Speaker 1: It's Nights with Dan Ray. I'm don you easy, Boston News Radio.
Speaker 2: Well, thanks a lot, I appreciate it. We are going to talk some movies here coming up. Can't wait. You guys know I love this stuff. Boston Globe film critic Odie Henderson. I have to say quickly. I mean, and now I may have mentioned it. I was watching the highlights on TV as the Celtic came back and beat the Bucks one eleven to one oh five, and I thought the Celts were in trouble but outscored him sixteen to six in the final six minutes. And the Celtic team is something else. Okay again, joining us right now from the Boston Globe, Odie Henderson, Odie, thanks for coming on.
Speaker 3: Thanks for having me.
Speaker 2: Okay, So holiday movies and we're gonna start with that, but I've been I gotta get your thoughts on some other stuff coming up. But the one thing I wonder, how come recently recently and I haven't seen Red One yet with the Rock and Sudbury Masterson, Chris Evans. How come there are no recent great holiday movies? Or am I wrong?
Speaker 3: Well? You know Red One would have been better if it had less action in it. There's a really good JK. Simmons performance that he Santa Claus and the rock is fun when he's being exasperated. I think Chris Evans, Chris Evans is the weak link in the movie, but it's not very good. I think because there's a glut of a holiday movie, you know, and they have a brand now, we have the Hallmark movie has a lifetime movie now necess of getting involved with Hot Boston and a bunch of Ruther movies, we all hit a certain cratertieria and that criterteria isn't good. So that's probably why we also, you know, are for a specific audience. But my mom likes to watch them, and I know a lot of peage girls like to watch them as well. I'm not saying it is all just a girl, but it seems to be that that's the case. They all have this cookie cutter of things. Earlier movies seems to have have more flock, a different variety of plots, and then the current ones too because if you look at it, I said in my review of Hot Frosty, it was just the pornographic movie plots. When he took all the sets stilled in the spot for ninety minutes and it basically is what these movies turned out to be. So they're not for me, but they're now the market.
Speaker 2: So oh, I mean, Odie, they're on in my house all the time. Are you talking about Hallmark right?
Speaker 3: Yes?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean they're on in my house all the time. My wife. Listen, my wife works her tail off. She works very hard during the weekend. She just likes to have they're brainless. We all know what's going to happen. The best thing about Hallmark movies right now is the parodies that are on social media. The parodies are hilarious. You know, woman returns from the big city, sees the old boyfriend running the inn. They fall in love. She stays, well, she go blah blah blah. But there's definitely a market for it. But I agree, they're not for me. But like my wife, they're just brain candy. I mean, she just you know it's there. But this brings me to another point is that you know, like you mentioned like Planes, Trains and Automobiles, which is a Thanksgiving movie, or you can go to the Santa Claus or you go to a vacation Christmas vacation. Those are all comedies. People don't know how to write a comedic movie anymore.
Speaker 3: They don't. And there have been some funny movies that have been up, you know, over the past couple of years, but it seems like the market for that has gone down. You know, it's hard to get a good comedy. Maybe there were some good comedies that were out that were slightly launcher than maybe something that we families feel friendly, but they're they're out there. The problem is that they can barely get you know, a theater right right right on Netflix or something like that, and they get lost because of.
Speaker 2: What is a good comedy film, not series film that you've seen.
Speaker 3: A good comedy lost. Wow, I think about.
Speaker 2: That, well, I tell you, I thought I thought Knives out.
Speaker 3: There's more of a mystery than a comedy. I'm thinking of something that's straight and broad, you know that that's a good comedy, like the the Jennifer Lawrence comedy that he's done last year. I thought that was pretty funny. But again it's this is not this. I'm trying to think of something family friendly.
Speaker 2: Right right, right right, Yeah, it's not happening. I think it's been replaced by Instagram and TikTok.
Speaker 3: I suppose that there may be some truth to that.
Speaker 2: Which totally bums me out. I mean completely bums me out. So so as far as let's let's and we all know the good ones, but let's start with like, what is the worst Holiday movie that you've ever seen?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 3: Well, that's see he scrooged Bill Murray.
Speaker 2: Yeah that's right, I mean, and I love Murray's great Yeah, I I I hear you that they missed on that one.
Speaker 3: That's great in that Carrol Kane is very, very funny in that. But the movie is except with the distance and then at the end where you know, Bill Murray breaks the fourth wall. I was talking to the audience, but that's when I was just like, I wanted to get up the league. Yeah, thirty eight eighty eight West at time. Wow, I just did not like that. Obvious that made my least favorite Christmas movie. But I could think of the top of my head that that is that is loved by a lot of people. So I'm gonna get in trouble.
Speaker 2: Have you ever seen And when I watched this, my wife was like, what are you watching? I think it is so over the top and it's it was on. I think it was a Netflix movie at first, and it did so well. I think it went into the theaters and it was called Violent Night with David Harbor.
Speaker 3: Oh right, Yeah, David Harbor was kind of the ban of My Assistance a little while and all these very bad movies. He was a ghost of the earnest movie he was. I mean, that wasn't bad. I thought that was kind of amusing. I think it was particularly good, but it was better than I was expecting it.
Speaker 2: Well here it is. It's way over the top and might I mean, okay, so just in case anybody doesn't know what we're talking about, you should check it out. Here's David Harvey plays Santa Claus and he goes and he you know, he shows up and John Leguizamo is playing the bad guy who has taking a family hostage because they have a lot of money and avoulved. So then Santa Claus turns into a combination of like Jackie Chan and Bruce Willis and starts blowing I mean the one part where he ties that guy up in the middle of the lawn with Christmas lights and then blows him up with a grenade, and he's Santa Claus and I was watching it and I was like, I don't know whether to laugh or be appalled. But that movie did really well. It did.
Speaker 3: It did really well, which if you think about it, forty years ago, nine to eighty four, in fact, there was a movie called Stara Knight Badley Night. In fact, Cisco Neebe is an entire show like ambassying the people who made it. And it was a movie where standa class had acted. He was chopping up everybody. Oh, they showed a commercial. Never forget this. My sister was traumatized by this commercial. Stanta Claus chopping down the door, done this commercial to get whoever was behind it. And they actually pulled the commercial from the air because it was traumatizing kids. And now you got Violent Knight where Stanta Claus is the good guy because he wasn't really Stanta Claus because the maniac and this movie actually is Santa Claus and he's blowing people up, and you know he belongs on Annoysies.
Speaker 2: So times have changed, well, there's no doubt about that. And I think that the comedies or you know, I think it's almost like the comedies and dramas. It's like a commit drama. These I think, and I think they're all series, you know. I mean, I mean if you talk to you talk to some people about oh my god, I just succession. So you know, I've talked to some people or even some of the writers on that shore. I've heard them say that there's comedic elements in that, you know, where it's almost combined where you don't have the straight comedy anymore like you would with like a Three's Company or whatever, but you have it's a it's a combination of the two. I mean, even I'm my wife and I are hooked on The Diplomat. Have you watched The Diplomat? It's on Netflix, Dude, you try. You got to watch it. It's worth your time. I'm telling you. It's really smart. It's a TV series and it's really smart. And there's also some comedy mixed in. Watch the first two episodes, Okay, and then I think you're that what's that?
Speaker 3: Who is the star of It's.
Speaker 2: Carrie Russell, who was in Yeah, I've heard of this.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I was thinking about something else. I haven't watched it, but I was in the wrong neighbor in terms of the show.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Well, I mean, look there's a lot going on, you know, I understand that, but she I mean it is and it just had an ending which is like an unbelievable just oh my god. No, I'm not gonna spoil. I don't worry about you. You need to. You need to check it out because it's it's wow, it's it's a ride. Uh.
Speaker 3: We're gonna take a quick break before you go in for a south there we're talking about is the real that's uh a Christmas based kind of similar movie, like what which about Thetaclaus is being held for ransom? And it's a it's a I think it's a Dutch movie. Yeah, it's really really good. It's a lot offul.
Speaker 2: It's not for kids, you know, I got it. It's not Charlie Brown's Christmas. It's you know, it's not Rudel's you know, bumbled Boughs. We got more with Odie Henderson talking about holiday movies and all other things. Gary and Beverley, we're gonna put you on too, coming up next, Gary Tang for Dan Rag.
Speaker 1: This is Nightside Now. Back to Dan Ray live from the Window World night Side Studios on WBZ News Radio.
Speaker 2: Okay, talking to holiday movies, TV, just good stuff like we'd like to watch on the screen. That's a Odie Henderson joining usrom the Boston Globe. Garyan Beverly is a thought. Gary, you're up on WBZ.
Speaker 4: Hey, I don't Gary.
Speaker 2: What's up? Buddy?
Speaker 4: Not too much? See that was as long. That's long enough they had commercially. I feel like it was calling Comcast.
Speaker 2: Yeah, sorry, kid, I know.
Speaker 4: You guys forgo out a important movie, Bob Bill Goldberg. Santa's Slay.
Speaker 2: I don't know what. Oh do you know that one?
Speaker 3: What was it against Dance? Say that's ready? Why at Olberg?
Speaker 4: Well, that's that's gotten the harrifying Gore movie.
Speaker 3: Wow, I tell you a lot. That's what I thought.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, Santa's Slay s l a y oh my god. Yeah, it's a funny comedy. You know, Santa loses a bet and he has to be nice for so many years and then he finally it's over and he's going back to being a bad standswer again or something.
Speaker 3: Oh god, there you go.
Speaker 4: I can't believe if Buddy from the Globe doesn't like Scrooge. Who doesn't like Scrooge? That was a good movie, Bill Bert.
Speaker 3: I'm yeah, I mean it's an awful movie. I think it's incredible spirit and it's one of those things that you know, the Saturday Night Movie, a live movie. Talking about Michael o'donneg you wrote through a Longhow that nasty of a character, that the humor of some of the skits were understand.
Speaker 4: The only the only classic screwge movie I really really like to watch it's a long movie is the one with Albert Finney.
Speaker 3: Not that's actually that was on TV a lot when I was a kid. I like, of course, I mentioned this paper a couple of years ago. I like mister Macgoose, Christ Carroll, and I like the most call the Alistair, the alicea simone which is way but which is like fifty one. I think the Fimmy one is seventy.
Speaker 4: Uh yeah, but yeah, I mean the problem yeah, but see the problem with all these all these Christmas movies right now, the ones you want to show your kids, you get to pay for them. You know, they're on NBC or the CBS or whatever, the full commercials. And over the years they've they've slowly picked on every one of them for racial or anything they could think of. Back in the fifties when the things were made, they could pick on how they were made. Now, you know what I'm saying, And it's pretty pretty bad the way they You know, they just traumatized all the old classics. You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 3: I missed Whinney had all the specials on for free, I mean TVs and pre form I think due. I spo a year without a Stanta Claus, one of those ranking bass that I grew up watching, was on the other day. And they always have these twenty four hours a Christmas Stories. They're talking about Christmas movies. They always do that every year, the twenty four hours of a Christmas Story, and they alst the twenty four hours of national influence. Christmas Vacation the only good vacation movie.
Speaker 4: Can I get sick of watch of the repeats? You know I'm saying, all.
Speaker 2: Right, Gary, thanks for the body. We appreciate it. I get our guest here is Odie Henderson or the Boston Globe. All right, so here's a question. Is Die Hard a holiday movie?
Speaker 3: Oh God, I had this argument the other day with somebody at a bar heard, Oh, they're just getting me in trouble. Oh de here die heard is not a Christmas movie. Christmas. It is not a Christmas movie. How it takes face for Christmas Eve that has very little to do with Christmas and going to a Christmas party that's the only tide of Christmas or whatever, so that it takes place on Chris. I love Diehard, don't get me wrong, love die Hard. I watched it the other day, but to me, it's not a Christmas but they always show it here, been that on Christmas Eve here and in New York. And I actually went one night Christmas to see die Hard and been knight. Uh, it's not a christ And I don't know. People are used me about that, but until you actually proved to me that there is a Christmas message of any regard in die Hard.
Speaker 2: Yes, odios in die Hard too, yippie kaye.
Speaker 3: Well, and he says that in every single one of them.
Speaker 2: Did he say that the first one too?
Speaker 3: Yes, that's where it came from the first movie.
Speaker 2: I forgot about.
Speaker 3: Remember Alan Rickman's character, He's he said, he calls him cowboy and who it says, mister Falcon, which is the cleaned up verse they would do on television, which just Larry right, right, right.
Speaker 2: Right right right right by the way. Who's you know, we had this to talk the other day. Who's a better villain than Alan Rickman? So good?
Speaker 3: Oh, he is so good in that movie. It's so wonderful. He was in a movie that's completely difficult, truly madly deep, that I love very much, and he made before. I believe he made die Hard. I think the year before. It's one of my favorite movies of his. But yeah, he gives good villain and so that all's in there good enough. Who people keep forgetting, you know the ballet answer, who is pretty much the last person to get shot and die off? But boy, I'll tell you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he was a good villain too. I'll tell you The thing about Rickman is I heard an interviewer or something where I mean, obviously he was a Shakespearean trained actor, you know London, you know, stage actor and so forth, and I think he just did the die Hard thing for the money. He just took the cash and then went back to doing Shakespeare someplace. And then obviously we saw what he did with the Harry Potter.
Speaker 3: Movies, right, and you know that's an even galaxy quest.
Speaker 2: Don't forget that I forgot about Galaxy Quest. You're absolutely right.
Speaker 3: I forget they of Galaxy Quest, which is why with him. From the front of my mind, I just thought that they were doing a restoration of it.
Speaker 2: So then Leath of Weapons not a holiday movie either.
Speaker 3: Lethal Weapons came out in January. They step.
Speaker 2: Oh, so it came out in January. But there's okay, all right, So.
Speaker 3: I mean this is a movie that begins with somebody jumping out of a window. I don't I wouldn't considered that a Chrystal movie aint any regards.
Speaker 2: Hey, I want to go back to die Hard, Diehard one or two because I love Diehard too.
Speaker 3: At the Airport, Dinar two is fun with John Amos, says the villain. You know, he's the bigger guy than you realize when you watch him on good Times. Uh, he was fun, but Diehard one is cracked. I mean, Diar two is a good sequel, and then Diehard three is and then the rest of them are just terrible.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I know that the rest were money grabs. Like what was the one where the cab comes out of the tunnel and goes sideways. That was like four I think, I think, yeah, yeah, I mean, he just couldn't turn down the money. Do you know the backstory with Willis becoming the star of die Hard? Was he the first choice? You know?
Speaker 3: I don't think he was the first choice. No, I don't believe he was the first choice. You know, obviously he had it was Dinhard his second movie, his third movie. He had done a movie called Blind Date, which I think it's one of the worst movies ever made. Well, he was with Ian, he was on Moonline. I don't think he was the first choice. And it's interesting because you read the book that Dinhard is based on. It's absolutely awful.
Speaker 2: Real I didn't even know it was based on a book.
Speaker 3: Oh this, and so is Donhard with a Vengeance. I think this first and third one are based on a book by the same author. But it's not like John McClain. They rest They kind of took the book, like maybe the basic plots of it, and he was the SUSA wrote you know, everything else in it, and it's the framework of the book. Yeah, the book is complete. It's awful. I can't imagine I.
Speaker 2: Can't imagine anybody playing John McClain.
Speaker 3: Neither, because he's going well. See the problem I have with Dinhard's too, is that now he's a superhero. And Donard One, you're with him, like you really feel like he's an every man. He's walking around barefoot, pulling glass at his feet. You feel like, even in the most super ridiculous things he was doing in that movie, you never lose sight of that he's just an average Joe. Where Donhard too, he is James.
Speaker 2: Thoms, Yeah, you're right, and he's the reluctant hero in Diehard One, like he does not want to have to do this. It's and you feel that right, but no one else will do it. So he says, well, hell, I gotta.
Speaker 3: Do it right, Toby, I mean, Diard's is again as a classic. By the way, real quick, I'm ashamed of myself. And you're asked you about a comedy of help this year. I can't believe I didn't say hundreds of beavers.
Speaker 2: I haven't even seen it. What is it again?
Speaker 3: Hundreds of beavers? Which I actually made them, let me review it in the paper. Hundreds of beavers. He's on TV now, it's everywhere. It's it's the latest midnight movie. I will call it crazy. It's a black and white, mostly silent movie. Basically, if the Resonant was a Looney Tunes cartoon. Wow, there's a beaver and it's a guy, and everybody that's the beaver is dressed in a mascot call costume and there's like a gag every three seconds and it's it's spectacular. You have to get up really early to make me not know what's happening next to the movie. They can completely like wonder what's coming and going on, And this movie did it for me and it's hilarious.
Speaker 2: Go ahead, I'm sorry. Great to be my daughter, my daughter was watching a movie on TV the other days, to be making a run.
Speaker 3: To be is to be staved my butt when I was writing my book. Because there are movies that are on TV there are nowhere else in the universe. But Toby has its own like series of made for TV movies. So I mean, were you go to was watching? But to be is you know, yes, you'd be surprised, but.
Speaker 2: Well, it was a bad. It was a bad. It was a really bad like love story. I would call it like a really bad like Dawson's Creek, you know, one of those. Like no, it wasn't a series, but it was a maybe it was a series. Or a movie and her and her friends were watching it and it was like that type. But you know, it's something like, you know, fifteen sixteen year old girls watch you know, whether it's you know, like a bad Outer Banks or a bad something, you know, something like that, And I go, what are you watching that?
Speaker 5: Now?
Speaker 2: She goes to be. I went to be. I went, I got, what the hell is that?
Speaker 3: It's free?
Speaker 2: Wow? Well, yeah, dude, you speak in my language. All right, we have to talk about we have to talk about home alone. I also want to talk about, you know, Cloney and Pitt trying to get back together. I got to get back to the Chris Evans thing too on that because I do want to talk about it because I think he's done some good stuff and I'm kind of rooting for him post you know, Captain America. That's all coming up here on w b Z Odie Henderson or the Globe. It was with this movie right back.
Speaker 1: It's night Side with Dan Ray on WBZ Boston's news radio.
Speaker 2: Okay, back here Tucket movies, holiday movies, and just movies and TV in general, with Odie Henderson joining us from the Boston Globe. Okay, a bunch of things now I have to write down because I have so many things running through my head. Home Alone is Home Alone the best Christmas movie ever?
Speaker 3: No, No, Fourth Street's the best Christmas movie ever? In nineteen forty seven.
Speaker 2: Oh wait a minute, wait a minute, Odie, Odie, Odie, I hear you. Miracle at thirty fourth Street, you know, the one with the new one was pretty good too, with the guy from the Practice.
Speaker 3: I don't think I saw that when the Roly roommate I saw was since you're bringing up on Alone was written by John Hughes and had Richard Attenborough, with which that's pretty bad. And then also, don't forget David Hartman good winning Emerica back in the seventies. He did a version of Before She Me movie. So this point you're talking about it, know what, what's this?
Speaker 2: You know it might be the Attinborough you might have made. It might be the Attinborough one that that you don't like it. Oh my god, I just I blinked on his name. For God's sakes, I gotta look it up. But anyways, go ahead, Miracle at thirty fourth Street. You say, that's who played Santa Claus in.
Speaker 3: That one, Edmund Gwyn and He won the Oscar for.
Speaker 2: It Get Out yep, Wow.
Speaker 3: And it also won the Screen Day Oscar.
Speaker 2: No kidding, Well, I can't falter for that one. I mean, that's a great.
Speaker 3: It's a great great screenplays. My favorite Christmas leave but Home Alone eight Christmas movie. It's funny because Chris Columbus directed, and Chris Combus let's have a thing against Christmas because he wrote Grimlins. They said about Christmas movies that are violent. He wrote Gmins, he wrote, he had that part that I think it's hilarious. But the pebe K speach you about why she believe in Santa Claus. He seems to have an in for Chris.
Speaker 2: I've never seen Gremlins, really, I know, and every and everybody, everybody shakes their head when I tell them. I mean, like Robert Producer, he's got it's one of his favorites. I've never seen it. I just haven't, you know.
Speaker 3: I just had more of the other Gremlins too.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Well, I haven't even seen Gremlins one, so I don't know if that's gonna happen.
Speaker 5: Oh.
Speaker 2: Dylan McDermott. Dylan McDermott was in the one that might be the same one you're talking about.
Speaker 3: No, No, that's a different one.
Speaker 2: I thought that was the other one. Okay, you know the one Christmas movie that I thought recently was was decent, but they went to the well too often and Netflix did it, and they did a part too, Kurt Russell and Christmas Chronicles one wasn't terrible?
Speaker 3: Is Kurt Russell Santa Claus? Yeah, I'd be interested in that.
Speaker 4: Well.
Speaker 2: I got to tell you the reason you got to watch it is they it's really good, that the script is pretty creative. And he also does a song in the jailhouse because they throw him in jail. And he also because you know, he loves to do Elvis too. Russell likes to do Elvis, so he doesn't come Don Carpenter.
Speaker 3: He did all he played over John Carpenter.
Speaker 2: You're right, You're right he did. And he also was in what is it three Thousand Miles from grace Land with Costner, which wasn't it should have been a better movie than it was.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I don't think he was gonna save that money.
Speaker 2: But after god, yeah, I mean no, I know, but I remember going to the movies wanting to love that movie, and I was like, oh, damn. And I mean I just heard like Costner had a cut, Russell had a cut. They were fighting him at what you know when it went to crap. But yeah, you know, I thought it was gonna I was really disappointed. But yeah, Christomas Chronicles, folks, check ou out on Netflix. That's what. That one's not terrible. Now. I love Goldie Han, but did she missus clause? And they made a Christmas Chronicles too? And they went to the well once too often? I do, Yeah, they just you know, they went to the will too often. The other one, the other thing I wanted to talk about was Chris Evans because I root for the guy because he's from Sudbury, mass He's a local guy and he's trying to get rid of the Captain America thing and I get that. I saw him and ghosted, which I thought was overdone. You know when people do One of the problems is when you do a comedy and you do like violence and they go over the top, like killing one hundred guys, it kills it. You can't there's only gross point There's only one gross point Blank, which was one of my favorite dark comedies of all time. And you know when you when when you when you next thing, you know, when you know you're blown away, like one hundred guys, you got to just like go the leath weapon route and maybe it would be better. So I didn't think that worked. But I thought he was great in the face ended Jacob, and I thought he was great and gifted. Did you ever see Gifted?
Speaker 3: No, I'm just looking up Ghosted, I said, I reviewed. I reviewed Ghosts. I'm pretty sure I did.
Speaker 2: Yeah, would you think of it?
Speaker 3: It happened, I'd be cool. I'm not liking it, So.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I didn't like it either, and I wanted to. I just thought it was a little it was a little too inside baseball over the top, you know. But like he was, I thought he was great in defending Jacob. The series they shot here in Massachusetts.
Speaker 3: Well, I have a question for you. You just see the movie he directed.
Speaker 2: I didn't. Which one is that?
Speaker 3: It's called Before We Go. Here's the funny thing, you know, I covered Toronto Film Festival. You know, I do it for the Globe, but before I was at the World, I did it for rogerrievery dot com where I used to be a critic at. And it's uh, I saw that Toron'sman. I really really liked it. It's called Before We Go and it's twenty fourteen, I think, or twenty thirteen.
Speaker 2: I did you know what? I did see it? I odie. I did see it, and I loved it.
Speaker 3: It's it's before it's a rip up before sunset, but it takes place in and he and Alice Alice Eve is it. They're both really good and I really enjoyed it. And it disappeared. I didn't know what happened to be. But sometimes you see movies at festivals and they don't get a release, or they get a release a year later, or just they did disappear. So it's a movie I've liked that must of it again, and I had never heard of it any more, but we brought it up before I thought about it. It is the only movie he directed, and then he does a good job. So I don't know why he didn't do any more movies, but he's directed behind the camp. I guess I think Captain America may have dragged him away from that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well it probably did listen to certainly paid the bills, But you know, I just think that I thought he was great and defended Jacob. I thought he was great and gifted. Gifted's good if you could check that out. That's what he plays like an uncle to as a niece nephew that is intellectually gifted like and he has to deal with that. And it's a really good movie. But you're right before we go, what's that?
Speaker 3: He's great in light Year movie out down Hill. I'll dye on that. I think it's a good movie. He's buzzed light Year and light Year.
Speaker 2: Oh, that's right. I didn't see that one. So you know another one where I want. I don't know if you saw it on Apple TV Clooney and Pitt and Wolves that they're marketing the hell out of. Have you seen that?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 3: I reviewed it. I reviewed it. I liked it.
Speaker 2: You did like it? See, I didn't.
Speaker 3: I couldn't.
Speaker 2: I couldn't finish it. What did you like about it?
Speaker 3: I think it's fun. I think it's very silly and I had a good time. You know, I'm looking at it has to do my tenth best list through Monday. Let's through tuesdays. They had to see rocks to on Monday. He made them homes of the Day. Because I'm going through I'm looking at the database of all my grades cheer as they're talking, and I remember giving it three stars, which I did. I thought it was fun I think the two of them for what it was, it worked well. But but it's funny because when I saw the movie, I already know when they were doing a sequel before it even came out. So the bitch stasting was from this which you didn't get to you because you didn't watch the whole thing. They had no effect because basically, you know, but one little for pushing past in the sun there kids, people haven't seen the movie. That's freaking fifty something years old. They die, right, and it looks like Cloney and Pitt are going to die at the end of this movie because it has they're running out like seven hundred people were gunns. But Apple say the first movie they came out that they were doing this, were they were going to come back and do it. That kind of ruined the ending for me totally, because I might have given it a slightly higher grade if I thought that was the actual end?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 3: So was it?
Speaker 2: You know what? Now, Well, I'm gonna watch it. I got it. I think I got thirty minutes to go, so I'm going to finish it, so it kind of like a Sundance Butcher Sundance type of ending. Yeah, ohkyl, well, hey, I got to check that out. And of course, you know Pitt with DiCaprio in the Hollywood movie Might Oh God, that name just escapes me. Tarantino directed.
Speaker 3: Hollywood.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was terrific. I mean, that's that's like one of my my my top five.
Speaker 3: Uh that's so. You know Anora, a woman from Anora, Mikey Madison is in that movie. Isn't one one? Once a why a simon Hollywood? You know, I'm notoriously Uh, I didn't like it. I said, it's two thirds of a very good movie. And I explained why why didn't you like it? I mean I didn't hate it. Again, it's two and a half stars, which is not hate, but that's two thirds of a great movie. That that scene where the life's won and Los Angeles maybe the best thing that Chance ever directed. But the problem is that this is too this is too macult level. You know, Tim taking on the Nazis and the Glorius Fast or taking on Flavory and Genue Chain. That's macro. You're talking about a person who you know was killed and he's basically sure is going to stay as a pretty white girl in this film. It's two Michel. You can't really do so it doesn't work. This is a real person, Charry take was a real person, because they're better than what she was given in this film. You can't rewrite history on that. You know that that granular eleven and I think that's why I threw me about the entirely, but also the last third of it is absolute garbage. So I know I was the popular opinion on my part, but I you know, I didn't get into this business like I'm a fake. I'm a critic.
Speaker 2: No, I mean, it's not a popularity contest. That's an interesting take. That's a really interesting take. All right, Oda, can you hang out for one more segment?
Speaker 1: Sure?
Speaker 2: Okay, Odie? Here Anderson is with his Boston Globe talking movies, Holiday movies, movies in general, plus tednan Quincy as a question for Odie. That's all coming out next here on wbz's Night Side.
Speaker 1: Now back to Dan ray Mine from the Window World Light Side Studios on WBZ News Radio.
Speaker 2: Welcome about Gary in for day and Tonight. Odie Henderson Boston Globe, talking movies, TV, all that stuff. Joining us. We'll go to Ted and Quincy. He's got a question. Hey, Ted, thanks for calling WBC. You're a knight side.
Speaker 3: Good evening.
Speaker 2: What's up? Ted?
Speaker 5: I had never heard anybody never heard? Have you ever watched twenty fourth Street with Danny I L and Elick Zanne?
Speaker 3: Yes?
Speaker 4: Was it?
Speaker 5: Do you think that's like a Christmas movie?
Speaker 3: Street? It's yeah, I remember seeing it. That was a long time ago.
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, Kenny l Elik Isamne was that Frank Delinjello whatever? When he's a kid, you know, when he's young. Movie starts out with him throwing snowballs, a really good Christian kids throwing snowballs at the church and the priest wants to you know, they police arrest them and he brings them in. He says father, he goes he's a good Christian. What are you gonna let him go? And he goes hy. You know, It's that's how the movie starts, right.
Speaker 2: It's Christmas, all right, Ted, Greg.
Speaker 5: Christmas and on the whole movie it's Christmas. You know everybody he needs hey, kid, Chris, you know the thing even at the you know, anyways, Danny Iello story.
Speaker 3: You wasn't twenty fourth It's twenty ninth Street, is it you? Sure? Well?
Speaker 5: I haven't seen it in the years because my brother wouldn't give me the movie back.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, what you need to think it was? That's just unfair, Ted, But we appreciate the call. Ted, thanks for coming. I did have a chance to go.
Speaker 3: I'm going to watch it again. Thank you for recommend me. If everybody didn't enjoy it.
Speaker 2: I did do a movie with Danny Iello, really I did. Yeah. A friend of mine, Frank's Yoda. He had a movie called Stiffs that was shot in the North End and he needed a newscaster, and I went down and I worked with them for a couple of days. He was He was great. He kind of fell into acting. He wanted to be a baseball player. Then he fell into acting and he got into it late. And then the first time I remember him was moonlighting, not moonlighting, moodstruck. Moodstruck, and you know, then he took off. Yeah, he was great to work with. I had a blast with him. If Frankie, they did a great job of this movie. Uh it was. It was a great premise where the funeral homes in the North End. They were being overtaken by corporations. So for this family owned just single funeral home to stay in business, which i Elo ran. They started killing off mobsters, so the rival gangs would kill each other, which was good for business. Okay, I got yees stiffs. So that's and that's that was my Danny i Ello experience today.
Speaker 3: I saw the first time I saw.
Speaker 2: Oh that's another good What did you think of Newman?
Speaker 3: I do you think you get a bad I love his wife more. I think his wife's a better actor. And he would also agree with me that Johann Woward is a better actor.
Speaker 2: Oh, he totally would. He totally would. I wonder if he got a bad rap of always playing the same guy.
Speaker 3: No, I don't think he's played the same guy, because the guy he plays in The Verdict is not the guy he plays in Kolan Luke No, or.
Speaker 2: The Guy which is a movie for Hub or chat on.
Speaker 3: The Hodson Roof, or any of these movies that could game. I mean, it's not like I mean, as much I love Jack Nicholson, there's always a bit of Jack in all of his movies, right, That's true. I'm the same with Paul Newman.
Speaker 2: What about Road to Tradition.
Speaker 3: You know, I didn't care for that. I think he's good in it, but I didn't particularly care for Tom Hanks.
Speaker 2: Is a villain does not work them strong, It doesn't work, and they tried to make him a good villain. And Daniel Craig, I mean, Daniel Craig was in that movie that was his coming out party. I mean that's where everybody said, who's this guy? The problem with that movie is they put in the Jude Law character with the photographer, and I think that it all got metal muddled up. Today I watched Conclave. Have you reviewed it?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 3: I did. I viewed it from SIF and I reviewed it in the paper when they came out as well. Did I love conc.
Speaker 2: What'd you think? Without giving okay, folks, cover your ears? What did you think of the ending?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 3: You know, when I saw at Toronto, I was I went to the critics screening, and critics screening is notoriously. We don't we don't respond. I didn't laugh something funny, but you don't really like you try not to show your emotions. That the critics screen is kind of silly. But people gassed at my screening. We won't say what the ending is. People gasp. And I had not heard people gass at a critic screening since Creaked, which is twenty fourteen or thirteen and fourteen. So yeah, no, I I love. The ending was great. Apparently I didn't know it was a book until after I seen the movie. I had to be dragged to that. The last thing I wanted to see was the Pope. Those sort of stuff I was dragged to. And I was glad I was dragged to it because it's not it's a lot of fun. And I hated that director's last movie, I'll find in the Western Front. It was on my wors. I hated. Oh really, I didn't want to see it. It was about Pope and it was directed by a director whose last movie was on my tin worsters. I did not want to see that movie at all. And I'm so glad.
Speaker 2: I well, I anytime you. And obviously what the movie's about is the Pope dies. And basically the whole movie takes place in the Vatican, so there's not a lot of car chases here, if you know what I'm saying. The cast is tremendous, lift guy's great. Tucci's great in anything finds Out Unbelievable, una believable.
Speaker 3: He is great.
Speaker 2: I think right now he's the best actor.
Speaker 3: He won't win, but he'll get nominated. I'm pretty sure.
Speaker 2: Yeah, who do you think will win?
Speaker 3: Doctor Isabella lost the movie. She's fun her her big one, big scene is a lot of funnels.
Speaker 2: She was greater. It was great to see her back in there. But the ending, which you know, here's the one thing I will say, and it's the same thing with this show, The Diplomat I've been watching. The one thing that the writers have been doing is they've really done a good job being unpredictable. And that's hard to do, dude, that's hard.
Speaker 3: Now, it is quite hard to do. And also it's not it's frowned upon if you are unpredictable. You know a lot of movies, they don't want you to be unpredictable. They want you to give the audis exactly what they want, and that could be exceptionally born.
Speaker 2: Well, but here's the deal. Though. You know my wife, who's a very bright woman, she's an executive. She graduated with a four oh in college. She she loves predictable. She watches Law and Order and I said, how why do you watch? And she goes, I work my ass off all day, and she said, I just want a show. I like Murusky Hardegay, they're going to wrap it up at the end. The good guy wins, and that's all I want. And you're right, and some people want that, and that's fine.
Speaker 3: Sometimes it's fun. Sometimes it's fun, that's what you want.
Speaker 2: But like to surprise you, which they've done with the diplomat, which they certainly have done with Conclave, I think is just it's it's hard to do, man. And here's the other thing that's hard to do, is it's hard to pull it off and make it believable. Because sometimes I could say, oh, well you know this happens, and you go, I'm not buying that.
Speaker 3: Well, see when you mintioned the diploma before. The first thing I thought of was disclaimer, which I did sit through, which has the thing that's supposed to surprise you, and it's absolutely the most imposterous, stupid thing. And this is why I don't I'm glad on a film critic because a lot of times when you RSTV critic, you have to sit through all these I used to do recaps for TV shows, you have to sit through all the episodes and then do something like that. Or the show is bad, you have to stick with it regardless of how bad it is. And it's like a bad episode every week, and it's going to drive wall. So it's all little time free time because I'm seeing all these movies in it, all this other's gonna have to do that. I have to pick and choose that I want to commit my several episodes or something too, you know. And and sometimes I mean like Suscussion I watched, and there are a couple of the shows that I watched. But for the most part, I don't have the luxure of didn't do something, you know, wasting my time and then doing something right.
Speaker 2: See, I didn't realize that, Odie, we're out of time. It's been great talking to you. We'll do it again. I really appreciate your time in your spare time. The Diplomat on Netflix. Trust me, Okay, I will watch all right, dude, we got to go have a nice holiday. Thanks you too, all right, Odie Anderson, Boston Globe film critic readom what a great talk Tony V my buddy his life and stand up comedy coming up next to WBZ