Speaker 1: Phoning in. We're taking your calls on the LA Clippers right now.
Speaker 2: This peace Clippers Talk on.
Speaker 1: Aaron on Demand, the Clippers Show of Record.
Speaker 2: Your chance to react to everything.
Speaker 1: Clippers Clippers news happens.
Speaker 2: Let me guess it's about Kawhi.
Speaker 1: Here we are and now.
Speaker 2: Here it is the host of your LA Clippers three and postgame.
Speaker 1: At follow Adam a Adam Osley, Ain't no sunshine. Clippers losing Phoenix again to the Suns one eleven to one oh nine. They lose these season series. They are zero to three this year against the Suns. I'm at a Maslin. Welcome into Clippers Talk. Coming up your phone calls at eight six six nine, eight seven two five seventy. But while we have a moment less pause ten seconds for station identification here on A five seventy other sports.
Speaker 2: This is LA Clippers Basketball, AM five seventy, KLAC Los Angeles, ninety seven, KYSRHD two Los Angeles and iHeartRadio station.
Speaker 1: Third loss this season to the Phoenix Suns. They have the head to head tiebreaker over the Clippers. Now, as the Clippers defense was not good enough at all in the first half. They got blitzed the Suns were eight of eleven from three in the first quarter. And I know what you guys are gonna say, Well, they were all open. First of all, they weren't all open. Second of all, even if you left them all open, it would be hard for a team to shoot seventy three percent eight of eleven from three in a quarter. I'm telling you, even in today's league, there's a lot more shooting if you left them all open, purposefully open gym stuff doesn't happen like that, but it did. And I think there's something too. The Sun's just feeling unusually confident against the Clippers because they had already beat them twice. They had come back down nine under four minutes left in Game one of the season at into a Dome to win that one in overtime, and then they came back down twenty one the second game and into a Dome a week later on Halloween when they started the third quarter fifteen of fifteen from the field that was hotter than the center of the sun stuff tonight, still pretty hot outer layers. But the Clippers, Yeah, they're responsible for I think overhelping at times on Booker on KD and those guys making the Clippers pay the others. Royce O'Neal got the start. He was very good. He ended up I think with three three pointers made. Yeah, he started like three of three, ended up three of eight. So he did cool off, but some of the damage was done. The Clippers were down after that hot shooting first quarter by the Phoenix Suns. The Clippers were down by only four. They were shooting well too, they were four of seven. They couldn't hang volume wise with the Suns. The Suns ended up making twelve more threes in this game in the Clippers, and the Clippers still fought and had it to within one after a ten zero run late, even with the Suns getting thirty six more points off of three pointers. Now to counter that, the Clippers had sixty points in the paint, the Sun's just twenty four. That's how you do it. But I don't want to call it a fake comeback. But they just put themselves in a position because it wasn't This was a game. It was not over, but they put themselves in a position where they had to be so perfect. After being down one o seven to ninety six with two forty three left in the fourth quarter, they go on the ten oh run norm three pointer Harden fouled on a three hits all three zubots detonates at the ram. Should have been an end one Norman Powell runner, the Clippers are down one. In fact, how quickly did that happen? I want to see the time span of this. So it's one oh seven to ninety six at the two forty three mark. By the time it's one o seven to one oh six, there's forty seconds left. So the Clippers were able to pull that off in what was that like a minute forty five ten? I'll run it's crazy my time. Lord, math was probably bad there, but I love the fact they didn't quit when the finish line got closer. They played better. If they had some of that urgency earlier on, they probably crossed the finish line. But my point about margin of error, when you're down like that late with the clock working against you, you have to be perfect. And unfortunately Norman Powell missed a free throw. He's been missed a fourth quarter. He's shooting over fifty from three and fourth quarters this year, just like he did last year, shooting well over fifty percent from the field in fourth quarters. He's I think top five in points average in fourth quarters in the NBA, at over eight per game in the fourth quarter alone. He had just brought them to within one, but after James Harden fouled on the other end on Bradley Beal, Coach lu challenged it, and if you lose that, you're out of timeouts. They did it. I thought it was obvious they were gonna lose it. They did. Bradley Bual made both Clippers are down three. Coach Bud did the right thing. They don't have a timeout. We're up three. I'm not gonna let them get a shot off to tie this game. So they fiuled Norman Powell with nineteen seconds left. Little smart. It was a great move. Norm misses the first. You gotta hit both to put pressure on Fee to have to hit both. He missed the first hit the second. Phoenix is still up by two. Clippers get into the foul game with Grayson Allen. He hits the next two Subots gets a dunk on the other end, they foul Grayson Allen again. He intentionally misses the last free throw because there was just a second left and the Clippers didn't have a timeout to advance it. If they got the rebound anyways, then the Clippers lose one nine. I don't know if there was the proper urgency and intensity with rotations to start this game. I saw it in the second half. I saw the Clippers cleaning the glass through the second best defensive rebounding team in the league to Milwaukee in the second half. After they gave up fifteen second chance points to Phoenix in the first half, just three in the second half. So they're more than capable of ending possessions. Obviously, that is a part of defense. They just didn't do it in the first half. The Clippers in the first half gave up sixty points and then the second half gave up fifty one. They were better. They won that third quarter by eight, They won the fourth by three. Don't put yourself in too big of a hole over just kind of silly miscues out there with late rotations with I think overhelping at times. I mean, there was even while they were better overall in the second half with their defense. They gave up a wide open three pointer and it was a big one to Devin Booker early in the fourth after Man just had a big dunk off a KPJ feed and Terrence Man got seven minutes in this game, and he's on the outs right now in the minutes crunch, he is the Sun's call time out, and somehow Kawhi and Norm got crossed up. It's worth this wasn't a lack of effort. This was a lack of communication. With this open three. I don't know who it was on, and I'd have to see the play again. I think it might have been on Kauai, but he and Norm, both of them went somewhere else and just left d book for open for a straightaway three. Those are just silly mistakes, miscues for communication. Now, maybe that's just it's Kawhi's a eighth game. Some of that stuff is expected. He ended up having a bad turnover. This was the first fourth quarter he had played. He hit his first shot and he took in the fourth quarter this season. That was good to see over like three defenders to start things off in the fourth his first fourth quarter minutes, he got to twenty eight. They bumped him up a little bit from twenty four to twenty eight. That's exactly what I thought it would be. At one point, for a second, I was getting greedy. I was like, are they gonna give him thirty. But I don't know if this was fatigue or you just mishandle it. But Kawhi ended up having a turnover and the Suns had a run out for a layup to make it a ten point game at I think one oh two ninety two. Bad turnover. You don't normally see from him in a moment like that. He had just played great defense on KD who still somehow made this jumper on him. He did have a block on Booker that led to that man dunk off the KPJ feed like Kawhi's fingerprints, had a lay up before that. We're all over the fourth quarter. He ended up with I think six points in the fourth, So baby steps forward. Kawhi is playing more minutes, different lineups, different rotations out there. Some of you guys are really going after KPJ in this one. I'll say there were a few times where I was frustrated where he's out there next to Avista, Zubats and Kawhi and he's taken the majority of the shots. I didn't like that, But I mean, he just had arguably his best game of the season against Milwaukee with doing a lot of the little things. He was really good against Boston too, and they almost won that game that third quarter he had, So I'm not gonna be overly harsh, but yeah, I didn't think he was great in this one. Terrence missed a couple of wide open threes in his seven minutes when he got in in the fourth quarter. I get what coach Lee was doing. First of all, he doesn't trust his backup big. Second of all, they're getting killed with three pointers, so why not go small? Have more switchability out there? And Terrence Man has been good on Devin Booker in his career. Kawhi did miss some really good looks from three. He did he was seven or fourteen still, but just one of five from three. The Clippers miss some good looks, but Kawhi, it's a few more, might be a different game. James Harden, of course, won five of ten, but the Clippers put themselves in this position where the late game execution had to be so perfect that Norm couldn't afford to leave that one point out there at the charity stripe. Don't let it get to that point eight too long. I know Phoenix had their issues closing out games last season. They've been better so far this season kind of seemed like those demons were coming back to haunt them for a second. The Clippers defense, it was better when it needed to be, but I would say it needed to be better a little bit earlier as well. The third quarter, I do love what I saw there. The Clippers got back in a hurry like it was.
Speaker 3: Man.
Speaker 1: Derek Jones Junior missed White up in three point there. In that third quarter, Norm hits a three. It's a ten point game. After the Clippers were down by thirteen and a half. Kawhi had a ridiculous fade away over two guys on the far side baseline. The movement was special. I believe Booker was his primary defender and he just went to work. There was Zoobots with an and one on an offensive rebound. Nick Richards could not handle him at all. That's why he was my player to watch. I thought that would happen. Norm had a beautiful feed to of eats of zoobots like he was James Harden going down I think the left side of the lane. He left it to Zoo for a two handed dunk. In the third and there was a turnover by the Suns and Kawhi missed a wide open three pointer as James Harden set him up beautifully in the far side corner. That was one of them that would have been big. But after Norm hit two free throws, the Clippers were down one. It was a fifteen to three run in that third quarter start things off. The right energy and spirit was there coming out of the half. But Booker hit a three on Dereck Jones Junior that was definitely not wide open guys, to make it sixty no to sixty seven. It was an insane shot. See, the reason you can't let so many wide open threes happen is because there are going to be times against Phoenix where you give them zero airspace and they still hit them. So you can't give me the easy ones because you know some of those tough shot, tough over the top jump shooting threes are going to happen from Booker and KD at some point, and that was one of them. That three was insane. DJ was right there. Then Zoo had ooh, just a filthy play going around plumbly for the reverse layup to make it sixty nine. All believe that's a nice score. Booker then goes to the free throw line, Harden goes back KD jumper like there were so many times as Alan hit a three pointer to put him back up seventy six to seventy. I felt like the Clippers were gaining momentum and the Suns would hit a silencer shot, a momentum blunting type of shot, they would stem the tide. They made some big ones.
Speaker 2: But.
Speaker 1: I'm at least glad the Clippers got back into this ball game. They might have lost it though in some ways at the very end of the third quarter, where until Harden made that big three pointer to bring it to eighty three to seventy eight. Hitting into the fourth, the Suns went on a quick let's see Tyers Jones three radluvial jump for I think they went on a quick seven to zero run. Yeah, the Clippers had it to within seventy six to seventy five, and within the next less than ninety seconds the Suns are up. By Clippers were still there late, we'll talk more about it. Eight six six ninety seven two five seventy eight six six ninety seven two five seventy is the phone number I'm Ada Mouslin. After the Clippers lose in Phoenix, one eleven to one o nine to the Suns. You're listening to Clippers Hockey on the M five seven LA Sports. He throws it up, the window finishes in the fowl.
Speaker 2: Los Angeles Slipper Nation. This is your home for the LA Clippers. LA Clippers. Take us with you on the Ihearts radio app.
Speaker 1: Clippers lose by two in Phoenix. They made a late push. They had it to within one after they were down by eleven and within like two minutes. Who was down to one less than two minutes, but normal miss a free throw. It was consequential. Clippers had to play the foul game. Grays and Allen did not miss. They lose one eleven to one oh nine in Phoenix to the Suns. Clippers dropped at twenty six and twenty on the season. Appreciate you guys in the chat at Clippers Talk on the YouTube. We'll get your phone calls coming up here. But I just saw this number because I've been talking about the Clippers coming into this game shooting just thirty three percent from three over the last ten games, and then tonight they shoot thirty one percent. Well, who had this, Miles Johnson? This is an interesting number. Over their last fifteen games, they're shooting basically thirty three percent on the dot, thirty two point nine percent to be specific. Ah, my pedantic self is annoying my other self. So yeah, fifteen games of shooting well below league average, and I wonder what their record was over that time. They're eight and seven, well, shooting thirty two point nine percent from three for fifteen games. That tells you just how good their defense is. I don't know many teams that could shoot that poorly for that long and still have a winning record. Eight and seven. Kawhi looked fifty to fifty tight. He wasn't very assertive early guys. His first I think his first points came off that dunk in the second quarter where it looked like he had hurt his hip or his hamstring. That was at the nine to forty five mark of the second He had the dunk where he blew by Mason Plumbley after a steal. I was concerned because it looked like it happened not even when he landed, but like what he was going up I think. But then he played through it and looked solid. He went for that tough reverse layup in the second half. Couldn't get it. Well, here's here's my problem. I like, I've already pointed this out many times Vintage, So you can't leave KD, book, Royce Beale, and Grayson wide open expect the a miss. It's like, well, they don't shoot one hundred percent on wide open threes, none of those guys. You average it out, they probably shoot something like forty five percent. Those players on wide open threes are on open threes. First of all, katiean Book, weren't the guys that were being left open? And Royce Beale Allen sure the suns, even with the amount of open threes they got, they still hit them at a higher rate than you normally hit open threes at that that's my point. I'm not happy about the open threes either. I'm just saying even with that, they still had just an incredible shooting night. Some of that is on the Clippers, though, of course they have to be better because you know, Booker and KD are gonna hit shots that you can't defend, shots that there's nothing you can do about it. Let's go to tags and Walnut tageous here on Clipper stop with out of Maza and what's up.
Speaker 4: Hey, Adam. First of all, just before I make my point, I wanted to say that in that first quarter off that norm three Miss, I think Derek Jones had one of the best rebound dunk who I've seen as a Clipper.
Speaker 1: Oh that futback dunk. That was sensational. Like he's already had three or four Dunk of the Year candidates, This one might have been my.
Speaker 4: Favorite, especially off of Miss. It was like a dunk contest, someone throwing it off the board to him and it was just it was just so perfect. It was like, I don't think I've seen a better, you know, Clipper dunk off Miss.
Speaker 1: That that that might be the best Clipper dunk off of a Miss since Blake dunked on the back of Gasol.
Speaker 4: That's true. I forgot about that one. But Adam, when I when I looked at this game, you know, I'm more encouraged overall. And the reason why is it's just you can kind of see when Qui is working his way back and we see that moment of the moments of greatness, but he's still testing himself. Clippers are still trying to play with him, learn to play with him again, get him integrated. And it's just going to take time. You know, it might take another month before we see the Clippers, you know, fully oiled and and like the you know, a fine too machine, like a fine two car. But you know, when you look at last year and I was comparing contrast to the last year's team to this year's team, there was a for a good amount of games where the Clippers last year, you know, they were playing on the string. Everyone knew what they were doing, and everyone had them as title contenders, everyone from the natcial media and we all thought, you know, they have a chance to win it all. And when I compare and contrast, the two teams defensively were better than last year's team by far.
Speaker 1: They were sixteenth in the NBA defensively last season.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so these are the things that give me a lot of encouragement when I compare those teams. I mean, last year's team to this year's team, defensively were far better. And now what they increase opportunities for Zubuk and norm They've shown that they're more than capable of carrying the offensive load. So when you look at last year's team, maybe you could say, you know, we have a little bit we lost a little bit off the bench because Powell and Westbrook at times, but mostly Powell. When he came off the bench, he provided you know, that that six male role here, we're kind of we get it. Sometimes we don't, but overall we you know, offensively, once we have Kawhi back, you know, playing like an MVP, we have I think even more weapons offensively than we did last year. As far as with Cowell and Zubac with their roles being increased now, I think that it's just going to take time and Coach Lou's gonna have to find those rotations where maybe he's gonna need to leave Zoo two of the big four in the game at the same time and go about it that way. But I think overall, that's why I'm encouraged, because I don't see a whole lot of you know, like where we've set back from last year to this year. I think our ceiling could even be higher. It's going to take time and everyone needs to play together. And the biggest thing is the role players. We can't have done and Darry Jones both shooting poorly, especially when you go into the playoffs.
Speaker 1: In a series. That is my biggest concern. One of those guys where both of those guys go cold if one of them's hot, if just they just need one of them to be on from three. Honestly, they just need one of DJ or Chris Dunn to be on from three in a series and that should be enough. But I have that same concern that they just don't have enough shot making or shot creation in a seven game series.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I agree, I think, but you know, our ceiling is still there. You know, people threw us like, hey, we're not gonna like you know, we're gonna be in last place or whatever without Paul George. But if you really think about it, and if you compare last year's team this year's team, I think our ceiling is a little bit actually higher than what it was last year. If everyone can play their roles better. And the perfect example, Adam is look at Dallas last year. They were in the fifth or sixth seed. They they at the right time, they all clicked and they played so well and they made it to the final.
Speaker 1: They were also going to lose in the first round though, if Kawhi was healthy.
Speaker 4: So I agree, and it was to us that.
Speaker 1: They got pretty fortunate. And then PJ Washington goes off against Okay, see you like, but that's how the playoffs go. And I appreciate the phone call. TA, just we got to take a time out here, like right place, right time matchups, you have a player who, uncharacteristically a role player, steps up in a series and plays at a different level than you expected, and that can pull you through Sometimes. Clippers lose in Phoenix one eleven to one oh nine. Quick time out, will come back. More Clippers stock here on the M five seventy LA Sports.
Speaker 2: The Clippers. You're listening to LA Clippers Basketball. Take us with you wherever you are on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 1: Clippers lose by two in Phoenix. They storm back. They held the Suns without a field goal in the last two minutes and forty three seconds, but Phoenix made the free throws, Powell missed his, and the Clippers lose one eleven to one o nine to the Sons. Man The Sons hit twenty two to three pointers. They needed all of them, as La Murray points out in a two point when they needed all of those twenty two made three pointers. Clippers beat them up in the paint, but from the outside, the Sons were special tonight, Clippers defensively were not good enough. At La Murray the NU there's some Kawhi Leonard's sound there if we could go to that, I do want you to hear from Kawhi. In fourteen minutes on the floor together, Law Murray said, the Clippers starting five man lineup of Harden, Powell, Derek Jones, Junior Leonard and Zubots outscored the Sons thirty nine to twenty four. So their five man's starting lineup did outscore them. All other Clippers lineups were outscored eighty seven to seventy in the other thirty four minutes. And here was La Murray asking Kawhi what needs to be better from the bench lineups?
Speaker 5: What do you feel like the bench units, especially with you out there, needs to do to you know, get better over this next Uh, let's just say this word chip that y'all are on.
Speaker 6: Uh, just keep competing on both ends, sharing the ball, talking in the defensive ends and we'll be good, especially offensively.
Speaker 5: Like where do y'all you know, what do you see out there that you know you can say like this time next week we can we can be a little bit more crisp on that than it or fourth.
Speaker 6: I think just sharing the ball and just getting into sets instead of coming down playing slow. You got to play with a little bit more pace, and that's setting screens with pace. I'm coming off the screens with pace as well, and obviously trusting teammates.
Speaker 1: There was Kawhi Leonard post game. We'll take a quick time out here, last one of the night. Clippers lose one to eleven to one, O nine to the Phoenix. There Kauai just kind of simplifies it. Talk more on defense, cut harder. He always talks about basketball is a simple game. You do the fundamentals, you do the little things right, other things fall into place. Of course, that's that San Antonio Spurs makeup. Clippers lose by two in Phoenix. They will be in San Antonio coming up next on Wednesday. More on that as well. I'm Ota Maslans and you're listening to Clippers dock here on a five to seven. Other sports throws it up.
Speaker 2: The window finishes in the fowel Los Angeles Slipper Nation. This is your home for the LA Clippers.
Speaker 6: LA Clippers.
Speaker 2: Take us with you on the Ihearts radio app.
Speaker 1: Clippers lose one eleven to one oh nine in Phoenix. That is your final. They drop to twenty six and twenty on the season before we get to Daniel West for your Western Conference standings update. Let's hear from Hojse and Southgate. Jose, what's good?
Speaker 4: Can you hear me? All right?
Speaker 1: I can hear you. I know you're hurting right now. Team man's your guy and he's not playing much.
Speaker 7: No, yeah he is then, but I do want to say shout out Cartno had a little bit of night work, so I had to catch that second half on iHeart nice. But what I did see was what I did see was cart Leonard that first don and then like NDI with his knee slocked. But then it's stills near my outre in the fourth quarter. That looks like a winter leave. I hope this turned down like a little bit of a Bill's.
Speaker 3: And chief situation. Bill's winging the regular season, but when we see him in the playoffs, we'll have their number. Don't even worry about it. And they needed all those threes, and we were right, we were right behind them at him. So I feel pretty good. It might be the night work, but here we go.
Speaker 2: Let's go.
Speaker 1: Great phone call Jose in Southgate there. I like that comparison Clippers of the Chiefs once they get the Phoenix Suns in a playoff series. I do feel like it's a good matchup for this if they could just be healthy against them for once in a playoff series. All right, let's get to Daniel West on how the West is one. After the Clippers lose by two in Phoenix. We need that good Western Conference standings update here, Daniel.
Speaker 8: All Right, I just hit refreshed on the computer, so this should be up to date here. Number one as they've been for a while now. The Oklahoma City Thunder thirty seven and eight second. The Rockets had a big win tonight in Boston thirty one and fourteen, thirty one and sixteen record at at three, Grizzlies fourth, the Nuggets holding steady twenty eight and eighteen fifth place, twenty six and eighteen record the Clipper they had Lakers excuse me, Lakers twenty six and twenty are the Clippers at sixth, seventh of the Wolves twenty five and twenty one Phoenix Suns to one tonight over. The Clippers are in eighth, twenty four and twenty one, ninth Dallas Mavericks twenty five and twenty two. And rounding out your playing situation, the Kings, who are now two games above five hundred and twenty four and twenty two.
Speaker 1: Okay, so I see the Rockets one on the Thompson buzzer beater tonight in Boston.
Speaker 8: Kings one.
Speaker 1: They're in a secure spot, the Houston Rockets. They have the head to head tiebreaker over the Clippers as well. It's not just Phoenix Denver Nuggets. They have it because of conference record right now over the Clippers. Clippers are one to zero against the Lakers. But now I'm starting to think about these head to head tiebreakers, Daniel, after a game like this where they they lost all three games against Phoenix.
Speaker 8: You know, you say the season is long, and do all these games? Yes, because when you look at the end of the year and you look at these tiebreakers, suddenly seeding becomes a bigger issue. And if you don't have tie breakers over anyone, it's a rough ride.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Because like you can look at like, Okay, the Clippers are only two games back of the four seed held by the Denver Nuggets, but really is three games back because they have the tiebreaker so yeah, these games are consequential. Daniel we s great job is always.
Speaker 8: Thank you say madam.
Speaker 1: Clippers losing Phoenix by two. Next game coming up in San Antonio. They need that one. The Spurs, they're twenty and twenty three, the three and seven, the last ten. They're desperate for a victory. Clippers have to play with more desperation to start the ball game before we get out of here. I do want to thank the Clippers organization, Ralph Olobrian Seaman, Noah Igo, Carlo Jimenez on the call. Our producer here in the bank, that would be Daniel West Elite Sastition, Chris Taylor appreciates you, the callers, the listeners, the chatters. We'll talk to you guys on Wednesday, Clippers in San Antonio four pm. Is your pregame show? Talk to you then?
Speaker 2: This has been Clippers Talk right here on your home for the LA Clippers Audio Network. Don't miss a single edition all season long after every game.
Speaker 1: The volume is truly impressive.
Speaker 2: And make sure to follow wherever you podcast for special offer editions.
Speaker 3: Clippers Talk.
Speaker 4: Maybe