Speaker 1: Hey, everyone, Welcome to the Team House. I'm Jack Murphy, and today we have an episode that I have wanted to do almost since this podcast started. It is a very unlikely and relatively unknown story about the US Coast Guard, and many of you would probably be surprised to hear that in the nineteen nineties the Coast Guard was down in Central America and South America conducting operations that you would normally associate with special forces going down there and training local units and accompanying them out into the jungles and destroying drug labs. Giuseppe Weller, our guest today, was one of those individuals assigned to what was called the DAT, the Drug Interdiction Assist Team. They worked hand in glove with the DEA and other agencies. The program went on, you know, through the late eighties into I guess the mid to late nineteen nineties. But we'll get into the whole history of it. But I mean, I think it's a fascinating story and I think more people need to know about it. So I appreciate you coming on the show today.
Speaker 2: Thank you glad to be here.
Speaker 1: So if you could tell us a little bit about your own kind of upbringing and how that sort of took you towards eventually the Coast Guard.
Speaker 3: So I was originally born in Italy.
Speaker 2: My father was a US Army staff sergeant, so met my mother there. I have two other brothers, So I spent fourteen years between Germany and Italy on an American basis. And then, you know, it's a little staff story. My father, you know, Vietnam veteran, got in trouble in the army, so they separated, my mom separated, and the only thing that the Army did was send us back to the United States. So I was never back in Italy. I was pretty much, you know, a soccer player back at those days. So when I came to the United States, we bounced around from Maryland to d c. And Virginia, and I was going through high schools and the only way back to Italy was to try to get into like the military to go back.
Speaker 3: And that's what I was trying to do, is to go back home.
Speaker 2: And you know, I was seventeen then, and then my you know, my mother was like, no, no, Army, you have got to stay in you know, something else. And I remember going down to the recruiter for the Air Force. My brother was in the Air Force, my other one. So I didn't like to recruiting side of it, you know. I wanted him to give me something like I was going to be on shore patrol doing some kind of police work. He wouldn't guarantee. And so when I went back home that day, my mom was like, hey, the Coast Guard called. And so that's what got me to the Coast Guard. So I went to go see the recruiter down in Alexandria, Virginia, and I spent a few days down there, and then I realized, you know what they did, not just Coast Guard. You know, there was a bunch of drug war pictures that the recruiter had on his you know, on his on his on his board and stuff. So that's what started everything. And then you know, I just I enlisted. I forget what they called it, but I enlisted before I came out of high school. So in January. I enlisted in January, my senior year. I was only seventeen. And then once I left high school, I went to Cape manew Jersey to my recruiting there and I got my first station down in Key West from nineteen eighty six to nineteen ninety, I was on a service effects ship, which was a hydrofoil. Basically, there was three of them down there at the Petro Sheerwater and the Seahawk. So once I got down there, that's where my law enforcement piece started to come together, and you know, I started to experience how law enforcement worked in the maritime side of things. And you know, I was E two, became an E three there and then I struck my boast inmate, you know rating, and I was asked to stay one more year from the billet officer if I could help out because they have nobody to come in at an E four. And I did that, and that's how things started to turn around. In my last year. My commanding officer was Bickham was his last name. He was a law enforcement detachment team captain for the lead that's down in Miami, and he had asked me, you know, if I wanted to stay in law enforcement, he could get me to a unit that was very special in the Coast Guard and it was unheard of. The only problem was you needed to be an E five and above and I was only an E four. So the billet officers basically gave me a guarantee that if I did one year for him in Key West, he would send me there without their knowledge and that would be my orders.
Speaker 3: So that's how it all worked out.
Speaker 2: So in nineteen ninety, I basically flew into Portsmouth, Virginia.
Speaker 3: That's where they were stationed at.
Speaker 2: They had they had an office building away from the District five headquarters in Portsmouth, so it was on top of a bank, so they were segregated there. We still wore uniforms, but I showed up there basically, and that's how it all started. So when I walked in the office as an E four, my commanding officer, Imhoff, which his name was like looking at me, kind of strange, and my orders were in place, and that's how it started. So they ad he had to take me in and we started going from there.
Speaker 1: So before we get into the sort of like Coastguard special ops, if you will, could you tell our audience a little bit about the more like historic normal role of the Coast Guard and what their job is, what your job was, so that they can kind of understand how different and unique this specific program was.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so basically the Coast Guard, you know, you go out there search and rescue with the primary missions. You know, you have small stations all over the United States and abroad you have some like in Italy, all streets you have those times, and you have they do a lot of navigation buoy tending, so all the navlites and in the lakes and Michigan around you know, the borders of the United States. They patrol a small side of the United States. They have small boats to you know, ships are about three hundred and seventy five feet long.
Speaker 3: You can be on a cutter for a while.
Speaker 2: But you know, they have all kinds of ratings, mechanics and bosn's mates and you know, all kinds of different job aspects of it. But your primary missions is search and rescue. And plus they have a bonics they have you know, they have people who have diving techniques and all these little pieces. And your basic job is search and rescue and buoy tending or navigation. And that's kind of like the two little primary areas you're into and that's what you do pretty much for your career. And you kind of pick and choose your routes what you want to do, what you're rating is, and you kind of grow yourself through you know, through rank all the way through.
Speaker 3: So you know, I always wanted to stay in the law enforcement mission.
Speaker 2: You know, you always tasked to do some law enforcement and some some search and rescue and some other things that are required.
Speaker 3: But you basically a search and rescue kind of guy.
Speaker 1: Did the Coast Guard or do they have a sort of mission of like border security so to speak, that they are kind of like protecting America, you know, are our East and West coast and have like that sort of interdiction mission also.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so we do a lot of maritime interdiction.
Speaker 2: It could be human trafficking, you know, immigrants coming over. If you do that. You know, we're small and I think if I remember when I was in the academy, they're a boot camp. I think we're a thirty six thousand total at the time in the eighties, and I think the New York Police Department was like thirty eight thousand. Yeah, so a lot smaller. So we kind of try to do those tasks. And you know, we have a lot of mileage the mileage around the United States to cover, but we also have you know places abroad that we go also in other places, so we're very like small when it comes to it, kind.
Speaker 3: Of like, you know, not in maritime, it's not so elite.
Speaker 2: Nowadays it is because it has changed, But in those days, your primary admission was always search and rescue, and then law enforcement, you know, assisting in the immigration work that was just alwa secondary, but search and rescue was always the first primary.
Speaker 1: And so when you walked through the door as an e for to this highly specialized unit, kind of secretive unit in the Coast Guard, what was your conception of what they did.
Speaker 2: I had no idea, zero I had when I got the orders to go. I remember my commanding officers basically saying, hey, you're going to have fun, and I had no idea where going to get into. I didn't know what I was doing. I wasn't like, you know, one of those in the Coast Guard. Basically, you know, you're not into this elite mode where you're always training every day, you're in the gymnasium, you're doing this, you're doing that, you're on the range left and right. We did small these qualifications, We did some small things, but nothing to that scale. So I had no idea what I was walking into except I go to this unit and you're going to figure it out then.
Speaker 1: And what did you learn when you got your in brief.
Speaker 2: I was, first of all, I wasn't in good shape. That was my biggest thing. I was like, Wow, I got to get in shape, because once I got there, I started to learn about who was there. It had been in place since nineteen eighty eight, basically when they put the first guys in place. And then when I got into there, my basic instruction was, Hey, you got to get ready for Ranger School. This is what we're doing. Here's what we helped the DEA. We're going to go to South America. This is what we do down there, your assists, all the boating mechanics that we had to figure out.
Speaker 3: The instructions is also to the host countries.
Speaker 2: So but the basic thing was to you need to qualify yourself through Ranger School and other programs that we have to make yourself that we can get down there together the safe And then I recognize real quick, like this is real and you know a little nervous about going to Ranger School.
Speaker 1: Obviously I want to ask you about that for sure, But also I guess maybe we should take a second to explain to folks why was the Coast Guard doing this in the first place, because, as most of us understand, yeah, you have the DEA, they have the counter drug mission, makes sense, you have special forces that goes down there and they'll train the local military. Okay, got it. The Coast Guard, you know, the search and rescue mission, the sort of interdiction on our coastlines. That's one thing. But now we're talking about you guys. I mean, primarily you were in a it sounds like the landlocked country of Bolivia. So I mean it's very interesting, like how did the Coast Guard end up down there doing this?
Speaker 2: So for my knowledge that I knew from before, basically what happened was they used to have the US military down there, so doing kind of like some kind of narcotics enforcement down Then they figured out that, hey, listen, we can't really do that in host countries like an after war.
Speaker 3: You can't be down there doing some of those missions.
Speaker 2: So at the time that the Coast Guard was with the Department of Transportation, so it wasn't the Department of Defense. So that was one of the pieces to get DOT in. And then also they realized the DA was like, we have a ton of rivers down here and we don't have riverine expertise, so they needed a.
Speaker 3: Bunch of guys to show off basically that had like small.
Speaker 2: Boat knowledge of how to run boats, repair boats, navigate and help out with you know, taking a team from one point to another point in those riverine waters. And there was no mapping system down there, so you're kind of in the middle of the Jungles and the Amazon basically, and.
Speaker 3: That's how it all pulled out.
Speaker 2: So once they got the dot in there, which is the US Coast Guard, then then it was easier to facilitate the mission to help out, and DA had requested that. So once it all way through headquarters and they figured things out, and our admiral at the time was Admiral Yost, he put things together to assist and I don't remember what the unit looked like when it first started, but I think he grew to about twenty to twenty two total staff between some officers and the enlisted. So and then they put us together to where we came together, and they had enough different expertises, you know, from mechanics to bosn's mates, to gunners mates, to people like that that can navigate certain things. And then some officers in place to you know, take the team down as you know, commanding officer, they put it all together and they figured things out, who would deploy went and where after you passed these courses basically.
Speaker 1: And the commandant you mentioned, the commandant of the Coast Guard, Yost, he had a special ops background and so he was very like like when he got a sense that this could be a Coast Guard mission, he was all about it wasn't it?
Speaker 2: Yeah, one hundred percent. You couldn't have a better support system than that comment on sitting in there running that show.
Speaker 3: And you know, just to realize how.
Speaker 2: Far up the chaining went, all the way up to Washington like where we were at in this unit.
Speaker 3: It was very special.
Speaker 1: And so the the DEA is already down there. The early operation was blast Furnace and then the next one was snow cap and so they're down there doing their thing with the host nation partners and that that interfaces with the Coast Guard. Well, let's talk a little bit about the training pipeline that you went through. You're a young Coast e four all of a sudden going through all this tactical training, you know, qualifying on.
Speaker 2: M sixteen at that time, we also had the old colts and switching things out to uh we went into the baretta and the glock. So when we went to Ranger School, everything was brand new. My my biggest thing was I was in shape. I didn't know, you know, and I was the youngest, so I believe I was even twenty one, twenty two, So when I walked into the unit, I was the youngest one there. Obviously, you know, it was pretty big to me because I recognized real quick, like, hey, you have a lot of mature people down here that know what they're doing. And the risk was different. You know, as a young person you don't have the risks so high in your head. So you get older, you know the risk is there, you see it more often. So the Ranger School was the biggest thing that that was the biggest hurdles. I knew I needed to go through that and pass that because they had two different things. So if you arrived at the unit at a certain time, Ranger School was the piece you were going to. If you arrived late into the unit and Ranger School was already I think they did one a year, I believe you had to go to Marine Recon School, so I had a couple of guys go to Marine Rencon and which one did you want? At the time, it was easy to go to Ranger School because we went in more of a pack of a group. And then if you went to Marine Recon, you only went as you know, whoever it was. You could have been going by yourself, and that training is you were just by yourself. You went there. You didn't have a team next to you, so you had to deal with the actual Marine Corps. Was different because you were dealing with the Marine Corps guys. There was no other coasts. But in Ranger School it was it was a pack, right, We had coasts in there, and we had DA agents mixed in together to work together at.
Speaker 1: Ranger School, and it was like a familiarization with patrolling, if I understood correctly.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So we did all of the phase except for jump school, and I believe it's the desert phase they called it, so, but everything else was in place. We did all of the other pieces that were necessary to put things together. A lot easier for us to do a lot of the military side of things. And Dad, it will struggle us the way the military did some of the work because DA's structure differently lawnenforcement right outside, it's a little bit more technical on things, and the military has been pretty pretty much a little bit more like you know, just going and and take just take over everything. But the law enforcement side of it had a little bit of a problem to it because there was a lot of rules that they weren't allowed to engage in sure as the military would.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no, absolutely, but the point is to give you the patrolling skills, but also so that you can teach it right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, correct. Everything that we did, the biggest piece was to take everything that we were trained for, take it down there to the host nation and train with in Bolivia they were called the Uma Park and the naval side of it to make sure that they received the same training. Wead that to help them navigate whatever piece that they needed to do within their system, whether it was on boats or patrolling or just operations and mapping and putting you know, clandestine operations together. We were supposed to teach everything.
Speaker 1: And after other than ranger school did was there anything else they put you through before you were deployable.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So my background obviously I was Puerto Rican Italian. I didn't I didn't speak a look of Spanish. So after that training school, we were deployed. My partner that went to recon school, we came back. They put us in three month to Guatemala. We went down to Guatemala for three months. They put us with a post family and we went one on one with an instructor or a teacher at a school for three months. And in those three months you learn you obviously lived with them, so it was a lot, you know, just being immersed so deep you learned the language really quick. And then on that one for me, I came out I qualified as a as a translator for this Department of State because you could actually get a test down there also, and that's what I did. Wow, So we got that piece done. Yeah, because it was big. I think the DEA guys went to another school. It wasn't as intense as ours, but our bigacy was to make sure.
Speaker 3: We spoke the language before we went down there.
Speaker 4: Hey, guys, I want to think Prize Picks are sponsoring this episode. It's the number one daily fantasy sports app in America. It's a scorching sports summer and you can make all your picks on Prize Picks. Women's basketball My personal favorite at Baseball are heating up and every football preseason game kicks off this month on Prize Picks, and with the big Tennis Slams and major golf tournaments on the horizon, there's no better place for all your summer sports picks than Prize Picks, America's number one sports picks app, number one in America. That's it. Need I say more? I don't, but I'm going to. The cool thing I like about preseason football is that you got so many rookies, so many backups, all vying for jobs that they all get to play. So it's a little bit trickier than a normal regular season football game to make your picks.
Speaker 2: I like it.
Speaker 4: It's more challenging. I totally enjoy it. You can enjoy it too. Also a very cool thing. Prize Picks is now available in all fifty states, including Cali, Texas, Georgia, and Florida. And you could do all this stuff I just mentioned by downloading the app today and using the code team House to get one hundred and fifty dollars instantly in lineups if you win your first five dollars lineup. So you could download the app today and use a code Team House to get the one hundred and fifty dollars instantly in lineups if you win your first five dollar lineup. Price Picks America's number one sports pick app number one. Do you understand prize Picks? Thank you Prize Picks.
Speaker 1: Bye, Hey guys, I'm Jack Murphy here at the Team House, and today I want to tell you about the sponsor for tonight's show. Mars Men. This is a natural testosterone support supplement. I take it. I've been taking it for about the last five weeks now, and I'm starting to notice a difference. You take five of these pills each day, and each one of these cans last two a month. I think you need to use them for a couple months to get the full effect of them. But I'm about five weeks in and I'm starting to notice a difference. Already, increased energy, better performance in the gym, all of those things. I've you know, quite frankly, in the past, had a problem with testosterone, as a lot of military veterans do, as a lot of men who are going into their forties do. And this is actually something that seems to be helping me get my levels back up even higher. So I'd highly recommend checking them out. It has eight different substances in it that help boost your testosterone count. If you guys will go and check them out, we'd really appreciate it, so would the sponsor. For a limited time, our listeners get fifty percent off for life, plus free shipping and three free gifts at men go to Mars dot com. That's men, Goo to Mars dot com for fifty percent off and three free gifts when you check out. After you purchase, they will ask you where you heard about them. Please show support for the show and tell them that the teamhouse sent you. Thank you everyone, and to talk a little bit about this mission, you know, before you get down there. In nineteen ninety one, the when the when the first teams got down there. It sounds like from you know the book that I read behind you, What is it not Your Father's Coast Guard? Very interesting book. They talk about how they get down there, and the State Department or maybe the DEA had bought these Piranha motor boats, but they had all kinds of maintenance issues. And then the mother ship, which you guys nicknamed the Africa Queen, I guess after the Bowguard movie. It was just like eaten through by termites and needed to be dry docked. So it's kind of an uphill battle from the get go, wasn't it.
Speaker 2: Yeah. First of all we had, you know, when we got down to the boats, the bigges seams, was to figure out what we can do mechanically wise to keep them running the engines correct.
Speaker 3: Like it was, we did every thing we could do.
Speaker 2: Like for example, when we got these twenty two feet piranhas, they had twin engines on them. They were outfitted with you know, like I think an them sixty on one side and some other stuff, some small technical or some armament on the other side. But even like just fiberglass and learning how the fiberglass boats and putting all those things together. Then you know, you want to understand in camouflage mode, right, you're in the middle of the Amazon, right, you're trying to go for drug lass. But some of these engines we would get them and they actually had like an ever rude white and red black you know, you know, what do you call shell on it. So when you're navigating through the through the river, you got these white.
Speaker 3: Engines showing up. So nothing was really like you know, camouflage or anything.
Speaker 2: We had to deal with a lot of that, and then trying to help them make these these piranhas work all all the time, so we were instructing them, but it was very, very difficult. You didn't have a lot of tools. The electrical the motherships were really hard to work with because they had to do a lot more work and bring in some better infrastructure for the boats to be able to travel down these rivers and then you know, hold these piranhas so we can get far down to the rivers because there was no navigation, there was no maps it.
Speaker 1: Maybe we should also talk a little bit about what the mission actually was and why these drug labs were upriver where they were, you know, as the river changed his course. I think are they called oxpos where it's like the remnants of the old pathway of the river.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: So there the two seasons, dry season wet seeds.
Speaker 2: Right, so the dry season you could be looking up twenty thirty feet up into the mainland because the waters dropped so so much. And in the wet season there was just rivers everywhere, so you know, you know, you had to know how to navigate, especially at night. The daytime was a lot easier. A lot of the navel it's called the naval and narcotics guys that ran some of these boats understood a little bit where things were at Most of the time we were hand drawing maps.
Speaker 3: So when we would go up certain rivers.
Speaker 2: So there's a couple of rivers that were pretty big that we knew what they were. But once we went.
Speaker 3: Down another river, we were trying to figure things out.
Speaker 2: So you know, the canvas on these jungles was pretty deep, so it wasn't like you can get out there and run a plane around and find some kind of lab out there. You had to go, you know, build information, you know, meet the people who lived on the rivers. You met a lot of people that were just Indian, never seen like a white man before. Right, you had to figure that out, and then you had to figure the relationship out how you could get to certain pieces. But these rivers were it was intense when you when when the water was high.
Speaker 1: So let's talk about you know when you arrived in nineteen ninety one, when you when you arrived and walked onto that situation, what what did you find down there?
Speaker 2: So when I got when I first got down there, I had just I was on the I think the second tour, so the first one before me in that year.
Speaker 3: They had just did a raid.
Speaker 2: I think the raid was like I think there was one of the biggest rays ever on a town.
Speaker 3: It was like six hundred and thirty plus officers, you know.
Speaker 2: Everybody included, that raided a narcotics town called Santa Ana. So I forget how many small planes and things that they seize. It was a massive operation. So when I get down there, everything kind of like was really quiet because there was nothing going on. So we had to build certain things to figure things out. So by wiping that city out, it stopped a lot of the movement for those three months that were down there. So when I got down to that first year, it wasn't pretty because there was nothing going on. The Other problem we had is that I don't know if you remember Peter Jennings, the reporter that same time frame, ABC comes down there to work on the drug wars, and now they find themselves like without having any kind of like, you know, anything to really report because everything had been kind of like quiet down and seized. So it was really hard in those two three months. So we just learned a lot of things went on patrols, there were some missions out there, but a lot of it was really really dried up and then it comes back around again after three months. Thing. Yeah, it was really it was as I remember seeing it on TV that ABC was really like it was a shot at snow cap that all the money put into this is now seeing like, hey, there's nothing really going on.
Speaker 1: Well, I mean that that's what you know in special Forces they talk about working yourself out of a job, and you know, if you're doing that, actually you're doing a great job. But as we know, you know, the drug trades never going completely away and will always come back. And when what what did you guys do? As it started to pick back up in Bolivia?
Speaker 2: So for for us Cosey's, the DA guys were in charge of all the all the the operations. Basically what came in the informants like we didn't have expertise in that. We had you know, that's not our job title, like to bring in the format, how do we interview? Had no interview spiels when it came on to all that stuff. So basically what happened when stuff came into this into the UH, into the well, we bring it back that we actually stayed at a hotel down there. We had a place called the Ganadero. There was a four story, five story hotel. They lopped off one section of the hotel for us, so we had wounds all the way down, communications centers and everything we needed, and we had trucks down below, and we would you know, bench out of that hotel and get to the into the airport to get down any helicopter or whatever. They brought all that information and then they would call us basically or you know, they would say, hey, I need one coasting two coaches here, we're going to go, especially if they had the rivers that we had to get on those boats. We didn't do a lot of like like let's get in a helicopter with DEA agents or this go out you know, on a constant mission when they're plane. We did disadvantage. We would do stuff like that, but they did all the missions. We only got on board once. We had some riff ring aspect to it that we had to actually help them out with.
Speaker 1: The DEA had a whole kind of other piece of this that you could do another podcast on really, but as I recall, the Dea was down there and they had to get tactical training, as you mentioned, and there was I wish I could remember the gentleman's name. There was a Vietnam Era one range Reconnaissance Patrol guy A ranger that brought a lot of the tactical expertise.
Speaker 2: To the DA.
Speaker 1: And then they also had contracted pilots that were flying Huey helicopters I think in both Bolivia and Peru if I recall correctly, or maybe it was Peru in Colombia, but some of the contracted pilots were indeed Vietnam veterans.
Speaker 3: Yeah, correct, the I forget the name of this.
Speaker 2: They used a contracted side piece to support the mission to d EA and they were Vietnam veterans.
Speaker 3: Some of the helicopters that we.
Speaker 2: Had in Trinidad in Bolivia were Vietnam helicopters that they used, and so you know they had you know, like you know, the ballistic shield on the side of the pilot that they would pool. But these pilots would come down they flew everything from all the helicopters to the to the cost us, whatever it was needed.
Speaker 3: They came down.
Speaker 2: They were I think they came in every like two to three weeks and they would switch them out. So that's what that's what they did. So they had a big mission on this whole thing. But you know, I get anything else. I was always like, hey, call me, I love to go on one of these missions. But when you look at the tactical side of it about a coach d and a DEA agent in the middle of the jungles, the coast guardantsman doesn't really know much except for the waterways of things, right, because you know, law enforcements a little bit different how they act and how they how they maneuvered things. So we were more in a support staff than anything. But I always volunteered for every mission. I was trying to get on every mission that I could because I just thought DA was like like Wow, what a place to be if I could be there.
Speaker 1: But I think the DEA also had to kind of like hang back, like they weren't supposed to be out in the front shooting, right.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Everything was supposed to be basically the responsibility of the owing part of the host nations to help them out. You know, it's kind of difficult because there was a lot of corruption in the whole thing, so you couldn't you know, when information came in. They were really like there was a few people that they could trust and.
Speaker 3: They knew who they were.
Speaker 2: But even like when they would go out of missions, and when we went out of missions, we just pulled.
Speaker 3: Them along with us.
Speaker 2: The minute that that mission needed to go, we would pull them in and brief them on that way out what we were doing with them, right, because a lot of times if you gave them a brief in the night before the mission wasn't going to happen.
Speaker 3: It was going to go to the spot and everybody was gone.
Speaker 2: So they had a lot of that piece and then they had to make sure that, you know, if you wanted to get a successful mission, you had to kind of like get them to tag along after we were on the way out and then brief.
Speaker 1: Them right right, like tell them you're going on a training mission and then brief them on the road.
Speaker 2: That's it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I And uh so what was your first experience like kind of going upriver and doing these riverine operations.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, I was young and some of the DA guys us see someone this and you're young, like you got a lot of energy. You know, be careful when you're out there because it doesn't look like what it really is. I mean, if you look back then till now, you realize that the risk level was really really high. Come back to then. We didn't have all these these shootouts going on, right, they didn't have all these things.
Speaker 3: They kind of a little bit more respectful.
Speaker 2: If you got into a lab someplace or you found something, they used to just scatter on you and not fight back. I think there was one instant where one of our two of our unit guys got into a big shootout down there, and there's a there's an episode on Cops where they fly down there to put that episode on Cops about the Bolivia side of it. It was a huge cachet of weapons and stuff, but I wouldn't have to shootout. Also, when I got to the lab, they were all gone already, but shots had been fired and you just kind of get there, they just scattered.
Speaker 3: That was basically it.
Speaker 2: We didn't have much a lot of times. It was just like we not on our side of it. Trinidd was different than we had the other group of DA agents that were in Chimaray right down the South Park. So we had two groups in Bolivia now the south part, which I never went to because I was always in Trinidad. A couple of the coasts were in Chi Maray also.
Speaker 3: That helped.
Speaker 2: They got into a lot more beef with the traffickers than we did because down in the Chapar region it was way different than in Shimarray. They actually lived in a like in a some shape little camp in the middle of the jungle, and that's how they lived for three months. Like we were living in the city in a hotel, which was like, you know, there was a lot of poverty around, but we actually had structure around this hot water. They had it too, but they lived like you know, they were at Fort Benny and one of those little you know huts out there, you know, just hanging out and then they would take their missions out. They lived in the dirt basically when they went outside, it was all jungle.
Speaker 1: The uh in the labs themselves. As I understood it, it's mostly the cultivation of cocoa leaves, and sometimes they're being processed there and sometimes they're being taken further upriver to be processed in plants. Like I said, there's a chemical process that they have to go through to manufacture cocaine.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Correct, We we saw this was the beginning stages.
Speaker 2: A lot of times what we would see so our job, a lot of times we would see like the beginning stages, like you know, you would you would have generators, you would have ether, you would sell. You saw a lot of guys that you know that the farmers that were out there that were helping out in the labs. You would see the lesions on their legs from all the acid burns. A lot of the stuff would be the pace of the coca leaf. And then once they got out they were they would send it up river to get it up to Columbia or beyond so they could keep producing it or you know, cult refining it. So we found a lot of base labs and stuff, and we found, you know, we were dealing with chemicals a lot of times because they need to chemicals to bring them into the lab to process this stuff.
Speaker 1: And you guys had to have demolitions training too, right, because you're supposed to blow these labs up.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So obviously in ranger school, we went to demo uh school for whatever however along it was. And you know, me as a youngster, I was like, wow, this is amazing. You know, just all the different things that tools that we had to have underneath us. I didn't I didn't expect any of that. So dynamite, T and T claymore shape charges, we were blowing up airstrips, and then they had some other so we dealt in M sixteen, M sixty AK forty seven's grenade launchers things like that. So just to help us out, we had grenades and stuff like that. So they equipped. It was pretty good to go down there like it was going to be real. Obviously it was.
Speaker 1: Were any other operations during that deployment that kind of like stand out for you that were interesting.
Speaker 3: There's a few of them out there.
Speaker 2: I remember going on our mission, talked about the boats we actually had. When we were one of my first trip down there, I remember meeting a bunch of Navy seals.
Speaker 3: They were down in country.
Speaker 2: Also, they did a lot of training on the outside and helped, you know, some of their elite teams go on so they didn't get involved in missions. Obviously they weren't happy about that. And then we had the I think the Navy CBS, I think they're called CBS. They came down there and they used to put camps together for the military there, the host nation military, so they were building like barracks and stuff like that. So they were down there too, but every operational wise, they didn't get involved. But I remember taking we had some of those old right sized pontoon boats with the navyes the covers elite, you know, quiet motors. I remember taking a group up there. I was on a mission with my chief and did some d agents and some humapar. We went on like I think it was a thirty six hour trip. They had information on I think it was the number three uh Arco trafficker for believing.
Speaker 3: They had a location where he was at up on the border with Brazil.
Speaker 2: So I knew the rivers because I had gone up to those sides before I knew what we were doing. Uh So they had asked me to say to leave the boat cruise up. There was four boat crew. We landed like one of the I think it was Samdwak, came like to the little town, put the boats down, put them out. They went back. The helicopters went back to the city to go pick up the rest of the crew because there was just too much weight on these helicopters. So around midnight two o'clock in the morning, as we departed to go to a location where they thought he was at. I had to put camp lights all the way up the river every time he made a turn of chemical you know, one of those infrared camp lights, because we couldn't return.
Speaker 3: We didn't know if we could return correctly. In the middle of the night.
Speaker 2: There was no there's no moon or anything, right, so you know, I'm thinking to myself, I'm only like twenty two to twenty three years old. I was like, Wow, this is this. I've got to get this, like this is real. I remember my heart beaten, I think for the entire thirty six hours because I'm like, I've got to lead this crew to where we need to go. I know where the city's at this little point. We need the entrance. Nobody's been up there before from the DA guys. They didn't know it. They didn't get on both with us. So I think it took us four or five hours and we got up to this region and then it went once the Uma Park got off the boat went into this little town. I think it was like six hours of silence. You know, it's like a movie. You know, you just kind of there's no radio chattering. Everybody's just sitting in this boat and your heart is beating because you know, if something goes wrong, you've got to go inside and you know, rescue.
Speaker 3: So eventually, you.
Speaker 2: Know, the radio clicks back on and it's like, you know, basically, hey, we got them run our way back. So we knew that he had a bunch of bodyguards and everything else, and we're like, okay, well here's the extraction side of it.
Speaker 3: So we got to get ready. So once they hit the beach, when they came down.
Speaker 2: With with with with with the person of interest on the boat, everybody out trying to get back to the base to the extraction point that was like four hours away on these on these rich eyes, and I think I blew. I blew a pistol on one of the engines. So, you know, the three lead boats that had the person of interest in it kind of make it back like two hours before us. I just wanted to make sure we weren't being followed, you know, or targeting, because your.
Speaker 3: Heartbeat is going, you don't you don't really know.
Speaker 2: There's no real intel about that like there is nowadays. You get so much information. Back in those days, you didn't have it. You were you were out there by yourself. I mean, you know, I knew that had a you know what, a personal eeper, you know, responders like if something went down, turn to responder off. They could pick you off on the side. That's all we had. The radios were okay and they didn't really communicate. Great, you're basically on your own. So once we made it back, took the person of interest, loaded everything up, did a couple of trips back and forth.
Speaker 3: I remember landing, landing at the base.
Speaker 2: Where at the airport in Trinidad with person of interest and getting off the helicopters and you know, as soon as we landed, this leader jet landed and uh, personal interest went to the Leader jet with a couple of guys. Think they handed them off to you know, their special probably their CIA and our CIA, and they were gone. Never saw them again. Wow, that's that's how quick that It was like a movie. I remember sitting at that airport going, wow, this is this is I've never seen that before.
Speaker 3: You know, as of course coast to you're like it's real.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, it's it's pretty cool that it sounds like the Bolivians picked him up without a shot fired.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, of course you never hear back of what happened, but the mission was successful. Everybody's like, hey, good job, good job.
Speaker 1: Next Yeah, yeah one.
Speaker 3: But you know, it's one of those kind of things.
Speaker 2: As a coast, you say to yourself like, I never knew for one second that I would ever be part of this and in this system. And I was. I was trying to take up so much to understand how to work a law enforce because I wanted to.
Speaker 3: Venture into law enforcement Africa postcard.
Speaker 1: Obviously, if upgrading your full sleep setup has been on the list for a while, ghost Beds fourth of July sale is the time to actually do it right now you can get two hundred and fifty dollars off mattress bundles, which means you can add cooling pillows, cooling sheets, or an adjustable base and still come out well ahead of what you'd pay anywhere else. And as a Teamhouse listener, you get an extra ten percent off on top of that using the code House. Gast Bed is a family owned company with more than twenty years of mattress making experience. Their background is in manufacturing, so every product in their lineup is built with the same focus on materials and construction rather than marketing spend in inflated markups. Every Ghostbed mattress is built with cooling from the ground up and their pro core support layer, which reinforces the center of the mattress where your body puts the most weight. Don't take it from me, They've got more than one hundred thousand positive reviews from people who made the switch and didn't look back. Mattresses are made in the USA and Canada and come with a one hundred and one night sleep trial, fast and free shipping, and a warranty up to twenty five years, twice the industry standard. Not sure where to start, head to ghostbed dot com slash house and take their mattress quiz to find the right mattress. Then build from there. Go to ghostbed dot com slash house and use the promo code house at checkout. That's ghostbed dot com slash house promo code House. Some exclusions apply. Sea site for details and yeah, you're I just want to emphasize that, you know, you're right, it was a different world back then. You say, you know, you didn't have any maps of these rivers. There's no Google or Earth back in those days, there's no ISR, there's no drones overhead that are doing surveillance for you. That's a that's a different sort of thing that our military today, I don't think is they're trying to understand it because they know they're going to have to deal with it. But we've been very fortunate the last twenty years.
Speaker 2: So you know, you bring up a good point because I remember when we were you know, to figure out our land av we had the old green boxes. The latitude launch shoot would come on and right the military satellites would hit those boxes and we could figure ourselves out pretty good. Not even the helicopter pilosh would use them on our on our routes. We had to use them for them because they were they never believed in them. So some times they would do everything by map on the air. You know, you got these you know Bolivian pilots trying to do all these things by you know, they have this land this lap map and they were trying to navigate themselves the compass and you know we have the GPS going, so you know at that time we had that too. And then The other thing that we had back in that day, which I always bring up to people who asked me, I said, I had a digital camera.
Speaker 3: There was a mini disc so DA had. I had a big lens camera.
Speaker 2: So we would leave on a Sessta to do a you know, if I would try to go find a lab and doing some information. I remember going up with the tenant from the UMA part of the narcotics team, and an informant in the back of the CESSTEM, going all the way up back to that Brazilian border, which I knew pretty well, and circling the Amazon trying to take photos of a lab that you couldn't see from up there. And remember, you know, I was getting sick up there, going in circles trying to take photos.
Speaker 3: There's nothing down there but that that disc. Was reminded of, like, wow, this is amazing.
Speaker 2: Because when I got back, they just took this, they stuck it in that printer and they started, you know, they had analysts down there and they started pulling all that data out. I was just, you know, I was like, wow, this is amazing. What's going on. So that's how that whole disping that and it was it was just digital for me, I've never seen that before, but that was like nineteen ninety one ninety two.
Speaker 3: That's amazing to me that that existed then.
Speaker 1: And how many trips did you make down there with the with the Drug Interdiction Force?
Speaker 2: Either three or four. So I got there nineteen ninety ninety one, I started deploying, So I got there to like ninety three ninety four, and then things started to change. I didn't stay too long in that unit, so there was some imbalances that not your father's coast garbage is behind me. That's where this is all coming around. Why this thing is changing on us. So Soldier Fortune magazine was down there for a period of time. They interviewed a couple of the guys that were partners that were down there, and that's one of the quotes that's in there from the magazine that not your Fallow's coast Guard and as the admiral was coming out and the new admiral will come in that it was like a shot at the US coast Guard.
Speaker 3: Basically, and it was like it didn't mean anything wrong.
Speaker 2: It's just that we were beyond the usual coast guard duties and it wasn't a shot at the Coast Guard.
Speaker 3: It was just like, hey, it's not your father's coaster, it's not an old thing.
Speaker 2: It's a new thing.
Speaker 3: We're trying to it was getting more modern, right, and that kind of.
Speaker 2: Turned us a little bit. That soldier. Fortune magazine kind of turned the events in Washington for us, and things started to change. So I think in my third tour, we had some big orders going, you will not get off that boat.
Speaker 3: You will not support dea. You know, we started to get this in balance and things.
Speaker 2: So all the guys in that unit were all about da supporting no matter what the mission was. You know. You know, the guys were just so bonded that we were going to support them, and we knew them pretty much when they when we came back in country, we stayed in touch. I have some friends still out there today, and we just knew that anything that happened, we were going to support them and make sure that they had us one hundred percent. But what happens is we started getting this this this piece going, hey, don't get off the boat. Be in big trouble. Things are going to happen. Your jobs to be on that boat. If things go wrong, then you know, think about what you need to do. But it was it was a big thing on the turning kind of like started to change the unit.
Speaker 1: Yeah, like risk aversion.
Speaker 2: I wrote.
Speaker 1: There's a quote from one of the guys in the book that I thought was pretty good where he says, I wasn't going to let the mission fail because of a rule. So so what was it like going down on your second trip down there?
Speaker 2: Then?
Speaker 1: How had it changed?
Speaker 3: So?
Speaker 2: Once I went down to the second trip, I recognized that, hey, we can do a lot of work down there.
Speaker 3: We can do things down there.
Speaker 2: Obviously, obviously you want to make them better because you realize, you know, down there they don't have much so outside of the city, you know, there's there's a lot of poverty right there. They need a lot of work to try to you know, trying to help them out. We had I think it was called the Narcotics Affairs Section. That was where a certain amount of money would come into like an admin group, and this admin group was creating things around cities and helping like you know, gas fuel tanks, helping them out with you know, repaving, like the airstrips, you know, all this there was they would help out the you know, the locals and try and get things up with the money for support.
Speaker 3: So that allowed us to help out and do what we needed to do down there.
Speaker 2: But there was a lot of influx money come in to help all these you know places to help them military wise, you know, whatever they needed, like more boats and more of this. They were getting BDU's, they were getting training in M sixteen's, they had them two or three's, They had dogs, they had a bunch of trains. So the US were supporting the umor part and the narcotics trafficking, trying to help them grow it and kind of like, you know, make this thing go away if we can ever do that, and teach them how to do things on their own way. So the pilots would come. I forget where they used to. They used to take the pilots whether they were plane pilot or a helicopter pilot and bring them up to the States United States. I forget what what base trained them for helicopter piloting and for cessnas and DC tens and stuff like that.
Speaker 3: But a lot of them would fail, so they would send them back.
Speaker 2: So that contract the group I told you that we talked about with the that had Vietnam veteran pilots. They would send them down to Bolivia and they would do like on the job training with these pilots. So that was a you know you talk about, you know, risk missions. You know, there was a couple of times, well, we've had some incidences where uh, you know, we were on flight and things were going wrong on our flight because the the US pilot would be in the middle and then the two other pilots on the Bolivia side would be find that plane and things were going wrong. So we had a plane crash on one of them. Nobody nobody died, obviously. I was on the DC ten. Uh. We were leaving the strip in Trinidad, and I remember we were going down the airstrip.
Speaker 3: We were fully loaded and then you know, the tail comes up and what happened.
Speaker 2: He hit the rudder too hard and I thought we went was spun out on the airstrip and we got it off the ground, and you know, when we got to the Brazilian board, I remember the agent in charge for Diego and oh, we are not on that plane anymore.
Speaker 3: We are coming back on helicopter.
Speaker 2: So he re routed the helicopters coming through it for six hours and pick us up to take us back. Uh. There was a mission where two of the coasts were on assess and it was overloaded. So when they went up, when they tried to land in chimer Ray, the sess on bounce of two or three times on that airstrip which was a dirt airstrip, and they went up. They tried to pull it back up and installed. So when they've been installed it, it slipped over. So when they came down, they landed you know, upside down. So nobody injured, but enough to you know, do some damage to everybody that was the pilot stuff. Like, it was really really scary because that that cession that went down, that of my partners and it is the week before myself and my partner Mike, we had went on a They gave us like an R and R in Santa Cruz. It's like the city away from all the city that it is beautiful, right, it's got everything out there. You can go a hotel. They give us two days off. You know, you reset yourself. You sit at the pool for a couple of days. But when we left Trinidad, we were also overloaded and I didn't know how much wink we could take but the pilot's going down the airstrip.
Speaker 3: I remember the pilots telling us.
Speaker 2: Mike and I to stand up in the back seat because you know, it's only a four seater, so we would stand up and they would say, hey, ho, grab us, grab the pilot and the co pilot grab us and put your weight forward so the tail could rise. So you know, you don't think much about that, but when you're up in the air, you say to yourself, Okay, well this is crazy, and I think we only food like a thousand feet off the ground for like four hours. All the way down to Santa Cruz with all this gear, you know, you kind of did things like that and you're like, wow, this is this the way it's supposed to you know, there was trips like that. And then, speaking of that same Sesson, when I was doing that trip up and up in the mamared which is the river on the Brazilian border, I remember like, after doing all those photo shots at the digital camera, you know, on the way back, I had fell asleep. That was nauseous as it could be. And when I fell asleep, I woke up to the engine stop it. You know, it's a single engine, and the first thing I grabbed was my eper, going, oh oh, it was my Emrie, where's my eper?
Speaker 3: Make sure I have my weapons When we landed.
Speaker 2: When this plane hits the ground, I'm jumping out like I'm like, it's it's it's survival mode. It forgot to swift the fuel tanks, so they went dry for like ten minutes. And then I couldn't figure out why. The pilot underneath it was kind of like it looked like a lawnmower. He was trying to, you know, timb the engine back up with the gas because he forgot to switch the fuel tanks. But you know, in those moments, you don't know what's going on. You're thinking, like, oh, we're in big trouble. This plane is going down. They always say they can glive. I wasn't up for that, but yeah, he turned it back over. It took them ten minutes, so it was it was kind of strange. But I got back to the base and you know, back to the office, and I was telling the agent and charge is like, can't do that again. You forgot to switch field tanks. We went dry.
Speaker 3: You know, like you're trying to go home.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I mean years later when those Diner Core guys went down in Colombia because of mechanical failure, I think like one of the big like after action, uh you know points was no more single engine aircraft ever.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's right, that's the name of I could remember Dining Cole. That's the same guys in there, Dinald Okay, Yeah, yeah, they were great. They were really great. They were great to have the mechanics who come down there and everything. I just do that on this these training days, like when we were up there, they were being them going gosh, you just got to make it through the flight, because even the Dining cor guys were trying to make it right. So and then you know in the helicopter they tried a couple of times they try to do an auto rotate on I don't know sure you know that it is on an auto rotate where they stopped the blade and then they wanted to do whatever an auto rotate for a train as I never wanted to be part of that. Any time we went off, I made sure there was no auto rotation going on, like we're not doing that. It's scary, you know, you're trying to you know, also come home.
Speaker 1: And as as the mission is going on, you know, on your now second trip down there, how are you perceiving the sort of efficacy of the operation overall, because I mean, on paper, it's very smart to go after the drugs at the source. That's probably the smartest way to handle it. Did you think it was being effective? What did you think of the program?
Speaker 2: So you're not knowing much about the narcotics, like the piece of it of how much actually being produced and where it's going and coming up like DA would have you know that information. They know a lot more. I remember that second one. So my my my lieutenant then was bob out of there. He had a great mission. What we did we started doing co star stuff on those boats because we knew that we were getting pulled away from being on certain missions. So at that time, I think they had three mother ships at that time. I forget the names of it. I got some photos of them. He decided we put up an operational plan and they decided to kind of like shut the rivers down so nothing could move except forward by plane. So we went up there. I think it was like either two week or two and a half week patrol where we took all the Coast Guard guys, took two DA agents or three, put them on the ship with us, and the mother boat took the four piranhas out. Everybody had piranhas. We went out and we just locked everything down. So we started boarding and moving anything that moved on the river. We just grabbed whatever it was. So we were blowing things down, making sure there was no movements. You know, you find some kilos here and kilos there, people moving small little loads, but we were inside of those labs. But it was shutting things down on the rivers and it was a big impact at that one time. So we we realized that we had it to generate Coast Guard missions to help them out understand how to navigate the river, and that's what we started doing. So and then we started just going on any that we would just take a patrol and leave the mothership and two piranhas go one way, the other two pranas go the other way. We had everybody we needed, and we would just patrol the rivers and try to hit every single little smaller river, go down the stream and see what we can do.
Speaker 3: And then you know, like you know, drop the insins down.
Speaker 2: Listen see if we can hear like labs and talk to people pick up information. Is there anything out there is that are not we also, I think we made my second my third. I think my third one. I started to tell myself, why are you guys walking so much to get to a lab? Because one of the biggest problems we had is that if you find a person that had information on a lab, they would take you there, right, that's your informant. But they would always say, yeh, it's just down, it's just down over here to the bend, and then you'd be four hours later, you're still walking.
Speaker 3: He's like, yeah, it's not too far away. And I used to say to myself, well, why.
Speaker 2: Would you do it that way? So we started bringing in I think we were able to get nas a college fair second and buy like six cross bikes, and I said, why not buy cross bikes and try to make it a little easier. So we started taking these motorcycles cross bikes. I got a great photo of on them them. Obviously they weren't camelflalls. They were red in color. So you know, there's nothing you could do.
Speaker 1: But like now with sake dirt bikes, Yeah, that's it.
Speaker 2: That's it the cross bikes and we would load it on the front of the prana and we would go out and then when we hit a certain place, we would drop those bikes down. We would get on those bikes and we would patrol. And that's how we did a lot of that stuff. We got more coverage and stuff like that, because you know, the information was only so much that we could get so and when we had good information, it basically did an operation. They would they would get it right where DA would really take over and really run that operation with helicopters, really hit it like hit a hit a ranch or a lab that was really deep.
Speaker 5: But we did a lot of information grabbing for DA too, So we just knew that our mission was probably more to hey, get what we can get for them, let them do their job, and then you know, that way we would you know, we would be good at headquarters.
Speaker 2: We didn't want any problem with headquarters.
Speaker 1: The impression I got from reading the book it seemed like the operation was effective enough that it actually pushed a lot of the drug trade further up river. That they were transporting the cocoa leaves up river I believe into Columbia for processing as opposed to doing it, you know in your area of operations.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we were pretty dry. We didn't get a lot when we did. I believe the Chain Ray guys, the other guys, they were doing a lot more than us. Even in Peru, they were hitting a lot. When we did our side of it, it was like it just seemed like it was compressed somehow. I don't know if we were doing a good job or not, but it was just harder to figure it out where everything was at. The people were easy to speak with, you know, you didn't have this whole thing, you know, because you know, they just lived out in the middle of the field and that we we figured a couple of little things out. We would hit some airstrips. I think there's one of them. I wasn't part of it, but they had found that they they actually dismantled Assessma and walked it through the jungle and put it back together and flew it out of a jungle.
Speaker 3: That's what they were doing.
Speaker 2: They were like they were trying to be so creative that it was onlie I think it was in Shi Maray. You know, they would walk the wings in. You know, they have these farmers that they would pay or whatever, and they would do all the work. Basically, that's who did all the work. They weren't really the traffickers. They were just being run by the traffickers. So somebody in there was actually showing.
Speaker 3: Them how to do things. And then you know they would you give them whatever they would give them to keep them going.
Speaker 2: But you know, there was the people who.
Speaker 3: Run the planes that had the frances, had had the farms.
Speaker 2: It was one of those kinds of area where you didn't have a lot of intel about you know, what plane here, what plane there, what airstrip there. You just had to get what you had to get and then give it back to DA.
Speaker 3: I'm assessing through their analysis.
Speaker 1: And then what was it like going down there on your third trip? Were you in the same place generally?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I've always went back down to Trinidad, So I had a good routine.
Speaker 2: I thought as a young guy too, I had to build my reputation up too, because you know, I wasn't great in Ranger school. I was struggling. I got through it. After Ranger School. I was putting things together for myself, so maybe and I wanted to help those DA guys so much. I was so about this drug warst thing because it was like, you know, you don't really see it much. I came from the Miami area in the Coast Guards, so I knew what you know, in the nineteen eighties and nineties looked like in Miami, Key West, big time drug zone. So when I was down in Bliviya, like, I was like, wow, this is amazing. I really took. I was grateful for where I was and what I was doing. And obviously my mom was like, oh, I can't wait till you're done, because you're down there. You know today you see TV all the time on all these shows. It's something that we were doing way back when before anything I ever. We had good we had good partnership from DA Bord Tech was down there with us too. I forget how many Bordtech officers came down there, so you know, Bordatrol tactical units and then being stationed in Portsmouth, Virginia, which is you know, it's it's what they call that area, the tightwater area Norfolk Chesapy, Portsmouth, Virginia Beach. We had connections to the Navy seal team that was there too. So anytime I came back, I always used to try to, you know, figure my gear out because my gear wasn't white, and how do I hold this?
Speaker 3: And how do I do that?
Speaker 2: Because we didn't have all that tactical gear. So I would design some of the gear stuff and I would go into Navy CEOs and I said, hey, can you construct this for me? I'll pay you for it, and then they would do their own thing that they liked it, they kept the designer was theirs. But I remember doing like N sixteen magazines because I didn't like them on the belt anymore, like the old style. I'd put them up on my chest. So I needed somebody to create me a belt that could hold my magazines. So that was the other thing, too, is to create things to make it easier for us to do our job down there.
Speaker 1: Whatever it was, you know, just out of curiosity, you know, I was wondering if you ever came across one of the seals that I know is down there at that time frame, Herschel Davis.
Speaker 2: This is yes, So my chief chief Davis knows Herschel, and I know who Herschel is.
Speaker 3: I did not, I think I met him once. But on the side, is that make sense because I do know, he he's that guy.
Speaker 2: He's like he was that guy down there that was running the show for sure, very well respected. We all knew who he was, and you know, his knowledge was absolutely amazing. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we've had him on on the podcast a couple of years ago. Great guy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it has a lot going you know. Back in those days, those guys were doing some things we've never heard of, right. So yeah, and then we met a Navy seal back then. Now, you know, they're more exposed because of the social media that's out there. Those days, you didn't know any agency was unless you personally.
Speaker 1: Met one, right Yeah. And I mean this is also the timeframe where all of this is happening, but also things are starting to really heat up with the meda ying cartel in Colombia and all the stuff that killing Pablo. Everything we know today about what was going on down there, and the book You Know, Not Your Father's Coast Guard also gets into how the Coast Guard was not just in Bolivia but also in Colombia, in Ecuador and Panama a number of different countries, not not necessarily doing the type of stuff you were, but they're still pretty active.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So in this so we would do three month tours, right, So within those three months, I also went to Panama and I also went to Costa Rica. So the snow cap had a team in Bolivia. They eventually went to Guatemala and they were also we were down in.
Speaker 3: Ecuador, so even that wasn't a snowcapped thing.
Speaker 2: In Ecuador. We would send guys down to Ecuador and they would do whatever they needed to do down there, So we were all over the place, so we had guys everywhere. I never went to Ecuador, but I went to Panama and I went to Costa Rica on the side with my lieutenant who eventually passes away, Joe Rodriguez. He's uh, he went to Marine Recon. He was a lieutenant. We went down to Costa Rica. We went on the south side of the city side to help out their coast guard, trying to figure things out what they had going on. For like a week, we didn't really do much, and then we ended up in Panama to help the Panamanians out in their waterway things, and we were down there for a little while.
Speaker 3: I never went to Columbia.
Speaker 2: I think one of the guys went to Columbia, but we were basically our biggest hubs were Bolivia and Ecuador. That's where our hubs were. So every three months when we would go back and tour, we would have to go to Quantico and requalify with DA and then when we would leave Andrews Air Force Base at that time was that was the name, right, they would take us out in the one all packaged up. We would go to Guatemala first, drop a team off there, you know, go to Panama, stay overnight and then I'm sorry, Panama, Guatemala. The tour was we stay over night to Panama and then we would actually go into Perud drop a team off, and then we would go to Bolivia and drop a team and that was the last sea we'll get dropped off.
Speaker 3: So that's how they routed everything. So that's everything without an Andrew's Air Force Base.
Speaker 1: Uh so what were you kind of observing on that on that last trip down to Bolivia. How did things change and how was things changing for the Drug inter Addiction Assist Team.
Speaker 2: So my last tour is probably the worst tour because we had to be the bosses are now being switched. The one bosses that we have now we have I believe it's a commander in right now at that time, So we're getting that switch and basically on that switch where basically, hey, you're going to go down there. You're gonna do nothing but mission support for the teams down there, but you're not gonna be.
Speaker 3: Staying with DEA anymore. We used to stay together, so.
Speaker 2: We had a Coast Guard liaison commander down there that stayed at the embassy. They set us up in an old narcotics house, traffickers house, and they had like seven bedrooms. So all we did was that we didn't even have weapons anymore. So our last tour we went down there, we didn't get on to ce One. For one, we didn't go to Quantico. They really cut us off. The Coast Guard did not DA. They cut us off and.
Speaker 3: Basically flew us down there on a commercial jet.
Speaker 2: Stay down there where your BDUs and sself and your job every day was to go out there and help the host nation on anything they needed. No more operation, we were done, so we would go see DA guys. They had moved over from a hotel. They had their own little area now they had like another home. They had this warehouse basically, and we would go in there and try to help them out whatever they needed. It was support here and there or whatever. We did all that stuff, but they were cutting us out because they were cutting that unit out, that this DA unit was being cut out, and you could see it. I felt it because I felt, you know, later, when I get back, I knew I was getting cut out because I only been there three and a half years and they were not going to retain me on my next my next billet.
Speaker 3: They didn't want to retain me. They wanted me out.
Speaker 2: So everybody that was basically in there was being shoved out, and they brought in new staffing because the whole mission was changing and they didn't want the old guys or the guys that had history with DA and Snowcap confusing their new mission, like we were gonna make it worse, right, we were coasting. I mean, we're military guys, well would you you know? So I could I could feel the cut coming out. It wasn't pretty. What didn't do a lot way from us? I think I think a lot of DA guys, like the bosses. I was really good with the fifteen's and I had, you know, you sit down with them and they were really disappointed. Why the mission was changing for us when you know, we were always good for them and helping them out a lot.
Speaker 3: We did a lot of work. We did the Grant vert basically, you know, when.
Speaker 2: We were refueling, putting ammunition on the planes or on the helicopters, you know, moving these these uh these these rhis from one helicopter to another, doing all that work for DA. That's what we did.
Speaker 3: We were supporting the mission and we were getting cut out.
Speaker 2: So it was not great. You know, we were part of that anymore. So when we went we went to our own little home and DA was at another location in the same city. It was it was tough. I didn't I didn't like it. I was like, it's not good anymore. Coffee. See, the commandant was switched out, and you know, they were taking everything from us because the name was going to change eventually.
Speaker 1: Yeah, what did this unit eventually turn into?
Speaker 2: So it's International Maritime Law Enforcement Training Team basically, and they went from drug in addition to International Maritime Law Enforcement. So and they were changing everything that you know, they were going to support it that way. Cut the name out, you know, you know, you get rid of the name, you get rid of everything old yeah. I was like I could see it, I could feel it, but I knew that, you know, it would never be the same unit again.
Speaker 3: It was going to change its mission out and it was time for me to find.
Speaker 2: Something else to go to.
Speaker 1: And the new mission was basically going to be strictly like training coast guards of foreign nations.
Speaker 2: Yeah that's correct. Yeah, no more like you know, M sixteen blocks by that stuff is gone.
Speaker 3: No more BDUs. You'll be black and your blues.
Speaker 2: You know, they used to tell us, hey, you guys have gotten too native. You know, we weren't native like we always we did the military job when we came back, you know, we were always in uniform and clean shaven. We didn't do all that crazy stuff like people thought. I mean, I think, like I said that Soldier Force the magazine pushed too hard. I guess people have this idea what we were doing, but it wasn't really like that.
Speaker 1: And as all of these changes are coming and you're kind of feeling that you have to go somewhere else. To me, what did you end up doing with the rest of your career?
Speaker 2: So you know, when I so when I reached this unit, I just was like, Wow, this I was going back to the coaster, going what else is out there? And realistically, well, let me take this back. When they didn't re up me to stay. You know, I make E five in that unit. You know, I took the test in there, so I was in E five. Then within the unit they got me to do the test and do things. I went back to Key West as what was the official word at base security, basically back to West.
Speaker 3: So I went right back where I came from. I was ecstatic.
Speaker 2: I was like, wow, going right back, you know, I'm not looking at the ship or anything. I was on base security when I went back down there. Obviously what I was doing, I was picking up all the Cuban immigrants that would land on the beach, you know, from morning to night, and I would get call out. I would work with Police Service FPS, so I would drive up the keys. It was a federal police service. We would pick up, put them in the van, drove them all the way back down the Key West. I and S at the time, Immigration National Service would show up, caught them all up, put a fingerprint and send them up to Miami. I did that for a while, so my lieutenant that I went to Panama with in Costa Rica. He became the lieutenant in charge for the Law Enforcement Detachment team in Miami, so as I was getting close to nineteen nine, so.
Speaker 3: I stayed at that DA unit for three and a half years. I only had a year and a half left.
Speaker 2: On my on my man bill it basically, and I was like, why why aren't you just extended. I stayed in Portsman. They didn't want to do that. They're like, no, no, you're out going back to Key West for a year and a half. So I went back to another base for only a year and a half and then at that at my extension time, Joe Rodriguez was going to pull me up into Miami to be part of the lead A unit again. So it was this the highest union that the Coast Guard has when it comes to law enforcement and then travel they jump on the femroon with the Navy.
Speaker 3: They do all this long enforcem mission interdiction. So when I got to the end.
Speaker 2: My base, XO.
Speaker 3: Wouldn't confirm that I could go to Miami once I re enlisted.
Speaker 2: He wouldn't guarantee it, and Joe Rodrigue was trying to get me up there if I reenlisted. I was going to Miami. But the basicso FROs that he goes, hey listen, you reenlist, there's no guarantee you're gone. So I didn't reenlist. So once that happened, I was on my way out. I went. My process was, hey us Marshals, I can't get in dea. I was.
Speaker 3: I only had a high school diploma, so I didn't have a lot of that upper education that you needed.
Speaker 2: So when I got out, I stayed up in the Miami area for a lot of area and within the year I got hired in the Brower Sheriff's Office and that's where I went for twenty two years. Wow, so you know, I was twenty eight years old. I went to the academy for six months. I blew right through the academy like because you know, the academy to me was I've done all this stuff, and that DA Snowcap mission taught me so much about how to do things on the law. So when I went to the academy like, I had no problems. I was in and out real quick. As soon as I graduated. I did my first six months as a patrol officer up in Deerfield Beach and within the six months I was. I was on probation for what a year plus. They took me right off the patrol car. I was in detective bureau, and then three years later I found myself doing.
Speaker 3: Undercover work.
Speaker 2: I was off the streets and I worked in in a specialized unit that would just organized crime, and that's where I was. I did that for almost two thousand and two to like twenty seventeen. Never came out of it, never where wore uniform again. I was a detective. Then I did a bunch of wire and you know, I learned to do wire taps. I was you know, I was, I was an affian. I did wire taps, I did all kinds of crazy stuff, you know. And then I became a super icing KAM sergeant and that's how I ended my career. I retired like that as a sergeant. But that background of those four years or three and a half years with that dat units, those pieces why I became And I always asked myself, oh, how is it possible? You never got even when I got promoted in the Sheriff's office, they were supposed to keep them to the streets because that's you got to go as a sergeant. You got to go back for the streets. I'm going to be a sergeant on the streets. I never went back from the sheriff down. They were like, nope, you're going right into this unit. This is your unit.
Speaker 3: You handled it.
Speaker 2: So, you know, I worked with swat teams, I worked on narcotics teams. I did all that stuff. So I was just in that phase like, you know, this is what I wanted. I wish the Coastguard could could have kept what they had. They just lost me because I wanted more law enforcement.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, no, that makes sense. I'm And so you were doing like a lot of like undercovered drug buys and stuff like that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I did. So I found out real quick that I wasn't a good liar because you know, to me, that's a hard trait. You got to be like deep in that stuff, like it's like it's got to really work. So when I first started, that's where I was at. I was doing undercover stuff. I bought some key lows, you know, I was running around. I was a cigarette dealer for a while. You know, I was truckloads of cigarettes. You know, when you get into the street stuff at a local place, you have a lot more access to do things and how you're doing things right. You get all this, you know, these pieces going on, and then after a while, I found myself being more of a you know I was.
Speaker 3: I was better as a case agent than I was as an undercover.
Speaker 2: So you know, I would pull the group together, good detectives, good undercovers, put the case together and put it, you know, to the US Attorney's office. That's what we usually work with, and just grab these organized crimes. I worked the mob, basically the mafia for a while down here in South Florida. That's where everybody comes to vacation. So I worked at for a while. I did, you know, some big time while you know wire taps, you know I did it for months. You know, as an athlete and wire tab I've always been told like this, and not everybody can do a wire tap. You know you'd be part of one. You know you can be part of a wire tap case. But when you put it together and put your name on that dot a line, that changes everything is right because the liabilities go way up and you got to make sure everything I did. I did six of them, so it were great. I mean, you just learn how to do things at another level, and I always go back to my Coast Guard background because that's where it comes from.
Speaker 1: And this was also mostly counter narcotics.
Speaker 3: Yeah, counter narcotics yup.
Speaker 2: And then my last ten years I went into the human trafficking Internet stuff, so I did a lot of human trafficking too at the end. So I was part of the Violent Crimes against Children's squad with the FBI, so I was sworn in with them too. But you know, I did the human trafficking stuff, you know, That's what I was doing in the Coast Guard basically. But now working with Border Patrol was a lot easier for me because I had a background from the previous with Bord tax. So when I went to Border Patrol here in Daniel Beach, Florida, like with the Boston and the major stuff to me doing the job that they were looking helpful because you know, they don't have a lot of people the staff, so US supporting their their their their their their in their coastal and intercultural areas of you know, this human trafficking side of things. It was easy for me. I put a ton of heaps together, Patrol here and Patrol there, organized this get that whatever they needed to support support their missions to them. So it wasn't hard.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it sounds like the Coast Guard set you up for success.
Speaker 3: Always grateful, you know, I did my nine years.
Speaker 2: I was so grateful that that pie, especially in the academy, was like, wow, you're moving quick than usual. So and I thought that was a good thing because you learned, you know. I'll tell you a funny story. When I my first my first two days of leaving with the Sheriff's Office, I had given it to the sergeant. It gave him forty eight hours of leave, so I was on patrol. He calls me in one night, he goes forty eight hours of leave, and you've got two days. That's not two days, it's sixteen hours. I'm like, what do you mean sixteen it's it's one day's twenty four. He goes, no, eight.
Speaker 1: Hours, right, you know your MILLI right, they're always on duty.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I think I only had like.
Speaker 3: Sixty hours of leave on the books at that time.
Speaker 2: It was new.
Speaker 3: I walked out of there going, wow, this life is good.
Speaker 2: Only eight hours and I asked for two days.
Speaker 3: I take sixteen out of sixty.
Speaker 2: I'm good.
Speaker 3: I got it like out, I can take a lot of leave. Yeah, because you know, in the military, one day, twenty four hours, Yeah that you leave. And that's a funny story. I just thought, how grateful that I am, So you learn a lot.
Speaker 1: I heard it story years ago about ah, this was back in the day, and it was a dude Special Force. This guy he was on a mission supporting the CIA down in Central America and at the end of the trip, all the CIA guys start filling out their per diem and the SF guy goes and he starts filling his out. He's like, whoa, you're in the military. You don't get per diem. And at that point he made the decision to get out of the SF and go to the CIA.
Speaker 2: Wow. You know, this is a funny story too, because when we were down there, we got per deemed too military, right, and we made a little bit more more money than usual because we had the like we got some extra hazard pay whatever. But when we found out what those DA guys were making to go down in those operations. You know, you handle you know, you touch a grenade, there's your demo pay. You put your foot on top of the helicopter and never go anywhere. That's your that's your flight pay you have. They had they you know, they were making way more than we were, and I was like, I don't know if I want to be here that long because I got to, you know, doing these missions. I need to make a little bit more money that I'm doing because the risk factor is way up there. But you know, you start to learn a lot what you know, how it really works for people when they you know, they put their lives on the line. It's not you know, money is not everything.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you realize we were cheap, really cheap, but.
Speaker 1: It's it's a quality of life thing, you know. I think there there are some special Operations commanders out there who really don't want to let their guys go and be attachments to a DA or an FBI or whatever it is, what c I A whatever it is, because they'll see what the other side is like and get out pretty quick. But as far as you know, the the d I A T and this whole Coast Guard mission we're talking about, I mean, it's uh interesting, and it's it's kind of obscure. There's only a few stories and special Soldier of Fortune magazine that you mentioned that you sent to me actually, and then the book not your Father's Coastguard. So there's not a lot out there about you guys.
Speaker 2: No, And I think you know, the book came out because they were doing a history on where it's at today, right with the units that are out there, and you got a couple of guys that graduate Seal school now and you know they've moved it around.
Speaker 3: You see it now with these these these narcotic submarines.
Speaker 2: The Coast Guard guys out there, you know, they live like some Special Forces unit, jumping on top of you.
Speaker 3: It's amazing where it's at.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 3: I'm super happy for that because they evolved in a lot more so.
Speaker 2: But it's one of those kind of things where I try to you know, I'm still connected with all the guys I try to get. You know, they're trying to do some things at the Coach Guard Historical Museum wherever that's that. That's been a little bit of a nightmare trying to get our piece in there. And I've always said, look, today the way things are, you don't have to wait for a museum to put your stuff in because most people see it online now, right, you can. That's why I started doing that Instagram. Literally, I started putting little pieces out there trying to get things together.
Speaker 6: I got a lot to do, but I was like, hey, get it out there where somebody can see it, right where somebody can kind of recognize what this was way back then, because nobody really knows. And if you've put the story right, you know, you see there's a lot of guys in there that did a lot of good work in there, from chiefs down to like you know us, you know, petty officers all the way up to the to the to the bosses that were in there fighting to do things right and trying to get things to a good spot. So, you know, I said, don't don't don't wait on something military wise. You know, it takes a long time for them to figure things out. So and you know, get it out there as much as you can. So there's some video on YouTube. You can find it.
Speaker 3: It's you know, some old videotape stuff that they put out there.
Speaker 2: But it's not like, you know, it's not up or anything like that. But you can do a good job at it if it comes out with for.
Speaker 1: Sure, I'm looking forward to seeing whatever you guys put together. Is there anything else you want to talk about before we get going today. Is there anything that I didn't ask that you really would like to get into. No.
Speaker 2: I just thought that, you know, just exposing. And I said to the guys, who looks, there's just a hand few of us still out there, like twenty of us. I said, you try to expose it for yourself. And you know you got more than I do when you read the book. The one thing about the book, see that cover on the book. I think it was bob out of there. I think my old boss had asked me for some photos and I sent them some photos like that that that's a gray and white or black and white, but it's actually there's a there's a colored one. Those photos came out on our first tour, when everything dried up. We went out with our lieutenant. They said, hey, let's go take some photos. Move off out of here. You know, I mean, remember these memories. You know, obviously had the old thirty five millimeter. You don't have like a you know, uh, you know, a phone to do it on. Remember these moments. So basically that's what we have. We got that photo out there and then in that book. We we never got interviewed, so me and Bob's team never got interviewed. So in that book, you hear things and you see things, but there's a lot of other things that are just missing in the whole thing. So and then I found out from the right from the from the from the author that basically, oh, I didn't have enough time and I didn't call you up. But they got the photos in, which was great. But if you look at cops also, there's a series of cops where they do I think they go to Guatemala. They're obviously in Bolivia, and they showed the firefight, the post firefight.
Speaker 3: That happened down in Bolivia, and basically it's it's it's the it's the coasts that are down there.
Speaker 2: I think the coasts even I think they were actually a couple of guys that got shot up, actually you know, gave them medical rendered medical service to them, you know, patched them up real quick. And I think that one too, threw off the coast guard. And then but it's on cops, you know, they they they froze everything. They basically said, you know, don't move the lab around, don't mess with anything. They'll fly. They fly. I think they flew don feron I think his name was. He was the head of the DA at the embassy. Cops flew down there and then they flew back out there. They went out to that lab and you can see the whole pieces on cops. You know, it's a pretty intense look, and you know the amount of weaponry that was down there and the lab that was down there. But those those coast seas deserved a lot of credit to because they were actually in the firefight. Like you know, I have there. One's not here anymore, that's kill Rodriguez. But when the other one is still around. He lives close down to me, so they're still around, Like that's that's amazing to me that they were able to get through that. Yeah, you know, we were never really on tee or anything like that, and nobody really said much about it.
Speaker 1: I think we have a question from one of our viewers.
Speaker 4: Yeah, somebody asked, Gizeppie, what's the biggest or one of the biggest cases you worked on as a detective, like wired tap, mob case, something like that.
Speaker 3: Well, a double case, uh, mob, mob stolen.
Speaker 2: I think we were working on up. We were working on on on we started getting the stolen cars. So my background is like I could go down the street. I still do it now today. I can. I could figure out what the car is and why it's stolen because I can just see it from I have all these little cues that come up. So I started doing a lot of like stolen car stuff, like I would recover them, you know. I think my best was eleven in a month. And then when I got to that special unit, I had information on some stolen car stuff no one could figure out. This is when they had the uh, the emergency boxes in it where you could, you know, satellite and say, hey, you know, I'm stuck. What happens?
Speaker 3: They were removing all these boxes and I was trying to figure.
Speaker 2: Out, why did you remove these boxes?
Speaker 3: Well, little by literally I figured out.
Speaker 2: So I was dealing with Durango's, I was dealing with Hummers, I was dealing with Mercedes, I was dealing with the Lamborghinis. And I started putting things together within that system. One of my players showed up that was within the mob Philadelphia Mom and that's how that started out. So I had an auto theft case switching into a mob case at the same time. So I had the organized crime group with me and the group that out part and I mixed it together. I think we filled the garage up with like iin thirty or forty car that was stolen, and then I had like like ten motorcycles that they were just ripping.
Speaker 3: People left them right so on wiretaps.
Speaker 2: That's what It just grew to be huge. So I had to hold on to everything. I just couldn't. You know, once you take it, you know, you get a stolen car, you got to take it out of the system right now. The system goes back to the insurance company whatsoever. We couldn't do that because we didn't know if they were an insurance jobs, right. We had to hold onto everything. So it came to a point six months later where we had to make the arrest. I think at one point the attorney always, you know, says something to me. I think we started with the thirty four suspects, turns out to be nineteen at the end. One of the best moments is when I went up to Daytona, Florida, and we had to keep the cars hot because we didn't know who was involved in I think we drove three stolens down. I was on a car in a car that wasn't stolen because I was leaving the group and we still would. We also brought a stolen Danzie down or a scare of one of the two. We had to make sure that Florida Highward Control didn't come by us and try to run one of those tags or the boat number, because they would have been hot, trust me, they would. They would have had to stop on us. And you know, when I worked in that unit, guys have beers, you know, they a looved like cops. So we were taking everything back down to our warehouse where we had warehouse. But that case was amazing to me because it was just it just highlighted where we were at on things, for sure. So but I did some mob cases up in you know, New York Philly for sure. Always interesting, you know. So, but you know I still watch myself today, So I always watched the rear room mirror.
Speaker 1: Well, I'll be keeping my eye out to see you know what you and your former teammates put together on all of this. The book you know, not your Father's Coast Guard. You guys can find that on Amazon or wherever if you want to give it a read. Is there anywhere are you on why don't you plug your Instagram and send people there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, basically I got it under dat, you know, Drug Indition, Assist Team. It's uh, it's kind of brand new, and that's what I put on. That whole thing is drugging in addition and Assist Team D D period, I period, A period, T period, and then team. So that's it. So I put it out there. I'm trying to do more to it. So you know, I have a bunch of stuff that that if I don't get it out there, it's probably gonna die with me.
Speaker 3: Nobody's ever going to see it.
Speaker 2: And that's what I tell the guys, like, hey, try to get it out there, so it's people can see it out there, because if you leave things like they don't see it, it's nobody gonna see it.
Speaker 3: So I would, hey, send it to me. I'll get it out there eventually.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, no, that's great. I'm really glad that you're doing that. And again, Gioseppe, thank you for doing this interview.
Speaker 2: Really appreciate it, and I'm grateful and humbled that you reached out to me and super grateful that I can get this story out and I appreciate it very much.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, absolutely, Man and everyone else, thank you for joining us today. I hope you enjoyed this slice of Coast Guard history and we'll see you next time.
Speaker 2: Thank you,