Speaker 1: Hey, I'm Auntie and I'm right and we're spirals. So welcome to episode ninety seven. I've been fighting a stomach bug all week, but I'm going to do my best here today. Finally starting to fill like myself.
Speaker 2: Like that's good.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So anyways, the big, big, big news is of course that we have a new single.
Speaker 2: Now. Yeah, it's been out for right now, a little over a week by the time bridges you at least a week and a half or so. It's entitled Okay, and hopefully you guys have already seen it. We've been promoted Andie's been promoted it. We have the videos, the visualizer, lyric videos out.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, we'll go through all of that one by one, okay. Yeah. So the crazy thing was we really had to rush to get this song completed to fulfill that one single per month promise that we had made.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I came out right at the end of the month.
Speaker 1: We barely made it so that we didn't have our normal two week rollout.
Speaker 2: We you guys wouldn't notice that, Yeah, no, probably not.
Speaker 1: But so like, technically we should give the digital distributor two weeks to get the single out, you know, to like Spotify and Apple and all those things. But we only gave him just barely a week, so we were not even totally sure that it was going to happen.
Speaker 2: On the day that we checked. Well, you could select what date. We took the soonest one, and it kind of slowly rolled out that day.
Speaker 1: Well, we took the soonest Friday.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the soon as Friday.
Speaker 1: Soon it's Friday. And like you also may not know this, but when things are coming out on Friday, generally you'll actually see him pop up on Thursday nights.
Speaker 2: For US West Coast, that would be nine pm Pacific time, which is midnight on the East Coast. Technically Friday.
Speaker 1: There totally so on Thursdays, So on Thursday night, Thursday. See, it was supposed to come out the twenty six, so on the twenty fifth, and even the twenty fifth, we we clicked over to Apple. Wasn't there yet?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: I found it on Spotify. They were prompt yeat, like, oh, is it not going to come out on Apple?
Speaker 2: How long will it take? Will it take a week? We'll take a day.
Speaker 1: We had no idea, so weirdly I woke up at like four a.
Speaker 2: Yeah, random, this doesn't usually happen.
Speaker 1: I started at four am on on Friday, and I and we have Apple TV in our bedroom, so I went and I clicked it on and I found it so Apple Music.
Speaker 2: Go back to sleep and sleep a little bit better now, yeh know. We we like listened to it three times.
Speaker 1: We did, yeah, I don't fully remember. And we even went over we went onto to YouTube too and also listen to it on there, like you were like comparing it for a Yeah, it's funny. And also that was I think it was the first time I went ahead and pushed the band camp page live on Thursday night, like before we went to bed. I was like, you know what, I'm just gonna go ahead and push it live so that when people wake up, like even if they wake up, say in Australia or whatever, they'll have it on Friday morning. So that was kind of fun. That was a little bit different. I don't have like a ton of news this time.
Speaker 2: That means we'll have a slightly less than long episode.
Speaker 1: Probably maybe we have a lot of a listener commerce Yeah, yeah, I guess first should we should we talk a little bit about like our influences and stuff that went into.
Speaker 2: Okay, like yeah. Once we were finishing up Boss Mode, I was looking into my little our little cachet of songs I kind of got started and Logic Pro and I went through a few months ago and kind of color code rank them which ones I thought their most promising. This one was like second tier. Okay, But when I heard it again, like more recently, because we're probably the last listener and worked on it like a year or so ago. Anyway, I heard it this time, like like a month and a half or so ago, I go, oh, well, I heard a lot of promise with this one. I hear something really magical in the song. It was my quest to like fulfill that promise that I saw and the rough demo. So that's the one we went for. And I'm glad we waited on this one too, rather than released it last year. It would have been half as good. I think every time we make a new song, go, yeah, this one's awesome, this one's amazing.
Speaker 1: I know, it's kind of embarrassing when we look back on I really.
Speaker 2: Think on this one, okay, I think this might be one of our finest productions.
Speaker 1: I mean, at the risk of being Crims again, but we were like, wow, Bossmo is so great, like how were we gonna do something like at Mossmo quality? But then like kind of Newmanon has been like our.
Speaker 2: Kind of gold standard, yeah, our high production value of where we've been in recent times.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, because like every time we go to work, it's like, oh, is it gonna end up being as good as Numanon? But this time after we you know, when we were doing the listening on Apple, I think I think even that night maybe we also listened to Newmanon after we you know, heard okay a couple of times and we're like, oh.
Speaker 2: Shoot, I think we top Numana.
Speaker 1: I know, like you know, not even talking about like songwriting or whatever, but just like the way the over all production and the masters and stuff sound.
Speaker 2: About the whole thing holistically.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, Like okay, it's just like it is lush.
Speaker 2: Yeah great. I really went for the lush af on this one noon like restrained lushness, but this one we just wanted like lush and sexy, you know, total highest degrees of both of those out.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so funny. I all I really remember is that we started once again, we started with recording the chorus.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we got that.
Speaker 1: To where we wanted it and like trying to figure out, you know, which is the main which is the main top line vocal, and which is the backing vocal.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Once we had that established, it seemed like it was easier to go forward from there.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Normally we would track like the main vocal, like which is generally like my natural tone. Normally we would track that all the way through and then like on another day, come back into the high harmonies. This time we did both and the same. It was like a writing and recording session like I had, I had the poet tree, but I really didn't know what my melodies were going to be, and we like we really cramped and did the whole thing.
Speaker 2: That's kind of weird. Like a lot of our we were writing songs, the production and songwriting are kind of often one and the same, meaning that very rarely for us. As a song like rehearsed, you know, like we practiced it. We know, it's just a matter of going to the studio and just doing it, you know, for the in front of the microphone and getting all down.
Speaker 1: I don't think that's exactly true. It depends. Like when we're doing albums, I end up having a lot of time, like to learn a song. These you're kind of writing all these singles, you're.
Speaker 2: Kind of coming up with the melodies and how you're going to deliver it as we're just kind of put you in front of and hearing it for the first time.
Speaker 1: For sure. Yeah, I did end up coming with something a little bit, a little bit on the fly that there's like a little spoken part, oh yeah, yeah, and the bridge.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, not melodic word wrap.
Speaker 1: It's not exactly a rabbit.
Speaker 2: Listen for if you think Angie's voice is particularly like warm and sexy on this one, which I think it is. Part of it was your performance or delivery and parts. We switched back to an older PREMP pre amp microphone PREMP that we haven't used in a long time. But yeah, I've made some adjustments on how I mic you up so that we can go back to using this pramp. Before it was just it was too warm and before, but now I think we got it so we can use it. And I think we're gonna keep using this one from now because your voice sounds like hot on this song, so we're gonna roll with the vitas for a while.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that was one of the things that we're working on, like what, you know, what what should the vulbal sound like on this? And it's like, you know, I just I want it to be like very intimate, very sexy. Didn't you also change something about the microphone the.
Speaker 2: Directional Yeah, that's a basic day, okay for a nerd tip here. Yeah, when we were first using the vitas Fi preamp with her mic, we're using the mic. It's a multi pattern mic. We're using it in cardioid, probably the most common mic pattern for microphones anyway, Carter. It has a a when you're up close to it, there's a what's called proximity effect, which means a base is you know, the lower frequencies are louder than the higher ones. It's kind of boomy. If you flip it into omni, most of that proximity effect is gone. Still there, but just like maybe ten. So that's the secret to recording you close up with that mic is put it on an omni. But for omni you need to excuse me. Your room can't sound like crap because it picks up all directions. So it's got to have a quiet room. And that was the secret there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Yeah, gotta pick the right hour to record.
Speaker 2: At That's that's always true here in this home. Stood, it's a crazy nonsense going on. I'm surprised not going on right now as we recording.
Speaker 1: I know we really liked that. Yeah, but you know, we couldn't have done this yesterday on fourth of July sort of a way too many explosions. Yeah, but today, so yeah, that was that was. That was a fun song to track and to mix, and it came together like quickly and in a way that we really enjoyed. And so yeah. So, like I said, I didn't have as much time to roll out, but I tried to do all the same things I normally do, Like I made like a little teaser clip and got that on Instagram and YouTube.
Speaker 2: Excited.
Speaker 1: Yeah, people got really excited. So I was gonna share a couple of the comments for Funzi.
Speaker 2: From the teaser clip. Yeah, I do it.
Speaker 1: I don't know if you remember last time Crystal had said st Crystal comment again also another fire track. Income Yes, and let's see.
Speaker 2: That we love hearing stuff like this. These are the first comments we hear, you know, from the teasers. Exactly.
Speaker 1: I know this is just a teaser.
Speaker 3: Damn.
Speaker 1: I am looking forward to this one that's Sheen and Cuckoo. Oh. This guy, Moustafa Faris, This guy is awesome. He said this song is gonna rule. I remember he is actually the guy that had said on Boss Mode that we needed to do more and you need to do more at Grapped and I said, I'll see what I can do. Yeah, I did kind of think of when I was doing that spoken let's see. Oh and this guy be really excited. Big Sonic Heavin Radio said we're so looking forward to it, and that was on the YouTube teaser and then over on the Instagram one, I saw this sounds absolutely amazing Big Sonic Jim, Oh cool. Yeah that was so hopefully we'll end up on Big Sonic Radio at some point. So yeah. So then when the full track came out, Oh yeah, okay, so remember.
Speaker 2: Mastofa Yeha made a comment on the full track. Yeah, how was his review with the final.
Speaker 1: Song, This is the best thing I've ever heard, the.
Speaker 2: Best thing he's ever hed. Awesome, it might be the best Love Spirals song I've ever heard. Let's say the whole thing.
Speaker 1: Okay, Yeah, so I told him this is the best comment I've ever read.
Speaker 2: Yeah, awesome, indeed.
Speaker 1: Okay's over over on Instagram, and I guess they didn't get the full track. It was like, you know, I give them the links so they can go check it out band camp or whatever.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So this is the first time I've ever seen people responding with gifts.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so the very first comment was a gift of a girl driving in the rain, and I was like, oh, it's so accurate. Another person posted a guy with headphones on. He appeared to be having what I would call him eargalzo. Oh.
Speaker 2: Yes, she was awesome.
Speaker 1: Sexy Missus Belgrave said love the vibe. Oh and fallon Marie Yeah she said, Look, she said, love the new song. Been playing it all day? Okay, yeah. Chris Patterson said love it and have it on a couple of my playlists. That was awesome, I know. And Medea's Systema said so deep and wonderful. I love it, And that was over on the the LSD official YouTube account, and someone else over there said this is nostalgic in super curious what it was nostalgic of their name was like Luma's abaton.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean stylistically, it doesn't like anything that we like from my nineties era or anything like that. But it's still comes from the same emotional place more or less. You know, that hasn't changed too much. I mean, like I've learned, you know, new production, technically, got new gear, all that stuff, but the same heart is still here. You know.
Speaker 1: I think the fact that you've got like that super dream pop guitar and like that shoegazory emo, yeah, mixed with a modern electronica framework, that's.
Speaker 2: A great way to describe it. Yeah, that is.
Speaker 1: I mean, if that's not a direct line from Flux, I don't know what is.
Speaker 2: You know, it has brand Brandon from Restless Mosaics, and you try to describe her sound dream pop plus yeah plus, and that plus can be whatever we're into that at that. Yeah, but usually yeah, like trapper or something. Who knows.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't know exactly how it would describe the electronica beats and stuff on this one. You know, it's I think it is kind of like the kind of chill up but also kind of like the more chill K pop electronica that we like.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's kind of a blend of that chill out and chill K pop electronica. Yeah, is that the last comment, I have one more.
Speaker 1: Someone said just as good as Boss Mode. You killed it.
Speaker 2: Awesome. This is cool, guys, So thanks for sharing your comments. Really it's yeah, I don't know if I said it before, but yeah, making music here is a very just, you know, just you and me experience. There's not other people here. There's no like other musicians. There's no like solitary audio engineers or producers besides me and her. Yeah. So it's it's so weird, like we've spent like, we spend so much time, you know, hours, months, sometimes years on a song and it's just it's just us and finally it gets out to the world and other people are experiencing it. It's just it's just so like awesome and just I don't know what the right word is, almost exhilarating to hear that it's doing cool things to other people.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, absolutely.
Speaker 2: So that's part of the reward there. You know, we're not like a top forty band. You know, we're not writing songs for Beyonce or Taylor Swift or something like that. You know, we're not getting rich off this is what I'm saying. So part of the riches for us, like internal rewards rather than external things, you know, So getting that eternal now, what's that called, like adrenaline hit? Like this is best?
Speaker 1: Yeah, in fact, like just to show how different we are from someone like you know, what'd you say, Beyonce? Yeah, we're we're knocking on six thousand streams of okay, rights.
Speaker 2: That's great. I usually have the rule of thumb, and you know, we usually do about ten k in a four week period or something like that. So I just turned on silence all notifications in case you heard a beat. Great.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, I was gonna say. I think I don't know for sure, but I think it's possible that only having that you know, that quick run time to it coming out on Spotify, that may have contributed to like the kind of a slower take. Like I noticed that it was like sixty five percent of the streams in that first week we're coming directly from like our what do they call it? Come from our profile and and like there was barely any coming from the algorithm playlist. But as of this weekend now it's up to twenty seven percents coming from the algorithm. So finally, the algorithm's kind of starting to.
Speaker 2: So as being like people like to tweak and be scientific. Yeah, maybe next times we won't do the quick worldout. We'll let it have the full two weeks. Yeah, helps, it's algorithm out somehow, we don't know.
Speaker 1: It wouldn't kill us to have it come out in July. Then it would have come out this week where even more people are on vacation.
Speaker 2: To get out. Yeah, that came out yes of last Friday. Useless. Yeah, so I had to come out when it did basically kind of did.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's why we just because we had, you know, and like we could have cout remixing the song over and over, but I don't think we needed to. When we did everything we wanted to do.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't know if it could have been that much better. I mean, it's the thing. Once you hit it, Once your mix hits a certain level of greatness, you can I mean that's I'm not saying it smoothness, you know what I'm saying. You can keep working. You could spend another like say another week, like a forty hour week of mixing it, and you might get maybe one to two percent of improvement. It's like diminishing returns at that point. And then sometimes you can start overthinking it and maybe sometimes make it even worse, you know, I'm sure. So we try to get that spot where we quit when we know it's a really good mix and all the problems. Like we have a little list of things we want to hit up, you know, and we hit those all and and once we were satisfied, then we all right, that's when you're done.
Speaker 1: Sort of totally. Yeah. Yeah, so you know, people are starting to listen to it. It's getting into like silver seven hundred playlists blah blah blah. I saw when we get like nine streams in South Korea this time.
Speaker 2: So far we're getting there that Boss was up to like fifty or so. Yeah, that's where our big goals in South Korea to really discover our music. So if you happen to be one of the rare South Korean listeners, no, I want to know who the word Let them know. We're into bands like like ex Monster x XO, stuff like that, you know.
Speaker 1: Definitely Jimmy Brown speaking of Cold Young Young we're gonna go see tomorrow.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we will already seen him by this time comes out.
Speaker 1: Yeah, do you want to talk about the cover photo?
Speaker 2: All's just another of my series, like we talked about the last few episodes, you know of us when we go out to some interesting places, they're already set up all nice, and I do my weird color smearing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, this time, that seemed to be the only photo in the set that looked precisely like them. I was like, no before and after shot.
Speaker 2: I had high helpes when I took that photo. That's why I put it in a little We have a folder that we share of the ones I'm really stoked on, and I thought that could one day end up being an album.
Speaker 1: So I love it. I think I tried to make it a cover for I think I tried that one on Boss Mode and then I'm glad we went with the one that we did. Yeah, So anyways, Yeah, so I really loved this photo and I was I just couldn't wait to use it for a cover. I like the song a lot, and it would have been cool to do like a full on music video like we did for Newmanah. But that's just like it took so much more time.
Speaker 2: Post Rosso was kind of a longer song, knocking on almost four minutes. That's long because it was like two fifty eight or something like that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that would have been easier.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So I just tried to think of a new way to use the the the art, like I've been using kind of like the same liquidy looking effect for quite a few and in the lyric visualizer yeah, and the lyric visualizer yeah, and you know, I got a kind of a different look for Bossmo. But yeah, so I played around with some different effects and I really like, I really liked the ones I ended up coming up with, Like the way that the that the photo was these bands of color. I felt like, yeah, things I chose and the way that I had the graphics going back and forth like and and I really like how it turned out.
Speaker 2: So he's got some ideas. We got to take some new photos. I wonder if I could do something in here with the lights all moody at night, Maybe have a guitar and a stand and so you have like a guitar and lights getting all smared. I might try that out one day.
Speaker 1: Is that for the show?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Okay, Yeah, I was telling him the other day. I was like, Bro, we finally need to take some more bandag here.
Speaker 2: We have the advantage of props that we can't carry with us to other places, and then we have some cool lighting here. You know, I can make this room way moodier than this.
Speaker 1: Even so all as evidenced in the download video.
Speaker 2: Yeah exactly. Yeah, so yeah, I might try that. You know, I could lose. Really yeah, I think I could do if I'm persistent and patient.
Speaker 1: Susan Jennings lives even much further from us now than she did when she was in San Francisco, so it's up to us take Yeah. Oh, okay, I remember some I wanted to address, So this is going back to boss mode. I had a couple of comments that was like, all, okay, I'm just going to answer this on the show. Okaym the videos or yeah comment yeah. So the first comment was so smooth, great job. I just hope the lyrics are not about you two from tom Lee. And then another person popped up like a week later. Let's hope Angie is not directing these lyrics to Ryan Veggie mckiela's I.
Speaker 2: Guess because one of the first words you say, this is the last song, and there's other things too. It just starts off like that, Well, they write songs together. I hope that's not about.
Speaker 1: Them or it's not like a rumor's fleetor mac situation, or or like I.
Speaker 2: Love some of the moods on that album. It's amazing. But yeah, this is not that as far as the lyrics and stuff go.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I have written some songs very specifically about Ryan, but these these two songs are not. And then you know, and I tried to explain this when I did an interview with the legendary Echoes radio guy. He really wanted that song I wrote I wrote for a following You album to be about you. He even went on records saying that I had written in about you. When I told him that I.
Speaker 2: Had what an unethical thing.
Speaker 1: I know, I said I hadn't and I didn't really remember writing the song, but it wasn't that about you and be able.
Speaker 2: Just imagine what they want. Unfortunately, some have like a bigger media presence to say incorrect thing. No. Fortunately, I don't think any real harm was done by that fault.
Speaker 1: Probably the other following You song I wrote, called Blessed, was one about Ryan. I am so blessed to have you here with me and blah blah blah, but we okay for about it, I said, I will never be okay.
Speaker 2: I mean, we're okay in the sense of us that we're good, we're so solid.
Speaker 1: Not the last song I'll ever write.
Speaker 2: About navigating the world and other crowd maybe not so much, okay, but as far as we are concerned, Yeah, no worries.
Speaker 1: It has been an extremely depressing year. Like we're in a really troubling time. So I think it's easier than ever to tap into that certain emotion. Yeah, and to really milk it. And you know, like the lyrics Okay, I honestly do not remember the origin of writing it, but it was very easy to connect to that, and you know, to bring that forward through through your music and and like you know, my my lyrics and vocals playoff of the emotion and your music, and then you come back in and your guitar often plays off of mine, and so you know, it really really kind of get this, like.
Speaker 2: Like I start a new one since finishing, okay, and that's what I'm thinking about, Like, Okay, I give you a pretty well produced song. A lot of stuff is already in there this song. I think I'm just gonna give you the basics of what I got, get your vocals, and then then I'll start filling out. So we have different ways of approaching things too. We're both influenced by what each other does. And I'm saying a lot, but often in different ways and different amounts. But yeah, we totally play off each other for sure.
Speaker 1: Fun it's funny. I sometimes liking it to to Jimmy Page and watch them live. Yeah, that's that's a good one to go because you can see they really are playing off each other's melodies and energy and stuff like that. That's so we've we've always been like that. It's like a thing that we do. We're lucky we.
Speaker 2: Have that, yeah, true.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so yeah, so now you know, we already are working on another song. I feel like this song may be a not happier and more upbeat than the last two.
Speaker 2: But we'll see.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, you never really know. And uh yeah, you know, people keep asking.
Speaker 2: Us will be a new album? Yeah, And we're had a point now where we've released so many singles where if we just finish up with another song or two, we might just instead of putting out a single or too, maybe just put out a whole like ten song album with everything the new, brand new stuff and all the ones we've been doing over the past year or two. We'll see. We've got some work to do and some decisions to make, so we'll keep you up on that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, absolutely do Hey do you remember last Fm?
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, yeah, that old music site.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, it's like it was connected to this thing that was called Scrabbler.
Speaker 2: Weird word to hear. I know Scrabbler.
Speaker 1: You we talked about it on the show way back in the day. Yeah, But like Scrobbler used to connect iTunes to the last FM so that it would keep track of what you're listening to. It looks like now you can connect it to Apple Music or Spotify, and it also seems they seem to have a close tie to YouTube. Like I forget how but somehow I I ended up on last FM. I think I was trying to find out if anyone had like reviewed the song of it anyways. Yeah, I saw even people on there were like someone had said, yeah, I think it was on not myself. So it's like, oh I love this new song. Oh God, I hope they're going to do an album. So it's good to know that people on all these different sites wondered about I think.
Speaker 2: It'd be cool to put an album out so yeah, you probably should.
Speaker 1: The whole question is what media or we're going to release it.
Speaker 2: On media like physical.
Speaker 1: I think doubt some people want that.
Speaker 2: I will think about that.
Speaker 1: I might have to like do it like a fun crazy okay, we'll think.
Speaker 2: Of I just thought, get a new album out so when you go to the streaming services you see an album instead of just singles.
Speaker 1: So badass would it be to have?
Speaker 2: No way, there's no way I want to ship vinyl out and stuff. You're well, think about a CD? Yeah, don't hope for fine unless we work the third party company like we did. I don't think they want to do a new album. I guess anyway.
Speaker 1: I don't know. But if you have a vinyl a vinyl label and you want to work with us, email up yeah us up for sure. CDs though even some people ask for CDs weirdly, like some guy is really lobbying for Flex to come out on CD. Again, I was like, it's on a vinyl though, why, I know, why not ask for cassette while you're at it?
Speaker 2: That's what all the news this time? Really not a lot of stuff.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, because like like I said, I've been sick all week, so I haven't really been setting stuff out blah blah blah. But anyways, yeah, so anyways, I do really want to thank those of you who have been watching the show and those of you that have been picking up the tracks over there on band camp Love Sparls stopbandcamp dot com or Love Spells Downwards stop band caamp dot com. Once again, this is like split release on both of those, Plus you can find the single on all digital media under Love Sprawls Downwards because we're trying to work that algorithm and also just time to just unify Bryan's catalog. We're slowly doing it. And yeah, you can always leave a comment wherever you've listened to this or watched this, because this is also an audio.
Speaker 2: Podcast, Subscribe, follow up, and do whatever it takes to make sure you know when new content from us here comes out.
Speaker 1: Yeah, feel free to come over to Lovesprolls dot calm and leave a comment as well, because you know we love those content.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, probably read them because we don't get a million of them, so good chance you'll read your comment. Alright, guys, so I will see you soon. I'm not sure exactly when, but we'll see it. Not too long from now.
Speaker 1: So, oh, should I take them out?
Speaker 2: A little bit of the video. It's taken out a little bit of the song. Yeah, here's a little bit of okay.
Speaker 3: Than feeling like I don't be, don't know, and when that I'm going on kidding.
Speaker 2: Now, everything has just come long.
Speaker 1: It don't nest bel