Speaker 1: Gentlemen, what we do in life echoes in a tanity.
Speaker 2: He's fucking obsessed with Gladiator.
Speaker 1: A man, it's a great fucking film. Strength and honor, Scotch and shoulder holds you to the uh so Russell Crowe.
Speaker 3: I mean he's trapped right.
Speaker 2: They've gotta sever off his head, and he's telling him how to do it, and.
Speaker 1: Then he yanks the sword from that dude that was so fat.
Speaker 3: What about when the guy gets with that spike thing and chunks of his head go flying.
Speaker 1: I don't know if already it's grit and said Iraq everywhere, like I was supposed to be the franchise player, and we in here talking about.
Speaker 3: Practice, ladies and gentlemen, we got him.
Speaker 1: Our next door neighbors are foreign countries. I call upon all nations to do everything they can to stop these terrors killing me. Now watch his drive, Hey everybody, and welcome to remember Shuffle. My name is Ben, with me as always my co host Jordano Ben.
Speaker 3: There are rich Lanisti and there are poor LANISTI. Then there's fifty cubits of crap, and then there's our ludus. We are an organ donor for the rich.
Speaker 1: Editors.
Speaker 3: Our goal shouldn't be to buy gladiators. Our goal should be to buy plebeian jeers jeers or cheers cheers, cheers. We don't have the dinari for a secuteur. Okay, we're not selling togas here. What if I told you Retiario's fighters lost one hundred percent of their fights, but one more favor than any other gladiator. We used analytics to pick our gladiators. It's a new method I've developed called counting.
Speaker 1: E e e e e E.
Speaker 3: His acclaim perd sestori ratio off the chart. That's what I like about them.
Speaker 1: Welcome to our episode on Gladiator. If you were expecting part six of our series on the global financial crisis, fear not, it's coming. Sometimes these episodes take a little bit more time, a little bit more research, and we don't want to leave you hanging. So here's Gladiator.
Speaker 3: It's really hard to try reading about the Eurozone crisis.
Speaker 1: Oh, it's so fucking boring, dude.
Speaker 3: There's all sorts of like currency concepts involved. It's not an easy read.
Speaker 1: Keep finding myself reading lines like grease owed so many billions of euros. I just want to be like two National Dead is dumb. But yes, we are turning to Gladiator. Why are we doing this, Tordano.
Speaker 3: One, I mean at one best picture, you know, I feel like at some point we'll probably get to all of them. I mean, first of all, it's a good movie. It's a fun to watch movie.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 3: Obviously it's like kind of a sports movie and like a revenge film. But most of the plot occupies itself with this intrigue over trying to get the Roman Empire to go back to the Roman Republic. And I was talking to my dad about this movie recently and he was like, oh, yeah, that movie was interesting. You know, it is interesting the way that Romans wanted to go back to the republic like that. And Ben has pointed out to me before that this was not ever a concern, right, And so I think the fact that we made in the year two thousand, the plot of our Best Picture winner about gladiators about wanting to fix their political system to be like a more liberal one, I think says a lot about the era in which this movie came out, right, Because if this concern wasn't actually part of like Roman society back then, then that means it's purely for the audience in two thousand and so it speaks mostly to the type of art that we're making and the type of art that we wanted to see about democracy. It is really sort of like our end of history. Insert into a sword and Sandals movie. Right, And if I can walk you through popular sword and Sandals movies over time, right, you got ben Her and Quovadas in the nineteen fifties, right, both of which are about Christian faith essentially, right at a time when Americans are juxtaposing themselves with like atheism in the USSR. And Quovadis is also about a corrupt emperor, but only in the sense that he's persecuting Christians.
Speaker 1: Right. I'm like this movie. They remade ben Her a few years back. I'm surprised they didn't call it ben Them am I Right?
Speaker 3: Okay? And then Spartacus is made in the nineteen sixties. The author was someone who was persecuted by the House on Unamerican Activities, right, and so it has a lot of that baked into it. It opens with a nod where Rome is described as a republic and quote fatally stricken with a disease called human slavery.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's a film about a slave revolt, and I would just say, you know, push up nerd glasses. The Spartacus slaves were not abolitionists. They didn't want to free other slaves. They wanted to be free themselves. The ancient world never actually produced an abolitionist movement. No matter what kind of radical new religion or philosoph was produced, nobody ever said like, this is a moral wrong that we should do away with. I think the closest they got is like, this is a moral wrong, but it is necessary evil.
Speaker 3: But yeah, I mean it's about civil rights, right, and it's coming out in the nineteen sixties, and about racism. I think there's like some racial mixing in the gladiatorial school going on in that movie King of Heaven We've mentioned on this pod before about like a confusing quagmire of a war in the Middle East three hundred about sort of like aughts East versus West fascism. And so now you have this like pre nine to eleven Sword and Sandal movie and it's about liberalism, which is so funny.
Speaker 1: Yeah, like classical liberalism, and I think it speaks really well to nineties era liberalism because we see the empire reach its zenith, both the American and the Roman Empire. The Romans are fighting far off on the frontier in Germany when we check in with them, but it's specifically in the Roman instance in a lot of ways, about a cultural decline, a society that has expended all of blood and treasure and man hours to create the best blood sport entertainment in the world, international networks of slaving to get the exotic animals and the people from all over for the sake of blood sport. Roman military might unquestioned in this movie, just like American military might was in the end of history unipolar moment. And I think some of this obsession with cultural decline is wrapped up in that late nineties early two thousands. Our politics has become a politics of scandal, Monica Lewinsky, impeachment, etc. That's like their comedists. I know I'm kind of stretching it a little bit here, but we've mentioned a lot on this pod about postmodernism of the nineties, anything cynical or snarky or ironic or irreverent. And this movie is not postmodern. And that's not just because of the Sword and Sandals movie. It's not postmodern in the sense that it is earnest to a fucking fault. In many ways, this is an anti postmodern nineties reaction film, and I think that's like the kind of decline that sort of envisioned and of course, like Jordano said, the like stupid imagined, we gotta bring the republic back, which nobody ever mentioned for real or thought about. And yeah, why this matters, Why this particular film matters. Think about your classic ninety Sword in Sandals movies. Name me some, Jordano. There's so many, they're so famous. That's the bit you can't. If I asked you to think of a two thousand Sandal movie, you might say Troy or Alexander or King Arthur or Kingdom of Heaven or three hundred or a bunch of other ones that are like the B and C and D list here that you probably haven't seen or heard of, like Spartacus, Blood and Sand on the Stars with the Z Network or The Eagle, or even POMPEII. In twenty fourteen. This film was so successful that it kicks started. That's Sword and Sandal's renaissance. So that's why we're talking about it. Bibliography, we read a book by this dude named Harry side Bottom.
Speaker 3: Insane British name, Harry's Sidebottom good God, yeah, truly English gay porno actor's name.
Speaker 1: Yes, they're developing new positions over there. Harry's Sidebottom wrote a book on gladiators that came about just last year called Those About to Die, which I really dug. But I think you kind of already need to know a lot about classics to really appreciate it. Tornado, you were so so on it.
Speaker 3: I thought it was interesting enough.
Speaker 1: I also read one of his other books called The Mad Emperor, for some of the other stuff here. Before we turn to the film, I want to give you a little bit of background on gladiators. And this might run a little long, but it's only going to run long because gladiators in history are far more interesting than Gladiator, the two thousand film. So cut me a little slack, spend a lot of my life dealing with this classic stuff. Come in with an open mind. Okay, So we're gonna walk into this conflict between the Emperor and the Senate. You know, whoever the emperor is, because comdists the emperor commitist is the start of this precipitous decline in the Roman Empire. When I took my Roman History courses back in the day, they periodized the upper level courses into three chunks. You got Roman History colon Republic, which went from the earliest shit that we have down to the death of Julius Caesar. Then you had Roman History colon High Empire, from the reign of Augustus down to Marcus Aurelius. This is your Pax Romana. Things are ticking along, got some good emperors in there, got some bad emperors in there, got some civil wars in there, got the eruption of Pompeii in there. Most of the famous buildings come from this period. Then you get Roman History colon later Empire, which actually started with commitists. So this film is set at the starting gun for the decline of the decline and fall of the Roman Empire, and it gets almost everything wrong about Roman politics entirely. I have a section for a Pedants corner later. This is the pre Pedants Penance corner. But the Roman Republic was basically an oligarchy, not a democracy. People voted in tribes in descending order from richest to poorest in their democratic assemblies, and they stopped voting when a majority was hit, like for just one of the many anti democratic aspects of the Roman constitution. There's no evidence that Marcus Aurelius, or any other emperor for that matter, had any notion of restoring the republic because officially it never died. The fiction that they did is like, I'm just the first citizen. I'm just the first citizen among equals. The Senate still existed. That's what the emperor saying. That's what the emperor is saying. Yeah, the magistrates still existed. They still had elections that were just like you know, the candidates had to be hand picked a rubber stant by the emperor. There were some things that were banned, but it was some minor tinkering around the edges.
Speaker 3: I guess that's the key part of ending the republic is you don't say the republic sending. You keep it all around as like window dressing.
Speaker 1: Exactly. Yes, And basically the Roman Empire was a military dictatorship because the emperor was the commander in chief of all the legions. We see this in the film Real Marcus Aurelius is out there on the frontier and then communist joins him. So here's how this weird ass state worked. Emperor's authority rested on four basic pillars or constituencies that he had to please. If too many of these guys get pissed off, you get overthrown. These are the folks who mattered. To keep things going, you had the Senate. The emperor needs the Senate, who are the elite of society, rich property, aristocratic men. He needs them to govern the provinces because Rome never developed an independent bureaucracy where you could just hire whoever to be a governor.
Speaker 3: Interesting, he goes out and sort of administers it independently for a fixed fee or something like a franchise.
Speaker 1: Yes, the franchise of empire. You get to be governory, you get to be nice and corrupt and do some graft off the top, and then you would actually hire private tax collectors to do your tax collecting for you. That's why they were so hated in like the New Testament or whatever. It's like, why the Judeans hated the tax collectors so much because they were frequently local collaborators. The Senate would be all the generals for the emperor's many armies, because the emperor is just one guy. The Senate is still voting the titles and powers of the emperor to give him a veneer of legitimacy. And they're going to become the consuls and the aide aisles and the queists and all these magistrates, just like it was during the Republic, but the emperors choosing the candidate. So what these rich old men want from an emperor They want respect, you know, digny toss. They want freedom of speech and freedom from condemnation and detention, liber toss. That's the kind of freedom that they want. Let us at least say the things we want to say. They want the emperor to be first among equals, and they want this fiction of power with the emperor helping them maintain the prestige of the body. They still had certain rights, like a feudal aristocracy, and they wanted those respected. They want the emperor to attend all their meetings. They want him to act correct and dignified when he does. They want free access to the emperor. They want the emperor to spend a majority of time with them, and they want the emperor to take advice only from them. And what they don't want is to be treated with contempt. They don't want the emperor getting too close to the common people or the common soldiers. They definitely don't want him ignoring them. It's about respect, Giordano. At the end of the day, these are Italians here.
Speaker 3: What were the senators in charge of in the republic? Just electing the consuls or like making laws or what so.
Speaker 1: They were mostly an advisory body, but they also were in charge of doling out the money.
Speaker 3: Okay, and then in the empire period it sounds like they'll still consult in theory, but they just wouldn't be doling out the money.
Speaker 1: That's the thing about the Senate is that it didn't actually officially have all that much power. They had really limited authority. They couldn't even introduce laws to be passed in the assemblies. Only the magistrates could pass laws. But it was a body that was made up of Rome's richest guys and most experienced guys. Because after you were elected consul, once you were an ex magistrate, you could join the ranks of the Senate. It was the only way the body could be replenished. It had a lot of influence, even if it didn't have a lot of formal power, which is part of what the movie gets so fucking wrong, where it's like the Senate is elected and represents the people, because that sounds like America, but it was not that really at all. Okay. The next constituency, which we also see in the film is the army. This is the most important one because armies can declare our emperors, and they can depose emperors, and they can depose pretenders and successors. And by the time of the Empire, Rome's army is this fully professionalized force, and it's more less an entirely independent institution tied to the emperor. Once upon a time, Rome's army was made up of volunteers. No longer they lived apart from civilian society. They lived under different laws where they had extremely harsh discipline that they were subjected to, but they were also compensated with social benefits. They're all kinds of stories in Roman literature of some random soldier just roughing up a civilian and getting away with it because they can. They even dressed and walked differently than a civilian, and so civilians feared soldiers, but soldiers fucking despise civilians. We are very, very far from the golden age of the republic, and what the army wants from an emperor is that is money. The soldiers want to get paid, and by the late empire in that period of decline, there are rich guys who are just buying their way to the emperorship by bribing the right soldiers. And they want an emperor who is a commander in chief, not just in name, but is one of them. They want a soldier acomlito in Latin. They want a soldier who's eating our rations, wearing our uniform and talking like a soldier. They want an emperor who's want of dubois, you know. And also like the senators, they want attention and respect.
Speaker 3: Everybody wants attention, yes, and then opposite wants like the senate, they want the emperor to be respectable, and the soldiers want the emperor to eat rations.
Speaker 1: Yes, you can see how it's a delicate balancing act, and you can see why so many of them were deposed. The third constituency is one that we don't really see in the film, but they are the most interesting. The Familia Kaisaris. This is the emperor's family, staff and counselors. This is your palace intrigue shit, right, they're the most fun. It's all of the emperor's slaves, and importantly it's the freedmen, the former slaves of his household. The emperor would have these highly educated, usually Greek slaves that he would free, and that's how you knew you could trust these guys a lot, because you know you're responsible for their freedom, responsible for advancing them to this exciting position. And it really is the west wing staff of an emperor. Including this is a crazy ass list. Okay, you ready for this. Doctors, messuses, astrologers, cooks, wine stewards, waiters, gardeners, jewelers, a range of wardrobe masters for different types of clothing, one guy for your private clothes, one guy for military, legal, triumphal hunting, Kinglean, Greek, and so on. You had a special bureaucrat functionary for your studies, and you basically had a sex guy, a procurator woolup tactum that's Latin for the manager of pleasures or the overseer of the pleasures. You had a functionary bureaucraph for finances, for correspondence, for embassies, for legal affairs, a chief of staff for appointments, and one who even ran the bedchamber.
Speaker 3: I'd love to see like the Roman West Wing with Toby speaking to the overseer of Pleasures and the wine steward and the astrologer, mister President. The astrologer says, the omens are bad this year, mister Caesar Emperator.
Speaker 1: The astrologer says, the omens are bad. But I do have this Thracian maden for you. Yeah. So the senatorial elite generally hated all these guys because these people had so much power and they were so close to the emperor, and these guys were generally not chosen from the aristocracy. These aristocrats are scheming, they might want to be an emperor, so instead you choose these like foreigners and former slaves. And they're also fucking wealthy. The largest known private fortune in the ancient world four hundred million, sister sees. I mean, what the fuck does that mean? I don't know, I don't know. The ancient conversion. It's the property qualification for two thirds of all members of the Senate was amassed by one guy, the correspondence manager, Narcissus of the Emperor Claudius. What was he up to? Graft? Probably we've got we're all corrupt as fuck.
Speaker 2: Dude.
Speaker 1: The people who hold up Rome as a model of equality before the law are fucking laughable. Like they had chattel slavery. They want what all the other groups wanted, money power, emperor to themselves. If the Senate wants an emperor, that's first among equals, a princeps kiillis civilian prince, the familia of the emperor. They want an emperor who is as a part and above from the rest of the elites as possible.
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 1: Our last constituency and the funnest one and one that we see in the film, the urban plebs of the city of Rome. Remember that Rome was a city of one million people with no police force, and these urban plebs could and often did riot, hence the bread and circuses.
Speaker 3: Your average guy, your average Joe, the pleb joe.
Speaker 1: The plumbo plummer comes from the Latin word plumbus, meaning Latin. Okay, they have to be placated. The historical comedy had this member of his staff named Cleander who was really really unpopular, and the urban plubs was so pissed that Communists had to have him killed and put Cleander's head on a pike just to placate the Plubs. They're probably the least important of these four constituencies because the PLBs never actually successfully overthrew an emperor on their own, but they could destabilize regimes enough that another constituency could come in and overthrow the emperor. And these guys also had certain privileges that were grounded in history that had to be respected. Because the Romans had this one democratic element of their constitution, laws could be passed by voting them through popular assemblies, and the executive branch all those offices had to be elected by the people as well. And so what the Plubs want from an emperor, they want the day of bread and circuses. Right, give me the shows, give me the gifts.
Speaker 3: Nam Chomsky said the same thing about sports in America, apparently that they're used to keep public disaffection down.
Speaker 1: It fucking works, DUDEA.
Speaker 3: Wait, So during the Republic to empire transition, were the offices and political power of the PLBs unchanged as well?
Speaker 1: They are curtailed. In the republic, you had a special office called the Tribune of the Plebs, this elected office that's there just to represent the plebs, which was very, very powerful and over the centuries of the republic, their power ebbs and flows, and then by the time of the Principate Empire, that is one of the offices that is very much curtailed. There were also specific sessions of public debate that could get quite rowdy. These were kind of done away with. Some of the more like public discourse around the laws was curtailed in the transition from republic to empire, but they were still voting. Just I don't know, remember this for reasons in twenty twenty six, just vote maybe.
Speaker 3: What did the plebs want from an emperor? Who's their ideal emperor?
Speaker 1: What does he do? What's he like? I mean, it's a number that you might want to say. I just want to have a wine with him? And Tabarnah. They loved Claudius bantering them. You know, Claudius at the Games called them my lords. You know, you guys are the lords today.
Speaker 3: They just want a guy who goes out to the Laddiefunda state fair and eats the garum.
Speaker 1: They want an emperor who's a man of the people. The trait that they appreciate in an emperor is called laywe toss levity, which is quite literally the opposite of the stern digny toss that the Senate wants dignity. They love all these wacky stories in our sources about emperor's cross dressing as poor people and like sneaking out to hang out with the urban poor. They love that shit.
Speaker 3: They like Bill Clinton jocks with the McDonald's.
Speaker 1: Yes, they love when the emperor humiliates the upper classes like they're these stories of these bad emperors like Caligula forcing aristocratic people to fight in the arena. The pluvs eat that shit up.
Speaker 3: One of like the criminal elements of this movie, honestly, is that they conflate both of these groups, like the Senate and the people, being like, yeah, like their interests are aligned and they're basically the same thing. When like, as you've told me, often the interests of the Senate and the interests of the people are in direct opposition to each other, and in fact, they don't like it when either of them advances their own causes, And like, often the Emperor might have been supporting the people at the expense of the Senate.
Speaker 1: Yes, quite often the Emperor would be better for your average Joe citizen than he would be for your senatorial.
Speaker 3: Elite or your arid land downing aristocracy. No way, the landlord.
Speaker 1: Class exactly, Jordaano. Our film flattens all that cool shit out. I'll talk more about this later in Our Thieves. But the way that the army is portrayed as this highly patriotic institution who are fighting for Rome in a very particular way is fucking fantasy. The idea of Rome. We had the idea of Rome. Excuse me, yes, okay. Second thing, for historical context, Let's talk a little bit about gladiators, because they're cool and they're fun and they're interesting. They're a uniquely Roman institution, which is interesting given how much of Roman culture is cribbed from other people's, especially the Greeks.
Speaker 3: This part seems weird because, like one, the idea of making two people fight for entertainment doesn't seem all that novel. So it's like it is strange that it is not more universal in a way, like the Joker saying we're having tryouts or whatever. But I did read that. Yeah, they're unsure if it's in a Truscan practice or a practice from CAMPAIGNA. I think the best bet is that we used to do human sacrifices a lot of times, especially around funerals, and so they know that like the earliest gladiator games were tied to funerals, Like you would be like, Oh, my dad's dead, I'm going to honor his memory by throwing a twenty five gladiator match to honor him. And it's like, well, instead of doing a human sacrifice, in some ways, this is like slightly maybe more humane in the sense that like one of them might live. Yep, but that's kind of like the natural evolution that I had heard had happened.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the human sacrifice bit is like highly contested. That is what the ancient Christians who hated the games accused the Pagan Romans of doing. Changing it from human sacrifice, and like I'm being a little simplistic, I guess like the Gauls had some kind of tradition of making guys fight for entertainment. It's probably not a totally unique convention to the Romans, but nobody went as hard with it as the Romans did.
Speaker 3: There are Roman colosseums like all over the former empire today, right, It's like it's like one of the main marks that your country used to be part of the Roman empires. Like there's probably still like a colosseum somewhere.
Speaker 1: They exported those amphitheaters. Doesn't matter in the West. In the Greek East, the Greeks didn't do.
Speaker 3: It, but that they took to it three continents.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so there's four basic ways for you to find yourself on the sands fighting for your life. How do you become a gladiator? Number one? The most common a foreign captive of Rome's overseas wars history has may remember Spartacus was from Thrace, and the exoticism of the fighters probably makes the shows more enticing for a Roman audience. Right, this reinforces empire. Look at all the lands we control.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I got the sense that a lot of it was different gladiator types, Like there are stock characters in the arena, and so you have like the Thracian, you know, like the I don't know if the Bactrian was actually one, but it's reinforcing this idea that we conquered these people. And so now there are like a figurine in our little play death matches here.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there was a figure called the Gall that existed during the Republic, and then Gall became so Romanized that the figure of the Gall drops off from the sources. Wow, so yeah, that's the most common way you get conquered by the Romans. You find yourself in the arena. Number two. It could be a criminal convicted of particularly egregious crimes like sacrilege, arson, murder, adulterers, male prostitutes, burglars, cut verses, and kidnappers could all be sentenced to become slave gladiators. This was better than a death sentence be heading for elites crucifixion for slaves, because you at least had a chance of surviving right a slave. You could be a regular, non gladiator style slave and your master could just sell you to a gladiator school. And some slaves would run away to try and sell themselves to a ludus to Eludus is a gladiator school, rather than stay with their masters. And then the last source, which I think is the weirdest but the most interesting, are free men who volunteered. Why do this? And nobody is certain. Some ancient sources say it's because free people fell on hard times, so it's their own fault. You know, these guys are just moralizing prudes. It's like, yeah, you drank and you hoard and now you're broke and you're selling your body to be in the arena. But some people might have done it for a pursuit of celebrity, for an addiction of the adrenaline rush of extreme risk taking. They live in a society that glamorized violence. You know, Marshall Valor fighting in war. But now there's no more wars. You're living in the packs romana. Maybe you want to fight in the arena.
Speaker 3: They never took up bushido arts.
Speaker 1: Eh, yeah, no, I never wrote the samurai poems.
Speaker 3: I guess there was a story I came across of. Yeah, like two friends. This is from the classical world where it's like two friends who were traveling and then like were robbed and so they didn't have any money, and so one of them had to volunteer to be a gladiator and win enough money so they could make it home.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's from one of the novelists. Though you got to put an asterisk, but it is something that is a story that people told from the time. You might end up wealthy because this was so popular that there was a lot of money that changed hands when putting on a gladiatorial show. You may have immediately immolated your social status, but you did it for that sweet sweet cash money. Now here's where it's like some true pedants corner shit. In reality, no one knows for sure what the risk of death was in the arena, but it was probably one in eight, give or take. That's like a middle of the pack estimate between the two extremes is that your risk of dying into gladiatorial match was one in eight because you fought until one guy submitted, and then the crowd got to cheer or boo, and then the giver of the games gets to decide whether or not you live or die. So even if you lose, if you are showy enough, if you are brave enough, if you put on a good enough show, if you win over the crowd, you could lose a fight and still survive one in eight.
Speaker 3: That's very often, like way more often than is ever present in a movie.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's gonna say, trade, what do you think the death rate is in the film Gladiator from two thousand nine nine percent? An individual gladiator probably fought just once or twice a year, and their career might not extend more than three years. Once or twice a year is crazy.
Speaker 3: I mean, I guess if you get injured you know, it's probably gonna be like a month or two to come back, but it's still like as long as we wait to do a UFC fight, Now.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's a combat's more so. More on the historical gladiators. They were fat and deformed and ugly and sex symbols. So gladiators got fat on carbs. Their diet was this stew of barley and beans, and then they just ate more of it than your average joe, like quite literally feed them the slop, be them the beans and barley slop.
Speaker 3: They're bean maxing, they're bean maximussing.
Speaker 1: So like soldiers got wheat and less than a gladiator, gladiators got barley, more calorically dense, and they got more of it. They also drank this weird mix of ash dissolved in watered down wine because they thought it would strengthen their bones, which is crazy because apparently it did. When archaeologists dig up their bones they see like a huge surplus and calcium. I want to know how some ancient, maybe illiterate Roman doctor was like, oh yeah, let's mix this like ash of burned bones into the wine and your bones will be That's crazy. I don't know how they figured that out. Yeah, they were ugly because they had bad teeth from all that bean chewing and all those lagoons. This like hold's true for animals too, Like carnivores had better teeth than herbivores. They were essentially just like swool vegetarians. They had one arm longer than the other from carrying like a heavy weapon and training with it for so long, a bunch of healed blunt force trauma wounds. And the benefit of this carb heavy diet is that gladiators would get this thick layer of subcutaneous fat that would shield your vital organs, but it would let you take flesh wounds that would bleed a lot and put on a good show. When you look at some of these engravings of gladiators, they are some thick boys. Wow.
Speaker 3: So that gladiator he fights at the end of the movie is actually kind of like an accurate depiction of what a gladiator might look like. Yeah, so you could just take a lot more flesh wounds if you're a big guy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, truly. It's like the type of athletic they're looking for, I think is like an NFL lineman. You need to be a big guy who can do short intense bursts of speed and violence.
Speaker 3: And take stabs. You can get stabbed.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm just saying. They could have cast Russell Crowe.
Speaker 3: Now, they should have put him in gladiator too. He would have looked more like a real gladiator than Paul Mezcow.
Speaker 2: As Russell Crowe said, we on hey day, how we dying?
Speaker 1: Now? So like, why do this? What was the purpose of gladiatorial shows? The purpose is quite literally said in the most famous line of this film, are you not entertained? Unlike chariot racing or other ancient games you can think of, like the Olympics, gladiatorial shows were not tied to the state or any official state religion. They were put on by the elite. They are a great way to garner goodwill with the plebs. During the Republic, rich aristocrats put on private games of their own private money to get the good will of the plubs. And then when Rome switches to an empire, all the games in Rome itself exclusively put on by the emperor and the imperial household. They own every single gladiator school in the city of Rome.
Speaker 3: Wow, so the government has a monopoly on gladiator shows. They have a monopoly on cheers and pablian acclaim for gladiators. It's like a crazy way to like control political support. M Like, you know, Mao said political power comes out of the barrel of a gun. Yeah, the Roman one is like political power comes out of the gladiator school.
Speaker 1: Our blood sport that we put on. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Tacitus I saw once wrote that gladiatorial matches were the most common topic of conversation amongst contemporaries.
Speaker 1: Yeah, like sports, right. You see it in the wall art of Pompeii on the lamps where they decorate the lamps with a drawing, Gladiators are the second most common thing that they would draw.
Speaker 3: They found it on cups as far as Afghanistan, I believe, on like glass cups.
Speaker 1: Mm hmm.
Speaker 3: And this was only one of their sports leagues, right, Like they also had cherry racing Lose versus the Yellows.
Speaker 1: Or whatever, like yeah, yeah, yeah, the Green Team. I'm a Green Team guy myself.
Speaker 3: Okay, So house is work. Okay, So in the republic period from a noble family, and I'm like, you know what, I kind of want to get involved in politics, thinking about running for office, you know, maybe maybe some lower office the idea is like I go to an editor and I'm like, here's so together.
Speaker 1: As the person putting on the game.
Speaker 3: Oh, I become the editor. Okay, so I'm both the editor and the What is the muneris.
Speaker 1: Munus is the Latin word for gift. Is what they call the games that were put on right, because you are gifting the games to the people.
Speaker 3: So the modern equivalent is like Kamala Harris is like I want to run for president. I'm going to put on an NFL game, and I'm going to pay for the teams to be there and for the stadium operation that day, and I sort of sell like subsidized tickets or I give away tickets to be I guess the giving away is really the key part there. That's kind of how you get the support.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the tickets were free.
Speaker 3: The tickets were free. Oh interesting? Or Kamala is giving them away kamal loose. Yeah, okay, So that kind of makes sense because I always assumed it was just like today's show is sponsored by Gracchus or whatever. It is partly that, but then also just like he gets to give away the tickets.
Speaker 1: And you're standing in the box, you're the one who's deciding who lives or who dies.
Speaker 3: That's an insane political system.
Speaker 1: But okay, that's why we started with forty five minutes of history. It's because this shit is interesting.
Speaker 3: I just wanted to be I mentioned a couple of fun facts about the Colisseum itself, like as a building, I had saw that they used to have these sort of wooden structures for watching gladiators fight, but there were like massive crowds that caused a collapse of one that apparently caused twenty thousand people to die, which was the low estimate. Twenty thousand is insane. That's like a third of the size of the Colosseum, which convinced the Senate to were like, we need a better stadium, but fifty thousand is not that different from a stadium of today, Like we really haven't increased stadium capacity that much in the last two thousand years. And I also did see that not only do you like need a ticket to enter, and it had tickets, but your ticket had a section, row and seat number, which is crazy, Like that still exists in the exact same way.
Speaker 1: In a mostly illiterate society too. It's like the other crazy thing I'm sure those must have been like pictograms, right, or like maybe you could recognize like an I or an X or whatever. Maybe it was just Roman numerals, but.
Speaker 3: Right, I'm in seat cow, I'm in seat bowl, you know. And they were also programs printed for the day's events and breakdowns of the fights. This is such a similar experience to how sports spectatorship happens today. I also saw that the gladiator season is in the fall and spring because the summer was too hot, even with those shaded apparatuses that they installed on the roof.
Speaker 1: Nice. Yeah, there's one quick little note, because I think it does kind of matter for a film. If you become a gladiator, you get something called infamia infamy. You are at the lowest rung of the social hierarchy. I mean, you are quite literally a slave, but you're selling your body for money, So you're up there with pimps or down with PAMs and sex workers at all the other jobs that involve selling your body. If you end up forfeiting some of your rights, you can no longer represent yourself or others in court. You can't witness a whale, you can't vote, you can't serve in the army. You can't act as a magistrate or a juror. You can't even go to the fucking theater.
Speaker 3: Really.
Speaker 1: Yeah, wow, there's no recourse from arbitrary physical punishment by magistrates. And this also applied to gladiator trainers. Lnis Stai interesting, right? It is moral delinquency. So in our film, when we eventually get to it, when you have this like general in the Roman Army become a gladiator and you see him all shook up about it, this is like how far he has fallen.
Speaker 3: Yeah, there was a weird class idea here where it's like, because you are serving someone else, you're low class, like you're an entertainer. It's almost not compatible with the way that we view class in modern life, where a lot of it is driven by like how much money you have and like how much capital you own, but.
Speaker 1: Like how much fame you have? Right, the fact that you could have money and fame and still be at the bottom rung of the social hierarchy.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's I guess like the closest thing we would have would be like a porn star.
Speaker 1: I suppose, And not every emperor liked gladiator shows. The real Marcus Aurelius didn't attend them. He tried to regulate them. He required these blunt weapons. And he's not the only emperor to attempt to regulate this institution. One of the funniest things about reading this book is reading about all these attempts of the emperors to pass laws or regulate but in a pre modern state, before advanced bureaucracies, they have like very little ability to enforce their will. So we see in thirty eight PCE a laws passed prohibiting any senator or their sons from appearing as gladiators. Sixteen years later in twenty two BCE, Augustus has to restate the law because I guess it didn't stick, and even extends it to the next lower order, the equestrians, just below senators. But people kept ignoring the law, so Tiberius, the next emper, he decrees exile for senators and equestrians who deliberately acquired Infamia, and he extends the band even further to the great grandchildren of senators. The punishment for doing this now was the prohibition of proper burial, which means that your soul can't go to the afterlife. Wow, it's Augustus, Tiberius, and then thirty eight PCE. I don't know who passed that law because before Augustus but after the death of Caesar. But like that is two and a half successive emperors who are trying to regulate this thing, and they can't keep these affluent motherfuckers from death driving their way into the arena.
Speaker 3: I had a couple miscellaneous notes on slaves that didn't really fit anywhere else, but it was in that book that I thought were really interesting. Harry Sidebottom talks about just how alien people were in the sense of like how they treated sex and their slaves. Where there are frescoes apparently that people would have in their own homes in like rooms that other people would see of like them having sex with their wife, And there's one of like a guy and his wife and the wife is doing reverse cowgirl and she's staring in the eyes of a slave while the slave is like about to offer some kind of drink right where it's like either they just weren't shy about sex and like didn't care if their friends saw a painting of them doing it, or they just thought so little of slaves that to them it was like I can't be embarrassed over a slave seeing me have sex. That would be like being embarrassed because the dog saw me having sex or something.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's no such thing as privacy in the aged world.
Speaker 3: We talked about this with Mike Duncan. Remember you just have people in your room all the time. Yeah, all right, Yeah, it's been a while now, so let's let's get into the movie. Damn, I love when we shoehorn in your classics background into an episode. All right, let's talk about our characters.
Speaker 1: Of the two thousand film Gladiator, to remind you in case you for god right, we.
Speaker 3: Got Maximus gay Sexicus. Sorry, Maximus Decimus Meridius. This is a real salt of the earth guy right here, you know.
Speaker 1: Oh, tell me about it. He can't stop thinking about touching wheat.
Speaker 3: That it's all he wants. He's humble, you know, he yearns for a Bucolic life. He's put in his time in the Roman Army as an incredible general, but not for personal empowerment or riches or fame. It's just's he's a real lunch pale general.
Speaker 1: He's never even been to Rome, said the first. He's from Spain, your favorite adjective for a flat character. He is stoic, unflappable. Right. The only time we see him lose his cool is the are you not entertained? Line? That's like the most emotion we're going to see or the most agitation we're going to see him show.
Speaker 3: And yet he's reluctant. He doesn't want to even be the Emperor when he's like offered the role the leader of Rome. Unless I can touch wheat and throw a ball my son, I don't want it.
Speaker 1: Pilum, I believe it's the lad word or pila.
Speaker 3: Excuse me, Yeah, unless I can throw a pila with my son. And he doesn't want to fight in the Gladia air pits. He always has to be cajoled into it.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 3: He's not a guy who's like necessarily violent by nature.
Speaker 1: This is just a job clocks in, blocks out. The only other character with Eddie depth is the Emperor, Comedis played by Joaquin Phoenix. He is indulgent, he is sadistic, he is narcissistic, and he's got major daddy issues.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he's unstable. He craves approval from his father. He's power hungry.
Speaker 1: He is incestuously infatuated with his sister.
Speaker 3: He's the opposite of Maximus Decimus. Basically, I just.
Speaker 1: Want to say, in real history, Comedist was the gladiator of the title. He clocked in so much time. Like my hot take is that the actual gladiat commonists in history.
Speaker 3: He killed like I think a hundred lions in the coliseum with one shot a piece apparently. Yeah, yeah, he put on a lot of games for himself. But we'll talk more about this later. Yeah, a quick note on these actors. By the way, Russell Crowe, this made him into the A lister that we've had ever since. But like he had only done La Confidential and Michael Mahns the Insider at this point, and likewise, you know, the studio actually wanted Jude Law to play commedists, but Scott insisted on Joaquin Phoenix, who had this kind of jokerfied twinkle in his eye.
Speaker 1: I guess it's true now he crushes in the role.
Speaker 3: Mm hmm. Okay, let's get into the plot of Gladier Tour. They're doing the Roman woman singing style thing like from Rome Total War. There's a battle in Germany. They're always trying to conquer the frontier, right. I think as you put it, didn't you know, not always looking to settle these lands, but important to have like a buffer. Yes, Germany's always bubbling over with these insane giant blonde hair people. And I love that this movie opens with like a long battle scene because this is coming out in the shadow of saving Private Ryan, and you really get the sense that this is like the kind of beat that Ridley Scott is trying to recreate.
Speaker 1: Here, m m.
Speaker 3: This is a Beaches of Normandy ass battle.
Speaker 1: Yeah. We get to see every different phase, every different possible combination of ancient warfare. We got the archers and the arrows and the fire arrows. We got the heavy infantry who are going to do the Testudo formation to block the arrows. We get the cavalry charge, we get the Ballistai siege equipment, you get it all. It is a maximalist movie, no pun intended.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and you see the kind of contrast between the primitive passion of the Barbarian Germans versus the mechanic discipline of the Roman army.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: So yeah, Maximus wins the day committists. You know, he arrives late with his sister and he's exciited, He tells his sister, Oh, you know, actually father is about to announce me his successor today. Ben. Yeah, you mentioned that the Roman emperor would have actually been with the army, because it's a good way to make sure that they don't like mutiny. Yep.
Speaker 1: And if like most of your authority comes from the army, certainly by like the high and later Empire, the Roman emperors are spending very little time in Rome. They're spending a lot of their time with the army, traveling to the various frontiers. They're on the road. They're road dogs.
Speaker 3: And right away you're seeing conversations between commedists and Maximus, where commtist is like who you got, well, you know, who do you support? Thro the Emperor of the Senate? You know, there's two types of guys, Like you're a republican or democrat, you support the Emperor of the Senate? Not a subtle film and communist. He's more of an emperor guy. He tells Maximus the Senate. You know, they'll pour honeyed potion in your ear about how great the Senate is.
Speaker 1: And he just tries to dodge a question. Like in the same way, it's like, are you a boobs or ask guy like, I'm a personality guy. It's like, are you a senate or an? He's like, I'm a Rome guy. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Meanwhile, Marcus Aurelius, he's old as hell. He's in a tent and he's he's like, damn, what do we here for? He's getting real philosophical and.
Speaker 1: What Jordeo says, he's old as hell. The actor is like two years away from dy. It's the first Dumbledore who is playing birth.
Speaker 3: And he's saying stuff like, what kind of emperor will I be known as? Why be known as a philosopher? A little bit of that winking you know here? Everybody you know is familiar, I'm sure with Marcus Aurelius's meditations, And.
Speaker 1: I gotta jump in for just a quick second here. I did an undergrading classics, that I did a master's, that I did a PhD. I spent thirteen years of my life studying this stuff. I never once was assigned Marcus Aurelius's medications in all of that time, because it's the stoic shower thoughts of a kind of dumb guy. Like one of the quotes, one of his deep philosophical quotes is something along the lines of you spend enough time trying to define what a good man is. Just be one, Just do it man. Yeah, there's a reason that this particular brand of stoic philosophy was picked up by the self help online Stoic Bros. There was so much more to stoicism than the self help books.
Speaker 3: Yeah, truly. Like the Facebook posting Emperor, you know some of these quotes. He's posting these quotes with like a picture of a peaky blinders guy with a cigar in his mouth. You know, these were from his diary. We don't know if this was actually meant to be published, right, Yeah, it just like appeared in like nine hundred some like Monk had It was like, dude, this shit fucking goes hard.
Speaker 1: The happiness of your life depends on the quality of your thoughts. Live, laugh, love. When you rise in the morning, think about what a privilege is to be alive, to think, to enjoy, to love. The soul becomes dyed with the color of its thoughts. It is not death that a man should fear, but he should fear never beginning to live. Y oh, hell yeah, bro Okay, back to the movie.
Speaker 3: So Marcus Relius is like, what are we doing? Like, why why are we killing all these Germans? I love the Maximus is almost like a little insulted by this introspection where he's like, well, we should have figured that out before we came here, you know, and all these people died, and so Marcus Relius he's like, what if there's an idea of Rome? One of many times where the phrase idea of Rome is set out loud and you're just supposed to know what it means. It's never elaborated on ever.
Speaker 1: It's because Rome is whatever it means to you, Jordano in the year two thousand.
Speaker 3: Your own personal Roman Empire. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: One of the weakest parts of this movie definitely is this just like shoehorned in Empire senate thing. They don't even know what they're doing. What do you mean the idea of Rome, that's what it's all about. You care to flesh that out a little bit.
Speaker 1: I'm pretty sure that like slaughter you just did on the Frontier, that's the idea.
Speaker 3: Of Rome, right, Yes, that's true.
Speaker 1: Well you just did it, my man.
Speaker 3: But Marcus really is he's like, you know what our idea of Rome levels are historically low. Right now, we need to get our idea of Rome levels back up to the top by going back to the Senate. The classic probably like Boomer thing. Honestly, they always look back to the greatest generation. They were doing that a lot right now, Saving Private Ryan was all about that.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 3: We are a decade in society that has forgotten where we came from. Right, we need to return, return, return, Right, That's what this conversation is about. And so the emperor he goes to his son and he's like, listen, I know you always wanted to be emperor, but we need to return or whatever, and commedists. He doesn't take this well. He kills his foster.
Speaker 1: He literally hugs him to death. Yeah. Yeah, there's a nice little dialogue where comedist is like the crying woe Jack what he hears that he's not going to be emperor. And he has a line where he says, he wrote to me what the virtues are again, like winking at the audience about the four Stoic virtues, And then it gets the four Stoic virtues wrong, which is very funny. He says, none of your virtues are mine. Temperance, wisdom, justice, Fortitude says, but I got my own virtues. You know, I got ambition, and I got courage. And basically he goes fishing for compliments and he catches a boot when Marcus Areli says, your failures as a son are my failures as a father?
Speaker 3: I don't.
Speaker 1: Then Communists hugs his father to death.
Speaker 3: Now Commonists has Maximus. He hasn't taken out to be killed, right because even though Maximus has tried to decline the offer, all he wants to do is go back to his farm in Spain, but his duty keeps him from doing so. He loves thinking about this farm. He wants to go touch the wheat.
Speaker 1: They announced that the emperor is dead. Maximus is getting ready to take power, but look at this, he's arrested. Guards take him out back to be killed, but there's yet another scene. Maximus, even with his hands tied overpowers these guys, escapes and then rides directly from the Rhyane River, presumably on the border between France and Germany, all the way to Spain to the Sepia toned wheat fields. He just wants to go out and touch wheat so bad, but his family has been killed. He is too late. They have been like burned and hanged and crucified in all those nasty Roman death stuff. He's on the ground in Spain where he's picked up by some slavers of some kind and brought to Algeria.
Speaker 3: And this place is very Arabian coded. They got the turbans on. They're negotiating by squeezing each other's balls. You know. We meet Proximo, Maximus's trainer throughout the movie, played by some British actor apparently like a legendary drunk actor. He actually died during the filming of the movie because he got in a drinking contest with some British sailors on Malta.
Speaker 1: That's so sick. Yeah, Oliver Reed is the guy. Oliver Reed.
Speaker 3: Yeah, go look up like the number of drinks he had before he had a heart attack and died. Well, he specifically had like a million drinks drink against these young sailors and then arm wrestled them, apparently beat three of them, and then like died of a heart attack. I think it's the arm wrestling, like it's a dangerous port that needs to be regulated. It's human cockfighting, is what it is. So yeah, he's bought and sold as a gladiator. I think they see that he's a former soldier. He makes friends with a Nubian gladiator from a salt mine and carthage and they trained together. Meanwhile, back in Rome, commodists, he gets a famous Roman procession. The crowd they don't love him though, they call him the usurper. Ben you said that this probably not how regular people would have seen an emperor like commodists.
Speaker 1: Certainly not right at the beginning of the rain. Usually I think they would take pretty kindly to a new emperor.
Speaker 3: But also like the things that he likes is like he likes throwing games, you know, he likes cross dressing or whatever, like yep, And he's saying stuff like the Senate doesn't understand the needs of the people. Actually, I guess not far off with that kind of right.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: One, he wants to get rid of the Senate.
Speaker 1: Yeah again, something no ever ever thought of doing. Nobody ever thought of abolishing the Senate entirely, you need it to manage this fucking thing. But we need to heighten this conflict. He's going to get rid of the checks and balances Jordano.
Speaker 3: Right, They want to project like modern American sensibilities onto the setting, right, So this is what they're projecting into this situation. Oh, they're getting rid of the institutions, the erosion of institutions. And he declares one hundred and fifty days of games. Damn, that's a hell of a gladiator season.
Speaker 1: I don't know if comedists put up these numbers, but I know that Trajan's games were over one hundred and twenty days. This is not absurd.
Speaker 3: I think At one point the senators want him to provide sewers for the city's Greek district where the plague is raging, but commitist he says, no, we need to focus on the games. He's ignoring infrastructure projects in favor of bread and circuses, or just the circuses.
Speaker 1: Well, we see them throw bread at some point.
Speaker 3: That's true.
Speaker 1: We flash back to Algeria and Maximus, after initially refusing to train, he fights in the arena just like out of necessity because he's fighting for his life. So he's won the respect of the other slave gladiators. They call him the Spaniard and it's in this fight, the first big arena fight that we see, where he kills all the other combatants. I believe this is the fight where he's chained to another gladiator, which is a Ridley Scott invention to my knowledge. He kills all the guys, throws the sword at the editor, at the guy putting on the games, and shouts the iconic line are you not entertained? Which is so funny. This line is meant to be critical of the blood sport of the human cockfighting. He has just ended all these lives. He's meant to be dripping with disdain when he says are you not entertained? At this? And it's become the iconic meme line of the movie that we all.
Speaker 3: Said, sincerely, yeah, true, Yeah. We have more on this later.
Speaker 1: So the guy running his little Ludus, his little gladiator school, is a former gladiator Proximo. He wants to take Maximus to Rome to fight in front of the Emperor in the Colisseum. And the thing, the little carrot that he dangles in front of him is that if you get good enough in Rome you could win your freedom. They give you the little wooden sword that means that you're free.
Speaker 3: So they get to Rome. It's cgi, but in two thousand it actually doesn't look that bad for something made in two thousand and you know he gets the rome prostitutes are throwing themselves at him. You know they got this part right. I guess about being a gladiator. Meanwhile, Communists is coming onto his sister. He's a real freak guy. He's bad, he's into incests, and we get a little bit of like the showmanship of the Roman colisseum, right, they kind of play it up to be like, wwe like a little bit. They got the announcer, they're showing you how they're sort of like remaking historical battles for the crowd, right again, like part of that reinforcing of empire, Like would you love to see battles that we've won in the past against people dressed like the people we killed?
Speaker 1: And this is true. The Romans did do this reenact historical battles. The one thing that they get wrong. The Romans never ever reenacted a battle that Romans fought in because they didn't want what happened in this movie to happen where the Romans lose. They would do historical battles like the Persians versus the Athenians at Salamis, and if the Persians actually won who cares. Rome runs anything, everything matter. Like the message you're saying is like, we run the whole world, We control geography, We kind of controlled time because we're putting on these historic battles and actually it doesn't matter, you're all Roman. Fuck you.
Speaker 3: So Maximus is put in the middle of a chariot battle, and you know, he coaches people into beating the chariots. They're underdogs, and they win. They flip them over like they're in a car chase. There's a repeating crossbow in this scene. Even lady gladiators, which there apparently there were occasionally some, Yeah.
Speaker 1: There were, we have evidence for them, but it was extremely uncommon.
Speaker 3: Like a side show. They'd fight dwarves and stuff.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well dwarves would fight dwarfs, the women would fight women, but.
Speaker 3: I've heard women would fight dwarfs sometimes, like that's the side show part of them.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And also was there to be like titill eating, like in the same way that the women of the wwe are sexy babs fight each other, like that's part of the appeal. They also would dress them up like amazons from myths. So once again, Rum controls time and geography and space and everything. It is all encompassing, It is everything.
Speaker 3: So because Maximus is one, the Emperor goes into the middle of the arena, but he can't kill him. They can't kill each other. You know, Communists can't kill Maximus because he's in front of the crowd who loves him, who loves Maximus, And Maximus can't kill communists because you know there's a kid there who would be unsightly.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's the nephew. Commonist's nephew, is there. The holy bond between uncle and nephew must be respected. This is also where we get the second most famous line of the film.
Speaker 2: My name is Maximus Decimus Meridius. I'm Mondo of the Armies of the North, general with the Felix Legions, loyal servant to the true Emperor Marcus Aurelius, father to a murdered son, husband to a modered wife, and I will have my vengeance in this life for the next.
Speaker 3: So, I mean, the rest of this movie can drag a little bit. First sixty percent is much better than the last bit. But this is where we start to get a little bit of intrigue, where they're going to depose comedists and restore the Senate. The stuff that doesn't really work as well is just like the kind of Bearer Roman stuff.
Speaker 1: The mindless show of blood Sport. Yes, there's another one where we get the tigers.
Speaker 3: In it, which is pretty sick, right, something true to life. I think a lot of the shows in the coliseum were hunts, animal hunts, and so they've got these tigers, I don't know from India, I guess.
Speaker 1: Oh, yeah, this is their way of fixing the match. So like the intrigue is happening behind the scenes, commedist still wants to kill Maximus, so they get a big guy. This is where they get the guy with the historically accurate gladiator body. He says, don't worry, it's been arranged.
Speaker 3: He's undefeated.
Speaker 1: Yeah, in like a doctor Evil style thing, where like, as these two guys are fighting, there's also going to be four tigers on chains who are going to maul them. And this is still fucking stupid because the tigers have just as much of an opportunity to get your guy as they do the guy you tried to kill.
Speaker 3: But yeah, Maximus kills the undefeated champion as well as the tigers. This was actually originally supposed to be a fight between Maximus and his handler Proximo, I believe, but because like I said, Proximo died, they had to change this to some champion. I watched the DVD featurettes of Like The Making of and Russell Crow is hamming it up so much in those. He's very funny. When they're shooting the scene with the tigers, he's doing like a stever Win impression to the camera, which isn't too hard for him considering he's Australia. And yeah, rest of the movie, Communist decides he's he's gonna kill Maximus himself in the arena, but stab him first to give him this like unfair advantage, right, I mean, and Commedists also discovers the Senate's plan to restore the Republic by sessing it out through his nephew and then holding his nephew hostage. And so even though Maximus is stabbed, he sort of uses all of his remaining will to kill Comedists in the arena. So in real life, Commedist was killed by a wrestler. He was also emperor for fifteen years, yes, first, so a little bit of a departure from reality.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and he was just like strangled in the bathroom, basically on his way to the Coliseo. It's such a shame. Like commedists, one of the things that makes him so interesting in so wacky is that he spent so much time in the arena. He was the gladiator Emperor. That was the defining trait of his reign. He couldn't stop going in there. And I'm like, I'm sure the numbers are exaggerated, and I'm sure the matches were rigged in fake and whatever, But isn't that also kind of interesting? The autocrat playing rig matches, you know, Kim Jong wun dunking a basketball or whatever. Isn't that kind of fun and wacky? Wish I could have seen more commedist gladiatoring.
Speaker 3: I wanted to quickly read Roger Ebert's review because I thought it was really funny. He did not like the movie, gave it two out of four stars. He says that the film just looked bad. It was too gray, all fuzzy and indistinct. Its colors are quote mud tones at the drab end of the palette. The characters bring no cheer. They're bitter, vengeful, depressed. He doesn't like these kinds of characters. By the end of this long film, I would have traded any given gladiatorial victory for just one shot of blue skies. Damn, I love this quote. The same story could have had rousing entertainment. I've just revisited The Wonderful Raiders of the Lost Art, which is just as dim witted but twelve times more fun. But Gladiator lacks joy. It employs depression as a substitute for personality and believes that if the characters are bitter and morose enough, we won't notice how dull they are. So yeah, he wants them to be a little cheerier, a little more energetic. All the stoicism.
Speaker 1: I mean, the games were meant to be fun, I suppose, but I think it's hard for us as modern people to divorce the blood sport aspect.
Speaker 3: He also didn't like the WWE type stuff, he complains, and announcer literally addresses the crowd in these words, Caesar is pleased to bring you the only undefeated champion, And so yeah, he wasn't a big fan of that kind of modernization, and he had a lot of pedans corner issues with the movie. He says, when Maximus wins his first big fight. It's up to commonists to decide whether he will live or die. Live live, the fans chant, and commonists, bound to their will signals with a thumbs up. This demonstrates that Commonist was not paying attention in Caesar's school, since the practice of the coliseum at the time was to close the thumb in the fists to signal life and extend the thumb meant death. Luckily, no one else in the coliseum knows this either.
Speaker 1: I don't even think he's right on that, Like, nobody is sure what the direction of the thumb is because it just says to extend. In the book that I just read that came out last year and I finished today, there's no consistency. No one's absolutely certain. You can't be a pedant about the thumbs up the come down.
Speaker 3: Just crazy that he devoted that many words to the thumbs up or thumbs down historical inaccuracy when not one word is mentioned about the entire plot, which is.
Speaker 1: Yeah, invented whole cloth. There was no Maximus Meridius Decimus or whatever. It's like.
Speaker 3: Smells so highly of like a guy who knows one thing about ancient Rome and is like angry like trying to brag about it and apparently not even true to your point. Yeah, not a big fan. Soyway, let's talk about our themes. So, like we said, like we've been saying, a major theme of this movie is the decline of empire, specifically around cultural decay, and so this is wishcasting for an American empire that's about to enter a decline in the twenty first century.
Speaker 1: I think it's really such a shame that this movie isn't smarter, Like you could make a really interesting critique of American empire that's grounded in the Romans, because you know, the Romans are using foreign wars to acquire thousands of human beings as chattel slim and then throw them into a battle royale meat grinder for the entertainment of their poor and illiterate working classes, to whom we see them quite literally toss bread at the circus, and our hero, who serve this system with duty and honor, is betrayed by it. Right, This could be a great way of saying, like, you think the empire is good, but look at it with clear eyes for just a second. It could be a fiery fucking political statement if the film were better and smarter, but instead we get multiple characters having these circuitous fucking dialogues that goes something like this, what was the war for for Rome? What is Rome? Rome is an idea? Cool dude, very anti imperialist or maybe pro imperialists? Is the idea of Rome? Good?
Speaker 3: Unclear?
Speaker 1: Rome is a dream, It's a light, It's a fragile, little secret. But what are its qualities? Spoiler alert? Rome's America. They don't are particulated because they want you to think Rome is America. To the extent there's any kind of political message of this film, it seems to be number one, autocracy is bad, never mind that most of Rome's territorial expansion came during its republican quote unquote democratic phase. And two blood Sport is bad kind of but also it's cool and interesting and we watch it for money. Yeah.
Speaker 3: There's also some like meritocracy versus nepotism tied in this, like decline idea. I mean, one of the primary differences between the Empire and republic seems to just be like how we decide who the leader is. So you mentioned the High Empire is basically like until the end of it is the Flavian dynasty.
Speaker 1: Commodists is like the end of the High Empire. The five emperors leading up to Commtists are called the five Good Emperors, called the Antonine dynasty. I think it is hyphenated sometimes, but these are the five that Edward Gibbon called the five good emperors because they figured out the problem with succession. The Julio Claudians and the Flavians, they were just choosing their oldest son or whatever, or their son in law. They were doing that monarchy shit, and they ended up with some real duds in there. You know, your Caligula's, your Neros, your dimiticions, you're.
Speaker 3: Bad, okay.
Speaker 1: But these five guys, like Trajan, Hadrian, Nerva, Marcus Aurelius, whatever, they figured out that the smooth out the succession. You choose someone who's not a blood relative and you adopt them in your will posthumously, and like the succession is a lot cleaner. And then Marcus Aurelius breaks the cycle with comedists, and then he dies and there's a big as civil war.
Speaker 3: I see the movie's concern. I think is one of the forms of decline we're seeing is a more like inherited nepotistic society. One of the things I think that people sort of like held up about the Republic was at least it was kind of meritocratic, right, like whatever senator was power hungry enough to like grab the console ship would lead things, whereas like sometimes you end up with commedists just because he's like the son of the famous philosopher king and but he knows he's insane. Mm hm. He's a targarian style leader truly, which probably wasn't happening as much in the Republic period.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, next big theme that we got is I called it duty, honor, patriotism Rome. It's all kind of a fucking soup in there, right, Like our hero Marcus Meridius Decimus whatever, he's literally got the SBQR tattooed on his fucking bicep, and the ideas of patriotism would be so foreign to a Roman soldier. Hard to do this counting precisely, but maybe between a half to two thirds of Roman emperors were killed by members of the Roman military. They're putting up fucking numbers, let me tell you. And the closest this film gets to capturing the vibe of a Roman soldier is as they are doing this intrigue. In plot, Maximus is going from the coliseum in Chains back to his gladiator school and he's approached by one of his old Roman soldiers, and one of his subordinates finds him in Rome and says his old truths are staying in Ostia. That's Rome's port, and they are ready to overthrow the state at a moment's notice. They're loyal to him, not to Rome. And you know Maximus as this duty bound, honor bound guy. He has this character arc where he's a loyal servant of Rome who is betrayed and ends up as a slave at the bottom of the social hierarchy, and he hates it so much that he's cutting off his tattoo. Then he becomes a co conspirator in a coup to reinstall the republic. Right, he goes from like worshiping Rome to hating Rome to trying to save Rome. Put it all on the line for it, right, He's dedicated to this thing flawed warts and all.
Speaker 3: Let's talk about hedonism, sexless hedonism.
Speaker 1: How the fuck are you going to make a movie about ancient Rome? Turn out so sexless? HBO's Rome. We actually criticized it a little bit for being like so gratuitous. I think we were mostly saying they put sexual violence in theirs at some points where they didn't always need it. But yeah, ancient Rome is known for being lascivious and scandalizing. The gladiators were sex symbols. There's ancient graffiti that we have in POMPEII where the gladiators are boasting of their sexual conquest. There's misogynistic satires talking about whys running off with gladiators. Almost none of this makes it into the film. Maximus doesn't even have sex in the film. And part of what makes a bad emperor bad is their perversion and decadence and hedonism. That's all across the Roman sources. And you can quibble about the accuracy because all of our written sources were written by the senatorial elites who hated the emperors, and they made all the same types of accusation. But ancient Romans thought that their emperors were sex criminals. That would make Jeffrey Epstein blush. Okay, where is this shit communist's sister? Infatuation? That softcore Game of Thrones has more? And I want to tell you a little story about the Caligula biopic that came out Caligula, Emperor, who is said to have had sex with all three of his biological sisters in nineteen seventy nine. They wanted to make a sword and sandal film about the Emperor Caligula. Peep these stats, okay? Screen written by Gore Vidal, one of twentieth century America's greatest public intellectuals, stars Malcolm McDowell, Dame Helen Mirin Academy Award winner, Peter O'Toole Academy Award Lifetime winner. Directed by this avant garde Italian filmmaker named Tinto brass And this movie should have been excellent. Unfortunately, the production company ran out of money and was bailed out by Penthouse, who inserted a bunch of hardcore pornography into the film. And that is closer to the spirit of what we need for a mad Emperor style sword and sandal film. Like Jordano, you mentioned the Targierians, right, George R. Martin is cribbing all this shit from the lives of the Roman emperors as told by Suetonius or Tacitus or these other guys.
Speaker 3: Gotcha A theme I found really interesting in this movie is just like our relationship to violence as entertainment. You know, the most famous line from this movie, are you not entertained?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 3: We mentioned that he's being sarcastic. He's mocking the crowd for finding this entertaining to a certain extent. He's also breaking the fourth wall here, because we have this very schizophrenic nature in the way that we view violence, where it's like we all think it's bad, and we're all very entertained by watching it. And so there's like this hypocrisy they're playing with, right, if it's fictionalized, we want to see it, even if in real life we would frown upon it. And so like everybody that Maximus kills other than like comtists.
Speaker 1: Is a slave.
Speaker 3: Maximus spends this entire movie killing slaves, and we're like, yay, it was rewinded. I want to see that again. People who are forced to fight, So we constantly have to put these reinforcements in both movies, In this one and Gladiator too, there's always like, right before he kills someone at Paul mescal and Russell Crony to be like, I don't want to do it, don't make me do it. You know, and then he does it like in a very spectacular fashion.
Speaker 1: I can if I want to, but I don't want to.
Speaker 3: And I do think it's interesting because they don't often show animal hunts, even though these were very common, because I think there's something where because animal hunts are like recent enough in memory or like still happening, that like we don't want to see that. We don't want to see someone kill an animal. We would like to see someone kill a slave. Apparently it's a very strange thing about our psychology that is still present in our brains even if like we've outlawed it and wouldn't actually want to see it. But like, you know, the UFC's first creative director, and I'm stealing this from Danielli Billlli, he was a producer on HBO's Roam and UFC fights in this era, like when Gladiator came out used to feature a gladiator opening the fight and doing the sand thing like Maximus, like picking up the sand. We see them as modern day gladiators.
Speaker 1: JUDEO, Can I blow your mind for a second. Do you want to know what the Latin word for sand is? What's that? Arena? Ooh wow, damn? That is crazy?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think there just is something, especially in the two thousands, which I think was like a very violent decade. I've heard Matt Chrisman talk about how like Limp Biscuit and like New Metal in general represents this kind of violent American ID at the turn of the millennium, Right, I want to break stuff, And I think the UFC becoming popular and the war in Iraq gets all sort of tied in with that. And I love the irony of this movie because these games are put on to people so that they don't ask for more political power. So like Maximus as a gladiator is both placating people into accepting a despotic emperor in the sense that he's providing them entertainment that will act as like a release valve for stress, but also on a surface level, he's trying to get rid of the emperor and like the institutions of having a king. And so I find that that juxtaposition is very interesting and fun to play with.
Speaker 1: Yeah, a lot of people quote the bread and Circus line, which is from the satirist Juvenal, but they don't quote the full context. It's a long poem, but if you look at the lines just before it. Juvenile writes that same crowd, in a moment, would have hailed their new Augustus. They shed their sense of responsibility long ago when they lost their votes and the bribes. Semi colon the mob that used to grant power high office, the legions, everything curtails its desires and reveals his anxiety for two things only bread and circuses. The mob used to be responsible for granting power, offices, legions, everything, giving something to these people who wanted it right, that was their power to give, and now all they have is the power to demand the entertainment and the bread. Wow.
Speaker 3: Okay, let's talk a little bit about the style of this movie. We've complained a lot about the plot and some of the themes, but I do think that where this movie really excels is the style.
Speaker 1: Yeah no, oh, please waiter. I couldn't eat another bite of steak, but I will take some sizzle. Give me all the sizzle that you have.
Speaker 3: This movie has masterful practical effects. You know, seven hundred and fifteen extras, one hundred and twenty horses, real siege equipment, two thousand weapons were created for the battles, and also ten thousand arrows. The Roman costumes look incredible. When they fucking wheel out the real ballastie, you're like, holy shit, this is not a CGI ballast I Ridley Scott like found a forest that we due for deforestation and was like, hold on, let me destroy it first. Germany is filmed in Britain. Rome is filmed in Malta. North Africa is filmed in Morocco. All on location. Hans Zimmer, who's better than him at doing the score and need Hans. He's doing basically the Pirates of the Caribbean theme, but played less loudly. They recreated the coliseum, like the first twenty five feet of it for the shots of Rome, so that it would like be in the background. They didn't do the whole thing, but like just the bottom twenty five feet, and so it's like, yeah, the plot itself, you know, revenge film, guy has his family killed. One of like the fucking hackiest moves in cinema, which is like they killed some guy's family. Imagine how pissed off he'd be. Imagine how much revenge she'd want. Like you know, the classic movie complained that like anytime you see a woman, it's like, oh yeah, she's gonna be killed to motivate the man.
Speaker 1: Yeah, is she happy in Loyal Death?
Speaker 3: Sen, Yes, I watched the beginning of Gladiator too, and it's like the second you see his wife like hanging laundry, You're like, that's the deadest woman of all time. Yeah. And this like political plot that is like more about our modern insecurities than it is Romans. But it doesn't matter in some ways. You know, it's not a great movie, but it's like a B movie because the style is so great. Apparently, how they pitched it to Ridley Scott is like they showed him that like nineteenth century painting. It's like Gladiator looking up at an emperor who's like doing the thumbs down. And before the guy even like got into it, Ridley Scott was like, I'll do it. You know, we've heard about turning a video game into a movie. We've heard about turning a comic book into a movie. What if they turned a painting into a movie. That's basically what this is, and stylistically it succeeded quite a bit. It is just really good to watch to look at. Sorry, rather speaking of this just being all style and like no substance. One of the ways in which this manifests itself, is that there was never really like a script. None of the original script really made it. A lot of the lines were improvised. A lot of like the big one, Russell Crowe improvised the line's strength and honor, not something that Roman said. By the way, it's like this sounds right, Joaquin Phoenix improvised, am I not merciful? When Crow had to like recount details of his fictional home in Spain to Marcus Aurelius, really, Scott was like, just tell me about how you think about Australia, and he started going off on it.
Speaker 1: Because you didn't mention kangaroos, drop bears.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, Foster's balla Bay's.
Speaker 1: This movie cost one hundred million dollars to make that. They improvised the fucking lines so sick.
Speaker 3: You know, they hire like seven hundred and fifty extras. They build the bottom twenty five feet of the coliseum and they're like, yeah, script, we'll figure it out. You know, we'll figure it out.
Speaker 1: As we go. I know, I'm forgetting something. What did oh god, the words?
Speaker 3: But I mean somehow they pulled it off. But I mean it's like kind of what separates this movie from being like an a movie. Is that like, yeah, they may wanted to figure out the plot a bit more and the dialogue they're like, uh, this part just says the idea of Rome. What did you mean by that? Don't worry might We'll figure it out.
Speaker 1: The idea of Rome was actually a placeholder that somebody forgot to keep writing and.
Speaker 3: Then Russell Crowe just read it out loud, all right, echoes in the culture. Sure, like we set up top. All of our two thousand Sword and Sandal movies are because of this movie. We've talked about Troy on our podcast. I rewatched Alexander for this episode. That movie sucks ass. I mean there's like probably two or three intervals of greatness, like ten to fifteen minutes where you're like, wow, this actually is a phenomenal story about like a man who Alexander went to fucking India.
Speaker 2: Hmm.
Speaker 3: He conquered Punjab in like three hundred BC on like one expedition, and it's just like how far do you want to go? Like you can just keep conquering, but it's like when will you stop?
Speaker 1: To what end?
Speaker 3: To what end? And like why and as soon as he's forced to turn around and go home. He dies, But I just think that, like, there are so many long stretches of this movie that are absolute snooze fests. Val kilm are awful as Philip the Second. His mommy issues in this movie are so disconnected from the entire plot they don't really make a lot of sense. Also, Oliver Stone like has the courage to make Alexander like very gay, but not to actually show him kiss a man in any moment. And it's like, bro, just commit, you know, if this is the story you want to tell King Arthur, remember that. We probably should watch that at some point see if there's anything there. But Russell Crowe kind of the other echo in the culture. He's echoed an eternity in his rules because of this movie. He won Best Actor.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I was so sure this is going to be an unconsonable choice. But it seems to have been a slow year for movies. You know, the remember shuffle rule. They should be given out ten years. It should have been given out twenty ten. He beat out Tom Hanks for Castaway, Javier Bardam for Before Night Falls, which is a biopick.
Speaker 3: A guy who was considered for the role of Maximus.
Speaker 1: By the way, nice Ed Harris for Pollock a biopick, and Jeffrey Rush for Quills a biopick. Big year for biopicks. It's also won Best Picture, beating out Aaron Brockovich Schokola, Croaching, Tiger, Hitten, Dragon, and Traffic. So yeah, maybe just a slow year two thousand.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's better movie than Traffic. I'd have to rewatch the other ones, that know.
Speaker 1: And it was nominated for a bunch of others. It got like nine nominations and it won a bunch of the technical ones, costume Design, visual effects. Despite the fact that we've spent all this time talking about how mid it is, this was not only commercially but critically successful film.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean it won the Sizzle Awards Best Visual Effects, Best Costume Design, Best Sound, Best Sizzle. I wanted to give a quick shout out to the Sopranos episode. We talked about University on this show, but the idea that they would watch this movie and feel like they were sort of modern day gladiators, a very funny idea that like they saw Maximus and they were like, that's freaking memm.
Speaker 1: Bro, Now you don't have a murdered wife and children. You are murdering wives and children.
Speaker 3: Yes, subtle difference, Yeah, you're comets. And another little funny echo in the culture. I think definitely is that. Okay, So this movie comes out in May of two thousand. George Lucas is writing the script for Attack of the Clones from March to June of two thousand.
Speaker 1: Oh.
Speaker 3: Now, low and behold, we get an extended scene in an alien colosseum in that movie. He absolutely was like, Hm, this would be very interesting. What if we had the Jedi colosseum? And of course the sequel Gladiator two.
Speaker 1: Yikes.
Speaker 3: I couldn't finish this one. In the DVD featurette, I did think it was funny that there's a line where Russell Crowe is mocking the idea of a sequel. He's like, thankfully I die in this movie, so there can't be a sequel.
Speaker 1: Wrong, it's unwatchable, all right.
Speaker 3: Closing thoughts, I think we are showing great courage today by saying that this is a decent movie, pretty good, you know, if you're in the mood, you know, I'd watch it. It's three and a half stars. By the way, a lot of people I follow in letterboxed. They just logged it as having watched it without giving it a rating, which is a coward's move. I plaive be courageous enough to say it was pretty good.
Speaker 1: It is truly so fine. The plot is bad, like so fucking bad. The characters are flat, the writing is mid, but the action sequence in the visuals are actually good enough to bring it up to a solid B minus movie.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna even give it a be okay, but yeah, if you guys really got the Roman Empire on the mind, you can't do much better than this.
Speaker 1: But I would like to have some elaborated closing thoughts with a second pedance corner, the pediasque corner. No no, So I want to talk about what might have been right. So I'm not going to go through and point out historical inaccuracies. We'd be here for hours. It'd be fucking boring. Suffice it to say, there's nothing historically accurate about this film. We talked in our Master and Commander episode about the difference between accurate and authentic, because that film is completely fictionalized, but it's very authentic in this world in details. Yeah, Gladiator isn't authentic ether. But in this Pettis corner, I just want to point out what an awesome, weird, hilarious movie we could have gotten if Ridley Scott and the crew had stuck a little closer to one particular source from the ancient world source background. Okay, the Historia Augusta the History of the Caesars. One of the main sources for the later Roman empires is this weird text called the Historia Augusta. And the reason it's weird is that it is basically a forgery, as in, it isn't what it claims to be. Because it claims to be this collection of biographies written on all these different Roman emperors that ruled from one seventeen to two eighty four. They're emperors, co emperors and their heirs, and it claims to be written by a bunch of different guys, written close ish to the reins it describes, and it claims to be real history. But in reality it's written way later, like in the late three hundreds or maybe even early four hundreds, and is also clearly one guy pretending to be lots of guys, as all these documents and decrees that it presents that are completely unattested anywhere. It's trying to look like history, but it's probably basically closer to a novel. And for some of these later emperors, this is our only historical source. So even though it's so deeply flawed, historians can't throw it away. They need to be like just very careful with how they use it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you were telling me that, like when it comes to Roman history. You know, obviously there was lots of stuff like written down, but a huge bottleneck in terms of like what survived was based on whatever the Christian monks would have recreated in the Dark Ages or whatever, and a lot of the stuff that they chose to recreate was like during the Christian period or during the period closest to Jesus's life, right, And so there's this gap, I think you said, in like the third century essentially right, where we know almost nothing, like very very little.
Speaker 1: The third century also features this like crisis where like Rome almost falls and almost breaks up. I don't want to throw the Christian monks who were doing all that recopying under the bus entirely, but they have limited paper. They're making these judgment decisions. They prioritize Christian stuff and then they prioritize authors that they could plausibly claim were secret Christians, Like they said Seneca was a secret Christian, and they said Virgil was a secret Christian, even though he died before the birth of Christ, Like is not the only thing that factored into what you recopy, Like generally you prioritize things that are shorter than things that are longer. Where like, yeah, Livy wrote one hundred and forty something books on the history of Rome, and like under forty of them survive or whatever. Just like there's a lot of fucking Livy to recopy. You know, let's just let's just take the best bits. Yeah, there's a lot of factors at play, but we need the historia Augusta. So I'm gonna read you some choice quotes about what our wacky source says about the historical events of this film. From the first page of the biography, it says of commedists for straight from his earliest boyhood, he was base, shameless, cruel, lecherous, defiled of mouth too and debauched, already adept at those arts which do not accord with the position of emperor, in that he could mold cups, dance, sing, whistle even play the buffoon and the Gladiator to perfection. You knew he's a bad guy. He was molding cups out here, Jordano, he was arts and crafting. He was not made for the purple. But basically the entire life can be summed up with one line that the anonymous author wrote, everything Commodist did was worse than what he had done before. It starts bad and it just keeps getting worse. So here are some of his sex crimes, which are fun. When he came back to Rome, he celebrated a triumph with Saotorus, his debaucherer, and placed him behind him in the chariot. In the course of the triumphle perception Commdists several times turned his head and kissed him quite openly. He even did this in the orchestra. So right off the bat, I want gay Waquin Phoenix in this film. I want him planning a kiss on his debaucherer. Another one. He had three hundred concubines whom he assembled together for the beauty of their person, recruiting both married women and whoores together with us of ripe age. Also three hundred in number, whom he had collected with beauty as the criterion equally from the commons and the nobility, by force and by payment. He is said to have killed his sister Lucilla. That's the one that we see him have the incestuous crush on in this film. The source says a he kills her, and then having debauched his other sisters, as it is said, and being joined in embraces with a cousin of his father. He even gave one of the concubines the name of his mother. Give me this wacky shit, Phil Ridley Scott have the courage.
Speaker 3: Damn. He's the villain of this movie, and he's made to be so much less insane than in real life, or at least in this like third century hit piece that was published about him.
Speaker 1: Oh, here's some of his sex shit. He used to order the concubines themselves to be debauched before his own eyes. He's a cock guy, and he was not free from this disgrace of submitting sexually to young men, being defiled in every part of his body, even his mouth, with both sexests. God damn, who is the supposed author of this book. It's like a made up name.
Speaker 3: Oh okay, but it's supposed to be a historian or is it like the Perez Hilton of the day or something.
Speaker 1: It's supposed to be a historian, a real history Okay, gotcha? I mean significantly for our story. It says he fought in the arena and he did it with points uncovered. He killed animals in the amphitheater because it was his practice to kill wild animals at home.
Speaker 3: Just to clarify, moving on to his sports related crimes. Yeah, he's defiling the beautiful game.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yes. He purchased chariot horses for himself and drove chariots in the dress of a charioteer. And I just love that this source is so uptight that the fact that he's driving chariots as bad as the sex crimes if you really think about it, because he's.
Speaker 3: Debasing himself right in the Infamia mm hm.
Speaker 1: In the meanwhile, in the dress of a victim slayer. He slaughtered a sacrificial victim, and he fought in the arena with foyles as a gladiator among the chamberlains, with his swords points uncovered. He was called Amazonius because of his passion for his concubine, Marcia, whom he loved to have depicted as an Amazon, and for whose sake he even wished to enter the Roman arena in Amazon's dress. So now we also get some cross dressing in here. He also engaged in gladiatorial combat and accepted a gladiator's name with pleasure, as if he were accepting triumphal honors. He always entered the public shows, and as often as he did so, he ordered it to be inscribed in the public records. He is in fact said to have fought seven hundred and thirty five times. He's the gladiator in the meantime is recorded he fought three hundred and sixty five times under his father, and further, he subsequently achieved so many gladiatorial crowns by defeating or killing net fighters that he reached a thousand. Moreover, he killed with his own hand many thousands of wild animals, even elephants. Frequently it was before the eyes of the Roman peace people that he did this thing. Remember when you think of a gladiator helmet, you think of the one that covers your entire face. That wasn't just practical, that was to hide your face from the infamia of selling your thing for money. And he's out there fighting hundreds, maybe thousands of times in front of the entire people as the emperor, as the guy at the top of the hierarchy.
Speaker 3: He mentions the net fighters Retiarius. A lot of the gladiator types were based on like conquered peoples, the Samaritan or whatever. But one of my favorites, I think, like the most iconic imagery wise, is the fisherman type with the trident. He's got a trident and a net, and on his left arm he has armor, and that is just supposed to represent the fishermen. Apparently that type loses a lot.
Speaker 1: They're also considered the most effeminate because they got a net in a lasso and they appairly spend a lot of time running away from people.
Speaker 3: But like coolest imagery and I think probably found its way into the most like nineteenth century painting or whatever.
Speaker 1: Yeah, moving on from his sports crime just to the general hedonism and perversion, Right, this is what I really really wanted in the movie. He had among his minions men called after their private parts of either sex, and on them he used to bestow his kisses with particular pleasure. He had too, a man whose penis projected further than does that of animals. He called him onos that's the Greek word for ass passes in donkey, and was very fond of him. He even enriched him and appointed him to the priesthood of Rural Hercules. Right, this guy has got an entourage style gang of sex guys. He's my boys, balls, ass, cock and clitteris.
Speaker 3: Yeah, this is my boys, balls, ass and Johnny Drama.
Speaker 1: He is said often to have mixed human excrement with the most expensive foods and did not refrain from tasting it, making a fool of other people as he thought or like this was, he displayed on a silver dish two misshapen hunchbacks covered with mustard, and straight away he gave them advancement and riches. It's so good, it's so weird, it's so wacky. Like that's part of why we love the Roman world so much as we love it because it is alien to us. It is foreign to us, and I think you see that with the fucking blood Sport Gladiator show that we centered an entire film on. This is something that's hard for us to wrap our heads around watching people fight to the death for entertainment, and so I just wanted a little bit more, is all I'm saying.
Speaker 3: This has got to be where that story comes from, of him taking like all of the legless men in Rome and dressing them up like snakes and beating them to death.
Speaker 1: Yes, exactly.
Speaker 3: All these podcasts will mention that story as if it's true, as if this isn't coming from this like insane text.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Such was his lack of propriety that he very often drank in public, sitting in the Amphitheater, a theater in women's clothing. I read that. I'd be like, let's be real, ancient Romans, aren't you all wearing dresses? Okay? Last couple things miscellaneous weird and wacky stuff. We did the sex crimes, politics crimes, and sports crimes. Commonists. We had a sense of humor. He's a man of the people right in his jokes too. He was destructive. For example, he put a starling on the head of a man who he had seen had some hairs that were going white among the black ones like worms. The bird thought it was chasing worms and made the man's head fester with the striking of its beak. He was out. He were doing bird crimes in the text sets and more examples of his jokes. He cut open a fat man in the middle of the stomach so that his inurns suddenly poured out, one of communists's classic bits.
Speaker 3: You know, Lamar, I find out about this communist un less I like him.
Speaker 1: He used to name men one footed or one eyed when he had removed one of their eyes or snapped off one of their feet. Out here given nicknames after maiming people. Is all of this true? Most definitely not? But also who cares? Could you imagine a world in which we lean into the wild and wacky nature of how the Romans viewed one of their own bad emperors. This movie is so sexless that the worst we get is the peck on the lips incests from commedists and you know, orders Maximus to be killed is the only thing that we see him do.
Speaker 3: He kills his father, oh and that yeah yeah, and.
Speaker 1: The killing of his father are the only like cruelties that we see. But I want to see walking Phoenix and drag. I want to see walking Phoenix blowing a guy. I want to see woking Phoenix decapitate an ostrich and fight a giraffe. Give me a banquet scene in which Walking Phoenix literally eat shit and tells people they're missing out before he lifts the fucking silver plate to show the hunchbacks covered in mustard. Man, get weird with it, Get weird with it. So those are my closing thoughts. Is Gladiator B minus the Gladiator we could have gotten with a little bit more courage.
Speaker 3: Motherfucking a sweet. Another great pedance corner on one of our classical history movies.
Speaker 1: I know this is a vein that will be running dry very soon, my friends.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we've only got a few left of these Yeah, but.
Speaker 1: That's all we got for you today. As always, thank you for listening. Please like, subscribe, writ as a comment. Do all that engagement. It really helps the show out. And we will see in two weeks for our next global financial crisis episode.
Speaker 3: Oh yes, yes, excellent. But we'll be returning to Italy, it's true.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we're going to be back old euro Away. Actually, we're gonna be visiting a lot of countries that were part of the Roman Empire. Portugal, Greece, Sane, Greece, Italy.
Speaker 3: All right, well a Rivederci chow chout