Speaker 1: On a steamy summer night in nineteen eighty seven, Susan Woods's father parked outside her little white bungalow. Susan was thirty years old, quiet and shy, and just starting to get her life back together after a messy breakup with her husband. She'd missed a couple of shifts at work, so her dad went to check on her, and inside the house he discovers something no parents should ever have to see. Susan had been strangled and her naked body was crouched on the bathroom floor with her hands tied behind her back.
Speaker 2: I think I started screaming, he did it, he killed her.
Speaker 3: Everyone just knew it had to be Mike.
Speaker 1: This was in the Texas town of Stephenville, which calls itself the Cowboy Capital of the World. Like a lot of small towns, everyone kind of thought they knew one another, and everyone immediately thought they knew who killed Susan Woods. But there's another thing about small towns.
Speaker 2: Sometimes I guess intuition is not your.
Speaker 1: Friend, and sometimes things just aren't what they seem.
Speaker 2: Because in the interview, they asked, Michael, what do you think happened to your wife? Well, the correct answer would be I have no idea, but that's not what Michael said.
Speaker 1: And when Michael didn't know, what nobody knew was there's a lot more going on here than just the murder of a young woman.
Speaker 2: This Lieutenant millerst Denville Police, I need to talk to you about Susan Woods. Hecauid. I really don't want to talk to you. I said, you don't have to, but I think you want to hear what I've got to say.
Speaker 1: This is the story of killing from back in the day and the secrets that kept it unsolved for so long.
Speaker 2: I can't tell you why the Grand Jerry didn't indet, but I can tell you looking at those pictures, it made no sense.
Speaker 1: The happiness turn to anger. Now you want me to talk about this story, how dare you? It's also a on how tragedy and despair can light the path that leads to the truth. He just he kept telling me, you know that I'm special. I'm a special one that's still today's shivers through my spine.
Speaker 2: We've got to hit on your fingerprints, we got to match on the mirror, and we've got to match off of a coke can.
Speaker 1: And sometimes the truth comes from an entirely unexpected place.
Speaker 2: So I call him, he said, I bought his RV, and as I'm cleaning out this RV, I'm finding all kinds of crazy stuff. He said. There's pictures that you got, some sort of a manifesto.
Speaker 3: I had read once that the most terrible of lies is not that which is spoken, but that which has lived. I must admit that up to this point that had been the story of my life. Now what do you make of that?
Speaker 2: He's a very mean, brutal person. The victims I know about are a smidget of what he did.
Speaker 1: My name is Brian Burrough, raised in a Texas town a lot like Stephenville. To me, what happened there has always been about more than one tragic killing. It says something about the way we live in Texas, about who gets to matter and who gets to fit in, and especially about how we treat those who don't. From Texas Monthly. This is Stephenville coming June twentieth