Speaker 1: Hi, I'm Karen MARCIONI your host for the Hope Show, inspired by my book Hope How Other People Endure, which is about everyday people overcoming life's challenges. Today on the Hope Show, I am honored to have and to welcome a woman whose life is a testament to resilience, courage, and unwavering service. Francisca Uanz was born in Puerto Rico and raised right here in Patterson, New Jersey. She is the proud mother of three grown children and a joyful grandmother to three beautiful grand babies. And I just learned one more on the way. Francisca has dedicated her life to lifting others up. She is a passionate community activist, a domestic violence coach, and a certified counselor in Drug and Alcohol Awareness. She also received specialization Specialized certification in Human Trafficking Coach, doing the most work that people can't imagine, standing in the gaps where hope is needed most. Alongside her full time role as an LPN nurse, she is also the CEO and host of her podcast, No Longer Silent, a space where she empowers others to speak their truth and reclaim their voice. In her spare time. I don't know when she finds it, but she finds comfort in reading and listening to music, and she continues to pursue more education, driven by her desire to help others overcome the darkest chapters of their lives. Her motto is I don't look like what I've been through, And today she is here to share her story, her strength, and her hope. Francisco, welcome to the Hope Show.
Speaker 2: Here with you is ready to honor. Thank you so much.
Speaker 1: Well, thank you, Franciscott. Your motto is powerful. I don't look like what I've been through. When you say that, what part of your journey rises to the surface.
Speaker 3: First, surviving domestic violence, Wow, Saviban domestic violence. I went through a very and I can call it a horrifying situation, nothing that I wish on any woman. So when I truly I stand by that model very strongly.
Speaker 1: Wow. And people can that you're working with that have been in that same situation, you can totally relate to what they're going through.
Speaker 3: Well, absolutely absolutely, Because I came from violent which was physical and verbal, you know, unimaginable things that I would never think would be done to me, you know, my seventeen years.
Speaker 2: He raped me.
Speaker 1: Oh, you know, he.
Speaker 2: Knocked me down the stairs.
Speaker 3: And you know, I'm permanently with pain on my right right ankle holding it up with nails, black guys, scars, scars that you can name anywhere in my body. So when I talk to somebody that's going through that, I let them know that I'm sorry. It's always going to be the same thing, and the verbal and the physical abuse is not going to stop.
Speaker 1: Wow, that's horrible and I'm so sorry you had to live through that, but I'm glad you're here and helping others. You've dedicated your life to serving the community. What moment or experience first ignited that passion within you.
Speaker 3: For the community activists, the injustice, the injustice. I'm against guns and we are losing our use to the streets and seniors that are lacking a lot of services and also abuse, and I also advocate for autism to Oh, if they're non verbal, they're also abused.
Speaker 1: Right right, Well, those are amazing things that you're doing. Unbelievable growing up between Puerto Rico and Patterson. What pieces of your upbringing shape the woman you are today?
Speaker 3: I love my heart is I love the food and the climate. I gotta say, I'm a Caribbean woman. I love thee I love Patterson, but right now it's like too cold. Yeah, it's too cold for me. So I love my average. I love it anywhere words hot all right?
Speaker 1: Wow, Yes, I think now everyone's thinking of the Caribbean.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Was there a specific turning point where you realized my pain is going to become someone else's hope? Oh?
Speaker 2: Absolutely?
Speaker 3: I like that, Yeah absolutely, because before in the past, I was ashamed.
Speaker 2: You know, I can admit that I was a shame.
Speaker 3: I didn't want to admit what was being done to me because somebody would actually think, oh, how can your husband rape you when it's not consensual? Yes, it's rat Oh how can you, you know, tolerate so many years of that abuse.
Speaker 2: There should have been a way out, but there wasn't. No resources.
Speaker 3: And now I'm glad to say that I'm speaking up and more and more are coming out saying I was verbally abused, I was physically both. And when they see me come out of that situation like with a smile and doing what I'm doing now, I give them a hope that you can change because I really don't look like what I went through.
Speaker 1: Right now, you don't traumatize. I'm not damaged, and you look beautiful.
Speaker 3: So they see them and be like, oh my god, it was ready for meal. I said not one time, several times, so they were like, you would probably be damaged, bitter and no.
Speaker 1: And not and that's that's what keeps you you going. And you had mentioned earlier that your faith had a big part of helping you.
Speaker 2: Absolutely.
Speaker 1: Can you talk a little bit about your fig.
Speaker 3: Well, the six years were wonderful in the marriage, but after that, when I started seeing the verbal and physical abuse, I started going to people and you know, weren't believe in it or telling me to fix it. I started always praying, something I didn't do before, but I started praying. I said, God, you know what, get me out of this situation. No one should be living this way. And I could say that, you know, in twenty thirteen, he did do it and got me out of that situation. And I'm just grateful that. You know, I'm not encouraging nobody to not get counseling. I didn't and because I just my faith grew with him and he got me out of it.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: So right.
Speaker 3: Faith does work, and he is amazing and he still keeps being amazing in my life.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Absolutely. We do have one comment from the chat box. Let's Antonia Davis said, you are amazing her love and compassion for others. It's incredible and I can see that and hear it in your voice. Many people who experienced trauma never speak out. A friend of recently, a friend of mine, you know, with with ice arresting people, it seems that they're going after, you know, someone that just doesn't look like them, so to speak. And a friend of mine is really embarrassed to talk about it because her son was was arrested and detained for hours and they had to hire a lawyer. And you know, luckily they were able to do that. However, in other situations where there are there are traumas and or you know, arrests are made. You create a podcast called No Longer Silent, whether it's regarding domestic abuse or injustice. What helped you reclaim your voice?
Speaker 3: Knowing that I'm not the only one, Oh for sure, I'm not only one, and talking about your testimony is it's powerful because when someone knows that you went through, you would reach out to many and say, listen, I went through that, and I got to say, it's not just women. I've had men now coming out, which is amazing because the stigma of the men is that they're mantra and they can't go through that, how can they get abused? But yeah, men can be abused too. So you lot are coming out and through my no longer that it was rebirthed in twenty twenty three. I'm grateful for the opportunity because now we do. I touch on domestic bondents, for the red flags, how to get out of a toxic relationship.
Speaker 2: I tap child abuse also to educate you know.
Speaker 3: The no, the signs, no touching, or why not to permit, don't even with your boyfriend if you're starting, you know, because it's not their children. So alcohol, addiction, I tap on everything.
Speaker 1: Wow, that's wonderful. As a domestic violence coach, you sit with people in their darkest moments. How do you hold space for others while taking care of your own heart? Oh?
Speaker 2: Good question.
Speaker 3: Sometimes it's heart wrenching because you can hear something from someone else far worser than your testimony, far worse, and when you hear it, it can be a death of a child and they're coming out of it. So I had one case like that where the boyfriend killed the.
Speaker 1: Two year old, Oh my god.
Speaker 3: Drown them out the window, and she had it come to terms to live with the law of our child and to forgive.
Speaker 2: Him to move on.
Speaker 3: But once you told me that, listen, I got kids and they're growing in I got grandkids.
Speaker 2: I don't think that.
Speaker 3: It could be such a hur or profound to get over something like that.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 2: Wow, that and resonates in the stays with me.
Speaker 3: Wow.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Oh, I just I can't even imagine. You know, your children are blessed, blessed and sacred to us, and to have that happen. Wow. So you have certifications in drug and alcohol awareness, substance counseling, and human trafficking coaching. What led you to pursue such emotionally demanding areas of service because some.
Speaker 3: People think it's not happening and believe it or not, there is right, you know, not too long ago, a couple of weeks ago, there was a house where they had you know, children, teenagers that were being trafficking recently and locally, yeah, locally, So you would think it's not happening, but it is and you have to be very careful.
Speaker 2: And as for our.
Speaker 3: Children, one of the main reasons I thought that is because I caught a thirteen year old smoking cigarettes. And it starts with and I asked her, what are you doing smoking ciga? Are you're supposed to be in school right right now? Something happened at home. I don't feel good and I didn't feel going. There was an argument between the parents and they didn't feel like going to school. But instead she was in front of a facility smoking cigarettes and that was thirteen.
Speaker 1: Wow. So and she's lucky you came by.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I told her to go to school, and I mentored it a little bit, and I told her this that whatever's happening at home, you know, you can get help. There's a counseling in this school reach out. You know, parents can't get mad if you if your child seek that because they have to have an outlet.
Speaker 1: Of course, of course, because of some of the things that are happening in our schools, you know, the gun violence. Hopefully they don't have guns, but you know, some of these troublesome years of childhood lead to students doing other things. When you hear someone say I don't think I'll ever recover.
Speaker 3: What do you tell them It's possible. It's possible because you do recover. But it's your mindset that has to change. Well, you can't stay stuck in that. I'm a domestic violence survivor. I could have stayed stuck in my trauma, right, I could have won another avenue, and I chose to rebuild and reinvent myself.
Speaker 2: And say this and I can do this. I can really do this.
Speaker 3: So for someone to say to me, I can't recover, you gotta tell me why, give me your reasons? Okay, and we'll have a conversation. Because if I can do it, I see many do it. You can do it.
Speaker 2: So you just got to get words of encouragement.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and it's so much of it is a mindset and it may take a long time. It doesn't happen overnight. I am sure, but there is the possibility you can do. It can be done, and you're an example of it. Wow. So you're a mom and a grandmother. What do your children and grandbabies mean to you in this season of your life?
Speaker 2: A hold on a whole lot.
Speaker 3: They're my motivation, really, my motivation and now to see the new generation is an impact for me because I gotta say, my first grandson, who's Don ten, whenever he sees me out there doing stuff, he just tells me, I want to be like you.
Speaker 2: Oh I love what you're doing. Oh how precious is that? So when you.
Speaker 3: See that, it encourages you more and more and more to just go out there and continue when you have that support and motivations. So they are really you know, my air, the air that I breathe and anything that I do. And basically I'm leaving them like the legacy to continue on what I'm doing.
Speaker 1: Oh that's so wonderful. Oh my, to have your grandchild say I want to be like you. How wonderful. We have another conference. A comment from Latona trafficking is very bad, and they are after our children even though it doesn't matter now, they are after everyone. Oh, out said, and trust the process, Trust the process. It's what she's said, and.
Speaker 3: She's right, she's absolutely, because we just can't say it's just children.
Speaker 2: We have teenagers, we have women.
Speaker 3: We also have men becomingly when I'm coming across as children and teenagers.
Speaker 1: Right right when life feels heavy, what do you personally turn to for comfort, A book, a song, a quiet moment.
Speaker 3: I do three things because what I do is like I have the weight of the world, and I honestly have to say I have the weight of the world on me with a lot of responsibilities. So one of the things I started doing was meditating. I turn on candles and I meditate. I'll listen to gossip of music because that really winds me down. And I love reading.
Speaker 2: I love reading.
Speaker 1: That's great, that's great. Meditation is it's so great for any of us. I took a course, you know, and it's you know, when things get really difficult, if we just take some time to quiet ourselves and to breathe, it can make all the difference.
Speaker 2: I signed on that with you. Absolutely.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So people might not realize how much courage it takes to start healing, like the like a person who doesn't think they can heal. What was one small step and a small brave step that you took early.
Speaker 3: On knowing the fact that I wanted to divorce from the individual, and later on it happening and thinking of the responsibility, the financial, the children, and I got scared, you know, I really got scared. Because I was like, Okay, now it's not to win comes. Now it's just me and we have to survive. So you guess I'm not even to tell anybody that's not scary. But then I thought, do I want to go back to that situation? Do I want to go through all that stuff that he made me go through? And I just said, you know what, God, you got me out of that situation. Let me take on another job or something. I was like, but I am gonna do it, and I'm gonna show people that you can after the trauma, move forward and do succeed.
Speaker 2: You know, I paid my.
Speaker 3: Rent, I took on another job several I modeled cash was coming in from that, so I went into a radio station. Advertisement came into that. So when I started realizing that you can do it?
Speaker 2: Is it possible?
Speaker 3: I encourage people don't be afraid, don't stay in a relationship because of financials, and don't stay because of.
Speaker 2: The children, because you can do it.
Speaker 3: Something in here and your gut will say you can do this and not be afraid.
Speaker 1: Right right, Oh, that's really great advice. I mean, I can imagine how scary it would be, but knowing God helped you get out of a relationship. He will continue to help things continue on. Wow, so your story reaches survivors of trauma, addiction, violence, and silence. What message do you hope they hear in your voice today.
Speaker 3: That I turned my pain to purpose. Yes, and I really don't.
Speaker 2: Look like what I went through.
Speaker 3: I'm proud of myself to have overcame so much that should have destroyed me right, you know, inside and out. And I can just say that it took a whole year for me to love myself, reinvent myself, and find myself and to actually be able to look in the mirror and see what I like looking.
Speaker 2: Back at me because I couldn't.
Speaker 3: He used to say I was ugly worthless, And it took a while for me to look at the mirror and actually see if there was an imperfection.
Speaker 1: Wow, so many things that are not true. But I don't understand how some can be so mean. But it's the same thing as we were talking earlier. You were speaking to some children yesterday and I was a teacher, and we would have some parents come in and talk about the bullying of young girls some boys today and how it can lead to suicide and how dangerous. You know, these things that go on with young kids today possibly because of social media. It has a lot to do with it. How do you try to reach these young girls that get so caught up in their social media and what other people think.
Speaker 2: Well, social media has it's not going away.
Speaker 3: Unfortunately, it has a very impact, especially these challenges, right, you know, which I don't agree with, But sometimes I gotta say, as parents, we put the limits, you know, we have to be I was a parent that was very involved with my children, knowing what they were doing.
Speaker 2: I was involved with school. I sheltered them a.
Speaker 3: Little bit from being outside because my mindset was, like, you get in trouble, it falls back on me. So basically in the home you have to notice set the limits. Like back then, they really didn't have social media like now. So with the younger generation you have to like put parental control, you know, because it has a lot of influence. They'll tell you certain things that I'm not you know, I don't approve.
Speaker 1: Right. It's hard. And I have a twenty eight year old son and as he was growing up, social media started to become you know, really important. It didn't really affect him, but I also know that you know. Hopefully the parental challenges, parental controls can work because I have to ask him about things with technology in today's world, and it's important, and I've always told him be careful with what you post because a lot of that can come out, and when you're older and looking for a job, your employer can check those that your email or your social media page. People look people up on social media, and you always want to have your best foot forward and or not even go on them so that there's not anything negative that can come from it.
Speaker 3: And I'm gonna pig youback on that with you what you just said. Sometimes when you're coming out of colleges or applying for colleges.
Speaker 2: They really look at that as your resume.
Speaker 3: They see what you're doing, and sometimes that affects you.
Speaker 1: Yes, especially if you're taking pictures while you're drinking or at a party, it's.
Speaker 2: Throughout of craziness. They look at that. So you have to.
Speaker 3: Be very careful what you pose right, very careful because it's out there for the whole world to see, and that's the image you're bringing and they don't want that into college or they definitely they want that for their company.
Speaker 2: So you have to be very mindful.
Speaker 1: Right right, And going back talking about the younger children, parents need to really be involved in their children's lives because there's a lot of stuff that goes on out there. Absolutely, and I think sheltering them is better than not being involved.
Speaker 2: Absolutely parents. Really, I emphasize.
Speaker 3: That I talk a lot on my podcast on lots of stuff, but I know sometimes we live like a hectic life with work and stuff.
Speaker 2: But you have to you know, there's twenty four hours in the day.
Speaker 3: I say, if you've worked from a nine to five eight to five, you still have like an hour or two before they go to bed.
Speaker 2: To ask them how it was school. You know, let me check your homework, right, You know, if they.
Speaker 3: Have phones, you're entitled, if you're paying the bill, you're entitled to look through their phone to see if you see anything weird. Because we have to step up to the plate and acknowledge the fact that our kids cannot be you know without us, right right, No, without us, because some have grown and think that you can't tell them nothing. Now as long as you're under my room, different story right there, you gotta listen to me.
Speaker 1: Still, Yeah, absolutely, Latona has another question statement that she said, how did you gain your and it didn't finish something. She is amazing with youth. You are amazing with youth. I saw her being interviewed by a ten year old and speaking of bullying and the flags and God can and it came off. But a ten year old interviewed you.
Speaker 2: Yes, that is my lovely knees Trinity. I love her.
Speaker 3: She actually interviewed me and there was some questions. She asked me that I was well, and there's one that I have to throw up here. You know about the red flags and you know about the greenish gil She asked me what was the yellow?
Speaker 1: Oh? And I was like, well, I don't even know that.
Speaker 3: And I told the listen to the best of none of I'm just gonna throw it out there. Slow down because that's exactly what the yellow mean when you're driving.
Speaker 2: Oh. But I commend her because she did interview me. She really asked me, and I think that was a bonus question.
Speaker 1: Wow, that's amazing. So there are different colors that they yeah, that mean different things. I'm clueless, Well, the red is reflax that you have to know some of the stuff that he does to you, like you know I educate the youth and where if your boyfriend's trying to change your way of dressing, right, friends, isolation, those are reflags right right? Okay, recently someone told me, you know, there's a chapter in the Bible, I think it's Tewod Carinthians where they talk about love. And what she said is put the boyfriend's name or friend in front of those words. And if he is kind, if he doesn't judge, if he is polite, all of those things. If he's doing all those things, then it's a good man or good friend. But if he's not doing those things, maybe it's a red flag.
Speaker 2: Yes it is, Yes it is.
Speaker 1: What does hope look like to you now after everything you've endured and overcome?
Speaker 2: Well, good question.
Speaker 3: I figure my life now is now in a civil lining. You know, it's heading towards the right direction because you have to have passion in what you do a lot of passion, patience. And the one thing about me is that I love helping someone. You know, I'm their ear, and I see hope in everything I'm doing. But I meet everybody that I work with halfway right. You know, I don't push nothing on. I would love everybody to get out of the toxic relationship.
Speaker 1: And not get right.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, that would be my hope right there.
Speaker 3: But the fact that I'm helping now and that there's more and more people coming out, more organizations, you know, helping out also, and that it's no longer something that's being kept silence.
Speaker 1: Right right, That's that's good. And what advice would you give to somebody who's in who's deciding whether they should leave a relationship.
Speaker 3: Well, when I'm mentor and I speak, I allow them to tell me what's going on as to I want you to leave. You know, I don't do none of that because we seldom see that they go back, and then that will avoid from coming to speaking to me again because I'm pushing more, like you gotta be.
Speaker 2: I walk through through the process like what did he do? How do you feel when he did that?
Speaker 3: What exactly you want to come out of that relationship? What you're looking for? And then once they tell me why I want to leave because I can't take no more the physical abuse of verbal and then I go into like a world vital complaint. You know, there's door restrain and order, change the locks on your door and make sure police escort comes and picks his clothes. Uh, if they really want to get out of the relationship.
Speaker 1: Wow, Wow, I can understand why that would be a big step in someone's life, and yet they will feel so much better after the fact.
Speaker 2: Absolutely.
Speaker 3: I gotta tell you, I felt like a bird in a cage, a bird in a cage when I literally did that divorce.
Speaker 2: It's like I saw myself lying. I say, here we go.
Speaker 1: Oh see that. Wow, I can just picture it. Yeah, you're free, a free Wow. So if you could speak to the younger version of yourself, the one before the storms, what would you tell her?
Speaker 2: I'm proud of you. You came so far.
Speaker 3: You didn't let anything of that defeat you, you know, and you're strong and continue to stay that way.
Speaker 1: That's wonderful. What's next for you? What dreams or goals are you excited to bring into reality as you continue helping others?
Speaker 2: Well, I'm meantitate to God.
Speaker 3: We are in need of a facility, a safe haven in the city of Patison for domestic and I wanted to be open not only to domestic for anything that's going on, anything traumatizing, alcohol, drugs, you name it. But I really want a building so they can service for counseling. Also that they can find, you know, a safe haven where they won't.
Speaker 2: Get hurt, you know, undisclosed.
Speaker 3: So that is in my goal and that's what I want to actually deal hopefully and not just Patterson where the need where the facilities are needed.
Speaker 2: So I'm looking out of Patterson also.
Speaker 1: Okay, Well, I will be praying for you for that. And if somebody has information that could help you, how can they reach you?
Speaker 3: Well on Facebook I'm Francisco Nunions and that's my strong platform where I release a lot of information. And also my phone number is public which is ninety seven three ninety seven nine four two eighty eight. Anyone, I mean, anyone that is in need. It doesn't have to even be domestic.
Speaker 1: I'm not a resource box, right, you are full of information? Raises any last thoughts for our listeners.
Speaker 3: I just want to say to our listeners that never tolerate disrespect. Look for your safety. When something is you know, troubling you and it's not for you and it's in your spirit, just walk away, Just walk away. Because I always say love is not supposed to her. It's beautiful.
Speaker 1: And we're like.
Speaker 3: Flowers, you know, we're like flowers, and you know, love yourself, love yourself enough to not tolerate anything in your surrounding. And I mean it not only for domestic I mean it like family wise too. If there's something that's unnerving you, it's okay to walk away, right right. For peace, It's okay to walk away.
Speaker 1: I did it, Yeah, peace. Wow. As we close today's episode, I want to take a moment to honor the courage of our guest, Francisca Nuniez. Francisca, You've shown us that resilience isn't loud, it's steady. It's the quiet strength of a woman who has walked through storms and still chooses to stand in her purpose. It's the voice of someone who has been silenced but refuses to say silent any longer. Your story today reminded us that healing is not just possible, it is powerful, and our past does not define us, it prepares us. You've lived those words. I don't look like I've been what I've been through, and in doing so, you've given others permission to believe the same about themselves. To everyone listening, may Francisco's journey encourage you to speak your truth, to break the silence that held you back, and to believe that there is beauty waiting on the other side of your pain. Remember, hope is in something we find once. It's something we choose every day, in our healing, in our growth, and in our willingness to rise. Francisco, thank you for your heart, your honesty, and your unwavering commitment to helping others find their voice.
Speaker 2: Thank you, thank you.
Speaker 1: In my book, I pair a song with each story, and I've decided to do that with each episode and for you, I found a song called Unstoppable, with lyrics by Canny c Ani and Fearless Soul. You're a masterpiece, a light for all the world to see. You've come so far and you've survived every moment, shaped your fire inside. You're so bold. Don't you hide. The world needs your strength, don't deny it. Hold your head up high and own it. This is your time. You've always known it. You're unstoppable, unshakable, incredible, irreplaceable. Thank you listeners for joining me today on The Hope Show. If you have a story of resilience or transformation, I would love to hear it. Remember every story yours included May have the power to help someone through their healing and be the light someone else needs today. Let's keep Hope alive together. This program is made possible through sponsors and our listeners and friends. To make a donation or become a sponsor, please click on my profile to connect, contribute, or share your story. Tune in to all the uplifting programs on sosradio dot Live every Sunday starting at nine point thirty on sosradio dot Live. I'm Karen MARCIONI be well, stay hopeful, and until next Sunday at three pm on sosradio dot Live