Speaker 1: Welcome Friendsis Podcasts podcast is done.
Speaker 2: Show Jack again by the Talking does brub mom Down podcast on Baby.
Speaker 1: Your town is being quarantined.
Speaker 2: We got nineteen dead, you got a hundred more infected. It's spreading on a brush fire. What are you talking about. If one of them's got it, then ten of them got it now, and if one of them gets out of Cedar Creek, we have a very interesting problem from the heart of a small California town to the inner circle of power in Washington. The greatest medical crisis of all time. We can't stop Him begins. There will be panic the likes of which we have never seen. Dustin Hoffman, Renee Russo, Morgan Freeman. We can't stop Him. Outbreak Rated R starts Friday, March tenth at a theater New You. Welcome to a movie film commentary Trek. My name is Zachi Hassain. I'm here in my has meat content ad mint suit in an uncontaminated zone alongside Brian Hall. Hey. How's it going, Zachi? I'm doing pretty well. I guess I should have put the helmet on. Yeah, let me take my.
Speaker 1: Hey, how's it going? Man? Apparently it's not airborne?
Speaker 2: Oh? Well that's a relief. Yeah, so we're good. You know what has been out in the wild for thirty years now, it's the movie Outbreak thirty.
Speaker 1: Years Yes, Outbreak, this was this is one of those movies that was such a thing in the moment, but it really was. I don't know that I've seen it literally in thirty years.
Speaker 2: Wow. So your first time revisiting it was for this track, I think.
Speaker 1: So, I think I I remember renting it and yeah, I don't know that I've seen it since.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this was definitely a phenomenon at the time it came out. It was number one at the box office for three consecutive weeks. Wow, which is no small thing. And you know, I think the last time I saw it was exactly five years ago, in the lead up to you know, all the COVID sheltern play stuff.
Speaker 1: Yeah, this movie entered the Netflix Top ten in that moment, and you can understand why. Actually, it is very interesting to rewatch this movie.
Speaker 2: Now having lived through that. Yeah, there's a whole.
Speaker 1: Different sensation that's really true watching some of these scenes.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so we thought, you know, we like to do this sometimes, just dip into nineties action cinema. Yeah, yeah, right, and and we have been kind of just working through, you know, the the catalog of Wolfgang Peterson. That's true. Yeah, so I thought, hey, you know, let's celebrate thirty years of Outbreak. Let's suit up. Let's suit up. Let's let's dive into the hot zone or not the hot zone.
Speaker 1: They will get into that, yeah, I'm sure we'll.
Speaker 2: Be talking about that as we watch this. This I was gonna say classic, it's just I would call you know what I would call it, Brian, I would call it a forgotten little gem.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, I would Yeah. Yeah, we'll get into that too. My memory of this. The tone of this movie is very different, right, and I would say it vacillates.
Speaker 2: I agree with that. Yeah, yeah, but but definitely a nostalgia trip for you and I. Yeah. Uh, and and hey, maybe it'll be a nostalgia trip for the people listening to us. So if you want to watch along with us, you can certainly do that. We are watching the one and only cut of the film. But you know, if not, we'll try to keep this conversation gaging enough that you won't feel like you're catching a cold, well or something worse while listening so with are you are you cute up on your end, Brian, Yeah, I'm ready to go. Okay, so we will hit play on three. We'll do the usual thing. So one two three play, and here we go, one two three play.
Speaker 1: You know, this is just on a personal note, but I was watching the movie last night that had the more updated Warner Shield, not the most recent one, but the one that we've had for a long time, where you see the reflection to the studio, you know, and you could see stage sixteen, which made me think of the last time you visited. And we went and saw a TV tapings a lot and we were staring at stage sixteen.
Speaker 2: Wow, how funny.
Speaker 1: Oh that's where Zachie and I were. And I actually thought, every time I see that now I'm going to think about Zachie and I walked past that stage.
Speaker 2: That's a nice memory. Yeah. As of this recording, that episode is not aired yet, so I'm still I'm still waiting. I've been keeping tabs.
Speaker 1: Also, well, we should say we went and saw a TV taping of Night.
Speaker 2: Court Night Court season three. Yeah, but so so do you go did you watch this movie in the theater when it came out? I don't think so.
Speaker 1: This was ninety five. I wasn't seventeen yet and seeing R rated movies was a little trickier okay at the time, and so probably I saw this. I think I rented it. You, Yeah, I saw it in the Cheap Show.
Speaker 2: But I did see it. I saw it with my brother downtown. Glen Ellen. I believe oh Ogden Ogden six No, no, no, it was oh Glen Ellen, sorry, yeah, and Glen Ellen yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, I can picture it. Yeah. So a little point of trivia, it says here in nineteen sixty seven Zaire. Just in terms of historical correctness, in nineteen sixty seven, this was known as the Democratic Republic of Congo, and it's known as that again. By the ways, I think it was only known as Zaire from seventy one to the late nineties.
Speaker 1: Interesting, speaking of it's our rating, I didn't realize this was rated R. It was one of those things where the movie went on for about thirty some minutes or something, and then every now and then there'd be like, oh, I was like, that's.
Speaker 2: Three f words. Like I was like, I was this rated are? Like I didn't even realize. I would guess it got the R rating more for sort of the horrific nature of the virus, like they didn't want little kids going and seeing the what happens.
Speaker 1: You know, honestly, that makes a lot of sense, because I think in my mind this just did feel like a weirdly like a nineties summer blockbuster that like, I you know what I mean, like a PG thirteen big summer movie or something. Yeah, but yeah, no, it's definitely pretty grotesque at times here.
Speaker 2: Very much. So. Yeah, And and what's what's fascinating is that I think I think the in terms of the situation. First of all, the situation that the movie depicts is complete fantasy, right in terms of how quickly the virus adapts and everything else. But what I do think it highlights and it's relevant nowadays because we or there there does seem to be sort of an anti science pushback in the world at large, right. I was watching the town react later. Yeah, I did have a wow.
Speaker 1: The more things change, it really, you know, it really is in a moment.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but I mean it it points out, you know, there's people who work in these fields who are who are unheralded but doing really important stuff, you know, like like the you know, General McClintock dropping this bomb here. You know, that's that's important work that he just did to wipe out this village. That's horrible. That's a that's a real bomb. By the way, isn't that terrifying?
Speaker 1: Like, oh, the type of bomb.
Speaker 2: That it uses oxygen to sort of create this it basically lights the air on fire. Wow, this is horrific. You know, we we we we seem to excel more at finding new ways to kill each other. Yeah, they to save each other's lives.
Speaker 1: And I had that very thought when you said that. It's like, we just use our imaginations and creativity and brilliance to find new ways to destroy. Yeah, really, you know, but this, I mean it came at an interesting time where I remember viruses were kind of like a lot. It featured a lot in the news. There was that best selling book The Hot Zone, that's right, which I remember there was like this sort of handful of books in the nineties that were these best selling true stories. It made me think of into thin Air about the ninety six Mount Everest disaster. Like I remember a lot of people reading The Hot Zone, and I knew it was a true story. About viruses. I remember Into Thin Air being a big one, which.
Speaker 2: That served as the basis for the movie Everest, which you.
Speaker 1: Know, which yeah, yeah, yeah, I actually I went and googled that because I thought, wait a minute, is this the same thing we just watched that? But yeah, so this movie began as an attempt to adapt The Hot Zone, right, I mean, the idea of making this film in the first place.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, there was a bidding war with Regardless before The Hot Zone even became a book. So by way of context, the Hot Zone is a fact based story about a near outbreak of abola that happened the state side. It started as an article in the New Yorker, I think, and at that stage there was you know, the studios were fighting it out.
Speaker 1: Like how to adapt this into a movie because this was a huge selling book.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so so Arnold Copolson, who produced The Fugitive, which, by the way, look look at the font here you can do this is Fugitive font.
Speaker 1: The font and the score and the score. I thought, wow, this feels I noticed the font and I noticed this sounds exactly like the score from The Fugitive. And then the credit, you know, James Newton Howard comes up, and I was like.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you have to imagine they tempt it with the fugitive probably in right. So, so Arnold Copelson got out bid by by Linda Oapst, who who put together a package for The Hot Zone with Ridley Scott attached and Robert Redford was gonna star, Jody Foster was attached. Kind of a big deal. Yeah, and so Coppelsen was like, well, I'm just gonna make my own virus movie. And and you know, you can't copyright a virus, uh, and so they just or the idea of a virus. I should say, I would assume Motaba is TM and copyright you know Warren Brothers. Sure, yeah, but you can't copyright the idea. And so they just kind of, you know, just did it faster. And and I remember at the time, because I was that nerdy film film buff kid, I was following like the the the race to get both virus movies into production. I remember when Crisis in the Hot Zone, which is what that film was, was gonna be called just they they they threw in the towel. Oh really, yeah, yeah, I remember, I remember all of that happening, you know, roughly in real time. How did you follow those sorts of stories in the mid nineties, primarily through Entertainment Weekly Time magazine. I would read the entertainment section in Time Magazine. Yeah, but I would Yeah. This was before even I had internet access. Yeah. I was going to say, yeah, yeah, so I would go. I would go to the jewel Osco right near my house. I would walk over there and I would read the Entertainment Weekly almost from cover to cover, just standing there.
Speaker 1: Wow, that was like a Memories a weekly thing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yep.
Speaker 1: I subscribed to that too, and you know Starlog and all those.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I had a subscription to Entertainment Weekly once I could do that on my own, from like ninety seven, no, no, ninety eight, early ninety eight until probably twenty twelve something like that. Wow, right, And then I realized, wait a minute, why am I I don't need to read this magazine.
Speaker 1: Like I know, I know well, and then it ceased being Entertainment Weekly and now that's right early and yeah, yeah, I think it went monthly first and then online only, so.
Speaker 2: It's not published at all anymore.
Speaker 1: Well, as I say that, I'm not sure because you know, I don't know why I'm telling this story. But I got one in the mail with my name on it two years ago and thought, what, like, I did subscribe to this and then I never got another one again. And I don't know if there was some glitch in their system where they saw my name was in there from fifteen years ago, or look at that.
Speaker 2: It's a metaphor for something. One day you received an entertainment weekly, never realizing it was the last entertainment weekly you'd ever received. That's right, it's very deep.
Speaker 1: But no, I was reading this interview with the screenwriters Lawrence Dwrett and Robert Roy Poole, and they said that, yeah, Warner Brothers was enlisting writers to adapt Crisis in the Hot Zone.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and they came back.
Speaker 1: The writers came back to Warner Brothers and said, this article won't make a good motion picture because the end of the article is hundreds of monkeys being put to sleep and the disease never affecting human beings. So Dworet was a former emergency room doctor, and he said, you know what really scares me is somebody's going to come in with a particular disease and I'm not going to recognize it. And they're going to spread it to me and all the medical staff, and we're going to have to go home, or we're going to go home and spread it to our families. So they're like, let's have a movie where a virus spreads out of control, and you know, it has to be a bigger movie. People have to get sick and die, and it has to be a threat to the world. Otherwise it's not a major studio feature. And Warner Brothers.
Speaker 2: Agreed, Well, I think that's very apt because because The Hot Zone was eventually adapted into a TV mini series and it was very compelling television interesting, And I had that exact thought. I was like, I don't think this would have worked as a movie. It was. It ended up in the exact format it should have been in.
Speaker 1: It was like a dramatic narrative or was it a documentary.
Speaker 2: No, it's a mini It was a mini series. Yeah, it was a show. It starred Juliana Marghley's Oh interesting. Yeah, and really remained attached as EP from the time it fell apart. I think that this this movie, it has kind of pulpy energy.
Speaker 1: He surprisingly, so, I didn't remember it that way. Yeah, And I especially when you get into the third.
Speaker 2: Act, very much like a nineties popcorn yeah exactly. Anyway, Yeah, no, I well, I I personally like the fact that they went with Dustin Hoffman. I think that's really interesting and it makes the movie kind of stand out because he's never done other movies like this.
Speaker 1: I agree, and he brings sort of a oh well, he's this type of guy. You know, if you just put someone who's got I mean, forgive me Dustin, but like more muscles and you know, perhaps some more traditionally movie star handsome face, you know, Harrison Ford type who they were looking at. That's a different type of character. Like this guy seems like someone who devoted his life to the study of this thing, and he's put into an extraordinary situation and seeing him fight against the system to do what's right feels different in the way that it's gonna be yeah right, versus like if you put Schwarzeneggers, you.
Speaker 2: Know, yeah, well to that point. You know, this is something Linda Obst talked about. You know, she was the Hot Zone producer. How Wolfgang Peterson was trying to like get Redford to come over to his virus movie. Mm hmmm, and She talked about how that was like a pretty shitty thing to do, which which I would agree with. However, Redford, to his credit, he told he told Linda Opst, I'm sticking with you to is that true? That is a true sort which is either endearing or sexist.
Speaker 1: I don't know, kind of depends on.
Speaker 2: But but yeah, they are. They they wrote Sam Daniels with Harrison Ford in mind, which I can imagine that movie. I can absolutely see that he turned it down. Then they went to Mel Gibson, they went to Sliced Alone.
Speaker 1: You know what's so funny. I didn't imagine I would say this, but this movie does.
Speaker 2: Have daylight or daybreak or whatever.
Speaker 1: That movie was called ye energy, oh totally, which I was not expecting. I thought this was like a real more like high minded, serious dramatic sort of piece, but it was, no, No, it's not.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Well, and and that's where I think, honestly, Hoffman elevates it a little bit just via his presence. Yes, because because again going back to what I was saying, like he he was not known for your big blockbuster movies. And I think I think there is a relatability and a reality and I think he knows the assignment here, you know, uh, and I think that helps you know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, absolutely, Actually I was kind of and we just saw the scene where they're on the helicopter and you have Kevin Spacey, Dustin Hoffman, Cuba Gooding Junior together, we just saw Morgan Freeman, and I was kind of interested in where these people were at in their careers because we know them now, is right, I mean major stars. I'm specifically really talking about Kevin Spacey. Well you know, we can talk about that, but like in Cuba Gooding Junior. But this is sort of we're getting kind of introduced to them, like Jerry McGuire hasn't happened yet, right, the usual suspects happens this year. I think for Kevin Spacey, sod.
Speaker 2: Of Cuba Gooding from Lightning Jack. No, That's what I knew him from. Actually.
Speaker 1: But when you look at Dustin Hoffman, I mean obviously you have like rain Man and I'm grading all those things.
Speaker 2: Five years after his Rainman Oscar. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Well you have Dick Tracy in ninety Simpson's Mister Bergstrom ninety one, Billy Bathgate, Hook something else, Hero, and then this in ninety five, so it's not like a ton of huge movies, honestly.
Speaker 2: Yeah a minute there, Yeah, Yeah, that's that's different. Yeah.
Speaker 1: And then Kevin Spacey, of course it's interesting too. I mean, obviously we can apply what we know about him now, but I did feel like, how am I supposed to feel about this character? He seems like kind of a weirdo.
Speaker 2: See. I was like, oh, it's likable, doomed partner. Yeah.
Speaker 1: I mean he's got like a sense of humor, which probably, again, if I could remove what I know about him now, I think he might seem a little less creepy. But he does have I think he's supposed to be like sarcastic yeah, or something like he's the funny, sarcastic yeah counterpart. But he just seems like, I don't know, like the way he talks to Cuba Gooding Junior and like, oh yeah, liquefies to your eyeballs, And it's like, is he like the guy who's a little obsessed with how the virus works? Like he could like like lean into that with the tone that I think he's doing, you know, right, or he like I almost admire its simplicity.
Speaker 2: He's Ian Holme and the alien. Yeah, yeah, exactly. See. I remember this is this is I'm gonna take the bow for this. And I remember watching this in the theater and being like, that's the guy who's gonna die sure, Kevin Spacey. Yeah, and it was I was doing the movie Math. I was like, I was like, it's not going to be the It's not going to be the black guy m like I was doing. I was doing all this, He's he's the math. Yeah. I was like, he's the young you know. And and I I was kind of pegging it. I was like, well, they're not going to kill Rene Russo. So that's why I and I I had because this is Wolfgan Peterson and I knew he was the guy who did in the Line of Fire. And when Dylan McDermott dies in that movie, that was That was my first time with the doom partner trope. You know, wow, that really was.
Speaker 1: I mean, it continues, I'm sure to this day, but maybe audiences expect it more so you don't see it as often. But now Speed was a year before this.
Speaker 2: I think Jeff.
Speaker 1: Daniel is one of the most affecting Doomed partners, at least in my experience.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, and I love that that in Copycat, Dermott mulroney is the likable doomed partner Copycat. Wow. Yeah, so Pulan McDermott and Dermott mulroney have both been the likable doomed partner.
Speaker 1: I've said it before. I don't know why Copycat keeps coming up on this podcast, but like, I feel like that one's been forgotten to time, but I will never forget the killer in that movie Licks a Knife, and I thirty plus years later, it still haunts me. I'm like, eh, it really really disturbed me.
Speaker 2: Anyway.
Speaker 1: So, yeah, you got Cuba Gooding Junior on the chopper being like he's being prepped, like, look, man, what you're about to see is pretty intense. We need to know that you can handle it if you're going to be a part of our team. He's like, you can count on me, so you obviously know he's gonna barf.
Speaker 2: And then he up checks in his suit in his suit, which is very horrifying.
Speaker 1: And then there's that moment too, I mean that's the reveal that this virus is not airborne. Yea, They're like, don't take off your helmet. But then he lifts it up.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and yeah, again I.
Speaker 1: Don't know if this is a post COVID kind of thing, but just having lived through that moment where well in this movie, later you'll see someone coughing in a movie theater. Yeah, and I'm like, oh, please stop, please stop please, you know kind of that seeing.
Speaker 2: That as a kid was a traumatic moment.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, it really gets and of course would work in ninety five with this film. But again having lived through that moment where you hear someone coughing in the theater and you're like.
Speaker 2: Dude, yeah, like right or leave, just leave. Yeah.
Speaker 1: And so then you know, wearing the masks and then being in a target or something with a mask on and feeling like if I lift it, is that okay? And then if I put it back down, did I just you know, create a situation for myself. So seeing Cuba Gooding Junior lift the helmet in that area, I really felt that, oh, don't breathe, don't breathe. You don't know, you know, it felt more even more palpable to me now post twenty twenty.
Speaker 2: Yeah, which it is so crazy to be five years out from that, you.
Speaker 1: Know, It's so funny. I mean, yeah, I mean does it feel close or like, does it feel a million miles away or does it feel like it was yesterday? You know, yeah, both, definitely both.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 1: It's interesting too that in that moment, and maybe because it was early on where it almost felt like a novelty, Hey you got to stay at home, you don't have to go to work, Yeah, that people were in droves going to outbreak and Contagion, right, yeah, you know, because I remember that one got picked up.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Contagion is like a hard one to watch, Like, I think this one benefits from sort of the fact that it is escapism, you know. Yeah, yeah, Contagion. That's that's a rough one, you know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I haven't seen that one in a while, but I remember the whole thing about like the butcher and the pig and like, you know, the way it spreads the market. Yeah, by the way I was reading, I always try to like look at a lot of trivia about these movies because that's what I'm really interested in. And yeah, half the trivia of this movie is like, so to get the monkey to do this, you know, just how difficult it was to get the monkey to do the certain sorts of things. That's and apparently in that scene we just saw where it gets captured with the net, they had to train the monkey to feel like it was a game. Yes, that's right, like it was fun to be in the net, and so they got it.
Speaker 2: To to to do that.
Speaker 1: And so it's you know, it's always hard seeing a real animal on screen screen.
Speaker 2: The monkey. The monkey, by the way, that's that's Betsy, the same monkey who played Marcel on Friends. That's right, that's right.
Speaker 1: And apparently they had a difficult experience with that monkey.
Speaker 2: Right. Well, well, monkeys are pains in the ass, I would imagine, just yeah, in general, trying to get monkeys to do stuff. Well, as we say, I mean, you know, does an animal know they're in a movie? You know?
Speaker 1: I think that all the time. I was watching something the other day and like a horse fell over and it was an older movie. So I'm like, you know, they tripped that horse, and I'm like, that poor horse doesn't know what's going on. It's just living its life, you know, and animals don't know. But but didn't they make a joke about outbreak in Friends like Outbreak two?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Yeah, Well, they they had a thing where where the movie. They were filming Outbreak too, and so Ross goes to visit Marcel and the movie stars Van dam Yeah, oh that's right. I see.
Speaker 1: I've only seen the series once and I remember the Van Damn thing and I remember the Outbreak too.
Speaker 2: I forgot those were connected. Yeah, yeah, that's funny.
Speaker 1: But I should mention that ship that we just saw, the Tyguck Seattle. I guess it's called okay, that brings the Monkey to the US.
Speaker 2: That's actually the S.
Speaker 1: S Lane Victory, which is a ship from World War Two, and you can visit that in San Pedro, California. And I actually had relatives out here and I was looking for things to do and I saw that you could visit that that ship, that battleship, and it's actually really fun. So if anyone's looking for something to do, you can go into the bowels of the ship and see all sorts of you know, like gunner positions. That's amazing, huge cannons and yeah, I was actually I didn't realize that they still had it afloat and they were using it in films, okay, thirty years ago, but now it's I think permanently docked and you can go visit it. It's like a museum. So okay, yeah, point.
Speaker 2: Of fact, Yeah, no, that's I love that of going back and looking at old timey ships and things.
Speaker 1: You know, it is weird to think that. Yeah, people you talk about that all the time, like history all living at once. In the moment you're standing in, you know, think about the people that stood in that very spot, and you just think about a bunch of people running around that ship and what they probably experienced.
Speaker 2: It's yeah, it kind of kind of cool. So at the time this movie was made, Rene Russo was forty one and Dustin Hoffan was fifty seven. I did the math too. Yeah.
Speaker 1: So they're playing a married couple on the verge of divorce here.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and or they are divorced, but they're.
Speaker 1: Divorced, yes, yeah, and he's going to pick up his things. It was funny because I thought it sort of feels like from that spin the wheel of issues to give your character.
Speaker 2: It's true.
Speaker 1: I mean, it doesn't totally work though, because it's like I think specific with these characters. These are people who do the same job, and they're dedicated to their jobs and they're equally I liked that it's not like one is.
Speaker 2: Above the other.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, they're they're both very good at their jobs, and they're both very important and and so I then when this thing kicks in, they're sort of forced, well both of them are thrust into the issue. But then they're sort of brought together in one spot and they have to work together, and it brings them closer together. And actually thought then it worked pretty pretty well, like narratively.
Speaker 2: I agree. Yeah. I think I think I mentioned before. You know, I had a pretty big crush on Rene Russo throughout the nineties. Oh yeah, and you know, even here, as as she's withering away from the Motaba virus, I'm like, I'd risk get in the virus.
Speaker 1: It's a very I mean, it happens later, but it's a really sweet moment when he takes his helmet off. I agree, yeah, yeah, around her. So this whole thing, you know, where we're seeing them suit up and they put the duct tape over the cuffs of their outfits and the gloves, and I mean it's good because we later see issues with this, so we're sort of being introduced to the concept of this. But I don't know, man, I'm looking at that duct tape. I'm like, does that feel for as many precautions as they need to take, it feels a little precarious. Yeah, right, doesn't it like it doesn't even look like all that tape is tamped down.
Speaker 2: Well, it could be Scotch tape, So I guess just look at it that way. No duct table could always be worse.
Speaker 1: But it's nerve wrecking too, because then we have this moment of tension where it's like, well, you were about to walk in there, but there's a little little tear in your We cannot have that, right, And so you're like, well, why are these suits so easily terrible?
Speaker 2: Right? Well, and I think some of that, it will a lot of that probably is is sort of a cinematic license. That's a good point, right, because we know later on there's a scene where Casey's air hose is disconnected and oops, caught the virus. And I'm like, well, even as I was watching it, I was like, that seems really stupid if it's that easy. Yeah, yeah, yeah exactly. And apparently there's there's like a failsafe built in where it can only push air out, it can't take anything in. If something like that happens. Yeah, that makes a lot of sense because these suits, by the way, you know, if you look at real hazmat suits, they're made in such a way where you can't see the person's face. Yeah, you hear that a lot in movies.
Speaker 1: I can't think of a particular one off top of my head, but it's like space suits or space helmets. They're sort of redesigned so you can see the actor's face where exactly life they don't, and you can also stick lights in there and microphones and also.
Speaker 2: Right, right, So that's with this, you know, it's like they had they've kind of finessed something that's not entirely real life, right, but realistic enough that you roll with it. I think that's the thing, Yeah, is right, because because when you watch a movie like this, right, we are not experts. We're not epidemiologists or virologist or anything like that, and so what we need is to see characters act in a way that is apparently credible, and then we'll roll with whatever. Hugger, mugger they're saying, that's so true. Yeah, right, yeah, you know, it's sort of they have to perform credibility and we go with it. Because the movie lays out those markers. You know, my understanding is that image there of the Motaba virus, that's just the Ebola strain, And I think they just kind of photoshopped a little a little flint flam here and there, you know.
Speaker 1: Right right, I mean, I remember Abola goes all the way back to the seventies, but I well, you know what, it's probably due to the book. I was going to say, I remember sort of a flare up in stories about it in the nineties.
Speaker 2: Yep, that's right. And I can't say.
Speaker 1: I mean, I was kind of I was a teenager then, so it's not like I have a really solid understanding of what was going on. It's probably just headlines I was seeing over and over versus real knowing what the situation was.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Well, I was enough of a hypochondriac that that whenever I would read those types of stories, I just, you know, curl up in the fetal position under my bed, you know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Yeah, that's funny. Yeah, I see, And I've I've always been I think I get it from my mom a little bit, like a little bit of a germophobe. Yeah, like even pre COVID, like when someone coughs near me, I'm.
Speaker 2: Like, dude, yeah, yeah, you know.
Speaker 1: Or if someone shows up to work and they're like, oh, I got a cold, don't mind me. I'm like, I'm very much minding you. I don't want to be sick next week.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah. You know what's funny is is I've had this discussion with my wife because because you know, she'll eat my kids leftovers, and I'm like, nope, not doing that. Sorry, but there are your kids. I'm like, don't care, not doing that. That's so interesting. Yeah.
Speaker 1: No, But I mean so after COVID happened, I mean I wish it had never happened, but when people were a little more heightened and being a little more mindful, like you know what, maybe I shouldn't come into the office today, or you know, don't shake my hand. I've been having a cough this morning. I was like, now, this is the world I want to live in, you know, everyone sort of respects one another as well being you know, or even like I visited Japan in like twenty seventeen or eighteen or something, and of course masks were part of the culture over there, and I was like, if only this would catch on you know, if you're not that you have to wear it every day. But if you're not feeling well, or if you're going to be in a public space and you're a little concerned about the people around you, let's make it normal, you know, to take the precaution and not bad an eye. And so again when masks, you know, obviously I don't think anyone enjoyed having to wear masks all the time in every place, but I was sort of hoping that it would normalize a little bit, like, well, but if you aren't feeling well, the least you can do is this sort of thing or not made to feel weird. If you get on an airplane and you're going to visit an elderly person, which I've it's happened for me, and it's like, well, I'm gonna put on a mask because I I'm going to be hanging out with this person in the nineties for a week. And I would say kind of got there.
Speaker 2: Well, there is sort of the the dickishness that we see of people pulling off the masks of other people.
Speaker 1: See you now that yeah exactly, And I'm like, you don't, just yeah exactly, Just don't don't here's an idea.
Speaker 2: Just mind your own effing business, Mind your own fing business. Yep, I completely agree.
Speaker 1: I do enjoy this uh kind of like respect slash adversarial relationship between Morgan Freeman and Dustin Hoffman just because they're great actors and they have great voices.
Speaker 2: That's right, and starting intentive.
Speaker 1: Yeah, like hearing them go toe to toe is just pleasing to listen to.
Speaker 2: A great comedian could make a meal out of a Dustin Hoffman Morgan Freeman conversation, just playing both sides of that. Yeah.
Speaker 1: But yeah, But so going back into the story here the opening sequence, we see two characters. There's that ship again. It's weird to think I've like stomped around that thing two characters in the sixties in these hazmat suits.
Speaker 2: Where you do not see the faces.
Speaker 1: Yes, that's right, and that's supposed to be the Donald Sutherland and Morgan Freeman characters.
Speaker 2: Correct, that's right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, which is funny because now you would just dage them or something, right, but maybe they could.
Speaker 2: I think the idea was to keep it somewhat opaque, whether it was them or not, like, yeah, possibly see you look at McDreamy is the guy who fs everything up. Yeah, it's causing trouble even back then. This is here, right here in the Bay Area is where where all this ship starts. Yep, San Jose.
Speaker 1: What an interesting car to give that character. It's like a nineteen four already's you know, like total classic classic kind of car, Like what's the story there? But yeah, you know, you watch a movie like this and everything goes south because of a chain of stupid events, right, And it's hard to watch those events in a movie where you know they're going to be bad. But then you just think about, like, I don't know, this dude just kind of made a buck couple bucks on the side doing one little gnarly thing, not realizing he was doing himself and potentially the world.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean that's that's kind of the thing, right is as I actually appreciated that the Dempsey character Jimbo, who in my head canon is the adult version of the kid from The Simpsons, I could see that he's he's not like malevolent, you know exactly, like he's not like you stupid monkeys and you know doing that. Yeah, he's just an idiot, He's he's he's an absor rribably stupid person, no doubt. Yeah, but not not a malicious force. You know. Yeah, I like that too.
Speaker 1: It's just again, it's a series of events that you I mean, they're never okay, what he's doing, this is bad, but like, all right, I can believe that might happen, you know, but due to these things.
Speaker 2: You know, as soon as the monkey sits in his mouth over here by the way that you're like, oh, that's not good. It's so gross.
Speaker 1: Sorry you were saying, no, no, it's just you know what I'm saying, Like, you just think about the decisions you make in your life, and every now and then you make like one maybe I shouldn't have done that. But then you like you watch a movie like this and you're like, what if that one little thing that you felt bad about for five seconds but then moved on from, like possibly meant the end of the world.
Speaker 2: Well that's you know, this is so random. I was having a discussion with somebody where I was like, you know, it's a real blessing that we don't have nonlinear awareness of time, you know, oh man, yeah, right, Like all we can do is experience things in the moment, and we we can't look back at the sea of choices that we might have made and everything. It's just it happens and we move on, and like, what a gift that is. I know.
Speaker 1: It's like that scene in The Matrix right where the oracle is like, it's okay about the vase, don't worry about it. Yeah, and he knocks over the vase and she's like, would you have done it if I hadn't said anything?
Speaker 2: Yeah? You know.
Speaker 1: So it's like, yeah, your brain would be twist into like a pretzel just trying to undo and think about the decisions. So now the Patrick Dempsey character, he is basically just in cohoots with that pet store owner.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: He wants to breed monkeys. Is that what's happening?
Speaker 2: He's like, he's selling rare, rare animals. Yeah, and so the pets, right, he wanted a male to breed with the female.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so he could make more monkeys and sell them.
Speaker 2: I guess that's right. Yeah.
Speaker 1: So this isn't something that this guy Dempsey's doing all the time. He's not just stealing monkeys. This was like a one time I'll bring you this. I mean, I would.
Speaker 2: Assume this is not the first time he's done this, right, I mean, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 1: I mean it's not like he's taking one every month and that guy's just selling them. It seems like there's like an even bigger plot here.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Well, I guess it's like vague enough that you know, one presumes they have some kind of an ongoing relationship, you.
Speaker 1: Know, yeah, yeah, this is and this is just so ominous, right, like you know, this monkey is carrying something, and just the way the camera even cranes up watching him just like skidaddle into the woods, like well, into the world.
Speaker 2: You go.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeap, now here, this is going to back you up where you're not eating the leftovers.
Speaker 2: Yeah right, okay, well a couple of quick Number one, dumb ass here is feeling like shit and he doesn't say to the kid, hey, no, I'm not feeling well, right, yes, so that's weird. Number two, this kid, look, obviously it's good he doesn't like eat it. But also, I'm just gonna put this out there. I'm not saying I don't think it would have hurt the gene pool if he did get it, because this kid's not not a smart kid, you know.
Speaker 1: And I love to by the way, I love that the mom is like, dude, you look terrible. Like she didn't say it, but you see it on her face. Like a lot of times in movies like this, you see a character and we know they're sick and they have to overdo it, so we you got it, this character's sick. But other characters will be like, hey, you want to open mouth kiss, you know, with that person, and you're like, what are you thinking? They're bleeding from their eyeballs. Can't you see that?
Speaker 2: I like this right here, Yeah, you.
Speaker 1: See she does the stupid thing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, she sees how he looks, and then she swaps spit with him for about a minute and a half. Yeah, I'm like again, but I'm just gonna put this out there. Gene Pool not affected, probably doing the species of favor.
Speaker 1: This is pretty effective though, by the way, this spinny camera thing, oh no, it's great. Yeah, sometimes that can kind of annoy me, but this feels very effective how he's feeling. Oh this is crazy too. Anytimes someone falls over a like a wall full of glass or whatever, it's always I.
Speaker 2: Read a thing on I think this is IMDb trivia where it's like when he falls over the fish tanks they had plastic fish instead of real fish. I'm like, no, shit, really, thanks for putting that in there. I mean they didn't kill actual fish while making it, you know, like come on, well in the seventies, maybe they would have. I don't know. That's a good point.
Speaker 1: You know, it's funny.
Speaker 2: Oh this is so gross. Okay now now hold on, Now let's think about this for a second. Okay again, helping the gene pool in my opinion, yes, think about this. He's doing. Think about this. Now, hold on, Brian. He is distracted by the game, right, Yes, he's listening to it on the radio, right right. He doesn't need to look away. What was he distracted by? Yes?
Speaker 1: Yes, so basically, I.
Speaker 2: Mean for people who aren't watching along.
Speaker 1: There's what do you call those things where you put those tubes of blood or plasma or whatever and they spin really fast. Yeah, and you see them in laboratories. And this guy, like what Zaki is saying is he's not like looking away at a television, there's nothing distracting him visually, but he looks toward this radio and just randomly or not randomly, he's purposefully sticks his hand into that thing as it's still spinning. Breaks the vials and blood splatters everywhere like a horror movie. And then he starts rubbing his eyes.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, I know, just just the absolute worst.
Speaker 1: Going back real quick, this is so stupid, but you know this movie's over two hours.
Speaker 2: Real quick before you. Yeah, the real the centrifugias that actually do that. They lock so if a hand no, if it's spinning, like you can't just stick your hand in there. Right. Oh, I see what you're saying, Like like like a laundry machine exactly, there's like a mechanism. It can't be opened if it's not so again, this is a contrivance of the movie.
Speaker 1: Anyway, go on, well, like the suits, like you were saying, they're only going one way. No, I was just gonna point out again the boy who tries to grab the cookie on the airplane. It's kind of funny how he's dressed up in this like old timey cowboy outfit, which I don't know about you, but I don't think any of us were dressed like that in the nineteen nineties. Doesn't it feel like someone who was like forty plus years old in the nineties, Like, Yeah, when I was a kid, I used to dress up like a cowboy, when I was like.
Speaker 2: He's dressed like Woody in anticipation of that movie's release, in anticipation. Yes, he's a big fan of Pixar, even though that was their first movie.
Speaker 1: Right, But like, that's that funny phenomenon sometimes where you're like, we grew up aware of that being a thing for kids, because everything we watched was written by people who were kids, you know, thirty years in the past.
Speaker 2: That's that's so true, you know. I had that thought yesterday. I was watching something. Oh, I was watching Superman, the first of the original movie, and it's the scene it's like Clark Kent pulls up in the taxi to the Daily Planet and the cab driver goes Daily Planet Mac or something like that, and I was like, did people ever actually call each other mac? Yes, that's right, And I just kind of got lost in that, like that's a thing that like we accept as a as a shorthand refer but I'm like, no one in my life has ever said mac to somebody unless their name was Mac. You know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that was like I've told this story before, but when I worked on Puppy Dog Pals, I pitched an episode that involved a sock hop, okay, And I was like, I mean, that is just entirely irrelevant now in the twenty twenties, but like, that's something I grew up aware of because the people writing the things that I was watching as a kid knew about sock ops, you know, but somehow it carries on. And actually I was like, I hope, I'm I'm keeping it alive in some way.
Speaker 2: I think you've given it oxygen. Somebody somewhere watch that show, will make a movie involving a sock cop, and it'll be because of you. Yep. Let's hope that's your contribution to our literary lineage. So this is gross.
Speaker 1: So Rene Russo just opened up a guy and basically said his insides are liquefied, which I guess is kind of what happened with Ebola, right.
Speaker 2: That's right, yeah, I mean it's it's the Motaba virus in this film is like Ebola on steroids, right right, right, because because you're you're given like instant exposure, one hundred percent death within you know, forty eight hours or something ridiculous, which, thank goodness, knock on wood, we're not there yet in terms of Vira viruses whatever I feel like. Me saying that is like jinxing the world. Yeah. God's like, oh you're yeah. But you know, it works in terms of the drama for the movie because it creates the sense in the audience of just like, well, okay, so the guy's in the movie theater, dumb ass with the centrifuge yep is in the Now this scene here where his germs are just going out in the way that stays with you. That's a formative movie watching moment for me.
Speaker 1: The concept of this, yes, because you're watching the spittle Yeah, I mean like very very small, small small bits of it, Yeah, go out of his mouth and the camera follows it, and then it goes into the mouth of a woman rows away from him with her mouth open. So yeah, the concept then thinking of someone coughing in a theater and now you can imagine this in the air. And actually, when I saw Conclave a couple of weeks ago, there's a guy behind me coughing through the whole movie, and I was like, I was literally like, of all the seats I had to pick in this theater, and I just kept thinking about him, Yeah, And I was like, why do you want to be here.
Speaker 2: Yeah. See, that's that's the weird thing. Yeah, I mean with this, the guy in the movie, this in this in the film, who's at the movies. I'm willing to presume that he didn't feel that bad when he went to the theater.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's it's advancing quickly.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, so that that's that's my that's what makes it make sense for me. Yeah, I'll buy that. There you go, where's my no price? You know. It's funny.
Speaker 1: And the way I rationalized it away was like with the guy at conclave, or at least tried to comfort myself. I was like, well, typically coughing happens after you've been hit and it's like the result of what you went.
Speaker 2: Through and draining and whatnot. So hopefully he's on the other end of it. Yeah, yeah, there you go. And I didn't get sick so appy ending.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but this is like this is horrifying, man. So it's like, yeah, you have, you know, dozens and dozens of people pouring into the er here all sick, like this has got to be I mean, watching this movie as a doctor, well you think about one of the writers being a doctor, and that's what he said. This was his worst case scenario. What if there's someone in there spreading something I'm not aware of and don't understand, and they could be giving it to me. Right, That's what we're seeing, And it's kind of a scary image imagining that room and just people pouring in with something you don't understand in droves.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean that, And that's what was happening, you know, when when the rona first first kicked up. Yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 1: By the way, so we see this Renee Russo and her peeps in this office and they're just celebrating here for a second and everyone throws papers in the air.
Speaker 2: Looks good on film, but does that make a lot of sense. I was just thinking, like, A, you're losing track.
Speaker 1: Of whatever it was you were holding in your hands, and b there's like a moment after Yay, we're high fiving and hugging where everyone has to bend over and like and like pick up everything off the ground.
Speaker 2: I don't know, I I kind of I do like that what you were talking to with regards to the relationship between Freeman and Hoffman's characters, that we're not entirely sure where Billy is on the on the you know, on the on the gray shade spectrum, right, And I think that that creates some drama. I think on some level, you're like, yeah, it is Morgan Freeman. He's not gonna be the right, you know. I I also I was thinking. I was as I was watching it, I was like, do we did we need the military bioweapon plot line? Like? Is that is that necessary for the movie to have drama? You know?
Speaker 1: It's so funny. That is one of the factors that sort of makes it feel a little less real world. Yes, like more heightened action film, right, kind of a thing. I don't know, Yeah, I mean like a cover up trying to protect a cover up would be enough for me personally.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like like the whole, the whole Donald Sutherland of it all, with the you know he he his black hat is wearing a black hat, you know. Yeah, yeah, yeah, I do kind of love that that. Donald Sutherland plays like the kindest medical military doctor you could want, Hawkeye Piers, and then he plays like the most evil military doctor ever in this true. Yeah, that's true. The man had range, That's what I'm saying. Yeah, it's funny. I had to do some gymnastics in my mind because I was like, Hawkeye's that's Alan Alda, Yeah, in in our multiversal mash.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, but I do.
Speaker 1: There's something really compelling that you almost like fill in your chest when you're watching a movie about someone who's smart and you know they're right, but they're facing all this opposition, and it's like you want to think you'd be the guy who'd go the extra mile that's right, because we know that if he doesn't, you know, all these lives could be lost. Like, there's something really compelling.
Speaker 2: About that well and in that vein, right. I think that's what I like about having Hoffman in this movie is like when you say Sylvester Stallone rights, like, you know, I think I think Stallone is good at what he does, and at this time there were I just I have a hard time seeing him in this role and and not making it seem like, well, his success is inevitable. That's a really good point. Yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 1: You imagine him sort of like knocking out someone standing in his way and being like, that's my final diagnosis.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I totally agree.
Speaker 1: I think Hoffman's perfect for this to carry a different sort of dramatic weight.
Speaker 2: Although you know what's interesting is he was very self conscious about how he like Wolf King Peterson talked about how like there would be scenes where it's like he's got to go here and he's got to turn like this, and he's like, well, I don't know how it's gonna look and doing all this and I don't know which you know, it really kind of just stuck in his own head, you know, because he doesn't do these types of movies, and so there were literally moments where he's telling Wolf Computerson, look to show me how you want me to do it, and he's like, turn like this. Like so he's acting for Dustin Hoffman. Isn't that fascinating? Right? And just feeling good. But here's the thing, because he knew that he was like the third choice, right or the fourth choice. So he literally would say, like I bet Harrison Ford could have done that. You know, that's really fascinating. You know.
Speaker 1: I have a story I can't I can tell you off air, but I was working on a movie and it was in near the offices of the studio and we were waiting on this guy, okay, one of the executives, and everyone's like where is He's like, well, pretty famous actor is freaking out on set just basically in his own head thinks he's not good, can't finish this movie. And so the guy was up there talking him off a ledge and I was like really, yeah, like it's just fascinating, it is, you know. I mean, they're the end of the day. You think they're confident, and you know they have all the accolades, but there's still just human beings, you know, and there's a lot of weight, a lot of you know, big budgeted movie and they're the face of it.
Speaker 2: Well and to that point, I mean, this movie costs fifty million, which you know, that's that's like the craft services budget on Hollywood movies these days, or.
Speaker 1: At least the Russo Brothers Netflix movies.
Speaker 2: Yeah it's good, lord, Yeah, the Russo Brothers latest movie. I saw, I saw the budget. You're gonna this is crazy. It was infinity dollars. I didn't know that was a number, but the Russo spent it. Yeah, no, but fifty million. So like, certainly up to that time, it was the biggest budget movie that Dustin Hoffman appeared in, maybe maybe barring hook well, but that but you didn't there was in there that I was not sorry that was relying on him like he was the guy. Sure right, because hook is like a two hander, right, I mean people are going to show up for Robin Williams, sure, sure, sure, yeah, yeah that's right. But like this, this is a Hoffman joint, right. Yeah. People weren't like, oh, the guy from Lightning Jack is in this. Yeah yeah, that was just.
Speaker 1: Me in that little theater in Glen Ellen. But it did okay. In the US it did sixty seven million, but worldwide it did one hundred and ninety million.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, I mean, you know, look, this is let's normalize moderate budgets that allow for moderate success.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, absolutely, But you can see why this would translate worldwide, just the concept of this, You could it could be anywhere in the world.
Speaker 2: Really.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I feel like it's gonna say something that I totally forget never mind, but yeah, this is like, I don't know, almost feels like science fiction.
Speaker 1: Well at least I'm you know, this very obnoxious of me to say as someone living in the US in the nineties, you know, picturing like small town USA and the whole town coming down with something. Yeah, you know what I mean, Like it's kind of a scary. We always talk about fantasy in your backyard. Usually that has to do with something, you know, like positive, you know, like tea lands in your backyard. What would that be like in my suburban neighborhood. But this is like the whole you know, what if this crazy epidemic happened in my neighborhood, what would that look like? You know, it could happen at you're a movie theater. Hey, you're in a movie theater right now watching this, Like that guy that just coughed five seconds ago, that could lead to you know, everyone in your neighborhood being in Gurney's.
Speaker 2: I'm imagining like people watching this in the theater, and there's that one guy who actually has a legitimate cough, like a corn colonel stuck in his throat or something, right, and he's suppressing that because he doesn't want to get murdered, right exactly. You know, we got like a CG shot there, right, Yeah, that's right. It looks like this is going terrible where it was going through the vent.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So this is Hoffman realizing that the virus is airborne, right, because he looks up at the vent and then we take the camera through the vent going to another room and see like everyone's catching it, like, oh, I.
Speaker 2: Like the arc of this guy.
Speaker 1: By the way, I don't know his name, but the guy with the white hair and the mustle yes.
Speaker 2: Yes, oh, I actually do know his name. It's uh oh, damn it. I had it pulled up. I had the whole castle's pulled up. But anyway, on well, he just seems like a guy doing his job.
Speaker 1: And then Donald Sutherland's basically bulling him around and he gets that moment at the end where he gets to arrest him.
Speaker 2: That's the thing is is Sutherland treats him like such a piece of shit. You're like, oh, man, his uppus is coming. Yeah. Dale Die that's the actor's name, Dale de Die Wow. Yeah. And he's you know, he's a famous like technical advisor for you know, like military, like you know, Band of Brothers and that stuff. So he certainly looks it. He's got the looks. He's got a haircut, Brian that you could set your watch too. That's right.
Speaker 1: For people who don't know. That's a quote from The Simpsons. Homer's dad says Johnny Unitas as a he has a like a crew cut, and he's like, that's a haircut. You can set your watch too. And I believed that was an actual expression after watching that, and I was in a writer's room and I said it, and everyone was like, what what does that mean? And I was trying to convince him it was an actual expression, and I had to go on Google and be like, oh, I guess that's made that up.
Speaker 2: But doesn't it just make sense? It absolutely does anyway, you know exactly what he's saying. Yeah, So this scene here, I was watching this, and I was appreciating the idea that this is what specialists in this field do, right, they have this, you know that they are driven and and they're trying to lay out in a methodical fashion. And we want to believe that that there are people who are truly selfless who care about stopping this type of stuff. And I believe that is the case in fact, you know, absolutely, Yeah, And you know, I mean that's that's the thing is is, you know, over the last several decades, we've really there's there's a there has been a robust international apparatus set up to monitor and combat viruses and new viruses, and you know, I think, again, just going back to what we were saying, earlier. You know, this sort of this anti science moment that we're in risks knocking down these really foundational pillars that are going to end up redounding back to us in ways that we haven't fully reckoned with because we rely on knowing what the World Health Organization is saying and what and you know all of this stuff. I mean, it's it's it's we are a truly interconnected world in a way that we we need the expertise of scientists all over the planet.
Speaker 1: Yeah, don't we want people who are smart and understand this stuff to be on top of it so we don't have to worry about it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly right. Like when when you look at things such as a bola and even even HIV for that matter, that are you know, that are epidemics in in Africa and other parts of the world, It's like, you know, part of what our country has done is give resources and expertise to combat those there so that they don't become problems here. Yeah, you know, and so in in that vein this is what I like about scenes like this where Hoffman's character he's he's showing his dedication and his passion. Why because it's about saving lives. You know, we talk about this a lot, right, expertise in service of of something noble, you know, And and I love he has this line here where where Freeman's like, you were never here and right now and he says, no, I was here. I followed the bug here, I've always been here. Yeah, you know, like that's what you want, That's what you want.
Speaker 1: Absolutely yeah, yeah, driven smart people, you know, working hard on something. It's it's compelling to watch. I mean, we're just talking about that with that movie September fifth. We're big fans of, you know, competence porn, watching people who are smart, who are stymied in the moment but are putting their smarts to use. And we're watching them like you were saying when we were seeing spacing in front of that whiteboard, you know, just all right, like I got a marker on a whiteboard and we're gonna figure this out.
Speaker 2: And it's very satisfying and complete. It really is, it really is, you know, Yeah.
Speaker 1: And you want to believe that we've got people like that in the real world, you know, on top of things for.
Speaker 2: Us, I think we do, you know, I mean, when we talk about COVID, right, like the fact that this amazing group of scientists all over the world were able to come up with a vaccine in in such a short window. It's remarkable, it really is. I mean it was like a year. Yeah, it's amazing, incredible. I mean that whole process it was literally called Operation Warp Speed and they did it, you know, And and it's weird. I mean, I'm sorry, the only tangentially connected to the movie, But I'm like, what an achievement that people don't want to acknowledge.
Speaker 1: I was just gonna say, you're making me think, well, I want the book on that. Yeah, I want to read that Race around the Clock.
Speaker 2: That's right story.
Speaker 1: And the people who were involved in what they went through and sacrificed, and the revelations you know that happened, and the Eureka moments.
Speaker 2: It's got to be some kind of a great mini series out of that at least.
Speaker 1: Yeah, definitely, it's weird to think that would be politically charged in this moment, which is.
Speaker 2: That which is so unfortunate it really is, you know, yeah, yeah, I mean knowledge should not be a partisan position, you know, the having or not having of knowledge, it's not you know, yeah, I just I think, yeah, I was no good. Sorry, yeah, no, Well, I think this scene here is reflective of what likely would happen in terms of these folks who are trying to to you know, ram their way out of a barricade. I mean, that's like you were saying earlier in our conversation, like, hey, you know, the same as always seems like you know it.
Speaker 1: Is, isn't it funny? I mean it almost. I mean, obviously this is a very heightened version, but it I'm sure some people felt this way, you know.
Speaker 2: But here, okay, hold on a second. So so this helicopter is shooting like machine guns at you, and so dumbass is gonna shoot at them with a rifle.
Speaker 1: I know, I know, I mean I I almost hesitate to even admit it. But when I was watching and I was like, what'd.
Speaker 2: You think was gonna happen? Yeah, Like I didn't even feel bad.
Speaker 1: I was like, you know, like, dot, don't fire at a military helicopter that's firing at you.
Speaker 2: How do you think that story ends? You know?
Speaker 1: Yeah, but it's just the sentiment. Like I said, obviously this is very heightened scenario, but the sentiment of feeling like you're being locked into a place.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I was like, Wow, how weird that we would have a whole different sort of experience of that feeling thirty years after this movie came out, But then also putting myself in a movie theater in nineteen ninety five. What a scary when I say, like the fantasy in your backyard, What a scary situation to think there could be a situation where I'm locked into my town and literally, you know, a barricade could be put up and if I left, helicopters.
Speaker 2: Would fire at me. Yeah.
Speaker 1: But you can imagine too. I mean, this isn't sort of like a flu like virus. I mean this is like a really turn your insides into.
Speaker 2: A hemorrhagic fever.
Speaker 1: Yeah, like you you cannot let this get out of this barrier.
Speaker 2: Yeah. And and what's scary is that again this is this is on steroids, but it's based in the reality of a whole family of viruses that do exist, correct, right, which is I mean that's terrifying to think about, right, Like, like you look at it, Bola and there's one hundred percent fatality rate. You know, I can imagine that, you know. Yeah, Yeah, the whole the whole notion. By the way, this town it's Cedar Creek in the movie. I forget what it was called in real life, but it's it's a northern California town. It's about like up near Sacramento. I think they shot like Salem's Lot here, hm, which tell me this doesn't look like the town that would be Salem's Lot. Yeah. But but the whole, the whole concept of executing a lockdown to this degree, like you realize, like we did not have lockdowns during COVID, right, right, and that sort of became the shorthand right oh, lockdown. It's like, no, we were just asked very politely, like just stay away from people, you know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, and we were able to go to target and we were able to do the things.
Speaker 2: We needed to do. That's right, Yeah, that's exactly right.
Speaker 1: I wondered seeing all those helicopters in the sky. I imagine those were probably like CG is some certain I thought for the ninety five it looked pretty good.
Speaker 2: That I didn't even think about that. Yeah, I must have been CG right, Well not I mean, not all of them, but at least a few, yeah, yeah, making it look like much more. I think that Wolfgang Peterson was a very talented director, and I think he was good at these types of thrillers.
Speaker 1: You know what's funny, I'm going to agree with you, but I feel like by the way that woman that's so so horrifying image like blood coming out of the eyes, I think I might have had him in my mind as a different sort of director. Oh that's interesting, because I feel like he was this person who I mean, Doss Boot sure is much celebrated, and so in my mind it was like, oh, Wolfgang Peterson, like he does these sort of elevated well.
Speaker 2: He also did the never Ending Story, so you know, true.
Speaker 1: Well, I was gonna say, but I'm realizing that, No, he really was just kind of a talented blockbuster director.
Speaker 2: Yeah, just a pulpy yeah, pulpy mid level thrillers.
Speaker 1: You know, totally totally air force one.
Speaker 2: This in the Line of Fire.
Speaker 1: In Line of Fire, of course, which I think maybe in my mind might be my favorite of his.
Speaker 2: I definitely agree with that. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, like, have you ever seen Doss Boot by the way, have you I have seen.
Speaker 2: Us put Yeah it's good. Yeah, it's a good movie. Yeah, you're you're gonna procnew Okay, he of we just saw him in a bunch of movies last year. I feel like, yeah, oh he was yeah, because we did the Dune commentary. He was lado A Tredees in the Oh right, that's right, that's right. And he's he's the guy in Air Force one, you know, the general who like the bad guys want released. Yes, right, and you see him like walking out of the prison. Yes, and that's that's Urgen Prognous. I assume he just he just it's like a non speaking rold Hey, probably just did it as a favor for Peterson. Yeah, okay.
Speaker 1: By the way, did you know that Never Ending Story was like re edited for American audiences by Steven Spielberg.
Speaker 2: Wow, I did not know. That's a German film. Wow.
Speaker 1: I would be very curious to see what the original was. Like, yeah, wow, yeah, I like this.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, so this is the storyline. I kind of like that they use this woman as a way to sort of individualize what the is going through. Exactly, yeah, exactly. And her story is kind of a runner because if you're paying attention, she dies m because I think, you know, we see what her like sample number is or whatever. Oh and and so we find out that her and then we see her in a body bag later. Yes, and it's just like this if you're like paying attention, you know.
Speaker 1: It's funny because yeah, the movie just completely you know, does it turn into this yeah, like you say, more individual story. Yes, And I really loved immediately. I don't know what it was like she's cast very perfectly or something where she seems sweet but brave, scared but brave or something. And like, because I didn't remember the movie, I was like, oh, wait, does she like have something to do with the cure?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 2: Is it? But kind?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: It's yeah, really sad, really effective, I think so, and that you know it it gets to sort of like there's a similar beat with the with JT. Wallsh you know, in the White House, like as they're mulling, you know what they're you know, and what they want to do, and you know Sutherland's characters like, oh, we'ch just you know, firebombed the town or whatever, and he's like, look at these pictures, look at these faces. Yeah.
Speaker 1: I didn't know if I should wait or not, but I'll just say it because you brought it up. I was like, can a guy get an Oscar nomination for forty five seconds.
Speaker 2: Right, that's a great moment.
Speaker 1: He crushes that scene. Yeah, yeah, so good. And I was feeling it, like sort of emotions in my chest as he was doing that and throwing the pictures down.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and that too, Like I think J. T. Walsh is like uncredited in the movie. I think he just showed up. Wow, just walked in, did his thing, walked out. They gave him his bag with the dollar sign on it. I mean, he was that guy in this era. He was so consistently good and he was an archetype all all his own you know, hmm, yeah, sadly passed away. Yeah, yeah, he was in shoot, what was that KR Russell movie? Breakdown? Breakdown? Here's the bad guy in that, And he was in Oh he's in the Negotiator. He's really good in that. Yep. You know. Yeah, I'm so smart. Sorry sorry go ahead, no, no, go ahead.
Speaker 1: Not just so smart following that woman because like if we were to just see this shot of all these town folk walking into a building, yeah, it just wouldn't play the same. We wouldn't be identifying with anyone. But seeing her, Yeah, now that we kind of know her, We've seen an his story. Yep, we're watching her have to go. So now it's in a weird way, it's almost like she can be a cipher for us. And it's like, what if that was you walking through here and you were taking all this in and seeing these pop up tents in your neighborhood and being like, what is going on?
Speaker 2: Yep?
Speaker 1: Really really great choice she is, so something about it is just really you really sympathize with it. It looks very familiar, though, doesn't she Like I'm trying to I've seen her in something not sure.
Speaker 2: See spacey here. I mean, this is definitely the first time I saw him. Yeah, I didn't know him by name or anything, you know, because the Usual Suspects was was after this, right, yeah? Or same year maybe? Okay, yeah, so that I became aware of him via Usual Suspects. But my point is the character was likable enough that I was like, oh, dude's got a bull's eye on his forehead. You know, that's funny.
Speaker 1: Yeah, this is what happens after seven A Time to Kill la Confidential Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil. So like he's, you know, a bug's life obviously American beauty all that, Like, this is this is kind of the beginning for him, really yeah, yeah, I mean.
Speaker 2: It isn't, literally, but feah, there's a whole bitch of other shit coming. Well no, no, no, I just mean yeah.
Speaker 1: I mean he was in a movie called Swimming with Sharks that I'm sure people listening to the show might be familiar with, but I don't think that was a mainstream hit, right. Likewise, the ref oh Glengarry Glenn Ross. That was ninety two.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so that that would have put him on the map for a lot of people. Yeah, this, uh.
Speaker 1: This is like a real like what would you do scenario? You know, so he's he's in the room and gets a tear in his suit and races out and doesn't tell Renee Russo, I know, what would you would you think?
Speaker 2: It was? Okay, that's the thing. An instantaneous infection like that, there's no hope of stopping a virus like that. Yeah, right, but yeah, above and beyond that, it's as we said, like there were there's fail safes built in like that would be very piss poor technology if a single tear would get you instantly infected.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, definitely right, definitely.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So this is the scene we were talking about here with with Walsh as the I'm assuming he's a chief of staff. Yeah.
Speaker 1: I mean he's just so like in command in this scene.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: His performances, voice and and to credit the writers, I mean everything he's saying, Yeah, that's right, making his case why you shouldn't blow up an entire town of people.
Speaker 2: What a concept. I know.
Speaker 1: Well he convinced me, Zachi.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think the original Originally Jodn Baker was going to play the McClintock character, okay, and Andy, they switched it up. They went with with Sutherland. I'm glad they did. Like I can, I can see Jodn Baker, I guess. But you know what I like about Sutherland is he there's this there's this sinister quality to him. Mm hm, you know, sort of just under the surface. You know that that's very I think that the you know, the producers wanted somebody with with an Oliver North quality mm hmmmm, which Oliver North might disagree with the characterization.
Speaker 1: You know, he's like on a treadmill right now, going hey.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, this right here lives. It's a great and to see there's the woman who we saw. Yeah, it's it's it's a great performance, great, great scene. Yeah, it's funny.
Speaker 1: I'm captivated by it looking at the subtitles on Silent Yeah, made those images haunt us till the day we die.
Speaker 2: Right, great, I mean you'd like to believe that people who are in charge think in those terms. Yeah, right, Maybe maybe that's a fool's hope.
Speaker 1: Yep, you hope, you you hope at least, uh, there are some Yeah, it's it's harder and harder to believe it, but yeah.
Speaker 2: It's I you know, I I just I I believe that people are at their core decent. I do too, you know. And and you know government work or this type of work. You know, it's like you're doing it because you believe in service in some capacity. Yeah, or at least you did at some point, right, Yeah, exactly. You know this is a horrifying concept by the way, too, right, like taking all the dead bodies, throwing them in a barn and just torching the barn. It's scary. Yeah, And and to that point, I think, I think that's why we follow that woman through her whole journey, That's why we get that JT. Walsh scene because it lends weight to that moment of all the bodies being burned in they're not just statistics right right right, you know, because because here's the thing, because we see that that you know, infographic or whatever that shows in forty eight hours and it's all just you know, the whole country's infected or whatever like, and and it's so big it doesn't it stops meaning anything, right, And I think the third act, which culminates in this whole thing about about you know, destroying this town, we need to be invested in the people who live there, right, you know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know what this movie does well also is it keeps introducing new threads that are intriguing. So the woman, when we see her saying good bye her family, we're like, oh, what's gonna happen with her? And then just now when we see the monkey show up at that little girl's window, Yep, you're like, uh, oh, you know what I mean. Like it keeps introducing new like something that could possibly you can relate to, but like it's the worst version of it, Like what if something were was happening, like your daughter is sleeping in her bed and this monkey that's infected with this virus just shows up at her window. What a horrifying scenario. Yeah yeah, but it like you can picture it because it's just a normal looking house. And so then you're like, well what now, Like you know, I'm like, now we've we've cut away from that, but I'm like, wait, what's gonna happen? Is the girl she can open the window? Is it?
Speaker 2: You know, like a lot of great threads keep getting introduced throughout this movie. Yeah, you're right now, I read that Maya Angelou did a rewrite on this.
Speaker 1: I was going to bring that up.
Speaker 2: Yeah, right, And that's one of those things where you read it because I read it in the IMDb trivia m h and I'm like, is that one of those bullshit things that somebody just put there to mess with people? Mm hmm right, because you read that and you're like that sounds ridiculous. But then you're also like, but who would make that up? Well? Did you? Did you look it up? Apparently it is true. It is true.
Speaker 1: The writers talk about it and they said it's during the ending she was she was brought into.
Speaker 2: Punch.
Speaker 1: I feel weird saying that she's trying to punch up dialogue.
Speaker 2: I don't know why, but.
Speaker 1: Their understanding. They said they didn't meet her, but they were told that she uh wrote all sorts of dialogue for the scene at the end the standoff in the helicopter between Hoffman and Yeah, I guess Southerland and Freeman.
Speaker 2: Well, I guess she and Dustin Hoffman collaborated, So I would assume it was his dialogue primarily. But I just kind of loved that data point my Angelou, author of I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings and Outbreak.
Speaker 1: And Outbreak, I know, kind of wild. Yeah, you just like suddenly Dustin Hoffman is just like, you know, a crescent moon illuminates and you're like, what, like, wow, I mean, it's beautiful what he's saying. I just just doesn't seem like it seems like it's in the different movie.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but I guess I read.
Speaker 1: Something else the writers were saying was that Dustin Hoffman had a habit of rewriting his own dialogue while he was filming. And what he would do is he would come up with these things he wanted to say, and he would have them written out on a dry erase board so he could look at them off screen and he would do the take and then as soon as the take was over, he'd go, oh, no, no, I'm sorry, I'm sorry, and the writers were like people would be looking around, like, what's going on with this guy? The article I read, that's all it said, but adding what you said earlier about how insecure he was feeling, that makes complete sense. Fascinating, right, like he's having some instincts, yeah, or at least feeling like I need to bring something to this, but he's not feeling confidence in it. I'd be curious what did stay that he did, because obviously he's a great actor, and I'm sure he has good instincts.
Speaker 2: Well, that's kind of because like, certainly now in twenty twenty five we look at Dustin Hoffmann, he's well, he's one of the best to ever do it, right, but he was very well regarded even back then. Right, So in a weird it's like weirdly comforting to know that even somebody like Dustin Hoffman, it just deals with like do people like me?
Speaker 1: Yeah, Well, there's this whole thing that gets said a lot in writers' rooms where when you're pitching an idea, and every room I've been In every writer I've ever talked to, everyone goes, Okay, this is terrible, but or they'll go, Okay, this is like a this is a really bad idea, but.
Speaker 2: This is the bad version.
Speaker 1: This is the bad version. Yeah, like that sort of everybody does it, and so it is encouraging to know that, Yeah, even people who you would think of like, oh well yeah, but you're brilliant, they're even like, Okay, well this is the bad version, but like we all do it.
Speaker 2: That is comforting. Yeah. So here we go Kevin space So here's well, this is the thing. I what seems odd to me is we never actually see Spacey die. Hmmm. And that seems like he seems like an important enough character that you want to have that, right. That's interesting. I didn't think about it, right, but you're right, yes, he presumably he is dead, you know. I don't think that, you know. Yeah, and yet we never get that death moment. I just I was like, did they maybe shoot it and just like it didn't work or something, you know.
Speaker 1: Or just to I mean, the movie is over two hours, so yeah, I felt like they needed to save time. But we do get this moment here where he's convulsing. Yeah, and Rene Russo accidentally pricks her finger, yes, a needle that had been used on him, and.
Speaker 2: So not for nothing, Robbie, but maybe like, wait till he stops spasming before you have the sharp object next to him, you know.
Speaker 1: And I know it's a movie and you have to have these sorts of things happen. But I mean, going back to what we were saying about writers and or creative types and confidence, I mean, these people are human too, you know, like smart doctors and scientists and whatnot, and they can have get caught up in moments and things that seem obvious in hindsight. It's like, well, on the heat of the moment, maybe you might make one dumb decision.
Speaker 2: One dumb decision. That's gonna be my that's gonna be the title of my autobiography.
Speaker 1: One dumb decision.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it'll be me against a white background with my sleeves rolled up, with your arms crossed, or or are you shrugging like well no, I see myself like looking sternly at camera. Dum decision? What one didn't dumb decision? I like it. I'll read it. Did you watch the Siskel and Eber review of this. No, I didn't, which I know you tend to do that, right, Yeah, what what would they say? Oh? Many were they were going at it? Oh? Really they vehemently disagreed on this one.
Speaker 1: Oh what what were the talking points?
Speaker 2: Well, uh, Cisco was not a fan. Okay, Ebert had a grand old time.
Speaker 1: I can kind of see that.
Speaker 2: Actually, yeah, that that tracks. Yeah, And it was very funny because Ciskel got really hung up on the fact that he's like, Dustin Hoffman looks ridiculous in this you know, the has Matt suit or whatever. And he's like, and he's married to this bombshell, Renee Russo, and it's like, really like, Ebert's like, you know, you called her a bombshell. You know, she's a mature, talented actress. It's like, well, she's a bombshell. It's like and he's like, and you know, he's like, Geene, how else do you he's wearing the hessemensuit. How else do you want to be? Like, I don't know, I'm just saying it looks like, you know, that's how I feel. And I'm telling you, man, Roger was was gonna put Gene in a headlock. I'm gonna watch it sinsor done. Yeah, it felt they were on the cusp. It wasn't quite Benji the hunted level, but it was getting there. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, but but that actually tried. Yeah, that's right, that's.
Speaker 2: Right, that's legendary. Yeah. The if you look at Rotten Tomatoes, right, this sits at like fifty five fifty six on that and that about tracks. If you look at like the major critics split right down the middle.
Speaker 1: I can see that. Yeah, I can see that because it's you have to go in. I can see going in. I did with certain expectations of its I don't know what you want to call it intelligence or something or like how seriously it takes the material. But this isn't exactly that movie. This is really this is a is a popcorn thriller. It is using real world ideas.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So if you go in knowing that, then maybe you can kick back and switch your brain off and have a fun time.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: But if you go in thinking that this is going to actually sort of get into nitty gritty details and truly, what would these types do? This ain't that Yeah.
Speaker 2: Well, you know, the at the time, as we mentioned, you know, they were they were rushing to get this out or into production, you know, before christ in the Hot Zone. And you know that producer Linda opes to this day, she's like, we had the better, uh, we had the better project. We had the better uh, better package, you know, in terms of all the people involvement, and she's saying, we had the better script, right. And I always like I look at like, you know, had that come out, which of the two, would this be thought of as the dumb one or the good one? You know? You know, because like it's like, oh, Dante's Peak and Volcano and you know, Deep Impact and Armageddon, and it's like, well, this is this one and this is this one? You know, like like if you look at Deep Impact and Armageddon, you know, I think both movies have issues, but like Deep Impact is the one that's kind of like more I don't know, thoughtful, thoughtful. Yeah, I was gonna say cerebral. So yeah, you know, even though it's you know it it's not exactly you know, the magnificsen namebers since right. But then there's Armageddon, which is just it's what that movie is, right, right, And so I'm like, which of those was would this one have been.
Speaker 1: You know, probably in my mind the Armageddon.
Speaker 2: Probably probably right, that was my thought.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, which isn't a bad thing.
Speaker 2: No, I think Armageddon, Armageddon. That's a movie that I have not revisited a ton, but I feel like we will probably end up talking through that at some point, right.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, And I haven't seen it in a long time, but if I had to guess, I'd be willing to guess. It was hugely popular when it came out. Yeah, then everybody kind of turned on it and said it was really stupid. But I think it's probably at a moment now where you could watch it and go, well, yeah, it's dumb, but I enjoyed it. Yeah, you know, it's funny how some movies have that life cycle.
Speaker 2: Yeah, right, Armageddon is definitely that. Although I mean I remember seeing it and being like, this movie is pretty dumb. I mean it is. It's an opening day in the theater. Yeah, but it's saw, so I don't know, it's easy to get. I don't know.
Speaker 1: And it feels very much of its time too, like humor very much.
Speaker 2: So yeah. Yeah, so this here is where we sort of like the movie, which is on track as this semi grounded, you know, investigative thriller kind of like goes it goes off roading a little bit. Yes, yes, and it's like, no, we're just gonna do like we're gonna cycle through some action movie tropes. Yes, and so that's that's a jarring.
Speaker 1: Shift, yes, like almost like hijinks. Yes, right, and then we all we get into almost you know, buddy cop style banter between Cuba Gooding and Dustin Hoffman and humor, and yeah, I was a little not thrown, but I was like, oh, oh I didn't. This is not how I remember this movie.
Speaker 2: I guess we're doing this.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, it's just like I say, like the high jinks of stealing this helicopter, it's not like it's handled in a very silly.
Speaker 2: Action movie kind of way. Mm hmm.
Speaker 1: But then you also get the moment that's coming up where they're going to try to locate the monkey and or draw it out, and that feels like that could come from a more serious movie too, where it's like what the realities of like we need that thing, we need to.
Speaker 2: Get the shot.
Speaker 1: This is very tricky, which I really enjoy.
Speaker 2: See that stuff. I'm all on board with, but you know, and once we're dog fighting or whatever, like, you know, it turns into something a little different.
Speaker 1: Well that and I keep saying I'm getting ahead of it, but as long as we're talking about it, Yeah, the whole thing where Morgan Freeman gets on the line with him and it's just like, whatever you do, don't do this thing that could save the day.
Speaker 2: Because that would not be good for us.
Speaker 1: And then you literally get a line from Donald Sutherland who's like, wait a minute, that you're telling them how they can save the day. And I seriously was like, you've got to be kidding me. I mean, I gotta be honest, Like the last act of this movie kind of feels like it was written by twelve year olds. But then you kind of wonder, I mean, we don't know the story. It's easy to say that, and we don't know the story of the making of this movie. I mean, the writers could have turned in some draft and been very happy with it, and Warner Brothers is like.
Speaker 2: Not enough action, And I'm willing to bet every cent in my savings account that that's what happened. Yes, yes, right, because because it's such a clear like digression for everything else, Like I think you could have hit most of the same dramatic beats, but I think Warner Execs, We're probably like, we need some applause moments. And one thing I will say is when I watch this isn't granted it was at a second run theater, but it was a fairly decent sized crowd. I remember, you know when when Morgan Freeman does that thing that you're referring to, you had people in the card like, oh yeah, yeah, yeah, so you know we can we can view things cynically, me like you, Brian, like such as you, well, such as both of us. But I'm like, the movie proved successful at the box office, so clearly they weren't entirely off their rockers for wanting something, you know, more crowd pleasing.
Speaker 1: No, I mean, you just need to know what you're signing up for.
Speaker 2: What you're signing up for you Yeah. And also this feels very of that moment that that very much so, and so I think that's part of it is that's part of why I watched this movie. Uh, and again I haven't seen a ton, but I can feel nostalgic for when movies were like this m M, because it really it does feel like an artifact, you know, totally, totally, and you know you had that funny it's funny bit right here where he's like, should I should I cough on you? In right right.
Speaker 1: Saranda to this one, and in.
Speaker 2: My mind I choose to believe that was a Maya Angelou line where he's like, shall I cough on you? George?
Speaker 1: Actually, I was just thinking of a similar joke where it was like at the end where it's like, wait a minute, you just told them how to save the day. What are you doing?
Speaker 2: Billy? Maya Angelou cut to her like, you know, hitting save on the computer had given herself a high five. Yeah, exactly, nailed it.
Speaker 1: I just thought this was a funny bit of business of this woman here in the coast Guard. I can make a call oh close closer than his wife would like, like what now, she's just an open book. But yeah, because I'll probably forget to say it later. But you have like a similar moment where you have someone well maybe it's not similar, but where you're talking to the pilots of that airplane with the bomb and trying to reason with them and you're.
Speaker 2: Like, man, what would what do you do? You're that pilot.
Speaker 1: You got your orders, but you also could possibly, you know, do the right thing. The history will remember is the right thing, even if it means you get court martials or something. Yeah, and it kind of reminds me, at least in feeling of that moment of the two boats at the end of The Dark Night, which feels a little more weirdly, even though that's a superhero movie, like serious or something, or like real human beings and what do you do. You're looking at the people and you you were the guy who said we should do this, but now it's up to you and maybe you won't do it. Like, but this, you know what I'm saying, Like the tone. It's funny the same sort of thing can be carried out in two different movies and feel like they have two different tones to them.
Speaker 2: That's so interesting. Well, you know worth mentioning that. You know, in its early earliest incarnation, the Batman Versus Superman movie was going to be directed by Wolfgang Peterson. That's right.
Speaker 1: I have that script, but I've never read it, have you?
Speaker 2: I have not read it. Yeah, I should do that. Yeah, he was you know, I think we've said this before, but I mean, you know he did he did Troy, which was a pretty big hit, and then he did Poseidon, which tanked. Yeah. I never saw that. I didn't see it either, but I I for however bad it may have been or how bad it may have done, I'm like, I would think that Wolfgang Peterson could have continued directing. Yeah, right, But it's like he just like called it a career basically in terms of American movies anyway, and that's what he wants, I guess. Yeah. And then yeah, you know, and then he passed away. When was it like two years ago? Oh yeah, it was like twenty It was after we did our track for Air Force one. Mm hm.
Speaker 1: It is interesting, though, I mean I think about that a lot, especially in entertainment. I mean, you have Juror Number two, which just came out, a movie directed by Clint Eastwood, who's in his freaking nineties, crazy right, and you have Morgan Freeman and is I think late eighties now still I mean he's in.
Speaker 2: Well, him and Dustin Offen both.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but there's still Freeman especially, I mean he's in lots of movies. Yeah, you know, it's like they just keep going for the love of the game. And it when most people kind of retire, you know, yeah, you know, at some point in their seventies. So it's just kind of interesting, you know that it seems more rare when we look at it as someone who's in their seventies and entertainment and they retire, we go, oh, I wonder why they did that, you know, because we're so used to seeing so many people just at a good point going until they die.
Speaker 2: I mean, Harrison Ford is in his mid eighties, right, yeah, yeah, he's still doing his thing. You know. Sorry, I'm having a thought here. I was.
Speaker 1: I was wondering, why, Wow, it's really foggy as there he's on this ship, and I'm thinking, oh, it's probably because the ship is parked in real life and they don't want to deal with it, so they had to throw in a line like damn, it's foggy.
Speaker 2: That's really funny.
Speaker 1: My Angelou hit save and said, uh, well, I just save them the deal of having to make that ship move.
Speaker 2: So funny. I'm just picturing my Andrew, you know, smoking chain smoking as she's like cranking out rewrites for Outbreak. You know, you're uh, but yeah, anyway, but I like that.
Speaker 1: Oh, it's kind of funny too, And not to pick on it, but just you know, his movies get bigger and bigger, Like the whole jump from the helicopter to the boat, which is a really exciting thing on paper, just does not look very exciting in this movie.
Speaker 2: That's well in like there's a way to stage it in a way that would I completely agree.
Speaker 1: You're right. I think it's staging. Very lucky that this guy took so many polaroids of thinking.
Speaker 2: I thought it would be really funny if the picture he's got just a ton of pictures of him doing every possible thing with the monkey, Like they're blowing out birthday candles together, they're in the bathtub together with boats and like.
Speaker 1: Just yeah with like bubble beards.
Speaker 2: Yeah exactly, And we just we just get this thing where Hoffman is just flipping through these pictures and the music just gets more and more dramatic. He's just good lord. Oh yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 1: I was just having a moment where I was like, oh man, she shouldn't be around him.
Speaker 2: But she's sick too. Yeah, she's already sick. Although it is it is very like very Hollywood that like she goes through the same gestation process for the virus. As he looks like a goddamn walking dead refugee, she looks.
Speaker 1: Like a bombshell.
Speaker 2: It's so funny because, like I think Renee russo very attractive, very sexy. I would not call her a bombshell. No, that's not what I would.
Speaker 1: Yeah, exactly right, although, yeah, I know I think she's gorgeous.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but it was very funny because it felt like that was that was one of Roger's buttons. I think he was right, he was, he was on the correct side of that, Yeah, right, right, that that is I Jean had a tendency to find these weird things and he just get hung up on them.
Speaker 1: I was almost gonna say that when you were talking about it, when I said that, that tracks their feelings about this. Yeah, Ebert seemed to be able. He was more easily swept up in things, that's right. Where yes, Ciscol would get hung up on certain.
Speaker 2: Hebert's approach was always like I'm going to meet the movie be where it is, and I'm gonna judge it based on that, Like I'm not going to compare this to you know, some some other movie that's of a different genre. You know, so the great Benji the Hunted versus full metal jacket thing, right, Uh, And I I'm biased. I mean I grew up reading Roger and so that's just sort of what what took root in my mind. But like I remember, Ciskel gave it thumbs down to, uh not Austin parers ace Ventura, which I'm actually I'm pretty sure Ebert that thumbs down to. I checked, but he got real hung up on Jim Carrey having this overbite, with this Jim Carrey with this overbyte, and he kept doing this. I want to watch that too.
Speaker 1: By the way, I love this, Like this is a scenario I really enjoy where it's like someone taking over the news because there's this potential catastrophe about that could happen in your town, and like holding up a picture like have you seen this thing called this number? Like that scenario, If I saw that on TV, I would find that frightening.
Speaker 2: Oh absolutely, you know I love that.
Speaker 1: And then I mean in this in particular right where it's like if you see this monkey that looks exactly like this, and you have this mom look over at the refrigerator and this drawing that her daughter's made of that monkey with Kranz, It's like, ah, I love it.
Speaker 2: See. I think we needed the slow motion dish drop to really emphasize.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you're right, you're right, Yeah, she drops a dish. But if you don't do it in slow mowe and see it break, did it ever? Do we have a dish moment at all?
Speaker 2: That's hilarious.
Speaker 1: By the way, I was looking at Rene and Russo as we were talking about her the movie after this Ransom talk about a movie that has just been completely for gotten.
Speaker 2: Dude, percent, I mean you can't watch it. It's not available on streaming or anything. Yeah. Yeah, uh. And my recollection is that it was a pretty damn good movie. I remember I reviewed that from my high school paper. Wow.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I would be willing to bet if you showed it to someone who's been conditioned mostly by more recent movies, it might feel not silly but broader, pulpy or or whatever. But going back to what we're saying about Outbreak in the moment, I'm sure it played like Gangbusters.
Speaker 2: In fact, I think I did that was I mean, that was a like you said, get me back by somedon like people would know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I say that all the time weirdly, like it's just it's something that lives in my brain.
Speaker 2: Mel Gibson was really freaking good in that movie.
Speaker 1: Oh, that's like, Yeah, it's a really it's Ron Howard joint too, which doesn't feel like a Ron Howard movie.
Speaker 2: Yeah. And Delroy Lindo, Delroy Lindo, Yeah, that's help Has Garry Sez. Yeah, it's weird how that And again, that's this weird phenomenon where it's not available on any streaming platform. To the best of my knowledge, I wonder why that is. Yeah, and and well and Cocuon also or Cocoon two? Is it the first one or the second one?
Speaker 1: It might be the first. At least the first one I think is yeah, hard to find.
Speaker 2: So is it just Ron Howard movie? Wasn't that Ron Howard? Also?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I wonder if it's a matter of who owns them or hmmm.
Speaker 2: I have no idea. Well, Ransom is Disney, I know that, you know, it's funny.
Speaker 1: I I wanted to watch, you know, with David Lynch passing recently, I wanted to rewatch some of his movies, and so I was gonna watch Wild at Heart And that movie's really difficult to find. Oh wow, In fact, I don't know that it is available anywhere.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's a lot of stuff like that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and it's it gets held up with you know, whoever owns it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, there's well, you know George Romero's uh uh Down of the Dead the seventies one, that's no streaming platform. Like I got it on physical media. I had to order it from overseas in order to get it. And like, I think it's there's you know, somebody uploaded it to YouTube. But let's see how long that's up there, you know.
Speaker 1: Well, yeah, and you think of that, you associate that with more older films where it's like, oh, some complicated thing they can't work out now because there's been changing of the guards and whatever. Who owns these things. But I just read this morning that Francis Ford Coppola is Megalopolis as of right now, will not have a US hard copy release. So if you are interested in owning that, you have to buy the region free four K from you know, some other country, which is just.
Speaker 2: Well a lot of the time, just you lost me at ore. If you're interested in owning that, I.
Speaker 1: Understand, I understand, but I'm just saying like it it.
Speaker 2: Should have the option, the option should exist.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know you would think that's hilarious. But no, going back what we just kind of talked over, but the uh, what an interesting scenario for this family, right, you know, some military guy shows up and is like, yeah, the monkey that is basically carrying some sort of virus that could wipe out humanity, I need your daughter to lure him out of the woods, right, you know, like that's I like that, that's a And then him having to talk to the girl Hoffmann and reason with her, and she's like.
Speaker 2: Is he is she gonna be hurt? And it's like no, We're gonna put her to sleep and take out all of her organs. She won't feel a thing though exactly yes, yeah, yeah, but I like that.
Speaker 1: You know what I do feel though, I feel like the parents are strangely calm with this scenario.
Speaker 2: I feel like they should. I mean, I know, you need your movie.
Speaker 1: It's like I said, it's already over two hours, but I feel like they needed the convincing more than the daughter in real life would be the situation.
Speaker 2: That's a great point.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because even watching the moms like oh gee, like I hope.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, just be careful.
Speaker 1: It's like, yeah, you're kidding me. If that's my child, i'd be freaking out.
Speaker 2: This like this the monkey equivalent of a nuclear bomb, and you're like, come, you know, hold it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, here, hold out some apples for it.
Speaker 2: But I love the tension in this scene, right, and it's it's kind of remarkable how you can you can find almost greater tension in smaller scenes. I completely agree, right, yep, Because I would offer that this is more tense than the the dogfight business that's about to come up.
Speaker 1: I agree, I agree. I think this is a little more relatable. Yeah, is part of it. You know, there's always something tense about someone needing to take a shot and then something steps in front of them and gets in the way, and there's you know.
Speaker 2: No, you gotta hurry. Yeah, no, this is this is I would say a standout scene.
Speaker 1: I know this is such a silly thought, but I was actually thinking with Cuba Gooding Junior, like show me the money. Everyone knows that, but like that didn't exist in this moment. But like if he were to look back on his career, that would be like a phrase that would almost like define him in sort of a way. It's just funny in this moment.
Speaker 2: He doesn't know that he doesn't he doesn't know what's coming as a young actor, you know, he doesn't know that snow Dogs is coming.
Speaker 1: Is that the movie where they don't talk? Is that the movie where the trailer made it look like the dogs talked, so everybody was excited. And then they saw the movie and the dogs didn't talk.
Speaker 2: I do not know, but that sounds correct.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's like it's a dream sequence, but they or something in the film, but they made the trailer look like that was the movie, him dealing with these funny, sassy dogs, and then they showed up, and that's not the movie at all. He didn't know that. Zaki did know that was gonna happen.
Speaker 2: What was that I remember he was on. Was it called boat trip or something?
Speaker 1: Or wait? Am I thinking of kangaroo Jack? You may be okay anyway, Sorry, what were saying?
Speaker 2: It was a it was like boat trip?
Speaker 1: Yeah, or it's like, yeah, two guys accidentally go on a gay cruise?
Speaker 2: Was that what this one was? Boat trip? I just know the I remember the poster with him. It was him in Horatio Sands. Yeah, I think it's like a big gay panic movie or something.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he didn't know. He didn't know, Zach, he didn't know that was coming.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, okay, yes see I just pulled it up on on on Wikipedia, and yes, it is indeed gay panic movie. You ever been in a you ever been in a helicopter like a huie like this a huie. Know. I have been in a helicopter, though, and it was really cool. Have you? I have not. I find it frightening.
Speaker 1: Understandable. Yeah, when you look at them, they seem very fragile. Yeah, and there's a lot of things that could go wrong. But I've just always thought helicopters were amazing and not like I went on some super exciting version. It was like Branson, Missouri or something, and you know, a tour over a lake or something. But you got to put the headset on and talk. And I remember my brother kept saying me and my brother kept being like, you see the lake over? You know, yes, I do see the lake over like a bunch of jackasses. And I'm sure the pilot was like, just kill me, kill me or copy. We're probably saying copy funny, but yeah, you know, something I I dig is seeing like the second unit of these real vehicles here. Yeah, you know, it feels like you might take a little more shortcuts when you can these days, because you can afford it, and effects look as good as they do. But there's just something about the lumbering weight of that big plane with the bomb on it and these helicopters where it just feels, I don't know, hard you like filming all of this, and there's something about that.
Speaker 2: I appreciate see all this stuff here. Yeah, appreciation of the second unit I outstanding, which I concur with you on. But it's such a weird diversion from what this movie is actually supposed to be about. Definitely right, And given that this movie is is, you know, twoh eight, you could have easily cut out all of this business with Daniels and Salt being chased by you know, McClintock's you know, helicopter whatever and just get right to the showdown with the bomber. I completely agree.
Speaker 1: I think honestly, what might be more effective is if you saw Dustin Hoffman in a dim lit room, sweat on his brow close ups trying to talk that plane down. Yeah, yeah, I think that, Yeah, so this is this. I mean, I do appreciate this because it's difficult, like when they put the plane going under the bridge kind of like Terminator or two. But I will say I'm going to speak out of both sides of my mouth. I also don't find this scene very exciting.
Speaker 2: No, I agree with you. Yeah, yeah, well, I think the reason for that is because it exists outside of the world the rest of the film has attempted to create. Mm hmm. Right, Like again we're talking about it. This is the whole movie is kind of heightened, and it is, and you know, but like there there's the appearance of being somewhat grounded, and then and then we get this very obvious rear projection and helicopters firing and stuff, and it's just kind of yeah, you're like, Okay, well, I know Dustin Hoffen is not gonna die here.
Speaker 1: Yeah, right, I don't know, going back to what you said, are I don't know that it's stage very.
Speaker 2: Well Yeah, no, I think I think that's part of it.
Speaker 1: Like I'm not really tracking what's happening or this the oh I don't want him to reach here or if that guy gets there, that's bad. Like, I'm not feeling any of that.
Speaker 2: I'm just watching second unit of Helicopters, you know, kind of cut together. Well, I think part okay, so we know, we know that our guys are not gonna get killed, right, So that that's one element of drama that's removed. So then you say, okay, well then we should have a ticking clock, right, and and that's where I think, like, you know, you could have maybe heightened this idea that that Renee Russo is dying and she's got this much time before a vaccine won't work or something, you know, something like that, totally right. And then and then we're in a situation where the clock is ticking, and so every every second of delay, that's what we're like, come on, come on, you know, hurry.
Speaker 1: That's a great, great point, Zachie. Yeah, because then you get this business here where they fake their they start the forest fire that ends up burning down all all of the northern California. They're really good at point I was like, hey, come on, we got enough problems in it. That should be the after credits sequence. You know, this blaze is getting out of control, it's a outbreak.
Speaker 2: Well, as a result, they burning down this fire. They unearthed some some hidden animal that has its own virus inside. There you go, that's even better.
Speaker 1: I was gonna just say, yeah, the second movie is about trying to put out the fire, but you're that's even better. That's on brand here.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's that's the post credit scene, you know. Yeah, that's funny. Yeah. This whole thing, like with with the helicopter flying low and again, it's just it feels like it's in the wrong movie.
Speaker 1: You know, you're toltally that whole thing, You're right, that could all be lifted and we wouldn't ess.
Speaker 2: It like it wouldn't impact the drama, you know.
Speaker 1: No, no, yeah, you could literally do the exhale of the whole getting the dart and to the monkey and then cut to this shot we're seeing right here.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and and that's about five minutes that you could save.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and just like go go go, we don't have time. My wife is dying, you know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, and that's all be like your wife's air okay, ex wife, and then that would be you know yeah, yeah, exactly, m yeah, yeah, that could be our fan edit. Let's do like the tofer Grace version exactly. Yes, he's like lesser known movies.
Speaker 1: Yeah, which he did a fan at it of the first the prequels, right, he turned the three movies.
Speaker 2: Into one, yes? Or was that the Hobbit?
Speaker 1: I'm I know he did Star Wars for sure.
Speaker 2: He may have done the Hobbit also. I feel like he did the Hobbit also.
Speaker 1: But yeah, it was one of those things where he'd screen it for friends and stuff and people would talk about how brilliant it was and I'm like.
Speaker 2: Well, I want to see it. Yeah, seriously, this is a this is a good scene. This is I agree.
Speaker 1: You know, you got like a couple and the relationship is ending and they've been through all this together and she's dying and he's got you know, we know she's contagious, and he's got the has Matt suit on, but he takes the mask off.
Speaker 2: I love it. What a guy. Now there's a man, Brian, there's a man.
Speaker 1: That's like, you know, you hear that thing. It's like a meme basically where a girlfriend asks the boyfriend, would you love me if I was a worm?
Speaker 2: Do you know this? No? Like, would you still love me if I was a worm? You know?
Speaker 1: Kind of like these weird situations where it's like I, yeah, you know, kind of like answers. This is like would you love me if I had like a flesh eating virus and I was contagious and you wearing a hazmat suit?
Speaker 2: Would you take the helmet off? Uh? It's a note from me. As I lean forward into the Mike Simon Cowell style, that's a note from me. Yeah. See, I can easily see Harrison Ford playing this role, Yes, I could. I could even see mid nineties Mel Gibson playing this role definitely, So I can see that being the You know, it's harder for me to see stallone. You know, I feel bad, I'm like picking on stallone. He's good at what he's good at.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but I agree with you, well, you at a great point where it's like we never think he could lose. I gotta admit I'm a little curious to see the Harrison Ford version, just to see the different kind of energy and what he brings. And but I think ultimately Hoffman.
Speaker 2: Is the right choice. Hoffman is the right choice. But I feel like Harrison Ford had had that unique presence where you believed he could throw up bunch. But you also believed he was sensitive and smart. Yeah, that's a trick man, like Harrison Ford was a unicorn. Yeah at his prime, what he was able to convey and why audiences wanted to see him. M hmm, it's amazing, you know.
Speaker 1: You know, it's so funny. I just saw a picture of him with Clista Flockhart on Reddit or something, and I think he was in his eighties, and I was like, damn it, that's a handsome guy. I'm telling I mean, he's just like you said. I mean, he's he's a unicorn.
Speaker 2: He's yeah, and he's one of those people.
Speaker 1: I mean, I don't think people say this very often. He he's a compelling actor, but is he an actor with a lot of range? I don't really know that he is, to be honest, but the thing he does, we all love it.
Speaker 2: Well, here's what we know. Wolfgang Peterson wouldn't have had to act out how to turn towards camera per Dustin Hoffman. Harrison Ford would have know how to do that. Like that. I find that interesting, right, Like Dustin Hoffman occupying a very different lane than Harrison Ford, but he felt very he felt self conscious enough to verbalize that.
Speaker 1: I mean that specific thing, like tell me how to turn That is just like clearly someone who's in their head.
Speaker 2: Yeah. You know what's interesting, by the way, is that originally Dustin Hoffman was gonna be in Blade Runner, and then he backed out and and it went to Harrison Ford. Wow, talk about different, Like what would that movie be?
Speaker 1: Like, you know, I can picture that, But like I just said about this movie, that's not the version I want.
Speaker 2: Yeah, right, I think things sort of went the way they needed to, by the way, So so yes, Dustin Hoffman did this grand romantic gesture exposing himself to his wife here, and then the vaccine or whatever it is you know, comes in and he holds her up to it.
Speaker 1: It would be kind of funny if he's like, I'll take that first. There's two bags, right, we have two.
Speaker 2: Bags of orse. They plug it in and she starts convulsing, and he's just like, oh, right, I made a mistake. Had he had a lot pinned on that vaccine working, you know he did? Yes, Now, what's funny about this this standoff scene with the with the bomber, which I think as as a piece of drama, I think it works for the most part, But there's an episode of the Clerk's animated series about an outbreak Okay that uses this exact thing. Oh really, where it's like Dante is trying to get through to the bombers before they bombed the town. And I'm pretty sure the pilot on the bomber is voiced by Brian Cranston, by the way, oh funny, and and uh, he's like we're all here, you know. He's like, uh, you know, we have a cure whatever. Uh. And he's like, my name is Dante, and then like Randall pipes up. He's like and he's gay. He's like, no, I'm not, you know. And then and then the bomber pilot voice by Brian Cranston's like, Dante, are you gay? If you are, you should feel willing to, you know, come out or whatever. Like is this whole thing that's so funny? He is it?
Speaker 1: Because I just watched DoD Day Afternoon for the first time last night, and there's that whole moment where they say that the police say, oh, yeah, there's two gay men inside the bank robbing, and the one guy's like what, like no, tell them, Like his whole thing becomes obsessed with telling them that he's not gay or whatever. That's weird. The overlap that's happening right now is very strange.
Speaker 2: To me, you know. But in that vein, I could I could have seen Pacino playing the Hoffman role in this movie. I can see that too. Very different energy, but I can see that. I could see that. Yeah, old Town gonna die. I gotta tell you, the helmet's coming off it. I'm here with you. Go shoot, what do you gotta say? Smack? I like that me too. So originally this movie is supposed to end with them dropping the bomb on the town. If this had been made in the seventies, that's the ending we would have gotten. See, Well, that's the point. I'm like, I don't even understand that, because I don't know how the movie that we've seen up to this point could end that way.
Speaker 1: No, I no, no, I can appreciate a movie that does that.
Speaker 2: If it had led to that.
Speaker 1: Type of an ending, that's the point. It's making a point. But here it would just feel like being subversive for subversive sake.
Speaker 2: Like what I read is that it was not only scripted that way, but the effects with the bomb detonating the water. It was originally showing that it was the town being destroyed, and after test screenings they changed it. What which I don't again I'm not understanding that. No, right, so what's the ending? Like, I mean, believe in nothing the everything this guy hero work for you, Like, it doesn't make sense to me. Like maybe maybe the town blows up and there's a like, you know, the word gets out and you know, McClintock goes to prison or something like that.
Speaker 1: Or I could maybe see then Dustin Hoffin being like damn it, you know, like they like it turns into a this is what could happen, you know kind of thing like if you know you don't you're not paying attention and if you don't listen to the doctor's telling you, you know, like they might blow up your town. Yeah, maybe I can kind of see that, Oh this is this that's like Billy.
Speaker 2: Just told him how to stop the Oh well, well then Billy, are you dumb or something?
Speaker 1: You just told him how to stop.
Speaker 2: The That's like for the audience, I feel like, for the for the for the slower on the uptake people in the audience, you know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that feels like you kick the writers out of the room. You're like, look, this is what we need to happen. Just pay someone twenty thousand dollars to rewrite the third act. And some executive is like saying, like, all right, get this down, and he's like, you know, does a line.
Speaker 2: Like Billy, are you dumb or something? He almost blew up the oh and then he realizes and the guy just collecting the checks like huh huh, like writing it down to the leftop. But I think this idea of of the the moral contest here that's effective dramatically. Yes, I don't think you need Morgan Freeman to be like so definitely don't be rut in front of them, say me understand.
Speaker 1: You know, yeah we are you saying then sorry, because I was sort of half reading h if they just did it on their own volition yeah, or or we will. We are getting in your way. You are going to have to get through us first, instead of needing to be told that that was going.
Speaker 2: To have a conversation between Salt and Daniels. Assault is like, sir, if we're in their glide path, there's no way they can get around us. And then Hoffin's like, and then they can't drop the bomb. You know, yeah, do it. Yeah, that's what you're right.
Speaker 1: Like, it's like, yeah, but these guys have orders and there's a real chance that they might plow through us anyway, Like, do it. I don't care if there's a chance.
Speaker 2: See, I'm sure the filmmakers are like, we also need to really clarify that that, you know, Billy is on the side of the angels, right, mm hmm. But I think you could do that just as well by having the people in that bunker being like, sir, he's in the glidepath that they like they can't move, and you just cut to Billy and he's smiling, you know, exactly exactly.
Speaker 1: I see.
Speaker 2: I would like that. Yeah, I feel like that would.
Speaker 1: Work better, and that's probably more likely what they would do.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 1: I feel like audiences scrutinize even harder as time marches on. Right, audiences are less willing to swallow like on the nose types of dialogue.
Speaker 2: And but again, I will say, I remember watching this and Theena and that Booley are you dumb or something? You just told him and people in the audience, so yeah, hey worked on that level.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know what, But again, yeah, we're judging something that was made for nineteen ninety five.
Speaker 2: Yeah, a very dumb time. We were a stupid stupid people, weren't we, Brian, We know we were there, We lived it. We were dumb.
Speaker 1: Oh man, is there any like who could like rile more feelings inside of you? What actor taking a microphone and being like you will stand down? Yeah right, you know, like Margan Freeman saying that is like, yes, sir, you will place mclinn talk under arrest damn.
Speaker 2: And then and then our guy gets the satisfaction of arresting him. That's what I'm saying, Man, be careful who you piss off on the way up, because you gotta pass him on the way down. That's right, That's right.
Speaker 1: And I love the Sutherland even addresses it like you're loving this.
Speaker 2: Aren't you? He was you know, he was a singular presence. Donald Sotherland, you know we'll never see his kind again, you know, absolutely? Yeah, So Dale died that that actor. He's also in JFK in the sequence with with Donald, Like Donald Southerland has the flashback, you know, Oh funny, and he's the guy he's giving Sutherland orders. So it's just.
Speaker 1: You know, it's funny. I almost because that's the movie we're watching at the moment. Like I almost wish that the Dale Dye had had some sort of snarky lineback or repeated something ironically back to Sutherland.
Speaker 2: But it makes more sense that someone in his position wouldn't get more stoic. Yeah, and he's like a military advisor, so he would know, yeah, yeah, exactly, look at look at that bombshell, Rene Russo. Now again, bear in mind she she's, you know, more than twenty four hours into this thing, which is liquefying your organs. That's true.
Speaker 1: What is not being reversed inside of her?
Speaker 2: Right now?
Speaker 1: That's It's like, that is a really good point, Zachi.
Speaker 2: Right, Like the movie is really escalating the speed for the process of the virus and how quickly it can be undone, because I think I think once your organs are liquefied or that process has begun, I don't think you just caught a sort of you know, you can't do like the hit fifteen seconds back button.
Speaker 1: And you know what they should have done is they should have shown the insides kind of like Allah three kings and you see them melting. But then once she takes the stuff, it's like Terminator two with like the mercury, you know, liquid stuff like finding one another and reforming into a solid shape.
Speaker 2: And we see her heart like like I like the flowers from e te reblooming or whatever. You don't see that, you know.
Speaker 1: What I would have loved is like, uh, oh, thank god, you're doing all right?
Speaker 2: It worked? It worked?
Speaker 1: Did they get it in time to Kevin Spacey? And we just see in the foreground, like his gurney with him completely dead, like like being wheeled past. She's like, I sure, hope, So I'm sure they did credits with the machine. It's being wheeled past.
Speaker 2: Oh man, wow, it's over. Yeah, the credits are rolling all right. So outbreak thirty years later, what are we thinking? Uh?
Speaker 1: Sorry, I know what you're getting into. This is a complete mid nineties popcorn flick.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I didn't quite know that when I was getting back into it, and I was a little like, what but watching it now here with you and enjoying the parts that are enjoyable and kind of laughing at the parts that are laughable, like total fun throwback.
Speaker 2: It's very much of an era. And that's one thing that you know, I I am tickled whenever I get a chance to sort of dip back into the way blockbusters used to be. You know, and I say this all the time, like normalize mid budget movies with mid budget expectations. Totally and you know it. I think it hard arkens back to a time we're going to the movies was a primary, you know, source of entertainment, and so people would go and there was more of an opportunity for a diverse slate of things like this. Totally, totally right. I mean when we look at the type the movies that are turning thirty this year, there's only one superhero in the mix, and that's that's a Batman. Wow. Yeah, I guess judge dread. So let's say one and a half superheroes. Sure, sure, but you know you got your water World, you got your Apollo thirteen, you got your you know, you got your this right here mm hmmm hm, a lot of diverse, diverse and I appreciate that. Yep, yeah, definitely yes, but hey, you know this is this is definitely it has a different flavor now five years post pandemic, I will say that it's true.
Speaker 1: Yep, yep, it plays. You bring new things to it that maybe you would not have in twenty nineteen.
Speaker 2: That's very true. But hey, let us know. Let us know your thoughts about Outbreak. Is this your first time watching it, or are you revisiting it? Or just are you listening to our thoughts? What did you think? You can email us at moviefilm podcast at gmail dot com. You can also hit like on our Facebook page Facebook dot com slash moviefilm podcast and message us there. We also have a Patreon page Bran, Yes, sir.
Speaker 1: If you head over to patreon dot com slash moviefilm podcast and hit subscribe for only five dollars a month, you'll find every commentary we've ever done, and every episode and commentary we do moving forward, absolutely ad free. The money also helps support us and help sustain producing this show, So if you're interested in able, please head over to Patreon dot com slash moviefilm podcast and subscribe.
Speaker 2: We'd be very grateful, We certainly would. Yeah, And if you're looking for us outside of the show, you can find me on social media at Zaki's Corner. That's the a Ki S Corner. You can find me on Blue Sky and Threads and Instagram. I'm also right for the San Francisco Chronicle and The Rap and IGN and you can look for my reviews there. Brian, anything you want to hype up?
Speaker 1: Yeah, episodes I've written of Puppy Dog Pals and Young Jedi Adventures are available to stream on Disney Plus.
Speaker 2: Here we go, and with that on behalf of my partner Brian holl. My name is Zachie Hasa. This has been our movie film commentary for Outbreak. We'll catch you next time. Thanks folks,