Speaker 1: You hear us talk about ways to unlock VIP membership through your Apple account in the Apple Podcast app and also through Patreon or Spotify. To unlock a full VIP membership with full access to archives and ad free website and customizable podcast feeds that are compatible with the Apple Podcast app and many iOS and Android apps, along with streaming ability right from our ad free mobile site, go to pwtorch dot com slash go VIP. That's pwtorch dot com slash go VIP That'll give you all the details on everything you're missing out on by not being a VIP member, the whole array of VIP exclusive podcasts like The Way Keller News bulletins, our post pay per view Roundtables, The Fix that I host with Todd Martin, Everything with Rich and Wade, and an array of other shows with different hosts and different themes, along with unlocking our archives dating back nearly four decades nearly two thousand. Pro Wrestling Torch weekly newsletters over two decades, a podcast on demand dating back to the mid two thousand, starting with pay per View Roundtables is of fascinating retro radio shows, including many that I hosted in the nineteen nineties and an AD free website. Exclusive content on that website only for VIP members written and audio, and a lightning fast, smooth, AD free VIP mobile site for all of our content. Don't miss out on all the benefits. Treat yourself to a VIP membership. PW torch dot com slash Go VIP go all the way Go VIP. PW torch dot com slash Go VIP.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 3: PW Torch brings you the Wade Keller Pro Wrestling post show.
Speaker 1: On today's Wayekeller prog Wrestling post show, we jump back five years too, our Dynamite post show covering the Wednesday, July twenty six, twenty twenty one episode of AW Dynamite. Greg Parks joined me as co host, just as he'll be doing on the Flagship this Tuesday, our new episode, and we talked not only about the show and with live callers, but with four on site correspondent. There was excitement about attending live wrestling again after COVID shut things down for so long, and they talked about the hints of cm punk, the United Center announcement and how cmpunk could be utilized. Also, Hangman Page's failure to secure an aw title shot and what that means. Cody Rhads being booed against Malachai Black, a wild ten man tag match, opening the injury to Cash Wilder, the latest with Britt Baker's character and future title defenses, and much more so. Let's get to it again. This originally livestream five years ago this week on July twenty eighth, twenty twenty one, and it is today's five years ago. Down to my flashback for Sunday, July twenty six, twenty twenty six. Well, Greg, we had a wild opening ten man elimination take match to start off the show. We closed with Nick Gage against Chris Jericho in a crazy violent match for national cable television at least. But we got to talk about Darby promo and reference to Best in the World and the major massive announcement that they're coming to United Center. You don't go to United Center in Chicago if you're not super confident that you can sell some tickets. And there's a certain Chicago native who's been in the rumor, who's been the subject of rumors lately, who also was referenced by Darby right before that announcement. They basically without overtly advertising it confirmed they expect See M Punk to show up in Chicago. Is there any other way to interpret that, Greg.
Speaker 4: No, I don't think so. I think, and I think at this point if there was any other way to interpret it, AW would be setting themselves up for a massive fall on that episode. Being in Chicago, teasing, as you said, see Them Punk with reference to Best in the World by Darby Allen and that promo and then not delivering on that episode would be an epic fail for AW, one that they've not really experienced to that level. I don't think thus far in their existence. You know, they've hyped up some wrestlers a little beyond maybe what they should have before, and now they're sort of downplaying one of the biggest acquisitions they could make, perhaps the biggest acquisition they could make at this point in twenty twenty one. So it'll be interesting to see how it develops and if we get any more hints in the coming weeks leading into that episode of aw's new television show. By the way, so you know, if they wanted to really get people talking and get people to tune in to really pop that first episode's rating, what better way than to hint and then deliver that cmpunk is coming in.
Speaker 1: Is that the best way to do it, as opposed to overtly announcing it? And I'm wondering too, if they're just seeing how ticket sales going Monday with just the rumor mail and not announcing it, and if they go well enough, do they just not announce it and count on people just sort of knowing that that's or you know, safely thinking it's a safe bet and I need to be in the building for that. If they sell enough tickets, they might not need to overtly announce he's going to be there before cult a Personality plays or whatever song he comes out to. Is that a possible way this plays out? Is that why they're teasing it to see what ticket sales launch is like on Monday?
Speaker 4: You know, that certainly could be. I don't know if they would ever even if ticket sales lagged a little bit. I don't know if they would come out and say, Hey, by the way, see IM Punk's going to be there. I think maybe the references would get a little more obvious, so I think they would be planting the seed in a more obvious way. But I don't know that they would ever outright announce it ahead of time, just because there's so much more fun both for viewers watching it home and for the people in the arena if it is still somewhat of a surprise, even if you know that surprise is coming.
Speaker 1: It's It's amazing that you could debut sampunk on a new TV series on Rampage and maybe not announced it ahead of time, but have almost everybody know. I'm curious what what that viewership number will be for the debut episode immediately following SmackDown. You wonder if that w just dog it that Friday, just be like, let's let's just do a terrible shell. Let's let's let's announce terrible matches and.
Speaker 4: Baron Carbon versus King Knakamura again.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Well, I mean some would say that they maybe have. It's it's harder to it'd be difficult for them to do a better job making the announced matches seem less, less recycled and repetitive at the very least. So definitely, that's that ought to be a topic as we continue, before we pivot to introducing our and getting the live calls. What do you think of how the Nick gage AEW match against Chris Jericho worked in the ring and in front of the Charlotte fans.
Speaker 4: The fans seemed receptive. They seemed to know, if not who Nick Gage was, then what he brought to the table in terms of the violence that he was going to inflict and certainly did inflict on Chris Jericho. Jericho was a champ. He took he took the beating, he took the light tubes, he took the pizza cutters, he took just about everything from Nick Gage, and somebody the stature of Chris Jericho certainly doesn't have to do that. So he put Nick Gage over. And we don't know what the future of Nick Gage is in aew if any, but you know, this was not you know, this didn't give the impression that here's a guy we're going to bring in and Jericho's gonna beat him quickly or anything like that, and then we're going to discard him.
Speaker 5: You know that set.
Speaker 4: I don't know if there's a place for Nick Gauge full time going forward in aw You know, he was I was surprised they held off on the violence for so long. I mean it was only maybe like two or three minutes, but you know, you could see the Gauge when it came to actually wrestling and executing maneuvers and selling and things like that. Selling of the actual wrestling moves, Gauge was a bit, you know, he was a bit a step behind, I think, in terms of what you've come to expect from wrestlers on the national stage on national television when it comes to that. But I didn't think it was a huge detriment to the match. The awkwardness almost added to in some way. It almost added to the lore of Nick Gauge, I think, as much as anything else in this match. So, you know, you go into a match with Nick Gauge hoping for violence, especially one that is noticed qualification as this was, And I thought for a national television on TNT, it was pretty far on the spectrum of being violent and what's acceptable on national broadcast television these days.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm curious to see what the broader reaction is. I felt that the fans in the building, by a pretty wide margin, didn't pop for him. Either they didn't know who he was or they'd kind of heard about him, but they were going against Jericho, who they love, so they weren't quite sure how to react. I think there was some tension in the crowd or like a sense of anticipation, but not like, holy crap, we get to see him. You know, when I bought tickets, I didn't know he's going.
Speaker 6: To be here.
Speaker 1: This is great, this is gonna be wild. Like when you compare it to the crowd for the GCW show, like, this was not a Nick Gauge crowd, and I thought he kind of had to work hard throughout the match to get some response. And ultimately, if you don't know the legend of Nick Gage, and I just don't have a read on how much of a niche audience it is, it's a significant niche audience. I mean, there's hundreds of thousands of views combined, you know, out there for his match on Saturday against Matt Cardona, the former Zach Ryder. A lot of people watched and watched handheld cameras and post shows on it and all that. So I'm not denying that. But in Charlotte on this night, it didn't seem to me like the To me, I think if you didn't know who Nick Gage was, you'd think, well, this guy's you know, he's something else, but sort of maybe a poor Manzadi Kingston. If you're an AEW fan looking through that.
Speaker 4: Lens, yeah, I guess. You know, the pops maybe were more for the weapons that he brought out. I know that the light tubes got a big pop, so maybe that was more for him. But I think you're right. I think when you have Nick Gage in a match, even on TNT in twenty twenty one, you're sort of waiting around for the weapons, right You're not interested in seeing Nick Gage chain wrestle with Chris Jericho in the main event. And you know, I think it speaks to Tony conn and his confidence either in Chris Jericho or in the Gage or both to give them so much time in the main event of Dynamite. You know, there was another very big match on the show and open the show. They could have just as easily made evented with that if they didn't have the confidence in fans to recognize who Nick Gage was, or for Jericho to get a reasonable match out of Nick Gage in the main event, so they could have swapped those two matches.
Speaker 1: I don't think they could have because I do not think you can run that match well their first hour, So that's fair.
Speaker 4: I guess to me, it's just you know, if you look at the card from a Star Power standpoint, this was not the only match that could have made evented. So the fact that they did go with it and all the violence that was associated with it, I think still was a thumbs up and giving it so much time. Like I said, you know, I think they started the entrances maybe twenty minutes left in the show, So this was not something they just tried to get on there and get passed just to get it over with in the main event.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, So I'm real curious, like I said, what the reaction is among our callers and emailers. Speaking of which, let's introduce the show and give out the phone numbers. This is the Wade Keller Pro Wrestling post show for Wednesday, July twenty eighth, twenty twenty one. I'm Wade Keller, editor of the Pro Wrestling Torch weekly newsletter and the website petew Torch dot com. I've been covering professional wrestling as my job for over thirty years, and I also host farriety of VP shows and VP podcasts throughout the week, and of course this the way Keller Pro Saying post show and the Wade Keller Pro Wrestling podcast. Both are free. Both return well search Return when you enter Wade Keller on just about any podcast stapp out there, so if you haven't subscribed to both yet, search Waid Keller and subscribe to this. The Red Logo Show are live post shows that are available to download in their entirety at any time after the fact. You can also listen live at wadekellerpostshow dot com. And then the Blue Logo Show is our main podcast, which features interviews, pay per view preview roundtables, flashbacks, and primarily our weekly flagship which either drops on Tuesday Days or Thursdays this week and to be on Thursday. And Kelly Wells from the PWT Talks NXT podcast, part of the PW Torch Daily Cast lineup, We'll be joining me to talk about tonight's dynamite Tuesday Nights a XT in just the general state of NXT, the treatment of carrying cross. We'll talk some New Japan, perhaps some GCW and Nick Gage and some Impact and oh yeah, WWE's other topics, so check that out. Should drop tomorrow night on our Blue Logo Show. The other voice you hear tonight is Greg Parks, longtime Progressing Torch newsletter columnist, also the host of PW Torch Daily Cast also called Wrestling Night in America that airs live on Sunday nights. It is our pay per view post show format, so he's certainly used to this format other than he's now the guest, not the host, but we'll be taking calls and he on non pay per view nights. He talks primarily about big events and professional wrestling, often with the co host, always with callers at Greg Parks on Twitter. Greg, welcome to the coast here. Good to have you here on the post show.
Speaker 4: Yeah, happy to be here on such a newsworthy I think episode of Dynamite.
Speaker 1: Yes, how was your vacation by the way, it was wonderful. Wonderful.
Speaker 4: Yes, just getting it in under the wire as I go back to school next week. So it was my last hurrah, I guess before we get started again.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and you go to school or teach school?
Speaker 4: Well, I teach, but I go to school.
Speaker 1: No, No, I know the answer that question. I'm just I'm just saying for people listening, you know, they might it's cool that you're a school teacher. Yes, yes, well great.
Speaker 4: Grade seven I teach civics, so social studies nice.
Speaker 1: So that's important these days.
Speaker 4: It is. It's also a lot harder to thief because you got to watch what you say.
Speaker 1: Oh man, But I'm glad they're teaching that because it's important. It's so, I mean, it's so important. Anyway, let's we got tons to talk about, and we want to have you if you are listening to our live stream to join us. Our phone number here on the Post show three four seven two one five eighty five fifty eight. That's three four seven two one five eighty five fifty eight. And when you call, push one on your keypad. It's amazing the people who don't know to do that if they want to be on the show. So call three four seven two one five eight five five eight and push one if you want to be on the show. Otherwise you'll just be in the background on our switchboard and we will not bring you out of the show. But at any point you can push one uh to move into the caller queue, and you can also email us if that works better for you. Wade Keller podcast at petewtorch dot com. Wade Keller podcast at petew toorch dot com. This is not an environment where you're in trouble if you don't adore everything AW does and think everybody involved in aw's best. And this is not a show where you have to take sides pro AW. We compliment AW, but if if you've got issues with them, absolutely feel invited to call up to This is and just a fanclub show for AW. And I stress that because I think there's you know, the main event. I know we got an email from somebody's saying that absolutely hated the main event tonight. So if you know, if you want to vent a little bit, and if you listen to the show, we know people do vent about AW here in addition to raving about the things they do. Well, consider yourself in vited. This is not an exclusive club of just people who love the show. Your time is valuable. Go VIP and listen to our show's commercial free a nice streamline listening experience. Pw torch dot com slash go vip for full details on a commercial free listening experience, and with a full VIP membership, you can create custom feeds for individual shows or groups of shows by theme, and also unlock nearly four decades of archives and access our ad free website with VP exclusive content pw Torch dot com slash go VIP. Your time is valuable, and that's one of the reasons we offer VIP membership pw torch dot com slash go VIP. I'm looking at the switchboard. We might have more callers than we have ever had for a dynamite, which is interesting. So with that said, let's get to it. And with that said, please be forgiving if I interrupt you, if you start to do a long monologue. It's not you, it's just a courtesy to the people on hold late at night here and make just try to make your point quick, and we might not go back to you, you know, two three times like sometimes we do when we don't have so many callers. But we want to get as many opinions that as we can, but lead with your best stuff. So yeah, let's let's use that as our launching point to go to our first call. Our first call is a VIP or a VIP or not Inn the poblety Torch VIP member since but a former person TORDS columnist. Sometimes he sits in the co host chair, Eric Kroll, who is in Chicago, and I assume we'll be at the Rampage event to see the first dance featuring presumably seeing a punk Eric Glad that you called. Great to have you on as our first caller. What's your take on the show tonight? It's probably probably doesn't have a lot to do with the women's match, I'll guess.
Speaker 5: Thanks Wade, Hi Greg, You guys are fat.
Speaker 6: I just I had it was so much to process tonight. The thing I want to talk about is the booking of Adam Page.
Speaker 7: He didn't win.
Speaker 6: Uh So the main what we all kind of assumed maybe was the main event for all out Paige in Omega is as of now not happening, and I'm not sure how they get back there because if that is double plan, I mean, they have potentially two high profile signings coming in, so they could just go straight to see him punk Kenny Omega on a three week build it all out, But I was really looking forward to Paige in Omega, and the entire rest of the show was just I was upset. I mean, I've been this emotionally invested in pro wrestling since Omega and Okada, the match where Omega on the belt years ago in Japan, so I guess I'm looking at the psychology of it. If if it were a heel situation, he could just attack the baby face, and the babyface champion says, I know he lost the MA stipulation match, but gosh darned and I'm pessed off. I want him in the ring right away. I want him in the ring. It all out in the title match. He's getting his title match because I want to beat the hell out of him. The Page is the face. So the psychology to do something like that, an angle like that doesn't work. I mean, all this may be irrelevant now if it's if it's just gonna be the CM punk show, But.
Speaker 5: What what was your guy?
Speaker 6: How could they get back to Paige Omega if that were the case?
Speaker 8: Or am I just being naive?
Speaker 6: And there's probably no way that that's now cast off and to the side, and we're gonna have to wait a year or two for the conclusion to that the Elite versus Page story.
Speaker 1: So my take in EXCaliber noted that you know, hang on page lost earlier tonight, he moves out of the number one connector spot. In that same uh paragraph, he said, you know that Christians right number three kind of dropping the hint of a possibility if Christians to win here, that could move him up and maybe he's going to be the number one contender. I did not take Page losing unless I'm What was the was the stipulation that if he lost, he doesn't get a title shot air Yeah, overtly.
Speaker 6: The whatever Dark Order tag team doesn't get the.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah yeah. So I mean the thing and the reason I say that is EXCaliber said it moves him out of the number one contender position, but he didn't say explicitly it eliminated him from getting a title match, and so I to me, like it just I don't think the average viewer watching the show, unless I missed some emphasis, would necessarily see that result as like conclusive. Yet if it was a way bigger deal should have been made of it, you know, because I'm sitting here thinking, well, it's a step back, but it doesn't eliminate So, Greg, what was your take on how they presented that and did you did you have kind of the same reaction as Eric.
Speaker 4: Did a little bit.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I I the Eric kind of went out of my balloon when Adam Paige lost there. I was figuring that they would use it as continuing his momentum towards all out to eventually face Kenny Omega for the title. Now, the presence of cmpunk, the potential presence of Daniel Bryan Brian Danielson in AW in the next several weeks or months could complicate that. But I think the crowd reaction to Adam Page tonight, and since crowds have returned and mass has should have solidified in the minds of AW decision makers that they are on the right track in getting Adam Paige ready to face Kenny Omega at the next pay per view. I think that's the right way to go. I think, you know, this has been a long journey for Adam Paige, and I don't know if you want to tease the Omega stuff again only to pull it back and make that journey even longer, because I think you risk more so than any other point during this run. You risk fans trying to get off the ride a little bit, you know, and and thinking that this was going to be that moment for Adam Paige, and now it's like, oh no, we have to wait aget because Christian is going to get his journey. And I don't think there's anybody really clamoring for Christian to get a shot over Adam Paige, even if it's the story that aew is telling. So you know, this is I see it as a little bit of a bump in the road, you know, as you said, Wade, they they certainly did not hammer this throughout the show. You know, this was in the first the first match, and if it had such big repercussions, as you know we're thinking here that a whole that would have been something that they would have revisited throughout the show. So the fact that they didn't tells me it just may be a bump in the road for Adam Page. That another thing that he has to overcome in order to get to Kenny Omega at all.
Speaker 1: Out two other quick notes, and i'll throw back to York. The crowd was going nuts for Hangmen, and we got an on site note from from Kevin who said, the crowd here is hot for everything tonight. People have been chanting for Hangman since the Dark Elevation taping earlier. So he's got other notes from there, but he said, this is the best life show I've ever been to. In addition to some other things, we'll get to later. But if the crowd is that hot for Hangman and you're like Ceampunker Daniel Bryant, and Tony's like, well if I signed, if I pay this much money to get him in, I want to strike while it's hot. I want to set a pay per view by rate record. I love Hangman Page. He's my guy, and he's going to be my guy. But he's young, and I don't want to have you know, Punk or Brian, you know, kind of hover doing matches and in storylines at angles like Christian Cage that could cool him off. I don't want to take a detour like Miro did into some self indulgent sidebar thing. Obviously Punk and Brian are bigger deals in Christian or Miro. But nevertheless, he might be thinking, let's just strike while we can't. Well, they aren't hot, Let's just do this in a big way right away. I find Punk or Brian though I would, especially Punk. I guess maybe you don't worry about Chicago, but you know, as a crowd gonna be a little sour if you take something away from their guy does see him Punk become the batista to Daniel Bryan in this situation, where it Backfarres. I doubt it, but but I throw that out there. So Eric, any any thoughts or follow up on any of that.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I mean so the stipulation, I guess.
Speaker 5: I guess language matters.
Speaker 6: The stipulation was that if page in the dark order, one page would get earn a shot at Omega's world title. In duk dark order would get the tag team title shot. So I guess, yeah, it wasn't a given that was getting a title shot. From your point where I think, I'll be hugely disappointed and and I feel I feel like they didn't. They didn't pay a storyline the way they normally do.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 6: One of the things that's satisfying about AEW's booking is it tends to progress if even if it's progressing in ways you can see, you often get that satisfying ending. And the page coronation would be the logical conclusion of this given how much he's over. As Greg noted, I'll quickly say the main event was not for me. It was just kind of gross and repulsive. I was prepared for the I thought I was prepared for the pizza cutter.
Speaker 5: Spot, but clearly I wasn't.
Speaker 6: I just had a certain way.
Speaker 7: It's just not my thing. And then.
Speaker 6: I am wondering if on August twentieth at Rampage at the United Center, which is they're looking to sell eighteen to twenty thousand tickets to that, assuming with COVID cases on the rise, there's not a rollback and they have to sell fewer at the very least, I imagine there'll be a mass an end date in place by the time August twenty throws around in Chicago. But I think he popped for cmpunk coming out to his music in Chicago. We have the loudest pop I've ever heard, eclipsing Cody versus Nick all this at all In and Hogan climbing out of the cage versus Paul Orndorf at the Rosemont Horizon back in I think eighty six. And then and then my final thing. Jim Ross watched tonight.
Speaker 9: God is he awful.
Speaker 6: He called Julia Hart green, which was true, but I'm not sure she needs to be buried by the announced team on national TV like that. She didn't have to be put on National TV. They put her on Dynamite.
Speaker 7: Right, and that match was pretty rough.
Speaker 6: And then he also said during the opening match that page had pinned Omega and Kallous, you know, quickly got in his grill and his heel fashion to cover for that air. But you know how many more weeks of Tony Kam'm gonna let Jim Ross pull focus from the action with his mistakes in his crankiness before he talks to him or you know, reduces his role to an interviewer.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's funny too, because other than those moments, I thought Ross and I thought recently he's been more energized.
Speaker 5: Now.
Speaker 1: I think that just coincides with going back in front of live crowds and not being in the hot, outdoor Jacksonville arena that I think made him grumpy, and I think he'd lost some energy, and there was sort of a casual repetitive repetitiveness and also maybe a sense at times the show doesn't matter that much in the bigger course of things. I think he comes across as more energized, and I think when he's not doing his worst work, he's doing his best work in aw if that makes sense. I think there's a to me. I think as a counterpoint to what you pointed out, which is factually correct and not good. I mean the green thing. You know that, I don't know that every person sees that as like a derisive term as much as just a factual statement. He always agreen she's a rookie, not that she's bad. So I don't know. Maybe I'm wrong on that, and may people see green as more of an insult than I do, and it matches more with you, But in general, I think Jim has been better the last few weeks and showing the value he has when he's doing good work. Greg, I'll throw to you and then you Eric. You can also reply to dr of Us or bothos.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I sort of agree with your interpretation of the term green. I think in professional wrestling it's been used derogatorily so much that I think that's just how we see it now. You know, we see these big, you know, muscle bound wrestlers over the years who've been described as green, and we automatically attach something negative to it when it's not necessarily inherently a negative term. I thought he was at his best tonight in the main event, probably just because I think he was genuinely disgusted by some of that stuff was going on. So, you know, I'll give them points for that, But yeah, there are some weeks where it's just it's it's really rough to listen to him, and you kind of wonder, you know, he can be valuable to AW with with the number of years he's been around professional wrestling and the number of jobs that he's had, you know, is there a better place for him in AW in terms of some sort of management or behind the scenes role that may not be announcing each and every week. Maybe it's just announcing main events of Dynamite, maybe it's just announcing pay per views. Maybe it's you know, scaling back some of his announced duties so he's only on for the most important stuff where he really seems to shine as opposed to some of the other matches where uh, you know, he's I don't know if if he comes across as disinterested sometimes or grumpy or whatever the case may be. That's not really a descriptor you use for any other announcers in the business. And I think if Jr. Had not had the track record that he's had, that, you know, he would have a lot shorter leash for for some of this. But he is a legend and I think that Tony Kahn more than anyone else that we've seen lately in the wrestling business does want to treat the legends respectfully and I and I don't know if he's even entertained the idea of taking Jim Ross off commentary.
Speaker 1: Eric anything else from you in response to that or another topic, No that I think.
Speaker 6: I just want to say, I think the August in September might be among the most exciting periods and wrestling possibly since Hollanish jumped.
Speaker 7: I mean, I had a donut.
Speaker 6: Hole in my Repling fandom of about fourteen thirteen, fourteen years you know, wait, but ate the family.
Speaker 5: But it's super exciting.
Speaker 6: So it's just gonna be you know, pins and needles for the next two months, I think.
Speaker 1: And what percentage of that is not AW for you?
Speaker 6: Oh, it's all okay, I mean aw, it's a little bit of it's almost all the AW. But it's a little bit of New Japan. And how does that all work? And the open door stuff? How does that shake out? And I that's you know, I would love it if the main roster WWE was watchaful week to week, right, we all benefit from that if we've got you know, but what w W do you eas?
Speaker 5: Response?
Speaker 1: I just asked because I thought maybe you're sup excited about Goldberg or Scena or something, so I was just making sure, you know, and you said yeah, But but I I would have put money on you.
Speaker 6: I'd be super excited if WWE strapped a rocket to some really good wrestler who could do pro who's kind of a total package and UH and made them their new star, right so they didn't have to bring in Sena and UH and Goldberg. That would be great and maybe maybe that maybe this, you know, the excitement the next two months and a w big TV ratings and and or big paper view buy rates will sperm and sick Man to finally do that, finally clean up the mess in his very financially successful house.
Speaker 1: Yep, awesome, Eric, thanks for calling and kicking off the show.
Speaker 4: Thanks yep you Greg, thank you.
Speaker 10: Are you a fan of AW looking to sit back, relax and listen to some like minded podcasters who share your passion. Do you want to be topped off the ledge after a segment that has you wondering what the heck are they thinking? Do you want to join a discussion on what AW is doing right and what they could do to improve?
Speaker 7: Then join me, Joel and me Greg for.
Speaker 10: The All of the Conversation Club every Friday on the PW torch Live Cast. Fee search pw Torch in your podcast app and subscribe to PW torch Daily Cast or stream our shows directly from pw torch dot com. Find full details on the PW Torchdailycast lineup at pw torchdailycast dot com.
Speaker 1: All right, let's jump to our first on site correspond Who is either in the building still or left after Dynamite. I believe we got Eric Another Eric calling us who was in at tennis tonight. Eric, is this you?
Speaker 8: Yeah, Hey Wade, this is me. Hey, I'm already home. So I'm afraid I missed what was happening with aw Dark.
Speaker 1: But yeah, cool. Cool that one hundredth episode. You can watch it on YouTube on Tuesday. Cool. So, first of all, health or not, I said you can. I'm not assigning you such a duty.
Speaker 11: Eric.
Speaker 1: First of all, thanks for coming, good, Thanks for calling in, Greg, and I will bombard you with some questions. We won't take too long, in part because we just have so many people on hold. I want to chime in on tonight's show, but we'll definitely get your take on this. Yeah, how full was the arena tonight?
Speaker 8: So it was about ninety full I think, compared to the last show that we had in the Bojangles Coliseum, which was in October or early November of twenty nineteen, which I think was about sixty percent full. This was a considerably larger crowd than we had last time in Charlotte. So I don't know what that is due to. If it was, I know, excuse me, Matt Hardy was doing sort of some local press in the last.
Speaker 12: About week and a half.
Speaker 8: But they definitely sold more tickets in Charlotte this week than they did in twenty nineteen, and that.
Speaker 1: Is to me more relevant than even how big the crowd is, although that's certainly an important metric. Is are they throwing more or less yeah than last time? So that's really important to know. I'm dying to know what was Where were you sitting roughly, and what was your take on the reaction to Nick Gage? Did people absolutely know who he was and go as crazy for him? Or it was more of an oddity of curiosity, let's see what this guy's all about? Kind of describe it in your words.
Speaker 8: Yeah, so we were in the upper deck on the hard opposite from the hard camera side, not on the not probably in the area that the camera captured. But we were up, i don't know, about three quarters of the way up on the side there, and there were certainly the rows behind us were also full, although I had a few sits next to me that were empty, so it wasn't one hundred percent filled in where we were. People seem to know who Nick Cage was. There were several M d K signs in the crowd, and it seems like those those that didn't were sort of willing to go along with those that did know who Nick Gage was to sort of think that he was somebody important. I think, I mean, for what it's worse, I think more people knew who Nick Gage was than knew who Kanahashi was when he came on the on the video screen to challenge the winner of the iw G P US Championship.
Speaker 1: Yep, I'm not surprised by that. I mean, just given you know, I mean obvious ACNA she's better on forever and as a legend, but just given the recent buzz and some YouTube numbers and you know, just a conversation these days, you know, nick Age is a flavor of flavor of the the month or the era, however you want to however narrow or broad you want to make it. You know, the documentary certainly introducing him to a lot of people too.
Speaker 8: Absolutely.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Greg, I jump on in with a question or two for Unsye correspondent Eric.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I want to go back to the first match of the show. Just a hot crowd for that that tag match. What was the reaction to Adam Page losing. Did you sense some steam getting let out of the crowd at that point or were they pretty consistently hot throughout?
Speaker 8: Yeah, I think it. I think it did. Loop. It did really some theme from the crowd. We were all really excited for that match.
Speaker 5: I think.
Speaker 8: We got there during the Dark Elevation taping before the show, and Tony Khan came out a little bit during that I guess before the Elevation Dark main event and said that we would be starting with the ten man as the as the main event, So people are not very excited for that. I do think the crowds energy dropped after that first match, you know, I sort of I turned to my buddy that I saw the show with after after the str quite and powerful match, and I was like, oh, I should probably rewatch that match because I wasn't paying quite as much attention, so I thought it might be I don't know, if it was sort of a case of the opening match was such a big deal that we were all invested in it and sort of at the end of it, you know, we're sort of spent in terms of the energy that we had, or if the bookie of the end of the match was sort of what led to that. But there was sort of a moment after that where it's we're like, oh, man, like, what do we do now? And the energy was not up in the room quite as high as it had been after that first match, although we did come back a little bit when when during the main.
Speaker 1: Event, Okay, yeah, gohig, Greg another question otherwise I can yeah, I was, you.
Speaker 4: Know, you mentioned the tana Hashi thing, and and that was another big piece of news that we haven't even gotten to yet. Tonight as he faces he'll face Lance Archer, the winner of the Archer Versus Hiccolo match tonight on on Dynamite. The reaction for tana Hashi, you know, when you see stuff on the video board watching at home that's being shown on the video board and the arena. Sometimes it's hard to gauge the crowd reaction to tana Hashi. But what was your kind of your impression to the reaction to Tanahashi.
Speaker 8: Yeah, so I would say like about thirty percent of the audience was.
Speaker 6: Hyped for that.
Speaker 8: They saw us kind of Hashi come up on the screen and it was like, oh, this is this is a major thing, right, Like, there's certainly that segment of the aw audience that knows New Japan, knows who the major players are and sees this as.
Speaker 12: A big thing.
Speaker 8: And then the rest of the audience, you know, I would say like maybe for fifty percent had no idea who Tanahashi might have been. Another twenty percent of the audience might have been like, oh, I've heard of this guy. And then there was a thirty percent of the audience that was enthusiastic and on their feet of whom was tana Hashi was on the screen. So, you know, I know sometimes on these podcasts, we we'll talk about there being the sort of like like a vanguard or a taste maker kind of an audience that that that knows these international connections in the wrestling world who might lead the rest of the audience to get hyped about saying so like that that that matches with my experience, Right. It's certainly not everybody who was there in this arena and knew who tan Hashi was, But there was a vocal, enthusiastic, sizeable minority who did know who kind of made noise for it, and then that might have gotten other people to sort of say, like, oh, yeah, this is somebody that we should pay attention to. This is not uh, you know, just sort of some random international star that's coming in. This is like somebody major, some major player. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I like the term vanguard. I say bell Weather fan. I've said influencer, but vanguard sounds way more cool. I would rather be a Vanguard fan than a yeah influencer or a bell Weather So.
Speaker 8: Yeah, no, like influencers are up on TikTok ban cards, are the revolutionarys that are showing the way for how things.
Speaker 1: Ought to be exactly. I may borrow that going forward. I'll see if we'll see if I remember tomorrow, so there's a good chance I'll keep using it.
Speaker 8: So you absolutely have my permission to use that language.
Speaker 1: Thank you, Eric, So, yeah, I felt that the great covered. I thought the steam kind of seemed to come out of the building for FTR into ten on Orts. It was a tough spot to be in, even with a buffer with with U, which.
Speaker 8: Is a shame because it's a shame because FTR are you know, relatively local boys, right they're they're they're from Ashville, North Carolina, which is, you know, like an hour and a half two hour drive from where we were today when we saw them here, oh four or five years ago as part of the n XT show, Like they were clearly our hometown boys that we were cheering for, even though they were heels, and so it was a bit of the reaction to Night was a little bit muted, I thought in relation to that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm curious about the placement of the match, because you could have put Lance Archer in that spot. You could have shaken things up and not had the women in the you know, the match before the main event at the bottom of the second hour spot. Even the six man tag with Private Party and Company that the Matt Hardy and Company, that could have worked. So, yeah, that was interesting. It's next level coverage that you come to expect from the PW Torch brand. No AI, no rookie perspectives, no unfounded rumors, no clickbait, no deceptive headlines, just high quality writing, breaking news, and fascinating flashbacks every day at PW torch dot com. Pull yourself away from the vacuous social media experience that I know many of you regret once you get lost in it for minutes, if not hours at a time, and settle in for high quality PW Torch branded wrestling coverage. So was there anything that surprised you tonight in terms of crowd response, either more or less in a significant way than you would have forecast going in.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 8: So the main event for Dark Elevation spoiler folks to fast forward if you don't want to hear this spoiled was Darby Allen was in that match, and Darby Allen got absolutely one of the biggest props of the night he was. It was maybe not quite as big as what Hangman and the Dark Order got for that match, but it was certainly a major major pop that he got. Sting was there also for that match, so some of it was Staying and some of it was Darby Allen, But it surprised me how into that act the crowd was.
Speaker 1: Was there anything less Like, do you think there's a wrestler who would be disappointed in how the crowd reacted to them tonight?
Speaker 8: Let me think about that for a second. I mean I got a probably SPR right. I thought that spr would have gotten more of a reaction.
Speaker 13: Just because of their history.
Speaker 8: In the region and and sort of being you know, if you're from here, you kind of know that those guys are mostly local boys, right, They've they've worked the indies around here before they went to d XP and everything. So their reaction was a little bit muted, but again a tough spot because they were coming after that ten man match. But I think all of us who were going into the show was kind of assumed would be the main event match.
Speaker 1: In the main event with Jericho engaged, was there a sense that it was going too far for a lot of people, Like when the pizza cutter came out and got utilized, there was a response from some people on the floor opposite our camera that just it was like cringed and like I want to look, but I don't want to. Did this seem like a bloodthirsty crowd that loved that style or did it seem like maybe aw is going a little too far, at least based on the Charlotte crowd rerection.
Speaker 8: So honestly, it was a little bit hard to tell from where I was sitting. I was in road w of my section, so pretty far back, so it at least from where I was sitting, given the amount of beers that I'd had up to that point, the kind of visceral nature of the Pizza cutter spots might have felt a little bit muted to me personally. People seem to certainly be into the moments when he brought out the light tubes and more I mean for me personally, more so than than than the pizza cutter. The light tubes are kind of the cringe inducing moment. I haven't seen the David Arquette documentary, right, Like, like knowing that it was not the pizza cutter, but but the light tube that went into our cat's jugular, that's the kind of neck gage moment that I'm like, we really want to be seeing this, right. I was kind of happy that I wasn't in the front road to be inhaling.
Speaker 13: That kind of.
Speaker 8: Glass dust that gets that that happened when when you break those, so you know, take it with a grand assault and maybe the other the other on site correspondent will happen to say about the if he or she was closer to the ring from way in the back where we were sitting, it was Yeah, it didn't seem like too far, but you know, I don't know, maybe we're we're inared to that.
Speaker 1: But the crowd was a crowd just going completely crazy like this is a great I can't believe I'm here for this Or was it like something less than that?
Speaker 13: Oh?
Speaker 8: No, I think we were excited about it. Like so my my buddy and I turned to each other like like, how did we accidentally go to a death match? Right? Like, that's neither of our particular styles of of of of what we like in uh in pro wrestling. It's really not what we saw from a e W about a year and a half ago. A little bit more than that, I guess, Yeah, it's not what we seek out, but it was still kind of like an interesting spectacle.
Speaker 13: To be at.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's or anything else you want to share, Eric, before we move on other callers here.
Speaker 8: The line for the merch was way longer on the way and than I thought it would be. There was a long, long line for the merch and there was absolutely more merchandise in the stands this time than there was last time that they were in Charlotte. Like I said, bigger crowd, more merch. It seems that I mean kind of kind of and trivily and way. You would know this better than I, since you keep track of things like the TV ratings. But whatever the TV ratings were like in October November, I remember exactly what it was that they were here less than Charlotte. The live crowd was absolutely bigger, and I think they were spending more money on it, so you know whatever that might mean for aw's business, Like, they have more momentum than.
Speaker 7: I was expected in the half.
Speaker 8: I was expected to go into a building that was about the same level, you know, about sixty percent full, which which is what I think it was last time. Yeah, or maybe a little bit less than that given concerns over COVID, But it was more than that. So yeah, there there there is some momentum going on here. So you know, to to your thesis and Todds and other people who have said this right that it wouldn't be surprising if AW is sort of will be overtaking the ww's business in the next few months or in the course of the next year. Like there is some evidence here that that there's this kind of grassroots grounds well, and how that turns into other kinds of business metrics, it's an open question, I suppose. But yeah, just in terms of being their life tonight, that there was more people, they were more excited. I think they were spending more money on the merchandise, and so that's that. That all augurs well for aw's next year.
Speaker 1: I think, Eric, what what'd you pay for your upper deact ticket, Because part of having merchandise money is you don't get gouged for the actual things.
Speaker 8: Yeah, it was seventy two bucks and we weren't we weren't in the upper upper deck. We were sort of three quarters of the way up. About seventy dollars after fees is what we ended up paying for our tickets. I didn't buy any merch this time, but I've bought some stuff from them in the past via TWTs or yeah whatever is Yeah, all right, cool, Well, Eric, I think last last time tickets were about the same price.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, yep, awesome, Erica, thank you so much. We'd ask you more, but want to get to our our long line of callers here. We want to talk about tonight sholl So thank you so much. Appreciate you, yeah being our first of perhaps more than one Onzie correspondence to night Yeah.
Speaker 8: Sure thing and y'all know to go VIP, stay, VIP, do VIP whatever needs to happen to get keep way of doing what he's doing. So thanks for having.
Speaker 1: Out Eric Kidwerk, appreciate it. Thank you. He's talking about VP membership. You can go VIP here this show with the ads and plugs are removed. Get all our VP content that is new throughout the week. Podcast newsletters, Greg Parks exclusive weekly column and plus thirty plus years of archives, the biggest library of insider information and contemporaneous week to week coverage of Progressing's biggest stories, biggest events, and biggest personalities dating back to the late nineteen eighties, with hundreds of bret To radio shows from the nineties and thousands of hours of podcasts dating back to two thousand and three, including post pay per view round tables. On any pay per view you want to hear our reaction to from b and other groups again dating back to two thousand and three. So the way to go VIP or at least learn more about signing up in the different pricing options is pw torch dot com slash go VIP. It's a cool page. It's fun to scroll through on like the different different features and in different podcasts exclusives for VIP members. So again, pw torch dot com slash go VIP. So many people if you hear the show, tell you to go VIP. So it's not just me plugging it, it's also our members endorsing it.
Speaker 14: Hey everyone, longtime PW torchcommist Sean radikin here to let you know I've rebamped and renewed the Raticant Worldwide podcast for twenty twenty six, a weekly VIP exclusive. Every week, I break down four or five of the biggest trending topics in pro wrestling. I also present my analysis, providing insight that helps you understand the story better or see it another way. Then maybe is the controversial takeout there? Then I bring on a special guest for the second half of the podcast. Sometimes it's a wrestler or someone else who works in the business. Other times it's a guest analyst who brings their specialized point of view out a particular key topic in the news. Recent guests have included Bronson Reid from WWE and PCO. One of my areas of specialty is the Japan wrestling scene, so I have to cover a big topic from Japan with PW Torch's own Alan Farrell, Kelly Wells, and Chris Lansdell. I don't just cover the news. I don't just riff on the news or give a standard hot take. I'll bring my decades of studying this industry and talking one on one with dozens of wrestling promoters to each week's show so you understand not just what's happening, but the context of why get ahead of the news, Get ahead of the pack with Radking Worldwide only at PW Torch VIP.
Speaker 1: All right up, next we'll go to nine to one two nine one two, Thanks worlding go it. State your name and where you're calling from.
Speaker 7: Uh, yeah, this is David from Brunswick, Georgia, probably an hour north of Jacksonville there.
Speaker 1: Awesome, thanks for calling. Uh David, what do you think of Dona White tonight?
Speaker 10: Uh?
Speaker 7: I was only I've caught bits and pieces of it.
Speaker 15: I work night shift, so I'm typically listening to it, but I caught the the gauge.
Speaker 7: Jericho back, yeah, and I.
Speaker 15: Guess the the uh My biggest question is it seems like you know this for labor number two, I should admit for you know, labor number five. You know, I feel like it kind of went to such an extreme that you're not gonna.
Speaker 7: Be able to top it.
Speaker 15: And I just kind of wanted to get you guys opinion on what you think about it, you know, uh, you know, being number two, you know out of out of five.
Speaker 1: There, Yeah, Hove and Tude. I wouldn't say we're bearing the lead by not bringing it up by now because it maybe maybe it's number seven, eight nine or ten on Tonight's show with so many things going on, but a cool name for the Monight Night War era, a time that, uh that Tony Khan is fond of and they like to do callbacks. And I thought it was good use of that, uh Hoove in Tude reference with Jericho and MGF and the conceptions story for MJF. If not for Hoove and two, there'd be no MGF. Greg. Your your take on what David brings up in terms of the sequence of this, does it necessarily have to get worse each time or does it just have to be like really different each time to avoid not seeming like it's in the wrong order, if that makes sense.
Speaker 4: It does seem like they're going more for different than difficult, because yeah, if you're looking at it that way, tonight's match, it's hard to imagine a fifth labor being more violent than this match. So this would have, I think, easily fit for number five. I don't know, maybe they have a plan for who number five is and it's a big name or some major stipulation or something like that. Maybe there was a fear that introducing Nick Gage to the audience is the fifth labor. You know, some people would have not believed, even though it would be a violent match, that Jericho wouldn't be able to get passed to this guy who's never been on national television before. So maybe that's the thinking. But it really does make you wonder what do they have planned for number five because the first three are all very different in terms of not only match styles but opponents, with who would two Guerrera coming up next week? So it does I think add a lot of intrigue to not only who number five will be, but also what number five will entail.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm less strong, feeling like it has to get incremental, like decisively incrementally worse as much as it's just five difficult hurdles I have, especially for the first four. Yeah, I think the fifth one I ought to feels special, like I don't think Whoventude could pass as a fifth one if Nick Gage is number two, you know, like, but huve Intude being number three out of the first four before the grand finale, I think it's fine. I mean, I think ultimately it kind of will all kind of be a blur and blend in once we get there. David, any follow upon that or any other.
Speaker 7: Topics, No, I just I just want to say I appreciate all the content.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 7: I listened to you with Gray quite a bit. I go the Hozzi what I can, and definitely everybody else go the yatt.
Speaker 1: I appreciate it. David. I'll call again when you get a chance. All right, thank you, you bet all right? We'll go next to Ken in Milwaukee. Ken, good year for me again. What do you think of downa By tonight?
Speaker 5: I enjoyed it.
Speaker 3: I was going to Greg Ivan called with Greg on the line.
Speaker 4: Ever, well, I'm glad to be here. Always loved talking Dynamite and good talking to you.
Speaker 6: All right.
Speaker 3: Well, I enjoyed the show tonight. I applaud aw it seems like a wrestling show, which I mean good or bad segments. It keeps me interested in looking for more. I mean, I guess a really good part of tonight, especially at the beginning, was I'm definitely invested in I'm definitely invested in a hangman like really like an investment, like how I felt maybe with Punk and Brian years ago, whereas I feel like it was very deflating when he lost. I was still holding out hope, but at the same time a little relieved because I think with Punk and Brian on the horizon, it would have bigfoot. It would bigfoot him at the next pay per view if he won, and then he's overshadowed by Brian and Punk. So I guess that leads me into this point. With Brian and Punk coming, I feel like there's some difficult booking scenarios on the horizon for a w I don't know how you integrate two of two names of that caliber, especially when I think in the past few months they've introduced I don't know how many other new names that ideally, I think you want to get your money out money's worth out of and they should be going over right, like Malachi Black Andrade and even Christian Cage. At this point it feels like that was supposed to be a big sign and at this point he no one wants him even in the upper mid car to let alone main event Pitcher. So how do you guys do you think? How is it possible? Especially if Punk comes in against Darby. Darby's a big babyface. Unless Punk's coming in to endorse Darby, I only see it kind of hurting Darby even being.
Speaker 12: In that situation.
Speaker 3: With Punk's first appearance, I think the crowd is going to be just so heavy on Punk's side. So how and is it even possible for them to integrate Brian and Punk without bigfooting some homegrown talent or even this recently acquired bunch.
Speaker 1: The only date that I heard on Brian was I think mid September, So if Punk comes in in August, he kind of gets the feel to himself. I have not heard what punk schedule is going to be. You know, if it's a short term program and he becomes the guy that he was critical of, you know ten years ago, who pops in for a big payday as a legacy star, or if he's just going to be in every week part of the grind, you know, moving in and out out of a top you know, one or two spot. I don't know, so that remains to be seen. But if Punk comes in, does a program with somebody significant and then disappears until around the next pay per view and then comes in, like, there's a way to weave him in but not have him get in the way of Daniel Bryan having his moment. And you don't want to be WCW when they had Chris Jericho, for example, but were preoccupied with stars of the past and didn't know what they had in Jericho. Or going back further, Steve Austin when Eric Bischoff didn't see a lot in him and didn't think anybody at the time did, even though I was writing about it, even though Paul Hayman on my radio show, granted he was managing Steve at the time, but framed Steve as a as a future top top centerpiece act who would be the number one star in this business, and he did that well. He was stunning Steve long before he was stone cold. You don't want to be that, you know, you don't want to make that mistake of your Tony Kahan. Get in enamored with a shiny toy that's been a national TV star and has a high Q rating with the casual fans, and ignore the homegrown story that's being told with Hangman Page and in Charlotte, North Carolina tonight was he was the guy that everybody was most crazy for. So it's a good problem to have. You don't want to turn down signing Punk and Brian. But I think what you're saying and Greg out get your comments, is Tony's got his work cut out for him to manage. It's like having a basketball team with you know, four all stars who all want minutes two at the same position, Like you have got to figure something out. And that's the challenge right now for Tony. But again, it's a good challenge. I'm sure he welcomes it well.
Speaker 4: First, I would caution and say that I don't think Darby Allen is saying best in the world in his promo definitively means he's going to be feuding with CM punk or will be confronted by CM punk whenever Punk debuts. I think there were a few oblique references to or opaque references, I should say too Punk tonight one of them. I think, even an MJF promo at the end where he used a line from Cmpunk's pipe bomb promo. So I think that which one was that?
Speaker 1: By the way, what was the line?
Speaker 4: Oh, I'd have to go back. I saw it on Twitter. I hope go back and get it. But I think it was something about Jericho sitting there in the most pain he's ever been in his life. But you know, I think AW has done a nice job throughout its run of sort of making putting guys on islands and having each feud feel separate and different from everything else going on within the show. And they've also done a really nice job of rotating feuds throughout shows. Some of those feuds get the top of the second hour, some of them get main events, but they don't always get the main events spot. You know, we've seen Chris Jericho wrestling as many opening matches as we have in main events, and I think probably the same goes for the young Bucks. It's not like ww BE where every main event of Raw has some combination of Lashley or dramagatire for the last six months, you know. So because of that, I think it does feel like more people are on a more level playing field in the hierarchy of AW. And I think because of that, it's easier to slip in a CM Punk or a Brian Daniel when you don't have to say to yourself, if you're Tony Kahan, Okay, how do I fit Cmpunk's feud and Cody Rose's feud and Kenny Omegas feud in the main event of Dynamite every week? Well, you don't have to. You know, you can still make them feel special by putting them throughout the show. And now AW has a second show that they're going to be able to utilize a lot of these talent on will It remains to be seen if AW will treat it as just as big of a deal as Dynamite, or if fans will see it as just as big of a deal as Dynamite. But they do have rampage where they can siphon off some of those extra talent and some of the feuds that maybe don't get enough fair time each week on Dynamite and let them breathe a little bit on Rampage.
Speaker 1: Did you know that you can enjoy commercial free versions of all of your favorite weight color podcasts and pw torch daily casts on Spotify. Just go to patreon dot com search pw Torch and subscribe to a VIP membership tier. You get a seven day free trial by the way to kick the tires a bit and see if you like the service, and then sync it with Spotify and you can listen to commercial free versions of our free shows like the Waykeller post shows, the Weightkeller Podcast, Flagship, our flashbacks, and also the pw torch daily cast lineup again all commercial free and nice streamline listening experience. But with third tier membership you can also unlock all the VIP podcasts, including Everything with Rich and Wade, to Fix with Todd Martin that I host with Todd every week, the Wadkeller news bulletins, post pay per view roundtables, and an array of other VIP exclusive podcasts with different hosts and different themes. Check out the lineup. Go to Patreon and search pw Torch and subscribe and sink up with Spotify or stay within the Patreon ecosystem. Either way works. Go to Patreon and start your seven day free trial. All right, anything you want to add ken to that or a different topic.
Speaker 3: One more question and I'll let you guys go back to the world title picture. With Hangman, I feel like he has to at some point when he can't have the match and lose, and he has to beat Kenny Omega because the story has been going on at least with the tag team thing and the Elite since Dynamite began, and the crowd is so behind them. I'm afraid, and maybe I'm looking at it through a lens of being pessimistic after you know, watching WWE or something, that he would have this match lose and it would be you know, something about getting heat for the for a Brian fuse or something like that. I feel like he will be hurt that will follow him if he doesn't win this match. So I guess the last question is, do you guys think that.
Speaker 5: It's a must win for Hangman.
Speaker 3: He must win and he must be Kenny Omega.
Speaker 1: Well, I've talked about that, and I think if you're Tony Kahan, yes, the concern you bring up Ken is is I don't know if vital is the word, but certainly relevant, but also if Kenny seems to be clicking. And I mean I was as critical of Kenny and the Bucks as you know, probably any one of a semi prominence in the podcasting wrestling jurnalism realm, based on what just felt like they were just kind of floating around, living off the reputation and people finding over them and not really finding a groove. And I've like flipped on the Bucks for sure in terms of their hail persona and every week their ring entrance has become a show onun to itself. They're they're putting tons of thought into their ring gear, which was not the case for the first you know, year plus year and a half. Kenny Omega just seems to be having a blast. I think he's booed by the live crowd in a big way and and that's that's fine, you know, that's understandable. He also is battling injuries and he seems to be in just better shape now just you know, the contours of his physique look more like main event Kenny than you know, you know, fat contract happy Kenny chilling out and being weird. So I'm like, I I think you might want to stick with Kenny with the title if you think you can. You know, we've a good storyline of page, you know, fighting from underneath. You don't want to play that story out too long. But but I don't know that you had that that you just for the sake of hang man, especially with a lineup of opponents. You know, when you look at the heel and face lineup, does Danny Brian come in as a heel? You know, does he want to? Brian is kind of Jericho esque in the sense of, you know, he might want to reinvent himself and he wants to keep things interesting for himself. And I would would not rule out that he comes in his heel and Punk. Probably not right away, but he might think kay, and maybe right away. I mean he had there was some derisive back and forth with him and Cody and the Bucks, and you know, when Punk was a bigger deal than the Bucks and Cody, he was like, they pretend we're better friends than we are. They're trying to use my name to make it seem like I might committ a w like that. That was, if not overtly said the implication he could come in and probably turn the fans against him pretty quick, so all of a sudden, you would have, you know, Hangman, page against, He'll take, then page against, he'll Daniel Bryan. That those are possible, But I think it's more likely that those two names come in as faces, and Kenny's your top heel, and eventually you turn Cody heel, probably before those two. I don't I shouldn't say probably. At this point, you can do so much that you can have a top tier opponents for all of them, So I don't think you have to, but I agree with the with the consideration that it might be too much to not have Paige win and then a Page wins and you take it away from him two months later. You know he got to the top and couldn't stay there. That might be worse than not winning, and the crowds are so in a hang Man, you can create your own star, and Kenny confued without a title and still be a big star. So maybe that is the tipping point. It's going to be a really interesting decision from Tony Kahan. I'm sure he's weighing factors beyond the ones that I just brought up. Greg your thoughts on that topic.
Speaker 4: When you eventually run the Adam Page versus Kenny Omega manche, I think you've got to have Paige win. I think having Omega win is it's overthinking the situation. It's trying to do too much, it's trying to outsmart yourself a little bit. I think the only reservation I have about that is what you brought up. When you bring in guys like Punk and Brian, do you want to have them go against Omega the champion before you get to Adam Paige, and I think it would be very difficult to pad things out further and have Adam Page sort of hanging on the line waiting for Omega to face Punk, waiting for Omega to face Danielson and presumably beat them both, which I think it would be difficult to do it in and of itself, and then have them face Adam Page. The alternative, as you said, would be Page beats Omega. Omega eventually goes into a match with Punk or Danielson without the title being on the line, which is fine. I don't think there's anything really wrong with that, other than there are very few wrestlers who if you're not gonna go with Page. There are very few wrestlers who can realistically, in the fans' minds, beat Omega right now for the title, just because he's built himself up as this belt collector so much that I think Punkin and Danielson are two guys who people view as believable in beating Kenny Omega. So certainly a lot to consider, but I think ultimately for me, it comes down to sometimes the obvious is the right move, and to me, the obvious is having Page beat Omega and pay off this long storyline.
Speaker 1: All right, Ken back to.
Speaker 3: Oh that's about it. I'll keep the streak going. Go Vip well worth it and I'll like you.
Speaker 8: Yeah, you go.
Speaker 1: I appreciate it. Ken, thanks so much. All right, I don't need to do this, but three four seven two one five eight five five eight is the number. Push one on your keypad when you call. We'll be by Friday night after SmackDown. I am tentatively planning to attend SmackDown on Friday. Zat Cadorn will be in my place hosting, but I should be part of the show by being the on Psyche correspondent. If you're also attending in Minneapolis, though, give me an email or drop me an email and let me know and I'll pass along as that because we always like to get more than one perspective from different parts of the building. And it's not a lock lock. I'll be there. So uh, let's go next to Shane in Detroit. Shane, thanks for calling, Thanks for holding so long. What do you think it down to by tonight?
Speaker 2: Hey waiting, Greg?
Speaker 16: How are you tonight?
Speaker 1: Good? Good?
Speaker 7: Good good?
Speaker 16: Yeah, dynamite It.
Speaker 7: Was great tonight.
Speaker 16: I mean, you know, you guys already hit on hanging in and Dark Lost quite a few times already, but that was disappointing. I am curious to see what they're going to do next with it. Obviously, I see punk news.
Speaker 11: You know, as long as it's what it's looking like it is, that's obviously great for the debut of Is that the debut episode of Rampage in Chicago?
Speaker 1: I think so? Is that right, Greg?
Speaker 4: But yeah, I believe so.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Yeah, So.
Speaker 16: That's that's obviously a great land for them after he's been in the standoff for seven years with going back to wrestling.
Speaker 7: But otherwise, you.
Speaker 16: Know, like I said, it was a great show. I'm just wondering what is the status of Uh it was cash Wheeler his arm. There was that spot where he found the ring post, and it looked a little brutal.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he was holding that arm and like pressing against it, so it looked like he got cut. Greg any any perspective on what you saw on TV, there.
Speaker 4: No just look very painful. It did look like a cut. I'm not sure you know how serious it was or anything like that. That might be a question for one of our live callers if we get another one, is you know, what was the reaction postmatch to Wheeler and how was that injury dealt with?
Speaker 1: Obviously in that match, it was kind of it was a little flatter crowd wise than they wanted because the crowd it seemed kind of beat from that marathon ten men tag. But also obviously they didn't go to the finish. It's weird seeing a tag match that ends with one guy doing a move against one guy. That's not a good thing. By the way, that should happen more often. It shouldn't seem like, Wow, something's really wrong here. Somebody must be hurt when one guy beats one guy in a tag match. I mean, most of the time. It's fine to have a double team move obviously, but probably more exceptions here and there would be good. Uh So it didn't go as planned. I didn't. I just picked up on on Cash not being involved. And then when he was pressing his arm, my take was he was bleeding from you know, that there was some sort of artery that got cut or something that was bleeding pretty bad and he had you know, he looked concerned but stable, and three medics tending to him. Didn't seem to me like there was a type of injury that's like, you know, he's going to need surgery as much as it was a cut. But that's just me watching on TV without any any knowledge at this point of anything from on site.
Speaker 11: Yeah, I mean, it just it wasn't easy to tell from you know, watching on TV.
Speaker 16: But anyways, you know, the and then the Nick Gage and Jericho match, you know, I know you guys have also discussed whether or not maybe it was a little bit more on the hardcore side, maybe a little bit garbage wrestling style.
Speaker 2: It wasn't.
Speaker 7: It wasn't too bad.
Speaker 11: I mean, we've seen stuff like this.
Speaker 16: In aw several times where it's a little bit more on the extreme side, I personally enjoy it, but that's maybe just the attitude era influence that I enjoy seeing.
Speaker 11: In the AW.
Speaker 1: Greg just in general, what's your vibe on AW right now interaction to kind of Shane's framing up it as what it means to him.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think coming back with the crowds has really helped AW as I think we all thought it would. You know, I think AW crowds before the pandemic, we're pretty hot for the product in terms of reactions and how it came across on television, and that helps, you know, it helps the viewers at home get the impression that it's a hot product when the live crowd is reacting strongly to it, as they've done for AW shows for quite a while. So it's you never know if you're AW or even WWE what you're booking is like during the pandemic, AW got a little better impression of what the fans thought because they were admitting more and more fans into Daily's place in Jacksonville as things went on. But you know, touring is a whole different thing as opposed to playing in front of the same audience over and over again. NXT can attest to that. So it's a feather in aw's cap that they're still able to get these strong reactions out of the pandemic. That means what they did booking wise during the pandemic worked. And so you know, fans want to watch a hot product. They don't want to sit at home and watch a product that they perceive to be not popular or flat. And AAW is coming across so far as anything but.
Speaker 1: All right, very good, Shane, any closing words for you before I move on to another call.
Speaker 16: That's all I have for tonight, But again, thank you for taking my call and get out of your way for other calls.
Speaker 1: Sure, thanks, thanks, she I appreciate it.
Speaker 2: Ay stuff. Do you ever watch a WWE and think it used to be better?
Speaker 17: I don't know, josh Sometimes I think it used to be a whole lot worse.
Speaker 2: I mean, whether it's rest many main events, old dudes at the top, to many titles.
Speaker 17: Or women's wrestling.
Speaker 2: We're here to answer the big question, is it worse or better? Now? Join me Joshua White.
Speaker 17: And me Stephanie Cheese.
Speaker 18: For Worse or Better part of the PW Torch Daily castline. I'm dropping on Monday nights.
Speaker 17: Search pw Torch in your podcast apps such as Apple Podcasts or Spotify to subscribe for free or get a commercial free version with the PW Torch VIP membership. Check out pw torch dot com, slash go vip for details and going vip.
Speaker 2: Worse or better.
Speaker 18: Finally, something for wrestling fans to do on Monday nights.
Speaker 1: I just saw RNSI correspondent Luke call and then drop off. So Luke, if you are still listening, feel free to call back in and just push one on your keypad when you do call in, and we'll be sure to get to you as soon as we wrap up with Oh there he just did again, so maybe hit two twice. So we're gonna go to our other on site correspondent, Luke, and then we've got eight o four on deck and Nick and Jay and Ed and Chris on Javier still on hold. I think I covered everybody who haven't got to yet, but let's begin here with Luke. Luke, thanks so much for calling in.
Speaker 19: All right, yeah, great show, and I we touchded somebody earliers in the building.
Speaker 1: They said it was like ninety five percent full of all the seats that they could have sold. Go go ahead with your take on that.
Speaker 20: No, yeah, it was definitely full.
Speaker 19: It was so when I when I walked up, it was, I was, it was so full because when I walked up.
Speaker 13: It was like whoa.
Speaker 19: People were waiting outside and it was it was people were surprised that it was such a big weighty.
Speaker 1: I I'm in particular interest. Did he get your take on what happened with Nick Gage and Chris Jericho in terms of how much the crowd reacted to Nick from your perspective, did they know who he was or they excited to see him, or was he more of a curiosity or people just didn't know what didn't care? And then what was your sense of how the crowd reacted to the match. Did they get more into it or were they turned off by that level of violence? Your take on that, Oh.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was.
Speaker 7: It was a big match for sure. People love Nick Gauge.
Speaker 21: It was.
Speaker 22: I mean, it was.
Speaker 7: It was definitely a big match for sure.
Speaker 3: Like people were.
Speaker 19: Into it and I just you know, I sat by someone and and he was like, hey, Nick Gage is here. I mean he said, yeah, it's a big match.
Speaker 7: So it was it was, it was, it was definitely.
Speaker 1: Right, Great, do you want to jump into the question.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we talked earlier about the FTR match and cash Wheeler getting hurt on the outside, it seemed like they went to the finish pretty quickly when you were watching that match. Could you tell what went wrong in that match, how injured Cash Wheeler was, or what the aftermath was in terms of the medics attending to him after the match.
Speaker 23: Well, whatever they did, they definitely did it good, because I couldn't tell. Really, it was kind of like whatever they did, it was kind of quick, so it seemed kind of weird, so I wasn't sure.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it was hard to tell watching TV exactly what the what the injury was or or how serious it was.
Speaker 7: I guess, right, right, right.
Speaker 1: Look, did you pick up from the announcement about the United Center show and Darby Allen that they were hinting at Sampunk being at that Chicago show next month and and you know, were there CM punk chance, you know, like overtly or was there a pop in the crowd? It was hard to tell on television how much people picked up on that being a pretty overt hint.
Speaker 20: Oh, yeah, that's a yeah, there was definitely I I honestly were a seem puncture and it was definitely a thing for sure.
Speaker 1: Was there a chance for him at any point?
Speaker 20: There were no, There were no chants, There weren't any chances I.
Speaker 7: Could pick up on.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but.
Speaker 19: The biggest thing was was Jericho, but biggest pop.
Speaker 7: Yeah, biggest pot for Jericho for sure, But.
Speaker 19: Nothing that nothing that I could of like, you know, pick you know, I mean like there's no nothing in particular that I could say that was first seem poker Brian.
Speaker 23: Yeah, it's kind of just like it was like a normal you know. I mean I've never been to a Dynamite.
Speaker 1: But overall have you been to Delao B shows before?
Speaker 9: Oh?
Speaker 20: Yeah, yeah, I've been plenty of of w shows I've been to, like were a Rumble and SummerSlam and stuff like that.
Speaker 1: But yeah, what was different about Dynamite? Like what how would you describe to somebody who hasn't been to a Dynamite but been to a lot of w W shows like you? What what felt different?
Speaker 24: Uh?
Speaker 1: Just completely different vibe, different fans or did it feel like w W ten years ago? What what stood out to you?
Speaker 25: Oh?
Speaker 22: Yeah, it was it was awesome because uh, like if Rawl was coming here, I would not have come here, like for real, Like it's just how you know, I mean, like the vibe of Dynamite was so good and you know, you know.
Speaker 19: I yeah, I rad and kind of lately, but.
Speaker 7: You don't say tonight it was good.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there was a Uh, it was hard to tell how big of a pop Lance Archer got coming out. We talked to Ronsie correspondent earlier in the show, but just about everybody else. But I then ask about him, what where would you rank him? Was it like half the response that say Cody and Jericho and Hangman got or was it in the in the mix of the top tier?
Speaker 20: Okay, yeah, Lance Archer definitely got a good pop.
Speaker 4: He was.
Speaker 20: It was Yeah, Lance Archer definitely got a good pop.
Speaker 7: He was. He was definitely part of the top tier.
Speaker 1: Yeah, look, anything else you want to share with us. We're running along and we got more callers and I don't want to keep it too long either, but anything else in particular from your experience tonight you want to.
Speaker 19: Share, Oh yeah, it was just aw is definitely a great show, and there's like there's a lot of people like it's it's it's a different, vibrant WW like.
Speaker 7: I've been to w W shows.
Speaker 19: I've been to like throw Rumble pay per views, but it was it was a fun vide and I definitely was like and uh when I first got to got to the building, it was like packed, like I had just stay outside nose like, yeah, you're getting in the pavilion. People are excited about going. Yeah, I'd say about it.
Speaker 1: Cool, awesome, Luke, thank you for calling us and sharing your perspective on Attenning tonight.
Speaker 2: Thanks appreciate you.
Speaker 1: Yep, you bet. If you're listening to us on the Apple podcast app, on Spotify or any other app that allows you to rate our podcast, please take a moment to give us a five star rating. It really helps us in the algorithm and helps them know that you recommend us to others. Just look for a place to rate the show on Spotify, on Apple Podcasts, or wherever you're listening to our shows, and please click that five star rating. And of course, thank you so much for listening. All Right, we will keep rolling through regular calls here and go next to uh who was up next here in the queue. We'll go to ed in High Desert, California. Edward. Thanks for calling what'd you good DNAI tonight?
Speaker 25: I was going away and Greg, Oh, the show obviously was good in that the the main event. Yeah, it didn't. It missed its mark. It wasn't the goryness or whatever.
Speaker 11: It was just it was just bad.
Speaker 25: And I guess what Jericho was going for his finish, but it was really just a back bump and he pinned and that's how Gauge gets pinned. That seemed kind of weird. And unless I missed it through the whole thing, why didn MJF just jump in help beat up Jericho and then Gauge could a pen him right? And wouldn't I know, it kind of ends everything and what not, But isn't wouldn't that be the point?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I guess you could have no rules in the match. I guess you could argue on Jeff just felt like one nick age can do it himself, and he just was more confident too. I think the idea would be MJF doesn't want to be anywhere near the ring with all that all that broken sharp glass and you know the blood, and it's just like you could imagine him thinking, hey, I dressed, I dressed. I didn't dress for the occasion. I didn't pressed for the occasion, and I brought a guy who should be able to do it himself. I mean, you know, you can argue, and I mean we're kind of, you know, talking sort of about the instant reaction to the show, but you can kind of step back and go was MGF upset enough about it?
Speaker 5: You know?
Speaker 1: He was like, you know, his check's not gonna clear if he doesn't kick out, And he ultimately didn't kicked out at three and a half. He pulled the deal where you get pinned, but you kick out right after the three count, which is not a big deal. I don't think Tony con should be upset about it, but he wasn't like flat out knocked out. He can kind of, you know, say I visited someone else's territory and took on their top star and took him to the limit and and the rest count was fast. If he wants to even address it, Yeah, Greg, your your thoughts on that aspect of it though. Should MGF have been more upset by the loss as just immediately pivoting to the next week and not really selling the loss as much?
Speaker 25: Uh?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I was kind of wondering if they were running along in the match too, and you know, going to the finish sort of awkwardly knowing that they had to get MJF out there to announce next week's stipulation and everything like that. I think I'm with you Wade in terms of I don't think MJF would want to sully his hands by getting involved in a match like that, even if it meant that he would never have to face Acris Jericho again, just because And also the fact is, you know, he's got three more labors to throw at Jericho, so even if this one doesn't work out, you know, he could be more confident in some of the other ones he has lined up.
Speaker 1: All right, Yeah, anything else.
Speaker 25: Share the Also, I thought this was or just funny gauge ways the same same weight.
Speaker 5: As the Autumn Coal, but with.
Speaker 25: Who is it? Hangman Page? I understand he is the guy Todd Omega, but he really the guy to is he gonna? I mean, is he really somebody's going to carry the company as the champion? It's like, on one end, is he is he like Bobby Rude? Where the and obviously he's better than that, don't get me wrong, But the whole the fans are with them with the glorious thing, and then it just kind of goes nowhere or you know, is he beyond that? Because I don't know. I just I just feel and I'll go, actually, I'll just run this real quick for you can move on to be Omega. He misses the mark with me, and his look now especially just comes off as just he doesn't come off as a star. It's just that pleasy guy. And I know he's a heel and all that, but it just looks like a sleazy guy who's not the star in the show. He's the you know whatever, you know, your manager, and a TV show that is you know, not even a supporting actor. He's like a supporting supporting supporting actor. And I don't know, he just misses the mark. So his title reign has not been I don't I.
Speaker 3: Don't want to like, I don't know.
Speaker 25: I don't know that that him getting beat is.
Speaker 5: That important.
Speaker 13: I don't know.
Speaker 25: That's not the right wording for it. And then the other one is Moxley, like he's better in aw, no doubt about it, and his promo today was good. I always feel like he never quite gets that next step, and that's where like the silliness of what I guess happened in WWE with him and how Vince was and then now he's left to his own devices, Like somewhere in there, there has to be somebody to kind of manage him and give him better boundaries, because he should easily be you know, I mean, he should be beyond wrestling. I think is a name. And now maybe he doesn't want to because I understand he you know, wrestling is his thing from you know, all the way around, and he's not looking to be like superstar outside of it. But I would think he can be kind of transformational and it I don't know, I never think he gets there with all the death matches and hardcore matches and always kind of I think he kind of brings himself down to a certain level.
Speaker 1: Yeah, lots of commisary.
Speaker 5: That was everything.
Speaker 1: Yeah, thanks so so. Working our way backwards a little bit starting with Moxley. I mean I have some of the same thoughts that Ed does in terms of, you know, mox went because he leans so hard into the hardcore stuff and he just wants to be himself and that he isn't this transformational centerpiece act. He had a run as the champion, and there was a novelty factor of oh my god, a shield members signed with WWE. But I think he AW has an ensemble top tier, and you know, when you compare it to Cody, I mean, you can make the case because they have so many top tier guys who they don't just incessantly push as a top guy that you know. I mean, Jericho's probably Greg been the most pushed top tier act consistently all along, but not by a wide margin over Kenny or Moxley or Cody, who's sort of in the Cody verse, you know, off to the side but still framed as a big star. A lot of people have sort of had their moment, but then there's not even that big of a drop off when you get to the tag division with a variety of teams there named most most prominently the Bucks, but others too, and then Lance Archer's had moments on top, and and now Mirro's getting prominent, and of course Darby and and and Sammy and Jungle Boy have all had their moments, and Orange Cassidy, like I just I don't know if AW is gonna be a place where even a Moxley because of the richness of the talent and the diversity of who gets pushed, is going to have that that dominant, top level centerpiece, you know, three year period that maybe he he or others have had in WWE in a similar positions him. So that's kind of my take on that. Your your your thoughts, Greg on that, and then if you want, you can take up the other things you brought up to.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mentioned this before, you know, when I talked about the AW roster at the top and how they've been so good at maneuvering guys in and out of that main event spot, and Moxley it certainly one of them. If the biggest complaint you can levy against John Moxley is well he's not going to become a generational breakthrough star, well okay, that still leaves a lot of room for him to be excellent, very good a main eventor for ten years in AW and that's nothing to sneeze at. So, you know, I think Moxley has has found his voice in AW and I know you've mentioned that a number of times wide and this is who John Moxley is, and some of that may be what prevents him from crossing over and I don't think he minds. So, you know, to me, I think Moxley is having the kind of success a lot of people wish he had in WWEE without you know, the hot Dog stand and all the goofiness that he went through, especially later on in his run after the Shield and after feuding with the folks in the Shield, you know the other side, you know, Omega and Page. I think fans, I think Page is much more well rounded than Bobby Rude in terms of why fans root for him. Page has a three dimensional story. He has a three dimensional character, whereas Bobby Rude had the theme music and that was it and there wasn't much to him beyond that in terms of a character, Whereas I think, yes, fans you know, chant for Page and things like that, but it goes beyond that. You know, they're supportive of him beyond that. So I think that the Page, as I said before, is the right guy to dethrone Omega.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think from a charisma and Bondie with fans standpoint, you know, Pages is you know, two three levels higher than Rude. But I get bringing that up. I mean, I didn't you know gfat at the comparison I'll also say I think Rude had a chance. I don't know, was it two thousand and eight or I'm trying to think of, like when there was that moment in time that he could have been that I wrote a cover story on it when Rud is going into a pay per view and I thought he should have won the TENA title and been pushed as kind of the everyman. And I mean, if if you read the if I went back and round the cover story, my recollection of it is that it described a character that's not all that different than Hangman Page, not not the cowboy shit stuff, but a guy that fans related to and he represented them, and that the time was right, in that moment in time, based on the economy and politics and in the world for teenage just kind of lean into him and that might have been his best chance to take off. I think Page is a better version of that. And I don't know if i'd say a better wrestler, because Rude was so good, but in Page's body of work, it just you know, he hasn't had those big moments, and Rud had some really good opponents to work with. So we'll see my hunch's Page will have a substantially better career in terms of the average crowd size and the money he makes, and and and the size of the audience that that watches him on TV. And I think he has by a significant margin, a more marketable range to his personality. But I but you know, Rude was a homegrown guy, you know, in TNA and in the more affable every man at one point when he wasn't pay you know, leaning on the It pays to be rude, cliche and and doing good work, but you know, sometimes you just kind of got in a in a rut as a character. So anyway, that's my take on that. As far as Kenny, you know, looking like a sleazy slob or something like that, I mean, yeah, I mean, you know, he's he's given off some weird vibes. I think it's working now. I like when it's you know, when it seems like he's putting some time and money into his wardrobe and some time in thought, you know, some time in thought into his promos and not just kind of thinking I'm the greatest and I do the v trigger and people love me, and I'm just going to go do the best of you know, the best of hits, and you know, I think true top stars come across like they put a ton of thought into what they do. I don't always feel that way about Nny. It doesn't mean it's he doesn't, but it doesn't necessarily always show up in what he does. But I think there's been more of it lately, and you know, the blend of what he and Kellus have done an impact and the high points in aw and I think a higher energy level since crowds have come back make me higher on him than I have been in a while. But I don't disregard that some of the stuff that I was critical of prior that that Ed just brought up, Greg is looming and a possibility there, Yeah.
Speaker 4: For sure. I mean, Omega is a guy who can go two or three weeks and give you the impression that he's really honed in on what this character can be, and then one week he just kind of falls off the rails. So I think it's that consistency with him.
Speaker 1: Yep, I think that's what we'll put all right. I appreciate the call Ed.
Speaker 4: Hey everyone, Greg parks here. You've probably heard me hosting Wrestling Night in America after pay per views and also co hosting the Tuesday Flagship with Wade Keller. I also host a VP exclusive podcast every week called Greg Parks Out Loud. In this podcast, I delve into a single topic for around twenty minutes, perfect length for one of your daily commutes or while walking the dog. A couple of my recent episodes included a look at TNA as they moved to AM and WWE and AW injuries for the year twenty twenty five. You can listen to VIP podcasts with a VIP membership on many platforms including on Patreon, Spotify, the Apple Podcast native app on iPhone and CarPlay, just about every popular iOS and Android podcast app out there, and even stream right from the ad free pw Torch VIP website. Full details on VIP membership at pw torch dot com slash go VIP.
Speaker 2: As an added bonus, VAP membership means.
Speaker 4: You won't hear this commercial again or any commercials as commercial breaks as skipped right over on the VIP podcast feed. In addition to all the commercial free VIP podcasts check it out. We'd love for you to join our community and unlock access to all our VIP exclusive content.
Speaker 1: Well. Move to our next call here and we'll go to eight o four I think is yeah, we'll go to eight o four. Next go to state your name and where you're calling from.
Speaker 26: Hi, this is Ashley from Virginia. I'm actually on my way back the show today.
Speaker 1: Oh cool, Yeah, well, uh, what do you think of Dynamite? What was it like at the building tonight?
Speaker 11: Yeah?
Speaker 26: It was, of course an awesome show.
Speaker 21: It's it's the vibe and the energy that you've given me when you get to that show is just completely different than WW. Just when you when you were talking about it earlier, just kind of really made me think about it.
Speaker 26: It's just kind of night and day, especially lately.
Speaker 21: But the main reason I kind of wanted to call in a was to kind of get your guys opinion on the whole Cody Roads and Blacky.
Speaker 26: Blacks going on. And I wasn't sure if you guys picked.
Speaker 21: Up on, yeah, on the reaction that Cody got, because that was really shocked. I'm a big Cody Roads fani and also of course manipied Black but he when they first showed him backstage, he got food and at first I thought maybe it was just because like he was backstage and.
Speaker 26: Not like live in front of us or something like that.
Speaker 21: But once they started brawling, like onto the stage, like Cody continue to get food and then Malachi got like masked, well pretty big cheers, So, especially when they went to Bridge, I was just really surprised by that.
Speaker 26: But then, what do you say that man's going forward.
Speaker 1: I'm super glad he brought that up, because one it's it's a it's a major topic on a show full of a lot of major topics. And I was wondering watching on television if my ears were deceiving me or not, and you're confirming they didn't. I was thinking. Even Malachi when he leaned down to talk to Cody, was saying something like listen to those people, you know, kind of rubbing it in a little bit, but not sure if he should lean in hard on it because it wasn't, you know, necessarily what aw was looking for. There's a possibility that that Charlotte just hates Jerry Lynn, and you know that when he appeared on screen, they just bowed the hell out of Jerry. No, I'm joking, of course that's not the case. Greg. Did that come across to you and what is your take on that? Because I think, you know, reality show Cody, Cody versus Cody, q T Marshall pushing my buddy's Cody wearing the white suit. And I mean, there's something about Cody that's going to make a really good heel for the types of fans that are going completely crazy in bonkers for Hangman. And I'm not sure that somebody who loves Hangman that there's gonna be one hundred percent or a high percent crossover who also love everything about Cody. You know, mister Hollywood, mister reality show, mister judge on a game show. Hey, I'm a father, even though a lot of people become fathers. I'm gonna have that be part of my ring announcements and the politics of Brandy. I mean, there's a lot of things that if people stop seeing Cody as the founder and the savior and the guy who was under pushed and disrespected by vincic Mann, but see him through a different lens of the AEW history, people might start boone him. Then he had out at Malchi Black to the mix who fans are excited to see in respect especially the aw type audience. Yeah, I'm not shocked. And Ashley confirmed something that seemed to come across on TV, but it was short enough and the crowd is sort of just exploding for seeing them all through the stage that it didn't sink in totally until she brought it up again.
Speaker 4: If you're a defender of Cody, you can write this off and say, well, Malachi Black's a new toy for the aw fans, so they're gonna cheer him. There's a percentage of the fan base who want to get behind him because they felt he was held back in WWE, or you know, whatever the case may be. But you know, Charlotte, his family with his father has some history there in Charlotte, and I don't know how much of the fans, how many of the fans that were there tonight, go back to that era of Jim Crockett promotions in Charlotte and Dusty Rhodes, But you know, usually that that buys you a futures if nothing else, just that the family history in that region. So the fact that Cody's getting booed here when he's you know, very obviously doing the good guy in white versus the bad guy in black. The sort of Sean Michael's undertaker stuff we saw in one of their WrestleMania matches and he's getting booed here. That's the sort of thing that can kind of snowball. So I'm interested to see what the reactions are going to be in the coming weeks. You know, Cody's personality and the way he presents himself, either you know, obliviously or he's in on the joke, can be heavy handed at times, and we may just be seeing the beginning of that backlash.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Cody's a quirky guy, and he wears his ego up front and center as a feature, not a flaw as he intends it if he's self aware, and it could be unintentional too and end up working against him. And there's a lot to like about Cody, but there's aspects that are, like I said, ripe to be booed. Actually, if you want to follow up on that or bring up some other things from being in Attendants tonight, you're welcome to to that too.
Speaker 26: Yeah, yeah, just really quick.
Speaker 21: It just I think it's postomy too, just because with the I guess impending editions of Sam Funk and Brian Daniels, and assuming.
Speaker 27: They both obviously come in as baby bases, I think aw would be pretty heavy on baby bases and maybe Cody's turning heel or maybe this reaction tonight could be the start of maybe that slow.
Speaker 26: Turn, just because maybe they'll they'll deem more more opponents for these guys are going forward.
Speaker 8: If I try that, they go So I was.
Speaker 21: Just curious about that and what you guys think about for bigger going forward.
Speaker 26: I know I believe that the submit that she had and I couldn't really catch.
Speaker 21: All that believe she just referenced Nyla Rose. But do you think she's gonna move on back to thunder Rosa now or what direction do you think she'll be going in once she heals up?
Speaker 10: Of course?
Speaker 1: Yeah, the announcer's overtly, you know, said thunder Rosa, you know it's going to be in the toitle picture soon and talked about her signing a multi year deal, so you know they're they're definitely laying a groundwork for that, both with a win tonight but also on the commentary and and worth her signing a deal. Uh, but you know Britt Breaker right now cutting a promo and Nyla Rose, I mean, Britt is a is the top female star and whether she's healthy or not. She's a top female star in that company, and I think they don't need to rush anything with her. I don't think there's an exprat Data. I don't think there's someone around the corner that aw is gonna sign that's gonna say, oh, they should have struggled Aaron was hot with Britt. I think they can do a slow burn with her staying true to herself but being a contextual baby face some of the time and maybe a contextual heel other times where when the fans are cheering them, because they just don't have a deep enough roster to necessarily have her go hard, just straight up face, straight up heel and only fight. Then the opposite role, they might want her to kind of be the champion who fight who defense against both more more, because she's a top star and they want everyone they sign to have a chance to wrestle her, regardless of if there if they're fan favored or not. Greg your take on that situation.
Speaker 4: I don't think Britt Baker needs to have that aha baby face turned moment. I think the fans get behind her because of the way she carries herself and her confidence level. She reminds me a little bit of Becky Lynch in that regard. You know, Becky Becky became popular, but her popularity became massive because she was the man. You know, she carried herself as the alpha of that women's division in a way that you see in Britt Baker. So I think the situations are somewhat similar, and I would like to see Britt Baker continue on the track that she's on, not really change anything, even if the fans cheer her and sort of turn her baby face. I would kind of like to see her going forward and continuing with this character and continuing this championship run. You know, I think it's time to move away from Nila Rose. I think the match that they had was a little disappointing, and I don't think there's a lot of meat on that bone in terms of a rematch or delving any deeper into anything there. So they have a pretty decent They've accumulated quite a bit of talent women's talent over the last several months to year. So there are whether it's thunder Rosa, whether it's someone else, there should be some top opponents lined up for Britt Baker in the coming months.
Speaker 1: Actually, anything else you want to bring up.
Speaker 14: No, No, that was it.
Speaker 21: I just kind of wanted to get yours and put on that, so I'll drop off in and let you guys.
Speaker 26: Go and get to have the callers.
Speaker 6: But Greg, thank you.
Speaker 21: It was a pleasure talking to you.
Speaker 26: It's it's so great.
Speaker 22: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I was gonna say before you do hang up, I appreciate your kind of words too, actually, and glad you called in. What was what? What was your I've asked everybody this, who the other two who were there? What's your take on the reaction to Nick Gage and coming out, how many people knew him, how excited they were, and whether that match was what everybody was looking for or cringe your you know, cringe worthy or too gory for some fans. Just kind of the ebb and flow of the crowd reaction for that match.
Speaker 21: Yeah, no, I think everyone was pretty much looking forward to it. I don't think that was necessarily the match that the majority of the crowd was there for. I think it was the opening match, the elimination match between the league and wear a hang Ma Page. But a couple of parents who had much younger kids ended up leaving right before the main event. I think because they pretty much knew what to expect, so they probably.
Speaker 26: Didn't want to take the younger kids.
Speaker 21: There, but their kids were probably like five, six, seven years old, so you know, not the older kids. But yeah, I think for the most part, I would say probably about probably half of the crowd.
Speaker 26: Knew who Nick Age was, but it was they kind of like everyone loved Jericho, so they were kind of like just cheering Jericho, not by default but just because it's just Jericho. But they still cheered for for Cage and still there was MVK chance throughout the night, and when his package was on earlier in the show, he got a pretty good response. And so I would say the majority of people who there knew who he was, but I don't think I don't think they necessarily the majority was there necessarily specifically to see that, but it was like an added bonus.
Speaker 1: Uh cool, Actually, thanks so much for taking time to give us a call, and I'll call again when you can.
Speaker 26: Yeah, yeah, thank you so much. I appreciate it, and everyone.
Speaker 1: Go vip thanks Ashley, appreciate it. Pwtorch dot com, slash go vip. What are you waiting for? Come on back or join us for the first time before pushing play on the Weaight Keller Pro Wrestling post shows. Check out pw torch dot com and our TV review section and skim through a full rundown of the TV show if you didn't see it, that's your way to get an overview of what happened before you dive into our in depth analysis of the key happenings on the show. That's pw torch dot com. You're home for live TV coverage every Monday, Wednesday and Friday with my TV reports, and also check out our NXT and Impact coverage on Tuesdays and Thursdays, our Collision reports on Saturday nights, and of course our live pay per view and POE coverage on weekends, all waiting for you at pw torch dot com. All right, let's see. We will go to Chris in Newfoundland. Chris, welcome to the show. What do you think of it?
Speaker 13: Out of me tonight, gentlemen, good well, morning for me?
Speaker 1: Good good.
Speaker 13: I believe, I believe and I might have missed it, but I believe the streak is over. I don't think we got a female canine reference.
Speaker 1: Ooh nice, I'm happy. Now let's start a new streak. I mean by that, I mean let's keep that. Let's keep that one going, not start dropping bwards next week.
Speaker 13: Yeah, yeah, yeah, for sure. I don't know if this was a Canadian thing, but we got cut to a picture of picture commercial during Maxley's promo. I don't know if either of you had that issue or if anybody else did, but I missed like eighty percent of Marxley's promo.
Speaker 1: Huh No, it didn't happen for us.
Speaker 13: So as soon as you mentioned town of how She's name, it cut out.
Speaker 1: Oh interesting, Well that's a bummer. But now probably just a glitch from the local what channel carries.
Speaker 13: It as TSN we get it done? Who used to have WWE?
Speaker 1: But yeah, SOBLY just went to a local break when they shouldn't have, or they had more breaks than T ANDT scheduled.
Speaker 13: A lot of the stuff has been picked clean. I know how heavier it feels every week now. A couple of things I wanted to just touch on real quick, the worry that I have with some of the signings that they've had recent I mean, we've got Gauge on the show. We don't know if he's going to get a contract probably. It seems unlikely, but you've got Janella, you've got Maxley, you've got Kingston, you've got Lansachi, you've got Dobby. If they signed an a gauge, Is it possible that Tony Kahn and his well known love for ECW, that Rampage is going to be ECW style show.
Speaker 1: I don't think so, But I wouldn't mind if Rampage had a distinct, you know, identity where you kind of knew what you were getting, and with that later night time slot there would be more freedom. It's not that late. It's the third hour of Raw, you know, timeslot, you know, and not not you know, the Friday version of Ron Monday in that spot in that hour. But you know, I'm you know, but I don't know. I mean, I I think I think Eddie Kingston and you know Moxley is enough, you know. I mean, I think Nick Gage would be redundant, and I think Nick works better frankly on a smaller scale, you know, as a cult guy, not a national TV guy. Eddie Kingston's I think has transitioned successfully. But really I think Eddie's got that turf, that turf established as his own right now. Greg your thoughts.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I kind of agree. You know, he's at his best in these death matches and you can't you just can't do those every week or even every couple of weeks. So he's he's nice as a curiosity here on this kind of show, and you know, getting this kind of national exposure is going to help him going forward. And we've seen AW do that with wrestlers. We've seen them take independent wrestlers and give them exposure on AW and kind of give them a boost when it comes to going back on the independence. There's nothing wrong with that. You know, some people are better made for the independent scenes such as it is than being on a national weekly television show. And Gauge might be one of those guys.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, gooid Chris. Anything else.
Speaker 13: Well, I was going to say Joey Styles is still out there, but after what got him cut from involved in CHICAA, I don't think any promotion wants to touch him right now. The only other thing that hasn't really been beaten to death. I mean, I wanted to mention that Jim Ross might sound energized, but energized rambling is still rambling, and I still don't want to hear it. I want to just go back to what I actually just mentioned, that heal, the possible the reaction to Cody and maybe a heel to him there now, Alice and Malachi Black definitely said, do you hear those people? Cody, welcome to the House of Black.
Speaker 16: Yeah.
Speaker 13: I'm not sure how I feel about that as a catchphrase. But the white black thing, Greg, you mentioned Sean Michaels in the undertake a few Shawn Michael's got booed in that match. We have Mordecai all in white as a heel. Seth Rollins did all in white as a heel a couple of times, although he also did it as a face against Triple H. The all in white thing has often been used as a heel, almost as an ironic thing. Yeah, so it could. I don't know if they intended it, but they could easily transition it to that. And bringing in Punk and Danielson. You need a heal because no matter what you do, those two are going to get face receptions unless they literally come in and kick a puppy.
Speaker 1: I laugh and I hesitate if that would even even do it. Sadly, Oh, if it was Pharaoh, I don't want any dogs near Pyro right now. So let's you know, and I know people who have will never forgive Cody for putting Pharaoh through that, and I get it, Yeah, Greg, any thoughts.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think that's that's conceivable the way they go about it. I guess it all goes back to how you know, we mentioned this before, how aware is Cody of what he's doing and of you know, who he is. If he's super aware of what he's doing, then yeah, maybe it is him dressing in white as a heel tactic to be ironic. But I don't know that we have enough evidence that Cody is has that kind of awareness about him or if he thinks what he's doing is genuinely going to get a baby face reaction.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, anything else for us, yep.
Speaker 13: I'll leave you on this one.
Speaker 10: Wade.
Speaker 13: I had tweeted at you earlier this week with a prediction for that ten man tag, and sadly I got it completely wrong. I was convinced Omega was not going to wrestle. I thought he was going to back out and get Knakazawa in there, or that he would just walk off as he was the last man left. I have no idea what they're doing or why they went in the direction they went. I don't know if the plans changed because of the signings that the whole thing has been addressed pretty well on this show, but I just wanted to add I'm not a fan, and I really think it would have been better if Omega had just walked out and got the countdout as the last elimination or something. So I'll pass over to Nick and Javier if they're still waiting, and thanks for taking my call.
Speaker 1: Appreciate it. Thanks.
Speaker 6: Ris.
Speaker 1: Yeah, in that match, you know, Kenny was in the ring and then at the start against doing a forward to forehead trash talking type thing back and forth with Page. But then I think it was Gallows who kind of said no, no, back away and protected him. So Kenny wasn't overtly being you know, scared or chicken or reluctant. He was trying to put up a brave front. But yeah, he was involved in the match. I mean, so yeah, I think Payman Page fans were invested in this being his night, and there is a risk that in Tony's excitement about a lot of other things going on, that he overbooked or underestimated the deflating feeling that you know, Eric Role expressed at the beginning and other callers have.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I agree. I think that was a tough one, but you know, the rest of the show sort of made that result palatable, you know, because there was so much going on, and so I think that was putting it at the beginning sort of allowed the rest of the show to make that result easier to digest.
Speaker 1: I think yep makes sense.
Speaker 28: On Tuesday nights, the conversation doesn't stop when nxtends, it's just getting started. I'm Nate Lindberg, and alongside my co host Kelly Wells, we bring you PWT Talks NXT. We go live on the pw torch YouTube channel about fifteen minutes after the show to break down matches, storylines, and surprises, and we take your questions and comments from the live chat. Miss us live, but you still want to be part of the show, send your thoughts to pw Torch nxtatgmail dot com and catch the replay on YouTube or on the pw torch daily cast feed. Just search pw Torch on Apple Podcasts, Spotify, or wherever you listen. And of course you can always stream the latest shows at PW torch dot com.
Speaker 1: All right, we'll go to Jay in Hartford next. Jay, thanks for your patients, holding and what do you think of donam I'm assuming somebody's going to fall in asleep, well, you know, lying on the couch with her phone on speaker. Jay might be might have been someone Jay? Are there? All right? Well we'll check back with him and jump over to Nick in Brattleborough. Nick, thank you for your patients. Are you awake? Are you still there?
Speaker 24: Yeah? Hold all wait, what's home?
Speaker 5: No?
Speaker 24: I am awake. A couple of quick corrections. Britt Baker mentioned the B word twice.
Speaker 1: Oh jeez, oh man, all right, I don't know how I'm sorry, but and the other one is ramp If you're not going to say it, it's it's rampage. In the first one in Pittsburgh the week before United Center for the first dance.
Speaker 24: I'm the thirteenth. Yes, that was that was my second one. Yeah, you're not the first to want to commit.
Speaker 1: You were not the first to point that out. I'm very upset with caliber. But he messaged, and I'm going to be bitter that he corrected us on the air. No, I'm kidding. Yeah, it didn't sound right, but the first dance thing threw me off, and I I like, August feels so far away until it's here. So but yeah, yeah, oh, I know, yeah yeah.
Speaker 24: I also want to really commend Ashley for being one of our women callers. I think it's great, and I know it's not your doing or anything, but I love hearing a woman's perspective on something that what would you say, thirty percent of the audience for wrestling as women.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, but it's not they're not represented on our calls or emails unfortunately.
Speaker 24: Yeah. No, I just think it's cool, So I'm gonna throw out there's two very funny ironic things that happened tonight, and I believe it was Jim Ross, although sometimes I get him and Tony confused. But during the FTW celebration, when Brian came into the ring with the trombone, he said trombones have no place in wrestling. Call.
Speaker 1: Of course, that was my favorite line of the night, so true was great.
Speaker 24: I loved it. And then you probably didn't catch this because I'm sure you were finishing up your report, but right as Dynamite ends, which it did, run over tonight, by the way, right as it ended, they the TNT starts their movie and they say, please be aware that this movie contains material it might not be suitable for children. Your discretion is advised. Right after they've had this bloody mess all over the screen. So I just thought that was ironically very funny.
Speaker 1: And I was thinking, you know, like that should air before the Jericho match. And I fast forward through the commercial, so maybe they did air some sort of warning before Gage to Jericho. But I chuckle at that, and I was like, I don't know what movie it was, but I doubt it comes anywhere close to what we had just seen.
Speaker 4: The biggest, you know, the better, the better. Back to back and Twitter pointed this out is that after Nick Gage used the pizza cutter on Chris Jericho, they went to a commercial break and in Picture and Picture what was the first commercial It was for Dominoes and they had cutting the pizza with the I said, it's like, it's one of those things where're like, did they plan it that way? It was almost too convenient that it did that.
Speaker 1: That's funny, that's funny.
Speaker 24: Yeah, what at least here on YouTube, the Picture and Picture was I got picture and picture during most of the Pizza cutter stuff, which I was actually kind of thankful for just to add my voice to it. I it's not for me. I mean, God, bless those people who like watching it and stuff. It's just and by God.
Speaker 2: Bless you.
Speaker 1: You mean, what's wrong with you?
Speaker 13: Yeah?
Speaker 24: Right, exactly it was. I mean even the pizza cutters that it's the grinding that the tube and oh god, it's just like anyway, I have once anario, I'm going to run by you and then I'll let you guys discuss it and I'll hang up and let Hotty arget on. What if they figure some way where they don't really have a GM or anything, but the announcers say listen because of all the use of the belts, Adam Page is going to get his title shot at at all out? And is there any way they bring Punk in? Now? I'm missed Punk. I was like not watching wrestling when he was doing his thing. I've seen clips and stuff. Is there any way they can bring him in? He beats the tar and leaves Darby all in a bloody mess and they make him a heal and he's Page's first first feud after Page beats Kenny. I Greg that I'll let you talk about that, Go VIP and have a great night.
Speaker 1: Thanks. Thanks, appreciate your contribution as always, Greg, Yeah, you're rid of that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think it's possible Punk more so than Brian Danielson in terms of, you know, expecting Page to win it all out beat Omega. And then you've got two very big stars in Punk and Danielson, which if you're paying them the kind of money they're probably going to be getting, you want them in a very prominent position, and usually the most prominent position is in the world title hunt. So more Punk more so than Brian Danielson you could see as a heel facing a baby face Adam Page. I think the other thing we have to keep in mind too is I don't feel like with AEW we've had the problem at least so far, and it's run that we've had with WWE where you can sit there and look at WWE's raws smack down roster and say, wow, they are way short on heels or they're way short on babyfaces. AW has kept it pretty balanced, I think, with a large roster. So if Danielson and Punk come in, both his babyface I think that runs the risk of tilting the babyface side a little too far, especially when your last major acquisition came in Christian and he's a baby face as well. So I think just my numbers standpoint now, yes, and you know, I know people are kind of expecting him to turn on Jungle Boy. I don't know about that, but you know, just from a numbers standpoint, it may be wiser to bring Punk in as a heel.
Speaker 1: All right, very yeah, good luck. But I think both Brian and Punk are you know, might be up for that challenge, and it'd be it'd be gutsy, but I think there's I think there's a way to pull it off, even if it doesn't work where you don't go, well, that was crazy to didn't put a thought into it. I mean, I think you can put some thought into it and give it a try and and and if you got to adjust, you gotta adjust. I mean they did try to turn da w try to turn Day Brian heel at the peak of his popularity, and you know, so anyway, all right, just a reminder you can reach us at Wade Keller Post Show at gmail dot com if you're interested in contributing to the flagship or Wadekeller Post Show at gmail dot com. If you're interested in submitting a question or a topic or even a rant on the Wade Keller Pro Wrestling post shows. Let's go to two three one, next two three and go ahead, state your name and where you're calling from.
Speaker 9: MHM, and there's a Jacob Emery call from the Barvard, North.
Speaker 1: Carolina Jake for North Carolina.
Speaker 12: You said, Brevard.
Speaker 9: God, this is Jacob from Vard, North Carolina.
Speaker 2: Jacob Cool?
Speaker 1: Gotcha were you at the show nights?
Speaker 9: I was, yes?
Speaker 1: Cool? Well was it?
Speaker 11: Like?
Speaker 24: What?
Speaker 1: What's your takeaway from it?
Speaker 13: Uh?
Speaker 9: Incredible? It's my first AW show. Uh, I've been to. Uh, I've been to several w W events in Greenville, South Carolina, the first one there we went to, uh and and Charlotte ar one in Charlotte there and it was just just a world of difference between the between the two events, quite frankly.
Speaker 1: In what way paint that picture a little more?
Speaker 8: Yeah?
Speaker 9: So, uh So when you go to a w W event, everything seems old, everything seems so strategically planned out, like they have very much like you have a match, you have h you have the uh you know, in between matches, you have like video promos they've put onto the big display and they have all that stuff. And then like tonight, it was just like, you know, Justin Roberts will just come out and just be like, hey, you know, hey, let's have some one of the crowd once in a while, or some rustlers will come out and be like, hey, let's just just you know, like it's just you and us just having fun. And it was very more, very more personal, very more personable, and just much more, much more enjoyable, much more like you're part of an overall fan experience and what I what I've.
Speaker 24: Been used to.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, that's that's interesting. I mean, the the how it's different, just the vibe of being there and what that fan experience is like, it's interesting to me. And in w B does have a very distinct and formal way and a formula way that they go about things. What else jumped out in terms of crowd reactions tonight or just your your take on some of the big angles or matches.
Speaker 9: Well, and so one year college mentioned about Cody Roach there about how yeah, about how he was he was he was booted heavily, and and I'd have to agree with her very much so of how he was, Uh, he was on the screen kind of booted first, and then when when he got his first shot in there on Malachi there on the stage, it was a very strong like like don't don't do that basically and then my malechi got his shot, I got his shot in. It was very much like you.
Speaker 3: Know, hey, like it's awesome, great.
Speaker 9: You know, keep doing that and so uh and so that was that was that was something that was very much like, you know, stood out to me of like, you know, here's Cody who hasn't been hasn't really been a heel crowd reactionary wise, and is uh his a W run and then and then and then and then tonight here it was very much much that that an example of like, you know, he really could be a great heel for a W when it comes time to be that.
Speaker 1: Oh, I think Cody'd be a great heel And I think people will pay to boo him when the time comes. I think, you know, the reaction to him at all in and I was in Chicago for that. It was thank you so much for bringing us an alternative to what vincick Mann has been presenting us. And you know, we're with you. But the more we get distant from that, and the more he w gets its identity and the more he sits under a sign that says EVP, I mean, he'd better be going for heel heat when he flops that, because there are to babyface EVPs right now.
Speaker 7: You know.
Speaker 1: It's just I mean, you know, like EVP and coach like who does that? Who has a sign above their head indicate yah? So I don't know, But again I don't know. With Cody, you know, just the social awareness of how he comes across to some fans, if not most, you know, can catch up to him, and it does with some babyfaces sometimes where you know, you get you know, you kind of you start believing your elvis and you lean into that and sometimes people like, yeah, we love you, and other people like, hey, get over yourself. And so we'll see, we'll see. It's an interesting time. But he's he's he's so talented and has that star our aura that he does not stray from. You know, he unlike the Bucks and Kenny at times, you know, definitely pays attention to his wardrobe and his appearance and coming across as a star. So He's going to be fine either way. But the idea is lean into, you know, how the fans are reacting to you, and make money off of that whichever way it goes exactly.
Speaker 9: There was two other things that was kind of like I was curious as it come off. The one thing was the the elite coming off as like a like the elite squad thing and almost seemed like it was like too much of a space reaction, uh, to the live crowd. It was like, at first they started Boolean and all of a sudden they came out It's like, oh, he's a space jam kind of like squat, and it was like it was like, oh, well, hey, well we's here because like, you know, hey we have you know, this old school vibe that we love here but space Tom. But like at the same time, yeah, it's this was to heal acts.
Speaker 1: Of course, I was saying, I want to get Grace take on this. It could like I wasn't sure how the average fan at home or the building would take it if they were like mock. Obviously, they were doing an NBA style introduction because it's a ten mint egg. So we got five people that's a starting lineup and we're gonna play the music that a lot of NBA teams play at the beginning during formal introductions, and I thought it was really clever. I think if a baby Face team did it, the fans would roll their eyes and go, that's pandering, that's too much. It's a little too cute by half. With most baby Faces the heels doing it, it came across to me like they were intending to mock North Carolina's love of basketball and sort of make a mockery of it. But I don't know that it was obviously so I just I think that that's what they were going for, But I don't know if they went far enough with it where it just didn't come across as hey, look at these guys who love basketball having a good time in being showman. Greg, what was your interpretation of it watching it?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I thought it was over the top, but I don't know that it was over the top obnoxious enough, you know what I'm saying. It was totally Really it was actually kind of cool to see, you know, And I could I could see how fans would cheer that kind of entrance, and I think a lot of them did. It seemed like but you know, once the match got going, there was no question who was a Heels, So I thought, you know, I was really wondering if that was a good idea. The way the way it worked out, I think they could have leaned in a little more to make it a little more obnoxious, but it was just it was a cool visual either way.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, for sure, Jacob back to.
Speaker 9: Yeah, and to Greg's point there, like that's how it came across pretty much of the life crowd, like they hit it up at first, but then it came across its still just you know, went you know, as like it was just it just seemed like they were very much as full and stuff trying to dunk a basketball four or five times in a row or whatever. I mean, goodness, gracious. And then and then the last point I want to make was when the the very first time they mentioned the United Center, all of a sudden, the crowd just erupted, like seeing Punk chances all over evenue through how that came across it's a TV, but like it was like as a que right away, like well, seeing Punk's going to debuting there, and then like you know, two minutes later, here's Darby Allen you know, mentioning in best in the world, so like, it'll be interesting how they how they how they promote that, because do they want to promote that as like seeing Punk will be premiering there at this time, or will they just like try to still play it as a surprise angle to make it.
Speaker 1: Work I mentioned earlier, it might depend on how the ticket launch goes. If if the ticket launch is just crazy good and word of mouth is enough, maybe they lay low with it until Dynamite two days before, or maybe Punk debuts in Pittsburgh but not in person but in a video message or something just like to close the show if they need a final push for tickets. I mean, I'm just sort of spitballing. I think there's a lot of ways you can play it. You can announce it and not have them appeer. You can have them just uppear and you know, wink at the camera at the end of the first rampage. You can have the announcers say he's you know, a big name is going to be here, and the crowd chance it but they don't say it officially. I mean, there's a lot of ways you can let the larger audience know. I think they might prefer to be coy and wait for the moment to happen, but they can't do that if if they don't get you know, fifteen to twenty thousand people who know what they know what's at, know what's afoot, and and buy tickets based on what's implied, even if it's not overtly promoted.
Speaker 9: Well, I appreciate get taking my call. Like I said, my first first aw event there there was a first time calling you guys as all as well. People were around me saying, like, how when they were at Charlotte the last time there last year or two years? So at this point, yeah, it was like the half half the half the stadium or at the arena was like sectioned off and no one was allowed there, and like this time was a full crowd all around, and it was it was It was incredible.
Speaker 5: It was great.
Speaker 1: Admit it. You love Nick Barbatty when he co hosts with me on the Wade Keller Post Shows. Well, now you can listen to him every week on The Nickys Club, a VIP exclusive podcast. Here's Nick to tell you more.
Speaker 29: Hey wrestling fans, It's Nick Barbatty and I'm back with the Nickys Club the place where the family of Nickys comes together for big laughs and Shark takes on WWE for WrestleMania rumors to surprise returns.
Speaker 1: I got you covered.
Speaker 29: The Nicky's Club where the wrestling feels like the coolest club in town.
Speaker 1: Nick Barbatty wants to be part of your pro wrestling life every week, So why not let him go vip PW torch dot com slash go vip for full details on signing up. We're compatible with patreons, Spotify, Apple Podcasts, and just about any other iOS or Android app out there. You can also stream directly from our ad free VIP website. The Nikki's Club waiting for you every week at PW Torch vip. What percent of the fans do you think we're wearing merch like aw or just any kind of wrestling merchandise.
Speaker 9: I would say almost, like gosh, eighty ninety percent of the stands I saw they were wearing some kind of a wrestling merch Yeah, wasn't.
Speaker 8: I wouldn't.
Speaker 9: I wouldn't make it to be like as hot of a crowd as you would make it seem like like a typical like hardcore wrestling audience. But but again, like I beton several of the events, and it was still much much more hot of a crowd than than any kind of a wrestling event that I've been to.
Speaker 1: Well you didn't hear this, but Jim Jacob Jim Ross after the the United Center plug and you know there were a punk chants that he certainly heard in the crowd, and Ross said, uh, the future that that's compelling information. Let's say the future looks bright, jump on and ride along with us. The world will be traveling to Chicago. So yeah, it's I mean, they're ross so'ta genuinely excited, but also it's sort of like, hey, folks, if you don't know and you're not sure, wink not, I'm telling you you're gonna want to be there.
Speaker 9: Well, I mean there may be like there was one uh, there was one pop for Darby and Sting in the Dark Matches, Dark Elevation Matches before Hanging for the Kinnabite. Yeah, and then the Hangman Hangman pop. Other than that, the United Center announcement probably was the biggest pop to night. I would say, wow, Dan punk chance there.
Speaker 7: But that wow.
Speaker 1: Just saying United Center is basically saying seampunk because they're not going to book that building otherwise.
Speaker 9: Oh yeah, the last week and a half of the news. That's absolutely absolutely enough.
Speaker 1: Jake, before you run any anything you want to say from what happened before after Dynamite. I don't know how long you stuck around after Dynamite, but any kind of quote spoilers for if such, there's such a thing for dark anything jump out from that stuff.
Speaker 6: Yeah, fair enough.
Speaker 9: So Tony Kahn came out right like twenty minutes before Dynamite started and said that he gave like a fight for the fall and kind of steel, and said that he was going to donate one hundred thousand dollars for a local organization in Charlotte and gave a very heart felt message to a domestic balance abuse victims, and then said that he's gonna add John Mots to the cards and it was gonna, Yeah, it was gonna have a John motsip here. Unfortunately, I lived like two and a half hour drive away, so I had to get going like highly ten ten minutes after it was a it was done, but uh, but it sounded like it was gonna be a solid dark card. It was there, Yeah, promoted as their hundreds dark episode.
Speaker 7: Of the uh of the things?
Speaker 1: How many people were leaving in that first you know, ten minute window, like you, So when.
Speaker 9: I left there was there was a good amount of people leaving, but a good amount of people in their seats. I would say maybe like thirty percent people were leaving.
Speaker 5: I want to say.
Speaker 9: Yeah, but it was. But like I, I was able to walk to my car and get out no problem, which is a stark contrast to when I got there, when I was like backed up to a pretty much a mile of traffic and uh it had a like waiting line for twenty dirty minutes to park and stuff. It was not the not the best, not the best need to reach split that way.
Speaker 1: All right, Jacob, thanks so much. Call again, even if you don't attend the show. I'd love to talk about Donna in the future.
Speaker 9: Absolutely both do.
Speaker 5: Thank you much.
Speaker 1: Sounds good, Thanks Greg. It's great hearing from hearing from new people with crowds back and a lot of buzz and excitement about at old you right now. It's nice hearing from some some first time or infrequent callers. All right, Uh, let's uh right right before have you here? We got a skype call. I believe if you hear a tone that's you go at state your name and where a you're calling from. Hey, hey, Creig, thanks for calling. Yeah, thanks for holding. We're going long here, but an exciting night. What do you think of dynamite tonight?
Speaker 5: I'll make it very quick. Sure, I got another one.
Speaker 12: That's the macro question.
Speaker 30: I'll just say for the wig Keller outline.
Speaker 31: The they had three new songs play tonight.
Speaker 13: Uh.
Speaker 31: They had the space Jam song.
Speaker 6: They had the.
Speaker 5: Uh damn it. I had this already in my head.
Speaker 31: They had the uh, they had the uh, but the nick Gage song.
Speaker 6: Oh oh.
Speaker 31: Also they had the well there was another one. I can't remember it, but there were. They had two new songs and then the nick Gage songs. They introduced tonight, which wasn't for whom the belt Holes, like Rich predicted, might happen on everything. I'm wondering if since they had like something that mirrored or sounded kind of like for whom the belt Holes, if they have plans for him in the future on a w and I'll hang up and listen and let Greg get to bed, because you know, you guys got things to do.
Speaker 1: Yeah, all right, all right, thanks Greg? Yeah, Greg, your thoughts on on Craig's music question.
Speaker 4: Well, Tony Kahn seems to be a big music fan, and he doesn't seem to mind doling out money for right, so I'm sure it costs a lot more or to buy music to use in perpetuity than it does to buy a song to play once. So you know, he may just have wanted that for this episode of Dynamite and paid a little bit or whatever it takes to rent it. I don't know all the mechanics of buying songs to use, or buying the rights to music to use, or anything like that, but I don't think to me that signals one way or the other. Nick Age's future in aw.
Speaker 1: All right, in the interest of Oh, Craig, did you want to follow it? Or I couldn't tell?
Speaker 5: I'm good?
Speaker 1: All right, cool, cool, Thanks Greg? Thanks yes everyone.
Speaker 10: Go.
Speaker 1: Vip iPhone users. If you're listening to us on the Native podcast app on your iPhone, you can unlock our commercial free versions of our free shows by searching PW Torch in Apple Podcasts. You'll see a charcoal grade logo that says PW Torch vip on it. Click on that there's some free samples of VIP shows, and you can unlock the entire VIP lineup, which include it's VIP exclusives plus commercial free versions of the free shows by searching pw Torch in Apple Podcasts and clicking on the pw Torch VIP logo and then activate your three day free trial and after that you can become a VIP member using your Apple account. It's that easy. Enjoy a streamline listening experience to our free shows and unlock all the VIP exclusives, including our post pay per view roundtables, the wad Keller news bulletins, Everything with Rich and Wade, The Fix that I host with Todd Martin, and a variety of other VIP exclusives. Just search pw Torch in your Apple podcast app. All right, cool, I'm gonna try Jay one more time. Here, see if you woke up, because I'm just curious. You know, he holds for over two hours. Jay, you're there, all right?
Speaker 5: Your battery here read?
Speaker 1: Oh okay, I's going to say your batteries lasting quite a long time. Well, I'm glad I tried again, because my gosh, if you've held on a long time. By the way, Javier, you are next, nobody else call in, We've gone long enough? Go ahead, Jay, would you think of dynamite?
Speaker 10: So that?
Speaker 5: Oh man, thanks trying to get sorry mister the first time. So yeah, I'll make it quick. Uh something that that I don't think we touched on tonight Justin Roberts right, So, I mean I enjoyed the show, and I enjoyed Justin Roberts most of the time, but his his ring announcements sometimes and it caught my extension. First with Lance Archer, uh he announced you know, uh where he's from, and his his uh, you know, his weight, and then he's like and he's the i w g P United States Heavyweight and the raining defending, and it just it felt like it was going and then of course murder Hawk it was going on, and I'm thinking why this ring announcement seemed so long to me? And so and he should have a nickname, right, you know. It was a championship match, but just having the whole raining and the mean thing, it just felt like maybe you save that for special title matches or for big main events. It just felt a bit weird, and so it had me wondering about Justin Roberts style overall, and you know he does hold John and Moxley and just the way, you know, is it just that he works with certain superstars and they come up with things. I know, the guys in AW seem to have more freedom or maybe more input I guess into too their their character development and storylines. But is there or do we know if Tony Kahan has some some input into how Justin Roberts, you know, announced these superstars. Sometimes it can just be a bit much. It's kind of what I'm getting at. And it jumped out to me with Land Archer, and then when we got to the Jericho Nick Gags match with Jericho, he had like three like nicknames. He's the Japanese Terror or something, and then something else and then the Painmaker and then and I'm like, what is going on? And you guys touched a little bit on we don't know what the future of Nick Gage is. But tying into what I'm saying about the ring announcing, he said that may have been the longest one, the introduction for Nick Gauge. And I'm not familiar with him. I know the name, but I've never seen a Nick Gage match before tonight, and they his introduction was. It made him seem like a big deal the way Justin Roberts talked about is this and that, this and that King of the death Match. And then immediately after Justin Roberts like got Gauge out of his mouth, mgf's music came on and they didn't give and I'm like, well, there goes that they're not doing anything with this guy. They didn't do. I didn't get a chance to to you know, to let that okain and go okay, so this is an e Gauge Like Jessin Robers talked him up and then it was like, okay, but he doesn't really need anything here comes in jail. I felt like the MJS introduction should have been prior to both Zercle and Mick Gauge. You know, okay, he'sa for commentary. Now let's get the stars out here. So I took that to me they're not doing much much with Nick Gage. He's just here for tonight.
Speaker 1: So j J, you know, Jay, what'd you think of what you think of Neck Gauge? I mean, like not, you know, not having seen him before, did he impress you should ably sign him? Did it seem like, you know, I'll stick to the niche indie scene where you know, you have that audience that just is all into what you're doing.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I hope this doesn't come across it, but I go with the ladder stick to the niche indie scene. Yeah, you know, bring him in now and then. It was a good match, but it was a bit much at times. You know, it's not something i'd look to see. I'd care to see, you know, weekly or even monthly or what have you. And I don't know, And I think maybe Greg spoke to it. I don't know that he I don't know his skill level outside of it. Yeah, you know, he doesn't come across as being able to do a lot more So, what do you do with.
Speaker 7: A guy like that?
Speaker 5: You can't do that match every night? So yeah, I think, you know, maybe an apparance now and then or something.
Speaker 1: But yeah, so Greg, my question to you is, do you think Nick Gage fans are going to be disappointed that he sold out to mainbeter ECW wrestlers. You know what chance you sold out? Did he sell out by going under the bright lights in Charlotte and doing a job to Chris Jericho? Yes, he kicked out at three point two and got to get a bunch of hardcore stuff in and Jericho, you know, brought the Painmaker, and Jericho's a legend. So it's not like you did a job to like, you know, Baron Corbin or something. But nevertheless, does this hurt his brand or does does this just make him more of a start because he brought his his brand in flavor of hardcore to a huge audience of a you know, probably one point one point four million people once this show has played itself out over seven days on table alone, not to mention social media and YouTube.
Speaker 4: I think the people who like and are really invested in Nick Gage see this is an opportunity for him. I don't see a lot of the people who like him seeing this as selling out. I think that they genuinely care about as strange as this sounds, they genuinely care about Nick Gauge as a human being and like that he's gotten this opportunity to break through. They'll cheer him on the indies, but they also want success for him, whatever that looks like in professional wrestling. And you know, it's hard not to call what we saw tonight a success for Nick Gage, given what he's overcome and given the obstacles that he's gone through in both his life and is in professional wrestling. So no, I don't sense that feeling, you know, in the last week since this announcement was made, and even in the aftermath tonight, I don't get the sense that anyone is really holding a grudge. I think that thinking of selling out I think that's largely gone by the wayside in professional wrestling, especially on the indies.
Speaker 1: Jay, anything else you want to add before him about ill you don't have to really.
Speaker 5: Going to detail. Was about to say, I'm excited about the punk Brian rumors, you know, and I've never purchased an ew pay per view, but if they were to tell me that Brian's going to be wrestling on one day, to have my money right away. So I'll leave it at that. Cool.
Speaker 1: Thanks Jay, thanks for listening and calling.
Speaker 5: Thanks for taking my call.
Speaker 1: You bet.
Speaker 5: How are you guys?
Speaker 32: Searching for more great pro wrestling talk? Then join me. Jason Powell host them the three weekly Pro Wrestling Boom podcast. Each week you'll hear the latest news and analysis for me and my team at Pro Wrestling Dott Need, along with other pro wrestling media members, plus the Pro Wrestling Boom podcast features long form interviews with no names in the pro wrestling industry. Subscribe and iTunes, Stitcher, Downcast, and all your favorite secondary apps, or visit us directly at PW boom dot com. Once again, that's PW boom dot com.
Speaker 1: All right, so we've run a long We'll just cut off the show there. Sorry to know, I'm kidding. I just wanted hoviers Hard to skip a beat. Appeal your Torch VP podcaster, your Torch contributor, Javier here to back clean up. I guess although the bases might be clear and the fans might have left, Avier, what have you got for us? How are you doing?
Speaker 12: How am I doing? After that Monday?
Speaker 30: Yes, nothing is beautiful and nothing is beautiful and everything tastes like ash.
Speaker 1: So, by the way, you missed an opportunity. I don't want you to feel bad, but you could have snored and it would have been a perfect punchline.
Speaker 30: You know what, with all long this has gone, I would have probably just were probably been better, just you know, like, Okay, well, I guess what's it?
Speaker 1: Yeah? No, this is I mean, I'm having a good time. I'm I'm enjoying talking about this.
Speaker 7: Show.
Speaker 1: There's so much every it's like crazy, like this last like forty minutes, we brought up stuff we wouldn't have gotten to if we didn't go along. It's just one of those shows, and it's an exciting time with so many people at the show and in the building who are calling us. So yeah, I mean, I'm fine, but I feel you know, I feel bad for people who are sitting on hold and for a super long time.
Speaker 30: Well, and I'm amazed that nobodys brought up the best line of the night.
Speaker 12: Only two things motivate me.
Speaker 30: Only two things motivate me in my life, eventful God and wife.
Speaker 1: Yes, although I think the only reason maybe that wasn't is he said something super similar to that, like, you know, two three weeks ago, So I popped for it then and this felt slightly recycled, but it's it's mirror. Mirror is wonderful right now.
Speaker 30: It was the addition to vengeful to vengeful God.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, that was the that was what that was what popped. That's what what what.
Speaker 1: Got me to pause. Oh gotcha, okay, but yeah.
Speaker 12: You know, you know, because the other part was coming. But yeah, yeah, but yeah, the.
Speaker 30: I mean, I actually went and uh watched the gw C main event with Nick Cage, Uh, Nick Gage versus Mat Cardona, just to see what, you know, because I also had no experience with him, so I wanted to see what was going to happen.
Speaker 5: That crowd was nuts.
Speaker 12: Uh was amazing.
Speaker 1: Did you. I mean there's like videos out there of like fans being interviewed by fan cams afterwards, and my god, they worked up. I if I'm Matt Cardona, I get out of that building quick.
Speaker 30: Oh yeah, yeah, so and that was big. It was so to answer a jay, the introduction that he got was very similar to the introduction that they you know, gave him at uh you know, when they introduced them to the main event.
Speaker 12: So I think that might be kind of a kind of thing.
Speaker 1: Oh and I forgot to mention that too. Howeer I'm glad he brought I'm glad you brought Justin Roberts up again because he wrote about that, and he wrote about this in his book and I've interviewed him on the show about it. He I mean, he really likes to put you know, his signature on ring announcements and if guys are okay with it, and the promoter's okay with it. He really likes to do that. WWE Triple H especially ridiculed him for it, and they want their ring announcers to be professional, let and distinct, but not make themselves part of the show, and Justin makes himself part of the show. He is distinctive. But other ring announcers over the decades have been you know, I mean, I don't know if Howard Finkel went as far as Justin did, but there have been you know, Gary Michael Capetta, did you know, I mean he really I mean, Justin probably is taking it to a new level. But that's what he does. That's what aw hired, and if Tony wants him to tone down, he can ask him to do so and probably be more classic and polite than Triple H was because Triple H just you know, it's kind of the likes to ridicule people and thinks it's funny, but it you know, people leave the room not feeling better about themselves the way he has treated people over the years when it you know, when people like Justin especially, and he wrote about that in his book. So my take on it is, I'm fine either way. You know, I'm fine with a more more basic, streamlined professional ring announcing, and I'm fine with adding some personality. Yeah, like he did with Sena and he does it with Moxley. I've found with that too. I think it's cooling. If Tony wants that as part of the flavor of his show, then Justin is fulfilling it. But if it air, you know, if Tony finds out it irritates people, it's easy. You know, Justin can tone it down, you know, thirty percent and it's not going to hurt the show.
Speaker 4: I think this is one of these things way that sort of we're some fans are indoctrinated with the way WWE has done thing done things because they're the only game in town for the last twenty years, you know, and ring announcers have always been in the background, sort of like referees. So I think, you know, if you ever watch boxing or even m m A, I mean that the announcers are very famous Michael Buffer, Yeah, Jimmy Lennon and guys like that. So and those are announcers announcements for some of those boxers that go forever and hey.
Speaker 1: Greg basketball PA announcers very much have a chance during the stuff that Kenny and the Bucks. We're mocking tonight or attributing to whatever the NBA does, very very justin Roberts like interest.
Speaker 4: Absolutely, So. I think this is just one of those things where, you know, some fans just see how WWE does things, and when it's not that way, it's like a shock to the system and it's sometimes hard to wrap our heads around.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yep, you know that last segment you're just listening to and the next one that you're waiting to listen to, those can be one second apart. With a VP membership, you can unlock our commercial free versions of our shows. Pw torch dot com slash go vip tells you how to do it. That's pw torch dot com slash Go VIP options exist within the Apple podcast app using your Apple account through Patreon, which, by the way, you can sync up with Spotify or just about any iOS or Android app. With a full VIP membership, you can customize the feed for individual shows and clusters of shows and themes. Go to pw torch dot com slash go vip for full details on all the options to listen commercial free and with upper tier options unlock our VIP exclusive podcasts run throughout the week every week. H right, Howber yeah back too.
Speaker 12: Yeah.
Speaker 30: So after watching the two matches, it's not my style. I mean, I really like bloody matches, but I like it when the wrestling moves lead to the blood letting as opposed to the blood letting being the wrestling moves.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know what I mean, that's my category too. Yeah.
Speaker 12: Yeah, so I'm fine watching it like once a decade.
Speaker 30: But but but yeah, so it was But in terms of like what it meant for Jericho going through that, that.
Speaker 5: Was a good I liked it for that reason, for the overall.
Speaker 12: Story they're telling with the five Labors of Jericho.
Speaker 30: Yeah, and with him now going up against Hubin too, you know, when him bring out the Painmaker version of himself and now next going up against hub and Thune. Do you think that this might mean that he comes out as the Lionheart and this be like you know, and the rest of the labors be like a different, different era of Jericho.
Speaker 1: I'd be cool if they do that. I mean, I like that idea. Greg, what do you think that.
Speaker 4: Would be interesting? And I think that would fuel a lot of retirement rumors for Jericho if they're not already out there going through these five labors and eventually, you know, perhaps losing d M JFF and the finale. I don't know what retirement looks like for Chris Jericho, but you know a lot of people are saying he slowed down a bit in the ring with aw being sort of premium on entering work and things like that. You wonder how much longer he wants to run a full time schedule. Everything else he's going got going on professional length for him. But that would certainly be a fun capper to his career because he has had so many different character changes to keep himself relevant over the years, more so than perhaps anyone else in an industry where you know, if you get a spot, you keep this spot, and you keep everything that got you that spot and that character. So you know, there might be some of the things that he did in WWE that he might not be able to do, whether it's you know, the list version of Jericho or you know this that he could probably do the suit wearing Jericho, that feud with Shawn Michaels, because I don't know that you can claim, you know, intellectual property on wearing a suit, but that you know that that's sort of an interesting thought, Lion Heart Chris Jericho would I'm now I'm interested to see that and seeing what that would look like in twenty twenty one.
Speaker 1: Yeah, go ahead, ho, youre right, Well, all I have to do is hit that one last moon.
Speaker 12: Salt yeah, uh so, uh yeah. And and since it's come up like twice and Greg you kind of.
Speaker 5: Talked a little bit about it already, but since it's.
Speaker 30: Come out twice in the both the Labors of Jericho, since they've been noticed qualification matches. The point is not to for for MGF. If you think about if you think from the point of view of the of the villain, the point for MGF is not to just get out of the match. There's the re that's the reason why he has the five Labors of Jericho. It's to stretch the pain out as long as possible and then you know, snatch it at you know, because because the for for m Jeff will get off more like if he snatches away his you know, Jericho at the last possible moment, give him that last little bit of hope and take it away in the fifth match. That's why there's no reason for him to interfere is because if Jericho went, it's a win win situation for.
Speaker 8: For m j F.
Speaker 30: If if Jericho loses, well, he didn't have to face Jericho. If Jericho wins, well he gets torture him one more time.
Speaker 4: So classic movie villain you know, theory on things for from the point of view of m j F. And it always works in the movie. So I'm sure it'll work for m j F two.
Speaker 12: Yeah, and I'm that the the the which that was her name, uh Page losing in the uh in the opening, that that really like, I have no idea where they're gonna go from here.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 30: I did go back and watch the promo because I also came out with its.
Speaker 1: It was weird.
Speaker 30: It was weird like how uh Omega said it because he said, you know, if if you lose, you lose your your your your your opportunity to challenge me. So I don't know if this was essentially a you know, elimination kind of thing where he can't, uh, he can't challenge him after all. But because I was thinking that, you know, okay, Hangman Page wins, he wins the title off Kenny, that's you know, Hangman Page is a crowning you know, crowning moment, and then uh, while he fused with whoever can challenge from the title, Uh omit excuse me, Omega can confude with either Danielle Bryan or Sam Pung and that that'd be another big, big story. But like one of the callers, you know, and then I kind of redunk rethunk that because one of the callers, you know, brought up the the you know that that that would basically bigfoot the championship. Because if you have a storyline where its Hangman Page challenging pretty much anybody versus uh Omega and seeing Punk, Omega seeing Punk is gonna be your a story and that's gonna, you know, make your your title the second story. And and and they're very they're careful enough with the with the title that I don't think they'd want to do that.
Speaker 1: It would be justice a pivot. It'd be justice for Punk to be in non title matches that are big footing Hangman Page title run though, give him. That's what happened to him during his run. Yeah, it's the Punk Revenge Tour.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm gonna make more money than you people do all year.
Speaker 30: I mean, so if I'm wrong about it being elimination because I mean, again, that's what I felt like. But if it's not elimination, and that and the pay.
Speaker 12: Per view ends up being Hangman Page.
Speaker 30: And because you know, if you got both of them, then you could have Omega wrestle uh Daniel Bryan and you know Punk Wrestle Hangman Page. Uh so you know, in a more heelish And that's the thing. It doesn't necessarily need to be a heel versus heel or sorry, heel versus face. You could have you know, two heels, and just the fan are gonna go nuts because.
Speaker 12: They're gonna be this is awesome, both these guys.
Speaker 30: And and I'm sure that seam Punk can you know, do stuff too, probably make it, you know, so that you want Hangman Page.
Speaker 4: To win more than him.
Speaker 30: So but yeah, it's just it's interesting times that we're and and yeah, after what after they announced rampage and the carrowd chanting and everything they've said, I'm almost kind of half hoping that on the previous rampas will say, uh, you know, you know, make sure you come in next you know, next week, uh for because we have a huge signing. And then the huge signing is a bronze runner.
Speaker 1: They shouldn't. They shouldn't, don't, don't get too cute. Just just make money, just print money.
Speaker 30: Yes, yeah, but but seriously, if it's not saying punk at this point, I mean, I don't, it's gotta be. I mean there, there's there's like no way cannot be because you know, they've sign posted it so much and you know, so at this point it's and and you're and.
Speaker 5: You're right if they could.
Speaker 30: Just not officially announce it, because I think it's more fun and you know, if you just tease it until and then let let it, you know, until he appears and be the moment that you know that, I think that you get more of an emotional reaction from the crowd that way, then, you know, if you like the week before, unless, like you said, the tickets are you know, not there because people are not really one hundred percent sure and they're not going to buy their tickets until they're a hundredercent sure. But I'm pretty sure there they'll you know, I'm pretty sure that that'll be a sold out building.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I I don't know if it's going to be a sold out building, but I didn't know if fall In was going to sell out, and it's sold out, and it sold out quickly, So I mean until they underperform, you know, but that's a big bill, and you know, but obviously they sold their ten thousand seats for all In and they've only gotten bigger and Punk's been away for a long time. I mean, I would put my money on a sellout, but I don't want to take away the sense that it would be an achievement by acting like if they don't do it, it's a letdown, because if they sell you know, thirteen thousand tickets or fourteen thousand tickets in Chicago and it's not WWE, I don't know. I guess that would be disappointing. It's hard. What do you think, Greg, Is it just by definition of disappointment if they don't sell out, whether or not they announce Punk officially overtly, I.
Speaker 4: Don't think so. I think if they don't sell out, they'll get darn clothes. Yeah, but you know, like you said, thirteen fourteen thousands something to sneeze ass for Chicago for you know, an episode of their secondary TV show. I think it's really showing the power that the aw has and the draw that that its roster has, and I don't think that's I don't think not selling out given the size of the building. If it's a smaller building, sure, but given the size of the building, I don't think not selling it out is a mark against them.
Speaker 1: Yep.
Speaker 12: Well yeah, And I'm and obviously that that.
Speaker 30: Is setting aside any COVID issues that there might be, and I say a lot of I'm also referring.
Speaker 12: To a w B styles all up.
Speaker 30: Yeah, like, you know, good ticket sales, but maybe one section cord now for whatever you know, quote unquote reason.
Speaker 12: But you know, you know, it's still the general the gist of it.
Speaker 1: And they're not gonna go I doubt they're going to gouge on prices. You know that's gonna they're gonna if you know, I haven't seen a pricing chart anything, but my ounj is they're gonna price it to sell it out and not price it to gouge the first you know, five thousand people or three thousand people. So this is gonna be and maybe I'll be wrong by next week. I haven't looked, but I think this is gonna be a show that's for the fans to experience something special without breaking the bank, and that's ben I think something that a wing that w is not doing.
Speaker 33: Need an extra dose of positivity in your wrestling podcasts. Will come join me Alan frel Over in the Progress Paradise at Pterboo Torch VIP as we mask on the bright side of wrestling and focus on some of the great matches and shows from around the world, be it the US, Japan, Europe or Mexico.
Speaker 1: There's always a.
Speaker 33: Place for wrestlings past in the Paradise too, and we've done fun historical shows such as the We Love Liger series celebrating the glorious career of Jusian Thunderliger and our eye was there when shows where our guests will join me to talk about a classic bout that they were in attendance for. We love variety and you can expect lots of it at the Progress Paradise. Detailed pwof Torch VIP subscription information and a list of all the VIP benefits is available at pterwrew torch vipinfo dot com. And yes, all VIP podcasts are compatible with popular podcast apps on iPhone and Android device, or you can stream them directly from her ad free VIP mobile size see you in the Paradise.
Speaker 30: But I actually just remember I did with something else up up on the brit Baker saying, I think they might end up keeping her keelish just because the top five women are thunder Rosa, Taikandi, uh christ Ra Atlander, cower.
Speaker 12: Sheet on red velvet and it's five.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 30: So, and and I think the whole point of of I don't.
Speaker 1: Want to be a baby face, you know, I mean that's a it's a conund room. I mean it's not it's not that big. Yeah. Yeah, I agree with that. That's true. And maybe that's and maybe they can make britt a heel again because of thunder Rosa, and that will lead to a better situation with the follow up opponents. We'll see.
Speaker 12: Yeah yeah uh so, yeah, that's pretty much what I had so.
Speaker 4: Talking to you, Greg absolutely have here.
Speaker 12: We don't talk enough.
Speaker 4: I'll take that as a hint.
Speaker 1: Ah, there you go. Yes, all right, thanks check out how Here's yeah, thanks check out ho Here's new Japan Pride podcast on Peter B Torch v I P podcast lineup. We've got some down in my emails. I'm gonna read them tomorrow on the flight Ship with Kelly Wells from the Peter B. E t Talks NXT show. We Uh, we've gone long enough, Greg, and we will h save those emails for when I'm fresher and uh and we haven't talked for you know, well over two and a half hours on this, Greg. Just tell people how they can subscribe to your show and uh your contributions to the Torch.
Speaker 4: Sure Wrestling Night in America Sunday nights, usually at eight pm Eastern with a co host, UH had heavier on. I'll have Tom Stoup on this week, who is uh part of the PWEC Talks NXT crew with Kelly Wells, who'll be talking to you this week, and we'll break down all the other shows. But we're not going to talk about dynamite.
Speaker 1: I talked, he talked enough to talk about dynamite.
Speaker 4: Don't call in asking about dynamite.
Speaker 1: There, you've got your you've got your fan based Greg. You know it's not a Harbor show.
Speaker 4: That that's true, you know.
Speaker 1: As a teaser for the mailbank tomorrow, though, we do have an email from Sean who says, just when you think you've seen it all, don callus in short shorts. He says, I work in a medical facility, and I'm paraphrasing. He said it's the worst thing. That was the worst, most worst thing. So we got that. Somebody else emailed and said they hated the main event. So yeah, we got some fun some funny meals you can You can, by the way, contribute to the flagship Wade Keller podcast at pw torch dot com. Send in your questions and comments for Kelly and Me to respond to tomorrow.
Speaker 4: Yes, Greg and we didn't talk about thunder Rose versus Julia Hart, So if you want to call in or email me about that man show, I'll be happy to talk about that with you on Sunday. You can Collins the live shown call in talk to me and Tom. You can email w n I a live cast at gmail dot com. We get through all our emails in the show, so always lout hearing from new emailers and new callers. As Wade said at the top of the show, talk about the big shows and pro wrestling, So we'll definitely have Summer Slam to talk about coming up and some of the other big WWE shows and that Sunday night, and you can also find my full page column almost each and every week. I can't say each and every week because on vacation, I didn't write one this past week, so there won't be one coming up, but almost each and every week in the Tortures let our full page column on whatever pops into my head for that week, So always have that in a Torch news letter. And yeah, you can follow me on Twitter at Greg M Parks as well. I try to tweet during the big shows pro wrestling, whether it's Raw, SmackDown and Dynamite, and love interacting with fans there, so make sure to give me a follow.
Speaker 1: Awesome follow me on Twitter at the Wade Keller. Follow our brand at p W Torch. Thanks to our four on site correspondence, all our callers, thanks to our emailers, for your patients, for us to get to it on the flagship on Thursday, and thanks to all our listeners. Really appreciate your support. Give us a five star rating or whatever podcast app you listen to this show on. If you think we're not worthy of five stars, let me know why instead of bringing our average down, send me an email and we'll try to address that for you. And as everybody said, go VIP and the ads go away, and you support us and what we do in an even better way than what you're already doing by downloading the show. If you're one of the three listeners, Thanks so much, Craig. I don't know if you knew what you signed up for when you're agreed to be here, but welcome back from your vacation and we will talk to you soon, right back into the fire.
Speaker 4: Wouldn't have it any other way.
Speaker 1: Thanks great things. Your time is valuable. Go VIP and listen to our show's commercial free a nice streamline listening experience. Pwtorch dot com slash go vip for full details on a commercial free listening experience, and with a full VIP membership, you can create custom feeds for individual shows or groups of shows by theme, and also unlock nearly four decades of archives and access our ad free website with VIP exclusive content. Pw torch dot com slash go vip. Your time is valuable, and that's one of the reasons we offer VIP membership. Pw torch dot com slash go vip. You can participate in the Wadkeller Pro Wrestling podcast by emailing your question or topic to Weadkeller Podcast at gmail dot com. You can also participate in the way Keller post shows by emailing Weadkellerpost Show at gmail dot com during or write after Raw Dynamite or Smackdowe. Let your voice, let your opinions be heard on our shows via email. Weightkeller Podcast at gmail dot com for the flagship and Wadkeller Post Show at gmail dot com for our post shows. It's next level coverage that you come to expect from the PW Torch brand. No AI, no rookie perspectives, no unfounded rumors, no clickbait, no deceptive headlines, just high quality writing, breaking news and fascinating flashbacks every day at pw torch dot com. Pull yourself away from the vacuous social media experience that I know many of you regret once you get lost in it for minutes, if not hours at a time, and settle in for high quality PW Torch branded wrestling coverage. Admit it. You love Nick Barbatty when he co hosts with me on the Wadekeller Post shows. Well, now you can listen to him every week on the Nicky's Club, a VIP exclusive podcast. Here's Nick to tell you more.
Speaker 29: Hey wrestling fans, it's Nick Barbatty and I'm back with the Nicky's Club, the place where the family of Nicky's comes together for big laughs and sharp takes on WWE for WrestleMania rumors, to surprise returns. I got you covered. The Nicky's Club, where the wrestling feels like the coolest club in town.
Speaker 1: Nick Barbatty wants to be part of your pro wrestling life every week, so why not let him go vip PW torch dot com slash go vip for full details on signing up. We're compatible with Patreons, Spotify, Apple podcasts, and just about any other iOS or Android app out there. You also stream directly from our ad free VIP website, The Nicky's Club waiting for you every week at PW Torch vip. Did you know that you can enjoy commercial free versions of all of your favorite weight color podcasts in PW torch daily casts on Spotify. Just go to patreon dot com search PW tory and subscribe to a VIP membership tier. You get a seven day free trial, by the way, to kick the tires a bit and see if you like the service and then sync it with Spotify and you can listen to commercial free versions of our free shows like the Waykeller Post shows, the Weaykeller Podcast, Flagship, our Flashbacks, and also the pw Torch Day The cast lineup again all commercial free and nice streamline listening experience, but with third tier membership, you can also unlock all the VIP podcasts, including Everything with Rich and Wade, to Fix with Todd Martin that I host with Todd every week, the wad Keller News bulletins, post pay per view roundtables, and an array of other VIP exclusive podcasts with different hosts and different themes. Check out the lineup, go to Patreon and search pw Torch and subscribe and sync it up with Spotify or stay within the Patreon ecosystem. Either way works. Go to Patreon and start your seven day free trial. If you're listening to us on the Apple podcast app, on Spotify, or any other app that allows you to rate our podcast, please take a moment to give us a five star rating. It really helps us in the algorithm and helps them know that you recommend us to others. Just look for a place to rate the show on Spotify and Apple podcasts or wherever you're listening to our shows, and please click that five star rating, and of course thank you so much for listening. A PWE Torch VIP membership doesn't just give you ad free access to these shows and a ton of other VIP exclusive podcasts throughout the week, but you also gain access to our unmatched vast library of wrestling history, our contemporaneous week to week coverage through our progressing Torch weekly newsletters dating back to the late nineteen eighties, along with streaming and download access to hundreds of retro radio shows from the nineteen nineties, including some of my interviews with wrestling's top newsmakers in the nineties, and also our podcast library dating back to the year two thousand and three. There's no larger, longer spanning pro wrestling podcast library than that that comes with a PW Torch VIP membership. Now approaching twenty years of podcasting, Go vip and dive into our post pay per view roundtables are covered with some of your favorite eras of wrestling, top name long form interviews, and special format podcast that we've done throughout the years. PW Torch dot com slash go vip we have a streamline sign up for me and you can pay with PayPal or directly with your credit card or debit card. In one or two minutes from right now, you can be a VIP member and diving into our library. Pw torch dot com slash go VIP