah, yeah, you got a chance to talk to any of players or besides teaching.
Speaker 1: I doubt it. They'll probably be in the room. But I doubt it because I know that Carlisle probably been there. But the question is, you know, how cool is it to have these guys supporting you. I think Ben, you know, he was there a year or two ago and said the same thing with all these guys here.
Speaker 4: I don't remember.
Speaker 2: Maybe this is the wrong player, didn't TJ like kiss mchaille Center Okay, that's what was a pretty memorable moment.
Speaker 1: In fact, that's kind of probably how I'll start the story because because yeah, no, that's what endeared him too. You know, everybody loved him. Josh did the same thing. You know, this was home to them, right, And remember t J was a transfer guy. The story that I have about TJ, we only got about a minute or so. Uh loot uh. It was it was the year that he came in and red shirted, and that teach mcconnall. No one knew that he just his only team and the Arizona team was pretty good still. And then I said, TJ, I mean, Luke, have you gone to the watch practice? He said, yeah, yeah, and they're pretty good. He said, they said yeah, but he said, the best guy's not even playing. And I'm thinking we talk about he said, yeah, they have this guard TJ. Something, TJ. TJ. Mcconnald says, yeah, he's fantastic. He can't play it yet because he was a transfer, right And I'm thinking I didn't. I didn't know him to until you see them. Oh, makes total sense, makes total.
Speaker 2: Who's a good player coming from Ducane? We are you know, we're in the big PAC twelve whatever. You know, what's Ducane? Oh they're this, you know, not even the biggest school in Pittsburgh. Right, So yeah, came on, came on strong, had a great, great run here.
Speaker 1: Right, no end. A very popular dude, very popular dude, A future coach, I think. Yeah, and you're thirty two years old.
Speaker 3: Ye give him ten more years coaching in the NBA somewhere.
Speaker 1: Okay, well thanks Steve coming in. Sure, we'll see you. You come in Friday. Yeah, okay, maybe